Speaker 1: What do you do when life doesn't go according to plan that moment you lose a job, or a loved one, or even a piece of yourself. I'm Brookshields and this is now What, a podcast about pivotal moments as told by people.
Speaker 2: Who lived them.
Speaker 1: Each week, I sit down with a guest to talk about the times they were knocked off course and what they did to move forward. Some stories are funny, others are gut wrenching, but all are unapologetically human and remind us that every success and every setback is accompanied by a choice, and that choice answers one question.
Speaker 2: Now, what.
Speaker 3: Will Ferrell now technically is one of my employers, and he's a lovely friend, and like that's bizarre. It's like it's weird to be among them now and to have relationships with them.
Speaker 2: So I've spent much time with him.
Speaker 1: Yes, because Chris, my husband, was one of the three people that ran ran the company and started Funnier Die.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: They just came, he and his wife and sons came to my daughter's basketball game, you know, and I thought, Okay, I hope everybody's cool. When Will walks into the state, you know, to the watch the game, and so.
Speaker 2: Everybody was like fine.
Speaker 1: Then we started listening to the girls and the girls were like, yeah, yeah, yeah, we know that's Will Ferrell, but oh my god, his son is hot career. My younger one was like, mom, all your all your friends' kids have grown up to be like super hot and they were. You know, there went from these skinny little boys that were annoying to these like honky guys. Hello listeners, did you miss me? I'm excited to announce that now what is back? After an eventful September break, spent the month performing my one woman show, previously owned by Burke Shields. It's been a whirlwind, but I am very grateful to have worked on something deeply meaningful, and I've loved being back on stage making people laugh and hopefully giving them a little bit of entertainment. Speaking of making people laugh, my guest today is very funny.
Speaker 2: Bowen Yang is a comedian.
Speaker 1: A writer, an actor, and the co host of the critically acclaimed podcast Last Culturistess. He has a fascinating story filled with the most unexpected pivots.
Speaker 2: Case in point.
Speaker 1: He worked as a graphic designer until twenty eighteen, when, after years of writing and performing comedy on the side. He got a job at Saturday Night Live. Bowen is one of the most thoughtful people I've interviewed, and I was blown away by his patients and his generosity. So without further ado, here's Bowen Yang.
Speaker 2: Bohen Yang. So nice to know you.
Speaker 1: I'm doing the thing right now that I that I always think I'm not going to do. But I feel like I know you because I watch you and you I laugh with you, and you're in my home and so I'm like, oh, hi, but we don't know each other.
Speaker 2: So nice to meet you.
Speaker 3: Nice to meet you. What if we're like both coming from that same place? Though, Like, isn't do we skip a couple of steps? I feel like we're allowed to.
Speaker 2: I think, you do? I think? And where you live in New York? Correct?
Speaker 3: I do? I do? Where are you right now?
Speaker 2: I'm in New York.
Speaker 1: I'm born and bred raised in Manhattan Night, so I'm a native New York Right, And where were you raised?
Speaker 3: I was raised in mostly an Aurora, Colorado. But before that, so between Australia and Colorado, I was in Brisbane for six months, so I barely so I don't remember a single thing. But then we moved to Canada. Oh wow, we did a lot of moving between, Like we moved a lot within Canada, and then when we moved from Montreal to Colorado, that was like a huge shift.
Speaker 2: God.
Speaker 3: I remember taking French in school and then I had to like really to like really understand, like, oh okay, I get, like English is the language you're gonna be speaking. Now.
Speaker 2: What were you like as a little kid.
Speaker 3: I mean, don't we all like as adults, like look back on ourselves as kids and go like, I was pretty precocious. But no, it's like we were just we were we were we were kids when we were kids. Does that make sense. I feel like I had to toorialize my childhood in a way sometimes when I talk about it, and I need to be honest with you Brookshields about how like I was like just a pretty normal kid and hammy. But that was like the way the way into like the new schools in these new social environments was just to be like silly and goofy, and as soon as you ran out of your own material, you would like go home and wat TV shows and like I would watch SNL and Seinfeld and like the Simpsons and Friends, and Matt TV and like and you know Drew Carey Show, and like I just like consumed all of that to like regurgitate it the next day at school. And that was like the cycle for me.
Speaker 1: That was my favorite thing to do is just be alone in my room and the complete dark watching SNL. Oh and it's interesting that you mentioned SNL because I was fascinated to learn that you were actually pre med in college.
Speaker 3: I was, yeah, this is and this is like I still like always think about this sort of time and like this is this is my like now what like this is the thing that like defines like so much about like the way my life is gone is like it could have gone like the sliding doors of it could have really gone another way. And yeah, it's it was it was I was pre med and then uh, comedy was just this like hobby I was doing in college. But I would always hang out with like the comedy kids, like the people who were in the sketch groups, the people who were in the improv groups, and like we would go to each other shows, like throw each other parties. Like it was like that was like my reality, Like that was what I was going into. That was what I was surrounded by every day. And then I don't know if like that's what like seeped in or if that's like something that I just like naturally gravitated towards.
Speaker 1: Was there fear surrounding sort of pursuing acting professionally?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, and like fe fear in the ways of like I'm not being educated or trained in this, and then fear and then and then just the baseline fear that comes with like working in this business anyway, but like applies to everybody.
Speaker 2: Did your parents support support it? This is a big shift for their son totally?
Speaker 3: Well, they they kind of they sort of saw it coming. They like they would ask about how school was going, and all I would talk about was, you know, doing comedy festivals or something. And then they were like, okay, but we mean, like you know, like classes and you know, you're extracurriculars and like med school and like all this stuff.
Speaker 1: And I would just be like, oh, right, did they want you to go to pre med? I mean, did they want you to be a doctor?
Speaker 3: If you ask them now, they would say no, they did not care either way. But of course, like they say that because it all worked out. But I think, right, But I think. I mean, at the time, there was there was some pressure I do I do need to give them more credit. Now I find it sort of convenient in my own mind to be like, oh, well, they were hard on me and they like pressured me to like go into this. But I mean, at the end of the day, they were like any other parent where they were just like, we just want you to be happy. And so when I told them, and there was a there was a moment where I was taking my mcat the second time at one one pen Plaza, like right next to MSG. It was during the written section that I got to, like the written section of the test. And then I remembered this interview that Steve Carell had done out filling out his law school applications because like comedy wasn't really working out for him in Chicago, and he was like applying to law school and then he got to the written section of his law school application and said, I can't do this, like the comedy is the only thing I can do, and then he just didn't he just didn't finish the application. And then I flashed back so clearly to that interview, to reading that like a year or two ago, that I was like, I can't do this, and then I nullified. I avoided my exam. I told the proctor I was like I need to leave, like I don't think I can finish this.
Speaker 1: And they were like, oh, so you got up in the middle and just yeah, put your pencil down and just said what a revelation in that moment and how you had the guts to actually get up and walk out.
Speaker 3: But I was in this like weird day's fugue and then like I remember just like walking down to the street, like getting out of the building and calling my parents and being like mom, Dad, like I just did this thing and I think it's I think I I think I have to do it. And they were like, and this is the moment where I think I need to give them some credit work because they were just like, Okay, well if you feel that it's what you have to do, then we believe you.
Speaker 2: Did you panic after oh yeah, I think I think I was.
Speaker 3: Oh gosh, I'm so bad at these things and I need to talk to my therapist about this more. But like I can't quite identify like what.
Speaker 2: That's okay, I'm here.
Speaker 3: How much should I Billy? You? Are you in network.
Speaker 2: No, you know, first one's on the house.
Speaker 3: Oh great, great, great, thank goodness. I but yeah, I think it was like some sort of anxiety moment, an episode of something where I was just like rocketing out of this situation that I'd been in for four years where it's like I'm going to be I'm on this path, I'm on the rails to like be this doctor. And then it just and this critical moment, I was just like no, like it cannot continue.
Speaker 1: So you decide you're going to you make that huge pivot, which is truly an amazing not what moment? What did you do to break in so to speak to the business.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I well, first of all, my parents were like, we're gonna help you with like your rent for another like a few months.
Speaker 2: And then after that, you were they living in Colorado? Still?
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, and they still are. They're they're they're they're having a great time. There, lots of nature for them to enjoy. They were like, you sort of have to figure it out in New York and then if you can't really hack it in a year, then you should move back home with us. And so there were stakes involved immediately, obviously, not that there weren't already, but at that point I had been pretty aimless. I was taking classes at this theater in the city, the Upper Citizens Brigade.
Speaker 1: I love UCP, Yeah, uc B, Yeah, it was I just I've done some of their their nighttime shows.
Speaker 3: That's right. The yeah, I remember you did monologues for like the Harold or the ass Cat or like yeah those shows. Yeah, and so yeah, like it was, it was I was trying. I was like I was like finding people within that little coterie of like people who were taking classes at the same time as me, and then we started little sketch groups andprop groups and then and then we were just fortunate enough that like you know, management sort of like took notice and they would come to shows, they would sign people, and people would get plucked up and you know, raptured into like the sky. And then like I I was like pounding the papent for like a few years like they were. It was about like five ish years of just like doing shows, not knowing if anybody would come, not knowing if anybody cared, booking people, just trying to make it work. But then the thing that you don't realize is you developed that is you develop reps. You like put in the hard yards. You like you've bombed enough times that you're not scared of bombing anymore. You have met people that you don't realize you're gonna work with for the rest of your life. And I mean it's all these really nice things that build up with time and with like experience.
Speaker 4: Well, you've talked about your parents and the more positive relationship that that you had with them and the support that they gave you over the years for your career, but then you've also been very open about a more fraught time in your relationship with them, which is when you came out.
Speaker 2: Can you talk a little bit about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I came out not quite on my own terms. Mom came home one day, used the family computer, remember those like you used the family computer computer? Yeah, yeah, yeah, And then like you know, saw some like proof or whatever, and like there was no there was no there was it was irrefutable evidence, and so you know, my parents were these are these two very scientific people. And then I think I think in some ways, like scientific people end up being a little bit more dogmatic sometimes, right, and they feel like there are solutions to problems or that there are like axioms that have to be like addressed in a certain way. And they I think they saw my sexuality, my queerness is something that had to be like addressed rather than you know, understood or celebrated. I think they I think they saw it as like this anomalous thing. And I don't fully I don't fully blame them. I think they were I mean, what they were telling me was they were like, we never we did not grow up around any people like this when we were kids. And I kept saying, even as a teenager, I was I knew. I was like, no, you did. You just didn't ever hear about them because you were living in this like culture that like never incentivized or motivated people to do this or to be public about this, right, And so they it was just a lot of I'd seen the pain I had caused, and then at a certain point I convinced myself, like I have to do something to like solve this, like I'd seen my dad cry once before.
Speaker 1: And then but what you said, the pain you caused just by being you, Well, yeah, that's the way you interpreted it.
Speaker 3: That's the way at the time. At the time, it felt like it was my fault that my dad was crying every single day, and so my parents, my dad would drive me down to Colorado Springs, a home of like the megachurches and you know, focus on the family and all this stuff, where there's there's just like a pretty interesting community of like conversion therapists there. I mean there aren't there anymore. It's been it's been made illegal now thankfully, but at the time very much this like weirdly legitimized school of thought within like psychology or whatever of like clinical psychology, and went to go see this doctor. Basically it was eight weeks of this. It was getting pathologized on like my desire, which like you know, I've like since then spend a lot of time like sort of healing from. And but I will say, like the the now, what of that really has Like it's put me in a position now where I like I never second guess, I never questioned anything about myself. Now it's like if like, especially when it comes to like my my queerness, I'm just like no, Like this is like it's been I've I've been at war with myself, you know, and like I want.
Speaker 1: Do you remember the tipping point when you when you decided to tell your parents this is who I am and I won't.
Speaker 3: Change it was it was end of college because basically this this all happened senior year of high school and they gave me this ultimate and they were like, you're gonna go and then you're gonna go to New York where your sister is, and like she had this very unenviable job of being like the intermediary between my parents and me, and she was put in a really tough position. But then she left and then I came back out again in college to everybody, and then by senior year, I was just like this is there's no like I can't hide this. It just it really was like a daily exercise of a daily strain of being like, all right, what am I going to say to my parents about this? And you know what am I going to say when they ask me about that? And it just became this like wait and it just it just at a certain time, it's a little too much to bear.
Speaker 1: Literally, does your relationship readily heal?
Speaker 3: No, certainly not. It took a while, but then but then it was like and like my parents had like never asked me about anyone I was dating, even before I was out of the closet. They like they were not interested in that at all. And then like I think it was two summers ago, I just went to the grocery store with my mom and Atlanta. My sister lives in Atlanta now she's got three kids. Just like everyone's doing great. But yeah, we went to my mom and I went to the grocery store and then she just asked out an nowhere. She was like, are you seeing anybody? Are you have a boyfriend? I was like no, But there was something so like there was just something so emotionally impactful about that about her just being curious about her asking me unprompted, like, you know, what's your life? Like, that's incredible that it was nice.
Speaker 1: I'd love to talk to you about SNL because it's yeah, dream come true for so many people.
Speaker 2: How did that come about? So?
Speaker 3: I was in this sketch group in New York for a while and then one of our members sent in a packet to submit herself as a writer. Her named Sudie Green. She worked there for six years. She was a writing supervisor, very prolific person in her time there. But she was the first person we were like twenty three. She was the first person to get sort of like I'm going to use this sword again, like raptured up into the spaceship that was like SNL. We were like, oh my god, like someone's made it. Like it was such a moment, you know, we were like, is this like a rising tide sort of thing, like you know, are we all gonna like come up with her or whatever? And it seemed for a second like we just needed to give her time to like develop, because I mean, her first year at SNL was really tough, and it always is for everybody, but especially for her. I think like she was entering the show at a time when it was super competitive within the show, like this is right way, and like Kate McKinnon was doing Hillary, and like you know, there were so many eyes on it. So I didn't ever consider being on the show or being involved in any way. As someone who grew up loving it, obsessed with it. I would bring vhs is to school the next day, not of like the best ofs, but I would just I would just record the night before or that or that weekend's SNL and bring it to school. For like certain teachers, that's illegal. It's illegal, No, I was I wasn't.
Speaker 1: Distributing criminal Oh okay, you were distributing all right.
Speaker 3: Good, yeah, there you go. I was just like, I was just like prass, like did you see this? I brought a tape like so so corny. But anyway, my manager at the time was like, you know, SNL is looking at cast members if you want to send in a five minute tape of stuff. I was like, they're never gonna hire an effeminate Asian man. What do I have to lose? I should just like challenge myself to make five minutes of stuff of like impressions, characters, whatever. Let me just try it as an exercise. And I did. I did not do it. I did not make it with the intention of it being seen by anybody of it like getting me anywhere. And I think that's sort of what was like nice about it was because I was the stakes were completely off and I was like, let me do what I think is funny.
Speaker 2: Do you remember what you did?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I did. I did. I did this trade minister character that I did on the show that I ended up doing on the show. I did the soul cycle instructor that I ended up doing on the show. I did the model for like those choking posters that ended up being on the show. I did like a George Taque impression. I had like a very limited set of things to work with, like they wanted impressions and I was like, there are only a handful of Asian public figures that I can like mimic here.
Speaker 1: And what was the process like that? What do they call you right after that? Or do you have to go in in person.
Speaker 3: After this submission? Like I hear back a couple of weeks later, they're my manager's like, okay, well they're they liked your tape. They want you to perform at this live show case where the producers come and watch you. And I was like really, And then I was like this, this isn't going to go over that great. I go it goes well, and then the next week they're like they want you to come in for a screen test, and I was like I kept clearing each stage gate in a way that I was like, this wasn't supposed to happen, Like so this literally was not what I meant to happen at all. And then I went in for the screen test. Did that I remember coming out of my screen test, like I was doing my George to k impression, but it was him like fusing with Facebook to become like the Singularity. It was like really stupid high concept. But I was in this like silver one piece suit, the silver onesie, and I remember walking out like with my bag of props, and then Kate was there, Kate Mini Kinnon was watching like no one else was there, but it was just Kate watching in her like little hoodie, and she just gave me this hug like I'd never met her before. She was like that was brilliant, and I was like that that's all that mattered. I was able to make her laugh. I impressed her. I left. They did not hire anybody that year. They hired like two people on CAST. I was not one of them, but I had met with Lauren. It didn't really go great, I think. I think the first thing I said when I went into that office was like, yeah, I grew up in Quebec and I speak French, and like I was so I was so like I was so brown, nosy about like wanting him to know that I was Canadian too. That like it didn't work. He saw right through it.
Speaker 1: So then how do you finally, how do you eventually get on the show.
Speaker 3: So I put that to rest, and then a year later they were like, they want you to come back in, and so I came back in with like five minutes of new stuff. They called me back for another five minutes, and then I did it with my best friend Matt Rogers. At the time. I got a writing job, he didn't, and so they were like, we're not sure. So basically that was the whole thing. And then they told me, Lauren's not sure if he wants to put you on the cast, but like, would you want to write for the show, And it was like yes, absolutely. It was just like my ticket into like this world that I like didn't realize I wanted to be in for so long, but now that it was like within reach, I was like, please let me do I'll do anything.
Speaker 1: Now you mentioned being an Asian American and being the first was was that a conversation that ever happened?
Speaker 3: It was pure, There wasn't the well. The only thing that like was ever acknowledged was I had written their first season. I had done an okay job, like I didn't like, you know, get anybody killed, and so like I did well, And so it's a good standard. That's a good standard. Yeah, yeah, it's safe, right, I agree. And then I I was working on a show that summer after my first year, and then Lauren called and was like, well, you know, I'm moving you to the cast. I was like, oh okay. And then he had said this was the plan all along, to like make sure you wrote for a season, because I wanted you to know how the ropes worked and how everything got made. And then he was like and also he said, you're gonna be looked at, You're gonna be scrutinized a little bit differently than than other cast members, and so I needed to make sure you weren't. I wasn't throwing you out there completely overwhelmed that like you had some sense of like what resources were available to you as a cast member, and like, you know, I wanted to make sure you could write for yourself because it's gonna be hard for people to like figure out what to do with you.
Speaker 2: Was he right?
Speaker 3: I think I think on some level, I think like everybody's everybody's on their own journey at SNL, like for the for as long as the show's been on, and like, I think part of mine has just been about like showing people that, like I can do things besides the expected things you might think of me to do, you know, like I like being sort of a peripheral supporting player. I like being someone who can just like straight man as in like be like the straight person in a sketch and let someone else be the communic focus. Like I like that part of it just as much. And it's been about like making sure I can like round that out to people.
Speaker 1: What is amazing to me is when I look at your history and one of the reasons I was so happy to have you in the show is the fact that you have created opportunities for yourself. You know, you built a full brand and with the following of Las Culturistas, yes, and you know, and that talk to me about what drives you to be able to do that.
Speaker 2: I mean, I.
Speaker 3: Feel like I've come from this place of using what you have in front of you, Like that comes from like moving around a lot, that comes from like those those times when you're alone and you're like, well what do I do? And like, like I like the I wish those times too, and I'm like, well, all I have is me, and like what I can what things can avail themselves to me, and then I like try to make something out of that, and like I feel like that's it's just like something that's like wired in you at an early age. And I kind of feel myself like getting further away from that, and like now, right now, I'm just about I need to go back to that place of like pure like creativity and pure like of like making opportunities for myself because I feel at this point, I'm like it's getting a little fallow, it's getting a little stale, and that's okay, And I think this is just gonna like motivating me to like go into like the next thing with like a new vigor.
Speaker 2: What is the next thing for you?
Speaker 3: I feel like I've done a good job of like not pulling up the ladder. I've gotten to help out on like my friends projects as they've come up, and like now they're like on a rocket ship to space and it's like really incredible. And the next thing has to be like something that I get to I get to like create for myself while also like creating something for other people. Like I know I'm talking, I'm speaking in such vague terms, but I feel like that's what I'm working with now is just to like start from like this unformed, idealistic place almost and then see where it goes from there.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think that that's the healthiest way to approach all of it. I'm in awe of your excitement for what you do to continually creates. It's impassioned, but I think it's it is an inspiration. And if you were to look at your life up until now, what would you say your through line is?
Speaker 3: Oh, oh my god, what a question, Brooke. And for you to say all that, I mean, if anyone's inspiring anybody, it's like, I mean, you, you've like you've dealt with like this, this scale of people attaching things on you that like you don't want anything to do with, and like, I mean, I think about you and I'm just likely awe struck. And I mean to hear you say that is really wild. So thank you. That's very nice. I mean, I think the world of you. Thank you truly.
Speaker 2: But what is your through line?
Speaker 3: Do you think my through line is just just a compassion?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 3: I feel like in several moments of my life it's there are moments where where I've been like in situations where there's a clear like person or thing or concept to direct like your frustration, your anger, your hatred towards, and it's just it never it never really is worthwhile to like choose that to like fall in that trap, and it's it's to always like like there's a world in which I like never forgave my parents, or there's a world in which, like I there's a there's a world in which I like blame any any given person for any given problem that I've come up against. And it's just it's just so the through line for me, the thing that's gotten me opportunity, the thing that's like open doors for me, is just to be like, you know what, I'm gonna give this person the benefit of the benefit of the doubt. I'm sure they didn't like come with this like weird like oblique intention, Like I think it's fine if I just like if I can like put something compassionate out there. I think that's what lost culturistics is about. I think it's about like everybody like coming together and just like I don't know, having a good time. It's not like super mushy either. It's like pretty, it's it's fun, it's biting, it's it's it's all of that, but it's it's patient and it's kind and like I think that is that is the thing that's like been my engine.
Speaker 2: That was Boeing Yang.
Speaker 1: If you want to hear more from him, go listen to his hilarious podcast Last Culturist Does on the iHeartRadio app or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: That is it for us today. Thanks for listening. Now.
Speaker 1: What with Burke Shields is a production of iHeartRadio. Our lead producer and wonderful showrunner is Julia Weaver. Additional research and editing by Darby Masters and Abu Zafar. Our executive producer is Christina Everett. The show is mixed by Bahied Fraser.