Speaker 1: Like Bill, like it's not as if like everything's rosy. I mean, oh my god, man, we do this one more time. We're not gonna win a fucking game. It's like, all right, coach, we're sixteen and oh.
Speaker 2: But three time super Bowl champion, three time pro bowler and ultimate prankster and Matthew big Bear gulch light.
Speaker 1: I was the first guy off the field. I was the first guy showered, and I was the first guy at the bar. That's what was important. I heard that story. Once you went into his office and what'd you do?
Speaker 2: So I had this mouse.
Speaker 1: When you hit that mouse button, it would send like Jesus through your body real quick. And so I go in and I put that thing on his laptop on his desk. You know how many times Rabel would have Tommy Boy on tilt during practice.
Speaker 2: And like hard shots. What's the worst thing Rabel has ever said to Tom oh Man? And today we are looking at twenty ten week sixteen Patriots versus the Bills.
Speaker 1: Man, that was a special day.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: The most treasured thing that I own in my life is an email exchange between Bill Belichick and I. I've never spoken to anybody's ever received an email like Bill doesn't do human stuff right, Like I got an email?
Speaker 2: What it was his email say? Games of Names is a production of iHeartRadio. I'm Julian Edelman. They're Jack and Kyler, and we are on the search to find the greatest game of all time. On today's episode, we're covering Week sixteen of the twenty ten season Patriots versus the Bills with three time Super Bowl champion, three time Pro Bowler, Patriots Hall of Famer and ultimate prankster Matthew Big Bear gulch Light. That's right, King of the pranks, you guys, you'll hear this dude is wild, nobody wild.
Speaker 3: No one saying them for three weeks to see what he did.
Speaker 2: To us exactly, we get into getting snowed in a Buffalo h This was a crazy game. You'll understand why where we went after the crazy night of clinching once again the division in Buffalo, Matt's infamous pranks around the locker room. This guy is a prankster, prankster and what it's like getting an email from Bill Belichick. You're gonna want to hear this. He said, this is the only thing that he will ever want.
Speaker 4: Like the one thing that if his house burned down or if he lost everything that he'd want to save is this email correspondence, this correct back and forth.
Speaker 3: How quickly he was able to pull it up twenty years ago.
Speaker 4: Quickly insane?
Speaker 2: I mean he probably reads a daily for innovation. It is our thoughts on the TV twelve roast, Tom Brady roast on it was up there, Matt Light was there. And then we wrap it up with hitting the old hotline. Let's get into it.
Speaker 5: December twenty six, twenty ten, Ralph Wilson Stadium, Buffalo, New York.
Speaker 2: With twelve and two Patriots are on a mission to clinch the division, but.
Speaker 5: The Bills and their Lake Effects snow have other plans.
Speaker 2: This is a Dinosaur for life game. Who welcome to Games with Names. We have a very special guest, Big Bear Gulch. Matthew Light from Purdue. Welcome to games and names. That's Jack, that's Kyler. And today we are looking at two week sixteen Patriots versus the Bills. Why this game, Matt, It's a great question.
Speaker 1: First of all, if you asked me about any details of any game at any point, I'm gonna know next to nothing.
Speaker 2: Nothing.
Speaker 1: I have no idea. I look back on my career, man, I can't tell you a specific moment of anything versus like what you and like people that actually touch the ball and do like athletic shit like you guys could tell me exactly what the coverage was. You know what you did all you know, I adjusted my route on this thing, and oh yeah, that was when I caught that I was with fourteen yards and and oh that was a big pivotal moment a game like we don't care. I don't care about any of that, dude. I was the first guy off the field, I was the first guy showered, and I was the first guy at the bar.
Speaker 2: That's what was important. I'm gonna have a good time.
Speaker 1: And so like literally, you know, to sit here and come up with a game like the first one that came to mind was you know what I want to talk about. I want to talk about when Crowder and I got ejected in Miami having fun and I was like, wait a minute, no, no, no, no, there was one that was a little bit more like your era. This game what happened afterwards and to me and I know you're the same way, but again, you you played the game from a different perspective, Like your mindset was completely different. Like you can remember a lot of really cool things that happened because you actually were involved with them, while I was like, you know, basically trying to just catch my breath and you know, not fall down. But this game, in particular, what it represents to me is what most of us seek as players after you retire, and that is the camaraderie, the little things that happened in the locker room during practice, during training camp, the busting of balls. Because to be honest, man, that's why I was in it.
Speaker 2: You know this. So what happened after the game, Well.
Speaker 1: It wasn't normal. I can tell you that much. So you know, I always just tell people that, like what was it like being in a league and what was it like? You know, such a Belichick, But yeah, man, nine percent of it was freaking brutal.
Speaker 2: We ain't basketball baseball where you get to go on road trips.
Speaker 1: You have there slapping each other in ass having a great time right before game time. Oh no, like we're sitting there like running in the walls. Guys are like doing lines of cocon.
Speaker 2: I'm just kidding. They never did that, but it was like, it's such.
Speaker 1: A high that everybody's assholes tight, everybody's freaked out, puckered, and especially when you have a guy who literally has no sense of humor, like Bill, Like, it's not as if like everything's rosy. I mean, oh my god, man, we do this shit one more time. I mean, what, We're not gonna win a fucking game. It's like, all right, coach, we're sixteen and oh but.
Speaker 2: I feel like we're doing pretty good now. Something just came into my head. Bill used to he was notorious for fucking quizziness on spot, and I could have sworn Matt Light was sleeping in a meeting and Bill tried to catch Matt and he goes, Matt, you got all the fucking answer.
Speaker 1: Exactly what he said. Actually, I was just gonna say that.
Speaker 2: Man, you got all the fucking answers. What coverage is that? And hit? You hit the coverage? What was it like? Two blit zone two C.
Speaker 1: It was like the square root in a triangle is equal to the I'm like, and everybody turns around. They're like, because they know I sleep, Like you know I sleep. I slept through every meeting and I don't honestly my wife was like, you're gonna get fired. Like my first year, I remember Dante Scarnekia, my line coach, would make me stand up in the meeting room when we had our offensive line meetings, and I would fall asleep eating a candy bar, trying to stay awake eating a candy bar, fall asleep standing and he would be like like if you if you fall a sleep one more time, I will kill you. And I'm like, oh man, like I'm a rookie. I didn't know what was happening on that one though, so this is the greatest right, so notorious sleeper Copan would kick me. He sat right behind me. He would always feed me the answer too, because I have not fuck, I don't know what Bill just said. I was asleep and so and by the way, like football, like yes, a bunch of the Anderthals, but like I don't need to watch that seven hundred times, like all we do is sit rewind, watch, rewind watch. So on this one, if you think on that season, we had a bunch of young guys and defensively, as you know, the defense could get everything. You know, Bill would be like, all right, look, you know, you know what do we expecting you know, he'd be talking to the offense in this situation, what are we expecting them to do? I mean it's third down, we're in a red zone. I mean, you know, we got you know, whatever, we got trips, you know. And and he'd ask somebody a question and it'd be like a really difficult question and we would come up with an answer that's pretty good. He'd be like, Ah, I'm not what the fuck you know, that's not what they're gonna do. I mean, god damn it.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I'd be watching an ounce of film and then he would go to the defense and he'd be like, all right, guys, like, what's one plus seven? And they'd be like, uh, six and a half and they like that's pretty close, pretty good?
Speaker 2: All right? Now, moving on?
Speaker 6: What are we talking about?
Speaker 2: Coach? Like those guys that have no color the jerseys, right, Like, he would give you some fucking terrible you'd give the easiest questions. He's fucking defensive guys, and they.
Speaker 1: Always got to pass every time. So I'm listening to this and I'm like, these cats have no idea. And Bill's kind of pissed off. Like we had a couple of weeks of coming in and I want some answers. It's a Wednesday morning, right, and you better have my answers, right. Well, they weren't having this, so I go on my way out. But I don't know why. I just had this this epiphany, and I walk into Coach's office, which is always awkward, like you don't go in there just to go in there. Oh no, and you got to pass Bears, the little man purse right there at the front, right, and I love Bears, but you know, so anyway, I go in there. Coach is working at his computer and he looks up at me. He's like, you know, like there wasn't a question. It was just like a you know, and I'm like uh. And right then immediately I'm like why did I do this? This is not gonna be I'm like, Coach, hey, listen, I'm like, these guys don't have the answers. They're not coming in with stuff.
Speaker 2: I said.
Speaker 1: I thought it'd be funny if, like, you know, next time we do this, like or the next Wednesday or whatever, you throw me some questions and I'll just rat them off and be like shit that even Brady wouldn't know. And he's like, you know, all right, what what are you thinking? And I'm like, uh, well, you know, like you know, you you say something then I ran off for an answer, and then you you try to hit me with another one, try to catch me slipping, and I'll just keep writing them off. And all the guys are gonna in that way. Now they're gonna know, like, well, I got to get in the film room. I need if light knows this shit, then I really need to do a little bit more studying. And it fell on deaf ears.
Speaker 2: Dude.
Speaker 1: He was just like, you know, look, I mean you know, like it wasn't like a hey, that sounds like a great idea or that's really stupid. It was just like indifferent. So I walked out of there thinking that that failed. Three weeks go by it, I'm walking in and Bear's like, hey Bill, what's to see? And I'm like, oh snap, what.
Speaker 2: Did I do?
Speaker 1: Like I totally forgot about the whole conversation, right, and I'm not kidding. I walk in his office and immediately he goes, all right, look, you know I'll hit you with you know that you know what they're doing the third down? And then I'm gonna I'm gonna talk to you about, you know, when we get into the red zone, you know what what that looks like. And then the last one, I'm like, and he rattles off these three questions he's gonna ask me, and I'm like, okay, and I'm like, what's the answer, Like I have no idea, Like you're speaking like I have no idea what you're even referring to Bill? And he's like, oh well, So I grab a pin and I start writing answers on my hand and we go in team meeting kicks off and he starts off with his typical I mean, you know, in the category of what we're not looking for, and it's some Bengals, you know, problem with some guy getting the rest of the strip club or something. Always a Bengals player, right, I swear to God, Always a Bengals player.
Speaker 2: And then then he looks learned the Bengal formation. The f was all the way and the inside because he was in jail, in.
Speaker 1: Jail, easy way to remember that. So when he asked me, when he says, exactly what you said, all right, like you got all the fucking answers, all right? Here we go, what are they doing this? And I literally just rattled off immediately. I remember I could hear the air come out of coping, and he's like, shit, he's awake. And I didn't even know that one. So the next one he throws out there, immediately answer that one, and the third one, I'm like literally looking at my hand, of course. And so when it's done and we leave the team meeting room, I remember the guys coming up to me and they're like, what the fuck. I'm like, heydud just get in a film room, you know, like like I didn't acknowledge the fact that Bill and I set that up. And you know, here's the best part, Jules. I've never had a conversation with Bill about any of the funny stuff that's ever happened between him and I. I have the most treasured thing that I own in my life as an email exchange between Bill Belichick and I. You ever get an email from Bill Belichick ever in your history of text message? Okay, but never an email. I've never spoken to anybody that I've ever played with, or it came after me or before me, that's ever received an email. Like Bill doesn't do human stuff right, Like that's a that's like a like a human thing to do, like send an email. Yeah, I got an email.
Speaker 2: What was his email saying? So I was a rep? Right and I was in Hawaii the way. Let me let me paint the picture for everyone out there. Light was a rep, a union rep. And Bill took all the everything out on the reps because they represented the union. And he hated like the limits, like you guys, figure it out, what this fucking shit?
Speaker 1: And he couldn't do anything to us because he had Rabel on myself and and like it look and by the way, last night, let's just let's just pause for one moment. First of all, why was the best roaster I've ever been around in my life? As you know, you war words with him, you're losing, Oh, I mean, and I could hold my own in a storm. But that cat, he's coming. He's a tidal wave of emotions.
Speaker 2: It's probably on purpose. He didn't want to cry. Tom didn't want to.
Speaker 1: Cry because you know how many times Vrabel would have Tommy Boy on tilt during practice every time I mean he got in his ship. It was funny. So but I will say this props to you. Last night was phenomenal and you absolutely crushed it, and I'm not gonna lie to you, man, I was a little nervous for all you guys. I was live on Netflix.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Man, you didn't even stretch.
Speaker 2: I didn't.
Speaker 1: I don't want no pregame routine. I didn't see it taking energy shake. Just nailed it.
Speaker 2: But that was all.
Speaker 1: But Vrabel is the best I've ever been around, man. And the fact that he wasn't there, that's crazy.
Speaker 2: In like hard shots, there weren't a whole lot of functions ever said to Tom oh Man.
Speaker 1: He went at him with everything.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: There was nothing sacred to Vrabel for any reason. I will tell you this. One of the favorite lines I ever heard Rabel say that was directed towards me is we had a stag night to raise money for the Light Foundation in my hometown, right and we stopped doing it because I thought, Man, there's gonna be a lot of kids born in my little hometown that don't belong to these daddies, and so I was like, we're gonna and I'm telling you it became a little crazy. But Rabe would come in town with all these other guys. We had aj Hawk when he was at Ohio State and younger cats too right, and the mayor of my little town, now you got to think Mayberry right. And he gets up and he has this proclamation where he's gonna make it matt light day, right, and he stumbles on some words. An hour later, Rabel gets up and we're having an auction and he's like, hey, and you know when he gets the mic, man, it's gonna be it's gonna be profound, and it's gonna be hilarious. He stops everything and he goes, listen, I'll give anybody one thousand dollars right now, they can get the mayor to spell matriculate, because he tried using that in a sentence and he stumbled over it and in real time, man, it was really uncomfortable, but nobody said nothing. An hour later, Vrabel has it up there on the auction block.
Speaker 2: I'll give you a thousand if you can get the mayor Greenville' spell matriculate. And we lost it. But that's our boy, man, that's a funny, very funny man, fucking.
Speaker 1: So so so so yeah. So he wouldn't mess with us as reps very much. But I get home from Hawaii, long ass flight Hawaii.
Speaker 2: It was the union meetings were there.
Speaker 1: And so I was the guy that they got him changed. I passed the resolution saying if I want to Hawaii, I go to Hawaii.
Speaker 2: I don't want to fly all the way Hawaii. Why don't we do this in the States.
Speaker 1: We got all these you know, and dude, I think half the island wanted to kill me because that was a big revenue. But anyway, noither here nor there. I get home and this is like way before, you know, we live in this crazy time now where like we think it's always been the way it is. I mean, back up ten years ago. Man, I wasn't checking emails from my cell phone.
Speaker 2: I had make sense. Yeah, but you've got somebody that will I never know what she's doing that, what is she doing? What does she do? I don't know.
Speaker 1: So I get home, I got Jay, I've got whatever it is like Microsoft whatever, And I get on my thing and I'm checking my emails and there's an email in my inbox Belichick Commo Bill and I'm thinking to myself, you know what I thought immediately, Thank god, finally one of my offensive linemen is busting my balls.
Speaker 2: All the stuff I've.
Speaker 1: Done, and nobody's really come at me. And then when I read it, I was like, Coping, you son of a gun, because he's the only one smart enough at the time that would have done this. So I spend all night, like I got home at like, let's say, ten thirty, and I missed the whole first week of the offseason program because because I was at the meetings, I had to go. So the next the next day was Monday, so I'm gonna be jumping in a week late. And I'm staying up till like one thirty in the morning, and I finally find a service where I can send an email and make it look like it came from someone else, and I know this is how Copin did it.
Speaker 2: So I write one to Copin. You spent six hours trying to forever, dude, forever.
Speaker 1: But by by the way, you know how it is, man. You find one and it says it works, and you test it and it doesn't work. You have to pay for something. I'm like, this is stupid. Anyway, I found one sent Coping an email walking the next morning, and I'm ready to go toe to toe, but you know, I'm never gonnadmit the shit. So when I walk past Copin, immediately he's like, you send me an email, didn't you. I'm like, did you send me an email? I'm like, what are you talking about? And he's like, you know what I'm talking about. I'm like, no, I don't know what you're talking about, because he has to admit first what he did, and then yeah, okay, let's talk about it because that was pretty good.
Speaker 2: Cope, that's pretty good.
Speaker 1: We go in, we get our workout done, he doesn't bring it up anymore, and then he comes back to me right when we get done working out and he's like, hey, you did send me an email. I'm like, no, I didn't send you an email. He's like, that's great because somebody send me an email and it looks like something you would do.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, all right, well, if.
Speaker 1: I get an email that looks like some of you do, I'll let you know right And now as I'm walking out, we get done running right, and I'm walking out for the day, I can't shake it. I'm like, he's not messing around. So I see Bears and I walk in his office and I'm like, hey, man, cause if it wasn't Coping, there's no one else smart enough. Bears must have sent it from Bill's email on behalf of someone else. And the minute I say something, the bears. He's like, oh no, Bill, send you an email. I'm like, come on, mail, not my first rodeo.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: He literally gets up, goes into Bill's office he's in the staff meeting, gets his computer to fire up, and shows me in his outlook on the scent box the email to me, and.
Speaker 2: It's the email.
Speaker 1: And I'm like like, immediately, I'm like, oh man, damn, Like that goes up a notch. Right, I'll read it for you. It's literally my prized possession.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I get this and now I'm like, oh, this is legit. So I take like four or five days because you know me, I can't like not acknowledge this. I have to have some kind of a response. So I send my response and immediately I get one back. And the essence of what he sent back was We're never going to do this again. Number one, because in the in the subject heading it was concluding remarks, right, no joke, no joke. That concluding remarks and and and to this day, and what he wrote in there, I'm telling you this, I could lose everything every Super Bowl ring I could care less.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: Possessions like that mean nothing to me.
Speaker 2: This you gotta read it, read it.
Speaker 1: Get in there, man, text me and I got big fat fingers. So we've never had a conversation. Bill Belichick and I've never once spoken about this ever. So and by way, I never break this out. It's one of these things that he kind of has to be in person. Right, Okay, So here we go, here we go. All right, So just so you can see this, Saturday, April seventh, two thousand and seven, at two thirty four pm.
Speaker 2: Okay, so this is in undefeated season, yeah, going into it. Yeah, yeah, yeah, Well that's here, yeah.
Speaker 1: Greed in the subject heading Greetings from the NEP Off season Program. Exclamation point, all right, oh okay, here we go, end quotes. It's how it starts, Not like hey, Matt or just wanted to touch base with you, sir. It's a chance for us all to bond and start putting the wheels in motion for the following season. Left tackle Matt light set in a recent interview, the foundation is put in place at this time of year. What you do in March, April, May and June. What's you do in that mini camp in the passing camp. It has a direct effect on the beginning of your season, and you have to come out of the gate swinging pretty hard. That's what we've been able to do around here. In the quote bad right, that's.
Speaker 2: Kool aid, it's a good quote.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no kidding. I got asked by a reporter in Hawaii about whatever I gave, the typical you know, do your job speech. Right, Hey, Matt, just read this quote from you dot dot What the fuck?
Speaker 2: Question Mark?
Speaker 1: And by the way, so you see like when I see this, like, that's got to be coping. They're messing with me.
Speaker 2: That's not real. And Bill doesn't send emails.
Speaker 1: We have over fifty guys here working out today, and the one who isn't here does all the talking about how important the offseason is. Figures a lot of your teammates were concerned about you and asked why you weren't here. But don't worry. We let them all know that you're in Hawaii for a week. If you want to get something productive done out there, why don't you have him move this meeting to the week before all in Caps teams start their off season programs. Question Mark, very respectfully, Yours Bill, Belichick, head coach New England Patriots. Okay, so when you got that, if you got that, you know that's not it's from Bill Belichick. All right, So we've been through this. You guys got the background. It took me day and I did elicit a little bit of help from a family member who's far smarter than me, and I send him this now and again, I will say, my wife from day one always told me you're gonna get He's gonna fire you. Like, please don't do that, Matt, Please please don't leave here with that device. Don't put that on anyone's you know whatever. Don't shock, don't do what you're thinking about doing every single day, because that will get you fired. This one I did kind of think may I was gonna get fired Coach b. I thought that was awesome. That was a way to go right. First of all, allow me to apologize for not responding earlier to your prior email. It has been my experience limited as it may be that a reflexive response did not serve anyone well. Thus, I felt it necessary to permit time to militate a more measured, philosophic response. As you are certainly better aware than anyone. We as human beings are not automatons. Rather, we stand as a compilation of free will, rational beings. Given this, it becomes critical to impose a measure of collectivism for the benefit of the order. I realized that the concept of collectivism strikes a measure of aberance and our rugged individualistic society. But it is such a collective good that allows us all to benefit. And it does not require a study of the encannabulum to realize that both coaches and players gained from a measured collective relationship with the financial bully pulpit held by the owners. Given this, in despite my commitment to the off season programs, I felt compelled to move forward the collective good of the players through attendants of the PA meetings. In a long run, it is generally for the benefit of all. My commitment to this end is in no way a negative reflection on my dedication and commitment to optimizing my personal performance to the grace advantage of the team. Your humble, free wild left tackle Matt Lait. Now that said, I figured I covered all basises, right, that's an email basis, and I'm good and I kind of got off my chest. Why I felt like I needed to be in attendance right like. It didn't seem like that big of a deal. I had no idea that this would be the response to that Gibberis and I got to tell you, this is one of my favorite things in life again. April eleventh, twenty seven, twelve forty five pms like a midday email, midday weird concluding remarks, You're gonna love this, Matt. I need some time to let this one settle, but I'll start with this. Why don't you consider dedicating yourself to having fewer mistakes and not leading the team in once again being the most penalized player on offense. Your numerous false start penalties and evidence again at the Pro Bowl, and other transgressions like tawning continue to make me think that your distractions off the field affect your concentration on the field. My advice, if you have an interest in improving your performance would be to minimize your distractions and focus on maximizing your physical development and technique in the off season program. That one week really killed you. I continue to feel that you were totally out of line commenting on the importance of the program when you were not in attendance with the rest of the team. Now this is what it gets great. Finally, Matt, there is no need to use multisyllable words in your email that neither you nor I know. I am unimpressed.
Speaker 2: This will conclude my email exchange.
Speaker 1: And I will return to my efforts in trying to do a better job and coaching this football team. As for the PA meetings, don't worry about helping me. As I have said many times, and I remind myself, the best thing we can do for ourselves and our families is win all in caps. Try to keep that in your mind for in your quest for world peace. Sincerely, respectful yours, Bill Belichick, head coach, doing purchase. That's it, man, That's all I need in life, and we've never once acknowledged it. I played for another four seasons and it never came up in a conversation. Never or the fact that I fired him and he lost all of his information. That never came up, although he did stop me in the hallway and he said, I like you ever go in my office again?
Speaker 2: Yeah, what did you do? I heard that story once he went into his office and what did you do?
Speaker 5: So?
Speaker 1: I had this remote right. And again this is back in the day when this stuff didn't really exist. But I was always surfing the net and it was a mouse and it plugged in actually, but they didn't do anything when you plugged in. You couldn't actually control the mouse. But there were I don't know how you get this much energy out of two triple A batteries, but those two triple A batteries, when you hit that mouse button, it would send like Jesus through your body, like real quick. And so he was in a staff meeting was it was in training camp, and nobody was there. So I slip in and I'm on.
Speaker 2: My way out.
Speaker 1: They're still working really hard, trying to make us better. And I go in and I put that thing on his laptop on his desk. I come in the next morning, you know, dying next killing me. It's like the start training camp. I'm not even thinking about what I did to night before. And Ben Bears is like immediately when I walk in, he's like not good, like like seriously like, and you can see in his eyes like the bear, the Bears, the bear.
Speaker 2: He not good.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, what, but I know I know what he's saying, right, but I'm like, what are what are you talking about? Deny to you die? And he's like just telling you. It's not good man. What happens is not good. And I'm like, hey, look, I can't play this game right now. I gotta go get ready. So I walk into the meal room. And when I walk in there, Matty p Is just got some toast or something, and he turns around and he sees me and he's like, you're an idiot. And I'm like what, I'm like, you two and he's like, hey man, he's fired up and because of your dumb ass, we spent like two more extra hours here last night. And I'm like for what and he goes, well, he goes, I know it was you. And when he shocked himself. The first time he had he had his hand off the keyboard. The second time his hand hit the keyboard and it deleted his notes. You know how he takes notes everything of everything, everything, Like, hey, by the way, this is crazy, man. Here's here's a great example. We're let's say we're playing the Jets and it's it's it's Monday afternoon, so we're playing a divisional game. Right, It's we're coming off a loss on the road, and you know, we we have a two key players on defensive went down. He'll go back in his notes and do keyword search or something, and he'll find a scenario that mimics that almost to a t. And then he'll look and see, how did I address the team. Did I go hard on him? Did I take it easy on him? Did I push him? And how hard did I push him? Did we practice a certain way? What was the outcome? How did it come out?
Speaker 2: All that stuff gets analyzed.
Speaker 1: Man, that's the craziness in the complexity that a lot of people don't realize. I don't know how much that weighs in his success or whatever else, but that's who he is.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So when now, by the way, first time he didn't have his hand on a keyboard, the second time he shocked himself, he did, and it closed in a program. The way I look at that is you're an air repeater. That the first one was my fault, second one that's your fault. Now we didn't talk about that, but I will say this. When he lost that, that was not a good day because it wasn't like auto save apparently, so all of his notes for that day apparently went by by and what I thought was real, So I wanted to go get my mouse, but I left that thing in there.
Speaker 2: Buddy.
Speaker 1: Once I heard about that one, I was like, yeah, that thing's going on. I mean literally he said something like, I mean he stopped me. And by the way, Bill's kind of like Tommy, like, I have no idea how tim he got from one meeting room to the next. I don't know if he floated in the atmosphere, he like like became particles and just reappears like in weird places. Obviously he didn't shower time. He never showered.
Speaker 2: Never.
Speaker 1: Nobody ever saw him in there weird.
Speaker 2: Well, actually I see him a couple of times. He'd have the two shower heads on him. Ember he would be in the corner sometimes rarely shower heads. I'm like, dude, yeah, I had two showers I know, and neither one of those heads wanted to be pointed to him. No, seriously, Like the water was like, he's he's hydrophobic, like it like water doesn't like him. He got to think about it. He probably goes to like his sick home where like he's got like hydrogen based water.
Speaker 1: No, I'm listen I think he has every day. I think so seriously, it's Alex little tiny hands, like, so what did Bill say?
Speaker 2: Hey man?
Speaker 1: He was fired up. He basically told me if you go in my office again, I will kill you. And of course I did not. I'm like, coach, what are we even talking about? He's like, you know exactly what we're talking about. I really don't, I said, but I'm gonna get some food here, I'll see in the meeting room. And and but it was weird because Maddy p came at me and so the Bears and I thought it. I thought they were like flipping it on me right, like, oh, we're gonna make him think that. You know, coaches really fired up? No coaches because Dante was the last one, because you know Dante doesn't mess around. Dante was real matter of what did say, Like, He's like, I don't think.
Speaker 2: That was a good idea.
Speaker 1: You probably shouldn't go in the head coach's office. And I'm like you too, I'm like, I don't know what you're even talking about.
Speaker 2: So did you deny it?
Speaker 1: Till day to forever forever? But that's the so again, we didn't have a conversation about it. It wasn't like at some point he came to me. It was like, hey, that shit was kind of funny. You got me that sh had hurt, you know, like we cool to acknowledge any of this, Like, hey, remember that email you sent me? Like that was funny. But there's a part of me that believes, like what he reiterated on his concluding remarks email, that he was kind of serious.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying that serious. He may have been dead serious. He probably would try to kill you if you went in his office again. I bet sure he got cameras put in for that. Probably.
Speaker 1: You know, he probably had Brigs sitting there like with like some Samurai sword waiting for me to walk in. By the way, brit Briggs legit s a s yeah, I mean a head of our security. I mean, this dude was a legit miss leg Yeah. Did miss a leg get bit by a shark or something? That was always the rumor that because it was a swimmer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was like his shark took his leg off. Guy's British too. Yeah, the meanest motherfucker you'll ever meet.
Speaker 1: Hey, do you remember when he and I had a serious confrontation Now in San Francisco. I don't think I was there outside the meeting room.
Speaker 2: I wasn't there.
Speaker 1: Oh I think you had to have been when we went back to back. We played to West Coast always right before you got there, that's right though. Oh man, it was great. So I had this girl that stole from us and uh, she was like a babysitter, girl that stole from you. Yeah yeah, like not not not anything like that, but she was.
Speaker 2: She was.
Speaker 1: She was babysitting and she ended up taking like jewelry, and she's like that. She came from a good home. She had one of those sicknesses where she's like stealing stuff, which I kind.
Speaker 2: Of like that. It's kind of cool, you know what I'm saying. Keep your eye on the green flag.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, listen, I won't I won't take nothing from me. But she so we caught her on the cameras. Now we're on the West Coast, and you know how they always tell you, right like, hey man, if anything comes up, give it to us. We'll offload it. We want you to focus on football. So I kind of like doing things on my own, right, But on this one, I'm like, all right, we're far away from home. So Briggs is there obviously running security, and I said, hey, may can you just have your guys deal with this? And dude, it was like the easiest thing in the world. Don't tell the girl what we know she stole. Just interrogate her and make her confess to what she took, right, like, you know, like if you're going to introgate some mean you don't let them know, like, hey, we know you took this, this, this, and this, what else did you take?
Speaker 2: Well? No, I didn't take anything else. You got it?
Speaker 1: Like you make her spell out because if she doesn't say all the stuff we know she took, we got her on camera, then she's lying.
Speaker 2: Dude.
Speaker 1: It was like freaking the worst you know, detective work.
Speaker 2: Ever.
Speaker 1: They get her in there and they basically literally say, we know you took this, this exactly what not to do. So I lost my mind. I'm like, hey, man, you had one job like Bill does, and and and you know, Briggs like, hey for you, And I'm like, I'm gonna take your leg and beat you with that thing. And that was the wrong thing to say, because actually I love Briggs.
Speaker 2: Briggs he is when you get to know what when you're new he hates you.
Speaker 1: Hates you, Well he's got it. That's like a whole British thing, man, Like what false superior? Then you idiots? You know, we own your country, Like no, you lost.
Speaker 2: The war revolutionary, Yeah you lost. Yeah we want part up with the damn French.
Speaker 1: But but if your essays, man, regardless of whatever, beat that, those guys are legit, real deal. And he was a good man, So.
Speaker 2: What did what did? So you yelled at him and San Francisco.
Speaker 1: But Bill's Bill was coming down because we're getting ready to go in the meeting room, and it was like right at the start of like one of those days. You know how weird it is when you're hotel and you got team meeting in the big room and you have these breakout rooms and we're sitting out there and we're going at and Bill basically walks out. He's like, all right, what what are we doing?
Speaker 2: I mean, what the fuck? And I was like, this guy's an asshole.
Speaker 1: And the girl got away with him. Man, you know, oh yeah, dude, scot Free. Hey, by the way, that's isn't that our world?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Like, hey, you know we're not going to prosecute robbery. Oh Okay, that's a good idea. I'm sure they'll quit. By the way, the guy before Briggs was a madman, Frank Mendy's who Frank got the boot and uh and our boy Briggs. He came in when Frank chewed out the wrong guy. He was like a Craft family member. Frank didn't last night longer, No, no, good man.
Speaker 2: How about that Brady roast last night?
Speaker 1: There was a there was a part of me that wondered, how is this gonna work?
Speaker 2: Live?
Speaker 1: Event live? Kevin, I will say, Man, as funny as that dude is on everything I've ever seen, he nailed it like last night, Man.
Speaker 2: And it was so impressive to watch those guys, like the professionals, because I was watching the teleprompter the whole time, like seeing are they going to hit it at this right? And they would just like segue and do their own shit. They would say the same thing in a different way and then yes, like it's it's an it's fucking a skill.
Speaker 1: A true profession And as we were talking earlier, Man, like those guys support each other so much, you know, to me, mos, yeah, comics, like I think it's it's probably one of the most intimidating things from a professional standpoint, right, like if you're going to get to where you're well known and recognized, but then to sustain it, right, and and you think about like like in football analogy, right, like winning back to back, that's really really hard to do, right it We did it, and and you know it's it's one of those things where we can we came really close at other times, but to actually do it. And so for these guys, some of these guys have had hit it. I mean you think about a Dave Chappelle who was there last night. You know, you think about Bert and some of these new guys that have been rising over the last five, seven, eight years, right, how they do it? They do Jim Gaffigan was there last night. I mean, all these iconic comedians and and what was cool was that they were all throwing a lot of love and a lot of shade to each other because I think that even though they may be competing for the same dollars or whatever, right and all that there's the total love amongst all of them. Yeah, and and and Kevin though, Kevin Man, dude, he was man. If somebody did something like when Gronk grabbed the wrong thing or when you know or when by the way, you see him back that teleprompter up.
Speaker 2: I was like that.
Speaker 1: He's like, he's like, no, back back back, back, back back. But if you were at home, you probably have no idea none. That was just him being Kevin, but he was. He was legitimate. The whole thing was great, though.
Speaker 2: I thought it was. The comics are kind of like the linemen put in the work. Yeah, real sexy grinders. Yeah yeah, all kinds of weird have had trauma. In the words.
Speaker 1: Bert would be a good lineman.
Speaker 2: Though. Bert is a lineman.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he kind of. Yeah, but he's looked a little skinnier than I thought.
Speaker 2: He's been working out. He's been working out, but like he has Liman heart.
Speaker 7: Too much ego, too much, too much ego from Bert to be a lineman. Yeah, we can say that he's been here, Okay, friend of the show, friend of the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, he had my joke last night.
Speaker 1: By by the way, he was he was loving your set, man. I was watching Bert, Bert, Tom all those guys are loving you. You you you did knock out the park. Like I said earlier, I was a little intimidated for you. I was actually really worried about Gronk because he was amped up and he starts getting a little jeer. You know which way that golden retriever is going to go?
Speaker 2: Man? He may yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh I love him by the way I took him hunting. This was such a special moment and I can't wait to get him out again. Although I don't think his missus likes the fact that he goes out and kills animals with me. But that's okay. We eat every one of them. We shot this deer, he said, light of He goes, he goes, you know how good wild game is. I'm like, yeah, that's all I eat. He's like, oh man, it's like really good. Have you ever had an elk? I'm like, oh yeah, yeah, just butchered one the other day. He's like, oh no, Kidney. He goes, I want to go hunt with you. I'm like, all right, cool. So I'm like, hey man, but you got to come out and take some shots. We got to get your hunter safety course all this stuff. He's like, no, no, I want to watch you kill. That's really not you hunting. But all right, so I got this this tag. We go out, I shoot this deer, and my dog goes to track it, right, because that's what he does. My dog can't find it, and Gronk is wearing like zubas and tennis shoes, and we had to go into like the thick, gnarmally nasty thorns everything. So my dog finally gets on this deer and we're trying to keep.
Speaker 2: Up with it.
Speaker 1: Gronk's like caught in a briar patch and he's like, is there ticks. I'm like, yeah, there's a lot of ticks.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: I'm like, you better check yourself, like legit. And so we finally get up on this hill and my dog stopped barking. I've had it. I've had it. I do have crowns. YEAHI bill noted that in front of the world.
Speaker 2: That was nice. I got one for him. I got one for him. But we finally catch up my dog the funk up? What do you say exactly? First of all, he is lucky I didn't have the mic because I would have had a field day with his ass that one right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's a good point. So my dog we get to this deer and Gronk and I witnessed my dog jump on the back of this buck and ride him down the hill and they're fighting and he's like, we gotta save your dog. I'm like, I'm not going anywhere near that. I'm like, you can go in there and save my dog what you want, and it was it was classic.
Speaker 2: He did.
Speaker 1: And then he actually helped gut it in the whole nine and he I gave him whole bunch of steaks off it and he got to eat his wild gay man, good man, you're gonna come hunt with me at some point, Not really that, that's kind of like.
Speaker 2: We did vesant hunting on that property. And then the guy cooked a pheasant pizza or something with the oh yeah, some good stuff. It is good.
Speaker 1: You take anyone else hunting, just uh, let's see Saturday, before we flew out out here to La we uh met up with Brew and his son.
Speaker 2: That was awesome.
Speaker 1: Had a great hunt man turkey season.
Speaker 2: I think I remember, didn't you like post up on the Patriot property and take some fucking deers down or something or was it a turkey?
Speaker 1: I pulled up and I hunted that property forever because mister Kraft was like, I mean, look, he's like, I don't know anything about what you're doing.
Speaker 2: I'm like, all right, cool.
Speaker 1: It was like a green light, right, so I would hunt right behind a stadium. Were that Lawtons Farm close to that, right?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And they're great people. I went in one morning and uh, this is is before practice. This is before yeah, and this is the off season. And uh, I go to set up in. One of the security guys comes over, you, like the guy with like the weird lazy eye.
Speaker 2: And uh.
Speaker 1: He's like, he's like, hey man, you can't be here. And I'm like, huh, I'm like no, I'm gonna park it over here. I'm gonna go in here and kill this bird. I've roosted him last night, like I know where he's at. And by the way, it's three in the morning. It's dark, you know what I mean. So and I got my backpack, I got my bow and everything ready to rock. And he's like, no, Briggs said, you can't be here now. That's just like and this is the off season, right after that little kerfuffle. So I'm like, hey, listen, because you know Briggs lives like right.
Speaker 2: Around the corner on the property.
Speaker 1: Yes, I said, if Briggs doesn't want me here, go wake his ass up and tell him to come out here because you're not stopping me. And I'm walking right there. So I get my stuff and he's like kind of mumbling, and I walk right in. I set my tent up, I wait for it to get light. Bird gobbles flies down, sits right next to my decoy. I shoot him, I breast him out, I take him in. I always put him in the fridge there in the meal room, and actually some of the sometimes the chefs there would would cook up some stuff for me.
Speaker 2: It was awesome.
Speaker 1: But anyway, as I'm eating breakfast, Bill walks in and he's like, I mean, look, what are we you know, what are we doing? You can't you can't have a fucking weapon on stadium property.
Speaker 2: And I go what.
Speaker 1: I go, Hey Bill, this, I go, the reason you're hearing about this is because you know, Briggs is a dickhead. I'm like, I've hunted this thing forever. He's like, I don't give a damn what you've done. You can't have a weapon on stadium property. I go, Bill, it says you can't have a handgun. You can't have a gun on gon't. I don't shoot a gun. I had a bow and arrow. He goes, this is awesome. He goes, you want to argue with me about what the rules say.
Speaker 2: I mean, the guy's pretty good at knowing what the rules are. I'm not gonna lie to here. And when he.
Speaker 1: Said that, I started second guessing myself. I'm like, oh damn, maybe it did say weapon. And so now the only thing I can pivot to. I'm like, I'll go, I go, okay, Bill, So I checked Jack Johnson and Tom O'Leary at the door too.
Speaker 2: I go, these are deadly.
Speaker 1: That's my only thing I had, right, And I remember the other guys that we're in the meal room, like the younger guys. You're looking at me like, damn.
Speaker 2: Dude, like that's your heck out. You probably shouldn't be saying that.
Speaker 1: And Bill's like, hey, look, I don't want to hear about it. Don't don't bring anything on here ever again.
Speaker 2: And he walked away.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, oh, man, that maybe i'd been a great idea. But yeah, yeah I did. I had a little little hunt that morning, and that may have been the last time I did that.
Speaker 2: How did you stay on the pats for eleven years? I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know, man, I don't know. Did you ever see the did you ever see the video right before one of the Super Bowls? Or were you there when I did the Harry Carey.
Speaker 2: I saw the video. I remember, didn't you do like a video around where he was like massaging you or something? Or yeah?
Speaker 1: I think Rabel for the happy ending. And by the way, I did that shot that because you know how the again the defense with all their little perks. You remember how they would show a funny video the night before the game and they would have something and they would all be cutting up, laughing over there while we're getting dog cuss you guys suck and like having a great time. So Bill came up to me, or it may have been Maddy p one of one of the defensive coaches, and was like, hey man, we want you to do this video. We do a video for us. And I used to always do Harry carry right, so it was.
Speaker 2: A Harry carry real quick. A Mike Rabel, you're a good Maya. You're a good Maya. I love you, Rabel. If you're bilk Hayes's off to sit youl anyway.
Speaker 1: If the boot were made of spare cheese, so we would do that and have fun, right, And I did that video, and I remember there's a security castle on this he maybe I was on a treadmill for a while, like half naked, and I don't even know why, like it was just stupid stuff. And I remember I had to get glasses. So there's a security guard that had these big coke bottle glasses. And this is like right before the Super Bowl, and like I'm trying to like be serious, you know, like like I did take the game serious, but they're like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you got this vesus.
Speaker 1: I'm like, oh god, say the video cruise video. And I remember the guy had to sit in a chair and couldn't move because he couldn't see his like right here. So this poor secure Guardy's just sitting there forever while I'm wearing his coke bottle glasses doing some stupid Harry carry bit. And I remember, thank god we won that super Bowl because I remember mister Kraft apparently got ahold of it and played it for all the people on this private jet on the way home. Because I met some of them. They're like, we watched this awesome video of you on the way back to the super Bowl, And I was like, what though, yeah, I don't know, man, I think that's why they kept me. It wasn't my stellar play.
Speaker 2: I can tell you that much. You didn't get cut. You got cut. No, no, no, I'm just saying that.
Speaker 1: I think that's why I made it as long as I did. Oh Bill was like, oh, he's gonna do something stupid. Yeah, you know, fucking Bill.
Speaker 2: Take us back to Ohio. What was the young man like?
Speaker 1: Like, I wanted to be a game warden until I found out that they don't. They don't get paid very much money. You know what's crazy? Man grew up in a small little town Homa, Antioakley. Yeah, a little miss sure shot. You know anything about her? While Bill Coate Bill Hiccott.
Speaker 2: Like, no, I can't stay. I don't know anything about She's like a little missure shot. She had a feed her family. Absolutely not Matt oh Man, Wow, this is terrible.
Speaker 1: Okay, So anyway, so you're not gonna probably go to the Anioki Museum in a Gars museum, that's that's not a big deal. Small little town, big farming community. I'd never seen a game until I played the one, right, so I didn't know Prudue was in the big ten I'd never seen a college game. My dad severe polio. Growing up, right, we didn't do sports. We were into the outdoors, you know, pre eighteen hundred encampments, running around doing crazy stuff hawking, knife competition, hunting, fishing.
Speaker 2: Did you ESPN stuff like where they would do like the axine and loved it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was the best, man, I used to watch it. You ever watch you guys? Know who Marty Stalfer is? You ever heard that name? No, I'm Marty Stalfer. Welcome to Our Wild America. That's not my favorite show growing up, dude, he like take you out, show you neat thing, like here's a pine Martin. They're really clever and he like film them.
Speaker 2: I mean it was awesome, dude.
Speaker 1: It's almost like Bob Ross meets you know, like David Attenborough.
Speaker 2: David.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there we go without the British accent. David Attenborough is a badass, so, sir, sir, by the way, Sir David Attenborough. So anyway, that was my world. Man, growing up, small little town. I had no idea to get a scholarship.
Speaker 2: You play high school? You played high school football?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, man, I played well. My mom did not want me around so like like I played pee wee, I was. I was in football in my life, but and terrible, really terrible.
Speaker 2: I was tied end.
Speaker 1: I went to Purdue as a tight end for some unknown reason. I never did anything athletic. Ever, I was never a tight end in the high school.
Speaker 2: You keep on saying that, bro, you're like an undersized tackle. You have to be athletic.
Speaker 1: Well, no, I I can, I could I have. I have decent short space quickness, I think is what they said. You know, here's an awesome one. Right, So for you, how'd they describe you for the combine?
Speaker 2: Do you remember that?
Speaker 1: You do remember the right.
Speaker 2: Up for your backer than fast doesn't have a position.
Speaker 6: You guys have this right up?
Speaker 2: Can you guys research this right up? Yeah? Yeah, okay, go ahead, keep going. Quicker than fast doesn't have a position, played against shitty talent.
Speaker 1: This is depressing. I wasn't going this route. Get it out, though, get it over with. They were wrong, They were dead wrong.
Speaker 2: Yeah they were.
Speaker 1: But the but they describe things right.
Speaker 2: Like what I'm getting at is white guys smart works hard. Yeah yeah, ever guy, ever, guy, yeah, ever, guy?
Speaker 1: I love how all white guys are guys you know what I mean, like blazing speed. Nope, he's an effort guy. He's a gym rat, loves the game.
Speaker 4: Is in there, I'm looking here. Ken State staff comments on Julian Edelman from Fall two thousand and eight, upper echelon worker, knows his physical limitations.
Speaker 1: He likes be, likes to be s what's that mean?
Speaker 2: Bullshit? Wonderfil started podcast yelling at people. We do love the bullshit.
Speaker 4: Once the ball in his hands, football instincts will help him as a wide receiver, has the feet to play defensive back. They're right about that, most competitive guy I've ever coached.
Speaker 1: See that seed. But that's pretty good remarks, you know, mindset, all right, So there's a lot of things that that you can say about an offensive lineman, right, They talk about lower body strength, has a good wing span, real good punch, great drive off the ball, initial contact, you know, drops his hips. I mean, there's all kind of really short space quickness.
Speaker 2: Blah blah blahlah blah.
Speaker 1: None of that was said for me, you know, you know mine said, I swear to God, basically mine was. He's coachable.
Speaker 2: That's it. That's it.
Speaker 1: He's coachable. And I don't even know why that would even translate to anything that would actually help me get drafted. But basically I was coachable and having never seen anything, never seen a draft in my life. When I got drafted by New England, I thought I was going to some other country.
Speaker 2: I didn't know where New England was either. I had no clue.
Speaker 1: Man, I wouldn't have been able to throw at dark and come close.
Speaker 2: No, I knew because of Madden. I didn't you know where Foxborough was though, never heard of it because you guys are winning Super Bowl. So I used to play with the.
Speaker 1: Guys and once in a while, yeah became relevant. Yeah, So that was my world.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: I I didn't know anything about the game of football, you know, blessed to do it. And and honestly, man, you know, just just the people we got in those early years, especially man like the you know, I think back on these guys, these guys like Roman Fighter and Grant Williams and so many guys that you know, the uh Rodney man, oh man, you know Jermaine Wiggins. You know, gosh, man, we had Mike Compton's we had we had all these guys that we didn't have our you know, we weren't individually announced. You know, that was a big deal. But that's because none of us, you know, were above the other.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Like I used to always say this man Bill could do it the way he did it, and he could drive all of our dicks in the dirt every single day because we were all in the same pit of despair. If if there was somebody that was up on a ledge looking down on us, that was a teammate, it wouldn't have worked, you know, when you and by the way, there were times that he did show some favoritism and that's when things got ugly in the locker room defense.
Speaker 2: Defense. But but but if we had a good practice on offense, we had a bad practice as a team. Yeah, Like if we dominated the defense, we had a bad practice, no doubt.
Speaker 1: But there were guys that he did put on a little bit of a pedestal and it created problems.
Speaker 2: Who like an ad when Ad.
Speaker 1: Got there, you know what I'm saying, Like there was there was there was some difference shown in certain ways. I mean, you know, like he didn't let Tommy off, you know, off of anything like he if there was an issue, it was coming out in the team meeting room full tilt with the number one guy in the league. He did not care. But I think that's why. You know, when you're all in the same pit together, if you don't rally as a group, it gets real.
Speaker 2: Bad, it does. We all dragging our dicks in the dirt together. That's a fact. Now you play with Drew Brees at Purdue. Any good Drew Brees stories.
Speaker 1: How was Drew love that guy?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 1: Guy has not changed to this day?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well he has actually got that scar removed. Pernic what is it? Pernic? What we named it? We did?
Speaker 1: We actually named it and we had the rookies doing rookie skits at Purdue, and one of my favorite ones was we talked these guys in the glue and a dry eraser to their face to represent Pernic because dude, Pernic used to be real hairy. I'm talking like that was like a chinchilla. And hey, look, man, God love him, you.
Speaker 2: Know, and Pernik's a good guy too.
Speaker 1: But we had some fun, man, we you know, we had We had so much fun at Perdue that I think think they still talk about our era going through there, and to a degree, I kind of feel the same way about our time in New England. Oh yeah, we had so much fun. We did it at such a high level. But we you know, after games, we all went out together. Oh yeah, you know. But I think that's the one thing that I look at now and I feel kind of sorry for these guys. You know, it's a different world. But if you have strong leaders, you can still have fun as a team.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't think that, but you had to sacrifice.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: Somebody has to plan it, somebody has to take the time to organize it and get them together. And I don't think guys are as willing to do that today as we were back in the day, because everybody's got a brand, everybody's got something they want to push, and what they don't realize is is that, man, when you take the time to do those little things like we had the Fat Man Cup Series two thousand go kart race where we ruined every go kart. We probably put this place out of business. It was all the linemen. It was awesome, wrecked them all the time.
Speaker 2: Were you You're the one planning all this stuff, right.
Speaker 1: I mean it was me, but it was also guys like Joe andrewsy I mean, you know it was typical offensive guys, and we're smarter.
Speaker 2: Than I mean, I say it all the time on TV.
Speaker 1: And and by the way, you remember how great those Halloween parties were.
Speaker 2: I didn't go. I was too young, really yeah, and it wasn't cool enough yet I didn't get to go to the infamous one where Bill came as a butup, I mean, a pirate. It was fitting. It was damn fitting. I could.
Speaker 1: I can remember this about you, man, I remember you know, and I know you had this all the time too, but people, you know, whenever you had a break during camp or you know whatever, or you're talking to somebody, people had ask you, like, man, who's the new dude in camp that impresses you? And I remember I was like, hey, man, I don't know how it's going to work out, but this little Edelman dude, this this kid wants it. He's gonna he's going to be a damn good player. And I'm like, oh, man, I don't even know that, you know, I think I heard that, and I'm like, no, trust me, man, this kid's going to be unbelievable. And I I remember saying that about you, and people kind of like bulking at the idea and then they didn't take long.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: I mean, hats off man your career. I wish, I wish we played longer together.
Speaker 2: But I did too, because I used to hang out with lining guys a little bit. Oh yeah, you know, I'd go hang out with you guys. You guys like I was a young player, and Thanksgivings and and you know, holiday stuff. You guys always invited me over, and I'd always go over the house. And you guys just like I used to call you big Bear goals, you know. And I was a little gipper, little gipper, you know, and he always you know, Matt was a fucking superstar already at the time. And you know, when you're a young guy and you have one of your premier players on the team, that's like putting his arm around you. Like that gives a younger guy so much confidence and like that sense of belonging, you know, which you don't feel that a lot were you on nine? I was nine. That's right, Your Tommy came back, you know.
Speaker 1: You know what I remember, man, I stuck around till eleven.
Speaker 2: Oh, I remember you told me in the shower. You told me in the shower, I go because I didn't play that much in the Super Bowl, and I remember I go up and I'd always ask you after games, like, hey, you come out healthy, man, good You're like, I'm done, bubs, or you shaid I'm done. I retire right in the shower, Remember that I do? You know what? Man?
Speaker 1: With a year of my contract. The only thing I was thinking about at that time was it was probably the best season I had in my career. Obviously, we didn't win when it mattered the most, and that's fine, you know, that's football, right, But to me, it was like, man, and my daughter was closer to being out of my home than in my home Jesus. And the realization at that time was, you know what's like what is truly most important? I mean, look, I was having fun. I always had fun, but it was there was a cultural shift my last few years, right. So when you came in to know nine, that's when I started to sense that guys like I don't know. Remember I used to walk through the locker room and not guys phones out of their hand and be like, hey man, you know that guy right next to you, like.
Speaker 2: You're number thirty, he's thirty one.
Speaker 1: And you guys should talk to each other.
Speaker 2: This is really awesome, Like.
Speaker 1: This would be really cool. Look at you guys, Look at you guys. There was there was a shift in how we did things. It was hard to get guys to do stuff off the field together, you know what I mean. And I started to get a little jaded by It's like, you put effort into it, and you want these guys to come out and do things. And I think looking back on them, man, I've had guys come to me and be like, man, you know what I missed the most is is just being around guys I trust. And that's a big part of leaving the game too, right, you know all the fun moments, all the winning, you know, even the losing, you know, the crazy moments, getting a jack whatever. I loved all the craziness. And I love the fights.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: Man, I missed that the most. And it's hard to do that in the real world, Like it just.
Speaker 2: Doesn't work real well, you guys tried. That was it? The at the casino? Yeah? At the casino? Yeah, that whole that was a big lawsuit. You know what I love about that one?
Speaker 1: They put You know how we were always playing cards in the locker room. Yeah, we play Yuker and all this stuff. They took a picture and blurred out the lockers in the background and put that as the headline picture, like it was me at a casino, but it was me in the locker room, Like I knew where the picture came from.
Speaker 2: They're so sneaky, sneaky, so sneaky. We'll be right back after this quick break. Let's go back into time. This is a segment where we go back around where the game took place. December twenty sixth, twenty ten. We talked a little bit about pop culture. Number one movie was Little Fuckers. Remember that? You watch a movie I did? Yeah? Oh yeah, Little near action in a comedy. Number one song was Fireworks by Katy perry Man. I remember this shit, it doesn't seem that long ago. Was that?
Speaker 1: Did she do that one when she was on the elephant for the Super Bowl?
Speaker 2: Oh? Was that like this?
Speaker 4: It might have been. Let me double check on that.
Speaker 1: I remember that whole like a lot of pyate technics and a giant elephant.
Speaker 2: Remember that. I don't for the halftime show, right?
Speaker 3: It was the shark plushy things.
Speaker 2: Left Shark, Yeah, I remember, I don't.
Speaker 3: When Shark was animated and whin Shark was like kind of dead.
Speaker 2: I don't remember that weird Around this time December nineteenth, the Philadelphia Eagles beat the New York Jets in the Miracle at the meadow Lands. You know how many times you watch that goddamn film where you're not supposed to kick it to fucking DeShawn Jackson. Oh my god, how many times you watch this? After this it's no look, Assho'll just pump the fucking ball out of bounds.
Speaker 1: There's certain plays that he would bring up five years after the fact.
Speaker 2: Every year we went over the goddamn free kick, oh every Friday, and it hadn't been used since nineteen eighty two, the one where you fair catch a punt and you get to line up and have a free kick at the end of half.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, but there's a lot of things like that, though. I'm sure you can dig up a lot of things that were brought up over and over again, practiced even ad nauseum, and then executed at some point, which kind of crazy. No, I mean two point play, that two point play.
Speaker 2: We hadn't which which two point it was? No, it was it was ful because it was k Falk's two point play where Tom would go yes, that's right, and it was.
Speaker 1: It was just like an up the gut kind of a misdirection.
Speaker 2: They throw the fade light in the box, you run the Kevin Falk. We use that for like ten years. Uh. December fourteenth, hul Cogan marries his second wife, Jennifer McDaniel.
Speaker 1: Shout out, Hulk, dude, Hogan still looks good?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 4: Is he still looking good?
Speaker 1: I haven't seen in a minute. Yeah, down Florida.
Speaker 2: You haven't aged a bit. Thank you, you look good. It's a lot gosh, you look good. Better look gray, I'm gray as fuck.
Speaker 1: You get you're getting there. But that's it's distinguished though.
Speaker 2: I like whatever Tron legacy, the Fight, True Grit Love and other drug drugs. I remember that was at the Gentle Hall Jalan Hall about VIAGRAA yep, that was a good one. Good one. We're all popping off in the box office.
Speaker 4: Shout out to Irish, Mickey Ward and the fighter.
Speaker 2: Baby you're you ever hangout Mick I have man. Yeah. He did a bunch of charity stuff. I did it my first charity event. It was with him in the drop drop Kick Murphy's Great, Great, the.
Speaker 4: Most Boston event ever.
Speaker 2: Right right hard.
Speaker 1: You know, Brian Fox painted Mickey Ward for the opener for that movie. He did like the thing for the premiere. I didn't, and my daughter got to paint on that. Her breaststrokes were still on it. We went to a studio and my daughter was really into art at the time, and b Fox like, yeah, bringer over. By the way, he's one of the best.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you have any of his stuff in here, but he's the best in.
Speaker 2: The sports world. Twenty ten Super Bowl champions were the Packers. NFL MVP was Tom Brady. We heard the stat anytime a team had an MVP, they never won the remember that.
Speaker 1: And honestly, by the way, it kind of blew my mind. I never even heard that before he brought that up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was like fifteen twenty years drop you guys beat that Packers team this year?
Speaker 1: Yeah, twenty ten, it would have been at their place, right, No, we on the.
Speaker 4: Road, Yeah, no, Green Bay came to July thirty week fifteen.
Speaker 2: We beat him.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 2: We were good this year. We were fourteen to two this year, won't we Yep?
Speaker 4: Jesus heck of a team.
Speaker 2: Giants won the World Series. Can you tell us about the Tiger scandal? Do you have any stories about that? I remember Bill giving the forty five minute presentation on why Tiger Woods is Tiger Woods. I do remember that. And then Randy as soon as it broke, went out to practice and was like, hey boo, hey boo, how about Tiger fucking watch down. Remember that. I do remember that that. I do remember that, just trolling his whistle, that fucking asshole.
Speaker 1: Oh my god's the best.
Speaker 2: And Randy never he was never with the offense. You know, he's me with will Fork on the defensive side, stretching, not really stretching, just talking.
Speaker 1: He was always the last guy in the meeting room too, for the morning meeting. You remember that, Like I'm talking like as Bill was walking in, the door was just closing behind Randy too, And I'm like, damn, man, because.
Speaker 6: If you were half a second late, that was perro de duct.
Speaker 2: I'm talking if the door was shut and you.
Speaker 6: Weren't in your seat and Bill walked.
Speaker 1: In there, it's I mean, that was a bad feeling, terrible, really bad feeling. And I remember one time I had the Randy Moss mask. I put my sweats on, I got I got his extra pair of sweats with his number which didn't fit real well, and I sat in his seat. Remember how I always just sit with his big ass legs way back and backing this thing with his hood up. And dude, when you have that stuff on, you looked just like him, Like that mask was amazing. And so when he walked in, I just stood up, was like straight cast little homie, you know I do.
Speaker 2: I remember Bill was just walking into and.
Speaker 1: He's looking at me like, you know, Randy, like damn, I come on, you're an idiot.
Speaker 2: Jack sent the stage for the Buffalo Bills.
Speaker 4: This was this was back when the Bills were the Bills that that we know in love. The Little Brothers just got the ship kicked out of him. Record four and twelve, first year of the illustrious chan Gaily Era drafted C. J. Spiller ninth overall. He was a rookie. This year started the year oh and eighth eight.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: This was the year Marshawn Lynch got traded to Seattle.
Speaker 2: UH.
Speaker 4: And this was around the time that remember there was talking the Bills moving to Toronto.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in Buffalo move played a home game there.
Speaker 4: Played a home game in Week nine against the Bears, lost up in Toronto. This was the year of Fitzmagic. Brian Brohm, Trent Edwards all made starts for the Bills this year. The lone pro bowler was Kyle Williams, the defensive tackles. He was a beast.
Speaker 2: We played for a long time time time. Man.
Speaker 4: This was a team with some other dudes of like Roscoe Parish, Lee Evans, le Otis mcelvin. Speaking of another classic Bills Stevie Johnson, Fred Jackson was a beast this year, Johnson, But yeah, not a not a great Bills team four and twelve, yep, finished fourth in the.
Speaker 2: Fcast Later, how'd you feel about the Bills back in these days?
Speaker 1: God, I love beating them up. It was you know what it was? It was one of those things where on the road loved playing in Buffalo, loved it. I love the atmosphere you roll in there. First of all, they're the kind of fans that they're gonna try to piss on your van on the bus as it rolls by, but they're gonna high five you when it's a good game. You know what, I mean like they're a true football fan. They love their bills, love them no matter what, hell or high water man, they're gonna be there. They're gonna support them. They're burning trash canded.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: It's it's not like when you're in Oakland and you see like the chaos like Mad Max meets you know, fandom. It's like, like that's a crazy scene. But those guys do get it on, but they're doing crazy stuff. I remember watching the dude like belly dive onto a table full of beers. I'm like, that's redneck.
Speaker 2: There we go, we go get them, buddy. I'd never been flipped off by such a crazy age group, different from like six year olds to like ninety five year old women. Yeah, after you go in, you whoop their ass and old orchard. It's the best. Man. I remember you, didn't you steal a fucking used to steal.
Speaker 1: The amazing memory you have the amazing memory.
Speaker 2: You used to steal the stools.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like I said, I'm not stealing anything from you, but I have been looking and I did. And by the way, that stool is in my house right now. My kids use it all the time to get on this like counters and that that stool was cool because it was it was very buffalo like. It wasn't real ornate. It was nice and square. It was it was it has to be. I'm gonna say, quarters on white Oak is where I'm going. Quarter Oak, yep. And it's it's real. It's real beefy. So it wasn't ornate in any way, but very solid, very firm, very heavy, has a big round top to it, and in the center has a recessed brass plate with the number seventy two. And I remember I searched all through the locker room to find the right one and put it in my equipment bag.
Speaker 4: I remember you from the visiting locker room.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I try to steal something from every busy. You know, my my most favorite stool is k C.
Speaker 2: You still you stole stools.
Speaker 1: From everywhere, from almost every place we went to. But but but by the way, you know this, not every very few. I bet you none of them today. They yeah, they did the building, so we were. It was the last year of the old Arrowhead Stadium and they had now this is probably courtssot white Oak too. But it was stained and it was nice and it was turned on the lathe. All the legs were real nice and it has the arrowhead with the KC logo and in No. Seventy two.
Speaker 2: But it's that's awesome. Yeah, I remember, I remember you were trying to put that thing in your bag or something. I got it. It was it, bros. Remember was that the old equipment guys like we can't do.
Speaker 1: This or something like guess you can?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Is that the was that the move to shove it in the Duffel bag and get out of there?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Because they're huge, right, because they got it. You get all your pads and all your stuff.
Speaker 2: Right, what's your favorite thing you stole from another stadium?
Speaker 1: Like, listen, is there statue of limitations? I mean, I'm not going to jail on your podcast.
Speaker 2: Like that's double Jeopardy, Bro, it's gone.
Speaker 1: That's a good point. Yeah, yeah, it can't be tried twice, There's no way. Gosh, man, the best thing ever? Hey, you know, so some of my favorite stuff that I have hanging now. We just moved down to Chapatchet, Rhode Island, and in the move I found some stuff that I'd ganged from the Super Bowls. So again I was always the first guy off the field. Right, It was like my goal to get to the bar as quickly as possible.
Speaker 2: Barl Lewis baby, and.
Speaker 1: I would rip down all these banners. I remember just jumping up and just running tintingdingdingding thing, wadding it up.
Speaker 2: Throwing it. And I have all these really.
Speaker 1: Awesome banners from the Super Bowl eras, like the ones that hang in the hotel.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well we get to the hotel, I couldn't stop myself there either. They'd be like hanging off like a big atrium and I'd find my way up in there like.
Speaker 2: Sink sink, sink, sink sink. Can we just get it? What is your craziest prank that you did as a New England Patriot?
Speaker 1: Okay, so I would say probably the best one that I did on team. I mean the best one I've done period was having some guys pulled off their private jet. That was that was one of the greatest of all time.
Speaker 2: Man, what do you mean? I mean?
Speaker 1: And by the way, I did have a guy and you can look this one up. I just did a full video on it. I had a guy kill a turkey and he thought it was the world record albiono Osiola and ossiole is only found in Florida. It's a version of a turkey, right, it's a subspecies. And he went hunting with me, but what he actually killed was a broad breasted white turkey that was farm raised and like some like literally like a double wide in some guy's backyard, and I just put it out in the woods and he shot it, and he snuck up on it. I told him that if you squat down like a Suma wrestler and carry a fake turkey tail fan, that you can walk right up on him, which you cannot do that. But he did it, and he practiced it for a while and it's one of the funniest things ever.
Speaker 2: I have it on video.
Speaker 1: Like, by the way, I was right next to him when he shot it, but he had no idea. It was in a full gilly suit in a palmeadow bush snake almost bit me. And when he sneaks up on it, I swear to God, when the turkey saw him, it was like, oh, thank God.
Speaker 2: There's a human. I've been out here in a while, Like what the hell?
Speaker 1: Like he came from like literally a guy's backyard, and so he shoots and misses him and the bird. He was so fat he could barely walk forty four pounds, Like, dude, that's twice as big as any bird. And he started walking my way. I'm like this how I die being a dumbass.
Speaker 2: This is how I die?
Speaker 1: And thank god he didn't shoot me. But anyway, my brother calls him as the head of Florida Game and Fish. I made up two hundred copies of a magazine where he's on the cover, and he thought, like, I'm dead serious, dude, I mean, I will put a lot of effort into this. A year later, he gets up on stage at the shootout where we sold the Hunt to begin with, and I said, Jamie, you got to come up here and help me sell this thing.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: I'm like, it's going to go for big money. You just shot that. And so he gets up and he's talking about how he killed the Moby Dick of Turkey.
Speaker 2: He's the Tom Brady of Turkey Hunt. I got all on video.
Speaker 1: I had my guys there wearing Florida Game and Fish collared shirts that I had made up because they were there to get content for their website because they're getting ready to launch it. They brought two hundred advanced copies of the magazine. He's signing the magazines for people at the event, like, you can't make this stuff up right. He had it mounted, a farm raised bird mounted, so up on stage, he's talking about all this stuff on the Tom Brady of Turkey Hunting, I killed the moby Dick of Turkey and then I said, well, you know what, we actually have this on film?
Speaker 2: Why we roll it?
Speaker 1: And in front of five hundred people A year later he finds out it shows me getting the bird, and he's on stage like, are you serious? Like all this realization it's one of the greatest videos.
Speaker 2: You'll ever watch. Man.
Speaker 1: We laughed so hard.
Speaker 2: Didn't you do a prank on one of our tight ends? And he got real bad? Almost Oh did I on a tight end? Didn't you move her into his car or something? He got Superman?
Speaker 1: Oh oh he was fired up. Well no, you know why? Oh no, no, hold on, that that wasn't no, that wasn't Hernandez. That was that was his his counterpart in Florida. Uh lineback bike spikes. That's exactly who that was. Yeah, But by the way, Hernandaz and I did not get off on the right foot because I was the guy I had a hoghead in my in my truck.
Speaker 2: That was weird.
Speaker 1: And uh uh you remember you remember Donald Duck.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you put a duck in his locker.
Speaker 1: I did put duck.
Speaker 6: And by the way, for two days, he had no idea it was a live.
Speaker 2: Duck, not a dead duck. I would never do that. A live duck, live duck.
Speaker 1: And it was quacking and everything else, and he must have thought it was just like us messing around with him. I'm like, what point is he?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: The thing needed water that goes terrible. Anyway, he took it home. By the way, the duck is still alive. I'm not just saying that, like Duck's fine. Don't don't think ducks and.
Speaker 2: Trust is David Donald. His name was not Donald Duck. But we did say that.
Speaker 1: We used to get him all those little ducks and they have a whole bunch of them, like one looks like a ballerina and you know, like a little one. Anyway, I put it and then somebody was like, hey, man, you know he's the guy that got busted smoking weed at Florida State.
Speaker 2: I'm like, sweet or Florida. I'm like this is awesome.
Speaker 1: So I took his hogshead and I put it in there, and I wrote up a piece of paper, painted it red on one end, and I stuck it in the hog's mouth, and I said, hey, welcome to the team. It's time to go hog wild. And I thought that was funny. I found out when he walked in he was not impressed. And I was like, that's kind of a dick. Got a dick, So anyway, neither here nor there, spikes. I watched him pull up a Patriot place and get out of his his his whatever the car was, and he had a handicap thing that he put in his windshield, and I'm like, mother trucker, Like, by the way, that is a total dick.
Speaker 2: MAE can't do that. You can't do that. Can't do that, player lot.
Speaker 1: And by the way, it's not like he blends in. He he was wearing like a full like mink fur coat or something. I don't know, like he did the kind of he was kind of a pimp kind of he.
Speaker 2: Kind of brought to the craft way.
Speaker 1: Yes, like I don't know where he hired her, but that was some crazy stuff. So when I saw that, I'm like nah, that can't happen. And it was a part of me being an old timer. I'm like, that's just not right. So I stole his car. I still have that. I still have the handicap sign that he put in. It's in my room.
Speaker 2: Where did you put the car?
Speaker 1: I put it over by the bubble And he was so like he wanted the smartest one out there. He was so dumb he could not figure out. He came to me and was like, did you take my car? I'm like nah, and he's like all right. And like three days later, I'm like, has the guy got his car?
Speaker 2: They're like nah, huh. Like days and days.
Speaker 1: Go by, I'm like, oh, this guy's troubled.
Speaker 2: Very troubled. Jaggie break down These New England Patriots.
Speaker 4: Oh man, this was a heck of a year for the Pats. Fourteen and two, best record in the league, won eleven of the last twelve games, coming off a season when we went ten and six. Lost Dan P's in the offseason, DC.
Speaker 2: And fucking P's and that blaze zero is right. Randy ranild them all day long about that. Yes, every walk through in the started practice, Randy walk out Dean P's andw fucking Blade zero lost me a super Bowl ring.
Speaker 4: Speaking of Randy, Randy was traded to Minnesota this October. Also in October, Dion Branch came back. This was the year Tom Brady won MVP. As we talked about earlier, Jules, this was your second season.
Speaker 2: When they traded Randy, I thought I was gonna get some more opportunity. I was like, yeah, it's my shot, it's my shot. Two days later we bring a Branch. Didn't sniffed offensive field yet, but dirty the best.
Speaker 4: A lot of Pro bowlers on this team, to Tom West, Matt Logan, Mankins, Big, Vince Mayo, mccordy, Brandon, Meriweather, Vrabel was on this team. I mean, this was a This was a heck of a Patriots team.
Speaker 2: Who was your biggest bash bro was it? But Manx Logan was a fucking the best man. I tell you what.
Speaker 1: You remember his hands, Yeah, they're like five hens, they are like five and his wrist articulates in some weird snake like I don't.
Speaker 2: Know it's it's uh, that's right.
Speaker 1: He grab and you remember when he did the old uppercut. Remember when he got when he got kicked out. He punched some dude in the nuts. It was awesome, so great anyway, And and Logan wasn't dirty ever, but that dude played with an edge. And I can, I can honestly say that we we had so much fun as a unit, Like whether it was Logan or you know, Sea Bass or Cope, and I mean all the guys we had. Steve I loved legend.
Speaker 2: You remember the Four Locos. Remember he when they banned the Four Locos, he bought a crate of it and had it in his house.
Speaker 1: I saw him drink six in one night. That you shouldn't be alive. No, you shouldn't like one is a bad idea, two is kind of stupid.
Speaker 2: Like that.
Speaker 1: He was indestructible, man.
Speaker 2: No, Steve was a monster. He could burly lift his arm and he was fucking playing. Remember that he'd have.
Speaker 1: Those trouble man you know he he was the only guy that could get knocked down and get back up and still be blocking this guy. Nothing he did technique wise was what Scar wont. And finally Scar was just like, you know what, Steve, You're winning, So I'm just you're good.
Speaker 2: Just do what you do.
Speaker 1: I remember one time we had a party at Ross Hawk Seigin's and he got lost in the woods and he woke up and he had like seven hundred mosquito bites on him because he was like literally in the woods. And the next day, like that day he woke up, we had to go in for our physical, our off season physical, and he shows up and we're all wondering, like, well, we didn't know what happened to him. We kind of thought maybe he made his way home, but he lived a long way from there and his car was still there, so like, we know what, Well, he passed out of the woods. And when he showed up, he's on the table and they're doing the e KG you know they start with that. Yeah, and he's got leaves stuck to him and random spots and welts all over his body.
Speaker 2: Fucking Neil. Neil was awesome. I went to his house in San Diego when we went out there.
Speaker 1: Remember we went out there, Yeah, oh yeah.
Speaker 2: And he did a lot for Bakersfield. He loved that wrestling community. That guy was. I mean, he was a pro wrestler. He beat brock lessener As in the World Championships. I think he did.
Speaker 1: I think he won the collegiate title heavyweight, the Greco Roman, and the freestyle all in the same year. And I think he was the first guy to ever do that.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, he was. He was a bad man, bad man yep. Now what makes Dante's Scarnekio such a great coach?
Speaker 1: First of all, it's a combination, like if you want to talk about an angry, angry individual, just mix. I'm dead serious, man, And you don't see this very often when Italians and Mexicans mate, you get a Dante Scarneki You see what I'm saying, Like, like there's something in there, man, because like very driven, very like like fiery chip. Yeah, you know, like you know you like when you have that. It's so it's kind of like the Allian intensity, right like that like you know, kind of like rip your heart out like mafia kind of thing with like a Mexican like like crazy like a like a like a like a little uh the yap and dog, you know, like because he was he wasn't big, but big guy has definitely feared.
Speaker 2: Him, right Oh. He scared people.
Speaker 1: Hell yeah, like and he coached like some of the biggest monsters out there, and we were all like, yep, we got your coach. We're in task Master a military background, right eop. Coach forever goes goes all the way back to like the you know, the beginning was at SMU when they got the.
Speaker 2: Death penalty there, and then he went to EUOP. Right, yes, yes, And was that like there's a bunch of dudes that came from EUOP.
Speaker 1: He coached. By the way, he was in a made for TV movie. I don't know if you know this or not, and there is evidence of it. Actually, I had the video we played at one time in our meeting room and it was the Pittsburgh and the Steeler Kid. Okay, you can look this up, Pittsburgh and the Steeler Kid. And it was like a Monday Night special back when like Monday Night specials were a big deal, and it had mean Joe Green and all these other guys, and Dante was a coach, played a good role, and I remember, like I forget what his lines were, but I used to say him to him like randomly. Of course, like nobody knew that this movie existed, and he knew it, but he knew, but uh no, he was you know what, man, Nobody worked harder than him on the staff I mean a lot worked as hard, I think, but nobody worked harder than him. He was the first one in the building, first inn, last out, three am. You get there, and he go to bat for us too, man like like we butted heads, like you know, we went at it, but always had a healthy respect for him because if there were things in that game plan, you know, whether it was the coordinator's idea or Bill's idea, and Dante looked at it and said, yeah, that ain't gonna work. He's not going to just hang us out and be like, look, this is what they want, so we gotta do it. He's gonna go there and.
Speaker 2: Be like, nah, you know what I'm saying. And I think that's a big deal.
Speaker 1: I don't know what it's like on other staffs, man, I was on one staff my entire career. But I can tell you one thing. You know, when we went into our openers, I mean, hell, if if I had a problem, I'm sure you even said things at times right like like no, I don't I don't think we should run that earlier, or I'm not feeling that one, And there was input like that. I don't think that's probably normal in every situation.
Speaker 2: No what impress me with coach Scarr and I saw it when we had a different line coach when he took a year away, remember that he left for a year or something. Scar could break down the actual technique and he wouldn't be nice how he would save the line like you.
Speaker 8: Fat fucked you drop your left leg and but like he would tell you what to do, oh yeah, which other guys like that's not unacceptable or you can't do this.
Speaker 2: He would literally say, you know, you gotta do this drop and that's all about. He would tell you what you had to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he'd tell you where you stood. He'd tell you how bad you sucked. I mean, listen to your ass.
Speaker 2: Eys.
Speaker 1: Did you ever see when I did the Dante Scarnaki a motherfucking instructional video how to motherfuck people? In the submission, no oh, explain it unbelievable. So rookies were doing a terrible job with their rookie skits one year, and I'm like, we got to do something make him laugh. So I brought my stuff because I lived in Foxborough, and you know, we stayed the residence in You're trapped in that hotel for a month during training camp. So I brought my film equipment in and we sat there in the residence in and shot this thing with the rookies and I directed it. And it was basically like if you watch like one of those not an infomercial, but like where they're selling things on TV, you know, like, so it was like, you want to learn. It started out with one of the rookies and I can't remember this kid's name.
Speaker 2: He was a lineman.
Speaker 1: You want to learn how to motherfuck people? Are you tired of being taken advantage of as a leader? Do you want to get your people just get in line? Are you not being as productive because you know you could be, Well, here's your chance. Dante Scarneki has padded system designed the motherfuck Everybody into submission. And it was amazing because I wrote down every one of his sayings for years and years. I always had a notepad, like if I was awake it was just to do something stupid like that. And so I had every one of his sayings and we had a scrolling list and it was playing this it was playing the song.
Speaker 2: I thought, this was awesome.
Speaker 1: I will be off other figure, put your tiny hand in mind.
Speaker 2: You know that song yes, and it's playing in the background. I thought that was so awesome.
Speaker 1: It was like little things that I found funny, probably if nobody else did, but it's like and then I had Ryan O'Callaghan was the voiceover for You'll Learn the classics, like if you don't think that shit sucks, you can go fuck yourself.
Speaker 2: And it just kept listening all these classics.
Speaker 1: Oh oh, assiys. He loved to call people assiys, You're not worth hammered shit. Remember him saying that that's not worth hammered shit. If you think that shit's the way to go with, then you can go. I mean like it, like, just kept listening them all the way down. And then what I thought was a stroke of genius. I had Steve Neil and myself. We sat in front of you know, they had the curtains at the residence in and we were on the first floor, so there was a light outside but it was dark, and so I shot and it was a silhouette, so it was like Tony the Tiger. You could just see like our silhouette. And we sat there and made it look like we were talking, but we made the rookies say or no, we said it, and we had the rookies be the silhouette, and I would be like Steve's like, I've been in Dante's Scarnekia's motherfucking system for four years now, and I can honestly tell you it works. That guy can really fuck you, you know, like he's like giving a testimonial, and then there's another guy giving a testimony, so we play that for the rookie skits. I turn around to see Dante's expression, and he's just like stone cold, just like looking at the screen, no emotion. I look over Bill Bill's life because you know how much Bill loved the rookie skits, loved him.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, talking about him last night at the roast. Yeah, Ernie Adams story, we had him out here, Oh my god. Oh you know what.
Speaker 1: I knew that. Somebody told me that you had him here, and I have to go watch it because I'm sure exactly say way love Ernie.
Speaker 2: I love Ernie. Oh my gosh. By the way, genius in the markets back in the day. Oh yeah, I asked him like what I used to ask him all the time. Everyone heard the rumors that he made Bill a bunch of money in the market or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was on a trading floor. Man, that guy was in it. You know, commodity is the whole nine.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we went to dinner with We went to dinner and picked his brain about afterwards.
Speaker 2: What was the tip? He? I remember one investing what you know?
Speaker 1: Yes, by the way, that's some of the best advice in the that that truly is the key right there.
Speaker 4: And then he said, if you wouldn't buy the whole company, don't buy a single share.
Speaker 2: Wow, which that was pretty good. Nie, good words.
Speaker 1: Hey, I'm gonna tell you my favorite Ernie Adams moment of all time.
Speaker 2: And this is all I think. I remember where this is going. Go ahead at practice? The plane.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, man, did you guys talk about that?
Speaker 2: No? Oh, how did you not talk about because I wasn't there. Oh my god.
Speaker 1: So this is so amazing. So our practice fields are right outside the stadium and we have this upper field and we're at practice and there is a plane coming over and I'm sure it's going to one of the air bases, right, but it's like a C one And I'm not kidding you. We can see it coming. Actually, we can feel it coming. And I remember looking and I'm like oh, and I can see the pilot's expression on his face like I'm not just saying that, man, Like I can still see it to this day. And I remember thinking, that's going to hit right where I'm standing because.
Speaker 2: The angle it was coming at it looked like it was.
Speaker 1: It definitely blown up the stadium for sure, man. And I'm looking at this. And by the way, everybody stops, like nobody stops during practice. It wasn't like their fans were there. It wasn't during training camp. This like during the season. And these two nut sacks, and they probably got demoted big time, dude, because I know they got in trouble for doing this shit. They were like buzzing a tower, you know, yeah, permission, go ahead, Maverick. And here they come. And as I'm watching this, my dumb ass should have been doing what Ernie was doing, because the only smart guy on that entire field was Ernie. And he's running, by the way, I never saw Ernie run like this. He's running mock five away from the danger. And I remember thinking at the time, like he's the only smart one. I'm definitely dying.
Speaker 2: I'm definitely dying.
Speaker 1: And that shit is still in my head I can still see him running. I mean the clipboard went flying. I'm not kidding you, dude, He's the only single person that ran away from danger. And that dude buzzes the tower and then when he cleared the stadium, we were all like, oh. And then I thought he was gonna hit that big water tank. Yeah, and dude, he banked right along. And that water tank is what, I don't know, forty feet off the ground. It's not like it's one thousand feet. He's on the surface and didn't die. But anyway, Ernie Adams was the only one that ran away from it.
Speaker 2: Fuck Erny genius. I love that guy. Jesus we had him so when we played I don't know if we talked about on the on the episode, We're playing the Super Bowl and we were at I think Houston, and there was like a rim around the football field, like you know that the old school fields. I used to have that cement rim in the track. Yep. Well, Ernie somehow fell down in the middle of practice, hits his head. He's bleeding profusely out of his head. Joker goes get seven eight stitches, comes back out for practice.
Speaker 4: He had the full rap on his he didn't he.
Speaker 2: Yes, did you football player today to do that?
Speaker 1: No, these guys are soft today?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 1: Are they the players today? And by the way, it's not I don't really put that in as as their fault, and not all of them. There's some football playing Jesse's out there. Like I think I told you this man like David Andrews is a throwback. Yeah, Like if I had take a guy that's in New England right now that you know, I love the way he plays, like a style like his approach to the game, David would be it. I think he's a great you know, well he's he's a great voice in that locker room for a lot of reasons. But man, I'll tell you what, Man, the violent side of the game what I love the most, and not just to be violent. Football is a violent sport. You should want to try to knock the guy out across the line from you.
Speaker 2: Legally, legally.
Speaker 1: But in today's world, man, how in the world do you prepare yourself? You know, the league has a real problem, a legit problem on their hands, and it's being masked by fan duel and all these gambling sites right because the revenue is still coming in. But the passion the average fan and and and the rabid fan has left the game and droves. And that's not a good thing for football, now, you know what I'm saying, Like, look look at it in terms of jersey sales and all that other stuff, Like there's only so much that Taylor's the Swifties can do. Okay, Like he keep going down that road. See how that pans out, you know what I mean? Like we need football playing jessin. We need to bring the violence back. We need to allow these guys to blow people up over the middle.
Speaker 2: I mean can though we as players suit the owners. So the owners are going to sit there and say we're changing the rules.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but not really though, I mean not really though. I mean the lawsuits you're talking about more on the concussive side, Yeah, those were in play long before, and those are just a function of doing business. Like you think about all these industries and how they mitigate risk. Right, it's all insurance. It's all a game, right, Like I can go out and have an event where we shoot a lot of guns and we do and there's a higher probability, higher probability of chaos there versus on a field, Right, cheap insurance, so you can ensure against everything. It's not that there's always been people trying to suit.
Speaker 2: The league.
Speaker 1: League knows how to get around that. They changed the game fundamentally after twenty eleven CBA, the last one I was a part of that changed the game. And as you know, they can't practice, they don't hit, and they can't get their bodies ready. And where you see it most is in the line play because that's the guys that need it the most. You guys can go run routes and do technical stuff right and get yourselves right for the most part, although they still need more work because there's a lot of sloppiness. Man, there's a lot of line of scrimmage bullshit. It's a it's a there's a much better product five ten years ago on the field from an execution standpoint.
Speaker 2: I mean, Tommy was saying that he got in trouble for saying.
Speaker 1: That, and he was right, and he was saying that almost a decade ago. You know what I'm saying. And I remember having that conversation with him. He's like, it's so easy right now, so and I'm not saying it was easy in terms of we're gonna win every game kind of mentality. But in terms of what it takes, all I'm saying is is that they did all of it, all the rule changes, everything the league did to get their seventeenth game and they're about to get their eighteenth.
Speaker 2: It wasn't it because they want to have that super bood President's Day.
Speaker 1: It wasn't about players safety, health and wellness. I'm not saying they want to see guys hurt. I'm just telling you we were floated this idea that all the changes were centered around making the game safer, making the game safer, and the game is not safer if you look at it from a rate of injury, the rate of injuries that actually gone up, soft tissue, all that stuff. They can tell you anything they want, I'm telling you the numbers would prove that. And you don't even have to have the inside scoop on it. You can just watch it. Look at how many of the of the starters and the backups. And by the way, if you're a backup today, you haven't taken a real live rep maybe since training camp. You know what I'm saying, like, because there's not enough time. So it's a problem.
Speaker 2: Man, practices, or.
Speaker 1: They can't hit two days in a row. We hit twice in one day, two different sessions. So what I'm saying is all that stuff was done because they wanted to get their seventeenth and eighteenth game. And yes, there's more revenue out there. It's Almo in front of the guys. Hey, yeah, we're not gonna be hitting as much.
Speaker 2: Yeah we won't hit as much.
Speaker 1: Yeah we're gonna take away a preseason.
Speaker 2: Get them in the back end with that eighteenth game.
Speaker 1: And by the way, I could care less. You want to get seventeen eighteen negotiated, get it done like anybody else.
Speaker 2: And they did.
Speaker 1: They finally got it done. Pay the guys, that's fine, but don't do what you're doing because you keep going down this road. These guys are not ready to play a season. They're not ready to survive a season in entirety, and they sure as hell aren't executing at a level that is acceptable.
Speaker 2: No. I mean, training camp by the time I retired was a joke.
Speaker 1: It was the worst days of my life, oh and yours in the beginning.
Speaker 2: First time, I was never I never ran like that in my life. I was a quarterback bro I was like slinging JoJo's in special teams periods at Kent State, you know what I mean, Like I had to run every period I was dead. We used to have run game in the morning, past game in the afternoon, double days, remember that, oh Man hot, vivid sticky. I mean by the time I left, Bro, you didn't have you didn't have three days in a row, or it was like three days on and then you get one day off mandatory. It was fucking crazy.
Speaker 1: Remember when we used to get the iron Man Award. If you made it all through training camp because you were a football play you were a bad dude. If you made it all the way through without you know, getting dinged up to where you couldn't practice. And by the way, on that note, going back to our boy, Briggsy had a security We were filming a thing for the Oil Consortium for Craft. It was like like we got paid to go do something right. And so because it was they were like a big sponsor of the stadium, they were coming in the back enter and try by Briggs's house and it was Russ Hoaks, Syne and I And it was supposed to be like Russ coming out of his house and the oil delivery truck coming up, and I was doing something. I was like dog cussing the cheerleaders for some reason. Actually that wasn't part of it. I just took that upon myself.
Speaker 2: And it was funny.
Speaker 1: They gave him the video. But anyway, when we're doing it, I told Russ, I said, hey, you know we're gonna be doing this at Briggs's house. I said, I'm going to steal something from Briggs's house. Right in front of him. He's like, no, you're not. I'm like, yes, I will. And dude, so he, being British, had a gargoyle, a concrete gargoyle, and it was sitting on the railing of his porch and Briggs is here, Russ is right here wearing a robe, looking like an idiot, and I'm sitting here and it was kind of raining out, and I have my rain jacket. I put my jacket over the gargoyle and we're talking, and right in front of him, I kind of gripped my jackets. It looked like I was just grabbed my jacket and I cup and that thing was heavy about damn dropped it and I just took it right on my side and I said, oh, I got to go back to my truck and I put that gargole in my truck. When we got done, Russell was like, I thought you were going to steal something from him.
Speaker 2: I'm like I did.
Speaker 1: He's like, no, you didn't. And I opened my truck door and there's a gargol and he is dying right Fast forward and I'm tying this back in hanging with me. Fast forward to the end of training camp, and I got my little Iron Man. We got a T shirt, right, and we do we do anything for a T shirt. So I got my T shirt and Briggs is walking past me, but I had put the gargoyle in my locker up where my shoulder paths were and it was like sitting there. And he walks past me and he stops and he looks. He backs up and he goes, it's up my phone gogole. I swear to God, you cannot write this script. And I go what And I look at it. I look at him. I'm like, what are you talking about. He goes, I'm a phone goggle. I'm like, no, it's all gargle. I was like, Bill gave me that. It's like for being like the Iron iron Man, iron deer on a law, you know, like like it was a it was a symbol of me watching over the team. He's like, oh god, we'll just look it. And he walks away.
Speaker 6: Now I'm dying inside.
Speaker 1: And Logan saw the whole thing and he's dying. Right next day, I walk in, No Gargoyle, Okay, So I'm like, all right, he got it. Never talked to him about it, never had a real conversation. Right, It's funny how that works. Right, We're all busy, like trying to get better and be really good. So years go by and we go back for a reunion for like the three Super Bowl you know, guys that were there for all three of them, right at the beginning ones. And we're there and I brought my RV and we're having a great time. And then Steve Neil we go up because Kratz has a little reception in that little room up there with all of his people, and Steve goes, hey, man, let's let's go down to Briggs's office. We'll mess around. I'm like, oh yeah, rubber nuts over his keyboard.
Speaker 4: To be awesome.
Speaker 2: I'm just kidding. I wasn't gonna do that, probably would have.
Speaker 1: And we walk in and and I sit down in his office. I got my feet up on his desk, and Steve's taking a picture and I look.
Speaker 2: Up and the gargoyle is on the shelf. I stole it again. It's at my house. I have it right now.
Speaker 3: It's amazing double jeopardy.
Speaker 2: Oh, man, fucking gargoyle.
Speaker 1: I got it. It's the greatest man. It's in my office. Old Briggs. He left, Yeah, many doing big security, like world security stuff.
Speaker 2: I liked him. I liked him at the end. First he hated me, Jack, want you ahead take us into the game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let's run through the lead up real quick, and then we'll get through this butt kicking up in Buffalo. So the Bills entered this thing four and ten. Pats come in twelve and two. They're firing on all cylinders. We had won that game thirty eight to thirty in the Week three matchup. This game would clinch an AFC East title for the Pats on a six game win streak, wins by twenty one or more in three of the last four weeks, turnover free for seven weeks leading up to this game, and the defense had forced seven turnovers in that span so pretty darn good plus minus differential there.
Speaker 1: Hair like really good hair.
Speaker 4: This was long hair Brady season.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was like when he first was getting the plugs, like the you know what I'm saying, like that whatever that miracle grow stuff there sprinkling him.
Speaker 2: He always said he had what was that ship that Alex Skucia or something, I don't know, Ksha Berry or something.
Speaker 4: And then the game itself twenty two degrees sixteen mile an hour wins. This is Buffalo December weather. The games the day after Christmas.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: The Bills got on the board first with a Ryan Lindell field goal, then wood Woody punched one in a twenty nine yard run to put the Pats up seven to three, and they never looked back, scoring twenty one unanswered a Gronk TD, another Shane Graham field goal, an Algae Crumpler TD. The tight ends were all over the place today. Gronk had another touchdown the second half, and the defense forcing seven overs four for almost three interceptions.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: The offensive line would let up just one sack. Shane Graham tacked on another field goal at the end to make this thing thirty four to three, just a beat down in Buffalo, and then after this game to wrap the game up, Tom Brady set the record for most consecutive pass attemption with that an interception at three hundred and nineteen, passing Bernie Kozar Ernie who did it in nineteen ninety ninety ninety one season?
Speaker 2: Love it crazy? Bill cut Bernie Cozar?
Speaker 4: Did he really? I forgot about that?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, A Bernie came in with a blow dryer and like an old man hairbrush. I will never forget that. What do you mean, like when when Bernie came, he was like he came in for no, No, it was it Bernie. No, No, who's the guy we signed? It wasn't Bernie Kozar. I'm talking about Ninnie Tes severity, Vinnie Tes. Vinnie T was with us, and remember do you remember when he had when he couldn't read? Were you there for that one? Okay?
Speaker 2: Hold on?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I mean I'm thinking Vinnie T so and then I almost went to Flutie, but it was Vinne T. Flashbacks here been hit a lot, Bill, and you're gonna love this, dude. So you know, the quarterbacks sat in the first row right and Vinnie T's right in front of the podium and Bill's talking about again, probably the Bengals or something. You know how we'd always say, I mean, look, you can't make this shit up, right, because it sounded kind of stupid some of them did. So he would hand like the wire like whatever came off, you know, he would hand it and he handed it to Vinnie T. And he's like, lock you read it. I mean, look, you can't. You can't make this shit up. And he's looking at it and he's like, all right, go ahead and read it, and like he's still not reading it, and he keeps trying to get his arm because he didn't have his glasses on and he couldn't read it.
Speaker 2: And Bill's like, give me that thing and ripped it out of his hands. If we were dying, dude.
Speaker 1: But Vinnie T. Came in and I'll never forget. I'm like, I'm listening to this sound. Nobody has a hair dryer in the locker room, Like that's like, what's your grandfather?
Speaker 2: You like a hair dryer?
Speaker 1: And he had like the old school brush and he's in there just clopping it up glow dryer, like look at this guy, you sell again.
Speaker 2: I remember his story. I remember once we were leaving the shower, and it was just reminding I don't know why, and you go, could you imagine if you used another person's towel right away? Like you explained to me, like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the last thing I dry off and the first thing you dry off?
Speaker 2: Think about that. Let that that's what I remember you explaining this to me. Yeah, it's amazing your memory. I was just so like, what is light talking about? Yeah?
Speaker 1: And then you got it and I got it. And you imagine if you did that and some people's last thing they dried off, like if you caught like a little uh's up the peak guy that's.
Speaker 4: At Lasia hit.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, lady, how do we celebrate this division locking down game?
Speaker 6: So this was a rare one.
Speaker 1: And the reason I love this game is because and I thought, I honestly thought it was the windy one, but you refresh my memory so big time snow we always leave. People don't realize that, right, it could get a Monday night game. It's like, I don't know what one o'clock in the morning by the time the buses finally rolled out, and what, by the way, was that not the worst waiting on all the equipment, all the.
Speaker 2: B So the worst was the hour drive back from the Providence Airport that.
Speaker 1: We could have gotten in our own vehicles, albeit a handle deep in crown. I mean, who knows, but things happened, but probably the best idea we didn't. But yeah, that was the worst. Man, the word, the travel, the downtime. God, it was terrible. And then you know you got to wake up in like hours.
Speaker 2: And go get in the clock and run.
Speaker 1: We do this again. We're never gonna win out fucking game. We won thirty ford to nothing, Bill, I mean, it's not a big deal.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So so we got stuck in Buffalo, ended up going on some buses that took us to Rochester.
Speaker 2: Because there was a hockey tournament in Buffalo. In Buffalo, so there was no hotels.
Speaker 3: That was the World Juniors. If it was around Christmas, that's probably what it was.
Speaker 2: Yep, yep, okay.
Speaker 1: So we on the way to Rochester. I would always do this hunt and they had this this place called Dinosaur Barbecue, big shot out Dinosaur Barbecue places, epic. They always had live entertainment, great barbecue, and we do the one of Syracuse, but I knew they had a location of Rochester. And so we call ahead, I get everything set up, and we basically hit that hotel and immediately the whole team went.
Speaker 2: Whole team coaches, coach.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was hammered and never do that, like we never get an opportunity as a group to go do something. And that was, man, that was a special day.
Speaker 2: Man. That was so fun.
Speaker 1: It was so great and just to see coaches being human and doing like so and by the way, for them, I think it was a huge relief, you know, just to.
Speaker 2: Definitely have that time, man, because the coach, like what, People don't realize that the coach's got motherfuck just as much as we did, if not.
Speaker 1: Worse, probably worse, man, And longer and.
Speaker 2: Longer, the staff would sit and watch every single play of practice as.
Speaker 1: A unit, and then watch it again with us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then watch again with us, and then watch it again at night.
Speaker 1: And watch again at night. No doubt grueling, man, I'll tell you, you know. And in a moment, I don't think I respected it very much in my early years, but by the time you've been around it long enough, you know, towards the end of my career, I was like, holy smokes man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're leaving to go home after a twelve hour day and you're watching the coaches see their kids in the parking lot for an hour before they got night meetings. No doubt, that's why people ask you want to go to coach? No, never want to coach.
Speaker 1: Ither hit my nestle the rubber Like, that's a terrible idea.
Speaker 2: What about a steel hammer?
Speaker 1: Yeah I'm not thoor, but yeah that would hurt.
Speaker 2: So what happened at this barbecue joint? What do we do? Chugg chugging beer? There's a lot to you.
Speaker 1: By the way, By the way, do they know you're like you have to be up there on.
Speaker 2: A board somewhere. I can chug a beer.
Speaker 1: And and the other guy that can chuck a beer, that's a little kind of a you wouldn't think so with like he's a little bit of a soft kiddy and some man categories. I mean, we just roasted him yesterday, so we can just say it. Tommy can chuck a beer. He can chug a beer. He doesn't look like a chugger, no, but he can chuck a beer. He's you know what that tells me? He can got a good opening.
Speaker 2: Of the jaw.
Speaker 1: Oh, yeah, yeah, you know he I will never forget. We used to practice at Bryant's College and that was a training camp. And there's a little place right when you turn into Brian College called Parentes, And I'll never forget because thy law and Lawyer, law Dog and all these guys would be like brand Is and we'd all go there and we'd sneak in and we get back right before curfew. And we were there one time and I remember Izzoh challenged Brady and I'm thinking, dude, is I was gonna smoke this cat and they and it was back when they had the pictures and they're pouring into the like a solo cuffs and I remember Tommy put that thing back and I'm like, oh my god, this kid's a gamer.
Speaker 2: He's a game gamer bringing off a fucking gamer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was a lot of chugging going on that night. I remember some guys got lost in the shuffle trying to get back to it. I remember somebody was late the next morning to the team meeting.
Speaker 2: Who I can't remember who it was, Nino, Oh, it was Ninko. I was like, this is unbelievable.
Speaker 6: It's like number three.
Speaker 2: I think it was meat.
Speaker 1: I guarantee it was Ninko. It was definitely Ninko. Something happened to him. He got he got a little sideways or something. I don't know, but he was definitely late to the team. And Bill didn't care though.
Speaker 2: That was a good point. Yeah, because we clinched. Yeah, yeah, yeah, we clinched. And it was also a kind of fucked up schedule. Yes. Also, remember we went to London. We had that same kind of vibe when we went to We almost fought the rams.
Speaker 1: You guys went to. I was hurt on that one there. It killed me.
Speaker 2: Man, Oh, that was a fun trip.
Speaker 1: Killed me.
Speaker 2: Dude. Jared is getting like he couldn't even walk to the bus the next morning because we stayed out.
Speaker 1: The Gallery of Diamonds.
Speaker 2: Jared Jared, Jared Jared our it guy.
Speaker 1: It could only be jermy dude. I said that every time I saw him. By the way, Jared's the best, the teddy, and Jared Jared's the one like that literally was losing his mind bringing a new mouse and new keyboard in for Dante. When I used a little stick that I put in this computer.
Speaker 2: It was stick, the.
Speaker 1: One that made his mouse wander all over the place.
Speaker 2: Can you how long did you keep this prank? Going?
Speaker 1: Seven months and he lost it? Dante Los I forgot about it, to be honest with you. It wasn't like a plan that I put it in there towards the end of one seat and I was testing it and it had like a thing where you could ramp up the volume and it could do three different things, but I chose to do one.
Speaker 6: It would just make the mouse wander randomly.
Speaker 1: And I remember I put it in and I'd see it because we'd be watching film and he'd be using the remote and all of a sudden, the mouse just kind of wander over. But then it wouldn't do it for like an hour. So I kind of forgot about it. And I remember in the off season guys were complaining about they had a hard time with it, but I didn't put two and two together. Well, then we got to OTA's and I'm sitting in there watching film again, I'm like, this sucks, and I see the mouse wander I'm like, oh snap.
Speaker 2: And I sat right in front of Dante.
Speaker 1: Because he couldn't see me sleeping, so and I had an amazing ability to couple tell you this my head never bobbed, never, and I'd be dead asleep perfectly sitting there. And Dante recognized it too. He ignowed like, I know, I know you can sleep without moving your head. It's amazing.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, oh, thanks, coach, And so I would. I could reach right.
Speaker 1: Behind me and pull that thing out, and I remember I ramped it up and I put it back in, and that's when all hell broke loose and Dante's dog cussing it. He go get Jimmy D, he go get Jared. They bring in a new keyboard, a new mouse. They put it all in then the next day and by the way, when they come in, I just pop it out, so they're like messing with their like, coach, well we'll put a new keyboard mouse in.
Speaker 2: So that went on for like a.
Speaker 1: Week and Dante's losing his shit. He can't run his meeting right. And the minute he go to click on something to be like woo, he flung a bitch and he bring it back over and try to click. I remember the day I walk in and Jimmy D stops me and he goes, look me in the eye, and don't you lie to me. He goes, I found that stick because I forgot to take it out.
Speaker 2: One day.
Speaker 1: I found that stick that USB drive you put in a computer, and your dumb ass almost made it so that I fired XOS. I'm like, what are you talking about?
Speaker 4: He's like, what do you mean?
Speaker 1: What am I talking about? He's like, I couldn't figure out what the hell is wrong. I'm blaming the software company. I'm dog cussing them every single day for a freaking week. He's like, don't ever do that again.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh my god, it's amazing. Did you get him with a shocking remote too?
Speaker 1: I did, and that one was so great because he on his remote control for running the video Cowboy clicker, yep, the Cowboy. He there's a piece of tape on it and it said remote and I took mine, and my remote was it wasn't it wouldn't do nothing. But I put that sticker, that piece of tape over it, and it had all these little buttons, and it had one chrome button that was outlined in red, and if I told you the world would end if you clicked it, you couldn't help yourself. It was so cool looking, shiny, you know what I mean. Like it's just like something you had to press. So I put the little thing on there, and I'll never forget man, he said, I didn't tell I never used to tell the guys anything. And I'm sitting there waiting for the shoe to drop right, and he walks in. He's talking about something up on the whiteboard, and he comes, all right, we're gonna watch a little third down here. And he's sitting there and he's got the tape playing. He goes, oh, he goes, I got a new remote, and I can hear him say it.
Speaker 2: I'm like, oh shit, here we go. And he goes, I wonder if.
Speaker 1: This thing's got a laser pointer on it, because a laser pointer on this other one didn't work. He hits the button. You can hear the electricity go through him. He's like, oh god, damn it. And he drops it and he picked it up and did it again. And that's when we lose it, because the first time that happened, like, Cope's looking at me like holy shit, like what was that? And I've given him a look like oh my god, and he did it the second time. And when we all start losing, he is, okay, all right, you fat fuckers. He goes, We'll see how funny this is out of practice?
Speaker 2: What do you make you do? Run? Oh man? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, by the way, that okay. So I'm so sorry, but this was reminded me that look of copin. There's one other time, and I don't know if you remember this. Remember Pierre Woods, I lived with them. Do you remember what I did to him? And this is one of my This is one that I wish, like hell I would have. I usually film most of my up I didn't film this one. No, I didn't remember.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: So this is amazing. So one year, going into camp, I'm thinking about things like, you know, I should do a dwardo the blow up doll, and I'd be butt naked stitting over it when the coach would comeing to do room check. I had two candles typically send it in Bayberry and like I'd have Marvin Gaye playing and I'd literally have my ass facing them and I'd be putting lipstick on a big blow up doll. And when they walk in, I hear the door open, I turn and be like no, no, no, and they'd be like shit. It'd be like the young guy and all the other coach when I walk in. They'd be like, oh, dude, you should have seen his face now, he was freaking out. I'm like, I know, I got it good, or I'd be dancing with him butt naked.
Speaker 2: It was awesome.
Speaker 1: I used to love room check man.
Speaker 2: Anyway. Ivan was always funny.
Speaker 1: Was I even hated it when I did that stuff. When I found out that Ivan was doing that, I always had something special for him. He didn't find any of it funny, I don't think, but that was all right.
Speaker 2: I still.
Speaker 1: So going getting ready for camp. I'm like, okay, I gotta do something, and so I went. I went to a gas station in Foxborough and I bought like, I think it was like crossword puzzle scratch off tickets, right, and I bought the whole role. It was like eight hundred and sixty bucks or something. And I walk in on like day three, and I dropped it at the beginning of the locker room, and it was like it was like an accordion. They were all together, and I walked almost halfway through the locker room and I was like, hey, boys, if we're gonna be in here all day, we might as well try to make some money. Let's have some fun.
Speaker 2: With it.
Speaker 1: So guys are coming over and ripping them off. I was like, eh, do whatever, man, just scratching them away. And it worked perfectly because they all became crackheads and you couldn't get a scratch off ticket in Foxborough. You drive to another town to get scratch off tickets. I remember, and there's shavings everywhere, like I mean, shavings over the whole place. So I let that boil for a while and about a week and a half into it. Because now again today, everybody knows these things. Back then, nobody saw the fake scratch off tickets. The problem though, is that I had to create a narrative because these fake scratch off tickets they were smaller. So I started talking about how like, man, you can't find you know, and I didn't. It just worked out to work out this way. But I said, I can't find the crosswords, so I've been doing the four leaf clover or some shit, the Irish one. And then I'm like, you know what, though, but they have these really cool ones. I think they're county tickets. It's not state tickets, they're county scratch off tickets. But they say that the odds are really good on them, like you can hit big. So I set the scenario. So this day, in particular, after laying all this ground where Coping's right next to me, and Pierre was like right next to me too, and there's a whole bunch of other guys and they're all crackhead. They're all scratching tickets and we would let other guys scratch tickets for us, right, So Pierre's sitting there and I had those sitting there, and I was telling Cope and he heard me talking about the county ticket and he goes, liter, you want me scratch some of these for you. I'm like, yeah, man, whatever you gotta do. So he's sitting there and he's scratching, and I'm just scratching.
Speaker 2: I'm just waiting, scratching.
Speaker 1: All of a sudden, he's like, oh, light, dog, you got you need one more for twenty five Oul, twenty.
Speaker 2: Five Poul for one more.
Speaker 1: All of a sudden, dude, he scratched it. He's like, hey dog, hey, hey, hey, light, Like look.
Speaker 2: At this shit.
Speaker 1: You just want twenty five thousand dollars like you just want twenty whoop whoop. And he it's up and he starts running around the locker room and the next thing, you know, dude, it's like soul trained. Everybody's dancing. They crank the music up, like.
Speaker 2: Twenty five twenty five baby, and he's running all over the place.
Speaker 1: Everybody's amped up. Copein's looking at me. I'm like, damn, I just want twenty five thousand, you know, And I say, hey, man, come here. It comes over and I go, I guess I just take it to where I got it.
Speaker 5: Hunt.
Speaker 1: I go, it's the same thing about where to claim it? Now on the back of it, he turns it around and he goes to claim prize. Please go see Santa Claus the North pot man.
Speaker 2: What the shit?
Speaker 1: He's like, if Santa Claus is not available, please see the Tooth Fairy. And like he's like looking at me and like huh, And the copin looks at me, and I'm like and he knows. Immediately Pierre read the whole thing. Finally, I'm like, I'm sorry, man, I didn't win. He was so mad at me, dude, so mad at me. But if you would have seen that scene, you would have died, dude.
Speaker 2: I remember for a while, scratchers were huge in the locker room in that training room. That's why, Jesus Jack what we got all right?
Speaker 4: To wrap this thing up, The Pats went on to win, We got out of Buffalo, got home safely, would finish the season fourteen and two, but unfortunately lose in the AFC Division Round in the Can't Wait Game to the freaking Jets.
Speaker 2: Brutal, brutal Bart Scott Bart Scott.
Speaker 4: Tom Brady would finish the year with three hundred and thirty five consecutive pass attempts without an interception, breaking his own two thousand and seven t D to interception ratio as well with a record of nine to one. He was MVP, and the Patriots committed an NFL record low ten turnovers on the season, Pretty darn impressive and statistically, the twenty ten offense was more efficient play for play than the record setting two thousand and seven offense, which is pretty crazy, buts were taken.
Speaker 2: Aw We also ran the ball down on people's throat, by the way.
Speaker 1: That that's probably the biggest component I think in in the offensive you know, game plan, mindset. You know, Dante used to always say we rush the ball twenty five times or more, we're gonna win the game. In most most cases, right, yeah, and it's so true, man, And I think again, you know, Bill always talked about, you know where you developed toughness, right, offense and defensive line and special teams, right, and then where specifically in the run game offensively, you know, if you can develop that and and again I'll go back to not be the Debbie downer, but if you can't put the pads on and hit and condition and get rep after rep after rep, you can't be a good run team. And by the way, we know we were really good at screens man, And and that's you know, how delicate that process.
Speaker 2: What do you call it? The sideline, the marker in between the hash where you guys always had to get to yes, man, and numbers in the hash. Yeah, where I used to first out, first up.
Speaker 1: And then look back. I remember one time Bill came to me, He's like, why'd you do that? Because I was running on a tear screen to go kick out number one, and it'd be one of those where, like, you know, you'd get coming and I'm trying to kick the guy out and my fat ass just trying to get there in time. Well, I'm running full speed at this dude, and I must have just said. I don't remember consciously, but I hit the brakes and peeled back and there was a guy trailing and he was behind me and I hit him. He was most dangerous. Just happened. And Bill's like, I'll never forget. He's never come and asked me a question like that. But even I when I was when I did it, I was like, I don't know why I did that, but I'm glad I did that shit. And he came and asked me. He's like, why'd you do that? Because you shouldn't have done that, But I'm glad you did that. But dude, screens were Screens are such an important part of an offense, and they're so hard that you have to have smart physical players.
Speaker 2: Slows down the pass rush.
Speaker 1: Oh, such a weapon, man, it's a huge weapon.
Speaker 2: I know it.
Speaker 1: Run game and screens, man, That's that's what I would focus on, man, if I was coaching today in the NFL, all the other stuff. You know a lot of teams can do. You know certain aspects of the overall passing game pretty well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, as you know better than anything is you can't control the game unless you run the ball.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what I mean that's how you control the game. Well, how bad were you dying when we would go into these no huddle you know, throwing like every single you know, Timmy wanted to throw the ball every down, right, Yeah, you guys had to be dying at times.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was tough. I mean when we played in that Super Bowl in sixteen, we had one hundred and like ten or fifteen offensive plays. That's a big game. That's two games, yeah, like a legit two games where he had one hundred and ten plays or something. It was gnarly. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Man, we've had games in the fifties. Yeah, you know, I mean that's two that's two damn games.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Know how they could do that today and keep it up at a high level, Dude.
Speaker 2: It's gonna it's it's gonna pendule him back. Because linebackers are getting small. Linebackers are two hundred and twenty five pounds. It's fucking crazy, two thirty Yeah, and you can exploit that right, Yeah, to your point, you can get you can. They're light, and a lot of the dns they just want to rush. You know. All these guys are built for fucking pinning their ears back and getting to the quarterback.
Speaker 1: You think about the guys that we were blocking up front, the Dwight Freenies and the Mathis's, and I mean even think about our division. Like a guy like Aaron Shobel Hustler just got after right, John Abraham for me in the early days, Serxes or Jason Taylor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because he did look just like he really did. He did Acrod Oh yeah, man, yeah, school too, he was homeschooled. Yeah. Man, you know Gronk lived with them in high school. When Grenk get kicked out of school and with j T. Yeah, his family. He went to Pittsburgh Wild. That's a weird combination. It's weird, well Gronk, Gronk said, in the sense, I guess he sends an email to one of his teachers like suck my piece or something. Yeah, it got kicked out of school and so I went to Pittsburgh to play high school football.
Speaker 1: From what I heard, he was very flexible when he was in high school. Gronk was he yeah, yeah, is this a joke? No, but you should probably talk to him about that.
Speaker 4: Oh what he's on next time?
Speaker 2: I won't be that guy. Ohod just you.
Speaker 1: Know, good hamstring flexibility. I mean, he was a good athlete.
Speaker 2: Obviously he's a monster, very flexible. Jack wet he left over.
Speaker 4: We got a couple. Uh, just to clarify here, shout out to Clark Hunt and the Kansas City Chiefs. Just got rid of the stools in the locker room this march. Replace them with shares.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 4: They were one of the last holdouts.
Speaker 1: That's always good for them.
Speaker 2: I don't remember them. I do remember them because anytime we play a stool thing, I would think about you a stool team like that.
Speaker 4: Like, oh my god. And we got to give a little love to Scar getting his IMDb credits up. The movie The Steeler and the Pittsburgh Kid nineteen eighty one, starring Jhontay Scarnekia as coach Uh. The movie was based on the the Me and Joe Green coke commercial, which is pretty crazy. Yeah, insane, pretty good. Yeah, it was h it's a deep cut. I love that one.
Speaker 2: Scar.
Speaker 4: We gotta go back and watch that one.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back after this quick break. Now, let's name the game. What's the name of this game? We're staying in Buffalo Turnover Fest twenty ten. What is that? We didn't have any turnovers. It's seven only four to seven four seven, But we didn't turn the ball over.
Speaker 4: No, that's true. We got anything else, or you.
Speaker 2: Got a better name for this game. Dinosaur for life. Here we go, dinosaur for life. Yeah, baby, Now, let's score the game. Is this the greatest game of all time? Let's score it. That's a zero steaks huh?
Speaker 1: Not the greatest game of all time?
Speaker 2: No way, one to ten decimals. Okay, steaks steaks point point five point five? Yeah, you do it too. Yeah, I'll say a four five.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're right, you're right.
Speaker 2: But yeah, a great scheme with me. It's Buffalo, you know what I'm saying. Little brothers. You know, it sucks that now we're the little brothers. And I know, at least when we were the older brothers, like the big boys on the block, we were going out beating up the other kids.
Speaker 1: By the way, one of the greatest Buffalo games was we ship low Doll down there, lawyer ly and they whoop our tail thirty one and nothing season opener yep. And by the way, we shipped in there like the week before and it was so awkward, you know, how like when that white buffalo comes in and snatches a dude. The feeling in there is so weird, especially when it's one of your top guys.
Speaker 2: And then can you explain what the white buffalo is? Yeah? Like this.
Speaker 1: So we always said, there's this bend that they bring out in the locker room and they throw all the guy's stuff and they clear out that locker and you come in and man, that dude's just gone the turk.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, and.
Speaker 1: That when that happens to a guy like him, though, Man, it takes a little bit Like I like when Logan was traded. That was weird that that had to be crazy. I wasn't there for that, obviously, but you were there.
Speaker 2: I was there. It was crazy. I was like, what the fuck are we doing?
Speaker 1: And by the way, what was he thinking?
Speaker 2: We won a super Bowl that year?
Speaker 1: I know it's the crazy thing, but that was not a good move on his part in my opinion.
Speaker 2: But whatever, what do I know. I'm not a world record coach. You're a world record, handsome gentleman. Let's get back to star power, you know, to say that when when one to ten star power of this game, I.
Speaker 1: Don't know four with these numbers.
Speaker 2: It's all right, I'll say six. Okay. The gameplay of this game, it was a blowout.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean from our perspective, it was pretty pretty stellar, pretty amazing.
Speaker 2: Guys ran with two hundred and fourteen yards.
Speaker 1: Every fat man's dream, man's just to run the ball every single play.
Speaker 2: You rather hit someone than get hit all day.
Speaker 1: Long, man back in, go forward. Give me a nine on gameplay, I'll give it a eight one. What's the name? Category mean?
Speaker 2: You gotta you gotta score the name of the game. Oh, okay, score the name of the game.
Speaker 3: And the cultural impact of the game.
Speaker 1: How much it like that has a lasting? Yeah, I'm gonna I'm gonna go nine again because I I felt it on this game.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go seven point eight seven eight all right, geez, look at these guys. The Russian We went full Russian judge.
Speaker 4: That was before I knew it. I had a great name. Dinosaur for Life game.
Speaker 2: Five point eight? Where's that? Where does that go on? On the leaderboard? That puts us dead last? Just below game.
Speaker 4: Two of the twenty fourteen n LDS. So we're like the.
Speaker 1: Let's have a whole system here. This is like, uh, it's wild.
Speaker 2: Those are all the games we've done. That's a lot. There's a lot of work being put into this. I see.
Speaker 1: It's you know, you know, like so I've never been on social media in my life. Yeah, and so I'm a little bit of a dinosaur myself in that respect. But you know what, here's my theory, man. I think it's actually going to become like the cool thing down the road, to be like retro No, yeah, you know what I mean, like bell bottoms and all this stuff. It ends upcoming cyclical, right. I think there's going to be a cachet to the people that like, I don't know anything about this cat, like I can't find nothing. I mean, although I've kind of shared most of my secrets today except for one. Thank you, Thank you center, next one, next.
Speaker 2: Time, next time. Let's really good, it's got it. We have everybody in. You gotta ring the boys in.
Speaker 1: I always feel like somebody's what. I started singing that and he finished it in the shower. Do you remember did you know that? I know you're gonna love that. I'm never gonna love that. That happened in real time. We're at the fighting artichokes or something, and I started singing that right next and he finished it and we almost lost it. Don't be an idiot, all right, stop this is terrible, Matt. You want to plug anything and man, you know what, as you know, Man, as much fun as I like to have shoot out and the foundation. Man, look you know again, I was the most fortunate guy ever. I didn't know anything about what I was getting myself into. Got to play with guys like yourself, so many others. We did it at a high level, We had fun doing it, we won, and all of that gave me a platform.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: We work with about seventy five hundred kids annually. It's all about leadership, man, It's about speaking the truth to young people.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: We don't sugarcoat things. We push them outside their comfort zone. We take kids that maybe would have never had an opportunity to do something. We spend time with them, my dad, my mom, my wife, my kids, my aunts and my uncles, our employees. I love it. It's been my life passion. I mean when I was playing, when we were playing together, I spent two weeks in the woods running what we call our cultural leadership camp Camp buhocause and I would go from being in New Yorks with these kids for two weeks not working out and I do nothing and then freaking out because I had like five days to run the conditioning tests to get my ass ready. But my mind was right.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: When I got the camp, I was good.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And so it's like been a passion of mine. You know, I come from a family of educators. My mom taught for thirty five years music. My dad is a you know, world renowned, you know, just guy in so many different fields and teacher, and so you know, the work we do through the Life Foundation is all about getting kids to just understand what it means to look people in the eye, treating with respect, earn what they get. Entitlement gets us nowhere. And if I think for young people today, those are the lessons that serve me well. I mean I would have been a total deadbeat, degenerate if I didn't have football and somebody pushing me. Not because my parents, my parents, I mean, I grew up in I was very fortunate, stable home, right parents poured into me. Mom prayed a lot because she had a dumb ass son. And you know that's what I love doing now, man, and I've been fortunate to do it. I mean, look, We've been around for twenty four years, almost right, twenty three years, and we work with about seventy five hundred kids annually. They come through the camp and everything from youth hunts to timber framing Camp teach how kids how to turn timbers into you know, usable parts in a frame to build a home, or build a shed or a covered bridge or a treehouse, all kinds of different things. Amount of love that so you know the shootout is what I mean. We raise all our money. We don't get support from the federal government. We can't get any of this. And as you know, I know you've been to the shootout. Will be our twentieth year.
Speaker 2: Jesus.
Speaker 1: We got t far a hell of a country music artist coming in to celebrate. When is it September seventeenth, Man, it's gonna be awesome. It's a Tuesday. Always on a Tuesday. I'm trying to get Bill. We'll try to get Bill a show up for the first time because he's not working. He's got nothing to do. Do your job more like need a job?
Speaker 2: Got him?
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 2: But I can say I can first hand remembered like Matt light stud football player, but always was making a huge impact with his foundation, the Matt Light Foundation. I mean, he did it for as long as I could remember. You always knew about the shootout. You always knew Matt was doing something for his foundation. He's raised a lot of money to help a lot of people, and I'm super happy for you. Everyone. Go check out the Matt Light Foundation on all social platforms, Matt Light, Matt Lightfoundation dot com.
Speaker 1: Matt Light seventy two dot com and uh yeah, man, you know you want to get involved or want to do something, check out one of our events. All the information is on there, plus the programming. Man's that's the most important part.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: We got great kids, we got great staff, and we're growing. Man. We're gonna open up a trade school before too long.
Speaker 2: Man. Awesome.
Speaker 1: I think that's a big deal. I think it's what we need. We need kids that are willing to put into work. And by the way, if you're in a trade today, you can make bank and you can work for yourself if you wanted to. Yeah, you know what I'm saying, and we need that. We got to rebuild this country. You know, my last little thing here. We used to do great things in this country, man. We used to build great things. Now it's all I Kia, it's all cheap. We used to have public private partnerships. Look at the real leaders, the people that built this country. We took pride in what we have. What's the last thing that was built in La or any major city in this country that you can look at and say, man, that's a that's a work of art. Go to Philadelphia, go look at some of the the architectural stuff. Look at New York City, but it's all old. We have to take pride in what we do again. Man, we got to raise people that respect this country and what it represents. You don't have to like every aspect of it. You have to like everybody that's leading it. But we have to be able to look at each other and have enough common ground and respect to not get caught up in all this bs because it's just stupid, and just go out there and work hard to be the best at what we do, no different than what we did on the field. We want to be the best and we can do that as a country. And we got to get young people to understand that it's not just going to happen and nobody owes you anything, and so buckle up, get ready to go get it. And by the way, when you earn it, it's a hell of a lot sweeter lot sweeter. Oh yeah, man, so I want to go.
Speaker 2: Can I vote for you right now?
Speaker 1: Hey, you just come work with our kids, man, because that's all we got to do. If you want to make a change, work with young people. And here's an last thing I say. You can change the narrative today. It's taking people a long time to instill this terrible world ethic. Yeah, and to break down the fiber of who we are as a country, because you know what it gives other people power. Well, you can undo that overnight just by holding kids accountable. I've seen it in the work we do.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And uh, man, we're so fortunate we have awesome kids we work with.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: I give a shout out to them and our whole staff. Man there, it's a blessing to work with a man.
Speaker 2: We love it. I gave a shout out to you. And that was an unbelievable episode.
Speaker 1: Wow, I loved it, man, Thanks for having me, Thanks for coming, and we survived last night. And I would say you were flipping unbelievable.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: I was nervous for you. Guys, and you guys crushed it, So I hope everybody watches that.
Speaker 2: Man, it was fun. It was fun the roast check it out. Thanks Matt for coming in, Bubbs. Yeah, buddy man, Matt light funny, funny guy. I told you he'd be great.
Speaker 7: The amount of money and time and energy he spends just from pranking people.
Speaker 4: Incredible dudes like all three and practical jokers rolled into one.
Speaker 2: I remember my rookie year. I didn't get I forgot. It just popped in my head. He was the first one to have segways. He had like eight of them at his house. Yes, no way like he had. He had the coolest toys always.
Speaker 4: That's awesome.
Speaker 2: He was so fun and he also I also remember once asking him on the plane because Matt's a very smart guy. Oh yeah, you know, both of his parents educated, you know what I mean, got you know, he's smart. Yeah. And I was sitting there and I was just I was in like something weird, and he used to sit like write in front of me. I go, Bro, isn't it crazy? We're in like a forty ton ten can thirty thousand feet above air? He goes, No, Bro. Aeronautical engineering so easy to actually know that birds and he walks away or something. He like fully smug me off. Have you never heard of birds? Yeah, he's like, no, it's very easy actually to understand why we're in the air.
Speaker 3: I shot three this morning.
Speaker 2: Bit. I wonder if he stole anything.
Speaker 3: I love I love I love it.
Speaker 7: I love how he was like, oh, I've caught someone stealing we had these like security cameras whatever, And then he spent the next whole episode talking about all the ship stolen.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say, if we ever need a heist, I'm hiring him and his babysitter and we're taking down We're oceans and anything.
Speaker 2: We are oceaning up with Matt Light, and Matt Light would be he'd actually he'd be a really good heist guy.
Speaker 3: And then Ernie's running the show. That's a post gust segment.
Speaker 2: RV.
Speaker 3: You gotta of the NFL. Who's who's your eleven?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Light's definitely.
Speaker 2: Made maybe a lot of Patriots. I bet.
Speaker 3: This stuff.
Speaker 2: What the the narratives are out there? Oh my goodness, Well it's time to hit the old hotline. Remember that number is four two four two nine one two two nine zero you're wandering and one of you guys play that bass guitar. How old is that kid? How old is this kid?
Speaker 4: I'm not sure he might be he might be five. I'm not one hundred percent sure.
Speaker 2: There's no way.
Speaker 3: He's just not around kids.
Speaker 2: That kid is. That kid's probably like eight. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, we do get a call sometimes from this one guy that is five guy kid, and it sounds very similar. He's listed his age in the calls a couple of times.
Speaker 2: I just couldn't understand the last Are we making clean versions on this thing? Hey, it's not our fault. Parents. Fault on parents.
Speaker 4: Explicit parental advisory marked in the show.
Speaker 7: Oh my gosh, but stop dodgs in the question can you slap the BASSA no bass?
Speaker 2: My uncle. My uncle died and he, uh, he was a He was a pretty good musician and he left those and I don't know, I just haven't found a place to them. They look cool. You guys actually put him up there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can play a little bass.
Speaker 2: Not that slap of the bass is good. Question? Twelve year old or an eight year old if we're lucky.
Speaker 9: They have The Going Duels Big Podcast Season one names Billy I'm down here in South Florida. I got a recommendation for maybe doing something different with the games with names. Maybe doing an action sport, you know, maybe one of those type masters Kelly Slater winning it All surfing title, Surfing Champion eleven times. Maybe do one of those iCal big waves competitions, maybe the nine hundred pulled by Tony Hawk in the X Games, or maybe one of those legendary performances by the fline Tomato, Sean White. I think that would be kind of cool. Get a different type of sport. Show some love to those guys with the great balance and the balls of steel. Appreciate taking my call. Good luck with the rest of the season. Love the show.
Speaker 2: Yes, we definitely need to. I mean everything. He I remember all those. I grew up in the Bay Area, so it was always around like the skate surf community. I was a jock that hung out with like the surfer. I was pretty much Johnny Utah and Point Break. It wasn't a surfer give me two yeah, but I can hang out with them. I hung out them, hung out the skate park, and I remember when Tony Hawk pulled that nine hundred in uh San Francisco something like that. And then also Travis Pastrana did a backflip into the bay and got fined Hella money because he dropped the dirt bike in there. That would be sick. I mean, there's we We are definitely gonna get up in that business. John John Florence, me and him communicated a bunch over a CLS when he tour his a cl Shout out John John. Love watching his videos and his documentaries. The Stude's so talented, but he's insane them surfboard. But yeah, we gotta definitely get We got to get the surf community or the extreme community in there.
Speaker 4: Got to got to maybe Mark cut Back Davis or Bob Jungle, Dea Girard, you know those.
Speaker 2: Guys, Bubba Stewart Legends, Bubba Stewart.
Speaker 7: This is not Yeah, we've been Honestly, the nine hundred has been in our like top ten.
Speaker 2: Tony with Tony Hawk incredible.
Speaker 3: We're flirting with Sean White. I think there's scheduling stuff.
Speaker 2: Would love.
Speaker 3: We've ben talk a lot about Kelly Slaton. We're not gonna say why, but yeah, one this would be really fun.
Speaker 4: We've been ranking Coole as bald guys. That's where Kelly keeps coming up. He's number one.
Speaker 2: Bruce Willis is pretty up there.
Speaker 4: He's up there too.
Speaker 2: We love you, Bruce. Maybe it's a chopper. Who's that? It says, dead baby? What a game and thanks again to Matt. That was a fun episode. That's been another episode of Games with Names. Subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, wherever you listen to your podcast, comment a game you want us to do and remember great and review remember fall of Games with Names on YouTube, Instagram, x TikTok and snapchat. Leave a message on the hotline bling at four two four two nine one two two nine zero. We will see you guys next week. Games with Names is the production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.