Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this episode of Minute Trend Wants to Buy TikTok. Oh Man forgot Steve manouch Trend.
Speaker 2: I like, I still just think about when his wife dressed like Cruela Deville thought shit was wild man when they're printing evil esthetic like the long gloves, wasn't she wearing like what were they both wearing?
Speaker 1: Glove holding like she was smilingly.
Speaker 2: Elbow high like leather sleeves like lebron or something like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So, anyways, we're just getting more information on the TikTok you know, the bill that passed the House to force the sale of TikTok or to ban TikTok. One thing we got new information on is just you know, well, on the one hand, it was like, wait, so Trump reversed and now opposing the ban on TikTok that I had assumed that was like him just being a populist and recognizing that this was an absolute loser. But turns out it's also aligned with his business interests because he was the first person to like try to ban TikTok, and that was because one of his biggest donors at the time was the Oracle CEO who benefited from pressure being put on TikTok, and TikTok ultimately used Oracle as their primary cloud provider in the US, and now one of his biggest donors has a big ownership stake in TikTok's parent company. So this would be almost so predictable as to be not worth mentioning, but for the fact that it ties into the larger concerns about Trump's desperation for cash at this point, Like, I feel like that's going to be a continuing story. I'm sure journalists are like keeping tabs on all the money going into his campaign, you know, his Saudi relationships. I feel like it's gonna be weird. It's gonna it's gonna get weird.
Speaker 2: I mean yeah, it's it's already weird. It's yeah, and it's just it's just more like out in the open. But it's interesting though too because despite despite Papa Trump saying like I'm I'm against it. Yeah, Like the Republicans are like, nah, sorry that this one's already out, so we're we're voting for it. And like many people were like, oh, that's interesting, Like maybe they thought him coming out would maybe change how the votes came in, but they didn't, So I don't know, there's just maybe there's a bit of there's clearly a difference in opinion there that maybe he can't even Trump can't overcome the fear of of China as as sort of painting that as the threat rather than because at the end of the day, like as we were saying in the episode that came out today, it's like the only the donor part is one of it, and the other is like he also doesn't want any world where Marcus Zuckerberg could also own it too. So yeah, there's many, so many angles in here, so many angles, so many angles.
Speaker 1: It is just interesting that he has gone from you know, when he launched his original political career, his central claim was I'm so rich, I don't need any donations, and that's how you know I'm not bought. And now he may be the most vulnerable to wealthy donors that we've ever had, like oh yeah, politics, let alone like running for president as a major party candidate.
Speaker 2: And at least in this part right where like the money is conditioned on him saying something out loud, because once he's in office, I doubt he's going to be like no, you're right. I told you I would do that, So I owe you, I owe you my loyalty now.
Speaker 1: And then, just more broadly, the evil of TikTok does not extend to you know what people who want to buy it might think of it, Yeah, because yeah they you know, Steve Minuchin has announced that he's interested in buying it. He is the former Treasury secretary, and he told an interviewer that he's putting together an investor group to buy TikTok. Yeah, which, yeah, you know, like Jason said on today's show, it's highly unlikely that a band could be easily enacted like this is just so transparent, like yeah, like they vote on this and then the next day, all these like capitalistic like predators are just like circling the blood in the water and being like yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I'll buy it. Yeah yeah, buy it. Real nice.
Speaker 2: I'll have the kids saying they want a six day work week. Watch how easy I can make it. That's how TikTok works, right, It's just you put it in there and then it makes the kids say a thing. Yeah huh, it's that easy. So you have no idea how people that are younger than gen x are experiencing the Earth and how and how they perceive what their own values are. It's the Tiktoks.
Speaker 1: And if you want someone to buy up the app that people have security concerns over, who better than Steve Minuchin, a guy who headed up a bank that was accused of widespread misconduct that included illegally backdating documents in order to game foreclosure auctions concerns like the right guy, He's the guy for the job. Also throwing his hat in the ring shark tanks, Kevin O'Leary shut up also said he would buy TikTok mister wonderful, mister incredible, wonderful, promising that he will quote close the Chinese back doors in the code. Quick reminder, this man is not a computer scientist, but he is one of the dumbest people to ever attempt to play Jeopardy. So is just less than sub zero score at the end. And like some of the answers where.
Speaker 2: Like like usually.
Speaker 1: When someone answers something in Jeopardy, I know how they thought they were, like what they how they were approaching the question. But your answers, my man, are.
Speaker 2: Honestly the sinophobia that is coming out of like DC. It's just so constant. It's like, you guys, shut up, like this, figure out a new way to create some other like creator of all that ails you, rather than actually looking at like it's this, it's it's the country you're running right now. It's not the apps, And it's so much easier then just be like, well, you know, it's it's it's it's it's it's China. It's those companies that are different. And we even said this in an episode today. It's like, well, if you're concerned about privacy, what about all the American fucking companies. That's right, it's horseshit. But anyway, here they are, here, they are, mister wonderful today shoot off at the mouth.
Speaker 1: There is a Canadian. Yeah, he's Canadian as fuck, bro.
Speaker 2: And he's like, it'll be an American company. It's like, dude, just just go away, go.
Speaker 1: Away, going dude, so Canadian. He commits vehicular homicide on lakes with boats allegedly. All right, hype luxury culture. You know me, mister hype beast, mister up on the latest trends.
Speaker 2: I mean you were in your little Metajen sunset threes.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean, I do love those shoes. That's the one place that I do pay attention to the latest. What's all your feet and greatest, but just writ large. You know, we we talked about the Stanley cups and now uh there there are Trader Joe's tote bags, which I'm very familiar with, but I believe I have one.
Speaker 2: Most of the navy blue one. Yeah, the navy blue straps.
Speaker 1: But now we got we got them going on like being sold for one hundred to five hundred dollars on the internet.
Speaker 2: This isn't the this is the mini tote. Okay, what you have is a regular tote.
Speaker 1: Regular so it's regular tote, but small. It's a tiny tote bag, so massfunctional more sure, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think it's more baller because it costs a hundred bucks or between one hundred and five hundred on the internet. I mean that doesn't mean people are paying for it, just means people think people will pay five hundred dollars for it. The ship retails for three dollars but has completely like apparently there are nowhere to be found. I'm gonna go maybe I'm gonna go stop by to see if I can grab a couple and maybe they'll just laugh at me. They're like, you fucking loser. You think it a fucking TJMT right now, tj mintote, get the fuck out of here. But yeah, it is. It is like the new thing. And I'm just like, as we keep seeing like these viral trends with the most like mundane objects, you know, like steal cup or canvas bag, yeah, I'm like what I'm like, I get that. Clearly it's the Internet, right, because like that's accelerating these cycles. People like, oh my god, this is the new thing, and then it kind of dies off. But like as we get away from like luxury items, I wonder it's just if it's truly because like the thing that about Stanley cups or these traders Joe's bags is that they're merely just more actually attainable, you know what I mean. Like most people can't get their hands on a fucking burke in or take a private jet to the say shells, but many people can cop an insulated vacuum vacuum cup or whatever the technology is for that thing, for the Stanley cup or canvas bag, And so we're just I think maybe it's like a rejection of sort of like these luxury brands and luxury items, and then we're now just being like, noah, so shit, that's attainable now as well's hot because fuck that other stuff that I'm dollars.
Speaker 1: Right exactly, yeah exactly, it's like, because this thing should be attainable. I've seen them before. In this case, I have one that's just a like a bigger version of the thing that everybody wants to get. The kids will.
Speaker 2: Laugh at you full if you pull up with a fucking oh my god and an fs T full size tote.
Speaker 1: Full sized tote, full sized Trader Joe's tote, but like with little tiny sunglasses on, and like you can tell from my energy that I think I've got like a cool thing on me.
Speaker 2: You're like holding it like this on your farm. You're like, hey, it was good. Yeah, anyway, y'all want to home cigarettes later They're like, what O my way? But yeah, I don't know. I mean like this is a I don't know. I feel like at this tick, like, at this rate we're going the next must have item is probably gonna be like a pen or pencil.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I don't mind that, Like snap bracelet, you know, this is pog snap bracelets, like just all dumb shit that Like that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Popular nineties it was toys, right, and then when we got the last twenty years though, have been just dominated by like hyped brand goods, you know what I mean, and luxury like that was a shit that you had to have, Like did you have Like I remember in the early days of like uh, you know, after the bling bling era of hip hop in the nineties and getting more into like the Pharrell Kanye West sort of fashion thing, people like, oh you got Louis belt, you got this other thing or whatever, and now or it's supreme or other shit like that, and now we're just like you got that.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's just it's something peculiar to our specific age cohort, and as we get older, like we're we've just moved on to the whackest shit possible. Trader Joe's Tope pegs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, like the still thy.
Speaker 1: Cups are definitely a younger a younger man's game.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, But I mean I think at the end of the day, it's just it's just like what it costs is probably the biggest thing. Because more people now are just sort of like less and less impressed by being like, oh cool, you have a seventy thousand dollars whatever. Yeah, but I will get in line for a three dollars piece of canvas, which I also was reading. Even though they're like, you know, marketed to us as sustainable, like they're actually becoming like an environmental issue because there's such a bit total proliferation of canvas totes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 2: Anyway, so we'll see, man, But let us know what's the new hip thing. Is it a pen? Is it a Honestly, I don't even know, like a kind of notebook.
Speaker 1: Hey, guy who took over as CEO of Stanley after being the CEO of or the CMO of Crocs, let us know what the next thing is that you're going to take over and make virals so that we can buy up. We know you're probably ze Gang, so just hit us up.
Speaker 2: Bro, or could you imagine it's like bygune thing. It's like, yo, these are like those old school AOL CD ROMs that you used to do to install AOL on your computer, or like net zero when they had.
Speaker 1: All right, let's take a quick break. We'll be right back and we're back. And this weekend is Saint Patti's Day. Yeah, Saint Patty's Day. On a weekend rip to the city of Chicago and the City of New York.
Speaker 2: I've never been in those either of those municipalities on the glorious Day. I mean, I I've heard tell of how green it is green, Yes, the river at least in Chicago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's drunk, It's very drunk. But it's also going to be very v green at the White House because Joe Biden has made his Irish heritage a big part of his identity. He's repeatedly touted his Irish ancestors and even quoted the great Irish poet Bono in his speeches, which I didn't realize he did that. That gives me douche chills. But his celebrations of the White House are a tradition, and they haven't always gone well. In twenty ten, he was the vice president, obviously, and he suggested that the Irish Prime Minister's mother was dead before realizing that she wasn't he likes.
Speaker 2: It these days.
Speaker 1: He usually likes to bring people back from the dead, but that back then he was pre killing people. That was and that was back when he was a sprightly sixty eight years old. This year, Biden will host Ireland's t shach Leo Verador. Didn't I looked up the pronunciation of t Shah and I am nailing it, but did not look up Leo's last names pronunciation that, So we're gonna call him.
Speaker 2: You should know.
Speaker 1: I know, I'm fucking it up.
Speaker 2: Tap into your Irish roots, man, hey man, why don't you go listen to some Irish poet bono real quick and come back?
Speaker 1: But oh soutarse yeah mm hmm. So international. So they'll have an Oval Office meeting followed by Saint Patty's Day celebration. Unfortunately for this going real smoothly for Joey b Ireland is one of the few outliers in the West that is actually critical of Israel and concerned for the lives of Palestinians.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean what are they thinking? I mean there was even like the at the icy at the ICJ one of the like lawyers was from Ireland who gave like really like moving uh not testimony or whatever like when they were speaking at the trial. And yeah, I mean, like there's been sanctions that the Irish government has put on the Israeli government. They've said, like the US cannot use Irish airspace to fly weapons there. They've tried to do whatever they could to make it clear like where they stand. And yeah, you know, they've actually like a ceasefire, not like one of those ones that just goes for six weeks or six days or six hours.
Speaker 1: A pause fire.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Irish politicians has specifically been calling out Biden for his role in aiding Israel. One lawmaker addressing the European Parliament referred to him as butcher Biden. And yeah, I mean they've been pretty consistent, including Varitker, you know, just a week after October seventh, specifically, you know, became one of the few European officials saying Israel doesn't have the right to do wrong just because horrible wrong have been done to them and people.
Speaker 2: What did in Irish? What did the Irish know about occupation or yeah, chill alone, as I've not read their history, but I don't Maybe there's nothing there that would that would create some kind of synergy, but yeah, there may be.
Speaker 1: The only Irish history I know is that they're mainly a tax shelter for cool companies like Apple, So I feel like they should just be cool and friendly and in that money and those cool relationships with Apple.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we will see how Joe Biden, I mean, like you know, they apparently they'll be talks of a ceasefire at least to a lobby for one while he's talking to Joe Biden. But like now, I mean, like now Chuck Schumer is even saying like it's it's starting to get more mainstream that now they're doing the thing that's like it's not that like we disagree with what Israel's doing, it's just that NETS and Yahoo's bad.
Speaker 1: Well, that does seem to me like this opportunity, like they do have a far right government in power like that would seem to be a way to get people like the sort of like center left like mainstream Democrats message it to them is like they have a fucking far right, yeah, government but in power.
Speaker 2: Like but I think that just but that just shows like the what the sway is of like lobbying efforts from like the Israeli government has on the discourse here. It's not it will never be that the Israeli government as a whole or as a nation or whatever that there's there's wrongdoing. It's like, okay, let's try and go for the micro And it's true. I mean, obviously net and Yahoo is the one at the wheel and his coalition government is the one that's making all of this possible. But like now, it's like interesting they went from not saying anything to now being like, okay, yeah, he's actually bad for regional peace. He's actually also bad for the peace that if Israel wants any kind of security in the region, he's also bad for that, but still falling short of calling for an actual ceasefire sea fire, but hey.
Speaker 1: It's we are calling for a ceasefire or at least.
Speaker 2: Six months eventually.
Speaker 1: Have they tried just saying it under a cough?
Speaker 2: Though?
Speaker 1: I feel like that because Joe Biden does cough pretty frequently or like here's throat, so I feel like it would just be more it might go more smoothly. I'm sure his consultants have like suggested that, but you know, try and hide the qualifying statement under like something fun like a cough that people will you know, expect from you because you seem to be dissolving before our very eyes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's interesting to hear like people from like there's like the Northern Ireland Party isn't sending any representatives to meet Biden because when I've said quote, I could not rub shoulders, drink guinness and have the crack while the horrifying impacts of the brutal war and god that continue. It would be the very opposite of solidarity with people on the brink of destruction.
Speaker 1: Yep. Finally parents are folding their babies.
Speaker 2: I wasn't sure what this meant. I'm like, wait, are they fist fight like they got your folding up? Like you got folded up like a fucking well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean we did, like my seven year old's home from school sick today and kept making noise and you did tell me to go fold that motherfucker up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you'll fold his ass full, not like that I ben to put in a car seat. Apparently this is like there's some viral TikTok video about people like you gotta fold your babies, and I'm like, what the fuck is that to someone with a baby, And it's apparently it's just about like anyone who's in.
Speaker 1: The overhead storage ben on the air right right.
Speaker 2: Exactly, But like for anyone to try to put a baby in a car seat. There's like a moment where they realize in a car seat and they just flatten their body out, like like I don't want to be in a motherfucker car seat. And so what they're saying is the trick here isn't to lay your kid in like just to flop them in. It's to sort of get get a little bit of bend, get those knees to the chest a little bit, and then put that prefolded child in the car seat to make the I guess securing of the car seat easier.
Speaker 1: Ye, arm bar is really helpful to just like get them to go where you want to want them to go. Yeah, yes, this feels weird, doesn't It doesn't it feel like you're putting your baby in a wrestling hold.
Speaker 2: I mean like when you when you actually look at like the picture, it just it just makes more sense. You're just basically being like, just emphasize the body shape when you put them in. It's like I gotta fold this fucker in half type shit. It's just more like just enter the put the child in at an angle that is more conducive to Yeah, and.
Speaker 1: I also saw a recent parenting hack that was like, don't play with your children, because then they're just gonna keep coming back and asking you to play with them. I have a life today because I've consistently always let them know I'm not the one to play with which, wow, you know, you know, uh, that's.
Speaker 2: Not misunderstood that one too, Huh. I ain't the one to play with. But man, I took that as never play with my kids.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, that's that's that's that's a I don't know.
Speaker 1: But I mean, you know, so they're like and that allows me to be rested when it comes to the things that I do like to do with and for my child. So I think all things, I don't think there's one size fits all, but if there is a one size fits all situation, make sure to fold them to avoid wrinkles. When's Easter? When's Easter?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I was just thinking about that. We're talking about when's Easter? Oh the thirty first? Okay, wow?
Speaker 1: Yeah, a couple of weeks, A couple of weeks, all right?
Speaker 2: Well those are we out of nowhere? All right? Well?
Speaker 1: Thore are some of those things that are trending on this Thursday, March fourteenth, We are back tomorrow with the whole ass episode of the show. Until then, be kind to each other, be kind to yourself, get the vaccine, get your flu shot, don't do nothing about white supremacy, and we will talk to y'all tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Bye bye,