Speaker 1: Hey, guys, welcome to I've never said this before with me, Tommy di Dario. This episode is perhaps one of my favorite conversations that I've ever had on my show because it is so real and raw and she is so vulnerable. That she I'm referring to is the amazing and brilliant Bethany Joy Lenz, who is my guest today and you know when you love her From her starring role as Haley James Scott in the fan favorite series of One Tree Hill, her character is beloved, and Joy and her co star James Lafferty went on to play one of the most popular TV couples in pop culture history. But while Joy was in one of the most popular TV shows in the world, she was also getting more and more involved with a very dangerous cult. Her new memoir, Jennerfer Vampires is out right now and it chronicles her spending a decade in a cult and her quest to break free. Publicly, she was the girl that people adored from One Tree Hill, rising to the heights of international fame, but privately, she felt like she was falling deeper and deeper into a cult that she couldn't break free from, until one day she had enough. I thank Joy for being so open and honest with me in this conversation. And I truly believe she is going to help so many people by sharing her story. So let's see if we can get Joy to say something that she has never said before. Joy, how you doing today?
Speaker 2: Good?
Speaker 1: How are you? I am so fantastic. Thank you for joining the show. I'm so excited to have you, especially now that I know you were from New Jersey. I love a Jersey connection.
Speaker 2: I do too. Jersey people always seem to find each other somehow. I feel like it happens all the time. I'm in the grocery store and a parking lot and like, hmmm, you're Jersey, aren't you. I hear that accent.
Speaker 1: That's right, We're good people. We're good people. Won't welcome to the show. I am so excited to talk to you because we have quite a lot to dive into. I have your book right next to me. I devour this, like I wrote you on Instagram. I DMD you because I was so just captivated by your story and enthralled by your story. And I have to be like super honest for a minute with you and tell you that before hearing about your story. Myself, like many people, probably kind of had this misconception about people that get involved in cults, and you automatically think, well, how like, I could never allow that to happen to me, and they didn't see warning signs, And admittedly and embarrassingly, that's kind of what I would think when I would watch documentaries or read stories. And I'm somebody who's so open minded and compassionate, but that did kind of cross my mind. Then I read your memoir and the way you lay it out, it is a must read for anyone who is going through any sort of abusive relationship, whether that's psychological and emotional, physical, and for anyone who has to witness that from afar right. So, I think it's such an important part of your life that you open up about, and I'm just so thrilled that it's going to be out there. So, first, thank you. Let me check in on you, because you've been doing a lot of press. You're on the cover of People magazine, Your story and your business is out there. So how are you feeling with this all out?
Speaker 2: Thank you for everything you've said. I really appreciate that. Thank you, and thank you for asking that I'm taking it a day at a time. There are days when it feels overwhelming. I feel like I am prone to I'm someone who's just prone to think that there's somebody mad at me at all times, Like somewhere out there, someone's mad at me. I've heard someone's feelings. I forgot to call somebody back, I said the wrong thing. I always live with that anxiety, and it's a constant thing. So to put so much of myself out there and know that I really did my best to respect everyone involved and to share my truth because I think it'll really help people, there is a huge element that I'm living with of just like, oh god, I really hope that this is all okay, and I really hope I didn't hurt anybody, and I really hope that that it's received well. And So to give you a really long winded answer, Tommy, I'm doing okay. I'm taking it a day at a time, and I'm having a great day today, and I'm really happy to be here talking with you.
Speaker 1: Oh good, we love a great day. And I totally could understand how you're feeling. All of those things. You kind of sum up this entire chapter of your life through a brilliant line. I believe you said this to Katherine McPhee at a party and you said Bible study went sideways. I read that and was like, oh my god, I couldn't love this girl more.
Speaker 2: So, it's so funny that you pick that out.
Speaker 1: I love it, Yes, I did. I'm very quirky and weird and I love a good sense of here mercyll I loved that so much. So before we dive into everything, I guess, talk to me about the moment before you join that Bible study to being fully ingrained into that cult, like walking through real quick, how that all happened?
Speaker 2: Okay. The truncated version is I grew up in a very normal Western society, charismatic Christian community, non denominational culturally Christian. I was used to Bible studies on Wednesday nights or Sunday nights, or It was just a way of people in a faith community connecting, keeping their community close, deepening their relationships to each other and to God. It's pretty normal in pretty much every faith community that I know of, in and out of Christianity. Every religion that I know has some version of this, and so that seemed very normal to me when I moved to LA and I was feeling lonely because I had left New York City and I didn't really know anybody and was just trying to make friends. And I got invited to this home group Bible study that sounded like every other one that I'd ever been to, And to be fair, when it started, I think it was. I think it was all pretty normal, just young professionals with a lot in common creatively, with a lot in common in our faith, and we lived in the same area and just wanted to get together and get to know each other. And then it took about a year, well actually I was in it for about six months, six to eight months maybe before a pastor from another state was invited to come speak at the group, and then slowly began kind of infiltrating and becoming a just a regular at the group. He would fly in from out of state, and he didn't have a church at the time. He had been well you'll have to read the book to find out. I found out later why he didn't have a church anymore. But nevertheless, we saw him as an older, wiser man who was an ordained past stir and somebody who could really give us some wisdom that we as, recognizing that we were young and still inexperienced in many ways, maybe needed some guidance. Unfortunately we just chose the wrong person.
Speaker 1: That sets it up very well. And you mentioned being lonely when you got out to LA. I feel the loneliness every time I go to lam in New Yorker. I've lived here my whole life, and I feel that. I always say it's my husband when I come back, like, how was your trip good? But God, I always feel a little lonely here. Yeah, you felt that when you got out there. You also were starting to compare yourself to some other actors in the business and maybe weren't feeling as attractive as they were, as pretty as they were. And you even said that quote, I was an alley cat still cleaning dumpster lettuce out of my pause, which is hysterical but also kind of heartbreaking. It's like, no, no, girl, you have all the same value. But I understand how comparison syndrome works. I've been there too. So would you say loneliness was a driving force for you to I don't want to say have blinders on to what was going on with the Bible study turn cult, but to keep going with it all.
Speaker 2: For sure, I was so desperate to be seen. I'm so desperate for community. I'd been wanting that my whole life. I was an only child. My parents were wonderful people that had a lot of their own tumultuous issues going on, and I isolated myself. I got really used to my own company, which is a gift in some ways, but I also just it was hard for me to make friends because we moved around a lot, and then I was in the theater, and that you know, as a theater person, you make close friends for three months and then you move on to a new group of friends. So there was this longing for consistency that I just had a really hard time finding a cure for. And when I became a part of this group, when I started connecting with these people, it felt like it was going so much deeper than just the sort of surface relationships that you have when you know that you're going to be moving on. And I think we all have this need for some spot in our lives. There are holes that need to be filled based on our rearing, based on relationships that we've had when we were young. There's these sort of very Freudian basic needs that if they're not all met, we look to fill them, and we need them so badly to be filled that we're willing to make excuses for things that maybe are red flags because we just really really want to feel the thing that's going to make us feel better in the moment. Does that make sense or was that? No?
Speaker 1: That absolutely makes sense. I think it's easy to ignore red flags when you want to believe so badly that something is so true. What was one of those early red flags you think you maybe missed?
Speaker 2: Hmmm, well, now, I mean, gosh, in retrospect, I can I can certainly see that anyone, anyone who is just so immediately intimate like it just dives right in with you. I'm not talking about somebody who's willing to have an emotional conversation, or somebody who's willing to dive in deep in terms of like philosophy, or just being willing to be a friend to a stranger and connect. I'm talking about somebody who's willing to dive deep into intimacy in friendship or romantic relationship on a consistent basis without having really built trust. Is a red flag you just it's that's codependence or narcissism, attempting to manipulate you. I just don't think there's any way around it.
Speaker 1: So I have I have.
Speaker 2: Big red flags at about people who are just like super they just want to go in and get really close, really fast. I'm like, sum's up, something's up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, And that's that's good intuition. I mean, I've I've dealt with that myself, and you don't want to go through life cold. But it's good to have a little bit of a perceptive eye, you know. So I think I think nothing's wrong with that. And like you said, this group, their basis was manipulation and isolation, and you know, my God like wanting to isolate you from friends and families so that you're so co dependent on only them and that they are the only group of people in your life, which it's manipulation. One oh one. So do you remember one of the first times where you felt like that happened, where you really felt like you were starting to isolate away from the people in your former life to blend more with these people.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think the thing is that I didn't not really notice it. Then I can tell you what it was now, but it's still hard to see back then. But yeah, I remember. There's a character in my book called Camille. She's a British actress that I was friends with in New York and she also moved out to LA and I invited her to come to the group and start hanging out. So she spent some time with us there, and she told us me and my dad actually later in conversation that she was to remember being at a meeting with us, one of the group meetings, where I was told that I really shouldn't talk to my dad anymore. And when she said that, it triggered this memory. I was like, oh, my gosh, I do remember. I don't remember being explicitly told that, but it's wild that that's what she heard and she could see it, and she, as you'll read in the book, she was able to extract herself before things got too bad. But what I heard in that moment was people looking out for me, protecting me, trying to help me see patterns of codepen in my family, and telling me you should be careful, you should have boundaries, and your dad's not a bad person. He just is not serving you. He's not helping you right now in your life, and you're not obligated to maintain a relationship with someone just because they're blood related to you. Like, what's so crazy about it is in a different context, if someone is genuinely abusive, if someone is harmful to you in some way, I don't believe that you're obligated to have a relationship with that person because of any reason. But because it was used in this context when there was no abuse, there was no problem. All he was doing was just saying, I disagree with this group. I disagree with what you say you believe. I don't think this is right. I think they're trying to harm you. Disagreement equaled, you are now other. You have to be kind of caricaturized into shrunk down into just a person who disagrees with the group. You're dehumanized. All of the things about you, your fact that you've raised this child, the fact that you have been her father, have loved her, have invested in her life, none of those things matter. Your character, the upstanding person that you are, None of those things matter because of this one critical thing, which is that you disagree, which is I think something we see a lot these days but that's another conversation, so you see how. But so Camille heard it and she was like, what is going on? They're telling you to stop talking to your parents, And I heard people loving on me and trying to protect me from someone in my life who maybe is harmful.
Speaker 1: And it ended up ultimately working. I mean, you were strange from your parents for quite a long time, and your dad was definitely the more vocal one. And there's such a badass mo and I don't feel like this ruins anything, so I'm going to share it at the end where eventually, when you come out of it, he had a folder of all of his findings and he was just waiting for that moment to be like I got to let's go, babe. And you know, but during the height of the cult for you, you didn't have that relationship with them, and that's what they wanted, right. They wanted to keep it all all in house, and literally in house in Idaho and their compound. And you ended up, yeah, marrying the leader's son, and it was all very you know, incestual. It was all like these people, you will not stray.
Speaker 2: It's like a group marriage almost, and that's what when the word covenant started coming up, you know, years later, probably five six years in was like this idea of it's not just a church, like, this is a covenant. This is a which is a word used in the Bible. I don't know if it was used in other ways in society at that time. I'm sure it was. But the idea is this like unbreakable binding contract that this group of people has decided we're going to do life together. So you know, you're safe to be completely vulnerable, completely raw and real, show all the ugly sides of yourself because no one's going to leave. It's like a guarantee that no one will leave you, which in some utopian dream sounds nice but in reality it's hell.
Speaker 1: Now. Not everything that happened during that period was terrible. One being you got a major show that changed the course of your entire life as an actress. You know, a little show called One Tree Hill. I don't know if anyone's ever heard about it, but you booked that and I think people are surprised to know that for all nine seasons, ten years of your life that you were a part of that show. You were involved with this group, and yeah, started off not as intense as where you were in season two or three of the show. But it was a part of your life, So how are you able to do that show and kind of get away from the group at that phase where they didn't feel like, oh my god, we're losing control over her because she's going to be gone now for eight months of the year.
Speaker 2: Money money, money, They were making money off of me. Of course they were happy to have me go out and be a part of this. It's like, yeah, let's support Joy while she's out there. Let's make it work. However, we got to do it, they said. I didn't write about this in the book because we just there wasn't space for everything. But I had a minder sent to live with me while I was out there for several of the seasons from the group. And now that's not what she was called. It was just my friend or my assistant, or you know, she's There were various ways that the relationship changed. But she was living with me while I was married and my husband was living back at home in the in the Big House, or well, in the house that I had bought. But I think he'd probably spent most of his time at the Big House and she was living with me to kind of keep an eye on me and make sure that I was I don't know what, but she was certainly reporting back to them. So I think that they and when I say they, by the way, I mean the leadership in this group, because the majority of the people that were on the lower sort of the kids of the group, I would say, in our twenties, they've all got their own version of my story, do you know what I mean? I say that they've got their own version of their story, but like of what happened to them the way that I do of what happened to me, And some of them were encouraged to stay at their jobs because they had a more high paying job and because they were quote unquote tithing to the group, that money was valuable to the leadership. So I think that's really how it happened. They just they kept me tied in because the money, but they wanted me to to day a part of one streil for that reason.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And I think that's an important clarification to make because some people might think, oh, how could that be, how could you be allowed to do that? But it really was a form of control because they were taking your money, which we're going to get to in a bit. And the big house that you just mentioned for everybody listening who hasn't read the book yet, that means the compound in Idaho that the yeah, you know leaders ran that everybody lived in.
Speaker 2: It's so weird when I hear that word compound, because I'm like, I think of compounds as these sort of uh I guess I think of a compound as a place that is has multiple homes all on the same like a you know, thirty acres and it's multiple homes and they've got a little an annex and all of the little things. This really just was a giant house, and other people in the group lived in the neighborhood. But it wasn't like an actual nobody bought land and had everyone move on to the land, and like we weren't farming, we weren't doing which some people do and those are legitimate. I mean, it's the same kind of it's the same kind of thing that I think could have happened to our group if it hadn't fallen apart after ten years. But those other groups just started in the same way. I don't mean to be rambling, sorry, but the big house. It was like, it was just this giant house. At the end of We'll Call to Sac, I wonder what the neighbors thought.
Speaker 1: So we're going for a night walk. What's going on in there?
Speaker 2: I never met any of the neighbors in that entire neighborhood, and the houses were not far away from each other. In those whole ten years. I never met a neighbor.
Speaker 1: Wow. Smart Anyway, well it tracks. I mean, honestly, it tracts because you weren't encouraged to go be social and you know, you wanted to stay within the group. So it makes sense. So okay, so you went off to do One Tree Hill. You were making money, which meant the cult was making money. But out of that came a brilliant character and a brilliant performance and a role that means so much to so many people. I mean, you will forever be part of one of the most iconic couples in all of television in the history of pop culture, which must feel pretty good. So when you think, wow, that relationship, what makes you smile?
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. I mean James, he's just such an upstanding human and he's so creative, he's I mean, he left Montreal and started his own show. Everybody's doing great and it's hilarious. And he's always really soulful and thoughtful and such an interesting person. And I'm just so grateful that I got the opportunity to work with him when he was just a baby. He was seventeen when he started. He was the youngest of all of us. And to just be around someone who came from a really strong family and a really loving environment, and he was so professional. I mean, I had probably been in the business a little longer than him, but he was he was more professional than Member. One time he walked out of his trailer. It's just like in season one, he walked out of his trailer holding his wardrobe on hangers and at the end of the day, and I was like, what are you what are you doing. He's like, I'm just taking my clothes back to wardrobe. And I'm thinking, oh my god, I just throw my clothes on the floor of my trailer. Nobody ever told me that that's not what I'm supposed to do. It's like the only child syndrome of just like throw your clothes on the floor and go to school, Like nobody ever told me not to do that, so I just never learned that's amazing, isn't that so crazy? And from then I just started hanging my clothes up and sometimes I would take them back depending on what the day was. But like I learned from this. He was a young kid at the time, and I learned so much from him, and we really had a great time together. So I think when I look back on Nathan and Haley, what makes me happy is thinking about the time that he and I actually got to spend together. He's a great person.
Speaker 1: Were you able to keep in touch over the years or with everything that happened it just made it difficult.
Speaker 2: Oh, we stayed in touch. I mean we live really different lives. We're in different places, and it's like every job that every actor has, you get really close while you're on set, and then once the job is over, you move on and you just get close to different people. It's kind of the nature, the necessary nature of the job, I think. But yes, and we see each other conventions all the time, and we've always we've always just had a great rapport.
Speaker 1: Like I said, those scenes iconic, epic, the kissing and the rain, I mean, all of it.
Speaker 2: I know it's so romantic.
Speaker 1: All of it.
Speaker 2: The thing is that it's like, you don't know how funny it is because we're it's actually a hose with holes in it, like strapped to a sea stand in the air, and it's freezing cold water and it's pelting down and we're trying to keep our eyes open, you know. But all of those things. To go through that kind of stuff with another person is always just bonding and fun.
Speaker 1: You also write about one of your biggest regrets from your time on One Tree Hill, and you talked about this in the memoir. It's with Sophia Bush, and you said you were going through your own insecurities at the time. She was probably going through some things of her own at the time, but that you really wish quote I could go back and time to her trailer and give her a really big hug. Yeah, talk to me about that.
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't know what else sort is to say. I mean, I I agonized over how exactly to write that out, because I have such a deep well of emotions around her and around the cast members that I was able to get really close with at that time in spite of the fact that I was in this environment in my personal life, there were people that always made an effort and she was one of them. And so I just have this. I mean, like I said, my heart just always turns into a bear hug when I think of her, like I just want to I just want to give her a hug. And I wish that I had been older in my like I wish I had known what I know now to be able to just sometimes the people that feel prickly in your life are actually the people that just need a big hug. I know I needed a big hug. Yeah, and I think maybe she did too, and I so, yeah, do you think.
Speaker 1: You'll ever have that conversation one day? Do you hope to just kind of talking about everything you both were going through.
Speaker 2: Yeah, We've had many conversations, and I think we'll probably continue to as the years go on. There's so many things that just constantly evolve. But I don't know if I've ever actually told her that, So hopefully she'll appreciate.
Speaker 1: That well, I would think. So it's a very interesting to say, for sure. Yeah, Joy, there are so many things swirling about about a reboot right, and everybody lives in of nostalgia and it's so wild to me that you created something that literally like helped people have joy, you know, pun intended in their own lives when you were going through something so wild in your life. You let this relationship, this character, this freedom, this joy, this piece of pop culture with people that they still talk about it. They still are like, oh my god, we rewatch it over and over and over again. We're now showing our teenagers we want to reboot. So there's a lot being said about is a reboot happening, is it not happening. You've expressed you would be down to do it should that opportunity come about, and depending on what that looks like, have there been any other conversations about that, and do you really think this could happen because a lot of people are holding on to hope.
Speaker 2: Oh it's so sweet. I know. I hear both sides of it. Like some people are like, no, just leave it alone. It's perfect as it is, and then some people are frothing at the bit like please please give us more, which I love. I just love either way how passionate fans are about what they went through with us and how they feel about the future. But in terms of actual information, I don't have anything new. There's just been. I just I don't know what stage it's in. I don't know who's really involved. I don't know almost anything about it, so we just have to wait. Sorry. I wish I had a better answer for you.
Speaker 1: That's all right, and life were worth the wait, So yes, I'm gladly going to wait on that one. But I'm so curious kind of jumping off of that and with what you've gone through and the PTSD of maybe what you experienced, I would imagine there was some level of that in your healing journey as Yeah, do you ever worry like if a reboot came around, would I have a seat at the table or would I not be invited because of what I went through and what people remembered from my time on the show, Like does your mind go there that you have to snap it out of that?
Speaker 2: No, because everyone was so generous. I think that was one of the biggest surprises when I left the group, and you know, I left after I had we had wrapped in Wilmington, so I didn't go back to North Carolina, And there are sometimes I wish I had left a little bit sooner so that I could have gone back and really invested in those relationships in a new and meaningful way, but that just wasn't in the cards at the time. I feel like everyone was so kind and generous though in as I would start to leak out this information, like yeah, actually I was in a really bad situation and I got out. I was met not with people saying I told you so, but people just having big open arms and saying we're here, we love you, We see who you are in spite of all of the stuff that you were carrying. And there's good and bad parts to everybody's personality character, we're all complex humans. But to realize that people were actually able to see through a lot of the superiority complex, the stubbornness, the youth, stubborn youth that I was existing in and see like, no, she's a person that's worth having around, just a person that I still want to maintain a friendship with and invest in in spite of all those things that really blew me away. It was the most astonishing display of grace that I've felt like I didn't deserve, and there were a lot of people from the show that really gave that to me, and it kind of makes me emotional It makes me so happy. Like every time we go back and do these conventions with whether in Wilmington or Paris or wherever we get to go and all get together as a group. I wish our crew was with us too, But I have such fomo if we're not together, I'm like, where's everybody going to dinner? What's happening? I just want to know everything. I want to be a part of it. Also, I don't miss anything else. It's a wonderful group of people.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Having that grace in life is something that I think the whole world needs to have more of right now. And when you go through something like that and you realize how gentle and graceful people are with you, it really makes you look at life, I imagine, in a different perspective. So it's really cool to hear that the cast was very much like that with you. And before we move on to a part of this memoir that I am going to read back to you because it blew me away. Oh okay, yes I am. I have a very big problem in media when people try to pin people against each other. So I want to take a quick second and say, I just heard you want call your daddy you brought up the rumors, speculator, the rumors around you and Hillary. You very graciously said you're working some things out, you hope to work them out, and that's that. But now I'm seeing online there are things coming out like if there's a reboot, you might not be a part of it because of whatever that is. And I just want to put this out there because I feel like my job as an interviewer is to not encourage our behavior because it's bullshit and I don't like when women get pinned against each other. I think it's disgusting and it's gross and it gives people a bad name who are in this business. So from your perspective, like you don't believe that would be true, whatever's going on there would not affect your involvement in a potential reboot.
Speaker 2: So crazy to me, all of this. I love Hillary. I have no ill will toward her. I have no like I would never want to go back to a One Tree Hill reboot with animosity, like that's just that's not who either of us are. So yeah, and I agree with you, it's not helpful. It's not helpful, particularly because actually the irony of the fact that I am trying to tell people a story about what happens in group triangulation when other people come in and they start taking somebody's words and taking another person's words and trying to create something that's not there, and gaslighting and all of these things. And everybody is like, Okay, we love your book, but also like, can you please tell us what's happening with Hillary? Just like this is crazy to me. Do you understand that you're doing exactly what I'm talking about? This triangulation is so not helpful.
Speaker 1: This is me off. That's why I would never sit here and say, oh, tell me, I don't care, it's not my lin.
Speaker 2: I appreciate it. I appreciate that.
Speaker 1: The point is like, I don't want people running with the story that that's affecting whatever that project is. So thank you for clarity.
Speaker 2: We're going to run with things all the time.
Speaker 1: Well, this is me off. I'm a Jersey brilliant woman.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm saying. You know what I mean, come on, we're gonna have sometime great may let's talk about this all right.
Speaker 1: Well that's good to know because we're all rooting for that reboot to happen, and we all of course want you, and there's in my opinion, no reboot without you.
Speaker 2: So oh thanks.
Speaker 1: Anyway, back to the cult. That's for a transition.
Speaker 2: No, it's good. It is a good segue because what we were just talking about, you know, there's like people people getting involved in other people's relationships.
Speaker 1: So yes, yes, yes, Well the Cult took I think two million dollars from you, if not more. And there's a moment in your memoir where you're sitting in the bank and you have a really gracious teller trying to help you sort this out, and that moment comes to mind, you know, comes to fruition, and you were just kind of like, wait what and this is what you wrote. I highlighted this because it was so wait can you see.
Speaker 2: It where it's whoa, oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: Oh I'm someone that like mark books and you.
Speaker 2: Don't even know what that does to me seeing my book in someone's hands, the way that I mark up and write on books. This is a really really amazing moment.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's crazy. My husband's like, oh, I want to read it. I'm like, don't mind, mom on notes now, I'll send it one perfect okay, But this is what you said and that moment finding out that two million dollars was gone in that bank. What a waste of space. I was, a waste of talent, of time I had thrown away what little spare time I had chasing a god I was now not even sure existed, enduring years of abuse with a pathetic cult of selfish people, and living in a place where every dream I had went to die. Oh yeah, Wow, that moment for you must have been what I imagine is one of the hardest moments you've ever faced in your life.
Speaker 2: Huh Yeah, Just the depth self loathing, the realization crashing down of like, I have wasted so much time. I cannot believe that I had so much at my feet. I had so much opportunity. And I'm not saying to build myself up. I had opportunity to participate in the world, in the communities that I was in, participate in art and storytelling, to be able to learn and listen. And these key years, especially in your twenties, when you are gathering up so much around you that you're going to we're like little beavers. We're gathering all the things and we're building. We're building the dam of our character and our personality and like, who are we going to be? And I was siphoning those things off of an environment that was a mirage. It's just it was really, really devastating, and I just hated myself.
Speaker 1: Are you at a place in your life where you no longer beat yourself up for mistakes that were made in the past or for things you wish you did differently, Because that's a moment that I just read where that person really truly seems like she hated herself. And we all go through things in our lives where we might feel like that. I certainly have had my own journey specifically related to my sexualities, so we all have our things. But are you able to not beat yourself up over your experience? Now?
Speaker 2: I have fundamental neural wiring that I am trying to grow new pathways where I don't beat myself up as a default for everything. However, in terms of flogging myself for my past in this story and everything that you read and seen that I walked through, I have come to peace with almost everything in that book there is. I don't feel angry. I don't there are very few moments where I feel like I missed out on something and That's also hugely because I've found a place in my spiritual journey to be able to release the shame by talking about it, by sharing, by forgiving myself one day at a time. So there's new things all the time that I beat myself up about and have days when I'm just like, you're such a fucking idiot, Oh my god, why did you say that? Why did you do that? And I'm trying to relearn that behavioral pattern. I don't really know where it originated or why I do that, but I'm working on it. But it's not necessarily now related to that time in my past.
Speaker 1: Well that's good to hear. We're all works in progress, right, We're never going to be perfect. But to know that you're not the person in that moment anymore and you're not going to be so hard on yourself, I think is a huge step in the right direction. And also by even releasing this memoir, there's a moment towards the end of the book where what you said changed everything for me. And as I mentioned when I first met you in the beginning of this interview, being someone who maybe thought a certain way or the thought crossed my mind, not that I ever thought so deeply about it. But you know, the thoughts that I mentioned earlier to cross my mind. What you said at the end to a former friend at a party about is a woman in an abusive relationship who doesn't leave stupid And I'm paraphrasing there.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Wow.
Speaker 1: To put it in that context, in that perspective, and to equate being in a cult and dealing with the type of behavior that you were receiving as abusive, right, and abuse exists in many forms, was really this oh my god moment where I thought, holy shit, Yeah, yeah, it is the same. It is the same. You would never say that about a woman who was going through that, and why should you think that about someone going through what you went through? And I really think that sets it up in a very important and powerful way.
Speaker 2: Oh thank you, gosh, that's so great to hear that it hit you that way and came through I'm so glad. Yeah. I don't know what to say except that that's when I realized that the word cult was not admissible in court because it's not definable. The closest definition that a courtroom will accept is high demand group, which has its own sort of checklist of whether, and different judges may deem it differently, whether it was qualified, whether something qualifies as a high demand group. Some may say any church does, and some may say only the most extreme where there's physical violence happening. And so there's this very strange, undefinable space that the word cult or high demand group lives in. But one thing that I think really is definable is community abuse, community manipulation when there's a top down trickle, and that could be in a workplace, that could be in a religious environment, that could be at a gym, like there's so many different places where you could find that. But the function, because it's from top down, the function of it is the same in a romantic partnership abusive relationship because the personality disorder that causes the ripple effect is the same. So whether that personality is more attracted to controlling a group of people or more attracted to controlling one person, that's a variant, but the actual malignant narcissism is the same. And so the people who get caught up in it, whether it's a singular person caught in the partnership or a group of people, they're all singular people caught up in a version of a partnership. It's just with one person at the top and then with other people on the side. It actually, I think narcissists prey on intelligent empaths. So the chance is that you are a really intelligent person who's not stupid, who's not weak, and then got caught up in something like this are higher. If that makes sense. I kind of feel like I'm turning my sentence upside down, But it would make sense for you to be attracted to someone with a narcissistic personality. If you're an intelligent EmPATH, that doesn't make you stupid or weak or crazy. It's just is how the personality disorder works, one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: It doesn't make you stupid, weak, or crazy. Bears repeating, because we need to erase that sort of judgment period. And I think it was a really important point that you made. Now, is your relation, like with God, whatever that means to you, has that been rebuilt for you? Has it been changed? What is it?
Speaker 2: I mean, is anyone's relationship with God definable? I can say that it's the most authentic relationship with God that I've ever had because I feel so much more safe and loved. Now that I've accepted that I can't do anything to earn that love. Now I feel like, Okay, I'm safe to make mistakes. I'm because you're going to turn it into something good. It doesn't mean I'm going to run around trying to do stupid things, obviously, But I don't feel the sense of anxiety around decision making that I used to when I didn't trust myself and thought I needed somebody else to tell me how to live my life. I don't feel like I have to hit all the points on the checklist of whatever, any group, any religion, anything is telling me I need to do in order to earn my way into God's favor. I've experienced too much to believe that that's the way that it's meant to be. I don't think that works for anyone. I really don't, and I know I guess it can be kind of polarizing to say like I have some existential answer. But I've never met anybody who is really satisfied by living everything off the checklist, who really feels like they're seen and known and loved. That just feels like earning to me. So I don't have all the answers. But I do have a much more authentic relationship with God than I ever did. I feel more free And what.
Speaker 1: A beautiful feeling that must be. Yeah, Oh, I love hearing that. It's so nice to see when someone comes out of something so traumatizing and still has such a beautiful sense of hope. And I think that's really a really important message as well to put out there.
Speaker 2: Joy.
Speaker 1: The name of this show is I've never said this before. I know, I'm trying to think as we were, oh, you know what's coming as we wrap up. I feel like I've been so open already in this whole conversation. But in the spirit of the show name, is there anything you can think of whatever that question means to you, no right or wrong answer that you've never said before that you want to share today.
Speaker 2: This is so hard for me because I I mean, honestly, this is one of the biggest missions in my just in my own personal life. Once I left this group and started realizing how much shame was isolating me, I started to just talk about it and say things, and I just I'm like, a, you can't shut me up, Like I just want to say all the things so that it doesn't get locked in my own body. Obviously, you know I'm not. I'm not trying to un to give everybody every piece of information ever, But you know, I just want to be open and honest. I want to live that kind of a life. So I don't know what I would have never said. I say all the bad words. Now I say, I say I love you to all the people. Gosh, I wonder, I bet there's something like I haven't ever said to my parents. Maybe like I'm still scared of having vulnerable conversations with my parents. Hmmm. Like it's just I'm scared of emotion. I'm trying, I'm working on it, but like being in front of people, it's the same thing that I talk about in the beginning of the book, like, oh my god, I'm crying in front of a whole bunch of people. This is terrifying. I still feel that. And when I'm with somebody that I really care about and I start crying, I feel all kinds of uncomfortable things that I don't know how to deal with. I don't know if I've ever just flat outside to my parents and I'm sorry for what I put you through in those ten years I think we've danced around versions of that, but I don't think i've ever just flat out said that. So Mom, Dad, I'm really sorry for what I put you through for the last well those those ten years that's been. It's been a while out of it now, but yeah, and thank you for sticking by me and for your patience and grace.
Speaker 1: That's beautiful. I hope you send this to them because that really that really is it?
Speaker 2: Colum?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I hope you do that too. But that's that's a beautiful thing to share and share it so publicly, and I think we always have things we wish we said to parents or whoever that we haven't, So thank you for sharing that, and thank you for being open. I mean, I know it's still probably a lot for you, So I hope you feel good with this conversation and then sharing.
Speaker 2: You're lovely. I really enjoyed talking with you, and thank you for actually really diving into the book and taking so much out of it and being able to communicate really intelligently about it emotional intelligence as well. You're so well prepared and just easy to talk to and so positive, like this was really really nice experience. Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Oh well, thank you, thank you, and on our way out. Yeah, because I'm a theater loving boy. Oh yes, I'm here.
Speaker 2: Why were we talking about that for the last hour.
Speaker 1: I allow you two more hours, and I got to get you out the door. You have somewhere to be. But I know that you are offered bell right in be and the Beast, and you turn that down because of the cult. So let's do a little manifesting moment right here. Oh if even theater is something still on your radar? Yeah, what would be one or two or three rolls or shows that you would want to be a part of on Broadway? Oh my gosh, whether it's out now or not.
Speaker 2: Think Haitiestown would be a ball. I don't know if I could grunge my voice up enough like the Amber, but I would love to try. And Satine. I had one of the worst auditions of my life for Satine. It was really comical. It was like a producer session and I just totally choked, Like I did super well in the music session with the producer ahead of time, and it was like things were looking really good for me, and there were like six girls that were going back. It was replacing Karen for a Broadway and then they were doing the West End cast and all this and uh oh, man, I don't know what happened. I walked in that room and my brain just went too fast and my mouth slowed down and I couldn't I couldn't do it. I totally choked. But then Courtney, Uh oh, shoot, what's her last name? I know her? It was Courtney because I know her through a friend. So we met and she was just Courtney to me. But anyway, she's the girl that did Aladdin, er Jasmine and Aladdin, and she got Satina. She's doing fabulous job. But yeah, I would really enjoy that. I think that would be a really fun role if I could have another chance to not completely fuck it up.
Speaker 1: That was all right, Well we put it out there so broadby producers. I hope you listening. Let's go, let's do it. Let's do it. Joy, thank you again. I had so much fun hanging out with you. Your memoir is out right now. Everybody can go order it. Best place to order it.
Speaker 2: Oh, you can do Amazon, you can do Barnes and Noble. Yeah. I don't know how all the rigamarole works with like numbers and sales from particular avenues and stuff, but I would just say go, yeah, go grab it on Amazon or at Barnes and Noble.
Speaker 1: Dinner for Vampire is out now. Thank you, my friend. I hope you can do that again. This was lovely, It really was.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much, thank you.
Speaker 1: I've Never Said This Before is hosted by me, Tommy Didario. This podcast is executive produced by Andrew Piblisi at iHeartRadio and by me Tommy, with editing by Joshua Colaudney. I've Never Said This Before is part of the Elvis Duran podcast Network on iHeart Podcasts. For more, rate review and subscribe to our show and if you liked this episode, tell your friends. Until next time, I'm Tommy Diderio.