Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio, the George Washington Broadcast Center, Jack Armstrong and Joe Getty.
Speaker 2: Armstrong and Jetty and Key Armstrong and Yetty. I'm looking up at the television.
Speaker 3: They claim that more states are considering a four day school week. Are they actually for what reason? Sounds like the story they could be manufactured very easy. Somebody talked about it somewhere. Their reasoning is more free time for the kids, less teacher burnout, cheaper for some reason because you don't have the school open as many days, and all the costs to go with that, YadA YadA, yeada.
Speaker 2: I feel like, with reading.
Speaker 3: Profession and see math proficiency where it is now, go in that direction is not going.
Speaker 2: To be the answer. But you know, oh we go to six days? Yeah, no kidding.
Speaker 3: If we're gonna make a change, how about you do more while they're there. Anyway, I don't want to get off on that because I want to get off on this. I don't know exactly what's going on with the whole Tucker Carlson, Megan Kelly thing, and in general, I feel like like media discussing other media isn't the best topic because we're in this business and you're not, and maybe you don't give a crap.
Speaker 2: But uh, I used to love Tucker.
Speaker 3: I didn't watch Megan Kelly as much, but I always thought she was an honest broker.
Speaker 2: But what are things going on with them? Read the world of Islam right now?
Speaker 4: So see I see it less as discussing the media, even though we clearly are as discussing ideas and philosophies and who's pushing them and why in general, if it's college kids or Megan Kelly, I still find it interesting people pitching radical politics.
Speaker 2: And I think maybe.
Speaker 3: Meghan Kelly, maybe Candice Owns, but certainly Megan Kelly looks at Tucker Carlson as like her idol or this is how you do it. She sees how incredibly rich is She's already regre ridiculously wealthy. Remember that deal she was it one hundred and twenty million dollar deal she signed with NBC to leave Fox. Right, She's got gobs of money. Why would you ever go out and say crap? That is that you don't believe for more money at that point, But because you become so cynical, I guess, well, you know, at every level of wealth. You see somebody who's little wealthiered in you and say that'd be cool. I suppose anyway, Tucker Carlson has become more friendly to Islam as of late. We played portions of his interview with The New York Times that came out over the weekend. We didn't play this and then I'll explain it if it doesn't make sense to you.
Speaker 5: I think what we're seeing is evil. Like, are you allowed to kill people who've committed no crime? No, super simple, You're not allowed to do that under no moral standard? Is that allowable? All of a sudden it's allowable. It's allowable in Gaza, and our leaders are like, yeah, no, it's just totally fine. It's not fine, but certainly it's repugnant to the Christian understanding of the world and the human soul. Every person has a soul. That's the Christian view, and not just the Christian view, it's the Islamic view too.
Speaker 3: So he is going with the israel is Well, let me read. One of my favorite pundits wrote this to me. The most vile part of the segment, which no one is talking about, is where he states that Christians and Muslims believe every human has a soul, and then innocent civilians shouldn't be murdered, all while calling Israel's war on Hamas evil nothing. He had nothing to say about Hamas being evil or Muslims in any way ever being evil.
Speaker 2: Listen closely. This is not a criticism of Israel.
Speaker 3: It's a classic antisemitic blood libel and a visceral rejection of Judaism that unequivocally debunks Tucker's perpetual claim that he doesn't have an issue with Jews or Judaism, just Israeli policy. Tucker believes Judaism is a supremacist religion that does not believe all humans have souls because he hates talk about souls all the time, or that innocent people should not be murdered, had nothing to say about Hamas murdered.
Speaker 4: People, including their own people on regular or even the Koran saying that it's fine to kill unbelievers and have.
Speaker 2: To, and that was in the interview with the New York Times. On his show.
Speaker 3: Regularly he's been soft on Islam. And then there's some people that suspect he's getting checks from the Kataris or whatever.
Speaker 4: They're spreading billions and billions and billions of dollars around the United States change perceptions. I've heard him referred to as Tucker katar Elsen.
Speaker 3: Now I don't watch Megan Kelly's show. I keep telling myself I should, partially because I really like Mark Alprin and Rich Lowry. Those are two of my favorite pundits, and they go on Megan Kelly's show every week, and I assume, well, she's got to be a straight shooter. Here's Megan Kelly from January of this year. This is a little long, but this lays down her solid credentials as somebody who's worried about radical Islam.
Speaker 1: Islam is not consistent with the values of America of the West. They should stay in countries that don't care about keeping church and state separated. They should stay in countries that don't care about protecting free speech. They should stay in countries that don't care about women's rights. That's where Islam confess and grow.
Speaker 6: It's great.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm sure if that's like your thing you don't care about, like genital mutilation, you might really enjoy living in an Islamic country. If you don't mind living in a life as a woman where you have to keep every inch of your body except for your eyeballs covered. Yeah, someplace in the Middle East could be for you. It's not my thing, it's not America's thing, and it's not a thing that we should want.
Speaker 2: To encourage in the West.
Speaker 1: And he's understanding there may be some new listeners over here, you know, like he's gotten very very popular lately.
Speaker 3: On that switch to the other thing, we didn't divide it when it changes to now Oaks diviner to me, huh.
Speaker 2: I'm confused. I should have clarified this with you, Hanson.
Speaker 3: Anyway, So she does that whole that's back in January January earlier this year, where she does that whole, you know, completely accurate what she has been saying for many, many years that Islam is all kinds of nut job stuff that we all know, and she just repeated there.
Speaker 2: Then she's asked me.
Speaker 4: My only disagreement with her is that it is relentlessly expansionist, So there's no chance they're going to stay in place. That's not what they're called to do. But back to you, then she's asked.
Speaker 3: The subject comes up when she's talking to Mark Howperan the other day about Tucker's interview with The New York Times and some of the things that he said about the world of Islam lately. And rather than you know, continue where she has been on Islam all this all these years, she with this, there's.
Speaker 1: No such thing as Islamophobia. You are not only entitled to quote fear Islam. I would argue your duty is a criminal distance.
Speaker 3: Did you get a different clip than what I sent you, Hanson? This is confusing to me because on these we have her soft pedaling antib okay, we need fourteen b okay fourteen b And.
Speaker 1: He's understanding there may be some new listeners over here, you know, like like he's gotten very very popular lately, I read with Muslim viewers because he's been standing up for Islam, you know. And I have to tell you, Mark, it's been something I've noticed, just since I've gotten sort of moral clear eyed on Israel that a lot of the anti Muslim rhetoric that's put out there originates with people who are very very pro Israel who kind of need us to demonize them. And I've taken a look recently at my own rhetoric on this to say, have I been manipulated. To make sure I'm not getting manipulated.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, she's on Cutter's payroll. What the hell is that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, now that she's got clarity on Israel, Wow, she got bought.
Speaker 2: That's amazing. What the hell is that?
Speaker 3: And Tucker's standing up for Muslims, you know, and he's getting a lot of new viewers, young men and Muslims because he's standing up for Islam. And you know, I got to say I was misled a little bit by you know, the pro Israeli crowd.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'd like to go point by point Megan. So were you wrong about free speech in Muslim countries? Or were you wrong about freedom of religion? Were you wrong about the rights of women? I mean, on the facts, never mind who influenced whom are you? Were you wrong about the fact that Islam is a political system that's incombatible with the principles of democracy. What specifically changed?
Speaker 2: Nothing? Nothing, She's a She's been bought or lost her mind. It's horrific. Well, I don't think there's a chance she lost her mind. Now.
Speaker 3: My question I've had for a chowhile now is how long does Mark Halprin and Rich Lowry. I don't know if any of you know who those people are, particularly Rich Lowry, but they're pundits like Joe and I like because we believe they're straight shooters and honest and they're But Halpert kind of had a look on his face. He's a little wide eyed as she was saying that, like.
Speaker 2: H I know, I was supposed to respond to this. Uh.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's not like she was saying that in the nineties and now she says what she just said. This is a couple of months ago. Yeah, genera little mutilation. No rights for women. Can't do anything but share your eyeballs. Now it's Tucker's getting lots of new viewers, and you know, young men, Muslim men because he's standing up for Islam. And I've been misled by the pro Israel crowd, by the Fox crowd.
Speaker 2: Whoa, oh yeah, how much money?
Speaker 3: I'm just thinking for myself, as a guy who's in broadcasting, how much money would I have to think I'm gonna make for me to want to change my tune that much on something as evil as radical Islam. I don't think I could do it, but I've never had anybody offer.
Speaker 4: Me twenty million dollars. No, I wouldn't do it, not for a second, but I could. Everybody has their price, though, I mean that's an ancient saying, and you know, a regime like Cutter can hit virtually anybody's price if you have a price, which everybody has. So you know what strikes me I kept thinking about, let me give this off my chest, is we made a conscious decision a very long time ago to not be insiders of any sort, not hobnob with the powerful, not go to the cocktail parties, not get invited to the blankety blank.
Speaker 2: It's corrupting.
Speaker 4: It's I am so brutally disappointed by Halpern and rich Lowry not saying whoa, whoa, wait a minute, because they're both plenty bite enough oh yeah, to argue the point in the moment, which just goes to show you they don't want to upset the apple cart because they share listeners and viewers and they kind of promote each other's products, and god, it's so corrupt. I'm second by that, absolutely second.
Speaker 3: And so it's not really the islam Inn that bad part that is jarring. I think it's the turn on Israel. It's the anti Semitic. It's the Jews, the Jews, Ah, they were splitting these lies about Islam. I was misled by the Jews and the people who loved the Jews. That's what she's saying. Every show we kick off at the very.
Speaker 4: Beginning with me coming up with a couple of fanciful potential titles for today's show. And I've been resisting the temptation to go with nineteen thirty six is Now because it's saddam serious. But the story about anti Semitism in the US and in Europe and how completely crystal knocked it is, including like statements by Keir Starmer is a Jewish business is smashed up and looted and the rest of it, and you know, you're star of David spray painted or swastik is whatever. And he said it was a minor act of vandalism. It's not a major happening. Everybody trying to downplay it and poo poo it. I wouldn't worry about it. Yeah, it's nineteen thirty six is now. This is what it felt like in Nazi Germany. And another great piece I think was the Free Press was talking about how the anti Semite crowd has so taken over the Democratic Party because the whole Red Green Alliance thing where the Marxists joined with the Islamists because they have the same goals, And how you dare not in the center left to left of the Democratic Party criticize Islamism at this point. And it reminds me so much of because I spent a lifetime studying Germany in the World War two period, and blah blah. There is a party that's out of power, but it's got a lot of energy with the young, and it is really kind of a sendant and we don't think they can win. But one of their big things is we hate the Jews. Does that sound familiar to you at all? Well, America's most famous Nazi made a big announcement yesterday. I will tell you about that. Right after this, we got to tell you about simply Safe, which I love. Every single day when I pull away from my house, I see the simply Safe sign there in the yard, which I hope bad guys see. But more importantly the fact that I've got the simply Safe system set up in my house with the sensors and the cameras and all that, and you're gonna love it when you get it, way better than the other systems because it's a whole comprehensive ecosystem of sensor cameras for inside now and twenty four to seven professional monitoring. The monitors in the event of break in fireflo can take action for you. Not only is it better, it's less expensive, super affordable, and right now, you good folks can get fifty percent off your new simply safe system. It's simply safe dot com slash armstrong. That's simply safe dot com slash armstrong. No no lockings, by the way, no long term contracts. They are in your business every day. There's no safe like simply safe, simply safe dot com slash armstrong.
Speaker 3: Yesterday, Nick fuente Is announced on his show he is now a moderate Democrat. But the hell that the Democratic Party hated that.
Speaker 2: That's trolling, isn't it. It's gotta be well, we're desperately late.
Speaker 3: He's he's you know, he says, you can't trust uh uh Trump and the Republicans to stand up against the Jews like you can the Democrats. Oh boy, so I'm sure the Democratic Party thought.
Speaker 2: Thanks a lot.
Speaker 4: The new home of American Nazis the Democratic Party.
Speaker 2: Exactly true, It is true. It is true. He'd be welcome on a camp us. All right, more coming up stick here are strong and getty.
Speaker 6: This Sinko to Mayo is extra special because it happens to fall on Taco Tuesday, and really and there's some festive deals to be had. Taco Bells offering free crunch wrap supremes and seven to eleven has a bogo on burritos.
Speaker 2: And I'm guessing if you eat.
Speaker 6: More than one seven eleven burrito you will go into the hospital.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 3: I didn't realize Cinco Tomyo had fallen on Taco Tuesday.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, it's all come together.
Speaker 4: It causes a high tide, right or something, the plants that planets that aligned.
Speaker 2: Michael. When you how long you've been with us, Michael, h see since twenty twenty six years. Yeah, so were we already gracious?
Speaker 3: Were we already done with our sinko io hijinks by the time you joined us?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 2: No, you did?
Speaker 3: Uh what?
Speaker 2: Cinco de Mayo?
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're at We had people eat a fifth of mayonnaise.
Speaker 3: Yes, we used to have a contest on Syco Domayo who could eat a big jar of mayonnaise the fastest. We did that many years in a row. It's always entertaining and often included vomiting. Oh yeah, as you might guess, there's hardly anything I can think of. I'd rather eat less a large quantity of alone than mayonnaise, which is part of the point of the thing.
Speaker 2: Stupid human tricks. Yes, we gave away prizes, though, I remember somebody.
Speaker 4: Why would you bring that up at this Why don't you do mention the time you beat a girlfriend, which you would never do.
Speaker 2: Of course, No, of course, but.
Speaker 4: It's a sin of the past that's best left in the past.
Speaker 3: It's a sin that we used to have eating contests.
Speaker 2: Citiatic yiss.
Speaker 4: How about when we weighed a woman's boobs? That was science? Why did we do that? Well, we were talking about larger breasted women in back problems, and one of us or both of us asked, well, what is like the typical weight of a press? How much weight are we talking about? And nobody had any idea, And.
Speaker 3: Some large shifted woman came in and we had a scale for some reason to weigh her boob. She tried to hold herself in such a way that only her boob was on the scale.
Speaker 4: And kind of neutralize the Uh yes, whole that was science. Yeah, Oh, that's fascinating that it's a different time. It was ninety simpler time, nineteen fifty seven. Everything was in black and white. You know, it really was a simpler time. It was pre social media, pre smartphone explosion. People would like their neighbor and not particularly care what their politics were.
Speaker 3: Pre Ever, thinking about whether or not you dated somebody was a Republican or a Democrat, or who they voted for president would never cross your mind.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, you've got unbelievable chemistry. You're sexually attracted to each other, but they voted the wrong way in the midterms.
Speaker 3: Wouldn't give to the sexual chemistry because you'd find that out first, because it's like the most important thing on your list, right, which.
Speaker 4: Is so crazy and stupid. But I don't think it's going away anytime soon.
Speaker 3: Anyway. We got a lot more on the way if you missed a segment of the podcast or I'm Strong and Getty on demand.
Speaker 2: Armstrong and Getty.
Speaker 7: This is just rapidly changing and developing hour by hour. Here President Trump did weigh in. I'll get to that in a second, but he did seem to confirm that there is at least a deal on the table, and that was first reported out by Axios. What they had in their details were a fourteen point plan that would in effect and the war reopen the Strait. It would also unfreeze Iran funds and also would effectively have a moratorium on Iran enriching uranium.
Speaker 3: It's possible we're close to an end of the war and we're going to get a lot of the things that we wanted.
Speaker 2: It's possible.
Speaker 3: There are some Iranians that have told news outlets that axious story doesn't hold, But you don't know if.
Speaker 2: They have the power or not. Who's got the power.
Speaker 3: I assume Trump and his people think they're dealing with the people that have the decision making power. Sure, and not whatever voices told Iranian news outlets, no, no, no, no.
Speaker 2: We're not agreeing to this.
Speaker 4: So practically every phrase from that learned gentleman needed a disclaimer or two. But you know, that's the situation we find ourselves on.
Speaker 3: I feel like the IRGC announcing earlier today that they would not fire on chips was a pretty big deal. That seems like it a nod to me that they're considering this proposal.
Speaker 4: How's this for commentary. Something's happening, Something is happening. Trump said this yesterday, which was interesting.
Speaker 1: Other presidents should have done this forty seven years they've been toying with these stupid people.
Speaker 2: That's that the way we play now, we do it the old fashion way. And they should wave. They're very proud.
Speaker 1: Maybe you won't see a white flag, but essentially that's already what they are.
Speaker 2: They need.
Speaker 3: They should wave the white the flag, the white flag of surrender. So the latest truth social post, which is the way we currently in this country make you know, major foreign policy announcements, is that, he says, and there's a lot of commas here. Assuming Iran agrees to give what has been agreed to comma, which is comma, perhaps comma a big assumption, comma, the already legendary epic fury will be at an end, and the highly effective blocket, Yes.
Speaker 4: Is the comma of the new explanation. Mark We'll take your calls.
Speaker 3: And he said, the blockade will affect it highlight blah blah blah. The straight will be open to all in all caps. If they don't agree the bombing starts, and it will be sadly at a much higher level and intensity than it was before.
Speaker 2: So yet another.
Speaker 3: Threat to bombing the crap out of him if this doesn't hold, which I think he means this time. One reason I think that is this just came across from open source. The Charles de Gaulle aircraft carrier, that's a French aircraft carrier has transited southbound through the Suez Canal to deploy to the Red Sea and Gulf of Aiden and preparation for a straight of Hormuze mission per the French Defense Ministry. So the French are sending an aircraft carrier to the Straight of Hormos, which is a good sign all the way around as far as I'm concerned. Number one, who knew they had one?
Speaker 4: Number two, Given the weakness of European defense and budgets and everything, I wouldn't think they would do that unless they thought it was for a productive purpose.
Speaker 3: Well, and they need the straight open. Europe needs the straight open, true because they need the oil. And Trump might have said, yeah, the worst to start back up, need your help, you need to get on board. So it'd be US, France, Israel, and the UAE at least pounding the crap out out of ran and opening the straight back up if this all starts up again.
Speaker 4: Yeah, boy, there are so many ifs, but it's certainly possible that Trump finally got some buy in from the Euros and the Chinese saying all right, look, we'll be reasonable. Here's what we have to have from Iran uh and and one of those things is the straight being opened, and we need your help making sure it's open. If so, we will call off the dogs and let the world's economy get.
Speaker 2: Back to doing what it does. It's it's possible.
Speaker 3: I wish I could figure out how on news apps to get back to the article I was reading before it takes me away from the article I was reading.
Speaker 2: Ah, it's very annoying. God, dang it. Why do you think they do that?
Speaker 3: Lots of lots of apps and sights to it is so they get more clicks.
Speaker 2: By definition, you have to click more times on their site. It's it's possible. I don't know. I'd be guessing.
Speaker 3: Well, it's not to make it easier to use. It's got to be some metric like that. It's not to make your site easier to use, or you wouldn't take me away from the thing I'm reading. So but they all do it. I don't know if I got anything for you here. The story I've got is gone and into the ether, cray. That's the way life is visited.
Speaker 2: See if I got that, there you go. See if I can come with it. No, that's not it. See No, that's not it.
Speaker 4: Rocky Mountains, the Liberty Bell, I'm thinking it would have recently visited. Got to have a fascinating story about air travel and how it's been affected by the gas price hike, the jetful If.
Speaker 3: You like, let me give you the headline from this story and then and then we'll give you that, because then they'll dig it up. It's a Washington Post story out today, and I don't doubt that this is true. And I'm perfectly okay that we were being misled by our military, because you need to do that sort of thing. But the story from the Washington Post is that Iran has hit four There are more US military assets than have been reported. According to satellite images, the posts showed damage to at least two hundred and twenty eight structures a piece of equipment at US military sites that hadn't previously been reported.
Speaker 2: I'm fine with that.
Speaker 4: Lie.
Speaker 3: There's no reason to announce to the enemy or the world or anyone really the amount of damage you've done to us in the midst.
Speaker 2: Of a war.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, let's give them all the data they need to improve their systems.
Speaker 2: No, of course not.
Speaker 3: But Iran was successful in hitting hangars, barracks, fuel depots, aircraft, and key radar, communications and air defense equipment. According to a Washington Post analysis, the threat of air attacks rendered some of our US bases in the region too dangerous to staff at normal levels. Commanders moved most of the personnel from the sites out of range Iranian fire at the start of the war.
Speaker 2: Blah blah blah.
Speaker 3: So yeah, that's the sort of thing you don't need to tell the enemy, but it's probably good to know at some point.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Absolutely does change everybody's perception. I think of how effective the counter attacks have been. I mean, not super effective on a strategic level, obviously.
Speaker 3: Right, But we were using the best technology on earth to stop them from hurting us at all, and they did some damage obviously.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, some of the damage is being done economically. You may have noticed that the gas pomp, especially in more expensive coastal states. And you've heard about the challenges to the airline industry, including Spirit going out of business. They would still be fine if fuel prices were what they were like last year. And you know, I'd really love to get into the weeds of the horrible anti trust stuff the Biden administration did, but nobody wants to hear that, so I won't. But I found this interesting. Delta Airlines just announced it is ending food and beverage service on flights under three hundred and fifty miles. No food or beverage service unless you are seated in first class, which always receives full service. But New York to Boston's under three hundred miles, so just you bring a water bottling shut up. No beverages, Yeah, no food or beverage service.
Speaker 3: Food food, I get, I long ago gave up on the idea of getting much food on a plane.
Speaker 2: But no beverages.
Speaker 3: I don't get a cup of coffee, even though I'm gonna be on there for a couple hours.
Speaker 2: For now, at least you'll get nothing in like it. Bring a coffee, sit down. Wow, I don't like that.
Speaker 4: So American feeds passengers on flights over two hundred and fifty miles, as does Southwest. United says three hundred miles or longer. But it's all of all feed. You're using a broad term of feed. You give me a tiny little packet with six mini pretzels in it. Thanks for the food, Thanks for the meal, well mixing a salad jumbo.
Speaker 2: Huh? Always hungry, are you? Huh? You're right, you're right.
Speaker 3: A meal, No more meals. This was my meal. You're gonna eliminate the six pretzels.
Speaker 4: Oh gee, thanks, I'll miss those eighteen calories.
Speaker 3: But you know, if you're really struggling, sometimes it's a difference maker.
Speaker 4: I think I had heard this before, but I'd forgotten it. Fuel accounts for around thirty percent of an airline's overall operating costs.
Speaker 3: Here's the most amazing stat I've heard about flying recently. We talk a lot about how we live such wealthy lifestyles compared to like when we were kids on average, and how the reason the middle class is disappearing is because it's moved into the upper class. And we often talk about how nobody flew when we were kids. You drove on vacations prices for airline tickets adjusted for inflation, compared to average people, average stallies are a third what they were in the seventies. A third. Yeah, no, wonder my parents and nobody I knew. I didn't know anybody that flew anywhere. It's not like my friends were flying places either. Nobody flew anywhere when I was a kid. But you know, if people were making less a third, I mean there were three times more expensive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, you're not gonna fly, You're gonna drive or I go. Yeah, yeah, just.
Speaker 4: The you know, there are plenty of folks in institutions that don't want you to know that sort of thing, that sort of perspective about inflation or whatever, the difference in prices.
Speaker 2: But it's funny.
Speaker 4: I've got a couple of things side to side to bring up. At some point. A third of Americans are having an existential crisis right now. According to a recent study, they're having an existential crisis this year.
Speaker 2: A third. What shut up, No, you're not.
Speaker 4: But then this great essay, if America's so rich, how did it get so sad?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good one. Yeah, maybe talk about that in the award winning Hour four. Yeah, I think it's that comparison thing.
Speaker 3: It's that whole I'm perfectly happy with my house unless somebody builds a nicer house next to it, then I'm unhappy.
Speaker 2: Everybody's got so much stuff and we see it all the time. Yeah, exactly, well you gave it away, that's the answer. That's why everybody's so sad.
Speaker 3: We're living a more privileged life than human beings have ever in the history of the world, and we're sad and have to take anxiety bills.
Speaker 4: Right and convinced that our lives are miserable and deprived because of somebody else's politics, income inequality, or maga, depending on I am.
Speaker 2: You know which side of it.
Speaker 4: You're Here's here's I think, here's the answer for you. And once you know this, folks, you'll be liberated. Congratulations, enjoy your new liberation. Discontent is absolutely necessary to get political change. You've got to convince people they're unhappy, even if they're happy. Can convince them that they're being abused because of the race or who they like to have sex with or or whatever. That's the only way you get change and get attention in politics.
Speaker 2: Not the best way. Vote for me, not the best way, the only way exactly.
Speaker 4: And if you're in a society that say, I'm thinking creatively here, people are constantly surrounded by politics and political fundraising every day.
Speaker 2: What is that equal?
Speaker 4: A never ending message that you ought to be miserable because you're put upon and you're a victim all the time, coming from everywhere.
Speaker 3: Even though by all data points that you would use to measure that sort of thing. You should be happier. We should be happier than we are.
Speaker 4: To get your money and get your votes. Once you figure that out, you will be like me, lighthearted and cheering.
Speaker 6: They should check themselves before they wreck themselves in.
Speaker 4: You're right, Margo, Oh what he said? More on the way.
Speaker 3: These networks need to stop pretending people care about the WNBA just so they can look enlightened.
Speaker 2: Nobody cares. Wow. Wow, that's the ugly face of sexism. Folks hate to hear that.
Speaker 4: A couple of stories I have side by side to bring to you. Kid, a single kid and this is not the record, by the way, consumed thirteen thousand YouTube videos during school in three months.
Speaker 2: And that's just one example the during school.
Speaker 4: Yeah, on a school issued device.
Speaker 3: By the bye, my son tells me about kids in his class are on their phones the whole time. I don't even know how to react to that. I do not understand how that is a thing. How does the teacher not to say put your phone away, period and if you're on it again, I'm taking it until the end of class.
Speaker 2: How is that not the always case? Right?
Speaker 4: Why from time immemorial has a teacher not let the kids read a comic book or guitar player magazine in my case, or whatever during class because they understand kids will want to do that, but they're tasked with teaching those children, and part of teaching them is not letting them screw around. And everybody knew it, like.
Speaker 3: You always say, like if back in the day it plugged in a television and put on headphones, big screen TV and the teacher just says, what what are you gonna do? So what am I missing on this? I ask my son this all the time, and he says, the teacher says, put it away, and then they don't, and then he just keeps going.
Speaker 4: Because they've lost the ability to discipline the kids. So they've given up because of progressive policies in education. Here's the world's least surprising study. This from the National Bureau of Economic Research. Schools across the US have sharply restricted student use phones during the school day. We evaluated one type of restriction, lockable phone pouches, using nationwide data.
Speaker 2: Blah blah blah.
Speaker 4: Using a staggered difference in difference design, we found that pouch adoption substantially reduces phone use as measured by GPS, pangs and teacher reports.
Speaker 2: Listen to this, as if anybody needed this.
Speaker 4: In the first year after adoption, disciplinary incidents increased and students subjective well being falls consistent with short term disruption. So the kids had to be taught to fall in line. They're like, oh man, this sucks. However, effects on well being became positive almost immediately afterward and disciplinary effects fade.
Speaker 3: That's nice. I don't care if that's true. Not though, even if you stay unhappy, you can't look at your phone in class. The fact that ultimately you end up happier is great. But even if you would didn't end up hapier, you can't watch television.
Speaker 2: During science class.
Speaker 4: The end.
Speaker 2: I know how this is. They're debating in this school district whether or not what's the debate what's the other side of the debate and how did it get this far?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: It makes me so mad.
Speaker 4: I mean, the teachers' unions don't care. All they want is what is easy and gets them the most money. They don't care about the kids.
Speaker 3: How is every school in America already at a zero tolerance policy for looking at your smartphone in every class?
Speaker 2: I don't understand it. It makes my brain hurt. It makes me think I'm.
Speaker 4: Losing my mind, or that it is no country for old men, that I've just aged out of something.
Speaker 2: There's something going on in the world that I don't get because I'm old.
Speaker 3: But I don't understand how it's not a universal no phone's in the classroom already.
Speaker 4: That's how I felt about boys playing in girls' sports, like four years ago, when voices like ours were, you know, seldom heard because everybody was afraid. I thought, I must be losing my mind, that that person with the bangs and the makeup is a lad and he's beaten them. But jesus, out of the girls on the field of play, is anybody with me?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Boy, they're insane in the brain.
Speaker 3: Yeah, apparently, if it's what you said that teachers just feel built beat down.
Speaker 2: That has to be the most demoralizing job in the world.
Speaker 3: To stand up there and today, to stand up there and talk to a room full of people staring at the front, I couldn't do it. Maybe it's easy for me to say, because you know, I'm not in that situation where you know, I've got tenure, I got a salary. I'm going to keep making this salary. I can't get fired. This is better than whatever else I could do to try to make this one amount of money and you get a pension and all that.
Speaker 2: I suppose that's where you end up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but a lot of people are miserable about it because people get into teaching because it brings them joy, and the joy has been beaten out of it. I think no support from the faculty, none from the parents, none from the politician.
Speaker 3: I feel like I would just have to say put away your phones. If you don't put away your phone, I'm taking it at the end of class, and then if I end up getting disciplined or fired, then I do something else.
Speaker 2: But that's easy to say, Yeah, you'd be doing something else. I think that's it. That's crazy.
Speaker 3: Why mister Armstrong get fired from science class because he wouldn't let people watch television during his class.
Speaker 2: What he's a fasci He's a monster.
Speaker 3: If you missed a segment of the podcast Armstrong and Getty on demand
Speaker 2: Armstrong and Getty