Speaker 1: Welcome to Stuff to Blow Your Mind, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to Weird House Cinema. My name is Joe McCormick. My regular co host Robert Lamb is out today and so sitting in the guest co host chair we have and I'm so excited to welcome him onto the side of the mic for the first time. Our longtime audio producer JJ Posway. Jj. How you doing? Man? Hey doing pretty well? How are you, Joe? I'm doing great. To be honest, actually I'm incredibly tired, but I'm not but I think we're gonna have a great time today. I'm truly, genuinely so excited for you to come on the show. We've been talking about doing this for a while and I'm glad we're doing it with a weird House pick. So today on Weird House Cinema, we're going to be talking about a movie that you selected, and that is the twenty nineteen French black comedy Deer Skin, directed by about to say a French name, Quentin Depew. How's that yeah?
Speaker 3: I think that's probably about how I'm going to say it too. It's okay, Quantin Depew, Quanton dep I'll probably say Quentin Depew.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in English, it looks like Quintin, so Quentin might say Quentin Depew. So I had never seen a movie by this filmmaker before. Obviously this is more recent than a lot of the films we cover, but nothing wrong with that. So what got you excited about Deer Skin? What's your relationship with this movie?
Speaker 3: To be completely honest, it's when I only watched a couple of weeks ago. I have a couple of friends named Ian and Terrence who have watched most of Depew's movies, and they started introducing me to his work, and at this point of watched like five or six of them. They're absurd and surreal. There are a lot of on coincidentally, last week watching the movie incredible but true. I thought one of his movies would make a good Weird House Cinema episode, and I definitely recommend that one, but Deer Skin kind of felt like the best fit for an episode of Weird House.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm glad you picked this one because I loved it. I thought it was really weird and funny, just fantastic. I liked the pathetic, understated sense of humor in it, and yeah, kind of. It's the kind of absurd groove that it gets into. I think you probably know what I mean by this. The pacing of the increase in absurdity is really exquisite here.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It's slow but steady, and I think groove is the right word. There is like a strange musicality to it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not to It actually has good music in it. Oh, It's not like a musical movie that's like dominated by musical motifs, but it has like a few recurring things like these ominous horns that come in, these little bleats every now and then that are just kind of sound like something's wrong. But sometimes it's just when it's a guy looking in a mirror. Yeah, yeah, now, incredible but true. That's another depew movie. That's the one with the robot penis. We're not talking about that one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that one didn't seem right for the show, but I do highly recommend that one. That one has a little more of a like a sci fi thing going on, if you could call it that. I think it's a really good primer. But every movie I've seen of his has been really great and pretty. He's got a consistent tone. I read this letterboxed review of Incredible but True, and it was actually a disparaging review. But the way they started off I thought was pretty apt in calling Depew a premise generator. Yeah, and I think he's really great at these just absurd premises, setting them up and letting them play out for usually like an hour and fifteen minutes or so. They're not often long movies.
Speaker 2: So I guess we could go ahead and say what the absurd premise of Deer Skin is? How would I put it? I'd say it's about a kind of pathetic middle aged man who goes through some sort of personal crisis and becomes enamored of a new deer skin motorcycle jacket that he paid too much money for. And as his love affair with this jacket and how he looks in it deepens, it goes to increasingly bizarre places, and he eventually becomes a co conspirator with the jacket, and they together decide that they must eliminate all other jacket wearing phenomena from planet Earth, and this will be the only jacket human duo that should be allowed to exist.
Speaker 3: I think that's a great summary.
Speaker 2: Okay, now, having only seen this, depu film. I can see how somebody might describe his style as premise generator, because while the I think you could call this the style of filmmaking like absurdist or absurd comedy, it's actually, I think quite logical. It's just a very B follows, a C follows, be kind of logical progression pursuing this absurd premise where if you take the absurd premise on, everything just kind of flows and it makes sense totally.
Speaker 3: There's a quote I want to share later that I think Get said that same sentiment, and Yeah, what is so fun about it is the just the slow ratcheting up of that absurdity.
Speaker 2: Another thing I want to establish here at the top. It is hard not to see the main characters increasingly bizarre and toxic relationship with his leather jacket as having something to do with the way lonely people become obsessed with things. And I feel like this is something I've seen in my life has happened with people I know. In fact, I can feel little threads of it in myself at different times in my life, the way that when you feel kind of alienated or you are lacking in a rich, well entangled, you know, sense of human connections and human networks. When you're lacking in friendship and family life and stuff like that, it seems like maybe you are more prone to find a new thing and then make that thing your entire personality. This is like all you know, I've discovered that. Now I'm into a new hobby or a new artist that I like or something like that, and that's literally all I can think and talk about, and all subject matter is now I now relate back to this thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I agree with that completely, and I think Depew from what I've read, has a similar view.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, well, maybe we'll get into that as we go along. Elevator pitch. I guess I've already given the straightforward description of what happens in the movie thematic Elevator pitches. I'd say it's a film about loneliness, falsity, and authenticity, obsession, and of course killer style, both in the earnest and the ironic sense.
Speaker 3: Absolutely. Yeah, all right, we're going to play a little bit of the trailer audio.
Speaker 4: Well, now, j J.
Speaker 2: We we kind of had to put this episode together fast, so I ended up streaming the movie. But you were able to get ahold of a disc.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I rented from Video Drome here in Atlanta. It's also available on Apple and Amazon Prime.
Speaker 2: Though now, as usual on a Weird House Cinema episode, we're gonna end up discussing the plot in a lot of detail. So if you haven't seen the movie and you want to see Deer Skin without knowing everything in advance, there are some fun surprises in it. Here is your warning pause the episode. Here, go watch the movie first. But if you think you'll never see it, or you just don't care, if we describe the whole story in advance, let's plow right on ahead. All right, Well, let's move on and talk about the connections and discuss some of the key people involved. I think you had some stuff on Quinton Depew, the director writer also, I think yes, he's.
Speaker 3: The director, writer, cinematographer and editor. Depew's a French filmmaker a musician. He makes music under the name mister Waso and put out his first EP in nineteen ninety seven via the label f Communications. A few years later, in nineteen ninety nine, he'd released a single called flat Beat, which was a hit in Europe. The music video for Flatbeat was directed by De Pew himself and featured a puppet named flat Eric. De Pew created Flat Eric with Jim Henson's Creature Shop, and the puppet, as well as the song flat Beat, were used in a series of Levi's commercials that he directed.
Speaker 2: What kind of animal is he? He's like a yellow dog but without ears, but with the like little beaty bits of coal for eyes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'd say that's an app description. But also a little guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, he's cutee. I mean is he cute or is he cruel? And does he wish me harm?
Speaker 3: I feel like that exact intersection is where his music, as mister Waso, at least the stuff I've listened to seems to.
Speaker 2: Live so I haven't listened to any mister Waso. What's the what's the style of music? Like? How would you describe it?
Speaker 3: It falls broadly under the umbrellas of like electro and house. He makes electronic music, And I mean, I think you put it best just in describing Flat Eric. There's like a very playful sinisterness. There's like always a layer of humor.
Speaker 2: Is it like in Deer Skin when there are those scenes of George sharpening the fan blade to turn it into a machete, but he's like playing with it. He's playing with the with the watermelon and just having a good time. It's like it's like a like a cute having fun montage, but he's making a Jason Vorhees implement.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, kind of. I linked one of these Levi's commercials that has a I think paints a pretty good picture of flat Eric that features the song flat Beat.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna pull this up right now. Hold on, I gotta order some jeans. No, it's good. It's like, I mean, it's got that Oh, here's where I don't have the correct terminology. It's got a kind of fuzzy, malfunctioning electronics sound to the to the tones in there, there's something that sounds like a like an incomplete connection in the wiring. But also it's a little bit jaunty, you know. It's it's like something you can nod your head to. It's not like, you know, industrial downbeat kind of stuff. It's fun, but but something sounds a little wrong.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, it's like a little distorted, and ultimately it's fun, but there's just like a tinge of menace to it, the most playful kind of menace.
Speaker 2: Though, but also in this levice commercial, it's like a guy driving with flat Eric the puppet. They get pulled over by a cop and flat Eric quickly tries to make his car look less threatening, so he like turns around like a pin up picture, and just on the other side, it's a picture of a horse in a meadow.
Speaker 3: So he's still active as mister Waso, and some of his movies have featured his music under that name, and he is always credited as mister Waso when he makes music for his movies. His first movie, titled non Film, was released in two thousand and one, but his breakthrough movie was twenty ten's Rubber, a movie about assentient killer tire with psychokinetic powers.
Speaker 2: So I've never seen Rubber. I had entirely the wrong idea about what it was, though I'd seen the cover, not the movie itself, and I assumed it was a like self conscious ironic schlock comedy horror movie, something more like Sharknado in like irony zone stuff. And now I assume that's not really what it's like. It is probably something a little bit closer to Deer Skin, but more firmly in the absurd horror Vein.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's somewhere in between. I definitely don't think it's a full sort of Shark Nato situation. I actually watched it last night just to get a good sense of what that was, and it is closer to Deer Skin than something like Shark Nato, though I do feel like I kind of prefer where he goes after Rubber.
Speaker 2: Okay, so that's not his peak. It's not all downhill from there.
Speaker 3: At least, you know, in my opinion, But I think that that's one that he's pretty well known for, and it was the first of four films he'd make in America, followed by twenty twelve's Wrong, twenty thirteen's Wrong Cops, and twenty fourteen's Reality. He returned to France after the release of Reality and put out his first film produced there in twenty eighteen. He's been pretty prolific since, sometimes releasing multiple movies a year, with his most recent at the time of recording being The Piano Accident, which was just released in France a couple weeks ago. The writer Savina Petkova has a piece on Deer Skin from twenty twenty one on the publication The Quietest that I think aptly describes to Pew's appeal when she writes his films are laden with characters, situations, and spoofs that produce a hypnogogic effect, but the reality status is never questioned. Deer Skin represents the opposite of skepticism in relation to the uncanny, a film that gladly jumps on the bandwagon of unforeseen ideas with an ease that resembles a dream.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I could agree with that there is something dream like about it, but not in every way. One of the we sort of got into this earlier. But one of the ways I would say it is not like a dream is that dreams often feel more random, like just random new introduction of new elements, Whereas it seems to me that once Deer Skin gets going, sort of like I was saying earlier, everything just kind of follows logically. If you buy into the initial dream, it's like a real world that operates fully on the logic of physics and cause and effect, and people behave in some ways normally, except this real world was created by an absurdist demi urge who is, like, you know, a man in a jacket will decide that they must be the only man in jacket that can be together.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I totally agree with that. Moving on to our protagonist. Jean Dujardins plays George born nineteen seventy two, French actor and comedian. Worked as a stand up comedian in France and has been in many films as an actor. Some of the most well known include The Artist from twenty eleven, the comedic reboot of the French spy series OSS one hundred and seventeen, and The Wolf of Wall Street. As George, he portrays a bit of an idiot, but he's a confident idiot, and that confidence mostly successfully carries him as he reinvents himself around a new jacket on the fly.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, I like you flagging the confidence there and how much it how much it works like. He's a pathetic character, but a different kind of movie I think would have more of everybody around him just treating him as a fool and treating him with scorn and actually he you know, he gets some pushback in skepticism, but he also gets pretty far just on being a foolish, overconfident, pathetic person.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he gets remarkably far. He gets remarkably little pushback there's like one exception that isn't even really overt pushback in that sort of sends him over the edge.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I thought Douchardon was good in this role, and I knew I recognized him from somewhere, but I couldn't place it at first. I actually have not seen the Artist I think he was. Did he win like a Best Actor Oscar for that?
Speaker 3: Oh man, I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sorry, we just had to look this up. He did win the Academy Award for Best Actor for his role in The Artist from twenty eleven. Again, I have not seen that one, but I realized what I knew him from was that he is the corrupt Swiss banker in Wolf of Wall Street. He's the guy who's like trying to telepathically make make slimy deals with Leonardo DiCaprio.
Speaker 3: It's been a while since I've seen that one, so I don't remember that. But he's great in this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he is. There is a there's a soft spoken, matter of factus to the way that he resists anything that challenges his delusions that is so good. One of my favorite moments of the movie is when he's been like doing stuff that's impossible to explain without getting more into the plot first, but doing weird stuff that he's like paying these actors to be in these bizarre scenes. And one of the actors is like, this movie you're making it's a bit weird. No, he says, it's not weird, it's amazing. It's really good delivery on that line. It's in French, but yeah, it comes through.
Speaker 3: Yeah, agree completely. I love his delivery. I love his whole demeanor in this movie. It really sells it.
Speaker 2: Yes, similar things I would say about the next actor we're going to talk about, is this Adele nel Yeah.
Speaker 3: Annelle born nineteen eighty nine is our second lead. She made her film debut at the age of twelve in the two thousand and two movie Le Diaba. In twenty fourteen, she won the CESAR Award for Best Supporting Actress for her role in the twenty thirteen movie Suzanne, and in twenty nineteen she appeared in three movies, Deer Skin being one of them and the other two being Heroes Don't Die and Portrait of a Lady on Fire, which is where I knew her from. She retired from the film industry in twenty twenty three. Citing that the industry defended a capital, patriarchal, racist, sexist world of structural inequality. She's since been active in theater and as a political activist.
Speaker 2: Well respect her critique of the industry, both from within and without, but I also I think she's so great here, Like, I love the way that our empathy for this character evolves as we come to understand her better. So like the evolution goes something like when we first meet her. In classic comedy terms, this character, Denise is what do you call, like the feed or the straight character, the comedic foil of the act's main buffoon, which is George. Here, this kind of character is the stand in for the audience, the normal person who is there to react skeptically to the funny man's antics. And that is what she feels like in the first few scenes with her. But then as our main weirdo evolves to become more criminal, basically more sinister, the drama shifts and she becomes the victim of his lies and scams, and we feel a totally different way about her. We start to feel pity for her while he's like, you know, lying to her and draining her bank account. And then she reveals that she was actually always aware of the fact that he was a fraud, and then she becomes part of the antics and scams. In essence, she becomes the weirdo, and in fact, maybe even weirder than the weirdo that came before. She starts kind of trying to give orders, and so I love that evolution. You feel like three totally different ways about her as the movie goes on, and it's a very seamless kind of transition. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I love this too. I was reading an interview on the publication Dazed that Depew did in support of Deer Skin, and to quote that interview, Originally, Depew planned for Denise to be down to earth every woman to counteract George's quirkiness. However, Nnel insisted that Denise should adore blood and slaughter without changing a line in the script. We decided that she's crazy, the director says, and because she's an amazing actress, you see it in her eyes. Suddenly every scene looks different, and Jean looks stupid in front of her. She's evil and he's just a kid.
Speaker 2: That's brilliant. Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 3: So, yeah, totally agree. The composer is Yanko Niovich. I think that's how you pronounce it. As far as I can tell. He was born in nineteen forty one. He did the score. He's a prolific Paris based musician who has released over thirty albums since the early nineteen sixties, mostly library music, essentially work for higher albums made to be easily licensed for productions. He's made music under a variety of pseudonyms, one of which was Mad Unity. Under the mad Unity name, he released one of his most well regarded albums, Funky Tramway. I checked out the title track of this one, and it definitely sounds like a funky tramway. Flattering, it's frenetic, and then there's a bunch of like wah guitar. You gotta check it. It's a funky tramway for sure.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: His music has been sampled by artists like Jay Z, Doctor Dre the Alchemist, and Freddie Gibbs and Schoolboy Q to name a few. He seems to be sampled quite a bit actually, and as of twenty twenty two, he's still making new music. And I found news from twenty twenty three of a documentary called The Sample Return of Yanko Niovich. That's currently in production, I guess. According to an interview Depew did with Dazed during Deerskin's post production, he scrap plans to record an electronic soundtrack himself, saying that quote to me, it's a dead serious movie. It's funny, but not what we call it comedy. And actually I never used funny comedy music or whatever. I decided to only use music from the seventies to match the jacket.
Speaker 2: Oh that's interesting, because yeah, the music in this movie, well, first of all, there are some there's some great like needle drops in it. In the closing credits, it uses the song by Della Humphrey that I don't know if I'd ever heard before, when Good Girls Go Bad. That one's fantastic excellence.
Speaker 3: It's a great closing song. Yeah, I loved it.
Speaker 2: But also the original score for it, Yeah, it doesn't sound like goofy dump de dump comedy music. It sounds like something that could be in like a dark Michael Chimino movie from the seventies or something.
Speaker 3: And finally, I wasn't able to find a ton of info on her. But Jean le Barux, the production designer, this is Depew's wife and the production designer on seemingly all of his movies from twenty Twelve's Wrong onward and according to an interview, I ran and she's the only person he will run edits the movie by before finalizing them.
Speaker 2: All Right, you ready to talk about the plot? Ja, ja, Yeah, let's do it cool. So I think we're going to talk about a lot of like direct in scene texture in this one, because that's a lot of where the pleasure of the movie lies. So it starts off with the cold open in like a big empty room that looks like it could be a warehouse or parking garage. And there are several young men and women. They stand lined up behind a car with the car trunk hanging open, and they're all holding piles of clothing in their arms. And the first guy, sort of a guy with red hair and a mustache, he looks straight into the camera and he says, I swear never to wear a jacket as long as I live. And then he's got this stack of clothes in his arms. You realize they're all jackets. He dumps the jackets into the car's trunk gets out of the way. The next man in line steps up to the car. He looks into the camera with a kind of smirk, and he says the same thing, I swear never to wear a jacket as long as I live. Dump. A woman steps up from behind. She seems a little less good humored than the first two guys. She dumps in her pile of jackets and says the same thing, though she has to be prompted by somebody off screen to get the words right. And then a voice behind the camera tells them to close the trunk. She slams it and we cut to black. There's a good WTF opening. Don't see that every day? And then the action reopens on our protagonist, George. This is again is Jean dou Chartin and he is a quiet, bearded man in his forties. He's dressed in a corduroy blazer and a button up shirt tucked into his pants. He's driving a sedan along the highway in France by himself, somewhere in rural France, and he passes toll stations. He stops for gas, and at the service station where he's putting gas in the car, he stares at his reflection in the window of his car and it seems like he doesn't like the way he looks. He's kind of pulling and adjusting at his jacket to try to look better, but just doesn't seem happy. So he goes to the bathroom at the service station, where he takes off his blazer, wads it up, crams it into the toilet, and then tries to flush it down. Now this doesn't work. The toilet begins to overflow, and he starts like stomping on it and the toilet bowl, trying to jam it down the hole. But how's that going to work. You're not even supposed to flush paper towels, you know, Are you gonna get a blazer down there? So it doesn't work. Everything's just flooding in the bathroom, and he flees the scene in his car. So George is on a journey. We see him sleeping in his car overnight beside the highway, and then later he is following a map, winding his way up these narrow, twisting country roads, and eventually George comes to an old farmhouse on a hillside. At the door, he rings the buzzer and he announces that he's following up about an advertisement, and an older man lets him inside inside this house, it's rustic, a lot of simple varnished wood, and George is here about a product that this guy has advertised for sale. George says, he's very anxious to see the item. So the old man goes and gets it out from a chest, this big treasure chest looking thing in the other room. And then the old man comes into the room with George holding up this object like a highrafant showing off the sacred relics. It is a leather jacket, tawny brown. I'm not sure what you call this cut, but his kind of motorcycle style with a wide collar and a zipper in front. But it's the zipper's not straight down the middle. It's a little offset to the side, with big stripes of leather fringe in a V shape across the chest, and then the fringe wrapping all the way around the back. That I miss any important details, JJ, I feel like we've got to describe the jacket.
Speaker 3: Right right, Yeah, No, I think that's a pretty good description.
Speaker 2: Okay. The old man says, meet the beast, one hundred percent deer skin, and George is obviously impressed. It's love at first sight. The old man says that he wore it for about a year, but then it went out of style, so he put it away. He also says that it made him itch a little bit. So George takes the jacket, he looks at himself in the mirror, He tries it on, looks in the mirror, and he loves it. He makes an offer to the old man and pays him in cash, and the old man is very pleased. He's counting the money while George is admiring himself in the mirror, and George is saying, look at yourself, how elegant. And here I've got a question. I think this is a serious question about the craft of the film. Is the jacket actually supposed to look good on George? As in, obviously he likes it, But is it supposed to look good to us the audience. On one hand, it's it's I think you could say it's a cool looking jacket, but it is also ostentatious, like it has all this fringe and stuff, and you know, the deerskin element is obviously I don't know, maybe some people are really into that or not, but it also looks kind of short to me, like you can see a gap between the jacket and the top of his pants, where his button up shirt is just kind of sticking out in a way that looks silly. Maybe that's just the style of how you wear this, but I genuinely couldn't tell whether the jacket is supposed to look cool on George or not. It's sort of somewhere in the middle.
Speaker 3: Yeah. No, I agree, it looks a little goofy. He loves the jacket, though he stands up, his mouth is a gape in its presence and has to sit down with his hand over his mouth, just overcome by its beauty when he sees the fringe on the back and speaking to whether or not the jacket looks good, I guess to Pew tried like ten or twelve jackets on John saying that quote. We loved that the jacket was good looking, but too short. Something's wrong. Oh okay, Yeah, I think it looks a little goofy. As I said, I feel like he hasn't fully crossed into goofball territory yet, which I'm excited for. I also want to point out that he pays seventy five hundred euros for this jacket, which today converts to roughly eight thousand, six hundred and ninety one dollars, which is a steal, of course, exactly. Yes, And we get a shot of a deer looking directly into the camera before he puts on the jacket.
Speaker 2: Okay, I think here's the way I would put it. George is he doesn't look clownish in the jacket, but he is not quite pulling it off. I think it's the kind of jacket that like would look really cool on somebody who usually looks really cool. You know. That's it's kind of an unfair thing about fashion, right, Like there are a lot of clothing items that look really cool only on people for whom everything they wear looks cool. And this jacket might be in that zone on George. It is. It is definitely somewhere near the border of ridiculousness.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think it's funnier for that, Like if it was over the top, it wouldn't have the same sort of effect.
Speaker 2: Anyway. The old man is so happy with this deal that George is. You know, George is like, here's seventy five hundred euros for this old thing you're getting rid of. He decides to give George an extra gift. It is a digital video camera, and as he says, digital is the best.
Speaker 3: You can't top digital.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which is very confusing because admittedly I haven't used a lot of digital video cameras, but I assume a digital video camera means that you're like recording to a memory card or chip or something. But then later in the movie there's like a significant plot point about needing cassettes for the video camera. So I don't know, I didn't know what to make of any of that.
Speaker 3: We're gonna get into this. Oh, and he pulls the camera out. I have a whole tangent to bring us down perfect.
Speaker 2: I can't wait. I love it. Love a technology run down in movie props. So George leaves and he checks in at a nearby hotel, telling the clerk that he plans to be there for a month. He has no money. I think he spent all his money on the jacket, and he says there is a problem with his credit card, so he's going to get that sorted out the next day, but in order to stay the first night, he takes a gold ring off of his finger. I'm pretty sure this is a wedding ring, and he leaves it with the clerk as collateral, promising to pay the bill the following day. And then George goes up to his room and he oogles himself in the mirror, offering these quiet little statements of commentary, sort of complimenting himself. He says things like stoking killer style, it's it's really tender, you know, he's it's I like these little, these little moments, especially how quietly he says these things. And then after checking into his room, we also see him leaning out of his window playing around with the video camera he got, like he's I think he starts focusing it up on the mountain across the way from the hotel.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and this movie is heavy on the beige in the tan, and this hotel room is like maybe the beigest thing of all, and it sort of mirrors the jacket. I also want to point out that the wallpaper extends into the shower. I'm not sure how normal that is.
Speaker 2: Does this hotel room have a bathroom? There is the showers in the corner of the room.
Speaker 3: That's a good question. It might just all be in one room, Okay, Because you're right, the shower is just in the corner.
Speaker 2: It's like a ned Flanders house that love built situation where the toilet is in the kitchen. Maybe this I don't I mean to make fun. Actually, I wonder if this is something that's actually common in like some French hotel rooms or something, maybe maybe in older buildings or something like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. And this is where George removes the almost new digital camquarder from its bag. And I spent too long trying to find the exact model camquarder this was, so I'm gonna go on that brief tangent I was mentioning earlier for some reason I needed to know, and I think it's a Sony DCR PC one handycam. It's a mini DV camquarder and according to the camquorder pedia wiki, sorry, it was introduced in two thousand and one.
Speaker 2: Oh so it's almost new.
Speaker 3: Is almost new perfect.
Speaker 2: Most things are almost new if you think about it.
Speaker 3: And we talked off Mike earlier too about why this digital camcorder uses little tapes. This came up when I was watching with my friends Terrence and Ian as well. So I'm going to offer a brief, very basic explanation of the DV format because I went down a whole rabbit hole to be able to talk about this camera a little bit.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, fill me in, man, make it make sense.
Speaker 3: I'm going to try, Okay, I did some cursory research. DV was a format developed by Sony and Panasonic that was introduced in nineteen ninety five. DV tapes came in a variety of sizes, the smallest of which many DV being very popular. That's what we see in this movie. DV tape store compressed video in glorious for ADP so DVD quality, and uncompressed audio at sixteen bit forty eight K when recorded in stereo, so that's higher than CD quality. While it was mostly a consumer grade format, it was also used professionally sometimes, and a notable example is that David Lynch actually shot Inland Empire on the DV format using a Sony DSR PD one F.
Speaker 2: I've actually never seen that Lynch movie. I've heard some people who have seen it describe it as one of his least accessible films.
Speaker 3: I'd agree with that, but I really love it. I could not recommend it more.
Speaker 2: Well, of course, I love David Lynch, So on your recommendation. I'm gonna reprioritize Inland Empire. I'm gonna move it up my list and try to see it sooner. But yeah, i'd heard people say it's one of his less accessible movies, and I think maybe i'd heard different things about the way it looked. I know some people didn't love the way that it looked or found it kind of murky or something. And I not that I would really think David Lynch would be a part of this wave. I don't know, maybe, but I do remember there was sort of a thing, wasn't there In like the early to mid two thousands were more mainstream feature film directors were experimenting with using digital formats. I remember associating this with twenty eight Days Later, had a kind of digital look. I don't know how that was actually shot.
Speaker 3: You know what, that one's also shot on DV.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, cool? Well, yeah, I remember associating it with that look and some other films of that time getting into that thing. And I wonder how film like that is sort of being evaluated in retrospect. I haven't read that much about it, but I do know it can have its own aesthetic virtues like there's another film actually that I don't know what it was shot on, but it has that digital look and I think it contributes to the aesthetic effect of the film. And that is one of the weirdest cop movies I've ever seen, The Michael Man Miami Vice movie from what is it like two thousand and six or something. Do you know what I'm talking about?
Speaker 3: I do. I know that it has a lot of a lot of people really love that movie.
Speaker 2: I saw it a few years back and was mesmerized by it. I would call it the cop movie at the End of the World. So in content, it is a you know, it has a kind of dark romantic subplot, but overall it's like a you know, drug busts and raids and you know, cops and criminals kind of movie. But there is something about it that feels so doomed and uh and bleak, and like it takes place in a world where where all happiness and meaning has been lost and now all that there is left is is cop and crime and and maybe and maybe there's there's the illusion that there could be love, but but that's really also doomed.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: It's it's a unique film. I would say it's not what you think of when you think Miami Vice. At least it's not what I imagined Miami Vice would be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean from watching Inland Empire, I can totally see that, because I think the way Inland Empire looks gives it that same sort of quality. I definitely think it is augmented by looking like that, and I think it was something David Lynch went into very deliberately.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, I'm going to watch in lond Empire. But wait, so we were getting into the technical details here. So what's the deal with the tape? So it's digital, but there are still tapes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sorry for the tangent to address the tapes. Tangent to address the tapes. The video in the audio info is store digitally. Put very very simply, the video and audio information are converted to digital information, so a sequence of ones and zeros, and that digital info is encoded onto magnetic tape. When you play the tape back on the camcorder or on a DV deck like we'll see later in the film, that digital and is converted back to video and audio.
Speaker 2: Okay, So maybe I just had the wrong idea of what digital means. A recording in storage context totally.
Speaker 3: This was new to me too, though I think maybe if you like live in camera world and you're more involved in film, this might be a little less novel. But I also thought this was pretty cool and I started researching how exactly it works. But I got in over my head pretty quickly, and while I have a loose grasp of it involves magnets, I definitely don't understand it well enough to explain it. So if you're a listener who wants to elaborate on this or roast me on my short explanation, I would love to hear about it, and you can write in at contact at stuff to blowermind dot com. But anyways, Yeah, it's a mini dvcamcorder, so it is digital video, but it's stored on little cassette tapes.
Speaker 2: Okay, so we're coming back to the plot. So, like George has been playing with his dvcam quorder and then he goes out walking in the evening and we hear voiceover of a phone conversation between George and a woman. The woman says, why are you calling? What's the point? George says, to tell you, I'm far away. I left it's done. Want to know where? And the woman says, no, you're nowhere, George, you no longer exist. And then George finishes the conversation standing outside a bar in the rain. When it's over, he throws his cell phone into the garbage can and goes inside. So he's done with the cell phone. No more cell phone. And I think we it seems pretty clear to me this is to imply that George is at some kind of breaking point in a relationship. I think this is his wife he's talking to, and it's the end of their relationship for some reason that it's not exactly explained. So at the bar we meet a new character, Denise, the bartender, played by Adele and l And this scene gets funny and so like a lot of the humor in the movie, it's it's understated humor, but so I'll describe it. Denise is speaking with a patron at the other end of the bar while George is having a whiskey by himself, and they're talking about somebody they know. They're just kind of like saying, oh, you know, can you believe he said that? No, what's she going to do? You know? Standard kind of social gossip and then George suddenly confronts them and says, you're talking about my jacket, aren't you. I loved this, and they act confused. They're like, no, we were not talking about your jacket. And he's like, oh, sorry, people always talk about it sometimes they stop me in the street. I'm just used to getting it noticed. Sorry. And Denise is kind of skeptical and she says, really, what do they stop you to say about it? And he doesn't really answer. He's just like, as you can see, it is no ordinary jacket.
Speaker 3: He has like a slight pause where he looks a little lost for a second before saying that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really good. So George, Denise and the other lady start chatting. They ask him what he does for a living. He thinks back to his video camera and he says, oh, actually, I'm a filmmaker and I might be working on a film while I'm here in this little town. Yeah, that's the ticket, that's what it is.
Speaker 3: Yeah. They ask if he's shooting now and he says yeah, possibly, totally possibly.
Speaker 2: And then in the next scene, George is walking home. He's going back to the hotel and the bar, not Denise, but the bar patron she was talking to pulls up beside him in her car and she's like, you know, hey, you know what, I used to act in porn twenty years ago. She assumes he's a porn director, and he's like, why would you assume that I don't make porn? And she's like, well, you don't look like you work in real film, and he says, I do work in real film, don't you see my killer style? And she calls him a loser and drives away. But back in his hotel room, George is about to start working in real film. So he's lying in bed, playing with the video camera, and across the room from him, hanging on the back of the chair where it will often be in these little scenes, is the jacket, and he frames it with his camera and he starts talking, and as he talks, there are these little modulations of his voice, as if in different sentences it might actually be different people talking, if you know what I mean. His mouth is always moving, but he's like doing little different voices. So he says, hey, you, where are you from? I come from Italy. I come from Italy. The jacket is Italian, by the way, it comes from Italy. And then he says, that's good from Italy. You're so classy. You look great on camera, and who are you. I'm your new owner. I think we'll make a nice team. I'm fine with being teammates, but I'm the one in charge. Okay.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: He takes a minute here to kind of figure out what the Jacket's voice is. It starts off a little higher and it slowly falls to a calmer place.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's right. I didn't think about it that way, but you're right. He's like experimenting. He's like, what does the jacket sound like? And the jacket actually has a different voice than George, though he's again his mouth is always moving, so he's the one talking, but the voice he does for the jacket is lower and more authoritative and confident, self assured and decisive. Totally. So anyway, he closes the camera and he says good night to the jacket, goes to sleep, and then later that night there's a little moment where there's like a loud crashing sound. George comes out into the hall to investigate what was that, but there's no answer, So we'll get follow up on that later. So the next day we see George go to the atm wearing his jacket, of course, and he tries to get money out, but no money is forthcoming, and he's very mad. He digs some food out of a trash can and starts eating it while this boy stands watching him from across the alley, and he yells at the boy to get lost.
Speaker 3: Yeah. The boy's just looking at him completely blankly.
Speaker 2: Doesn't say anything, just stands there, stonefaced. Yeah. And then after this, George stops at a book shop. He checks out a book about filmmaking, and then he shoplifts it by stuffing it into his jacket. The jacket's just coming through on all levels. And then next he goes to the bank and he speaks to a worker there. He finds out that he can't withdraw money from his bank account because his wife has placed a security hold on the account. This morning. This was I think, after he withdrew seventy five hundred euros the day before to buy the jacket, and George does not take this well. Back at the hotel, he showers while talking to the jacket, and the jacket is kind of watching him while he's rinsing his body with the detachable shower head. And he's like, don't worry, I'll find us some money. I'm going to take care of us. And then later back at the same bar as he was at the night before, George talks with Denise the bartender. She is interested in what kind of film work he's doing, because she herself is an amateur film editor. She talks about how she enjoys re editing other people's finished movies just for fun. For example, she says she took pulp fiction directed by Quentin Tarantino and put all the scenes in chronological order to discover that it sucked. And there are plenty of things that should be read flags about George in this conversation, like he asks her if she has a special machine that allows her to put the scenes of a film in order, and she says no, she uses a computer like everyone else. But she says that film editing is her passion and she would love to do it for a living. So here she is meeting an actual filmmaker, and she clearly he sees an opportunity. I think she's so excited about what this could mean for her that she's maybe just looking past the red flags.
Speaker 3: I love the exchange of her saying I'd love to do it as my real job, in George's response being something along the lines of they really are amazing jobs. For sure.
Speaker 2: There are a number of moments that are of really good comedy where what happens is you would expect in another script that George would come up with some kind of funny bluff or lie, but what he actually does is fail to come up with anything to say, so he just says like, they are amazing jobs. So later we see George walking home and arguing with himself or maybe arguing with the jacket about whether he should should have claimed to be a movie director or not. You see him having some kind of you know, moral dissent within himself. He's like, maybe I shouldn't be lying about this. But then he he also defends himself to himself, saying, a guy who films is like a guy who makes a film. You could say here a filmmaker. Yeah. So, back at his hotel room, George is trying to read the book about filmmaking that he stole from the store, but the Jacket hanging on the chair across the room just keeps calling out to him. And again we can see that whenever the jacket is speaking. George is the one talking. He moves his own mouth, but he's giving this different voice to the jacket, the deeper, more confident, less emotional than his own voice is kind of more monotone, and the jacket interrupts his reading to ask him, do you want to know my greatest dream? Here we get into the here the stews really cooking now. The Jacket's greatest dream is to be the only jacket in the world. I want us to be able to walk the streets without seeing other jackets. Well, George confesses this is perfect because his greatest dream is to be the only person in the world who can wear a jacket, and the Jacket asks, kind of ominously, how are we going to realize this stream?
Speaker 3: George, Yeah, an ominous cut to a deer after, how do you intend to realize this dream? I wish I could convey His conversations with the jacket in words over a podcast. They're just so goofy. He's trying to tell the Jacket that they can talk later while he's reading, but the jacket successfully gets him to talk right now, and he like closes the book and tosses it aside. In exasperation, like as if he has to stop reading and listen to this jacket. Yes, as if he's not completely in control of the entire situation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really good. Okay. So next thing is there's a scene with George discussing his payment problems with the hotel manager, and George finds out that the first clerk he talked to, the guy the day before, the one to whom he gave his gold wedding ring, has died. He died by suicide two nights before. Bizarrely, the new guy at the hotel desk tells George that the clerk's body is being stored in one of the hotel rooms until the undertaker arrives, and that the room is open if George would like to go say goodbye. So George goes to the room and the guy is laying there with a giant bullet hole in his face. But George gets fixated on something. He's not looking really at the dead guy. He's looking at in the clerk's hands. There is a hat. It's clasped over his midsection. It is a wide brimmed Fedora style hat made of some kind of leather swayed material and George pries the hat out of the dead man's hands and investigates the tag on the inside and it says one hundred percent deer skin, and George goes ah bingo, and then he's trying it on in the mirror. It's killer style, so he steals it. He also takes his ring back. He has to like use his mouth to get it off the dead guy's hand, and then leaves the ring with the new hotel clerk as collateral.
Speaker 3: Once again, the scene with him putting on the hat in the mirror just gets me every time. This is where he crosses into total goofball territory. He looks like a like a store brand Indiana Jones, and he just looks so psyched about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Killer style. So after getting the hat, he has another meeting with Denise the bartender. He spins out some lies to make it sound like he's in the middle of a big, expensive production. He's like, oh, yeah, my producers, they're stuck in Siberia filming the big fight scene and I can't get they can't get cell reception. But he tells her great news, I do not yet have an editor for my film. Though he accidentally says creditor, and I don't have a creditor. I don't know if there's supposed to be some kind of double meaning there, But she's like, do you mean editor? And he's like, oh, yeah, yeah, you can have the job. She's very excited and agrees, but doesn't he want to see her work first? No, no need. He trusts her, but she does need to take off her jacket, and she's immediately suspicious. She's like, wait a minute, are you trying to get me to strip or something? He promises or no, no, no, nothing like that, nothing sexual. It's just very important to him that he be the only person who gets to wear a jacket.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's as important to me as editing is to you, Bravo.
Speaker 2: And so she's suspicious, but she really wants this job, so she agrees, and once the jacket is off, you can see George relaxes. He kind of like settles down, like okay, and he gives her something. It is a cassette from his video camera. He tells her that it is stuff for her to edit, and she's like, okay, I need to copy the script though, and he's like, yeah, we'll talk about that. We'll talk about that later. So somebody stole my credit card, and next thing, they're in an ATM and she's getting money out to loan him. Of course, the producers will reimburse her once they get cell phone reception again after they get off of the glacier in Siberia. And then we see Denise at home getting out some old video equipment, cassette reader and maybe a digitizer of some kind.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's right. She has to diget out of a drawer. And I'm a little less sure on this than the camera, but I think it's a Sony gv HD seven hundred hdv video walk man. Yeah, it seems to be like a VCR with a built in screen that allows for some basic editing. I was going to look a little more into this thing, but I got totally sidetracked by the camera rabbit hole.
Speaker 2: So yeah, she starts reviewing his footage. She's seeing like scenery of the mountain beside the village, shots of the fringe on the deerskin jacket, George posing in the mirror with the jacket, and Denise seems amused. George meanwhile, it's time to go shopping shopping spree and what is he going to get? Is he going to get some more cassette tapes? No, he gets some deer skin boots, Killer style, and it's time for an incredible montage. So with the deerskin jacket, the deer skin hat, and the boots, George starts filming scenes. He hires, He puts out ads, and he hires local non actors to be in his movie. He tells them to bring all the jackets they own, and then he films them putting the jackets into the trunk of his car and vowing never to wear a jacket again as long as they live. This is what we saw in the cold opening of the film, and this is where we get that amazing exchange where one guy, after doing this says, sorry, but isn't your movie weird? And he says, it's ut weird, it's amazing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can't make sense of it now, but it.
Speaker 2: Rocks, But it rocks. And then once the scene is over and the actors have been paid, George steals the jackets. He just drives away with them while people are like, wait, I need my need that back. So after one of these shoots, George notices a kid watching him it's the same kid who was staring at him while he was eating out of the garbage can earlier, and George yells at him to go away, but the kid just stands there, stone faced, looking at him, and then getting really annoyed, George picks up a rock and throws it at the kid, hitting him in the face. Oh, and then also says to the actor the jacket doner, who's just standing there, He says, you saw nothing, and then George drives away.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is kind of what I was referring to before about there being one notable exception to people buying his whole persona this kid that does not even really seem to be questioning him as much as he's staring blankly, and George is projecting something onto this kid.
Speaker 2: I feel like all of the other characters either they buy into George enough and like they either kind of play along with him, or they ignore him and move on. His kid is the only person who doesn't do one of those two things. This kid is continuing to engage with George, but not by like playing along with him, instead just by staring at him and making him feel weird.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's a better way of putting it. I agree.
Speaker 2: Oh, but also the actor as George is driving away, he's like, wait, what about my jackets? There in new trunk and George says, you swore never to wear a jacket again. I have filmed proof their mind now. I think he says, your f to their mind now. And then there's a there's a creepy scene outside a movie theater I like this where he like pulls up alongside a guy walking in the snow. He's filming the guy. The guy's wearing a jacket. He's confused about what George is doing, and then we cut away before we see how it resolves. We'll see more of this scene later. But then George meets back up with Denise at the bar, and she has been editing film the stuff he already gave her. I don't think this includes the new stuff, all of the jacket theft and the pledges of never again. It's the earlier tape. And she says she likes his movie. She says it's like a mockumentary. So we get the sense that maybe she's going along with it because she thinks it's supposed to be funny, or she's interpreting it in a different spirit than he is. But she does say it's hard to figure out what to do with the footage without a script, but she put it together in a way that made sense to her, and she says, this is just my interpretation, but the real subject of the film is the jacket, or the fact that we all hide behind a shell to protect ourselves from the world. And he seems intrigued. He asks her, should that be what it's about? Good question? Should that be what it's about? And then next thing, they're like back at the ATM and she's trying to withdraw more funds to give him, but I think she's maxed out at this point. She can't get more than like eighty euros. And he gets angry and starts freaking out and eventually just says chow and storms off into the night. So here's where things are about to start getting darker. George later reviews the footage he took of the man in the street by the movie theater, and we see more of the conversation. George starts badgering the man to take off his jacket, the man refuses. They become increasingly hostile to each other before the guy eventually says George will have to kill him to make him do it, and then the filming stops and in the room, the Jacket speaks to George. The Jacket says, the plan is not working at this rate. It's going to take a thousand years for us to have the only jacket in the world. And George tries to argue, He's like, our dream is not reasonable. There are so many jackets it will take a lot of time to accomplish. But the Jacket, after a long pause, says, I know what we'll do, and George then began taking apart the appliances. He disassembles the ceiling fan in his hotel room and removes one of its blades, and then goes out driving in the night, leaning out of the door of his car, dragging the fan blade along the road as he drives, and you can hear it grinding and see it like shooting up sparks in the dark. And I was like, wait, is he sharpening it? And yes, in fact, that is exactly what he's doing. Next there is like a there's a watermelon chopping scene where we learned he has turned this fan blade into a deadly machete and he drives around some more, eating the watermelon. Eventually he finds a couple of guys standing outside talking in the snow. He drives up to them, gets out, approaches with his fan blade, and asks if they would like to help him realize his dream. Then we cut away. So here's where things sort of take a twist, because next thing we see is Denise. She receives a letter in her mailbox, along with a drawing of George in the jacket, presumably by George.
Speaker 3: Yeah. They show this just sort of briefly, and I love this drawing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the letter goes Denise. Despite not having money, I shot a scene tonight. By the sweat of my brow. Enjoyed these images for they may be the last. I think something awful must have happened in Siberia for the producers to leave me with no news. I doubt I can finish this film without the financing it deserves, unless, of course, you can find a way to help. And then he includes another cassette tape of himself. On this tape, he has filmed himself going on a murder spree, whacking people with his fan sword and then stealing the jackets of the people He kills. Denise watches this footage and she is thrilled. She's watching it there. Her eyes are big, and she says to herself. Yes. So she comes to his hotel room and she's like, you know, George, I saw the new footage. It's wild. She says, I'm into it. And before they discuss any further, he does make her take off her jacket.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's the room, he says, you know why.
Speaker 2: But she is now, She's now all in on his film project. She's got an advance from her boss at the bar, so she has more money now. She also has brought a present for George, wrapped in newspaper. It is a pair of one hundred percent deer skin pants with fringes running down the leg. And George, he says, damn classy. I love my life. Thanks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 2: It sounds like a Facebook post somebody would make.
Speaker 3: I love that. She gives him the pants as an apology for my card maxing out yesterday.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. So they go on to discuss the project, and you know, for a while in the middle of the movie here we've been thinking like, oh no, poor Denise, like George is scamming her. Exploiting her, but the tables are kind of turning. Denise is like, Okay, I think I can get a lot more money soon, enough to finance it's the whole movie. But she's like, George, I need you to shoot more footage so that I can edit a teaser. And then she starts giving him notes on style. She's like, you got a position, the camera closer to the subject, needs more action, more blood. Is she giving the orders now? Yes, she is, and she hands him some money and it seems like she may be the boss of this film suddenly. So at this point, George is Jason Vorhees. He goes out into the night following random people, filming them, killing them with the fan blade, chopping the heads in half, like stabbing them through the guts and everything, and of course always stealing their jackets. And he's like wearing a rain slicker, of course to avoid getting blood on his deer skin. And there were some funny music choices, I mean throughout the film, but especially here. There's groovy lounge music in this montage where he's whacking people with the machete, and eventually the jacket starts talking at George while he's asleep. It's like saying his name over and over as if it's impatient. He's not moving fast enough.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my friend Ian pointed this part out to me is maybe secretly the funniest part of the movie, and just the fact that George is either not waking up or pretending to not wake up while he like voices the Jacket trying to rouse him from his sleep.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's earlier. It's like when he was doing the voice of the Jacket trying to get his attention to make him stop reading and he has to put the book away. Yeah, so George, he's out with his camera. There's another scene where he like directs a man who operates an excavator and he makes this guy dig a big hole in the ground. And I was thinking, what is he going to bury a bunch of bodies in there? Nope, he's gonna bury the jackets. He's gonna get rid of all the jackets. His car is full of them. The bodies he just leaves wherever. So oh, and also he sort of beats and abuses the jackets before he covers them with earth, Like he's beating one of the jackets with a pipe, and then he covers them up with earth and then he but there's kind of an interesting moment after this where he leans over a rushing mountain stream and drinks from the water like a wild animal, like a deer. Yeah. So George meets with Denise yet again. Now she's got a ton of cash. She says, her father sold his butcher shop and now she's loaded. She has fifty thousand euros and she announces that she is officially taking over production. She's the producer. Now what can he do about it? She's bringing the money. How can he argue? She says he needs guidance in his work. It's a mess, and she's going to have to instruct him on the art of filmmaking. He's frustrated. He kind of tries to resist, but he also just wants the money, and she explains, look, the money is not for you, it is for the film. This is business here, and she says that in fact, she knows he's been lying about being a filmmaker, lying about the producers in Siberia. And there's a great cover here where he's like, I'm not lying. They sent a fax this morning telling me they had died in an avalanche. That's why I couldn't reach them and I don't know. Something's not lighting up there. They died, but they sent a fax and he says we But she's known since the beginning that it was all a fraud. And she says, you're nothing, no one, no producers, just a guy alone. He points out that she is in fact alone too, and then she says everyone is alone. Oh good, come back. But she does want to make a film, and that's what they're gonna do. She says, we can be alone together and we can make a great movie. Now. He tentatively agrees, but first he needs to do something. He needs deer skin gloves, so she's got to buy them for him. So the next thing, they're like at a clothing shop and he's trying on deer skin gloves in the mirror, getting all hyped up, and Denise is encouraging him. She's like, yeah, yeah, and the shop worker asks if he's interested maybe in trying on some synthetic leather gloves. He says, do I look like the synthetic type? Denise says, don't you see his killers style? So next George and Denise, he's like fully suited now head to toe deer skin, and they go out driving on the mountain roads and George he stops at one point along the highway and gives the camera to Denise and tells her to film him. So he climbs up on a hill beside the highway and dances around, showing off his glorious head to toe deer skin outfit and saying over and over again for Denise to film him. And then suddenly, from out of nowhere, a shot rings out and George falls over dead. He's been hitting the head by a bullet. And we see from far away a man holding a rifle who shot George. It was the father of the boy who George hit with the rock the other day. The boy is in the car with like a bandage on his head.
Speaker 3: And he's sitting there eating a sandwich.
Speaker 2: I didn't notice the sandwich. I should go back and look for that. Yeah, eating a sandwich at the execution. Yeah, But anyway, so George gets hit with the bullet. He falls down and Denise keeps filming. She approaches George's body and begins to take off his deer skin. She takes off the gloves and the jacket, filming the whole time then she puts the jacket on herself and looks into the camera and it's, you know, there's a transformation. It's like I am deer skin now. And that's the end of the main actions. She dons the deer skin, we get the credits. There is a post credits scene where we see video footage playing on a TV screen and it shows a herd of deer wandering on a ridge in the woods, and then the camera turns back and we see George is holding it. But after this we go to the closing credits music, which is a great needle drop of I can't remember if we mentioned this already on Mike, but it's a wonderful song that I was not familiar with before, called Don't Make the Good Girls Go Bad by Della Humphrey. It's awesome. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I really enjoyed this too, And I wasn't sure how to exactly how to take that post credit scene. He's also sort of like either pointing or reaching back towards the deer.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I didn't know exactly what to make of it either. I mean, if it's like he was so he's putting on these deer skinned products, so in one sense, he's putting on a deer suit, but you could also it's always like he's becoming a deer, but you could also think that he's consuming deer. I mean, like deer have to be killed to make these products, and so he is. You know, he could be looking at them in a predatory way, like he wants to harvest all of their skin and wear it all. Or if I don't know, I don't know what the sense of identification there is it a predatory gaze and a gaze of identification and becoming like I wouldn't be you. I'm not quite sure what is it George wants is? It seems to me what he wants. You know, you could imagine versions of this story that have a more mature and meaningful and identifiable sense of longing, you know, people who want kind of freedom, or people in middle age who are unhappy with their choices and want another chance at life and things like that. So maybe you can see little flashes of that here and there in George. But it seems like the main thing he wants is killer style. He wants to be He wants to look cool and be seen as cool, and there is a fundamental kind of childishness and like boyish immaturity to him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he makes a lot of Jacket first decisions. Was the way I kept thinking about it, Like, I agree with you that, and I feel like I started off maybe even the first or second time I watched this movie. I watched it a couple times just to prepare for this, But on my initial viewing of it, I think I read a little more into it, and I saw it as something more akin to this person obsessed with like the identity of being a filmmaker or an artist over the substance of actually doing that art or that filmmaking.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, okay.
Speaker 3: And when he does start to do some of the work, he likes to do the stuff that will reinforce his identity as Jacket where exactly all jacket first decisions.
Speaker 2: I can see what you're saying there, Yeah, there are. I mean, people have vocational or artistic dreams for themselves or is like I want to be a filmmaker, I want to be an artist or a writer or you know, a musician or something like that. And I think a lot of those desires really can be decomposed into very different kinds of desires. Like somebody who wants to be a musician. Could be somebody who loves the act of like playing and writing music. They like being in the process. It's like the doing that they're excited about. Or somebody could be like, I want to be a musician because I want to be up on stage and look cool and have people think I'm cool. And you know, I want to have my identity associated with the things that I associate with being a musician. And those are like different desires. And I'm sure that in you know, many people, they can sort of intermingle in different ad mixtures, like very different amounts. But I think you're exactly right that there's something in here about that that like he he does get very hung up on this idea of being a filmmaker. But like like Denise points out, like he doesn't he doesn't seem to be paying any attention to style. Like he's not paying attention to the art of filmmaking and doesn't seem to care much about it. It's more about being able to say he's a filmmaker in service of being the coolest looking guy in the world, the only guy in the world who can wear this jacket.
Speaker 3: Right, I mean, the whole reason he even says he's as a filmmakers. It's the first thing he thinks of when he's put in a situation where he has to justify why he's wearing the jacket.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, you know. By contrast, it seems like Denise really does love the doing of the filmmaking, Like when she's talking about enjoying being an editor, it sounds like she likes being in the process, even if it is not necessarily a great end product, like she talks about how much she liked re editing pulp fiction when she says the final product sucked, right, yeah, yeah, And one more thing before we wrap up, I wanted to come back to it. Does seem also like something here is about an interaction between these these pursuits and loneliness. Right. I think we talked about this at the beginning, that Denise and George both seem like characters who aren't not having fulfilling, functional relationships. They're both they both seem like loners or lonely people in a way, and not necessarily by choice. And it does seem like that is contributing to or manifesting in some way as these bizarre obsessions that end up kind of blossoming into aberrant behavior.
Speaker 3: Yeah, totally. And to Pew himself said that we're all a little bit George. Any of us can have that moment where something snaps and everything collapses into obsession.
Speaker 2: Okay, does that do it for deer Skin?
Speaker 3: I think so.
Speaker 2: Jj. I really hope you have enjoyed your first turn on Mike on Weird House Cinema, and I hope you'll do it again in the future.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure. Is fun talking about this movie with you.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I'm glad you picked it. I don't know if I would have seen it otherwise, but it's a hit. All right. Well, I guess that does it. So Hey, if you are new to the show, let me explain a little bit about what we do here. So our main show is Stuff to Blow your mind. That is our core science and culture show, where most episodes have something to do with science, but we also have a kind of interdisciplinary approach. We like to talk about history, mythology, and religion, literature and things like that, and those are our Tuesday Thursday episodes. Every week on Fridays we do this show Weird House Cinema. We're usually my co host Rob Lamb and I just talk about a weird movie, and they can. These movies can be old or new, good or bad, well known or obscure. The only real criterion is that it has to be weird. So we do these every Fridays. On Wednesdays, we do a short form episode on Saturdays, and Mondays we feature older episodes of the show. So yeah, if you're new, stick around, listen to some more, and of course subscribe wherever you get your podcasts. You can also if you would like to get just the Weird House Cinema episodes by themselves, without everything else, you can look up Weird House Cinema and I think you can subscribe to that as its own playlist or feed. Though of course I encourage you to check out all of our offerings. If you want to follow us on social media, we're on some of those I think we're on I think I think we've been building up a new Instagram page after we got somehow locked out of our old one a while back. We're on some of the other socials you can find us on Letterboxed. Letterboxed is a sort of community film sharing site. You can find us there under Weird House and Let's see I guess that's it for now, so JJ thanks once again, thanks as always for being our excellent audio producer, but double thanks today for joining me on Mike. I really really appreciate it and I had a great time talking to you and let's see. Oh last thing, of course, if you would like to get in touch with us with feedback on this episode or any other, to suggest a topic for the future, or just to say hello, you can email us at contact at stuff to Blow your Mind dot com.
Speaker 1: Stuff to Blow Your Mind is production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from my heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio appp podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.