Speaker 1: The volume.
Speaker 2: The NBA playoffs are heating up. Man, they have been so good. I know it's over, but Lakers Nuggets may have been a five game series. It was great. Nicks sixers amazing. Why don't you sign up for the DraftKings sports book app takes ninety seconds the official sports betting partner of the NBA. If you're in DraftKings. Once you sign up, you got to check this out. New customers bet five bucks to get one hundred and fifty bucks in bonus bets instantly great proposition right five bucks get one hundred and fifty bucks. Download the DraftKings sports Book app. The codes colins c O L I N. It's me CO L I N really quick, really easy. If you've never bet sports before, check it out. Really makes the games fun. The code is coling. New customers get one hundred and fifty bucks in bonus best by betting five only on DraftKings. The Crown is yours.
Speaker 3: Gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler or in West Virginia, visit one eight hundred gambler dot net. In New York call eight seven seven eight hope and wire text hope and y four six seven three six nine in Connecticut. Help is available for problem gambling call eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothill Casino when resorting. Kansas twenty one and over age varies by jurisdiction, Void and Ontario one. No sweat bet per new customer issued as one bonus bet based on amount of initial losing bet. Bonus bets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issue. Ince See dkang dot com slash promos for deposit wagering and eligibility restrictions, terms and responsible gaming resources.
Speaker 2: Welcome into part two of the podcast with Nick Right. I do think one more injury and the Bengals have to draft another quarterback near the top, first, second, third round. I think that's becoming a reality. This is why I defended I said this today about Michael Pennix. Last year, the Falcons had no good quarterbacks and couldn't win a bad division. This year they'll have the two best quarterbacks, and you're complaining about it, like sixty six quarters played.
Speaker 3: We're getting to it.
Speaker 2: We're getting to a point with Burrow that it's a real discussion you've got to have at least a b backup. Now, Brady didn't like it because he never got hurt with Garoppolo and big Ben. Similarly, Hey, I'm still I can still chug along. My injuries are fine. But I think Burrow is going to have to own this team needs a backup and not a sixth rounder, maybe a third rounder when we have other needs. So I think that's a real discussion that Joe and the Bengals have to have.
Speaker 1: For sure, you mentioned Pinnix, so I'm glad you mentioned that because I want to talk about both those quarterbacks for a moment. I have not understood the tiny violins for Kirk Cousins that have been out. Yeah you know, do I here's the deal man, and this is gonna sound shitty and I don't mean it too, but it's honest. Kirk Cousins is not good enough to get everything he wants. That's the thing. If Kirk Cousins is good, he is not good enough to get so do I. I want to play in the worst division in football, no problem. I want to play in a dome. We can do that. I want to have another massive payday with one hundred million guaranteed. Okay, we can do that too. I want to have a lot of weapons. You know what we've got that. I don't want to have any competition whatsoever. Sorry, Kurk can't give you that one, Like you don't like the He is good enough to get a lot, but not everything. And when you are something of of football mercenary, if you will, you have taken the money and moved whatever. And to his credit, there's a trade off and everything in life. One of those things is you haven't built up the equity within the organization for them to be like, oh man, he's gonna hate this. They just met you, like sorry, Like the there is and the person I feel for in this is Pinnix that like the if if if sports broadcasting worked the way the NFL does, And I'm coming out of Syracuse and I'm considered one of the three or four best in the world, and I'm like, oh man, there's this spot in this radio station in Las Vegas that might pick me that has openings all over the place. There's a radio station in Denver that might pick me that is openings all over the place. And then all of a sudden, I get picked by a radio station in Atlanta, and they're like, buddy, all our shows are filled up, but we think in two years maybe you'll have one. Be like, you gotta be kidding me. All these other places wanted me to play like I'm by the way, I went to grad school, I'm old, Like you're talking about me, like I'm not gonna get on the air till I'm twenty six. Like this sucks, and so I everyone was like, oh man, Kirk so disappointed. And I was sitting there thinking, like I get that he gets the money or whatever, but pinnis that differences me to being the eighth pick. The thirteenth pick is not a ton of money. He was gonna be get first round guaranteed money no matter what, and now he's got to sit so and again, maybe it ends up being good for him, and he's in a dome and he has the weapons. But if we're gonna feel badly for either of these two quarterbacks, it's not the guy who just left his team got one hundred million bucks coming off in Achilles. It's not him that I feel badly for it. Yeah, I mean, I would say Kirk cousins. And there's people like this in every industry has monetized his position to the highest possible levels. Brady took pay cut, Tim Duncan took pay cuts in the history of football. Kirk Cousins has monetized his talent to the greatest level and deserves great respect for that. But to your point, Kirk Brady, yeah, Tom Brady can say Bruce Arians go upstairs. Yeah, Kirk Cousins isn't gonna say that to a right. That's the thing is, you don't if you the only people who get everything they want in their work life are the absolute apex best and if you are the if you are the very best in your field, you can kind of write the contract. If you are that still super valuable. But there's seven or eight people better than you, then you're gonna get most of what you want, but not all of it. And I just think that's normal. Like I it doesn't. I didn't, And I'm an empathetic person. I can. I can cry at the good enough tweet, you know, I don't know. Somebody put out a tweet the other day. It was like my dad wrote me these letters every morning before school growing up. I read it. I teared up. I'm like, oh my god, like, I really think I'm an empathetic person, but I didn't feel a moment where I'm like, oh, poor Kirk Cousins. It's like, what because you don't want to because you deserve to not have to compete, and you're not even really competing, Like it's your job. You're really gonna have to screw up to not have it be your job. I don't get it. I just don't get it.
Speaker 2: I have an interesting topic I'm gonna throw at you. So I'm divorced and my ex wife and I have a fine relationship. We don't talk much anymore, but it was always very.
Speaker 1: Cordial, respectful. Sure, so.
Speaker 2: I totally get that it's a roast. I totally get it. But I do hear the Giselle jokes and I think, to myself, that's a little rough for me. Like I thought about this.
Speaker 1: I couldn't believe he signed up for it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I thought if somebody wanted to roast me, the first thing I would think about is I got to protect my kids, Right, That's the first thing I would say. That's almost the first thing I think about always is how is this going to land for my kids? And when I listened to the jokes. I thought a lot of it was hilarious, but I think I would have said, hey, don't. I don't want you going after.
Speaker 1: My kids then, right, But that's but that's so here's the thing that but it's a roast. So I don't watch this is a I'm sure there's a word for it. I I don't watch roasts because there's a level of like that secondhand embarrassment thing is like something I really don't deal with. Well, Like there are certain times like that we were talking about Curb earlier. There would be certain moments in Curb where like I literally like I turn away, like I'm like, oh, I feel so even though it's make believe and it's someone else, something internally I feel uncomfortable with. So a roast where And it's not that I don't watch roast because I'm offended by the jokes. It's because there are certain things where I feel so badly for the person involved that it makes me feel uncomfortable. It's why I was shocked it existed. It's I just was shot. Like I get why comedians do it to comedians, and I get why fringe. I don't want to be rude. I get why Pete Rose would sign up for one, like yeah, you know what I mean, I mean the spotlight it's a check, you know what I mean, Like I get those things. I don't under like. I was shocked that Tom signed up for it because it just feels like there's so many landmines and so much like you were saying, I didn't, I thought, yeah, there there are a lot of people that seems like and I'm not really an expert to talk about this because again, like I didn't. I've seen some clips, so I didn't watch it because I just don't enjoy that. But it seems like there were a lot of people that were not there that feel like that was not fun for me or my family, you know what I mean, all of it, and so I don't. I also was kind of shocks. I was like, did Tom admit to the flightgate in this thing? Was that? Like, like what, I didn't understand a lot of it? But he listen, he I mean he the What didn't surprise me from the coverage of it was that Belichick came off great. What didn't surprise me is that people said, you know what I mean, that he came off great and did a great job. That that sound that checks out to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'm not I'm not blaming anybody for the Gazelle jokes. I just thought, ooh, that I would say I would.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: That was the one where I was like, eh, God, I don't.
Speaker 1: And I'm like you.
Speaker 2: I think Jeffrey Ross and Nicki Glazer are great at what they do. I I can't believe you have secondhand embarrassment. I suffer from the same thing. Like I don't like to see people bullied or hugely embarrassed.
Speaker 1: I would rather I know this sounds absurd. I so I take the subway every day, and you from when I pick up my daughter from school, I take subway home and the subway platform you go downstairs, busy platform. As insane as this sounds, I would rather slip and fall on the subway stairs then have the person in front of me slip and fall on the subway stairs, because like when I like, I don't really care, like I don't like I'm I'm not embarrassed easily for myself, like that's okay, like people saw me fall, I don't care. But for some reason the thing of like, oh, that person now thinks I was looking at him, they are embarrassed. I really really it makes me feel super uncomfortable, the second hand embarrassment thing, and so it's just yeah, so I just don't enjoy I appreciate that.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: I will tell you this, this is an unbelievable anecdote that I'm about to give you. So Jamal Charles, who's gonna end up being one of the greatest running backs ever to not make the Hall of Fame. So you got totally screwed by the Chiefs while he was there. It's just an all time player. He's from Port Arthur, Texas and was my favorite player when I was covering the Chiefs in the early twenty tens, and I was really associated with him because basically every time the Chiefs lost, I'd be like, I don't know about you guys. I would have given the ball to Jamal Drells. More Brody Froyle is the quarterback handed off to the guy who's getting seven yards of carry, you idiots. So when I was in Houston and after Kansas City, Jamal was being inducted to the Port Arthur Sports Hall of Fame, and they said, hey, Nick, will you host it? Will you be the host of the event, like, yeah, of course, and be honest, this is great. And the guy put it on He's like, it's a roast. I'm like, it's a roast. They're like, yes, it's a roast. But again, I'm even though I said I don't watch them, this is I'm like, okay, there's no comedians here, but Andy Reid is there. Earl Thomas from Texas is there, so his teammates are there whatever it is, and they're like, yes, it's a roast. Like okay, so I'll you know, right, eight minutes of jokes is unbelievable. I don't think I've ever told the story publicly. There's a video somewhere. So I get up there and I am I think telling great jokes, Like one of them was God damn man, don't you I'm telling you this. Do not isolate this and put this on social media, I said. I turned to Andy Reid and I said something about how I'm not going to tell the exact joke, but how his clock management style reminded me of my sex life in college. There was something. There was a joke there. You people can figure it out. It was a good joke. He didn't like it. I said, something about Earl Thomas and the Legion of Boom whatever it is, and nobody's really laughing that much, but these are good jokes. And then every other person that came up there did not get the memo this was a roast. They got the memo that this was a toast, and no one told me jokes and everyone just talked about it, right Jamal Carls. So I just looked like the biggest asshole in the world. I started the thing. I'm just I'm just killing everybody. Then everyone's like, here's how Jamal's changed my life. No jokes. I'm like, you've gotta be kidding me. You have gotta be kidding me. And the guy who did it, the guy who set it up, I'm like, I didn't get like misread the email. I was like, no, man, He's like, I'm sorry, Like I told everyone it was a roast, but whatever, they didn't go with it. So I just looked like the worst guy ever. Like Andy I think was legitimately Matt because Andy's and Andy and I are really cool now. But Andy, when I then introduced him after the joke, he came over and maybe it's just how he shakes hands, and he is a big guy, but it was not like a firm handshake. It was like, I'm gonna hurt your hand with this handshake, you smart ass kid making fun of my clock management. So maybe that's why I don't like roasts, because one of the most embarrassing nights of my life was me thinking I was at a roast and it was actually a toast and I just looked like a bad guy.
Speaker 2: That is an all time story.
Speaker 1: You can include that, I know. I said, don't put it on social media. You can do whatever you want. Just maybe try to about the sex life in college thing. I have an image to uphold, but go ahead. But yeah, that is a real story. That's a true story.
Speaker 2: So we'll end on this. So Austin Rivers came out and said I could pick thirty NBA players and play in the NFL. JJ Watt fired back, and I said, today there are sports, and the NBA is included in this. Tennis, golf, baseball, basketball. There is a skill level that erodes very quickly if you don't stay on it. If you don't hit a baseball for two months, you're cooked. You're cooked. Basketball. When I was playing high school basketball into college every day. If I took a week off, my ball handling wasn't quite as good. And NFL is the one sport where you don't have to play college and you can be a Hall of Fame Antonio Gates. It's not a repetitive sport. Is in some instances mechanics for quarterback, yes, you're kicking, yes, But a lot of it is strength, brutality, physicality and raw at more than, yes, more than any other sport football, which is why so many of us play high school football and so many people participate. You can be big, you don't have to be fast. You can be a guard. You can only be able to kick, you can be a punter. Right Like, there's a bunch of different stuff that said, I don't think basketball players have any idea how much getting tackled hurts. So if you ever go to the sideline of an NFL game and watch Christian McCaffrey get hit, you cannot believe he can get up. You cannot believe he's not severely injured. It is a car wreck on every tackle, So you should watch. I mean, well, you obviously know these guys. How Elong's can kids you know Chris and Jake long. You know, so they have a podcast green Light and by the way, you own a podcast business or an audio business, you like.
Speaker 1: I think, I think they are great. I think Chris is Chris did. He tweeted, he said, emergency rant coming on Austin Rivers and Colin. When I tell you this is some of my favorite ten minutes of media in the last month. You have to listen to it because his entire take is that not that guys couldn't do it, but like because they're not good enough at football, but I mean, and I'm gonna not do it justice. He's like, Okay, Austin Rivers, you think you guys can come play football. Well, here's the deal. You got fifty three guys on the team. There's three massage therapists. Oh your body hurts, well, the massuse available at four o'clock. Why don't you get a lift in and shut up? Like you're used to that in the NBA. He's like, Oh, in the NBA, your coaches, how do they talk to you? My coaches mf me and then tell me to go lay in a queen size Bettt training camp with another guy in my room. He's like, he does a whole thing. He's like, what's your flight's like? Because for forty of us, we're in the coach seats on a plane. When's the last time you His whole take was not you wouldn't be good enough, but that our lives are just different. Our coaches coach us, Our practices are hard. He was like, what happens in the NBA when somebody gets hurt? Do they cancel shoot around? Because in the NFL they move the drill, they just move. They're like guys getting carted off. It is a great rant. With that said, I came up with eight guys. I want to know. I didn't know you're going to talk about this. I came up with eight guys and their position. I guess it's seven guys, all right. So Anthony Edwards could play running backer safety, I am certain of it. I am certain Anthony Edwards could do it. Young Lebron would be the greatest tight end in NFL history. I know, I know it's true. Westbrook could play in the NFL. I'm not sure the position. Maybe ad drusher, maybe safety. Josh Hart I think can be a wide receiver just based on his rebounding this playoffs, Chris Long said, he I'm just gonna trust him on this because I never would have thought of it, but he played the position. He was like, I've been watching the playoffs. I could make Jalen Brown a pass rusher. I'm like, okay, I believe you. He was like, he was like, he has great bend. He seems a little mean. He's like, I could do it. And then and this is gonna sound mean, and I am not being mean. I am simply saying he would have to put on weight, which I think he can, and then all of a sudden it would be a benefit. He has great feet, great athleticism. I think Zion could potentially be an an awesome lineman. He's six ' six, he obviously, you know what I mean, can carry it big, like Jason Peters was a tight end that went to it. So I do think where I think Austin Rivers had a current of accuracy is there are certainly more NBA guys that the There are probably five NBA guys that could be good NFL players, like good, like, hey, give me a year to train be a good NFL player. And I don't know that there's any NFL guys that could be really good NBA players because, like you said, your skill has atrophied. And if you're not over six ' six, it's all about skill, it's you know what I mean like And there's nobody that's six ten in the NFL to begin with.
Speaker 2: So I think the list you made would be shorter. But to give you an example, I think because football players are so thick, we forget how big they are. Go look at the video of Micah Parsons without his shirt on this week. He makes Aunt Edwards look like me. He is so big. I'll give you an example. There's an old photo of Michael Jordan standing next to Barry Bonds. He looks like a straw. Is that remember Michael playing baseball? He looked like he was effaciated.
Speaker 1: Now that's that. That part's fair, That part's fair work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, these NFL guys they regularly leg press five hundred and fifty pounds. That is when you watch Micah Parsons without a shirt on. My take is and there are times he is in engulfed by Trent Williams, just engulfed.
Speaker 1: So that parts So people do we all have a like our brain doesn't process how big NFL guys are and how tall NBA guys are. Our brain doesn't accept it, like, yeah, I mean you see around the office occasionally, I assume my son because he works the lot. You've seen him there. He is almost always the biggest guy in the room. He's you know, he's six three and a half, you know, probably two hundred pounds, maybe one ninety and in a room of regular people, he's an imposing cuts, an imposing figure. He is the exact same height and about ten pounds lighter than Steph Curry. And Steph Curry in the NBA looks like a little guy, and it's like, no, actually, Steph Curry's the size of a bouncer at a decent nightclub. It's like, you know what I mean, like the and so we everybody forgets how tall NBA guys actually are. That the guys in the when you're watching the basketball game and a guy looks like he's average height, he's six seven, and if you worked with someone who was six seven, you would gawk at them. And you're right about how just the raw strength of the average NFL player, that part is unco questioned, unquiet, which.
Speaker 2: And just the end of the long Brothers pointed out the physical and mental toughness to just get tackled by the strongest people in the country over and over and.
Speaker 1: Over, he said. He said he was just talking about guys who because who would just get folded He said he was naming NBA guys. He's like, you get folded up by like one of those camping tables, like, oh you're seven feet tall, well to your four feet tall now because you just got told in half. It's a great rant. It is shout out to him. Man. I know you and I are two people, two of the ten people in the world who appreciate a great rant as much as anybody. And this was a great rant by Chris Long. I highly enjoyed it. I do think there are a few though. I think there are a few guys who could do it. I think I do think Anthony Amberts could play safety, because I don't think safeties are the size of Micah Parsons just flying around like a missile. I think you could do He's twenty two years old. I think you can play safety. The Chiefs just drafted to get in the first round. It's one hundred and sixty pounds that guy do won't see Anthony Edwards coming over the middle just doesn't.
Speaker 2: I'll give you Lebron, We'll stop right, okay, Nick Wright, as always, buddy, it's great.
Speaker 1: Absolutely talk to you soon. Comby the volume.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much for listening. If you've enjoyed the podcast, take a moment rate and review