Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Howard two.
Speaker 2: On this Wednesday, Dan and the Dan Ants Dan Patrick Show, our good buddy Ross Tucker will stop my Charles Barkley will join us as well. We will check in with the North Carolina football team following the interview this Sunday with Bill Belichick and a little bit of his girlfriend there as well. Pacers close out the Bucks. The drama was late in the game and then after the game, which we discussed with Tyre's Halliburton's dad confronting Yannis. Piston's still alive. Celtic's close out the Magic and the Nuggets beat the Clippers. Tonight, Warriors at the Rockets. That's Game five. Timberwolves are five and a half point underdogs at the Lakers. I think Golden State might be an underdog tonight. They're a four point underdog against the Rockets. We did talk a little bit about the teams that were eliminated, certainly with the Bucks, and the future of Yannis in Milwaukee. I think it's a question that has to be asked to Yannis, and I think that was asked to him. He's not going to answer anything. I'm talking about ownership management, talking to him what does he want to do, because he might say, I want to stay here, you know, continue to build around me. I'm thirty years of age, I still have five you know, great years that we can still win another championship. I mean that would be the mindset. Now he might say and extend me too, and then you might go, do we want to do that? He's got one more year with Milwaukee and he's going to be really expensive.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: That's that's you know, we talk about these contracts where like Miles Garrett got forty million dollars. Now, if I'm Cleveland, I would have said, no, we can't give him forty million. We're not winning anything. It's like Pittsburgh with TJ. Watt. He's going to want forty million dollars a year, and then you have to say, are we close to winning? So certain guys earn a raise, but you have to also put it in the context of do we want to pay that? You might be worthy of that, but do we want to pay that? Cleveland with Miles Garrett, I wouldn't have done that. I would have made this a complete rebuild because they are an old team. You're going to have a quarterback who's forty, who might be your starting quarterback in Joe Flacco. You know your wide receivers, your running back. Everybody was older, and all of a sudden, you want to give Miles Garrett that kind of money. We'll talk about the Shador Sanders situation. There's some more information about that. I'll have that for you coming up in a little bit. We say good morning. If you're watching on Peacock, thank you. That's our streaming partner. You can watch all three hours if you like. Go to Danpatrick dot com click on the spirits tab. A special offer is available with select purchases of Tailgate Moonshine. Got a new Moonshine out for you, Danpatrick dot com. Stat of the Day is always brought to you by Panini America. U The phone number if you'd like to get in touch with the program eight seven seven three DP show Tyler sitting by to take your calls. Poll question for hour two and then we'll check in with the North Carolina football program.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well right now we've got up there. I'd like I'd most like to know the real story behind dot dot dot deflate gate benching Malcolm Butler or Bill and Jordan. That leads us to our next guest.
Speaker 2: Luke decc is the columnist sports columnist for the Roleigh News and Observer who joins us on the program. Luke, good morning. What was your reaction when you watch the interview on Sunday Morning with Bill and his girlfriend? Uh?
Speaker 5: The fact that they put in the clip of her objecting to talking about their meet cute. Like, if you're in the business, right you massage sources and can we talk about there's a not a quick pro quote, but a negotiation that happens there and you know that stuff does not make it on screen. So the idea that they would show that and make it part of their interview suggests that, like their producers, whatever their limit is, she went so far across it. And imagine, like I love to think about the idea of UNC saying, oh no, we have another Jordan brand crisis.
Speaker 6: And here we are.
Speaker 5: He's not even wearing a UNC sweat shirt, right, He's wearing this navy T shirt or whatever it is with a hole in it.
Speaker 6: She's got a navy sweatshirt on.
Speaker 5: It's like, you're going to embarrass us and you can't even represent the brand right. So, I mean it's just like, even before we knew who she was or cared who she was, this whole thing has just been ludicrous. And now that we got into this sort of off field Instagram media polishing, whatever you want to call it, it's just like that, there's not a big enough tent to throw over the circus right now.
Speaker 2: What is your biggest can Let's just look at her role. You know, Bill is relinquished control, and he was a control freak when he coached, you know, in the NFL. And let's just look at it football wise. With this team. What concerns you here?
Speaker 5: Well, I mean that you know, they've got sort of a average level college staff. They've got room for all of his you know, his kids and Mike Lombardy's son is on the staff and former players. You know, I wrote that they're kind of looting Chapel Hill like Halibert and looted Baghdad.
Speaker 6: But the reality is you and c kind of asked him to do this.
Speaker 5: They gave him the giant bag of money. He's just spending it. It's just it's hard to portray yourself as the thirty third NFL team, like nobody's thought of this before when you've got all this other stuff going on, you know, and like, all right, they're going to practice without numbers on the jerseys, and it's like they're acting like they just invented the steam engine. And it's just like, you know, college football is not a sport that's lacked sort of innovation or coaching, introspection or over coaching, the idea that you're gonna come in and just be smarter than everyone else. We certainly haven't seen that bear fruit yet. You know, they lost their best defensive lineman into the portal. The quarterback they ended up buying in the portals from South Alabama. Look, he may be very good, you know, certainly cam Ward jumped up levels and other guys have, but you're still it's still South Alabama and just going up against now ACC future NFL cornerback. So there are a lot of sort of questions just on a football side of things, and there were from the moment he was hired. This is a program that hasn't won an ACC title in forty five years. Basically, the age gap between him and Jordan is how long it's been since they won an ACC title.
Speaker 2: You're killing it here, Luke, I like this at the are they going to do a Jordan brand logo with her?
Speaker 5: I think think My sense is, you know, they Athletic had a story today about how the hard Knocks thing fell, or really sort of the TikTok and not really a why or how, but sort of that the hard Knocks thing fell. Apart my senses, North Carolina has spent more man woman person hours on Jordan Hudson related issues in the last four months than they ever possibly could have expected. Lawyers, pr people, athletic department people. I mean, I wrote a story, a column a couple of weeks ago about they've got a dozen people listed on the UNC system staff payroll website who are identified as members of the football staff. This sort of Michael Lombardi's team, the GM office, the front office. They're all identify as football people on social media. UNC the athletics. They're not on the athletic department website. Their hirings have never been announced, and when I asked the athletic director's chief of staff what was going on, her response was, we're looking into it. So it's like Rocco Lampone building his secret regime and the Godfather nobody really knows what's going on. There's no oversight as far as anyone can tell. And this whole thing is kind of you know, it's like a Tesla on auto drive. You just don't know what it's going to hit first.
Speaker 2: Okay, the local media and their ability or bills availability to you is what.
Speaker 6: About what you'd expect.
Speaker 5: We talked to him before the start of spring practice, we talked to him when he was hired. As far as I know, maybe you know, Micha Lombardi has been available once on signing day. He spoke to the fans on their their spring game. They did practice like a pro like he used to do with the Patriots. He spoke to the fans, but not to the media.
Speaker 6: So it's it. You know, it took him.
Speaker 5: Two months to u unc his own internal podcast, so you know, even the the the stuff that the school wants him to do hasn't exactly been easy coming. But I think we all expected that, right Like this is there's no NFL access rules here. You're not required to meet after a OTA or a certain number. You know, he's it says in his contract he has to fulfill media responsibilities, but there's absolutely no way.
Speaker 6: To enforce that. So you know, we may not even who knows.
Speaker 5: We may not talk to him after practices in August, we may not talk to him after games. We may only talk to him after games. That that's all up in the air right now. It's it's but in that respect, it's sort of been what you expect.
Speaker 2: Is Luke Decock, he covers North Carolina football, He covers sports there in the Raleigh, North Carolina area, Raleigh News and observers sports columnists. I wanted to be fair to Belichick in this situation. If I was in the chair, I'm interviewing him, She's interrupting, like she is becoming part of the story. But the story is supposed to be. Belichick has written a book about winning football games, not about her. But when does she become fair game in this story, in the CBS story where you have to include her.
Speaker 5: That's a terrific question. And like I have not written about her, I have not written a column about her. I've mentioned her when he got hired. That is, you know, girlfriend was sitting with these trustees to sort of push this hire through because it you know, look, football coaches wives, and he coaches wive and he coaches husband if you want to, you know, they have an impact on these things. But like typically, you know, Mac Brown would always refer to you know, Sally and I made the decision to come back, and he genuinely believed that.
Speaker 6: It was a team partnership there.
Speaker 5: But you didn't get the sense that Sally was vetting his interviews or watching film at night. And you know, I mean, at this point, would anyone be shocked if Jordan Hudson posts on Instagram I'm so excited Bill has decided to switch to a bass nickel. This is going to be great for the football program.
Speaker 6: Like no, No one would at this point.
Speaker 5: So when you start to it, like as I mentioned earlier, UNC's brand is at stake here. They hired Bill Belichick to sell tickets and put butts in seats and eyeballs on screen as much as win football games. And when it becomes a side show, when your athletic department becomes a Jordan Hudson management program instead of a football program, that is when it becomes a story. And the fact that I haven't actually sort of put pen to paper yet is really a function of the fact that the Carolina Hurricanes are in the playoffs, and we had a double overtime game last night, and that's soaking up a lot of my attention. But the CBS News interview to me, where you start raising questions about what this meet cute that was supposedly established on the plane with the book, and now she's saying, we won't talk about that, and there are questions about, you know, who's actually in charge here. You know, I think that to me starts to cross that rubicon of this becomes a football issue. You know, can Bill Belichick focus on winning at a program that you know has come close so many times under Butch Davis and Larry Fedora and Mac Brown twice. If he's you know, promoting a book and doing all these other things, what's what's Bill Belichick's focus and what's her role in directing that focus? The fact that a football coach doesn't know what's on social media about him, as he claimed in the CBS. These guys care about what's on the monitors in the lunch room like they dictate every single aspect of a program. That's true in the pros, it's true in college. So there's a lot of sort of questions now that need answers, and to me, that's that's the line you cross, right, that becomes not writing about his personal life, which obviously there are people who write about his personal life for a living. But for me as a sports columnist, when it sort of gets into decision making and who's in charge and what does this mean for the football program, you know, there is a line that's crossed there.
Speaker 2: Would you rather sit down and interview Bill or his girlfriend?
Speaker 5: I would still like to know from Bill why you know? I asked him that at his initial press conference, at what point in your mind did you sort of switch from I this is how I would run my next NFL program to oh, how would I run a college program? It was literally the only good answer he gave him that entire press conference.
Speaker 6: But I want to know, like.
Speaker 5: What possesses you at this age with a young girlfriend who you guys seem to be having the time of your lives out there. You know, even if she's calling the shots, he seems to be, you know, seems to be working for him in that respect, Why would you want to take on a program that is, you know, at a basketball school that faces huge structural hurdles. I mean, there's a reason why neither North Carolina or NC State or Duke has won ACC title in football in thirty years, when they've won national titles and gone to final fours in literally every other sport women's lacrosse, field hockey, women's basketball, wrestling, swimming. All three schools have been in the final four the last five years in men's basketball. So football has been this outlier. And we can go on forever about why that is. It has to do with so many football programs in a state, plus Tennessee and South.
Speaker 6: Carolina and Clemson all skimming the cream off the top.
Speaker 5: But the reality is, why would you take that on. You have a very good life, wait for an NFL job to open up, be a GM, you know, write books about how you're the greatest winner and greatest leader ever. Don't go to this perennial sleeping giant football program. And plus maybe you know, maybe if someone offered me this much money to do it, I would to.
Speaker 2: Over under one and a half years for Belichick at North Carolina under.
Speaker 6: I thought you're gonna say wins. Oh, that was gonna push me.
Speaker 2: That's quick answer there, Luke.
Speaker 5: It's gonna be a beautiful disaster. Dan like a monkey flying of seven thirty. We all know how it's going to end, but we don't know how we're going to get there.
Speaker 2: How about a round of applause for Luke's appearance. Thank you, Luke, appreciate it. Thank you Luke Decock. He is columnist for the Raleigh News and Observer. He had it gone, well, yeah, I had some lines there. Yeah. At some point she became the story. She didn't want to be the story. She became the story. And that's why, you know, when people will respond on social media, you know, what's this have to do with Belichick or the football team or his book. She made it. She made it part of the story. You can't ignore that. I wouldn't have ignored that. If I sat down with Belichick and the first thing I would say is why are you wearing a Navy sweatshirt like that? That would have been it's right there right in front of me. You represent North Carolina. You want product placement. I would think at all reminding people I'm at North Carolina. But and I can guarantee you North Carolina wants that too. They're like, wait, what's he got on? He's got a Navy sweatshirt?
Speaker 7: On.
Speaker 2: But if she's interrupting, and she's doing that, you know, repeatedly. Now she's made herself part of the story, whether she wanted to or not. But she's in there watching the monitor, and then all of a sudden, she's just waiting to go I object, No, we're not talking about that. And by all accounts, she was interrupting a few times. Now you've made yourself part of the story. Because Bill suddenly can't answer questions on his own. It's not a good look. It was embarrassing. I think for Bill, he's waiting for somebody to tell him can I no, you can't. And he doesn't even know about social media these pictures that he posed for.
Speaker 4: I love love, but I don't love love that much. Yes, sEH, but he's lying about some of that. I get that the whole. Like, you know, insta face or snap book or whatever. That joke was funny about twenty years ago. Everybody knows what social media is.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 4: My grandmother is on it, you know, like she's like, hey, you check your IG. Everybody knows what it is. He's just trying to do like that cheap tired joke. Folksy, you think he's trying to be funny here.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 4: I think he's trying to be funny and like too cool, Like I don't even follow that stuff. Yes, you do, dude, you know exactly what everyone's talking about.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I know he's a genius in the Insta snap book.
Speaker 6: What is it again? I don't don't even know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, dude, that joke was good forever ago. Well, Luke was quick to say, over under one and a half seasons and he was taking the under there all right, I'll get phone calls. There's prop beds by the way on Bill and his girlfriend and the football program.
Speaker 4: Which lasts longer his time at North Carolina or that relationship.
Speaker 2: Wow, yeah, I said it. Yeah, you did our two pole question. Bang bang. I mean, my youngest daughter is twenty six. If my daughter brought home some dude who's seventy three or seventy four, I I'd lose it. I'd be like, no, no, no, no, see you, Hey, Graham's get the hell out of here. I don't care who you are. I don't care. He'd be older than you. Yes, he would be like, oh my god, d dude, you know that's stuff like what are you doing? That's that stuff? Would you question yourself at that point and be like, what, yes, what did I do? Yes? I would. I would talk to my daughter and say, Molly, where did I go wrong?
Speaker 3: Hun?
Speaker 2: Why do you hate me so much? And where? Oh did I go so wrong? See you? When you put it in, you know, we look at it and go all right, he got a twenty four year old girlfriend. Then you look at it, you know, as a father, and you're going, wait, mant, I got a twenty four year old daughter, Todd, how old is your daughter? She twenty? She just turned twenty, so I think they met when she was twenty one. So your daughter next year brings home Bill Belichick.
Speaker 3: Well you let me wear the Super Bowl rigs?
Speaker 9: Right?
Speaker 3: You have to think about it.
Speaker 10: Now.
Speaker 3: That's very very weird.
Speaker 2: It is. It is. It's weird. But if you win football games, that's all anybody's gonna care about. But when you don't, they're coming after you. Coach, Coach, tell us about to come back again, tell us tell us about Okay, Atlanta? Right, who makes the decision there to keep going to Jamed one. Let's take a break here, Let's take a break here. Ross Tuckers. I mean that's all you, right, I mean that's you. You make all the big decisions, right, We're not talking about that. Let's take a break. Ross is going to join us. Charles Barkley will join us. More phone calls. Take a break back after this. Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 7: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together We're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 6: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 7: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right, So check us out. We like to get you involved too. Take your phone calls chop it up. As they say, I'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe.
Speaker 2: The most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 7: Be sure to check out Cavino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern, two to four Pacific. And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covin on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: Charles Barkley In an hour, We'll talk to Ross Tucker here momentarily. Bet online has some prop bets for Bill Belichick, including will Bill and his girlfriend break up in twenty twenty five? What happens first they get engaged? Who is no longer the head coach? Also, let's see what will the next Instagram photo feature be Belichick and cut off sleeves, Bill in a suit, his girlfriend showing her belly button, or Belichick in a ripped shirt. There's also this one what will Bill do next? Get a tattoo, Duya's hair blonde, have a mullet, get a piercing or a man bun hairstyle. These are all pressing questions that you can bet prop bets with Bill Belichick. Let's bring in Ross Tucker, our good buddy.
Speaker 3: Ross.
Speaker 2: First question, what's Bill Belichick doing?
Speaker 10: Dan, I have no idea. I mean, if you would have told me or any of us that played for the Patriots that at some day he'd be doing an interview and there would be anyone, you know, I mean, anyone forget it being a howd Olgi is twenty four year old young woman, anyone to the side kind of telling him what to say, what not to say, what topics they can talk about, what they can't. That is not the guy that we played for Now, that was a long time ago. That was two thousand and five, two thousand and six for me, So it's like twenty years ago. But it's very, very surprising to see someone else having this level of control and or involvement with what coach Belichick does.
Speaker 2: How much of a control freak was he when you were in New England?
Speaker 3: Well, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 10: On scale one to ten, he was a twenty you know. I mean picture this, Dan'll you'll appreciate this. Okay, two stories I'll tell you about Belichick and his desire for control. Every morning he would walk on the treadmill Incline, and he would read the clips of everything that was said about the Patriots and everything that was said about the opponent. And then the first time you meet with the media as a player is Wednesday at lunch. So in the Wednesday morning team meeting, he would tell you exactly what the storylines were for the week, what questions you were gonna be asked, and what your response was to be. So we played Jacksonville in the five wildcard round and was gonna be really cold in Foxborough. So the first thing he said, he said, they're all gonna ask you about the weather. Weather's no factor. It's the same for both teams. I mean, he was by far the most conscious of and involved in media relations of any coach I was ever with, which I thought was fascinating that he cared that much. I didn't really understand why he cared that much, but he micro managed any comments that any players made to the media. So it's really interesting that now see him on the kind of wearing the other shoe, and now he's the one more or less being Mike were managed with these media interviews.
Speaker 2: He's Ross Tucker and the Ross Tucker Football podcast also calls games for CBS Westwood One and you can check him out on social media at Ross Tucker NFL. Let's look at the draft here. How should Travis Hunter be used his rookie year?
Speaker 10: That is the million dollar question. I love that the Jaguars went up to get him, but you can't move up and give up that many assets unless he is going to play both ways and you feel like you have a good plan for him to play both ways. I know you know, Dan, I did that Colorado Colorado State game last year for CBS. I'm on record on my show and elsewhere are saying he's the best college football player I've ever seen so forty plus years of watching college football. You know what the uptempo offenses, he was playing over one hundred and twenty snaps a game. That is just nuts. And I' fascinated to see whether or not he can play both at nearly as high of a level in the NFL.
Speaker 3: He has the chance.
Speaker 10: I'm not gonna do the whole James Gladstone thing where like, you know, a belief in football, and I'm not gonna give you the speech that the Jaguars GM gave, but he has the potential to be like the Steph Curry of football. Dan, You know how you go to like a sixth grade cyo basketball game now and these kids are all shooting like twenty five foot threes because of Steph Curry. If Travis Hunter can do this, all these five star recruits are gonna tell Ohio State and Alabama. I want to play both ways. I want to be on both sides of ball. I mean, this guy might change the sport. The interesting thing in particular with Jacksonville, would you rather have a guy that's very good at two positions or elite at one? And everybody agrees that you're better off being a full time corner and a part time receiver, But most people will also tell you he's further along as a receiver. I think the Jags needed a corner more than anything else. I think he's a full time corner and they already have Brian Thomas from last year. He'll be a part time receiver who I think they feel like they'll get a lot of value out of.
Speaker 2: Clearly, but I think that considering what they gave up to go get him, he has to play both positions, like I have to get a show. Heyo Tani out there. I have to have people who show up and they want to see him as a receiver and a defensive back. I think that's lost in a lot of people in how they assess this and like, hey, I love him. I think he's great, But I also am in the entertainment business. I got to have him out there playing both both sides of the ball.
Speaker 3: There's no doubt.
Speaker 10: And of course he's from Georgia, played high school ball in Florida, so he's got the connections down there as well. I think that's how the Jaguars look at it. Number one, he gives them a tremendous amount of buzz with the new regime from a business perspective. But number two, I think what they would tell you, Dan is yes, we gave up next year's first round pick. Guess what next year's first round pick is Travis Hunter the cornerback. This year's first round pick was Travis Hunter the receiver. I truly believe that that's how they look.
Speaker 2: At Okay, all right, give me your theory on Shador Sanders slide.
Speaker 3: Well, there's a couple of things there.
Speaker 10: Number one, I think the biggest thing then, and you know this, like the way you conduct yourself, the way you treat people, it matters, right. I haven't talked about this that much just because I don't think it's that big a deal. But it's a it's a small story, right. So last year, I think you know, I did that Colorado Colorado State game for CBS. I referenced it with Hunter, right, But I was doing Bills Dolphins on radio Thursday night for Westwood One. But I wanted to make sure I was locked in for the TV game. I flew out on Tuesday night to Denver. I was told that I could talk to Shador after Wednesday's practice for Colorado. I go to the practice, I'm in Boulder. After the practice, I'm told, well, he got banged up against Nebraska. He needs to get treatment. Can't meet with you, but he'll meet with you Friday at the production meeting. Okay, no problem, Go to Buffalo, do the game. Flyback Friday production meeting. We talked to Dion, he was great. The coordinators no Shador. We weren't really given a reason, but we did not talk to Shador at the production meetings, which, as you know, starting quarterback, especially a high profile player like that, very unusual. I walk out of the hotel and there's a pickup truck in front of the hotel, and Shador is just sitting in the back of the pickup truck.
Speaker 3: And I kind of regret not going.
Speaker 10: Up to him and just saying introducing myself, Hey, sh I'm Ross's nice to meet you, or or ask him why he didn't do the production meeting. But it just made me wonder, Dan, Like people asked me NFL people asked me after that game, what did you think of Shador? And I said, I didn't get to talk to him. Maybe he's the greatest kid ever. Maybe he's a bad kid.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 10: But I told them the story and they just kind of nodded their head, and it just made me wonder, Dan, how many stories are there like that in which Shador did things that were not customary, He did things non traditionally. It certainly seems like that was the deal with a lot of the combine interviews and meetings with teams, and especially at that position, I think it makes them very nervous that already in college he was getting out of things that you're supposed to be doing. What's he going to be like if he's a first round pick in the NFL draft.
Speaker 2: But if he had cam Ward's talent, would we be overlooking all of this?
Speaker 10: If he had cam Ward's talent, he would have been a first round pick. I think that the Titans would have taken cam Ward instead of him, meaning the intangibles, the way he carries himself, that stuff matters. But if he was that talented, I believe the Browns at two, the Giants at three, they would have taken him. Because also, that's the other part of this. You're okay with having that level of attention if it's your top five pick, your starting quarterback. That goes along with that. Once the Giants decided they liked Dart more than Shador and the Saints decide they liked Shuck more than Shaudor, which, by the way, a lot of people came on my show, The Roslucker Podcast and said they had Dart ahead of Shador or they had Shuck ahead of Shador, So I can leave with those. But once those three teams made that decision, then he was only gonna get drafted to be a backup. And we know this from Kaepernick from Tebow. Nobody wants the most high profile player on the team to be the backup quarterback. Nobody wants a lightning rod polarizing backup quarterback. I gotta tell you, Dan, no, I have no proof of this. I'm convinced that Aaron Rodgers told the Steelers, hey, I'm coming, I'll play for you, but don't take this Anders kids, because Aaron doesn't want to deal with that. Aaron doesn't want the first time he has a bad game, people calling for the Steelers to put you Dorsanders in.
Speaker 3: Whether he said something.
Speaker 10: Or not, I will believe forever that Aaron Rodgers made it known to the Steelers he did not want you dor Sanders in that quarterback room. And I have to deal with that and what might be his last year in the NFL.
Speaker 2: I'll leave you with this. And the more I've thought about it, the more I'm surprised at this. They didn't have an agent for Shador. You have Dion, who is a big cheerleader for his son. His son is listening to his dad pump him up. His dad during Super Bowl week is talking about I've talked to teams and hey, I might be steering him in a different direction here. All of this is going going on. There's nobody really to tell him what reality is because you're there at Colorado with your dad, You're driving an expensive car, you get to do what you want, Like, that's not reality. This is reality when you go to talk somebody and they want to know who you are, not who your dad is. They want to know can you do this? What am I getting here as a person. And that's what really surprises me that it doesn't sound like somebody was there to be that voice who was going to be the contrarian to say, hey, you didn't interview. Well, hey, this is what I'm hearing, because I think reporters were really nervous of giving the true story of what was going on, because I think you had one who came out, maybe it was Todd McShay, and all of a sudden it's like, hey, I'm hearing he had a bad interview, and the blowback was, oh, now we're coming out and going after shador I even said it on the show. It feels like there was this smear campaign going on quietly and then all of a sudden it start. Now it's coming to the surface. But I kept thinking, where is this coming from? And then we finally found out there are some people attaching their names to what was going on. I'm just amazed they didn't have somebody who was going to play the bad cop to everybody's good cop in this situation.
Speaker 10: Well, and not only that, Dan, you just made a fantastic point, because every guy with an agent, they get prepped for the Combine interviews.
Speaker 3: So not only is.
Speaker 10: It the part where he could have had someone to tell him the truth after the interviews or during the pre draft process, it's pretty clear nobody told him how to conduct himself in those interviews, and he failed them miserably. I mean, I've had people say that he went into those interviews Dan as if he had the leverage right, as if he was in control of the situation.
Speaker 3: Boy, that does not go over real.
Speaker 10: Well, yeah, those guys imagine being you interview one hundred guys at the Combine. Only one of them acts like a you know what, doesn't stink and acts like he can control and say whatever he wants to say. He didn't have someone to prep him properly for those interviews, and it cost him dearly. I mean, we learned this spring how important the pre draft process is for quarterbacks, especially with seeing I mean, Queen youwers and these guys going down, chucking, Gabriel going up. What you do in the spring, Yes, after the season, it matters.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, I'm just I was told that that there was just a scenario where Shador made the person people interviewing him feel like you got to recruit me. Yeah, like I I'm not sure if I want to go to your team. Why don't you tell me why I want to go to your team? There was that sense of entitlement. Now that was one situation. I don't know what happened elsewhere, but you're right, it does play. It did play a pretty big role here. Great to talk to you as always, Thanks for joining.
Speaker 3: Us, of course, great, see you, Thank you man.
Speaker 2: That's Ross Tucker, CBS Sports, Westwood One, College Football, NFL analyst and host of the Ross Tucker Football Podcast. Will take a break, poll results coming up. We'll get to your phone calls Charles Barkley next hour.
Speaker 1: Back after this, be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Ross Tucker brought up some interesting things. You know, when you get that first hand information that you're waiting to interview Shador. You were told he was going to be available and then he wasn't. You were told he was going to be available, then he wasn't. It just felt like you're not living in what is reality because you're on scholarship in more ways than one at Colorado. And I've said this before, We've never had him on the show. I've never spoken to him. We have asked if he wanted to come on the show, but you know, you go to the NFL. That's why when they people are trying to lump this in with Colin Kaepernick, Kaepernick was completely different. It should not be mentioned. And they say it's collusion. It's not collusion. They I think everybody realized that this is not somebody you want to bring in unless he is a bonafide superstar. If he's going to be your guy and he's going to be your franchise quarterback, that's different. But if he's going to be the backup or the third quarterback, that's where you're getting questions constantly. And Kevin Stefanski's going to get this in Cleveland, Joe Flacco struggles or Kenny Pickett struggles or when is shador going to play. I mean, this is going to happen the entire when's he gonna play? Why is he playing? Who gives you a better chance? Can you pick at or shoot? Or You're gonna face these questions here? But when you go into an interview and you're sitting with grown ups and you're not used to be in this situation, like, explain this play to me? What happened on that interception you threw? He didn't want to talk about it. He didn't want to take blame the nil you got money. You're driving around in a two hundred thousand dollars car. These guys are talking to me. Yeah, all right, Well they better tell me some good things because you know, I'll go elsewhere. It felt like it was probably a recruiting type feel for him. All right, A couple of phone calls in here. Let's see Sue in Denver. Hi, Sue, what's on your mind?
Speaker 9: Good morning, DPOs, Good morning Dennette.
Speaker 7: Hey.
Speaker 9: I was just a hate to circle back on this, but just referencing and going back to the dock Rivers debacle this morning. I was listening to it and he kind of sounds a little bit like Kevin Harlan. So I was wondering if maybe Kevin Harlan could interview Doc on his chances of staying with Milwaukee.
Speaker 2: Okay, well let's see. Let's go down to Kevin Harlan, who is standing by with Doc Rivers. Doc, you've lost many playoff games. We all know the Clipper saga, and now it happened again.
Speaker 3: What is going on with you in playoff games?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I gotta do better.
Speaker 6: I gotta do better.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna put it on my team.
Speaker 3: I gotta be a better coach. I don't they give me a chance to come back next year. I love those guys.
Speaker 2: Excellent this TNT. Thank you Kevin, and Doc wants to talk about it. Thank you, Tom. Your your head is all red.
Speaker 3: They got to feel a little lightheaded.
Speaker 2: Actually. Raymond in California, Hi, Raymond, good morning. What's on your mind?
Speaker 8: You're going my first time call them six to eighty pounds. I just want to talk about the Bill Belichick. I want to come to his defense.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 8: Look, Bill Belichick is in his seventies and he has a twenty four year old girlfriend. How many older men out there pretty much really date women in their own age brackets not too many. So I have no problem with Bill Belichick dating a twenty four years O.
Speaker 2: No, no, But Raymond, you're missing the point. Yes, there are men who date much younger women, absolutely, but this has to do with the control of a football program, his career. This is a business. Like if you're a billionaire and you're dating somebody younger, is she running your company? Well that's the situation you have with Bill Belichick and his girlfriend. By all accounts, she is in giving the appearance running the show here. She's telling him what he can and cannot say. That's why this is a little more than a guy dating somebody fifty years younger than him.
Speaker 8: Okay, I don't think so I saw it to do it. Just because she said, look, we're not talking about that. That's just something maybe they just did not want to discussions, doesn't mean that she's running him. I don't think she's running him. She just didn't want to talk about it. And and Bill Belichick is a good coach, and I'm gonna watch all of his UNC games and they don't have no.
Speaker 2: I'm watching too. But and thank you, Raymond. She interrupted the interview multiple times. She delayed the interview. This is according to CBS, she delayed it thirty minutes, so she made it about herself while trying not to make it about herself. And if you're gonna post photos of you posing on the beach as a mermaid and he's the Morton salt guy, people are gonna ask those questions. And then when she says, we're not talking about it, Morton Saltly, this is real life. Yes, she's got him coseplaying. What do you want me to dress up like today? Yes? And I get it all right, I'll do that. You want me to be a fisherman?
Speaker 3: Sure? In our privacy?
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you put those pictures out, people are gonna ask about it. And if you interrupt the conversation. Numerous times I would have said, either be in the interview or be out of the interview room. I wasn't planning on watching that interview, but then I was like, can't stop thinking about it? And you wear a navy sweatshirt. You're the North Carolina head coach. Could it have gone any worse than it did? Charles Barkley Final Hour