Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to the Votes and Verdicts podcast, hosted by the litigation and policy team at Bloomberg Intelligence, the investment research platform of Bloomberg LP. This podcast series examines the intersection of business policy and Law'm Elliott Stein and analysts with Bloomberg Intelligence covering financials litigation.
Speaker 2: And my name is Nathan Dean, and I'm an analyst with Bloomberg Intelligence covering financials policy.
Speaker 1: So our topic for today is how to beat the US government in court, and we're delighted to have with us the perfect guest for this topic, Eugene Scalia, partner in the Washington, d c. Office of Gibson, Dunn and Crutcher and co chair of the firm's Administrative Law and Regulatory Practice Group. Two thousand and two to two thousand and three, Secretary Scalia served as Solicitor of the US Department of Labor, and from twenty nineteen to twenty twenty one he served as US Secretary of Labor, making him the only person ever to have served as both solicitor and Secretary of Labor. Secretary Scalia is the go to lawyer for challenging federal regulatory actions and has successfully challenged rules like the SEC's Proxy Access Rule, the CFTC's position limits rule, met Life's designation as too big to Fail by the Financial Stability Oversight Council, the Labor Department's fiduciary rule, and OSHA's Cooperative Compliance program. And if that's not impressive enough, he's currently involved in litigation challenging the SEC's Private Funds Rule, California's climate disclosure law, New York City Pension Fund's decision to divest from fossil fuel companies, and he has been retained to represent banking industry groups to fight proposed rules that would increase capital requirements for banks. I would be remiss if I didn't also mention that Secretary Scolia is a son of the late Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia. And on a personal note, I should add that many years ago I played on the same fifth grade soccer team as one of Secretary Scolia's brothers, though I doubt anyone other than me remembers that. So with all that, Secretary Scolia, welcome to the Votes and Verdicts podcast.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Elliott, good to join you. If you didn't say it, we should also add that I'm with the Gibson un and Cruncher Law Firm.
Speaker 1: That's exactly right, and we are so excited to have you on today's show because we really can't think of anyone better than you to talk to us about challenging government regulations in court. I think I listed most of, not all, of the cases where you've done that, and I believe you are seven and zero in going up again and government rules and regulations. And of course there are several high profile cases going on right now where you're also challenging government laws or initiatives. Well, of course, get into more detail about some of those, but before we do, we like to ask our guests a little bit about their background. So maybe we can start by having you tell us a little bit more about your legal career, about your stints at the Labor Department, and about your current practice at Gibson Done.
Speaker 3: Sure, we please too. I should, by the way, clarify that I'm seven to zero in suing the SEC to challenge its rules. I've won more if you count other agencies as well, although there are a couple there that where the court got it wrong and I didn't win. I went to University of Chicago Law School after a couple of years actually working in the Reagan administration as a speechwriter, and then join my current firm, Gibson, Done and Crutcher in Los Angeles, where I had a labored employment law practice and a litigation practice. But I moved back to Washington in nineteen ninety two to work for the Attorney General as a special assistant. It was actually Bill Barr, his first time as Attorney General. I worked there for a year. The American people voted us out in nineteen ninety two, and so I rejoined my firm, Gibson Done, became partner here, started our what we call administrative law and regulatory practice group. It's really a practice that focuses on representing clients who are in contentious proceedings with agencies where they think they may well ultimately need to go to court to vindicate their rights. And so that's the heart of that practice. But I've also maintained a labor employment practice for many years, co chaired or labor employment practice while also sharing our administra of law practice. As you mentioned, I went to work in the George W. Bush administration as the so called solicitor, the general counsel of the Labor Department, then return to my firm when that was done, and then rejoined the Labor Department as secretary for President Trump in twenty nineteen, and came back here in the spring of twenty twenty one.
Speaker 2: Great, Well, I'd like to kick things off a little bit by talking about just what is it like to see a regulator. It feels like we're in this perfect storm for litigating challenges challenging regulations because on one hand, you have the Biden administration, which is, I would argue, fairly aggressive in promligating rules and regulations. And then on the other hand, you have a federal judiciary, particularly at the Supreme Court and the Circuit court levels, that's concerned with government overreached. So I was wondering, if could you place this moment of time in terms of a horse historical context. Are there other times that you can recall with there's so many lawsuits challenging government regulations.
Speaker 3: It really isn't on you usual time. And I think that's for a couple of different reasons, which you've already touched on. One is that you do have a Supreme Court right now that is very focused on re examining the limits that exist on the powers of federal regulatory agencies and the powers that they may be given by Congress while still remaining consistent with constitutional requirements. I think that this question of the powers and limits of powers on federal ministry of agencies and associated questions about how they can exercise those powers may end up being the defining issue for the Roberts Court. I point out to people that if you look at the three justices that President Trump added to the Supreme Court during his tenure, very arguably each one of those three is more interested than the person he or she replaced in identifying and enforcing limits on the power of federal regulatory agencies. So Justice Barrett more so than Justice Ginsberg, Justice Kavanaugh, I think, more so than Justice Kennedy, and even Justice Gorsuch more so than my father, Justice Scalia. And in fact, that change in the seat in the Court is a very good example because on two issues that are getting a lot of attention right now, my father had a position that was somewhat favorable toward regulatory agencies for much of his career. He was a real proponent of so called Chevron deference. That's the idea that when statutes are ambiguous that courts should defer to agencies reasonable interpretations of those statutes. And then secondly, my father was skeptical Justice Scalia was of whether the courts could effectively administer what's known as the non delegation doctrine. It's the idea that Congress can't delegate its legislative job wholesale lock stock and barrel to regulatory agencies. Justice Gorsuch, on the other hand, has been a very harsh critic of Chevron and has been a real proponent of reinvigorating that so called non delegation doctrine. So he parts company with my father on both of those important issues. Although I should add that very late in his career, my father justically was becoming skeptical of deference doctrines, including I think Chevron difference. So his views themselves were changing. So that's part of what is going on. You've got a Supreme Court really focused on limits on agency power, on preventing Congress from intruding on the president authority, preventing agencies from adopting authorities that belong to Congress the president. And then the other trend that's happening is you do have an administration that's using regulatory agencies in a quite aggressive and expansive way. Now, this is also not entirely new, because presidents have found it increasingly difficult to enact their agenda legislatively through Congress, they you know, naturally cast about for other ways to get things done, and using agencies, using their executive administrative powers is a natural place to look. And so you have seen just generally more energetic use by presidents and recent administrations of their agencies. But I think some Biden agencies have been on overdrive. The President Biden has been encouraged by some to view himself as a new Franklin Dellan Roosevelt in sort of the ambition and sweep of the programs that he puts in place. The problem is that President Roosevelt had enormous legislative majorities and Biden doesn't. So how does he get there? Well, again, it's through aggressive, adventurous use of agencies. Examples would include the cancelation of student loan debt, the so called eviction moratorium that was put in place in originally the Trump administration, but extended a couple of times by President Biden, ultimately struck down by the Supreme Court the Osha vaccine mandate that the President adopted late in twenty twenty one, also struck down by the Supreme Court. And there are a number of rules out there that are in litigation or are in the verge of being proposed, like the Federal Trade Commission's proposal to outlaw noncompete agreements that again are very aggressive, uh attempts to use regulatory power. So one of the same time that you've got the court looking for agency overreach and abuse, you've got the bidy administration saying, hey, look over here, we've got some for you. And it's uh, it's it's it's resulting in a lot of litigation.
Speaker 2: You know, it's funny because I I came to Washington fourteen years ago. Funny enough, also from the University of Chicago, though I was on the business school side asposed to law school. So we can definitely talk Hyde Park Restaurant someday, but.
Speaker 3: Help me at.
Speaker 2: Exactly. But when I look back at your career, I see all these core cases that I had to, you know, respond to, as you know, either in government affairs or here at Bloomberg. You know, we're talking about the met Life SAPY designation, the CFDC position limits rule, and I would love to know how do you approach these cases, like, is there when you come into this, you know, is there a concern that a company further upsets its regulator by suing it? Because I know for my own experience, we would never suggest ever suing your own regulator unless there's a really good reason.
Speaker 3: It's a great question. And let me say that in some circles there's this narrative whereby corporations and trade associations are incessantly looking for fights to pick with the government and lawsuits to bring, and even when those cases may not be particularly meritorious. The truth is actually very much the opposite. My corporate clients really are not eager to get in litigation with the government. Trade associations generally also would rather reach a consensus compromise not be driven to litigation. I've had conversations many a time with clients where I've said, you know, you've got a really pretty good case to bring here. I think you're likely to win if you're willing to bring it, and the clients have said, you know what, we hear you. We're very bothered by what was done, but we just at the end of the day, have other fish to fry with the agency right now, we'd rather not sue. I've had that conversation a number of times in my career. Never have I had a corporation or trade association say you know, yeah, I'm probably not gonna win. I hear you, but I want to assue them anyway. And so there's a natural hesitancy. There's a respect for the government. There's a desire to find compromise. There's a desire to have a regulatory environment that's predictable, that's manageable. But there certainly are times where clients feel that they have no choice but to proceed with litigation.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: I first sued the Securious Exchange Commission back in about two thousand and five, and that was a rule where when I looked at the work they'd done, when I looked at the rule making file, I was surprised at how unsophisticated the SEC's work was, and frankly, some of the most of the comments that were submitted also were comments submitted to the agency by the public about what the rules should say, were very short and really didn't offer very much. When I sued the SEC back then in two thousand and five or so. They were just indignant. They were not used to this. My client was the US Chamber of Commerce, and the SEC just couldn't understand what business the Chamber of Commerce had suing them over one of their rules. They raised very non meritorious arguments challenging the Chambers standing and the like. I actually gave a talk after that first lawsuit where a staff member of the SEC insisted on showing up and getting equal time and castigating my client's in me for bringing this lawsuit. He was still so worked up about it even though we had won the case, and actually his point was kind of interesting. His point was that my client and I were trying to use procedural rules, in his mind, tricks to prevent the agency from doing the right thing that the agency's policy goals he believed were really important, and we were just trying to use procedural tiki taki requirements to prevent them from doing it. And you know, my answer was, a procedure is what the Administrative Procedure Act is all about. The Administraive Procedure Act, the APA is the law under which agencies are most frequently sued, and that law requires agencies to proceed in a way that's fair, it's open minded, that gives the public a chance to comm meant and a process where after the public has commented, the agency listens carefully to what they've said and reconsiders its course of action. And and so you know that that is the process that Congress has established. It's one that the agencies are governed by. And what I found with the SEC was that over time they you know, they've become a little more accustomed to getting sued. People who in the past might have been hesitant about doing it now recognized that it's just part of dealing with a regulator and the agent. The SEC, for its part, has particularly in the last couple of years, gotten much more aggressive, which again is prompted more lawsuits. So again I think most companies and trade associations would would rather find agreeable ground. But they've come to realize, particularly in recent years, is that court has begun to supervise this area a little bit more, that when the agency overreaches, they have a chance to be heard and to win in court. And they're they're taking those opportunities in those circumstances where agencies are overreaching.
Speaker 1: And I would say that it seems like agencies now anticipate in litigation coming after the rule is finalized, and we're seeing that, for example, with the SEC Climate Disclosure rule, which we expect to be finalized in a couple of days. I should add that we are recording this on March fourth, twenty twenty four, and that SEC rule is expected to be finalized on March sixth, and we'll talk a little bit about California's climate rule in particular in a little bit. But before we turn to that, I just want to go back to Chevron, since we were talking about that before. As I'm sure you know most listeners know, there were a pair of cases argued in the Supreme Court in January seeking to get rid of Chevron deference. And I think the consensus view, certainly ours, is that the High Court will overrule Chevron and articulate a new standard requiring courts to determine the best interpretation of the statute at issue, rather than defering to agency interpretations. But Secretary School, I'd just love to get your thoughts on those cases, the argument, and how you think that the Supreme Court might rule on it.
Speaker 3: Sure, well, this is an important pair of cases argued before the Court in I believe in February concerning again this so called Chevron doctrine. Chevron is a nineteen eighty four Supreme Court case, where as I mentioned, the Court said that when an agency has authority given by Congress to regulate in a particular area, and where the statute is ambiguous, courts should defer to the agency's interpretation of that statute so long as the interpretation is reasonable. That's the Chevron doctrine. It's one of the most frequently cited Supreme Court cases ever. It's been seen by its supporters as a way of giving the federal government some latitude to craft sensible rules that provide predictability to the regulated community, and without being overridden by judges who might happen to disagree with the policy or have a slightly different interpretation of a statute that's ambiguous. It's critics, though, have said that it's really empowered agencies to expand their jurisdiction to supersede courts in interpreting the law. Obviously, a central role of courts is determining what the law is, and Chevron's critics say you should never have given that responsibility to the agencies in any way. There's been a question for a while whether the Supreme Court might overrule that old Chevron case. In recent years, the Court itself has not used Chevron to defer to an agency. It has begun to develop some principles by which it doesn't even reach Chevron. These include the so called major question doctrine, which we can talk about if you'd like. But this term, the Court did agree to hear the question whether it should just do away with Chevron deference. Always hard to know just based on oral argument, what the Court ultimately will do, And for people following Chevron, it's important to remember that there was a case called Kaiser a few terms ago that concerned the related question of whether courts should defer to agencies reasonable interpretations of their own regulations when the agency's own regulations are ambiguous, and some scholars had believed that there was actually a stronger case for getting rid of that difference doctrine than there was for getting rid of the Chevron difference doctrine. But when the rubber hit the road in that Kaiser case, the Court kept Kaiser deference, but it cut it back and narrowed it. I think that it's safe bet based on the argument in the cases in the Court this term about Chevron, it's safe to bet that the Court will cut back on Chevron. I think a lot of people believe it will be fully done away with. Whether or not that happens, I think it's likely that we will have a much narrower Chevron going forward, and there's already been some hand ringing about what that might mean for agencies in the courts in the years ahead.
Speaker 1: Do you think there's any chance that they know if they do scale it back, that it applies retroactively. That seems like it would be pretty extreme.
Speaker 3: Well, that was one question that the justices asked about it an argument. You know, for example, if there was a case a few years ago was litigated in the Court of Appeals and the court said, well, the statute's ambiguous, the agency's interpretation is reasonable, so we're leaving the rule in place. Can that now be challenged again remains to be seen. I think I'd be shocked if it weren't retroactive. In the following way, if the Court over rules Chevron regulation adopted a year ago is not still going to be entitled to Chevron difference because it was adopted a year ago, they would apply this new rule prospectively, so it wouldn't be retrospective in that effect in that sense, but I fully expect that whatever rule they announce will largely apply in cases going forward, even if the rules were adopted a year ago or more.
Speaker 1: And you mentioned major questions Major Questions doctrine, how do you think about the interplay between the Major Questions doctrine and Chevron deference. You know, the Major Questions doctrine was only recently articulated by the Supreme Court, and you know, for those who don't know, it essentially says that if an agency seeks to decide an issue of major national or economics significance, its action must be supported by a clear congressional authorization. But you know, a question I have is did that largely replace Chevron accept on issues that aren't of major national or economic importance, or you know, maybe stated differently, what work is Chevron still doing now that we have the Major Questions doctrine.
Speaker 3: Well, first of all, I think that was a good description of the Major Questions doctrine sort of how it has been stated and operates, and in a way, the Major Questions doctrine could be thought of as a sort of reverse Chevron, you know, as I was describing Chevron roughly described says that when it's unclear whether an agency has the power it does, and the Major Questions doctrine says, if it's unclear whether an agency has a really big, major power, then it doesn't. It needs clear authority. So that's one way to look at it. That the Major Question doctrine flips Chevron on its head in circumstances where the power to be exercised by the agency is especially consequential. Of course, there's something odd in the notion that when it's unclear whether the government has power it does, you know, we still would think that we're a government, a nation of limited government. We got a Congress of enumerated powers, the powers not granted or to Congress, or powers it doesn't have. In that context, it's a little counterintuitive that the government might have whatever the federal agencies might have whatever powers that Congress didn't withhold from them. And that's one of the complaints is brought against Chevron, you know. But differently, a lot of people would say that, look, when in doubt whether the government has power over the individual, it doesn't. Right now, before the pending cases involving Chevron are decided, there's still a large number of cases where people would agree the issue presented is not a major question. It's important to the parties before it, but doesn't meet the relatively high threshold the Supreme Court has set for a major question case. And right now, in that world of non major question cases, at least in the lower courts, Chevron is still the law. As I said, the Supreme Court itself has not really been you using Chevron much in recent years. It's been studiously avoiding it. But the lower courts are still bound by Chevron, and they've they've been continuing to use it, and so it's still got life in the lower courts outside of major question doctument cases.
Speaker 2: Great, So I'd like to take us to the what's known as the Buzzle three Endgame. And for the listeners you know who aren't familiar, this is the one of the last remaining pieces of the Bozle three Accords, hence the name endgame. But you know, this proposal comes from the Federal Reserve, the FDIC and the Office of the Controller Currency, and you know, is a recalibration of with risk weighting of assets, which for the biggest banks could lead to around nineteen percent in higher capital requirements. And for the smaller banks this is applicable to banks that are hundred billion and up and at least in our estimation round five to six percent in terms of cap requirements. And you know, Secretary School, I know you've done some work on the Buzzle three endgame. Can you just describe some of the problems that you see with the proposal, because there is considerable pushback from many of the stakeholders in Washington about this as.
Speaker 3: You're describing the sort of the Basil three proposals originate with some international banking accords that various nations arrived at in Basel, Switzerland. Those accords call for the member countries to then implement those new standards in their home countries for their banks. And this proposal that was put out last year by the US banking regulators is purportedly their attempt to implement Basel in the United States. There are a number of problems with it. Let me start with the process. I think there are some in the banking world banking regulators who have this notion that they can meet with fellow banking regulators in some other place. Often it sounds like a kind of swank location in Switzerland, and they can arrive at a view about how banks ought to be regulated, to structured like reach agreement and then just come back home and get it done. Of course, there's a critical step along the way, which is that we have our own set of laws in this country that have to be respected. Those include, as I mentioned, the Administra Procedure Act. You can't just go abroad agree to do something and then not satisfy all the usual requirements that one mess most satisfy through rulemaking. Bosle's not a treaty that's been ratified by the Senate, for example. But one of the concerns is that it sort of looks to some extent like the US banking regulators thought that having reached agreement in Switzerland, they'd sort of largely done their job and could just drop this on American banks with a thud, and it was their duty to accept it. Now, this problem was exacerbated by the fact that what the US banking regulators did was actually bozzle three on steroids. They departed from the agreement they'd reached in a number of ways, and I think you know, every time they departed, they made the capital requirements waightier, costlier for US banks. And so on the one hand they seemed to be saying, here's basle, We're doing it, and then on the otherhand, at various points they said basil is not good enough. We're going to stick to even harder. That raises a separate set of legal problems. At the end of the day, the capital standards, as they've been looked at by the banks that would be affected and the economists they've retained, would be extremely costly, not just for banks, but for our financial system, potentially hundreds of millions of dollars in costs. And yet when you look at the work that the regulators showed as to why they're doing what they're doing, it really fell very far short of what you expect from agencies when they're engaged in rulemaking in the United States, especially when they're engaged in rulemakings that would have an enormous impact. Again, we're back to the Administra Procedure Act. It's about process, it's about listening to the public. It's also about showing the public your reasoning, your math, your work. Why did you arrive at these capital requirements. Unfortunately, the proposal was put out at a very very poor job of that, and they're going to have to go back to the drawing board to reconsider the limits that they want to put in place and to do a much better job explaining how they got there. And of course they're going to have to respond to the comments that they received. Just to give one quick example, the proposal was put out that had a very short economic analysis where they admitted that the proposal could have an adverse impact on trading on markets, and the proposal said somebody ought to do a study of this. And you know, as a lawyer, reading that, and I think, well, yeah, that's you. It's your proposal. You need to study it, appraise it, and consider whether it's worth it before you put it out. You can't put out something that's going to have an adverse effect on trading and saying, wow, this could be bad. Somebody ought to do some homework for us, so they have some work to do.
Speaker 1: I mean that seems like APA one oh one right, And so I'm just wondering, like, how does that happen? Like, I mean, you've been a regulator before, how is it that an administrative agency just doesn't do some of the basic study that needs to be done, you know, before proposing a rule.
Speaker 3: Banking regulators wield an enormous amount of discretionary power over banks every day of the week, you know, as you know, they lodge personnel actually on the bank's premises. They're reviewing what they're doing every day, and I think to some extent they're not used to being questioned by the people that they regulate. They're accustomed to issuing orders and having them followed. But when you're in the notice and comment realm at least, and I think in other realms too, but in the notice and comment realm, it doesn't work that way. You really do need to arrive at a regulation in a thoughtful way that's very attentive to the impacts that are going to occur, and that gives the public an opportunity to participate, fair notice of what you're going to do, and that kind of thing. So I do think that in this area, and in some other areas too, that in this world where people feel forced to make resorts court more frequently and reports are listening, banking regulators are going to have to become more attentive to the rights of the banks that they're regulating and the impact that they're having.
Speaker 1: Let's shift gears just a little. Let's go back to the climate disclosure rules that we were talking about before. The SEC, of course, you know, proposed a rule in March twenty twenty two, two years ago that would require issuers to report how they identify and manage climate risks. Like I said earlier, that rule is expected to be finalized in two days. Again, we're recording this on March fourth, and then we expect lawsuits to be filed shortly after finalization, although a lot depends on what that final rule looks like. And since we don't know what that final rule looks like, well, we're going to skip some discussion and questions about the SEC's rule. But in the meantime, we do have laws passed in California recently, pair of climate disclosure laws for companies that do business in California. On January thirtieth, the US Chamber of Commerce and other industry groups sue the California Air Resources Board challenging those laws. Your firm, Gibson Done with you as lead attorney, is representing the plaintiffs in that litigation. So we were wondering if you can just tell us a little bit more about the litigation in California, the arguments you're making there, including the First Amendment arguments, preemption, and dormant commerce clause, because I think a lot of people think that some of the arguments in the California litigation will serve as a preview of potential arguments against the SEC's rule as well.
Speaker 3: Sure, well, this is a pair of laws enacted in California in twenty twenty three, as you say, re companies that do really any business in California. When those companies are I think have more than five hundred million or a billion in revenues, depending on the statute requires them to make a series of really quite costly disclosures about greenhouse gas emissions, both their emissions but also the emissions of people in their supply chain or their customers, and then also require them to make disclosures about the impact that climate risks could have on the company's operations. And as you say, there's some similarities to the SEC's proposed rules. I'm representing the US Chamber of Commerce and others and bringing a lawsuit over these statutes. One of our claims is simply under the First Amendment, of course, everybody understands you have a right to speak, but you also have a right not to speak, not to carry a particular government message, or not to be forced to disclose things that the government wants you to disclose, so that, for example, you can be subject to pressure various people out there in the marketplace, in the blog of sphere or whatever, who might want you to change your conduct. The Supreme Court, incidentally, has become more interested in the last few years in attempts by agencies, including the State of California, to bring pressure on organizations or on their donors by forcing disclosure. The sort of pressure by disclosure gain is one that the Supreme Court is onto, and we believe that this is a case where environmental organizations and others are successfully persuade the California legislature to force companies to make disclosures so that then those organizations and others can bring pressure to bear on those companies to change their practices to reduce their emissions, emissions by others and the like. The Chamber's lawsuit is not challenging at all the science that might exist around climate change. And the Chamber itself has a pretty strong and consistent message about its member's interest in finding ways to address climate change. But this particular method is problematic for a lot of reasons. As I said, it implicates free speech rights. These disclosures can be extremely costly, and it merged in the SEC's Climate rule making that having this disclose certain emissions can cost individual companies millions of dollars and Moreover, it's very clear that what California is trying to do is to affect companies nationwide operations and in fact trying to affect their operations internationally. If you're a company of a certain size and have any business in California, then they've got you under this statute. And we have statements by some of the legislators who supported the law to the effect that this is the way that California can get it's hook and the companies and force them to change their emissions practices and the practices of their suppliers and customers nationwide. So that puts some new issues into play. It's Congress that's in charge for regulating interstate commerce, not individual states. We can't have individual states setting climate policy for companies in every state they're operating in. That's what California in a sense, is trying to do. And so in addition to the First Amendment challenge which has been brought to the California Statutes, there are also challenges under what we call the Dormant Commerce Clause. Again this idea that it's Congress's job to regulate interstate commerce, not state's job, not state's world to interfere with it. And then also the Clean Air Act and principles that surround that, we believe preempt the states from trying to set nationwide climate policy on their own. So that's the set of issues in that case. And you know, we think that California. Again, we're not questioning the interest that many people have in addressing climate change. The Chamber shares that interest. It's a matter of means and it's a matter of the proper authority. We think it's for Congress, certainly, not for one state to dictate what's done nationwide.
Speaker 1: Now, if I understand it correctly, the lawsuit is suing the California Air Resources Board, which as far as I know, I don't think has promulgated any rules or regulations pursuant to the statutes that were passed by the California legislature. So I'm just curious, you know, why the suit is ripe now before there are any rules or regulations promulgated or proposed.
Speaker 3: Even elliot rightness has to do with the question of simply whether it's time yet for a case to be brought, And the Supreme Court has said that sometimes the issues aren't clear enough, aren't crystallized enough for a court to yet decide. They need the case more fully developed, the conflict more sharply defined before the courts want to get involved. Here, the California legislature has pretty clearly told the Air Resources Board what to do under one of these two statutes, and then on the other two. On the second statute, the card has a role, but not a role in defining what has to be done at all. And so when you ask the question, is it clear enough now that there's a constitutional violation, you know, we think absolutely that the CARB does not have the discretion to roll back these onerous requirements imposed by the California legislature. And so the case is ripe, ready to go forward, and it's preferable it go forward now rather than wait a year or two when companies are going to have to start incurring really significant costs coming to compliance. By the way, I should add, I've talked a lot about the California legislature. Gavin Newsom, the for you governor, you know, prominent Democrat, seems to have his eye on the presidency. At one point one year or another, he signed the law, but he's very critical. So even Gavin Newsom, certainly very progressive, uh sees these laws as overreaching, impractical, to burden some and the like. Didn't steal them from signing them, but it's an indication how far California's overreached.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was. I was going to mention that, and that was sort of what prompted my question too, because given his criticism, I just wondered whether the actual rules that come down the road may be different than you know, what the laws we're advocating for. But in any event, we appreciate the answer, Nathan to you.
Speaker 2: Yep. So you know, one of the other cases we want to ask you about is, of course, the Private funds Rule. This is the National Association of Private Fund Managers and other industry groups challenging the sec Private fund Rule. You know, the industry. Main argument here is that the rule exceeded or exceeds SEC authority because Congress didn't give the SEC authority to intervene in the private funds market. So, can you give us your view of the case. And you know, because one of the questions that you received at oral arguments was whether the court should strike down the whole rule or just only part of it. Are you worried that the court may only strike part of the rule down if the court were to, you know, come to that conclusion.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this challenge involves a really very sweeping SEC rule. Congress has established a very clear divide between how so called investment companies are to be regulated on the one hand, and private funds on the other. Investment companies include, for example, mutual funds, which are often held by individual American investors, so called retail investors. Private funds, on the other hand, are hedge funds, private equity venture capital fund. Investment in those is limited to sophisticated investors by law, and precisely because investment in those vehicles is limited to sophisticated investors, Congress has taken a much more hands off roll toward regulating and has told the SEC that it can't impose the kinds of requirements that are imposed on mutual funds and other investment companies. For whatever reason, that limitation on the SEC's authority doesn't sit well with the current chair of the SEC, and so last summer he adopted some really aggressive rules to assert what amounts to full authority if he wants to use it over private funds. And so you have this extraordinary lawsuit where again hedge funds, private equity, and venture capital, three different important segments of the financial services industry have all come together and sue the SEC to challenge those rules on a number of grounds, the principal one being again that the SEC just simply does not have the authority in this area. Statutory provisions that the SEC has glommed onto and said oh, this is this is why we can do it are very narrow provisions that aren't addressed at private funds at all. So we think this entire structure is very legally vulnerable. For that reason and for other reasons too, the SEC made a poor showing of why it needs to do this. I mean, it admitted this rule is going to cost billions of dollars a year and so you say, well, wow, you don't have a really powerful reason. We don't think they came up with that reason. And then finally, the SEC has had a lot of rules thrown out by courts over the years because it failed its duty given it by Congress to consider the effects the rule will have on what Congress calls efficiency, competition, and capital formation. And here again the SEC did a bad job weighing those impacts and simply stating what they would be. So each of those failings, the lack of statutory authority, lack of established need for the rules, yet another deficient cost benefit analysis, each of those is a reason to throw out this entire rule that was adopted by the SEC. In oral argument, the judges did ask some questions about whether if they made a particular finding in the case, the whole rule would be thrown out or not. But we feel that we've made a really powerful showing that in fact, as we said in our brief, this rule is rotten from route to branch and should be vacated by the court.
Speaker 1: So we're gonna shift gears a little bit again. We're gonna, i think, move away from some of the substantive discussion and We're going to ask you a couple of personal questions, not not too personal. But the first one is, you know you've you've obviously bounced, you know, back and forth between government service and the private sector, private practice. Do you have any desire to return to government service, and if so, in what capacity? What what would be next? After having been Secretary of Labor.
Speaker 3: You know, I count myself really lucky that I love practicing law. A lot of people go to law school, they go to law firm, and it's drudgery. I've always enjoyed my private practice. I like my case load, I appreciate your interested in it, and I like helping clients. Uh So, I've had a lot of fun here. I've spent most of my career in private practice. You know, I certainly have respect for government service. I've had an interest in it over the years, and so I having served in four Republican administrations, I'm kind of past the point of saying I'd never do it again. But as you get more senior, as you know, as you're saying, Elliott, there's less out there that might interest you. So I'm happy where I am. I never say never if there's something out there that's really rewarding, although again there's less and less that might be that description.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm going to ask the most difficult question of the day, and this is something that we always ask our guests, and this is if you were stranded on a desert island, what three pieces of music albums, song, soundtracks, et cetera would you bring with? And your responses will go into elliott Spotify playlist that we currently have of all the Bloomberg you know, votes and verdicts guests, so feel free to give us what you know is your dreathers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I listened mostly to classical music these days, and I have come to love opera. My father loved opera. Took me a while to get there, but it's beautiful music and wonderful stories, especially once you realize that the stories are ridiculous. You know, the greatest operas plot wise, aren't really much better than American soap opera. They're fun. My favorite is Don Giovanni, so that would be out of a music number one. Out of a music number two would probably be something more low key. I love Mozart, but that's Don Giovanni covers that box piano music is beautiful and contemplative, play it when I'm working off and very much enjoy it. And plus I've got like a like a ten CD set so it lasts you a long time in that desert island. And then back in the day, I loved punk rock and particularly The Clash. The Clashes London Calling is a great album. It always makes the top rock album ever lists. It's music I still listen to, so I would have that too.
Speaker 1: That's pretty good. So Opera, Bach and The Clash, I mean that covers a wide range. All right, Secretary School, I think with that we will wrap up this episode of Votes and Verdicts. We are extremely grateful to you for appearing on this episode. I think it was a really informative discussion about a very important time in American regulatory and legal history. And we thank you the listener for taking the time to join us. As well as a reminder you can read all of our Bloomberg intelligence research on the Bloomberg terminal at Big And with that, thank you again and have a great day.