Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by Unstoppable. Discover the inspiring true story about Anthony Roebliss, who defined every expectation to become a national wrestling champion, and Unstoppable, a new original movie from Amazon MGM Studios and director William Goldenberg, evoking the excitement and camaraderie of classic sports dramas and thrilling wrestling matches. Unstoppable features an all star ensemble cast including Jerrel Jerome, Jennifer Lopez, Don Cheatle, Michael Pania, and Bobby Canavali. Watch Unstoppable now exclusively on Amazon Prime Video.
Speaker 2: All Right, welcome man, Episode one ninety one. What's right with Nick Wright? Apologies for the people watching live on YouTube this morning for the substantial delay. We had a slight internet issue here at Trentadge in Harlem. It has been since been worked out. But because of that, and I know I promised this five out of shows and I don't always deliver it, we are gonna try to have a nice, clean, tight, efficient show today. We will get to all of that. Also, it sounds like Demonse might need his headphones lowered a bit. While you guys do that, I will tell you all what missed the cut. Here's what is not on today's show. Daniel Jones maybe out for the well it is out for the year, and might have played his last snap with the New York Giants. The Celtics suffer their first loss thanks to the incandescent Anthony Edwards and Nikoli Jokic passes Lebron James in all time triple doubles. Demonse, where we must begin, though, is with a football game that if you were on the West Coast you probably didn't see. But if you weren't, you missed a heck of a performance from arguably the best defense in the NFL, the Kansas City Chiefs.
Speaker 3: Demonse, go right ahead, doesn't matter what the Chiefs are, man, they're gonna get the dub. So the candle business over the Dolphins twenty one to fourteen. Everybody's saying, the bigger problem is how the Dolphins is how the Dolphins can't seem to beat really good teams. Every team they've beaten is below five hundred and quite yep, far below five hundred. Actually, would you rather defending champs get their roses? Or is it better for the doubt and bulletin board material to keep flowing.
Speaker 2: Okay, So all I answer that I know Demonte I think is having some ear piece issues, but I think we'll get that figured out. While I answer hopefully here is I understand. Folks are now have adjusted what is expected of the Chiefs to away to where they flatly will not accept them being a different type of great football team that despite the fact that only one team in the league has a better record, despite the fact that they're the one seed because and despite the fact that they were or they won the Super Bowl last year with this exact offense, with the exception of Juju Smith Schuster was on the team last year and Rashi Rice was not, people are convincing themselves there is something deeply wrong with the Chiefs. If they are not high flying, if they are not a dynamic, dynamite offense, which up to this point they have not been. There is no denying the fact that up to this point what the Chiefs have been is an above average offense. Number four in the offense in the NFL in yards per game, number twelve in the offense in points per game, or in the NFL in points per game. So you know, a fringe top ten offense firmly in the top ten yards, just outside the top ten in points, and a dominant defense that just held the Miami Dolphins in Tua Tongue of Ailoa to fourteen points, had Tiekill have his worst game in more than a year, and folks simply don't want that to be how the Chiefs win games. But the question I posed to everyone on first things first, and I will pose to the audience right now, is the following, do you think Patrick Mahomes is an all time great quarterback? I think everyone is going to say yes to that. Now, I'm not gonna ask the next question that you think I'm gonna ask. I am now gonna say, replace Patrick Mahomes in your mind's eye with any other all time great quarterback in his prime. Any other one. Pick Peyton, pick Brady, pick Rogers in his prime, pick Marino, pick any of the other guys that are in the Patrick Mahomes echelon, and ask yourselves this, If that quarterback in hit the pro time of his career, had a consensus top three defense and a consensus top three head coach, would that team be head and Shoulders clearly the scariest team and the best team in the league. If you took Apex Peyton Manning and gave him a top three defense and a coach you love, would that be the scariest team in the league? Tom Brady with a top three defense and a coach you love, would that automatically be the scariest team in the league? If you then add to it that they were the defending champions and their seven and two with one bad game, one bad loss all year, with the tiebreaker over one divisional leader in Jacksonville, just got the tiebreaker over another divisional leader Miami. What would we be talking about now? You might say, well, that doesn't guarantee you're gonna win the Super Bowl. Of course, winning Super Bowl is hard. Single elimination postseasons are difficult on all fronts. But is it not correct for me to say there has been a wildly disproportionate amount of what is wrong with the Chiefs for a team that every single team in the league from a raw record perspective would trade places with the Chiefs except for Philly, and from a holistic perspective, every team in the league. If you could trade quarterbacks, would you trade with the Chiefs? Of course you would. Every team in the league. If you could trade coaches, would you trade with the Chiefs? At least twenty nine of them would, and every team in the league if you could trade defenses with the Chiefs, would you twenty eight of them would? So what are we talking about? So is it that I and this just unrepentant Kansas City homer? I won't recognize this is clearly a flawed damage team? Or am I the only one seeing this clearly go ahead demands?
Speaker 3: It looks like I want to say, I think maybe the problem is the Chiefs aren't as dominant as you may describe. You're always talking about how the Chiefs never blow anybody out. Why is that? Why is it that they never blow anybody out? They're always playing games, But other teams have the ability to blow these teams out of the water. So that I mean, in Week one they lost to them, and then you know, I consider it. I mean, that's not a bad loss. Lines are rolling, but like when you look at what other teams have done to them, it's just like it's crazy when you put two and two together.
Speaker 2: No, so listen, the Chiefs, I guess from a style points perspective, I know that they don't blow people out, except for, of course, when they do so, they blow out the Chargers, they blew out the Bears those games. You know, we're just gonna we're This is another thing we do where it's like, well, if you take out the times the offense has look great, the offense hasn't looked great. Well, yeah, I agree with that. And if you take out the wins, they've only lost, and so yes, the Ravens. The Ravens in the last three weeks have two wins the likes of which the Chiefs don't have. A blowout victory, a blowout, dominant victory over two good teams, maybe not great teams in Detroit and Seattle, but two good teams. But in the interim of that, what the Ravens have is two bad losses. The Chiefs have won a closer than you would have liked game the well, you know what, I can't call the Cardinals game closer than you would have liked. It ended up closer than you would have liked, but it wasn't actually close. The Ravens dominated that game. Right now this moment, if you had if none of us had ever seen the NFL, we would definitely say they If we didn't had no context of history that the Ravens have a very strong argument that they're the best team. I get that, But because we have and because right now the Ravens have the number one scoring defense and then the Chiefs are right there with the number two scoring defense. So you call the defense as a wash, it's not ridiculous to say that. Well, on one hand, you have a guy who is building a resume. Well, if we're talking about what they're going to look like in the postseason, Lamar Jackson's biggest question mark of his career is his postseason performance. He's won one playoff game ever in we have seen Lamar be dominant in regular seasons throughout his career and then either be hurt for the postseason or play poorly in the postseason. And the opposite's the case with Kansas City. But I'm not even asking that everyone acknowledged what I think is so clearly true that the Chiefs check every box you would want of the Super Bowl favorite, the best coach, the best quarterback, a dominant defense, now a nick but they they don't have the skill position. Guys, Well, you're not going to have a perfect football team. You are making tradeoffs, and you saw it on Sunday. The Chiefs traded Tyreek Hill for draft picks. They used one of those draft picks on Trent mcduffee. Tyreek Hill and trmp mcduffee literally ran into each other and Trent mcduffee ripped the ball out of his hands. And they won the game because of it. And people are still like, ah, they missed Tyreek Hill. Yes, this team with Tyreek Hill would be better, But would this team be better with Tyreek Hill without Trimp McDuffie, without the other draft picks they were able to make because of that trade, without the cap the salary cap space they were able to acquire because of that trade. I don't agree. I don't believe that. And there is also, and this is the part that is simply baffling to me, the proof of concept of they not only do they win the Super Bowl, they won the Super Bowl by scoring thirty eight points of being the highest scoring team in the NFL last year without Tyreek Hill. And so I there has been so much hand ringing about what's wrong with the Chiefs and the answer is nothing. So the answer is, go ahead.
Speaker 3: You guys aren't like you guys aren't hurting for Tyreek kill, but you could use Tyreek h Tyrek kill would be yeah, everything you say that you guys all missed him, but like kind of like you guys kind of do like as far as like the production that you get from the receivers.
Speaker 2: But you this is okay, here's the point that I am making. Demon's I'm gonna use. I'm just gonna make use a bad analogy, but I'm going to use it. Okay. Let's say you had a really fancy, nice computer, okay, and you traded it to someone for an electric bicycle because you needed a way to get to work. And now you have a way to get to work and you're using it, but you don't have the computer. You missed the computer. You wish you had it, but you decided to get rid of it for something you needed more. And by the way, you have with some money, you got the electric bicycle and one thousand bucks, and with that thousand bucks you bought a couch. So you're sitting on your couch missing your computer, but you get to and from work with your bike. This idea. Every time you make a trade, you are giving up something of value to get something of value back. But since they made that trade, there has been one Super Bowl played, they won it. There's been one full season played. They had the highest scoring offense in the league, their quarterback one league MVP. And this year what you are seeing is the fruits of with that trade. We drafted a bunch of defensive players and we have the best defense in the history of the team. And people are still like, well, I don't know if they should have done it. I don't. I'm just baffled by it. I'm and I don't actually think here's the last point. I don't think people actually believe it. I don't think people. I think people want the Chiefs to have to win shootouts, and seeing them be able to win games when the offense isn't clicking is so a weird and be scary. They're trying to speak and to exist in some major issue. But I'm just asking what team in the league wouldn't trade places with Kansas City And you can say Philly, but I and Philly, by the way, has been they have handled their business this year, and they've handled their business a game better than Kansas City has. And you know what, I'll ask it another way. I'm gonna ask it one other way and then we'll move on when the playoffs roll around. No matter who the Chiefs are playing, if their next round opponent is set. So if the Chiefs are playing the final game of divisional round weekend or the final game of conference championship weekend, okay, and the other teams are set, and all these other teams are like, all right, We're on to the next round. No matter who the Chiefs are playing. Are those other teams rooting for the Chiefs to win or the other team to win? If the Ravens have advanced to the conference championship game and it's Chiefs Bengals, who are the Ravens rooting for? They want to play the Chiefs and this flawed offense. If the Eagles or the Niners or the or the Lions have made the Super Bowl and it's Chiefs Ravens in the conference championship game, who is the other team rooting for? Because that's who they would They're like, oh, give us the Chiefs. Of course, not every team in the league is hoping the Chiefs get upset because they're the scariest team in the league to face. That's undeniable. All right, let's talk Eagles. Now go ahead, all right.
Speaker 3: The Eagles proved again who's the top dog in the NFC with their win over Dallas. Defense obviously had some problems in Jalen Hurts looks a little hurt. Are things are as sunny in Philadelphia as they seem right now?
Speaker 2: Well, listen, Jalen is hurt. And I thought he was good, not great in that game. But because he was injured, you give him a great grade because he fought through it. And I think Philly is an imperfect team, not because of Jalen, but most notably because, as I said before the game, and I listen, I know I picked the Cowboys. I was wrong, but a lot of the reasons I picked the Cowboys ended up being proven out. If if you can block Philly, you can cook their secondary just undeniably, if you the teams that right now this year, here's a stat. There have been nineteen three hundred yard, three touchdown passing games in the NFL all year. There have been nineteen of them. Okay, all thirty two teams, all ten weeks. Nineteen times a quarterback has thrown for three hundred yards and three touchdowns within one game. Philadelphia has allowed four of the nineteen so almost a quarter of the hands down, holy crap, great quarterbacking performances this year have been allowed by Philly. Now the flip side to that stat is the phillyeen that Philly didn't allow. Those teams are one in fourteen. The team that allowed three hundred yards and three touchdowns passing fifteen times, Philly's not involved. Those teams have one win in fourteen losses. Philly has allowed four. They're four and up. Philly is undefeated allowing these amazing passing games. The rest of the league is one in fourteen. Now they're allowing them way more than any other team. Philadelphia is best positioned of any team in the NFC. I do the Niners. You know, we didn't see him this weekend, but last time we saw him, their quarterback was spiraling and they'd lost three straight. The Lions might not be quite ready for prime time, but I do think the Lions could block Philly, and Dallas is right there. But Philly just beat them, and now you know, it's gonna be an uphill battle for Dallas to not have that game in Philadelphia if they were to play in the postseason. So Philly has handled its business. They are incredibly sharp in how they go forward on fourth downs, brotherly shove or not. But they have to me a glaring weakness that if they were to get back to the Super Bowl, I think most notably Kansas City and Cincinnati could absolutely take advantage of and maybe Baltimore. So I Philadelphia, I don't know how they're gonna shore up that secondary they traded for. Bayered Sligh and Bradbury haven't been good this year.
Speaker 3: With the Chiefs and the Eagles as far as the secondary lagging and the Chiefs not having great receivers, Like wouldn't that be like that? Yes?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but they the Chiefs played them in the Super Bowl last year with the same receivers and they scored thirty eight points. Like that's the thing, like the the idea. Now again, maybe I'm maybe I'm wrong, Maybe I am greatly undervaluing the contributions of Juju Smith Schuster. But it is literally the same receiving corps except Juju's gone and Rashi Rice is in. And I think Rashie Rice is already tracking towards being better. But I but I don't want to talk about the Chiefs angle of it. I want to get Listen, the Eagles are eight and one through nine games. They've had no Super Bowl hangover. They now they are another team that is not blowing teams out. What they are doing is handling their business. They the you know, they blew out Miami kind of they beat Miami by fourteen. That was the great drive at the end of the game that sapped the clock. They're not blowing teams out, but they're winning. They're say it again. Oh and they blew up the Fox early in the year. Yeah, no, that's right, but the and they but a lot of these If you can't blow you're drawing dead against them. If you can block them, they're gonna get in a shootout. Now, where I also give Philly credit is Jalen Hurts has proven capable of winning these shootouts and aj Brown has been exceptional. So listen, Philly is I Philly is right now a very legitimate NFC favorite and a deserved NFC favorite. I know I picked the Cowboys, but they Philly right now has earned it. What's what are you looking like?
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 2: At the top of the NFC, I mean, people like the Niners, Lions, and they just beat the Cowboys. I mean, the NFC's got I think four legit teams. The Seahawks have to take a bit of a step back, and then there's a bunch of nothing like the Seahawks getting rolled the way they got rolled. They've got to take a step back at least for the time being. All Right, let's go to Monday night football.
Speaker 3: Dwaye, do you want to talk. You've apparently been picking a fight with this guy. No, I.
Speaker 2: No, this is always Sonny. He just said they never a doubt thing. I don't really care. I didn't. I don't know. I'm not I didn't watch the show. I know he's not Danny DeVito, and he's not the guy from Horrible Bosses, so I'm not really that familiar with him. I know he was on It's always Sonny. People get mad at me when I say that. I you know that when people tweet never a Doubt they're sealing it from me that they're like, oh, Nick, You're not the first person to say it. Obviously, I'm not the first person to say it, am I the first person to really popularize it in reference to when you've won a football game that there was actually massive doubt about and maybe I think I was, but that's neither here nor there. Go ahead, all right.
Speaker 3: The only thing the Jets had going for them was Aaron Rodgers passing the ball pre game. So he clearly wants to come back early from this Achi Lees injury. So looking at the Jets schedule, what's realistic for him to come back? And when should he come back if they want to make a playoff run?
Speaker 2: Okay, he can't. I still do not believe he's going to come back, and the Jets are The Jets are cooked. The Jets tried to pretend like they were gonna be able to get by with Zach Wilson, and because they won a few games, we were like, oh maybe they can. No, they can't. And you saw it last night and the Zach played well against the Chiefs, to his credit, played passable against the Broncos, and then he was bad against the Eagles and Jalen had the worst game you know, he's had in years and gave that game to the Jets. The Giants game is the single worst win I've ever seen in NFL history. And then they were drawing dead against the Chargers. The Jets and I because I said, we were gonna be fast today because we got off to such a late start. I'm gonna talk about this at length on the TV show today, But the way the Jets managed the quarterback situation this year was total male practice. And I don't know if they were protecting Aaron Rodgers ego or the GM's ego who selected Zach Wilson, but they were in service of protecting someone's pride. They sacrificed any chance at competing for anything this year because that defense is excellent. But the people are like, when should Aaron come back? I mean, let's be the most optimistic you possibly could be and say Aaron actually would be available by the very end of the season, or call it December that he sets all the records. Aaron Rodgers are gonna come back for a five to eleven team, Like that's what we're talking about. No, he's not. And they're at the Raiders this week, then at Buffalo, home for the Dolphins, home for the Falcons, home for the Texans at the Dolphins. Their best case scenario, best case is they go two and four over the next six. That puts them that puts them at six and eight and totally cooked. So no, I mean, there's gonna be a ten win team in the AFC that misses the playoffs. And by the way, like the offensive line is still the idea that you're just going to come back on one.
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 2: Next?
Speaker 3: Wait, so, do you think the Chargers have any life like with the with the win last night or do you want to go we want to go over that at all? No?
Speaker 2: I mean, I listen, the win last night doesn't mean much to me for the Chargers. The Chargers season was on the line against Kansas City and they didn't show up. They since then have beaten the Bears and the Jets, and you know, you're happy for him, but they already have four losses. They have games left against the Lions, the Ravens, the Bills, and the Chiefs. Two divisional games against the Broncos, who aren't good with division games are hard, and then road games at the Packers that shouldn't be hard, at the Patriots that shouldn't be hard, and at the Raiders a road divisional game. I mean, the Chargers feel like they're gonna charger this and be nine and eight and maybe going into the final week of the season. The most vintage way for this Chargers season to end would be for them to be nine and seven going into Week eighteen at home against the Chiefs. Have the Chargers be in a win and in situation, and the Chiefs be in a already clinched the one seed, benching Mahomes for rest situation, and the Chargers still lose the game. That would be like the most vented Chargers season possible. Is like you when you look at the schedule and you're in the AFC West, you are praying that one of your two Chiefs games is Week eighteen because there's a chance the Chiefs are resting people there there you're a massive dog. Well the I mean, I mean, I understand the Chiefs lost Week one this year, but the prior to that, they had never lost Week one. The with Mahomes, you're hoping, if it's a division you gotta play a divisional game in the final week of the year, and you're hoping that's your Chiefs game because if they've clinched a few years ago, the Chargers beat the Chiefs in this exact scenario, Mahomes was. It was Herbert Tricky year. I think Mahomes was resting that started arresting and the Chargers got the win, but I think the Chargers are a nine to eighteen that misses the postseason. I picked them to make the playoffs for the year. I don't believe that's who they are. All right, go ahead, all right?
Speaker 3: C J. Stroud has exceeded expectations as a rookie. He's breaking records. Houston's thrilled. But you hinted how this emergence added to the disproportionate, disproported disproportion at quarterback talent in the a f C versus NFC. So we're gonna do a nick makes it right? Uh? How should the league go about fixing the quarterback and balance in the NFL?
Speaker 2: There's no way to fix it. I no, I mean I joked that we need to do a conference realignment based on strength of quarterbacks. But like, here's the and I'm not breaking news here, but aside from Jalen and Dak, take Jalen Hurts one, Dak Prescott two, who's the next best quarterback in the NFC? Jared?
Speaker 3: I mean he's hurt. He's hurt right now.
Speaker 2: Golf's not hurt. Golf's fine. Uh, Kirk Cousins, Golf hurt. Kirk Yeah, Kirk's done for the year. He popped his achilles. Kirk would have been third or fourth, but he's done for the year and isn't then a free agent. If you in the AFC, you have Mahomes, what the producers have listed Mahomes, Burrow, Lamar Trevor to Josh Allen, Justin Herbert, CJ. Stroud. Of the ten best quarterbacks in football, eight of them might be in the AFC. It's also why the NFL needs Caleb and Drake May to go to the NFC. You need some of these young and I don't even know that. You know, you can't guarantee Drake May's gonna hit, but you need some of these Like this year, the Panthers in the NFC had the number one pick, they took Bryce Young. The Texans in the AFC had the number two pick, they were forced to take CJ. Stroud. Just flip those two and you're you know what I mean. We're in a different situation now the NFC. Maybe people believe Kyler is gonna come back and change this where people believe in brock Purty in a way I don't. But the problem is Kyler is gonna get replaced next year by Caleb if they get the number one pick, Drake May if they get the number two pick, and then where does Kyler go? There's just there's no easy way to fix this. But it's just if you're in the NFC, you feel like you have so many more opportunities. Meanwhile, if you're in the AFC, you it is just a murderer's row of quarterbacks. And CJ. Stroud, who is having one of the best rookie seasons ever and just had one of the best games anyone has played in the NFL all year, is just you know, Adam to the bunch, all right, take quick break, come back, what's right? All right? Welcome back in What's right? With Nick? Right? Demon's day? What game are we play before we get to right or wrong? I should say it's a new month, so it's time for another edition of Playing your Flag.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, yeah, play play at your flag. Quick reminder, you're going to keep some from last time, and then you're gonna replace others. Last month you added the Bengals are cooked and Belichick's job security is a hot debate topic. Which flags are you replacing this month? Probably both of those?
Speaker 2: Okay, So I said before Week one that the Chiefs are the best team in the NFL. Check that Robert Sala was gonna end up on the hot seat given another few weeks, and then check that the quarterback woes will bite the forty nine ers has already happened. Check now, then I last month I added that Bill Belichick's job security is gonna be a hot debate topic. Check the Athletic today they talked about whether or not he could be fired mid season if they lose in Germany. Check. So I only have room to add one more. Luckily, I have a bad one. I said the Bengals were cooked. They obviously are not. They're terrifying now. The Bengals are in a weird spot. I thought they were cooked because I didn't think Joe Burrow was going to be able to get healthy by continuing to play football. I was wrong. He's fully healthy and they're back to being awesome. Now here's the problem for the Bengals. They here's what they their next month is home for the Texans, all of a sudden tough game, particularly since they have had they've essentially been season on the line three weeks in a row. Seattle at the Niners home for the Bills, and the week after the Texans game, actually the Thursday after the Texans game, they're in Baltimore, so that's kind of like vintage trap game spot. But the Bengals home for the Texans, then at the Ravens home for the Steelers at the Jags. So, and then they end the year, by the way, they go home for Colts home for Vikings, sure easy, then at Pittsburgh at Kansas City home for the Browns. So the Bengals are terrifying, and they are also far from guaranteed to even be a player team. But if they get in, they're I mean, with Joe Burrow playing this way, he's hands down the second best quarterback alive, has been for a couple of years. I'm glad folks are now joining me on that. People aren't. You know, you don't hear about Josh Allen quite as much you once did. I wonder why so, But the Bengals are not cooked. They're not you know, they're they are not fully safe, but they're not cooked. So we're gonna remove Bengals are cooked, and we're gonna replace it with something we talked about last month that despite Philly beating Dallas I still like, and that's Detroit being the one seat. The Lions now, coming off a bye, they have two losses. What they have after the bye at the Chargers. That's always a kind of unfair spot, if you ask me, It's not only the Lions are coming off a bye, It's that the Chargers played on Monday, so the Chargers are on a short week. The Lions are on super extended rest. After that, they have the Bears, the Packers, the Saints, the Bears, the Broncos, the Vikings at the Cowboys, and then the Vikings. The Lions to me look like at this point a fourteen win team given that schedule, so they can be the one seed Philly. And let me make sure I'm right on this, but well, the the Eagles Lions tiebreaker would come down likely to conference record, which would be tricky. I guess it would because they eat right now. Philly's one loss is a non con loss. The Lions also have one non con loss, so that's a tricky one. I think the Lion I think Philly's gonna slip up a bit in the coming weeks, even though I think Philly's excellent. What they have, and we've talked about this at length. They're at Kansas City, then home for the Bills, home for the Niners, at the Cowboys, at the Seahawks, before they finished with Giants, Cardinals, Giants, which is basically, they're gonna have a month off before the playoffs. So I think that the Lions catch the Eagles, and the Lions of the one seed. That's where I'm planning my flag. All right, let's play a game.
Speaker 3: That wasn't the good seed on there, like that wasn't coming out on top of their division. Because when we placed that bet a while ago, I was under the impression that it was them finishing over.
Speaker 2: You thought we were getting fifty demonse. You thought we were getting lost four on them winning the division.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I did, honestly, buddy.
Speaker 2: They were like minus five hundred to win the division. They were the massive favorite. That's why you liked that bet so much.
Speaker 3: I loved it, and I was I thought it was free money. Oh yeah, yeah, chat, oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, all right, well, no, we did make that bet, but it's to be the one seed, not to win the NFC North. Okay, all right, let's.
Speaker 3: Play right or right or wrong? So first, we got Josh Dobbs here, Vikings quarterback. Josh Dobbs studied aerospace engineering in school. Now he's playing out of this world. Despite not knowing the playbook or even some of his teammates' names, he came in and let an unforgettable win for his third team three months. Right or wrong, playing quarterback is not rocket science.
Speaker 2: Well, listen, Josh Doobbs obviously a brilliant guy, and what he did this weekend is remarkable and he deserves all the credit in the world. But and I tweeted this, and we can be fast on it. But I am old enough to remember in the midst of the obvious blackballing of Colin Kaepernick, that with when he had only been blackballed for like a year and was still in football shape and still available. And even if people were like, ah, he's not a great quarterback, but he was obviously good enough to play in the NFL. Whenever a quarterback would get hurt and people would be like, hey, you could sign cap what all of that just the talking points from the entirety of NFL media was well, really, what would be the point because even if they sign him, you can you can't play quarterback unless you've been there for at least a month six weeks. By that time, the quarterback's back, like he's got to be there for a long time. And since then, just in the last nine months of football, we've seen Baker Mayfield get signed on a Tuesday and lead a game winning ninety eight yard drive for the Rams on like Thursday Night Football or whatever the hell that was if you remember that game, and Josh Dobbs get traded midweek, not know anyone's name, learn the cadence on the sideline and play awesome. So maybe just maybe that you. Yes, it is not an ideal situation, but it's doable, all right.
Speaker 3: Next, all right, everyone's finally joining me on the raven bandwagon. He just blew out the Seahawks and destroyed a teaser and are looking dominant on both sides of the football.
Speaker 2: DeMont loves the Ravens and then just teases against them and.
Speaker 3: Losing and we show on Thursday. But I'm literally never doing that again, like even watching the games. It's so kind of weird. But right or wrong, Ravens are the Chief's biggest threat.
Speaker 2: Okay, so Cincinnati has earned the title because they've played the Chiefs tough, and they have the only quarterback in the league that's beaten Patrick Mahomes in a game that mattered. Oh, Nick, all the games matter. Just to be very clear, because I said this on TV yesterday and people didn't quite understand it. What is the point of the regular season demonse playoff seeding right to determine who has the highest seed, who has home field? All of this. Since Patrick Mahonmes been on the Chiefs, have they ever had to play a road playoff game? No, so they either been the one seed or been the default one seed because the one seed lost every single year. So they literally have not had a damaging regular season loss because they've been in perfect seeding and playoff positioning every single year. So Patrick Mahomes has lost three games that mattered in his career, one to Tom Brady as a Patriot, one to Tom Brady as a Buck, and one to Joe Burrow. So Joe Burrow is the only quarterback alive that has beaten Patrick Mahomes in the game that matters. Because of that, his team gets the title of the scariest team. They have earned that now to the Ravens and people go ahead demant say.
Speaker 3: Go go nothing. I just say that, like some get I hate bringing it back there, dude, But like, would you say the first game of the season matters, I'd say, that's a pretty big game.
Speaker 2: Let's see, Well let's see. You mean the Lions game. Yeah, I mean, I mean, let's see if Chiefs get the one seed. How much does it mean.
Speaker 3: For your soul?
Speaker 2: But certainly matters for the other team maybe. But I'm what I'm saying is if the Chiefs end up with the number one seed this year at fifteen and two or fourteen.
Speaker 3: None of it would have mattered, is what you're saying.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm just I'm just asking. I'm the here's I am asking that if if you end up achieving your the maximum, the biggest reward for the regular season is playoff seeding. If you end up with the number one seed, then I would argue the losses didn't matter. Now, if you end up being a game out of that one seed mattered greatly, We'll see. So we'll see if that game ended up mattering for the Chiefs. Now to the Ravens and the point I was trying to make, and people will get mad, But a quick history lesson on Lamar in the Ravens. Lamar's first year in the league, he did not start until late in the season. He took over a middling at best team. They immediately went six and one, looked awesome, and then in the playoffs he was terrible. Lamar's second year in the league, he started from day one. They not only started six and two, they finished fourteen in two he was the league MVP unanimously, and in the playoffs looked terrible. Then next year the Ravens started you guessed it, six and two, and then in the playoffs beat the Titans and then lost to the Bills. The next year he started six and three and then got hurt. And last year they started seven and three and then he got hurt. I say all that to say this, the Ravens are in the I'll believe it when I see it in the postseason. Group. Sorry, we do this in sports all the time. This is essentially what the uh James Harden Rockets turned into. At some point it was like, Yep, great regular season, I'll believe it when I see it in the playoffs. I need to see you come through. So the Ravens defense has been unbelievable, and Lamar has a case. He has been the MVP of the league, but there is and I take the team very seriously, but there is a bit of a I have seen it fall on its face too many times in the postseason that Ravens operation for me to fully believe in them, and I think that's fair. I think that's what a lot of people do with the Gubins. He's paid and they have more weapons. But I need to see it. All right, let's do the Raiders.
Speaker 3: All right. But it looks at their celebration you would think that the Raiders had just won a playoff game, but they were actually lighting up cigars to celebrate beating Tommy DeVito and the Giants to move to four and five. Right or wrong, Raiders were celebrating firing McDaniels, not the win.
Speaker 2: I mean both. They were celebrating both. They wouldn't have done that had they lost. And I understand that a lot of people think it's a bad look. I thought it was charming. They were just so sick of McDaniels. They gotta win. They played great. Good for them. I'm not gonna rain Jimmy. The Raiders haven't the oh yeah, yeah, the Raiders haven't had many good moments lately. All right, de Monsei, Let's skip all the way down to the college football game, because you were at what I thought was gonna be the college football game of the year Washington USC. Go ahead.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I went to the first my first college basketball or football game with Daniel Victor and the guys Chauncey shout out to Chauncey.
Speaker 2: Instead of even asking me the question, hold on, instead of even asking me the question. I don't care. I don't care that Caleb tell me what you thought of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was a that was This is unfortunate. But I do think that his play style is pretty crazy. It's the it's the little move that he does, like where he liked, the little angle that he takes where he gets. I mean, somebody did a front flip when we saw the game the other day.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: I thought it was cool. But I think that, you know, he's gonna have guys like Joey Bosa pulling up on him, and I don't know if that's the same type of stuff. It's gonna fly. But I mean, obviously, athleticism is gonna follow you wherever you go. But uh, but I'm curious to see how it translates to the pros.
Speaker 2: But do you think of the environment at the USC?
Speaker 3: It was crazy, It was crazy. It was It was the most people that I've been around in a very long time. It was like so many people. Man, energy was great. Uh. I really like the music that the band was playing a lot of familiar songs that I just didn't expect them to like do it instrumental to. But uh, but yeah, no, it was. It was a great experiens. No defense was played. Got to see a lot of offense. It's very cool.
Speaker 2: Who's wearing the Michigan outfit? And why are they wear Michigan outfit?
Speaker 3: To Quincy Quincy Quincy, I'm so sorry.
Speaker 2: Just drop an F bombs. You're saying one hundred percent, one hundred, one hundred all right, So go through the questions as they start with Joe Joey.
Speaker 3: Joey Demontel said, Nick, do you think C. J. Stroud has the potential to be a top three quarterback in the league with Mahomes and Burrow?
Speaker 2: But sure, I mean the I mean a fun exercise that I was doing the uh yesterday off the air, was you get any quarterback you want just take Caleb out of it. Just guys, are the pros for the next decade. Mahomes is the first pick, Burrows the second pick. Who's the third? Some would argue Lamar, some would argue Jalen. I think CJ would get some votes. I think see if we're talking long term, I think Seed. I think Trevor. Obviously some would argue Trevor, but he's put himself. He has acquitted himself as well as someone can through half a season, all right.
Speaker 3: Next Daniel christ Chriss, Should the Packers be throwing the rest of throwing the rest of their season? Do they have a chance for a good quarterback in the draft.
Speaker 2: I don't know that they have to throw the rest of their season. I mean they might just be losing games. I mean the Packers are really really bad now. They have games left against the Giants, Panthers, and Bears.
Speaker 3: So I the that.
Speaker 2: But somebody I believe in Shador as at least an interesting NFL prospect, and he's not gonna go top five if he goes in this year's draft. Now, I'd be very interesting for to see Shador be like, Hey, guess what should or are you're going to Green Bay, Wisconsin, have fun and so but I mean the Packers, obviously you're gonna have to move off love. I think after this year, all right, and let's go to.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: Actually, you know what Deco Bird wanted to ask about the NBA In season tournament. I need to see more of it. We only saw the one games of pool play, and Ali said, DEMANDE quit fading the ravens and your teasers. All good points. I gotta get to work. I'll see you guys out Colin today around one o'clock Eastern. I'll see you on First Things versus Three? What's right