Speaker 1: Kutbooms.
Speaker 2: If you thought four hours a day, twelve hundred minutes a week was enough, think again. He's the last remnants of the old Republic, a soul fashion of fairness. He treats crackheads in the ghetto cutter the same as the rich pill poppers in the penthouse. Wow to clearinghouse of hot takes, break free for something special. The Fifth Hour with Ben Maller starts right now.
Speaker 3: In the air everywhere, The Fifth Hour with Me, Ben Maller and Danny g Radio. We have slid into a Sunday and today a day that I said, well, it is Easter Sunday, and I'm sure there'll be some other things going on.
Speaker 1: It is the twentieth day of April.
Speaker 3: Today, April twentieth is the day there and other than the big holiday, it is National Lookalike Day today.
Speaker 1: It is go fly a Kite Day today.
Speaker 3: And if you like the weed, it's a big day in the weed world today, big day in the weed world. And also the last day of passover, so you can go out eat some bread later on.
Speaker 4: So crossing, Yeah, what a crossing of those two things there. Smoke weed every day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you got that, you got the easter. You got the you got to go fly a kite, you got that. It's also National cheddar fries Day today. That doesn't need to happen. National baked ham Day with pineapple, that makes sense, don't. Don't people eat that on Easter? And that like an Easter thing. It's a National Pineapple upside down cake Day. Pretty solid cake pineapple. I don't eat it very often. I've only had it a few times in my life. I remember liking it. Pineapple upside down cake. Again, I haven't had it in a long time.
Speaker 4: That is really good. You have to get it at like a fancy restaurant, though.
Speaker 3: Bougie bougie, bougie bougie bogie. But we're hanging out here, Danny and I, and it is the e mail bag. And then what did you should start with the basketball from yesterday? No, I'm gonna save that for the radio show tonight, Danny, because I don't know it sounds warm up act plus.
Speaker 4: We recorded this last Tuesday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, last exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this has been in the can in the we call it the bank, the audio bank.
Speaker 1: We actually did this two years ago.
Speaker 3: We don't even know what's going on anyway.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Ohio. You still think the Clippers are lob city shut?
Speaker 1: How dare you?
Speaker 3: I'm going back. I'm going to Ken Norman. I'm going old school clippers. I'm going I'm going back to Gary Grant. I'm going old like nineties clippers is what I'm doing, all right? Or eighties maybe even eighties are here? We go mail bag time, mail back, mail back, mail bag. It's this bag.
Speaker 1: I first went up.
Speaker 3: Is from our buddy Kwang from he says Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam. He signed his emails like that anyway, Big Ben and Danny g did you hear about the radar study that reveals a vast subterranean complex beneath the Pyramid of Giza? And he says how deep it is? And uh in uh deeper than something I've never heard of in Dubai. I guess it's a big building in Dubai. How is this possible? Quang says, I did see the story. Has it been verified? There were some people skeptical of whether or not that's true or not, whether the story was accurate or not. But there there must be some amazing mysteries of the old world. And I'm not like shocked that there might be some other I think there's things in the oceans that we have no idea these, These are a TikTok things that are flying out of the ocean. I think there's like some species, whether they are from here originally or they're from somewhere else, that live in the bottom of the ocean.
Speaker 1: I totally buy that.
Speaker 3: I don't think it's outrageous to think there might be some. Now, if there is another like sub part of the planet. Can you imagine if those people were right, the Hollow Earth people that send me emails? Do you imagine, Danny, if there's actually a hollow Earth and there's some kind of like gremlins and creatures living in the middle of the Earth, and they were right, the Hollow Earth people, and we all goofed on them all those years.
Speaker 4: Man, check this out. This popped up this past week as well. The James Webb Space Telescope has detective methane and carbon dioxide in the atmosphere of exoplanet K two eighteen B, which is located one hundred and twenty light years from Earth. These findings suggest the planet could be inhabited with life. It says the detection indicates active chemical processes and the possibility of environments conducive for life. Further observations are planned to explore these prospects. So they think there's aliens on this planet.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's wild.
Speaker 4: There's like an equal person beside it and another one inside, and it has big guys.
Speaker 3: They're looking at us coast to coast. It's like that famous quote. I think it was somebody named Arthur Clark who said there are two possibilities that exist. Either we are alone in the universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying when you think about the reality. I don't think I think to think that somehow this is just it's so crazy when you get out of the city lights and you go out and look out to the heavens and you see how many stars there are, and you think there's planets all around those like, there's probably tons of life out there far far away, and the issue is whether or not we can get to those people they can get to us, And yeah, I buy. Also, Quang says, what happened to the backscratcher segment on the Fifth Hour podcast.
Speaker 1: That is a great point, Danny. We have not done the backscratcher.
Speaker 3: We pretty much gave off because we were getting a few and we got to a round number and then after that we kind of like we just kind of stopped doing it. We should bring that back the reviews on the podcast, and I know I've been trying to promote the pod on the Overnight Show and mixing that in.
Speaker 1: In fact, we just got one a few days ago.
Speaker 3: How about this, I'm looking right now on the Apple podcast.
Speaker 4: Are you going to do an impromptu backscratcher feature?
Speaker 1: I think we should do that right now? Here we go Backscratcher.
Speaker 4: That was the intro, the old intro. Remember Backscratcher I made I mean I made that up. There was no introd, nothing through Way Nick.
Speaker 3: Through Way Nick wrote in this week, he says, I call myself a PC listener podcast. I'm on the dreaded day shift, but love the sleep pattern. I started listening to the Ben Mather Show live just before his nine vacation. That's that's why there was a six month, twenty six day vacation and got hooked upon his return.
Speaker 1: And here I am the fifth hour.
Speaker 3: I chase that with a fifth five hour energy, says says our guy through Away. Nick. Well, thank you, Nick, very kind I appreciate that. That was the first review, by the way that we got in like three months. It had been it had been a minute, Dan, it had been a while, but we stopped mentioning it. So when we stopped mentioning, mentioning the review thing. But that does help us out, not that we we're up to where we had four forty something for forty one. I think it is on the podcast review thing, so we're nine away from another round number kind of around number four fifty.
Speaker 4: Now. Has our overall rating recovered yet from you and gascon talking politics?
Speaker 3: Ah? Yes, yes, we had Gascon put on the entire five news lineup when I was doing the podcast, and the pod.
Speaker 1: Od ratings did not do very well.
Speaker 3: But we are back up to a four point nine and so that's pretty good, right. We can't go much higher than that. We're not gonn gonna get a five. We're never gonna get a five. And yeah, that was that was right? That was It was like when was that COVID I don't know when that was that was. It might have been the COVID time you put on. Yeah, we just put these guys on. They were fine. I didn't have a problem with it, but many of you did, so you let me know you complained and and all that, but that does help us out. We did forget about a quang, so thank you. If you want to give a review, Apple Podcast, paid podcast dot Apple dot com, slash us slash podcast, the Fifth Hour, and that that.
Speaker 1: Does help us out.
Speaker 3: Everything's archived right there and on the iHeartRadio app. We've been trying to get people, Danny on the promos I've been doing on the Overnight show to get people to leave. You can have the Fifth Hour as one of your presets. So the company wants you to have. Fox Sports Radio is a preset to listen live on iHeart, but you canna have the Ben Malor Show. You're gonna have the Fifth Hour podcast all pre set right there. Danny's on with Covino and Rich. You're gonna have them on your your presets. You want to go that direction, So it's.
Speaker 1: Kind of cool.
Speaker 3: Man's I use the I actually do use the iHeart app. I'm not like there's everything gone there like every station you can possibly want, every podcast you can possibly want. I have it on my phone.
Speaker 4: Usually your pe ones are stalkers.
Speaker 1: Man, I love you, Oh.
Speaker 3: Thank you I appreciate that the voice of lame jokes. But at the top of my presets, I have Fox Sports Radio, I have what do I have? I have the Malor Show, this podcast, I have AM five seventy is on there. I have that Conway from KFI. I got that. That's on. I don't listen too much to that.
Speaker 1: That's that's what I have on mine. Let's see what's next.
Speaker 3: On the mailbag, Ben and Dan, this is Nate from Dallas, it says, guys on then there was an earthquake in southern California this week. I saw this clip on Instagram of the elephants at the San Diego Zoo and I thought, of you guys, what do you guys do during the earthquake? So, Nate, have you seen this video?
Speaker 1: I'm sure you guys bight talked about it. The elephants at.
Speaker 3: The San Diego Zoo during the earthquake, they formed an alert circle. This is wild, dude, this is the animal Kingdom at its finest right here.
Speaker 4: Yes, man, if Clay Travis was doing the Animal Thunderdome podcast with me, we would have covered this. And I got one of those stupid alerts on my phone that there was an incoming earthquake, and it's said to drop cover and get ready for an earthquake, And so I put CoA in the middle of the living room and I'm waiting, and I'm waiting, and nothing happens. It was a false alarm. For how far up north I am compared to San Diego.
Speaker 1: I actually did wake up because of it.
Speaker 3: I was sleeping during the earthquake, and my wife woke me up and said, hey, having an earthquake, and she was worried that stuff was gonna fall from the ceiling, and I was like, dude.
Speaker 4: The anxiety of getting one of those phone alerts before the earthquake actually hits. They have spent years trying to get this to where there's some sort of you know, ramp for us to like be ready, whether it's ten seconds. I read something that what they're hoping is they can give people at least twenty seconds. That's a dream, I think. But there's been big earthquakes here. There are bigger earthquakes in southern California where we had like five seconds before the earthquake actually happened. So all that does for you is maybe gets you away from, you know, where a mirror is hanging up in your room or something like that. Maybe you can at least get to a part of the house where something's not going to crush you to your death.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was initially these You go, right, I always go to the earthquake website they have, I think most people do these days, and you go, all, right, well, how big an earth was that?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 3: It was that big? You know? Was it was it a you know seven?
Speaker 1: No, and they always go big.
Speaker 3: It was originally like a six, right, and then it went down to like a five or something like that. This week there was a five point six earthquake in Indonesia. There was a four point nine. Where was that in Tonga? Uh, the Galapagos Islands had a five point and these are there's like four's and fives quite a bit. In Chile this week there was a five point six magnitude earthquake.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I didn't.
Speaker 3: I was awake because I got woken up and then my phone obviously like everyone else, but we did not form the alert circle like the elephants nate.
Speaker 4: So just shows you how amazing the animal kingdom early is.
Speaker 3: That's great, that's awesome, so sweet, all them just Hey, we.
Speaker 1: Got to look out for each other.
Speaker 3: All right, let's everyone get in a circle here, let's protect all right, Steve from Tampa, Right, since it's Ben and Dania, I enjoyed Benny's Basketball injury Bingo this week. How much research did you actually do before you made your picks? So we brought this back. Then it's Benny. I said we're gonna do this last week on the podcast. I forgot, and then our buddy from San Francisco called up to remind me, and so then I was gonna do it, and then I did it like the next day, and Tony from the Bay reminded me. So it's it's Benny's Basketball injury Bingo or NBA injury Bingo and all that stuff. So what I did, Steve, this was pretty Obviously we're only picking five players, so you know, at the very top, you got to get Kawhi Leondard.
Speaker 1: That guy is the og.
Speaker 3: He is the Otani of injury in the playoffs, so you want to get him. And then I just tried to pick as many older players as I could get, Like I didn't get my hands on Lebron, but Lebron's it would be a good one. So, yeah, we brought that back. Anybody on the Clippers is half of what Kobe Bryant is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was out of context audio.
Speaker 3: Mike from Wisconsin writes and he says he I been in and Danny, do you think that Elon Musk actually bought Twitter not to save free speech but to find chicks. That's from Mike He's and then I guess there was this story going around. I guess he's been hitting up random women on X to have his babies.
Speaker 4: Is that? Yeah? But he pays, well.
Speaker 1: How much does he pay?
Speaker 3: Do we know how much he pays?
Speaker 1: I'll have one of his babies. How much does he pay?
Speaker 4: There's a report from one of his past baby's mama's let me let me look it up to give you the number.
Speaker 1: There was a story.
Speaker 3: This reminds me of a very famous boxer who was a big star in the nineties when I started in sports radio, and he had a habit of knocking up random women who loved loved his boxing, and he had a stand. He had a standard fee, but he would actually pay the women to not have the baby. He didn't pay them to have the baby, he paid them not to have the baby. And he had like a going rate. There was like a standard boilerplate contract that his people had worked up to not have.
Speaker 1: Elon Musk was like, I want you to app.
Speaker 4: Here's the story I was thinking of. Elon Musk offered Ashley Saint Clair fifteen million dollars to keep quiet about the son he had with her.
Speaker 1: Oh but she didn't keep quiet.
Speaker 4: It says fifteen she. It says, how would you do that? It says. Elon Musk allegedly offered Ashley Saint Claire fifteen million to stay quiet about giving birth to their son, his thirteenth baby, before she shared the news publicly in February. He said, I'll give you one hundred thousand dollars a month if you stay quiet about the child. According to an interview published by The Wall Street Journal.
Speaker 3: Okay, that seems like a reasonable offer to stay quiet. But she needed the attention. I guess right she wanted to did she like.
Speaker 1: Really, that seems like a good deal.
Speaker 3: To me A hundred. I imagine getting one hundred thousand a month and you don't have to do anything.
Speaker 4: I don't think my dad has paid one hundred dollars in my first eighteen years of my life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's it's not so anyway, all right, So Mike, I I don't. Yeah, listen, good for Elon Musk. He's got the money. And well, these guys, they gets so much money, they just can do weird crap. You got so much money. It's like, uh, the guy from Amazon's just sending random celebrities to space because he can like the ultimate fu, you know, to send rich, famous people to space.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then they'll and then they'll act like they accomplished something awesome. They didn't go to NASA to train all female crew going up to space, and they were prancing around like they did something amazing. What's the training at NASA normally? Do you know how many years it is to go to space?
Speaker 3: Many many years? You got to pass all these not just the physical but the academic stuff.
Speaker 4: Yes, in the in the in the mental strength. It takes right and yeah, and these chicks just go up there because they have money in their famous Yeah.
Speaker 3: That's the way the world. It's They go out to eat when I of this stuff in my younger days with baseball players who were well known, and we go out to eat and they never had to pay for their food I'm like, what the you know, I gotta pay for them, but like these are people can afford to pay for their food. I was like, no, no, you tell you.
Speaker 1: Know, you don't pay at my restaurant, you know.
Speaker 3: I was like, well why not?
Speaker 1: Anyway, it was very uh and then the term vomit commet. That is a that is a space term.
Speaker 3: They the astronauts when they're training to go to space, they put them on the vomit commet. They fly them up zero gravity. And so that's where the term vomit commet comes from. It's an actual thing that they do at NASA. Well, we have some NASA people from retired NASA people that listen, so they can send a nice email.
Speaker 1: And if you want to send.
Speaker 3: An email about anything, whether it's something we're talking about now or something we should talk about, you can send the email Real fifth hour at gmail dot com. That's Real fifth hour at gmail dot com. Podcast p one Jeff from Boston adjacent. He says, Okay, that could be anywhere. That could be another state. He says, hey, Ben and Danny, I know you like to talk about ways to make more money. Have you thought about getting into art smuggling? Or not excuse me, ant smuggling. It looks like art, but ant smuggling. And then he.
Speaker 1: Sent me a story. Here apparently Danny in.
Speaker 3: Kenya there was a massive bust of lucrative ant smuggling, like the kind of pests in your backyard and all that. According to the story, this was an international ant smuggling ring. Authorities valued a Belgian man's stash of ants around seven thousand, seven hundred dollars. There was another stash that was found, however, the queen ants. They wanted per ant one hundred and thirty one to two hundred twenty six dollars for a single ant. Okay, well, okay, all right now, so if you have, but you can't get that many queen ants, can you, right? Queen ann is the that's the gold standard ants. Those are hard to find. But if you could find let me do the math on that. Let's say you can get your hands out of Kenya. You can get your hands on We'll do like four hundred and twenty five ants, and then you sell them for two hundred twenty five dollars.
Speaker 1: You would end up with.
Speaker 3: Almost one hundred thousand dollars. Okay, in ants, we're not talking about We're not talking about cockroaches. We're not in here talking about we're not talking about alligance.
Speaker 1: We're talking about ants.
Speaker 3: That's pretty good, But how do you get that many the queen ants? Man, I don't know about that.
Speaker 4: Not the game you're talking about practice one of the.
Speaker 1: Great nights in sports Stark radio history.
Speaker 3: That night, the night after that, during the NBA playoffs, Reggie in Detroit writes in it says, they've been Danny enjoyed the pot as always. A Newby Night was a wonderful listen this week, Ben, how come you don't do it more often? Says Reggie. Usually I forget. That's usually why I plan on doing it often.
Speaker 4: I like to do it.
Speaker 3: I'd like to do it once a month at least. I got some good feedback from people that like, oh, you should do that more. You should.
Speaker 1: I feel like we do it too much. It cheapens it.
Speaker 3: It is like this weird sweet spot where you want to do it just the right amount of time, not too much.
Speaker 4: And it's like you always say, rare and appropriate, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Rare inappropriate, verre inappropriate. So but it was fun. People are so nice on Newby nine and it's great to hear some new voices and there's no schmucks. Everyone's polite and the big fans and they tell these stories about how they listened a long time and it's good.
Speaker 1: It's good for the ego.
Speaker 3: So we should do it more, Reggie, I don't know why we don't. Well, we'll try to do it at least once a month. Matt from OC from the O c O c Are You Down with Me? Rights in on the podcast. He says, Hey been Danny, I heard you guys talking in the past about Coachella.
Speaker 1: Did you see what Reggie Watts had to say?
Speaker 3: Uh? Who do you know who Reggie Watts is? Danny, am I supposed to know who that is? I don't know. I don't know, he said. Of anyway, I guess this guy. Is he famous? Reggie Wats?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know who he is. Anyway, he says he gave this quote he said of Coachella. He said, it's nothing more than vibes. Curated for Influencer Culture.
Speaker 4: Reggie Watts is a comedian, musician, and it says beat boxer and actor.
Speaker 3: Okay, I don't know I'm a beatboxer.
Speaker 4: Two all right.
Speaker 3: So, Matt, you have sent me a quote from someone I don't know who they are, and you want me to.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's a good quote.
Speaker 3: I don't know who this is, but it's a good quote. I guess it seems based on my when I pop on Instagram, when I'm not seeing booty models on there, I'm seeing people that have gone to Coachella, and it does look like it's a lot of just Hey, this is for influencers to go out there and look cool. I've never been. Have you ever been to Coachella back.
Speaker 4: In the day, Danny one year? Yeah, one time, and I got to DJ on one of those little side stages.
Speaker 1: Oh that's cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah, of course this was before it turned into this ten to fifteen thousand dollars for one airbnb.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, it was back when it was before the hostile corporate takeover of Coachella, back in the more pure days. A bunch of hookers and cocaine. Dave from Cleveland, right, he says, He says, I'm looking forward to meeting you this summer. Hopefully you have a date when you're coming to Ohio.
Speaker 1: No date yet, Dave.
Speaker 3: There's a couple of dates we are going to Vancouver, and that is going to be a about a month from now, a little a little over a month from now, and so's that's the first priority. Once we get through that, then we'll plan the calendar out, likely sometime in July. I think there has been some talk about doing it in June, but I think that would be too quick because we're doing the one in May, and I think we gotta let a little time pass before we do the next one. Anyway, Dave says that, oh, this is something I think you talked about this earlier, the strongest evidence ever of alien life.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I already talked about that, Dave. So I apologize. Danny g brought that up. So put that in your pipe and smoke it.
Speaker 4: Uh. I got this for Dave Thoughand.
Speaker 1: Cleveland rocks, Remember Cleveland.
Speaker 3: One of the great scenes in cinema was the opening scene of Major League. I think it was the opening scene in the diner. Remember they were talking about the oh yeah season so good. Clipper Julio writes in from West Covina.
Speaker 4: What is still wrong with your clippers?
Speaker 3: Got your mouth?
Speaker 1: He says, Hey, Ben, what are the Laker?
Speaker 3: What do the Laker historians have to say for themselves about this, and then he this is actually a story we mentioned the other night, Danny, but we'll mention it here.
Speaker 1: The data.
Speaker 3: The data suggests that the Clippers home arena did give them a home court advantage in a large way.
Speaker 1: And this is about the wall.
Speaker 3: So they've crunched the crush the numbers on the two billion dollar Clipper Arena. After twenty five years of downtown there what used to be called Staple Center, they built the wall, which you don't know what the wall is. It's like fifty something rows there. There's like four thousand something people and they're right behind the basket. It's kind of like an old college set up or something like that. Well, they did a deep dive on it this week and they noted that there was only one team that held opponents to a lower free throw percentage this season than the Clippers, and that was the Rockets in their home games.
Speaker 4: The Clippers have been in the past.
Speaker 3: I can understand why you're happy trying to go through the archive and the bank can find any of the old anti Clipper stuff.
Speaker 1: The Clippers have been good for a generation. That's an you're dating yourself. Anyone that rips the Clipper O the Clippers. The Clippers have dominated.
Speaker 3: They run LA, they own LA, and they've dominated.
Speaker 4: They don't even jennerally, we can't even afford Rent in LA. Sure a Clipper fan.
Speaker 3: The only thing you're gonna win is passwords. Oh man, these are some voices of the past here that are popping up out of the What's wrong with your Oh that's David in Boston. That's David in Boston. He hadn't call the show anymore of it, David. I wonder whatever happened to David? Did he also do the follow up this classic what is.
Speaker 4: Still Wrong with the Clippers?
Speaker 1: Yep, that's David in Boston. David.
Speaker 3: I messaged him when I'm one of my many trips to Boston over the years. I wanted to meet him and he explained to me that he lives on the other side of Boston. He said, across the tracks, and he said he could not make it to my destination. So I never got to meet David in Boston, but he was a he was a regular caller in the early days.
Speaker 1: Anyway, we'll get out on that.
Speaker 3: Thanks to everyone that sent email, all you guy guys, we didn't get your email nothing from from al for or Ferd Dog. I hope they're okay. Anyway, we will we will be I'll be back tonight on the radio talk an NBA playoffs, mostly NBA playoffs tonight and some NFL Draft mixed in and whatever else is fit to broadcast. And then Danny, you're back with Covino Rich regular week for you. What's your schedule we got.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, Monday will be a regular afternoon slash evening shift for us, five to seven pm on the East side. But Tuesday we're going to be filling in for Dan Patrick again because he and his crew, the Dan Nets are going to be traveling to beautiful Green Bay, Wisconsin for the Draft. They're gonna broadcast a couple of days live over there in Wisconsin. Oh okay, yep, So we'll be doing that six to nine slash nine to noon on the East coast on Tuesday. That should be fun as we get into the NFL Draft week.
Speaker 3: Well, that is impressive that they're they're going to they get a travel day off.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they got a travel day.
Speaker 3: They are on early enough where they could just take a flight in the evening and then do the show the next But I guess Dan's old at this point, right, you know Dan's getting up there.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna tweet that out, but.
Speaker 1: I don't mean that.
Speaker 4: Ben Mallin from the FSR account. Ben Maller says Dan Patrick is close to death.
Speaker 1: This just in Dan Patrick.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna go. Chris rus I remember Chris Russ I told Gary players stay alove.
Speaker 1: Gary at an interview. All right, we'll get out of here anyway. I have a.
Speaker 3: Wonderful, runderful rest of your your Sunday or Easter Sunday, and end the passover and all that, and we'll we'll be back tonight. I'll be back tonight on the radio, Danny all Week. Has anyone ever wanted to talk about the click.
Speaker 4: Austa pasta terrible edit that out?
Speaker 3: I won't got a murder.
Speaker 4: I gotta go