Speaker 1: This is live coverage up dot twenty twenty six Steelers Training Camp or the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light, Easy to drink, easy to enjoy, and brought to you in part by your neighborhood Ford Store Creator, Pittsburgh Community Food Bank, First National Bank. Let's Get Started Member FDIC West Shore Home Remodeling Reimagine by Leecomdigital, Donz Appliances Visit Donzappliances dot Com. Guaranteed lowest prices, free next day delivery, CGR Wholesale and by Hoss's Steak and Seahouse hass Is is hospitality.
Speaker 2: Good evening Stealer Nation, how we do it? Well, that's good us too. Our number three the bonus hour of the drive here as we have a couple players matriculating back down onto the field for walkthrough portion in the evening. Matt still no sign of our little lime green rookie line painting robot yet, will he needed a much much neat the day in the film room, get himself right? And uh and only only veterans out here painting the lines today. But yeah, a couple of Steelers working their way down the hill here for what will be a little bit of the traditional evening walk through for the team at the end of another busy day here on campus. Matt it's always I know, there's a lot of active I know, there's a lot of things that you and I bring up every single year, and so if you're a listener of this, you hear us talk about some of these same things. You know, we talk about the mountains in the background, We talk about how a lot of the times the sky looks painted out here and some of that fun stuff. One thing that never ceases to amaze me, and it's really cool because we're here when practice starts. We're kind of here for the long haul until campus closes down. It is so cool just seeing the campus every day come to life. Oh yeah, and then crescendo back down to Silith.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean in a big way. You get here like an organize. It's like an organizer or or most didn't quite come out out right organism organism. Yeah, yeah, yeah, it is.
Speaker 2: You know, you're you're here in the morning, you're here, I mean, you know, it would have been fun. Sun's rising. It's real quiet. There's maybe a couple of grounds crew, grass cutters, whatever, maybe a couple of starting to wake up coaches and a little bit a little a little bit of morning.
Speaker 3: Dude out there.
Speaker 2: You know, you walk to breakfast, get your coffee, all that good stuff, and then the fans start rolling in, and then practice starts picking up, and it's just absolute chaos for five or six hours, and then you start to see it dissipate and everybody leaves and it gets quiet again. It is I love the kind of just the life form that the campus it. As you're looking down here in the corner at some of these grounds crews, what are you spying on down there?
Speaker 4: There?
Speaker 3: Looks like there's a section that's uh giving them problems again they're digging up there on the fifteen yard line, sixteen yard line.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm sure they will. They'll get it right as well as they always.
Speaker 3: Totally dig it out. And yeah, starting over with a couple of spots probably brought some saw it.
Speaker 2: Over Addyshack joke in there somewhere. Ian tweets and says, gentlemen, I got my face burn off today watching McAfee. Aaron Rodgers again to Sun was out It sure was. Aaron Rodgers again talked up Roman Wilson today It also looked like he lined up as wide receiver three during the two minute drill. I know it's early, but are you impressed with his camp so far? Excuse me? I burped there, Geez Luise.
Speaker 3: Cautious, extreme optimism, Well extreme might have been. I think he's very much in the mix as a number three. I think he's very different than Jeremy, so maybe they'll be sort of situational. Was the three? All buzz has been great going back to many camp et cetera. I've said many times I think Caleb and Roman are the two guys that are happiest about the coaching change, just to get a new set of eyes evaluating them. I think he's taking full advantage of the situation. But little fast receivers should look good in these environments, absolutely right, right, you know.
Speaker 2: They alutely absolutely should. And that's the first start.
Speaker 5: Though.
Speaker 2: If you can't do that, then.
Speaker 3: Uh right, if you're failing that test, then you're you're swimming up stream.
Speaker 2: Sudesh tweets and says missed last week because of family vacation to MAUI wondering if anybody has stood out to you guys.
Speaker 3: On the internet in Maui.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what the heck podcasts in Maui.
Speaker 3: Right, that sounds like a lot of playing time.
Speaker 2: I've been to Hawaii before. I did radio hits from Hawaii. That was my own stupidity, though I should have just been enjoying myself. Also says I've been on an Apple TV kick, caught up on Monarch, and I'm working on Palm Royal. I need to get the I need to get the Apple TV subscription back because.
Speaker 3: Uh oh it's trong.
Speaker 2: It's it's real good, like we did ted Lasso and Severance and and all that. And there's some more.
Speaker 3: Good shoe Seas coming out. I just heard.
Speaker 2: I know my my wife's gonna make me get get the Apple TV back whenever that comes out.
Speaker 3: We're big on uh Shrinking is a very good show.
Speaker 2: I've been told that. Yeah, yeah, big. I'm a big Harrison Ford and Jason Siegeal fans, so I need to need to check that out.
Speaker 3: I just finished the The Cape Fear, the New Cape Fear last night. Yeah. Yeah, it's very different than the movie. Okay, but good.
Speaker 2: A lot of players heading down the hill now for walk through? Who stood out to us? I think MAXI.
Speaker 3: Today yeah, I think question.
Speaker 2: I think Dalen Everett and Jamel Dean as well. I would, I would, I.
Speaker 3: Would say a lot of good buzz about those guys. Santa Samuel got his hands on the ball again. It seems like that happens every practice. Why Black had some good reps too, maybe one.
Speaker 2: Ray, you know, because he's made a couple of he's made a couple of those Oh look there it is.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, he's definitely when you get kind of grumpy with him, like oh and then he's like, ah, yes, I don't golf, but a lot of a lot of you golfers will be like yeah, and then but then I hit that one drive on the seventeenth hole and now I gotta come back.
Speaker 2: You know, no doubt that is a that's a very good golf analogy that you play like crap and then you hit that one shot that you're like, you know what.
Speaker 3: I got it in man, I can do this. I did that once. Why can't I do it forty three times?
Speaker 2: Or you know it's tough. Mister Steele City says, what's most likely A Mason Rudolph gets traded, b Will Howard or Drew Aller gets cut slash sent to the practice squad. See we keep four quarterbacks. Well, I'll tell you this right now, Drew Aler ain't getting cut.
Speaker 3: I say Aler's not getting cut. D could also be someone gets a hangnail and ends up on ir.
Speaker 2: Absolutely absolutely, I'm about to go do it. I might go with d if we could add that as ow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm about to go do a night show at Jerry Dulac. And I trust his insiderness with this team, and he thinks four is very possible, I'd understand it. I still think Rudolph getting traded it's possible. I think all are possible, except for Aler getting cut.
Speaker 2: I think I think pretty much everything is possible. But I will tell you that Aaron Rodgers and Drew Aller are making this team.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Whether it's yeah and Ali will be one, be one and want to be a three.
Speaker 2: Whether it's four exactly right, exactly right. So, whether it's trading Mason Rudolph, whether it's trying to stash one of those guys on the practice squad with an injury, whether it's keeping four, eight and sixteen are going to be a part of that equation.
Speaker 3: So watering whole conversation. We had a couple of nights ago. It may have been the night year of your anniversary. Some people thought, well, Howard would clear waivers, that if you cut him, he would clear waivers. But then he has to choose to pick your practice squad. That's a good point, and he might because you know, I mean, that's harder for a quarterback to say, I'll just go be a Carolina Panther and I don't know anything they do, but they also just cut you.
Speaker 2: Sure, So that means that three third round back a couple months ago.
Speaker 3: And I think a lot of that would depend on what his preseason tape looked like totally, because he doesn't put any tape out for the rest of the league since he's been drafted.
Speaker 2: Yes, that that to me is we I think we'll really start getting a clear picture of the legitimate possibilities with these quarterbacks once we get into a couple of preseason games.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think. And Howard to me, is the biggest wild card with those.
Speaker 2: I completely agree.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know what Rudolf's going to do because.
Speaker 2: He out here he looks four out of fourth in terms of throwing the football. What you and I just discussed in the previous hour. If it was all about your arm strength and throwing the football, Will Levis would be a starting quarterback something. There's much more to it than that, and that's where he needs to get in stadium and really really show that stuff. Pittsburgh Conversation asks, did anybody really stand out today on the first day of pads? Any fringe guys or make or break guys like Roman Wilson, Caleb Johnson, Drew Aller, Will Howard, Rookies, et cetera. We've covered this. I liked what you laid down about max ihan Achure, how you thought he had a really good set of one on one some of those against t J. Watt. I thought there were some awesome battles between Fraser and y A Black, because that's like, that's like hul Cogan and Andre the giants, you know, like the like they they both below, but they do it a different way, you know. And and Zach's maybe the shortest or one of the shorter offensive lineman, which is fine for a center. Why a Blacks huge six six He's got his big gut hanging out over over you know, under his shirt there. And then yeah, I think, you know, I think you've seen, You've seen positivity from Roman Wilson, but grain of salt still to this point. Yeah, and then I think some of those other some of the guys like like the Daylan Everts that we mentioned, the Asante Samuel juniors that have gotten an opportunity with Ramsey and Joey Porter Junior not being a part of this process and have have really shown up. Well.
Speaker 3: Last thing, I meant to even bring this up, like in the very first segment. Again, small sample size, but it sure looks like Darnel Washington's average depth of target is getting further downfield.
Speaker 2: Okay, Oh that's an interesting You know how.
Speaker 3: He's usually just like flares out and then he runs somebody over like he's catching the ball. Certainly today down the field more.
Speaker 2: I like it. Yeah, yeah, I like to hear that a lot smooth. Dave says, is this the first Steelers training camp without a single bad character, diva type personality on the roster?
Speaker 3: I lean towards yes, But all these guys have more personality and volatility than you might guess.
Speaker 2: I I think it's the I think it's the first time, and I'm sure we could find another time. But I think it's the first time in a while that there hasn't been a massive personality ego and like clearly at the forth.
Speaker 3: That we're talking about and everybody's focused in on.
Speaker 2: But I remember when you would always say this about Antonio Brown, you would always say this about Aaron Rodgers when there were you know, some people that were like, I don't want him to be a Steeler, he's too weird. He'd be like guys probably walking around.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't know any of.
Speaker 2: That right now. There's what ninety three or ninety seven guys out there, and they've all got different personalities and quirks. And they're not all choir boys either.
Speaker 3: I bet you don't agree with all their politics or way they viewed.
Speaker 2: Like religious views, anything like that, the way they raise their kids, any of that.
Speaker 3: I'm sure there'd be some personality conflicts.
Speaker 2: There always is. That's part of what makes a locker room great, man, is you know you hear any tungch and Wolf, any of those guys, the seventies Steelers, anyone who's ever been part of success in any team sport, they'll tell you that's what That's what it takes, is getting the quiet guys to mesh with the loud guys, getting the guys from Pennsylvania to mess with the guys from Texas. Yeah, getting the super religious guys to mess with the the party or to mesh with the party boys. You know that.
Speaker 3: I hate when people compare sports to war, But like when my dad was drafted in Vietnam, they just bring you from all walks of life. You know, some people with money, some people didn't, some people could barely read.
Speaker 2: In the city somewhere from the country.
Speaker 3: Right right right, and we all got to get this platoon as strong as possible.
Speaker 2: You know that. It's that same kind of parallel. You're absolutely right. What can you do out on the field, How how quickly can you come together? And I think even a lot of times, Matt, those differences are what bond those guys together. That's what, Yeah, that's what That's what pools you together is you know, the differences that make you all great out here in these settings like this. That will do it for this segment, for that set of tweets, keep them rolling in. If you've got any more for us to get to. As we roll along here, we're gonna play you some exclusive comments from Pat McAfee him being out here, he caught up with Missy Matthews for a few minutes. We'll hear what Pat McAfee had to say. We'll continue to bring you all of our observations here as we come down the home stretch of our day five of practice coverage. Here on your twenty four to seven home of the Black and Gold, West Schueler Matt Williams and it's the Drive Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is live coverage Op Dot twenty twenty six Steelers Training Camp on the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light, Easy to Drink, easy to enjoy, and brought to you in part by Pennsylvania one Call Systems Dial eight one one before You dig SNT Bank People Forward Banking by Kalucy Chevrolet, serving the Pittsburgh area for over one hundred and eight years. Clearview Federal Credit Union. For every touchdown the Black and Gold Score in twenty twenty six, Clearview will donate five hundred dollars to the Light of Life Mission Listen CLEARVIEWFCU dot org and by Iron Workers Local Union Number three. We don't go to the office, We build.
Speaker 2: It down the home stretch of another busy day here on campus. Yeuler and Williamson with you the bonus hour of the Drive on this Monday evening, and Matt, it was a busy kind of all eyes, all attention on campus today for a couple of reasons, one of course being that the pads went on, and two being for the second straight year, one of Pittsburgh's most famous suns plums, very own Pat McAfee, Yeah, doing his nationally televised ESPN show here from noon to two today.
Speaker 3: How cool is that?
Speaker 4: It is?
Speaker 2: Pretty cool?
Speaker 5: It is?
Speaker 3: It just is. I mean, it's a big national event that a lot of people are getting more eyeballs on this place and on this team and all that good stuff.
Speaker 2: And listen, I understand, and I say, this is not only a fellow Pittsburgh like McAfee, but a fellow WVU guy. I understand. He's not everybody's cup of tea. I'm sure he's a little outspoken, he's a rash he you know, stands on the college game day set on Saturdays with his shirt off and peers. I understand he's not for everybody, But it is pretty stink and cool that a guy who's yes, from here, but never played Here's he's a proud Indianapolis Coulton, a resident of Indy still, but that he has started to come here for training camp and make that a tradition and just really kind of on a national scale even more, how cool of a setting this is and how unique of a training camp to Steelers.
Speaker 3: I think it was you that said the only two camps he goes to are Indy and Pisswick.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's it.
Speaker 2: And so obviously we know this place means a lot to him. And what's pretty cool is Pat, of course a graduate of Plumb where he attended with our very owned Missy Matthews, who's awesome. I don't think like the same exact year, but I think they were only one or two years ago. They were in the building.
Speaker 3: They were in the.
Speaker 2: Building together and I think, like not great friends or anything, but knew each other, knew each other in high school. Well earlier today, Missy, along with our buddy Max Starks, had a chance to catch up with Pat McFee and ask him about everything that he's got going on and why he decided to bring his show back to Latrope.
Speaker 6: All right, we are pleased to be joined now by Pat McAfee, the p If you show back up here back to back years, I know you've got some Yunsers on your staff yourself included. What has the process been like coming here and seeing fellow yinsers and just the love for football, not just from the team and being at the sleep away camp, but the fans as well.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think, you know, growing up here, you kind of get it that football is, you know life. It actually is like our neighborhood. And obviously we're from the same town of Plumb where the baller's ball and the players play. Of course, let's go Mustangs, we're gonna win this thing. But where I grew up and where we grew up, like if the Steelers won, everybody was happy, and if the Steelers lost, everybody was pissed. And it's like that is kind of what I expect in life.
Speaker 5: Whenever I moved elsewhere. It's not like that everywhere.
Speaker 7: So not only is it a football town, it's the football time and the fact that training camp still travels up here to Saint Vincent like it has forever, you know, with the legends have been up here. Yeah, it's like it's a nice pilgrimage for us to come back here and feel like kids again because I was here as a child. I think I took a picture of KG as a kid, and it's just, uh, it's cool. And then obviously getting to know the Steelers organization, which I assume for you is pretty crazy as well. Yes, yeah, it's like just getting to know everybody that owns it, runs it.
Speaker 5: Operates it.
Speaker 7: And then Mike McCarthy, I mean he was an employee of mine last year, so now he's the head coach of the Steelers is sweet.
Speaker 5: It's like, uh, dream come true. We feel like kids.
Speaker 7: And then obviously it's nice to showcase the city a little bit.
Speaker 5: Well, let's row.
Speaker 8: And I think that's the other thing, Pat, right when we think about this, Like you have a lot of guys on the staff and a lot of guys that you've come in contact with because of the show.
Speaker 5: Like what does that mean?
Speaker 8: Like you bring that pride to everywhere that you go, whether it's at WVU, whether it's up here in the Pittsburgh area, and when you go everywhere else at the show travels around these greater United States.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we're lucky that we get to travel and experience a lot of sports, and I think sports are the greatest thing that have ever been created. I think obviously ball is the best, Football is the best sport that has ever been created. But sports as a whole, we are big fans of, so we just try to celebrate sports as much as possible. We know how much sports have done for us, We know how much sports have done for the city that we're from, so we love sports man and I like the fact that we got people saying gone, you know, and we got a lot of inser accents out there from a lot of different cities, and I think that's a beautiful thing.
Speaker 5: But I think showcasing this city for what it is hard.
Speaker 7: Working, good people, love sports, love ball, will fight, you will drink like I think and have a good time, but it will also take care of you, give back. I think we just try to showcase that everywhere we go, and if Pittsburgh people are proud of what we're doing, I'm very, very grateful that I have an album coming out August fourteenth, and I have a song called Blue Collar Symphony, and it's about growing up in Pittsburgh.
Speaker 5: So I think I showcased my.
Speaker 7: Love for where I'm from a lot, and I'm lucky to be from this area.
Speaker 6: Mike McCarthy showcases where he's from a lot.
Speaker 5: Absolutely.
Speaker 6: He was joking last week that he wants to make sure that all the four quarterbacks here through the headset so they get what he's saying. But he said, I feel like now in Pittsburgh don't have to hide my accent. I don't have to, you know, tone it down a little bit. What do you think he sounds like to the quarterbacks?
Speaker 7: Yeah, So Aaron has actually talked to us about this whenever he was at Green Bay, So I'm sure this has been talked about. But Mike McCarthy's office, I guess was Pittsburgh and Green Bay. He walked in and he had pictures of the city, he had I think he had street signs. I think he had everything. And obviously he had a lot of insurers on his staff. Then, so Aaron talks about being a young twenty three year old quarterback, twenty four year old quarterback and you got a dog a dice right, Donner left twenty one butt and he's like, Aaron was kind of like, what, Yeah, like I think he so he has always loved the insuror accent because it obviously affects him a little bit more. Two minutes drill, you've got a guy coming in there saying it's got Don Chip dropped up that entire thing. But yeah, I think Aaron's done it since he was young. I think anybody that's ever been around Mike McCarthy has had to deal with it. And I think everybody's falling in love with it. But yeah, he's his accent's thick. It is, I mean, his his accent.
Speaker 5: He's thick, and it's.
Speaker 8: A little garbly at the bottom too, So it's like you're sitting there, You're here in the thick accent, and then it's a little bit lower than you're expecting because everybody else has a little bit higher pitch too, So it's funny.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean his dad on the bar, I think so, Like the amount.
Speaker 7: Of ins is that he was raised by I couldn't even fathom in there. So yeah, he's always kept his accent, which I respect because once you get out of Pittsburgh, a lot of people try to take your accent away from you, and I think Mike McCarthy has always remained true. And I know there's a dream for him to be in the Pittsburgh Steelers head coach. I actually told him that we got a chance to catch up with him, and then on his way out, I'm like, hey, you're the head coach of Pittsburgh Steelers.
Speaker 5: Dude. He was crazy, right, Yeah, he understands it, you know. So it's a cool thing. It feels special to be here again.
Speaker 8: Now, you guys seem to always make it to where you're here for the first day of PANS. It feels like every time.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a good coincidence.
Speaker 8: I mean, what are you looking forward to, like when you come to this prant and you guys will watch practice, like, what are you looking for? Are there any drills or any specific groupings that you like?
Speaker 7: More So, I think we got a two minute live happening today that I can't wait to watch, you know, Mike McCarthy and Aaron back on the ones and twos for a two minute offense that should be sick. Obviously, defense has to do their thing as well. At the first day of PADS. It just feels like there's a.
Speaker 5: Little bit more anxiety, you know, a little bit more tension from everybody. That's why we're here. But I guess we're still on the ramp up here. Yeah yeah, so I just learned.
Speaker 8: Yeah yeah, it's a moving target.
Speaker 5: Yeah exactly.
Speaker 7: So maybe we should have been here on Thursday instead of today. But it's good to see him, and I like that Mike McCarthy pissed off every ins or whenever you say we're not tackling okay, and everybody was like, oh, this guy's soft. He's like, we will have a physical camp. We're trying to get people. We're not taking anybody to the ground. So I'm excited to feel like, you know, the juice of this year as opposed to maybe years past.
Speaker 6: All right, Pat, thanks for time. We really appreciate it.
Speaker 5: Well, thanks thanks for moving all the way to this side of campus.
Speaker 2: Thank you for doing that, always making his presence felt. Pat McAfee sitting down there with Missy Matthews and Max Starks. It's funny, matt you know when I like, when I parked today and was walking up here, I'm like, what is that voice that's booming out all the way down the way down at the Rogers Center, I'm like, where is that coming from?
Speaker 9: Him?
Speaker 2: Like, do they have rob king on the PA system? It's just up to and then I got a little bit closer and it's McAfee and all his buddies and Aaron Rodgers. I heard, jeez, listen, don't subject to national audience to Mark, come on, that's our buddy. But really cool stuff. Always a fun day when the McAfee show is here. And like I think, Matt, I think they just rockstarred this thing. Like I think they fly in privately from Indianapolis this morning, right into Arnold Palmer across the road here, and I maybe they're having dinner now, but I think they head.
Speaker 3: Back tonight on the jet.
Speaker 2: Hop right on the jet. That's probably an easy ninety minute two hour flight tops, I would imagine, probably not.
Speaker 3: Too bad going to Indy.
Speaker 2: I think both. Like I think they just do. I think they just day tripped this thing.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, I.
Speaker 2: Think they flew out this morning. You know, Bert probably picks him up at ten am over there at the airport. And I think, I think, I know that's what they did last year, you know, you know what they say, you assume. But I'm thinking that's what they what they did again this year. But that's pretty cool. And listen, I think most most people know how special, how unique this setting is as a training camp the Steelers have here at Saint Vincent College. But anytime someone with that kind of platform can highlight that some more, that's always a good thing.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Again, a very very cool experience. I hope it goes on for years and years.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. Let's wrap up the show when we return. Maybe they'll have maybe they'll have you and I on that show sometimes, Matt. Before our day is done, let's wrap up the show here when we return. On the other side, we'll put a bow on the day's proceedings before campus goes quiet for the night. Yu'ler Williamson. It's the drive all part of our Training Camp coverage Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is live coverage job Dot twenty twenty six Steelers Training Camp or the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Like easy to Drink, easy to Enjoy, and brought to you in part by Clearview Federal Credit Union. For every touchdown the Black and Gold Score in twenty twenty six, Clearview will donate five hundred dollars at the Light of Life mission, they said, CLEARVIEWFCU dot org Easy Home Mixediors, Fast reliable and affordable Schneider Downs discover the value of big thinking with a personal focus. US steal mine, melted and made in the USA, your neighborhood Forward store and by the Steelers pro shot, they said, shop dot Steelers dot com.
Speaker 2: Final second of the day here on the drive. A campus has gone quiet and a big day in the books. With a lot going on here around Saint Vincent College in Latrobe. Of course, first padded practice, which is always a big one, and we will kind of close down today. Hearing from the boss. Hearing from the new head coach, Mike McCarthy. Here's what he had to say.
Speaker 10: Say, today's the first day of really evaluations in some ways. Definitely, I mean this is the first day padded work. But you know we're still in a restrict, restricted mode. It's one hundred and five minutes. You know, today's ramp up today Tomorrow will be limited time on the field, but definitely a chance to get into the pads, you know, get the padded individual work. You know, special teams work a little bit of combination. Then we'll you know, stay with them, you know team periods that we've been working. So you know, I just want to get as much done as I can today in in one hundred and five minutes. But yes, this is everybody looks forward to today.
Speaker 2: You guys had a very seawan Jenkins.
Speaker 4: What attracted you to him and how you envision him fitting in?
Speaker 10: Well, I think number one, a lot of respect for you know, what he's done in this league. And I think just you know, just like anything this time of year, you know, your roster, I mean, it's always ongoing, these these these discussions have been fluid just you know, frankly, his style play fits the way we want to play. And you know, Bett venteran addition this time of year. You're fortunate. You know, I've always looked at that way and you know, I'm anxious to see him out there.
Speaker 4: Backslone backers guy, Sorry, are you a back zone backers guy?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: At the same time, we've Darnell Savage. Why didn't things work out with him?
Speaker 10: Well, I just think you know, number one, uh, you know, he came fighting back, you know, from his injury and so forth. You know, and there's you know, different types of things that you look for, you know, as far as not only just in on the defense with special teams, you know, so you know, we get we gave him an opportunity, and you know, we just felt that this is it. It was, you know, we wanted to move forward and and give Jenkins an opportunity.
Speaker 2: Behind Deshaun Elliott and Jakwon Brisker. You guys have tried a number of different safeties and elevated roles dating back to Oka's what's been your evaluation of some of those other guys like Robert Speer, Jennings or Jack Henderson castro.
Speaker 10: Well number one. I think when you look at him, you look at the whole body of work, and they play all four dons specifically with with with special teams. But you know, I'm this is Jerry's already hit, this is this is the day you want to see. I think they they know they've done an outstanding job. Their energy, their understanding, so I know, I'm I'm excited about these guys, but I'm you know, this is these next two weeks are huge, you know, and then and you get that first preseason game under a belt. So but we're looking for you know, I'm looking for combinations. You know, we talked a little bit about this with the offensive line group. It's it's very evident. Also in the back end. You know, you don't just line up and play straight neck or you know, straight bass as much. You know, you have different matchup personnel groups and ability to have three safeties on the field versus you know, you know, four corners, all those things. So you want to have as much flexibility within your scheme, uh to utilize personnel because this game eventually comes down to matchup. Particularly today emphasis will illustrate that because today's emphasis is third down and fourth down. Uh, so you know you'll see I'll start working those situations. And you know, the tendency is really since the fourth down has become so prominent. Uh, you know, the trends of the league, you know, sub personnel groups, particularly combinations in those areas are you know, something that we need a lot of work on.
Speaker 4: Mike, I know you haven't seen Joey out there, but do you look at your cornerback group in general.
Speaker 11: You spoke the other day about Asante but with day and never, how's that group look?
Speaker 10: Yes, I mean it's looking good. You know, I think that the depth the young guys are the ones you're you're you know, you're really that's you know, Frankly there's a lot of reasons, not only just the quarterbacks. You know, I try to go and I've actually gone almost every one when we get to the two spot to be around the younger players. So but the corners, yes, I mean, you know you don't never you know my history training camp as a head coach. You know, tight ends, corners, receivers. I mean it's this, this training camp, regiment, this practice structure. You know that those groups are stressed, so the numbers that are important and so with that creates more opportunity. So I think all those young guys will have an opportunity.
Speaker 11: Mike, When you look at this safety guys humiliated and just the history of their playing in this league, a lot of them play like more traditional strong safety roles, lining up in the box and in the slot than necessarily the deep free safety roles. Is is that a concern for you, guys, or is that something that you think that they'd all be able to rotate between, be able to fill that deep safety role you call upon.
Speaker 10: I think you're making up some point. I think it's you know, clearly, some of the conversations we've been in as far as the range of our safeties and then also that carries over to you know, Danny Crossman and how we're gonna utilize those dbs on special teams. So yes, uh, the point is well made. It's it's definitely something that we're looking at make.
Speaker 11: Off a closs as Calm Poom Collasse.
Speaker 10: Sorry, So if you've come across as Calm Poom collective.
Speaker 3: Since they won when you arrived, has there been a moment yet where.
Speaker 10: You've kind of had a maybe a little fire into the team where they needed a little.
Speaker 3: Pet Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 10: I mean I think just like anything, you know, being being in tune with everything, just the way they practice, you know, I think our guys have hit the target. I think we checked every box, uh from an operation you know standpoint, the energy of practice. I think the I think their pace has been really good for us being in our first year together. So the tempo, you know that, you know, you see it on the clock. There's time periods. Uh, you know, there's and there's not just you know the fact you're trying to get done and within that time, it's it's how fast you're getting in out of the huddle all those things. So yeah, we we just so this would be a big day in that area too, because usually when it pass slow down, you know, there's a little more conversation, and we can't have any of that. We gotta we gotta keep going. We want to stress that neurological clock, the nervous systems and so forth. So but yeah, I mean that's trust me. I'm I'm I'm the guy that makes sure everything needs to look a certain way, and when it doesn't look a certain way, then then you know they'll be aware of it.
Speaker 2: Mike, how is this team handed the handle those stresses to this point?
Speaker 5: Good?
Speaker 10: No, it's it's been good. So schedule help some you know, I think that you know, the one two mock game is and that that that formally has worked well for me. You know, we're getting the reps, you know, as far as the box we're trying to check. You know, we're getting the situations repped accordingly. You know, the biggest stress point of our of our training camp will be Thursday, Friday, Saturday, you know, because Thursday will be Thursday and Friday will be the first time we really you know, get to have what I would call a true training camp practice, you know, two and a half hours and in pads and you know, be able to get you know through some of the one on one and call a little more combination drill work, you know, more run game work. And so so yeah, they're you know, it's a first day of pads, so we're doing okay.
Speaker 9: Like there's a lot of people out there early you from the pads on the pot Act show here. How do you kind of balance getting the right type of work in on this type of day without making it, you know, too much of a specta goal.
Speaker 10: Well, you know, we're the Pittsburgh Steelers. We played in front of big crowds. You know, we used to that that that environment. You know, I think frankly, I think this is really exciting for the young guys. I think the older guys enjoyed. You know, I think anytime you have energy around your workplace, it's it's it's it's definitely a positive thing. And uh and we're fortunate that you know, Saint Vincent in this environment with the fans is incredible. You know, McAfee's Almo this morning, he's locked and ready to go. So they're excited to be here. So you know that all adds to it. But frankly, be honest, you once you get between the white lines. So you know, we have work to do. You know, we want to play football, but we just you know, we want to go a hundred mind ire, you know, and just you know, at the end of the day, have the quality tape and and hit the targets.
Speaker 9: Sean Elliott been working on a little bit of a pitch count.
Speaker 2: And is he one hundred percent kind of.
Speaker 10: Comes to his health, Well, I mean until he goes through every you know, every every drill in every team period, I think it's you know, you probably put him in in that in that category one hundred percent. I mean, there's there's protocol, and there's protocol with these injuries. There's no reason, uh to push a guy, you know, any fact with the trainers and then and and he's part of it, you know, the players part of the conversation of return to play. Return and play is very important. Uh. And as far as the discipline of it, because the player normally wants to go, go, go, go go, and and I think, like you know, I've been doing this a long time. You have to protect them from themselves. Uh So, uh, we're just being smart. I mean, there's a lot of a lot of conversation that goes into that between the doctors, the trainers in and the player. So I think I would just say we're being diligent.
Speaker 2: Make what have you seen from Max Hansor so far?
Speaker 3: And what do you look at?
Speaker 2: What do you see from Max Hanchor so far?
Speaker 10: What are you looking forward to see from inland pass? Go on? Just frankly, impats, That's what I'm looking forward to. I want to I want to see his feet, I'm gonna I want to see the you know, I want to see the athletic ability come out, you know, his understanding what we're asking him to do. The speed of the game will be. That is a big hurdle for you know, for young guys. You know, when you get to this point, you know, you think you know the speed of the the the helmet practices is. You know, it's it's it's full speed more in the space and everything. But you know, let's let's see how it goes in the phone booth. So I just I just want to see see all of our young interior guys, you know, how they how they handle the speed in the physicality of the phone both like two more.
Speaker 4: Two more guys a thirty eight yard or on fourth down in a two minutes, okay on Saturday. Can take us through what he did on that player.
Speaker 10: I mean, isn't you know fourth and lawn and we had a you know, we had an underneath route there. You know, we're looking for a match up there with Eli. But he had he had a one on one runner and I thought he gave him a good ball, and you know, hit the back shore is obviously a huge.
Speaker 4: Play the deep well on my fourth and shorter, you know, instead of throwing at the sticks, you go for a big play or fourth down, you take that one.
Speaker 5: It's there.
Speaker 10: Well, I think like all these practices, you know, fourth and ten at that point. You know, if I was in the media, i'd be criticizing a guy calling the plazer. I don't know what the hell he was doing. But you know, but also there's an agenda here to you know, we're trying to practice. We're trying to hit you know, fourth and ten. You want to you know, you look for opportunities to practice. You don't ever hopefully you don't get those in games. So my outs, you know, my outwalk on those things. I'm trying to hit every position you know, every situation I possibly can. Uh so, but for me to come in here and dissect the quarterbacks decision and play selection and you know how it went down, don't get used to it, cause I'm not gonna We're not gonna do that. But I thought he did. I thought I thought he threw he a ball.
Speaker 2: Well, Mike Aaron said, you guys talk and you wanted to play in the two preseason games at home. How'd you kind of decide that?
Speaker 3: And how much do you really want to see.
Speaker 2: Your air out there?
Speaker 10: Well, I mean that's you know, those decisions are really gonna be made once we get up to I mean, trust me, I have a lot of ideas. I have a lot of I've talked about this, you know, I think in the beginning here we have plans, but you know, being a healthy system, let's let's see what happened. You know, what can happen between on and two. So, but yeah, he he'd like to play. I I would like to see and playing. So, but we won't make a decision until we get all the way up to it, because there's more that goes into that. Just you know, having one player plays, you know, it's it's the culmination of players. All right, thank you, Now.
Speaker 2: I'll do it for the day's proceedings. Matt, sounds like from Mike McCarthy's comments there we might get backs on backers yet here in Latrobe.
Speaker 3: To Yeah, I hadn't heard that until now. That's great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's awesome. Maybe that's something they're saving for Saturday night lights. Who knows.
Speaker 3: And they do the field painted for I was to say, we were listening.
Speaker 2: When we were listening to that, you pointed that out to me that they do have the field painted for backs on backers over there. So hey, maybe, uh, maybe some of the things that we've come uh to expect to know out here in Latrobe. Yeah, there's been a lot of change, but still a lot of constant and uh, it's so always good. It's a it's a it's a lot of fun for us to do. You want to talk about feeling feeling their presence, man, you could feel that drill from no matter where you are on campus and hear it certainly too with the pads popping and all that good stuff. But that will do it for us for today's coverage, of course, uh sn R and everything. We'll return tomorrow. At nine am with Labs and Tom to kick off nine straight hours of coverage, and Matt and I will once again bring up the Caboose from three to six pm. But that will do it for us today. Thanks to our guy Justin Miller for producing back at the Ranch for us, for Matt Williams and Unles Shuler. Take care everybody, and we will talk to you tomorrow. As always, you know where to find us. It's on your twenty four to seven home of the Black and Gold Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network