Speaker 1: Of the Law and Order franchises. SVU is considered especially watchable.
Speaker 2: We are the amateur detectives who kind of investigate the vicious felonies. These episodes are based on. These are our stories. Done done, Yay, that's messed up an sv podcast.
Speaker 1: I'm Lisa and I'm Kara, and every week we discuss an episode of us for you. The true crime is based on And we talked to a celeb guest and we've got a good one for you today.
Speaker 3: But first, we're so excited.
Speaker 1: I mean, we told you guys this last week, but now like all of the links should be up, We're ready to go.
Speaker 3: Our tour is in full swing.
Speaker 1: That's messed up live anywhere but Hudson, if you know, you know, and I know all of you guys know, we are so excited, Like we're going back to cities that we love like Madison and New York and Boston, and then we're hitting up some new ones like Saint Louis and Salt Lake City and Berlin, Bronto and Burlington, Vermont where my camp pals will all probably be there.
Speaker 3: So yeah, like, please come see us. Get tickets.
Speaker 2: Honestly, not to toot our own horns. But our promo materials look incredible.
Speaker 1: And our live show is so fun, Like we just finished our June dates and like we had so much fun in like Denver and Tempe and all these places that we went. So it's really fun. It's not just two of us sitting at a card table like doing our podcast. Like we give you visuals, we give you games. It's like a fun, live night out experience. So definitely come bring some friends. If we don't sell tickets in your city, we can never come back.
Speaker 3: And that's a threat and a promise. Thank you guys so much.
Speaker 1: Also, if we haven't talked about it on the podcast, I don't know.
Speaker 3: If we have.
Speaker 1: There is a new piece of merch in our merch store that I'm obsessed with. It's a super super soft like muscle tea that says, do you have children, detective. I'm obsessed with it. I got mine and it's so fucking soft.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 1: Somebody already sent me a message saying that the security guy at their work thought it was hilarious.
Speaker 3: I don't did he get it? Does he watch us for you? I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's a conversation starter. Get it, please, enjoy it. I love it so much, and that's like, that's it for the biz.
Speaker 2: And if you want to binge watch something, Survival of the Thickest comes out this week, so that's.
Speaker 3: Right, give it a watch.
Speaker 1: So this episode is wide releasing on July eleventh in two days on Netflix. Our very own Lisa is starring in this amazing you are Like, she's in the prom in the preview there's like two big laugh moments and Lisa's in them. So I'm just gonna be bragging on here like a like a mom and I'm like so excited to see it. Michelle but is one of the funniest people. Lisa, obviously you all know, is one of the funnest people. We got to watch the show. I'm very exciting and so that it gets a second season. Everybody flood Netflix on July thirteenth and watch Survival of the Thickest.
Speaker 2: And also our Boston venue, I do have it. We're doing the wilbur which is the Austin Boston. Need you to show up.
Speaker 1: You guys were so awesome in Summerville and now they've booked They've moved us up to the big leagues and we just can't have We just can't have a half empty house in Boston. It'll be so embarrassing it we'll be laughed out of town.
Speaker 2: So yeah, the wilbur is so intimidating in terms of the venue.
Speaker 3: It's so cool. So I'm really but a lot.
Speaker 1: Of people were already dming me being like the pre sale leake doesn't work because it was before it started.
Speaker 3: So luckily you guys are all enthusiastic and we know.
Speaker 2: You're gonna have us so many moving pieces where it's like all of these venues. Then we have the agents, and then it's like we're working with photography, the r getting the day posting everything, and then it's like, I don't know, the links might not work, get over the try again the next day.
Speaker 1: But by the time this episode comes out, all of our links better fucking be up at that's messed up live dot com, which is where all of our it's the link in our bio also, so it's like where all of our ticket think links will be. And so yeah, I mean that's all for business. Lisa, what's going on with you?
Speaker 3: You flew into la.
Speaker 1: Last night and went straight to a comedy show because you are a workhorse.
Speaker 2: Well, I was supposed to land earlier in the day, but I scheduled all these virtual things while I was supposed to be on a flight, so I had to stay.
Speaker 3: In Denver for longer. But I had a lovely day.
Speaker 2: I ate at Sam's Diner, you know which, Oh yeah, famous. I walked around and then yo kick you know the basketball player in Denver?
Speaker 3: Who everyone, I think that's how you say it. Whatever.
Speaker 2: So I walked into a store to be like, oh, maybe there's like a little I can buy for my friend Frecks or you know, no whatever, I'm like, oh, I'll just see instead. I left with a Dennis Rodman jersey. And I don't know how expensive jerseys are, but oh my god, not cheap. But it's like healing my inner child. But I did see the Blackening. How was it? It was awesome. I can't stop thinking about it, and I want to see it again, Like I have to go again.
Speaker 1: I really do this time because I really want to go. Yes, let's go see the Blackening. I loved it.
Speaker 2: Also, I went to I went in Denver, and so don't I don't really go to the regals here. I do AMC's and surprise laydown seat. Nothing is better than that. You think you're gonna be in a normal I mean I did feel bad walking in because on this well, okay, I did get high as hell before the movie.
Speaker 3: I was in Denver.
Speaker 2: So the employee on the screen it's like all the seats and you're supposed to pick a seat, and I started touching the screen and he went, it's not touch screen, just tell me what seat you want.
Speaker 3: It was so embarrassed.
Speaker 1: I'm sure in Denver he's getting that a lot, Like I really am sure that you're not his first high person trying to poke your way to a new seat. But only one person was in the theater, and I was like, oh, he's gonna be so upset when I walk in, you know, like to think, yeah, fully alone and then no, it's me. Did you have any little scream moments? Where are you in front of the man?
Speaker 3: I was stressed. I was stressed.
Speaker 2: I was holding my head, I was shifting in my seat. I was like I had to check it to like I was scared. But also one of the actresses that I loved, she was just on Watch What Happens Live and she was in Swarm. She's in one episode of Swarm that I really liked. So this girl's having like a huge moment x x Mayo.
Speaker 3: Do you know her?
Speaker 2: No, Yeah, she's killing it And I just read a thing about her in Vanity Fair. But she's very fun I mean, everyone is so good. Dwayne Perkins is a fucking star. I can't believe he wrote that. It's so funny and good and like I and classic.
Speaker 3: That's the thing.
Speaker 2: It's like classic and follows a lot of horror rules while also being innovative and exciting and fun. Oh, I'm so excited to see it. Yeah, I have to go again. I have to. And it's star studded. Yeah, it's star studied. It's Remained Fowler, Yvonne Orgy like it's really it's really good. It's just like, it's so impressive to think, you know, it's it was like a five year journey, but to think someone wrote it, produced it, starring in shit, it's like incredible.
Speaker 1: I don't really know Dwayne very much. I met him on we did a show together once a long time ago.
Speaker 3: But he was so funny. So I'm excited.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm more. I mean, I've been writing him messages. He hasn't responded to, but I'm sure he's busy. It's definitely a one bay obsession.
Speaker 1: You and I also last weekend saw the same movie but not together, but all like on the same we saw the new Jennifer Lawrence movie.
Speaker 3: We saw No harm Farlings.
Speaker 1: It has in those names like something's gotta Give where you can't remember it.
Speaker 2: I cannot remember the name of this movie ever. No, I just keep telling people I saw the Jennifer Lawrence movie. Yeah, she's a star. Like no, I have not remembered the title until this moment, Like it's really not a part of my brain. But again, funny, and all the previews for the summer look good. I mean obviously Barbie, but like joy Ride looks so good.
Speaker 3: Wait, what's joy Ride?
Speaker 2: It's in the movie with so Joyride is about like two little Asian girls meeting as children. One's adopted and one has like Asian parents and one has white parents, and they meet and they become best friends. Cut to the future, they go back to like a trip to the home country for the summer, like they're eighteen or twenty two or something like that, and.
Speaker 3: It's like wild.
Speaker 2: It's like just a wild adventure and the preview, I was cackling. Ashley park is the star, Sherry Cola is in it, a bunch of dudes.
Speaker 3: It's it's like a comedy.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, I don't know how else to describe it.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 1: And when you first said it, I think because the other movie joy Ride that has like lely Sobieski and Steve's on and it is so scary that I was like, is it a scary Like I thought it was a scary movie, and then now you're saying it's a I was like, they go back to they go back to the homeland, and then what happens, Like I thought they were gonna get.
Speaker 3: Murdered, but oh, it's like funny.
Speaker 2: It's like they end up the blonde girl from search parties there and they end up she's a drug. They end up like having to put like cocaine balloons in their assholes.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: It's like, yeah, but they have to pretend to be K pop. Like it's like a cape follow four Asian American friends as they bond and discover the truth of what it means to know and love who you are while they travel through Asia in search of their birth mothers. Love that but it just looks like it's the year of movies and comedies. Because I also can't wait for Stray Stray's the Dog Movie.
Speaker 3: The Dog Movie. Yeah, I was laughing out loud in the preview.
Speaker 2: I just I feel like this summer has has come to play like this summerl.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Will Ferrell was meant to voice a dog like It's it's looks.
Speaker 3: So cute that movie. I'm funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Now, Hard Feelings was great. It was funny. I laughed a bunch. I enjoyed myself. I wasn't stressed.
Speaker 1: I think it's good everybody go see comedies. You guys like, if we don't see comedies, they're truly like going away.
Speaker 3: They barely make anymore.
Speaker 1: And now I feel like we're just blessed with this little pocket of comedies right now.
Speaker 3: But it's just and I'm gonna see all of them.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna sign up for stubs now because I've i haven't wanted to see this many movies in a while. But also I do have a statement, if you are at all care to see Oppenheimer before Barbie, you are the problem with America, and you are why Trump won and you are you? Yeah, you are not on the side of the revolution. There's like a whole like a bunch of memes and people are like, you got to see Oppenheimer first, and then you go see Barbie as the Palette cleanser, and I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, what, even I don't have no desire to see it. I don't even care what it is to see Oppenheimer. Even though Killy and Murphy is very good looking but interesting he is. He's like, he's kind of like, you know what it is. I never thought he was like that great. And then I saw him in Peaky Blinders and he's kind of like this like strong, quiet boss type and he's just like hot to me.
Speaker 3: Now, damn yeah, I just remember him on that.
Speaker 2: I think the movie was called Red Eye with Rachel McAdams where he like takes her hostage on a plane.
Speaker 3: Oh, I've never seen that. Oh my god.
Speaker 2: I saw a T shirt at a store in Denver and it was the Adida's logo, but it said Addicted instead of Adidas, And oh and the Adidas was a pot leaf. I'm missing a lot of information.
Speaker 3: You should have gotten that instead of the Rodman jersey. Well was it different already? Well, I walked in.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 2: I really it just felt like fate. I don't know, I've wanted the Rodman jersey.
Speaker 1: So m and is like was on the bulls when you were young, Yeah, and he was my favorite so and then McDonald's used to have him on the cups and when you poured the his hair color would change on the cups if there was like a liquid in it.
Speaker 2: I had all the best Rodmen March as a kid. I mean, that's part of the reason I hoard. And I'm so scared to get rid of stuff and have this like attachment to stuff because I do regret getting rid of some of my old Like I had old eighties Madonna t shirts like Blonde Ambition era. I had this amazing fucking Rodman T shirt that's a Chairman of the Boards and I, you know, but they're just gone.
Speaker 3: They're just like at Goodwill somewhere. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I just hope they're not in a landfill. I guess that's really Oh my god, I'm like, I'm such a stoner dude. I watched a documentary yesterday on Netflix about a different type of little submarine in Denmark.
Speaker 3: Do you know about this this guy?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I know we're going along, but this is insane. So this guy, this Denmark scientist, he's, you know, one of these loser types. He's like, I'm gonna go to space and build rockets and submarines. He fucking a journalist went down under, yes, and he fucking killed killed her and he's.
Speaker 3: Serving life in prison. So we're fine.
Speaker 1: But wait, what did the story say happen? Like why did he do it? Because I know I read about this when it first happened and was like, oh my god, men are horrible, like women can't go anywhere, like they're just getting murdered. Like I remember the initial boom of this story. But then like what happened? Did he like try to have sex with her and she rejected him? Like what was like? What what made him kill her?
Speaker 3: Sorry?
Speaker 2: I I'm just looking. So it's called into the Deep Okay, a really bad name. It's not specific at all. It's we're already going too late.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Cut somebody else out casey Jesus Christ. And if you're listening and you don't care about the submarine, fast forward. But this I can't believe I forgot to tell you this. I watched the last so he the submarine thing. He was actually dating this curly haired girl who's talked about a lot, and she was supposed to go. And then this journalist, this cool journalist you know, has written for the New York Times and really cool magazines. She was actually moving to Beijing, and she had a going away party that day, but instead she was like, Oh, I'll do anything for a story.
Speaker 3: Let's go.
Speaker 2: So this journalist just met him, went down to the submarine.
Speaker 3: He came out alive.
Speaker 2: She was nowhere to be found, and he basically the first interview he said was she wasn't on board with me.
Speaker 3: I dropped her off. I dropped her off on shore.
Speaker 2: He kept lying, he's like a true and then it's one of those situations. It's like the We Work documentary where everyone's like he's magnetic.
Speaker 3: It was hard not to follow him.
Speaker 2: He's charming, incredible, and then you're watching the footage and you're like, this is a loser. This is a psychopath loser, there's no charm, he's long.
Speaker 3: Of course he's a liar.
Speaker 2: So then all of a sudden it was like, oh, she hit her head and I had to give her a burial at sea, and then was like, oh, I had to do this. And then obviously all the evidence was found. So her torso was found and there was thirty seven stabs in it and there was metal put around it. They also found the submarine and there was like he purposely there was puncture wounds that he purposely he wanted everything to sink. Then unfortunately had found in a bag. Limbs were found, Then tools were found where he dismembered her. Oh my god. So then they searched as shit, they find torture porn, beheading porn, like all this stuff, all.
Speaker 3: These notebooks he love.
Speaker 2: He like he watched torture, beheading and murder videos and he all these texts to his girlfriend became like shadier and shadier, and he like would joke about murdering her, but he would he was gonna do it to her. Just the journalists came through and just like and wanted to do a story, but he would have.
Speaker 3: And so the girlfriends keeps crying.
Speaker 2: I mean, it was really annoying because all of his friends kept crying about like fuck, it wasn't what about my friendship?
Speaker 3: Do I not know? And I'm like, can we focus on the victim? Yeah? Can we please focus.
Speaker 2: On how sad it is that this like young, amazing, cool girl who had no fear and wanted a report and like loved her job in life and had friends, was fucking tortured in a submarine.
Speaker 3: Can you imagine? Can you fucking imagine?
Speaker 2: Because you know there's nowhere to go and you're just down there. And also like, so this is kind of like the Queen of Versailles documentary where they come in to document one thing and then the documentary shifts into something else, because like the Queen of Versailles was just supposed to be, Oh, the biggest home in America is being built, and then it was oh, we're foreclosed on and losing our money. And then this was like, oh, we're just doing a doc on this guy and this submarine place, and then instead it was like the murder was happening, and so they had footage she was doing an interview where there was a saw on the wall, and then the next day when they were doing interviews, all was gone. He had already put all the dismembering and torture tools in the submarine. And the court said, thanks to the documentary crew and how much evidence and how much their footage helped with the case.
Speaker 3: Wow, but he straight up like tighter in this.
Speaker 2: I mean, we won't know what happened, but he got off he wanted to dismember and behead somebody and torture them, and he did it in a submarine.
Speaker 1: And like everything I was reading about this girl too, like when it first happened was like I honestly did not hear any of the details of this torture. Like I truly assumed it was like an in cell situation where he tried to like have sex with her and she rejected him or something.
Speaker 3: But like he sexually assaulted her. Yeah, But like it was all about how like she was.
Speaker 1: Like it was like it was all about like she was such a hustler, Like she didn't have a steady job, Like she had to go get these big stories because journalism is like dying and it's so hard to like get any kind of regular job, and so she was like working in all these publications like just trying to get the next big story, and so like of course she was like, oh great, and then she find it's like so fucking sad. That's horrible. Oh my gosh, it's horrible. That was my nighttime viewing.
Speaker 2: But and but he's like so oh, and it's like he wasn't an engineer, Like he didn't actually build stuff. He had all these interns and people just that believed in the mission, and slowly the staff was realizing it. And then he's on camera just being like, this is my design, this is my project. Other people could say it's theirs, it's mine, and it's like he doesn't even know how to do engineering, and he's just like comes off as such a like bosses I've had throughout the years where they're barely president and know but they have to assert authority. So they'll come complain about like we're an hour behind schedule and it's like who cares, you know, or like just like I just I've worked with bosses like that that like will come in and just be like the lighting's not right, and it's like, yeah, there's we're busy with customers. Yeah, they just they have to make sure everyone knows they're the boss, even they don't do anything. But thank god he's in prison and it's the lies right away. Oh no, I dropped her off at shore. Oh no, she hit her head. How Actually, you're not gonna get caught. How do you think you're not gonna get caught? Like coming to you, it's like crazy. He wanted to build his own rocket and go to space and yeah, the first amateur in space.
Speaker 3: It's like arrogance all across the allusion drag delusion. Baby.
Speaker 2: But then the girlfriends obviously lost her mind. She kept crying because it was gonna be her if the story and the journalist didn't come up. He was. They had text messages being like, oh, I can't wait to go into the sub tomorrow, like it would have been her.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: And then at first it's like all of his employees and everyone, well he didn't pay them, but all these people that were like, oh, I hope.
Speaker 3: They find him.
Speaker 2: And then when they found him, and then it's like he would never, he would never. And then suddenly the evidence and they were like fuck.
Speaker 1: And he probably honestly just thought like, yeah, I'll just I'll just drop her to the bottom of the ocean, never find her, no body, no crime, Like there we go.
Speaker 3: That's exactly what it was.
Speaker 2: But it was like he put metal and chains on everything, like he wanted everything to sink. He purposely the submarine well on a good news. I think it's because we're all obsessed on my Explore pages a lot of stuff. So there was like a huge giant boat accident, eleven crew members all presumed dead, like an insane crash. So then a few people went to float to find the bodies of the survivors and not like of the bodies whatever, And so they're they're like swimming around the boat and then a hand grabs them. And there was an air pocket in the like the demolished boat on the bottom of the sea, but there was somehow an air pocket and a man floated in it for three days and he said, he said he like heard all of his friends and crewmates being eaten alive, like not alive, they were all drowned, but like he he heard people like the fish eating all of his friends. And he was hallucinating obviously, and there was like he would float and that's how he didn't get hypothermia. But the photo of him like he's been going through it will share it. It's like him being like Jesus butt, you caught a lot of shit in your Explore page this week.
Speaker 3: Damn all right, straight up?
Speaker 2: Can you take a hand grabbed like and then everyone's like, it's God, It's God, It's God, and it's like, no.
Speaker 3: Eleven people died.
Speaker 2: This is not fucking God, like you, yeah, like shut up, but this dude the will to survive. And thank god the crew came in that day and he's just halfway in water, but one little pocket of air in this Oh my god, I think I would have given up. I don't think you'd find me in an air pocket. I'd be like, goodnight, I'm hearing my friend getting eaten by a shark. I'm out of here, Like I can't but.
Speaker 1: Listen, Casey's already given us seventeen flags. We have to go. Let's get started. We've got a great guest, a great episode. Don't go anywhere, all right? We got a Rollins episode. We got a Rollins episode forgiving Rollins. Did you see I think we posted it.
Speaker 2: But like Arianna in her Lifetime movie, everyone's comparing her to Rollins.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, they totally could play sisters.
Speaker 2: It's perfect, I know, but I hope they do some like fun social media things together or like I would love to see Arianna and Kelly Gettish do something fun some little twins at birth.
Speaker 1: But wouldn't it be funny if, like, while she's out on leave, but they kind of have her coming back to the show. Arianna just was playing her like until she goes back from her pregnancy. It's just like the role of Amanda Rollins we played in today's performance by Ariano Maddox.
Speaker 2: I do have to say, Kelly getdish in this episode. The acting is top notch. I would say, yeah, top notch acting here. So see this is forgiving Rollins. I think I've said it three times. Take a shot, okay, Season sixteen, episode ten. Oh, I just said something on Instagram where instead of you know, for weddings, it's like table assignments, it's you know, people want to be creative. It was one it was a wall of shots and it said take a shot and find your table.
Speaker 3: Ooh, that's cool, that's fun.
Speaker 2: The numbers are on the shot glass, which I think is cute. I think we know too many addicts, so I don't know if we could get away with it, but.
Speaker 3: It is a cute idea.
Speaker 2: So this air January seventh, twenty fifteen, and it's a big ass So we started a big ass conference Vibe and a man is talking about a Brave New World on a stage and it's a long table and there's a lot of people on it, and then it's a bunch of long tables watching with laptops and everyone's listening and typing, and if you look close you can see it says Winter Conference. And there's two men in black like security guards, like blocking the door. So what's happening? And the voice is hammering on and on, and I'm like, wait, this sounds familiar, and it's Harry Hamlin. It's the Harry Hamlin. Oh, full use of sauce king, the sauce king. So you'd rather have the bowlon ais not the pie?
Speaker 3: Right? Well?
Speaker 1: I don't eat meat, so I guess I'd have to do the pie unless he could make me some kind of other sau vegetarian sauce or like a impossible burger.
Speaker 3: Sauce or something. I don't know. I don't know if that might be bad.
Speaker 2: No, No, I don't think he would even you have to eat his pie.
Speaker 3: You gotta eat the pie, all right.
Speaker 2: So he's been full uniform And basically the point of his speech is that geographical jurisdiction isn't stopping criminals like they used to so cop steps to work together and share information, and then he brings up Pattern seventeen rapists and that's an episode we covered Pattern seventeen and for that episode we had Josh Pisce on the show. It was like a really good episode about like backlogs of rape.
Speaker 3: Kits and such.
Speaker 2: So we see Rollins, Finn and Tomorrow are in the crowd, and now we see Benson's actually at the on the table at this on the stage, like Harry Hamlin's talking about like and thank you to the NYPD who helped solve this case for us, and like, oh, you know, whatever does so much for across the nation, and he starts talking about Rollins, but then he takes full credit for all of her work. And now it was his idea to test the DNA, but he actually made it harder and was a menaced the whole fucking time. So she's visibly annoyed, but probably is used to his like scumlord behavior. And then we see Harry now at the mixer after the Rape Winter Conference, and he's drinking with a young blonde woman right near him, and then we hear the voices of our crew talking shit about him, like fuck his ass, we do the work, and the rape kits sit in your department for six years. And then they're taking a victory lap and Rollins quotes some AA meeting stuff about like, you know, do you can't control the things you can? You know, stay strong whatever. So Finn is like, I will not go to dinner with him, and he and the blonde approach as him in the blonde approach, and so he's being patronizing to Ron and they're all just quietly nodding at his idiotic musings, and then he intros the blonde finally, and it's Detective Reese Tamoor and he calls her darling, and it's her first conference.
Speaker 3: So Benson says, welcome to New York.
Speaker 2: And then Reese is just like me, and she goes, oh, just like the song, and so you know, I like that we're the same, and she is fangirling Benson. She's gushing she knows her old cases. But then the violins start playing, Rollins looks pissed. Harry keeps calling her darling as well, and then they finally walk away and Rollin says, yep, Atlanta, they're so polite, and Amaro walks over to the three amigos and he drops the ball to the Atlanta people want to go to dinner, and Finn goes, I'm out of here and he runs away. Benson goes home to Noah and Amaro's like, great, just you and me, and Rollin's goes, no, I'm not really good at hanging out with the good old boys, and Amara's like, well, Reese is coming. Rollin says, nah, I gotta go walk. Franny runs off, So they panned to the other Atlanta cop that was causing issues for Rollins in Pattern seventeen and he's a favorite. He's been in tons of episodes of SVU. He was an episode Raw. He plays the racist father with a plan and he is wearing an orange cream sickle colored shirt. So the music swells louder and Rollins is alone at a bar drinking whiskey and the bar is bustling like people. It really looks like a Friday night date bar, like everyone is packed like sardines. And she is just like alone, sitting in a world of her own, and she wants another one, and she is just like very shook and not happy. We're now at the office and in mar I was like, holy shit, those guys can put it away. He says he left and they kept drinking, and Finn laughs and goes, hah, Rollin, stuck you with them. And then Finn on his desk, my favorite. He has Bodega breakfast and an empty like iced coffee cup, which I'm obsessed with. And in the background, another cop is getting food delivered to the precinct.
Speaker 3: So it seems like everyone is hungover today at work.
Speaker 2: And Tomorrow gets closer to Finn and goes, what's up with those guys, what's the deal? And he goes just talks to Rollins, I I ton't I'm done. So Rollins walks in with her sunglasses still on, and she's looking for Benson and uh oh, Finn answers a call and then he says to all of them bad news. Hotel rape last night and the victim is Reese, the young detective from Atlanta. So yeah, so we cut to the hospital and the gorgeous doctor is telling Benson and Rollins and like a walk and talk she had a giant head wound and she like knocked out in the bathroom and we found her on the bathroom tile floor of the hotel and she was found by the maid and she disclosed her rape to the er nurse, so they ran a kit. There's no drugs, but booze levels were high one point too. But there's bite marks and bruising and it's not good. So they go in to talk to Reese, and Reese is being played by Dreamo Walker, perfect name, and she's the per actress from Don't Trust the Bee in Apartment twenty three, and so she's just.
Speaker 3: Like, oh, I must have drank too much. My bad.
Speaker 2: And she's like, you know, I went to get water and I fell. It's not a big deal. And Rollins pushes her, like what about the assault, and there's a long pause.
Speaker 3: She says, I don't know what you mean. Clearly this is a lie.
Speaker 2: Benson says, the nurse said that you disclosed, and she's like stuttering and denying it, and Rollin says Fenn needs her and runs off, and then Reese says she feels stupid even having come here, and Benson's like, girl, let's just start from the beginning.
Speaker 3: What happened.
Speaker 2: The music plays and she says, we had drinks, he escorted me to my door, used false pretense to enter. While we hear her talk we cut to Rollins walking fast and flustered in the halls of the hospital, and Drema continues that when she, you know, wanted to sleep, it became something else, and Rollin's is teary eyed and brushing her hair around, and then it cuts back to her talking, so it's like a cut back and forth scene and Dreama is like, I can't believe that I'm saying these words out loud, and and then she stops talking and Benson goes, this will not just go away, and she responds, yes, it will, and Benson reminds her that they're gonna pull the security footage and find out who did this, and she struggles and finally says it was my boss, deputy chief patent. So as you see, I won't press charges or testify. I cannot. Rollins is breathing deep in the hall, and then we go into credits. So we're back and it's Act one, and we open up on Daddy Dodds and Brows and all, and he has shaken up about the whole thing, and he really misses homicide. You know a lot of these cops they just want a dead victim. They cannot talk to an alive woman.
Speaker 1: They're so hysterical, the tears, the mescara, I needed just a dead body on the sidewalk, or.
Speaker 3: It's not enough tears and they're lying, you know.
Speaker 2: Benson gives him the scoop, Seaman bruises bite Mark's alcohol, you know, the big ones. Finn jumps in that they had adjoining rooms, so uh oh that makes it look even worse. Gallagher's like, fuck, did she invite him in? And Benson's like, no, she allowed him in, not invited. There is a big difference, and he's like, are you sure it wasn't just like a rough, drunk sex night. Again, why is it always a question like why is the base not always okay?
Speaker 3: What happened? Let's investigate?
Speaker 2: Yeah, why is it always trying to question the victim, who again gains nothing from this at all. Benson goes, or it was rape, you know, we're SVU and then it's like, wait, Rolin knows him.
Speaker 3: Let's find out what she thinks.
Speaker 2: So we cut tomorrow trying to bond with Rollin's as she ignores him and he's like, would your old boss do this? And is Blonde credible? She says she wasn't there for her disclosure, and then at that moment, Finn lets her know Dodds wants to see her, so she walks in there as Amaro pouts and like lingers in thought. Rollins explains that Patten is very smart and political and was her boss for six years and he's been married a very long time, and Finn is like, okay, well, why wasn't his wife at the convention?
Speaker 3: Then?
Speaker 2: And she's standing there like a kid at the principal's office, likes really small and meek and obviously holding something back, and she's saying she has not heard anything or is privy to his personal life at all, and they're like, okay, listen, tell us what we want to know. Is he capable of something like this? She's like, you never know what people are capable of, and that is a very true statement, and then bangs are looking amazing. Her bangs are perfect in this scene. So Finn and Rollins walk off as Benson and Dodd stay in the office, and she's like, I mean this is awkward for her and her loyalties, and he's like, well, we should be loyal to him too.
Speaker 3: He is a fellow officer, and it's like, so.
Speaker 2: Is she like I don't understand why we have to be careful with him and give him respect because he's a police officer, but that's not extended to the young woman officer.
Speaker 3: Like it.
Speaker 2: It just pisses me off. I know it's a scripted show, but I'm livid. And so he wants to hear from him and demands that, like, you know, he'd be the one to question him. So it's Hamlin versus Browse, suit on suit man to man, and He's like, damn the box, huh, and Gallagher's like, come on, you know optics man. So then the little dance begins. So Hamlin is very chill, he's confident and he's not proud of being a cheater.
Speaker 3: But you know that girl and him were involved.
Speaker 2: They had sex, and he admits it and he claims it was consensual, and he's just like we were just wasted. And then Eyebrows is like, well guess what, Bob, she said it wasn't consensual. And Hamlin's like, well, no, I get that. We're in an interrogation room. I'm not a fucking idiot. And Gallagher's like, listen, just give me the reason she would make this up about you, and Finn calls it the good old boy routine while spying, and Benson's like, yeah, he's really good at this, and Rollin goes, well, so is Patent, So okay. So if any of you are confused, Patten is Hamlin and Browse Gallagher is Dodds, so.
Speaker 3: Be intermixed.
Speaker 2: Throughout the episode, a lot of nicknames get used to it. So Hamlin says she's really smart and a great detective, but he's she's getting back at him for not leaving his wife for her, and this is payback. And then he suggests that he should talk to her, and Browse is like, nice, try Buster, that's obviously against protocol, and he asks if this is a setup, and then it clicks like and then he gets mad and then looks at the mirror and goes, I think Amanda Rollins put her and all of you up to this. And it's like, wait, what, we're weird? Did this even come from? You're telling on yourself here, and he says she has an axe to grind and she left Atlanta because she got around and she threw herself at him to save her sister. Rollin's is pissed but silent. Hamlin tries to leave and tells Dodds he better not leave the city and the press would get wind of it and then that would look really bad. And Hamlin goes, yeah, okay, and next time we talk, you'll be talking to my lawyer. Somorrow says, don't worry. Nobody would believe a word he says, and Rollins is like, well everybody does. Back home, So dramatic music plays and Rollins walks off. Finn tries to stop her, but she wants to be alone and like get out of the office. So we're back at the bar and she is drinking and Finn finds her and he's like, it took me forever to track you down in Long Island City, and I think that's perfect. She obviously lives in Long Island City. Like to me, that is where she lives. Yeah, if it's like it's not Brooklyn, it's a quick, you know, train ride on the seven or like right into the city and it's still high rises. She is by the water jogging, like I just never put it together.
Speaker 3: But I'm obsessed.
Speaker 2: I mean, sometimes I feel like she's running downtown Manhattan. Maybe she moved or like she just likes that.
Speaker 1: But yeah, because sometimes the views are of New Jersey. I feel like when she's running sometimes like she's on the West side, like Esplitade.
Speaker 3: But I could be wrong.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so maybe she runs after work or something. Yeah, I don't know, but I just was like she would fucking get a luxury building at this time. It wasn't that like popular, yet she probably got a deal.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I'm just like obsessed.
Speaker 2: But she clearly like doesn't want to talk about it, and Finn obviously wants her to talk. She says, she too, once was Patten's shiny blonde protege, smart and good, his type, and it wasn't like that at first, but then her sister got arrested and Patton calls her into the office and it was like super late and nobody was there, and he said that he could make it go away, and it was her sister, So she fucking did it. I mean, the amount of like problems that Kim Rollins has caused an Amanda's life.
Speaker 3: Don't stop. They do not stop.
Speaker 2: They go so far back, and she's just always had this little bitches back.
Speaker 3: So Reese is telling the truth.
Speaker 2: Finn asks, we gotta let Barba know but Rollins is really hesitant to do that, and Finn is like, he needs to know that he's capable of this and that he's a predator, and she's like, listen, I'm not going to say I was raped. Patton fights dirty and Finn is like, well, what about this girl, and Rollin says, well, she'll get over it, and it's like, okay, SVU, detective, and then she says the girl might be a slut and she can go back to Atlanta and pretend like nothing happened. And she looks at him and says, let it go. And Finn does not like this, and so now we quickly cut to a meeting Rollins.
Speaker 3: Did get roped into.
Speaker 2: So Rollin's daddy, Dodds, Barba, and Benson are in a meeting. She says that she put herself in a bad position and that Patton took advantage of her, but it's on her. She will not say that she was raped, but she does say she like, off the record, off my personal experience, I believe Taymoor is telling the truth.
Speaker 3: So Barbara breathes in.
Speaker 2: Dodds is like, oh no, what do we do, and Benson's like, easy, arrest him? But Barba says that Taymoor won't testify or come forward, So Rollins is like, I'll go fucking talk to her. So she goes to visit Tamore, and Taymor is packing and there's a souvenir statue of Liberty in her suitcase loose and I just love that, Like she always.
Speaker 3: Gonna want to remember this trip to New York.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know, she's packing in a rush. So Rollins walks in and she's like, oh, the Chief tell you to come here to zip me up. I'm zipping up and I'm going home, so shut up. And Rollins is like, no, I'm here to convince you of the opposite. And Dream is like, oh, sure, you just want justice for little old me so everyone back home can know what happened. She is pissed and she's like, oh, you want them to call me a slut just like you, And Rollins works her flirty, convincing Southern charm and Dream is like, ugh, I knew his reputation, like I try dodging all of his touches and advances and so then Rollins is surprised and it's like, oh, so you're not having an affair no capital n oh. And to me, this is so silly, because why would she believe the rumors about her if the rumors about Rollins were fake. I don't get I don't get that at all. Clicking Yeah, So she's disgusted that that's what he's saying, and Captain Reynolds just had his back.
Speaker 3: Huh.
Speaker 2: Rollins is like, yeah, he sucks. I turned him down, and she's like, you didn't think you were Chief Patten's first good girl, And then it all clicks and she's like, damn, so everything they said about you and why you left isn't true. And we get an impassioned like no from Rollins, and then we cut to the Atlanta men eating and drinking and probably a midtown like shipbox at like a tourist trap, like I just fucking see them walking into a restaurant off of forty second.
Speaker 3: Street like so bad.
Speaker 2: And so then Dodd's Finn and Tomorrow interrupts the dinner and they're like, you're under arrest for rape, bitch, and he gets up, he gives his gun to the captain, wipes his mouth with a napkin, throws it on the ground aggressively, and also he tells his friends, like, get me that big lawyer we met, Get me that lawyer. Rollins is walking Franny and you know, super cute. Everything's nice. She's in a little beanie ship. Sheeplined brown Sway jacket. Very I think Stabler would wear this coat. And then a car pulls up. Fuck, who's it gonna be? And it's Reynolds. It's the guy from Raw and like the Captain, the one under Harry Hamblin. And he tracked her using her cell phone. He's like, whatever, I'm a cop. Of course I fucking tracked you. Totally normal behavior. But he wants her to know that she's making a mistake. Then he calls her darling again. He's a true menace. And I don't I just like every Southern tradition I'm against fully, Like I hate ma'am, I hate darling. I hate everything about the South except the food, Like I really just hate it. And so he claims that this is just payback and it's like shirtloser, and he says, you slept with the chief and it backfired and this is what you get.
Speaker 3: Get over it. And she says Patton's a liar.
Speaker 2: But you know, obviously the boys stick together, and he blames all the blondes for being ambitious. So not only are the women's sluts, but they're ambitious, and no one loves an ambitious woman. He then keeps getting closer to her and is like, yeah, I know you didn't fuck me, so you can get to the big boss. I know exactly who you are, and you need to chill out. And he keeps walking closer to her, and so she needs him in his dick and he falls to the ground and he calls her a bitch, and she says, why don't you go tell your wife? I say, hello, that's another thing. They're all fucking married. Yeah, okay. So then we cut to another running scene. I mean, I guess when you have a pet, you got to just keep walking and running. So and she needs to run all the time to prep for all her Central Park undercover running work. She like has to be in the most shape of any of the other police officers. So she's running, but this time she's wearing an olive colored beanie, so she I can't you know, I wonder how big her extensive her beanie collection is. Barba now runs behind her like he really pops out of nowhere, and they're dressed like Julia Louis Dreyfus in was it David d company in Christmas Vacation? They're like that couple. Like they're dressed like that Hargo. So they're dressed like athletic like and have you seen there's like this famous maybe it's not famous, but it's like these two really thin greyhounds and they're wearing winterwear. No, I mean all greyhounds are very thin, but it's like these like beautifully dressed greyhounds. And the tweet was like the they look like every villain in a movie.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, that's cute.
Speaker 1: Oh wait, David d'akovny is not in Christmas Vacation. That's somebody else who has like slick back care.
Speaker 3: You're right, I was.
Speaker 1: Thinking of David d'acovney. And don't tell mom the babysitter's dead.
Speaker 3: Isn't that him? Oh?
Speaker 2: And maybe it was in Beethoven? He plays the David Ducopany is in Beethoven?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Is he the the air freshener guy or no. We'll post the photo of the dogs as a side by side with Barbara and Rollins running and you will see they look identical David d'acovney.
Speaker 1: David Dukovney is the guy I was thinking of from Don't Tell Mom the Babysitters Dead.
Speaker 3: By the way, he is a that too. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So basically the whole point of all of these asides is that they look athletic and they're running, and they look funny and evil. Okay, and we have to move on. But he's like, slow down, like he cannot keep up with rollins. And she's in a bad mood and he threatens a subpoena and she's like, I'm not fucking talking and he's like, no, if you're not my witness, and defense is gonna call you up and you're gonna be their witness, and they're accusing you of revenge. She's like, I'm move And to me, I was like, she moved, leave her alone, Like how are you still doing this? Like she fucking left, she left, she left town. She's quiet, she's not saying anything, like why would she be doing revenge? She got up and left. Leave her alone. You came to do a conference in her city. She solved your fucking crimes. Like, itses me off, So she runs off. She you know, she smokes Barba.
Speaker 3: So guess what. Guess who Hamblin hired. It's Buchanan.
Speaker 2: And they're eating at an empty restaurant and not empty in the way of like oh it's shitty, but empty, and like, oh, they came here early because that like we're so important, like that they got open earlier, like while the staff is, you know, opening up.
Speaker 3: Because I always think about.
Speaker 2: When Anne Hathaway got that steak from Miranda Priestley, you know, like it was before the restaurant opened, and I think, just important people, you can get a steak whenever you want, Okay. So Buchanan's trying to make a deal with Barbara and Dodds, and Dodds is there's a courtesy for the NYPD, and you know, he's like, we're not going to treat your Atlanta asses nicely, and Buchanan's like, shut up. This is why you have lawyers. Let us work, like, we don't need you to talk. And so they do some law mortal combat. They keep calling her, they keep calling her ambitious and tipsy, the two worst things the woman can be. And maybe that's merged. That's merch ambitious and tipsy.
Speaker 3: Baby mer I write it down.
Speaker 2: I'm putting it in my note, in my notes, in my notes article, what is it?
Speaker 3: Notes?
Speaker 2: App you guys, tell us if you would buy Ambitious and Tipsy, should it be koozies?
Speaker 3: Is it a koozie? Ah?
Speaker 2: So Buchanan makes it seem like Hamlin is the victim because his wife is mad at him, but Barba's like, I truly don't care about him or his wife. I'm not dismissing. And rape is a felony, so unless it's sexual abuse. Three, we're not talking. Hamlin threatens him like, okay, boy, we'll see when one of you city slickers is down in Atlanta and Hamlin calls Barba a Spanish dandy.
Speaker 1: I mean, we're getting the idea that this man is not only a rapist, but he is racist as well.
Speaker 3: Wow, so add that on there. Hey, what is a dandy?
Speaker 2: Though? I love that. That's like a cute name too. I hope it's not a slur in itself.
Speaker 3: A dandy is like, well, I feel like it's like a.
Speaker 1: It's like a guy who's very like neat and put together and has style. It's like, I feel like what we used to call a metrosexual. It used to be called a dandy. But now you can't say metrosexual. You shouldn't say metrosexual either, that's like bad.
Speaker 3: But it's like, you know.
Speaker 1: A guy that's like into his looks and like his style.
Speaker 3: Stylish man?
Speaker 2: Really yeah, someone that cleans their butt, that's that's the whole thing. So it gets this all gets serious after the Spanish Spanish of dandy comment obviously yeah, and he says recent rollins wanted to fuck him and that's that. And Barba is sickened by this man, and Dods is pissed he wasted his time, and Buchanan's like, okay, come on, how about a selt three? No registry, no time, Like what in your dreams? So fuck off? You know, things don't work out, and then Barba leaves, but before he leaves, he speaks Spanish right at Hamlin and we're in court with Barbara chatting up Benson who's on the stand and she's giving them just facts, and then they panned to the camera to Hamlin and holy shit, behind him is his wife, Queen Becky and Baker. She is also in the season four episode Mom. She's a mom in the episode Juvenile, which is one of the ones that haunts me forever where she makes the wrong call and doesn't agree to a deal, and so then her son is actually charged as an adult and gets life in prison, but the little boy, who is underage who actually stabbed and killed the woman is a miner and he gets less time, and she like screams in the courtroom and like they're.
Speaker 3: Like, please take the deal.
Speaker 2: I think it was Eleana Douglas is like please, and she's like no, no, they'll believe my son, and.
Speaker 3: It's like gripping.
Speaker 2: But she's also the mom of Lena Dunnaman Girls. Obviously, she's the mom from Freaks and Geeks. I fucking love her, and she's a Miranda's sister in the funeral episode of Sex and the City and she gives birth to an alien in the back of the car and men in Black.
Speaker 3: So wow, we stand in a career. We love her.
Speaker 2: I'm obsessed, and I guess we got to see if the other episode's based on a crime, and fucking get Becky and Baker here immediately because I do not want to live another day without knowing she's on our schedule.
Speaker 3: So now we're back.
Speaker 2: But shockingly, Buchanan has no questions for Benson chucked. Hamlin and Baker keep making eye contact, and she's standing by her man, and Rollin's is in the hallway with Finn, who's surprised she came. And Tomorrow's there too, and he fucking hates He's like, Hamlin keeps looking at his wife, this slicks and then Finn is like, straight up, it's like, I hate this smug prick. Rollin's is like, oh, Vivian's here, and she's right behind her, Hi, Amanda, And so they chat and she's being Southern nice, very polite, but I don't trust it. I don't trust her at all, and I'm like waiting for the shade to start. So she asks about her mom and sister, and Rollins gives like mean, fake sweet Southern vibes right back to her, like, oh, that was so sweet of you to ask with everything you got going on. And I feel like Rollin's like ups Southern accent to and like she yeah wants And then Vivian's like me, no, I'm blessed, and she goes everyone back home knows what a great man Charlie is and we have their full support. She goes, oh, well, there's my man now, and so she walks off, and I like love this exchange so much because it gives nothing, but it gives everything. You know, everything is like secret and undercover. So now dream is on the stand, and I'm not looking forward to what Buchanan is going to try to do. So she's getting some barber time. She's describing the professional relationship she has with Harry Hamlin and what happened that night in the adjoining rooms. So he told her that his cell phone demagnetized the key card. Now does that happen anymore? I feel like that's not an issue anymore.
Speaker 3: It hasn't happened to me in a long time.
Speaker 1: I always feel like I try to keep it away from my credit cards too, Like I don't know, I just don't think it's just a while, No, I think, but I don't know what technology has changed or not, But I just don't find it an issue anymore. Let us to know if you've recently had an issue getting into a hotel after a touch to something, because I think technology has advanced. So basically, he's like, fuck, my card's not working. I don't want to go down to the front desk. Can I just use your room and then use the adjoining doors, and my brain immediately because we sometimes have adjoining doors and he needs to be unlocked, like you can't just get it. That would be psychotic if.
Speaker 2: You could just go in between hotel room doors like it's only murders in the building, like a fun little caper, like it's ano.
Speaker 3: They're fully dead bolted from inside the room.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that's where my little detective brain went, so you know, we'll keep going. So then he went inside and he suggested room service and she's like, oh, actually, food sounds nice, but he ordered champagne and she didn't want to be rude, so she had one glass and then he kissed her. She pulled away and she's like, ew, you're married, and he said, don't you know by now? I don't take no for an answer. Then he pushed her down on the bed, bit her lip. She said, no, don't do this. He slapped her and she was so stunned, and then he raped her and she said that He finished and told her to clean herself off for the conference tomorrow, and then went to his room sicko. And they cut to Benson, who smiles and nods her head in understanding disgust, like this motherfucker, and so she Taymoor continues, I coul keep wanting to call her Julie's anymore. It's Reese, Reese, Reese, not Witherspoon. And I want to call her Dreama. But this is like dramatic, I don't know. So she was embarrassed and ashamed, and she finished the champagne and passed out and then she fell in the bathroom and that's like, you know, the hospital and Benson and the nurse, and that's when you know, we we're caught up now. And she didn't want to cooperate because she was scared for her career and that it would be over and that nobody would believe her. But what he did is a crime, and she had to do something so it doesn't happen to someone else. She wouldn't want that on her conscience. And they immediately like cut to Rollins, and this is like Bravo style editing, like this is so shady, where it's like, yeah, I would never say that, and then you just cut to the bitch lying, so it's like you know, and Rolins is ashamed and she lowers her head and maybe you know it sucks. It really sucks that now she has that kind of guilt on her as well. So Barba's done, and now Buchanan has to go make us sick. So right away he is like, you're saying you and Paton were never romantic before, and she yells no, and he's obviously going to try to spin this. So he's like, well, you drink, and then you were at the same conference and you were on the same flight, so obviously you wanted to get raped. Obviously the evidence, I mean, you were on the same flight. So he then shames her for not yelling or fighting and that she doesn't have defensive wounds, and she understandably says, I froze, And now he shames her that, you know, why don't you call the cops faster? And it's like, why are you wanting people to call the cops? So they just not believe her sooner. It's not like that's the other thing with this timeline stuff, like you're not whether it's a day or seven days, it doesn't it doesn't seem like the believing because what if she was still drunk that morning, what if her breath allies? You know, like there's always a reason not to believe a woman. So then he's like, you're an SVU detective, how would you act towards an a drunk, lying slut like you? She's like, I would try to be understanding. So he's bending down into her and like trying to fuck with her, and all the detectives' faces are like, fuck, we're fucked. What's gonna happen? And so now Rollin's and Tamor have a little run in the bathroom. This is like a really intense day for Rollins. So many, so many run ins, and Reese's pissed AND's like, bitch, you convinced me to testify and you're not taking the stand. So Roninds knows she got got and she looks at her hypocrite face in the mirror with shame. And so now she's on the stand and she explains the situation, what went down with her sister and that led to prep you know, Pattent's creepy, creepy behavior.
Speaker 3: And then we pull away and it's not court.
Speaker 2: She's not on the sand, she's on the stand, but it's an empty courtroom. She's practicing with Barba, and she's annoyed. She even has to practice because she knows the judge isn't even gonna allow this. But she fidgets and she starts talking again, and Barba's like, listen, we have to do it just in case. So then he's listening to her talk, and he's getting upset listening as well. And so she mentions the biting the drunk motel night, and then he binged like her head against the headboard and she was bleeding, and she tried to get up, and he said, Amanda, you know I don't take no for an answer, and Barbara asked her gently to like keep talking, and she says that he pinned her wrists above her head and told her she wasn't going anywhere and that nobody would believe her anyways, so she just gave up and she's looking down and she then says that he raped me. And she says this all with her eyes closed, and then she looks up to Barbara sh Uggs and as tears well up in her eyes. Buchanan and Hamlin are like, that little bitch. I can't believe she's trying to do this. And the judge and the lawyers strut on over to the bench and Buchanan objects to the witness obviously, and Barbara's like, okay, but like, we can let her speak to pattern, but the judge unfortunately says no, that Rollins cannot testify. So the prosecution rests, and unfortunately they have no more witnesses, and once we return for Mauricas, the defense witnesses can begin. Rollins is in the hallway and she's pissed, and Barbara's like, we knew it was going to be a long shot. Come on, and She's like that was so fucking traumatic. And Benson's like, okay, so what next. And Barbara's like, listen, I'll get his ass. Do not worry. It's a he said, she said, and I'll make him fucking say something. Rollins looks nervous, but there's nothing else she can do. So he's on the stand, Harry Hamlin, and he says that the only true victim in all this is his wife, and they cut to her poofy s eighties hairdoo and she has a yellow blazer with a white flower pin. I mean, she is so Georgia and he was just flattered. He said that a young girl even wanted to fuck him, and so he's very sorry to the police, and his wife is so good and she's incredible, and I feel so bad, but as God is my witness, it was consensual and that he would never harm a woman. So Buchanan, let's you know, lets him off easy with all this fucking lies. Barba's turn, so it's like, get him, you know what's gonna happen. So he's like, okay, so you were a mentor and then there was an affair and he says, I'm not proud of that, and Barbara goes okay. So everything was going fine, right, so why would she come to New York to cry rape? And he's like, well, there's a reason she's angry that I'm not going to leave my wife, and Barbara goes okay, fine, hmm, well you said you never heard a woman. Does that include other blonde subordinates? Objection sustained. Oh. He then is happy to name her and says, oh, you mean Rollin's or even that other girl.
Speaker 3: I didn't do.
Speaker 2: It to them, and Buchanan's like, oh shit, you idiot it because it's like you just named all these people, like I mean, Barbara is so good, so it's like you're fucking telling on yourself. He didn't he didn't say anything, so and then he continues to tell on himself and he goes, any of them, none of that, Like he keeps just being like, millions of women are lying.
Speaker 3: It's just really silly.
Speaker 2: But he goes, that's just what they say when they don't get what they want. And Buchanan, you can see, is like fuck fuck fuck, like I am fucked.
Speaker 3: And the judge.
Speaker 2: Suddenly strikes you know, this chunk from the record though, and I guess that question was not okay. So he's like, okay, fine, let's chat conference. Why didn't you bring your wife to New York? And he's like, New York in January yuck. But also, I have not seen the level of outerwear that you need when it's January and New York.
Speaker 3: They especially if you're Rolins and that's your thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just felt like their coats were very November like, not January. But you know, he goes listen and it's all business anyways, and Barbara pushes, oh business really at one am drunk with a clearly drunk like Taymar He's like, I mean we were networking, and so he's like, but your key card didn't work and he starts to feel pain in his arm, and so maybe he's gonna fake a stroke. We don't really know, but he's like, you know, rubbing his arm and we're about to have an Elwood's moment. So Barb I love this. I mean I like pump my fist in the air after this moment. So Barbara's like, well, if you're having an affair, then why the key card?
Speaker 3: Ruse, Why if.
Speaker 2: You're having an affair and she's into it, why aren't you making it out in the hall? Like why would you have to lie about the key card? It's just such a good point. It's like uugh. So he's like, the point of adjoining rooms is you enter separate and meet in the middle like hello, And Hamlin is just like stuttering and stammering, and the camera is shaking and he's like uh uh uh, and he's rubbing his arm harder and now he starts coughing, and Barbara's just like slammed dunk baby, and he goes and how did you know your side of the adjoining room was gonna be open? So that's something I thought of also Detective Trigger's question.
Speaker 3: So this is amazing. Yeah, if you're having an affair.
Speaker 2: The whole point of joining rooms is you enter in your own rooms secretly, so no one can tell that you're having an affair. So it's like he's just an idiot. He fucking planned a raper, he planned all of this. Barbara is getting him and I am just like what is hell? I'm like obsessed. So then Hamlin then goes, you son of a bitch, as he's like like coughing. The subtitle said hacking, so he is hacking, not just a chill you know, cough. So it's like a full heart attack by bitch. Rollins looks annoyed, and we're in Benson's office with a knock knock from Amanda. He did not have a heart attack. Benson fills Rollins in that it was an anxiety attack. So fuck, what's gonna happen to the trial? Nobody knows, but of course Benson wants to talk, have a heart to heart. So Benson is begging Rollins to deal with all this, and she explains like, you're gonna stay trapped and stuck, and this is like an opportunity to free yourself. Collins responds, You're only as sick as your secrets, and the secret is out, so I'll be fine. Benson just wants her to have compassion for her younger self, and Rollins begins like her eyes begin to water and she's having a hard time not blaming herself, and Benson is frustrated. And then a call back to an insult Rollin's flung in her in another episode and she's like, I know you think therapy is paying for someone to hear you talk, and it is. That's actually one hundred percent the definition. I don't even know how that's an I mean, it was insulting the way Rollins said it to her, but it is the truth. But Rollin's is sorry and she's like, oh, sorry about that, and she's like, we'll make it up to me and see my therapist. And she's like, I'm not seeing your therapists, which I agree with, but Benson already knows that. And she's like, no, it's for a referral. He has space today, not a good sign your therapist should be booked. But she takes the card and walks off. Benson is flipping through a magazine and on a couch, gripping a pillow, and she's at an MD's office. We see like the nameplate on the door, so so exciting. She I only went to the appointment. She's gonna see this therapist, get a referral. Nope, she runs off. Haha, did I get you? So while she's running off, construction workers heckle her as she cries walking and they're.
Speaker 3: Just like, ah, what are you doing?
Speaker 2: Smile and it's like she's crying, like it's just people are so sick. And so Buchanan is out there making money trying to say that Hamlin's health is like you know, it's not right and whatever, and I'm like, whatever, fuck this little bitch boy, But like, what are we going to do at the trial? And Barba's like, I'm sorry, anxiety is not health related, Like you can go back to trial, and Buchanan's like, how about we just plead to sexual abuse in the third degree. He will go on the registry, which I think is important, and then it's probation, community service but no jail time and he gets to retire first. And Benson's like, oh yeah, sure, so he can still get his pension. And Buchanan's like, I mean, won't somebody think of his wife? And so they're framing it like he just needs money for his wife. But whatever, the registry is like pretty import I think, and like not and having to retire, everyone's gonna know, like I bet all his guys are still gonna believe him though, Like I bet they're still gonna be like, oh, those ambitious, tipsy women. Yeah, and so he can never work in law enforcement again. And he agrees silently, but that's not enough, and Barbara pushes and goes, you need to alocute and court what you did, and he answers fine, like as he like if he has a choice, and I love a defeated man, So we had to allocution time. Our squad watches him with dreama and you know, so he has to say he's guilty. So then the judges like, do you have anything to say? Would you like to say anything to the people you're victims? And he looks at them, so he like looks at fucking Rollins and Reese and like stares at them and goes turns back to the judge and goes, no, your honor, still a fucking dick. And finally finally they're wearing coats. Finally they're warm enough, and Amorrow's like, he plays this guy. I don't know Amorrow's annoying, but he goes he Amorro's he goes, what the fuck, no jail time, and Fin's like, at least he's on the registry and I'm fit in this situation. And then Rollins goes, at least it's over, and Tomorrow is like, yeah, I heard you. I hope you take some time off, and she goes, yeah, I need, I do need to take some time off. So she walks off, separate from the boys, wind in her hair, a very crisp day and she walks and I thought she was gonna go gamble, So I'm glad it's just a walk. Yeah, best case scenario for Rolla. She doesn't head to Atlantic City.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's the episode, guys, A real good one. We get you another episode of Harry hi on another episode where the NYPD intimately interfaces with another state's police departments. So always like, let's seem up with Chicago Atlanta. All right, Well the true crime is a ride and well you're about to you're in for it, just hold on, Okay, So look, we go to a lot of different resources to fill out our spreadsheet on like what these crimes are based on? And like when we first started the podcast, like I found some lists, I found a list in a book, I found lists online. There's a very very one that we were referenced all the time. The SVU fandom has like.
Speaker 1: Very more updated links to what people think the crime is. For this one, we had it listed as the Russell Williams crime. As I'm looking at it, it seems very tenuously connected, but it's not connected to any other Law and Order SVU episodes, and it is a wild fucking crime. So we're just covering it. I'm sorry if it's not if it doesn't match up exactly, but I think it's worth it. So this is a Canadian joint. This happens in Canada. Shout out to all our Canadian listeners. You guys have a lot of serial killers up there. So this crime is so much worse than what television writers put together in a room, is what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Like, it's so much more out of control.
Speaker 1: So January twenty eighth of twenty ten, a twenty seven year old named Jessica Lloyd vanishes from her home in Belleville, Ontario, Canada. The police find tire tracks in the snow near her home, and the Ontario Provincial Police AKAOPP Yeah you know them, did a canvas of all the people using the highway near her home on the night of her disappearance. David Russell Williams, heretofore referenced as Russell Williams, I guess that's what he went by, was a colonel in the Royal Canadian Air Force. He was a decorated officer who had flown VIP flights for the Queen, Prince Philip, the Governor General, and the Prime Minister. He had a top secret security clearance. He months before this had been sworn in as CFB Trenton's wing Commander in charge of Canada's largest and most important military air base. So on the day of this these tracks being found, he's actually driving his Nissan Pathfinder instead of his usual BMW and another officer happened to notice the resemblance of his treads when they were doing this canvas to the ones that they found near Lloyd's home.
Speaker 3: So about a.
Speaker 1: Week later, February seventh, a week after she disappears, Ottawa Police call Williams and ask him to come in for questioning. They start questioning him at three pm and by seven forty five. This motherfucker is spilling his guts. Like truly took him four hours, less than five hours to just confess to everything, and all they had.
Speaker 3: Were tire treads. Are those like fingerprints?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 1: Is there only one Nissan Pathfinder in Ontario? It's like very confusing to me. I know the last couple crimes I've been like, go to trial, see what happens.
Speaker 3: You're not gonna get caught.
Speaker 1: But like I, this guy confesses everything based on these tire tracks. So he confesses to a ton of wild crimes, breaking and entering and sexual assault. He told police where they could find evidence hidden in his house, trophies from his crimes, as well as photographs taken of his victims and pictures of him posing in their underwear.
Speaker 3: So he didn't have a canon as a lawyer. He just he did not have. Buchanists started chatting up a storm.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you think there's a Canadian Buchanan. I don't feel like Canadian people are so nice. Buchanan's so cut throat. I know a couple of cuns from Canada.
Speaker 2: Don't worry.
Speaker 3: Canadian cuns another piece of merch. Okay, this is just so wild.
Speaker 1: So he told them what he did with Jessica's body, which they found the next morning. And basically what happened was the day before she died, Williams saw her on a treadmill through her home window. So he just saw her. She wasn't even out on the streets. She was in the privacy of her own home.
Speaker 3: Wait, have you seen the movie?
Speaker 2: It's like Julia Roberts and mel Gibson.
Speaker 3: They've been in a couple together, is it.
Speaker 2: It's the one where she's running on a treadmill in her home and he's watching her.
Speaker 3: That's why I thought of it. Wait, what is it called that movie?
Speaker 1: It's like secrets or it's like conspiracy or uh conspiracy theory. Yes, okay, I knew. I was like, it has the word conspiracy. Oh is that like a thriller?
Speaker 2: Yeah, nineties thriller. Baby, that was a time to be alive. That was a time.
Speaker 1: Well, Julia Roberts sleeping with the enemy. She had a couple of those scary ones and then she went. Then she was all rom golm. So he sees her on her fucking treadmill. The next day, she sends a text to a friend and that's the last anyone hears from her, because what happened was the next day he waited in her backyard for her to fall asleep. He breaks into her bedroom, bounds like binds her, forces her to get into lingerie, and then takes pictures of her, and then sexually assaults her, and he takes the entire thing, tapes the whole thing. Hours into the assault, he drives her to his home where she has a seizure, and then she begs him to take her to the hospital. She says, if I die, will you make sure that my mom knows that I love her? And then he gives her some fruit and continues his attack on her. Then he dresses her and starts to walk her away from the house like he's gonna let her go, and instead he hits her on the head with a flashlight and strangles her to.
Speaker 3: Death, like sick fucking fuck.
Speaker 1: So he also confesses to another murder, which happened two or three months earlier in November, to he murdered Corporal Marie Franz Como, who was under his command at the CFB Trenton. So one victim he knew, another victim he just stalked and found. So this guy's emma was like all over the place. They had only met once and she had mentioned that she lived alone in that one conversation. So that November he broke into her house took photos of himself wearing her lingerie and underwear. Then a week later she gets home and goes looking for her cat around the house and she finds Williams wearing a mask and hiding behind her furnace. He's got a bag full of plastic zip ties, a camera, duct tape, and a flashlight.
Speaker 2: Oh, we just found zip ties. We were doing a photo shoot. I'm sure you've seen some of the Pictsuretti, but we wanted to like, oh, what could look like a crime. And then in the middle of this college campus we find zip ties, rope and tape.
Speaker 3: And then nearby on a tree there was caution tape.
Speaker 2: Wild Maybe it's one of those student films for MESV or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Rosemary's Bridesmaid or whatever.
Speaker 2: And I could not believe the pile of zipize zip ties. Is there any good use for a zip tie? It seems always fine?
Speaker 3: No, No.
Speaker 1: A lot of times like zip ties are like holding planks of wood together when you like get furniture or whatever, Like, if you get furniture delivered, it's like, oh, cut the zip tie, like but yeah, like I have a zip tie that holds my shelf to the walls so it doesn't fall on my children, but like, yeah, in general, I think of them as just like horrific basically plastic handcuffs. But he also had with him a flashlight, which, much like he does later with Jessica, he smacks her on the head with it. Then he drags her upstairs assaults her for several hours. She pleads for her life. He records the whole thing on camera. Again, she says to him, You're going to kill me, aren't you? And then she says, have a heart please, I want to live. Instead, he covers her mouth and nose with duct tape and she suffocates to death again a different mo though than the strangling, And he also took more photos than after she was dead. Before he left her house Mrie Franz's house, he bleaches her sheets, covered her with a duvet, and then took several pieces of her underwear and lingerie. And her boyfriend later found her body. So not only has he been accused of these two murders, so that he has confessed to. He also confesses to breaking and endering forcable confinement and sexual assault of two women in connection with two separate home invasions from the previous year. He had just entered these women's houses, tied them up, had non penetrative sexual assault on them, is what they kept saying in all of these things, because they were talking about how he escalates, because he went from like penetrative to non penetrative assault.
Speaker 3: But he took photos of them.
Speaker 1: One of the women had her baby in the house with her when the attack happened, which is like so horrific, but I mean also just generally horrific. He also is accused of executing eighty two fetish related home invasions and attempted break ins between September of seven and November of nine.
Speaker 3: Like right before the murder.
Speaker 1: So he just is like running into people's houses and like grabbing underwear, taking photos of himself in the underwear.
Speaker 3: Blah blah blah. So I'll just say this.
Speaker 1: He's remanded on February eighth, the day after he confesses all this stuff. The police immediately start opening unsolved cases in places where he had been stationed to see if they can connect anything else. Inside his home, police found a ton of stolen lingerie and underwear, all neatly stored, cataloged and hidden, but like it meticulously kept, like he like it was like a trophy box. So this guy is very unlike a lot of other serial killers that we've seen.
Speaker 3: He had a successful career.
Speaker 1: Along and what other people called apparently loving marriage, and his activities began with fetish home burglaries around six oh seven, when he was forty four years old. That's kind of late in the game to start being a criminal, But who knows, maybe they just don't know that shit he used to do. He might have been a flasher back like when he was in his twenties. So, according to a psychologist named Vernon Quinsy, who spent sixteen years researching criminals at a maximum security psychiatric hospital in Canada, this he said, quote, it's very unusual for a guy who's got his act together like that to all of a sudden start committing crimes at a late age. This guy's also a professor emeritus of psychology and biology and psychiatry at Queen's University. He goes on to say quote. The guys who typically see start earlier. Almost nobody starts a life of crime when they're in their forties, which is interesting. This guy went on regular jobs through his neighborhood, which it turns out, we find out later are just reconmissions where he can find people.
Speaker 3: Quote.
Speaker 1: When sex predators go out for a job, they're always on the hunt. They're looking for the opportunity. They spend a lot of time casing a place. And that's from Glen Woods, the director, former director of RCMP's Criminal Profiling Unit, which I think RCMP is like a Canadian FBI or something. Quinsy says that this guy might be ego dystnic, which is someone who finds his own impulses distressing and unacceptable. So I had never read about that before. It's like the opposite of like a lot of these guys that are like this is just my need, I need to do this, this is just my way I am, or whatever. During one of his sexual assaults, he reportedly told the victim he was attacking her quote so I can move on with my life end quote. The experts also posited that perhaps this was a guy who could mostly control his impulses, but then something would set him off. But what set him off? No one can say this guy had such a normal life. Like the only trauma that they were like trying to grab out in his life is that his parents got divorced and then his stepdad got divorced again in two thousand step his mom and stepdad got divorced again in two thousand and one, which strained his relationship with his mom. But like, nothing out of the ordinary, and people's parents get divorced every day, like so it's hardly. He mostly went to like posh schools, had like a privileged upbringing. In April twenty ten, he does try to take his own life by wedging a stuffed cardboard toilet paper rolled down his throat in jail, which is wild.
Speaker 3: I know, I'd never heard of that one. That's why I included it.
Speaker 1: October eighteenth, he pleads guilty to all charges he pleaded.
Speaker 3: He pleads guilty to like I.
Speaker 1: Think almost ninety charges like the break ins and then the murders, and then.
Speaker 3: Then to the two sexual assaults.
Speaker 1: So on the first day of his trial and guilty plea, all these details emerged of other sexual assaults he had committed, including the one with the new mother that we that I talked about earlier, when the baby was asleep in the house. It was also revealed that he might have had petopheliac tendencies because he stole underwear of girls as young as nine years old.
Speaker 3: This guy's all over the place. He had progressed.
Speaker 1: The interesting thing about him was that he had progressed from break ins to sexual assaults with no penetration, to finally rape and murder, and he had kept detailed track of police reports of the crimes he was committing, logged his crimes, kept photos and videos, and had even left notes and messages for his victims, like after breaking into the bedroom of a twelve year old girl, he left a message on her computer that said meyer se like thank you in French.
Speaker 3: So weird.
Speaker 1: He took thousands of pictures of his crimes, kept them all on his computer, so he wanted to get caught.
Speaker 3: It feels like it.
Speaker 2: Well, you mentioned, like he's so disgusted by his own shit.
Speaker 3: Right, Like did he just yeah?
Speaker 1: Like maybe he wanted to just get put away, yeah, so that he could stop doing it. But the one of the attorneys for the prosecution presented a lot of photos of him dressed in the underwear and the bras that he stole. He frequently masturbated while lying in his victims' beds, like he was a mess. So he was sentenced by Justice Robert F. Scott on October twenty second, twenty ten, to two concurrent life terms of prison with no consideration of parole for twenty five years. I cannot imagine that in twenty five years he's going to get any kind of thing. But he kind of, like the case like stayed in the news a little bit because in twenty fourteen, his wife, whose name was Mary Elizabeth Harriman, one of the women named Laurie Massacote, who had been one of the tie Up sexual assault victims who lived. She foiled a lawsuit against the province Russell Williams and his wife named Mary Elizabeth Harriman in twenty eleven, okay, and then she in twenty fourteen petitioned the court to expand her claim. In her claim, she said that Harriman, the wife, was quote unquote aware of her husband's quote unquote illicit conduct but did not report it. So she's trying to say that the wife is basically complicit in the crimes that she knew her husband did the shit and didn't do anything. I have not heard of this before of a wife like even like Fritzel, who you know, I'm obsessed with bringing up Fritzel, like he was to committing these crimes in their home in the basement, and the wife just said she had no idea. I haven't heard of like wives being brought in as like you knew and didn't say anything before. I don't think like there's accessory obviously people that are helping, but people that are just saying, oh, I knew what he was doing and I didn't say anything. So because like the Green River killer killed over one hundred women, he had a wife the whole time, I feel like, or no, he had a wife when he wasn't killing. So she won her her petition to be able to add that in. And that was bad news for the wife because she claims I knew nothing about his crimes.
Speaker 3: I had no idea. The lawsuit.
Speaker 1: The seven million dollar lawsuit was finally settled in twenty sixteen, five years later, and it's for undisclosed, so I have no idea how much it was for. But Mary Elizabeth harrim and the wife had basically filed to have her assets separated from her husband's as soon as this all happened. And I feel like this woman was like, well, those are his assets too, and I'm like entitled to them as one of his victims. So she has never the wife spoken publicly about her husband or his crimes. And people wonder like, how could anybody have been so like oblivious to like he literally the shit that they found in the house, Like they went into his house and they found a pillowcase in the garage that had and multiple computer boxes in the basement, all had stolen women's clothing in it.
Speaker 3: Like a bat right next to their bed.
Speaker 2: What if he took the photos and videos and stole stuff for his wife?
Speaker 3: Like what if she liked watching it? Eh?
Speaker 2: God, because our whole thing is like maybe he wanted to get caught, Maybe he would watch it. Maybe he gets off on it. Why it keeps so much evidence. But it's like, what if his wife was making him do it, And maybe that's why he confessed so fast because she was putting him up to it.
Speaker 3: JK.
Speaker 2: I don't want to blame a woman, but I you know, the misery this little chunk has Broun a little.
Speaker 3: Mystery to us.
Speaker 1: All yeah, I mean the cops when they went into the room, the cops found a bag right beside their bed, and in it was a black skull cap and like all this sketchy shit. And then at the cottage that they owned, they found a devil bag filled with hundreds of pieces of lingerie.
Speaker 3: It's like, how is she not finding any of this stuff? He kept a lot so damn. That's that.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure if like somebody linked this to the article, because it's just about like a man in power, like who's a serial rapist? Like because this guy was so decorated.
Speaker 3: Yeah, did you say that the settlements amount this It.
Speaker 1: Was a seven million dollar lawsuit that they settled and I don't know how much it was for. It's undisclosed how much they settled for. But since why would they settle if she didn't do if she didn't know, like I well, the problem the Province of Ontario was involved as well. Oh yeah, so I think probably the majority of the money came from like the province, and then like the wife probably threw in.
Speaker 3: Like what she had.
Speaker 1: I know they had a I know that they had a two point four million dollar house in Ottawa that she said that was hers and they were trying to give like the less expensive house was like on his side, and people were on her about her real estate holdings and shit.
Speaker 3: But I think she knew.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just off, just off right now in my gut, Like I don't know. I find it's.
Speaker 3: Like if Jared has one new thing in the house, I'm like, where'd this come from? Like I like I know where.
Speaker 1: Like you know what I mean, Like you just kind of are like, what's in that Duffel bag? Oh, women's lingerie? Like it seems a little but it's free. I don't know if I would go so far as to say she was like, go kill people, because I'm turned on by it.
Speaker 3: But maybe he was bringing her lingerie.
Speaker 2: Because the only reason I'm jumping to this conclusion is because he confessed so quick. I mean like he just was like, yeah, I did it, whatever, get me out of here, Like I don't know, And with the stuff just being everywhere in so much of it, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And they probably would have found out about the other victim because they were actually acquaintances with each other. So once he confessed to the Jessica Lloyd, which is essentially a stranger murder. I'm sure they would have been like, oh, this guy worked with a woman who died, you know, two months ago, so I guess that's why he confess to that. But yeah, not even a not guilty by reason of a mental disease. I don't know if they have that in Canada, but I'm sure they do. Like nothing, just guilty, guilty, guilty, never getting out of jail.
Speaker 2: Canada, they have a whoopsie left charge oops a daisy.
Speaker 3: So that's that. On that so horrific.
Speaker 1: But we have a great guest for today, guys, so don't move a little muscle. Okay, guys, our guest today. You'll never believe how I booked her. Our kids were playing together at a playground and I recognized her from an SVU and was like, you gotta come to my podcast. So she is an actress, both on the dramatic and comedic side. You know her as the star of Don't Trust the Bee in Apartment twenty three, and she was the lead in the very disturbing film Compliance. But you know her today as Detective Rhyes Taymoor. Please enjoy our convo with the delightful dreama Walker DREAMA.
Speaker 3: So good to have you here.
Speaker 1: Famously, basically, I feel like my daughter Rosie got you booked on this podcast because your daughter came up to my daughter somewhere and we start they started coloring together, and then I mean, I booked you for this really on the playground. It's our first playground booking.
Speaker 4: I mean, let's be honest. My daughter came up to your daughter at a bar.
Speaker 3: It was this barcade, what was no, no, you know it.
Speaker 1: It's the bar in our neighborhood that's like kid Central after school, you know, on Friday afternoons. And I like, she just I brought markers because otherwise they just try to like run out onto the street.
Speaker 3: And her little cutie just walked up and was like, can I.
Speaker 1: Draw with you guys? And I was like, of course you can. And then I kept seeing you at the playground and was like, you've been in a NSPU. You have to do my podcast. And then the dream came true. Here we are, here, we are.
Speaker 5: It's all started with the bar, like all good things do.
Speaker 3: And I guess we'll start with something else great.
Speaker 2: I mean, this show is known for a lot but you know Marishka's hair and you came in really rivaling.
Speaker 3: Your hair looked incredible this episode.
Speaker 5: God bless, God bless you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, bless, it was really popping.
Speaker 1: You were ready for that pop, ready for that cop convention with a fresh blowout, and you were ready to do some networking.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 5: It's so funny.
Speaker 4: Every time I've ever done any law in order as for you or otherwise, they're always just so excited to like do beauty makeup, you know, because they're you know, they're trained professionals for hair and makeup. They can do anything, they can do special effects, whatever. But they're always just like, oh, we just get to make you look nice, that's so exciting.
Speaker 2: Was working with Harry Hamlin exciting meeting him?
Speaker 3: Or did that not affect you at all?
Speaker 4: I guess this is the part where we realized that I'm a I'm an uncultured person.
Speaker 5: But I was just like, Oh, you're Lisa Rena's Husband's.
Speaker 3: That's for us.
Speaker 5: That is.
Speaker 2: Did he make you pasta sauce? Did he make any pies? You know?
Speaker 5: I mean, I mean I was just like your Lisa Arena's husband. I don't know.
Speaker 4: I feel like when someone's playing your rapist, you don't like, really let you get.
Speaker 5: To know them too well, you know, you're not like, let's be friends.
Speaker 3: That is true. That's a good point.
Speaker 1: Law and Order original recipe. Is that like your first acting gig. According to IMDb, it's like your first television thing.
Speaker 4: IMDb was correct. Yeah, that was my very first gig. I remember I bought a dog with her. With the money, I think it was like six hundred bucks and it was like the most I'd ever.
Speaker 5: Made, and I was like, I can get a dog now, and I did. Yeah, so it was it was my first job.
Speaker 3: What did you name your first dog?
Speaker 5: Maggie?
Speaker 3: Oh Maggie. Yeah.
Speaker 5: And it's insane. You're not going to believe this. She's still alive.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, she's going to be seventeen in September.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: Amazing, Yeah, crazy, Oh my gosh. And well, so then you did Criminal Intent and O eight. I don't know if you bought another dog with that money, and then you did SVU in twenty fourteen.
Speaker 3: So by the time they brought you in for.
Speaker 1: This episode that we're talking about today forgiving Rollins, were you just like did they did you auditioned for it? Or do they know you by this point in the Law and Order in the Dick Wolf verse, the.
Speaker 5: SVU thing was an offer, which was so generous.
Speaker 4: But at the time I was, you know, working pretty regularly and you know, was at a point in micro roll I was like, well, how much are they paying? They pay really well, wow, And I know people like love the show and so I was like, oh, yeah, I'll happily do it.
Speaker 5: So yeah, I flew to New York to do it.
Speaker 4: And it's really funny, like, you know, not to not that I'm like have even a B lister by a struct of my imagination, but when people come up to me sometimes and they say SVU, I'm like, that's so interesting that in you know, like eighteen years of my body of work, Like that's the thing that some people know me by, and that's it.
Speaker 5: But yeah, it was a cool It's a cool feather in my cap for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, totally.
Speaker 1: I mean, also, it plays constantly, so at any given moments, someone could see you on the street and have just seen your episode like the day before, so it's always refreshing people's minds. So, speaking of highdrama, in the scene where you have to like disclose to Benson. That's like a really I feel like you're real, You're great in that scene, Like it's really really intense because at first you're like shrugging it off like oh no, no, nothing, like everything's fine, and then you're like finally getting into it.
Speaker 3: What was it like opposite.
Speaker 1: Marushka the Number one the doing like that kind of scene, like do you remember anything from I told.
Speaker 4: You on the playground that I have a good story for you and I have a good sy you.
Speaker 5: Okay, So I'm in New York doing this show.
Speaker 4: Obviously, just grateful to have a job, grateful to have an opportunity like this. But if I can be honest with you, at my core, I'm a comedic actress. I don't feel super comfortable doing crying scenes. I moved to New York when I was eighteen. I learned to suppress my emotions. It is how I have survived, and so when someone wants.
Speaker 5: Me to cry, it's really hard for me.
Speaker 4: Because I'm just like, I don't fucking cry anyway. So we're doing this scene with Marishka, and I had kind of made a character choice that like my character was going to be in so much shock from everything that happened that she wasn't going to have an emotional breakdown.
Speaker 5: Which is I mean, definitely does.
Speaker 4: Happen some people, Like I mean, honestly, I think if it were me, I would just be so in shock.
Speaker 5: I wouldn't cry.
Speaker 1: But also, especially because your character is a detective. Yeah she's worked in this like with the victims and stuff, and yeah.
Speaker 4: She's a badass with a blowout, She's not gonna cry. So I'm doing this scene with Mariushka and we're on my coverage and Marishka is not directing the episode, but I mean, she's obviously like a force. And I can't remember what if she like stopped in the middle of a take or what.
Speaker 5: But she was like, honey, she was like, you have such What did she say?
Speaker 4: She's like, you have such a lightness about you and she's like it was a compliment, But I didn't feel like one of the moments she's like, she's like, you're so pretty that you just telling this story without breaking down is not compelling enough.
Speaker 3: Wow, And I was like.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm getting acting advice from this. Legends from this like multi generational legend, and also like I can't tell her like, Hi, I can't cry.
Speaker 5: So I was like, I, you know, it's not like you have like someone with you that you can go talk to and.
Speaker 4: Like stuss it out. I was like, what the fuck am I gonna do? So I was like, all right, I gotta cry from Marishka. So I just thought of some really sad shit that had happened in my life, and I was able to summit the tears, thank god. But I was embarrassed. I mean like she was doing me a favor and I totally get where she was coming from and it was a place to respect. But it also was like, in knowing what I know about myself and my capabilities, I was like, you have gotten my achilles heel.
Speaker 5: Here, like I am not. You know, this is not my forte.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 1: Though we've heard other actors tell us about her like getting tears out of them before, too, Like I feel like she that's so funny that she's like, you're too pretty.
Speaker 3: Like if you were a little bit more.
Speaker 1: Haggard and you know, maybe had like a facial deformity, we would be fine.
Speaker 3: You're just too beautiful.
Speaker 4: I mean it was very nice, and I'm not sure if she was just like serving me a shit sandwich. She was just like, hey, listen, you little blonde bitch. You can't really act like we need you to, so can can I just tell you you're pretty and you like get your shit together?
Speaker 5: Thank you. I don't know, I'll never know, but yeah, it was. It happened.
Speaker 3: It happened.
Speaker 1: So much pressure, wow, so so much. And then it's like she's waiting for it.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, I know, I know, And like I said, it's really difficult. Like for whatever reason, if we were to do like a theatrical production, I would be like really inspired by the audience. Like I don't know, it's it's just such a different thing on a set because you get to know everybody around you so well. Everybody's there, everybody just wants to go home, get the scene done.
Speaker 5: And for you to feel that pressure of like cry, it's like, oh my god, you know, and I just can't. I can't.
Speaker 4: And then I actually have another story for you. I mean, I haven't worked in a while. I've had like a lot of kids, but only two, but you know what I mean. But this is going to like be my nail in the coffin. So it was the shot in the winter, and as soon as I got to New York, I got really sick, like a really bad cold, and I felt like garbage. And of course, like you know, I was going to bed early, taking care of myself. But when you're really sick, there's not much you could do. So the day that we shot the courtroom scene, I remember I had like did everything I could, and they did my coverage first, and after they did my coverage day, I remember they were doing coverage on the.
Speaker 5: Jury and I could not keep my eyes open.
Speaker 4: I was so tired, and like you know, obviously I have lines that they're supposed to react to, but I was standing on the witness stand just like not falling out of my nose, sore a throat, like hide double on cold medicine.
Speaker 5: And I remember nodding.
Speaker 4: Off and I was like, oh my god, I'm gonna get fined, but I'm never gonna work again.
Speaker 5: But I couldn't even that wasn't enough. I was like, but I have to notice sleep.
Speaker 4: And I remember like at one point the ad was just like you know what you can, you can just go take a break. We're going to have your your stand in like read your lines for the jury to react to.
Speaker 5: Which is like totally normal.
Speaker 4: I mean, like if I were, you know, a really big star, that would be normal.
Speaker 5: But I just felt bad that I couldn't stay away.
Speaker 3: Falling asleep on the stand is cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I was just like, I'm sure no one has ever been this chill in this position before, but here I was big like, yeah.
Speaker 3: You I really could.
Speaker 1: You couldn't tell you didn't sound stuffed up or anything like in the actual scene when you're in court, because I remember being like, like really impressed with your testimony because a lot of times, even when the person's like really like you were just like the most prepped witness that the show's ever seen, like always this is are like a little bit shaky, and you were just like this is what happened. Well, yep, there was drinking and this is what happened. Like you were just really to the point. How was that courtroom scene like face with like Barbara with Raoula Sparza, Oh my gosh, it was awesome.
Speaker 5: Everyone was so nice.
Speaker 4: God, I'm telling you, those those their hours are just insane. But they're just like a well oiled machine. Everybody knows what they're doing. And I mean no offense, but like New York actors are just like they don't find they show up, they know all their lines and everybody else's they're like kind, they're they're they're amazing compared to LA actors, I feel like, but yeah, every everybody's just so their work ethic is always incredible, and you know, the crew is amazing, and I'm just like, you had to take like seven trains to get here and there's four feet of snow, and you guys are gonna be here for eighteen.
Speaker 5: Hours and you're not going to complain, Like you guys are incredible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you mentioned the hours, So I loved Don't Trust the Being Apartment twenty.
Speaker 3: Three, Me too, Me too. I was a watcher. It was so good. What were those hours?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 2: Is Law and Order even wilder? Because I feel like most shows are just such long hours. But something is different with SVO.
Speaker 5: Something's different with SBU.
Speaker 4: I mean any drama, obviously you have twice the material and then also like you have big scenes like courtrooms or dinner tables or you know that kind of stuff that just requires a lot of coverage. I used to make a joke it's probably still not funny, but I'll make it anyway. So like, like I remember when I first got started, a like, oh, you want to see what their elbow looks like during this scene? Like sometimes it just seems like there's so many setups that you're just like, what.
Speaker 5: In the you can't we have got this?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 5: But I'm lazy and that's why I haven't made a movie.
Speaker 3: A movie.
Speaker 4: But yeah, no, John Dressabe was like a dream job. It was like half days, you know, we'd be done by like three o'clock. And yeah, I mean I do think comedy like requires as you guys know, like requires a lot of energy that is hard for anyone and everyone to give.
Speaker 5: But I'd much rather do that than cry all day. I'm not Elizabeth Moss, you know what I mean. It's not gonna happen for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so okay, we're huge Sex and the City people. It is on your IMDb, but it doesn't say what episode. It only says two thousand and eight.
Speaker 5: As it's the movie.
Speaker 3: Ho oh my god. I was like, what the fuck? They usually have the information? Oh my god, that's incredible.
Speaker 5: Who I wear a bow tie? I am like a waitress.
Speaker 4: I have like two lines it's it was dumb, but obviously it was like huge when it happened. Michael Patrick King, which every time I say that name, I think I'm making it up, but I'm not. Michael Patrick King had all of us, everyone who had like a bit part in that, like had a very like lengthy extended audition like where we had to do like improv and like like I feel like there.
Speaker 5: Was even like movement stuff in it.
Speaker 4: And it was really fun because it was like me and like a bunch of my friends that were all actors or whatever. But I feel like he wanted to see like who you know, kind of like who was like serious about it or who was I don't know, And it was an honor at the time.
Speaker 5: But now I'm just like, oh, I'm wearing a bow tie looking confused.
Speaker 3: But now that I see the year, it all makes sense and I feel like a fool.
Speaker 5: But yeah, that's so funny. Oh my gosh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because like sec in the City, the show was like when I was probably in high school or something, so that would have been really crazy. If it's like, oh this, we're gonna have this girl from Florida bean sext this safe.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, that would have been weird. We're in Florida, I'm from Tampa, whoa.
Speaker 5: And usually the conversation is over after No, we had.
Speaker 1: A fun show in Tampa. We did a show in Tampa where the tampav Oh, that's awesome. It's really good to know.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, obviously I like it because I'm from there, but yeah, it's like it's a super cute place, but people.
Speaker 5: Love to make fun of it, especially Tina Thing. And then I actually grew up with Britney Snow.
Speaker 4: We performed together in a performing group and she, oh, this is where it gets even crazier.
Speaker 5: So like my older brother and sister, they did commercials and stuff when they were younger. They were like super cute, like worked all the time. I didn't. I'd like to think that it was because of my personality, but I think it may have been because of my looks too, I don't know.
Speaker 4: Anyway, along comes adorable Brittany Snow and her mom is like, I'd like to get Brittany into that stuff.
Speaker 5: And my mom was the first person to get Brittany Snow. Her agent Oh.
Speaker 3: Ya, I mean it.
Speaker 4: God love you for saying that, No, I'm not tan enough or you know, uh, I don't. I'm sorry to disappoint you.
Speaker 2: I know, I know.
Speaker 3: This is the uniform of Tampa both all of these things you're not.
Speaker 4: I mean, I know, I'm just letting you guys down. But yeah, so my mom was the first one to get Britney snow her like Orlando Agent and yeah, you know, I mean, like Britney's so beautiful and was always like so cute and charismatic. And then before we knew it, she had like ascended to like having a TV show in high school and I would say she's wedding.
Speaker 3: She's also in an amazing SVU episode as well.
Speaker 5: Oh, I'm sure she is.
Speaker 3: It's based on that. It's based on the it's like the Tom Cruise thing or something.
Speaker 2: Right. Oh, like it's like a celebrity being again like against psychodelic, against psychotropic medication, and so she stops taking her medication and she does all this crazy stuff because she needs to be a medication.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it's with Norman Ritis. It's a star studded one.
Speaker 1: Now, your IMDb, which lies all the time, did say that you were in a teen pop band called Schoolgirls where there's an apostrophe or an asterisk.
Speaker 3: It's like stylized as like school girls, like what tell us the truth? I can tell you the look on your face that it's true.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you don't know anything, very intuitive person.
Speaker 4: No, you know, I really thought that i'd escaped the wrath of that coming back to life because I thought that that was kind of like pre Internet. But I guess nothing's pre internet anymore now that there's the Internet.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So I was in a pop group.
Speaker 4: That was the thing that you did, you know, when you were like trying not to get pregnant in Tampa. So yeah, I was in a pop group, and to be honest, it's actually how I got where I got today. I ended up getting representation through that said pop group.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's crazy.
Speaker 1: So okay, how was working with Kelly Giddish? We've had her on our podcast. She's lovely. Oh she was so cool, you guys. We had like big sister, little sister energy in that show too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she was so cool.
Speaker 5: I remember she had like a This was kind of like her first, wasn't it. It was like her first really big thing.
Speaker 3: It was a big episode for her because it was like really focused on her.
Speaker 5: It might have been like no, No, I'm sorry. I'm not talking about my episode. I'm talking about like her getting Oh yeah, I'm gonna Yes, that's like a huge, amazing job.
Speaker 4: But I felt like she just kind of had like the discipline and like all the like stuff that you needed to succeed. Remember she had a giant shreadmill in her dressing room at Chelsea Pierre's. And I was just like, dang, girl, Like for you to wake up at five in the morning and like say all your sad crazy lines all.
Speaker 5: Day and then go run on a tread like, good for you. Yeah, I'm just gonna go eat a donut with toddler. Yeah that's that's how I'm parent anyway. But yeah, I thought she was awesome.
Speaker 4: And I also feel like I've heard from other people that she's she's a good person and she's a great actress.
Speaker 3: So yeah, yeah she was cool. When we talked to her dog known to bring her dog to set.
Speaker 4: Probably, I'm wondering if I brought my dogs that trip. I think I brought my dogs that trip too, But.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I feel like I feel like she did have she has a bigger dog.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Her dog's name is Franny.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you guys are so cute for knowing that that's rible.
Speaker 1: Well, the dog is on the show as her dog too, so she walks her own dog on the show sometimes when she's like doing a sting and pretending to just walk a dog so that someone will attack her or whatever.
Speaker 3: God, you know, just a day in the life of Amanda Rollins.
Speaker 1: Oh man, do you have any other like you gave us so much, but any other little like memories from the set that you.
Speaker 2: Want to throw in there, like or anything upcoming that you're excited about to tell the listeners.
Speaker 4: Fuck all, No, Like I said, I had a bunch of kids, ipe you and I sneeze now, you know. Yeah, between like the pandemic and becoming a mom, my careers just kind of slowed.
Speaker 5: My agent says it'll get better. We'll see. I don't know, to be honest, like.
Speaker 4: I said, I really I just like making people laugh. I want to write, I want to I'm going to do comedy. That's kind of where my where my heart is at. So hopefully, you know, I can make that happen one day.
Speaker 3: But Drake figures itself out, Yeah, and we can. It's so crazy do cool fun things.
Speaker 5: I know, I know it's so bananas. But then the actors are going to go on strike too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, good good, that's right. Well, this has been awesome. Thank you so much.
Speaker 5: Love all the guys are so sweet.
Speaker 1: She was lovely to talk to, love her. She still see her all the time around town. That's I worked on the podcast through my children. The first was Virginia, but this is the second one. But she's great and it sounds like she had a blast on the set. I mean, this episode was a toughie. I mean we got a lot of Rollin's emotion, a lot of emotional Rollins.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: I think this episode does a great job of showing like all the reasons why people don't come forward and how it causes more problems instead of less, and hopefully one day people will understand that to be like, well why didn't you why didn't you say any of that? You know, there's so many reasons and it's like professional, like, I mean, Rollins ran away, went all the way to New York and still they won't leave her ass alone, you know, like it's disgusting, and we learned that wives will just.
Speaker 3: Like believe they're weird. Harry Hamblin Husbands, I don't know. Yeah, but also that like I thought it was like freaky.
Speaker 1: Also like her boss is taking advantage and being a like criminal advantage. But then her coworker like that guy was like you never had any time for me. It's like he's just like he can't even Like these guys are all like loyal to each other and are just like, oh wow, you're giving it to the boss, but not to me. Like the guy that like tried to she had to kick him in the balls with Franny. Yeah, he grossed me out. He's in a couple of other episodes too, as that character where you could tell he's just like leering, like he wants Amanda, but like she'll never but.
Speaker 3: They all get married. It's just like you can all be sluts.
Speaker 2: I just don't get why you have to be married to someone while also trying to like sexually harass your coworkers. Honestly, as much as we talked about how dudes are like have kids and get married, we should start an anti campaign being like leave us alone. Yeah, then don't get married if you don't want to be with your wife. Yeah, no one is forcing marriage upon you, Like I don't understand it, Like I like, I understand if.
Speaker 3: You were you did want to be with your wife. You've fallen out of love, get divorced? What's going on?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Honestly, while I was yelling why are you doing this? I realized who else is going to do the laundry?
Speaker 1: Exactly? Who's going to do your laundry? Who's gonna cook and clean for you? Raise your children?
Speaker 3: B blah blah blah.
Speaker 2: I think we could keep this little post mortem quick since we talked for forty five minutes about every c crime that I've ever read about this week.
Speaker 3: Agree, let's move on. Let's move on to what would sister peg?
Speaker 2: Do?
Speaker 3: You guys know this?
Speaker 1: It's our weekly segment our WWSPD where we direct you to a blog, a podcast episode, a podcast episode, a documentary, something to help you learn a little bit more about what we talked about in today's episode. And this week, I wanted to direct you, guys to the National Woman's Law Center for legal help for sex discrimination and harassment. You can find legal help if you're experiencing sex discrimination or harassment at work, if you're a student, and if you're a patient and the discrimination is related to healthcare. No one should be no one should be grinning and bearing it at work and being like, well, as soon as I get this promotion, it's gonna be good, like you know, you gotta this's this place has resources and ways to help, so they have several other resources if the harassment took place outside of any of the previously mentioned circumstances, such as a cop convention in New York City. For more information, go to NWLC dot org and the link will also, as always be in our show notes and on our Instagram story day of the release, and in the WWSPD two story highlight forever.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for that, and drum roll please next week Ballerina Season ten.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, a top ten since the beginning, like we've been wanting to do this one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so have so much fun watching it, and then I'm sure you'll watch the next five after that and we will see you next week. We're obsessed with all of you. Come see us live, give us a little rate review, and live your dreams. Bye, guys, that's messed up as an exactly right production.
Speaker 1: If you have compliments you'd like to give us or episodes you'd like us to cover, shoot us an email.
Speaker 3: That's messed uppod at gmail dot.
Speaker 2: Com, follow the podcast on Instagram at That's Messed Up Pod and on Twitter at messed Up Pod, and follow us personally at Kara Klank and at Glitter Cheese.
Speaker 1: As always, please see our show notes for sources and more information.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much to our producer Kac O'Brien, and to.
Speaker 1: Our mixer John Bradley and our guest booker Patrick Cotner, and to.
Speaker 2: Henry Kaperski for our theme song and Carly gen Andrews for our artwork.
Speaker 1: Thank you to our executive producers Georgia Hardstar, Karen Kilgarriff, Daniel Kramer, and everybody at Exactly Right Media
Speaker 3: Dun Dune