Speaker 1: Really Now, Really.
Speaker 2: Really Now Really, Hello and welcome to Really No Really, with Jason Alexander and Peter Tilden, who respectfully say, don't wait to be a hundred before you subscribe to our show, because speaking of one hundred, Jason and Peter invite you today to enjoy this our special one hundredth episode as we celebrate two years of Really No Really. Our mission was to find answers to questions that intrigued us, and along the way we met many fascinating guests like Kit Boga, the online influencer who effectively scams the scammers, Brian Johnson, the tech entrepreneur who's attempting to turn back his biological clock and d age himself, Samuel West, the founder of the highly successful Museum of Failure, and George Church, the Harvard professor who's heading the scientific mission to bring back the Wooly Mammoth. We were also visited by some people that everybody knows, but we found out much more about, like William Shatner, who explained what would have happened on his recent mission to space if he'd suffered a heart attack. Actor Wayne Knight, who dished about the somewhat controversial atmosphere on the Seinfeld set, Dick Van Dyke, the beloved and inspirational performer, who discussed his amazing seventy year career and even sang for us, and Breaking Bad's Brian Cranston, who enabled us.
Speaker 3: To introduce Walter White to George Costanza.
Speaker 2: So please join Jason and Peter as they reveal their favorite episodes and recall the moments that collectively made us go really, no, really.
Speaker 3: Do do do? Boy? You're a really when you get anger?
Speaker 4: So this is this is memory lane, David, this is the great reminiscence.
Speaker 1: This is the hundredth episode we're commemorating, and we're thinking of all the great moments over the last two years.
Speaker 3: Wow, this is the one thing to go.
Speaker 4: I can I say of all of our endeavors together, all that we've done three television series together, We've done live shows together, We've created all kinds of things. Nothing Zephyr reached one hundred that we have we have touched.
Speaker 3: Ten is a big number for us. So here's a number. Yeah.
Speaker 5: In September, Yeah, I saw the three hundred and thirty thousand new podcasts were published.
Speaker 3: In September alone. September alone, and how many.
Speaker 4: Of them right now, at this minute, I have better ratings than ire. No, kid, I kid because IATI no. When people say, after two years, am I tired of doing this?
Speaker 3: You know, not at all. I Every time we sit down and do this, we learned something.
Speaker 4: It's I meet somebody that I'm fascinated by and I've learned something that I was not going to learn any other way.
Speaker 3: And so far they've all been interesting learning.
Speaker 4: It hasn't been you know, you could teach me about the great battles of World War One.
Speaker 3: I'm not. It's learning, but I'm not going to use it anywhere.
Speaker 4: This has all been stuff that I in conversations everywhere I go, I go. You know, we had a guy on the podcast who talked about such and such and and it it becomes useful information and interesting information to share with people. So so we're doing great. We're doing actually we are doing not say great?
Speaker 3: Should should I use mister k ABC line?
Speaker 4: But we're better than most, not as good as sung there.
Speaker 3: There you go. No, we're fine to David Walkers' got to do this.
Speaker 5: Our best friends get to hang together, yes, and find out interesting things like what David.
Speaker 3: Yes, David, what do we got. Let's remind us what we.
Speaker 1: Call Well, let's go back to our first video episode with everyone's favorite William Shatner.
Speaker 4: Oh, live long and prosper, and he continues to do so, my god, he continues to not only live long, somehow, he continues to prosper.
Speaker 5: And he looks. It's he's not aging like most people. Do you know what I mean? He still looked really well. And he still got all his beans, all his marbles at ninety so he's got.
Speaker 3: The ones he had. Yeah. Aha, you love Shatner, So I love those too. Yeah. He's been a friend of my captain, my admiral. We were thrilled to have him.
Speaker 5: And he had just been launched into space at age ninety one away, so God.
Speaker 4: And hadn't considered the fact that there was not a doctor or a medical team on board with him. Yeah, And I think the big line from that episode we said what if you what if you start to have a heart attack?
Speaker 3: And he said, they.
Speaker 4: Told me, They told me that the G force would act like a defibrillator and.
Speaker 3: On the way up, and I said, Bill, is that do you believe it? I can't remember what he said.
Speaker 6: They closed the door, and then a voice, the moderator of the guy's voice. So, all right, now, if anybody wants to leave, they should leave now because we're removing the gantry. If anybody want wants to leave, leave now?
Speaker 7: What are they talking about?
Speaker 3: Why would you want to leave? I can think about.
Speaker 8: Me.
Speaker 5: You can referl a list. So did they give you a contingency if it takes off and somebody has a heart attack on the way up, or somebody gets sick?
Speaker 3: Is there a doctor on the crew? Is there anybody if something? Man, you're dead floating? You're dead and floating.
Speaker 6: You're you're yes, you're floating.
Speaker 3: Wow? Did they bring it? Did they?
Speaker 6: Presumably the GE's going up and the g's coming down will bring you back to life because they're so uh grocious.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's what they tell you. Do you believe it?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 3: I didn't either. That doesn't make any sense. But he did it, God, but he is.
Speaker 5: He's a pretty unique, unique individuals around a long time.
Speaker 3: That's more in a week than we do in a month. Yes, you got it, Yes, David. Well.
Speaker 1: Another thing that's that's made it through the one hundredth is so does we still have the bell, the much maligned belt.
Speaker 5: You don't know what that does to me and Laurie every time that's the producer lawyer, every time he hits that. The things I think of that I could do to him that involved this membrane flitting as it's just it's enough. It's enough, it's a great belly. It is the signature of our show. It's the signature of our show.
Speaker 1: The belt, unlike, unlike the clown cookie.
Speaker 3: Away, I didn't I that was not my I didn't bring that in.
Speaker 5: I wanted to use that for picking really no release for guests out of the head and being creative.
Speaker 3: He nixed it. I didn't mix it. You just you just made a statement.
Speaker 4: And I want to say categorically what has happened repeatedly over these hundred episodes is you make statements as if you know because of the depth of our friendship and the time we spent together. You make a declarative statement that is categorically false, and I have no way to push back against it.
Speaker 3: So the statement just made it is I.
Speaker 4: Mixed the clown. I didn't mix the clown. We came and the clown was gone. I hadn't said Schnai about the clown. The clown was inconsequential to me. You didn't use it, so it was here or it wasn't here. I didn't mix the clown. Let it be known. I didn't mix the clown.
Speaker 3: Category let me do that. I don't. I'm a terrible driver compared to you know you're bringing out it. Let's let's address the clown.
Speaker 4: Let's address the clim David, what he does will not be one hundred and one episode, that's for sure.
Speaker 5: What he does, what he does repeatedly is forgets what he has said.
Speaker 4: So really, who's the one that memorizes the lines for a living?
Speaker 3: Who's the one that has to retain?
Speaker 5: There you go, this is our relationship. Okay, So David, the clown he nixed. I brought it in. I wanted to do it. He said, I don't understand what this is. Let's not do it. So that was it. The clown disappeared. Why would I bring the clown it? Get rid of it, myldern. Oh my god, don't do that, because you don't.
Speaker 10: I wish we had a I mixed the clown, made fun of him about the clown. I even mixed the clown I don't mix anything on this show. If I was gonna mix anything, there's about twenty other things I could think.
Speaker 3: Of that I would mix before I got to the clown. Let's move on, let's move on very high. Let's move on and just say the clown's name was Nick.
Speaker 1: To get back to better times, Yes, we had we had a dancing guest who was about to hit one hundred years old, Dick Van Type.
Speaker 10: Oh.
Speaker 5: Yes, indeed, that's why you can say my way, I should say I hadn't met Dick before whatever. But he loved you. You actually did special. There are certain people you melt and go. He's authentic, is everything, is everything you wanted to get back. He made it to ninety nine.
Speaker 4: And there's there's no reason to believe he won't make it to a one hundred. Yeah, and by the way, kudos because also on that episode was his wife, Arlen, who was wonderful. It is wonderful, and you know, it's one of those marriages where there is you know, decades between them and some of us who are I don't know why people raise eyebrows at these things, but you know some people go, oh, you know when they see it made the simber thing.
Speaker 3: They go, it's a gold digger kind of thing. This is a couple that truly loves each.
Speaker 4: Other and enjoy takes every matter of each other, enjoys each other.
Speaker 3: There is it was.
Speaker 4: It was actually one of those relationships that you go, oh, that's how it should be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you got it right away. We weren't sure. And then as soon as you see them together, I told.
Speaker 4: And I said to Arlene, you know what, and she goes, we sing together every day.
Speaker 3: And they said I had lost music and he.
Speaker 4: Brought music back into my life and they sing together.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, what was What were you?
Speaker 4: What were you thinking when when you're on a joyous hit show and the boss wants to pull the plug?
Speaker 3: What were you? I mean, did you go that's it, I'm done, I'm finished.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, I didn't know what we were going. Everybody and Mary Taylor Moore.
Speaker 11: You had the movie, you had Mary Poppins in between those did Poppins?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that would be that was that during the run of the show.
Speaker 8: Yeah, uh huh, yeah, it was yeah, right, that's right. During the time off we shot it only took four months. Chitty Bang Bang took over a year. Really, we couldn't find any sun in England, was waiting for the.
Speaker 5: Yeah we got shot, amazing, amazing, So Dick van Dyke to one hundred and plus, go get.
Speaker 1: Him brother right, and then another one of our most popular epiod you actually do you guys know what the most popular episode that we would.
Speaker 3: Guess either Brian Cranston or Wayne Knight. Wayne Knight, Wayne Knight.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I'm laughing because Wayne, you keep fires differently than most people.
Speaker 3: You know. But he's a joy and he's fat.
Speaker 5: First of all, he's a fascinating, very intelligent, very well ranged, one of the one of the smartest, smart, really smart, but man, he fires and whey that We've done a bunch of projects with him. You of course worked with him on Seinfeld, but we did a couple of things with him.
Speaker 3: Remember when we did a Donnie Clay with him? We did it? Yeah, Oh my god.
Speaker 5: He's just and he never does the same thing twice and he kills you every time he does it.
Speaker 4: Very funny man, very smart man with a with a with a range of ability that you know, as most characters do, they they don't get to show you the full right uh. And I remember for me the seminal exchange on that episode was I. I had said to him, you know, I had found out there were one or two notable people who said that when they did the show as a guest, they didn't have the best experience. They they found us to be I guess cold or whatever. And so I said to him, did you think we were a warm group or a cool group?
Speaker 3: And he went, do you remember what he said? It was a great answer. Were we cold? Were we welcoming? Were we warm?
Speaker 7: Were you were professional? And you were the top show on television? And it was like, this is opening night on Broadway? Don't up?
Speaker 3: Is that the vibe?
Speaker 7: The vibe is that everybody was thrilled to be there and they and they understood the nature of this beast. And Jerry was very was welcoming and friendly. Larry was scary as hell because he was too relaxed seeming, and you couldn't like, how could somebody so laconic and loose.
Speaker 3: Scary? Right right, right, right right?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 7: I think that.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 7: I think that I enjoyed being on the show because every time you started a scene, you knew it delivered. You just had to not be in the way of it, right find the joke, hit the joke, the joke is there. So I mean the number of shows I've been on where you know, you go on an expedition to find the joke. This was not that The material it was always good, he said.
Speaker 4: Even if you guys had been the most welcoming people in the world, there was still attention because you go, I can't miss this up.
Speaker 3: This is the best.
Speaker 8: Ye.
Speaker 4: I never having that perspective because I really did think we were kind of over the other.
Speaker 5: Thing about that, and that jumps to the Friends with Matthew Perry who died when you found out that he was in such pain because he knew, like on Friends, they were always bringing it and he felt he needed to bring it. You don't even realize the pressure or casts of a successful show is under the deliver every day. So his insight was refreshing. And also he's just outspoken with talked about Sharon Stone in the famous scene and Wayne is looking at it and.
Speaker 3: He revealed, yeah, she was, she was, probably she was not that he couldn't see it a light box exactly, So.
Speaker 1: Who could forget as you said, Jason the Brian grantson episode where we finally had George Constanza meet Walter White.
Speaker 3: Why so I got two iconic characters here.
Speaker 5: I just want to see, because you can cry on on c how quickly you can both get into that, how quickly you can get into Walter the White and Jason can get into George three to one go, Well, I.
Speaker 3: Just had my name. I just have to put on glasses. He has to shave his head. That's not Walter the White White Wall, So that's not Heisenberg.
Speaker 4: And first of all, why Heisenberg?
Speaker 3: Why and what? And what's what the hat? Yeah? What was what the hat? You talk a lot, little man. Oh, I'm scared. I'm supposed to be scared now right. I don't live in his world? Blue myth? Was the blue mistake? Or did you plan that? Did he come out blue and you went, let's leave it came out blue? Why not? Probably?
Speaker 5: I would watch the George Constanzo Walter White interview show. Can you imagine those if.
Speaker 3: Jesse had been George? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Exactly, true iconic characters. And that was based on the fact that Brian said, I'm retiring. Have you heard a peep about the retirement since he said?
Speaker 4: You know, Brian and are good friends. I think he is cutting back. I think he is cutting a lot of stuff out of his life. You know, we know Brian as an actor, but Brian has been a producer. Brian's been developing Brian. Brian's been a very busy guy. Here's a liquor, you know, and right exactly all that and I think, you know, I think he made a promise to Robin that come age seventy, which he I think he's two years from now.
Speaker 3: Maybe forgive me if I'm aging here.
Speaker 4: Brian he made a promise to her that he would, in fact, you know, cut a lot of that out and make a lot more time for them. But we yeah, we were exploring, you know, why would you retire If you love what you're doing and people are asking you to do it, why would you retire?
Speaker 3: We were exploring.
Speaker 5: He's another one fascinating multi multi third guy. Who did you meet him on Seifer? Was that the first time you met him?
Speaker 4: Probably? I know I did a Malcolm episode and I can't remember. I must have been doing something.
Speaker 5: Was he supposed to be on one time as a dentist who wanted to convert to be funny, but he saw on more than one time because he.
Speaker 4: Whenever, whenever we got somebody and we went, oh, that's that's special.
Speaker 3: I mean Jackie Child. Well, okay, Greg Morris.
Speaker 5: What I read about Brian was that he made Jerry laugh because during the scene they didn't know he was going to put on the put the stuff on his own and take a hit. Yeah, and when he took everybody went, oh, oh my gosh, this guy's goal.
Speaker 3: No, it was it was clear Brian was you know, whatever happened to him after sign it right anyway, Yeah, they all disappeared. The opposite of that.
Speaker 1: Another one of our big ones the Secret to Happiness with doctor Laurie Santo. So we were talking about the course in how to Become a.
Speaker 5: Happy Person, Yeah, which which so many people man. There are ways to be grateful and thankful.
Speaker 4: Well that was basically what she was talking about, was you know, in a lot of ways. If I remember the conversation correctly, she talked about one of the things that I understand and I agree with and try to spout if you want to be happy, concentrate on other people, because it's it's it's when you put the spotlight firmly on yourself and you're going, how do I feel about this?
Speaker 3: Am I? Okay? Do I have what I want? Am I happy? Am I?
Speaker 4: And the minute you go, hey, I see somebody who could use a hand. That that is more of the path to happiness.
Speaker 12: So much talk these days about like self care. You know, people are like, oh, do you talk about self care in your class? You know, an idea of treat yourself? Right, you know, parks and recreation kind of gut us on the wrong path because we think that happiness is all about me, me, me. But if you look at happy people, what you find is happy people are doing stuff for other people. Controlled for income, Happy people are giving more of their money away than not so happy people. Right, So I think we get this idea of self care wrong. The really easy hack for our own self happiness is to do something nice for other people to kind of get out of our headspace. And you know, if people are listening right now and feeling you know, depressed or kind of this some of the nasty stuff we've talked about is resonating. Pick one thing you can do for somebody else, Text a friend, you know, donate five bucks to charity if you've got free five bucks, right, Just something you can do to get out of your own headspace and become a little bit more other or ended. You know, the data suggests that that will instantly start to make you feel better, and it'll create a positive feedback loop. Hopefully we're doing more stuff for other people and starting to feel better and better, and then that's just great for everybody.
Speaker 1: We have spoken with several comedians on the program that have just been so hilarious. I mean, we have Kevin Pollack, we have Judd Apatow, we have LeeAnne Morgan, and even AI George Carlin.
Speaker 5: Oh, yeah, George's act. And it turned out that they didn't AI if they lied about AI, and two comedians actually wrote it. And that's what we think happened.
Speaker 3: That the AI and his voice doing it. They had his voice doing it.
Speaker 5: So you got a legacy of not being that funny towards the end of your life and a whole generation of people being exposed to not George Carlin as George carl.
Speaker 4: But it was a really interesting conversation with his daughter because not only did these guys do it and should they have the right to do it as a legal question, but she and the estate got nothing. They're they're appropriating essentially her father and presenting it as new material from her father that even if it was good, better and different, her father should profit from it to some degree. Didn't write and it was as she was suing at the time. And I don't know what became of that lie.
Speaker 3: I think she won.
Speaker 5: And they admitted, if I'm correct that they admitted that they used there for his voice, but they wrote the material.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then of course we had we've we've actually covered the scams and cons and several different angles. I mean, we talked about just your basic scammers online. We've had fake psychic scammers and the PI that was looking into.
Speaker 3: That wine fraud what we've talked about.
Speaker 1: And even we had kit Bogan who goes online and pretends to be a victim of scam artists to the scammer's busy with the fake scam so they're not scamming old people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we did one online. I played his mother.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he did it very well, but I was going, well, sort of yeah, sort of. Absolutely, it was a little bit of my mother, a little bit of how it sturn's mother. Well, ask him, why is he asking me? I don't know these answers he's a robot. I think he's a robot.
Speaker 3: Tell me your body name, your last name. Oh and he wants your last names, and you just hold on. Okay, Richard and Maureen Andrews look us up. Of course we're here. We need your help.
Speaker 8: Brought you the five hundred dollars five hundred that I don't know if we're going to be around for another five years.
Speaker 3: He wants five five years. We get sold right now. We can solve it now, that's what you don't evolve it? Ahead? Yes, what is wrong with you? My god? We will not fight the machine right in front of the machine. Do you know what you do?
Speaker 5: You play an old woman as if she could last into the ten years, but potentially go this afternoon, you.
Speaker 3: Know what I mean? Because there's a bit of pain in the voice. What do you so? Yeah? No, Kit was? Kit was? He was fascinating. Yeah.
Speaker 5: And the fact that that that he came up with, that that I'm going to scam the scammers and tie them up and put them out of businesses a pretty good thing. I think he could do that all day long, because that's coming up with new scamm yeah constantly.
Speaker 1: And then of course we've we've talked to people about the jobs that other people.
Speaker 3: Don't want to do.
Speaker 1: I mean, we've we've had uh, Tom Cruise's stuntman, the stomach coordinator. We've had python hunters that went out into the crocodile handlers and how they're putting their heads in the crocodile's head.
Speaker 3: A number of the My favorite.
Speaker 4: Thing that came out of the the animal Handlers is a personal in house story that you know very well about our different mister Guggenheim who the year that we had the Python Lady on. This is a woman, a tiny woman by the way, she's five foot you know nothing is credited with catching one of the world's biggest pythons in the Florida ever Glands single handedly. Well that year for Christmas, I had sent friends of mine a belt, a very special belt that has a unique locking system.
Speaker 3: It's not there's no holes in the belt. There's just a little ratchets.
Speaker 4: And I sent one to David, and David apparently emailed you and said, hey, can do you have the address of the Python Lady?
Speaker 3: I need it desperate.
Speaker 4: It does and you rode back wide he said, put Jason's belt on.
Speaker 3: I can't get out.
Speaker 5: So our lawyer sent a series of pictures of him trying to get out of the belt, and he had a chainsaw blow blow all this stuff. And I admitted to Jason, I think it's how long goes up Let's list last year. So I have not I tell David the other day, I have not attempted to use the belt because I'm scared because.
Speaker 3: I remember the first time wearing it right now. But the first time you.
Speaker 5: Used it, you had to go to the bathroom and panic because you couldn't.
Speaker 3: Get it off. Well, that's true. So I put it on the first time and I had to. I was at Defcom one and I told David.
Speaker 5: So I told David, it's not that I don't like the belt. I'm scared of it, but I do care it with me all the time because if I get into my snake or something bad happens, it's a tourney.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I'll never be a block. I'm wearing it right now. It's easy, peasy to use. And you just said I have to go to the bathroom. Somebody cut cut this off me. No, that's that you're a great belt, great belt, great belt. I'm I'm wearing.
Speaker 1: I could unratchet myself right now if I could hear it.
Speaker 3: We also we've.
Speaker 1: Done a lot on technology, some of the really cool things about technology.
Speaker 3: We have TikTok bands.
Speaker 1: We've talked about the AI realities and possibility. They're cloning controversies, they're bringing back the man mammoth, human computer connections. We're making cyborgs here. Elon Musk is the next thing after Tesla is a cyborg.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: We did and and all kinds of human engineering and technology. We also had the guy who's the aging.
Speaker 3: Dan Brian John. He's doing he's doing great.
Speaker 5: Out to him for something and he got right back to be funny for you had him and again in another year and an eight year old books like he's just starting preschool whatever. It's like wow, and we laughed at you. Look at you, yeah, putting it together, look at you always there's so much tech.
Speaker 3: He's like the end of two thousand and one. He's just.
Speaker 13: I had this experience where in the evening seven PM, this version of me evening Brian would come out and he's a monster. Okay, that's not too entirely true. He would be saddled with all of the burdens of life, the stresses of the fires at work, that the fights with the partner, that the kids are hanging on the legs, you know, like you're trying to bathe them and put them to bed. And the only thing evening Brian wanted was relief from the pain. And he would then think, those damn brownies, right, the whole ten is there in the kitchen. It was the only thing he could do to try to offset the pain he felt in life. And so for every night or years, evening Brian would show up and eat something and I tried everything I could have stop him.
Speaker 7: I never could.
Speaker 13: It was just overwhelming. One day I said, out of you know, like almost tongue in cheek, evening, Brian, you make my life miserable.
Speaker 7: You're fired.
Speaker 13: And I felt this relief, and so I said, Okay, this is fun. I'm gonna play with this from five pm to ten pm. The version of Brian that runs me does not have authority to eat food, no matter what. He cannot eat food did He is not responsible. He makes mourning Brian hate life. He makes you know, dad Brian a bad dad. And so then I started building this idea and it developed into this concept where we built an algorithm using machine intelligence that takes better care of me than I can myself. I basically said, my mind is not qualified to run me. My mind is going to eat bad food, it is going to eat junk food, it's going to overeat, it's going to do all these terrible things. And we have these algorithms that do a much better job at many things when we can ourselves. So why wouldn't I have an algorithm run me? And so then we started measuring. I became the most measured person in human history with all the data we put, look at the scientific evidence. We built an algorithm, and then my only thing I had to say to let's say yes to was yes to operate the algorithm. And so that's what I think the twenty fifth century would say is it's say humans figured out their default cognition ran them into trouble, and that algorithms were actually much better and made them happier and more prosperous and more successful than they ever could be themselves.
Speaker 3: I wonder if he's happy doing all that stuff. He seemed pretty joyous. I you know, I don't know.
Speaker 4: You don't keep that up if you're not getting something out of it because his sing.
Speaker 3: But he's selling supplement, he's got a business, he's a multi he's like my father would say, if you see his books, you know, but.
Speaker 4: It's it's uh. He has to men because he described what he does every day to do this, and.
Speaker 3: It's that's what I mean. That's that's what I mean.
Speaker 4: So if he's not getting some pleasure out of that, it's not That's why I'm saying, is he happy?
Speaker 5: Because you know, what are you doing today? I'm going to see wicked? You say to him, what are you doing today? I'm inserting something in my penis. I'm starting up my head.
Speaker 3: I gotta taken five miles three times.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and then I'm taking him squeezing my eyeballs to get a thing that I'm going and then it's all day long. I'm eating this which is like hardboard with nutrition and it.
Speaker 3: So I don't know how happy he is. By the way, it's my prominence.
Speaker 5: The comedy writer said, I went to the doctor and the doctor said, if you do treadmill, it'll left five years to your life.
Speaker 3: And he said, yeah, but it's five years of treadmill. So that's what I mean. It's a guy happy. I don't know, I think he's happy. Okay.
Speaker 1: We have these these trends tourism, right, we have sleep tours in there. We were talking about We've talked about what happens to your luggage when it loses it and how to buy it from other people. We had CNN's Richard quest On to talking about airline safety with a year of you know, things popping off of plans, and of course our friend that went down to the bottom of the seed and look at the Titanic a few months before the darn thing popped.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Mike, Mike Gas one of the writers and was a producer on The Simpsons for a long long time.
Speaker 4: And he and his wife go to the most dangerous places in the world. He's been kidnapped, he's been threatened. He told us the long story about when we were the most frightened. He said, I was in the middle of some sub Saharan desert and the guy had no gas or the car wouldn't start, and we brought nothing.
Speaker 3: They got no Yeah, right.
Speaker 5: And the wife is more the Adventures of the two and convinced him to do so. My favorite thing is that when he went in submersible to go that Titanic. They were supposed to go together, and she, for some reason, something came up.
Speaker 3: She couldn't. So he's sitting in that thing.
Speaker 11: They bolt you in and they pushed it in the water, and then it just drops like a stone. It just drops for two and a half hours, two and a half It goes two and a half miles down, but that's all there is to it. It just drops like a stone. And I fell asleep. That's how unscared I was. I fell asleep on the way down. It was boring, and I woke up when we hit bottom. And so we hit bottom, and you know, they pull out the Xbox game controller that steers the ship, and we knew for some reason, we knew we were five hundred yards from the Titanic, but we couldn't see it. Here it is the biggest thing man had ever built, and we were right by it and couldn't find the thing. And everybody's springing into action, you know, both the crew and the paying customers. And I'm not doing anything.
Speaker 7: I'm just ballast.
Speaker 11: And so with twenty minutes to go, we found the Titanic and we we just had enough time to get all the glory shots we got. I got photos of the anchor and the bow of the ship and the side where it says Titanic, and then we had to go back up.
Speaker 5: You would sign a release that had death in there quite a few times, right, that said you could die quite a few times, I mean right.
Speaker 3: Or froot.
Speaker 11: You sign a waiver that mentions death three times on page one and you just page through it. And they thought of every way you can die on this thing.
Speaker 9: So anybody, you know, again, this is the news developed and narrative, which was totally unfair, and you know, like people had done what they were getting into.
Speaker 11: They everyone knew exactly what they were getting.
Speaker 5: Even if it was safe, the safest thing in the world.
Speaker 3: I'm not going down sitting in a tub with water. Yeah, you're sitting on the floor. You're sitting on the water. Yeah, I don't think so.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but Mike, there's no there's no bathroom on the thing, you know, bathroom.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the guy's got a game controller and you're sitting on top of right with water slashing right, and then you're waiting for two hours in darkness and you go, oh, there's the Titanic.
Speaker 4: But Mike's gone to North Korea, He's gone to Syria, He's gone to I mean, he's gone to every place where where the minute he opens his passport, they go.
Speaker 5: He goes to the most dangerous places in the world except certain parts. Yeah, well, because of the drones.
Speaker 1: We we've done a couple of museums, right, We had the Mafia Museum there in Las Vegas, and of course we had the Museum of Failure, which we learned about a lot of things that didn't pan out for Yeah.
Speaker 4: That one of my favorite episodes, by the way, because it's just such a great idea because everything in it. Every time he showed us something, we went, oh yeah, I mean it was just a washout.
Speaker 5: Memory Lane depends for women, and you go, why would a woman need a different pen?
Speaker 3: And why would both think to do that?
Speaker 5: Right that a guy's going to buy a big pen and he's got let me get one from my wife or she can't use this one.
Speaker 4: And flavors of soda that nobody wants. But what I loved about the Forgive Me. I can't remember the gentleman's name who is the curator of it, but but what the episode became about was how much success comes out of failure. There's really no such thing as failure. It's just a step on the way to something that's right.
Speaker 3: Are you?
Speaker 4: Are you aware of anything that began as a completely abject failure and was turned around to become a success. Is there anything that jumps out like that?
Speaker 9: There?
Speaker 14: There are the sort of examples that everybody knows about with the posted note and Viagra, which both were sort of unexpected successes. But but I mean I often get approached by both journalists and and and and the corporate side where they say, hey, we really want you to give a talk, or we want to come visit the museum or something, but we'd like to focus on the failures that lead to something successful, right, And I always resist that because I think, I think that's talking about failure within the narrative of success, and I think there's there's failure in and of itself even when it doesn't it. Success is interesting also and should also deserve some attention.
Speaker 3: That was doctor Samuel West. There you go.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he was great and great product, great products which you believe that big companies took a shot at.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and nobody saw that.
Speaker 5: Some are so obviously wrong but they did it anyway, and you figured I'd love to be in the discussion of why they did it, Yeah, because there must have been some reason, because they're smarter than us.
Speaker 4: And and also you always want to be that I always want to be with the moment where they go, Well, I think we got I think we got face facts. Boys didn't fan out quite the way we thought it might.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 1: And of course we've we've gotten into the substances that make us see the world a little a little bit different. Right, We've talked about microdosing, We've talked about psychedelics, we've talked about even cannabis. Right, we were rolling in cannabis literally and talking about some of the things that cannabis does that maybe we don't want it to do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that has become the cannabis issue.
Speaker 7: I know.
Speaker 4: I think, Peter, you told me the most pushback we got on any episode, it was the cannabis one, because you know, I would imagine we got pushed back on the psychedelics too, because the thesis of that episode became our guests said, look, anecdotal, Yes, there's a lot of positive results from people doing microdosing and using those kinds of hallucinogens and what not to for therapeuty therapy, for therapy, but scientifically.
Speaker 3: The evidence wasn't there.
Speaker 4: And then we had the woman on who is talking about scientific research into modern day cannabis and talking about how the use of it and the excitement about the use of it and the claims about what it can do are far ahead of what the actual science might support.
Speaker 5: And they finally could have touched They finally now have enough of a focus group to test it.
Speaker 4: And you know, we're not we try anyway to not be propagandists for anything on this on the show. We're just you know, here's a guest that has, you know, a viable an interesting point of view on this stuff.
Speaker 3: But that was the that was the biggest pushback, that.
Speaker 4: This thing that was an important part of their lives that is bringing them whatever it may be, whether it be emotional health.
Speaker 3: Or for the stuff.
Speaker 5: You should know, it's it's tough, but it was interesting. Was an interesting, very interesting.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, I will tell you because I know we have to Laurie's looking at us to wrap this up, so let me let me do this. Do you have after one hundred episodes a favorite episode for them. I will tell you because I know we have to. Laurie's looking at us to wrap this up, so let me let me do this. Do you have, after one hundred episodes, a favorite episode for the forgiveness?
Speaker 5: I think that episode just because it surprised me so much and it so organically became a wonderful episode that took it took me to a place and took I think you to a place that we didn't anticipate in how powerful forgiveness is for the person doing it and the person receiving it. And it sounds again just saying it. If you're listening, you said, oh, I forgiveness episode the Gentleman does forgiveness, dude was really special. It's like like mister Rogers. You get the same feeling that he's genuine, he's authentic, and that he's making a difference.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I'm so glad you said that because that was absolutely, without question.
Speaker 3: My favorite among many favorites.
Speaker 4: How do you make the argument for it being beneficial for the person doing the forgiving?
Speaker 3: What is what is the benefit?
Speaker 4: What does the person who is offering the forgiveness feel or experience that makes it doable?
Speaker 15: We're not saying, let's think about that. That's an important question. When people treat us deeply unjustly, what tends to happen is anger starts building in the hearts, and psychologists make a distinction between healthy anger and unhealthy anger. Healthy anger is when someone treats you unjustly. At first you say, look, I'm a person of worth, it's not fair. I'm offended, but you get over that quickly. Unhealthy anger is a very unwelcome guest in the human heart. The unhealthy anger comes into your heart, takes off his shoes, sits on the couch of your heart, and doesn't want to leave. And as you live with this unhealthy anger, which literally you could keep it for forty years, you tend to have lower energy. You tend to be disrupted in sleep. You tend to perhaps ruminate on the other and that person and all the bad stuff from that person is now living in your heart. That person has a lot of power over you. Think about it. That person might have been unfair to you forty years ago, and all the effects of that are still in your heart. What forgiveness does. Paradoxically, our science shows this. When you decide it's your free choice, to be good to those who aren't good to you. That anger in the heart starts chipping away, it starts going down, and then the anxiety, the depression, not even the not liking yourself can change and that person no longer has power over you.
Speaker 4: What I loved about that is how emotional you and I got during that show. He really was able to touch us in a very unexpected way, and it was what he had to say and when he had to offer was absolutely beautiful and presented so beautifully.
Speaker 5: And I'm proud to put it out there. It was an episode and.
Speaker 3: What I love about the show.
Speaker 4: Just to wrap this up, what I've really enjoyed about this, other than your company, which.
Speaker 3: Is always a joy, is.
Speaker 4: My favorite episodes are the ones where we go in with a bit of an attitude, right like the Wooly Mammoth guy that was gonna he's bringing back the Wooly Mammoth, and you and I and our prep went, oh, we're going to cut this guy in, who asked, what didn't you see Jurassic Park? This never goes well And the first thing out of our mouth is, why are you trying to bring back the Holy Mammoth? And he goes not trying to bring back the wily mammoth, I'm trying to save the elephant, and we go, excuse me that.
Speaker 3: And I'm dealing with climate climate treth, and.
Speaker 4: We get we you know, our silliness becomes oh oh, and it becomes a great learning episode.
Speaker 3: Thanks you for inviting.
Speaker 4: Me to this little soiree, and thank you David, and thanks Laurie and everybody that is a part of our team that makes it happen, because it has been truly a joyful experiment to do this.
Speaker 5: I've had a great task has and thank you. Thank you for breathing such a huge part of a majority. And again, getting to do something with your best friend, that's an additional thing.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 5: I always say, yeah, Jason and I do this, we play whatever. But being on a stage, we got to do something with you. Yeah, And Lauren knows this. Producer, Laura knows this. We were walking out of We're in HOWI Meant a studio, which is also fun, which is amazing because I've known how for a long time. So Laurie did a magical thing I produced. We're trying to figure out with your schedule, how we do this and Lauria said, why don't you do one day, one day a month, you just record a bunch so that we can do it that way. And that has become magical because we love the studio, we love the people that are here, we love we love to get to do this, the way that we get to do this, and the support that we get, so it's all been it's all been just a plus for me to get see people you love.
Speaker 4: The only really, the only thing that is missing for me is any kind of remuneration that isn't Deli sandwiches. If there was something that I could use as currency, maybe I can use it Deli Sandwiches.
Speaker 5: Are you having trouble after every episode taking home five hundred Dellly sandwiches?
Speaker 3: Is that what you're saying?
Speaker 5: They go right in the same bag with a yeah, right, Well, thank you and thank you for everybody who's helped us with the show out there watches and listen.
Speaker 3: Thank you for watching and listening.
Speaker 4: And we're going to keep going and uh look forward to bringing one hundred more.
Speaker 2: And as our one hundredth episode of Really No Really comes to a close, we wanted to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has listened and supported us, and let you know that we look forward to bringing you the next hundred episodes and more. As I say at the beginning of each show, if you are a listener, it would help our show immensely. If you would become a subscriber as well, just click the subscribe button. It's easy for you and a huge gift for us. As we go forward, you'll meet more and more celebrities sharing stories they've never told before, and we'll cover topics that make us scratch our heads, raise an eyebrow and ask the time honored question, really, no, really, We hope you will continue to join us for all of it, because if you enjoy listening to our show even half as much as we enjoy doing it, well, then apparently we're enjoying it.
Speaker 3: Twice as much as you. Really.
Speaker 5: I never you forget, but then again, I know as you get older you're forgetting a lot. So I, oh gosh, I gotta start something that you gotta start recording for you.
Speaker 4: Jason clown, isn't it the microphone? I can't see the screen. I can give you the thing Jason must have nixed the short.
Speaker 3: Mic I can give you the underlying attitude.
Speaker 4: I'll give you the attitude patches that said, really, no, really, if we can next, if we can face is now we're frown.
Speaker 3: I heard you say, oh sure, yeah, it's all me, all me. They don't know the real you. I'm the nixer mixer in the clown.
Speaker 6: Where is he?
Speaker 3: I'm having lunch.
Speaker 2: Brillian o'really is production of iHeartRadio and Bloise Entertainment.
Speaker 11: Mhm