Speaker 1: From UFOs to psychic powers and government conspiracies. History is riddled with unexplained events. You can turn back now or learn this stuff they don't want you to know. A production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hello, welcome back to the show. My name is Matt, my name is Noah.
Speaker 3: They call me Ben. We're joined as always with our super producer Dylan the Tennessee pal Fagan. Most importantly, you are you. You are here That makes this the stuff they don't want you to know. Previously, on Stuff they don't want you to know, in our weekly listener mail program, which informs a lot of our future episodes, we were contacted by our fellow conspiracy realist Uncle Benny. And guys, I don't know if we all remember this, but it was, uh, it was late July this year when Uncle Benny hipped us to one of the most bizarre UFO stories in modern history. With full disclosure, none of us have been to New Zealand, is that correct?
Speaker 4: No, but y'all have been practicing your Kiwi accents and I can't wait to hear your roll them out. And do you like the Michael Caine off of Kiwi accents?
Speaker 2: Well, I think it's gonna come out accidentally as we're saying like names.
Speaker 3: Accent is how we Yeah, I only just got the hang of narr as well? Or is that just exclusively ausy. I mean, it's a big country, It's true. I'm sure there's someone.
Speaker 4: A lot of sheep apparently a lot of yes, yes, a lot of works to watch.
Speaker 3: Out for them.
Speaker 2: Everything I know came from them. What we do in the Shadows, Out of the Concords tv SO.
Speaker 5: And Lord of the Rings come on, you're leaving out?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but like they didn't have New Zealand accents.
Speaker 5: It wasn't New Zealand is set in Atlanta.
Speaker 3: Right right, right, Although that would be great, give us your head cannon, give us your fandom of Lord of the Rings being New Zealand.
Speaker 2: A remake with accents us.
Speaker 3: Make entirely with accents, right we maybe some bits. We'll get to that and that's yeah, we'll chount for the beats. Uh So, levels, folks, levels, we're doing levels tonight. We also want to, of course, as we're affectionately describing here, we want to point out that we do not have anything other than painfully American accents. When we may mispronounce or cartoonishly pronounce a thing. It is for comedic value. It is with great respect to our friends in New Zealand, especially our friends on New Zealand's South Island.
Speaker 4: So that was a mouthful, man, I could feel it rolling around in there.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, like an anzac biscuit exactly.
Speaker 2: I'd love to do a quick shout out here to a TV show that I think we've mentioned once or twice before, because a lot of us know what we do in the shadows, A lot of us know the Concords right. Not many of us, I think, know about Wellington Paranormal.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, yes, yeah, yeah, yeah, fantastic show and fantastic in this episode, we're headed to Wellington. We're headed to Wellington. We also want to shout out our good friends at Hanti Donna and can I also shout out a podcast that is kind of nerd culture stuff from some lovely dudes called The Weekly Planet, and they seem to be friends with the Aunty Donna guys.
Speaker 4: So if you like their shenanigans and you're into nerd culture stuff, highly recommend the Weekly Planet podcast.
Speaker 3: And to be clear, our friends at Auntie Donna are Australian. Will get into this. But let us shinan together, folks. Tonight's episode takes us on a journey through time and earthly space to the final days of December nineteen seventy eight on New Zealand's South Island. We're gonna pause for a word from our sponsors. Here are the facts. Let's start by kicking some geography. Okay, So, since not everybody has a world map directly behind their monitor or directly in front of them while they're listening, New Zealand is not Australia. New Zealand is very close to Australia. It's often been called the Canada of Australia. And by often called, we mean specifically by us on this show.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, god, okay, who's saying that fighting words always have a specific source?
Speaker 2: Yes? But also it is pretty far away. There's a whole sea in between, right, And it's not like the Black Sea or some of the smaller seas out there. This is at it's pretty much ocean, y'all. But but it is close, right, But it's but it's not so close that you can just take a quick flight over the way you can, you know, in the UK and to a lot of other places in Europe.
Speaker 4: It's right remote, right, I mean it's it certainly still feels that way, at least looking at it on the map.
Speaker 3: It has an outsized global impression on culture. It's also most famous for a lot of non Aussi conspiracy realist or non Kiwi conspiracy realist by being a place where the world's current billionaires are bunkering up. And so you may hear it mentioned often in that reg guard in shows of a similar milieu.
Speaker 2: And when you're looking at this place from above right to the southeast of mainland Australia, there you're going to see two primary large islands. Essentially, I'm thinking a little bit of a comparison to Japan with the way it's set up there perhaps, And we are talking, as you said, Ben, about the south of those two islands.
Speaker 3: Yeah, by far the largest of the two islands. In fact, the South Island is technically the twelfth largest island on the planet. And if you're looking at the map overhead right you're getting sat NAV or something. This may not look Titanic from your perspective, but it's important to remember it's a big place and for most of human history it was very sparsely populated, but it's home to stunning geography and natural wonders. True story, folks, the South Island is home to something called the Southern Alps. That's how amazing the mountains are. That's why to your earlier point. Now they filmed Lord of the Rings there lush, you can get it.
Speaker 2: You can get a bit of a sense of it from the map. But like of that mountain range, but it is not. It doesn't look like that. It looks like Lord of the Rings.
Speaker 3: Yeah, especially because of the plains surrounding the mountains. That that's why it becomes so majestic. Our story tonight takes place in a curious area called the Kaikoura Mountain Ranges.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: This is spelled k a I k o u r A. Again, we're not doing the accents unless it's for comedy. Uh. And it's These mountains are named after a small coastal town also called Kaikoura. Uh. It's an interesting thing because the ranges here, the Paikoura Ranges, are two parallel groups of mountains and they're in the northeast of the South Island.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 3: They are so big because they're surrounded by plains. Right and rolling hills. They're so big that you can see them from the south of the smaller, much more populous North Island. And here we have a cameo from our pow James Cook. Captain James Cook. Excuse me who originally when he was one of the Captain Cook the yes of the of the Captain Cook famu to be confused with James Kirk. This is different. This is right explorer and not to be confused with Jesse Pinkman from Breaking Bad, which I just rewatched. I was watching it last night too.
Speaker 4: Was the episode where they're kind of weighing whether or not to execute that that crazy.
Speaker 3: Spoilers. I didn't say whether they did. Internet guys, we've said it in the past, just twenty years old at this point that I think we've reached.
Speaker 5: The statute of limitations on okay, well the Internet.
Speaker 3: Here's the thing, we've discussed it on the show in the past. Breaking Bad is essentially car stuff but with meth hmmm, got to get that pseudo getting that pseudo, Sorry, Captain, I'm sorry. He puts the chili pee.
Speaker 5: In the in the yes, Breaking Bad coded right.
Speaker 3: Now, So this has uh these pop culture references are hopefully valuable to someone and thank you for tuning in the The The thing is, the ranges themselves are still pretty rural. As of some of the most up to date information from the New New Zealand Census, there are a little less than two thousand people living there day to day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, crazy, and these ranges are really important. Not many people there. There are two towns that we have to focus in on, Wellington and christ Church. Wellington is on the very southern tip of that the more northern island, the smaller island, a heavily populated place, lots of air traffic control going on there, lots of radar, lots of checking out what's going on.
Speaker 4: And you may recognize the name christ Church, which the same way that I did. It was the site of a really awful terrorist attack back in twenty nineteen at two mosques and it was a huge deal because it was a horrible situation, but also just things like that just don't happen there and it's such a you know, rural very like you said, kind of what's the word adyllic kind of you know place part of the world that it was just really shock.
Speaker 3: To hear about something like that coming. But we're talking about two big cities. So christ Church has a population of over three hundred and fifty thousand or so, and that makes it the third largest city in the country. Uh. The first one is Auckland and the second is as we mentioned, Wellington. They have a lot of toys that are going to be important for tonight's exploration exactly.
Speaker 2: And because they have a lot of toys and they're on that more populous island up there in the north, there are regular standard flights, huge cargo plains that travel from Wellington with a bunch of stuff to christ Church and they land and then they turn around and they go back to Wellington and Kaikura. This mountain range we're talking about is kind of smack dab in between these two christ Church by the way, on that southern island past Kaikoura.
Speaker 3: In the mount you have to traverse the mountains right, yes, you have to find the mountain pass.
Speaker 2: Or essentially go right over the ocean there right next to them.
Speaker 3: Or skirt skirt. Yeah. So the issue here is that most locals, most New Zealand nationals know of these mountains to one degree or another, but they gain national attention on. You know, I was thinking of the way to say it. Kaikora Mountain Ranges. For a lot of people pre nineteen seventy eight in New Zealand, they were like the Grand Canyon in the United States. They were a wonder you knew about. Right. You might know about the Adirondacks, but you never visit, right because maybe I haven't at the time.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the chairs are mega uncomfortable, right, they're.
Speaker 3: No AAMS chairs. I agree. It's late in the evening, about eleven pm local time on December twentieth, nineteen seventy eight, when a guy named Ian Ulfindel of the New Zealand RAF Royal Air Force reports unusual lights in the sky and he says, I can do the voice. He says, three objects. There's one big one and there are two smaller things like orbes well lighty boys, and they're making controlled movement and they're flying in some sort of pattern together.
Speaker 4: And this immediately, you know, has credence to it the way like the tic Tac stories did, because of who it's coming from. It's not just some like crackpot, you know, stargazing and seeing some weird and they're telescope. It's like someone who is used to monitoring these types of situations and is absolutely qualified to say this is a little.
Speaker 3: Weird, right, yeah, yeah, and he adds they're not aircraft.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, at least they don't seem like it, right. And the craziest thing is that the person he's talking to when he is reporting this stuff is the person who's manning the radar, and that person is also seeing stuff out there. So it's not like some of those UFO sightings that we've heard about in the past, where hey, we're not getting anything on radar, but there are weird lights. There's something physically out there.
Speaker 3: It's pinging on the radar. And this is when we fast forward to the part of the lore that may be most familiar, or the origin story that's most familiar to ufologists. It's December twenty, first wee hours, nineteen seventy eight. A small crew is flying cargo plane in Argacy, this type of plane and the company they're flying for is called Safe Air Limited. Weirdly enough, they're delivering creates of newspapers and they're flying and they start clocking strange objects that seem to be bird dogging their craft, and they say, you can hear the clips from the and the crew themselves where they're saying, look, this is they're calling atc air Traffic Control and they're saying, look, these there are things around us, these strange orbs in the sky. They're not uniform in size. One is as large as a house, and they are tracking us, and then they're disappearing, and then they're inexplicably appearing somewhere else minutes later, and they're saying, these are blowing red or orange orbs. Some of them are pulsing like white beacons. And it kind of goes back to what you were saying there earlier, NOL. It's oddly not that unusual for isolated groups of people, even aviation experts, to witness aerial phenomena they can't immediately explain.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it is pretty striking that this is all occurring on the same night. All of this is happening. So we've got an officer at a base seeing something that he thinks are just planes. Oh wait, those aren't just planes, but they are on radar. And then you've got actual human beings in a flight over these mountains seeing the stuff. Pretty nuts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's one of the primary reasons so there are three big reasons why the Kaikora lights are different from most reports. First, as you said, Matt, they're clocked by air traffic Control, they're out of Wellington. The argasy crew naturally calls in the event and ATC is able to confirm something is there, which means something was material enough to ping on a radar. They show up on the aircraft radar as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you also have all of these human beings who saw all this stuff later gave interviews where they said directly into a camera and microphone exactly what they saw. So Ian Uffindel, John Cordy, the guy who was in the radar control room, they're in Wellington.
Speaker 3: Sure they're pilots, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Vern Powell and Ian Pierre Peiri, I think is how you say his name. They all will talk about it openly. It's not like this thing that everybody's nervous about, because we've seen that before as well, right with UFO reports. People are nervous to talk about it, or they feel as though they might be shunned or looked at differently for seeing something like this and then saying it out loud. We don't see that happening with this case, we don't see a lot of the telltale things that make more skeptically minded of us think, oh, well, this is probably a hoax, or this isn't real, or you know, the way those people are talking, it doesn't seem right. We're not seeing that here.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And the second of these three things is that these lights eventually are cited by hundreds of other people, not on the specific planes. And we're using the word planes as a plural on purpose because the third big thing that differentiates this event is that it is a series of events. There are multiple instances of these lights being observed over the next few days, with all of the doodads we just mentioned, so.
Speaker 2: Maybe we get into film cameras.
Speaker 3: The second most famous sighting, which is December thirtieth, same year. Just a few days later, it's almost nineteen seventy nine, there's an Australian television crew recording a similar event, also a board of cargo aircraft. This one is flying between you guessed it, folks, Wellington and christ Church. This is where we introduce a three person team, reporter Quentin Fogerty, a cameraman named David Crockett, and Nigher Crockett. The audio tech who is also David Crockett's wife. They are literally on the plane because get this, they're shooting b roll for a TV show about the earlier sightings, and lo and behold, they witness their own Kaikora lights at the time. This time they're able to film on sixty millimeter from the plane in color and this is again confirmed by Wellington Air Traffic Control. It's being observed by numerous witnesses. Do we want to play a clip of Fogerty talking about this. I've been on the edge of my seat waiting for it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we have several clips here, and let's go ahead and cite the source. We found these on a YouTube channel called Marlborough Video Vault. The video is titled the Kaikora UFOs Dash nineteen seventy eight and at least according to attribution on the description there, it was written and produced by Paul Davidson. So thank you Paul for doing this. The actual clips here are from nineteen seventy eight, there in late December, and this is nuts. So this first one we're just going to hear from Quentin Fogerty, who is there. I've seen him cited as being a Channel zero or Channel O Reporter, but also for TV one also News at six, so.
Speaker 3: Change their name a couple times over the decades as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So, to my understanding, it was recorded as part of a television news broadcast after they had heard of this original sighting.
Speaker 3: Yer twenty first is the one the public knew about. Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The producer there, Leonard Lee, got got permission to go up on one of these flights, on one of these Argacy flights. So let's jump to this. This is Quentin Fogerty, just during the initial trip, describing what they're seeing through the windows of the Argusy cockpit. Oh, this is one of the pieces of information we need to know. This is a cargo plane, so it's not like maybe a plane you've flown in where you've got windows all down the sides and stuff. This is imagine just a big metal tube and then you can see out the front of it.
Speaker 3: Does that make sense, Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: So everything they're seeing is the cockpit through the windows that the pilots are using to fly the plane in real time. Yes, So here we go.
Speaker 6: The very first thing we saw was these sort of falls of light that would just appear in the sky, and I mean it was really just looking through small windows at a very very black sky and seeing pulsating lights that started usually as a very very small pinprick of light and then would go into like a great globe of light.
Speaker 3: Now, that's the so we originally said, the real time report. That is Fogerty looking back and recalling in an interview where a documentary we saw. But if you check out this thing, which is freely available any anywhere you want to look online, you will see the lights that he is describing, and he appears to be describing those with accuracy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can hear kind of in the moment him describing it, but it's just not as eloquent. It's just, you know, he as even states in those later interviews, he's kind of he's a bit flum mixed experiencing this whole thing and just trying to describe it in real time there, but he's just not doing a great job. There are several pieces of that you can here though, mm hmm.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And here's the kicker, folks, here's the badger in the bag. They land the plane and we'll get into more of this as we continue. They land the plane, and in this instance, one of the objects, these inexplicable orbs, appears to follow the plane right up until it lands. And when they land, their camera guy is reloading his film right, he's getting better film stock. We're working live. The plane takes off once more and now it's followed by a quote orb like object for another fifteen minutes, also caught on film.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, and we have one more clip. You don't mind, guys, of that moment, because this is one of the actual film clips from nineteen seventy eight. It's the moment that they're in the radar room in christ Church and they're getting word from Wellington that the lights are still out there. And in this moment, you have to imagine what's going through the minds of you know, these pilots and this film crew in this moment, they are kind of terrified because of this thing. We have to mention here that happened very recently to the moment. This is happening in December nineteen seventy eight. What happened to Frederick Valentich in October of nineteen seventy eight, And this has happened in Australia, so not very far from them. As we said, where a pilot. There's a lot of scuttle but a lot of rumors about this pilot that radioed in that he was seeing something that was metal and not an aircraft right before he disappeared. So these pilots were aware of this, This news crew was aware of this, and now they're up there seeing these lights and interacting with them. They imagined that perhaps they might meet the same fate that Frederick met right just disappearing plane and all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, nineteen seventy eight. Checkout our episode from twenty twenty three, the disappearance of Frederick Valentich.
Speaker 2: Absolutely absolutely so. Here is a quick clip of that moment right before they took off for the second time.
Speaker 8: We're now on the radar room at christ Church Airport. It's about quarter to two, and in about another twenty minutes we intend to take off again in the agacy and retrace the route we took only a few moments earlier. We've just heard from Wellington Radar that there are still targets in the kai Kura area, So this time we're hoping to get at a film than we did last time. And all I can say is we'll see what happens.
Speaker 2: There we go and so you can almost hear the nerves there and it was such a heroing experience that the sound record is Gary Krockett, the wife of David Krogett, the cameraon chose not to go back on the return flight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and again they're a freelance team, uh, not expecting this double tap. These are b roll They're there for b roll in interviews, you know, in situ in the moment. So we've got to applaud crocket there for being for being the person who said, look, I'm here in a professional capacity and I don't want to be one of those suckers in the first act of a possible horror film, you know what I mean?
Speaker 5: Can we also just acknowledge that it's badass that his name is Davy Crockett.
Speaker 3: I just can't. Sorry, Well, I think we were all working it more impressive to us. Maybe maybe probably he was a little sick of hearing about it.
Speaker 2: Dave noted that there's some weird stuff when they got off the plane the first time, where he states that the exterior the exterior of the plane seemed to be magnetized or energized in some way, and like he it just felt weird.
Speaker 3: He says this after the fact.
Speaker 2: He does say it out after the fact, but he says he noted getting out of the plane and even was talking to his spouse at the time about how weird even the plane felt after experiencing that stuff.
Speaker 3: Right, was something too close to the craft. So from here, the case Garner's international attention and the December thirtieth incident is really responding to a spate of multiple instances that have been reported on some level from the twenty first to the thirtieth. The authorities feel they have to respond, and so the local police, the Carter Observatory out in Wellington again, the town with all the toys, the Royal New Zealand Air Force, the Ministry of Defense. It's like our Department of Defense here, or excuse me, kaugh cough, Department of War cough cough. And so they all get involved. And then this is in addition to scads of amit to our ufologists, established scientific experts with a lot of bona fides and related fields. The New Zealand Air Force literally puts a Skyhawk on standby in case we need somebody to scoop scoop for further sightings and half a world away, our friends at the company are analyzing later reports from a Lackey P three Orion, a real spoopy doop ship that was sent to monitor the area. Those two things, the Skyhawk and the Ariot, those occur away from the public eye. And right now as we're recording these lights, whatever they may be, they get sighted or reported every now and again in the year sense, often toward the end of the year, with sub reports being as recent as twenty to fifty makes you wonder makes first question would be, is this due to a recurrent meteorological condition, right that happens around that time of year, or something like.
Speaker 4: That ghost lights type situation or like swamp gas not that, but like that, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean this news report went out to the public, so people got to see the actual filmed footage of UFOs in nineteen seventy eight above this area. So you have to imagine that's increasing traffic maybe to look for things, more eyes on the skies as it were.
Speaker 3: It's it's priming interest.
Speaker 5: It's priming interest, but it could also be priming perception.
Speaker 4: You know, there could be same thing, right, right, And it also reminds me of the drone situation where we had a Jersey I believe, where there were drones sighted and these weird lights sighted and it was determined to be like an array of drones or whatever. But by virtue of all the reporting, more amateur dronists got their drones out there and just added to the situation, therefore upping the number of people citing them.
Speaker 3: It's just like kind of a self feeding system. Yes, it's a social dynamic. It's related to It's actually one of the primary reasons law enforcement never likes to say a serial murderer unless it's unavoidable. So we have a mystery afoot here or a sky if you like, dude, awesome, that worked out. We can keep that part that So there's While there has been to date new material evidence recovered or at least publicly disclosed, this case checks all of the other boxes for a good UFO instance. We have multiple occurrences, we have a contained region, we have multiple witnesses, some of whom are aviation or radar experts. We have electronic confirmation, you name it. We've got everything but the physical evidence. And so it must be no surprise that almost half a century after that initial December twentieth, nineteen seventy eight clocking. People around the world are still asking, what on or off earth happened? Can we explain that Kaikora lights?
Speaker 5: Maybe we'll try, after I ward from my sponsor.
Speaker 3: Here's where it gets crazy. I thought it was already crazy. Ben thought it's been crazy this whole time.
Speaker 8: Just now.
Speaker 3: It's where we get to the explanation. Fair for uphold, and so often the well we have a soul to uphold. So often the uh, the conspiracies are found in the attempts to cover up things, right, not the original act. So uh yeah, it depends upon whom you ask. If we want to be technical, we'll get to the official conclusions and why experts still question those, But maybe we spend some more time on the primary source information about the sightings. The first person to visibly clock those lights, Yeah, that would be Bill Startup. That's his name.
Speaker 4: That's his name, Bill started We got Davy Crockett and Bill start old Billy Startup. But he was not a tech bro. In fact, when Bill and the crew first reported the lights, he was at a loss for what this thing might be. He did not have words to describe it. So he was left a bit flummoxed, much like the fellow in that clip we heard, and so he said, what it was?
Speaker 3: We do not know? That's all I wish I knew.
Speaker 2: He's one of the pilots, along with Bob guard right, who.
Speaker 3: Was in the clip though, Matt, did we hear from this guy?
Speaker 6: We have not heard of.
Speaker 3: We haven't heard from Bill startup? Bill Bill startups. The pilot who has to who has to call this in and it has to say, as you as you do, Oh, what it was? We don't know?
Speaker 5: I had to say, we do not know.
Speaker 3: It's so intense. I wish I do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, yeah, it's so interesting to see those guys in interviews after a long time and recalling it and just saying, dang, I really wish we knew what the heck that was, Like, yeah, that would be awesome if we knew what that was.
Speaker 3: They're not pissed, they're professionals. They're not wing nuts. They are people trying to do their job. And when you're doing when you are working in aviation, your least favorite thing is an unanswered question. That's that's the issue, because if you know what a problem is, if you can identify what's happening. Then you you are on third base to the home run of figuring out how to fix it right. But if it's inexplicable, then you don't know which questions to begin asking. So let's go to John Cordy briefly mentioned earlier. This is the radio operator out of Wellington on the first night of the sightings, and he had a bit of humor about the strange event because atc guys are so cool man, so stressed out, but you gotta let stress roll off your back like water off a duck. So this guy says, we saw some little targets on a radar just Dowt off of Blenheim. Part of my pronunciation Cape Campbell Way. And we joked there was Father Christmas having a practice run with Rudolph in the front because it was just before Christmas. And I was like, oh, come on, man, you're cool. I was that always does this.
Speaker 5: Live updates, stand up there having a laugh, Give.
Speaker 3: Me a break, it's amazing. He continues in a more serious tone too, after he does the Father Christmas bit, which again, nice one, John, He says, this target then moved toward the argacy. Let's remember that's our cargo plane carrying the newspaper crates. The target quote turned with it. The argacy then quote tracked it with it for a good twenty to thirty min files. The target and the aircraft were at ninety degrees to each other the whole time, and Vern Powell's aircraft said that they could see a big red light that was definitely airborne, and we got to hit that factor real quick. There was another aircraft that was close enough to observe this as well. So now we don't just have one group of people in the skies. We have two planes in the sky.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Vern Powell and Ian Peiri, they were the first plane that saw this. Those are the fellows right that were actually hanging out with John Cordy in the very beginning, having that communication. Then those other two officers startup and guard. They are pilots. When the news crew went up on the thirtieth and.
Speaker 3: I think we have another quote da ling. Yeah, fast forward to the thirtieth. We mentioned that TV crew on the plane. We mentioned one of them, the journalists, Quentin Fogerty, and he is like everybody else on the craft, he is watching in alle bewilderment and no small degree of helplessness as these lights are. And I keep using this term, guys, it's just perfect for it. The lights are bird dogging their craft like Foo fighters in World War Two. Totally.
Speaker 5: And we do have a quote from Fogerty where he says the word pin pricks.
Speaker 4: I think again, And I'm sorry, guys if I didn't clock the audio of that, because that, to me is the classic test of a Kiwi accent. But here he says on the flight down, I'm not going to do the voice as well. What we basically saw were pin pricks of light that turned into great globes of light. We did hear him talking about globes of light earlier, and they were airborne and they were between us and the coast because we could see the coast and we could see the sea and we could see these things shining down. There's a lot of seas there.
Speaker 3: And then we have another sound clip we'd like to play from you from again to some of the footage we were referencing earlier.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can find this on the Kai Kora UFOs Dash in nineteen seventy eight, written and produced by Paul Davidson. Find it on YouTube. Here is a clip of these fellows. I think it's a couple of different people describing what they were seeing on that return flight from christ Church to Wellington.
Speaker 7: They were brilliant white, silvery white starbus.
Speaker 1: Was unusual that they were going vertically up and down at a rate that, in my view, precluded.
Speaker 3: Them from being any thing that I've known about, like helicopters already.
Speaker 7: I'm now looking over towards the right of the aircraft and we have an object inferred by Weddings Breda. It's been following us quite a while. It's about four miles away and it looks like the very faith start. But then it's a very bright, white, brillant light.
Speaker 6: I said, this is just a little bit fine.
Speaker 2: Then there we go.
Speaker 3: Mmm. Yeah. So again we're hearing different instances of people reporting very similar experiences.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the first voice you heard was Bob Guard, who's one of the pilots on that flight. And then you hear Quentin Fogerty replying with exactly what he's seeing doing the reporter in situ thing.
Speaker 3: And so now we have people with firsthand experience speaking with specific knowledge and specific description of what they witnessed. The witnesses here all report seeing similar things. They're not changing or really embellishing their stories, and it doesn't sound like they had time to work together right and hatch some sort of universal narrative. They all are saying there are large, brightly lit things that are moving to high speeds, that are making sudden turns which would be impossible for physical human made craft at the time type stuff.
Speaker 4: They're behaving in ways that science cannot fully explain. The speed with which they go from the water to the air, and then this, you know, the speed, the way they're maneuvering exactly.
Speaker 3: Where they appear to and they're explained from their perspective rights.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it should be noted that many of the witnesses saw one larger bright light and then several at least two smaller lights. Yes, that were they're seeing at the same time, and those three lights would come together, and sometimes they would shoot off into different directions and then return back together.
Speaker 3: Very strange.
Speaker 4: That's like that's close encounters type vibes, or like that's the way we've seen UFOs depict.
Speaker 3: I think there was an episode of The X Files too, where there were those kids that were.
Speaker 4: Kind of spying on the site where there were these like spinny light things kind of moving around, and then.
Speaker 3: I forget exactly how that episode went. But well, the idea too is we're telling you the most consistent stuff. So the number does change based on the eyewitness accounts. We're not even counting the hundreds of folks on the ground who confirm sightings multiple sites around the same time. It's definitely not counting the count I can't believe here with that. It's not counting the countless other folks, including experts who later analyze the film footage from the plane from the ground, especially after so many people are primed to expect this right, are turning their eyes to the night sky and wondering if they two, we'll see something incomprehensible. So, riddle, is this, what do the authorities say after it gets after it gets past a certain threshold of attention, you as the government do have to make some kind of response, even if you just say, nah, it's a windy house, no ghost here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you saw what your eyes thought were UFO, but really it was an illusion.
Speaker 3: Michael David blamed them, Yeah, David blained and David blamed them because the Ministry of Defense publicly initially said, Hey, these sightings are merely optical illusions, perhaps the result of atmospheric phenomena. How many of you are meteorologists, bump bump up. But witnesses who are involved, especially our primary aviators, are protagonists to the story. They're not having it. They feel if we're being honest, they feel there's an attempt at gaslighting, and they're professionally offended. Yes they should be.
Speaker 2: Well, somebody came over and said, you've forgotten about the radar You.
Speaker 3: Exactly exactly, I mean Startup in particular, just for that, I just love the name. Startup in Particular went on record, and you can hear him. We're jumping around time a little bit, but you can hear him listening out various proposed explanations. He's like, Oh, they said it was v they said it was Jupiter, they said it was harbor lights or squid boats. But I saw these lights doing like one hundred and forty knots, and harbor lights don't do that. Usually they're stationary if they're built the way they're supposed to be built.
Speaker 2: Oh, you know, and that explanation in particular, calling out other planetary bodies. That's something that came into play with Frederick Valentich over in Australia. The primary explanations of that early on were that he got really confused when he saw some of the planet lights. He thought they were following him, and then he put his plane into basically a downward spiral as he's watching these lights that are now reflected off the ocean. But you know, come on, that just seems I mean, I get it that people are looking in this instance, the mod Ministry, defense, whoever that's looking at this stuff is trying to find an explanation that makes right. It doesn't have to be anything weird, guys, it could be this, but it just seems so insulting to anybody who can fly a plane like that, right.
Speaker 3: Right, and again, if you listen to our episode on Valentich, you will see similar proposed explanations for what occurred in that tragedy. His body has yet to be recovered, by the way, here in twenty twenty five as we record.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I'm saying. It was the exact same explanations given just a couple of months before this thing went down.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and the idea here is battle of narratives. Perhaps again, please do check out that episode on Valentich. I agreed, there's an eerie parallel which makes us worth a re listen. We also know that, as we're going to learn after our break here, the official initial conclusion of the Ministry of Defense was not entirely true, very Emily Dickinson style, tell the truth, but tell it slants, because you see, the whole time they were saying this to the public, New Zealand and a few other groups, few other friend groups were intensely interested in figuring out what the heck was going on, and so away from the press, they launched that inquiry we mentioned earlier. We'll take a break for a word from our sponsors and tell you what they found. We're back first theories, squid votes, all right, just the bubble here real quick, because I don't know about you guys. I was really excited in the very downtrodden when I learned that they did not mean squids piloting squid made craft. I know I was thinking that too. It was a fun image. Though that's a cool We always have that moment where we thought we will always have that moment. Well, squid boats are cool, though sure, yeah, yeah, yeah, they're a big part of the maritime economy. There's that Oh my gosh, we're trying to be cool dads, all right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, let's talk about why they thought maybe that was it. Yeah, squid boats use big old lights shining down into the water to try and attract squid. So you can imagine that if there's some kind of reflection in glass. If there's some that's usually one of the proposals. Right, The pilot sees light that's actually on the water reflecting off their glass, and it appears to be moving around if the plane changes course in any way, it's like, oh wow, it's moving across my screen.
Speaker 3: There, or reflecting off cloud cover. M you know what I mean. This is the thing I do with with my cats. You know, you take a shiny mirror or reflect light and they chase the image of the light the way they chase a red dot or something like that. So the explanation is similar there, and we can see why that would be offensive to some professional aviators and the other thing. Okay, so this inquiry doesn't end in a specific, ironclad conclusion. It ends in something like a pitch meeting. So they say, oh, you don't like the squid boat explanation, Well, what about this? What if they're like unburned meteors.
Speaker 2: Ah, now we're getting somewhere, because that would clock radar, right, unlike the squid boat reflection. We don't get radar from that. Okay. And there was a meteor shower around that time in that area.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, okay, sure, big swing. Getting closer as far as explanations go. And then they said something, you know, very similar to the squid boat idea. They said, this could have been lights from trains or other earthly vehicles, atmospheric shenanigans, cloud physics. You guys know about planes. About how much do you know about astrophysics?
Speaker 2: Huh, cold, cold, they are right.
Speaker 3: And then they said, or what if it was light from planets like Venus and Jupiter. And at this point the pilots are going, I hate you guys. Why are you like this?
Speaker 2: Why aren't you do this? Can it just be we saw something crazy that we don't know about yet?
Speaker 3: Yeah, right exactly, which would be the Okham's razor of it. Governmental institutions generally do not like admitting they cannot explain a thing, right, So by this point there's the mass of the public. The Hoi polloi right, the vox popular. The Kaikoro lights have become a cultural phenomenon. So from the eighteen nineteen eighties, sorry I'm dating myself the nineteen eighties to now, even the most skeptical of locals in Kiwi communities will occasionally look up into the night sky around December and they'll say, hey, maybe it'll happen again, Maybe I'll see some UFOs visit at the end of the earthly year. Before we go, though, we do have to give a shout out to, of course, various researchers who have analyzed the footage. Countless people have done this. You can see it all over the internet. One of the most prominent is a moufon guy scientist named doctor Bruce mccabee.
Speaker 4: That's right, doctor Bruce maccabee, American scientists and ufologist with an MS and PhD in physics. Got some bona fides there, who's also just you know, as a little bonus an optical data processing expert.
Speaker 3: He concluded that the footage had.
Speaker 4: Captured the images and movements of the genuine article UFO.
Speaker 3: H yeah, and we've got quotes from him you can again read these or see them in various documentaries. He notes some of the same stuff we're saying that a big differentiator here is that radar plays a role in these sightings, So unlike a lot, here's what you get. Often you will often get UFO reports that are radar only right, so there's an ATC somewhere, or there's a totally legitimate thing abroad for some reason that gets a little pupupew on its radar and there's no eyewitness accounts because it happens in a place where people don't usually hang out.
Speaker 2: Yes, and you know who has really good radar technology, militaries, So it's often a military that goes, hey, what the heck is that over there, as in the instance in nineteen fifty three with Felix Monclaw where there was a radar blip in an area where there shouldn't be a radar blip because it's controlled airspace. So you send out a pilot to go check out what's going on, and in Felix's case, he and his plane disappeared. But that's beside the point. The whole point is the radar sightings occur a crazy number of times that we will never hear about.
Speaker 3: Right, because they're internal and there as a result, they're something that would maybe not be helpful to report to the public because in doing so, you're revealing your surveillance capability, your collection methods, all your fun stuff. Going back to maccabee, the next thing he reports is that it is more interesting to see. So we've got two things, right. Our only identification often internal for governments, and we've got visual only identification, often associated with civilians or non aviation experts. And when they are reporting something, there's often not a lot of instrumentation. We're not dismissing, we're just saying there's often not a lot of instrumentation that would confirm what they were saying happened at that time. So this means that we've got a golden goose here. We've got a ven diagram of a radar visual case. Witnesses are reporting something going in the same direction, obeying the same dynamics, the same trajectory and path as a target identified or a thing identified on radar. This is winning the lottery twice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, because that's why this one is so exciting. So then you've got this amazing person, Macabe who's looking at the film footage that this camera person, Davy Crockett, Dave he saw and filmed again with a handheld film camera in a cockpit that's you know, in an airplane that's in flight. And if you're serious, like a sixteen millimeters yes, insane, So imagine the heft and weight of this huge film canister above the lens.
Speaker 3: And he's.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, and he's leaning over people and through instrumentation to try and get footage. And when you look at the footage, it looks like that what you're imagining, crazy jumpy. Uh, you do see objects as he's trying to get focus in the black sky with a tiny little thing.
Speaker 4: When you're bouncing around like that and you're filming items that are way off in the horizon, you're gonna get all kinds of.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So that's why it's massively important and incredible that we have the words here of mister maccabee, who is a specialist in checking out that kind of stuf. Knowing, Okay, is the is that a lensing effect, is that the movement of the camera, Is that the actual shape of the object or is it out of focus? He's he's looking at all of this stuff. And he continues with a quote saying.
Speaker 4: These New Zealand sightings may be the most quote unquote instrumented. What's unpack that in civilian ufology with multiple witnesses, two independent tape recordings made during the sightings, color movie film, and ground and air radar instrue.
Speaker 5: I guess he's just referring to like.
Speaker 4: All of the cross check kind of like you know, parallels and and verifiable data points.
Speaker 3: Objective non qualitative confirmation that.
Speaker 4: Line up, and that there's like a timeline that can be confirmed for that is a big doub I'm shocked, guys that I'd not heard of this outside of this discussion.
Speaker 3: This is seems like it would be a bigger deal that, Yeah, the radar has has one opinion, yes this is here or no this is not. It's not going to give you some sort of laborious interview process about how it felt when a clock to a thing going from a to his head exactly exactly.
Speaker 4: And frankly, I mean the reports from these guys are pretty dispassionate too.
Speaker 3: We're not seeing a.
Speaker 5: Whole lot of like hyperbolic kind of talk.
Speaker 4: They seem real, steadfast, and they're you know, reporting their observations.
Speaker 3: You got to keep it together, ye crying. Crying is for when you land.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, and you see a real desire to know what the heck happened. In later interviews, several of the pilots were approached by Maccabee with you know, his findings after he analyzed the footage, and these pilots had given initial estimates of like how large they think the object is in the moment, how far away they think it is, and how fast it's traveling. One of the pilots comes forward and says, Maccabee told him that the object was around five miles away from your plane and it was probably as big as a two story building. After he's analyzed the optics, which again you have to take an expert's you know, viewpoint and say, Okay, that expert knows what they're talking about, knows what they're seeing. You also are taking into account the pilot's you know, vision and their estimates based on knowledge and wisdom. But at the same time it does make you realize, in the moment, when a human being, any of us, is experiencing something like this, we're trusting our eyes and our ears and all of our senses, but they may be a little off right, and you may also remember it a little off. But having a piece of footage and that radar like that let somebody even out of space and time observe it and say, oh my god, I think it was this because of you know, X, Y and Z.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And we also, as we mentioned with his bona fides, doctor mccabee is a as a career long member and champion and move on. So that might put some folks in the crowd automatically off, but we can tell you his findings. And he wrote a ton of stuff, by the way, not just about this but about other dodgy cases of UFO observations. And he was publicly ignored by the government of New Zealand. So you could say, hey, this is a cultural moment like Mothman out in Point Pleasant, West Virginia. You could say that, except that in twenty ten, the New Zealand military released a treasure their own Project Blue Book, really a treasure trove of previously classified reports that dated from two thousand and nine all the way back to nineteen fifty four, which means it naturally includes the Kakolites, and was released due to the Official Records Act, which is sort of the New Zealand version of FOYIA, the Freedom of Information Act. It's heavily redacted. Everybody got a deal on black highlighters right when they made these laws, so that you won't see a lot of specific names or other sensitive material. But we're talking two thousand pages of documents, most of which involves weird stuff in the sky, weird lights of the sky. And we found a we found a funny moment from from just prior to the release of this from the Royal Air Force themselves, and they were trying to get in front of it so hard we can we do the quote.
Speaker 2: Air Force Squadron leader Cave Tamriiki said the Defense Force did not have the resources to investigate UFO sightings and would not be commenting on the files contents.
Speaker 3: Mike, come on, come on, I hate when people do that, right Like, Hey, I'm gonna tell you something and that's it and no more questions. So speaking to the dominion Post, Tamriki notes, quote, this is understandable, all right, I'm being a jerk. This is understandable. Quote. We've just been a collection point for the information. We don't investigate or make reports. We haven't substantiated anything.
Speaker 2: In them, but here you go.
Speaker 3: But here it is. So we're not in charge of this. We have no comment. But you asked, have we complied? You can see why they wanted to get in front of it. The documents have a lot of wild stuff, again none of which is co signed by the Air Force. Alleged examples of alien writing, drawing, draw it, yeah, I know, drawings of flying saucers. And then here's one for the stargate fans in the crowd, in depth descriptions of extraterrestrials wearing Pharaoh mask.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's amazing. That's amazing. It's a good story from what the Air Force is telling us here. They for decades they got these reports and then they just put them here. Let me get one. They put them in a file folder. You know what I mean. I'm holding up a file folder, all right. That one's about cattle.
Speaker 8: So the U.
Speaker 3: So any agency, of course, is going to take pains to say, look, we just got what came in because we drew the short straw right and we didn't verify anything. But they also spend a lot of time in these documents on kai Kora specifically, on Kaikora specifically. The evidence gives lie to the original story. Guys. The original story is that New Zealand said stop panicking over weather phenomena. The real story is that internally they lost their bag over this. You know, they launched this inquiry because they were concerned. And I love the point of context we're bringing up here. It's still Cold War, right, They're concerned that there might be some vaguely described intruders. They don't define the intruders. They just say intruders, sort of like when your dog barks, it just says stranger.
Speaker 5: And anytime someone comes into my house, whether it's my kid or to Frida, I.
Speaker 3: Just go intruder, show yourself. You know, that's do you really?
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 3: It's sort of a bit. It's a joke. That's why I'm so paranoid.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 3: We used to hang out. I would. I would get in front of your house and then text you to let out. You know, I was there before I touched the At.
Speaker 5: Least I didn't have one of those like paint cannon things.
Speaker 4: You remember those security cameras that would like pelt like intruders with paintballs.
Speaker 3: That's kind of cool. Oh, we talked about it. It was a really bad idea. It was like some strange news thing we talked about. Well, mack, cool idea. Well, depending on which side of the door you're on, So the inquiry here does make some Again, they end with a bunch of pitches laying well, maybe it's blah blah blahor moybees blah blah blah have you thought about blah blah blah. But their inquiry reaches one interesting thing. They eventually say, okay, we'll play if then. So the if then game. If the objects did exist, and if the multiple observations of those objects are correct, if they are accurate, then those objects logically have to be traveling at around ten eight hundred miles per hour, which for anybody playing along at home, is pretty fast.
Speaker 2: Yes, maybe too fast for a lot of the stuff. You know, we were going to bring in stuff about drone technology that we talked about that was in full effect in the eighties and they're been tests on like radio controlled drone like things since World War Two. So like there's all kinds of weird stuff that could be up there that maybe some other governments operating and testing. Sure, sure would be weird to be testing it that close New Zealand if you're another country.
Speaker 3: But you know, I don't know. I mean, if it's Cold War, right, and it's the Allies against the Axis, you know, just think.
Speaker 2: Again, nineteen seventy eight is like high time there.
Speaker 3: For some of that stuff. Maybe it takes a village later later Nole's friends at the company, the CIA will do you like I just three, I mean the US there. That's so they they analyzed this stuff on their own and they said, similar to what doctor mcabee said, who I suspect may have had some conversations, they said the quote large amount of docum minary evidence includes the recollection of seven witnesses to tape recordings made during the sightings, the detection of some unusual ground and airplane radar targets, and a sixteen millimeter color movie. So while they reached similar conclusions to those of New Zealand, the case is still out there. There's a curious wrinkle because we're telling you about this now declassified report as of twenty ten, or anthology of reports, but the documents, the original documents those reports are based on, are currently sealed up, still classified in New Zealand's national archive. Unless something changes, some of these original reports are not going to be released until twenty eighty. Are we still going to be making the show in twenty eighty? Guys? What are we? What's our situation?
Speaker 2: Who are we?
Speaker 7: Man?
Speaker 2: What is this?
Speaker 3: What even are we?
Speaker 2: Well, we've got less than two thousand days until the singularity, according to some, So you know, we'll see what happens there.
Speaker 3: Whenever we say some we meet according to us in an earlier episode of our show.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, Well all those billionaires hanging out on New Zealand might get a real close encounter. We'll see what happens with all of that stuff. I do want to point really quickly just to that original broadcast that happened in nineteen seventy eight. I couldn't find an actual clip of that recording or an archived version of that. Did you guys locate that anywhere? Just a full stop. This is holding in one video.
Speaker 3: It's been You can find clips of it in larger things. I think that's what we both found.
Speaker 2: We are looking for the original one. We're not sure if it is titled UFO The Closest Encounter, if that was the original broadcast or if that was like a rebroadcast right as we talked about, this footage was shown many many a time. If you can gain access to that, or you find it, please send it our way. We'll tell you how to contact us in a minute. But we want to see the full thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and for now, we'd love to ask for some help from our Kei week Conspiracy Realist spelled with ks. Do people in your neck of the Global woods still think of the Kaikoro Lights? How do people typically explain it? Is there anybody on the South Island who you know? Pops, open some wine or get some coffee as December waxes on and spend some time looking at the night sky? Why are certain things still classified? Was there at least some point stuff New Zealand didn't want you to know. We can't wait to your thoughts. You can always send us an email, especially if you want a random fact. You can call us on a telephone. You can find us on the line.
Speaker 4: Do find us in all of those places first and foremost, not necessarily foremost, but first at least all on the lines at the handle conspiracy stuff where we exist on Facebook with our Facebook group. Here's where it gets crazy on x FKA, Twitter and on YouTube with video content galore for YouTube peruse and hopefully enjoy on Instagram and TikTok. However, we're conspiracy stuff show.
Speaker 2: Yes, one tiny little piece of information we forgot to add into this thing. There was a moment when these pilots with the journalists were flying and they're attempting to capture these lights. There's a moment when Wellington Radar told them, hey, guys, just heads up one of the lights. One of the objects is immediately behind you now so you can't physically see it, and it's doubled in size, so you know, get home safe.
Speaker 3: Do with that information?
Speaker 2: Yeah, just imagine call us, tell us how you would feel in that moment. That would be amazing. Call one eight three three st d WYTK. When you call in, it's a voicemail system. You've got three minutes. Give yourself a cool nickname and let us know within the message if we can use your name and message on the air. If you want to send us an email, you can do that.
Speaker 3: We are the entities that read each piece of correspondence we receive before we get to the rest of that. We have talked about the official inquiry some of those documents. If you'd like to read more on your own, you can find by emailing us directly. We'll give you the link, which is awkward to just announce on the air because it's government stuff. But if you yourself want to engage with the Official Information Act Request of New Zealand, just go to FYI dot org dot NZ and while you're online, hit us up for random fact here in the dark conspiracy at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 2: Stuff they don't want you to know is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.