Speaker 1: Welcome back to the Overcome of podcast. I am your host, Jenna Calopez. Thank you guys so much for choosing to be here and watch and listen to this episode. I am so excited for today's episode because we have the first Mexican signed No Mariacci Yes Yes Artists signed, Yes Mexican too, Yes to death Row Records, which I think is pretty cool. We have Julian Torres. I'm so excited. If you guys haven't seen him around, he's been singing for the Dodgers, he's been singing for Disney, for death Row Records, and I feel like you've been everywhere. I'm so excited and honored to be able to sit with you, to chat with you, and to talk about your journey. I feel like you have accomplished to this day. Hasn't been isn't easy. I think it's very amazing. So congrat relations on all your success and everything that you do. I think it's important for our culture and our community as well that you know you're signed to obviously one of, like one of the biggest record labels to this day, I think that ever began in the first place, and just your journey in general. I'm so excited. Thank you so much. Let's just let's get into it. Obviously, you know, how are you? How how how has the journey been for you? Like where did you grow up? How was your childhood?
Speaker 2: All that? Wow? Well, thank you first of all, thank you so much. Invitations. I really appreciate it. It's been amazing. It has been a lot of ups, some downs. We can't complain. We learned from the experiences. But it's been such an amazing journey to get to this point. I love what I do. I'm a singer now, composer, songwriter, the producer. But I'm also a special assistant for l U s t Yes during the week, so I do that as well. And and now we're on a different journey, you know, just that's been taking off. I've been blessed here in the City of Angels, right.
Speaker 1: And you were born and raised here, right.
Speaker 2: Born in Hawthorne to Mexican parents. Yeah, Meca Callisco, there you go.
Speaker 1: How was it growing up in La? How is that?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: Obviously everyone has a different experience growing up in LA's La is crazy. La is a lot of cultures, a lot of people, a lot of you know, attitudes. Sol just you know, everyone has their own story. How was it for you?
Speaker 2: I was blessed to be shown so many cultures in schools, to be be able to experience different families, you know, growing up in public schools. So I grew up in the South Bay, South Bay area, like born in Hawthorne. My parents always working, so we had, you know, apartments, living in apartments in the Torrents area. And I remember a duplex that doesn't exist anymore, close to the Alpine Village, close Little one ten. So I grew up in South Bay, went to high school in San Pedro, Pedro Alumni, but I was always exposed to many cultures. Yeah, you know, I went to middle school at thirty second Street in Los Angeles next to the shrine. Shout out to all my fellow classmates. But there was so many, so much cultures, so much richness being here in LA. And it's right, like you you grow differently you're in LA.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not for the week either. It's fun. I love I generally love LA and their people, but like the different I know, I get it's the different cultures and I just maybe I'm just comfortable in LA. Nothing can take me out of here and just like you know I every day I'm like, wow, this is a city I love to be in and.
Speaker 2: We have so much. Like you want to experience the mountains, you go to the mountains. You want to experience the ocean, yes, I mean go me that right. You want to experience good Italian you go to place good Ramen.
Speaker 1: Yes, there's good everything here.
Speaker 2: We're very spoiled.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And how about your journey? What was your first like memory of getting into music?
Speaker 2: The first memory is used to have this chair as a kid, and it would it would go round and round like it was like a turning chair if you could imagine that, and it would. I would act as if it was like a skateboard. And I would put on vinyls that my parents had listen to Fernandez Antonio Fernandez, and I would spend hours turning in that chair listening to music. My mom would be like like, no, I'm loving it, like I'm truly enjoying it. Those those were my first experiences at home, just loving to be sing Mariacci.
Speaker 1: Music and ever since then.
Speaker 2: And my dad would sing okay a lot, would sing a lot, and I would hear him sing all the time because he loved so he would go there as mante de cantar. He would be in officionado. So los officionalos if you don't know, is like there's it was either a nightclubs or a little clubs, little cantinas where they would either have mariachi or anything and they would it was like a contest, not like American idol or anything like that, but it was a contest and they would win a bottle. They would have been like boots and there were there would be a lot of good singers and my dad would be always win. So that was another reason why it was like, Okay, my dad is singing, he's bringing back a trophy and it was really cool.
Speaker 1: And how did you Because I feel like La has a you know, has a lot of competence.
Speaker 2: It does.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of voices, a lot of beautiful voices, let's and I feel like I would like to say mariacci is probe of the biggest like voices in l A. You know, just in general, how did you set yourself apart? Or even now to this day, like how do you set yourself apart? And you know, because it isn't easy, guess he's not easy.
Speaker 2: From La not only did I listen to Mariacci, but I would always listen to hip hop. I would listen to R and B. I would listen to oldies. So it was sal so everything. So you hear it down your Streeticanos, so you're hearing everything all like this melting pot of sounds. So when when we grow up here in La, like you have so many colors, you know, out of the mariachi myself, I love to take all those colors. And I love how Luther Vandros did that. I like, how did this? I like this be centifin as how he does this? And you study the best, right, you study majoris and you kind of take from there and make it your own, make it your own. Yeah, I think, and I feel like I'm very true to myself. I think that's why that might be why it works out. Yeah, I set myself apart. You know, I don't think I'm trying to sound like anyone. I mean I'm taking away certain things that people do.
Speaker 1: It's your own, Yes, no one's going to be your voice. Like everyone is justin and they have their own different types of of ways and it's their own, of course.
Speaker 2: And we need that. Yes, I'm not saying, oh you're not good. No, I'm very you know a part they content them a trumpet player. I love jazz, and I love you know big Man and all those, all these sounds, all these artists and they all have different sounds. Not better because all they play higher, yeah, or not better because they play loaders or smooth. It's just it's your sound. And I think that's that's where you could become your own and people like that. We need different sounds.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I definitely agree. And I think that's also the beautiful part. Again, like I said about LA in general, everybody has there's so many voices to hear, and yours is very powerful and it's been used in many parts of LA and even across the world and nationwide. And you know, we're gonna go on a quick break and we will be right back. Welcome back, you guys. You're signed again, like I said to death Row Records, and that is that is amazing. And I think as a Latino just speaks so many volumes and it is just I think it's so inspiring. How did that happen for you?
Speaker 2: So we all went through, uh, we all have gone through grief and loss, but I think La really went through it when Kobe Bryant pest and everyone was feeling shocked, just because everyone was so young and just the way everything happened. And I saw a lot of people gathering outside of Staples Center and now it's script the right, Yes, so I think the whole community was grieving. I even saw Abandon play and I was like, Wow, that's so cool. And the only way that I think one of my love languages is through song. Like I've I've been part of parties and events where people are celebrating. I've been parts, I've been involved in places where people are grieving, you know, funerals and stuff like that. So the only way that I was wanted to show love is through song. And I was looking at all these people just going down there and seeing you know, I was like, we gotta we gotta sing, we gotta do something right. And a friend of mine beat me to the punch. I was like, I'm gonna pose. I'm going tonight if you guys want to join. Friend of mine knows Ghana and he writes, hey, bring your track, bring your instruments, We're gonna go play for Mamba. So I remember you were cooking my wife is here. I think she was cooking or she was going to work or to school. And I saw a babe, I'm going down to Sta percent like I'm going. She's like, okay, I have to go to school. CHATROI took my trumpet and it was packed, right, it was packed there. The only parking was valet, so the valley was like one hundred bucks. So I was like, okay, let's pay it and we get there and we sing. So we sing about four songs. There was a good crowd of musicians that got there, and one of the songs was so the guy that posted he was like, no, well you sing the whole song, and he's he knows Guanga Vie Well he knew guangaviad. Personally, I'm I, no, you sing it. He sings. He has a beautiful voice. Okay, you la canto principio it la, So I sing. We sing the song as we're leaving, because we only sang like three four songs. As we're leaving. We're in the car and a buddy of mine was like, hey, we're going viral.
Speaker 1: We're going viral.
Speaker 2: Our videos going viral. I was like, oh yeah, okay, And that was the first time I saw numbers actually move at a post and I was like, this, this is wild. Yeah, well, d I e Lvidell went viralom everyone was watching it and and that that happened. Fast forward three years and I decide to repost this video on my page because they didn't put names of lookasa And finally I receive a message from Fred Wreck. I don't know if people know who Fred Reck. I didn't know who Fredreck was at the time. I was like, okayness ster fred Wreck. Well, turns out I look at his pictures and he has pictures with Eminem with Doctor Dre, with Snoop Dogg, Britney's Bears, the Doors, the Beatles. I'm like, okay, this guy is someone, right, Hey, I'm so happy you posted this. I finally found you. Turns out this man was there that night and he was going to them, but he stopped by to pay his respects and he heard He's like, I heard a voice amongst the music, but I heard a voice that impressed me. Wow. And I was looking through all these videos and they wouldn't say your name, like they didn't know who it was. So I'm glad you posted because now I found you and I want to record with you. And at first I was like, Okay, who are you?
Speaker 1: Is this a joke?
Speaker 2: Is this a joke? And then I started talking to him and texting back and forth. He's like, yeah, we could do it at a studio. And prior to this, I was already preparing an independent album. So I was like, okay, well, how much you're you gonna pay me? Like, what are the logistics of it?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: It's like, now you're gonna pay me. I was like, okay, well where are we going to record at? Snoops? And I'm like snoop, snoop, snoop, snoop. He's like yeah, Snoops at the compound? Like okay, well, I know I'm like on this history right. It's like yeah, we'll go record there and we'll lay it down. And but what am I like? I was still like concerned. I'm like, what are you going to do with it?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I know the logistics, Yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: No, you could have it. I just want to record it. You could have the recording. I just want to record you what. So we put a date, we get there and I got all the musicians lined up, like okay, someone comes at four. Then five six and told us, well, when Maicano, you go in, you work and you're out right get paid. So we get there and they're like chilli, hey, mister Dorris. Yeah. You walk in and it's the compound right now. It's like a spaceship. And once you walk in, you see all this memorabilia, these neon lights, you hear oldies going in. You see like pictures of Snoop Viament, all these artists, you know, pictures with him and and and I walk in on my is this real life? This is crazy? Right? So I walk in and finally see mister wreck Fred rec and he said, hey, how are you, mister Torris. Hey, I'm good. You're ready to to record. I'm like, yes, sir, we're ready to go. We'll sit down, no musicals, and I'm like, okay, let's start recording schedule. I know, like you. But we were talking so it was pretty cool, you know, we were relaxing, and he said, okay, you're ready record, yes, sir. So we go in and we knock it out and he was like simple yeah, and he was like okay, just like that. He's like, yeah, okay, we'll record vocals. I'm like I'm ready to record right now. If you want no, no, no, let's record vocals tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: They're like no, okay, because yeah, jo into the I walk into the compound. There's a lady there on the side. I'm like ol when I started this, you know, and she's like Ola, macho, gusto much. I walk in, go into the to the studio. A security guard walks in behind me. He's like, hey, bred, boss lady wants to meet your artist. Okay. He's like he's ye, yeah, I mean sorry to interrupt, and I went, I didn't want to interrupt, but you know, she wants to come in and know who your artist is. Almost send her in and Bossy mcordea, are you not it? And they said, Boss lady entertainment like this full light wall. So I'm like okay, Boss said okay. So the lady that I said hi to in Espanolola walks in. I'm like Ola, I said, you know, behind walks in this lady and she's like I was wondering who said all that to my friend? Right Yanta? And I see her face, I'm like, oh, she's been she's been on these pictures, like all these pictures right, who's this. He's like, oh, it's my artist, my Mariacci artist, Mariacci. Yeah, okay, you're not recording hip hop? Like, no, Mariacci. We just laid down a song. Oh, let's hear it. Well, it doesn't have the vocals yet, but maybe he could sing with it right here. Okay, So Lecantos she has she has a beautiful smile. So she smiled and she enjoyed it and and uh, you have to mean almost, And he's like, okay, we'll keep on recording. You know, do your thing. I'm happy to meet you. We lay down the vocals and I leave home. Getting to my house, meyam and Fred rack Hey, mister Torres. Snoop called me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he wasn't there, Like no, he wasn't there.
Speaker 2: No. Snoop called me and he asked me like what was I doing? Because he heard that I was recording Mariachi what And he I would like, He's like yeah, and he wants to know. He wants to hear it. He wanted to know, Hey, what are you doing? You don't have hip hop work to work on or what's going on? So he says that yeah, and he was like, well, let me hear. He's like, well, we're not done with it. I haven't, you know, laid down everything. He said, well, what do you want to do, Fred, you want to record an album or what? And I'm just listening to him explain this story to me. He's like, yeah, well, you know you need money and you need time to record an album. So he killed lico death Row Records recording Mariacci, let's do it because and I'm like what He's like, yeah, so do you have any originals? Like do you have any music composed compositions? I was like, yeah, I have some songs on my own. All right, we're gonna need them because you're recording an album and it's gonna be on death Row Records.
Speaker 1: I was like, what did you think?
Speaker 2: Is this real life? I was like.
Speaker 1: Wow, what this was all over the phone?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I was like, wait, death Row Records is hip hop? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Like how does it?
Speaker 2: Matteren like, how does it? Like you think of Tupac geting, you think of everyone right that's been involved Mariacci first Mariacci artist on death Row Records. I was like, this is first of all, is a major because Snoop Dogg is globally known.
Speaker 1: Yep, right, He's also known because he loves are the Latinos. Well, he loves everybody. He has a special heart, his special place in his heart for the Latinos.
Speaker 2: See because yeah, mass and you know, look into it. And you know, I had seen some videos of him and I'm like, Okay, is this a gimmick, like you know, because you think, okay, musically, how serious is this? Right? I don't know? And then he puts and then not only he puts the typical cellino and he puts certain songs like oh I love this jam and I'm like, wow, how do you know about that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're gonna on a quick break and we will be right back. Welcome back, you guys. It's surprises everybody. He's just he's so cool, Like I would love to like just chose him, but go ahead please. So what else happened after that? Like you felt like it was a movie? Did you say yes immediately?
Speaker 2: Or they just well you hear stories, right, you hear a typical recording record label stories, horror stories. So I was very you have to really, you know, inform yourself, look into a lot of things. But it just felt like family, like it felt so nice. My A and R shout out to Frankie Vasquez, mister reg Fred Wreck. It was just Sean that was an engineer there. It just felt like family, like all right, do you want to do this? Okay? And very like what I meant that at the beginning, you're like, okay, how how are we going to work together? Because these are two worlds and how is this engineer or the producer gonna understand Mariiaci music how to record instruments. And when I felt at peace was when I heard not the final track, I heard the mix and I heard the guitar n. The guitar n sounded like I've never heard it before. I mean, you listen, tell me a recording I haven't heard of Madiacci and you hear going, oh e those like you're listening to a lot of things. They're like, oh that was a cool recording, but we needed more. Right and I heard this, I was like, wow, this guitar room is slapping right now, this is this is hitting, like this is how I love to hear like in biebel Right. I was like, okay, we got this, and I'm like, how did you do that? Right? How did you and he was like, mister torre Is, we're hip hop, we're the lower end. We are we understand the lower end. Yeah, you know. So I was like, dang, this is amazing. I was uh ecstatic for the opportunity and there I was just doing what I love and people that were there, you know, mister Rex friends and like you don't even know what's going to happen to you because like you don't even know, like you're this is going to be epic wow, And.
Speaker 1: That's that's crazy that you did it out of the love for l a, the love for music and being genuine to yourself obviously, you know, from one night, and it happened three years after that night, three years after Well, I think, no, I think that God's timing is perfect.
Speaker 2: You know, it's true. Yeah, it's true. It's it's very you know, it's sometimes one is scared to do certain things and take the leap, but once you do, and it's it's an amazing Yeah, that's good.
Speaker 1: And I think that you you asking the questions obviously and you know, being aware and it's like there's no reason why this wasn't like this was destined for you, it was handed for you. And it was in the plan for you. And how does it feel, you know, Sagate Salisco and being Latino and Angelino yourself, Like, what's the how was that for you? Now living out a dream.
Speaker 2: I've always envisioned myself being on stage, like being performing, So actually seeing it happen and materialize, it's such an amazing feeling because, like you said, it was a dream and now we're living the dream, like actually living the dream and meeting people like experiencing this dream because of angels from the City of Angels. Like literally where I'm at is because of people like you giving an opportunia, people that have been helping me throughout the way and just I don't know, believe in me and believe in my story. That's that's I feel like, that's amazing to know that people. There's so much love and there's so much so many people rooting, you know.
Speaker 1: For you, and I you know, I'm reading I'm rooting here, I'm rooting here, I'm rooting for Latinos. I feel like in general, like again, this is a dream and this is what you know the plan God has destined for you, and I feel like it's for a lot of people and I know that there's people, you know, it's aspiring singer, songwriters, producers, Latinos specifically, and I think even like a lot of people in Mariacci. You know, let's narrow it down. What advice can you give to those people looking to be where you're at right now?
Speaker 2: You know what, Just just go for it, like if you feel it in your gut, if you feel if you if you're visualizing it and you're like, no, this is what I want to do. That's that's the first step. Yeah, Latins. Now you need to do your research. Where do you want to go? Like where do you want to go? Sing? Like, kind of narrow it down right, educate yourself musically a little bit more. Even though you say, ah, I'm not a singer, I'm not a composer, I'm not. Just go for it, like whatever's in your heart, go for it, and you're gonna get a lot of crickets, like not even knows it's gonna be.
Speaker 1: Like I send.
Speaker 2: So many emails, just keep on sending them. Put putting yourself out there like that's that's what when when you put yourself out there and you talk to people, just go up to be hey, how are you in the industry, how do you do it? And you're gonna get a lot of people that will brush you off, But don't give up. Don't give up. Just never give up and do it with your heart. Like if your intentions are good, go for it. Are you that man? And it's so funny because God and the universe or anything will move everything out of your way that is not for you. Sometimes when you think, oh, man, I wish I should have done that, or man, I really wanted to get that performance, or I really wanted to be part of that, and you're all bummed out, and it was like no, because I was opening.
Speaker 1: It up for this, Yes, the greater thing.
Speaker 2: It's happened to me.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, I look at where you're at right now. You're about to go see for the world series. That's amazing. I think that is just you know, there's so much pride, and again I think, what are your formulate? You have a lot of pride and everything that you do. So for moments like this, it's like wow, like congratulations, like you're really gonna take it to the next level and being the first and you know, but he actually is being recognized. I think it's such an amazing thing. What are you looking forward to now, Like, obviously you know you have are you finishing the album? What? What do we what can we look forward to hearing to seeing.
Speaker 2: We have a lot of songs that I've I've been writing writing and I have them in my hard drive, a lot of ideas, so I'm excited to release them into yes to the world. There's gonna be more of uh. I think I feel like Medical is the latest, Like it's as you're you're you're perfecting your your your happy songs, right and I'm like, yeah, I'm.
Speaker 1: Honestly, they sound really good.
Speaker 2: So that and then I have some boleros there and I love singing blets. So we're working towards the next project. There's some there's some acting that acting, the opportunities that have come I'm like, okay, whatever whatever is coming down, I get chettle it right. So that's coming up. I have some performances. I'm going to be singing for the first time in Tucson December seventh, and I'm excited because Tucson is a big, big Mariacchi area, the Tucson International Tucson International Music Conference, and so there's a lot of Mariacci lovers there, so I'm excited. I have a show prepared for them. It's gonna be amazing. Then that Sunday we come back to Santana to sing for a performance for a foundation called the Power of One Foundation, where it's gonna be I think you bring an unwrapped toy just for the community Christmas. So I'm very honored to be part of that performance as well. I'm talking to the producer and just talking to them and be like, all right, what's the game plan. Let's go forth and hopefully you know, there's talks of a tour twenty twenty five. Okay, so yeah.
Speaker 1: A lot of good things, a lot of it's amazing and well deserved too. Like I said, it's not easy, and I'm sure you've been through some struggles and ins and outs and it hasn't been easy to like everybody else, you know, but it is a blessing. And I congratulate you on all of your success and wish you all the best, and I cannot wait to see you perform and just you know, put a put a name for the Latinos out there too, so I appreciate it, and I thank you so much for joining on the podcast, and what's your social so that everybody can go ahead and.
Speaker 2: Find you social. I have Instagram is well, Julian Torres Underscore official, Gimbaco official, we have Facebook, YouTube, everything else.
Speaker 1: So make you guys, keep those TVs on. You might see him, Oh yeah, familiar face somewhar. Thank you, Thank you again. I wish you again all this decuss in the world. May that God bless you and you and your family and everything. Thank you. Thank you guys so much for watching and listening from wherever you guys are. I make sure you guys like come and subscribe, follow hu Lan, follow the podcast, and I will see you guys next Tuesday. Overcome for Podcasts is a production of Iheartmichael Tura podcast Network