Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to season whatever, episode whatever of Daily That guys, a production of iHeartRadio. It's the podcast where we take a deep avenue America, Share Countiness. And it's Friday, December twenty ninth, twenty twenty three. That's why it's whatever, because these are like the Evergreen episodes, but holiday EPs. My name is Jack O'Brien and I'm thrilled to be joined by some of the finest to ever do it.
Speaker 2: Superproducer on A Hoseba, superproducer Beca Rumollo, and superproducer Victor Ry.
Speaker 3: Hello.
Speaker 1: Wow, thanks, thanks for the energy everyone, No, I'm just joking. Uh. Great to have you guys here. Twenty twenty three is almost out the door. We thought we would do a New Year's themed episode. Last year we looked into the origins of some holiday Chrismass traditions, and this year we're gonna look at some origins of some New Year's traditions, some myths about New Year's and of course we're gonna look for some traditions we should steal from other countries. That's some fun, everybody.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so you're promoting appropriation, gone.
Speaker 1: Yes, I am always that's kind of my thing America is I don't know. I feel like our traditions are we emerge from our apocalypse bunkers on New Year's Day, watch football, you know, talk about our messianic leaders. Particular excuse for this one again not being the year the world ended, but in other countries, this is one I like. So this is from a Reddit thread, whereas like New Year's traditions from other countries, and I don't know what country this is from, and maybe it's from the United States, also just a specific region. But they say we clean every inch of the house between Christmas and New Year's start off with clean house, love it. And then they also say to get a clean start out with the old and with the new, you throw your Christmas tree in a giant bombfire. Huh, I'm on board. What's everybody think?
Speaker 5: I mean, clean house is always a nice, nice touch.
Speaker 6: Yeah, bonfire as a pyro love that, but as like an environmentalist might be dangerous.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna say, make sure your tree isn't covered in like chemicals and stuff to keep me fresh. Maybe don't like burn.
Speaker 1: In the Christmas tree life.
Speaker 4: It's beyond that because they spray chemicals onto trees to like keep them fresh and stuff like, you gotta be aware of Jack and that's why you're going to hell.
Speaker 1: Specific Wor already this recording like forty five minutes said to the conversation, that was the fifth time that I come back to that, and I'm going to hell. Uh, I don't know Victor, all right, I guess we should just, you know, talk about the elephant in the room. When we first started talking about this episode. Uh, Victor made up a lie. I don't know where. He said, Well, and of course we do the tradition of the twelve grapes, and we all pointed out that that there's no such thing as that, and he had just made that up. This motherfucking hacker went back and added references to the twelve grapes to Reddit posts, so it seems like he wasn't lying about that. No, I guess wait, I guess.
Speaker 3: This is a I don't cute back. I'm not crazy.
Speaker 5: I guess I missed that.
Speaker 6: I hopped on after Victor had said it, and I just said it because it's true.
Speaker 5: It's a Latino tradition.
Speaker 1: There we go.
Speaker 3: To get spoiled by my whiteness because I said it. I said it in the meeting, and everyone in that meeting is like, I've never heard of this any Why would you do that?
Speaker 6: You guys don't have enough brown friends, and that is showing your lack of diversity and inclusion.
Speaker 1: So what I do is I don't have brown friends. But then I go on Reddit and I read about the traditions, and then I steal them. I believe that's called I forget what the name for that is. No, but this sounds this sounds like a nice, little, I don't know, holistic, healthy tradition where instead of drinking the wine or the champagne, you get the grapes before they gone bed. You just eat twelve of them. That is that? Am I getting that? Right?
Speaker 3: For each each ding dong of the New year twelve, you eat one grape. So that way I took you.
Speaker 1: Each ding dong of the New year twelve you eat one grape.
Speaker 3: Yeah exactly. So that way, by the time you gets the last one, you're on your last grape and then you have a full year of you know, health and good vibes.
Speaker 1: You've got a handful of grape stem z. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Got well, you're supposed to at least in the tradition.
Speaker 6: I knew it as and I'm sorry as I keep moving around as my dog decided to wake up just now and eat the leaves. You're supposed to eat them all under the table before the stroke of midnight, at least in my house. And if you eat them all over under the table before the stroke of midnight, which it's actually kind of hard to eat twelve grapes that fast, you are supposed to get I think prosperity for the year, or like I think good relationships and love like you're like you're supposed to like wish upon like whatever relationship goals you have, like you should win in prosperity if you can do it.
Speaker 3: There's also another aspect that I never heard about until I was researching for this, is that you're so supposed to also be wearing red underwear that was a gift to you while eating the grapes. I don't know where that came from, but it is. I found it in multiple of the sources that I was researching.
Speaker 1: Something borrowed, something new, something something something blue. Yeah, exactly, Yeah, that's a wedding traditionally, I think.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's typically weddings.
Speaker 1: Yes, so I saw as I was doing research, I saw a lot of different countries with different colored underpants, yellow, pink, red, So shout out to various colors of underpants. I don't think I have any of those colors of underpants. Yellow.
Speaker 3: I definitely have yellow. Actually, so, but did they start out as white?
Speaker 1: They did.
Speaker 6: I wasn't gonna make that joke, but but yeah, so cleaning.
Speaker 1: The other one that I saw, there's diving into a body of water on the first to tort yourself first footing was a new one that I wasn't familiar with. According to this Reddit post, it's an old fashioned way of bringing good luck for the new year. The first person to enter a house that year should be a tall, dark haired man, preferably with whiskey, food and coal or pete something.
Speaker 5: Someone's like, what pad you know? And that's not like a fantasy.
Speaker 1: Right yeah? All yeah, with like just like a rock hard body and just like a great smile. Just should be the first person who comes through that door, not my husband. Yeah, I don't know, that's fun. Uh yeah, that was kind of my favorite. Old old tradition is like having specific things about who the first person who comes through your door can be. And like the idea of having to like turn people away because they're not to your.
Speaker 5: Spacere who I was looking for.
Speaker 1: You can come through the fucking window, pal, but you're not neither tall enough nor dark haired enough. On any traditions sounding good to you.
Speaker 4: I like grapes. I'll eat a grape crap underwear. Sure, I'm not very good at planning which underwear to wears. That would be tough for me. Yeah, the whole. Like, honestly, I'll do any tradition where.
Speaker 1: You eat, yeah, but don't come to my house.
Speaker 4: You come to my house, but I won't be there.
Speaker 1: There are also some like that are basically trigger treating, but for adults, where people like go house to house and that that is one with like scarling, yeah, kind of caroling. But it just made me realize, like, first of all, we're in desperate need of like community now as everyone's super lonely, and trigger treating's kind of wasted on children because they just like go up and do the cute thing and then leave, and like they don't have conversations with the people they're going up there with because they're fucking stupid. They're just kids. They don't have shit to offer, but like it if there was something that was a little bit more low key and you just like went from house to house and you know, got to got to know your neighbors. I feel like opened one another's houses to one another. That could be fun, assuming that they were a tall, dark haired man. Just the only only way they getting at my fucking house. I'll tell you that much.
Speaker 3: If everyone's going to each other's houses, who is going to stay in the houses to greet you? Oh?
Speaker 5: Good question, that's just.
Speaker 3: A bunch of empty houses.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, question the question on every Halloween, you know, you do somebody stays home to give out the candy, somebody goes out with the kiddos, and then you uh switch at some point. By the way, it's the Netherlands who are burning their Christmas trees. The Netherlands. So I see those trees, fresh fresh ass trees. I feel like they grow on trees.
Speaker 4: They have little Dutch elves growing trees, I believe.
Speaker 1: So yeah, all right, let's take a quick break and then we're going to come back and look at some histories of some of these New Year's Eve traditions and we'll be right back. And we're back and parties, New Year's Eve parties. Have you guys heard about these? Have you seen these things? New Year's Eve parties. So people been partying on New Year's since around two thousand BC, not not always on December thirty first. Caesar made that decision and then was promptly murdered, not necessarily for it, but uh she switched to our current calendar and then got merked. So they used to do it to coincide with the vernal equinox in March, much better time to have a big outdoor party. And it was not one day. It was an eleven day festival that included rituals celebrating the victory of the sky god Marduck over the sea goddess Tiamat, and the crowning of the next king. Is there a world where this sort of like roving multi week party becomes a thing again.
Speaker 5: For New Year specifically, or like any why not.
Speaker 1: Go with New Year's?
Speaker 6: I will say in Puerto Rico, Christmas is like a three week party like Traditionally in the Highland of Puerto Rico, Christmas is from I think the week before Christmas to like January eighth or thirteen. It's whenever three Kings Day is sorry bad Catholic over here. I don't remember when three Dings days, but that is how long Christmas is celebrated in Puerto Rico, and it's usually a three week party.
Speaker 1: Amaze, go go go, like yes this shit. Have you ever talked to a European person about vacations and they're like, Oh, you don't take like four weeks holiday? What is wrong with you? Yeah, it's I feel like That's what I'm learning about our New Year celebration.
Speaker 5: Is like, actually, can we just take more vacations?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we just like have fucking four week parties. Like, what what are we doing here?
Speaker 3: I feel like if we tried introducing a four week party to America specifically turned into like the Fire Festival or something.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: So nine month cruise but.
Speaker 6: They talked about is alcoholism and gambling addict and someone's gonna get pregnant and someone's definitely gonna die on that cruise and does gluttony galore.
Speaker 1: So you happen to have both generational wealth and alcohol come to the Royal Caribbean Cruise. Yeah, nine months Jesus. It took until the eighteen hundreds for the tradition of staying up to midnight to catch on. But back then it involved going from house to house to get ship faced with your neighbors. So, like I said, there's a precedent here. Probably also because like the streets were too dark to like go very far, so you know that's pretty late. But yeah, we we lost the going house to house part of the holiday in the past century, except for Halloween, which I feel like Halloween's a blast. Like I just so to.
Speaker 6: People carol anymore. People don't don't go caroling, do you, I.
Speaker 1: Like occasionally they do. And it's not like not everyone goes caroling. It's not like you can assume that there's going to be like there might be some carollers, Like I'd say we have average over the past couple of years, like one third caroler per like holiday season, like just yeh wherever I am. So it's not like, do you guys get carolers? Do you get steady carolers coming to.
Speaker 5: In an apartment?
Speaker 4: So never in my life have I seen a caroler in person.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I love parallel though.
Speaker 6: When I was young, my mom used to make all the neighborhood kids go caroling and then we would rewrite some of the Christmas carols to like Pokemon related because all the kids were relating to Pokemon back then. So yeah, we would do like the Twelve Days of Pokemon and sing it to the neighborhood.
Speaker 1: That's cute, that's so fun. I think. I think the main thing I want here is for an excuse to close the roads, Like I just close because that's what I think, that's what everybody's craving, Like, it's so much what we want that, Like we created the post apocalyptic movie genre to just be like that's our fantasy about wh ackable cities is just is what movies are. So just like I mean, post apocalyptic movies like usually don't have cars or like there's a lot of them where you're just like walking down a road and it's like, what, why would that be how things are? Why isn't everybody like driving where they're going. It's because people fucking hate cars secretly and they want they want a world without cars. So turn that that's my tradition. Close neighbor little neighborhood roads. You can still keep the thoroughfares open. People can drive like five miles per hour if they need to, like get out of the their neighborhood to go somewhere but otherwise shut the shit down, kind of like how some places do for trigger treating. All right, So that's the history of parties and some ideas I think we should bring back. Champagne was only invented due to a colossal fuck up, like that there was a one bad year for wine, like very bad, and like the fermentation process was so bad that it like created too much carbon monoxide inside the bottles, so everyone was like, this is fucking terrible. And then they somehow used branding to trick people into thinking that it was good, and so then rich people started drinking it. It became popular, and in the eighteen eighties it was made available to the masses and marketed as an aspirational beverage, which is why it became a thing for New Year's because so much so many of the traditions are like good luck for being rich this year. It seems like is kind of the overall vibe, an attempt to manifest riches for the coming year by drinking like a rich person.
Speaker 3: And so they immediately marketed it to rich people like they're like, this is a fucked up drink, and then they just tried to get rich people to buy it as soon as possible.
Speaker 1: This is a fuck up drink. You know who'd love this? Those rich? Yeah, well, I think that's always who you start out marketing a thing too, Yeah yeah, and then if that doesn't work, you work your way down. But I think it needs to catch on with a rich for it to like get enough legs and momentum for it to then become a thing that gets well.
Speaker 6: I feel like only rich people, through history and time are the people who have disposable enough income to be like, yeah, I'll do this poofy ass thing this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, They're the only people with enough disposable income and time to be like, getting normal drunk isn't good enough. Let's get drunk on the broken wine that has bubbles in it by accident, you know. And our writer points out that like the pop of the cork became a new marker for the stroke of midnight. Before that, it was always church bells. But as society became more secular, people associated New Year's Eve more with getting fucked up and drinking champagne rather than religion.
Speaker 4: A society became more like sort of alcoholics.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: With the realization that sorry, my voice is going away. Yeah, excuse me. With the realization that everything was going downhill, we had to drink more. It's actually, you know what I'd love to really look at is like, what when did things start to fall apart in America's Day one?
Speaker 1: The day like.
Speaker 4: We all it was like a downhill from there, Isn't that funny?
Speaker 1: It was like so new, Oh my god, this is amazing.
Speaker 4: Then they were like, we must destroy and conquer immediately.
Speaker 3: Isn't that fun?
Speaker 4: Happy holidays?
Speaker 1: Are you guys? Champagne fans?
Speaker 4: You mean champagne freaks champagne.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say freaks, but I didn't want to be disparaging to the champagne freaks out there.
Speaker 4: I could be like, if I'm on a private plane, Wow, I'm just joking.
Speaker 1: You changed special.
Speaker 4: It's a special occasion sort of drink. I think I don't just go like, pop this champagne, bitches, and my partner's like, it's get to work in the morning.
Speaker 1: I think I've made it clear, like it's not a surprised to me that it's accidental as your body like immediately converts it to bile. Like the second that goes down your throat. I feel like, if you've ever if you've ever had champagne come back up on you, it's not.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I guess that's kind of true.
Speaker 6: I really will only drink champagne and I'm Mimosa vibe, you know, like that's yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: My friend bought me this really nice, expensive bottle of champagne for my birthday and I was like.
Speaker 5: Why why would you do this?
Speaker 1: I don't know what to do with this.
Speaker 5: I saw, haven't opened it.
Speaker 6: I'm like, yeah, I don't drink enough alcohol and or champagne to like feel comfortable just opening it knowing I can't reseal it, and I feel like I need a party, another party, Yeah, to open it.
Speaker 3: It is just instant headache for me back where it's just the minute it touches my lips, I get a migraine. So I usually try to stay away from champagne.
Speaker 1: The popping of the quirk that was so fun, Like that's one of one of the great little I don't know. Also, I discovered recently confetti cannons. I'd assume those were Have you ever seen those.
Speaker 5: Like the things little popper ones?
Speaker 1: Yeah for a little popper, But have you seen the ones that like really like explode the shit out, like and make a loud like gunshot noise.
Speaker 6: Yeah, like the big ones, right, people use themse for like uh, wow, why am I spacing baby shower baby gender reveal?
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, I accidentally got one of those from Target. I thought it was the kind that just like did an air blast and like blew the confetti out, but it was. It was a little explosion in there, smelled like gunpowder and just the most fun. Highly recommend that those the fun little addition to our our New Year's traditions at the O'Brien house. I feel like I wouldn't mind if they brought back bell ringing, like at the bell ring. I love when the bells start a ringing around town in movies. I don't think I've ever been in where it was happening, but like, well.
Speaker 6: If you live in the Ramos household, you'll hear a bell ring every hour every fifteen minutes technically so from the Grandfather clock.
Speaker 1: Wow in our house. Yeah, like city wide bell ringing like that, Like it's like Queen Elizabeth was just born or some shit. Like it's okay. I feel like there's something fun and quaint about that.
Speaker 5: It's giving a hallmark movie for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just not possible because nobody wants to hang out in a church that late, I guess, or like people who do hang out at churches like are in bed by nine o'clock. But that used to be the way people.
Speaker 3: People got down by ringing bells in churches, a quasi moto character just ringing the bell. That was the only way that people communicated with one another back it was just ringing, ringing church bells.
Speaker 1: And then old Lang sign the song that nobody has ever heard wells Sober was written by Scottish poet Robert Burns. But then like it wasn't initially paired with that really sad ass song, which it is like a weirdly melancholy song or a thing that's supposed to be a celebration.
Speaker 6: Of a new new dawn, a new time, a new era, you gause. I've never really listened to the lyrics. I just picture it in the movie New Year's Eve.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I remember it from the movie where the Poseidon Adventure, I think, where a giant rogue wave knocks over a fucking cruise ship. But yeah, the song is so sad that It was actually banned by the Union Army during the Civil War because they were worried they would.
Speaker 5: Like, already down you, we cannot bring them down further.
Speaker 1: They thought it would invoke homesickness in their troops. They're like, look, guys, everyone's gonna fucking kill themselves if they hear this song.
Speaker 3: But let's stick with it as our New Year's Eve theme. Why why did they have to ban it? Was everyone trying to sing it, and they're like, to stop singing this fucking song.
Speaker 5: I want to know what a band like that looks like. Though you're already in the havoc of war.
Speaker 6: Yeah, how do we get out the word that we also cannot sing?
Speaker 1: They can't someone singing it out behind the outhouse and then like cut to them.
Speaker 5: Being hung because we cannot sing that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we were at war, But and then there was I got It became inextricably linked to New Year's Eve and pop culture because there's a big band leader, Guy Lombardo, who can forget Guy Lombardo, who played it every year on his New Year's Eve show, which began in nineteen twenty nine on the radio, eventually ended as a TV show in nineteen seventy six and that's why we have it to this day, old guy Lombardo. But yeah, I kind of appreciate it's poignancy. You know, Christmas is just all sugar, all like sweet songs. Even the sad songs are kind of like Maudlin and like sweet and like all about how I miss you, I love you. And this one's just like we're only here for a little bit. Guys, we're all gonna be dead. So that's that's the vibes I get from it.
Speaker 3: Anyways, I like how you could also, I feel like anyone could sing it too, Like in a group. It sounds decent, like if you try, if a random person tried singing oh Holy night or something, yeah, that would be a disaster. But this one, I think everyone can sing it in a group, which I appreciate quite a bit.
Speaker 1: Let's all try right now. I just I don't know the words, like that's the thing. But I always my brain always wants to turn it into keep your eye on the Grand old Flag, like it has a son, you know that song and keep your eye on the Grand all Flag. Let's take a quick break, we'll come back. We'll talk about the ball drop we'll talk about New Year's myths, all of it more, and we're back in the ball drop. We love it, don't we, folks. It is not intended as a visual metaphor for puberty. It was actually invented because fireworks were abanned nineteen oh seven after the previous year's fireworks just rained hot ash onto New York City streets and everyone was freaked out, and in.
Speaker 6: This research wasn't Is that a common notion that people think the ball drop is supposed to be in relation to male puberty.
Speaker 1: I think that was just a little I think that was our writer j McNabb a little bit fine, But I feel like that's a joke. Everybody has made it at some point.
Speaker 6: Oh I must be in the wrong sort the passage of time, you know, with only women.
Speaker 1: It's it's very abstract, like it is a weird thing that like we we all just kind of accept because it's been the thing since we were kids. But to have a ball drop it feels like something out of a modern art exhibit. But yeah, it was just because fireworks burned to people.
Speaker 3: That is the worst compromise ever, Like you can't shoot off the cool fireworks, but you could just drop this ball on New Year's Eve.
Speaker 1: And when I heard about it, I thought it was going to be like really kinetic, like the ball was going to like fall really fast and fall a great distance. And then when I saw it, it's just like kind of like goes down slowly and then nothing happens. I don't know. I feel like we could feel like we could beat it.
Speaker 3: Folks in the research, was there a reason why the ball specifically, you say that it was like the that's the only thing that they could think of.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but nineteen oh seven, man people were dropping balls all over the place. I mean they were about to drop the ultimate ball. By having World War One, that's major fuck up. So I don't know, it just unsuccessful, I would say. But it's stuck around because there's nothing else. There are other things though, right, Like what don't other cities have other things. I feel like I'm always just like a little underwhelmed by what happens at various New Year's celebrations. They are like the ball rise this one the ball goes upwards, which makes about the same amount of sense, and then New Year's resolutions can mainly be traced back to early Christians who saw New Year's Days, the traditional time for thinking about one's past mistakes and resolving to do and be better in the future. Fun. Yeah, and also I guess ancient Babylonians were in there, but yeah, now it's just a way for corporations to try and associate themselves with like aspirational shit like Coke Producings. Coke produced resolution themed cans in twenty twenty one that look like shit and say I promised too blank just for you.
Speaker 5: Hmmm.
Speaker 3: This one's do better in the picture, which just is so vague and confusing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it sounds like a bad boyfriend being like, I'm sorry, bib, I promise to like do better for you.
Speaker 3: I learned resolutions were bullshit when I was a freshman in college and my friend tried quitting cigarettes for his New Year's resolution, and then two weeks later I saw him like double fisting not three cigarettes, yeah, and then just throwing up in the bushes afterwards, because like his tolerance went down and then he just needed it very quickly after. So that's when I learned that resolutions became kind of bullshit. You know, got to do it.
Speaker 6: I like the idea, like I love the the aspiration of a resolution. I every year do write down a bunch of resolutions, but and I like to look back on them, like in December, Like I wrote them in January, and I would look back at them on this month and be like, oh, what did I actually accomplish? What did not actually accomplish? But I don't try to like hold myself and ran I'm so sorry for my audio right now.
Speaker 1: I don't try to hold.
Speaker 6: Myself to them so deeply, like I'm not gonna make myself feel bad if I didn't read the amount of books I said I was going to read, or like do whatever. It's more of a chance to recognize maybe how I've changed as a person, or like, you know, oh, these goals were my goals at the beginning of the year, but what about me has changed at the end of the year that like, maybe those aren't my goals anymore.
Speaker 5: And it's kind of cool to see if things did go the way I thought they would or or not.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I like a good time of reflection.
Speaker 1: I mean, I admire people who are able to make near's resolutions and stick to like So there's the statistic that eighty percent of people give up on their resolutions by mid February. That's like so much longer than I would have expected, and that I would be making it, like for something that I just like made up as a goal for myself because everyone else is making up goals of that time of year. It's my hat's off, my little New Year's hat off to you for making it a month and a half with a New Year's resolution. That's that's so much further than I would have expected.
Speaker 4: Do you want to hear my resolution?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's to say less, say less.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm done talking to you fools my job.
Speaker 3: What I know.
Speaker 4: My resolution is to say less on podcasts.
Speaker 5: I wish that was Cheecha's resolution right now.
Speaker 1: I think she's making great points. So yeah, some experts think resolutions are bad for people because they aren't sustainable or realistic, creating a cycle where you become more critical of yourself. But I don't know, don't make me, don't yuck my yum on New Year's resolutions.
Speaker 3: I feel like that's because people the resolutions themselves don't make like are impossible. Like instead of oh, I want to read twenty minutes a day, people will go like, I want to read fifty books this year or something. Yeah, you know, so instead of like doing oh I need here's the end result, just do like a little bit every day and then that will be easier to resolve.
Speaker 5: You know, you got to make smart goals, you know, yeah.
Speaker 1: Exactly, so why you should download my app Smart Goals. So here are a couple myths. First of all, not true that nears is the most dangerous day to drive. Probably not the safest either, but despite all the drunkenness, Memorial Day is actually worse for car accidents, followed by Labor Day, Independence Day, Columbus Day, Father's Day, and singaday mayo Jesus, that's dark, Come on, dad, Jesus Christ. But so the reason for this, they think, is because public transit is often made free on New Year's Eve, and so it reduces the number of cars on the road. And also it's just like more transparently time for people to go out and drink. And so you're not like with Memorial Day or Labor Day. I can see like there's some like, oh, we were going to a picnic or something with the whole family, but then people are still drinking. Where it's like New Year's It's like no you're planning the whole day A lot of the times around the idea that you're not going to be able to drive home sober, or like me, you'll be home the whole time playing with your confetti cannons, the joys of sobriety.
Speaker 4: I really hope you're picking up all that confetti after you shoot it.
Speaker 1: Nah, it's still there from last year. Well, it's just on the ground, it is. So New Year's is the worst day for car thefts, huh, or the best day for car thieves, because I don't know, I'm assuming so like a lot of the articles assume that it's because car thieves are drunk and like making bad decisions. But I would assume it's because the people who are getting their cars stolen are drunk and making bad decisions, right, like and just like leaving.
Speaker 3: Their car on just leaving their keys or like that, yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, or like you went away for the holiday, so you've left your car, yeah, and it's you know, people kind of know you're not around. And so because I'm sure that happens a lot in Brooklyn, Like I live on a street that has like alternate side of parking or whatever, so people obviously leave their cars for like multiple days, and I'm sure if they're like out of town, they're leaving their cars. So yeah, Like if you just kind of are watching and you know what cars are around and how many days they've been, you could.
Speaker 1: Be like, yeah, oop, the sound of a car being sound of theft, sound of theft real quick.
Speaker 3: I am looking at the Snopes article and it is confirming what we just talked about. Of there was no specific reason they gave as to why there are, but an ICP's Frank Scaffiti.
Speaker 1: It's stating, you, mother fucker people.
Speaker 3: Get drunk on New Year's and that makes many otherwise ordinary responsible adults act like mindless morons and do things they might not do when they're sober.
Speaker 4: So yeah, that so me to like rob a car when I'm drunk, me hyperb the car.
Speaker 3: I'm such a leo.
Speaker 1: Or it could be because weirdly Christmas is like the lowest time for car theft, like a week before. It could be that people like resolved to not steal a car on Christmas. It's like your friend with the cigarettes. They're like, ah, yeah, now I'm just gonna steal all the fucking cars. Been without car theft for too long, double fisting cigarettes, double fisting car theft. So yeah, I don't know, watch out for car thieves or keep your eye out for good cars to steal this New Year's would be my advice for everyone. Thank you guys so much for joining for this special year end episode. This is not the last Evergreen Holiday episode that you're listening to, it is the last one we're recording. So it's been a pleasure recording with you guys. And yeah, we are back in the new year, back with more holiday episodes in the coming days. Hope everyone's having a great holiday and we will talk to y'all soon.
Speaker 3: Bye bye, bye bye