Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: This is a breaking news update from Bloomberg instant reaction and analysis from our three thousand journalists and analysts around the world.
Speaker 3: The warsh FED holds the benchmark rate to three and a half to three point seven five percent, significantly changes the statement and splits evenly over whether there will be a rate cut this year. They see a rate increase this year, they see one cut each. In twenty twenty seven and twenty twenty eight. Nine members see at least one increase this year, with six of them seeing two moves, but nine see no moves or a cut. The median dot this year does move to three point seventy five percent from three point three seven five percent. However, for twenty twenty six there are only eighteen dots, suggesting the Fed chairman did not enter one. He said he doesn't leave in the dot plot. Two members did not submit a dot. For twenty twenty eight, the statement was cut to four paragraphs, the first the vote unanimous, then the decision, along with the statement that the Committee reaffirmed its policy of maintaining ample reserves in the banking system. The second and third graphs are the economic assessment activity is expanding at a solid pace, despite elevated uncertainty that owes in part to conflict of the Middle East. Productivity growth and capital investment are strong. Job gains have kept pace with the workforce, and the unemployment rate has changed little. Inflation remains elevated relative to the committee's two percent goal, in part reflecting supply shocks that have driven price increases in certain sectors, including energy. There is no balance of risks anymore. The statement concludes, the Committee will deliver price stability. All nineteen members of the Committee did submit economic forecasts GDP this year two point two percent, down two tenths from March. Unemployment will be four point three percent, up a tenth. PCEE headline inflation will come in at three point six percent, significantly increased from two point seven percent in their March projection. Core similarly moves much higher to three point three percent from two point seven percent. Growth and unemployment for twenty twenty seven are unchanged from March, while PCEE inflation falls back to two point three percent and CORE two and a half. So some significant changes already under the warsh Fed. We'll see what the Chair has to say, coming up in about a half an hour.
Speaker 4: Michael McKay stay close, definitely putting his mark on this federal reserve. Just to underscore what Mike was just saying, it looks like potentially FED share. Kevin worsh did not put a dot. That is speculation. There were only eighteen dots. There are nineteen members and mean mile. You're looking at nine of eighteen FMC participants penciling in a twenty twenty six rate hike. When you take a look at what that is in markets, you can see a huge shift up in the two year yield, a market shift of about seven basis points to four point one three percent. You could see stocks rolling over as this continues, people bleeding in the idea of a.
Speaker 5: More hawkish central bank.
Speaker 4: Given that an increasing number of FED participants are looking at a.
Speaker 5: Rate hike this year.
Speaker 4: When you take a look at the Nasdaq that is continuing to decline, the S and P five hundred down about half of a percent, Bob, what's your initial reaction, And given the fact this does seem to be a hawkish tilt on the committee and a very different statement, it is.
Speaker 1: A hawkish tilt from the committee. Half of the Committee is expecting rate hikes this year, which is I think a real shot across the bow to the market. We were thinking two, maybe three to be decorative. We didn't think half the committee. So you know, it's something quite different when you look at the inflation projections. You know, we were thinking up a couple tenths. You're up six tenths, nine tenths for this year. So nobody at the FOMC is thinking that this inflation will be transitory enough and we'll see disinflation between now and the end of the year. So yeah, I think this is a FED that is sending a hawkish message. I think you have a FED chair telling us he can't be bothered with the dots. I think that's a slap across the face. We'll see how he deals with that and the FED going forward.
Speaker 4: Skarli, it seems like this is a real change, both in tone, both in substance, and frankly points to a hawkish committee and as Bob said, a FED chair that is doing away with the dots.
Speaker 6: So it'd be really interesting to see how Kevin worsh comes out and frames everything when he does begin speaking, because if he leans dubbish it'll certainly be a case where he doesn't appear.
Speaker 5: To be speaking on behalf of the committee.
Speaker 6: He's kind of speaking out there on his own own, expressing his own views. It's fascinating because again he has not said a whole lot about his take on the economy aside from his confirmation hearing before the Senate. So all this raises a lot of questions. As you mentioned, stocks have extended their losses, and now we now see the S and P and the NASAC losing two thirds of one percent. Yields again have continued to stay higher, the two year yield up nine basis points, the ten year yield about two basis points.
Speaker 4: Right now, joining us now to extend the conversation. Former of Advice chair Rich Clarita Rich. Are you surprised that it appears that one member of the Fed did not submit a dot?
Speaker 2: Well, Lisa, thanks for having me on. I'm actually not surprised. I actually was inclined to think that Walsh would not submit a DOT. But certainly the news that Mike McKee just shared with us that you had nine participants right down at ray Hike was certainly above what I've been thinking going into this meeting for sure.
Speaker 5: Why do you think that is?
Speaker 6: What is is that that the nine members see that has taken the market by surprise.
Speaker 2: Certainly, Well, there was a big markup in core inflation projected relative to the March SEP And I think the reality is that the pressure and core inflation that we've been seeing in recent data is not just to pass through from from energy prices, but it does appear to be more broadly based, and I think that's probably a factor in these in this reassessment.
Speaker 1: Rich The last line of the statement is the committee will deliver price stability, nothing about full employment. How do you interpret that?
Speaker 2: Well, it's not in front of me here because I'm doing your doing your show. But that is an important change to the statement. You know, by statute, the FED does have a dual mandate and that's also highlighted in the firm's policy framework, and I'm sure I hope Kevin will be asked to elaborate on that at the press conference. We're at a point where we're at full employment, or at least close to the FED assessment of maximum employment, so I wouldn't read into this that they're abandoning the employment on mandate, but clearly some important change in the language, for sure.
Speaker 5: Bob, what's your take on that.
Speaker 1: I think they are concerned by the level of inflation. They are concerned about what they see in the Kapac cycle. They are somewhat scarred for twenty twenty two, and they don't want to repeat that mistake again. And they're watching other central banks coming out and lifting rates and their bond markets responding well to that. So I think they're reconsidering, certainly where they were last meeting, and they're getting us ready for rate hikes.
Speaker 4: Rich is there anything at all dubvish in any way, shape or form of any part of this four paragraph statement, Not at.
Speaker 2: First glance or at first listen. Again, at least for this meeting, Cher Walsh will have the bully pulpit, and I very much will be looking forward to seeing how he frames this and provides his own perspective. But certainly I think we have an indication here, especially with that sentence, the committee will deliver price stability. That sounds like where he's going to land, for sure.
Speaker 6: So there's a comment here from Joseph Richter, he's one of our editors at Bloomberg Intelligence. On our live blog, and he says that those who look for a quiet first wash FMC meeting must be disappointed. Rich, what will you be listening for, in particular from Kevin Walsh when he speaks today. I know you said it'll be interesting to see how he frames his thinking.
Speaker 5: But what will be the one.
Speaker 6: Thing that you want to hear from him?
Speaker 2: Well, let me give you more than one. Certainly I would like to have him flesh out how the dual mandate fits into this at this at this point. Also importantly, you know he's spent the last fifteen years criticizing the Fed's big balance sheet. The Fed's growing or expanding its balance sheet now, and so perhaps moving beyond this meeting to the rest of the year and the next year, how he's going to try to change minds on the committee about the balance sheet size as well.
Speaker 3: Mike McKee jump in here, Well, I think Rich raises an important point. The only reference to the balance sheet is the FED reaffirming its commitment to the ample reserves policy, which is generic enough to encompass both Warsh's desire for a smaller balance sheet and others desire to maintain the quarter system that we have now. But the question is do they go to that later? Is it just too much of a bridge to cross right now? Other points that I think are worth making is that while the committee dropped the bias statement and doesn't give any quote unquote forward guidance in the statement itself, the dot plot is forward guidance because all you're talking a about right now is the nine people who think that we're going to get a rate increase, and that this tells you that the Fed is hawkish. So if Kevin worsh wants to walk that back, he's going to have to do that in the press conference. Otherwise the markets are going to be tilting in that direction. It's also interesting that they did say they're committed to price stability. What it seems like is that the people who were worried about inflation, that worry has spread, and as Rich noted, the core inflation has broadened out some. And so they are sending a message to the markets that we're not going to let this get out of control. We're not going to repeat what happened in twenty twenty one twenty two. We are going to focus on price stability right now. The unsaid thing is that we're basically at full employment, so we don't have to worry about that for the moment.
Speaker 1: Mike. The other thing that jumped out at me is you said that we went from eighteen dots to seventeen dots for twenty twenty eight. Is there an undercover supporter of Worsh policy in the FOMCS now?
Speaker 3: It does seem like there might be at least someone who supports the idea that the dot plot is not worth considering. It could also be that one member decided that there's just too much uncertainty for twenty twenty eight, and why bother to add to that by just guessing it where rates are going to be. We've had a lot of FED officials over the years tell us that they just kind of throw something in for the third year out because it's just too hard to project anything that far out. I wouldn't read too much into that, but the idea that Kevin Worsh did not submitted dot kind of tells you that he's going to maybe push to do some change to the dot plot going forward.
Speaker 5: If you are just joining us right now.
Speaker 4: We did get a statement that's for paragraphs long, much shorter than usual, with no reference to the employment mandate, with nine of the eighteen members opting to support some sort of rate hike this year, leaving the others either in support of just keeping things where they are or potentially cutting rates being taken. It's incredibly hawkish. You could see the selloff in treasuries extending. You could see two year yields now up eight basis points.
Speaker 5: Across the curve, all rising.
Speaker 4: Although this is yield curves flattening this idea that potentially there will be some sort of tightening in policy.
Speaker 5: Former Vice Chair Rich Clarita, final for word from you.
Speaker 4: What's your question right now going to be for a FED chair Kevin Walsh.
Speaker 2: Kevin, you did not submit a DOT today. There's no forward guidance in the statement. The markets are taking the information today as hawkish. Would you be prepared to comment?
Speaker 4: Former FED Vice Chair Rich Clarita, who might make a sneak appearance because that was pretty good. Thank you so much joining us now. Diane Schwalk of KPMG. Diana, what's your first take in this?
Speaker 7: Well, I'm actually not all the surprise. We saw a major move in the minutes to the last meeting where a lot of people were moving towards the hawks Jan and saying we may need to consider rate hikes later this year and in the interim period. We have seen even FED governors, which usually hold their cards a little closer to the vest, some of them who have never seen actually take a firm stand, talk about how the price stability side of the mandate is more important now than the employment side of the mandate. And that's exactly what you saw with that last sentence in the statement. Was not that one was that we were not having a dual mandate. It's that the focus is on price stability given the stability we've seen in the unemployment rate. And I think that's very important what the FED is saying, we're not going to take the inflation as transitory. What concerned so many at the FED meeting in March when we saw sort of the initial forecast and there was a lot of uncertainty, but the minutes from that meeting really revealed how many people but we're already concerned about the data that was coming out that suggested that underlying core inflation was not only sticky, but maybe reaccelerating again. And I think that is where we're seeing this come from. It is beyond the energy shock. It is beyond terror of shocks. It's in that core super services component of inflation that we're seeing get sticky and hot and accelerate and not consistent with anything that resembles price stability.
Speaker 6: I want to go back to that idea, Diane, that the statement ends with the committee will deliver price stability From where you sit. What are the most reliable inflation indicators that the committee will then focus on. If it's, of course the reported numbers, But when it comes to inflation expectations, you've got Marcus based measures, You've got survey based measures, you know, and.
Speaker 7: None of these measures they have At times, none of the FED will never say inflation expectations are unanchored, and I think that's important, and a lot of these inflation measures on expectations do not look on anchored. Although consumer sentiment certainly is not high at the moment, and I think the decoupling we've seen between consumer attitudes and their actual spending reflects the burn of inflation, and they're seeing that out there. They're also seeing in surveys like the Ism survey and the Purchasing Managers surveys, things where manufacturers are front running future price hikes. That's the exact behavior the Federal Reserve is tasked to prevent because that kind of hoarding behavior reinforces its own inflation cycle. So I think those kinds of behavioral shifts they're seeing out there, they're worried about the muscle memory of inflation. We're five years in and inflation is still a problem, whether or not it's all the Fed's fault or not. It's only one institution's responsibility to derail inflation, and that is the Federal Reserve, and that's what you're seeing them sort of put their foot down now that the labor market situation, although not perfect, is not in the precarious situation it appeared to be last fall.
Speaker 6: You've noted, Diane, that one of the largest near term hurdles for the Central Bank is the persistence of service sector inflation. What has proven to be the most effective way to bring down inflation in the services.
Speaker 7: Sector well, sector that has been sort of impervious to some of the increases in interest rates we saw. We did see wages cool, but they've not cold enough to bring it down. And I think part of the problem we're finding in the service sector is one demographic and the aging demographics and upward pressure on some healthcare costs. But we also have other factors pushing up service sector inflation, and that is inequality and the ability of very high end consumers to spend up, to buy at the front of the airplane and buy first class tickets, to spend at high end hotels. All that is blowing inflation at a time when many who are on the lower end or even in the middle part of the income strata are seeing their wages eroded relative to inflation, where we know at the highest end of the income strata that wages are actually going up more rapidly than inflation. And so that's one of the challenges that FED faces is they've got a manage to the economic aggregates when the devil is in the details underneath those aggregates.
Speaker 4: Bob, you know what strikes me is that if you look at some of the economic projections here, a lot of people do seem clearly much more concerned about inflation. They revised up their core PCEE between three point two and three and a half percent for the entirety of this year from two and a half to two point eight in the previous one. Throughout all of these, even the FED Fund's rate central tendency was moved up between three point six and four point one. At this point, can we say we're at neutral? And can you say that right now? This is a FED committee purely trained on inflation. Just as Kevin worsh reflected in that statement.
Speaker 1: They're telling us that we're not at neutral, even though the median dot there's enough dispersion for higher inflation and higher rates. It's telling us that maybe the market was right before the meeting, the market was pricing in one rate hike over year end into next year. It looks like they looked at the market and say, hey, it's giving us a rate hike. Inflation's not going to be at our target for five years going on to six. Maybe this is the opportunity for us to step in like every other central bank and high rates. I thought we would get there. I didn't think we would get there at this meeting. The long end of the market likes it. Look at that the front ends up six seven, eight basis points, the long ends down a basis point. A FED that's vigilant again creates support for the long end of the market.
Speaker 4: Well, and actually, Diane do you think that in some ways, just to conclude this is actually a way to get the ultimate goal of recuts down the road by job vowning the market into seeing this as a hawkish fedule reserve.
Speaker 7: I think it is important, and I think it's also an acknowledgment, though, I mean the context is important here. Five years without hitting its inflation target and five years of compounding inflation is a problem for the US economy, and they now have more flexibility with the labor market showing some signs of finally generating jobs, stable unemployment rate for a while now, with the exception of the six week government shutdown and the weakness we saw at the end of twenty twenty five, And they're squarely focused on what they should be focused on. And I agree that the neutral rate is actually likely higher than what they thought it was. There were some that were moving there prior to this meeting as well, which means that in and of itself suggests they should have a higher short term rate. And on top of that we may need another hike as well. I still expect two hikes by year end.
Speaker 5: Wow, Diane Swank, thank you so much. Two rate hikes by year end. Can you imagine what that would do to market.
Speaker 6: So there are a couple of dots that point towards that direction, but the majority see one.
Speaker 5: Do you see that in any capacity to rate high this year?
Speaker 1: I think it's possible, you do, absolutely. There's a lot of underlying growth and cap X in the economy, and we don't know whether the Middle East will be worked out. It's certainly not impossible.
Speaker 5: Joining us now.
Speaker 4: As Mattlazetti of Deutsche Bank, who's had a few minutes to look through this statement, what's.
Speaker 5: Your first reaction?
Speaker 8: Matt, Yeah, I think this was towards the hawkish end of what we could have expected. The two things that I was focused on ahead of the meeting were one, how.
Speaker 9: Many dots we're going to show hikes this year?
Speaker 8: You have half of the dots, nine of them showing rate hikes, six of them is showing fifty basis points or more of rate hikes. That has to be towards the hawkish end of expectations. The second thing, and what drives the hawkishness in the dots, is the upper division in their core inflation forecast this year they went up to three point three percent. I think really critically next year they went up to two point five percent. You have a median expectation in the committee that more than six years into the inflation shock, inflation has still not gotten down to two and a half percent and within fifty basis points of their target. That is what's driving the necessity for potentially higher rates.
Speaker 6: So one of the comments from Ira Jersey, who's our interest rate statategist here at Bloomberg Intelligence, says that Warsh's stamp on the statement seems fairly evident, with language moving closer to the style used before the global financial crisis?
Speaker 5: Is this a move to make the FED less.
Speaker 6: Transparent, Matthew, with the statement really brought down, the word count brought down and the length of it reduced to the point where this is going to be a FED that perhaps well surprise markets going forward as opposed to really calming them into submission.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I don't think that we learned too much about that from the statement today. I think the reality is that there was a lot of superfluous content in the statement. There was a fourth paragraph that has been in there really since the COVID shock and was probably unnecessary from that perspective, But it is clear we're just going to get less information in the statement. It'll be interesting to see how much additional information Wash provides us in the press conference. He's been both critical of Ford guidance, so I don't think that we get much more of that, But he's also been critical of data dependency. So the ultimate question is what do we hear from him about at the press conference.
Speaker 9: That's still an unknown from the market's perspective, what's the one.
Speaker 6: Thing you want to hear from him?
Speaker 8: So I think I'm going to piggyback on Vice cher Clarada's question from earlier, and it's a clear signal from the committee that higher rates might be needed to tame inflation. The market also believes that higher rates might be needed to tame inflation. We know that he didn't submit a dot yet today, but does he agree with the skew and those expectations that higher rates might be needed, and if not, why does he not agree with it?
Speaker 1: Matt, don't you think that the dots give us a lot of information? Won't you be sorry to see them go? Look how we talked about the dots NonStop. We looked at the nine voters that were looking for rate hikes. I would miss them I don't know what being less transparent and more opaque actually does for the markets or for the FED.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I don't know that I'll miss the dots. To be honest, Bob, I think too much focus is put on them. I'm sure cher Wassh is going to mention that as well. I think ultimately, over time they will go away. I think WASH doesn't think that they serve a good purpose of actually providing meaningful forward guidance. I think they think that it's too precise, the market focus is too much on it and not the uncertainty bands around it. So eventually I think that they will go I think we'll be left with an SEP that shows the central tendency on FED funds rate expectations, shares the range on FED funds rate expectations, and that gives us the sense of overall where the trajectory of policy is going to be without kind of catalyzing us around one imprecise estimate from the median Matt.
Speaker 4: Even if Kevin O Worsh doesn't want to talk that much, the FED chair can't muzzle everybody else, and there is a risk that potentially everybody else will talk a lot and give their perspective and set the oxygen away from him who's not saying very much. I mean, at what point do we end up in that type of scenario if the press conference holds true to what we're seeing at least in the statement.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think it could be over the next week.
Speaker 8: I mean, if we don't hear very much from Chair Washed today, I would expect that we do hear a lot from other committee members over the next week. It's a very strong signal from the dot plot and the SEP that higher rates might be needed, and so I would expect that we hear from a number of those committee members. But exactly because of that, I actually don't expect thatsh gives up his opportunity to do the press conference. There's some questions or speculation that he might not do a press conference after every meeting. I think he will because it at least gives him the first chance to frame the meeting today, gives him the first chance to frame that dot plot which kind of clearly skews hawkish and potentially pushed back on it if that's in fact.
Speaker 9: What he wants.
Speaker 4: Bob, who would you listen to on the FMC if FED Chair worsh takes a backseat to communication.
Speaker 1: Listened to Waller. I think Waller to us was somebody who is very reasonable, very rational, is very balanced, looks at the full picture. He would have made a very good FED chair. It didn't work out that way. Look, Kevin Walsh will be fine. He's a very credible, capabable FED governor. He didn't go in with the Dubvish bias that we all assumed he was sent in with. I'm dying to know how the President's going to react to this his first meeting. Everybody wants to now start hiking rates. That's certainly going against his thinking. But look, Warsh has proven that he's his own FED chair. He'll do what the data tells him. We're in good.
Speaker 6: Hands with him, as far as I know. We don't have any social media posting from the President yet. We'll wait to see when new FED Chair Kevin Warsh begins speaking. Going to the idea of Ford guidance, I wonder if the effectiveness of Ford guidance is asymmetrical, Bob, I asked because Rick Reader of Blackrock says that you want to over communicate when you are loose, when you're tightening policy, but you want a surprise when you loosen, because it's more effective.
Speaker 5: That way packs more of a punch. What do you think, I.
Speaker 1: Don't think so. It reminds me of the years when the European central banks used to ambush the market and come in and create a shot one way. It was very disruptive to the markets. I don't think it accomplished anything other than create losses in some areas, and it wasn't sustainable over time. I think we're in a world where there's a lot of information, there's a lot going on. The complexity of what the Fed has to deal with is real. They have a lot of tools at their disposal which didn't exist pre COVID or pre GFC. I want to know how they're thinking about them. I want to see detailed forecasts. I want to know what direction they're moving in. Yeah. I may agree, I may not. It's not a big deal one way or another other than it just gives us more information.
Speaker 4: Matt, do you think that there's plausible deniability? Potentially you have a fetcher that says you can't say it's hawkish.
Speaker 5: I just didn't say.
Speaker 8: I think maybe he takes that tack, but I think he's going to have to present an alternative case at this point because the case that is presented by the forecast and the doss at this point is clearly hawkish, and so if he's not in line with that view, I think he'll have to present an alternative case.
Speaker 9: At this point.
Speaker 8: There's not a kind of a plausible or realistic alternative case I think. I think you have an economy where the labor market is strengthening, it's at worst stabilizing, at best reaccelerating. You have inflation which is entrenched at elevated levels. It's broad based. It is not simply about tariff's any longer. Your financial conditions at very easy levels. You see growth is actually solid, as we saw with today's retail sales report, and we've argued in recent research reports that the FED very likely could be accommodative at this point in time. So I don't actually see the strong case to push back against it, but he would have to present that case if that's in fact how it feels.
Speaker 4: Matthew Lizzetti of Deutsche Bang, thank you so much and look forward to catching you in the weeks after the press conference, Bob. Just about two and a half minutes to go before we hear from FED share Kevin Warsh, What are you expecting as we see two year yields now nine basis points high? Are with people really surprised by the hawkish tilt?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and again. And I think Diane said it, you know, she kind of expected it. Maybe we should have expected it. We all thought it was coming in two or three meetings from now, not this one. So clearly the market's telling you it didn't expect it. For me, the question for Warsh is removing the dots. Isn't a regime change that's part of it. What is it that he finds most outdated about the Fed's framework and how would he go about changing it? The dots are just one component of what bothers him.
Speaker 4: Yes, also the balance sheet, also when it comes to just how liquid some of these instruments have actually been. Bob Michael, thank you so much for being with us. It is always a pleasure having you in studio.
Speaker 5: Scarlett.
Speaker 4: We are awaiting Fedchair Kevin Warsh to step to the podium for the first time as head of the US Central Bank, the central bank.
Speaker 5: To the world.
Speaker 4: This is the fifth central banker, the fifth FED Chair going back in the past forty years, and clearly he is putting a stamp on the institution.
Speaker 6: And a lot of people say he's going back to the Alan Greenspan era where you don't say a lot and you kind of keep the market guessing, rather than what Ben Bernanke ushered him, which is more transparency, and Jerome Pale kind of took that to new levels as well. It's worth noting here that not only our yields higher, stocks are lower. You've got the S and P five hun hundred down six tens of one percent, the NAZAC as well. The President, of course is in Europe right now, has not, as far as we know, given any kind of comment. He had just praised the stock market, saying it was the most brilliant thing and smarter than anyone else. So we'll wait to see how this all plays out over the next thirty forty minutes.