Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, Radio News.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Daybreak Asia podcast. I'm Doug Prisner. It was a mixed day for the US equity market in front of the Independence Day holiday. On one hand, we had the Dow jumping by more than one percent to a record high fifty two nine hundred. However, the semiconductor stocks were in retreat. We had the Philadelphia Semiconductor Index down for a second straight session, falling on Thursday by more than five percent. For a look at some of the price section we are seeing in the APAC region, I'm joined by Bloomberg Charlotte Young. Charlotte is Asia Equities reporter and she joins from our studios in Hong Kong. Thank you for being here. Talk to me a little bit about what you're seeing on fold today, particularly given the weakness in the chip stocks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so this this morning was seeing a really choppy session on Korea and Japan stocks. They open slightly higher, but then quickly raised all that gangs. So for careers cost being decks, they actually win over two percent at one point, but then quickly rebounded again. So I think this kind of shows you a little I think there is a sense of nervousness with treated that everybody is now digesting those headlines, especially the one earlier this week about around matter planning a cloud business. You saw a computing power that's really causing a lot of concerns over this AI over capacity built up. But then there's also people are still digesting this, so there is a little bit I think lack of conviction right now. But on the other hand, it was really interesting that you're seeing retail investors again instead of stepping up to buy the dips both yesterday and today, while offer investors having selling.
Speaker 2: So next week we have the preliminary earnings from Samsung, and today a very interesting press report in the Information I don't know whether you saw this, Anthropic is in talks with Samsung to be a man facturer partner for a custom AI chip. Now, in the last week, we had this announcement in South Korea that Samsung and sk Heinix we're going to be spending more than five hundred billion US to build up more capacity for these high bandwidth memory chips, which as you know well, are in high demand given this AI buildout. Talk to me a little bit about what we're expecting from Samsung next week, so there's.
Speaker 3: A lot of attention on Samsund's pulmonary second quarter results next week. It doesn't provide any segment breakdown of business guidance. With that said, I think all the tension will be focused on second quarter operating profit, so Boombay Intelligence expecting it to be slightly exceed on consensus given the strong memory chip burnings despite the have that special bonus payments.
Speaker 2: We also have sk Heinix in the news. So I mentioned kind of the capex announcement earlier in the week, and I also want to point out that the South Korean government is very much involved in this initiative. But in the coming week, we're going to have ADRs trading for sk Heinex for the US market. Is that right?
Speaker 3: Yes, So, esk Heinex ADR listing is expected to happen next Friday. The company is looking to raise twenty nine billion dollars. This is a really big deal for eskhex in that and now that now offers with the ADR listing, it now offers global investors easy access to buy the shares. So before the ADRs, a lot of the investors, for example, if they're based in Hong Kong and they don't have direct trading idea with the career stock exchange, they have to go through the banks, the trading decks to use equity swapsually that's the main way people do it. But now with ADRs, people can just easily access it. There is some expectation that this will help boost eskahex valuations. While there is also a key issue that is unresolved at the stage, which is people the funngability issue, whether that ADRs can be easily transferred into the local shies and vice versa. So the fundability issues something people are still trying to figure out. But with that said, the ADR listing is the one key thing to watch for how much I think I s Kahanis valuations can go.
Speaker 2: Let's talk a little bit about what you're seeing right now with the smaller suppliers that kind of are a part of the supply chain for semiconductor stocks, those suppliers that are Chinese based. Talk to me a little bit about what you're seeing in the price section there and some of the story that's connected with that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So earlier this year, I would say one of the biggest bry spot in the Chinese aial market is those hardware names, and usually it's vary in those niche corners that nobody has paid attention before, you know, whether that is about like optical makers or like making MLCC these names that investors usually before wouldn't look at. But because the now they offer the most eract exposure to the broader chips psycho story and then they are they're really seeing real earnings upgrade. So there's been a lot of excitement also flows going into there. Uh just this week they've also been seeing some of the sell off, just as the global uh textile off. Investors are kind of partterning a little bit there. But with that set, I think so far, if you other strategies about China, the key thing they're still stressing about is this AI AI semiconductor psycho and how the hardware names still have a lot of optimists on that. And also with CXMT, which is China's I think memory chip maker Crown DREWNE is about is expected to list soon. We don't have the fixed day yet, there are some chatters that they could becoming, you know, later this month. China's memory chip maker Crown CXMT is expected to list soon in on the onshore market or we don't have the fixed day yet, but some chatters are talking about it to be later this month. That's definitely the key, key thing everybody's watching. And also how they could read a cross for the career memory chip makers as well. So the Chinese name, even though their technology is not as advanced as as Kinex or Samsung. But the now right now is that if they get a lot of if they were able to raise a lot of money from the equity market, they can instead put it back into the R and D and all those big capital expenditure and that could help them catch up as a career makers.
Speaker 2: Okay, Charlotte, thank you so very much. We'll leave it there, Bloomberg Charlotte Young. She joins from Hong Kong. She covers the Asia Equity Markets Force. Joining us here on the Daybreak Asia podcast. Welcome back to the Daybreak Asia Podcast. I'm deg Krisner. Samsung will be reporting preliminary earnings next week on Thursday. The tech news outlet the Information Report it Anthropic is talking with Samsung about being a manufacturing partner for a custom AI chip, and that's where we begin our conversation with Bob O'Donnell Bob as president and chief analyst at TECHnalysis Research. He spoke with Bloomberg TV host sharing how.
Speaker 1: Does this meaningfully change the market if this more custom chips come to play, are they a meaningful threat to Nvidia and the likes of chip makers or are we just going to see more specialized chips.
Speaker 4: I think we're just going to see more specialized chips, to be honest with you, Sherry. I mean, look, there is such demand for different types of architectures. And one of the interesting things that we're seeing that's driving this movement towards specialization is the fact that we're seeing companies trying to figure out how can they reduce the cost and increase the efficiency of how they generate tokens for all the queries that we're doing in all the agents that people are running, and so what they've realized is they can break it up into different chunks or disaggregate. That's what everybody calls it these days, is disaggregation. And what they're figuring out is different aspects of those workloads require different types of computing. So you're going to see companies say, aha, I'm going to work on prefill or I'm going to do the decode portion. I'm going to do this part of the inference workload. There's still the training workloads as well. So all of what is to say, a lot of different ways to look at this problem, but a lot of different ways for companies to come up with creative and differentiated ways to solve this because at the end of the day, look, people want to be able to generate more AI tokens to fulfill like I said, all these inquiries to let all the agents do the work they want to do, and they want to do it cost efficiently, so they can actually start making.
Speaker 1: Certain when they partner with these facts are making ready to be clear A yeah, to be fair, right, I mean they are helping in the manufacturing process. I mean, Samson could partner up with Anthropic. But when it comes to choosing those partners, does it make a difference who they are and what sort of facilities they have like Samson for example, full Stock memory founder, advanced packaging.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean all of those things matter.
Speaker 4: I mean, look, we all know there's only a couple of places they can go, Right, You're gonna go to TSMC, You're gonna go to.
Speaker 5: Samsung, and maybe you'll go to Intel.
Speaker 4: But really, I mean, there's not a whole lot of choices when we're talking, you know, the most advanced silicon. So look, it's a great win if Samsung gets this. We've seen some other companies showing interest in getting access to Samsung. Part of it is because TSMC is completely sold out, right, I mean, so look, you've got to go where there's availability.
Speaker 5: To manufacture these chips.
Speaker 4: So that's all part of the game as well, is just figuring out where that capacity is available.
Speaker 1: But then again, you can make your own, right, You have the likes of these hyperscalers now coming up with custom chips. So is this eventually a threat down the line when it comes to a few years from now.
Speaker 4: Well no, but I mean again, all of those guys, all the hyperscalers, again, they're doing the same thing that anthropics trying to do that met has talked about doing. Everybody is again looking at how can I do my own custom silicon to allow me to do these different types of workloads more efficiently, and everybody has different ideas on the way to approach it. But again, when it comes to the actual manufacturing, they don't have a lot of choice.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you mentioned Meta, we are also hearing that they want to sell AI computing capacity, the same thing that Softbak seems to be doing or Xai. Why is this important for them and does that give you sort of a picture of the capacity and the need to start monetizing at this point?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean what's interesting with the Meta news is it shows the fact that AI compute supply and demand are completely out of whack. Some people have more than they need and a lot of people have less than they need, and so it's all about kind of trying to balance that out. Meta made a bunch of early bets to get as much capacity as they could, and it turns out that they're not using all of that capacity. So they think, all right, we can be kind of like a neocloud, just like Xai did last week, and say we're going to sell some of that excess capacity. And there are plenty of people willing to do it, and in point of fact, it's proving to be.
Speaker 5: A very profitable business model.
Speaker 4: Now there are questions longer term, like is this something they're just doing to kind of spice up the stock for a year or two That could be the case, but Meta does have a lot of capacity also being built, so they're looking ahead and saying, Okay, we think we're going to need this, and we know we're going to have this much capacity, So it looks like we've got a little bit left and the market seems to react very favorably to selling this stuff. We can make really great margins with it, so why.
Speaker 1: Not I mean great for the big guys. What happens to the smaller guys? Right, we're talking about core wave anebias as well. I mean, are we going to see this stack in divergence of winners and losers?
Speaker 4: Well, it's a great question, but I look, I still see think overall, I said, the supply and demand rod of wack. But overall, if you look at the picture, based on all the data that I can see, demand is still significantly higher than supply. So it's just a question of how people are.
Speaker 5: Moving these things around.
Speaker 4: I think certainly in the near term there's still plenty of opportunity for the core weaves and the other neoclouds that are out there, because again people are looking for capacity. Also, remember there are hundreds thousands of different companies looking for compute resources it may be that you see the core weaves and the other neoclouds focus on say smaller vendors or more specialized types of applications, and the metas only sell to one or two people a couple of the big guys right some of their coopetitions. So I think you're going to see a lot of diversity in who sells to whom, and that still gives plenty of opportunity because again, fundamentally, there's still plenty of room for people to grow, which is why, by the way, I didn't get to it, but Nvidia, I think still has plenty of room to grow even with all this competition because of the overall demand just raises all boats.
Speaker 1: Well, then before we let you go, I mean, how bad is the memory shortage? Right now, we're hearing that Apple is considered in Chinese suppliers that are on a black list from the Pentagon.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, the Apple thing is interesting because what Apple said is, look, we want to use the Chinese memory suppliers for all the products we ship into China, which you know makes logical sense. I mean, Apple needs a ton of memory, and if they can use all the existing memory they have for the US and Europe and other markets, and then get access to Chinese memory for the China market, that tremendously relieves you know, the challenges that they're facing. I mean, we already saw the big price increases. I don't think those things are going to go away. I think that's basically where the world is going to be. And my expectation is when the new iPhones come out, they may not raise the current iPhone price. When the new ones come out, they're going to be at a higher price point because of how bad the memory crunch is for everybody, including Apple.
Speaker 2: That was Bob o'donald, President and chief analyst at Tech Analysis Research, speaking with Bloomberg TV host Sherry on bringing you their conversation here on the Daybreak Asia Podcast. Thanks for listening to today's episode of the Bloomberg Daybreak Asia Edition podcast. Each weekday, we look at the story shaping markets, finance, and geopolitics in the Asia Pacific. You can find us on Apple, Spotify, the Bloomberg Podcast YouTube channel, or anywhere else you listen. Join us again tomorrow for insight on the market moves from Hong Kong to Singapore and Australia. I'm Doug Chrisner, and this is Bloomberg.