Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying that's the case. Now. These markets may go on forever. Maybe we finally found Arouna. But I'll tell you my view of whatever it's worth. I think one has to think very carefully about what you think the risks, quire what do you think the rewards are, and try to make reasonable judgments. And I'm not protecting it in any way what the markets are going to do. I'm just going to say that I think that the risks are enormous, and I think, I guess I do think I do think that's not I guess I do think that the markets don't properly wait.
Speaker 1: Those So let's talk about some of the specific risks people. When the tariffs were announced on Liberation Day, April second, there was this feeling that business would collapse.
Speaker 2: It wasn't my view, but go ahead.
Speaker 1: Well, why has the market been so surprised? Why have companies been so surprised themselves? CEOs I talk to say, we've been shocked that things kind of keep going.
Speaker 2: I mean, lista, they may keep I think the tariffs are extremely unwise. I think open trade has served our country extremely well over many many, many, many decades. I do think that some caveats to that. I do think you need to protect supply change when they have their security or economic security dimensions through subsidies or trade restrictions. But having said that, beyond that, I think open trade has served us extremely well. I think tariffs will hurt us in terms of growth, and I think it's a one time increasing in costs. It's not it's not in that sense, it's not inflation, but it is a one time increasing costs. Costs to our producers will go up. That decreases their efficiency and competitiveness. It could lead I've never forgotten something poor Boker said to me. You said that inflation can take on a life of its own, and of course that was a reference inflation expectations. Maybe and maybe not. The tariffs could create a set of inflation expectations and it could lead to inflation. But whether it does or it doesn't, it almost surely will adverse the effect growth. But I for one, never thought it was gonna have an immediate impact. But I thought that the risk was over time. And I think that's the risk. And if you speak to CEOs, and you know in our firm, we do a lot of that. We have an immense business dealing with basically large corporate America. I think most CEOs, virtual CEOs. I think they're going to be passing on a lot of this in terms of prices, So cost to consumers will go up, and cost to producers who we're importing excuse me, and components will be going up.
Speaker 1: What's fascinating is when the tariffs were announced, people thought that it would be really bond negative because inflation would go up and you would see sort of this sagflation like kind of environment, and so bonds would be in a sort of quagmire, as would the FED, as would the rest of policymakers. Instead, tariffs are now treated as a positive because they are a revenue boost that will offset any deficit spend day. I could tell you agree with that.
Speaker 2: So I only disagreement because it's wrong, but go ahead.
Speaker 1: Well, so I'm just curious you know where this is getting miss understood?
Speaker 2: Well, the l Budget Lab, which is terrifically reliable and sensible about budget about the fiscal matters. I asked her the other day that one runs at Taja Sarenders, who's tended Professor Yale and terrific. Was it a PhD in economics? She told me that she suspects, she thinks that revenues will be about two point maybe twoing eighty billion a year or some number like that, which is and then and that's before the adverse effects on growth and retaliation. We take it all into account, maybe two hundred it's a very small fraction of our deficits. This is not going to be a fiscal response, and you're paying a price for it. In terms of I said, a moment ago risks to growth and at least I think the possible will certainly higher costs to consumers and the producers and possibly triggering inflationary expectations. What is it? The terriff is assuming that it gets passed on, which I if you talk to our clients, I think we're all this is going to get passed on over time. It's a regressive tax, and it's a regressive tax which has adverse effects on growth and as I say, a moment ago on inflation.
Speaker 1: So I'm trying to pair this with the idea that we're seeing mergers and acquisitions accelerate. We hear a growing number of companies talk about in corporate executives, a reacceleration in the consumer. How do these two things go together.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's complicated. When I was at Gobenzachs, we had the economists that we had terrific people strategies. They were always tell me what they thought was going to happen in the short term, and I would always say, you're very nice people, and I think that's nice for you to do, and our clients are interested, so you should do that. But I myself wouldn't raise my decisions on them things short terms and short term effects. Least it could be whatever they're going to be. The question is what's going to happen over time? And I think over time for the reasons I've said, I think tariffs are very substantial negative and I think the open traders serve with the caveats that I mentioned, I think open traders served us very well.
Speaker 1: How much are companies rethinking their US footprint in a new kind of way.
Speaker 2: Well my impression, and I get this largely speaking, I don't speak to many companies myself. Our people are just enormously plugged into corporate America. And I also have three advisory relationships with pretty substantial investment. I guess you call them funds. I think a lot of people are rethinking how much they want to be allocated in the United States. And you see it a little bit by the way the dollar. The dollar has after all suffered through this thing. I don't think too much of it has happened so far, but I think at the risks that we're taking, and I think, what's so sad to me? At least if we have such tremendous strengths, that so many advantages, and I think the damage we're doing is very substantial. Attacking our research, attacking science and basic research, attacking our universities. Immigration policy that makes no sense whatsoever. We should have an economic We should have economic particularly, we should have immigration that serves our economic needs. And then we should have at least, in my opinion, measures to deal with the currently undocumented people so they can become a are part of our economy. And if they're obviously doing adverse things or criminal, I think that's a different matter. They can we continue to prosper in our economy eventually becomes citizens. There's so much that we can do, but we're doing the opposite of all these things.
Speaker 1: There is this feeling and we're seeing this in the political sphere, And as someone who is in the Clinton administration when globalization was really taking off, I'm wondering what your perspective is on how the story of globalization is being told now and that a lot of people are saying there were a lot of people left behind and that there are some things that need to be done to remedy that.
Speaker 2: I totally agree with that. When President Clinton announced NAFTA in the East Room, I totally agree with that, Lisa, one of the things he's but I think the wrong conclusion is therefore, let's not open trading markets. I think the right conclusion is, let's do at President Clinton talked about when he announced NAFTA, but that we never were able to do politically. We lost control of the Congress and we lost the ability to do it, and that is have in place retraining, social safety nets, are greatly increased, earn income tax credit so that people with low incomes will have higher incomes and have all that to deal with job losses. And as much as that is a fun a problem with spector trade AI in my opinion, and you all have your own views, so we probably know ick a lot more about and I do, but I say I'm thinking horror for the last two years twice a week, so I kind of know something about it. I think that the potential for job loss is very substantial. And so as much as we needed that kind of an adjustment set of programs to deal with trade, and we did need that at least absolutely, and we don't have it, I think we're going to need even more to deal with AI, which.
Speaker 1: Is something that we're not hearing as much about as a lot of people think.
Speaker 2: There's no it's not part of the political dialogue, and it should be. Look, our political system is in terrible shape. And that's not a partisan comment, though I do think Trump is doing just immense damage to our country. It was econopologies and actions, but in neither party we talk about a lot of what we need to talk about, and one of the things we need to do is to do exactly what I just said, But there's no political ability to get not a lot of political focus on it, and really no political ability to get it done.
Speaker 1: Given the footprint that you have and the access to companies, do you have a of how much they plan to reduce their staff or whether they are not necessarily hiring recent college graduates as a result of their using Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: I get the question. I don't have much wisdom on that. I've asked our people that too. I mean, clearly the labor market is softened, there's no question about that. I'll give you my personal opinion whatever it's worth, but really mostly based on just what I think about AI. I think AI has the potential for tremendous positives in terms of productivity, which by the way, could be partially responsive, albeit not fully responsive to our fiscal trajectory and our trad fiscal trajectory. On multiple basis. It seems to me as a tremendous risk to our economy over time. So this can be partly respond partly responses to that productivity, increased growth, increased revenues and so forth. But I think a lot of Yeah, I do think it's going to have very substantial dub replacement fix. A lot of things that are being done now by people are going to be done by AI and AI. As you know, what is the human mind human by neural systems? Right, what is AI? AI is neural systems. And if you take AI and you pursue it, and some of you know much more badas than I do. But you pursue. You build bigger and bigger data centers and more and more capacity. You create neural systems that are able to do not only the more mundane task Lisa, but all the kinds of many of the kinds of complex thinking that were accustomed to associating with human beings. And that's that, as you know, is sort of the question of AGI in admittle. You can you can, You can define AGI a lot of different ways. I get that, But whatever you want toever you want to define it, I don't need any question that AI is moving, at least in my opinion. I may be wrong, but I don't think I'm wrong, moving very quickly toward ever more sophisticated capabilities that can more and more replicate the neural processes to the human mind.
Speaker 1: Which is the reason why when you talk to some FED officials on and off the record, more off the record, they will talk about running the economy hot or prioritizing the labor market as a way to ameliorate some of the potential job losses from AI, because it encourages companies to invest more in their workers and keeps people employed so people won't be left behind as much. I mean, do you buy into that kind of idea and sort of endorse the idea of having a more accommodative monetary policy at a time like this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I get the point, And this is good debate. This is kind of things that if you have sensible people sitting in a room, you can really discuss in very interesting ways. No, I actually don't agree with Lisa. I'm much more concerned about the possiblity of inflation. And if you run the economy too hot and you get higher rate of inflation, and that in turn has a weaker dollar and it has higher interest rates, I think that can have a lot more adverse effect than the benefits you're getting from FED funds rates being lower than whatever you think my contrue. So you might actually accomplish the opposite of what you wish. So I know, if I were at the look, nobody's going to ask me what I think at the FED. I promise you. If anybody did, I think I would say to them, you've got a duel mandate under Humphrey Hawkins, as we all know, and I would worry more about the inflationary side of that, than I would. I'd worry about both, but I'd be quite concerned about inflation.
Speaker 1: One thing, Ray Dalio is speaking earlier, and he drew the parallel to the nineteen seventies as well as the nineteen thirties, which is a little bit even more alarming. I'm just wondering, from your perspective, do you think that the nineteen seventies style inflation is the correct analog.
Speaker 2: Well, nineteen seventy is an interesting time, and that's actually what Paul Boker was talking about and I were talking about this. I don't know, probably not many of you here, well maybe none of you actually lived through the nineteen seventies. I did, and inflation took on a life of its own, Lisa. And this was Paul's point. Inflation expectations built on themselves, and once that happened, it's very very hard to deal with. And Paul's point was, and I think he's right about this, that once inflation gets going, inflation expectation just a very, very difficult to deal with. That's why if I were the FED, I'd be focused on both both aspects of my dual mandate. Humphrey Hawkins but I would be quite concerned with not allowing inflation to move in a way that is threatening.
Speaker 1: We spoke a bit ago and you said the US is still the best place to invest. Do you still feel that?
Speaker 2: Yes, I do, But it's complicated. We have such a everything a troubled about trouble is the wrong where. It is tragic what we're doing ourselves and what this administration is doing on so many dimensions in my opinion, in terms of public policy. But I think we have enormous strengths compared to others. I'm repeating myself when I know that we have flexible labor and capital markets. We have dynamic culture. We have the capital markets that are unrivaled in any place else in the world. We have great universities of now we're attacking them in the ways that are usually counterproductive in my opinion, and so much else to going up natural resources. We have so much else going our way, but we are doing a lot of damage on the Yes, I would still invest here because I think I think, Look, I think all the waing its going to depend what happens our political system, and I think sooner or later we'll come back. I hope. I hope it's a word. I think the odds are we will come back at some point to the historical system that we've had, where you have a conservative party sort of a Rottal regular as a historical conservative. You have a progressive or liberal democratic probably do you want to call it center left? I don't care, And then they have the debates and we're back where we used to be. It won't be the same, it will not be the same, but it'll be some analog to that. So I believe that's the most likely outcome. And China has a normous look. China has some great strengths and we all know that, but it also has enormous problems we also all know. And you're you know, you're From twenty nineteen to twenty twenty two, productivity in Europe group point four percent. Producting in our states were six percent. And the Mario Dragi Report, which was designed to deal I was with Marria the other day, which man aarity. I just told about this because he was in New York and we got together. If it's designed to address the productivity problems in Europe, they've done virtually nothing on it. So yeah, I'd still bet on us but I think we I've still bet on us. I'd still rather be here. I am here to my own personal resources. But but I think what we're doing to ourselves is is very seriously troubling.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of question around gold and the fact that a lot of people are going into it, and whether this is sort of a signal of something with a debasement of the dollar or of people's state of mind. What's the message, what's the signal?
Speaker 2: From the figgist notion, Look, gold has always been this sort of so called refuge from the dollar, I assume I mean from uncertainty, and uh, you know it's that thousands of years of history of that is it is the current action of gold as a signal of something. I have not the figgiest notion. I personally wouldn't own it, but that's just because I've never gold has no use value. It's only a psychological I'm not demeaning it. It's for thousands of years it's been a psychological refuge from uncertainty. But I don't know if it had I wouldn't call it how I mean, I think one could think reactionally and thoughtfully of all these things. I personally wouldn't weigh the price of gold in my thinking about what the odds are