Speaker 1: Welcome to Good Game with Sarah Spain, where we're all eyes on wings fire Tonight Dallas can clinch the final WNBA playoff spot with a dub.
Speaker 2: It's Tuesday, August.
Speaker 1: Twenty fifth, and on today's show, we're skipping the need to Know and getting straight to my conversation with author Julie Kleegman about their new book, Finding Renee Richards, The Groundbreaking Story of Tennis's trans Pioneer. We discuss how a fact checking question changed a major part of the book, the one topic Julie wishes they pushed Renee on for more answers, and how much Julian Renee differ in how they view trans identities. Plus who wore Ellie Best? Don't stop here? And friend trips and gay shit. It's all coming up right after this, Joining us now. They're the author of the new book, Finding Renee Richards, The Groundbreaking Story of Tennis's trans Pioneer, and a copy editor at Pro Public Up. They're a regular guest on podcasts, and their writing has appeared in outlets including The New York Times, Sports Illustrated, The Washington Post, The Ringer and Defector. A copy etter and copy chief at multiple outlets. They've also taught journalism to undergraduates, a Northwestern grad themselves. They also wrote mind Game and Inside look At the Mental Health Playbook of Elite Athletes. And we've both dressed up as Ellie the Elephant. It's Julie Clegman. Hi, Julie, Hi, Sarah.
Speaker 3: How's it going?
Speaker 1: I mean, I have to say my Ellie was more complete. Oh, the jersey, I had the hair, I had the full ensemble all the way down to the Jays.
Speaker 2: But your Elephant was suitable. It was good enough. Huh, Okay, serviceable. I should say.
Speaker 3: You know, in some iterations I have had a jersey and a braid. So I think you just need to catch up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, I need to do more digging.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I settled for the first Ellie, but there were multiple iterations of your Ellie journey. I'm so excited to talk about this book. I found it fascinating, and I find Renee Richard's story in general fascinating, but knew very little about it. So learning so much about her through this book was really a gift. But before we get to all the takeaways, I want to ask how you came to write it and how you earned Renees trust in order to talk to her for so much of the book.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I came to write the book because I had an assignment from another magazine called book Forum to write about a couple of Rene's memoirs, and that was basically my introduction to her. And I was like, well, if I don't know this story, who else doesn't know this story? Probably a lot of people. And so I earned her trust.
Speaker 2: I don't know. We emailed.
Speaker 3: She wrote me back like after a day to my first email, which was great. I mean, to her credit, she was so receptive to talking. We jumped on the phone, and then I went to visit her and got lunch with her and her platonic partner. I think we just kind of hit it off, and you know, I was patient. I didn't push for an immediate answer, which I think was helpful, and ultimately, I think part of it was just catching her at a good time. She was ret hiring from ophthalmology, and I think retirement is a good of time as any to reflect on your life and to talk to someone about.
Speaker 2: It well, and certainly not the first time.
Speaker 1: And you benefited from the fact that there is a ton of source material in the form of previous books Second Serve nineteen ninety nine spy Night Renee as someone who has spoken a lot about her life and career and journey, and being able to pull from all that also offered you a lot of insight to how she felt about things in that time as opposed to now, or how her opinions and feelings changed over the years. So it was really really helpful to have you be able to pull from all that source material. You know, I wonder as someone whose fame was mostly gone by the seventies, which was well before you were even born, but as a non binary trans person, why going backwards into discovering and understanding her life was so meaningful to you.
Speaker 3: I think a lot of people think that the trans athlete debate we're having sort of came out of nowhere, and I knew that wasn't the case because I had heard of her, and I think going back is really important to understand what she faced at the time, and that's important from a historical perspective. It was also important to me as a trans person, just because there are so few trans athletes that we can learn from and who have competed at such a high level. As Renee has, and that meant a lot to me. Whether or not she's a perfect, you know, kind of spokeswoman for the trans rights movement, which I think she would be the first to admit she is not. It's still, yeah, important to understand people in all their complexities, and I really appreciated that part of this process.
Speaker 1: And I frankly did not know much about what it would be like to be trans and to transition and get the advice and help of psychologists and medical professionals and everybody else at that time, So that was really fascinating too. To your point, as a spokesperson for the trans community, not only is she unwilling or uninterested in being that, but there is so much what feels like internalized homophobia and transphobia to her. That is such a bigger part of this story that I want to get into. And that also played into how you wrote about her, and it went against the guidelines for writing about a trans person, And can you take me to those conversations and the battle that you had with what you felt was the right way to write about her transition and her life as Renee, and how she wanted you.
Speaker 2: To talk about her sort of duality.
Speaker 3: So for those who may not know, in journalism, when you're writing about a trans person, similar to if you're talking about a trans person in real life, you want to use their current name and their current pronouns, regardless of how they identified or what they called themselves in the past. So that was the approach I had taken into writing this book, and that was how the first draft of this book was set up. And it wasn't until a fact checking conversation with Renee where I ran through all these questions I had for her, and then kind of at the end of I was like, by the way, this is how I'm referring to you. And I guess part of me knew that she might have an issue with that, or I wouldn't have said anything. She really really had a problem with me using Renee, and she her to refer to her experiences pre transition. So she's like, how would it make sense to say that she pitched a high school baseball game, for example, And so I think that's a really interesting divide. Part of it is generational. I think I'm so much younger than her and norms have really changed a lot since her heyday, And the other part of it is just her identity and how she sees herself and how she saw herself as Dick Raskind wrestling with Renee Richards emerging, and the push pull of those two identities as she saw them.
Speaker 1: I think it works really well understanding the guidelines and knowing them, and yet in reading it does give a little bit of clarity, especially in the way she viewed to your point, Renee sort of like pushing back, coming back over and over again and insisting that she was the real identity that needed to be acknowledged and fed in a way, and that's easier to sort of display when you write about it the way you did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's fascinating.
Speaker 1: You know. I read an interview you did about the book and you said, I want readers to wrestle with the complexities of a prominent transfigure who holds views that may be uncomfortable, and to acknowledge that a trans elder came up in a different time, dealt with everything in a different time, and might have a different belief system because of that time. Is complicated, but doesn't mean that their story should be discarded.
Speaker 2: It can still be discussed.
Speaker 1: And the way you do that by inserting yourself as the author occasionally is really useful because it doesn't just acquiesce to her desire, it acknowledges it and also provides the context and nuance required to understand why other people might not believe the same or agree with that, and it really makes for a really fascinating read. I want to get to a little bit of her bio before we get into some of the takeaways, So for those who aren't super familiar with the arc of her life, I'd love for listeners to get a little bit of a big picture bio from you, of course.
Speaker 3: So, Renee Richards is a transgender woman who transitioned in the mid seventies, and she had played tennis as a man when she was identifying as Dick Raskind in New York growing up, and she was a pretty good male amateur player. This was before the Open era, so she didn't turn professional playing against men, but she transitioned moved out to California because at the time, when you transition, that was just sort of what was done, is like you would kind of start over in a different area. And by the way, Renee is French for reborn, so that plays into it too. So she's in California and she's playing tennis and she gets outed by Tucker Carlson's dad, who was a TV reporter.
Speaker 2: That through line really sings.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, and that's how she starts playing tennis under the name Renee Richards and she becomes famous as she sues for her right to play in the nineteen seventy seven US Open and she wins.
Speaker 1: Okay, I want to go back to the youth because there's a fascinating dynamic between Renee and her sister and mother and also father. And you even acknowledged that Renee thinks about nature versus nurture in the case of her being trans that, yeah, she acknowledges that you could try to create a line from the treatment that she received from her mom and sister to her decision to transition, But that there are so many trans people who don't have to do any of that searching into a childhood to find something that might be a provocative moment. They just are trans. They were always trans and it has nothing to do with that. Can you share some of those stories from being a kid, and particularly at that time, how many people probably would have seen that as the root quote unquote cause of Renee's decision to transition from a very young age.
Speaker 3: Rene's mother and sister kind of forcibly addressed her in women's clothes. They thought it was cute and funny. There was a really memorable Halloween where they dressed Dick raskind up as a little girl and she, I guess passed at a Halloween party. And at the same time, Renee was feeling this sense of shame because she felt like the whole world could see her and knew that she was part of her at least was at peace with this this costume, this attire. Josephine, Renee's sister, was by Renee's account, abusive at times. And by the way, I couldn't talk to Josephine for the book, she has dementia, as I understand it. So yeah, there's this really complex family dynamic where her sister is occasionally her abuser, and her mother is very overpowering, definitely runs the household. Her dad is by all accounts more mild mannered and kind of takes a back seat, but loves her very much. And so yeah, there's this question of nature versus nurture for and also for the doctors and psychological professionals she'd go on to see, and I think at the time it was the common wisdom that this experience is what led to Renee's transgender or at the time transsexual identity.
Speaker 1: Dick Raskin was what Renee was called as a youth, and David was her dad, and Renee trying to reconcile some of those youthful experiences with also what was usually a mild mannered father, except for when it came to things like sports.
Speaker 2: Right, right.
Speaker 1: So, one of the quotes from the book, Renee said, when I would lose my father especially would let me know how disappointed and ashamed of me he was, and immediately this would trigger in me a period of doing a lot of dressing up in women's clothes. If I can't be a successful boy, I'll be a girl. That's something Renee Richards told a previous biographer, and that sort of thing too, of even Renee associating failures as a quote unquote man, which is not really what was happening. If you lose the tennis match, it's not failing to be a man, that's just losing a sport. But with the desire to then get further away from that identity is another kind of like young through line. You know, that this idea of escaping from things by leaning into the part of herself that she sometimes didn't want to acknowledge but was unavoidable and kept coming back.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Absolutely, I mean there are a couple of through lines through her life, especially the first half of it. One is tennis being a refuge for her. But yeah, when that failed, she would kind of sink deeper into the Renee side of this stick raskin personality, I guess, and dress up more so it was an outlet in a way, even if she would rather it didn't exist at all.
Speaker 1: One of the most fascinating things in this whole book, as I alluded to earlier, is what it feels like internalized transphobia for Renee. She is of the belief that there is a life as Dick and a life as Renee, and there is no transition, there's no moment of in between. She actually says, my identity has always been from Dick to Renee. Whether you think of Dick as ultramasculine partially masculine, or Renee as ultra feminine partly feminine, whatever it doesn't make any difference. There was Dick, there was Renee. You can attach any kind of sexual ranking, label, profile to each person, but not trans. Trans to me is in between, and I was never essentially trans. How did you reconcile that belief that it was a switch almost that flipped from one to the other and never an in between.
Speaker 3: Well, it's a little weird for me because as a non binary person, I kind of relish that in between. So that's one way in which we see trans identity as being super different. I wouldn't say Renee has a great understanding of it means to be non binary. And I'm also, to be fair, not sure how well I was able to articulate that to someone who has such a binary understanding of gender.
Speaker 1: Right, and she's in her nineties now we should remind folks. I guess they're unaware of how old she is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so I think it was interesting comparing views like that. And Yeah, it was to the point where she even didn't like saying, yeah, I am a trans woman. She prefers to say I'm a woman, which is certainly her prerogative, but I think it's at odds with a lot of the way that trans people talk about their identities today.
Speaker 1: I've never had this conversation with someone, and I'm curious about that, because trans women are women. Do you feel like the trans is necessary or does it make sense that she would say, I am not trans anything.
Speaker 2: I'm a woman. That's who I am.
Speaker 1: That's how I've always known my identity, and that's how I present. Where is the trans in me being a woman at this point?
Speaker 3: Right? I think that's such a fair question, and I would say that at the time that she was growing up, it makes a lot of sense that she never wanted to identify with the trans label, because the whole goal at that time, and you know it still is today for some people, was to pass in the gender you felt like you were right, and so that was how you avoided discrimination and prejudice. So it makes total sense to me that she doesn't want to be seen as like other Attaching the label trans wasn't a means of identifying with a community as it is for me. Yeah, for her, it was something to avoid.
Speaker 1: I wonder if also, and you obviously would know better, but maybe embracing the trans word means embracing being part of the in between and that's not of interest to her. She hopes that people don't see her that way, and that's part of that internalized transphobia throughout.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's exactly right. And I guess for me, I wish she could embrace the joy that comes with being trans, or that at least can come with being trans, despite all of the hardship we face at times. But you know, it's how she identifies. She's like we said in her nineties, I don't think this vio is going to change, and I think that's okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you mentioned she was forced to come out publicly. Tucker Carlson's dad, Richard Carlson described as a scoop hungry, award winning San Diego broadcast journalist intent on uncovering what he'd heard about this sort of mysterious tennis player. And I wonder if you think that Renee would have pursued professional tennis anyway, or do you think the fact that she was outed meant that she didn't have to consider hiding in tennis because originally she wanted to play in club tournaments.
Speaker 2: She wanted to compete, but wanted.
Speaker 1: To do so while being able to live this new life undiscovered Once she's outed, it's like, well, I'm out. Should I just keep playing and at the highest level I can find? Do you think that would have happened anyway?
Speaker 3: Renee doesn't like being told no, So I think it's no surprise that once she was out in and there were all these questions about whether she would be eligible to play in the Open. I think once that happened, she was like dead set on, like now I must play in the Open. But if she hadn't been outed, I don't know. I mean, it seems kind of inevitable to me that she would have been outed eventually, if not then and there by that person, then by someone else, because she really just couldn't resist playing tennis, which is such an understandable impulse because, like I said, like that had been her comfort area growing up and something she had loved throughout her life as Dick and as Renee. So to lose that I think would have been near impossible for her, and it also would have been near impossible to conceal her identity right forever.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, and not even to lose it wholeheartedly, but not to keep pursuing it at the highest levels, like that competitive side of it was very important, the winning of it, not just the playing of it. The push and pull is so dominant in her life. I mean that language sounded very similar to the language around her saying I want everyone to know my opinion on this, but I don't want anyone to come and ask me about it. Right Like throughout there these moments where she wants to be a voice on things but also doesn't want anyone to come ask her about them. And it's that sort of like she can't resist the ophthalmology side of things. I did not know, and not just that I knew that she was a doctor, but that so celebrated, so accomplished, and the success that she had as an ophthalmologist before moving to California post transition and deciding to really get into tennis, and then going back to ophthalmology all the way up until she was basically eighty years old. And it inspired a headline that you mentioned in the book, Doc.
Speaker 2: Says, do as I say, not as I do.
Speaker 1: And it comes back to the very personally curious person that she is deeply excavating her own feelings about identity and herself, but largely uneducated, unexplored person when it comes to other people's journeys with identity and gender, and I wonder if you ever pushed back on that or asked her why the exceptions were for herself and for those she knew quite well, and not for others.
Speaker 3: Yeah, honestly, that's an area where I wish I had pushed a little bit more. And how she views other people, especially other trans people. I think she is someone who has some trouble thinking outside of herself and her own experiences, and I think there are understandable reasons for that. She's been through so much, and at the end of the day, I think it can be kind of exhausting to consider everything you've been through and also stay open minded to how other people's experiences may have been different. But yeah, I mean, I also think part of this is like her doctor brain, because she is like, well, in my mind, the research is settled, and the research shows that trans athletes have unfair advantages, and if she had known that, she wouldn't have pursued the lawsuit. Of course, we knew very little about this at the time. There was no research on trans athletes. Even now, there's very little research on trans athletes, and I should say it's far from a settled issue. There's no conclusion that trans women and girls have serious, real tangible advantages over cisgender women and girls. But I think in her mind she has decided the issue is settled, and therefore, you know, she thinks. There's a quote in the book about how trans women might have to accept that there are women in ninety nine percent of respects, but not that last little one percent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she says, I think maybe the transgenders, which of course is her language, should be happy that they can live their lives in socially accepted realms as women and not insist on being allowed every privilege of their newly arrived sex.
Speaker 2: And I say that as the.
Speaker 1: One person in the world who did insist on being allowed the privileges of her new sex. I'm the incarnate of that person. But I'm saying to you that I'm not so sure that's correct anymore. And I'm thinking that maybe transgenders should be satisfied with being maybe ninety nine percent a woman, but competitive sports being the one percent not allowed. And this is the crux of it is the doctor says, do as I say.
Speaker 2: Not as I do, right, ye?
Speaker 1: And I wonder what the impact of elder trans folks who have established names, whether that's Renee Richards or Caitlin Jenner, there are very few but their word. Along with folks like Martina and Avratilova who you spoke with for the book, who are anti trans inclusion, I wonder how you reflect on the outsized impact of their words because of their established agency and voices and profiles, and how it might conflict with the generations below that have a very different idea of what it is to be trans and trans inclusion.
Speaker 3: I think it's really hard having those most recognizable names be anti trans inclusion in sports, because I think there are younger generations of trans athletes. Chris Moser comes to mind, the trans masculine do athlete. He's great, but his name doesn't have the same cachet as Renees or Caitlin's, And yeah, that's a little bit of a shame. And at the same time, we're like quashing future generations of trans athletes by not letting them have the chance to even compete. So it's like, who are even going to be the authority figures on this issue going forward? It's hard to say because there simply aren't gonna be future trans athletes unless we really change course here and take it more seriously.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you talk about in the book how this book is not about fighting the fight for trans inclusion in sport. It's really just a story of a person and those issues are tentacles from that. But you do mention that the acceptance that Renee found in tennis and in medicine likely wouldn't happen today. And even the thirty for thirty that ESPN did it twenty eleven, the film was called Rene, the tone around transathletes was completely different. And one thing that you mentioned that this is gonna be a little bit spicy, but I'm curious of your take on it. I in no way endorse the criticisms of quote unquote woke as something that turned people away. I consider myself quite woke. I think the rewriting on that is being done in terms of what feels politically advantageous as opposed to people's true feelings about the issues at hand, and also a very short term memory about the battles that were being fought that were very valid. But that being said, one thing you write is that the tone around transathletes was ignorant, but there was casual acceptance modeled throughout the film the twenty eleven Thirty for thirty. It was years before Martina and Abertilova's He'll Turn. Richard's friends shared slightly off color opinions and giggled about the side of her addresses, but they also clearly loved her despite what they saw as her quirks or neurosis. And I wonder if the chiding of how to embrace and love a trans person turned people away, and again that that is not an excuse for them, and I hate when people make this argument. I just wonder if at the time, when it was a loose appreciation and love without fully understanding, if that allowed more people in Because now, if Renee's friends were kind of making fun of her, we would be so mad about that, rightfully so. And yet is it hard for people, even Renee Richards herself of a different time, to really understand the nuances And is that grace the only way to get more people to be accepting.
Speaker 3: That's really interesting. So I think that a lot of people who are cis gender and maybe aren't used to exhibiting trans allyship, they have this fear sometimes that if they use the wrong prone once or say the wrong thing once that they're going to be vilified totally cast aside. I don't think that's actually the case for like most people. I think trans people are happy when they see someone trying and caring, right, and that doesn't mean always being one hundred percent. I think there is this fear that grows of like, if I'm not the perfect trans ally, then should I be a trans ally at all? And I don't really understand that logic myself, but I think there is something to what you were saying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's an intentional fear mongering on the side that wants there to be less allyship. If they can convince you that you have to be perfect or don't show up. It's easy to not show.
Speaker 3: Up, right, That's true, Yeah.
Speaker 1: And so I get that that's scary, But also it's the same thing as every other person of privilege, which is you do the work to show up in the right way. Don't expect that people who are marginalized to do it all the time. And it's shocking to think that the seventies would be a better time for someone to compete and live as a transperson potentially than in some of the ways that it's changed to now when you're looking at what you hope to achieve with this book, what did you learn from her and what do you want others to learn.
Speaker 3: I think I learned, or really had hammered home, that trans people are messy, and that's okay, and that's beautiful, and we all disagree about everything sometimes, and I just want people to come away with an understanding of her beyond the headlines. If you even knew the headlines going in which a lot of people, especially my age and younger may not have known. It's a good practice reading the book, hopefully and cultivating some empathy for trans people, trans elders specifically, and even more specifically for Nay Richards, and you know, cultivating an appreciation of her life story, and hopefully I give some clues toward understanding how we're in this mess we're in now.
Speaker 1: And do you have any hopes for how this might land today in a sports environment that's so riddled with transphobia and so many of the bad faith protect women's sports groups out there.
Speaker 3: It's a little hard because I don't really expect people in those camps to read this and take it seriously.
Speaker 2: But you could have stopped it read.
Speaker 3: Probably yes, But I do hope for anyone who might have actual good faith questions about trans athletes, I hope they can learn something and I hope it's a good history lesson for anyone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, thanks so much for coming on to talk about it. Really appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Sarah, Thanks again to Julie for taking the time, and don't forget. You can now watch full length Good Game interviews on the Iheartwomen's Sports YouTube channel.
Speaker 2: We have to take another break. When we come back.
Speaker 1: Grab your favorite power straits.
Speaker 2: We're going to Portland. Welcome back, slices.
Speaker 1: We love that you're listening, but we want you to get in the game every day too. So here's our good game play of the day by Julie's book Finding Renee Richards, which is out now.
Speaker 2: We'll put a link in the show notes.
Speaker 1: We always love to hear from you, so hit us up on email Good Game at wondermedianetwork dot com or leave us a voicemail at eight seven two two O four fifty seventy and don't forget to subscribe. Rate and review slices. It's easy watch GAYFC rating three gay couples and two power Straights. Review Slice Al reached out to tell me they'd be in Portland last weekend when I was there, but not for the epicenter of women's sports summit for their annual GAYFC trip.
Speaker 2: No, not BAFC. GAYFC.
Speaker 1: Three gay couples and two power streets who ditched their husbands hitting the road to catch a couple women's sporting events. Last year the group did the Bay Area one day double Valkyrie's and BAFC, and this year they did back to back Portland Thorns and fire Games. Seven folks from Boise, one from Vegas, all converging on Portland to take in some sports. Take this as you're signed to plan your own.
Speaker 2: Women's sports vacation.
Speaker 1: Now it's your turn, Rate and Review. Thanks for listening. See you tomorrow. Good game, Julie, Good game, GAYFC, you outing people talking to you, The Ghost of Tucker Carlson's dad. Good Game with Sarah Spain is an iHeart women's sports production in partnership with Deep Blue Sports and Entertainment. You can find us on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. Production by Wonder Media Network, our producers are Alex Azzi and Bianca Hillier. Our executive producers are Christina Everett, Jesse Katz, Jenny Kaplan and Emily Rudder. Our editors are Emily Rutterer, Lucy Jones, Britney Martinez and Gianna Palmer. Production assistants from Avery LOFTUS and I'm Your Host Sarah Spain