Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 3: This is the Players Lounge, broadcasting live from Dallas Cowboys World Headquarters at the Star. Now your hosts Barry Church, Danny McCrae, Heckma Harrison and new He scrugs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you got one of those right. I am in the building.
Speaker 4: This is the Players Lounge sponsored by Tostitos, the official chip and dip of the Dallas Cowboys, and the players in the building is the Great Nate Newton. Hey, my man, Jesse Holly. I shall appreciate y'all man around. You know, I was like, hey, you know, I do this thing by myself, opening open the phone, were visit the booth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I ain't scared.
Speaker 5: It at all.
Speaker 4: Okay, but man, this is man great man Holiday audition. This the this is the Christmas edition. Uh, the Miami Dolphins edition. I know y'all been talking about it all week long, y'all, and I I gotta ask y'allself because I know it's been one hell of a week after Buffalo.
Speaker 2: It's like, hey, it's like Joe Dash Jeans in the eighties. Alone. Man, you know you got that.
Speaker 4: Okay, it's for real be coming off a loss and I haven't been able to talk to y'allo.
Speaker 2: Now I got you in my face. I won't talk to you about it. Jesse. What has it been like after.
Speaker 4: Getting your rebuilding vot run to get ready for this Miami Dolphins day?
Speaker 6: You know, as from a player's perspective, you think about, all right, you come in and you face the music on Monday, and those are the films that you never want to watch because you know, at some point in time you're gonna be on the big screen like Summer Jam, and it's gonna.
Speaker 5: Be, it's gonna be.
Speaker 6: It's not gonna be good right like and and and it's in those moments you kind of hope that maybe you saying, would stand two other bad plays ahead of you or behind you so that they don't stay on you too long. But you know, and it's for guys in my position. Coaches always coach through the lesser of the players, right, so when the stars make a mistake, they don't really get too doll cussed. But let my mistake happen, they gonna coach through me.
Speaker 2: Jesse, what the hell are you doing? You and I'm like, no, he did the same thing.
Speaker 6: But you don't say that to the stars. You coach through the lesser players. So a lot of times in these meetings, the star they'll get kind of called out a little bit, But it's the others that really get doll cuss in these meetings because that's just the nature of the beast.
Speaker 4: And let let me add on to that, and I give a perfect nine route. When you take that nine route, you always want to leave a little space. Yeah, so if ceedee, lamb, run right here, cde, what we need for you to do is leave a little space to work with a quarterback. But if it's just man, what that's why we don't play you along because you can't.
Speaker 6: You know, That's what we got the red line on the practice field about.
Speaker 2: You got to stay and get a quarterback.
Speaker 6: You're like, come on, man, but coach, coach, do the lesson player.
Speaker 4: The cultural reference of being on the summer jam screen. Really, I can't think nothing else. I'm prodigy ballet outfit. But hey, you don't want to get caught like that. And that is what that film session look like. But I'm telling you had to get through that week because I think it caught everybody off guard. You no way you expected to go in the Buffalo, get beat up the way that you did, and obviously go through this week and have the analysis that you've had all week talking about that loss, and then Mike McDaniel's how great he is and what this running game can be like when you get to Miami. But Nate for you as you as you look at this defense. You've talked about this defense this whole time. What is this defense to what they have to do better? Obviously in which department to get this thing style?
Speaker 2: It's all about your gaps. You. I could accept what happened with the Carginals, Okay, we will hot.
Speaker 4: We we finn to be the number one defense in the league.
Speaker 2: We okay. Then we go up a few weeks later we see the forty nine.
Speaker 4: Oh the eye candy da da dah? What was that Week fourteen? All of that is behind us. No more tricks, no more this. Now it's about how bad do you want it? If you're supposed to be in the A gap, Play the A gap. I don't care what you thought you saw. Play the A gap, A B C. Play your gap, because if you don't stop the run. See this thing is set up with Tyreek Hill and then it comes inside. If you don't when they come inside, if you don't stop it, it's all over.
Speaker 2: Game over. Play your gaps.
Speaker 4: I'm worried about our defensive line play in their gaps and giving our small linebackers a.
Speaker 2: Chance to make plays.
Speaker 4: So you're saying you saw a lot of guys freelancing, doing their own.
Speaker 6: Thing, And that's the.
Speaker 5: Gift and the curse of talent. Yes, right, Because when you.
Speaker 6: When you have a certain level of talent, and I like to believe that this Cowboys defense is literate with a bunch of talented dudes, a lot of times you rely strictly on your talent, and when your talent has had some success, you kind of go to that well again and you don't have the precision that you need, the attention the detail that you need on assignment. And I think that's the biggest thing when you look at this defense. When this defense is really knocked over the head, it's the talented dudes not being attention to detail in the moments and areas that they need to.
Speaker 5: Be attention to detail.
Speaker 6: They use their talent, and that sometimes can throw you off because yeah you're faster, Yeah you may be stronger, but if you jump out this gap this time and they catch you, they hit, they handle the goal post for a touchdown. And I think that's the biggest thing is that I can't have. We said on our show, I can't have eleven Batman's. I just can't. I just can't have eleven Batman's one Batman. I need the rest of y'all to be Robbins. I need the rest of y'all to do what you're supposed to do and sometimes say Batman and.
Speaker 4: Let's that's okay. I don't want to say role play, but just at least know your role.
Speaker 2: Fine, it's fine, it's fine. I know I'm talking.
Speaker 4: This is the deal, ain't this is the deal. Let's let's be frank here. There's only one superstar on the defense, and the rest of them are role players. Diggs is hurt. That was your other closest things to a superstar. Mike or Parsons is a past rushing superstar. The rest of these guys are role players.
Speaker 2: Play your role, do your job.
Speaker 4: I promise you, Clark, if you did not learn to be where you're supposed to be.
Speaker 2: You would get deposited again. Play your role.
Speaker 4: This is one thing I learned when I played. Yeah, boy, remember that boy fell in the middle of the chess and Jim Broden head around there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, listen to this, y'all.
Speaker 4: Mike Irving, Emmitt Smith, Troy Aikman, slightly j Noble, check the rest of us it.
Speaker 2: Eric Williams got there was just guys who played well, who played in their role in and relished their role. You don't have and in the day's.
Speaker 4: Sarah Cap Okay, let the money dig tell who the players are.
Speaker 2: He but one of them and he ain't got paid yet. Hutton is injured.
Speaker 4: This something you know, when I and I make a basketball reference. When I'm watching basketball with my son, I'm always telling them, I'm like, you have no idea, you've never seen basketball before.
Speaker 2: This brand of basketball that I'm looking at, This ain't it.
Speaker 4: These guys are five seconds into the shot clock and they've they're already taking shots already.
Speaker 2: You know, and it's moving that fast.
Speaker 4: And so when when you say role players, I think back to those times when you watch the NBA and there were guys that their sole job. Dennis Rodman's sole job was to get rebounds, play defense. If Dennis Rodman shot at three at any point at any time, it was prout, the game was over.
Speaker 2: In the half. He just so happened to have the ball in his head. But when you talk about role players from a.
Speaker 4: NFL standpoint today, it seemed like those things are thrown off because you got everybody wanting to play Batman specifically who on this defense, and you said, look, your role has to be this and only this.
Speaker 2: Don't get out of that role.
Speaker 5: I mean we can go down and we can name guys for guys and is that fair? Is that not fair?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 6: The one thing that you look at and we'll stick defensively, is this is another gift in the curse of having that star on your helmet. Everybody wants to be in that number, right, Everybody wants to be this. Everybody's about their brand. This is a brand. This is a brand, and everybody wants to be a part of that brand.
Speaker 5: So the brand is not being the role player.
Speaker 6: There's no there's no money in the role play, there's no attention in the role play, there's no So everybody find themselves kind of wanting to do and overstep their boundaries and.
Speaker 5: So if he had guys that was just like.
Speaker 6: Man, I'm just gonna hold up this gap. I'm just gonna hold up this gap. Well, I'm just gonna play this leverage. I'm gonna do it.
Speaker 5: Then you allow your defense to be better.
Speaker 2: And this is.
Speaker 6: Football is a fluid game. Week by week, things change, things happen. In the Buffalo situation, there were a lot of guys who were not properly placed, that should have been properly placed and had no business in areas that they were in. But because you look around and a guy says, well, the avalanche is coming, I want to make a play to kind of stop the bleeding. You jump out of your gap. You're not in the right situation. Now the avalanche continues, the bleeding continues.
Speaker 4: How else do you trust Let's say, if you're talking about a safety or safety is in particular all right, how else do you trust that if you have to play a particular style of defense because of your batman, you're gonna be singled up on the backside a lot of times with your free safety and he's gonna be one on one with the running back and he has to make that tackle.
Speaker 2: Is that specifically him Okay.
Speaker 6: Yeah, like and you know that in film, say, hey, when they come backside, it's you and him and not. But that's when that's the mentality of Okay, if I get run over, do I make the tackle?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 6: I just have to be there. I have to be right in what I'm supposed to do. If the outcome is me getting him down for either a short gain or no gain or small game, then cool, I've done my part. But it's when you're supposed to be in the situation, in the area and that's supposed to be you, and that turns into now a big game because you did not do the assitement that you were assigned to do. How can we play football? How can we have a successful football play if the guys who are supposed to be there aren't there?
Speaker 2: Nate, I just.
Speaker 4: This thing is so big now it's December football, and Jesse, you know, you know all of us that's played in some type of college football. Understand you know you're getting your some position for a bowl game, a playoff run or something special. This lady, and if you don't care enough about your teammates, and I said the other night, I'm about tired of we need to learn.
Speaker 2: We need to get it together.
Speaker 7: It's just do your job.
Speaker 2: Stop being selfish.
Speaker 8: When you see that you give up two hundred and sixty six yards of Russian, one hundred and ninety yards of Russian, one hundred and seventy yards of Russian, two hundred and twenty yards of Russian.
Speaker 2: All of these are losses because you decided to be selfish.
Speaker 4: You're not helping your team, you know, Jesse said. One thing I agree with. Okay, we heard Oldsa say last week, we have six and a half guys in the box.
Speaker 2: Won't seventh guy come on down, Come on down, join the party.
Speaker 4: Man, get bloody, like Jesse said, get ran over, do something. Grab this guy, scrawl for a libit of game so we can have a third and.
Speaker 2: Six instead of a third instead of third and one. Do your job. These guys don't care.
Speaker 4: Let me ask you this. I mean because you you are. You have played on Super Bowl winning teams, so and I would never dare compare any of those teams to the current Dallas Cowboys. But what I do see is the narrative from playing against tough San Francisco team. Yes, okay, and Inet, I asked you about this in ninety four, y'all got disqualified, y'all got put out of the playoff by me up out of the players, by San Francisco he Candlestick Park, and then in ninety five during the regular season they beat you again.
Speaker 2: Yes, kind of reminiscent to what they want nothing else to do with them. But this is this is the same thing that this year's Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 4: It's if you think about it, they're dealing with this kind of the same thing that with the San Francisco forty nine ers being there bumping the road. Basically, how did y'all, especially in that ninety five that Super Bowl thirty team, how did y'all get to the end of that season to say, all right, we can make a run now, especially after those losses y'all lost to the Commanders, which were the Washington Okay, you lost of those teams twice, lost in Philly. Uh yep, went twelve or four that season. But what was the turn of the page that took you'all to the championship? You know what, let's go to a break, because this conversation, Hire, i'ma have to tell you a story.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna have to tell you how it really is supposed to be.
Speaker 4: Okay, that's a team's then that's a team professional Ocnate ain't no problem. Hey, we'll take our first break here on the playoffs. Lauds. I got Jesse in the building. I got Nate in the building. Everybody else deserted me, but for a good reason. My man BC is on a family trip there in an out somewhere.
Speaker 2: Skiing must be nice, it must.
Speaker 4: It is always nice to be very nice.
Speaker 2: Took no new money.
Speaker 4: My man Daddy McRae is with the camp over at at and T Stadium, and new he is taking care of his child. Man had a broke angles. He shook somebody out of the stock socks, shook herself. I guess gotta get that cast at an angle. She will be better. But we'll be right back here on the players lounds.
Speaker 9: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black, and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order, plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites. And a full sized intense therapy liftball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip.
Speaker 4: Hi. I'm Danny mccraig, Dallas Cowboys alumni player here with Smoothie King, and Smoothie King wants to ask you, what's that sound. That's the sound of us magically transforming our smooth bows into two new decadent flavors. Dig into a cool Iae or Pataya bowl, handcrafted with crunchy purely Elizabeth Rinola fresh strawberries and finished with the velvety chocolate hazel nut drizzle, perfect for breakfast, lunch, or anytime you want to much. And that's the sound of you making them disappear. Smoothie bowls now in two new decadent flavors, only at Smoothie King, the official Smoothie of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 10: To kick off the twenty twenty three NFL season, Hugo Boss teamed up with the NFL and Micah Parsons to launch an iconic apparel collection featuring hoodies, crews, T shirts, polos, joggers, and more. The bold, unique apparel of the Boss NFL collection unites football and fashion while reflecting what it truly means to be a boss. Get yours today at NFL shop dot com, slash Hugo Boss, at Hugo Boss dot com and at Boss retail stores hashtag be your own Boss.
Speaker 5: There is no eye in Dallas.
Speaker 11: There is no eye in heart, either no eye in Blue Star or a lone star for that matter. And there's no eye in How about them Cowboys? Smearenough knows there's no eye in football. Football is a wee thing, an experience that is best enjoyed together with good drinks and good folks home or away. We rally together, we cry together, and we always rally cry together because there's definitely no eye in Cowboys. Fans smear enough we do game days. Please drink responsibly.
Speaker 5: To the Players Lounge.
Speaker 4: Get a frame worthy family holiday photo with Santa at the Star presented by Monument Realty. Santa Claus will be at his cowboy themed cottage in the Star District through December through December twenty fourth. Come visit the Star District dot com slash Sana.
Speaker 6: Come on, Come on that read them with digit like Buffalo.
Speaker 2: Did you like Buffalo? If you yall, it's okay, listen, it was raining for through, you fund through. We fall down, but we get never want to believe that that fun. Jesse the best.
Speaker 4: It's the players loud hod S used to by Toastinos up Hecker, Harrison and Jesse is in the building.
Speaker 2: Nate Newton is in the building.
Speaker 4: And before we took our break, I was asking you specifically about the transition from ninety four to ninety five, and ninety four being the year that you guys will put out of the playoffs by the San Francisco forty nine ers, and they were a thorn on your side, kind of like this current Dubs Cowboys group.
Speaker 2: But then in ninety five, middle of.
Speaker 4: The season, you guys take on that same San Francisco forty nine ers group and they beat you again thirty eight to twenty. I believe that was I'm making you relive it said, that's.
Speaker 2: Okay, we won a Super Bowl. I did, I did, But it's hearly familiar.
Speaker 4: That season coming back back off of two twelve and four seasons, this team coming off of two twelve and fives find themselves smack dab in the middle of the playoff hunt. But what was the difference in that team when you look back over there, what y'all had to do to get over that hump, to get that momentum to win that super Bowl. First of all, the coach Buller's in and told us, hey, fellas, we just got beat by a good a good team. Second of all, we had and like I said this on cross Talk, I don't know what go on over there in their building. I don't know who their leaders are, who their top dogs are, how far there each player has been in the playoffs, and what's their mindset. But our mindset was a little bit different. Okay, we know we were equal to the forty nine ers. We had played them head ahead, and somehow they had snatched the momentum from us from.
Speaker 2: That year before.
Speaker 4: People say, oh, well they cheated, we didn't go But back then we didn't cheat.
Speaker 2: That don't work for us.
Speaker 4: We were winning. We needed to win. They beat us again, and now some doubt creeps in. But what not what didn't happen was our ability to go out there and work on that field, our ability to study that film, that.
Speaker 2: Ability to say, hey, everyone can say.
Speaker 4: Hey, Nate, man, I'm gonna watch some extra film doing lunch. Charles Hayter say, hey, Russ, what you doing for lunch?
Speaker 2: Okay? I meet you in there to.
Speaker 4: Watch some film. Hey man, Nah, you lined up wrong. This is where you need to be. Hey, Nate, can you give me a better look on this field because this is what this guy liked to do. Hey, Charles, he don't do it like that. Can I get some of you after the ability today out on the field. I don't need you in the locker room sleep today. I need to get you out on the field. Okay, big noon. If you need me, I'm out there. Hey Nate, you need to come get on the stepper today. We need to get some of this fatness. I'm serious. I'm being honest. How we talked to one another, how we held one another accountable. So it didn't come down to Jimmy. It didn't come down to one stat it didn't come down to North Turner. It came down to what these guys, these seven or eight guys, believe that we could do. If I'm in today's society. Everybody looks at they said, Jesse does several shows and he looks at himself to make sure that he's not saying the wrong thing or putting things in the wrong content. These guys over here got several look at yourself. Look look and see how you sound after a game, and then look at the film and see does it match your intensity, match what you're saying. It's a big gap. It's a big gap. It comes a point not only for quarterbacks when when you say, hey, quarterback is seeing everything.
Speaker 2: This is Parson going on fourth year. Have you not seen everything? What can they give you? Curse? Have you not seen everything? Now? Sam?
Speaker 4: Okay, I understand, bro, you make bad decisions. But guess what, Hey, Nate, we're finisha do a hard count. De Troy been talking to me. Hey, Nate, look at here A right low left, I right tight end? Why option to the left? Hey man, we're gonna do this, Nate. And it's a hard too, Blue thirty nine, Blue thirty nine. Nate understand hard too, But it's going on three. I'm gonna say hut hut, and then we're gonna snap the ball.
Speaker 2: Now. For a while, they it was just like that.
Speaker 4: People are like, oh, Nate got leave you yeah, yeah, oh yeah, but I got three Super Bowl ras yeah. Oh yeah, Nate said, I'm saying, are these guys that I don't know what they're doing over there? And I'm not saying they don't do that, but seemed like to me, somebody gotta say, you know what, never again two hundred and sixty six yards. That's why I asked you to do that. No, no, no, and I and I appreciate that, man, because I feel like what we were talking about off air is players policing themselves. And that's where I think the biggest question where you guys are, because when you see certain things come out in the media, it reeks of who y'all talking to, even if y'all talking to each other, Am I you know down your street?
Speaker 2: On this?
Speaker 6: No, I'm I mean, I'll give you an example, and this is it happened earlier this year, right, and it happens on the it happened on the offensive side of the ball. We watched CD lamb out on the field. We watched him kind of upset on the field, yes, and then we watched him for weeks sublimately say things throughout the media. Right, you were in the same damn locker room with the guy that you gotta have an issue with you. You one floor from the coaches office. How is it that you are upset here? Pout here, subliminals here, but you won't walk down six lockers and go, hey, dog.
Speaker 5: Let's have a conversation.
Speaker 11: Now.
Speaker 6: I was in Atlanta with you this offseason and I came to the backyard and there's some things that you and I the way this is supposed to go and it ain't going. Or hey, coach, let me how about you for a second. I know that we got this new Texas Coast thing going on here, but I'm the alpha dog out here. I need to see no offense to Michael. But those ten targets you through to him. I need to see those on my way.
Speaker 4: And did you not see a little bit of that after that episode with CD where things did start to change, they started you started to see the hot.
Speaker 2: Took weeks either way.
Speaker 6: It took weeks from a player two players not communicating with one another.
Speaker 2: Yes, it took weeks for.
Speaker 5: That to happen.
Speaker 6: So when you want to tell me about a brotherhood, and when you want to tell me that I'm holding each other accountable for what we're doing, there shouldn't be subliminals in the in the in the in the media. There shouldn't be pouting on the field. I should be able to come. This is what Nate saying. Nate saying back in the day, I could come to you like, hey, dog, Michael Ivan, go hey, you know, listen, Larry Woody, this ain't right.
Speaker 5: Dog, get this right, and they get it right.
Speaker 6: Not this whole I'm gonna walk around the situation and I think the same thing defensively, right you you hear little things, and we.
Speaker 5: Need to do this, and certain guys need to do this, and.
Speaker 2: Who whoa, whoa, whoa whoa.
Speaker 6: Especially when it comes from the dudes who are supposed to be the leaders. That has to be. That has to be the combination where whoever that leader is, I snatch up this guy or I snatch up this guy and I we have a conversation and I say, hey, if we're going to actually do what we say we want to do, and here's what we have to get better. And I don't know if that's a consistent thing that is happening all the time.
Speaker 2: So let me ask you.
Speaker 4: I mean, obviously, the ultimate goal when you come into the season is to win a Super bowl.
Speaker 2: Everybody's on that page.
Speaker 4: And you even started off by saying, Hey, I don't know what those guys are talking about over there, and so it's kind of I don't want to assume that they're not communicating.
Speaker 5: Yeah, a lot of times that I'll say stuff and I'll go.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't what it is.
Speaker 4: What it is the thing that we have to do, exactly things that we have to do, I don't.
Speaker 6: I don't always just say a thing off the cuffs, and sometimes like yo, I don't want to say.
Speaker 2: Like well, but yeah, you know it. You know it to be true.
Speaker 5: You have to be you have to be mister Triplett.
Speaker 2: You have to be Parsons.
Speaker 4: Parsons is the guy that I need.
Speaker 6: For him to take over this game, the game, or or the leadership the game.
Speaker 4: See, Troy never said much. Michael was our heart. He did all the speaking. But he can look at Troy in his eyes and know that something need to be said. But some guys just need to play somehow, some way. Michael Parson has to take over this game. And it can't be after the offense get seven or eight or fourteen point lead. You have to do this somehow, some way at the beginning of the game. You have to affect this game, whether all the pressures they say you getting. I want to see it at the beginning of the game. Don't wait, take over the game. Then I'm talking to Deep Law next, take over the game. I need you to take over the game. Is saying something that can't happen. No, no, no, I think there's what you've been calling for. You've seen glimpses of that throughout the season. I think you need more of it here at the end of the season. But I remember, Hey, Chris Bean, would you please do me a favor after Kyle you leaves this uh podcast studio? Replace that microphone.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 4: I don't want to touch nothing that Kyle Yoemans is touching because this man is having triplets and I'm scared of him.
Speaker 7: Why are you scared of what.
Speaker 4: Like this?
Speaker 7: I don't think it's contagious triplets out the gate?
Speaker 5: Yeah, bro, how do you even prepare for that?
Speaker 9: How even you don't ask me again in like three months when I'm actually a father of three?
Speaker 2: That's what it's going to be.
Speaker 4: Man, you look like a North Texas coach right now. So what you got going on?
Speaker 7: It's just North Texas Pride.
Speaker 2: It's Friday for you.
Speaker 4: We're in the middle of a deep conversation about leadership that Nate made me ask. He teased, I teased it in the first made may question made me ask the questions me a.
Speaker 2: Couple of times.
Speaker 9: We'll be on the break and he'll be like, let me tell you something, Yeah, and he lines up a whole nother conversation. I'm like, Nate's yeah, no, ask the question.
Speaker 2: But I got it.
Speaker 4: I mean, because obviously you cover the team. You see a lot of what's going on in the locker room, and the question is this team as far as leadership, how this continues to happen to them on the road in the running game. And so it's basically coming down to a want to A guy's playing a bigger, bigger part of what their role is. What are you seeing in that as far as the pulse of this team.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you know, it's hard not being inside those walls, right, Like, you're not in the team meeting. The only time that we're inside the walls is during open locker room, and you're always gonna get the media answer to a certain extent from those guys, and it starts with your quarterback. But defensively, you need somebody to step up to.
Speaker 7: And I agree with Nate, I really do. I think it starts with Michael Parsons. If you're the.
Speaker 9: Guy who's one willing to voice your opinion, because he's certainly willing to voice, whether it's in a positive way or a disgruntled way, he's going to make his voice be heard. If he's willing to do that, he's got to be the one to set the tone. And he's got to set a tone from a play standpoint and from a voice standpoint, and guys gravitate toward Michael Parsons. I think one guy that's a little underrated is Layton Vandersch. A lot of guys listening to Layton, and when he's not in the fold it it does have an effect. And I was talking with de mon Clark last week before going into that Buffalo game and I just kind of jokingly made the suggestion. I was like, you guys gonna wear sleeves in the cold linebackers. You guys are gonna wear sleeves. He said, no, Layton said, we're not wearing sleeves, and we're not wearing sleeves. It's like Layton had been on the field in a month. He hasn't been a part of this team, and yet he still has a leadership role, just even in something as small as that, and that that spoke volumes, and I think Damon's done a nice job of stepping into a tough situation and stepping up and having a voice. Even in that that same conversation he told Marquise Bell came over, asked a question and Damon had an answer for him right away, didn't even have to look at the phone, got him set. They both went off to meetings, and so there's there's leadership there, But from an overall standpoint, you need somebody to rally behind, and I think it starts with Micah.
Speaker 4: Guys, let's let's uh, let's switch gears here on it's still on the defensive side of the ball.
Speaker 2: But when you look at a guy like Tarik Hill, the.
Speaker 4: Year that he's having the skills that he has, it ain't seen anything like this before ever. I'm sure there's nothing to have. What's his name, tell me we'll give you a birth.
Speaker 2: Of tip get on.
Speaker 4: Well, the last time you've seen it, but they weren't smart enough to use him enough and that was right there, yeah, bull, but not in a magical way, Bob straight past me.
Speaker 2: But this guy does it in a magical.
Speaker 4: What I mean being a formal receiver, what do you think when you when you see a guy like to kill.
Speaker 6: Kill every times, when you break the huddle and line up.
Speaker 5: And that's and and and.
Speaker 6: You know that that dude is zero to sixty in a blink, it changes everything.
Speaker 5: And when you have that level of speed where.
Speaker 6: You you put fear into people's hearts and you put your question marks in their.
Speaker 5: Mind, cannot cannot.
Speaker 6: It's it's I mean, I've seen, like, I've seen the fear of what it is to deal with Megatron. I've seen the fear of what it is to deal with Randy Moss, right, I've seen the fear of having to meet Adrian Peterson in the in the end of the A gap, Right, I've seen I've seen the law right. But this, that type of speed is is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let me now this, and I hate to do this, but I got to. You can get one of the fastest Porsches in the world, Porsche and Porsche, Yeah, you can get it. You can line it up out there on six thirty five, and you can put a Tesla next to it. That port you take off. All it want, all that do with that pors do is just brash the gas. He was zip past you. And that's what this kid is. He's a Tesla Brola.
Speaker 7: I'm a car guy, and so like these comparisons.
Speaker 4: You could say, go get your fastest production Porsche that runs on this on the highway in the street. You put it up next to our boy. Isaiah said, maybe it's just the way.
Speaker 7: I think that's what it is.
Speaker 4: No Teslas go from like zero to sixth and like one point some seconds.
Speaker 2: The fastest Porsche is.
Speaker 4: Three seconds, four seconds by the time you get the second gear.
Speaker 2: I'm throwing down, bro, this dhoe. This kid is. You got to know, you know, I don't talk a lot, bro.
Speaker 4: But I do my research, you know, and I'm telling you, like it's right here. Bob Hayes was straight ahead and he would just run away from people. This kid drags across the field. This kid goes in motion. And what you say, Jesse, he does a double motion.
Speaker 6: With their offense is a double motion, right, They'll they'll send the first motion to kind of see like, hey, what y'all doing? And then the second motion is a full speed motion and it's timed up with the snap.
Speaker 7: Now you got to be on top of it.
Speaker 6: And if you're imagine him going across the field and you thinking about you trailing him, I don't care, Gilly blayd.
Speaker 5: Uhhh, joy Lee, be a step behind him if you want to, Yeah, no, night night.
Speaker 4: Can you imagine just lining up like this right here in front of this dude, not flat footed.
Speaker 2: I'm turned the other way, getting ready to run out of.
Speaker 7: You're already behind.
Speaker 4: And I know the tesla thing was probably a bad people that don't know how fast these cars is because I know, but this kid is a Tesla. This dude is what you call now speed. You ain't never seen this before. And most people will line up on a tesla with they look Amars and they little Mustangs and they little Corvette and getting blowed out the water and then they'd be like, wow, I said, you just saw the cheeta baby like this.
Speaker 7: The new Seed metaphor made it better that mad.
Speaker 6: Because its bout the pistol folks off everybody like the car enthusing.
Speaker 2: You know, if.
Speaker 6: If Patrick was here, he come down you know he's a car he's gearhead.
Speaker 5: Gear heads. Yep, he's a gear head.
Speaker 2: So he will come down and be like he can come down all he won't.
Speaker 4: Just snatched him, snatched him plats right out of his head. That's what that test. A little dude, come on down. I got Jesse bro Jesse school him one time? Is school him again?
Speaker 7: Trying to start start.
Speaker 2: So this is what we're gonna do. We're gonna take a break on.
Speaker 4: The snatching plats. We're gonna take a final break here on the players lounge and be right back.
Speaker 10: To kick off the twenty twenty three NFL season. Hugo Boss teamed up with the NFL and Micah Parsons to launch an iconic apparel collection featuring hoodies, crews, T shirts, polos, joggers, and more. The bold, unique apparel of the Boss NFL collection unites football and fashion while reflecting what it truly means to be a boss. Get yours today at NFL shop dot com, slash Hugo Boss, at Hugo Boss dot com and at Boss retail stores hashtag be your own Boss.
Speaker 4: Hi. I'm Danny McCrae, Dallas Cowboys alumni player here with Smoothie King, and Smoothie King wants to ask you, what's that sound. That's the sound of us magically transforming our Smoothie bows into two new decadent flavors. Dig into a cool III or Fataya bowl, handcrafted with crunchy purely Elizabeth Vernola fresh strawberries and finished with the velvety chocolate hazel nut drizzle. Perfect for breakfast, lunch, or anytime you want a munch. And that's the sound of you making them disappear. Smoothie bowls now in two new decadent flavors only at Smoothie King, the official Smoothie of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 9: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys Jack Black and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping.
Speaker 7: The Jack Black Playmaker is four.
Speaker 9: Of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy with ball. Make a play for the Playmaker at get Jack Black dot com. Slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 12: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, and they snapper.
Speaker 5: The press guy who looks right, it's not there. He escapes left. He'll look for a perchtown.
Speaker 12: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With Blockchain dot com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade cryptocurrency.
Speaker 9: Prescott's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 12: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered.
Speaker 2: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 12: Get started at blockchain dot com.
Speaker 3: Back to the Players Lounge.
Speaker 4: The twenty twenty four NFL Pro Bowl Games are taking over Orlando, and the roster is up to you. Cash your ballot for the twenty twenty four Pro Bowl Games. Vote and send your favorite Cowboy player to compete in the Ultimate AFC Versus NFC showdown this February. Vote now at Dallas Cowboys dot com slash vote Made my Way Back.
Speaker 2: That's how you come back, That's how you come back. That's how you drop.
Speaker 4: Well, I tell you, I had you have to redeem myself all the time. The other guys, man, they brutal too. Man, I don't know what it's got to be.
Speaker 7: What they get you on.
Speaker 2: I got myself. I was reading the thousands in the middle of trying to be.
Speaker 5: The last, trying to Santa Claus Christian.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, somewhere somewhere in there in the twenty four just didn't didn't go down right.
Speaker 5: Sat Nick was on his back.
Speaker 6: It was like that girl I dumped on my back of saying, friend, it just wore your dad difficult.
Speaker 2: Other different gorilla.
Speaker 9: Gorilla Apex president was see but did you get monument reality right?
Speaker 2: I got that right off the top.
Speaker 5: Sponsor I got that, well, no, you got the sponsor right.
Speaker 7: It was just as long as you get what's paying the pill.
Speaker 2: Man I got. I got offensive guys in the building. Man.
Speaker 4: So I got to ask the question about Dak Prescott. We had we talked all about the defense because we know we got a cheatah that we gotta deal in continue with, and also a running game. But this offense, obviously last week it kind of felt like they took a step back. You have some guys that are hurt on the offensive line. What do you guys, how do you guys view this game offensively and what's the scheme that you need to see in order for us to get a victory.
Speaker 2: I'll start with you, Nate, not all at once. I defer to Jesse, all right.
Speaker 6: You know for me, when you when you look at how this game plays out, I think there has to be a strategic move and about how you approached this. I think the Cowboys' best defense will be their offense, meaning that I need to have long, sustained drives that ending touchdowns.
Speaker 5: I have to win the time of.
Speaker 2: Possession, contextualize that by how you do it, you.
Speaker 6: Get And this is gonna be difficult now because you're talking about Zach Martin potentially not according to Jerry.
Speaker 7: I think he's gonna be fine.
Speaker 9: Okay, he was out there today and then Tyroncarthy gave us an update. Tyrone was not out there today, so in the Mike McCarthy update.
Speaker 6: So now we got to figure out, Okay, if we're missing one of the dogs up front, right, how can we put a run game together? It starts there, It starts running the ball up front. This defense and the Vic Fangio defense, they're not bringing multiple pressures. They want to get They want to use their down for a linement. They want to use those guys, those stunt they'll do all the kind of stuff. But they want to drop a bunch of guys in coverage. Yeah, they want they want to make Dak Prescott have to sift through that, right, So anytime you play that type of two high man match type thing that they do when they're in their situation, light box, right, light box, we have to attack that.
Speaker 5: We have to do what others do to us. Light box. Let's run the football.
Speaker 6: Let's be committed to doing it, not just to not run the football to beat our heads into the the wall, but run the full all what they plan. And then once we get to a situation where now we can kind of feel good about the rhythm that we're in now, just start methodically picking these guys apart. Right, They're not gonna give you over the top stuff.
Speaker 2: They're not.
Speaker 5: Hey, Jake Ferk, might be a big day for you, buddy. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: Linebackers to me a little bit sussy, a little suss, Right, they're not. They're not the best guys in coverage. You know what I mean, not the best guys in coverage. So say that a little sussy, little sussy the US along Duke Riley, Come on, fellas, Yeah.
Speaker 7: This you didn't even mention Christian Wilkins.
Speaker 2: No, No, that's that's Steven's lime.
Speaker 7: I'm talking.
Speaker 2: I'm talking about linebackers.
Speaker 4: Yes, sir Jesse repeated that I heard other shows repeated if the weak spot is that, if they're gonna give us that.
Speaker 2: That that that two box, if they're gonna let us run.
Speaker 4: This is a game with Tony Polar swing that ball to him out of the backfield, line him up on the end of the line. Make these line backers tackle. Their safety is listen to Isaiah this one. They don't have to have physical safeties, but not real good tackling safeties.
Speaker 2: No, ferg Man, Ferd Schoolmaker. This is where he has an offensive coordinator. No, no, stay with me here. This is where you got to drop him. You got to hang them.
Speaker 4: Bruh.
Speaker 5: So you compare that to like a tank a mack truck, and.
Speaker 2: You have to you say, how do you get down the field?
Speaker 4: Yes, sir Tony Potot outside running Tony Pottot outside swing pass Tony Pollard on a wheel route. This is the things you do, Jake Ferguson down the scene, Jake Ferguson dragging across that favorite route you like where you run the ride, rest, drag him in behind. This is how you go down the field ten yards, five yards, three yards, and all of a sudden you're in the red zone. Now when you're in the red zone five and in run the ball. Twice lip Key showed that he can dig a line back, load left or load right.
Speaker 2: Dig this line back out.
Speaker 4: And let Tony find the space in there. This is how you can beat this team. And in the process, now you're looking at thirty five minutes in.
Speaker 2: His game game over. But if you do it any other way, if you.
Speaker 9: Consist, Bob was gonna say, I think y'all are saying similar things in the same time time of possession. You control time of possession if you're able to run the ball. The problem with this front seven from Miami is Christian Wilkins and Davis on the inside.
Speaker 7: Those are two big bodies that seal down low. Yeah, sealer as well. They they only have those.
Speaker 9: Four down linemen for a reason, because they can get home and they can hold their block or hold their gap. That's the one thing I'm worried about. If there's gonna be any sort of run game, it's probably not gonna come within the tackles. You're gonna have to get the screen game going outside. You might try those long handoffs where you've got Brandon Cooks or Ceedee Lamb situated behind some blockers outside on the numbers. That's the type of opening I see of available because it's front seven.
Speaker 7: When you mentioned the linebackers, I really like Van Ginkel, Andrew Van Ginkle, long hair, he looks like he's an guy. Yeah, he's an guy. He's downhill, he's an guy all over the place.
Speaker 2: Good ta lies.
Speaker 5: He's a football player, dude, That's what I.
Speaker 2: Said, football players, jual lies. Listen to what I'm saying.
Speaker 7: Him off. You can't knock off, you can't.
Speaker 2: Visual line outside.
Speaker 4: This is what I'm talking about. They run a three four basic defense. Yeah, variations off of that. Tony Pollard out. Tony Pollard out, Tony Pollard out brings the linebackers up.
Speaker 2: Jake in behind the BikeE, Jake in behind you. He's who's been beating Dack throwing up the scene. This hit him a couple of times. Now you got your say this that.
Speaker 4: Okay, we better come up and make this play because Jake ain't going down easy.
Speaker 2: And all of a sudden we just leaked that number three right in behind him and we get him.
Speaker 4: Visual line, if you don't try to get out, you don't try to get outside. Come on now, don't beat yourself up. Don't don't overthink this man.
Speaker 7: But that's exactly it. You're not gonna get it in between the tackles.
Speaker 5: That but but you don't want to be there. Your running game.
Speaker 6: But your running game isn't it in between the tackle type of running game anyway?
Speaker 7: Yeah, it shouldn't be.
Speaker 5: It's more trying to make it that way. It's more on the edge.
Speaker 6: I like when you get Terren Steele and and he's pulling. I don't like when he's I know. I like when I when I get the young boy Tyler Smith pulling. Let's get these dudes, let's get the parade.
Speaker 7: I think we just solved the problem.
Speaker 5: I think we just solved the cowboys.
Speaker 2: When when the plane take off? When the plane take off?
Speaker 4: Saturday I'm gonna store you guys, all of us gonna store ourselves down there with the luggage, and then we're gonna get off.
Speaker 2: The plane with them.
Speaker 4: And then when when the play college stought Wenna, we're gonna store in the booth.
Speaker 7: Do we need to bring our own headsets? Or we're just gonna take it?
Speaker 2: Will take this, Okay, I'm taking Quinn Quinn. Look at him, eighth man in the box.
Speaker 7: I'd be like, all right, it's Quinn. Y'all are on defense. Get out of the way.
Speaker 2: Give me your headset, Kyle. I gotta ask you a question. I think that the podcast pick.
Speaker 4: This week is which which receiver on either team is going to have the most receptions.
Speaker 9: I can tell you what's going to be the most popular answer, and it's Tyreek Hill. That's not my answer, and it's one of the ones that Jesse just brought up.
Speaker 7: It's Jake Ferguson.
Speaker 5: Okay, what am I gonna say? Was gonna say the other guy?
Speaker 6: And I brought up that's what I pick. Everybody's been actual picked. A lot of guys picked.
Speaker 5: Jake Ferguson, he picked you picked Waddle.
Speaker 9: Yeah, he he did shine as the number one last week when when Hill was out, he had a career high one hundred and forty two yards.
Speaker 7: He's been great.
Speaker 9: He's the eighth leading receiver since the start of last year in the NFL.
Speaker 7: People forget about.
Speaker 5: If dan Quinn.
Speaker 6: If dan Quinn has not put together a plan to double Tyreek Hill, I don't know.
Speaker 5: What he's doing.
Speaker 6: Like there's no way, there's no way that you you don't have the dogs to run with him. There has to be in a sort of effort to eliminate him.
Speaker 9: And you don't want to run like single high man and just see what Jordan Lewis has good luck.
Speaker 2: He listens to the question.
Speaker 9: Like don't bite, no, no, you gotta have some sort of double team. But it's been shown in the past even a double team is not gonna slow him down, like completely. You can you can limit him. If you can limit Tyreek Hill, I think you've got a really good shot to win.
Speaker 6: And that's why I said, That's why I said waddle on the other side, right, because he's gonna get the one on one match. If he's gonna get lined up with Gilly, he's gonna get lined up with Bland and with that speed, I just know that. I mean, hell, we played off on guys who can't blow by you, right, We're playing ten yards off guys who can't run by you. So all of a sudden, now you think this is the game that you want to come up in and test your press skills. I get a coach of Al Harris, who was one of the Al Harris, if y'all don't know, was one of the best, one of the best press corners. I was a young boy in Cincinnati with Chad o Chosinka was my og and to watch he would he would get up in Chad stuff and be like and grab Chad, you let chat.
Speaker 5: Chad will tell you one of.
Speaker 6: The best press corners he's ever had your face was Al Harris. I don't know if this is the game I want to start testing my press skill coverage.
Speaker 4: I don't know how you change I don't do not know how you change your spots quickly. And if you do, I mean it's gonna be a hell of a plan that they put together specifically for Tarik Hill because he is their offense. But my pick for that, I'm gonna go. I'm gonna go with the guy you was just talking about. Pouting, go with CD. If you're gonna do all that now.
Speaker 5: I have to don't bring up that old stuff.
Speaker 2: You said it.
Speaker 5: I was ten weeks ago. I was I was making a point.
Speaker 7: I say, I was like, wait, when was he powdering?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 5: No, no, no, no now, but I was making a point.
Speaker 7: That the body language was a conversation.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you said, I goess my man bringing up I'm going I'm going CD, because man, you gotta prove it. This is Michael Irvin Dale Green. Come on, you gotta prove it. Nia's you gotta prove it. You're gonna have these matchups. You can't run away from it.
Speaker 2: You can't. So CD and Jaalen Ramsey you gotta do them.
Speaker 4: You gotta cook him, okay, because the thing is, the thing is is you know they're gonna move him around. And Jalen Ramsey is a guy that's gonna travel. He likes to play in the slot because he's physical enough and believes he's fast enough.
Speaker 2: He's gonna try. I believe he's gonna travel city.
Speaker 5: It's gonna be a sassine man, It's.
Speaker 4: Gonna be a great game. I want to see that the eighty eight prevail who'd you pick to win?
Speaker 2: Waddle? No, No, who'd you pick to win the game?
Speaker 5: Miami?
Speaker 2: What was your score?
Speaker 5: Thirty to twenty?
Speaker 2: Wow? Big name who you picked about one and a half half a point? Ay, this thing it's gonna be let from point.
Speaker 4: It's gonna be a bloody it's got rid of My score was fire fire to three?
Speaker 2: Who'd you Dallas?
Speaker 7: Miami?
Speaker 2: Thirty four thirty? What hold on? Y'all? Listen to this, you boy, Nason. I hope you'll.
Speaker 11: See what
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.