Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: This is the Bloomberg Surveillance Podcast. I'm Jonathan Ferrow, along with Lisa Bromwitz and Amrie Hordert. Join us each day for insight from the best in markets, economics, and geopolitics from our global headquarters in New York City. We are live on Bloomberg Television weekday mornings from six to nine am Eastern. Subscribe to the podcast on Apple, Spotify or anywhere else you listen, and as always on the Bloomberg Terminal and the Bloomberg Business app. Has turned back to the energy story, Crewed rising after a run war. The US against continuing its naval blockade, saying it would violate the terms of the ceasefire. Susan Bello Wrister Energy writing, Homers will reopen, But the question is how much pain the market absorbs in the meantime. Susan joins us now from More. Susan, good morning and welcome to the studio. Thank you so much. Let's get into how much pain we're experiencing right now. Just describe what's handling in physical markets.
Speaker 1: So the physical markets are extremely stressed, and I think you know a lot of focuses on the ice print price. But the ice print price is a cash settled market, right, It's not a physically settled market. And really, what if you want to see what the pain is, look at dated BRNT and data Brent. Premiums to ice Brant are in the order of twenty five. Yesterday the market closed with dated brand at I think thirty dollars higher than ice print. So the true physical markets are extremely stressed.
Speaker 2: Do you expect that to turn around anytime soon? Because this market, and when I say this market, this equity market has moved on really really quickly.
Speaker 1: Right, No, I don't. I mean, we really do need to see flows establish out of the straight of horror moves before the physical markets can start to rebalance. I do you know. I think the reason why the financial markets, so that the KRUDEOL financial markets have been relatively stable over the past couple of days, is that we have yet to see Iran retaliate. Now, the US the Pentagon yesterday said that they successfully blocked four vessels or at least four vessels turned around on their command. But then there's conflicting news coming out of some of the shipping the ship tracking agencies that are saying, well, actually, there was one vessel that was loaded at an Iranian port that was able to get through the blockade. So you know, there's there's a lot of really conflicting information out there, and so far Iran has not retaliated, but the news this morning that they do intend to retaliate if their trade does get blocked, that would markets up all over again. Let's say there isn't a massive escalation, that things kind of stay where they are for a number of weeks and then slowly get a little bit better. Does it make sense to you that December dated contracts for Brent are at eighty two dollars and forty nine cents? It does, you know, if there is not a massive escalation, and if the straight of Horror moves takes its time to reopen, it does make sense that dated brint or that the Brent contract is so elevated in December. Because what's happening right now is we're digging a hole in inventories, and when the supply recovers, a lot of that volume has to go back into restocking. Right So it's not that we're going to see the markets collapse the minute we start to see flows coming out of out of the straight of hooor moves.
Speaker 3: I thought you were going to say that it should be a lot higher. So that was where I was kind of heading. So that's sort of one of the questions that people have. We're focused very much on the oil and the energy space. Is that the real disruption that you think is going to be truly problematic for the global economy or do you think that some of the other disruptions, whether it's agriculture, whether it's the metal sector, could be potentially worse.
Speaker 1: I think that, you know, energy is a it's almost a human right, and that is going to be the most painfully impact of all of this. But I do believe that there is if we don't start to see something happening in the egg space, the fact that fertilizers are so expensive and effectively unavailable for some nations because it's unaffordable, this could move into food scarcity, which which is which is very concerning.
Speaker 4: Well, what about things like LPG which India needs to cook every single meal.
Speaker 1: Absolutely and LPG is a significant issue, particularly for India. They had resolved their immediate concerns by negotiating transit for vessels through the Strait of Horror moves, and of course, you know, the Trump administration is saying they are not going to block navigation for trade that is not tied to Iran, so India should still be able to get their LPG. But of course, if Iran retaliates, that upends everything. And if Iran retaliates and the Hoofy get involved and start to impact that flow out of the Red Sea, that puts even more pressure on Asia because so much of their crude oil is coming from that direction.
Speaker 4: Now this morning, India actually got four million barrels from Iran from that general license that the Treasury had three weeks ago that they were unsanctioning Iranian oil at sea. How long does it take for ship to go from the Strait of Hormuz to a port basically meaning if it's blockade really started earnest yesterday, when do you think we could see even more physical disruption?
Speaker 1: So I think the average days of transit for from the Strait of Horror moves into Asia is you know, fifteen to twenty days. It depends. I mean, if they're going all the way to China, it's longer. India it would be shorter. So if you know, Asia has already seen the fact that they're not getting any oil right now. There was oil on water through the first twenty five days of March, but now there's no oil on water.
Speaker 2: Stay with us, multiple impax. Savannah's coming up off to this the latest from the president. Then speaking to Fox News, these headlines just being released, the cham and Pam will be fined if he doesn't leave on time at mos of Raymond James, I going to use Good Morning mornin. I got to say your reaction to that headline? Where is this going with this Federal Reserve. So there's a couple things that we have to watch.
Speaker 5: One the Supreme Court's probably going to tell him pretty quickly that he does not have the authority to fire a FED governor because he's already tried to fire someone doctor re Lisa Cook. And I think if you take a step back, what he has done is ultimately going to make the FED more independent. If he didn't do anything, these threats actually could have meant something, And now he can threaten and it's probably going to make Powell stay longer if he is going to be threatened to kind of get fired for leaving on time and then we go to Tom tillis he's really important. It's thirteen eleven on the Banking Committee, it will be twelve twelve. But we also have to remember you don't actually have to have a permative vote in committee to be considered on the floor of the Senate. All that's required is the Senate majority leader has to file a discharge position. If you have fifty one votes or fifty plus the Vice President, you can confirm someone. So yes, he'll dig in his heels. This could add to the drama, but it doesn't stop Kevin Warsh from being confirmed if the Senate majority leader in fifty one members of the Senate want him confirmed. So that's why the base case remains Kevin Warsh will be in the job sooner rather than later. May sixteenth around then, I mean, we still have a month here. We got all of the financial forms, all of the forums are now filed yesterday. Kind of the paperwork is done. Now it's time for a confirmation hearing. That goes, well, you just bring it to the floor. Prioritize this. He's confirmed.
Speaker 4: Okay, So then what happens when the President says the FED chair doesn't leave on time. He's going to be fired. Do you think the president means his chairmanship or his governorship which ends in twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 5: It's a good question because if you look at the Federal Reserve Act, there isn't anything related to firing the chair. There is about firing governors for cause, and so you could make the case that the chair could be fired and that role, but the individual governor is going to be decided by the Supreme Court ultimately. The other thing we'd look at, and this is what we've seen in the past, is that the FOMC actually chooses its own chair. So the FED, the president could fire him as chair of the Fed, but the FOMC would then pretty quickly reaffirm him as chair of the policy making decisions related to monetary policy, which is what the market actually really cares about.
Speaker 3: Amory, is this an ego issue or is this an issue trying to get interest rates lower?
Speaker 5: I think it's a combination. I think this is just a pattern. You asked her, like, why do we do this? He had an off ramp, he didn't take it. How many times have we said it was right there? And then he did something that made it harder to actually happen. So this here is I think a pattern. I know that he wants this to be confirmed. I think that they could have confirmed him earlier than kind of the May fifteenth and maybe pushed him on. We've had the DOJ show up at the FED. As we saw, the FED didn't let him in. And so anytime that there is a conflict between like, you don't let my guys do what I want them to do. You don't get to dictate that, I get to dictate that. I think this is behind that. I think he's seeing some of these stories that the Federal Reserve Police Force didn't let his folks in, and he's going to kind of establish this as I'm the one in charge.
Speaker 3: From a market's perspective, it's popcorn. Watch this in your free time, But it has no relevance to anything unless it starts to increase some of the pressure on Kevin worsh Should he get confirmed to lower rates in the face of inflation that is somewhat higher and a really resistant FED board that has pushed back significantly. So at what point does it enter the market's frame and some sort of relevant point other than just popcorn.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So two things I say the market always tests the new Fed cheer, and we're going to see kind of that in rates more than you know, kind of the equity markets. But obviously that spills over to the equity markets. The conversation is going to be about the FED balance sheet. Is he going to force that to be shrunk? Number two. I think that Scott Bessen provided Warsh with a huge amount of political cover this week saying maybe it's not the time to cut rates. So next week in his confirmation hearing, you know, as kind of democratic senators are going to say, are you going to do the president's bidding? And are you going to cut rates even if inflation is higher, even in the face of this war. It's like, look, I'm going to look what the data is. There is a debate about this. Even the Treasury Secretary said maybe it's not.
Speaker 2: The time just yet, so we will see.
Speaker 5: I think the market has taken out the price, you know, kind of the the cuts for this year pushed it into next year. I think that is now the base case. Thankfully, he'll have that political cover as he's debating this in the Senate Banking Committee next week.
Speaker 4: And you mentioned the fact that US prosecutors made this prize visit to the Fed. The market doesn't seem to care about that at all. If that happened in a country like Turkey, it'd be a massive deal. Why is it not a big deal here?
Speaker 5: Because it's a continuation of a story that most have decided is not a story.
Speaker 4: Right, doesn't matter?
Speaker 5: No, I mean it's like it's the you know, we are talking about a renovation of a building. Anyone who walks by or drives by have seen a construction project there that is massive for years. We recognize that there are constraints on the way in which these are built. They're actually a Federal Reserve Act kind of dictates the number of buildings that the FED is allowed to have, which drives up these construction costs. And so to the extent that this is about a monetary policy, that would be a bigger deal. But if it's over a construction project, yeah, it's like it's a very expensive marble.
Speaker 2: Stay with us. Mulplendex. Savan's coming up off to this. So here's the laces this morning. Whatll Street banks reporting at least one hundred billion dollars of exposure to private credit firms has investors question the durability of the sector, Gay Vonderlin, the CEO of Schroder's Capital writing, weaker players are being exposed while stronger disciplined investors stand out. Okay, joined us now for more. Welcome to the program, and welcome to New York. It's good to see you, sir, Thank you, and thank you for having me. Can you help us understand the difference between a liquidity driven repricing and a structural credit event. Just explain to us one versus the other, and what you think.
Speaker 6: This is very happy too, and it probably links nicely to some of the commands made earlier and other executives in the industry. Effectively, what the market isn't really differentiating right now is liquidity distress in semi liquid vehicles so linked to structures ultimately in funds versus impairments of underlying assets. So what we have is liquidity distress in essentially retail oriented structures. So funds that have sold they have been sold to retail investors in some cases where probably these investors haven't fully understood what they're investing in. In some cases may be compounded by the fact that the software exposure and the market is trying to price software and revalue ultimately software in the light of upcoming anticipated software disruption. Note it hasn't happened yet, And essentially the real distress or on pairment of underlying assets, which isn't which isn't there't which isn't happening. So that effectively is the difference between the two.
Speaker 2: What does it mean for you and the team and the justifications you've seen so far the money that you're looking to put to work.
Speaker 6: So I mean for us just first of all, to note we're not a direct lender. We are focusing on sectors which we think is the sort of the boring, sexy part of the new the boring part of the market, i e. Sort of lending against infrastructure assets, lending against real estate assets, lending against on an asset back basis, for example, against hard assets where we have better collateral, which is less sicknically exposed. And I think to us that as a key opportunity also going forward to investors to build more resilience into their portfolios by embracing this next to the exposures that have in direct.
Speaker 3: Lending at a time of rapid change, a dislocation. The idea of AI and what that could potentially do in transforming business. Is there an advantage to being illiquid versus liquid with respect your asset allocation?
Speaker 6: I think it's you know, like, broadly speaking, this gets to the advantages of private markets. Generally speaking, I think you want to be both. Really, I think there is no way an investor can only be liquid or only be liquid. I mean, effectively, private markets roughly capture probably eighty percent of the economy, depending on how you count it. I mean, in terms of businesses in the United States is probably ninety nine percent of businesses are not listed. Eighty percent of the workforce is working for non listed companies. I mean, it's a bit hard to gauge, really, but it's such a big part of the economy. A lot of the innovation economy is actually happening in the understated space. A lot of actively real assets, infrastructure, real estate is not really suitable for listings. And then there's obviously also bigger listed companies, and so in any portfolio there will have to be there will have to be both.
Speaker 3: Do you think that iliquid assets need to have a higher bar for transparency given that one of the big concerns is that a number of lenders are mismarking their books or marking aggressively and optimistically just how high some of the valuations could be.
Speaker 6: I think the issue is much more the how you deal with this in the context of semi liquid structures or liquid structures where you can trade in and out of liquid assets, rather than effectively the time lag and valuations and the approach to valuations in liquids in general. So you don't have a problem in in liquid funds ultimately or on celos even in the private credit space really whether there is no trading in and out so you know, essentially the daily volatility and themes which are played through the stock market, Like you know, should valuations for software companies be lower now because there will be disrupt in the future even though earnings are still very much where you know, unchanged and very much in a good territory. Isn't something that a private market fund would reflect on a daily basis. However, if you have investors that can trade in and out, either daily or on a quality basis, you all of a suddenly have that issue translating into these types of structures. And I guess this is where the ultimately the issue arises, and for me, the question is ultimately whether whether then investors fully understand what they've brought into and the fact that the underlying asset is ultimately I liquid and the mechanisms that prevent single investors from trading out from trading out and contagion to spread to a broader group of investors just because of sentiment.
Speaker 2: Clearly things haven't gone right for the industry over the last few months. With a minute, we have left what should the lessons be of the last few months for the industry?
Speaker 6: So I guess you know, I mean to say it, maybe slightly provocative, provocaty, growing too quickly in certain areas, essentially and selling too much of one thing, maybe with slightly too much diverse too little diversification, too much sector exposure in certain areas. Maybe also a degree of lack of discipline in terms of underwriting in the twenty twenty one, twenty twenties pre the change and the rate environment is something that now has to feed through the system per se. That's not an issue. And it's also not leading to credit losses, to just say this again, And it's also not leading loss to losses in private equity, but probably a series of vintages that will have slightly lower performance.
Speaker 2: This is the Bloomberg Seventents podcast, bringing you the best in markets, economics, antient politics. You can watch the show live on Bloomberg TV weekday mornings from six am to nine am Eastern. Subscribe to the podcast on Apple, Spotify, or anywhere else you listen, and as always, on the Bloomberg Terminal and the Bloomberg Business appo