Speaker 1: I think this version of the Little Mermaid is even more trans than the cartoon.
Speaker 2: She's sheen im.
Speaker 3: Me no, may not my name? Yo? Yo yo?
Speaker 2: What is your child? I am a cook?
Speaker 3: You know what's going down? Before round?
Speaker 1: Welcome to the Like a Virgin Patreon where we talk about stuff that we want you to pay money to listen to. I'm roised on you and I'm fran Torado, and we're fulfilling the promise of our Little Mermaid DVD commentary, which if you haven't listened to, you definitely should. It's very funny. We have now both seen the live action Little Mermaid and we're going to talk all about it. And I actually have some friends to help.
Speaker 2: Me do that.
Speaker 3: Oh do oh?
Speaker 2: I think I know what this is. Virgins?
Speaker 3: Oh wow, Mike down, woman down? Wait wait keep we're keeping all of this. Okay, the virgins can't see. But Rose has a friend recording with me. Lifted up a limited edition Hallie Bailey.
Speaker 1: As it is not limited edition, that's like sell it at Target. They sell it a Target. It will be made forever. So there's just one friend. This is one friend who I have, and then another friend who I have is is that the Vanessa.
Speaker 2: Oh no, this is.
Speaker 1: Human aerial and her like blue dress and her sandals.
Speaker 3: Oh, her sandals are very lesbian.
Speaker 2: And then I do have Vanessa.
Speaker 3: I love that you have Vanessa. Is that Vanessa from twenty twenty three or is that a vintage Vanessa?
Speaker 2: No, this is Vanessa from twenty twenty three. Wow.
Speaker 3: I'm so shook that they made a Vanessa doll too, because like, she's such a small part of the movie. They like kind of, but she's an iconic part, which we'll get to. Yes, are Rose and I have big, big, big, like lots of thoughts about this, Like I feel like.
Speaker 2: Can I guess?
Speaker 1: I can I guess?
Speaker 2: Can I guess what you thought about it? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I would love that.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I loved it. So I'm assuming you didn't you loved it. I loved it, Okay.
Speaker 3: I loved my experience of watching the movie. I would absolutely watch it again. I did not think it was an amazing movie. But I thought that Hallie say that to Halle's face as I was about to say.
Speaker 2: That, Wait, we need we're gonna spread. What do you think of my movie?
Speaker 3: Fand Roses holding up the Bailey, Barbie and it's actually one of the funniest inside of.
Speaker 2: So I was gonna say it again, say it again to her face, So say it to her.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, I did not think, Oh, wow, her mole is present. I love that.
Speaker 2: And look she has she has edges too.
Speaker 3: Wow, she looks so good. I was gonna say, I did not think it was an amazing movie, like on the kind of construct and like creative directorial level. But I thought that Halle Bailey was amazing, and I will watch that movie over. I will watch that movie again just for Halle Bailey. Like to me, very extreme statement incoming. I feel personally that Halle Bailey has given us the greatest contribution to the Disney Princess cinematic universe since Lea Slanga gave us Mulan like. I adored her and her performance, and it was untouchable to me as far as all other as far as Rose is still playing with the doll.
Speaker 2: As far I've been playing with in the.
Speaker 3: Grand scheme of Disney reboots, of which I have seen almost all of them, I think I haven't seen Dumbo or jungle Book. I actually heard jungle Book was pret good. But I've seen all the other ones, and I felt like this was far and beyond way better than the other reboots. I know that's a very low bar, but that's what I'll say. Okay, I think it's a good place to start. I feel like we both really liked our experience.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, okay, so I loved it. I I gave it when on my letterboxed review, I gave it a four point five out of five.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: I Hallie was incredible.
Speaker 2: She had.
Speaker 1: She brought such such a lovely softness to the role. She was so innocent and effervescent, and she really was a Disney princess exactly. She was so expressive the part of the movie where she couldn't talk, like her feelings were still all on her face.
Speaker 2: She was beautiful.
Speaker 1: Her voice was incredible, bowl.
Speaker 2: And I loved the movie.
Speaker 1: There was enough different about it that while I was watching it, I found myself thinking, Oh, Like I found myself not like wondering what was going to happen next, and like, obviously I know what's going to happen next because it's the Little Mermaid, but I was still it took me along for the ride. I was still like fully immersed in the narrative and like everything was still like surprising and funny.
Speaker 2: I thought it was beautiful.
Speaker 1: You know some of the cgi stuff, like was a little entranning Valley, you mean her.
Speaker 3: Fall face of makeup, her fall like Pat McGrath beat Underwater. Yeah, but you know that's just like magic, magic Disney movie. I was about Mermaid's like I could not spend I was not distracted. I honestly didn't even I wasn't even thinking about it until someone brought it up to me after I had seen the movie.
Speaker 1: I thought her her tail was beautiful. I thought like all of the sea creatures were really well articulated, even like you, I know, Sebastian Flounder, which there was obviously so much conversation around in the lead up to the movie, like yes, the first time you see them, they're a little startling. But that feeling for me passed very quickly and I was fully immersed in the movie. I loved the music, you know, the new linn Manuel Miranda songs like I don't love him as a songwriter, but Halle's like I just Got Legs song was fun and catchy. Prince Eric's song was so good. Also, Prince Prince Eric. I need him biblically. I am in love with him, and I thought he and Hallie had incredible chemistry. I thought there scenes of them, like running around the island were so effective and so fun. I loved the sort of fan servicing moments like when Jody Benson gave.
Speaker 2: Her the fork.
Speaker 3: Was Jody Benson?
Speaker 2: Jody bensid so amazing?
Speaker 1: Okay, I sobbed through so much of the movie.
Speaker 2: I cried. I cried so much.
Speaker 3: What was your biggest crime moment?
Speaker 1: I think it was probably.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: I mean, the one that sticks out to me the most was during the shipwreck when Ariel saves Max the dog and helps him get to the boat.
Speaker 3: That to me, I was I was gad, that was really that was really beautiful. I I definitely cried during a lot of Halle Bailey songs just because her her voice is so emotional and perfect. I want to respond to a few different things you said, So Okay, I'm gonna make.
Speaker 1: Sure I'm gonna help you respond to her, to her, to her and you.
Speaker 2: Know what, and to Vanessa.
Speaker 3: Vanessa. We'll get to you, Vanessa.
Speaker 1: If you'd like to hear this full episode in our full conversation about The Little Mermaid twenty twenty three and how it potentially exists in a shared SONMTAC universe with brand's favorite film, Shoke a Lot. You can get that over on our Patreon, Patreon dot com slash
Speaker 2: Like a Virgin