Speaker 1: I am all in again.
Speaker 2: Let Hi, I am all in again with Scott Patterson in iHeartRadio Podcast.
Speaker 1: Hey everybody, Scott Patterson, I am all in Podcast one eleven productions, iHeart Radio, iHeart Media, iHeart Podcast. We have a very special guest, Kendall Schmidt is joining us. Hello Kendall, thank you for joining us. Hi high Hi. We probably know him best as the lead singer of Big Time Rush, but his career started long before that. He's been acting since childhood, with roles in E. R. Frasier and Gilmore Girls. Appeared in season two episode five, Nick and Nora Sitting Nancy as kid number one, and return in season three episode three, Application Anxiety as Peter. We're excited to have him here. Welcome Kendall. How are you? And I understand so good?
Speaker 3: I'm so good. It's so funny, the U, the characters. I'm surprised they even had names number one.
Speaker 4: They all have names Kid number one Peter.
Speaker 3: Just like you guys needed a for a couple episodes, if you just needed a kid, I was there to be the kid in the.
Speaker 1: Episode, and so you did. You did two total episodes, and uh, here you are here. I am and you're a big rock star and uh, you know you you're just taking the world by storm. And we'll get into all We're going to get into all that. But what'd you think of this episode? Emily? In Wonderland air date April twenty sixty, two thousand and one, Roy takes her grandmother around Stars Hollow for a day and she's horrified to see where Laura, Lie and Rory first lived. Directed by Perry Lang, written by Linda Guzik and John Stevens. I enjoyed this episode. I have to say it was great.
Speaker 3: I had my wife giving me a background the entire time, you know, because I haven't seen every episode like she has, right right, So I said, oh, and this.
Speaker 4: Is what's going on here and everything. I'm like, okay, she's actually in the house watching Gilmore Girls right now.
Speaker 1: So gosh, yeah, it was a nice episode. It was a really nice journey through Laurla and Rory's past in a very clever way, and a very shocking scene where Emily and we'll get into it, where Emily finally sees where Laurel, I and Rory first had their first kind of place and Stars Hollow, and what a reaction that was. Man. All right, So we're sitting here Friday night dinner. Rory asked Emily for family baby pictures, and we find out that Laura I, who has a nickname of a big head when she was a child because her head was enlarged.
Speaker 4: She's got big hair, She's got big hair for sure, but.
Speaker 1: We learned that she burned all of her baby pictures because her head was too big, and that's why there are no photographs of a young baby Larela or even a Talibar. They have a furniture discussion, they talk about the chairs. That's when Rory mentions Kim's antiques and Stars Hollow. Emily becomes interested suddenly in checking that out because she can't she can't get any good antiques in Connecticut. She's she's she's out of luck. And Lorela attempts to talk to Emily out of her curiosity over that particular store, like she doesn't want Emily coming to Stars Hollow. Tara, what do you think about this scene?
Speaker 5: I feel like Emily and miss Kim could be great friends, to be honest with you, that was my first thought. But yeah, I mean, I love the scene at the dinner table, and I think that it was the first time that we're going to see Emily really see their life in Stars Hollow, right, and it's set up. It's the setup to a big storyline coming.
Speaker 1: It Isn't it amazing? Though? After all these years, I mean sixteen years, and has she ever been to Stars Hollow? Do you think that's odd?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I mean it's also there are there are parts where I'm like the inconsistencies of it a little bit and this, and Susanna and I get into this in our episode the town Meeting episodes, but you know, like I don't understand when she moved into that shed. We'll get there, but like it didn't seem consistent with when Laura l I moved out.
Speaker 6: So it was just interesting. Yeah, it was a little interesting.
Speaker 1: How like.
Speaker 5: Did she move out the second like she got pregnant, when she had the baby?
Speaker 1: You know, I.
Speaker 6: Didn't really know the history there right by.
Speaker 3: By episode nineteen right season in the first season. So I'm always wondering how much the writers like think about the actually all of the different backstory, things that wouldn't you know, that don't exist in real life, but that need to exist in order to build the characters right, and and how much like and now they've gotten nineteen episodes in that's a lot of writing.
Speaker 1: Well, I think I think they probably do plan for a lot. You know, they'll they'll plan out a couple of seasons out and then they'll do a backstory thing. But there's always things that come up that bite you, like, oh god, we didn't there's the whole world right, right right. No matter how thorough you are, right, no matter how large your bible is, your writer's bible is, there's always going to be something that like, oh, no, what are we going to do about this situation? Because we didn't come right.
Speaker 3: That she never would have been there at all. I mean, you know, I know some people don't see their parents very often, but I also thought when I saw you know, you know, it's like when you have people come over and you go, oh, sorry, the place is a mess. You know, you know, please forgive me, you know, don't worry about that. And of course when you go over to someone's house, you're never sitting there unless their house is a real mess.
Speaker 4: You're not sitting there walking around going like oh geez mes, yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean very most you're like, well kind of weird furniture. But I thought, like, I thought that for being a single mother, their house is really cute. And you know, maybe it's not all the finest appliances and stuff like that, but I was thinking, like, I'd be proud of this place. It's really kitchy and they have a lot of you know, cute items, and I thought it was kind of a nice house, to be honest with you.
Speaker 1: So it's a nice little house for two people. That's perfect. It is kind of perfect. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, obviously she's coming from being super wealthy and everything like that, but you know, I'm like, kind of kind of a nice house. I'm impressive for a woman off being a single.
Speaker 4: Mother basically and a new town and all that stuff.
Speaker 1: All right, Yeah, yeah, would you rather live in a mansion with all the stress or in a cute little house in a nice town with none.
Speaker 4: Honestly, me and my wife say this all the time. Little house, big.
Speaker 1: Life, Right there, you go, that's what they have.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, so Emily and Rory make plans to visit Stars Hollow on Saturday. She's going to put off some studying and Laurel I have some pretty funny moments about how she's not going to be available Saturday, and Emily says, well, nobody really asked you to jump? Why do you think, Well, it's pretty obvious why Emily is so eager to see Stars hollow. She wants to spend time with her granddaughter. It's not it's not Star's hollow. It's it's getting to know Rory. Right, she gets to relive, She gets another bite at the apple, as it were, to like not screw up, you know what I mean, Like like the way she did with Laurel I. Now she's got a she's got a second chance with with Rory to establish a relationship.
Speaker 3: Makes you wonder why at that time, you know that she's like so curious about it, re establishing the relationship. And I also think it's funny how hard she is on Laurel I as well, considering she's trying to connect with her granddaughter.
Speaker 4: And then she's like, but you can bug off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, in her mind, Laurel is just a lost cause she knows she's not going to have a relationship. Whether there's too much water under that bridge. And I mean, that's at least the impression we're getting at this point, and that's coming to the end of season one, and that's where obviously the right is taking us, and that's where it should take us, because there's then then you have to come back from that. So now we're in the diner. A lot of a lot of diner stuff, a lot of Luke, Rachel, Laureleye stuff in this episode, right right. And Rachel's so nice, you know, she wants to be buddies with the Laurel I and here I took a picture of you two and you know, sitting there on the bench.
Speaker 6: Just really awkward, like, hey, let's take a picture of you with my ex.
Speaker 1: And then I'm going to give you a blow. You not nice here? Remember it? He's mine now? So yeah, And then she talks about the dragonfly and she took a picture of dragonfly in and Laura they make a date to go see it. Luke has a little bit of a problem with it. I guess not much, but it's just like whatever, And it's really just setting up that scene in the in the storage room for later. But what'd you guys think of this scene?
Speaker 4: Well, awkward, that's the impression I got. I was thinking. It made me think of It's not exactly the same situation.
Speaker 3: But there's that. There's a video I saw one time. It was like a comedy video, and it was like having a conversation with your platonic friends. This guy having a conversation with this girl and he's and she's like.
Speaker 4: How you been.
Speaker 3: He's like, oh, good, good, you know, I've been great, you know, just friends. And then he's like how you been. She goes, well, Todd and I broke up, and then you know, oh, he says he just got into a relationship and how great it is. And then he asks her and how she goes, well, Todd and I broke up, and then his whole life crumbles before him because this is the friend that was always they were just platonic and they never you know.
Speaker 4: Connected like that.
Speaker 3: And she's saying, like, I just A'm thinking about getting out and being wild and everything, and he's like, oh god, right, I think that. I mean, is that sort of tension that, if you will, that sexual tension between Laura Li and Luke is that going all the way from the very beginning of season one?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, basically yeah, but they're not acting on it, and they had a couple of chances and they're just not going to act on it right now, and everybody's going their separate ways. It's like, oh, well, but I mean it's like it's a small town. You really want to get involved with the diner owner, you know, yeah, that kind of thing, even.
Speaker 4: Though it's pretty he's pretty cool, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but still it's like, got it. You want to you go there every day with your daughter, You want to have food day, you want to relax. You don't want to have all that stuff. I don't blame her, you know, for for being so cautious.
Speaker 6: She also can't help it.
Speaker 1: Can't help what because she's addicted to coffee?
Speaker 6: No, that she has a crash on Luke, Like she doesn't want to admit it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that but but if they're together, if they get together, that completely changes the relationship.
Speaker 5: No, I know, but I feel like she has these moments like talking to Rachel, where she's always wondering, like what Luke's like in a relationship.
Speaker 6: That's how I took it.
Speaker 1: Right, right anyway, nice dynamics. I think Rachel's a pretty appealing character, right, She's very likable. You really believe that she grew up there and she was one of those there. There's always a subset of people in towns like that that want to get the heck out of there, that's stifled by the place, and they want to go out and see the world. And she's one of them. Right now, we're at the end. Very funny stuff here. Anytime you have a Max Perlock as Rune, it's going to be a good scene. So he's in the lobby, we see Roon again, and he's staying with Jackson. And you know, Suki doesn't know how to tell Laurelai this. They don't know how to tell Laurala I that that run is in town staying with Jackson, but that that Rune needs a place to stay and he needs a job and this is all falling of Laura. What did you guys think of this?
Speaker 5: I mean, Kendall, do you know what happened with Ruin? Did Mika explain this to you?
Speaker 3: She gave me a little bit of the backstory. But I know that he's kind of uh not bad apples not the right word, but a challenging character.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but can.
Speaker 4: You explain why he's challenging that? That part I didn't get.
Speaker 1: Is he just like, well they went on a date together, Well they were not.
Speaker 5: They was kind of like forced because Suki and Jackson were on a date. And then he pulled Jackson aside and was like, I can't date her. She's tall, like right in Laurel's house and am amazon. And he was just rude throughout the whole dinner and just make comments like why did you set me up with her? Right?
Speaker 1: Basically he was not appreciative of who he was having a date with. He just he didn't say it. He was like, no, I'm out, I can't do this. It was really funny.
Speaker 4: Anything ever come up with them? Like do they ever go on another date?
Speaker 1: Oh? No?
Speaker 6: It was like stay far away. So that's why when he comes up, you're like, why is he here?
Speaker 1: Right to work?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, where did he come from?
Speaker 6: Jackson's cousin?
Speaker 4: Right, and he doesn't have a job, he doesn't have a place to stay.
Speaker 6: No, he was visiting.
Speaker 3: He wasn't exactly a catch either, No, no, yeah, to say the least.
Speaker 1: The thing I love about the Palatinos is they they know families very well because there's always somebody, there's always a cousin. You know, you get Lizen TJ right, you get now, you got roun you get Jackson with a roon. It's just so good.
Speaker 4: Family to which cousin is that?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, everybody has one, you know, there's one or two, there's no question about it.
Speaker 3: It's so weird thinking about it now with having a baby and then my brother and my siblings and my wife's siblings having kids and stuff, all the cousins, and I'm like, my god, which one of this generation is going to be that cousin?
Speaker 4: It's not mine?
Speaker 1: All right? So Emily, Emily's now and stars hollow and she's wearing she's she's wearing glarelized socks and sneakers and and it's the only way she can she can motor around town and comfort. She's not happy about it, but then she kind of gets used to it and she's swallowing and she's feeling pretty good. And you know, they go into they go into Kim's antiques, and immediately Emily and missus Kin get into a negotiating battle over a very fine piece of furniture that missus Kim wants thirty two hundred for and Emily offers two. And they go back and forth and back and forth and back and forth, and Emily just falls in love with missus Kimp because she's as tough as she is, right, And let's talk about the parallels between and the similarities between missus Kim and her experience with Lane. How she's raising Lane and how Emily apparently was raising Laurelai at the same age. Isn't that interesting? But these two would be friends. They're very similar. Is Lane a young Larelai?
Speaker 5: Probably as someone who was really sheltered and wanted to get out. I think I don't think they're exactly the same, but I think there are the similarities there.
Speaker 6: And having protective.
Speaker 4: Parents they give similar energy for sure.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's funny that you said earlier that they would be friends.
Speaker 3: That's really clever writing as well to put that together, because that could be a missed opportunity there to to not have them connect, you know, on the fact that they're similar missus Kim and and Emily and I I actually thought the thirty by the way, in two thousand is an expensive piece of furniture. Yeah, you know, like that's that's outrageous, Like that's like ten thousand dollars in today's money.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, what was the what was it?
Speaker 4: Was it like a chess these.
Speaker 1: Are old antiques, rare pieces. You know. Emily was she scoured every antiques store in Connecticut until she told she was stupidly told her friend about all of these great places, and she went and bought everything up and left Emily out to dry. So Emily had to find a new source. She found She found it with missus Kim. So, yeah, that.
Speaker 5: Stuff's expensive, like anyone in stars Hollow buying that. I don't think anyone in Star Starts Hollows shopping there.
Speaker 3: There's places that in Vermont that remind me of that where you know, you go it's an I know it's an antique store, you know, and I know that some of these things are a couple hundred years old. But you're like, I just was looking for a coffee table, and I don't want to buy something from Ikia, but also I don't think I can buy this Louis the fifteenth coffee table for twenty five thousand dollars.
Speaker 4: Like, have you ever gone on first DIBs or not?
Speaker 3: First DIBs? Yeah, first DIBs. It's like that website that sells antiques stuff like that. You're like, Oh, I'm gonna go in here and find something interesting. Of course everything is twenty grand Peace, but yeah, there's places like that in Vermont that remind me of that. Everything in there and you're like, I don't think the people around here are.
Speaker 4: Buying this stuff. I think, yeah, coming up and you know, yeah they have.
Speaker 1: They have antique shops all all over the North Northeast.
Speaker 6: People driving through or buying.
Speaker 4: Yeah, some of the best antiquing there is absolutely.
Speaker 1: All right. So now we're at the abandoned in with Rachel and Lorelei and they have their conversation and laurel I shares her vision that includes Suki, and Rachel shares that she wants wanted to be a photographer, to be anywhere but there and start as hollow. So she got out. So they're kind of, you know, they're bonding a little bit. Suki is being funny and you know, kind of freaked out about the prospect of buying the place and having to renovate it, and but she's excited at the same time. And hilarious h little appearance by by Melissa McCarthy. It was really a funny scene. And then Rachel lowers the boom tells laurel I she's ready to settle down with Luke and then we see that look on laurel Ized face and you never see it coming, do you? They really know how to drop in these these story beats, right, because these are like necessary story beats. This is storytelling. You know, how are we going to drop this in? Why aren't we going to get this in? And then there it is, boom. You just don't see it coming with these With these two, it's it's really fantastic writing. What'd you guys think of this? Were you surprised when when? Because I was surprised when Rachel said it's time to settle down.
Speaker 5: I mean we've only seen her for a couple of episodes, so yeah, like if we're going back, I think she's been in like two or three before this, so it kind of was shocking.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, if you're going to have that character right, you need they have to. Something's got to happen quick otherwise people lose interest in the character.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: Well, now we're really going to lose interest in her because she's going to take look away from Lorealizes. So they're gonna you know, they're going to storm the.
Speaker 5: Poor Cullis with pitchforks, you know, it's Yeah, they're not setting us up to like her that much.
Speaker 1: So what do you think here? Here's an interesting question. Rachel is constantly expressing her desire prior to this, even even in this scene, her desire to be anywhere but stars hollow. How do you think that affects Laureli? Right, I was going to say, do you think that's offensive to Laurel? I?
Speaker 3: Yeah, And Luke I would imagine he's he seems like he's a I mean, he would be the definition of a towny, right, He's a towny. He's the guy he owns a cafe. So her wanting to get out, I mean that obviously means that she's trying to get him, pull him out of town.
Speaker 1: Certain people are struck by wanderlust, right. They just want to see the world. There's nothing wrong with that. Most people don't. They want to stay in town and and they want to have their friends and their family, and they don't want to leave the town very often or if at all. But she's just one of these, you know, she's wild at hard I guess, and she just wants to see the world. Nothing wrong with that.
Speaker 6: And she's left before.
Speaker 5: So it's interesting that she's saying this now because I think Lurla's probably thinking, well, is she going to leave again?
Speaker 1: Right? How many times has she done this to Luke? It's like millions of times. They use the word millions, so she must have done she does this all the time, all the time.
Speaker 4: It's called doing a geographical Oh is that geographic? Geographical?
Speaker 3: It's like that's a therapy term right where it's like, you know, you can move to another place, but you know, if you don't address the problem, then you're just moving your problem to another place.
Speaker 4: Right, You're just.
Speaker 3: Going, well, maybe life would get better if I lived in Hawaii, which it might arguably, I might be better. But yeah, she seems like she might have that sort of I mean, what do you what are you running from?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Maybe just not wanting to be stagnant in a town or something like that. But it makes me think of I remember I've read this somewhere about maybe it was in one of those like Stapiens books or something like that, but it was like that there's no there's no human like biological prerogative to travel, you know what I mean? The real you just humans just need food, water and shelter and stuff.
Speaker 4: Like that. But so like traveling is like a new thing, you know, and.
Speaker 3: Some people like I just I gotta get out of here. I gotta go, I gotta go. It's interesting because there isn't and it's more of a psychological thing. It's not a necessity, actual necessity to live a good life. You don't have to travel, that's true, especially.
Speaker 4: A cute town like Stars Hollow.
Speaker 3: You know, you could, you know, you could live in a cute town like that your whole life, as long as you maybe go on a couple of vacations a year.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: When I was growing up and reading books, and I was always wondering what these places were like and wanting to go there, you know, right, because there's stories attached to it, and it's more than just going to a place. It's sort of revisiting your childhood almost, you know, and discovering, you know again, all those feelings you had while you were learning about that place and those events that took place, and whether it's a poet that you particularly like, and you can walk that that that road to Paris from Charlesville and you know, retrace their footsteps and that kind of thing. So yeah, but I yeah, I think I think you're right. It's probably uh, you know, with the with the industrial age and the ease with which people can transport themselves. Yeah, that's the traveling became a thing.
Speaker 4: You're crazy.
Speaker 3: If you just buy a ticket, you can be in you know, if you can get the ticket, you can be in Paris tomorrow.
Speaker 5: Yeah you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, actually I guess if that's right now.
Speaker 1: Wild right, right, It wouldn't take three years to get there by foot, right because you had to work, because you had to work jobs along the way to get there, like like in the middle of the eighteenth century. So, uh, we're back at the end. Run is uh. Now, this is one of the finer scenes I think in the entire episode with Michelle and Run and Michelle are going at it and Michelle doesn't believe him that, you know, he has a job there and that he's going to live there. He's like, go away, little tiny man. You don't know what he believes you. And Emily and Rory come in and and Emily meets Michelle and they of course hit it off. The famous oh.
Speaker 5: Yeah, his French accent was all she needed.
Speaker 1: Right, that's it. A couple of French words and she was done, and laurelized a little shocked by Emily's shoes, a choice of restaurant, and her pleasant mood. I don't know that she's ever seen her mother like this, right.
Speaker 6: Definitely, not in those shoes.
Speaker 1: Not in those shoes. And Rory and Emily are having a really great time, aren't they. I mean they're really really. I mean, Rory's just having a great day and she's beaming because she's with her grandma, and that is just so sweet.
Speaker 5: It is one of those things where you're like, they're having too good of a time. Something's going to happen.
Speaker 1: Did you feel that way? Did you feel something was coming? Because I didn't. I didn't remember where this was going.
Speaker 5: I did, But even before that, I was like, Emily always turns, so I knew something would happen.
Speaker 4: Right. It makes Lorla jealous a little bit too to see.
Speaker 3: Them bonding, right, I mean, that's totally I guess jealous is the only word I can think of, but the sort of like, well, why wasn't it like that for me? And also thinking it's like, you know when someone's really nice to you because they want something. So I'm sure she feels a little bit like, what is this manipulation? What is this manipulation technique.
Speaker 4: That she's got? Now? Now she wants to like act like.
Speaker 5: You know, yeah, and she always sees like she kind of tries to see the bad in her mom. She never tries to see the good because I think it did start.
Speaker 6: Out as good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I think laurla I is still kind of in her trauma. You know, it's a trauma response every time she sees her mom, and that's where all the humor's coming from. It's a defense mechanism. She's just traumatized by the woman. So that's her reflexive defenses. And then we at the height of Emily's joy with stars hollow, the swans, the lake, the white picket fence, the lawn, the charming cottage in the back, the gardening shed. Here we come. That's when it all ends. Did you you guys didn't see this coming? Terry Kendall, what was your impression of this when Emily, I mean, you didn't know the story, right, so a little bit harder for me, right, right? So what did you think of this scene? Did you have to ask your wife like, hey, what what's going on here?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: She did have to explain it to me. She was as much backstory as possible. Are we talking about when she's at the base.
Speaker 1: Shed, no where, the gardening shed where Laurel I ran to when Rory was a baby and they lived in the owner of the dragon Fly in who was still employing laurle I took pity on Laura I as a sixteen year old with a baby. Right now, we're in Luke's apartment and this is the first time so we got so we're dealing with curtains that Luke chose that Laura I finds out that Rachel didn't choose them, and it's the first time she's in there. Not that she ever thought about Luke's apartment. She's always sort of like stumbling around Rachel and getting to explain me with her right Rachel said she doesn't think she will always stay in the stars Hollow. Again, here we are with like, I'm out of here, and so that's all this character says is like, I want to get out of here, and you know, she's got a prompt So she goes to Laura I and she says, can you help me with my problem? My problem is I can't convince Luke that I'm that I'm going to actually stay this time because I you know, I've only run out on them about thirty times. But and we don't know, right, It makes me wonder, It makes me want to know more about what the heck happened between these two and they're telling us, but you know, you'd really rather see it. And so she asked Laura if if if she can give her a little help in that regard, and Laura I agree, says yeah, you know, did she agree?
Speaker 6: She did?
Speaker 1: She did agree. What do you think of this? That's putting Laura in a very awkward position, isn't it. And here's here's the real question. Do you think Rachel's aware that Laura I and Luke maybe have feelings for John?
Speaker 6: I think she can see it, right.
Speaker 3: I mean, if she's seen the same thing that we're seeing, because we don't know, we don't know if if it looks a little different in the actual world that they're in, you know that the characters are in. But I mean, if any casual observer could see that there's a tension between the two of them. And I was thinking, like, are either one of them like a girls girl?
Speaker 4: You know what?
Speaker 3: I mean by that where it's like, you know, she's she's a, hey, we do this favor for me. You know, I need your help, and it's like kind of a kind thing to do. But are either of them girls girls like.
Speaker 4: Broad? I don't know what the opposite of it is, but I.
Speaker 6: Think Laura I is.
Speaker 5: I don't think we know enough about Rachel, but off the bat, probably not. I don't think she probably moves around too much where she hasn't established like real relationships like that. But again, we haven't learned that much about.
Speaker 6: Her to know.
Speaker 1: You know why, I think Rachel asked her to do that. I think Rachel asked Laurela to do that because it was really a test. She was testing local Laura Lai to see what they're feelings really work or for each other, which would inform her decision to stay or leave right, because she suspects there's probably something going on because right, like Kendall said, you can feel that energy, right, and she's I mean, she's coming into this situation and she sees this. You know, laural lies beautiful and she's sitting there and you know, a girl girls can tell, right, they can really tell. I mean, guys can tell when other guys like their women. You know, it's it's it's just instinctual. We do well, no, we do, we do? We do? Come on, let's face it. You know, the radars out and you know it, man, you know when somebody's locked on and and I think, yeah, this is just a heat check for for for for Rachel. And I don't know if she's I don't know. I wouldn't accuse her of being manipulative, but it's like, I think she's just sort of like trying to justify another exit stage left because now she's in a situation where she really wanted to come back, she really wanted to start something. But gosh, I don't know that. Why is Luke being so stubborn? And it's like because of Laurala and Laura, I would you help me out with this problem? And she kind of thinks she knows already what the answer is going to be.
Speaker 6: You have a point.
Speaker 1: Even if she tries, it's not going to be successful.
Speaker 3: People like that are so frustrating because it seems like Rachel is the type of person who will ask for things and not realize how awkward to put somebody in a position, you know, there is she like a little oblivious to that. I mean, that's what you're saying that she's got to know that there's some sort of connection there, but we don't know if she's seeing it the same way that we're seeing it from.
Speaker 4: You know, that perspective. So it is, yeah, she might be testing her that. I mean, it would seem obvious.
Speaker 1: And it leads to that scene in the supply room where Laurla comes in and actually does as asks, advocates for her a little bit. And you know, I think so far in this season, that's one of my that's my favorite Luke and Laurel I see because it was so filled with truth and it was so filled with masking real feelings on both of their parts. You know, he just continued to rip open boxes and stock the shelves right, and he was firm in his belief. And I thought, you know, there were two things that Luke was balancing. One was he has no faith or trust in Rachel's ability to stick it out. He's seen that movie too many times before, Laurel I relax. He also wanted to appear I think, kind of open and available to Laurel. I. I think it worked in his favor in both accounts right without really showing how he felt about her. He was showing how he felt about her with his attitude, which is what I love about the scene. I really love their dynamic and I think the writing. The writing is so good. The writing is so good. And you know, I've been in four series a series regular, and to go to work and to get to be in scenes like this is a just a very rare treat. Let me tell you.
Speaker 3: Going like yes, you know, like as you're reading the script, you're going, I know I'm gonna do these scenes later, but you're like, oh oh, and that.
Speaker 1: The way they write. You read it, you see it, you go, I know exactly what I'm going to do. I know exactly how to cover this, I know exactly how I'm going to interact with her, and they just and they don't put it in a scene description, and it's not in the dialogue, but it is. They write behavior. They write dialogue that elicits behavior. They draw out behavior in you, and I've never seen writing like it. It's wonderful to do and I miss it terribly.
Speaker 4: It's a lot of words too.
Speaker 1: But they're but they're perfectly placed words they're perfect words. There's a lot of them, but they're still in a sense economical in that every word is effective, every word has a purpose. It's not too much. It's like I'm going to take you over here, but we're going to come back here because you don't you're not going to see this comment. I don't know. I love that.
Speaker 3: I think of any examples of shows that I mean, because to me, it seems like Gilmore Girl stands out as a a very particular style, which is probably what made it so popular, because it was, you know, one of a kind in the way that the pacing was and the storytelling and all the connections and the characters. You know, are there anything that's kind of was it modeled after something or just sort of a.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's it's very sophisticated film writing from the thirties and forties. Yeah, those those fast paced comedies, and but it's just so smart. You don't find writing like this in television. You just don't find it. It's just I don't know that it's there's ever been writing like this on television.
Speaker 3: Well, maybe the reason for the pacing is because of how much they how much story they were telling. Is like, well, we only have forty minutes to do this, so that's why we've got to keep it based up to get this story in you know, all these good character points and everything like that.
Speaker 4: I also know that it's in a style.
Speaker 1: But you know you're you're a guitar player, right, So you go to a figure out Peter Frampton solo, or you go to a Clapton solo, you go to a Hendrick solo, and you just go, wow, how did they do this?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Right, I mean there are levels. So this is what we're dealing with here with Amy and Dan. It's just remarkable the writing. And it's no accident that you know this show is so popular and that you know ten year old girls are falling in love with it because Amy and Dan treat an audience like they're intelligent. They don't ever write down to them. They know that the audience will get it. And that's what drives me crazy about most television. They're always dumbing everything down. These two don't dumb anything now you know, they go the other way.
Speaker 4: Oh man, well it made it an evergreen, that's for sure. Yeah. That's hard to do.
Speaker 3: That's hard to do, especially so many years later and people still finding it and it comes up in conversation often.
Speaker 1: All right, now we're in Rory's room, h and Lane tells her that Henry guy hasn't called, and he actually did call, and fine, what was this transition? He did call eight and a half times.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, he left a message and she listened back to it eight times.
Speaker 1: Oh, eight and a half times. Okay, all right, so he finally called or she just didn't get the message.
Speaker 5: She just didn't pick up, and he left a message and she just kept listening to it.
Speaker 6: So he did call, he just didn't answer.
Speaker 1: So she's admitting this now to Rory. Yes, so why was she saying that he never called?
Speaker 6: No idea. I think it's just a teenager being a teenager.
Speaker 1: All right, we won't dwell, let's not do well, okay, I ain't now at the movie theater, this was great, This is so good, this is see this is something you just don't see. And I don't know where they came up with this line. But when she said you want to take that that particular medication to Kirk the cinement'out a found about of it? What did she say? Remember this scene Kirk sits behind him, and he's telling them to be quiet even though the lights.
Speaker 5: Are still on, right, yeah, he wanted quiet before the movie started.
Speaker 1: Then he said he was feeling a little under the weather or something like that, or he was sniffing or some sniffles, and Lorelai turns around said, you want to take that cine fin and minus obada, you don't want to be driving a fort left. You get a bet your drowsy, And they're just you know, it's like, where do they get this stuff? Where do they get this? I mean, that is just like.
Speaker 4: They're having fun with it, you know, in that.
Speaker 1: Way right right, It's like two people having a good time and enjoying their lives at the expense of poor Kirk, who has no idea what they're talking about. And it's not like it's hostile. It's just like a fun little thing they throw. And then they see Rachel and Luke come in, and.
Speaker 6: I was kind of surprised by that, were you.
Speaker 5: I was surprised that like his arm was around her and they were like suddenly dating. It seemed like after the conversation in the stock room, Oh that's to throw us off, No, I know, but like I don't know I've watched it so many times. I'm still watching it like it's the first I'm like, oh, it was shocked, like his arm was around her.
Speaker 1: You know, they made up.
Speaker 3: Every time I see the Luke outfits, it's so funny. I mean, I'm sure you had people dressing up as you for Halloween.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, like legions every Helloween.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it makes sense. Plus, it's an easy costume to pull off. You know, people can put it together with something to have in their house.
Speaker 1: Everybody's got a flannel, everybody's got a baseball, you know. Hard.
Speaker 5: We did an event at the Warner Brothers lot and it was a Gilmore Girl's event and Scott was there and every girl dressed their boyfriend as Luke. They were just like hundreds of Luke's walking around.
Speaker 3: I saw those posts. Was that at the ranch or was it at the lot? That wasn't at the ranch? You guys filmed the lot a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're at the back lot. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I need some of that coffee by the way.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, yeah. They The only way to get it is go to the Warner Brothers website.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say on the tour, right, you can get it right.
Speaker 1: The tour website. You can get the coffee, can get all fine. We have we keep increasing excuse so there's probably more there. Now you can get hot chocolate too. Oh yeah, more stuff coming. Very exciting, all right. So at the movies, uh, Laurelin and and Rory gossip about Emily's phone call that Emily wants to be Rory's pal. Now Kirk sits behind him, tells him be quiet. Luke upholding Rachel's hand. We've discussed this. Rory agrees with Laura I that she did the right thing by butting into the Luke and Rachel's relationship, trying to influence it. All right, So now we're back at Friday night dinner with one of the funniest entrances I think I've seen so far on a Friday night dinner. This might be the ultimate entrance where Laurel I opens up all chipper and happy and leans in and says, Rory, check the rubbing alcohol. And then she invites Rory and takes off with Laurel I's just and they're like, okay, I'm fine, yeah, okay, I would just commit right, just brilliant stuff. I mean, it's just brilliant stuff. You know what it is. This is like theater. It's what you This is theater. They're giving her performance like their own stage on Broadway, and we get to see it. And I thought Perry Lang did a fantastic job directing this episode, really beautifully directed episode. He just felt the impact of everything throughout the entire piece. And then we say that Emily has made Rory her own room so she has a place to go. And boy, I tell you it's it's a win win for Emily because she gets the benefit of pleasing her granddaughter, but she also gets to stick that dagger into Laurel li ion twist it at the same time. Right, what'd you guys feel about that? I thought it was a little bit cruel that she didn't prep Laurel I on this.
Speaker 6: Yeah, she can her heads up.
Speaker 4: That probably wouldn't fly in most situations. You know, I think everybody would be pretty ticked off about that. I mean, it is weird.
Speaker 3: I guess she just she does seem to like to go after her, you.
Speaker 4: Know, set her up.
Speaker 1: She set her up. And I thought Laura I handled it beautifully like she wasn't trying to start a fight. But mom, you know, hey, you know what's going on here? Okay, look, I'm sorry, No, I don't have a problem with it, but it's like, you know, you could have let me know and then Emily attacks her.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it definitely came up sudden. Like even Laura I was like, when do we start? When did we start fighting? She was waiting for that opportunity to bring it up.
Speaker 1: I mean, how horrible that she has to stand there and absorb that and again more trauma. I don't know how honestly, at this point, Laura I can take it. I don't know why she even goes back there on.
Speaker 6: Friday nights early on season one.
Speaker 1: Right, it's like, wow, you have to deal with that maniac every Friday night, and you know she's looking for an excuse to tear into her and yeah, at this point, I'm like, don't go back just there's no reason for it.
Speaker 4: How far away did they live, by the way, like twenty.
Speaker 1: Minutes, twenty minutes, twenty thirty minutes, yeah, twenty thirty minutes. All right, So now there's this long walk and talk night Time stars Hollow and mother and daughter are having their conversation about the evening's events. The bloodshed the humor. Laura I says she never opened up to Emily about what she has been through because of you know, pride, right, And then they show up to the diner for happy Pie and they see Rachel. She thanks LOURAI for speaking to the loop. Things are working out. She's got her own drawer now. Luke gave her a set of keys. It's a it's it's a big scene. And Rachel says she's gonna stay for a while. And then they bring the coffee and the coffee doesn't taste the same anymore. Isn't that a beautiful device? M hmm, isn't that? Isn't that just the great writing? And the coffee doesn't taste as good anymore. It tastes different.
Speaker 4: To find a new cafe, mmmm, diner.
Speaker 1: So there's trouble in Denmark. Let me tell you all right, Laurel I feel she can never fully open up to Emily. Obviously Rachel decided to stay complicates the whole thing. I see it, you know what, I see more from Laura I in this instead of thinking about herself and her own emotions getting scrambled because of the you know this this quote unquote rivalry, it's is this good for Luke. I think she's more concerned about him as a friend at this point. You know, I think, of course there's maybe some feelings there, but it's like this girl, right, this Rachel is Rachel the right for him. So I think maybe she's looking through a lens of friendship to see if this is the right situation for him because her friend keeps getting hurt by this woman and she doesn't like that, you know, So as a friend, I think she's she's something's off here. The coffee's wrong, she's wrong, that's wrong. That's my friend, and I may have feelings for him, but he's my friend first and foremost, and I don't want to see him get hurt. And that's how she played it, and I thought it was really quite touching. It was really quite.
Speaker 3: Touch aggressive balance too, you know, yeah, to be in that situation, I mean, I'm sure many of us have had situations like that where you like somebody but this is not going somewhere, But then you really and then they start dating someone and you're like, well, am I telling them?
Speaker 4: Am I feeling off because of that?
Speaker 3: Or my feeling off because I just don't think that you know that person is right for them.
Speaker 1: Right. Well, let's talk about what's really really important here. Okay, what's really important is that Kendall, you and Big Time Rush are heading back out on tour. That's right, Oh my god, tell us about that.
Speaker 4: I guess we're gonna watch so much Gilmore Girls.
Speaker 1: On the back. Well, I would hope.
Speaker 4: So I'm actually gonna see.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna see if I just start playing it like Logan and I are sharing a bus on this tour, so I'm going to see if he I'm just gonna start leaving it.
Speaker 4: On the TV and the phase attention on it, you.
Speaker 3: Know, if I catch him sitting down with a nice glass of wine watching and being like, do you see what's going on here? What? So?
Speaker 1: When's the tour began? Where are you guys going? How long is it going to go? For?
Speaker 4: Tell us about the tour starts July uh ninth, and then goes until.
Speaker 1: And where, where and where are you going to open the tour?
Speaker 3: We're going to open in, of all places, Birmingham, Alabama.
Speaker 4: Nice number one.
Speaker 1: I've been to Birmingham. I like Birmingham.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a great town.
Speaker 3: And then second in Nashville and then we cruise all the way through the country.
Speaker 4: We have thirty eight shows in the US. Oh my goodness, stick, we'll be all over the place.
Speaker 1: Well, we wish you a lot of luck on that. It was great talking to you, great catching up, and good luck with the tour and good luck with watching the next what six seasons of Gilmore girls with your with your sharpa yeah, your lovely wife. Much appreciate the time, Ken Kendall Schmidt, Big Time Rush coming to you on tour. Go check them out. You'll have a good time. Terrorist suit. Thanks so much. Great seeing you. It's been too long.
Speaker 6: I know I never jump on, well not I never do.
Speaker 5: We've all we all switched, but I was like, Kendall's coming on, so I have to jump on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you didn't come up for me, You came in for Candle. Let's fix all right, everybody, Thanks for downloading. Best fans on the planet Earth, and remember where you lead, we will follow. Stay safe everyone, Hey, everybody, and don't forget Follow us on Instagram at I Am all In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com.