Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Kristin Davis, and I want to know, are you a Charlotte? So let's talk about themes overall for a second, because when we first started talking about this podcast and you were like yes, thank god, so that empowered me to move forward. One of the things we talked about were the themes and the everlasting quality of the themes. And so this is our third or fourth whatever it is. And last week the pilot episode has ghosting and can women have sex like men? No one cares about what can women have sex like men? Which is super interesting, but I care about it.
Speaker 2: Right, it was unspoken totally.
Speaker 1: I thought it was a very big deal. I still think it's a big.
Speaker 2: It's still a big deal. I mean, it's still a big deal. I mean, and we went on to illustrate that great comic effect, but it is a very big deal can women have sex like men?
Speaker 1: But I do feel like society has progressed somewhat like the youngster.
Speaker 2: We talked about it. Oh, it's already off the table because we proved over many years that thesis. Oh so if it's not a shock.
Speaker 1: Got it?
Speaker 2: Got it? Got it? Like they feel, okay, if women have they do yes, they can because of sex and the city. They can sex.
Speaker 1: But then the ghosting thing, everybody was like ghosting, ghosting, So like the talk shows picked up that we talked about ghosting, that we didn't have the word ghosting, but like that Sarah Winter character, you know, they're also picking out China, buying apartments, whatever they're doing, and then he's just gone. They talked about that on the talk shows, and I was so fascinated by the fact that our pilot episode theme, one of them is now thirty years later being picked up again to be discussed on the talk shows in the morning. Yes, yeah, it's unbelievable. So to you if you think about because there's been obviously so many episodes in our films, and just like that, you know, what are the what are the biggest themes for you? What do you feel the strongest about? Are there any that you regret?
Speaker 2: I think the first thing that came into my mind that I think is evergreen is am I enough? Am I enough alone? Whatever that means? Whatever that means, am I enough? I think am I enough is something people are always asking because of the way we get sort of dragged up in society where we're not all completely perfect ever, Ye, So am I enough? Is really important? If you look at any episode, it's this very big struggle of people trying to be there for themselves. When they're strong, they're there for other people. When they're vulnerable, their friends are there for them. But it's constantly letting the anarchists, the anarchy of saying single people are enough, being single is enough, that is still not done. Society is still it's still it's still it's almost reversing now. But the idea that I might not be enough if I don't have someone in my life is the evergreen wound and gift of the series. And then also am I right.
Speaker 1: To be?
Speaker 2: To do things my way?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: I mean. Charlotte's great struggle through the whole series was she had to rebel against society's versions of her life. Started out, what she wanted was so different than what she finally accepted, right to the point of, you know, we put that whole it's almost all. I mean, we did that with all the character both with Charlotte, it was clear like, oh, be careful what you wish for, definitely, I mean, And the reason Charlotte got married and that was kind of shocking because it was supposed to be by then the show was the branded for single girls, right, And I was like, yeah, no, she'd get married, so we haven't.
Speaker 1: I mean, that was what she wanted.
Speaker 2: Well that's what a person would do, so let's do that. And then how do we torture her? And you did and we did. But the fact of the matter is we didn't pretend for seven episode seasons that she could never find anyone, because A, it was you, crazy, it was you who anybody would marry. And two it was a challenge to have one of the single people get married. Yeah, and then what does that mean and how does it affect the relationships? So I guess the idea is, you know, is it okay to be just you?
Speaker 1: Right? And what about like chosen family?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I mean well, I mean I wrote it. It's this thing that I see people clipping a lot of maybe we could be each other's soulmates and just let the guys be these cute, fun guys to have fun with. I mean that the importance of that is that lets all the guys off the hook. You know, the guys are off the hook, and you know that whole idea that you don't necessarily get everything you need from a partner.
Speaker 1: Which is so important to say, because it's not how we're socialized.
Speaker 2: No we're not. We're socialized that you're like you know, I mean.
Speaker 1: Like the person, the person.
Speaker 2: Who wants to be on the I mean, and as you grow, you go like, oh, I get laughs from that person, I get sex from that person. I get sometimes laughs and sex, but I get my friends give me my friends give me things that my partner can't. But yeah, I mean, it's just that's that soulmate thing is really not that we could be each other's soulmates. That's thrilling because you've got it covered because you're only supposed to get That episode is special because it's all about rejecting the idea of one person right for each person right.
Speaker 1: And it's funny that I say the line, sure, of.
Speaker 2: Course it's great, and then of course you're the one who gets not.
Speaker 1: That right, which had to be the way.
Speaker 2: But I love in that episode how she sort of bends her own rules when she's talking about Carrie, like, well, you kind of this and then had things.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's a lot of bending of the rules over time too. For a life right, absolutely, And I want to talk to you about Carrie a little bit because I'm going to have Sarah on Zoon and I'm so scared because you know, there's this like thing about Carrie now many years later, thirty whatever, twenty seven years later, where they're like, oh, Carrie's this carry is that I don't like Carrie. Carrie. No, No, you know there's things out there. Michael's not on social media, you guys. So yeah, we love that about it.
Speaker 2: But last time, my head still attached because it had n't blown. You're protecting here. The first season of n just like that. I'm like, really, okay.
Speaker 1: A great attitude, a great attitude. And for me, I look at it like in a vague way, by.
Speaker 2: The way, wrong, what the first reaction to the first season of EN just like that, by the way wrong, right, their reaction, the craziness of it. But I think that's also expectations of how these people grew and didn't grow anyway, go ahead, So.
Speaker 1: Sarah, of course, none of us can be objective about our characters at this point.
Speaker 2: I mean, were we ever?
Speaker 1: I have no idea, right, but there used to be a little bit and now there's none like You've been around on the set where someone you says, I don't even know, I'm gonna have CYNTHI onsen too, But you remember that time you were like, so, I don't.
Speaker 2: Know, but I've rarely seen you have your breath taken away by what you're going to or not going to say. As your editor shows.
Speaker 3: Up, I know, right, what are you going to say? So this isn't going to go well for me? No, it's totally that this is going to be charming for somebody, but me go.
Speaker 1: Ahead, No, it's going to be great. It's gonna be hard for them because I've got to figure out what I'm going to say to them, because no one's objective is my main point, right, Like I'm not. People in the beginning would say like, how are you like Charlotte? How are you not?
Speaker 2: And I could be like.
Speaker 1: Blah blah blah bah boah like Charlotte blah blah blah ba, but not, you know, twenty seven years later, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean it's you know what people say about you twenty seven years later, what, oh my god, Charlotte's so amazing nah. And it's because I think the kids and the strength of it and the sort of what kids do to your character. And I think that we were able to really have Charlotte in just like that be the one who is the mother of everybody. And that's why people are feeling that about Charlotte is because she is the mother to her own children, but also sometimes the mother to her friend group another I mean tough love sometimes and most times listening and supportive.
Speaker 1: Which is amazing. But I also feel the part of what they're responding to is the fact if you followed us the whole time, which so many people have, which.
Speaker 2: Is so now again because of Netflix.
Speaker 1: Yeh, yes, it's the whole new group. Like the growth is a very I can't think off the top of my head of any other person actor who has gotten to have this. I mean, obviously the four of us and or three of us have you know, a very very long I know it's time, which is insane and such a gift, But if you just think about Charlotte's beginning and where we're.
Speaker 2: At now, yeah, it's amazing.
Speaker 1: It's just not happening out there in the world for anybody else. So I am the luckiest person and that's because of you. And that's what people respond to okay.
Speaker 2: So tell me about the Cynthia thing.
Speaker 1: Got it?
Speaker 2: So where I'm no, no, you're not okay, then then do tell me definitely no, you're.
Speaker 1: You're not on the hook for any of this.
Speaker 2: Oh really, no, that's what you think. Watch what I can do with it.
Speaker 1: You're definitely not. No, this is about people. So this is my perspective on it, and I want yours. So I think people way back in the beginning, they'd be like, am I a Carrie? Am I Charlotte? Am I?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yes?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: And they'd have their own idea of themselves within what we were showing, and they would then own that, oh I'm a Carrie. Right. Then Carrie might do something that maybe.
Speaker 2: They well, the hero has the affair.
Speaker 1: Exactly and this but this had to happen, right, because why would you keep watching if the hero was perfect? You would not You would not still be exactly, it wouldn't be compelling, it wouldn't be interesting. Absolutely, I agree with one.
Speaker 2: But the trick is they would hate what she did but still love her because of Sarah Jessica's amazing essence and quality as an actor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, totally totally.
Speaker 2: I mean I was tricky. We got them hooked because they were furious, yes, when she would do things, but still they felt betrayed because they love her so much. Yes, of what Sarah Jessica does with that character.
Speaker 1: Well, I think that's still happening. So there's still people who are like Carrie. You know, Carrie's the worst.
Speaker 2: Because of what she did to Aid or whatever.
Speaker 1: Different thing it is that week, right, I mean, I mean different things.
Speaker 2: Don't dare her wear a slip to get coffee?
Speaker 1: Totally stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Nobody would ever wear a crinoline slip. That's right, they wouldn't. That's why we did totally.
Speaker 1: So it's just different. They'll hook on different things. But there's like a sentiment that happened. I think it started I don't really know, but I think it started when we weren't working right, like in between the movies and just like that where people would rewatch or whatever and they'd be like, well, I'm looking at carry differently now, Which is the joy also of the characters, and that like you look at them at different times in your life and you think different things are feeling on who you are.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, Carrie, now are you a Charlotte? Are you now are you Samantha exactly?
Speaker 1: And you can be any at any given.
Speaker 2: Time, and Samantha, Yes, in your fifties you could be. That was good. That was so good.
Speaker 1: I sometimes I'm like, I should try to see Samantha.
Speaker 2: So anyway, Samantha, you have Samantha and you a little.
Speaker 1: Bit sure anyway, both so and then okay, So for Carrie, this kind of sentiment started Sarah Jessica was like when we went back for I'm not supposed to say, like, my fans don't like it, good luck.
Speaker 2: I've only heard about five likes. Oh thank god, you've yourself. That's because you're talking to somebody's so right.
Speaker 1: When I'm by myself, it's very hard.
Speaker 2: Like is a landing pad, he's the writer.
Speaker 1: Listen to him, you guys, it's a landing pad.
Speaker 2: Thank you, so that she can get her next thought. It's really hard to talk to yourself. It's very hard to psychotic. Thank you, but you're not thank you.
Speaker 1: He needs to hear every every episode go ahead, so okay, so in the interim before that's why I need.
Speaker 2: To be here to say okay, go ahead, go go.
Speaker 1: Of not working right before we did, and just like that Sir, Jessica was saying to me, you know, what is this thing where people don't like Carry? And I was like, oh, don't worry about that. She's like, I mean, how could they not like Carrie? And I'm like, I mean, I just think it's over time and people, you know, get attached things.
Speaker 2: Again, another reason to not be on social media. Go ahead, it's true.
Speaker 1: And I mean I don't think she was looking. It's just kind of grew and she saw it, you know. And then of course she takes it personally, because how can you not sure you play carry?
Speaker 2: You know, I take it personally. You're right in terms of Carrie. Of course, are you crazy?
Speaker 1: You were carry totally in a lot of ways. He is. You guys, I mean, you're all of us really, but but I think you're really carried. But she, you know, I had to kind of like, you know, don't worry, you know, don't worry. So then Meghan.
Speaker 2: Stallion, Oh yeah, the great Meghan the Stallion exactly exactly.
Speaker 1: I know we're going to have her on the epide.
Speaker 2: How fantastic the idea that that happened, Like she just discovered it for the first time, which made it and all I kept thinking, was now everybody's going to discover it.
Speaker 1: I know it's the joy.
Speaker 2: So she had a problem.
Speaker 1: Yes, she had a lot to say about Carrie. She was like, she wakes up every morning and thinks, how can I ruin everyone's day?
Speaker 2: So I'm going to prepare myself. Oh god, I hope her very very very strong point of view. It is almost unfounded in any reality.
Speaker 1: But Megan, Okay, don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean I love that it's a strong take.
Speaker 1: Strong says that she's Carrie. Oh really, yes, it's interesting, and it's like, I don't know if it's also like she's very funny, Meggot, like.
Speaker 2: Who knows she's funny?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I don't know she's being funny. We'll find out when she's on because I'm going.
Speaker 2: To drill down the reality is the great thing about a series if it's working, is that you love and hate decisions people make every episode, which is why you keep watching.
Speaker 4: Oh, the.
Speaker 2: Second year of and just like that, the Miranda to get back to Cynthia, the Miranda fallout about choices is really what that was about. Choices. Choices people love to discuss when they're on when they're off. Why why are they behaving like that? Like your friends, like anyone?
Speaker 1: Definitely so Cynthia, you know, obviously very very connected to Miranda, though you know she also you know, she's very like, oh, I don't care, I don't care. But then if anyone says anything negative, she's like, why are they still hung up on that?
Speaker 2: Do you remember this? When we were on set.
Speaker 1: The other day, it was not that long ago, and we were like, oh, and she was like, no, I don't, I don't understand. How do they not understand? And we're like, it's okay, it's okay. Let them have their their thoughts and feelings.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they'll be thrilled. It's all about this giant evolution that these four characters are taking. And I think what's so positive for people about Charlotte is they feel she's aligned. She's kind of like true, She's kind of in a place of alignment with who they hoped and wished she would be. So true and so important.
Speaker 1: I'm happy that I can be that for.
Speaker 2: That so important, especially if you're killing somebody's love, yes, and destroying a marriage, that someone is aligned. It keeps it grounded. Thank The interesting thing about are you a Charlotte, are you a Miranda? Are you carry? There was when we were in the height the madness of the success of the pop cultureness of the series, there was a British psychologist who taught a class I think at Oxford I might be highfaluting it, but definitely a university in England, And in order to get into her psychology class you had to say which of the four Sex and the City ladies you were?
Speaker 1: I love it and.
Speaker 2: That somehow defined her understanding of your, understanding of your personality so that she could go deeper. Also, they used to do those giant polls which one of you It would be like Miranda nine percent, and I would be like total. Every smart, funny woman I know has a Miranda and they just don't want to own it. Definitely, And then years later that uh, you know, every ouphant on Sex in the City became the champion of Miranda, right, yeah, only for us to destroy it and just like that the very But the reality is I think that there's aspects to all these characters that people find more compelling than less. But still you can't have the compelling without the opposite.
Speaker 1: Absolutely choice, absolutely.
Speaker 2: Don't marry that man. But he can't get hard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was a really bad thing, where like what I mean that just goes to show how you know, she had that eye on the prize that we talked about for three years before we got there, right, she was going to get it, which I do think people do.
Speaker 2: I think that the genesis of that wanting something is in Bay of married pegs hard, Like she's even going to date this guy, not her typical type, I.
Speaker 1: Know, and she doesn't even say she likes him. No, she's really It's.
Speaker 2: So great and so flawed. And then you have the other great things in that episode is Samantha literally being laughing about the fact that they think we're whores, I know, Miranda being furious that she's being type cast as a loser by married people, Charlotte defending married people, and Carrie of course watching it all. But what's interesting is the married people are not nice. No, they're not. They're not there their self protective, yes, entitled, yes, monstrous. When that woman comes into the kitchen when Samantha is just having a business.
Speaker 1: Conversation, there's so many times have you yes, are you surprised?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Somebody like why are you talking to I know.
Speaker 1: Like back off, lady, and you're like, I'm just standing here, which I'm literally just standing here.
Speaker 2: And then Samantha, for the one of the few times ever, is talking about finances. She's a business woman talking about about money, about money, and the guy and he's having it perfectly. Who knows what his He definitely has an agenda. She's just talking about money in a low cut dress, and the wife has had it.
Speaker 1: I know, Oh my god. I really felt that he's.
Speaker 2: Kind of he's kind of daring to cast married people as cartoon villains.
Speaker 1: I agree.
Speaker 2: I agree, that's compared to the lecherous single ladies as the cartoon villain. You know what I mean.
Speaker 1: This is still really very happening in our society. You know.
Speaker 2: Well, the great thing about it is we got to show the pain caused. Yeah, the pain causes, which no one was showing the pain caused if you were not married, you were a loser or a whore. And this is like real people. And what's so great about Charlotte is as though people think of Charlotte as naive, right, where you are very similar to Charlotte is you walked into Charlotte, walked into that room and clocked it one hundred percent accurately. She looked around, she saw the people. Oh my god, this is a thing. He wants to marry you. They're not going to be nice to us. She knew exactly what the social vibe in that room was from her own feelings.
Speaker 1: That's so true. That's so true. And I never I do have that. I definitely have that, and I never think about that with her, and I think that's totally true.
Speaker 2: And early, especially early, she was like she was kind of definitively clear, so true about who people are in relation to being married or not because she's.
Speaker 1: Like finally tuned to it because it's clearly been put in her as this goal and that's her journey, right, is to go go on this journey of that's my goal. I'm going to give these three best friends who really don't share this goal. I'm going to speak at them like you're at this.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, I mean all the all the all the conflict between whenever we did an episode between Charlotte and Samantha was about Samantha pissing on her.
Speaker 1: Dream, which I fully understand.
Speaker 2: You know, it was like, don't make fun of this, don't sleep with my doorman, that's not or my brother or whoever else. I know.
Speaker 1: It's so interesting to think about the juxtaposition of those Samantha.
Speaker 2: And Charlotte opposite.
Speaker 1: They are fully opposites, but yet friends. Like like, that's what I do like about this episode. Like she's drunk and I'm taking her home, taking.
Speaker 2: Mother, I know, best friends, great girlfriend, Like they have like so little in common at this point, I know, but the other two are gone home. I'm Charlotte's like, I'll let her sleep at my house.
Speaker 1: I'm like, come on, it's nice, I'll.
Speaker 2: Let her sleep in my two walled house exactly. She's on the couch somewhere that we don't see. Yeah, I know, it's like, you know, just and actually, when I said that the pilot the trailer was funny. One of the images I remember was Samantha going mink coat opening, which would never be allowed now total which she didn't have going on in. She had no coat on going in no way, So I don't know whose fur coat that was. Pat Fields, I guess put a fur on with the bra and panties like where it came from. And we are so now we were we are so focused on like how would this really happen. Pat, we like, shut up, just wear it.
Speaker 1: And that was the joy of Pat. She was not literal in any way.
Speaker 2: No, when we when we were doing the Paris episodes, I was in the office and I got a call come down here. So I went down to the make the hair trailer, I mean, not to make up an hair trailer. I went down to the cost anyway, I got a call from Pat get down here, and I went down to the wardrobe room. And on the middle of remember you used to have that like round circular couch thing where like people would sit on department stores and put on shoes, there was this conical round thing and on it was the meil Foyd dress Carrie wears in Paris, that thousand layers of dress. She goes, this just came from Paris. It wants to be in the show. You have to write it. No, I said to her, No, how would that would get that right? Would be like how it would be like a whole like three trunks just to get that there. And I gave her all the logical reasons why it wouldn't be in this. I'm just saying it wants to be in the show. And I turned and as I walked across the threshold, I just got hit with reality and I thought, yeah, it wants to be in the show. And I came back and I said okay. And that was a lesson I learned, is like, sometimes wardrobe is better than logic. And so you know, they're still talking about milfoy. It was one hundred, but reality would have pushed that right out of the window. I was like, maybe it's followed up another thing.
Speaker 1: I know, I went through my own Maybe that fur.
Speaker 2: Code came from Charlotte. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, who knows, absolutely, who knows. And I went through my own, you know, journey with Pat about this, you know what I'm saying where I you know, in the beginning, I was like, I don't know what on earth you're trying to put me in woman, And she was like, ah, let me. I was like no, no, no, you.
Speaker 2: Don't even need to finish that sentence.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it's such a journey but also just such a you know, she's an artist, and I think sometimes you have to just give over. Do you have a favorite a favorite outfit? The first thing that comes in my mind is the black Swan that I wore to Carrie's wedding, right, Zach.
Speaker 2: That was good and then your little feet and I couldn't.
Speaker 1: Run in that thing.
Speaker 2: That was the best because it was but I mean that's magic.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's magic because like that was not like my thing was. Like Jesus God, this thing is so much work, because you do you remember how long Pat obsessed over what we were going to wear. Yeah, I mean it was a big deal because I don't know if you remember that Sarah did not want to wear beige at Charlotte's wedding.
Speaker 2: Oh the Charlotte's wedding scene when you're all in, when you're all in Vera Wang and you're wearing those beige bridesmaid.
Speaker 1: Stresses, there's like still mad about it.
Speaker 2: One of the longest days of my life.
Speaker 1: I have pictures sleeping on the bile a thousand degrees because it was all windows and were.
Speaker 2: I was levitating.
Speaker 1: Okay, I was levitating the entire time, as though I was a person who wanted to get married and was actually getting married. I mean nothing negative. It was a dream.
Speaker 2: And then sj goes and cut up the Vera weing dress.
Speaker 1: She literally shed.
Speaker 2: It up and started putting tart and pieces on it because no, she was out of her because Trey was wearing a kilt. I know. Way she came to.
Speaker 1: Me and she was like, I don't understand, and I'm like, but it's Charlotte's wedding. Of course you'd be wearing beige matching. I mean, I don't understand what you don't understand? She's anyway, cut to her wedding many years later, Carrie's wedding. You know, we were obviously not going to be wearing matching bridesmaid's dresses. But then Pat had like so many ideas and so many I mean, I can't even remember all the designers we went through. And I remember one night I was sitting on my couch, you know, exhausted at home. The phone rings, it might have been midnight, and She's like black and I'm like, huh, she's going to wear black? Are you okay with that? I'm like, yeah, Pad, you know, if everyone else is okay, I'm okay. And little did I know it was this like, you know, incredible sure creation.
Speaker 2: It would put Charlotte in black.
Speaker 1: For the wedding. I mean, Carrien was fantastic, That's who would It was fantastic it was fantastic. But do you remember those stairs? I mean, we're off on the movie now, but like those stairs. I did literally think we might die on those stairs. Sure, but then do you remember how the crew guys laid on them in case we fell? Do you remember that? I don't remember our grips? Okay, So we had to run up and down those marble stairs at the public library in the dresses, in the shoes so many times, Michael Patrick King because he was directing. Okay, it's beautiful, Yes, there is no limit.
Speaker 2: Next time you see the movie, you just enjoy all the different shots. Exactly. There's many's, there's clothes from all over there and everywhere, and everyone got in the movie.
Speaker 1: I have to say, you're right, it's not It was beautiful, but it was very, very hard. So I can't I remember if it was running. No, we don't run up, we run down.
Speaker 2: You could walk up and run down.
Speaker 1: Yes, we walk up, which was doable, not easy, but doable.
Speaker 2: Going down.
Speaker 1: We were scared, Okay, we were scared and we had to do it in sections right, So like whatever the camera shot was, and we were you know, like quaking a bit, you know, in our heels like, who's going to fall? Who's going to catch the person who falls? Because we're all in the shoes and the tight dresses, so our grips laid down on the marble stairs so that if one of us fell, they could break our fall, which I mean literally, when you think about what the crew has gone through for us over the years, I mean, it's incredible.
Speaker 2: That's why when anyone shows up on our show or movies and says these shoes are hard to walk, I'm sorry what I'm sorry?
Speaker 1: You will not be getting sympathy from Michael Patrick.
Speaker 2: They wear heels when it's ten degrees out and we're pretending it's spring. So one line, I will say one other thing about the movie because I don't know if I'll ever be here again. You will be no anyway the movie. This is totally for the fans the movie. When Charlotte Poughkeepsie's in her pants.
Speaker 1: From all the Lord, do you have to bring it up?
Speaker 2: Kristen was like, uh, I said, Kristin, You've got to do this. It's hilarious and I'm dying. We were just dying, and the reality was in order to get Sarah, Jessica, Cynthia and Kim laughing and Kristin to really understand the depth of what I wanted. I stood behind the camera. This is going to be tough for sound, and when it was happening, all I did was this, poo poo poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, poo, poo po po po poo poo, poo, poo poo, poo, poo, poo poo poo. So when you see Kristin when I pushed the camera in and she goes like this, she rolls her eyes and it's like she's rolling her eyes that I'm still doing it. Poo poo, poo, poo, poo, poo poop.
Speaker 1: I'm thinking about how I'm going to kill him when we do.
Speaker 2: Not break until we're done. And then when we were in post, the sound guy was saying to me, you almost ruined that take, I said, or did I make that exactly?
Speaker 1: I don't think you would have gotten it if you hadn't done what you've done is true. One time later, I don't know where we were. We were somewhere doing press and I was irritated, and you were like, what's wrong, And I was like, oh, yeah, I'm still having to talk about that, you know, Mexico, and you're like, what do you mean. I'm like, you know the thing made me do and you were like these years, all these years later. I'm like, yes, Michael, this is our lives. Now you have to discuss. Like I'll be on vacation somewhere, some.
Speaker 2: Woman at the pool will be like, did you drink the water? Like, uh, well, right before we film that, I'll give you another Christen. Here's a here's a very good Christen in me men actor director Dynamic. We were about to do the naked shower scene, Oh Jesus, and we had put decals. We measured your height, We put decals across the logo of the hotel so that they would block your nipple. And everything else was great because everybody was ready to do that movie. Everybody looked great. And we're doing it and we're getting ready to do it and you come up to me and you and I said, so you're ready. It's just you keep coming at me with those big eyes. And I was like, guilty, guilty, guilty, my big eyes. I wanted something I didn't you. It was your internal.
Speaker 1: You that you were like, it would be great if we could see your butt.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, I had it about that part, but you did say I did something. I did see. You're lovely, right, But you want you wanted more. I don't think why.
Speaker 1: Would I, because you're you. You always want more.
Speaker 2: You keep coming at me with those big eyes. I think about that all the time. It's so funny. Yeah, because sometimes you know, you're like, let's go again. I thought I'm probably doing the big eyes right now, the Charlotte big eyes.
Speaker 1: That's adorable.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: I wanted to say my very first, very clear memory of you. It's not that different than that. Okay, we're at the rifle. We're at the reservoir in Central Park. It's since Sarah and I and we're we're going to gossip to get our heart rates up, which the du Moir still uses the gossip people. Lady, she's very nice. Sorry, I don't know if she calls herself gossip or not. I don't know. Anyway, you remember that it's.
Speaker 2: So totad, is it? I remember this same social Media'm talking about social media.
Speaker 1: Okay, sorry, there's a very popular.
Speaker 2: I like to go on the record that not being on social media is fresh. That's what I'm I'm everybody listening on social media, so fresh for me. I'm glad you're there.
Speaker 1: Luckily podcasts are on a different thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they are because they're intellectual.
Speaker 1: That Michael. So we're there, and I'm sure that you had been very much involved before. But I was in my weird days at the beginning of being overwhelmed pretty much at all times, right, I mean that's how I felt.
Speaker 2: I don't know, I understand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was a lot, you know, in the beginning, we're gonna, we're gonna, we're doing our thing, right and mark for for your steam, for your steam.
Speaker 2: Remember him, Yes, loved him? Yes, me too. I love him too.
Speaker 1: And we were a little bit mean to him that day and we were mean to him. Backstory, we probably should have him on in the future, but we were in the trailer. We were running our lines like we do so that we could be on it when we got out there for you, right, yeah, And he comes in and we were like, hey, do you want to run lines with us? And the guys never knew how to be right. They were like, the guests are girls, you know what I'm saying, Like the date, right, So he comes in and we say like hey, you want we're on lines with us, and he's like, oh, oh, I don't really know him, and we're like, oh you better, you better, you better get on that because we're going to go out there and they're going to really expect us like snappy snappy. And he's like, oh really, uh you know, like you mean like learn the literal lines and we're like yes, and then we kind of look at each other like, oh no, you know, because you know there's people in TV.
Speaker 2: Sure they think it's a suggestion.
Speaker 1: Exactly, exactly fine in drama, exactly, it's not where we live, you know, at all. And that became very true when you when you came, because you know, in the in the pilot there was the one ad lib scene that ever took place where they told us to fill in our things we felt most insecure about when we're talking about the models. Sorry, that's the second episode, not the pilot. They so like, I talk about my thighs, Sarah touches her nose. Wow, yeah, because Darren didn't want to write yeah, sure, yes, which was very kind, but then things went sideways. You know, you can't ask us to add live you don't want to do it.
Speaker 2: I don't know about that, but go ahead.
Speaker 1: Well, we just go anyway.
Speaker 2: So we're there, Mark's there, He's like.
Speaker 1: Oh, okay, I'll try to learn my line, and we're like we look at each other like, oh god.
Speaker 2: You know. So then we were a little bit a little bit mean.
Speaker 1: Apparently like the vibe, and then he seemed very shut down three of us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure, on this show that no one even knows about attitude. This isn't exactly this is on the Wrestling channel exactly right. I tried to explain that to that, like the noting the boxing. Right.
Speaker 1: So then we go out there and we're doing our thing, you know, and we're stretching, we're trying to whatever, and I had a line and I can't remember the line exactly. I haven't rewatched this one yet, but it's like a line with the common and then a second, you know, one section the comment second and there was an if and there was a butt and I flipped them. You know. I do this sometimes with Charlotte syntax. It's still happens, right, It's sometimes a struggle and you come up to me and you're very it with my big eyes and your big eyes, and you're like, no, and I'm like no, and you're like, do not look those words. It's not funny that way. And I was like, okay, okay, okay, what my god. No, I was like, oh my god, this one's scary. This one's so scary. He's very precise. So I look at the girls and they're like, yeah, you know, do it, do it? So I'm like okay. Then of course now that I'm like, you know, just like once they points on the out, then you can't do it, do you know what I mean, I'm like, oh god, I've got to please this new guy.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately in this scenario, I'm vague, but go ahead, go back to how this isn't going to be bad for me.
Speaker 1: No, it's not bad for you at all, because that was just the first memory and now here we are twenty million, hundred years later.
Speaker 2: And you were right. I was right. But I also want to put into the world that maybe your performance of me through your magnified shame spiral of the season one, and maybe I was direct.
Speaker 1: You were very direct into I think I screamed, no, no, you're just intense, intense. You're just intense when you care about intense, and listen, if you didn't care, we wouldn't be here.
Speaker 2: You know, here's my growth. Tell me I go on it just like that. When there's a guest director, they're like, she didn't say it right. I'm like, but it's not exactly. But it's not exactly a big joke, right, it's like a sentence, right, and look at what they're doing and feel what they're feeling, and then don't maybe go in again and ask them to do it different. I want, oh, yeah, because at this point, who is who's the horse and who's the cart? At this point, it's like you guys are leading. I'm leading with the riding. You're following, and I'm following you. I think we're one.
Speaker 1: I think we're really what we're saying, think we're one.
Speaker 2: I mean yeah, the first episode I directed, I gave the that that whole horse storyline to you because I knew you loved animals so much, which I thought, this will be really wonderful storyline. Yeah.
Speaker 1: It was magical to think about, magical to think about.
Speaker 2: I think that people are going to be you know, we talked about like all the decisions that they we made on in just like that. For Miranda to be like so outside what they want. Yes, I think they'll be very pleased with Miranda the third season of injest like that.
Speaker 1: I love Miranda.
Speaker 2: That there's the first everything gets broken and gets put back together.
Speaker 1: I mean, I thought it was very brave, and.
Speaker 2: I think you're fantastic this season as well.
Speaker 1: I'm so scared to watch.
Speaker 2: Oh you shouldn't. I've seen them all always so scared. Oh it's so nice. You're so lovely as an actor and so adorable. And I will tell you every I've told other people this, but I've never told you this, m oh in. And just like that, every day when you show up, you look at me and say how are you? Very few people do that, how are you? And I think that says a lot about who you are. How are you? And then I say, I'm great? Now hold the fake penis? No, I mean it means a lot because down I think that fall down? Oh yeah, fall down. Kristen does a lot of her own stunts this year. I do really good.
Speaker 1: I have a hat now I'm an official Jen.
Speaker 2: The stunt lad. Yeah. Kristin did a lot of physical stuff this year that was complicated and she had to discover how to do it. It could go too big or too little, and you hit it just right, especially with the you know yeah yeah episode. Yeah, I think, and just like that is this season is going to be a kind of it's a summer show. Yeah, it's coming out in the summer. It feels like the summer. It feels like the darkness that we had deliberately by design put in season one event just like that has given way to the light and the emotions that people are sort of needing or looking to right now. Yeah. And it's the most beautiful season. How exciting. It's the most beautiful we've never I think there's more New York in it, just like that season three than there's been in maybe the entire.
Speaker 1: I felt that way. I felt like we were out and it was glorious. It was so glorious.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's everywhere. We were everywhere, from the met to every garden, botanical gardens. Oh my god. Yeah, so speaking of the botanic garden, you're really special in this season. Yeah. I can't wait to see it.
Speaker 1: I can't wait see it. I'm always scared and excited to watch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well you're thrilling, thank.
Speaker 4: You, baby.
Speaker 1: You know what I do think I want to have Sita and Nicolon. Yeah, I want to hear about their perspective of like the show that used to be and being watching I mean coming.
Speaker 2: Remember Serena who plays Semoa and just like that, had that first scene where she was at the bar with you and Cynthia and Esjay and they went up to her after the first take and she said, I'm not even here. She said, I'm in Sex in the City. I don't know how to be here. I don't know what is happening right now.
Speaker 1: But she covers so beautifully you would never never know.
Speaker 2: But she's like, you know, I think that's one of the things we always have to factor in from the time we did Sex and the City when it started to become kind of a thing, a big thing around the world. When people join, you have to let them have a moment their altitude is they have like altitude sickness. They can't believe they're in the thing that they watched.
Speaker 1: Also, I think it's the thing that they watch, but I also feel and this is just from being on other sets in the world. You know, we have a vibe, we have like a an energy, like a thing, and I think some of it is because of what you kind of facilitated and mentored. As for the writers, you know, because our writers became you know, so.
Speaker 2: Included all of these their stories.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's their stories, absolutely.
Speaker 2: We just sex in the city. All sex of us were single, and all sex of us were lepers, and.
Speaker 1: All of you brought stories that they all thought were our stories, but luckily they were not. They were the writers' stories, thank god. But you were with us every day, like it was such a group, you know, a powerful, powerful group, feeling like we were in it together. And yes, we were on camera, but you guys were holding us up off camera. You know, you were writing beautifully for us, you were directing us. You were always there for us if we needed you. You know, like if I had a director, like that time that one director thought that I would think it was sexy that the sweat fell on the on the divorce papers, and I was like, no, she does not think that sexy. She somehow likes him for like besides that, you know what I mean. And he's like, no, that turns you on. I'm like, no, do's no turn me on. I was like, where's Michael Patrick King? And they were like, he's upstairs. I was like, Michael Patrick King, I need some help down.
Speaker 2: Here, and there you are, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Like we you know, you need backup in what we do. It's ours, yeah, and it's ours.
Speaker 2: People are visiting and it's our house, right.
Speaker 1: And but you created that for us, you know, you empowered us to take that ownership and to invest ourselves fully, you know fully, Like not only did you create it, I think you expected it, but you also led by doing that yourself. Yeah, like like there was never there's not a detail that you are not fully invested in, right and and involved in, you know. And sometimes yes, costume can be like Michael Patrick doesn't like it.
Speaker 2: You know, but this is this is how we create.
Speaker 1: What we create, everyone's invested and that was you leading and sir Jessica, you know, being so invested in everything as well, right, Like no banana clips, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: I can't see a banana clip without thinking of it, even it's scrunchy, because it was like we wrote the episode where she's like they break up of her scrunchy. I know it's hysterical, but this was true. Everything is everybody that worked on it. And then it's kind of curated to be something that hopefully people at home can be on the journey with, or be delighted by, or be heartbroken by, or be furious at. For a week, we know what we're doing. If you're mad at it, that's on purpose, that's by design, wait and see what happens the next week. And what I love about the Sex and the City start was it was week to week to week to week to week, and we even actually started that within just like that again, it was week to week, two week to week, and it builds. And now on Netflix you have people somebody just told me that their twenty year old daughter is Somebody came over and said, what are we doing tonight and she said, no, we're watching the season two Finelle. Again she's twenty a door.
Speaker 1: Well, my friend's kids are watching it. It's very bizarre.
Speaker 2: I would say that it doesn't feel.
Speaker 1: Stale, which is amazing.
Speaker 2: It's well made and it's unfortunately for us, no fortunately for us, unfortunately for civilization. It's they're still in need for women to be held up as individuals in society. At whatever age, they still have to fight for the individual sense of who they are because society wants them to be other things still, from the current politics to the emotional vibes still in the world. So it's really thrilling that we got to participate in this map. Yeah, this emotional map. Yeah. And still for people who watch the show, absolutely this is a map that these four went down, or these five now or these seven last year. Where are you on your map?
Speaker 1: Absolutely? And it's such a joy.
Speaker 2: And it's a joy to have been in your personal life for so many years.
Speaker 1: I know we have lived a life, haven't we.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we have, we have to.
Speaker 1: You remember when we went horseback riding at Nevis in the water, Yeah, like we could go on. I mean we remember, I mean Morocco.
Speaker 2: Like I remember when we were filming in the Sahara Desert and we were in a hotel in quotes that was in the middle of the desert. To drive in you had to go through under two paper machet camels. It's so true.
Speaker 1: And it was like over.
Speaker 2: Then one night and somebody had said to us, this is a vortex of energy and the desert. And I said to Kristin, how how how did you sleep us? And I she said, I didn't. I don't know what's happening I was on the roof. I was just walking in circles under the stars and the Sahara sensitive she was, she was totally He's been walking all night long on the roof, the canopy of stars in the middle of the Saharadas, the.
Speaker 1: Milky Way, literally the entire Milky Way. But we had a very big day of work the next day, so maybe not the best. But I couldn't sleep, you know, I can never sleep right. It's like my situation. But I mean, everything turned out fine, but for Michael had to be tortured by me the next day by torrential tears, and I'm very I love that story.
Speaker 2: I love that story. We had we had dunes that couldn't be walked on because they would.
Speaker 1: Look walked on ruined by the crew, so.
Speaker 2: We had to we we scoured the dunes with this giant chain all these New Zealand crew members so that it would look Christine and Kristin was at the top of the dune on a camel and I'm at the way down at the bottom of the dune watching her fall off a camel.
Speaker 1: With a walking right.
Speaker 2: Saharah does he yeah, a thousand degrees, She's falling off the camel into stunt guy's arms.
Speaker 1: There yet, and the stunt guys don't speak English.
Speaker 2: No, putting her back on the camel, falling off the camel, back on the camel, falling off the camel, back on the thing, turn the camera around, fall on the blanket, fall on the ground.
Speaker 1: Fall on the mattros.
Speaker 2: Okay, so she finally accomplishes the impossible, and I now know the scene's done. So I start up, I leave broom, I leave my headphones. I'm surprised you remember this. It's significant to me. I start up the dune towards you, and you're coming down the dune, big puffs of sand on your feet, trudging down the dune on fire, and you're like, you never came up. You never told me I was doing a good job. You just kept saying stuff. And she just burst into tears and I said, I'm sorry, you were perfect, and I couldn't get She just walked away. And the New Zealand crew said, I can't believe you let them talk to you like that, and I said, they're actors, not bankers. And if you would never put the camera on a banker, Wow, these emotions have to be there. But I was just like, that is what's needed to get that and you just have to realize it's But I was really boom. I know I was in the Sahara desert in the last fifty years. Was from your eyes. It's so true. It's so true.
Speaker 1: I was because I was up there and I just thought he wasn't happy, right, Because he was I couldn't see him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's part of this is not the sound of happiness. No, got that game goain.
Speaker 1: So I thought he wasn't happy, right. So I've done it like eighty million times. And it was scary, okay because camel, Yeah, because the camel's really tall. You don't realize how tall the camels are. To do was his name. Cynthia was not pleased to be on that camel.
Speaker 2: So do it again, do it again?
Speaker 1: Yeah? We did it so many times. Cynthy was cranky as I'll get out.
Speaker 2: And a thousand degrees and on a camp it was very okay, crazy couldture craziness rather in sanity.
Speaker 4: Hats Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh, I got that thing upstairs that she made for me, the coat of Many Colors. It was like Joseph's Cod of Many Colors.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Do you remember way also, do you remember when we had to walk over the dew ye and you had to squat down so he could see our heads.
Speaker 2: He's on the other side.
Speaker 1: Again you have to brush the thing right, so we had to bend down like in a chair position.
Speaker 2: But we're in our heels. But we're in our heels in the Sahara desert, you know.
Speaker 1: Which was like I could see their heads insane, right, So I.
Speaker 2: Kept screwing lower and they're literally squatty, and then they have to stand up and.
Speaker 1: He'd be like glamorous and we'd be like what I mean? And then I remember one time Pat so, so we're in the crazy outfits, right, and we're hiding behind the dune and the squat trying to like glamorously rise up and you know, traverse the sand dune in the heels, and you know, we're getting ready to go, and they've brushed the sand. They've brushed the sand and everything's perfect. We're waiting, We're looking at each other like well, what do we do? And then all of a sudden pass like stop. Mollie's got like two racks of belts and the two.
Speaker 2: Of them trudged through the freshly brushed sand.
Speaker 1: Because she doesn't like my belt. We're all like, who she met at? Who she met at? What's she coming from?
Speaker 2: Exactly?
Speaker 1: She liked my belt. So two racks of belts come across the dune and she's like, wow, man, We're just like, oh Jesus, you know what I mean. But she fixes the belt and then we have to do it and we pulled it off. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean, it was it was unlike any other experience any actor will ever have.
Speaker 1: And it's not over.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: We love you, Michael Patrick King.
Speaker 2: I am delighted to be here. Are you a Charlotte The answer is yes, and you're also everyone else, But what about you? I am definitely Carrie and Miranda. When I was single, I was Samantha. Yeah, and I think that I might be a closer to the new Charlotte.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because you do care.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, I mean it was the one I was furthest from of course, which is so interesting is how close we got.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, absolutely. Well that's that's the journey, isn't it. Yeah, thank you for being here.
Speaker 2: My pleasure. We love you, love you too. Oh kiss it wo