Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 3: This He's Talking Cowboys, screaming live from.
Speaker 2: The Dallas Cowboys World Course at the Star in Frisco.
Speaker 4: Second past kitson patient.
Speaker 5: Touchdown and now your hosts Isaiah Standback, Patrick Walker, Josh Rodriguez, and Kyle Yeomans.
Speaker 6: Dallas Cowboy.
Speaker 3: It's a Victory Monday on Talking Cowboys, presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company, the NFL Vegas.
Speaker 2: A little bit of everyone sprinkled coast.
Speaker 3: To coast at the Carolina Panthers had a chance.
Speaker 2: They thought they had some life. They got even with a three game losing streak.
Speaker 3: They were gonna give the Cowboys everything they could handle.
Speaker 2: Not so fast does the.
Speaker 3: Cowboys dominate Carolina thirty to fourteen. The final score a thirty burger, which feels about as rare as a forty burger at this point in time. But the Cowboys get it done. They have a phenomenal second half. After a pitter patter ending to the first half, they said, no big deal, we fumbled the ball, gave up an eighty three yard touchdown.
Speaker 2: All that is fine and.
Speaker 3: Dandy, but guess what what, we're gonna find our stride in the saft and they made it happen. So Cowboys all of a sudden look like one of the better road teams in the NFL. Shockingly enough, they're five and two on the road as opposed to one and six at home.
Speaker 2: But we don't have to talk about that. We'll talk about that. Yeah, we can talk about that later. That's fine, that's fine later.
Speaker 3: But the Cowboys get it done on the road alongside Patrick no c Walker, Josh Rodriguez, Tommy Yaris with Chris Beam in the back. I'm Kyle Yeomans, glad you're with us. It was a fun trip out to Charlotte, it was, and the Cowboys rewarded the way.
Speaker 4: Yeah. And one thing that was the crux of the Cowboys struggles is once the defense started to turn up with their takeaways, the offense just would not reward them. Contrarily that they would find ways to go three and out and kill long drives with untimely penalties and things like that. It was yesterday perfect No, because this is still a team that's struggling with a whole lot of adversity, but they found a way. This offense did to continually, more often than not, reward the defense. So when you talk about that, you talk about coming out strong in the third quarter, Panthers first possession, Panthers first snap, you got OsO Diggi Zowa doing what OsO was doing yesterday. Cowboys offense gets the ball back, get some points on the board, and it kind of second half went from there, and you just love it. I guess Cooper Rush roses yesterday because I was hard on him yesterday, especially after that that fumbled handoff again another one. You gotta repair that. That cannot happen at this level with simply cannot. But for the first time ever ever, Cooper Rush is a man. He's not a machine. He has emotions. Cooper Rush was pissed, he was frustrated at himself.
Speaker 2: He left, throw the helmet, throw the hat.
Speaker 4: I was like, what is that? Who is that? And then he used that fire in the second half to kind of repair that mistake, especially because it cost the Cowboys that eighty three yard touchdown to Cocher fourteen point swing. So, I mean, the defense came to play some ball against a highly confident Bryce. You only talked about it going into the matchup Bryce Young in that offense and in the defense, they almost upset the Panthers, the Bucks, the Eagles, all playoff teams. Short week for the Cowboys, coming off of gutting loss against the Bengals, losing to Marveyanov shown, which is equivalent to just somebody reaching in your chest and pulling your heart out. My question was which which team would respond that, which version of the Cowboys would show up? I liked the version that showed up. This version that showed up has a lot of fight on them, and that was fun to watch.
Speaker 6: It's good taking advantage of a bad team.
Speaker 4: I was, you know, but when you're a bad team.
Speaker 7: When you're a bad team, you with the talent that you have, regardless of who is on I r who is not on.
Speaker 2: I agreed, you have to be able.
Speaker 6: To take advantage of really bad teams.
Speaker 7: This is a bad team from the jump, like they started as a bad team one and seven and are now ending. I mean, of course they had a few games there were, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Exactly, they were playing better football. We talked about it.
Speaker 4: Playing I don't want anyone say, oh, well it was the Panthers, you were supposed to know. Actually they.
Speaker 6: Took the Eagles to the wire.
Speaker 7: They almost beat the Sheeps, right, so they were they were playing really good football and Bryce Young was actually playing really well.
Speaker 6: He had some confidence behind.
Speaker 7: Him and you saw that through even the first half, even uh, they're marching the ball down the field. And it's not until Marius Luifou absolutely ends that drive that was huge, Maris lou leaf Maris leaf o that that oh, I don't know, part.
Speaker 2: Of the bloodline.
Speaker 6: If you will, actually I don't know. I'm just kidding, but.
Speaker 4: Shut out, all right.
Speaker 7: Well, it's not until he ends that drive where you're like, Okay, finally, finally the defense is doing something big to take advantage of this team, and that's what really turned the game around. However, you give it back to them at the end of the first half and you have that fourteen pointing.
Speaker 2: You gave them a chance, you.
Speaker 3: Gave it that eighty three yard It would have been seventeen zip at halftime.
Speaker 6: That eighty three yard touchdown. I haven't even gone back to watch it. I'm I don't want to. I don't want to see it again.
Speaker 2: I never want to see it again.
Speaker 6: Control I'll delete my brain. Dude, I'm not ready to see that again.
Speaker 7: I don't want to know what happened, because that was just a self fulfilling prophecy.
Speaker 4: Somebody took the the.
Speaker 7: Offense, let them just gave it back to them. The defense had the ball or had a chance to stop them, did not stop them.
Speaker 6: Obviously, a really really, really bad play.
Speaker 7: But you take a breather, you take half time, you come back and you persevere, and you just.
Speaker 4: And feed bully and you've hand off the Bulto Rico dollar.
Speaker 7: You would bully Brice young Man. You give them a noogie, dude on live TV.
Speaker 6: It was rough, per.
Speaker 2: Alright, alright, it was in Carolina, dud.
Speaker 6: Bullying is not good.
Speaker 3: I'm not We're not condoning that, no, of course not.
Speaker 7: But that's what you did on live television to another human being.
Speaker 6: And uh, that's all right. I'll take it. I'll take it.
Speaker 7: It was nice to see the defense come back and play really well and bully the Panthers.
Speaker 8: If I told you, guys, four five weeks into the season, I asked you think Dallas is gonna have a thousand yard rusher this season? Oh no, absolutely everybody here would say I would have said that very good.
Speaker 3: Josh might have just because he's been on the There you go, Yeah, well.
Speaker 8: That music should be playing louder after Sunday, Chris.
Speaker 2: Frank, There you go straight.
Speaker 8: He is at a care or high in rushing one hundred and forty nine times. Michaelccarthy has said weekend and week out, we need to give this guy.
Speaker 2: To the Baltimore.
Speaker 8: We need to give this guy to the Baltimore.
Speaker 2: They need to give this guy to the Baltimore.
Speaker 8: They finally gave him twenty five touches six yards of carry, still no rushing touchdown, but it doesn't matter. He set them up to for success offensively the entire day. Uh man, you got to give this guy's flowers. And he wants a thousand yards so bad. Last week in the locker room, somebody had asked him, He's like, so, Rico, do you know how much you need for a thous He was like two hundred.
Speaker 2: And sixty something.
Speaker 8: I was like, so, how many is that? At sixty five point seven? And he threw everything that he needed to get to get to that mark. Now I think he's only one hundred and twenty yards away with three games left, so that is a very attainable milestone and that's something that he wants. So tip of the hat, Tariko Dobble because he set up I feel like Cooper Rush for those three touchdown plays, those two the two throws that he made to Jalen Brooks and to Jalen Tolbert were phenomenal. Yes, But at the same time, you know, you give Cooper Rush his flowers. He managed the game well, it's what he's gonna do. He's gonna manage the game well for you, But there are still some moments where you're just like, oh man, you know, it's the backup quarterback stuff. And granted, it is incredibly valuable to have a backup quarterback like Cooper Rush, who is experienced, who can manage your offense, and who can win you games. He's won three out of the last four for this team, or help them win three out of the last four. But the play that stuck out to me was I think it was in the first half. They had a cross or to Ceedee Lamb and ceed was wide open. He had his man beat and he had the sideline to work with, get upfield and maybe score a time touchdown, and he just throws it way behind him and CD was frustrated.
Speaker 2: You could see the body lavage from CD.
Speaker 4: Yeah it was.
Speaker 8: And there were there were more than one of those throws and even the touchdown to CD. I mean that's just an alpha wide receiver adjustment mid route to come back to the ball and make that.
Speaker 6: Catch fall behind him and everything.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so you know, you tip your cap to Cooper Rush. But there's still things that need to work there. And then I'll end with you know, the defense. I mean, I wrote him here we go coming into this game that a big part of what decides this is who's going to win on the ground. They helped chew a Hubbard to thirty two yards on ten cars. That is that's a thousand yard rusher right there. That's a guy who had caught fire these last couple of weeks and was a big reason why Carolina was hanging around with the Eagles and the Chiefs and stuff like that. So tip of the cap to Mike Zimmer. I think his defense is really coming along here in the back half of this.
Speaker 4: And this is to Tommy's point. Yesterday was such an up and down ride for Cooper Rush, and there were those moments like the fumbook snap, the errant throws to a wide open ceed lamb where you really just did the forehead slap where you're just like, oh, come on, but even I mean, I put the accountability on Mike McCarthy's will on that fumble snap. Because if you're going to go play actional read option, where's Trey Lance in the package like that? You have a read option quarterback that you can probably use in those situations.
Speaker 8: So I was gonna say, I was gonna say, no, technology, I know, I completely understand. Yeah, if'rerunning a read option, Trey Lance should be in the game.
Speaker 2: I don't think that.
Speaker 8: Was a read option where he yeah, I think that was he was he jumps it off to the flat. But I completely agree with you.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, in those red zone packages like that, it'd be nice to see some trading.
Speaker 6: Absolutely absolutely, but they tried, they have tried.
Speaker 4: They have trapped. But to Cooper Rush.
Speaker 3: At the same time, you though, whenever you bring in Trey Lance in a red zone package for the yeah, you're showing.
Speaker 4: What he has an arm not a good one, but it's it's attached to his body somehow, I.
Speaker 2: Mean, I mean good enough for he has very much. I don't know that for sure. I don't know, but that showed me to make sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you're throwing him in the game, you would have to sprinkle him in in different situations.
Speaker 2: You can't put him in and say read option.
Speaker 3: Yes, they won the game yesterday, but when we're talking about.
Speaker 4: The ups and downs, we are talking about us downs. But I was also going to use that as kind of a segue to giving the roses back to Cooper Rush, because again, he could have let the fumble snap defeed him. He could have let the errant throws to feed him. But instead what does he do in the second quarter, third and eight, completion the Lamb for twenty yards, third and three, completing the Lamb deep right, That was a twenty twenty six twenty eight yarder, and then in the red zone third and four the touchdown to Lamb. Now, that was a bad throw, but Lamb helped him out on that. If he and Lamb can just get on the same page, because over the past several weeks that's the biggest crux of their issues. They've not been able to get on the same page timing, route wise, And I get it backup quarterback to wide receiver one. You don't get a lot of those reps unless QB one is out of the picture. Yes, but we're now more than a month in you would you would expect to not see those mistimings and miscommunication. So hopefully they kind of get more on the same page. But at least we saw more and more of them being on the same page yesterday.
Speaker 7: And that's not to mention the dot that he threw to Jalen Brooks as well in the back.
Speaker 6: Of the end zone.
Speaker 3: Best throw of his year, maybe career, his career, yeah, I have seen so far because it was double he was double covered on the inside, and Brooks just worked free the fact that Rush had the freelance initially, but he knew at that point because of the drag routes and the way that that system was filled, no one's going to be there from that hash mark. So then it's a foot race exactly back of the end zone is a foot race between he and Jalen Brooks, and there are Jalen Brooks in the other two corners at that point, and so he's like, you know what, let's just put it out there, and sure enough, Jalen Brooks adjusted to the ball too.
Speaker 2: Just like Seed Lamb did, but it was a better throw. He didn't have to do nearly as much.
Speaker 4: I was a shout out to to why our Savior's coach, Robert Prince, because he is clearly I don't know if he's taking these guys to ballet classes or whatnot, but when you talk about Jalen Brooks's touchdown and Jalen Tobert's touchdown, these guys they know how to get those toes down.
Speaker 3: Before I get really give enough flowers to Robert Prince, I would like to see it more than one reception from guys like Jalen Tolbert and Jalen Brooks. Absolutely, they had a touchdown and they were both great, but that it was the only catching.
Speaker 4: A combination of the play caller in the quarterback going through his reads and either seeing them or not seeing them. Maybe so, but yeah, I don't, I don't, but I don't put that on Robert Prince. I think in this capacity he's doing his job and training up the guys and coaching up the guys, and then once they're on the field, it's here's the play, and if the play is supposed to go to them or maybe the second or third read. Does Cooper Rush get to the second or third read? So I think that's some more.
Speaker 3: And I'm okay with the way that they divvied up targets yesterday. Ceedee Lamb should get seventy per of your targets because he's seed the Lamb.
Speaker 2: And that's why you yeah, even more so, but let's keep it going. Because he had one hundred and sixteen yards receiving yesterday.
Speaker 3: With a couple of good throws, a couple of good throws, he's at one hundred and fifty yards or more and maybe two touchdowns as well. So I'm okay with feeding Cede Lamb significantly. But if there's a number two guy, it's still Brandon Cook's Jake Ferguson. I think he's still kind of working his way back in.
Speaker 2: He hasn't been super impactful as a pass catcher.
Speaker 3: But outside of that, it's it's really been who's going to step up this week? Is it going to be Cavante Turpin or is it going to be Luke Scoommakers, Is it going to be Jayalen Tolbert. We haven't seen a consistent number three guy to this point exactly.
Speaker 7: That consistency because you did see Tolbert obviously caught a touchdown that was great, but earlier in the game, I think it was the first half, he had a.
Speaker 2: Very crucial drops.
Speaker 4: To me, we've seen that.
Speaker 7: That's what you've seen with Jalen Tolbert. You see, you know, a great play followed up by a really terrible play. I mean, it's just the instant since he was there for sure. But Jonathan Mingo, guys, remember we traded a fourth round pick for him.
Speaker 4: You talk about another talk about two guys who can't get on the same page. Jonathan Mingo and Cooper Rush cannot get on.
Speaker 7: The same zero stats yesterday, he did not make any stats whatsoever. I mean that that that's for him to go back to Carolina and not have a single catch, to me, is a real detriment to the But that was.
Speaker 4: Because the hometown guy was getting Jalen Brooks.
Speaker 2: I mean he had one target, one catch.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, The hometown guy that was getting the rock was average.
Speaker 7: Six yards of carry yesterday, which is insane.
Speaker 4: There was a lot of hometown cooking because Rico, Jalen Brooks and then easy those Carolina buys.
Speaker 2: That's I forget about it.
Speaker 4: Interception. Carolina boys cooked up in Carolina.
Speaker 3: It was much better than the Carolina guys on the opposite side, like Clowney and uh and Xavier.
Speaker 4: Look not so much, not as much. J Hor You know what, jadeveon Clowney tried to impact the game earlier on, early on. Shouts out to guys like brock Hoff and TJ. Bass for shutting that down and especially when too many Doga went down injury and I once Dooga went down, my eyes went right to Tyler Got and I was glued to Gotten for the remainder of that game, and Gotten arguably had the best, if not one of the best games of his.
Speaker 2: He fought his ass off.
Speaker 3: That was the first thing I thought when I looked back at it this morning and going back through it doing.
Speaker 4: Okay, it wasn't perfect, no, no, but it was damn good.
Speaker 2: But he was he was fight.
Speaker 4: You go back and you look at the touchdown. I think it was the Jaalen Brooks touchdown, if I'm not mistaken. Cooper Rush flushed out, flushed himself out to the right. He actually didn't need to because Tyler Gotton had a wall over there on the left side on the blind side. So that's a perfect example of it. And I understand why Cooper Rush would go out because it would flush out because it's kind of been uneven on the blind. It was a broken play, right, but if he had the opportunity to My main point is Tyler Guyton, that's what we want to see, that's what he wants to see. And I just look forward to him being healthy and being able to produce because the kids been beat up.
Speaker 7: Man, He's just he didn't have a full off season. We've talked about that many times. I mean, he was just training.
Speaker 4: But the offensive line looked good again. But as as goes the Cowboys this season, injury Bug doesn't like when nice things happened to Dallas. So TJ. Bass don't remind me. I have to remind you. So TJ Bass goes out, what was tjss thigh THI with a thigh injury. So he's being monitored and.
Speaker 3: We need twenty He had twenty seven snaps. The rest of the offensive line had twenty nine. That means he was about two snaps well close just to getting out of their house.
Speaker 4: So now we will wonder as the week goes on, what it looks like against the Tempa Bay Buccaneers. But two many Dooka goes in after going out with injury, comes back in, goes in the right guard. And we've said on this this podcast before, and I know I believe that too, when we get is a better guard than tackle. But they still were able to protect, and they still were able to carve lanes for ric O Daldo and then Doubtle died the rest. So again, I can't stress enough, man, there were so many moments in that game. Talk about the fumb'll talk about the eighty three yard touchdown, talk about how frustrated Turk and could have been at Jalen Brooks for not completing that block on that particular drive because that would have been he could have crypped. That offense comes out and they end up scoring a touchdown on that drive with multiple third down conversions. The team had a lot of reasons to give up yesterday and they just refused to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's one of the things that is encouraging to me the most. Not necessarily for playoff hopes or anything like that. I think we've pretty much hit that that that's not in your hands anymore.
Speaker 2: But you got to build your momentum either way.
Speaker 3: When we come back around Talking Cowboys, I want to talk about that moment, the fact that a lot of the shine has gone to the offense in this win, but this was still a defensive win for the Cowboys. Mike Zimmer continues to put his guys in the right spots despite losing two starters for the season over the last seven days. We've got more to talk about when we come back on Talking Cowboys. If you're looking for fresh American roasted coffee that gives back, you need to head to your local grocery store and pick up a bag of Black Rifle Coffee. That's right, America's coffee is now available in the coffee aisle of a grocery store near you. Black Rifle Coffee Company is veteran founded with a mission to give back to those brave men and women who have served our nation. Every bag box or can you purchase help support that mission. Head to your local grocery store and roast yourself some Black Rifle coffee today.
Speaker 9: Tod thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheetah Savannah.
Speaker 10: Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and T five G.
Speaker 9: Fast, reliable, secure.
Speaker 11: Five G requires compatable plan and device five G may not be available in your area.
Speaker 6: See add dot com slash five G for you fifty deals.
Speaker 3: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black, and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip. That's get Jack Black dot com slash.
Speaker 2: Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip.
Speaker 6: If you shout how about them cowboys?
Speaker 12: You have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors. Together, you're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't be beat better. Yet, gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone.
Speaker 6: The wins will be even tastier. It's a pepper thing.
Speaker 3: To Talking Cowboys. Back here on Talking Cowboys. This portrait of the show was brought to you by Quaker Oats, the official oatmeal sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys. Quaker Oats trusted since eighteen seventy seven. Friendly reminder that the twenty twenty four Fan of the Year is presented by Captain Morgan.
Speaker 2: Be sure to get your votes in online for the Cowboys Fan of the Year.
Speaker 3: All right, Patrick, Oci Walker, Josh Rodriguez, Tommy Yarish, I'm Kyle Yeomans, Tommy, I'm going to start with you on this one. The Cowboys, at multiple points yesterday put up phenomenal numbers offensively, we talked about CD Lamb, we talked about Rigo Dabdell, even Cooper Rush with the three passing touchdowns and some of the throws that he made. Despite a rough first half, he found a way to slow it down, have some consistency and piece together significant drives in the second half. But at the end of the day, when you needed a big turnover to start the game, you had marislea foul punch the football out boom, turnover, take away, Cowboys get the ball Panthers off the board.
Speaker 2: When the Panthers had all the momentum to start the.
Speaker 3: Second half, they had just scored on an eighty three yard touchdown following the Cooper Rush fumble.
Speaker 2: They've got all that momentum, they've got the football, they can drive and take the lead.
Speaker 3: You know what happens the first play of the drive, Ohsa Digi Zoo gets in there by the way Osazoo. The fact that we're in the second segment and that's the first time we've said your name today, I apologize because you're all over the field yesterday.
Speaker 4: No I said it, did you well?
Speaker 2: Thank goodness, Patrick's this and that's why they pay him. The big bucks. I don't believe you. I will have to go back and review.
Speaker 3: However, the defense as a whole still making the plays that you need to get it done. And if you take one special team's blunder out of the way, you're at seven and seven because of the way this Cowboys defense has been playing.
Speaker 2: How much credit deserves to go to mind Zimmer because of all of that?
Speaker 8: Oh, a ton of it, A ton of it. I mean, when you look at the way they started this season, I think you clearly saw a bunch of guys trying to adjust from one scheme to another. And we even heard some of the players talk about it. Treyvon Diggs was vocal about, you know, hey, we're we're still trying to slow this system.
Speaker 4: Down for us.
Speaker 8: We're still trying to get acclimated to this and we're still trying to pick up the verbiage and where we need to be and how we can play fast once we know where to be. Well, now everybody knows where to be, and you're seeing why Mike Zimmer has been in the NFL for so long. You're seeing why he's been credited with having such great defenses. Four turnovers yesterday you know, Mike McCarthy said that they come in bunches after they were negative ten in the turnover margin just a couple of weeks ago, which is completely uncharacteristic for a Mike McCarthy team, much less a Mike Zimmer team. And so now I think they've got that number down to native five, so slowly but surely they're coming back to this. But well, you know, Cooper Rushes, you know, one fumble a game is kind of helping you, not really helping you move in the right untunately. Yeah, come on, man. He did say after the game that he's like, I don't know what's going on, but I got to fix it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 8: So well, yeah, Mike Zimmer deserves a lot of credit, and I think he deserves more credit because of the personnel that he has had to work with. You lose your superstar and to Marvion rising superstar into Marvion overshown. Trayvon Diggs is out I think his third game of the season that he's been out.
Speaker 7: And it's not like he's been healthy all season. He has, He's missed a few games already.
Speaker 8: Absolutely not. You missed Deron Bland for half of the season. Jordan Lewis gets banged up yesterday. You know, you've got Eric Kendrick's trying to lead this line back to.
Speaker 6: You, who's been dealing with the shoulder all season exactly.
Speaker 8: Michael Parsons is out for a majority of the year, Tomarcus Lawrence has been Williams available, No Sam Williams, and so you know you've got to have a guy like Carl Lawson step up. I think that's one of the bigger success stories for Michael.
Speaker 4: Genuinely he is.
Speaker 8: He's playing phenomenal football. So yeah, Mike Zimmer deserves a ton of credit. And obviously the record's not going to reflect it. You know, we can say, yeah, this team should be seven and seven, which they should, but the reality, unfortunately is they're not, and so there's nothing you can do about that. But this defense has come a very long way. In credit to Michael Parsons because he called it a couple of weeks ago. He was like, by the end of the year, everybody's gonna say this is a damn good defense, and it's looking like it right.
Speaker 2: Everybody called him crazy for it too, And.
Speaker 7: Back to Carl Wilson. Really quickly, he started the season on the practice squad. Yeah, and not a lot of people give them enough credit for battling back from not necessarily being in shape at training camp, going to the practice squad, and now coming back.
Speaker 6: And he's only benefited because of.
Speaker 7: I mean, he's extra benefited because of Michael Parson's coming back into the fold. Michael Parsons has been a leader on defense, a vocal leader, not only but he's showing it on the field too. Jordan Lewis's sack on the day was because Micah Parsons was lined up over center drops into coverage, which they're like, wait a second, you can do that, and Jordan Lewis cleans up and one of the best plays I've seen from the defense all year. And you could just see the it's working. Like did you see Jordan Lewis's celebration after that play, Just like oh there's a jump man. Basically yeah, it is like it's come. It's all coming to fruition the defense how it should be. And like Tommy just said, Michael Parsons called it a few weeks ago. He's like, you're by the end of this year, you're gonna say, man, that was a good defense.
Speaker 4: I'm giving Mike Zimbra a ton of credit because one of the biggest issues with the defense over the first half of the year was that he was trying to figure out the personnel set, so he was trying to run his scheme. But I think we talked about it a couple of times when talking Cowboys. There's you know, the Jimmy's and Joe's are exits and nose which one do you want to give more more credence to. I personally would say, tailor your scheme to a player, but Zimmer initially was trying to tell your players to the scheme. Now what you're seeing is him putting guys in position to excel in ways that they can.
Speaker 6: Excel because he knows who they are.
Speaker 4: Right in being able to do that, you see that, Yes, you lose the Marveon overshown and guts the heart of the defense right out of the middle of the defense. But then Marrislee, if I was able to step right in and do that and do what he's doing now, Michael Parsons, he's back, he's thriving. Trayvon Diggs, you're missing him for some games, But then guess what you coach up a guy like Josh Butler. Unfortunately you lose him after he has that breakout game. But that it all goes to the Carl Lawstons of the world. Chauncey Ghostings of the world. Got to shout out Chauncey Ghosting as well, because these all these air rushers we talk about Mike Zimmer lost and the Cowboys loss, they've been able to now on the back half of the season, Mike Zimmer has look at his group and say, Okay, we don't look the same way we did in August. I got I got to figure out what does Kyle do best, what does Tommy do best? What is Josh do best? And those are the positions going to put you in instead of trying to shoehorn you in somewhere else. And then I'm just gonna let you play free and think less frequently and be more of a ball player and less of a scientist in real time. Right, And these guys are now flying around. Jordan Lewis with that misdirection sect in a combination with Michael Parsons, Jordan Lewis with the insanely wonderful coverage in the slot against Adam Thelam then tips that ball up is Eric Kendricks who comes down with his second interception of the season right, and the list goes on and on. Osa Odiggy Zua continues, continues, continues therect shop more and more in the back half of the season after having a slow start to the front half of the season, because he wasn't necessarily being placed in positions to excel as much as he was being placed in a spot to do a job. So now he's playing free. He's looking like twenty twenty three and twenty twenty two Osa, And like mikea I said yesterday when I asked him about Osa, not only did he say he's hard pressed to, you know, compliment a person who's better at being a human being and a leader and a veteran than Osa. But as Osa continue the direct shot, it makes Micah's job easier, It makes mar Sean's job easier, so forth, and so on. So Osa is becoming the straw that stirs the drink in the middle of that defensive line as he was the past couple of seasons, and that makes everything to the left, right and behind him work that much more freely. So shouts out to Zimber, things just clicking and shouts out to the Cowboys locker room because they were never not bought in everything. Just had to marry together.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 4: No one's quitting, no one's giving up, no one's getting suspended for you know, actions detrimental to the team. Hi, it's San Francis good.
Speaker 2: I was alright ready.
Speaker 8: Then one more thing here really quick. Yeah, just because this is something I kind of noticed yesterday, and you guys helped me out here with names here, how about some credit for Will McLay and Mike McCarthy's staff.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 8: The amount of undrafted free agents.
Speaker 2: We talked about it on the postgame show.
Speaker 8: Okay, thank you. It was bed had an impact in this game. Brock Hoffman, t J. Bass, Rico Dudel.
Speaker 3: Uh, you've got Brevin span Ford that was on the field for a little bit.
Speaker 13: Uh.
Speaker 2: You had Cooper Rush. I mean Cooper Rush. I think there was a free agent.
Speaker 8: I think there was one point where there were for offensively.
Speaker 3: There were seven or eight on the touchdown of Jalen Brooks, there were seven undred seven.
Speaker 8: Free agents on the field. Amazing to be in Cooper Rush that in the post game. If you're good, they'll find you. And the Cowboys have done a phenomenal job of finding pieces. Now these aren't all world game breaking pieces, but they're helping you win games, helping you win.
Speaker 6: Games, contributing to wins.
Speaker 8: For to be able to find that in the undrafted free agent market, where it's so hit or miss, and frankly more often missed than it is hit, they're hitting at a high level.
Speaker 7: I have an evil question, I haven't you.
Speaker 6: I have an evil no.
Speaker 7: I don't know if this would lead into the next break, but but we know what the Solard cap situation is going to be. Yes, you know that two of your the key defensive players are on one year deals, currently on their final year. The yeah, the final of the year of their deal you're talking about. And Jordan lewis, if you can only keep one?
Speaker 4: I described to that, because you can keep both.
Speaker 7: If you can only keep one, that is the evil question. Patrick, don't cheat.
Speaker 4: You can keep Patrick.
Speaker 2: How about your hypothetical?
Speaker 6: He really does, and he loves cheating. He loves getting out of things.
Speaker 4: I like theories and evidence, and the evidence supports the theory that they both can be returned.
Speaker 3: But this is a hypothetical. Is not ethetical? Is this is an actual hypothetical. We're not talking about actual theory here.
Speaker 4: I if you have to keep one and I love both the top. Yeah, this is tough, but I'm going to just defer back to.
Speaker 6: Most is playing himself giant.
Speaker 4: Want to defer back to my belief that you build a defense front to back. M okay, in which case, which is fair gun to my head, it's Osa, However, salary cap wise and tear free agency.
Speaker 6: You can keep believing.
Speaker 4: I answered your.
Speaker 6: Question, but do you believe that we will keep love?
Speaker 4: Honestly, I don't see how you. Yeah, it's more like it's more likely it's more likely that Jordan. As far as probabilities, it's more likely that Jordan Lewis is the retention. As far as probabilities goes, it's more likely that Jordan looses the retention because Osa is going to command a pretty dollar He's not a market center though, so that that'll that'll work.
Speaker 2: I'll play Devil's advocate here, just because I know it's Monday morning.
Speaker 3: The at this point in the season, Osa is playing phenomenal football, don't get me wrong, but there's only one of those two guys that with a winning record.
Speaker 2: I think and I fullheartedly believe this.
Speaker 3: If the Cowboys had a winning record, Jordan Lewis would be in the Pro Bowl. He's had Pro Bowl caliber play all the way through the fourteen game oh wait, yeah, fourteen games we've played this season. He's been Pro Bowl caliber in all of them. And he's been relatively healthy. I think he missed one or two games. He's been relatively healthy, and he's been great despite some of the ups and downs in the secondary. He has been with two All pros around him, he has been the steady piece on that secondary. I would give the nod to Jordan Lewis for a Pro Bowl vote, if, of course Pro Bol voting is open, you should go vote for him because he is has the caliber to do it right now. However, his contract's probably not going to be what OSS is because high level interior defensive linemen and possible pass rushers will get a prettier pinny. So I think it's more likely, and I think in the grand scheme of things, it would be just as impactful to keep a Jordan Lewis in that situation.
Speaker 2: In that hypothetic, I would love to keep both because I think.
Speaker 3: Is ascending and I think Jordan Lewis is despite being in his second or third contract now, he's still moving in the right direction as well. Both of those guys will play through, play well through their their next con and a leader to the both yeah right and pre draft.
Speaker 4: As we have this conversation, you also don't have an immediate replacement for either, No, you do not, so keep that you haven't.
Speaker 2: Had a lot of.
Speaker 8: It's a pretty easy answer for me, I would say, Osa, and that's nothing against Jordan Lewis. I mean, Jordan Lewis is a important locker room piece. He's an important secondary piece. It's it's it's difficult a good nickel corner in the NFL that's going to play as well as Jordan Lewis has. And he's played outside well too when he's needed to. But I'm a big believer in the in this league and in every level of football, you win at the line of scrimmage. Osa odiggy Zua is winning.
Speaker 2: A lot at the lion of scrimmage.
Speaker 8: He's also three years younger, and Jordan Lewis has been not not like he's you know, been ravaged by injuries, but he's been a little banged up this season. We haven't seen OsO DIGGI zoo on a lot of injury reports or anything like that. Dude, I know, knock, come on, man, Well it's not going to be you know what I'm just saying. Look, I'm just pointing out facts. I'm not predicting anything anything like that. But obviously you want to keep them both. But then again, you look towards this offseason, you've got those two guys, You've got Michael Parsons, which is going to take up a big, big, big amount of your salary cap. So you know, touch decisions are going to be made. But like I said, I think you build through the trenches. If you're gonna bring Michael Parsons back, which the Cowboys absolutely should, then why not pair him with another elite defensive tackle who can also get out of the quarterback and who's been playing some of his best ball. Frankly could also you could consider him for a Pro Bowl nod. Maybe not this year, but if he keeps playing like he has the last few weeks, he could definitely be there. Next year.
Speaker 2: He could absolutely be there.
Speaker 3: You just got to see it through the higher season, and I think from a steady handstandpoint, Jordan Lewis has been consistent.
Speaker 8: Absolutely, whereas Osa is flashed.
Speaker 3: I mean, yesterday he was as disruptive as anybody in terms of a front seven in the NFL up against the Carolina team that's not super great in their own right, but their offensive line had been.
Speaker 2: Playing well until they saw Oszoo and Michael.
Speaker 4: The answer he couldn't get.
Speaker 2: Do you think it's Osa too?
Speaker 6: For all the reasons, Tommy just said.
Speaker 2: No, I think it's great. And the evil thing about this that join Lewis retire come. The very evil thing.
Speaker 3: About this is that we still have three games left and we have an entire offseason that we could have this conversation and.
Speaker 2: We will have this commotion when we get to it. That's the real evil thing.
Speaker 3: All right, when we come back, did Jordan Lewis or Osagizuo do enough to earn a smelly sticker? We'll have our smelly stickers are players of the game when we come back with more talking cowboys.
Speaker 9: Todd thought it would be secure to jog and the cheat of Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this chie that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, secure.
Speaker 11: Five G requires compatable plan and device five G may not be available in your area.
Speaker 6: Seeatt dot com slash five G for you fifty deals.
Speaker 11: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United dagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 13: Hey, y'all, Matt Pittman of Meat Church here with football season kicking off, I'm already gear enough to bring the smoker back to AT and T Stadium for some epic tailgates that Texas heat. It's crucial to keep my beer handcramping cold. That's where Yetie's insulated colster can cooler comes in clutch this year. You can even get them with the iconic star engraved on the side. Licensed Yettie Cowboys gear is now available at stadium pro shops, concessions and on Yetti dot com. Check it out today. YETI Official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 9: And we're going to overtime.
Speaker 2: Erica, how much have I spent on concessions?
Speaker 14: For questions about their money? Dallas Cowboys fans can turn to Erica, the virtual financial assistant in the Bank of America mobile banking app. Learn more at Bankfamerica dot com, slash Erica by your side. Bank of America Official Bank of the Dallas Cowboys. Erica responses may very digital tools featured required downloading the mobile banking app and may only be available on select mobile devices. Erica is a mobile feature only available in the Elish language. Your chap may be recorded and monitored for quality assurance. Message data rates and additional terms may apply. Bank of America and a member FDIC.
Speaker 2: To talking Cowboys back here on Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 3: This segment is brought to you by in visil Line, the official smile of the Dallas Cowboys. Welcome back in everybody alongside Tommy Yarsh, Josh Rodriguez, Patrick nose Walker, Chris Beam in the back here on this victory Monday.
Speaker 2: I'm Kyle Yeomans. It is time now for our.
Speaker 3: Smelly stickers of the game. Which smelly sticker you're going with? Who's going to be your player of the game yesterday? There are a couple guys that deserve some stickers, And by a couple, I mean a lot of guys. You had one hundred yard receiver, you had a one hundred yard and almost one hundred and fifty yard rusher.
Speaker 2: You had a interception from a hometown guy. You had an interception from a savvy linebacker veteran. Got a lot of ways.
Speaker 3: You can go us yesterday, multiple sacks from Michael Parsons. We'll start with you, Patrick Nosey Walker.
Speaker 4: I'm going to go with a peach. Okay, going with a peach.
Speaker 2: That's pretty peachy.
Speaker 4: There's the peach and this peach goes to Recodowd. The reason Rico Daudo gets a peach is because even though cow stole my bar, I'll say it again, everything is looking peachy for ric o'dowdle Right now. It's not one one hundred yard game, not a back to back one hundred yard game, but the hat trick bangs.
Speaker 6: Another career day. You can't say.
Speaker 4: You can't reco Daudo the first player for the Cowboys to rush for three games of at least one hundred yards since Ezekiel Elliott did it back in twenty nineteen. He is cooking with fish grease, So keep handing him the ball and he will continue to do great things.
Speaker 2: The difference between fish grease and.
Speaker 4: Oh Man, that's that's a conversation fish grease. We got u oh Man shaking grease, chicken grease, bacon grease, bacon grease, bacon grease, that's whole.
Speaker 3: There's all the difference that you can't convinces he had bacon grease, yet.
Speaker 4: He's at fish grease.
Speaker 2: That's higher.
Speaker 4: On the black urban scale. Yeah, of grease temperatures in Kelvin de grease. Fish grease is the hottest freak.
Speaker 6: Doubt you gotta use like a cutting talking grease.
Speaker 3: Interesting Also, I love how you were the the Black Panther.
Speaker 4: Sure today just well, I'm sure that was a thought process. Yeah yeah, but Rico doubt he's cooking up something, something nice.
Speaker 2: Because we beat the panthers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was a thought process.
Speaker 7: All right, boys, I think I need to give some credence, some love. I mentioned it earlier, but one MICHAEH.
Speaker 6: Parsons.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you see this guy here, it's pineapple wering some glass or he's wearing glasses.
Speaker 4: Glasses.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it kind of looks like Tommy's glasses.
Speaker 2: Nice. Uh, it's Tommy the pineapple.
Speaker 7: He's too he's studied. He's a studious pineapple. He studied, he knew where to attack them, and he's so sweet.
Speaker 6: He made him taste it.
Speaker 7: Shouts to Michael Parsons with the pineapple absolutely killing it. Shouts to you, buddy, there's a smelly sticker.
Speaker 3: He definitely didn't press paws on his way to the No, he did not yesterday.
Speaker 2: He definitely did not.
Speaker 8: All right, So I got regular shmegular strawberry here.
Speaker 2: A regular smegular.
Speaker 8: What do you guys like about strawberries? They're sweet, they're sweet, they smell great, and.
Speaker 6: It looks good nose.
Speaker 2: Sure, I guess you know what I mean.
Speaker 8: Uh, they're good for it.
Speaker 4: Wait, it makes it very un appetite.
Speaker 2: Wait what.
Speaker 4: Not?
Speaker 2: I don't necessarily agree with that. Strawberries Yeah, really interesting, it's.
Speaker 6: Very porous nose. A.
Speaker 2: Well, my thing is.
Speaker 8: They're good for you, and Ceedee Lamb is good for the Dallas offense. He is the first Cowboy ever to have four one thousand yard receiving seasons in his first five years in the NFL, one hundred and sixteen yards a touchdown, nine catches on thirteen targets. He should have had more Ceedee Lamb for this offense. Just like strawberries are good for you, my friend.
Speaker 2: Get after it, get after it. I like it, all right. So you went with Rico Dadle, you went with Michael Parsons.
Speaker 4: Of course you.
Speaker 2: Went with Ceedee Lamb. I like it. You guys know what the state fruit of Carolina is?
Speaker 4: I do, but I'm I'm not. What is it? What is it? Hold? I think I forgot that. I know what it is.
Speaker 11: He doesn't.
Speaker 2: He doesn't. It's okay, yeah, science, it's not. It's not a peach. That's Georgia, right, absolutely, Okay? The state fruit of North Carolina is yeah, is.
Speaker 3: A scuppernong grate grape otherwise known as a green grape.
Speaker 7: Ah, the best difference, the best type of grapes call whatever the hell it's called, I don't even know, but it's a green grape, is what it is.
Speaker 2: That's what the state fruit of North Carolina is. And if you look on this grape vine, there's like one, two, three, four, five.
Speaker 3: They're twenty seven grapes. I mean, pressures on that grapevine. I'm gonna give this to the defensive front seven. You had Eric Kendricks with a pick. He had oh Sa Di Gizua with multiple sacks. Karl Lason made some impact. I'm giving it to the Front seven in general because they had all those pressures all cooked up against Bryce Young.
Speaker 2: He was never comfortable. It learned, It.
Speaker 3: Leaned into takeaways. It leaned into mistake. Six sacks, four takeaways. Give me the front seven to say, you know what, I've got the grape now, and I'm making all sorts of wine.
Speaker 7: Grapes, give them, give.
Speaker 4: Them wine, gives you grapes.
Speaker 2: I'm stomping all those grapes, making some wine.
Speaker 4: That's what it is.
Speaker 3: Cowboys, get to win thirty to fourteen. I hope you had fun with us today.
Speaker 6: We certainly did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we had some fun, no doubt about it.
Speaker 3: But yeah, the state grape or the state fruit is how do you call it?
Speaker 2: What do you call it?
Speaker 4: Again? Well, in the South we can call it. We pronounce it scorpi nine scorping.
Speaker 2: That's probably what it is. S c U p p e r n O ng.
Speaker 4: I'm confident we are wild and texting.
Speaker 6: We call them call them grapes.
Speaker 4: They're not grapes though, they're not grapes because they grow like one of those scorpionines is like three times the size of a normal size grape. And they're sweeter than grapes. So and I say this because especially those that are you know, from the Deep South. If you've ever tasted one, then you know the difference. And they have those trees that grow and whatnot. So we used to pick them off the tree and just take them in like a basketback to like my grandma's house. And yeah, we're not.
Speaker 2: It can be used. It could be used to make jams, jellies or wine.
Speaker 4: It's so good, so big, it's sweet, versatile.
Speaker 2: There's like a defensive front seven.
Speaker 8: There's nothing better than grape jelly.
Speaker 2: Is that nothing.
Speaker 8: Flavors that's the best.
Speaker 4: That's that's that's the best thing gives me apricot jelly, grape apple, and strawberry, absolutely strongly, absolutely strong grape.
Speaker 2: I'm a grape jelly guy.
Speaker 4: That's because you've been indoctrinated on the grape. We all have been we all have been led to believe that grape jelly is is the goat, and it is a head, it is a Muhammad Ali. But I'm telling you you have others like strawberry and apple who can give you a run around.
Speaker 2: Love strawberry jelly, but just not as much as grape jelly.
Speaker 4: That's fair, that's fair, Just letting you know. Grape is is not alone.
Speaker 6: On the island from the inn.
Speaker 4: Throw it on there.
Speaker 2: Thanks breaking up at nine in the morning to listen to this.
Speaker 3: For Chris Bey, for Tommy Yards, for Josh Rodriguez, for Patrick no Seawalker.
Speaker 2: I'm Kyle Yomen saying so long on a victory Monday. The Cowboys beat the Panthers thirty to fourteen. We'll see you tomorrow.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club