Speaker 1: An illegal alien from Guatemala charged with raping a child in Massachusetts. An MS thirteen gang member from Al Salvador accused of murdering a Texas man of Venezuelan charged with filming and selling child pornography in Michigan. These are just some of the heinous migrant criminals caught because of President Donald J. Trump's leadership. I'm Christy nom the United States Secretary of Homeland Security. Under President Trump, attempted illegal border crossings are at the lowest levels ever recorded, and over one hundred thousand illegal aliens have been arrested. If you are here illegally your next you will be fined nearly one thousand dollars a day, imprisoned, and deported. You will never return. But if you register using our CBP home app and leave now, you could be allowed to return legally. Do what's right. Leave now. Under President Trump, America's laws, border and families will be protected.
Speaker 2: Sponsored by the United States Department of Homeland Security.
Speaker 3: All right, guys, welcome back.
Speaker 4: Yes, this is a special episode Earned your Leisure dropped off schedule on Sunday for the reason you do what you want when you popping right. For sure, we had one of the greatest of all time. Michael vick Man, pleasure man, Thank you for joining us. Thanks a legend this is a legendary edition.
Speaker 3: Thanks for having me. Appreciate it. Yeah, appreciate it.
Speaker 4: So we got the docu series dropping as far as the evolution of the black quarterback, so we're going to get into that. We're going to talk about the NFL. We're going to talk about the finances. You know, this is a financial I definitely want to tie in some money because a lot has changed over the course of the twenty years when it comes to quarterbacks and just NFL in general.
Speaker 3: But first and foremost, thank you for joining us. Appreciate it man, Thank you. Man.
Speaker 5: I'm glad we ain't doing this at eight o'clock in the morning.
Speaker 3: Ten am. I can function a little bit eight.
Speaker 6: So yeah, man, them called the seven thirty makeup and then seven forty five preps.
Speaker 5: All that I go through that enough on Sunday mornings at Fox.
Speaker 3: That's a fact. That's a fact.
Speaker 4: So let's talk about it. Let's let's talk about the series. How did you get involved in it?
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, uh, I got involved because for one, you know, me and my wife and we out or when I'm out with anybody, any of my friends, people always come to me and be like, you know, you change the game, man, And I mean and rightfully so for the you know, I understand, you know where they're getting at, and and a part of me believe that you change the game. Would I always be like, man, you ever seen Charlie Water, You ever seen Warren Morning?
Speaker 3: You ever seen this?
Speaker 5: And the answer was always no, Nah, you know, go google him and you know, get some into And after a while it was like my wife who she produces, and she she's involved in production and got her own share of production going on.
Speaker 3: She's like, yo, you should produce a doc where you just sit down.
Speaker 5: With all these quarterbacks that you a mayas so much since you're telling all these people that you didn't revolutionize the game or you had some part in revolutionizing the game, and you know, just being honest, you want to pay homage. And so this was all about paying homage and really, uh, you know, just resurfacing the history of the quarterback position, black quarterbacks in general. How hard we you know, we had to work a little harder over the years to try to put ourselves in a position and you know what I'm saying, be a leader for a franchise, and I just always felt like it was something that needed to be done, celebrating the league, celebrating how far we've come and the opportunities that's been given to us, because you know, we all took full advantage of it, got the opportunity.
Speaker 6: As you're careating the documentary and doing it, I wonder at a certain point when you obviously know the history.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I've taken a lot of flak.
Speaker 6: I'm a Washington fan because of eighty seven and Doug Williams, the communitists.
Speaker 3: For the Commanders.
Speaker 6: Now as you're watching it, you're starting to hear people say that your the reason that they played football. So now when you're talking to Cam, you're talking to Jalen, you're talking to Pat Mahomes, Right.
Speaker 3: How does that make you feel? Right?
Speaker 6: Because you're saying, like, these guys are the guy that they you should watch, And that's ain't like, no, you're the guy that we watch.
Speaker 5: It's certainly a great level of gratitude and appreciation because I know you got to have a role model, Like my role model was Steve Young. I was always looking at the NFL, and you know, trying to figure out who I could pattern my game after who looked like me. You know, that guy just happened to be a white quarterback who was left handed. They be like, yeah, so you know Cam and Jalen and Dak, they was all fortunate to have guys like myself, and you know Donovan McNabb and you know Jeff Blake and you know Steve McNair. You know, these guys were, you know, very influential in our lives and watched everything they do step for step or they did step for step and just wanted to emulate what they brung to the field. So to hit them say that, it's really an honor because I didn't play the game in the beginning to be a role model. And I'll be honest about that. I didn't understand that concept. I was just trying to be the best quarterback that I could be. But you know, as you grow older and you started to meet people, and you start to have football camps, and you know guys like Malik Willis who came through my camps and you see watch them ball yesterday.
Speaker 3: For Green Bay.
Speaker 5: It's like, damn, you know, we really influenced the generation that come behind us. So you know, I I'm glad I was able to embrace it as I got older, And you know, it goes to show that these guys watched us and they followed us and they're doing it the right way.
Speaker 4: Talk about the evolution, and you know, previously a black quarterback was an anomaly. Most of the quarterbacks were white, and there was racial undertones for that as far as quarterback is the leader of the team, seen as the most intelligent person a coach on the field. So that was a stereotype for a long time. And then it was when black quarterbacks actually did become more popular, it was only seen as like, well, they'd have to be a super athletic, right, But now we're seeing a wife or right. Some quarterbacks are super athletics, some are not as athletics, Some can throw, some run. So talk about like from you growing up as a kid to you being an NFL analyst now, the evolution of how the game has looked at the black quarterback.
Speaker 5: No doubt. As a kid, always heard story is about the NFL being so complex, like the offense is are hard to learn, and you know, you know it was always this stereotype that you know, maybe we couldn't pick the system up fast enough. I know, you know, it was something that scared me and made me kind of deterred me from wanting to pursue playing quarterback. And that's why I started out at running back. You know, I'm not really trying to get into that. You know, I'm a young man and I'm hearing all these things and I'm like, that's going to derail my chances of making it. And you know, I just I had a coach that you know, believed in me, kept pushing me in and like spent a lot of years feeling like I was playing a quarterback position for no reason that at some point I would my position would change. And you know, I wasted all this time trying to become a quarterback and the best quarterback that I could be, and you know, it was just it was it was really tough on my mental my mental health as far as like you know, when you're a kid and you expiring to be something, you only get to do that once and it's not like that like that don't fluctuate, that don't change like one day I want to.
Speaker 3: Be a professional football player.
Speaker 5: In the next day, I want to be a professional basketball player. The next week now you know, I'm gonna change and I want to be a doctor. You know, it don't work like you know, we we be like like focused on like what it's going to take to achieve that. And so I'm hearing all these stereotypes as I get older, and I'm really like shook up about it, Like damn, man, I don't.
Speaker 3: Know which way to go in my life.
Speaker 5: And you know, drafts, you know, I'm starting to see more black quarterbacks into the league here and there, and I'm like, okay, it's only about three or four of them. Might even if that, Like I wonder how complex these offenses are? So part of you know, so stop just stopping right there. I was like and making this doc a part of me wanted to find out, like back in you know, the seventies, was the offense is really that complay X where a black quarterback couldn't really understand it, you know, a Marlin Brisco or Jefferson Street Joe. Was it really so sophisticated that they couldn't lead and they couldn't compartmentalize all.
Speaker 3: These things and run a team.
Speaker 5: And so those questions I wanted to get answered in this dock. I feel like it's still a lot left to talk about from a standpoint of just gaining an understanding of how we got to this point, because now you know those offense League Willis, but Malik Willis got was with Tennessee and a different obviously a different offense than Green Bay.
Speaker 3: He goes to Green Bay.
Speaker 5: Two weeks ago, three weeks ago, he picks this system up. In three weeks he goes out and win two games in two weeks.
Speaker 3: Well, how complex is it from?
Speaker 4: Because I always I played basketball my whole life, and to me, football was a lot more complicated than complex. And that's one of the reason why and stop playing football, because it was you gotta really love it to really get into the schemes and all of that. And then you see these quarterbacks with these things on their arm and then violence.
Speaker 3: He left that part out and is violent. That's that's amazing.
Speaker 5: But I try not to say that because I don't like try to.
Speaker 4: So, But how how hard is it to act from from a mental standpoint to master that?
Speaker 3: Because it's like a college course in sense it takes time.
Speaker 5: I will say that, and I'm gonna continue the reference Miliite because he's just like fresh on my mind. Malik goes from Tennessee to Green Bay and it takes him maybe two weeks. They probably condensed it down, couldn't give him the whole playbook. He got a smart coach choose catering to his talents and you know, I'm not going to throw the whole playbook at.
Speaker 3: You all in one in two weeks and it helped.
Speaker 5: But those offenses take learning a new offense at least three and a half months. I say, before you can be comfortable going out in the field of executing without giving the game away, doing interceptions or putting the ball in harm's way. And so you know, all these things got to come together, and it just creates anxiety. You know, when you're not comfortable. When you're comfortable and you know what you're doing, it's a lot easier. And so I will say this quarterbacks now when they come into the league, they've worked for so many years with quarterback coaches and went to all these camps and like Mlik Willis came to my camp in twenty eighteen, twenty seventeen, twenty eighteen, won the MVP. He was transferred from Auburn, and so I'm not taking any credit for what but understanding like he got off good tootlage that day. You know what I'm saying From a mental standpoint, I remember talking to him about, you know, while he was transferring and like his quarterback journey because you know, usually when it guy transferring, something's not right.
Speaker 3: He ended up at Memphis, he ended up at Liberty, Liberty, Liberty, and why he killed it. He killed it at Liberty, and then it was so on and so far.
Speaker 5: The supposed to be in the first round pick winning the third, but you know, you see first round talent.
Speaker 6: So this this is interesting because we could stay with Elik because yes, he grasped the system and they condensed it. But he's playing behind Jordan Love. Yeah, when you talk about Jordan Love, you talk about c. J. Stroud, You're talking about Jay and Daniels Now with Commanders. As I'm watching, I thought another guy was about Jay. I'm watching this and I'm thinking to myself and maybe you feel this way. I feel like you're the most important black quarterback in the history of the NFL. Eighty seven is important Doug Williams, but we watched him growing up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, as you you talk about the Super.
Speaker 6: Bowl two years ago, we would ask you at the game jailing versus pat first time two black quarterbacks are playing together in the Super Bowl against each other in the Super Bowl. That was cool, a culminated moment. You're looking at the league. Almost every division has a starting black quarterback, most of Lamar winning two MVPs. That's all after you played. Yeah, as you're doing it and you're coming to completion, are you are you start? Because I think somebody referenced it like you are the most important? Do you feel that way?
Speaker 5: I'm starting to and I'm embracing it, especially after this quarterback series, And haven't these conversations with all these guys who we all went through our fair chef the now trial and tribulation and came out on the other side of it, some a little more worse than others. I feel like through my quarterback journey, it was only one or two moments where I felt like.
Speaker 3: I might have been stereotype.
Speaker 5: But that might have come from some of my own people, of my color, black people, And it was weird, you know what I'm saying. Never had a really had a white coach tell me like Yo, you to change your position. So I felt like I came up in a different era where the belief was there at the time where it was changing a little bit because of a lot of these coaches who coached College Boy. They were seeing Kevin McDougall and Donovan McNabb and they was Charlie Ward. So from a collegiate standpoint, Yo, you can do it right here. Next level, you know it's going to take some decision making, and then you know, the higher ups administration, owners, general managers, coaches got to make that decision in the NFL. And in part of doing this doc as I thought through it, because I felt like, you know, you had to. It took critical thinking that you just can't make an evolution of the black quarterback series and not have merit behind it why you're doing it. And so I really feel like owners, general managers, the commissioner over the years, Paul tag Libu, Roger Goodell, they all had a major part in the evolution of the game in the quarterback position and why we got so many dual threats because they had to make those decisions, y'all. I trust you, Jayden Dames, I trust you jaylen Hurst. I trust you, Mike Vick. I trust you.
Speaker 4: But then also I feel like, so this parallels from you coming from Newport News and somebody else coming from Newport News.
Speaker 3: You number seven, somebody number three.
Speaker 4: His part as what he did is you revolutionized it from a hip hop perspective too, Like even when you were in Virginia Tech and I felt like there was other black quarterbacks before that, but you put the stamp for like hip hop culture, going to Atlanta, being in t I's video and swag.
Speaker 3: And that's the same Like Ai kind of was the same tool.
Speaker 4: Like as far as what he did to the league, he obviously wasn't the first black superstar, but he's the first one with the tattoos, the corn rolls, the baggy clothes. Was like then that ushered into hip hop era. So what about how you feel about that as far as you bringing in that wave of hip hop.
Speaker 3: Culture for the for the black quarterback position.
Speaker 5: One that started with Alan. You know what I'm saying. Alan was big bro. So we all watched for Alan.
Speaker 4: You know, I'm growing up. Yeah, he was a hell of a quarterback. Yeah, he was a great quarterbacks.
Speaker 5: Player the Year, Yeah, Player of the Year basketball and then when he went through what he went through, it was like a really dark time for me because I was like following his every move and then he come back, he do all these amazing things, and you know, now he's just cultural icon, big brother, uh, somebody that we can look up to and somebody that we can the strive to be like.
Speaker 3: And so that was really cool.
Speaker 5: And it's all right to have a guy like Alan, you know what I'm saying, represent Virginia, you know what I'm saying, and show its mad love at the same time. So a lot of what I did from a cultural standpoint, I following you know, a big bro. And you know, it was just it was a great moment in a great time in sports. You know who whatever thought it looked like I said, it was entertainment, bro. Like what I A big reason why people gravitated to me and Island is because we.
Speaker 3: We did it different. We did it at a faster pace.
Speaker 5: We made it look cool while we was doing it, even though that's super hard like it was. But that's you know, the type of you know intensity we brung to the game, the love we brung to the game. You can't be great at anything if you don't love it. Yeah, and so I love football from the bottom of my heart. From the time I got selected by Atlanta It My love for the game just grew. When I was at Virginia Tech, I was learning to play quarterback and learning how to you know, lead a football team, you know, from the time to be kicked off until the time the game was over.
Speaker 3: Do you realize did you realize that in real time? Though?
Speaker 4: Like, yo, I'm the one that's pushing the culture forward in this position or is it just happening organically organically?
Speaker 3: I couldn't see it. I didn't realize it.
Speaker 5: But you know, I was a kid from Newport News, Virginia who didn't come up with anything. My mom did the best she could, my dad did the best she could. And it wasn't a life where I just had everything I wanted or what I wanted it to be. Like like I had family members who had everything, and you know, I used to have to go to their house and we had to go there to eat and play with his my cousin's toys, and it was just a you know, togetherness, you know what I'm saying. But I felt like I was always in a state where I was probably just a little bit hungrier literally than everybody around me. You know what I'm saying, Not necessarily my friends, but you know, sometimes family. But that's what made me dream hard, and that's what made me want to go for that goal.
Speaker 3: And man, I was growing up.
Speaker 5: Like at least I'm gonna shoot for the stars and if I miss, I'm amongst them.
Speaker 4: Leave it at that, you know what I'm saying. Last question before you answer Nuggert? How good was Could he have made it to the NBA to the NFL? Of course he could have made the NFL as a quarterback.
Speaker 5: He would have to walk up a little bit, he had to put on some weight because Alan, he's not the biggest. But I mean as far as athleticism, he could have played any position.
Speaker 3: He could throw like, yeah he was. Was he faster than you want to field? Yeah, it's faster than Yeah, he was a fellow.
Speaker 5: I was more quick than fast Alan just Allen just had that long speed and he was quick like he had everything. So without a doubt, like he would have. I envisioned him looking like Charlie Ward in college.
Speaker 3: That's a sensitive topic.
Speaker 6: Man, Yeah, shot at the f s U. I want to talk about the importance of the city of Atlanta, because that I mean, obviously black city. You were coming in with a news of play, Dan Reeves being your coach, different.
Speaker 3: Style of play.
Speaker 6: This guy just coached John Elway, right, that that's what he's known for.
Speaker 3: Then he has a new number seven.
Speaker 6: Talk about the role of the city of Atlanta embracing you that number seven, which I think should be retired.
Speaker 3: There's two numbers I think should be retired in Falcons history.
Speaker 6: One for sure, Yeah, talk about the role that the city played in embracing you and getting catapulting you to a superstar stass. But now you got to shoe you a cover guy on Madden, which was a cheek coode.
Speaker 5: But talk about that. I mean, everything I did was to please the city. From the time I got selected. Five minutes later, I'm saying to myself, Oh, I can't let this city down. They're yearning for a star quarterback, not just a star quarterback. I take that back for some success. You know, my first game in the Georgia Dome at the time, we had about twenty thousand fans in the stadium, and I'm looking around like, somehow, some.
Speaker 3: Way, this's got to change. Obviously.
Speaker 5: Arthur Blank was, you know, a genius from a business perspective, so he made it so that people wanted to come to the games. And you know, when he purchased the team in two thousand and one, he marketed the right way. He was able to, you know, lord the ticket prices and bring people in so we could feel the stadium for one. Then once the stadium got for him, like nah, I just I can't disappoint. And the city meant so much because of the pressure that I put.
Speaker 3: On myself to please the fans.
Speaker 5: And you know, I just took it upon myself, man, to do everything possible, even though it was tough, man, because you know, when you line up behind that center and that ball is hiked on that first play, man, you just got to brace up, believe in your study, believe in your in what you see, and be a man back there.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: That's why I try not to, you know, scrutinized and chastise the quarterbacks now because I can relate to what they're going through. I know how hard it is, and you know, that's why we celebrate the ones who win on a consistent basis, like like the Lamars and like the Patricks because it's tough. But you know, uh, Dan Reeves was amazing. It was the only coach that I told myself growing up, I didn't want to listens a little different because I used to watch him as a kid, and John Elway was one of my favorites. That's why I could fluctuate when I'm eight seven, You know what I'm saying, like these quarterbacks that could move like me, that I was watching them like I want to be like him. So Dan Reeves used to always just get into John's ass. I'm talking about all the time. If you go back and watch old clips, he he I mean, he lit ding up, probably bring the best out of him. And I used to tell myself, God, if I get drafted any team, don't let it be Dan Reeves. And he ended up drafting me. But it was the best thing to happen to me because he knew what to do with me.
Speaker 3: He knew how to.
Speaker 5: You know, when I got to a point where I was like riding too high, you knew how to bring me back down. And he was certainly one of the coaches that I respect more than anything.
Speaker 3: And he made me.
Speaker 5: Afraid to fail, you'd be afraid to fail. And I always never wanted to let him down. So we're talking about black quarterbacks.
Speaker 4: There is a certain political aspect that we got to talk about Colin Kaepernick. Yeah, taking a stand, well taking a knee actually, and that that was a major thing. And as a quarterback, he was the leader of the team. And so what what how do you feel looking back on this whole situation now that is over with and in retrospect, how do you how do you feel about that situation from his perspective how or and also the NFL's perspective.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I feel like Colin did what he felt was right, and he took a stance for a lot of people. He used his platform to bring awareness to what he believed in. Whether people felt like, you know, it was the right platform to do it on or not, that was his perspective and that's what he wanted to do free will in this world. The NFL stands like, I don't know, you know, what they you know, established or what they felt like was right or wrong in regards to it. I've watched it like everybody else and wanted to see what the outcome was gonna be what the conclusion was, I'm going to turn out to be because it was a unique moment in sports. I think Colin realized that. I think the NFL realized that. I think on all levels, everybody just wanted some form of respect, from the NFL to Colin.
Speaker 3: To just people abroad.
Speaker 5: I think everybody wanted, you know, this situation to have a positive outcome.
Speaker 3: But I think at the end of.
Speaker 5: The day, it was all about respect, everybody respecting one another decision that was being made. And so in talking to Colin, I know, you know, he's happy and that he stood up.
Speaker 3: He's happy that he took a stance for.
Speaker 5: A lot of people, and you know a lot of people appreciate that. So he's living his best life now and things are good and no complaints, so you know, we all move forward from it.
Speaker 4: Make the decision to change your life today. Join eyl University, the number one online platform for education. We have over two hundred past webinars. We have weekly classes, we have Troy's monthly Options master Class, we have Infinity groups, we have accountability groups, and so much more. This is the hands on education that you need to change your life. Go to Eyluniversity dot Com right now to become an earner.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So obviously Colin never got the second chance, but you did. I want to talk about Philly and obviously Andy Reid Hall of Fame coach now believing in you, and at the time they have a quarterback franchise quarterback. He's in the shout to donvd McNabb at the time, he's the star of the team and I'm wondering, obviously he's in the documentary and y'all seem like y'all have a good relationship.
Speaker 3: Yeah, was it always like that when you got there?
Speaker 6: Because I'm looking at it, it's like, this is a superstar who's coming into the team.
Speaker 3: I'm the quarterback. He's the only here to take my job.
Speaker 5: Really Yeah, well, I don't think Donovan looked at it as if I was coming to take his job.
Speaker 3: Donovan, Andy, they just embraced me in that moment.
Speaker 5: Donovan, he knew that I grew up idolizing him and wanting to be Donovan McNabb. The nineteen ninety nine draft, as you heard in the dock, was so inspirational to me because that made me feel like I could make it. And when I seen Donovan go because I watched everything Donovan did in college and something like he couldn't do no wrong in my eyes, and he really didn't do any wrong, and so he knew that he was one of my favorites.
Speaker 3: It was just kind of screwed up that we had to face each other.
Speaker 5: And so when you have to face somebody in the league or in any competition, it becomes a rival you know what I'm saying. Becomes a rivalry. And you know, it didn't stop the love that I had for him. It just made me want to beat him. And once I got to Philadelphia, I was like, man, look, it's an honor to be in the same room with you, to share some of the same football stories and to talk football with you and gain the understanding Donovan he knew a lot about the game from what he learned from Andy. I was just like in the room just soaking up everything because I'm like, this is gonna be a good situation for me because I can expand my football knowledge. And after listening to Donovan talk for you know, the first week, I'm like, I see why he's a future Hall of Famer.
Speaker 3: I was always a little envious.
Speaker 5: In a good way of Donovan and Andy because Andy used to let Donovan throw that day.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying, Oh, three h four five. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: Donovan led the league in a lot of statistical categories, yes, and so.
Speaker 3: You know he learned a lot along the way.
Speaker 5: And big credit to Andy Reid for being in you know that the mentor in his football journey.
Speaker 3: You ended up beating him a lot. Actually they got beat him twice.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he went to he always got me in the uh in the playoffs, he went to Washington.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I never forgot again, and uh, I never forget. It was the first game of the season, Monday night football. I think it's the first year you're starting, just signed a new contract.
Speaker 3: It's you.
Speaker 6: It's shady and y'all got to Sean Jackson. Yeah, yeah, they first first played a game. They paid Donovan right before the game, like, well, you lucky. I was on the ground then I was hungry.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: I was coming back from coming back from prison, and I was first coming off injury. You know what I'm saying, Like, I know my financial state, So I was back in that mold. I was like in Virginia Tech move where I was just trying to get it again.
Speaker 3: It ain't nothing like going through that process of you know, when.
Speaker 5: You you're striving to be great, when you got so much to play for. I wish, you know, once you know I got the contract, I would have kept that airs and I did, I you know, for the most part. But it was so exhausting to get back to that point. You don't have to go on to prison for two years, coming back, sitting for a year, that's three years out of football, then come back and you get it all back, and then you know, you got to keep that edge, keep that edge as things started to change around you. People started to change. They wanted Andy out of Philly, you know, and I love Andy the death. So my heart was like torn. I'm like, how could this great city not want this great man? But you know, all good things come to an end, and you know, it's just a lot of circumstances and that led to me leaving Philly.
Speaker 3: But man, it was some of the best years of my life.
Speaker 5: When I think back, I see pictures, man, and I just have a great sense of gratitude for that era.
Speaker 4: So from a financial sting point, so Dak Prescott. You just signed the biggest contract in history on another black quarterback. Yes, so two hundred and thirty that congratulations, two hundred and thirty one million dollars guaranteed eighty million dollars signing bonus. So the guaranteed aspect is interesting because you had one hundred and thirty eight million dollar contract with the Falcons, but only thirty seven million was guaranteed. So before, previously a lot football contracts were not guaranteed, notoriously for four contracts were not guaranteed. But now we're seeing more and more fully guaranteed, almost fully guaranteed NFL contracts, And that is a big difference because I mean you're talking about in that situation, almost eighty percent of your contract was not guaranteed. So people will see the number like you got one hundred million, but it's like, okay, well the incentives if you get hurt, if you don't make it to the Pro Bowl, and then by the time it equals out, you might not you might get paid twenty percent of that. So talk about when understanding that when you first signed that contract, and how the evolution has changed now.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Well, the only thing that matters in the contract is the fully guaranteed. The rest of it being center based is just fluff. That's those are agents that y'all make this contract. One hundred and two hundred and twenty million for my foot, that's for the brand. You know, what we as players see is the fully guaranteed.
Speaker 3: So it might be you.
Speaker 5: Know, two hundred million, but not for guys now, one hundred and ten million fully guaranteed.
Speaker 3: It's still a lot of money.
Speaker 5: So when I signed my contract, it was one hundred and twenty million, thirty seven million fully guaranteed, but or thirty four or whatever.
Speaker 3: But that was in two thousand and four. You know, it's twenty twenty four.
Speaker 5: It's twenty years later, salary caps throwing up inflation. You know, business is growing around the league, and owners are getting richer, and you know, you gotta pay players a lot more. And so that's just the era we are in now, and guys are fortunate. You know, ten years from now, the fully guarantees might be two hundred million.
Speaker 3: I mean, DeShawn wasn't far from now, yeah, I mean.
Speaker 4: That's where how was the pressure was headed When you signed one hundred million dollars deal, you were still young. So I'm assuming there was a lot of pressure because people look at it like, you got a hundred million dollars, right, So how was that signing that one hundred million dollars deal but then only actually having thirty seven guaranteed.
Speaker 5: Pressure when I signed my first contract. Because my first contract was like, uh, it's a rookie. It was five years, sixty two million, eleven million fully guaranteed.
Speaker 3: Everybody thought I had you got it, he.
Speaker 5: Got it, And I really do wish I had this sixty two million because but you know that's gonna come in time, you know, if it's five year.
Speaker 6: This episode is brought to you by P and C Bank. A lot of people think podcasts about work are boring, and sure they definitely can be, But understanding a professionals routine shows us how they achieve their success little by little, day after day. It's like banking with P and C Bank. It might seem boring to save, plan and make calculated decisions with your bank, but keeping your money boring is what helps you live or more happily fulfilled life. P and C Bank Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five. Brilliantly boring since eighteen sixty five is a service mark of the P and C Financial Service Group, Inc. P and C Bank National Association member FDIC.
Speaker 3: Erness What's Up?
Speaker 6: You ever walk into a small business and everything just works like the checkout is fast, the receipts or digital tipping is a breeze, and you're out the door before the line even builds odds are they're using Square? We love supporting businesses that run on Square because it just feels seamless. Whether it's a local coffee shop, a vendor at a pop up market, or even one of our merch partners, Square makes it easy for them to take payments, manage inventory, and run their business with confidence, all from one simple system. If you're a business owner or even just thinking about launching something soon, Square is hands down one of the best tools out there to help you start, run, and grow. It's not just about payments, it's about giving you time back so you can focus on what matters most Ready. To see how Square can transform your business, visit Square dot com backslash, go backslash eyl to learn more that Square dot com backslash, go backslash euyl. Don't wait, don't hesitate, Let's square handle the back end so you can keep pushing your vision forward.
Speaker 1: An illegal alien from Guatemala charged with raping a child in Massachusetts. An MS thirteen gang member from Al Salvador accused of murdering a Texas man of Venezuelan charged with filming and selling child pornography in Michigan. These are just some of the heinous migrant criminals caught because of President Donald J. Trump's leadership. I'm Christy Noman, the United States Secretary of Homeland Security. Under President Trump, attempted illegal border crossings are at the lowest levels ever recorded, and over one hundred thousand illegal aliens have been arrested. If you are here illegally, your next you will be fined nearly one thousand dollars a day, imprisoned, and deported. You will never return. But if you register using our CBP home app and leave now, you could be allowed to return legally. Do what's right.
Speaker 6: Leave now.
Speaker 1: Under President Trump America's laws, border and families will be protected.
Speaker 2: Sponsored by the United States Department of Home and Security.
Speaker 3: There eleven million a year, whatever the average is.
Speaker 5: But I learned quickly, and I was always up in my finances and me and my mom used to always take a closer look because we didn't we didn't know about taxes or anything. We've got our first signing bonus, and once we've seen it and we knew we had to account for it, you know, we got to revamp our game plan for longevity. We was always I was always thinking long term to make sure that when I did retire, that I retired in a good state. And so even as a rookie when my signing bonus was three million, when I got to three million, it was at one point now and I'm like, oh, man, yeah, I got to get to that next contract if I want to, you know, live the life I want to live when I retired. This at twenty years old, but I'm thinking retirement in ten years. You don't know if you're gonna get that second contract. You don't know how good you're gonna be. You don't know if you're gonna be a bus or it's just the unknown, and you know, people fear that.
Speaker 3: I know, so it was fear there.
Speaker 5: But I was like, yo, if I just take care of my finances, then I don't have to worry about what I do on the field. I can just perform. And so fast forward to two thousand and four. When I got that contract, I was in a good state. I think I had about five million saved up just from all league you know what I'm saying, from three years of playing and buy my mama house and kind of you know, taking care of myself and my family. And then I got the big contract, and so right then and now I was like, Okay, financially I'm set, you know. Now it's about making the right choices investing and making the money grow.
Speaker 3: So that's still in Atlanta.
Speaker 6: But then in Philly you get are you the first player to get two one hundred million dollar contracts?
Speaker 5: You are the first man? I guess, too big signing. So like, explain what the contract is? Yeah, you want to call it one hundred yeah?
Speaker 6: Yeah, well paper, So the Atlanta one sets you up right financially you're secure? Yeah, the Philly one, now are you looking at it differently? Like all right, now it's time to sit down and figure out what the investments are going to look like.
Speaker 3: Yeah. After I get up the.
Speaker 5: Field, Philly contract was more so I was in the bankruptcy at the time from coming out of prison. I still don't know how that happened, but yeah, I was in the bankruptcy coming out coming out of prison, and so now you know, I'm there's more money that's been It's not just paying taxes. Now you got you know, a whole nother burell that you gotta pay. So now I'm really cracking down on the finances, like all right, bo, I'm looking at when I I can sustain that's okay, that's that's feasible. And then you know, like I say, Philadelphia gave me the contract and I was thankful, Like they knew the state that I was in. They knew that I was grinded and trying to get back. And that's why some people, man, you just got to be so thankful for him could because they didn't have to do that. I earned it. But you know, Andy not saying he gave it to me or they wanted you need to be financially free.
Speaker 3: You knew the state I was in. I talked to Andy about everything.
Speaker 5: He knew what was going on in my life from A to Z, and so to be able to get that at the time, it was like, all right, man, I work hard for this. I just got to make sure I take care of it because you know, I'm busting it down. You know what I'm saying, It's getting busted down in thirds.
Speaker 3: But what's also new in the NFL is equity and ownership. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Is that something that you've ever thought that or looking forward to? Obviously the Falcons just did it. They had a small group because people don't realize enough for the franchises.
Speaker 3: Have been here for a long time. Yeah. Giants are celebrating one hundred years. Yeah.
Speaker 6: I just looked at the purchase price in nineteen twenty three. They were purchased for five hundred dollars. Five hundred dollars. The Commanders would just hold for six point two billion.
Speaker 3: Yeah. The Giants are valued probably more than that.
Speaker 6: And so if they never sell the team, then they never really have the liquidation events yep. And so they're tarning to take equity to do it. Yeah, so you signed to see that now. Is that something that you think about ownership inside of a team?
Speaker 5: I would love to you know what I'm saying. I think that's another way to build financial wealth. But you got in line with the right people and the right partners at the right time. One of my good friends who's affiliated with the Lanta Falcons. Got a percentage and got a piece. But you know, that's not something that I'm looking for. It's not something that I wake up and say, you know this, this is what I want to set my you know, set my heart out to do. If it happens, it happens, if the opportunity presents itself. There are other entities that I got an opportunity to be involved in. From a financial standpoint, that can be a really good situation. Some some things is coming in Atlanta. So right now, I'm just really in a good state, uh, you know, just with the people that that I'm centering around and the relationships that I have. And I think as you get older, that's really important to surround yourself with the right people who can help you on a day to day basis make decisions and put you in the right situations that's gonna be beneficial for you.
Speaker 4: So, from a financial standpoint, what's your advice to players, because a lot of there's a lot of hard stories as far as people getting robbed by their accountings, financial advisors, making bad decisions. The list goes on from different maybe mom that they got to pay child support and not fully understanding how contracts work, spending too much money, bad real estate deals. I'm sure you've probably seen it all. So what what's your advice to players as far as you know, avoiding falls that athletes have been prone to fall into.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my advice is that.
Speaker 5: You know, you know how to count, you know how to do audition and subtraction, and keep it that simple. If there's an investment that you want to get involved in, I say, you know, just perceive a caution and don't overwhelm yourself.
Speaker 3: Don't be thrown around millions of dollars. You know.
Speaker 5: Uh God comes and says, oh yeah, were about to you know, build this uh duplex over here, and it costs five million.
Speaker 3: We need a million dollars. Now, how about I give you two hundred.
Speaker 5: Thousand dollars first and let me and or introduce me to the investment group or the people that's involved. How we how we gonna you know, financially buy this property, you know, make sure that they can fully function and then also get a return. You know, you got to ask questions, but sometimes you ask questions and you get the answers that people want to give you if they know you naive and they know you don't know, then they can tell you anything. And so you got to read the room. And that's why I say in the beginning, don't go invest in millions of dollars. Like I gave a financial advisor eight million dollars when I was in Atlanta. I gave it to him because I had a lot and I wanted to grow it. And he took it and pretty much put it into what he wanted to put it into. And then when I was going through a rough time and I had to liquidate because of the trouble, I got in to pay back, you know, creditors to whoever wasn't I couldn't look with it. I couldn't find them, couldn't lick with they did. I'm just forced to file bankrupt.
Speaker 3: What was it put in? Like a real estate deal?
Speaker 5: It was in a big real estate I mean it was an amazing deal. Now we was pretty much building the city, you know, strip malls, movie theater. Yeah, yeah, for sure. It was a hellicon Union city. It was a hell of a plan, hell of a plan. And I was like, oh, y'all, you know what, I just spied to them, bro, I'm trying to grow, you know, my You know what I'm saying, this is my portfolio.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to grow it.
Speaker 5: I'm twenty I'm twenty five, twenty six years old, and I told you I always stayed ahead. I always think about my finances. Couldn't amount of millions and accounting. I'm like, oh, I can live off that because I already got everything that I need and I'm still playing, and I know what I'm making this year and I know what I got. All right, take that, and so those the type of situations that you can fall into. I feel like I was never supposed to file for bankruptcy.
Speaker 3: How'd that happen?
Speaker 5: When you're in prison and you can't make phone calls and talk to people and catch up with people, they run off.
Speaker 3: I'm just being candid, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: I know we having a conversation about other things, but you act and sometimes I feel like therapeutic for me to talk about the pitfalls and the things I got for him. You ask how you know what I'm saying, Just to be where are your people and just know the situations that you're getting into, because you can get taken full advantage of. And that's why I tell young men and women don't go invest in millions of dollars.
Speaker 3: It would have softened the blow for me.
Speaker 5: I'd have been okay if i'd have gave him a two million as opposed to eight. Now I got room to work work around certain situations. So yeah, man, you got to be smart with your money because that's your money at the end of the day.
Speaker 3: And learn at the same time. Yeah, I mean we have to learn from our heroes.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and so like to see you speak about it, to see you be vulnerable about it.
Speaker 3: They're gonna learn from it for sure.
Speaker 6: I think one of the most important piece is when you're talking to Dion in the documentary and he says, obviously you had to come back, but he didn't realize you a whole until you saw you with the family.
Speaker 3: I know your wife is ep on the project.
Speaker 6: Talk about that, the process of working together on something that's so important to the sport but to you as a union, like you're doing something together, you're working with your wife talking about that.
Speaker 3: It's fun when you get to work with your companion.
Speaker 5: Man, it's also nerve racking at the same time because a lot of the things it in relationships, you know, you bump here is and you don't see how to aunt certain things. So it's like, yo, I should ask this question now, y'all used to ask that question. Her and to producer to get together and they devise a plan and it all turned out to be, you know, the best thing that we could have done. You know what I'm saying in terms of right now, But yeah, man, just being a good listener, you know what I'm saying, following the game plan, just liking football, trusting her judgment, you know, trusting other producers judgments and what they believe in. And I don't have all the answers sometimes, but I can walk in the room and if it's football related, I probably can answer more questions than anybody. It's not that we're all time. When you know, you stepping in a different arena. You know, that's their arena. They produce and they ep projects. And this is not the first rodeo, but for me, it was my first time. I was just really blessed to be the talent and this I felt like to be able to do the interviews and sit down with all these guys and you know, gain the understanding of their football life and their football journey, like I said, and so in talking to my wife's like, that's what we set out to do that, that's what the plan was. When y'all I pitched this to you in the car, would you do this? I was like, cool, Yeah, sound like a hell of a solid project. Let's do it. So when it was time to do it and make suggestions, and sometimes I just had to shut up and listen, and it turned out for the better.
Speaker 3: To follow out real quick.
Speaker 6: So in terms of creating it, because a lot of people don't even know the process of creating documentary all y'all self under it. And then the other part is it's coming out on Prime. Correct, it's coming out on Prime? Was I'm Prome? So you got to picture to two different you had to picture, Yeah, what's that process?
Speaker 3: I see? I didn't know a lot about that process. You know.
Speaker 5: All I knew was the money and being the talent. You know what I'm saying. You know, I learned it, and I learned so much in this Like I'm ready to move forward, but I can't take other people's con I got my own concepts of me and my team, my crew, and wife got her own concepts to what they about to go do. But now I know, like little stuff got to start out with a sizzle, put that together. Somebody got to funded. It's either gonna be you, somebody else or some partners. And and so I learned and a collective effort you can get to the end game. But a little quicker, you know, she was instrumental in the concept. I was able to put the money together and they was able to execute and get it sold. So teamwork. And I was like, I say, blessed to be the talent in it. I see so much good in it. Man, I just wanted wanting to always feel like damn man, Like if the league don't embrace us as black quarterbacks, man, we never get an opportunity to line up and say hut for the Tennessee Titans or the Philadelphia Eagles or the Baltimore Ravens. Man. The league has come so far bro from where it was. And maybe it was just stereotypes from the outside world. It might not even have been inside the NFL world. It's just so much pressure can accumulate from fans and people, and you hear about these guys get hate mail and all that. So if Doug Willims getting hate mail. Can you imagine what's coming to the facility, the organization. They've seen the same thing, and so pressure comes from all sides. But it takes somebody to stand up say you know what, man, screw that. I don't care, Doug gonna be my quarterback. You start in the super Bowl today, broken barrier. And I think when people do it, they don't even maybe they think about doing it. This might be the first black quarter when I got dropped a number one, first black quarterbacks.
Speaker 3: And I don't know.
Speaker 5: I don't necessarily think Damn Reeds was trying to break a barrier. I think he was doing what he thought was right, the right thing to do in his heart.
Speaker 3: Obviously he wanted to win.
Speaker 5: And you know Arthur Smith, who was the on at the time, did the same thing. They felt the same way. Y'all don't care what color he is. Y'all black, white and different. Yo, I need you come on. And that meant a lot, man. And when I was on a podium, they was like, Yo, you know you just made a history. I'm like, Yo, that's the last thing I'm thinking. But looking at it twenty five years later or even ten years later, it's like, man, Damn. That was a big moment because when because Cam went number one a couple of years later. But man, I always referenced and as you're saying in The Doctor ninety nine draft Man, when Donovan and Kelly Smith, Dante, Cole Pepper, Sean King, when all them boys went, I was like, yo, I got a shot. I'm not playing quarterback for no reason. For a lot of years, I felt like I was playing quarterback just to get put in another position.
Speaker 3: When did you feel confident that you now, this is it, this is my position.
Speaker 5: Like I say, ninety nine, I was at Virginia Tech, and it was rough at Virginia Tech in the beginning because I had a tough time picking up offense.
Speaker 3: Like I said, I didn't.
Speaker 5: I wasn't fortunate enough to go to camps and learn from quarterback coaches early like these kids can do now. So when I got there, I was raw. I really didn't know how to like compartmentalize the offense, and you know how to learn it, what it takes to learn it.
Speaker 3: It took about four months for me to learn the offense.
Speaker 5: But when I finally got it, I was able to pair that up with the athleticism and then that's when I became a dynamic player. But it all starts with your mental You got to know what you're doing first, and then that the physical talent come out. It was a rough ride. It was a tough journey man. Like I said, weighed a lot on my mental health, Like do I play quarterback? Do I switch it? I'm running out of time over here. I'm being read shirt freshman next year, true freshman. And one day, Man, I was just watching the film. Coach told me, every day, keep coming to the film room, keep coming, just make sure you keep don't stop believing in yourself and coming and watching this film and trying to get better. And one day I was just looking at the film, bro and the whole football world just came together for me.
Speaker 4: Before we wrap, just a few football questions, Pat Mahomes, Yeah, is he.
Speaker 3: Some have said that he's the greatest quarterback of all time? If not number two?
Speaker 5: It's the contrary one greatest quarterback.
Speaker 3: Who's the greatest quarterback? Tom Brady? Okay? And is he is he on pace to be the greatest quarterback of all going pace? He's Patrick? Is Is he number two? Number two? Right now? He's number two? As a forty nine guy. You're gonnaut him in front of Montana. Yes, he just did you. I mean, I just want to read how.
Speaker 5: Iterated Montanna had four rings, but Montanna won't Patrick, Montana had Rice. Yeah, Patrick had Tyreek Hill for a couple of years, got the greatest tight end of all time. I mean nothing Kelsey, my boy, not taking nothing away from Kelsey, but Kelsey is a tight end, you know what I'm saying, which makes it even more prolific for him because to be the greatest tight and one of the greatest tight ends because I put him up there with Tony Gonzalez was a great tight end and it was you know, grounk. You know what I'm saying. It's about five of them that they can all be number one for sure.
Speaker 3: Nothing another has done with Kelsey's done now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but he also has terrible well he has not have good receivers my home.
Speaker 5: Put the Hall of Fame. But I'm talking abou Tyreek for a couple of years. Yeah, but he's all yeah, yeah, all in all man, because he ain't about the tight end. Kelsey is great. They all great. But when you're talking about quarterback play, Patrick could do a little bit more than Joe. Yes, you know what I'm saying, move like this. The game last night is crazy, you know what I'm saying. That was crazy, and so he can move just enough, joke and move to man. Look, I do see Patrick getting two more.
Speaker 3: At least I see it.
Speaker 6: This is a football I got two more football questions because you brought up ninety nine. Was there ever a time when you were on the field and you looked on the opposing side or even on your side and said, there's a better athlete on the field than me. Because when I'm of the ninety nine and we ran into him recently, Peter Warick was on that field. Yeah, and to me, one of the their list players I've ever seen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, playing against Florida State that year, it's like.
Speaker 5: It's like one of the games that you know, like, yo, we're probably gonna lose this game. I just got to play my heart out and I got to give it everything I got from start to finish because he's gonna make some plays.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: It's just saying, you know, you can't stop him. You can only hope to contain him. There was that type of deal going into the game. They had so many amazing athletes, Like I think they had like four first rounders on that team, probably like fifteen guys who got drafted from that one team alone.
Speaker 3: And they was just real fast.
Speaker 5: It was in the era where you know, the great Bobby Batoin was probably at the height of his recruiting you know what I'm saying, tenure, and he was getting the best of the best athletes, you know what I'm saying. And so I felt it me being as fast and as elusive as I was, and being on turf, they just kind of outmatched this a little bit in certain areas. Uh. And why I do think we had the team to beat him, we had two more quarters, we might have walked them down.
Speaker 3: Was just he caught a bomb in the third quarter and we just knew it. Damn. So got loose on this, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Well, the black quarterback also has transitioned in college as well, n il deals. Yeah, man, And we can't we got to talk about Shandor Sanders Colorado.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no doubt, baby boy.
Speaker 4: So I mean he got a lamb truck in college, right and get millions of dollars. So how good do you think he can be and what how do you think, like, what would you have done?
Speaker 3: As far as the NIL deal has changed this.
Speaker 4: It's even the reason why savan quit, we said, because like he didn't want to compete with that. As far as raising five million dollars year, it was just it was just it's a whole different retired to set the ball. How you feel about NIL and should do of the N I l I.
Speaker 5: Love that these guys got an opportunity to go make money for their name, image and likeness.
Speaker 3: You know. I think it's just that you know what I'm saying and clear. But for a guy like.
Speaker 5: Should Do, I got different perspectives. Chaudor pretty much been in the same offense for the last couple of years, so he didn't have to change coordinators when they came from Jackson State to Colorado. I think Pat Sherman now is a uh, you know, probably the same things he's doing. He's doing conceptually, it's not too far from what he learned. What scares me about the NIL is that you know, kids just going from different teams to a different team year after year after learn and learn these offenses.
Speaker 3: It's really hard to.
Speaker 5: Learn and so you get there and you got paid a million dollars in it. It's a guy that's that's been there for two years already and you you got to learn, but he already know more than you.
Speaker 3: HM.
Speaker 5: So if you're not exceptional, if you don't have Shador saying this talent and a bring like Shador, then he's probably that quarterback is probably gonna look better than you.
Speaker 3: You probably gonna struggle.
Speaker 5: DJ like good lady. I can't say his name. The quarterback in Florida State went to three different teams Clemson, Oregon State, in State, now Florida State or they might be on for I don't know if they lost.
Speaker 3: They won last week. Good, I'm happy.
Speaker 5: You know, you got to learn all these different concepts and man, you're just not comfortable.
Speaker 3: It takes time to get comfortable.
Speaker 5: You got to go out and practice it against the defense and learn from your mistakes. And you know what I'm saying, try to find ways to you know what I'm saying, move the chains and get better. And that's it's just not easy when you get learning. But I do support Nil Shador. You know, he he's worth every penny from what he got to go through on Saturdays. And you know, he got the team that's just getting better and these guys earning that money.
Speaker 3: Man, it's it's a lot, you know what I'm saying. But I think.
Speaker 5: You know, in due time, you know, I think a lot of that to be dispersed amongst the team. I think that's important. Hey, somebody got to do it.
Speaker 6: To door is number one, n Il number two, and I'm not sure if you watch him play last week Archie Man and ye, now we knew the pedigree is there from the throwing, but last two weeks ago he clocked in at twenty point seven miles per hour on the field.
Speaker 3: Who is that? Paying Man's nephew at Texas? Who's his father? His father is? This is Cooper?
Speaker 6: He didn't make it to the NFL. He had a spine injury that derailed him in college. Got me thinking, right, fastest athletes that's played at the position? Putting you, I'm putting Lamar and I have to kind of put him at He's running faster than Tyree Oh whoa you?
Speaker 3: Arch Manning? He ran twenty saying quarterback, quarterback, quarterback bo.
Speaker 6: What he clocked the faster time than Tyreek Killer was just a one sprint he's not a fast player.
Speaker 3: Well, if you ran a sprint of twenty point seven, let's think this through thing about this.
Speaker 6: Let's think because because Tyreek is catching it and running and I'm not saying that spring.
Speaker 3: He's not wearing one hundred mini dash. I'm saying open field, he ran twenty point seven. But that's one run. I don't care what it is. Bro, you're on the field, you want twenty point seven. That's faster than the fastest guy in the NFL.
Speaker 6: So I'm thinking, like, at your top speed fastest quarterbacks, you lamar, who else is running him?
Speaker 3: Not in this class? Gonna come to Willisie Wilson is in there. He's up there. League.
Speaker 5: Willis will definitely run a four four forty or he'll get out quick, really quick.
Speaker 3: RG three.
Speaker 5: That's my guy. Algie three was fast. Not too many more that's gonna move like that. Oh can't can't forget about cam speak. Yeah, I think more of him as power both it is Google it, Yeah, google cam highlights in Auburn, Google cam highlights, and and I watched early Carolina. Yeah yeah, he probably clocked you know, twenty plus a couple of times.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it's about five of us that it was in the four to four.
Speaker 6: Club you played in this era right now, pistol offense with the rules, any offense the rules catered to not hit the quarterback. What does Michael Vick look like in twenty twenty four as NFL?
Speaker 5: Well, I think you know that rule certainly fluctuates for a mobile quarterback. Well most of the guys mobile anyway. So let's just like I shouldn't even say that. Everybody just do a threat and can run now. So yeah, I just think in terms of performance, I'm gonna be up at the top of the league, just like I was when I was twenty four one. I got a great understanding of the game. I do think that coaching Matterson, that gotta be with the coach like Amy Reed or Matt Laflour or Sean McVay or Kyle Shanahan. You know, he looking at MVP, you know, type of numbers and performances. So yeah, I mean, I just can't end up these days with a coach that don't know how to use you. Prime example, the Carolina Panthers. I don't know anything about their coaching staff, but I know Brice Young shouldn't have looked the way he looked, And you know, all you gotta do is look around the league and see what's going on around the league to help your player be become a better player.
Speaker 3: It's not rocket science.
Speaker 5: I think it's all about, you know, sequence and having a flow of how to get a quarterback into a rhythm and feeling good about what he's seeing and what he got to go do and execute on each and every place. So, yeah, everybody can't be a coach in the National Football League, I don't think.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's kind of been the talk now is that the guys should be sitting behind the staring quarterback or the quarterback who's been there he was never supposed to. Yeah, Sandy Dalton won this week, so it looks crazy. But then there's as you thats Cam to ce J Stroud. Now the talk is Caleb Williams, maybe he's not ready to start playing.
Speaker 5: It's tough when you don't have And I won't say these guys don't have talent, but you don't have a coach.
Speaker 3: And I'm not taking anything away from these coaches. I'm just saying.
Speaker 5: There's no reason why they shouldn't be able to generate no offense when you can't generate no offense.
Speaker 3: I think that comes down to coaching.
Speaker 5: On our worst days in Philly, be A scored twenty eight points and that's when Andy was like, he wasn't even called in the place when I was there. Mardy morning Wig, who was a great coordinator, was called in the place. But Andy here input and we still average thirty points a game somewhere around that. So I just know what good coach it looked like. I know what Dan Reeves pouring to me. I know what Greg nap Jim more important to me. I had Bib Patrino Hcopy, I had Chip Kelly, and I had Andy, and so I've been around some of the best offensive minds, and so I know how you got to put a game play together in order to be successful on Sundays.
Speaker 3: Well, we can talk football day. But thank you for your time. Yes, amazing man. How can the people watch the documentary? Like, what's the all the information? You go to Amazon Prime and check it out.
Speaker 5: I'm pretty sure everybody out there got Amazon accounts, man, So don't get one man.
Speaker 3: Check it out on Amazon Prime.
Speaker 5: It's the evolution of the black quarterback celebration of how far we've come and the opportunities we've been giving and celebration for the NFL and for dual threat quarterbacks as a whole.
Speaker 3: So really good project, man, some very interesting stories, man, and this was done.
Speaker 5: So are you out there who said I loosenized the position? I appreciate that I did. But there was a couple that came before me to help me.
Speaker 4: So check it out before you need five, your top five black quarterbacks?
Speaker 3: Oh, in order for black quarterbacks all time, over time.
Speaker 5: Ever, let me rat lines down right now. Okay, I'm just so Donovan at five, no particular, no particular order, Okay, Doug, Okay, Oh.
Speaker 3: Man, it's Warren Marlon, Brisco Randall. This is your favorite because not having crazy Cam Russell. Yeah, Russell Lamar yourself, myself, Patrick, You're not in there. It's in the top ten. Bro. What's your fist? Mike?
Speaker 4: Pat Mahomes Randall Cunningham because that's the first person that I like. How he revolutionized to his father, he played a major part. I think that Warren Moon is underrated.
Speaker 3: That legend.
Speaker 4: Make sure y'all checked legend. And Russell Wilson I think is underrated too. I think it's it's unfortunate how his career is playing out now. But we can't act like he didn't almost win two super bowl He should have won. He should have two super Bowls under his belt. Well, he's the reason he didn't win the second one?
Speaker 3: Him? Was it?
Speaker 6: Pete Carroll him how and Whyshawn Lynz gave an interview and he said, if there's any other quarterback, he changed the.
Speaker 3: Play in the huddle. It don't matter what the coach head coach gives you. I don't care about new quarterbacks. You just named. Russell got a super Bowl. Yeah, Patrick got a super Bowl. Ye. Lamar got two m VP, no super Bowl. He's in my five. Yeah, Cam Gota went to a super Bowl. Cam's my five them dudes.
Speaker 6: Man, I got past east bro Pat, you, Lamar, Warren and Kim and I would put an asterisk Washington.
Speaker 3: So RG three Yeah, Now.
Speaker 5: RG three didn't play as long because he got He didn't have a lot.
Speaker 6: They shouldn't have if he he towards a c L, they kept him in the game. They should have be Seattle. Seattle went to the Super Bowl and one that yet, but they're at home. The grass is terrible in Washington.
Speaker 3: You know you played there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we all felt like he's like cringe and watching RG three, it's ridiculous, like slide think about or you know, it's always next year. I think he had proven a lot that year that he could play in the league. Yeah, it's gonna be a good quarterback for a long time.
Speaker 3: Because Andrew Luck was supposed to be a god. But that's just the mentality of us as quarterbacks. Man, when we all in, we all in, and he was all in.
Speaker 5: He was trying to he was trying to make history and so you know, shout out to RG and just him pushing to be be the best he could be in that moment.
Speaker 3: Mike Pleasure, my brother, appreciate you. Man. This is dope. Man. Make sure y'all watched the documentary. Please check it out.
Speaker 6: Hey, y'all got accounts. Y'all not watching Thursday night football if y'all don't got to count. So I know y'all got accounts, so you'll better watch it.
Speaker 3: A yeah, Fee an.
Speaker 1: Illegal alien from Guatemala charged with raping a child in Massachusetts. An MS thirteen gang member from Al Salvador accused of murdering a Texas man of Venezuelan charged with filming and selling child pornography in Michigan. These are just some of the heinous migrant criminals caught because of President Donald J. Trump's leadership. I'm Christine Noman, the United States Secretary of Homeland Security. Under President and Trump, attempted illegal border crossings are at the lowest levels ever recorded, and over one hundred thousand illegal aliens have been arrested. If you are here illegally, your next you will be fine nearly one thousand dollars a day, imprisoned and deported, you will never return. But if you register using our CBP home app and leave now, you could be allowed to return legally. Do what's right. Leave now. Under President Trump, America's laws, border and families.
Speaker 2: Will be protected. Sponsored by the United States Department of Homeland Security.