Speaker 1: Film Spotting is presented by Regal Unlimited, the all you can watch movie subscription pass that pays for itself in just two visits. See any standard two D movie anytime with no blackoutdates or restrictions. Sign up now on the Regal app or at the link in our description and use code film spot twenty six to receive fifteen percent off.
Speaker 2: What kind of a show you guys putting on here today?
Speaker 3: You're not interested in armed?
Speaker 2: Now? No, Look, we're going to do this thing. We're going to have a conversation.
Speaker 3: Welcome to film Spotting. It's an abbreviated film spotting, what we used to call a film spotting fix. Because I'm on vacation finally this summer, but we knew we had to get to our review of Christopher Nolan's The Odyssey, So ahead of vacation, we're doubling up this week, Josh and recording the Odyssey. I actually am coming pretty much straight from the theater. I've had about three hours to process, get some notes on paper.
Speaker 4: We'll see how I do.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 1: Somewhere in between an immediate still processing and you know, the deep days of reflection we like to give movies. Yeah, I don't envy you. This is a gargantuan one to digest with any sort of time, let alone a couple of hours. But that being said, I'm so eager to hear what you made of the Odyssey.
Speaker 4: Let's do it.
Speaker 2: Tell me what you remember, well, wife, a son, and then we want them more.
Speaker 1: Help me go ahead, Adam. I learned something new while preparing for Christopher Nolans The Odyssey. In Emily Wilson's introduction to her translation of the Homeric poem, she discusses the notion of a rhapsode.
Speaker 4: This is also.
Speaker 1: Translated as a song stitcher, and it refers to performers in an ancient oral tradition. Well before the Odyssey was set into text, rhapsodes would have spun versions of the tale for audiences, weaving in their own improvisational elements to the basic pattern of what we now know as the Odyssey. Nolan's the Odyssey opens with just such a figure, a man with a staff standing on a table in the royal dining hall of Penelope, where hungry suitors drool over her in the long absence of her husband Odysseus. This rhapsode rhythmically pounding his Staff on the Table tells the story of quote a man Odysseus himself, news of his victory at Troy has come home, but there has been no word of what happened to him, after which the rest of the movie will unspool. Adam, I would propose that Christopher Nolan is a modern rhapsode, taking existing tales and legends, Batman, anyone, and remolding them for new audiences to his own purposes. It's no wonder he was drawn to the potential of Homer's the Odyssey. Then he is also stylistically up to the task of fully bringing to life this monumental yarn, considering he issues digital imagery as much as possible, favors locations over sets, and has chosen entirely in the case of The Odyssey to capture images with widescreen Imax cameras. As Nolan pounded his staff on the table at him, were you wrapped by the telling as a song stitcher? What Nolan qualities did he weave into the tale? And lastly, what is the one Nolan film The Odyssey reminded you of the most?
Speaker 3: I was pretty rapped, I should say, not just any man pounding with the staff but Travis Scott is playing that man, and Emily Wilson was actually just in Iowa City, or well that was November, I should say, and I did not attend. I wish I had, especially now having just seen the Odyssey film spotting Pa. Sophie Kempanar was there in attendance and was greatly educated by it. I am remiss that I wasn't there for that talk. Obviously, I remember the broad strokes of the Odyssey, which seemed to be pretty much in place. But I want to provide this disclaimer off the top that the last time I read it, Josh was Humanity's one oh one, my sophomore year of college. I say that just so people know that I'm not going to be a reliable source when it comes to breaking down where Nolan is drawing ideas from Homer that already match his sensibility versus embellishing or manipulating to suit his needs. I suppose one might call that adapting. I am, though, going to suggest there's one crucial exception, and that modification will also lead me to answer your second question. This is such a Christopher Nolan film that my initial thought was to tell you that there is no single answer. Perhaps only the Odyssey could offer Nolan the canvas epic enough for all his obsessions. It seems like such an amalgamation to me, and we can get into that later. I'll tell you first that I didn't expect to be thinking about Oppenheimer as I watched The Odyssey, But I'll give you two quotes. First, the famous line Oppenheimer says, of course in the film, now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds. And then the closing conversation between Oppenheimer and Einstein, when Oppenheimer says, when I came to you with those calculations, we thought we might start a chain reaction that would destroy the entire world, and Einstein says, I remember it, what of it? And he says, I believe we did. There is a clear line connecting Oppenheimer and Odysseus as the men responsible for creating the weapons and leading the initiatives to destroy Troy slash Hiroshima. As Nolan portrays it, Troy Sacking takes on the significance of the atomic bomb dropping. Something inviolate has been breached. The moral order of the universe. Zeus's Law as they call it here, has been upset and humanity may never recover. In both, we have heroes wrestling with the fallout of that breach and their choices. But it's that last part, Josh, that leads me to my real answer. And no, this isn't shameless promotion. I have Bilga Abiri and his appearance on our Nolan Movie Deathmatch podcast to thank for it, because at one point in the Odyssey, Charlie Sterren's Calypso says something do Odysseus that set off a bunch of bells in my head. I knew it was really familiar, and I don't have the exact quote, but she's explaining to him that he will have to return home and this is something he both wants to do and also doesn't want to do, and she both wants him to stay because she loves him and knows that he also needs to go, and she says to him that it will require a leap of faith. Bilga said a inception a movie, I might add that's effectively a film about a husband undertaking a long journey who has to overcome a myriad of obstacles, including time dilation, to try to reunite with his wife and children. He said that it's all a movie about regret. These are Bilga's exact words during that podcast. He said, it's a film in which, on every level we learn something new about how regret works, and specifically about how regret works for this character of Cobb. And my theory of the hidden inception with Inception is that there is this line that's repeated several times at the different intervals in the film. It's some variation of do you want to take a leap of faith or become an old man filled with regret waiting to die alone. The Nolan movie The Odyssey is most like is Inception. Nolan's Odysseus didn't get blown off course. Here's the modification, unless you can prove me wrong because you've read it more recently than I have. Nolan's didn't get blown off course and was unable to return home for so long because he angered the gods or wanted to keep seeking glory or some combination and then got trapped by Calypso No, his subconscious invents reasons to take the longer path home and to commit acts that rile the gods up because he's filled with so much regret. He's so traumatized by the horrors that he unleashed, that being an old man filled with regret may seem like a better alternative than having to face the new world. Try trying to forget that that actually may be a better alternative than having to face this new world that he that he helped to usher in. And in closing, Josh, I'll say, I thought, maybe this trauma angle, it's not just regret. Maybe this trauma angle is the new spin, This this added new thing with with Nolan. We're getting here, and this is something he'll explore from here on out, because there's so many other aspects of Nolan's work that we're getting in this movie. And then I was just trying to look up a detail, and I went to my Interstellar reviews on Letterboxed, and in my twenty fourteen review, I wrote this, Nolan's protagonists have always been obsessed explorers of one form or another. Somehow, I don't think I realized until now just how much they're driven by loss, battling the universe's unbending laws forbidding the undoing of a past trauma or mistake. So maybe I should change my answer back to there is not just one Nolan movie. But if you pin me down, it's all a long winded way of saying I think it's inception.
Speaker 1: I think it's insuche What do I love that? I love that answer? It absolutely tracks. It fits in with what I expected going into the Odyssey was the homegoing whether it's it's the husband or the father, which is interstellar, right, it's the homegoing quality of the poem that he was maybe drawn to and going to emphasize. And of course that's still a part of it. That reading of Odysseus, I think is valid and I've seen it elsewhere. Also that there is some obfuscation on his part that delays the journey. I think that's fair. I think the trauma element to me is something that isn't maybe entirely new, but more emphasized by Nolan, Whereas me personally, I don't regard Odysseus as necessarily that self reflective of a character in the way we see Matt Damon's Odysseus. And I think that's fine. I mean, as I said in my setup, you know this is if there's any property that Nolan has the right to rework in his own way, it's one that's this old that originated in a tradition of reworking. So any sort of comparisons I might make to Homer's poem itself are not meant to be negative, but points of interest to consider where Nolan is. I think conception is a good answer. I think your larger point of how you see threads of every one of his films here is also fair. And this is a movie big enough, as you pointed out, to contain all of those I landed where you started, though, Adam, and it was Oppenheimer, And this again is not a quality that I thought about a film I had in my head, even though it's his most recent going into the Odyssey. But for me, this is Odysseus as Jay Robert Oppenheimer. This is the guy you described a wielder of warfare, and how they get there is obviously very different, the context is obviously very different. But to me, what Nolan is trying to do here is take this tale of a fabled warrior and mold it into something that's more about a moral awakening, an eye opening realization about the ruin of warfare. And to me, that totally tracks with Oppenheimer. Right to my mind, that's what that film was essentially about, among many other things, but that was what it was at its heart, and I think that's what this Odyssey is about. And the journey I took in how much this movie worked, because as a piece of cinema, oh boy, does it work.
Speaker 4: And we're going to get to that, I'm sure.
Speaker 1: But in terms of what Nolan is interested in doing with this tale, the journey I took was, boy, he's setting himself up for a real challenge here, wanting to make And this relates to another new film spotting podcast, the Movie Racket, with Michael Phillips, who had guest Michael Shannon on recently to conside of the maxim there's no such thing as an anti war movie, which a variation of you Know can be traced back to an interview Gen Cisco did with Truefou And I think what Nolan is trying to do here is take one of the proto warrior movies and use it to ask us to question how what we're willing to sacrifice, to question is their a justification for war? And man, I think is that tricky because at the same time he wants to ask us that question. This is a three hour movie of battles and pillaging and not on screen raping, but suggesting of rape plundering. And you're right, the sacking of Troy is the crucial sequence in this question. It's held off for much of the film that we get little snippets, as Nolan likes to do, he's jumping around in time. We get little snippets of it early, but the full sequence is meant to be Odysseus, the scales falling from his eyes. And I'm still somewhat wrestling though I admire what Nolan's attempting to do, and I think for this year in twenty twenty six, I think it's worth doing is asking these ques questions. But I'm still a little bit wrestling with how it fits when mapped onto Odysseus's story, which post sacking, post scales falling, post epiphany, there's a whole lot of bloodshed.
Speaker 4: Still, yes, I want to go there too, and we can.
Speaker 1: It's distinct, right, the actions and the reasons for taking those actions are somewhat distinct between Troy and the murder of the Suitors is the climax of the film. But it's just tricky to me if you're going to if I'm reading the intent of the movie, which is again to be similar to Oppenheimer, what have we done? What with the power we hold? Yes, especially in regard to the taking of lives, the organized, systematic, planned taking of lives, If you're going to make a movie that means to question that is a warrior king who still employs violence to ultimately rea store his kingship the tail to do it? Does Nolan thread that needle for me? He does, and it's largely due to the artistry he uses to do it, and also because I'm just grateful for a movie that's raising these sorts of questions in a year where we've seen organized, systematic, planned war mongering across the globe more so than in how many years. So I think this is a time for the question Nolan poses. I think he mostly manages to pull it off, even though he used really challenging material to do it.
Speaker 3: I think that's correct. He mostly pulls it off. But there is this tension, there is this conflict, and I felt an attention. I felt it as well, and I want to get to that by way of saying that this is the first time with any of his films that I have noticed the criticism that some have lobbed at his movies, including you, Josh, with some of his movies that sometimes they are overwritten and a little bit too talkie. This for me was the film where I was very aware of all of the exposition that was taking place. And now as we get into Odysseus specifically and the writing, the more I process the film and realized what I really thought it was about and what I thought the character arc was for Odysseus. It's on me to rewatch the film through that lens and see how all of this comes into play. But I do think there's some redundancy to all of the conversations happening about and between and with the suitors back home at Ithaca. I think there's some redundancy to some of the set pieces involving Odysseus and his men, and all of the battles, as brilliantly staged as they are. But his character arc everything I described in answer to your question, that arc is what I'm most invested in, and it does take forever in this movie to meet him, and I'm not sure that we do. To your point about how self reflective he is, I'm not sure that we on this first viewing, I'm not sure that we have enough of a sense of his trauma. I think the work that the cuts to those nonlinear the way we're moving around, the cuts to his conversations with Calypso the work I think that's supposed to be doing reflecting his misgivings about the things he's done in his past. I think that's obviously supposed to be doing that work. But on the whole, it seems like he's really only self reflective at the end, and that comes in what the form of a very long.
Speaker 4: Speech where he says it. He just lays all of it.
Speaker 3: He lays this theme all out on the table for the audience. But then that's the other point, Josh you said it is that if this is about a reckoning with the idea of regret and regret at the choices you made to usher in a new order to the world in which the old the old rules don't seem to apply, and you are you are traumatized, You aren't sure you can return to the home that you once had because you're not the same man that you once were, Then how do we reconcile the fact that he seems comfortable carrying out the vengeance that needs to be carried out on all of those suitors. If if he really is the the Odysseus that that he seems to be post this this epiphany, having gone through this entire process that he goes through over the course of this movie, then does he need to for the sake of consistency, does he need to come up with some other way to get through to get through these suitors, which of course he can't do because it's the Odyssey and you can't end it any other way, right, So it's completely at odds with the source. It's it's perfectly in keeping with the source material. It's that it's that adjustment that he makes really up until that ending.
Speaker 2: I think you're a man who needs to control his fate, but he cannot control this. That world is gone.
Speaker 3: Josh, I know you've seen them, but if any listeners out there haven't caught up with two movies that made my recent top five films of the year so far, you can see them at regal cinemas now and why not see them there on the big screen, Toy Story five and the horror hit Obsession. But the movie that I'm recommending this week is the one I am most eager to finally get out to see on the big screen. It was your number four I believe film of the year so far, the film that everybody's buzzing about. Saw the trailer for it actually just today before the Odyssey, and it's just still killing me that I haven't seen it. It is the Invite with Seth Rogan, Olivia Wilde, Penelope Cruz, and Edward Norton.
Speaker 4: I want to see it, and.
Speaker 3: I want to see it for free, something I can do with my Regal unlimited membership, the all you can watch movie subscription pass that pays for itself and just two visits. All you have to do is sign up using the code film Spot two six film Spot twenty six to get fifteen percent off. It's the only truly limitless movie subscription pass because you can see any standard two D movie anytime with no blackout dates or restrictions, and you save ten percent off on all non alcoholic concessions. All you have to do is sign up now in the Regal app or at the link in our podcast description, and again that code is film Spot twenty six.
Speaker 4: To get your disco.
Speaker 1: Real quickly, I'll just add that after that, and I won't give the details away. Nolan does and this differently than the poem ends and distinctly to address that. I feel also, and I think it works in the context of this movie. Again, I'm not criticizing. I think there's a choice made by Odysseus there that is closer to the main right, but agree, you're right the killing happens beforehand. I will also say, and the reason I think I'm saying, like, okay, it works is related to what you reference this notion of Zeus's law, which is, you know, I thought you were going to mention that when you talked about this movie being too talky, because I think Zeus's Law is invoked about once every twenty minutes.
Speaker 4: Okay, but this is praise for me.
Speaker 1: I'm going to get well, well, let me let me just quickly say in regard to the slaughter of the suitors that my sense is that is how the distinction the movie wants to make between Troy is that Odysseus's shame about Troy is that they used subterfuge in the Trojan Horse to sneak inside and take the city, and that is in his mind, a breaking of Zeus's law, which is in the movie. Is this strange combination of like the goal something that is in the poem hospitality and generosity and welcoming strangers into your palace, and and that's all in the poem and you root it, I'm sure in like in ancient actual tradition. The movie puts a spin on it. Penelope says something that it's like treating others how you want to be treated, which is jumping out ahead a little bit to pull from the Bible. But we've got we've got this Zeus's law that is held up as a governing principle, right, And now going back to the suitors and the slaughter that Odysseus takes, you know, engages in, they violate Zeus's law right by invading essentially his palace while he's gone disrespecting his wife and his son. And so I think in the world in the line this movie is trying to straddle, you could say, if not justification, that is why Odysseus, even though he was a quote unquote new man, still chose that path of vengeance. In that context, it's an out that I see, whether or not, you know, it's enough for most audiences. Is definitely out for debate.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not an out that that is satisfying for me, and without we've probably to some listeners it probably seems like we've we've spoiled too much, But it's the odyssey.
Speaker 4: I don't know how much we can spoil of this.
Speaker 3: Ancient I didn't give away the end the ultimately, but this coda, which I won't get into the details of, I will agree with you that it seems like there is a coda there that is Nolan's acknowledgment that we need something maybe a little bit more melancholy, that is our reconciliation of this tension that we're describing. At the same time, I will also tell you that I thought it felt abrupt, and I thought it felt to quote you from our last show, the Top five Films of twenty twenty six, I thought it felt unconn convincingly optimistic as well. Nothing about the writing there worked, and I thought it felt shoehorned in to actually send me. Unless I misinterpreted it, Josh, I felt like it it sent me out of the theater with a sense of hope for humanity that that the movie at that point really hadn't earned and I and and so that was another that was another tension point for me, certainly as I as I was leaving and thinking about the movie. But I want to say about Zeus's law. Yeah, and the Trojan Horse. This is this is an aspect I like because it fits, It fits into my read of the movie and it being fundamentally about his regret and his trauma and how he's processing that. First, I will say that I do I do give Nolan and his entire crew a lot of credit because the Trojan Horse incredible. It should not work on any level. This is this is magical realism. It should be anyway. It should be like Jonah in the Whale. This isn't something we actually believe happened in any universe. Did did this army get inside a wooden horse and it got dragged inside the gates? And yet maybe we have to suspend disbelief a little bit, as we always do with movies, but not that much. The way it's filmed, the practical nature of it, the the grittiness of it, and and also the the horror of it that that speaks to it. The way we understand that people are suffering. From Odysseus's point of view, it it does feel real in a way that you kind of can't believe they they pulled off, So that that's part of it. But then what I do like about whether whether it's said too many times or not, isn't really the point for me, But I love this idea that it's it's making that whole thing, this idea of you you have to treat strangers a certain way. It makes that concrete, tying it to the Trojan horse, which then helps explain why the fracture is so significant for Odysseus. What I'm saying, Josh is it's not just, of course, that he did something sneaky or sort of dishonorable. It's it's it's really I wouldn't even say that it was dishonorable, and I'm not suggesting that you are either, but I wouldn't use that term. It's that if you've been operating your entire life according to Zeus's law, you've been living according to a certain rule about how to treat people, and then you commit atrocities that scar you and change you so much that you're not sure you can even return home. And the trigger for that the trigger for those atrocities was you coming up with something, and that thing you came up with actually is rooted in the law that you've been living by previously. It's because it's a gift. It's because it's it's it's something that when you're welcomed in the door, right that the fact that the fact that what he did wasn't just horrifying, it's that he was able to do it by offering a gift, and so that whether or not that matters to the universe, to the gods, it's more that it's like personally scarring in a way that he may not even fully be able to process. It's on a subconscious level that that drove his entire life. And then and then he did something awful and the way he did it violated his previous principle. That to me, the way that Nolan, from a script standpoint, tied that together, I thought was brilliant.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's helpful to me because there's a gap in this movie in terms of the role of the gods and Odysseus's relationship to them that I think is one of the things, despite it being almost three hours, that the movie misses misses out on. But if it's more that Zeus's law represents a personal moral code for Odysseus in the way you describe that he violates, that does make sense to me. And we see in flashback flashbacks to his time before Troy, where he is very much depicted as a benevolent warrior king to his subjects. He cares about them, he's in conversation with them. So that tracks with what you're saying in that the actions he takes at Troy are in violation of that, because otherwise they're obviously he's talking to Calypso it's not that he doesn't believe in the gods, but he seems somewhat annoyed by them or disinterested in them. And the gods are somewhat set aside in this movie, even though we do meet a lot of them. Athena will get to the performances, but Zendeia as Athena is almost an afterthought, which I think is a mistake, both because you cast Sandea and Athena. You know is is a central figure in this tale. So at any rate, maybe we'll return to that in the discussing.
Speaker 3: Let me just say I think I think that he My read of it is is that he believes in the gods. Yeah, previously and then post Troy. He is someone who understands that the gods seem to still govern this, that that there they exist in the same capricious Yes, they're capricious, they exist, but he is willing to challenge them and is in fact constantly seeking to challenge them in a way he wasn't before. And that is driven by this trauma. It's driven by yeah, what previously, what previously occurred, and in fact what he did. And for me, Josh, it's not only that. It's not just that he's scarred and so he's behaving differently. I do think he's actually subconsciously looking for reasons to not go home, and that means challenging the gods, even if it means going way off course and potentially die in the presure.
Speaker 1: To your earlier point, I think he talks about this more than we actually see those encounters or those challenges, or sense the presence of the gods. But but we sense enough in this movie, because this is such a sensory movie. I love what you said about the Trojan Horse. It should not work on any level so much of this tale, Adam, should not work on any level. I think if you had made this primarily with CGI imagery, it may have quote unquote worked, but in the way that nothing digital often means anything works. You know, yes, it's there on the screen, but we don't believe it at all. I believed everything save maybe one shot that I won't maybe get into because I want to praise the filmmaking here. I believe everything else I see on the screen wholeheartedly, and I believe it with my whole body. I don't just believe it with my eyes. I believe it with my ears. Do this sound design and the score and yeah, even more techtilely than that, And that is what you're describing. The Trojan horse is absolutely one of those elements, just that it's introduced, that is, it is something we know we could be on that beach and touch ourselves and it's giant, right, And that works because when we see the horrifying shots of the men squeezed in the interior, we believe, I mean, here's where we're like in Dunkirk, we're in a sinking one of the sinking boats right again, and we believe that those men fit in there like that it helps the way Hoytman, Hoytma, he's working this cinematographer again, the way they just establish at once a mythical and a rooted in reality sensibility. So the deep blue of the seas here, and then they offer these red sails on Odysseus's ship to punctuate the blue. That just sets the stage where it's it's something. It's a boat, it's a historical boat, ancient boat that's familiar even to us. But there's something about the colors and the framing of it that makes it feel mythical. I think an opening title describes this as a time of apparent magic, right, And maybe they don't. Yeah, I love that. Maybe they don't push that for me enough with the gods, but they do in every frame, you feel the parent magic. I'm very eager to hear what your favorite sequence in terms of this quality. It should not work on any level you describe it. Maybe it is the Trojan Horse. For me it was actually Cyclops, which because it's the degree of difficulty. Adam, it's the same thing you were describing. We've heard about the Trojan Horse our whole lives. We've heard about Cyclops our whole lives. We've seen how many iterations of each How in the world are we going to be convinced of these things again? In twenty twenty six, I tried to find out how they did the Cyclops. I have a few details that I'll share, but still nothing that explained exactly how I fully believed this giant creature with a single eye is in the same frame with Matt Damon's Odysseus and his men. I know they filmed it in an actual cave, and that certainly helps. I know that Bill Irwin, who provided the voice, and I think some of the movements for the Robots and Interstellar, Bill Irwin is actually performing as Cyclops, So to me, that added this incredibly creepy. Again. I know there's a body there. I know it's not really that big, and you know, I know its face doesn't look like that. I almost don't want to describe what they do with Cyclops's face because it's a simple choice that maybe another iteration has done before, but I've never seen it like this, and it made it so ghoulish and like a different abomination than I'd seen before. But I think it's to me, it's a lot about Erwin's performance, the physicality of that and the managing of the scale, whether it's you know, camera fakery, positions, however they did it. I just thought that was to me as like, oh my gosh, like he's actually figured out a way to do this. And I think it's those sorts of that sort of artistry that makes this movie just feel like one it's a world you've never seen, that's never existed to your point.
Speaker 4: Yet it's there, but it's there, so how it's there?
Speaker 1: And Yeah, that's like the incredible achievement of the Odyssey for me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just like with the Trojan Horse, there's a tactility to it. And I do mean the hand of the Cyclops. You feel in the theater like there is no doubt that hand is going to reach down and potentially grab Odysseus. The way that hand is dangling and he's trying to get underneath it, you and the theater almost want at least I almost wanted to duck myself. It was that it was that scary and it felt that real. I also think the way you described why that sequence is so effective, I think on a much smaller scale, I think it all applies to the Circe sequence with Samantha Morton to and the fleshy exactly transforming the men into pigs. And that will allow me to transition back to when I said, there are so many Nolan themes here that it feels like like this amalgamation. Of course, how many of Nolan's movies are about deception, characters who lie to others and most importantly themselves. I've already articulated Odysseus's self deception or tried to, and his self awareness being the primary character arc. But look at all the other characters. Of course, all of Pattinson's Actinus right is just duplicity personified. But Penelope and Hathaway, that little touch of her undoing her work each night. I love Calypso playing her part in keeping Odysseus there with her miagoths made we learn about. Of course, Samantha Morton searcy Is is also doing some shady business. Agamemnon's justification. I want to talk about Agamemnon too, Agamemnon's justification for war with Troy Clytemnestra's betrayal, and then with with the the Elliott Page character Simon right, the the way that is described. That that sequence, which I think is really effective in Hades, reminded me Josh of a lot of the conversations we get in the Batman trilogy, where the conversation revolves around this idea of needing to believe that that you have to actually with your whole heart believe in something. Yeah, and and and it and it will only work whatever it is. And it's very different in this film from the Batman films, but it will only work if you if you buy into whatever the myth is. Of course, time we've talked about nonlinear, the nonlinear approach and the flashbacks here, but of course the Greeks losing ten years away from their families on the on the beach before they even have the battle, and then the seven years with with Calypso and not having really any sense of how much time he's really losing. But those are those are the very very obvious ones. I want to throw this one at you. It's it's not something. It may be there now I want to retrofit and we need another overview, and I'm sure we can find it in all of his movies, but it's not something I would have connected until we saw Tenet, and you think about the John David Washington character and how he's not given a proper name, you know, how he's only referred to including in.
Speaker 4: The credits as the protagonist.
Speaker 3: Yep Odysseus is the first major Greek literary hero. And is there any character in any story book or movie where you feel like the entire world revolves around them more than Odysseus, And certainly the way Nolan frames this movie, it seems that way they lead. He leads everything, he communicates with the gods, he seems to determine. He seems to, through his own will, determine his own fate. And I think that's really the key point is is Nolan is very interested in this idea of this meta aspect of being the protagonist. Are you able to write your own narrative, this idea of free will versus fate? Have the gods determined the path that you're going to take? Has your story already been written? Or can you determ and Odysseus is hubris on screen certainly is that he always believes that he's in control, that he's he's writing his story and it does not matter what what else is occurring around him, and that that that made me think of Tenant certainly as I watched this film.
Speaker 1: Tenant is. I mean, we've both said we need to rewatch Tenant, but that is the one coming out of the Odyssey. I really want to take a look at and connect some of those threads because it's a puzzling film purposely in so many ways disappointing for both of us. But I do think, you know, the more films we get from him since may help unlock that one more And of course the second viewing would just do the same. So saying all that about Odysseus, what do you think of Damon?
Speaker 2: No one could stand between me and home.
Speaker 3: And even in the God I have always been happy with Damon performances. I think it's a very good Damon performance. It's not one of the performances Josh that I that I had notes about.
Speaker 4: Let's put it that way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there are there are supporting performances that stood out for their for their strengths. There are supporting performances that stood out for weaknesses. I do think Damon does exactly what he has to do. I think he anchors this film, and I think he anchors it very well. I think that's probably a very boring take. He's a very good actor, and he's very good in this role of Odysseus. Do you have a better take than I do?
Speaker 1: I mean, I think anchors the right word. There's you know, at this stage in his life and his career, he has let's say, a grizzled stoutness that fits for this part. I think Damon Damon is interesting to me because he can have and often does, this unforced integrity to him, and I think that's the quality. Not that Nolan only wants Odysseus to be that, but I think he wants that to be who this man is at heart and has, despite that, made terrible decisions. Right. What's interesting about Damon and surprised me about the performance is that the Odysseus of the poem is you mentioned his self deception. He's much more of a conniving deceiver, you know, troublemaker beyond how he's deceiving himself. And again I'm not pointing that out to say that that's exactly who Nolan's Odysseus had to be. What's interesting to me is my favorite Damien performances that departed the informant are when, like Leonardo DiCaprio, he embraces it inner weasel and just knowing that in literary tradition there's a weasel, weaselliness to Odysseus, I feel like that's been extinguished from him largely here, even though there is that self introspection you've mentioned, there's definitely that, and so it's just a trade off where for me it doesn't. You know, I've already seen some early heralding about Damon's career performance, and I just think he's done more interesting work. Even though he's very good as the Odysseus, this movie wants him to be the two I think the two parts that I really enjoyed the most and one surprised me, But I did not this one. You know, Anne Hathaway, I think is is quite good and most things she does and I do, I did appreciate the ferocity she brings to this Penelope how she you know, she lets Tom Hollands, you know, her son, have it a couple of times and reams him out. She brings a passionate ferocity to the flashback scenes with Odysseus, which I think help provide that foundation for their relationship. I thought she was quite good, and I got to say, I don't think it was until his third scene I realized that was John as Umaeus, Odysseus's loyal servant. And you know, he's got white hair here and one of his eyes is cloudy. He's plating older than in his age. And finally I was like, you know what, Actually, I'm gonna I'm not I'm gonna stop there because for our family members film spoting family members, we were about to record a bonus show for July our favorite performances of twenty twenty six so far, and spoiler, Leguizamo's on my list. I will talk more about him there, But those were two standouts for me. Actually, Hathaway on Leguizamo.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, let's keep it there because I'm I'm definitely with you.
Speaker 4: I do always appreciate Hathaway as well. She does.
Speaker 3: She leans into some of those scenes. There's no doubt about it when she is taking it works when she's taking Tom Holland to task. And I think it worked because I can accept this Penelope at her wits end at this point, and also being a a queen who feels very much like she is a ruler and can be the ruler, and she she has a line at one point where she acknowledges that that she only can't lead because of whatever laws dictate that she needs a king. Of course, Agamemnon. I want to say this before I talk about performances that are not going to make the Bogus Show for favorite performances of the year. The way van Heutema and Nolan decide to shoot Agamemnon, never showing him that armor, that dark armor, The way he looks so gigantic, that that air of mystery about him that makes him seen like a ruler like that needs to especially when he is because of his whims all of this is occurring. He needs to seem divine.
Speaker 1: But he also essentially commanded Odysseus for those that's familiar with the poem to go on this camp that's right, yeah.
Speaker 3: But he also needs it, almost needs to feel Josh like the armor is a bit too much, like that he's too regal, because it's it's over compensating for the fact that, of course he's just a mortal man, and and not only that he's he may not even be that much of a man, and That's why I like, I'm not even gonna reveal who the actor is because I had to look it up later. You you don't know, I won't reveal it. I like though when we finally get a glimpse of his face, I certainly didn't recognize who the actor was just from we don't really glimpse his face is just through the helmet. It's not until later that we see any part of his face and hear his voice. But you can tell that there is a there is a certain boyishness about him that comes through. That's in contrast to someone like Damon's Odysseus in this film, and it is in contrast to this armor and the way he presents himself. And every time he walked on screen, I was in awe of him, the way you understood that every one of those men needed to be in awe of him. And it's also these are flashbacks from Odysseus's point of view, right, so it makes sense that he would see him that way. And also when Agamemnon's telling stories, you can understand perhaps I'd have to go back and watch them to see if this is totally consistent, but that we would get these shots where everything he's seeing, we don't see his face because it's what he's seeing coming at him.
Speaker 1: So his presence is incredible and again very tactile. The costuming. They way overshot that dynamic you're describing because when that actor is revealed and this is in Haiti, So this is you know, a sequence where Agamemnon and his men they're dead and they're in Haites. Incredible production design. These soldiers emerge from the black soil and again everything is that you can you could pick that soil up and let it run through your own hands, you know it. And then we get this squeaky weenie Agamemnon and it's so good. They overshot it way too far. You need a hint, a hint of the gravity.
Speaker 3: It's funny, hint is what I felt, Josh, I gotta be Oh gosh.
Speaker 1: No, it was maybe the worst moment because it took me so out of the scene as like, who who is this person? And I understood intellectually what they were trying to do. He's been he's been ultimately humiliated. I just felt like they overshot how to depict that in okay or maybe the performance diad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well so incredible actress, but Lupita Neango as as Helen and then also her twin sister in Flashbacks, Clyde Minestra, is just lost here among totally the throng of characters and does not get to do any real acting work, which is sad. Similarly, you already said it. Zendael is just back to being what she is in the Dune movies, which is and I don't appreciate her performances there, which is worse than that. It is worse than that, But it's it's similar, which is an oracle presence who who mostly not even mostly, who just all the time scrunches up her face and looks on disapprovingly.
Speaker 4: There.
Speaker 3: There is no performance going on there. She is so much better in a film like the Drama, where she actually gets to be a person.
Speaker 4: I understand that she's.
Speaker 3: A god here, but I still need something more substantial to hold on to than that scrunched up face looking on disapprovingly. It just it it, it's it's a waste of her talents.
Speaker 1: I'm an ad a third. I'm ann add a third, and then I have a let's say the name three two to one Robert Pattinson.
Speaker 3: No, Tom Holland, Okay, mister ZENDEYA, Okay, go ahead, you go first. I mean, I'm never going to besmirch Robert Pattinson, even if this is very much a variation on a lot of on a lot of weasels he he seems to have played recently. But I still saw shades in him that I felt like I haven't seen in some of those other weasels. I'm I I hate to say this because it sounds I just fear that it may come off like I've got some issue with him as an actor. And I can see the talent in him. He's obviously so clearly a talented performer, but I'm not. And I've seen other movies. I've given him a chance. I'm just not sold on Holland in anything other than Spider Man. And and I think his stature here and his sensitivity, his innate sensitivity, should work more or less for Telemachus, someone who's striving so hard and and failing really to lead and to be his his father. And he and Damon do have a nice moment together, but but overall, I do think he's he is too sensitive, he's emoting too hard, and when he's he's in a scene with a with a force like John burnhal he he shrinks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's fair for me. Two things. I actually have only seen him as Spider Man, so I have no other context where you know, I think we both have said he's pretty much perfect for that part. And I think it's a close enough part to hear that he's supposed to shrink. It's kind of the whole, you know, point of this character, until you know, we get to the end. I don't think he stands out. I understand that sort of eager boyishness is why he was cast, and from what I've seen of him, he can do that quite well. Pattinson, I'm not saying he's bad. I think you're right. You know, he's done more interesting variations on this. I think there's a repetition to his scenes that are bad every time. The redundancy. Yeah, but that scene he's doing the same thing, especially in the Slaughter of the Suitors, where it almost became comical, where a series of weapons are provided to the suitors and every time we have to cut to him and he has to yell, get the black get it. At one point I was like don't cut it the first two times, don't don't say it, and we do so. But here's my question. Think, in the case of Pattinson, Nyango and Zendeya, is there such a thing as overcasting, because I think our issues. In other words, if it was an unknown in each of those parts who had delivered something slightly differently, might we be sitting here saying, you know who, I can't wait to see more of so and so as Athena And now, obviously the writing is a part of this too, what is being provided. But I do think in this case it almost it's not going to work against you. You're going to get so many more people to see this movie because Zendea isn't it right. They may be quite angry that she's not in it more and there may be a backlash. So obviously I get the strategic reasons for casting them, beyond the fact that I have the talent, But I almost feel like, if the part is this small in terms of the movie as a whole, do you think you could be doing yourself a disservice by bringing in a talent like that.
Speaker 3: It's an interesting thought, because you're right, the cast is is so filled out with these faces and and maybe part part of the fun would would be discovering new faces and then wanting to to see more of them like Heimish Patel right.
Speaker 4: Or Coreog that's and they're good and really seeing.
Speaker 3: Them in other in other movies, but we're not so familiar with them and when they pop up on screen, we go, oh, I really like those performers, and they're really good in their parts. Sadly, Charlie's Theron is another woman we can say who does not does not get enough to do, and who seems to simply through her presence. Her presence has to just carry the weight of her character Calypso, but only there and it didn't have to be that way right now. The the one exception in terms of the cast members. I really did like that Circe sequence a lot, and I think I think Morton, I think Morton gets to she gets to dig into something in that scene that works.
Speaker 1: She really does. It's it's almost its own short film within the entire movie. It is she takes command of and yeah, and is an instance that contradicts what I said earlier about the gods not getting a lot of attention. Well, you could point to that and say, well, they gave Circe, you know, her own short film, so you do you do get that in that sequence for sure?
Speaker 4: Any closing thoughts, Josh, or did we do the see justice?
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, I mentioned this score in passing Ludwig Gornson. The one thing if when I see it again, I want to pay more attention to this. It seemed to me, and this speaks to the short film quality I was talking about. There probably is a recurring motif throughout, but it almost seemed to me that each section he came up with something new so that we got a score for like this twenty minutes or something. And it was also at once both Again, if I was more of a musician, I could point to some instrumentation or something, but different somehow it seemed to be using sounds or instruments that we associate with being ancient, but also modern techniques or rhythms.
Speaker 4: That's well said.
Speaker 1: There's a combination of eras to this that is obviously entirely appropriate, So I think that's worth highlighting. And yeah, I mean I think we've I think for a somewhat processing review for you, and it's only been a couple of days for me. I think we covered a lot of good stuff. It's probably one I will hope to see again at some point and see what more might be there. And maybe I'll squeeze in a tenant revisit before that to help me out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that sounds ambitious. I'd like to join you. I definitely would like to see the Odyssey again. If you've seen the audio see once or twice, we would love to hear your thoughts about it. You can email us feedback at film spotting dot net.
Speaker 2: This conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Good Bye,