Speaker 1: To on the move, Going Deep, Speedless peas Doll. From the Baptist Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex.
Speaker 2: This is Drivetime with Travis Wingfield.
Speaker 3: He's got my hands in the playoffs. What is up?
Speaker 1: Dolphins? And welcome to the Draft Time Podcast. I am your host, Travis Wingfield. And on today's show, the preview series continues onto the perhaps funnest division in the NFL. The AFC North is up? Is it better than the AFC East? Is it the best in all of football? We'll discuss that and much more, plus where the Dolphins can learn from each of these teams. And I caught up with Dolphins undrafted rookie the edge the outside linebacker, Grayson Murphy. You do not want to miss that. I think he has a great chance to make this football team. From the Baptist Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex. This is the Drivetime Podcast. Couple of items off the top here. First, you can probably tell my voice, I am not feeling well at all.
Speaker 2: It's been a long, long week.
Speaker 1: The You know how when you have kids, you basically just sometimes you get sick for like a full month and then you kind of build up a immunity for the next six months or so, I then do it all over again. We are in that in the month of June, and so I am struggling big time. Another thing was, I saw a new review came in on Apple and somebody, and rightly so was dogging the sound quality. And I'm guessing you're going back to the Blake Ferguson Jake Bailey and Jason Sanders podcast, which I know was terrible. I felt terrible putting it out there. I had no other options to clean that audio up. We do have Adobe Premiere which I run the audio through, and it doesn't sound great to try to fix that, but when you have guys that don't talk to the microphones, when you have a recording device that wasn't accurately working that day, like it was just a rough day and we recorded like twenty interviews that day, So my apologies for that. I think otherwise the sound quality mostly pretty good on the show. It is just me that does this, so it comes back to me, So I apologize for that. Let's go ahead and get into the AFC North here. One of the funner divisions to really dive into here, because every team has intrigued to me, even though there's one team that I think is a far cry from the other three. At this point, we kick it off in order of how it finished last year with the twenty twenty three Ravens, who finished thirteen and four first in the division. They lost the conference championship seventeen to ten. And you guys, listen to these podcasts. No, I'm making these, you know, relatable back to the Miami Dolphins. The reason I include the score there is because I think it can be instructive. It is so hard to reach the mountaintop in this sport more than any other, because why single elimination. I mean, the Panthers just lost three games in a row and they are still Stanley Cup champions, which, by the way, vlmas Scott, it was very cool to see that you run into one bad matchup one day where you don't have your a stuff and it is saya nara, we'll see you later for the for the next season, really foray next year, especially when a young, already legendary quarterback stands between you and the big game. And quite frankly, that's been the AFC in my entire existence. I grew up in the I was born in the eighties, grew up in the nineties, and really became a diehard football fan in the early two thousands. And that's when freaking Tom Brady arrived and Ben Roethlisberger and Peyton Manning and now it's Patrick Mahomes. It's just always been that way in the AFC. And I say this because look at the juggernaut that was the Ravens last year. I mean, I remember doing this episode one year ago talking about how this team is undeniably the best in the AFC, despite the fact that the Chiefs have Mahons, and all of a sudden they meet this brick wall, and this narrative doesn't just return, it grows. And actually, after I wrote this segment down, I saw that no quarterback in league history has a greater disparity in regular season winning percentage versus their postseason winning percentage. Then, Lamar Jackson, I've been thinking about this a lot and just paired up with this write up. I know I'm in the vast minority here, but it works in basketball, baseball not so much, but football and basketball in particular, I just don't think we should hold players or teams to the standard of championships. I lost a lot of you right there already, but here let me explain that to you. I reject the idea that only one team can have a good year in a given year, that a player can be diminished because he didn't reach the ultimate team accomplishment. I think the best passer in the league, or the best pass in the league he's ever seen Dan Reno went seventeen seasons and never hoisted a Lombardi Trophy. I think Lamar Jackson will be unfairly hit with this label again this year, or at the very least, it'll be a narrative once we get past Christmas, right, And I think the reason that it really irritates me the way it does is because what's what is Lamar Jackson? Twenty eight years old? I'm gonna pull it up live on the spot here, would I'm okay with the idea of holding out he yeah, he's just turned twenty seven in January. I'm okay with the the idea of once the career has wrapped, being like, damn, he didn't hit the mountaintop. It's kind of what happened to Marino, right, And it's still a story to this day. Or trying to see a freaking tweet. But who's the greatest athlete who never won a championship? Dan Marino is all over that stuff. But he's twenty seven years old, and all it takes is one time for that all to go away. I just think it's too hyperbolock. I think it's two in the moment, because this was a team who earned the one seed in the tougher of the two conferences. By this is how their season ended. They beat the Rams, which that was one of the games of the year. They blew out a Jaguars team who was at that point like eight and four. They dismantled the Niners on Christmas, which was the Niners were rolling at that point, and they obliterated us, who, if we had won that game, were the one seed in the AFC playoffs. That's three playoff teams, two that were either within striking distance or holding the top one seed in their conference at the time, a juggernaut, and then they get bounced. I think you should strive to be what the Ravens have been and give yourself a crack. Just about every single year except those two years they didn't have their quarterback and they went out in the wild card round and didn't get into the playoffs the other season. I think that provides stability, and stability gives you an edge within a game of inches. Win most of your games, and we'll figure it out when we get there. That's sort of the Macro way I view this sport and league, and few teams have embodied that better than the Baltimore Ravens five double digit win seasons of the last six, and Miami, frankly is just a notch below that with four straight winning seasons. However, to continue it, the Ravens are gonna have to deal with more turnover than they've had in quite some time here. But I also like some of the moves they'd made to bring guys in like Derrick Henry, who is probably the most at pro pro at at PAPRO. How do you say that app Po pro Apple pro? Derreck Henry is just he's in Baltimore, even through and through the way he looks, the way he plays, he just looks like he belongs in that organization.
Speaker 2: I like the Josh Jones addition.
Speaker 1: Deontay Hardy tore hearts out of our chest last January in the Week eighteen game he joins the Ravens now Kadar Hallman, and then their first round pick was Nate Wiggins. But look at the outgoing list here, Patrick Queen, Kevin Zeitdler, Devin do Orne, Odale Beckham, Junior, JK. Dobbins, Gus Edwards, Ronald Darby, Rocky sin Morgan, Moses Tyas spous Or, Tyler Huntley, mac Mike McDonald, and Anthony Weaver.
Speaker 2: Holy Molly.
Speaker 1: It's major coaches, a defensive coordinator, major parts of that defense, and just overall personnel that they relied upon for a lot of big wins and big production over the last couple of years.
Speaker 2: What do they do well well?
Speaker 1: The run game has always worked, and it's because of Lamar Jackson. I think what you see when you had like glimpses of JK. Dobbins, you know, flashing elite back ability which he always has had you just can't stay healthy. Then you see like, oh, this is a revolutionary run game. It goes to one of the more dangerous weapons in the league. When you basically only ever get that exclusively from the passing game, right, Like you don't get dangerous explosive run games.
Speaker 2: In twenty twenty four.
Speaker 1: But the Ravens can do that, and they're pretty unlimited with their complminary speed to run, trap power, quarterback Lee all the jet sweep inside zone, outside zone stuff from today's game, and now they get this power element with Derrick Henry, and I just think we could see a zig of an offense to the rest of the league zag and if Henry has any juice left, and I think he does, this is going to be a team that I think gives every single opponent fits because of their play style. My first thought was, I will say they have to do that because of the big wide receiver investments they made last offseason not paying off, and now it's over because Beckham is gone. We're still kind of waiting on Rashad Batemanseya Flowers looks like an absolute stud. But then I go back to them getting Mark Andrews back, who missed most of that stretch run we just talked about where they steamrolled some of the best teams in league. They also been to the Detroit Lions too, by the way, earlier in the year.
Speaker 2: They also have a.
Speaker 1: Budding star in Isaiah Likely, who I don't know how the hell he made it to the fourth round of the draft that year. He was so obvious he was a great player. And I just say, stay in twelve personnel, run an offense. I don't think anybody in the NFL with these undersized linebackers is equipped to stop defensively. I don't think he'll get wholesale changes as they promote from within, simplifying terminology, staying positionless, being deep in your subgroupings, utilizing one of the strongest defensive interiors with Justin Matdabweke Rokwan Smith and Kyle Hamilton down the middle to out physical teams and make you play on their terms. What's the concern or fatal flaw here if the defense takes a moment to come together. They have KC, Dallas, Buffalo, and Cincinnati on the schedule over the first five weeks, and a slow start in that division might bury you. Then you have to go on the road in the playoffs, and who knows from there a wide receiver depth. As much as I raved about their ability to win, differently, to me, it's kinda Zey Flowers and then nobody else like I don't. I'm not a big believer in Bateman's skill set. We saw what happened to them in the playoffs when they got outplayed at the line of scrimmage by the Chiefs. The goal is to win the Super Bowl for them, right, Like, I know, I just talked about how that shouldn't be how we judge teams, and I think the Ravens are one of the best teams in the NFL because they haven't gotten to the mountaintop. That's going to be their narrative. But that's also the next step for them, Like it's not gonna be, you know, considered a huge success every year if you don't eventually get there. So that's kind of where you need to be, you know, focused towards beating the Chiefs, otherwise you can't get back to that game. And to do that, you know you're gonna need more than ten points. You're not gonna beat that team just ten points. So yeah, Kansas City is a problem, right, We've established that so far in the podcast. Some interesting things about them are the biggest storylines is fighting narratives of big games and postseason success. It's gonna come down to you know, it's it's gonna be there for them at the end of the year, just like it is for us, And I think that's interesting every single year replacing those big names on defense, their staff and their personnel. Is it gonna be as easy as plug and play there with you know, Zach or the defensive coordinator and losing a guy like Anthony Weaver and losing so many critical pieces on that defense. Will they revert back to more of a ball control, run game offense, because last year they kind of open things up a little bit and they were pretty good at it too. So whatever they want to do, they can probably do, even though they don't have much as much weapons on the perimeter this year as they did last year. Then special teams in kickoff change and the best kicker in the game and Justin Tucker plus John Harbaugh's special teams background. Just watch the Ravens win a game or two this year because of weird special teams stuff, and they won a game on a walk off punt return last year, So it's not even that far of a you know, alleged to go out on some final roster thoughts. The concerns to me, even though they talk about all the losses, are so slim because this is one of the game's deepest rosters, even with all those losses, they just keep developing, replacing, and it's all over Brandon Stevens game. It matures as soon as Marcus Peters exits, Kyle Hamilton arrives in three years, they say good bye Tony Jefferson, Chuck Clark and Gino Stone and they're better for it. Patrick McCarry makes Morgan Moses expendable. Likely is that when Andrews goes down, it's all over the roster with how they replace. What can they tell us with the Dolphins, I'm talking so fast, I can't brie you guys.
Speaker 2: I'm so sorry.
Speaker 1: We already did that. They're in the class. The Dolphins now find themselves in a regular playoff team who has to solve the puzzle of the best team in the NFL with the best quarterback we've seen, maybe ever, and they have to do it within a tough division features teams that can knock them off any single sunday they face them. They're going to play into massive games within massive games every single year, and you just hope you can stream them together at some point and slay the giant that is the Mahomes led Chiefs. They can tend with Cincy the way the weekn ten with Buffalo, and these teams are all in the same conference at a tough road every single year.
Speaker 2: The AFC is tough.
Speaker 1: Let's go ahead and move down to the Cleveland Browns eleven and six last year, second in the division, a wild card round loss of the Houston Texans and who had Joe Flacco coming out of retirement to leave to lead the Cleveland Browns to the playoffs on their bingo card.
Speaker 2: What a crazy league.
Speaker 1: Every year, not something like this, but something similar to this happens where a team comes out of left field. Whether it's a team that was supposed to be good or a team that loses their quarterback and you takes the Nick Foles to the super Bowl. It happens every single year. And there's no denying how great Joe Flacco was down the stretch, truly, but make no mistake about it, this team was driven by a stellar defense, particularly prior to Flacco's arrival, when they were rescuing weekly poor quarterback performance play by the original starter who has been straight booty cheeks since he got there, and all the backups replacing him throughout an injury plagued season. After double digit defeats of the Broncos and Rams, and back to back weeks, the Browns won four straight to put themselves in position to rest their starters. In Week eighteen, they couldn't get a stop against the Texans in the wild Card round and have since gone back to work rounding out yet again one of the best rosters and defenses really in the National Football League.
Speaker 2: This off season is pretty good for these guys.
Speaker 1: They bring in Brian Allen to anchor the interior of the offensive line. Deontay Foreman a nice complimentary back there to Nick Chubb whenever he's healthy again. Not Nick Chub, Yes, Nick Job, Nahim Heinz, Jordan Hicks, Quinton Jefferson from the Jets, they just gave him away. Basically, Tyler Huntley a better backup quarterback there. Jamis Winston's there as well. That's a crazy dynamic in that quarterback room going out. Joe Flacco goes to the Colts, Harris and Briant to the Raiders. Anthony Walker comes here and Nick Harris goes to Seattle. Way more in than out there for these guys, What do they do well? I don't think anybody outside have probably spat disguise is better between zone and man looks with the ability to get pressure from either look of those from any front from you know, different groupings, and it's built around having one of the toughest assignments in the National Football League and Miles Garrett and Schwartz has always had that in his defense. Going back to in Dominicansu with the Lions, they id, they bump, they feel space, They communicate as well as anybody. Denzel Ward is fantastic, Martin Emerson is very good, Greg Newsom, Grant Delpitt, Rodney McLeod wan Thornhill. They're just one of the deeper secondaries in the National Football League and their second level is led by one of the best cover linebackers in Jeremiah Owusu Corromoa. I'm curious to see does Nick Chubb return, because I thought that his balance, albeit Stefanski finding out, you know, finding other productive backs in his place, that Chubb was the elite piece really moving the needle for that offense. They're scoring outbursts where the results of mastery of play action game and attacking defenses on early downs with chunk plays sound familiar. Like Baltimore. They can do a lot with their personnel groupings with two tight ends, especially since one of them is one of the games premier players and David Nijoku, what's the concern or a fatal flaw, Like we are realistically one more bad year away from an all time awful move at the quarterback position, and quite frankly, are probably already there.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: I'd like that they signed two insurance policies and hunting and jamis on top of the continued development of Dorian Thompson Robinson, but I don't think it's gonna work out for him. But I mean, Deshaun Watson fully guaranteed contract been one of the worst quarterbacks and leaks he's he got there, so it's interesting to see how that plays out. It can tank the entire team. They did get destroyed last year by o line attrition by the end of the year, but that group is healthy heading into the season and I think it's probably just about it. Like this is a very deep and good roster. Some interesting things about them. There's still a bunch of guaranteed money on Watson's deal. What happens if year three is much like year one and year two, and then what happens if Joe Flacco winds up playing well or playing at all, and then playing well in Indianapolis. Indianapolis, Ken Dorsey also gets another crack and an oc job. Does he have the the stones to make this work? And then how many elite years can you get out of a defense?
Speaker 2: I asked that all the time.
Speaker 1: I just think it's not it's not replicatable across like four or five years. You can get two or three, but usually it kind of slows down. But you know, Jim Schwartz being there for another a second year just makes me think they can get even better this year. But how fast does that run out? Some final roster thoughts on them. I mentioned the offensive line that has Conklin Wills, Teller Botonio and then brings in Brian Allen. Not many as good as this one in Cleveland. And that's not including Dewan Jones or Ethan Posik or Hakeema Denji or Michael Dunn or Wyatt Davis in the holster. All these guys have played football, you know, over the last couple of years and played pretty well. So it's a good offensive line. The trenches on the other side are flat out awesome too. We mentioned Garrett's, Darius Smith, Shelby Harris, Dalvin, Tomlinson. They've all been hit additions, and then they add Quentin Jefferson a lot to like there. What can the Browns tell us about the Dolphins. I'm not sure there's something here. Maybe it's that it's better to commit to a quarterback that you've seen excel within your program, because we saw Wilson not work in Denver, right, that led to a total overhaul rebuild. And why, you know, came from a big play hunting you know, kind of absorb hits in the pocket and try to get the ball on the field to this quick strike passing, precision, precision passing game that's not really his game and it hasn't worked out at all in Cleveland. And that's essentially what's turned a could be Super Bowl contender into a team that's not made noise beyond getting into the postseason. Imagine if they had just gotten that position right, in addition to all the other roster building, they would have been right there. Either way, the big quarterback deal did the opposite of what it was intended to do, at least so far in the case of the Browns, and the jury is still out in twenty twenty four, unlike the Denver Broncos. Should we discuss the whole two a tongue of my low thing for I just want to go ahead and mention this real quick, like y'all, not y'all. I see a little bit of it on Twitter. But we got to stop accepting things as just truths, Like there are negotiations that happen within media, there are reports that league for certain reasons, like don't take everything as fact. Please just don't don't do that. Okay, I don't want to. I don't think it's worth talking about anymore. It's so time, I think it's going to happen, So just let's just chill on all that stuff. Let's go ahead and take our first break. Comeback on the other side and hear from Grayson Murphy, who was a delight to talk to. That's next Draft Time podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by Auto Nation. What up, guys, back here with another Dolphins player, Grayson Murphy from UCLA Dolphins linebacker Grayson, How you doing today, man? And first off, how has your transition to the rookie season been going so far?
Speaker 3: I've been doing I'm doing good.
Speaker 4: You know, I appreciate y'all having me on, you know, to honor, but can't complain about the rookie season.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: The only thing that is kind of a little bit different is I don't have my twin brother here, you know, go through it with me, and so I'm kind of doing a loan this year. You know, I had a twin brother at UCLA. You know, we've played football everywhere since, but you know, this is the first time we've kind of played away and it's just a little different.
Speaker 2: So was he at North Texas with you as well?
Speaker 4: Yes, sir, he's a North Texas. We've spent two and a half years there, than transferred to UCLA spent another two and a half years there, so played all our college ball together.
Speaker 1: Was it a package deal? When you guys are looking at transfer, was like, I'm not going if he's not going.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, Yeah, same way as in Hotspit.
Speaker 4: It was kind of like, you know, we wanted to play together, and uh, when we transferred ultimately decided to go to Eastly, We're like, man, we want to pay together too, you know.
Speaker 1: That's yeah, yeah, well you got I wish you guys wouldn't have because I was telling you about this before you came in and you got basically you you two and uh oh shoot now I'm forgetting his name La Latsu.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the first round pick.
Speaker 1: You guys destroyed my Washington State Cougar last year when were pretty hot coming into that game when you gotta shut things down. So I kind of wish you wouldn't have done that, But we're happy to have you here now. So with your with your twin brother, like you know, a non twin here's all these things, like they're telepath they know, starts thinking all the time. Was there benefit to that as pass rushers together?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Absolutely, you know, seeing looking across from you and seeing your brother, you know, it's just it's just kind of a different feeling. You know. I never felt like we had like the telepathic kind of thing, but it's always like, you know, we kind of like, you know, when we give each other that look, we kind of like you know them know, like hey man, if you don't get there, I'm going to get here, you know, type of thing. But you know, it's awsome playing with your brother. It's always been a childhood dream of wars and it was good for the Lord to give us that accomplishment.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely.
Speaker 1: They talk about, you know, chem street being developed within a year or two. Here, it's like we go back like twenty years to have that chemistry. So it works, It works pretty good. So I want to pivot to this now because I have this debate all the time with friends who I'm from the West Coast. So they tell me the best time zone for a sports fan is the West Coast because you get early kickoffs for football. The primetime games aren't super late. I argue because I have two young children that I get to watch the primetime games once they go to bed late at night, eight eight thirty kickoffs, whatever it is. Now you've lived in Dallas, Southern California, and now you're in South Florida.
Speaker 2: Which time zone is the best man man?
Speaker 3: For prime time games? The kickoff? You can't beat that California Tom zone.
Speaker 4: You're not five fives absolutely, But you know Texas, you know that Central Tom zone. I love that too, because you know, you know, if you kind of want to downturn the game on, you know, get to enjoy sit on the couch and whatnot and just you know, kind of like in California. You watch a game, you kind of you know, one day you have a team meeting. If off there, you'll miss part of the game, you know. And that central time zone you're always at eight eight thirty, and you'll get to get to enjoy the game pretty good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's why I like the late time because all my stuff are done, has day has been done.
Speaker 2: I don't got any.
Speaker 1: More obligations or chores to do. It's it's all taken.
Speaker 2: Care of it.
Speaker 4: One thing I will say is I'm a big MASS fan, and i'n't been able to watch the Mass games out here because I'm going to bed a little bit earlier in the game. That is to come on too, like nonnine thirty out here.
Speaker 1: But just being a pro, Yeah, that's pretty cool though, you've been a lifelong Mavericks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, sir, Yes, sir.
Speaker 1: First game I one of the first games I ever saw. I saw that I grew up in the Seattle area, so the Gary Payton songs from this team I grew up watching. But one of the first games I did see after like late into like the two thousands was Dirk Nevitski traveling to Seattle. So he's got to be your fair player.
Speaker 4: Oh absolutely, you know, going up with him twenty push years in Dallas. Yeah, you know, nobody in the coach had done that. So yeah, you know, just he's a living legend in Dallas, has a stats outside of the stadium, and yeah, like you said, he's my favorite player going up.
Speaker 1: Well, I know every single Dolphins fan is pulling for the mas because we do not like Boston teams any sport. So you've got the entire Dolphins nation behind you and the Masks. Even though y'all knocked off the dream team once upon time that can be twenty eleven whatever.
Speaker 2: It was good company there.
Speaker 1: So I want to ask you more about your time at UCLA because you guys had such a good pass rush and you were a part of that. How do you think that that time there prepared you for this opportunity.
Speaker 2: Here with the Dolphins.
Speaker 4: Man, you know, at UCLA, like you said, like we were so we were so multiple, you know, me and my brother and Lea two and another guy called named Crul Jones was you know, kind of part of that rotation. It kind of was like kind of in a sense our SPA guy, you know, kind of cleaned us up. You know, took care of us whether we we could do like a three men rush and kind of go all over the place. You know, me and my brother kind of lined up inside outside, you know, where the team needed this and it was just a lot of fun. Men. I think that's why we had so much success, because everyone was having fun out there.
Speaker 2: That's kind of what they do here, right, having fun.
Speaker 1: And you talk about lining up all all of the formation like we don't mean you do, but we don't really know what coach Weavers defense might look like yet. But if you go back to Baltimore with the Ravens like they were so multiple, you know, they would put their addressers over the nose and have a nosebacker rush. And you guys did the UCLA a lot too. Do you think that experience is going to translate well to your time here in mind?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's actuallyunny you say that because our coach, our defensive coordinay from UCLA, actually came from Baltimore with coach we I love it, and it was the DV coach up there in Baltimore and kind of brought some of those schematics and things like that to UCLA and kind of we learned a little bit, a little bit of you know, what they did in Baltimore, you know, kind of what we're doing down here, although it's kind of vanilla what we've kind of picked up now and kind of what we're getting right now. But you know, I see like the progression. You know, we'll probably get to that, you know, eventually down the line.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's early, right, A lot a lot of defense to be installed here. And speaking of that defense, I mean, you've got some real names in that room, man, Jalen Phillips was having speaking of UCLA. I was having some kind of year last year until that. I get emotional because JP is such a good dude and I love him so much. That Hard Knocks episode of him going down it was just so brutal to watch, and then we lose Bradley later on the year. Have you lean into those guys yet and kind of picked their brains a little bit? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Absolutely, you know, it's actually fun in Miami.
Speaker 4: Came down about two years ago to UCLA when they played the Rams and kind of used our facility and things like that. So that was the first time I got to meet JP and Bradley Chubb, and you know, ever since then, we kind of uh not kept in contact, but kind of you know, keping connect from a four and uh, you know when I first came up here, you know, those are the first guys that really you know, talk to and they've been kind of you know, coaching me up, giving me some game, you know, kind of been really leaning on them, you know, getting my feet wet and the NFL if you will.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it makes perfect sense. And on that same topic, I mean, you're one of a few rookies like the last couple of years and you know this is just my Dolphins historian and me, like we haven't really had like the youth in the edge group. It's been like those two guys and then we're trying to kind of develop a couple of other guys that haven't worked out. But now we got you, we got Chopped, we got Mo. Like, is there I guess is there a benefit to having these three rookies come in together and try to learn the same position, the same group together.
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Absolutely, you know those three guys that you're just missing me chopping Mo. You know, we're all, uh, it's all it's it's always you know, fun to have someone that's going through something the same thing that you are, you know, at the same time. You know, we're all trying to learn the defense at the same time, so it's kind of helping each other out and just you know, you kind of get to build that personal connection with each other since we're spending so much time with each other, and you know, I think that's gonna translate big on the field.
Speaker 1: Start getting some flash cards, go something something, guys, and tuned in there. Last question here for you, bringing it back to the very beginning. So your twin brother, I'm always curious to ask us about twins. Do you guys are a pull fast ones as kids? You know, you go to my class, I'll go to your or anything like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's actually funny you say that. You know, everyone kind of askers that when they first get to meet us. But we were actually homeschooled, you know, coming up all the way unto sixth grade, so we didn't get a freet way into middle school and whatnot until seventh grade, and by then we were kind of like of age. We really weren't trying to pull like tricks and things like that. But in high school our senior year, we got the pool one over on our teacher, our English teacher, and it worked out pretty good and she had no idea, so that was pretty fun.
Speaker 1: Good stuff. Man, appreciate your time today. Murphy Dolphins linebacker and away he goes really fun chat there with him. He has some interesting skills and as you can tell by that chat, really just wired the right way. I think there is a bright future in this league, whether it's here or somewhere else for Grayson Murphy at some point in his career. He's gonna have a good NFL career. Let's go ahead and take our last break rate there. Come back on the other side, finish up the AFC North of the Steelers and the Bengals. That's next Draft Time podcast Travis Wingfield, brought to you by Auto Nation. The Pittsburgh Steelers the cockroaches of the NFL twenty twenty three. They were ten and seven, third place in the AFC North. And I call them the cockroaches because somehow they got back into the postseason where they got properly waxed by the Buffalo Bills. Almost impossible to believe they made it back in especially after losing three straight to Arizona, New England and Indianapolis before beating the Bengals and Jake Browning and Seattle with was Ginos Smith start in that game?
Speaker 2: Was it Drew Luck I can remember?
Speaker 1: And then a Baltimore team who rested everybody in the finale to get them to ten wins, a trip to Buffalo to then get blown out, and if I'm being honest, I think all the time, like once a week at least about the alternate universe where we played them at home and then with a win host the Chiefs in South Florida a post to negative twenty five degrees. But that's the bed we made by losing to the freaking Titans two years after making Kenny Pickett a first rounder, and they are off that project. Mason route Off was the quarterback of the winning streak and playoff game, but this was an offense that had so many upgrades to make, and they tried to do just that at quarterback. Russell Wilson and Justin Fields are in Quarterrell Patterson's at running back, Van Jefferson at receiver. They also made some changes on defense. Patrick Queen and Deshaun Elliott, our former friend here joins their secondary, and their first round pick really their entire draft class I loved, but Troy Fatanu was my favorite pick in the entire draft, leaving Kenny Pickett, Mitch Trubisky, Deontaey Johnson, Allen Robinson, and Chikuma okafora all exit via free agency or trades. What they do well they win games in the fine margins. I'm not sure there's a coach over the last decade who has gotten more from less. I just don't think any less of these. I just don't think any of these last two or three Steelers teams had any business winning more than half their games. And yet every year they need a win and to get two or three breaks, and they do it, they get back into the postseason.
Speaker 2: It seems like every single year.
Speaker 1: We almost lost that Jets game in twenty twenty two with Skyler Thomps, which would have gotten seether was in that year and they had no business being in the playoffs that year. How do they do this every single year? They also rushed the passer as well as anybody in the NFL. Watt sets the table for him, but they disguise with interchangeable safeties and have maybe the most underrated pass rusher in the NFL. On the other side of TJ. Watt and Alex Highsmith. Both of them play off the strength and power and pocket collapsing of Cam Hayward inside. And now they add keanuh Benton and Larry Oguin joby last year and it made it even better. They have an explosive passing play element and that's basically through George Pickens now from both design and skilled deficiency from a play caller and quarterback that are no longer there. I mean, Matt Canada was awful, and so was Kenny Pickett. But look at how you know Wilson still pushes the ball down the field to maybe maybe get even more out of out of Pickens. You have to imagine there they envision a strong run game that can hit the electric play once a game to kind of grind out these you know, twenty three to twenty victories that they seem to love. What's the concern or fatal flaw? Did they actually solve their quarterback issue? Because Russell Wilson doesn't see the field anymore and without the or never did really, but without the explosive run element to his game, it's kind of exposed the rest of his flaws as a passer right. And then Justin Field's talking about seeing the field, Like everybody always asks me, why is Justin Fields It's because he can't see the field. It's because playing quarterback you have to see the field and you can't do it. It's like Josh Rosen, You're gonna throw hospital balls ten times a game and get your guys hurt because you can't see how the coverage moves and you that means you can't play the position. So that's a soapbox for a different day. Najie Harris does not get his fifth year option picked up, which he seemed, you know, critical to the power run gig when he was first brought in. And he's been beaten out by Jilen Warren, who is a you know, damn good back in his own right. Do they have enough weapons? I contend they don't because it's pretty much pickings. And then what else some young players Calvin Austen, you know, Roman Wilson. I like his game a lot.
Speaker 2: He's a rookie.
Speaker 1: Corner was an issue for them last year. They have they have to get Joey Porter Junior up to his first round stat or second round stass actually, and then who between Anthony Averrette, Dante Jackson. Darry Rush can step up. Cam Sutton is back, but he's a total knucklehead, so we'll see if that actually works out for them. I guess Dante Jackson is the guy in the slot there for them. Just critical questions in one of the most key areas on the field on defense in particular. Some interesting things about them and biggest storylines the quarterback battles. You know, I used to always write articles about this when I would write for various websites or my own website about like camp battles and the rookie versus the VET and who's gonna win this quarterback battle. They're kind of a thing in the past, aren't They Like teams kind of either get themselves a quarterback or they just don't. And then it's like, all right, the rookies up, or you know, the guy that we know can't really play, he's up as well. They did say that Russell Wilson gets first crack, But which one in the NFL is more intriguing than this one with Fields, Fields and Wilson. It's it's mid versus mid at best, but it's usually a VET that we know doesn't really have it right versus a first round pick. The vet wins and the rookie comes in by week three and it's over. But this one holds intrigue, though I think you know, both Fields and Wilson aren't that good. The winning season streak always intrigues me. I just think it's worth putting in here for interesting storylines. I'm curious to see how their prized free agent works out because Patrick Queen really struggled before Roquan Smith arrived in Baltimore, and now there's all this beef back and forth with them in the Ravens and it makes for to me a much more fun rivalry. And then just the challenge of the AFC North and the team that I think is probably behind the other three by quite a big margin. Some final roster thoughts. That line features my top two tackles from the last two classes in both Fatanu and Broderick Jones. I thought Zach Frazier and Mason McCormick were both great picks and starters from that class, and they also brought in James Daniels and Isaac Somalu last year for big money. So the offensive line, which wasn't very good last year, just based upon the investment, should be pretty good this year. I also loved the Peyton Wilson selection. The linebacker seems like a natural replacement for Landon Roberts whenever his time is up there and that whole draft la I mean, Roman Wilson to that group of the offensive line. Just a really, really good draft for the Steelers. What can they tell us about the Miami Dolphins. I think this is the least comparable team to Miami in the entire division. They're built differently, new quarterback. The two teams, despite similar records, have been in different discussions annually in terms of their threat to contend more ball control and defense for Miami is obviously the most explosive offense in the entire National Football League. Let's go ahead and finish up here with the last team in the division, but a team that I think a lot of folks will pick to win the division this year in the Cincinnati Bengals, who finished nine to eight last year and in the basement with a winning record of the AFC North winning season, and you still finish in the celler tells you how good the division is and how weird football is. Right, They go three to one in the first four games without Joe Burrow, only to lose two to Pittsburgh and Casey to effectively end their season. With Jake Browning at the helm, they also scored more points three point five more points per game with Browning than they did with Joe Burrow. They also gained more yards. It was only eight yards per game, but they did gain more yards per game with Browning than Burrow. I think you could look back at this Bengals team as one that maybe didn't strike when their iron was hot. Feels a little counter what I said earlier about measuring success. But the way I write that because well, because the Bengals they're kind of a poverty franchise, right They definitely are. They don't pay free agents, they don't pay scouts. They you know, Duke Tobin's come in. They're done a great job getting talent in there.
Speaker 2: But they don't want to win.
Speaker 1: They're kind of like the Seattle Manners in baseball, Like winning is not the priority there. They're trying to make money and be a profitable organization and they're not gonna commit big money to guys outside of Joe Burrow, right, Like they'll they'll spend their salary cap or whatever, but they're not gonna, you know, to put massive guarantees and money into escrow and mortgage in the future.
Speaker 2: They're just not gonna do that.
Speaker 1: And the Packers went that way for a long long time and they struggled for a long long time to break through. I think the Bengals could follow the exact same template, even if Joe Burrow stays healthy and goes back to being Joe Burrow, which that's a whole other question. I just think the Bengals miss their opportunity within the Borough rookie contract because of how uniquely.
Speaker 2: Built instead up they are as a franchise.
Speaker 1: What a crazy season and a sneaky massive one coming up in twenty twenty four. All years are big, but I think they have some questions for the first time in a few years, especially pertending to that quarterback and Joe Burrow I think is one of the best in the game, but availability and production have not been there the last two seasons. Offseason changes for the Bengals in Trent Brown, Zach Moss, Sheldon Rankins, Von Bell, Gino Stone, Amarius Mims their first round draft picks, So once again more investments to the offensive line. They've been doing that for a few years now and it hasn't really panned out for them. They do go out and get Sheldon Rankins and they bring Von Bell back, which I thought their defense really fell off when they said goodbye to Jesse Bates and Von Bell. So getting Bell and Gino Stone's a big addition there. The biggest ones could be on the horizon after you hear this podcast. Both Higgins and Hendrix put in trade request ahead of contract years and that has more to do with the Bengals operation we talked about right like, they don't take care of guys like that, and they're both gonna play under the final year there and then probably move on and get comp picks for both those guys at key positions right receiver and defense. Eve Vent leaving Chidobi a Wouse, Marcus Bailey the linebacker goes to the Cardinals, Tyler Boyd goes to the Titans. DJ Reer goes to the Lions, and what a big what a big loss of this for them. Jonah williams IRB Smith, and Nick Scott all depart as well.
Speaker 2: What do they do well?
Speaker 1: They create spacing and matchup issues for one of the game's top receivers and Jamar Chase, and the offense is designed very well to get him opportunities, who has an inherent chemistry with his quarterback because they play together at LSU.
Speaker 2: That's the best thing about this entire franchise.
Speaker 1: They also create off schedule and turn pass block losses into massive plays because of the quarterbacks mastery of vision and feel for space and the pre snap aptitude. All the mental aspects of the position are checked with Joe Burrow speed and athletic ability the second level. This allows them to rush four and play coverage with such range in that area and effectively, you know, effective and effective draft haul of Logan Wilson, Jermaine Pratt, a Keem Davis Kaithier in consecutive years. A few years back, what is the concern or the fatal flaws here? Slow starts? I mean Joe Burrow hasn't had a camp because of an appendectmy because of the hamstring last year. Like, he just misses time and camp every year and they start off horribly every year. He's missed seventeen starts in his career. He's ended two years on IR and in general had worse. Career production twenty twenty three is six touchdown passes and ten games and just six point three yards per pass. I hate when people do this, but if Tua did that, y'all would lose your damn minds. Mane He gets hit a lot behind an offensive line that has hasn't failed to invest, but had struggled to do the job. They'll look to the outside again with more help from Trent Brown and Amarius Mims once again. And safety was a massive issue last year after losing both Baits and Bell. Bell is back, but two years later down the road right, And this is what I mean by the importance of drafting for this team. Dax Hill was supposed to be the guy that would step in and fit in for von Bell, and it did not work out at all. They did get some of that from Cam Taylor Britt at cornerback, but that group in the defensive backfield is super thin. Some interesting things about this team this year is you know, I sort of covered it, but Burrow's return and can he stay healthy?
Speaker 2: Because if we can't, then what do you do?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 1: Higgins and Hendrickson both free agents at the end of the year. Is lou and a rumo going to get a head coaching because he's been brilliant for them the last few years. And it's a tough division. And if you can't win the division and you get more change next year, then what happens in twenty twenty five. Some final roster thoughts. I kind of love what they've done to remake the backfield post Joe Mixon. I think Travion Williams is a good fit for them. I think Chase Brown's a fun player, and I think the offensive line should curry more favorite to the running game, with both Brown and Mims being huge upgrades in terms of their push and they're ability to get displacement on the defensive line. Still a fun skill group with Chase and Higgins. I like Jermaine Burton quite a lot, Drew Sample and all those running.
Speaker 2: Backs a good group to throw to.
Speaker 1: Really deep up front on defense with both Hubbard and Hendrickson off the edge, Hill and Rankins inside. They add Chris Jenkins inside the former Panther Chris Jenkins, Joseph Asai, Miles, Murphy, cam Sample. Really good group there, and then Mike Hilton. Just want to make a note that he's one of the best slots in the entire game. What can they tell us without the Miami Dolphins. I think the parallel here is just how important it is to draft well and find young players who can provide cheap production. They've gotten that over the years from Burrow and Chase and Higgins, and that allow them to be up with free agents on defense and basically build a super Bowl caliber defense through free agency. But now those contracts are paid, are about to be paid, about to walk and take the loss. You see the need to replace those the defense that was constructed of imports with your own guys like Cam Taylor, Britt Logan Wilson. They'll need Chris Jenkins, n Amarius Mims, one of the young backs, a young receiver. They need all those guys to step up for them. And the Dolphins, you know, are entering a similarly a similar territory in some respects Okay, that's the Bengals. How about the division in general? So this could change from now to August, right, I just want to make that very clear. I think that there could be some cannibalization here within the division. I really like three of these teams and rosters and the only one I don't I literally always proves me wrong, so we'll see. But and probably got better at the most important position at quarterback, but we haven't seen the entire division stay healthy for a few years. If that happens, you'll get three more playoff teams again, so many big time stars with a lot to prove. This to me is the best division in the NFL. I'll go at the Ravens winning it again with eleven to twelve wins, the Bengal ten to eleven wins, the Browns nine to ten wins. I just don't think that Watson's good enough anymore. And the Steelers I'm gonna do it again six or seven wins for a roster that I think just comes up well short of the rest in the division. The best quarterback my superlatives here, Lamar Jackson. That's still pretty easy to me. The best non quarterback on offense is Jamar Chase. I think the best defensive player is Miles Garrett. I think the best coach is John Harbaugh. My favorite rookie you guys know us by now Troy Fatanu, the tackle out of you, dub and my fantasy sleeper is Traveon Henderson, who I think I said Williams earlier in the podcast. My apologies for.
Speaker 2: That, So there you go. AFC North is a rap.
Speaker 1: We're gonna come back on Monday and do the NFC North, the Lions, Bears, Packers and Vikings and hopefully I feel much better by then.
Speaker 4: Butt.
Speaker 2: Until then, that's gonna be my time.
Speaker 3: You all.
Speaker 1: Please be sure to subscribe, rate, review all that fun stuff. Follow me on social at Winfold NFL. The team at Miami Dolphins. Check out the fish Tank podcast with Seth and Juice the Jamie Sefalo episode just drop.
Speaker 2: You don't want to miss that.
Speaker 1: The YouTube channel for Media Availabilities, Dolphins a Day, Draft time content and so much more. And last button not leads to my Dolphins dot Com Until next time. Fins Up, Come on, Cameron, Daddy just coming up.