Speaker 1: Welcome to Stuff to Blow Your Mind production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome to Stuff to Blow Your Mind. My name is Robert Lamb.
Speaker 3: And I am Joe McCormick. And hey, Rob, you're back. You've been out of the country.
Speaker 2: That's right. Yeah, me and the FAM just spent two weeks in Japan so much fun. Highly recommend it, but it also means that, yeah, we're back. I'm only on my second day back and I'm still somewhat jet lagged, So I'm going to apologize in advance for any extra fumbles that I make today in handling our notes in our recording.
Speaker 3: What's the time difference EUS Eastern to Japan?
Speaker 2: What it's like thirteen hours? I believe it's I was constantly breaking my brain by pulling up the world clock on my phone and figuring out exactly like where we were and where back home was, and then all of that's fallen apart since I've come back, and I'm attempting to readjust.
Speaker 3: But it's like an almost perfect to day night inversion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, pretty much, and really was. It was easy, easy enough to get used to it going over. It'sn't just been much harder coming back.
Speaker 3: Well, folks. If you remember from before we were out for a couple of weeks, we had a kind of strange but I think good scheme where we broke right in the middle of a series so we could jump back in with part two of our talk about cicadas. Now, of course it's been a while, so you might not remember some of the things we talked about in part one, But in that episode we discussed our personal experiences with cicadas. We talked about finding their abandoned former exoskeletons after molting, or just finding random body parts, wings, legs, and stuff like that. Here and there, we talked about how cicadas fit into the insect class as a member of the so called true bugs, the Hymiptera, and we had a digression on the etymological history of the word bug in English referred to monsters and scarecrows before it actually referred to insects. We talked about the physical characteristics of cicadas. They're piercing and sucking mouthparts. They have this needle like mouth called a rostrum, which they used to feed off of Xylum sap from plant roots and then stems in their adult stage. We talked about how they emit their famous song, not by rubbing together wings or legs like some other insects, but with dedicated organs called timbals, these kind of corrugated drumheads on the sides of their bodies that they can buckle and snap back and forth to make a sound. We of course talked about their reproductive cycle, with an early developmental stage taking place underground where they feed on Xylum from plant roots, and then their emergence as an adult into the air or above where they mate. And then of course after they the females lay eggs with this wonderful knife like ovipositor that they gouge into twigs and soft tree branches to make little canyons for their eggs to live in. And then finally we talked about the periodical cicadas of North America that we have here and we just recently had a big emergence in our area. The periodical cicadas which emerge not every year everywhere, as most cicadas do, but instead after bizarrely long periods of underground development, so some go thirteen years before emerging, some go seventeen years. And we discussed evolutionary pressures that could have led to this adaptation. One hypothesis that we talked about, and to be clear, this is not the only one. There are other possible explanations in the mix, and we might try to get into them in a later part of the series. But one hypothesis we talked about is that it prevents local predators and parasitoids from adapting to cicadas as regular prey or host animals, because once they're out, as I've read in multiple places, everything eats them. Cicadas are nutritious, they have almost nothing in the way of individual defenses, and there are a zillion of them, so it's nature's buffet. But the idea is if you only appear at weird, irregular time intervals, predators can't come to depend on you, and there won't be enough of them to eat all of you when you do come out. So it's like if you had a buffet that you didn't want too many people eating at so you know, and it was delicious and you had lots of food, but instead you just like were very squirrely about what you're operating hours were.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, it's the the complete inversion of what you would expect with some sort of a business model for a restaurant, a buffet or anything that's like bringing in bodies. You know, in this case want you want your audience. You want the consumers to be taken off guard so that they can't be ready for it. They can't ramp up to meet this dietary bounty that occurs again, not every year, but every thirteen or every seventeen years with these periodical cicadas.
Speaker 3: But of course many species of cicadas are just annual cicadas, and they do come out every year, and many things do still eat them.
Speaker 2: That's right. But that leads to the big question, right, Joe, Lots of things can eat them, We can eat them. We'll probably get into that a little bit more in a subsequent episode, But can they eat us? To question that has garnered a lot of discussion of you.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's a wonderful question. It's a question people apparently cannot stop asking. So if you go back through newspaper articles, radio programs, all kinds of media that accompany these big cicada booms whenever they happen, it seems readers and listeners are always expressing concern that the cicadas will bite them or sting them. And then maybe if people know a bit more about their morphology, about the piercing and sucking mouthparts rather than the chewing and tearing arrangement some other bugs have, they might ask instead, will Cicada's stab their needle like rostra into my veins and drain all my blood? And yes, one historical newspaper article does discuss this possibility. The short answer is no, no, no, this does not happen. But it is kind of interesting to explore the way this question keeps coming up over and over again, because it turns out recent generations are not the first to arrive at this question. People have been asking this for a long time. So I was looking for sources on this and I came across an article by an author whose name always fills me with delight when I see it, May Berenbaum. May Barnbaum is an American entomologist affiliated with the University of Illinois. She has been recently and I think still is editor in chief of PNAS, and we've cross paths with her work a lot on stuff to blow your mind because she has written a lot of science based articles that cover I don't know, our kind of beat like strange and funny questions about insects, but with a scientifically informed perspective. And just one example is I think we did an article of hers that was talking about cases of bugs crawling inside people's bodies, stuff like that. This particular article was called same Old Cicada Song, and it was published in the magazine American Entomologist in twenty twenty one, related to a big periodical cicada emergence that year, specifically brood Now do we say brood X or brood ten?
Speaker 2: I mean, I always read it in my head is brute x, but of course it's brood ten.
Speaker 3: I think we should follow the Jason X convention though, even though it you know, it's the tenth Jason movie, but everybody says Jason X. So I think it should be brood x brude X. It is so. In this article, Barenbaum talks about the long history of media stories about emerging cicada broods, and she goes way back into the newspaper archives and finds a story from March first, eighteen sixty in the New York Times. This would have been only nine years after the paper was founded that begins as follows the locust plague to reappear this year. You know that's classic headline flair all caps locust plague about insects that once again harm no one. So the article goes on. Mister Gideon B. Smith communicates the following unpleasant bit of entomological news through the National Intelligencer. The locusts or cicada septin decim will appear very extensively this year, occupying probably a larger surface of the country than those of any other year. Now a note about referring to them as locusts. We talked in the last episode about how, of course cicadas are not locusts. Locusts are a type of swarming grasshopper, and cicadas are not even especially closely related to grasshoppers. They're both insects. But cicadas again are hymiptera. They are the true bugs. But many of the popular sources from the nineteenth century that discuss cicadas do refer to them as locusts or sometimes with other common names like harvest flies. But locust is very common, and because of course locusts are associated with threats to crops, I think this sort of bleeds over that, like calling incorrectly calling cicada's locusts bleeds over into this idea that cicadas themselves are a threat to crops, which they are generally.
Speaker 2: Not right, right, and making it far easier to confuse yourself not only with accounts of actual locust based destruction, but even like cultural biblical mentions of the locusts and plagues of locusts.
Speaker 3: Exactly. Yeah. So after this, barren Baum goes on to highlight another article that appeared in The Times a little more than seventeen years after that first one, in June eighteen seventy seven, for the seventeen year re emergence of the same brood. This article was called the Dry Cicada, and she brings up this article as the first example of a recurring theme that we'll see in a lot of these where the author is starting to argue that cicadas are not a threat to humans. And she includes a short quote that was so good I had to go look up the original article in full, and I'm glad I did so. I'm going to summarize a bit and read from some of it here. The article starts off with a vivid description from the point of view of a hypothetical new Yorker. They call them a townsfolk visiting the rural districts of New Jersey, and it describes the sites and sounds associated with a mass emergence of periodical cicadas. It talks about their sound as similar to a chorus of tree toads, or to quote the shrilling of the railway track when the train is at a distance and happens to enter a rock cutting. It describes going on a ramble through the woods, seeing characteristic holes in the ground as if someone had been stabbing the ground with a walking stick, especially near the roots of oaks, chestnut, cottonwood, and maple trees, and then finding leftover shells from cicada moltz clutching onto the lower branches of trees like festoons. And then I'm going to read a paragraph from the article here. The author writes, quote, pretty soon one of these peculiar creatures will be found, having just freed itself from the grim, uncouth shape it has borne for so many years. The long, transparent double pair of wings have been shaken out from two limp close packed masses into their full expanse of brittle pinions. The body takes a darker tint, and the red eyes that distinguished this harvest fly gleam brightly. The insect is fully prepared for its apotheosis. It knows exactly what to do, and before its wings can bear it, it begins to travel up the trunk of any tree nearby to join the frivolous band of its fellows that are making the upper air trimble with their love notes. You know, theaper, the newspaper reporting style was different back then.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, they had a whole different ap style book, didn't they.
Speaker 3: Yeah. But anyway, so it goes on to talk about a few other things, like how how the cicada flies, it's mating, and so forth, But then finally it gets to the question of whether that frivolous band of fellows will kill you. So here I'm going to read again from the article. It says, since the larva lives by sucking the juices from roots, and the fly has a large and strong sucking tube, there seems no reason why this locust, as we call it, should not divert its attention from the juices of plants to the red juices of animals and men like the just like the large horse flies before mentioned. Indeed, just as the small and maddening mosquito itself. It seems a mere piece of luck, perhaps the result of their slow flight, or some arrangement of their sucking tubes, their defective digestive their defective digestive system, or even the fact that the ancestors of the present harvest fly have been invariably well conducted, that the Jerseymen of this year still exists in life instead of being reduced to a thoroughly pumped frame of flesh. Nothing short of plate armor would have saved him. Or it may be that the extraordinary parsimony of nature which leads her to give the poor harvest fly, after seventeen or thirteen years of underground existence, only a few weeks in which to buzz in love and deposit the connubial egg. It may be the scantness of their allowance of paradise which saves New Jersey from periodical depopulation. For if it were not for one or more of these counteracting causes, imagine the result of an appetite for blood aroused in the horny breasts of these gigantic horseflies. Instead of flying with comparatively harmless results about the tops of the trees, they would descend upon the helpless jerseyman and drive him forth, if it be possible to make that distinction with a jerseyman to a foreign climb. Love the dig at New Jersey residents at the end there.
Speaker 2: Oh man, there's so much to dissect. There, so many logical hurdles were vaulted over in this absolute sprint toward the fear the possibility that the cicadas could just one day wipe out all of New Jersey.
Speaker 3: But I like that it's making the point that cicadas don't do this by just elaborating extensively on how they could.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like, yeah they could. Yeah, I mean if humans had xylum and not blood, if we were trees and not mammals, then then sure, yeah, it would be a dire threat.
Speaker 3: So unfortunately, I feel like I think the article is just dreaming up a whimsical scenario. But I can't quite tell if the author is trying to argue against a belief that some people actually held at the time that like, oh, yeah, they'll drink your blood, and it's saying like, no, if they did drink your blood, think how you know it would depopulate all of New Jersey every thirteen years. I'm not quite sure exactly what this author is trying to respond to with this elaborate scenario, but either way, I love it. But in any case, it is It certainly is the case that people are concerned about the impact of cicadas, both on plants and on people. Whether or not they think, you know, people are actually going to be drained of their blood, they do at least think that cicadas are going to bite and sting them. So Barenbaum finds more articles in the Times. The next one is once again seventeen years after this last one, so this would be in May eighteen ninety four, and it debunks what appear to be several common misconceptions banging around at the period. In the period, one is something we talked about in part one that you brought up, rob, the idea of prognostication via cicada wings that, like the wa means that a war is going to happen, though that's not really about cicadas, you know, it's just a general superstition, so you know, the article attempts to address that. However, the second misconception addressed is the idea that the cicada can bite or sting, which the author says is not true.
Speaker 2: Quote.
Speaker 3: Other persons have feared that these insects may sting and carefully avoid handling them, as they have no sting and are only armed with a beak for sucking, which however, is never used by the perfect fly. Such fears are groundless. So we're getting a very different the perfect fly here. This is like a be a tific view of the cicada. It's like painting it in a very rosy picture. Now, something that people do wonder they're armed with this knowledge, like Okay, yeah, they don't have a stinger, they don't have biting mouth parts. Could they stab you with the beak if you threatened them? I've turned up a mixed collection of answers on this. For example, I found an older book by the Field Museum entomologist William Josiah Gerhard, published in nineteen twenty three called The Periodical Cicada, in which Gearhard addresses these concerns by saying, quote, under favorable conditions, this insect could readily pierce the human skin by means of its beak, but apparently it rarely or never attempts to protect itself in such a manner.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because again coming back to the basic evolutionary tactic, here is overwhelmingtory predatory threats. You know. Again, it's there are so many of us you cannot possibly kill and eat all of us. Enough of us are going to survive.
Speaker 3: Read right. So, Yeah, the food at this buffet wants to defend itself. It doesn't defend It doesn't defend itself by fighting back. It defends itself by being a part of a mass of so much food that it cannot all be eaten.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can't possibly get through this many steamer trays of cicada. Yeah, you're out of luck. So that's where they have That's where the investment is, not in individual defensive capabilities.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And so I detect in this phrasing, even of this older book, that even though he's saying it's possible, he's not aware of any examples of this happening. And he's written a whole book on the subject, so it seems like he would have come across some examples if they were known about. He only mentions this as a hypothetical, And most modern sources that I found that consult actual entomologists say that as far as they know this does not happen. So can a cicada beak you? I don't know. The way I would think think about it is like if you are handling a cicada, like it does have a hard exoskeleton, in some parts of that exoskeleton can be kind of pokey. So it's conceivable that one of these pokey parts could give you a little scratch or a poke, but it's not going to get you like other insects would. So even though it seems quite clear that the periodical cicadas of North America do not bite or sting, and any kind of poke you got from them, you would really have to be like sort of go in for it by handling them intentionally, and even then it seems like it would probably be accidental. There's just not really anything to worry about. But I think these questions are going to keep coming up because one of the themes of me May Berenbaum's article is how writing about cicadas seems to be in a constant struggle to deal with myths and misconceptions that arise perpetually again and again. She quotes another article from The New York Times from nineteen thirty six by Donald Peaty, which calls the periodical cicada the most misunderstood insect on our continent and talks about how it's necessary for the federal government to issue bulletins to people in the eastern United States to quell the misconceptions. Pd writs, quote and people may at last learn that the cicada does not eat crops, does not sting babies. No authentic case of baby stinging has come to hand or invade gardens. But despite the fact that people with knowledge have been debunking this for over one hundred years, it never sticks. And she cites example after example of these articles over time over the decades, responding to reader concerns that cicadas are the same thing as locusts, that they eat crops in foliage, that they bite or sting people, especially children, And they don't do that. I mean they it's not that they can never cause any harm to plants. They can when they lay their eggs in the you know, the young the greenwood of some plants that can sort of kill some of the tips of stems, but they're just generally not that harmful to plants. They certainly don't eat crops, and that they don't hurt people. And I was thinking about this, about these recurring misconceptions about the periodical cicadas. Of course, there are misconceptions about all kinds of living creatures. We talk about talk about them on the show all the time, but it just seems they are especially prevalent about cicadas. Every time there is a new, local brewed emergence, people are baffled anew and prone to the same superstitions that we believed in last time. And this struck me as very interesting because I started to think it's almost as if the periodical cicadas are preventing us from adapting to them in the same way and by the same method that they prevent predators and parasitoids from adapting to them by appearing in different areas on these staggered time schedules. Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, It's like we instead of having just constant news coverage or just you know, annual news coverage about mass emergences of cicadas, we get you know, extra concentrated news coverage every every so often. Yeah, so we have time to sort of forget and then and then to sort of grow hungry for new sensationalist headlines, which we still have, you know, as we discussed in the last episode that we did on cicadas, you know, we still have these kind of outrageous news coverage bits that occur that seem to even if they don't double down on the misinformation aspect of it, they kind of like get into the gleeful, ooh bugs aspect of it that is almost kind of like the first step in getting to a they might suck my blood.
Speaker 3: Yeah. In fact, you know, there are these like different scales of plausibility in the people dreaming up scenarios about what cicadas could do to them. You know, if you don't know anything, it's plausible to imagine they could sting or bite you. They're not going to do that, actually, but that doesn't seem all that far fetched. And then beyond that, you get the will they leave me a thoroughly pumped husk? You know, are they going to suck out all my blood? That doesn't seem all that plausible. And then there's like even weirder stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. Gene Kritsky and what as I believe his latest book, A Tale of Two Broods, dealing with the latest cicada emergencies. He goes into a number of different angles here, but he includes this following actual example from an eighteen seventy one publication in the Grant County Herald from Lancaster, Wisconsin. And what's interesting here is he includes full or most of the either the entirety or most of the article, and most of it seems to be rather logical, stressing that cicadas are only a threat to tree branches, you know, basically doing a good job of laying out the science. But then at the very end, it's like they felt like, well, we have to acknowledge the superstition in a little bit, so they include this last bit quote the insect has no sting and does not seem to have the power to bite. It is possible then, that in exceedingly rare cases, it has attempted and succeeded in depositing an egg in the skull of a human being. So you know, once you add that at the end, if you're like, but there's still there's a non zero chance it could lay an egg in your skull, Like, it kind of undoes all that great work you just did at dispelling the superstition.
Speaker 3: Well, wait, I believe there's a non zero chances that like, has this possibly happened? Doesn't seem super plausible.
Speaker 2: But I mean, I didn't see I've not seen any real accounts of this, you know, no medical journal, you know, recent or old.
Speaker 3: I heard from a guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's like somebody said it happened, and can you prove that it didn't sort of a thing, you.
Speaker 3: Know, yeah, disprove or except yeah, that's great.
Speaker 2: And even then, I feel like there's a danger in us mentioning it here too, that now that's in your mind, you're like when you experience the cicadas out there in the world, that you're going to think, but could they lay an egg in my skull? I don't want that, but really do not worry about it. These creatures have an agenda, and that agenda does not include sucking your blood, destroying your crops, landing Well, they may land on your baby, but they don't care about your baby, and they're definitely not interested in laying eggs and skulls.
Speaker 3: I can very well imagine a scenario that easily leads to the misconception that they sting babies, which is that like if you've got a kid and like an insect flies up in lands on them. The child might become scared and start crying, and then it flies away, and then you think they're crying because they're in pain. It's stung them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Or an insect landed on your child and you're overly protective, as many of his parents are, and you're like, oh goodness, then you rush forward and you create the incident of fear and so forth.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Oh, but I did want to mention one thing that I thought was interesting that cicadas. Of course, they do not bite, they do not sting. It seems exceedingly rare. If they ever even really poke people. That seems to not happen much. If it happens at all, so you don't have to worry about that. But they might possibly pee on you and the p The nature of the cicada urination is quite alarming actually if you see it, because it doesn't look like what you imagine insect urination would be, and in fact it's not very consistent with what pre existing models before just recently would have predicted of an insect like them. Because cicadas are insects and they are xylum feeders. They live by sucking xylum from plants and creatures with these characteristics. The little insects and xylum feeders were pretty much thought to excrete by creating little droplets that they shake off essentially, And this is due to how fluid dynamics work at small scales. You know, We've talked about this a lot on the show because of that essay. I love bringing up the on being the right size, you know, or like the way that your body interacts with water is very different if you are very small, Like the surface tension of water becomes a much more powerful and dangerous force to deal with in everyday life if you're very small. And it's also true that water flows differently at very small scales. So you know, larger mammals tend to produce a kind of stream of urine that goes out of the body. But when you get down to smaller and smaller animals, what tends to happen is that they just kind of like do a weak, little kind of emission of droplets that they might shake off of the body somehow. But I was reading about new research published just this year in March twenty twenty four in p and As by L. Eoj Chalita and M. Sad Bombla, and the paper was called Unifying Fluidic Excretion across life from Cicadas to Elephants. And so the authors write in their abstract, can insects weighing mirror grams challenge our current understanding of fluid dynamics in urination jetting fluids like the larger their larger mammalian counterparts. And the answer is yes, Yes, Insects can create jets just like mammals do. You don't often see it, but cicadas can do this. And they got some video footage of this, and they studied how the water, how the excretion flows out of the cicadas. I would recommend looking up video of cicadas peeing because, as I said earlier, it's it looks alarming.
Speaker 2: Yeah it is. It's not the medicine dropper scenario we were just talking about. It is, well, what you might call a proper leak that these cicadas are taking.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's jetting out. And so they talk about a previous urination model where it was assumed that jetting was basically limited to animals over three kilograms in body mass because of just because of how fluids flow, and that it's hard to create a jet if you're smaller. They say, it's owing to viscous and surface tension constraints at microscales like I was talking about. You know, water flows differently, liquids flow differently at smaller scales. But they say, quote, our findings defied this paradigm by demonstrating that cicadas weighing just two grams possess the capability for jetting fluids through remarkably small orifices. Using dimensional analysis, we introduce a unifying fluid dynamic scaling framework that accommodates a broad range of taxa, from surface tension dominated insects to inertia and gravity reliant mammals. And then they go on to say, as we often get in studies like this, they go on to say, you know, this could be useful in designing better nozzles for you know, like tiny robots and machines that need to jet things out at a micro scale. So maybe one day, maybe one day, some medical technology, like a little robot that swims inside your body and jets around, you know, needs to like squirt a jet of something inside your body, will be based on the design of a cicada's weird, kind of alarming urination.
Speaker 2: I'll be very surprised if this study doesn't win an ig Nobel Prize this year. Yes, you know, yeah, because you have the cicada emergence is happening anyway. Cicadas are in the public mindset, so yeah, this seems like this is a this is a shoehorn for the Biology Prize or I don't know what one of the other prizes would probably work as well, but surely biology.
Speaker 3: It's possible. We'll be back on this study later this year.
Speaker 2: Yes, all right, Now, for the remainder of this episode, I wanted to get back into the whole classification of broods. You know, we're talking about brood X and so forth. In the last episode, we talked about the evolution of periodical cicadas and why they do this, but we didn't really get into the amazing way this really shakes out in terms of different broods or the history of how we got to this point.
Speaker 3: Right, because when we talk about these periodical emergencies, we've tried to mention this a few times already as we go along, but it's not like the thirteen year or seventeen year cicadas all come out at once. It's like every thirteen years, they're all there. We have different local populations referred to as broods that are on the same time schedule.
Speaker 2: Right right, based on their geographical area and the year they emerge. And basically all of this our understanding of this and our brood classification of periodical cicadas, it traces back to the work of American entomologist Charles Lester Marlott, who lived eighteen sixty three through nineteen fifty four. Kansas born, KSU educated, he was an entomologist who worked most of his career. I believe he was a USDA researcher, and I was reading about him in the Legacy of Charles Marlott and Efforts to Limit Plant Pest Invasions by Leibhold et al. Published in the journal American Entomologist in twenty sixteen. So he's a pretty interesting fellow. A lot of his work for the USDA centered around the control of agricultural pest insects, with a focus on invasive threats. The article mentions that in nineteen oh one and nineteen oh two Marlott and his wife went on honeymoon in China in Japan, which again nineteen oh one.
Speaker 3: You know too, this is a.
Speaker 2: Pretty adventurous vacation. That's a pretty adventerous honeymoon. You know that we had to get there by ship and just more of an undertaking compared to today. But while there, it also gave him a chance to check out the native range of a particular invasive pest insect known as the San Jose scale, or it was known it was known in the US at the time. It's the San Jose scale. Uh, this being a creature that was a big problem at this point in California. But it was originally native to Siberia, northeast China, and I believe parts of the Korean Peninsula. I believe it has since spread to various places, not just you know, to to North America. But so anyway, this this vacation, this honeymoon, gave him a chance to investigate this organism's natural environment, to make note of its natural predators, and even bring back specimens, and all of this at his own personal expense. That's just how devoted an entomologist he was. And this kind of line of work would ultimately lead to the introduction of the Italian ladybird beetle or lady bug, though it's not a true bug, the particular species being Chillcorus similis. This is the red spotted ladybird, so Charles Marlott would be the individual to orchestrate it being introduced to North America in order to combat the San Jose scale threat.
Speaker 3: Weird. I just looked up the red spotted ladybird and if it is the thing, I've found it looks like an inversion of a ladybug.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, so you know, not to be confused with various other ladybirds and related insects. But this is interesting though, because he was in this effort, he was very much a pioneer of biocontrol, introducing species to another species that has already been introduced into an area. Again, as we've discussed in the show before, though, this of course is a very delicate balancing act and one that especially now, we do not engage in willy nilly. There are all sorts of things that can go wrong and do go wrong when we attempt to write a previous wrong.
Speaker 3: Yeah, google cane toads in Australia if you want to see how this can go wrong.
Speaker 2: Now, this honeymoon to Japan and China that Marlott and his wife went on. It ends up taking a tragic turn because during his travels in Asia, his wife contracted some unknown illness. I don't know that. I didn't even run across any suspicions of what it might have been, but she caught some sort of unknown illness ultimately died from it, and the authors of this paper add that quote. This experience no doubt shaped Marlott's thinking and perhaps contributed to his strong concern about the dangers of accidentally importing species from overseas. So again, his wife seemingly caught some sort of a pathogen, and Marlott his work dealt with agricultural pests. But you could see how this could intensify his already pre existing concern about pest organisms from other ecosystems being introduced into North America. And indeed, Marlott became very concerned about the threat of invasive organisms that had already entered the US through soil and trade, as well as the potential for future invasive exposures. He was key in urging Congress to enact plant quarantine legislation to help deal with this threat, and I was The article gets into it here. It was a pretty polarizing topic because on one hand, you had plenty of people who are already like thinkers on this. You know, they could point directly at problems with invasive pests in agriculture in North America, like with the San Jose scale, and say, yeah, this is terrible. We need to combat this and figure out ways to prevent it from happening. But on the other hand, you had individuals who were saying, no, no, no, no, you can't stand in the way of free trade. You can't get in the way of American horticulture because it depends on introducing plant species from around the world, and you just need to stand back and let us do it. And so we end up with another really interesting and very newsy and political situation that occurs. And none of this involves cicadas, but I thought it was too fascinating. It all concerns Marlin, so I do want to go into it, at least briefly. Here Basically, what happens is in the year nineteen oh nine, you have a number of cherry trees, some two thousand cherry trees that are gifted from Japan to the United States. It's a gift that involved. Basically, there's kind of like a back and forth between a prominent Japanese chemist of the time, doctor Takamini Jokichi, and the first lady of the time Hell and heron taft. So you know, she'd expressed interest in the cherry trees of Japan, and the good doctor Here's like, well, yeah, I've got some connections here, and lo and behold, now we get a state offering of two thousand cherry trees. They are sent on their way across the ocean, and then they're put on a train and travel across the continent to Washington, d c. M. And this is where Marlott enters the picture, because a USDA team led by him ends up inspecting the trees and he's like, instantly he pulls a total ripley on all of this. He's like, no, no, no, no, you cannot do this, Like we just checked. These things are infested, they have scale insects, they have root gall What we need to do is just burn them all.
Speaker 3: Oh no, I mean I understand the reasoning there, and that makes sense, but it's like it was a gift, you know, it's just like, oh that sucks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so they didn't burn it right away, Like basically this had to travel up the pole, and I believe President Taft himself had to give the authorization, but that within a month all these trees were burned. And I guess the upside here is that, first of all, Agricultural Secretary James Wilson and his staff followed this up with a strong push, using scientific evidence to seek a national plant quarantine law. So thirty nine states had already passed such laws, but with this they were able to roll out the Plant Quarantine Act of nineteen twelve, which went into effect August twentieth, nineteen twelve, and the establishment of the Federal Horticultural Board, and also you know future plant quarantine efforts, so you know, they're able to spin it off and do some additional good, you know, broader good outside of you know, state offerings of gifts. And there's even I guess a happy ending to the whole cherry tree gift tobacco here as well, because Japan ended up offering replacements. These were fumigated before shipment, and ultimately the first lady and the wife of the jap these ambassador like oversaw the planting of these trees, and the Washington d c. Cherry trees remain in iconic aspect of the nation's capital. Anyway, none of that involves cicadas, but it all involves Charles Lester Marlott. So I thought we'd mention it. But if invasive pests were Charles Lester Marlott's hated foes, his best friends, his most beloved insects were, without a doubt, periodical cicadas. He studied them, immensely, published about them. He loved them so much that when he had a house built in Washington, d C. This mansion, this big brick mansion, he had cicadas carved into various features of the home. Huh. And the paper here includes some images. I've included them here for you to look at, Joe. This home apparently still is still around it currently, I believe houses the Institute of World Politics. I intentionally did not look them up. I don't know what their world politics happened to be, and I'm going to remain blissfully ignorant of whatever they are. But it is my understanding that the cicadas are still there, like on the banisters of the staircases and so forth.
Speaker 3: Uh, huh, it's a beautiful house whatever they're doing in there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but yeah, he was a key figure in our understanding and our study of periodical cicadas. He contributed to the taxonomic study of them, outlined the thirty hypothesized broods of periodical cicadas in North America. His nineteen oh seven book The Periodical Cicada laid everything out to signing Roman numerals, covering all thirteen years of the thirteen periodical cicadas and all seventeen of the seventeen periodical cicadas for a grand total of thirty.
Speaker 3: That's interesting. So you know, if you go back to these articles that I was talking about from the New York Times in the nineteenth century, some people were already aware that there were like some local emergences that happened on seventeen year cycles. But so there was some knowledge, but I guess they didn't know. They didn't have worked out like what all the broods were and where all of them.
Speaker 2: Were, right. Yeah, you look at details from his work, which was extensive, like he's making maps, you know, pinpointing them like this guy went hard on periodical cicadas and as such, like anything you read about periodical cicadas. You will invariably see his work sided like there'll be Marlett down There often multiple Marlet publications that are cited. I mean, his work was just foundational. Gene Kritsky, of course, cites him numerous times in a Tale of Two Broods, saying quote, he designated the seventeen year cicadas that emerged in eighteen ninety three as brood one. The cicadas that emerged in eighteen ninety four were called brood two. The cicadas emerging in eighteen ninety five were to be called brood three, and so on. And then he adds for just to drive everything at home, he says, quote, Marlott's system greatly reduced the confusion surrounding the study of periodical cicadas, and it has stood the test of time. It was particularly helpful in areas where there were overlapping broods, enabling observers to determine precisely where and when cicadas would again emerge.
Speaker 3: And as far as I can tell, our systems for predicting these brood emergencies have been pretty reliable.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, Now, you know, some things didn't quite shake out, So you know, it turns out like we don't have a full thirty broods. I think it's more like fifteen. Right, Some years might not have produced a brood. And we know that some broods were in decline when Marlott studied them, and some have seemingly gone extinct. So for instance, there is a brood twenty three, but not a twenty four breod twenty one native to the Florida Panhandle when extinct sometime after eighteen seventy. So you know that there have been changes. And also it does drive home that you know, even though when these broods emerge, it is just overwhelming and it just seems like they're a juggernaut that can't be stopped. They are vulnerable, you know, there are you know, changes to their environment can impact them and they can just go away forever. Now, you know, we can't go into everything like again, I'll just summarize by saying Marlott was the man of his time in laying out much of the foundational work for our understanding of periodical cicadas. But of course, given the time he was active, and given just the pervasive superstitions around cicadas, he of course also had to do a little myth busting here and there concerning their you know, consumption of flesh and so forth. So here's one more quote from gene Kritsky's A Tale of Two Broods quote. Reports of periodical cicadas attempting to lay eggs in humans popped up in several newspapers during the nineteenth century. Marlott settled the question, writing, with every general outbreak of this insect our associated accounts in local papers of its stinging human beings, the sting often resulting, it is stated more or less seriously to the person stung. So far as investigation of the reports have been possible, they have proved to be either utterly without fandebt foundation or much exaggerated. So nothing that nothing that we haven't already covered, and that that scientists aren't having to again reiterate for the public. But it's it's interesting that, yeah, here's this guy who did so much work on cicadas, but he would also have to chime in and just say no, no, no, they are not going to drink your blood. They're not going to lay eggs in your brain. They ultimately don't care about you. You are not part of the cicada agenda. All right, Well, we're going to go ahead and close out this episode right there, but we're going to return to the world of cicadas in the next episode. There's still a lot we didn't get to discuss. There are whole area's mythological yet to be to be discussed here on the show. We haven't really gotten into the culinary question of cicadas, so there's a lot to discuss, and of course in the meantime, we would love to hear from everyone out there. You undoubtedly have experiences with cicadas, annual or periodical, and we would like to hear about them. Do you fancy yourself a cicada photographer? Oh, we'll send your photos. We will look at them. Do you have any thoughts on cicada urination? Yes, we want to know about that as well. And if you have any second, third, fourth, fifth hand accounts of cicada's biting people, sucking blood, or laying eggs and the skull, yes, right in with that as well. We will of course discuss that in future episodes of Listener. Made just a reminder that Stuff to Blow Your Mind is primarily a science and culture podcast, with core episodes publishing on Tuesdays and Thursdays, listener mail on Monday's short form episode on Wednesdays and on Fridays, we set aside most serious concerns to just talk about a weird film on Weird House Cinema.
Speaker 3: Huge thanks as always to our excellent audio producer JJ Posway. If you would like to get in touch with us with feedback on this episode or any other, to suggest a topic for the future, or just to say hello, you can email us at contact at stuff to Blow your Mind dot com.
Speaker 1: Stuff to Blow Your Mind is production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from my heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.