Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. Bloomberg Tech is a live from Coast to coast with Caroline Hide in New York and Eva low in sentrancs.
Speaker 2: Go, This is Bloomberg Tech coming up. Soft Bank sells its entire stake in Nvidia for close to six billion dollars. This to help bankroll it's other AI investments.
Speaker 3: As we sit down with core Wee've CEO Michael and Trader to talk about the company's earnings and that data center delay and.
Speaker 2: More earnings with paramount skide answer as the company reports its first results since David Ellison's takeover.
Speaker 3: Much to digest when it comes to the fundamentals of businesses today, and but overall we've got a bit of risk aversion here. We've got some of the biggest players in technology. On the downside, you're going to drill into the individual movers. But there is a question of AI infrastructure. There's a question of pressure or some of these market capitalizations of eight ten percent after yesterday's bounce back on hopes that the government shutdown might.
Speaker 4: Be reaching some sort of end.
Speaker 3: But then take us to the individual movers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, cor Weave is where we start stock down about thirteen percent, on track for its biggest drop since mid August. The stock trading in its lowest level since early September. In a few minutes time, we're going to speak to the CEO, Michael and traitor.
Speaker 5: The company cut its revenue.
Speaker 2: Outlook for fiscal twenty five or trimmed it really because of a delay to a specific project. The other thing that's weighing on the markets right now is in Vidio in video down around two percentage points when last I checked. The issue is right now three percent now that soft Bank sold its remaining stake in Vidio in its entirety, it's not unprecedented. Soft Bank has sold out of Nvidia before. I'd also remind our audience yesterday Vidia jumped almost six percent, on track for its biggest jump, or was its biggest jump since April.
Speaker 5: But the market's a little nervous. Hire. There's a lot to unpack.
Speaker 3: Car there is, and let's unpack it with our executive Global Tech editor, Peter Elstrom. Peter talk us through what is happening, because, as Ed says, this is not unheard of, and in many ways what they use the money for could end up being a benefit to Invidia longer term.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's exactly right, Caroline. So SoftBank reported earnings for the quarter, they were really blow out earnings. They reported about sixteen billion dollars in that income. That's roughly six times what had been expected. A lot of that came from some of their investments in AI, including their stake in open Ai in particular. But as as you mentioned, they decided that they were going to sell their entire stake in Nvidia and take take the six billion dollars so that they can make other investments with it. Now, a big part of where they're going to put that money is into their Stargate venture, where they're building these AI data centers in the US, and they're going to buy in Vidia chips to put into those data centers. So partly Masioshi son is getting this cash so it can make investments in AI. Some people may be reading it as a negative sign for AI and for Nvidia in particular, but in fact he's going to use that need to make investments.
Speaker 2: Again, not unprecedented in Nvidia was a stock that Softbanks sold out of in twenty nineteen, and then in twenty twenty they started building up his stake again in some of those paper games have been to SoftBank's benefit. The issue is that management faced a lot of questions both about what.
Speaker 5: They're doing here.
Speaker 2: They're rationale what they're going to use the cash forward, but also are we in an AI bubble?
Speaker 5: Peter? What did they say?
Speaker 6: Yeah, there was one of the questions that came up. So Marcoshi Son doesn't do their earnings calls anymore. He stopped doing those a few years ago when he was taken arm public. But he has said a number of times that he regrets selling in video shares in twenty nineteen, as you referred to, those shares would have been worth more than two hundred billion dollars now, which is more than the market cap for a SoftBank at this point. But so the person who stubs in for him as the CFO, Yoshimisi Goto, and he talked through these issues. He did get some questions about the Invidia shares. He said, it's not that they don't believe in Nvidia anymore. He also got the question you're referring to are we in an AI bubble? And he said it's hard to tell at this point. Not quite the same kind of conviction you would hear from Sam Altman or from Jensen Wong, but he's realistic about we're not really sure where we are in this cycle. But to be clear, Masieo Sheson is going to keep making investments.
Speaker 3: Peter Elstrom breaking it down, We thank you so much. Let's talk about where we are in this cycle. Because Core Weave shares, as Ed pointed out earlier, under pressure. That's after it lowered its annual revenue forecast due to delay it a third party developing a data center really overshadowed impressive growth in revenue in order backlog. Let's get straight to it with Core Weave CEO Michael and Trader. How frustrating is it that you don't own your entire supply chain? How much of an issue is some power you have to give to third parties?
Speaker 7: Oh so, look, look, I think it's important to understand that every single part of this ecosystem is dependent upon other parts of the ecosystem. Nobody controls the entire supply chain, and that's just the nature of doing business at this scale on projects that are as complicated as whether it's you know, you know, the the design and architecture of the chips, through the fabrication of the chips, through the building of the data center, through the concrete that has to go into the data center. Like it's just, you know, like it's really hard to even contemplate a world in which you have true control over every aspect of it. And so you're going to work with partners, and you're going to work with good partners that are able to help you.
Speaker 8: Drive your business forward.
Speaker 3: Is this a good partner who's had issues at this PowerShell level?
Speaker 7: Yeah, Look, they are a good partner, right, Like, we've been working with these guys since twenty and eighteen.
Speaker 8: There there has been a stumble.
Speaker 7: There's an issue. The issue is going to be cleaned up rapidly. But I wouldn't say that they're not a good partner. I think that, you know, we are. You know, we've gone back and contracted with them again and again, and you know they've contracted with us again and again because you know, we do work well together. It's just you know, occasionally you hit a bump in the road. You know, what we're talking about here is a contract that gets pushed back by you know, uh one quarter, let's say, and that the impact of that on our revenue is a delay of revenue, not a loss of revenue. And uh, you know, I think that is the definition of working with.
Speaker 8: An ecosystem of good partners.
Speaker 5: Michael, good morning.
Speaker 2: Which customer was it pleased that was impacted by this delay?
Speaker 7: We don't speak to specific customers within the data centers.
Speaker 8: That's that's not how we look at it.
Speaker 7: But you know, we we we really are working with the whole you know, or a material part of the broader.
Speaker 8: Kind of.
Speaker 7: Ecosystem that consumes compute at this scale. So you know that that that's you know, there's a large project, it's from a large counterpart, and you know, like I said, you know they they understand, uh, the the impact of this delay and that they are.
Speaker 8: Shifting with us.
Speaker 7: The contract back to ensure that the total contract value that was being contemplated is going to be captured at this reilm.
Speaker 2: I thought you might say that, but I wanted to offer you the opportunity to explain who the customer was.
Speaker 5: Anyway.
Speaker 2: I appreciate this is going to sound a little bit like I work in your internal audit team or in your risk team, but there is a bigger issue here of managing third party risk as much as you can. So if your supply is tight today, what procedures are you putting in place for the event that your backlog doubles and supply is even tighter down the road.
Speaker 7: Listen, that's a that's a that's that is the question that we work on across our company continuously, right And if you, if you, if you think about the messages that I was trying to communicate.
Speaker 8: During the earning.
Speaker 7: Scroll yesterday, I talked about the incredible impact of the effort that we've had to diversify our clients. We started the year with you know, eighty five percent of our revenue to a single client, and we are coming out of the year with our back log with you know, which has reached you know, all time highs where no specific client is more than thirty five percent of it. And that is down from fifty percent even last quarter. So you're seeing tremendous progress on the contracting side, on the supply side, when you're looking at the powershells the data center providers, you know, there is no single provider of data centers that represents in excess of twenty percent of our two point nine gigawatts of power that we will be delivering to the market over the next twenty four months.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 7: So you're seeing a real focus by our company to diversify on both sides of the you know, the ledger, the clients that we are delivering infrastructure to as well as the suppliers that are delivering us the components that we need to be successful.
Speaker 3: What can be done Because we hear about power issues, we hear about how much.
Speaker 4: People maybe need government to help speed.
Speaker 3: Up contracts, supply chain headaches. What is it in this particular data center issue that won't be replicated down the road. How are you making sure or is it just something we are going to see time and time again do you think so?
Speaker 7: Look the way that we are handling this is we are doing several discrete things to ensure that we are future proofing ourselves against these type of delays.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 7: So, we have our team that has been built out over the past year that builds and delivers data center and so we have self build organization to be able to deliver our own data centers for instance, Kenilworth in New Jersey or Lancaster in Pennsylvania, where we are building from the ground up.
Speaker 8: Those skill sets.
Speaker 7: Being able to deploy those individuals with those talents down to the data centers as they're being constructed by third parties. If they encounter problems where we can be useful, helpful thinking through ways of solving and driving the process forward is really important to being able to mitigate these type of delays.
Speaker 8: We have massively.
Speaker 7: Diversified our data center providers so we're not exposed to any specific they say to data center provider.
Speaker 8: In too large of a component.
Speaker 7: And then the third piece of it is it's important to understand that as we get larger, as our delivered power gets larger, the relative impact of a delay at any one given site becomes less and less meaningful and less and less impactful on our.
Speaker 8: Run rate. And that's really important.
Speaker 7: Like you're encountering scaling issues within a company, that's encountering scaling issues.
Speaker 8: Within a supply chain, both of those will get better. Time solves that scale solves that we.
Speaker 3: Are currently seeing that time isn't particularly helping the share price. As we speak, it's now down fourteen point three percent, worst day since August.
Speaker 4: We are here with Michael and Trader across radio and TV, and.
Speaker 3: I want to sort of ask whether you think more broadly, the US is stunted by the supply chain headache, or do you think there is something that can be done from a federal perspective here to ensure that you can build at the rate you want to build you're not having these sorts of headaches.
Speaker 7: So we've been we and many others have been, you know, quite forceful in making the case that there is a role for government in helping us with some of the permitting issues, speed to which you can get our infrastructure and others can get their infrastructure attached to the grid. You know, all of those type of things where there's there's there's a great role for for for the government to help in that. They are the they are the organization or government entity that is correctly positioned to help facilitate that. And I think that's a great role where where government can lean in and make an impact across the space.
Speaker 2: Broble Michael, you have an agreement within NVIDIA that lots of people find very interesting that down the road, if there is spare capacity, there's some flexibility for you to deploy it elsewhere. That's a simple summation of it. But I'm wondering how you're thinking about serving some of the smaller AI labs and casting that net even wider in your customer base if indeed that capacity gets freed up down the line.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's a it's a contract. I'm actually incredibly excited about, right. It's a contract that we did within VideA where we will deliver them compute for the next six years. But in the contract is the capacity to interrupt the flow of compute to them, and that will allow us to repurpose that compute to new companies, startups, companies that have struggled to get access to the compute that they require to bring new companies, organizations, ideas into existence. And I think it's just an incredibly important component of how the infrastructure is so important to allowing the ecosystem itself, of these startups, of these new companies, of these new ideas to become more resilient, to become more scaled, And it's just a great contract for us to be.
Speaker 8: Able to position ourselves.
Speaker 7: It also provides this wonderful on ramp for us to be able to work with the new amazing companies that are coming into existence so that they integrate into our solution and get to make use of the best alternative that exists in the market as they're scaling their companies.
Speaker 2: Michael, it's finished to what extent is in Vidious still the gold standard in videous GPUs for your customer base and what data are you tracking on demand for those kind of more inferenced specific chips that are offered by others.
Speaker 7: So look, we have always been client led, right. Our clients come to market and tell us, hey, we would like you guys to help us build a cluster. We needed to be this size and this location and this type of network, and we work with them in a very kind of interactive way to ensure that the infrastructure that we're building is the best infrastructure for them, is fungible for us, like all of these type of requirements to make for successful delivery of infrastructure. Right now, the reality of the situation is the buy signals from our clients overwhelm our capacity to deliver infrastructure to the market. As a matter of fact, they overwhelmed the entire market's capacity to deliver infrastructure to the market. You have a systemic shortage of ability to deliver the GPU's the computing infrastructure for the buildout of artificial intelligence and we have never wavered from that position. We have been very very clear that you know, when we look at the demand signals coming into core Weave, the totality of that overwhelms the capacity of the market to deliver that, and will continue to do that for quite a while.
Speaker 2: Michael Intradeser, Core Weave CEO, thank you for coming back on Bloomberg tet. Okay, I'm also taking a look at shares of Nebus. This is the Neo Clouds spun out of Russia's Yandex A year ago. The USS shares down more than three percent, but in the quarter soul growth of three hundred percent year on year and has added a major contract with Meta. That's positive upside. Maybe this was a high bar kind of quarter where the market saw it coming in, But you know, Cara, I think you'd agree. Nebus name that's coming up more often in the context of hyperscalers and this case Meta using them for off ramped compute.
Speaker 4: All about the supply of AI infrastructure.
Speaker 3: But coming up, we steered towards earnings again, paramount s guidance raising its target though for job cuts and for cost saving measures we'll dig in next.
Speaker 4: This is a Blueberg Tech.
Speaker 2: Back to earnings with paramount Skuidance, which reported it's financial results for the first time since a new investor group took over in August. The company raised its target for job cuts and cost saving measures, and it's forecasting thirty billion dollars in revenue next year. Let's break it all down with Laura Martin's senior entertainment analyst at Needham. I don't know, like, hello, what's being cheered here? You know, sometimes cutting your way to profit and cutting your way into a good financial positions not the most exciting story. What is the Laura Martin main takeaway?
Speaker 10: Well, the Laura Martin main takeaway was I thought they left more questions unanswered than they answered. So I think one of the big questions is they just did an affiliated transaction with Oracle, which for Enterprise Software, which is the dad's company. So now you can, through pricing, move money between these two public companies. That sort of was weird. And then also they said they're going to spend a billion five on content and double their film slate from seven films a year to fifteen films a year starting in twenty twenty six. And the problem with that is the sky Dance track record is one theatrical release a year, so so going to five fifteen means not only are you spending the money on the negative cost, but now you're going to spend about one hundred million each marketing, which all just sounds like an awful lot of money that you're spending in the near term, which is a tax on public shareholders before you get the return. It takes about three years to release a movie between green lining and release, which means you have a couple of investment years ahead of you, which doesn't sound like you know, so we're going to stay on the sidelines here. In terms of the shares.
Speaker 3: I want to go back to that relationship between Oracle and the affiliated transaction that you mention, implying that the value can be transferred between the two public companies. How much is that help if we're thinking about the shar scale of money David Ellison needs perhaps from Larry Edison to keep on buying in WBD assets, or how much is it a concern just in what are you actually buying an entertainment company here or a tech an AI infrastructure bet so.
Speaker 10: I think that is one of the differentiated things they're saying is they're saying that our content storytelling is complementary to our tech stack, and our tech stack needs investment because Paramount, the old Paramount sort of starved it. So we p Sky are going to invest in the tech stack. So from a fundamental point of view, they're going to try to marry storytelling with Jenai tech, which is sort of a cool messaging although expensive in the near term. I would say the oracle point was just a new piece of information we got, having nothing to do with the Warner Brothers. Like if the dad writes a seventy billion dollar check to Warner Brothers, like you know, that's a bigger deal than a contract might be several million a year. So it was just an affiliated transaction that I just would really like to see the pricing on when they have to disclose it in a ten K. But this's just a new piece of information. I think the big issue is you don't know what you're buying here. Are you buying a sixteen billion dollar subscale Paramount sky Dance or are you buying a Are they going to use money to make a seventy billion dollar acquisition of all of Warner Brothers and then that's a hundred that's round numbers, one hundred billion dollars scaled player with bigger everything including studios. So then you wouldn't have to double the films because Warner Brothers got fifteen by itself already. So I think they might be justifying of warn Brother's bid in some ways with some of their cost estimates.
Speaker 5: Here, Laura, very quick pivot here.
Speaker 2: You just heard the cool weave interview, you published your research on hyperscale capex.
Speaker 5: Just a quick reaction to what you heard.
Speaker 10: Yeah, So, I mean, I think one of the big biggest question we get is are the hyperscaler spending too much money on infrastructure? And we published a note this morning showing that the JENAI implementations at Amazon, Meta, and Alphabet are accelerating their revenue growth and cutting their operating costs. So they're getting margin expansion by using generative AI tools, which gives them the confidence to invest in these infrastructure plays to then sell to third parties those same capabilities to lower costs and drive faster product innovation for the rest of the US economy. So I actually think that the biggest funders of generative AI infrastructure are seeing the biggest benefits already in their own businesses.
Speaker 4: Laur Martin on optimistic mode for the end.
Speaker 3: We really appreciate it always from Needham, keep coming back, thank you.
Speaker 11: The valuations don't look crazy, but they do if there's nervousness. Are on the growth story in and that's why I think the AI story, of which we do remain bullish, and we do think that there is a lot further to go, it is likely to be a volatile ride.
Speaker 2: That was Black Rocks Helen Jewels discussing the nervousness we're seeing in AI stocks right now.
Speaker 5: You can see that in nvideo and you can see it in core Wave.
Speaker 2: As we've been discussing all morning, the risks aren't only about lack of growth. Bloomberg opinion columnist Chris Bryant, writing about that there's a quote a danger of depreciation tsunami, links to the short lifespan of AI chips. His piece focuses on AI investors ignoring warnings from short seller Michael Berry. You can check that out on the Bloomberg terminal or dot com carac.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Now, though, ed, it's time for talking tech, and first up, Microsoft is planning to build a ten billion dollar AI data center the Portuguese coast.
Speaker 4: He's working with start.
Speaker 3: Campus, the Portuguese developer, and British startup Ndscale, one of Microsoft's biggest European investments this year. Plus, Intel's chief technology and AI officer Sajin Kati has left to join Open Ai, where he'll be working on the.
Speaker 4: Startups infrastructure efforts.
Speaker 3: Back in Intel, well CEO Lit Tan will take over Catty's role and reports on another major departure, Meta is set to lose its chief AI scientist, Jan Kuhn.
Speaker 4: According to Financial Times.
Speaker 3: Lacun is reportedly leaving to launch his own style up, focusing on what he calls world models, as in early talks with investors to raise funds.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to Bloomberg Tech if you're just joining us. Our top stories are coll Weave and Nvidio. In video down three percent, SoftBank is selling out of the entirety of it's almost six billion dollar steak in the company because it needs cash to finance his other AI ventures. The street not really seeing this as a concern about in video itself, but in aggregate taken with cor Weave's almost fourteen percent drop, there are some jitters in the market. Corweave is down after just slightly trimming it's outlook for sales in twenty twenty five because of a delay on a specific data center project that delayed trimbutable to a third party. And in an interview of the CEO earlier in the program, we didn't really get any answers on who the customer impact it is. But with time and with scale, such supply issues will go away. The market right now not buying it.
Speaker 3: Kra they're not, and let's stick in with the fact that the market's not buying it. Bloomberg Gecrity's reporter comm and Rhyinikey is here with us and it's interesting the jitters around AI of late have been around an AI bubble and demand concern but ultimately these are supply side issues. Constraints for cor Weave, maybe the cash constraints for Softbag and needings sell off in video.
Speaker 12: Yeah, it's really interesting how this has shifted really from the dip buying that we saw yesterday the drove and video up Corey we think was also up before the Bell before it reported its results, and now we're seeing really any concern on I their side, AI bubble or supply here is really weighing on these shares. I think as the AI theme just continues to get stretched, investors are nervous and they're really really ready to sell at kind of any moment, this especially coming before in video results next week. Obviously the whole market really looks ahead to that, but shares going down into in video results is a little bit different than what we usually.
Speaker 2: See, right Covin, you made a really good point, and I'm going to bring up a chart to illustrate it. Yesterday and Vidia jumped almost six percent, which was its biggest jump since early April.
Speaker 5: So a drop off of.
Speaker 2: Three percent or more in the session taken into account with the newsflow, give that context. Generally speaking, though, what is the sentiment of the investors that we're speaking to right now? Are they still like mega bullish on this long term trend that they think will just carry on and keep going.
Speaker 12: Yeah, that's a really great question. I think people are very split. But I hear a lot of people that are still very bullish on the long term trend and even say that some selling now or a little shakeout in the market would be pretty healthy. I mean, valuations are very stretched. We've we're three years into a bull run. These are some of the biggest stocks in the overall markets. That makes sense that they've drag down the entire index, so a little bit of a shakeout here wouldn't be a huge concern. Obviously, this is really overlaid though, with the fact that people are really talking about an AI bubble, and so I think any selling in any of these stocks, even you know, at the end of the year when people are sort of looking to lock in performance lock in gains it, you know, sparks more conversation around this entire debate about an AI bubble.
Speaker 2: Bloombos come and rhyanikay, thank you very much. Meanwhile, shares of Nokia and Ericsson close higher in European trading. Sources say the European Commission is weighing steps to push EU members to phase out Huawei and Zte gear from telecom networks amid security concerns. More let's get out to Bloomberg's Illn Deutsch who joins us with the reporting. This is timely and this is very interesting. What do we learn in the course of reporting about how serious this move is to push Huawei out of the market, That it is very strong in in Europe.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I think it's actually really important to note. People do not realize that there's still so much Huawei Kit in various EU countries infrastructures, and the European Commission for years has wanted to push U countries to stop using this technology across their networks.
Speaker 4: They have really failed to do so.
Speaker 13: And the new Commission that came in two years ago, they're doing a new push. They're going to try to get different EU countries to push out force out Huawei and ZTE. Now I cannot orderstate how difficult this is going to be. Like I said, the previous Commission tried to do this and they did not have the political backing. Things like critical infrastructure, are things like national security. These are left up to the member states of the EU. So essentially what has to happen is these countries will have to come together and say yes, actually we're going to hand over that power to Brussels, to the European Commission to make that reality. That is a tough pill for a lot of countries to swallow.
Speaker 3: Countries such as in your piecing make clear Spain, Greece, which have remained relatively dependent interestingly UK. We know that they've been pulling away for long time, banned any Huawei infrastructure, similar with Sweden, so it can be done. It's interesting that Chinas sort of tried to point out that it slowed those nations down there.
Speaker 13: Yeah, it's a great point, Kawlin, because you know a lot of the operators and independent analysis has been done to show that actually by forcing a strip out of Huawei from the UK networks, that delayed.
Speaker 4: Five year roll by up to two years.
Speaker 13: This is a very costly ambition from certain countries if they want to go ahead with this kind of push. Not only does it delay possible you know, technology development, it also comes at a great cost to the operators. So if you look at Germany, for example, some people in the government are examining ways that. Okay, if they were to try to force Huawei and ct out of their networks, could they compensate operators not Obviously would soften the blow for a lot of these operators, but this would commit a great cost then to governments.
Speaker 4: If not readers.
Speaker 3: Jinaen Deutsch's great read, we urge people to go take a read of it, thank you very much. Indeed, let's take a look at crypto more broadly right now, because we want to put it into the world a bitcoin. It's too seeing some risk a version selling. Today we're off by two percent one hundred and three thousand. Remember it remains below its moving average targets, so one hundred day moving average for example, at one hundred and ten thousand. It remains trading below that. People fearful they won't be seeing any sort of breakout. We're seeing Gemini space station though Gemini, of course crypto Exchange went public recently off by fifteen percent. That's after its earnings just showed that perhaps they're not managing to ramp into any sort of profitability as soon as people have maybe hoped. Let's bring in Blomberg senior crypto rewarter Olga Karaf, who can dig into the Gemini story because they were a beneficiary of the changes in regulation in the United States.
Speaker 4: But why did it underwhelm on the quart of just reporting.
Speaker 14: So, like you said, the Winkle West twins that founded Gemini, they have been very strong supporters of President Trump and a lot of crypto companies with public this year as we've seen sort of deregulation and more favorable regulatory environment towards the industry. But the fact of the matter is that the company, Gemini, is unprofitable and some analysts basically don't expect it to become profitable until two or three years from now. And what we've seen in this quarter is that the losses widened partially because of this ideolic related expenses and marketing expenses. But people are wondering, sort of, what about profitability, when is that going to come?
Speaker 2: Alger It's good to see Dan Chen, the CFO, talked about this the expenses issue and it being strategic for those that have never come across Gemini. What's the business model on paper? Just explain the basics of how it supposed to function, because then that will make the loss probably more digestible.
Speaker 14: Sure, so it's a crypto exchange, So their biggest rival is coinbase here in the US, and essentially they make their money about half of the money off of trading fees as people trade bitcoin, ether and other cryptocurrencies. And then they also have other businesses such as you know, their credit cards have actually been on a roll and they've been able to grab a lot of new users through credit cards that essentially allow you to earn crypto rewards as you spend money. They also have a custody business and some other.
Speaker 2: Businesses looms, Olga grief, Thank you very much. Now coming up on the program, Ali Barber's Singles Day is underway and this year AI isn't an option for shopping.
Speaker 5: We got more on that. Next, this is Bloodbag Tech.
Speaker 4: China Singles Day.
Speaker 3: It is underway now in its seventeenth year, but shifting consumer habits and he fears price war. They've dourned the one day shopping blitz into a weeks long campaign. Bloomberg TV's chief North Asia correspondent Stephen Engel really examines China's involving consumption trends amid a tougher economy.
Speaker 15: Influencer peddling is all the rage in China online, of course, but now more than ever before on the actual trade fair floor as well, where rapid fire hawking of product over multiple mobile phones direct to China's billion plus consumers has never been this well in your face.
Speaker 5: I mean, I don't know how they talk so much.
Speaker 15: Everything you possibly need to know about Vietnamese and other products from overseas doesn't matter if it's New Zealand milk powder and ice cream, or Italian cleaning supplies complete with a Mandarin speaking European oh your bow mouth. They're all competing for Chinese cyber shoppers. In a market where around forty percent of all retail sales are now done online.
Speaker 8: A single days eleven eleven is huge.
Speaker 14: We have a strong presence on online platform and we have a strong focus on gen Z.
Speaker 3: I know think as they had another few more weeks Togo, but so far the result has been very, very encouraging.
Speaker 15: Online shopping in China is growing at three times the pace of traditional retail, with many brick and mortar outlets feeling that pain. CPI did pick up slightly in October, but overall retail spending is expected to have slowed again as households hold on to savings amid economic uncertainty. Add to that are lingering worries importers and exporters here feel about the fragile trade trups with the United States.
Speaker 16: High terriffs are hurting everybody, hurting both sides. One of the things that as businesses we do hope is that there is longer than a fourteen month detent, shall we say, but that there is some general baseline of the relationship. These are areas we're going to trade in. These are areas that are no go. This is kind of a gray area where we'll keep negotiating on because that would help us all to your point, really understand what we can move forward. And if I do want to have a five year contract with an American supplier, I know, no matter what, I'm going to get that product.
Speaker 9: I think it's been critically important that we have clarity.
Speaker 15: US wine experts to China this year were down seventy seven percent in the seven months through July from a year ago, with Chinese tariffs and taxes combined amounting to about seventy five percent on American wine, and yet Barrows is cautiously optimistic for recovery as the truce has kept tariffs from escalating further.
Speaker 9: It was a very very positive development that they came up with an actual number that's going to be in place for the next fourteen months, because before that, I think a lot of importers weren't so upset about the tariff. It's they didn't know what it was going to be, and so now we know what it's going to be, at least through the end of December of twenty twenty six, and I'm hoping that that brings some normalcyback into the process.
Speaker 15: It's an endurance game shared in some respect by the many influencers in nearby booths to keep talking, to keep the parties on the other end engaged. Steven Angel, Bloomberg News Gender.
Speaker 2: We stay with Single's Day this year if Ali Barber artificial intelligence takes center stage as the company pushes out AI driven search results. Deborah wind Swig, Coresite Research CEO says, quote winners going forward up brands investing in AI driven personalization. The retail playbook now blends tech trust and instant gratification commerce. Deborah whine six joins us now Deborah, that report from Steven Adam Mainland China fascinating learning about sort of the scale of the event. But will zero in on Ali Barber and where AI is or isn't making the difference. What's your assessment about where they stand in that market, which he just outlined is pretty chaotic at the moment.
Speaker 17: Well, first, thanks for having me on. Second, as we look at Ali Baba specifically, I would say that last year they were dipping their tone in the water and this year, they're in kind of up to their thigh as it relates to AI and the shopping experience. So starting at the very beginning all the way through there or kind of the PDPs or the information behind all of the images on the website to what you've bought previously, is that they serve up products you are more likely to purchase. But it's all EI driven and it's highly personalized in a very short period of time, so that return rates are dropping, which is a positive because you're buying more of what you want, and it's also much easier to do the research you need and that you want to do in order to find the perfect gift for others or for yourself.
Speaker 2: Debra, we actually had some headlines how to China Cross since we came on air. Shao Me's single day sales exceed twenty nine billion yu want, which if my maths correct, is just slightly above four billion US dollars. That show me, what do you make of that number and put show Me's success in singles day into context or what you just told us about Ali Baba.
Speaker 17: Yeah, we've continued to hear from a lot of Western brands that their sales are exceeding expectations, and I think what they're learning from that is to think about how to bring some of those learnings back to the US. But this idea that the consumer can find and buy, and when you think about like show me right, this idea that the consumer and this was actually one of the probably key areas of interest is that they call them like AI toys, but like AI toys have been one of the hottest categories, that and beauty, and so the Shami numbers I would say probably are a little higher than we would have expected, but that's the trend that we're seeing, and you know, we believe that'll continue to strengthen.
Speaker 3: Chaomi makes AI toys on wheels, cars, but also ones that you have in your hand. How much you seeing at the moment the luxury perspective though, because Shami has been on the hills of a tesla and everyone's thinking about the amount of market share that these local domestic players are now taking the world of ev and of course phones, but relatively luxurious products to be spending on. Where do you see just general consumer appetite right now?
Speaker 17: That's a great question and we've done a lot of research on this. So what we're starting to see is a I would say, a strengthening at the high end, But when it comes to let's say basic essentials. Going back to this idea of research and how much easier it is to find product. Consumers are i would say, being increasingly frugal on everyday necessities and then looking to treat themselves. So I would say AI is helping them get smarter. But we are i'd say, probably earlier than many people expected. We are starting to see a strengthening in the high end.
Speaker 3: What are they buying in terms of AI wearables? And they're like, I'm seeing oring and ordering. There's lots of new cove competises on the market here in the United States, but I can only imagine the raft of options you got to purchase over in China right now.
Speaker 17: I mean, we're seeing really interesting things on the wearable side, like bracelets and pins and whatnot. Other kind of like even health sensing, body sensing. Can you find your your mate depending on right the you know you're you're kind of the electromagnetic field that you're like. It's it's really really interesting in terms of how it really is. They're toys to make your life more fun. But also better and I think going back to this idea around data from a healthcare perspective, that's it increasingly important and we're seeing it drive improved results for consumers as well.
Speaker 2: The data sets that you're tracking, even from this this year's event and prior years, if you've got any assessment of like the investment these companies have to make to get a payoff, like how committed they are to winning, what you've outlined very clearly is a bit of a scramble to get consumers who are making very conscious, proactive spending choices.
Speaker 17: So therein lies the that is like the question of the day, and one of the biggest differences between the Western consumer and the Chinese consumer is you know this isn't like you know you're clipping coupons, Well, I guess you're clipping them, but digital And as we're seeing it go into the end of the double even shopping season, how the couponing, right, it goes back to it's adjusting in real time. So if retailers and brands aren't seeing the desired outcomes, they're able to change it in real time. Right. These aren't like marketing plans built out six twelve eighteen weeks ahead of time, and therein is why I think we're going to see a much stronger double eleven season than we have in the past. And those retailers like Lululemon is in you know, the minds of the Chinese consumers. That's the local brand because they've really embraced this and they did have to invest of course early on, but now they're reaping the rewards of that investment. And so that's like Lululna and Loreal. Those are some just great examples of brands right, so European brand and US brand or Nadian brand technically North American brand of companies who have invested and as a result they're seeing outsize rewards.
Speaker 3: Instant gratification. Commerce is the line on your note. We really appreciate it. Thank you, Debrah Weinswig for joining us. Of course, like research coming up, Oracle co founder Larry Ellison gets more employees on his supervision off to the company CEO swap.
Speaker 4: We'll discuss what that entails next. This is Broom, the tech