Speaker 1: Welcome to the Ravens Press Past podcast. It is Monday, August nineteenth. After practice today, we have a chance to hear from Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson.
Speaker 2: When you hear.
Speaker 3: About Mark Andrews, what comes out that he was involved in the carts and what kind of goods to your head would.
Speaker 2: Hear about that? Is she all right? You know?
Speaker 4: All type of things go through my head, like that's Mirk Andrews and just anybody you know, just being involved in an accident, especially if I know him.
Speaker 2: But he's good and that's all that matters.
Speaker 4: You know, God was with him, God always with him, and he's one hundred and that's all that matters.
Speaker 5: Hey, La, Mark, we saw your excitement and Marie Jones has on the touchdown.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how confident?
Speaker 5: Makes you feel too cold? With this good about quarterbacks and big talented for us.
Speaker 4: Actually, man, it's great to see you man, especially not knowing but what could happen on any given Sunday, any giving play, just to see a young guy just do what he did.
Speaker 2: It was amazing to see.
Speaker 6: Tom Brady and Dane Manning over the week and named you as one of their top five quarterbacks that are active in the.
Speaker 2: League right now. It's crazy.
Speaker 1: But just what's your reaction to that?
Speaker 2: That's crazy?
Speaker 4: Uh, that's dope, man, especially coming from those guys, the guys who's on top of the mount mountain rushmore right now for me at least, Uh, that's that's great. That's great to hit that from the goats man.
Speaker 7: Do you have any relationship with Jordan Love and are you looking forward to see him in Green Bay this week?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 2: No, I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't really have a relationship with I never met Jordan Love, but I'm looking forward to meet him.
Speaker 2: How important practice with Bay? The situation where a lot of.
Speaker 8: Your starters don't play at all in the preseason.
Speaker 2: What do you hope to get out of the Uh?
Speaker 4: Some competitiveness of just not going against my guys each and every day. Finally get to go against someone else.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 4: And especially that I'm not playing preseason. Just great to see how we how we are against other opponents.
Speaker 2: After the Houston Week.
Speaker 10: One game last year, you kind of came out and said you had knock off some of the rust.
Speaker 5: What are you.
Speaker 10: Doing this year that you think might make you maybe more ready to go or less rusty than that week?
Speaker 2: One game Kansas City.
Speaker 4: Uh, I think I wasn't a hurt too when I came up. When I came back, Like when I came back, I was like coming off of injury and everything right, I'm actually because I don't really remember what.
Speaker 2: Uh. I believe that's why I was rusty.
Speaker 4: You know, I didn't play so long and then I had to miss I miss preseason and stuff. But I think I'll be good good this going around.
Speaker 2: No doubt.
Speaker 4: I've been on my guys, you know, day one, since day one, and we've been better at chemistry and I feel like we've been looking pretty good.
Speaker 2: So I think I'll be ready. What do you think?
Speaker 6: What do you kind of address the progress of the offensive line? You know, there's a lot of new pieces in and out, Like how's it coming along from your vantage point? What do you see from how your offensive line is shaping on you?
Speaker 4: But my guys coming along very well, young guys, very young group. I think this is probably the youngest group I've been a part of since I've been in the league. And God are coming along well. You know, we got running at the tackle, We got Tyler. Those guys are the leaders of the line right now. And we just gonna keep stacking and keep getting better sort of camp.
Speaker 1: Uh, you got a lot of questions about you know, losing weight coming in and training camp and all that. As you've made your way through camp, is there a difference that you feel like, what, what is the biggest thing that stands out?
Speaker 2: I guess I got a lot more energy. Yeah, I'm not fatigued as much.
Speaker 4: If I'm running like thirty yards down the field, I can come back and just be like me like a robot, even though I'm not a robot.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I'm feeling good. I just feel better a lot a lot better point in camp?
Speaker 10: Or are you kind of ready for the regular season or do you stuff the worst got in the works?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 4: You know, it's always things to rick on, but I'm definitely ready for the season. You know, it's been a great off season for us and tired of going against my guys.
Speaker 2: Uh, looking forward to ship fifth?
Speaker 3: Are you going to have you mentioned about, you know, getting off to a fast guard just the second year and the Kosmogan is offen you feel like the difference and just how much do you feel like that's gonna make a different.
Speaker 2: The last year after ye? Uh, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, Like you said, it's just me being a part of this system, run into my second season, having a whole off season, uh, and just building with the with our guys chemistry and uh listening to coach and seeing what his vision is for the offense.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 2: I feel like this year it'll be different. It's going around or pre season. You're not to take us a snap. Are you comfortable with that or is that still something you might want to Like I might have.
Speaker 4: Want to have had a snapper to You know, I'm very competitive, so sometimes I do be like, man, I want to go play, But at the same time, Uh, I know our coach is keeping us off the field, and I'd rather just play regular season than just going out there and things happen.
Speaker 8: You know, I mentioned chemistry and if you build that is it? Do you want not to look forward to testing that chemistry against another team, because again, they know your routes every year every day. Is that is that really key to figure out really where you are? Chemistry? Was going against the Packers?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 4: Not necessarily just seeing how my guys are against other opponents and not just going against the same guys over and over, because I believe our difference, learn our tendencies and learn our moods, you know, just going repetition every each and every day, you know, so just going against these guys.
Speaker 2: We'll see how guys are.
Speaker 8: How much intosivision do you have for seeing Derek debut?
Speaker 10: I mean, obviously you don't know what you can do, but just seeing him go full contact.
Speaker 4: I believe you guys looking forward to seeing Derek instead of me, you know, cause y'all asks me about him every time I'm up here. But I'm definitely pumped up too, man, you know, just to see this guy do what he's been.
Speaker 2: Doing, you know, uh, since forever.
Speaker 4: I'm just ready to I'm I'm just glad he's on our side this time, like I always tell y'all, you know, and we not going against him, but I'm ready.
Speaker 2: I'm hype. I'm definitely hype.
Speaker 3: We saw your naking for about ten minutes ago and come back or are you doing okay?
Speaker 2: So I'm good, I'm wonderful. I'm great. I'm good.
Speaker 3: How like the time in the hostel, I'm working together, so you constantly to community, what do you think you last year?
Speaker 6: Ah?
Speaker 2: Man, we were gonna be better than last year.
Speaker 4: You know, I felt like our chemistry last year was pretty good as well, But that's just all my receivers. I'm always trying to get our chemistry down. Pap tight ends, running backs. It don't matter cause those guys who are that Withn't you know, so don't really matter. But Nelly he big bro, so you know, just trying to get a little knowledge from him and stuff like that.
Speaker 7: You talk about going up against the defense, what's the number one thing that you've seen from this defense that you think will scare of posing offenses this year?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't know, because like all eleven just just great players, you know, all around. Our defense is just so so different dynamic. I'm just glad I'm not going against him in in real time. Just practice, be.
Speaker 10: Faster, being more elusive, now a lower ways. Do you feel that now? Have you felt that every course?
Speaker 2: I guess that's the answer. I guess that's the answer.
Speaker 4: Hey yeah, uh last week one of the guys, I was running the ball through the window, through the hole or whatever, and the guy tried to pull me and I was just kept running. But I'm just gonna say a bear trap to fight men, I won how about that.
Speaker 2: Is it noticeable?
Speaker 10: Did you like increase like if you're if you're running fast, just like did you pick up on that?
Speaker 2: No, not really.
Speaker 4: I just got a outround my opponent and I'm just cruising after that. I'm not really trying to do a hundred meter dash. I just beat whoever chased me.
Speaker 2: That's all.
Speaker 10: Josh Johnson completed every past he threw last weekend.
Speaker 2: That's expected from Josh. O G. That's definitely great.
Speaker 4: Actually, the first time Josh was here with us a couple of years back, I was so hyped to have him, you know, just from just learning and knowing the uh type of offenses he's been in, and just hearing him speak and how he learned ball and how he know ball. It's incredible for me to uh be in a room with a god like him.
Speaker 1: In addition to Lamar, we also heard from head coach John.
Speaker 9: Hartball, Okay, appreciate you guys coming out. Good work day for us, And we're getting pointed toward two things. We're pointing towards Green Bay, but we're also pointed toward the opener in Kansas City. What questions you have.
Speaker 3: How do you try to get I mean practice, practice.
Speaker 9: Get ready for season. Well, you know we want to start the season off well, I mean we want to we want to put our best foot forward right out of the right out of the gates as much as we can. There's it's hard to do. There's no guarantee you're going to do that, and there's a lot of question marks to that. Every year we have done well over the years doing that because I think we practice well. It comes down to practice. I mean, practice is what makes it. Preseason games don't make break you that way. It's the practices that make you because that's what you stack. There's advantages to practicing. You see teams do it like the Chiefs, for instance, They've always done it all the way back, all the way back to Andy in ninety nine. They've always done it. And then you know, we'd done it for a while and we haven't done it the last few years. So you can do it either way. And that's the way we're doing it this year. Going back to Saturday night right and lant it in that first half ran as many boots as I've ever seen.
Speaker 8: Can you give us a little bit of insight into the relationship.
Speaker 9: Can you and Zach and what you're talking about in terms of trying to get that stopped as you see it play after play that yeah, I mean, the boots really want a problem. It was his own play actions with the deep over routes that gave us the trouble off the play action mostly I think mostly in the second half really, but those deep over routes, those what we call burner routes with a pope with a top off or clear out run on top of it. That's just execution in terms of getting our linebackers popped out underneath there or nickel. We were in zone on a few of those and that stuff on zone plus get into the quarterback. But it's it's just more about right now, it's less about scheme and more about you know, calling our basic defense and having our guys execute them and be physical and see who who can play and where we need to work. That's really what it's more about. In the preseason. Then, trying to stop something with some kind of a scheme doesn't mean you don't get mad, you do, you get upset. I mean, we want everything stopped. We don't want the ball to be run on us. Ever, that's probably our biggest thing and but right now we're also trying to get guys ready to play and see who can play.
Speaker 10: John, you said, you know ideal you like had the offensive line of your grounds, the open spots after the first few weeks kind of close.
Speaker 9: Are you to make him a decision?
Speaker 2: Craft?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think we're close. I think we have a pretty good idea what what way it's trending in different areas. It's not altogether solidified, but we'ren't a good place right now.
Speaker 5: Training cam to for preseason games probably is difficult for you to make a decision with running you know, running backs and blackfield and wide receivers is a good problem to have to make this final.
Speaker 9: Decision you're talking about like the last few roster spots. Uh, yeah, I mean you want to have guys competing for those last few spots. You certainly don't want to be scouring the waiver wire. You want to have guys here that you want to keep on the team, and you want to have a few more than you might be able to keep on the team. That's that'd definitely be the idea. So we're probably in that situation. But still there's guys who have something to prove. Still and this last week Green Bay practice, green Bay game is gonna matter.
Speaker 8: John, What have you learned over the years and the joint practices to get the best the most out of them.
Speaker 9: Mat Yeah, I mean it's just the mindset of the two teams is the most important thing. If both teams come in with the same idea that they're they're two good football teams. Are trying to take advantage of the of the opportunity to practice against another good football team and get a good football practice in. That's what you want. If a team's coming in like they're trying to prove something, you know, some some junior high thing, then you know it's usually not good. So we're we're excited to go against Green Bay. We think they're that kind of a group, you know, the good football team right there, you know, almost in the AFC Championship game. Proven team. So we're looking forward to the opportunity to go practice against those guys.
Speaker 3: Asked about Tyler lind obaum in a bit.
Speaker 10: Is he resting?
Speaker 6: Well, how's that going on?
Speaker 9: Yeah, he's right on schedule, just kind of where we were planning. He will won't be any kind of contact work this week, but he's Uh, he's in all the uh the act practices that we do. He's been doing all that, so he's in a good place. John.
Speaker 7: We know you've designed new returns and covered skins and kickoffs. How much, if at all, have you incorporated defensive gapping principles and offensive blocking principles into that?
Speaker 9: And it's more than yeah, uh no, more than the past. I mean that's always been what you try to do. You just don't have to. The thing it's eliminated is the deep long drop, you know, so you're teaching basically where to get set up a lot more in the past on the run. Now it's now you basically stand there and you see the ball in the air. So it kind of gives you an idea what your what your geometry needs to be on the play. But it's always defensive gap principles and offensive scheme principles and scheme fits. So uh, it's just it's not exactly like the offensive defense, but the principles are the same. To your point, Coach chapter an.
Speaker 8: Injury again his frame just through two preseason games, what have you seen for.
Speaker 9: Them so far? In yeah, you know, I'll tell you bo Is he has he has he has dealt with a few injuries, but quiet until we got him in a rookie skit. Then he wasn't quiet anymore. He's funny, so that was fun to see his personality even more. But yeah, he's he's he's stepped up, he's made he's covered well, but he's also made some hits. That's what I've enjoyed seeing both in defense and special.
Speaker 8: Teams snaps today. Have you seen this development season? The development guys kiss.
Speaker 9: You know, he made a big move this last week. He finally I think his ankle's feeling better, finally had the ankle injury there, and uh, he probably did hamper him up until now. And he really he played well in the game. He was he was he was stout at the point of attack, and I had an opportunity because of Tyler not practicing and we wanted to get Ben some reps of guard. He had an opportunity to get in there and and do some stuff. So I thought he did a good job today, and he did a good job in the game.
Speaker 8: Mark Andrews progression, Okay.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's a very minor thing, very mind with I'm just not we were just not messing with him. Right now. Don't worry about Mark. He's gonna be fine.
Speaker 2: Is he going for the.
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean I like it. I just said, don't worry about him. It's like, oh, no, they can't travel to Green Bay. That would be a problem. It's like a follow up question. You know, she'd have been a prosecutor. I want to tell you gotta go to law school though, that's a problem.
Speaker 2: From what.
Speaker 9: Uh No, the guys though, you could ask the guys, Yeah, they could do better than I could add it.
Speaker 2: They were funny.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Ravens Press Past podcast makes you hit that subscribe button. Also head over to the Lounge podcast feed and subscribe to that channel as well. Thank you so much for listening. We'll talk with you again tomorrow.