Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to the Overland Journal podcast. I'm your host Scott Brady, and I am here with Cyrus Scooter Anderson, longtime friend. This is awesome to have you on the podcast with me today. I mean we have known each other. It's got to be close to twenty years now.
Speaker 2: Yep, our show. He just so fortunately found a motorcycle that was identical to mine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's right. We had a mutual love for ktms at the time. And just for the audience, one of the things that I have always so enjoyed about you is that you have found a way to dive in professionally for a chunk of time and then you exit out of whatever it is that's of interest to you at that point in time, and then you go off and you see the world and you've done some incredible adventures. Maybe we'll just kind of kick it off with what do you think was your most ambitious of all of your of all of your trips to give the context, because you had like that seven Continent seventh Summit idea, Like, let's talk about and then let's introduce your son here.
Speaker 2: Who are you? Cyrus?
Speaker 1: Hey, Cyrus, thanks for being on the podcast. Buddy, you enjoying doing a road trip with your dad? Yeah, that's night.
Speaker 2: I ate so much that.
Speaker 3: My commute was so big. Yeah that Yeah, that's me both most days, buddy.
Speaker 2: And don't forget you wanted to just go camp in the middle of nowhere last night when you had a nice place to be. He's got you.
Speaker 3: Do you know how cool your dad is? By the way, no thumbs down. I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's pretty I get it. Man, at your age is pretty hard to know how cool your dad is. But your dad is really cool. He's done a lot of travel around the world.
Speaker 2: And that from Talladega nights. You ain't nothing but bones. You know.
Speaker 3: We're all just a bag of bones trying to make it work.
Speaker 1: Huh. So tell me tell me about your favorite trip. Where's your favorite adventure been this one?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And if I remember, you've already been to South America. Whor else have you been in the world?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: You lived in Taiwan, We had a Delica van.
Speaker 3: Oh, nice, in India. Nice.
Speaker 2: Well, we're about to go to Canada this summer, so it's yeah, we've got some good little runs. It's been a lot of domestic stuff. Tell them about like last summer when we went down the river in Idaho and then you you hitchhiked our way back up with a jet boat. Yeah. I was like half a million dollars.
Speaker 1: That's that is a pretty sweet jet boat. Well do you do you have some advice for people that are getting started in travel?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 1: What advice would you give to people about traveling? Never ever, never ever give up? That's a good one. That's a good one. There you go.
Speaker 3: Do you feel like you're chasing your dreams? Buddy? Yeah, you're going to though. I can see it in your eyes.
Speaker 2: A building.
Speaker 3: Oh that's cool. And what would you have in the building? A horse? Cars? Got it? Okay?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: Horses? Cars?
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, that makes sense. I can see you want. I mean, I think that's pretty much everybody. Most of the people that I know, their dream is to have a building with lots of cars, with lots of horsepower.
Speaker 2: He is all about horsepower. Yeah, he wants to go fast. What do you think, sy, Do you have any other adventures you want to share? How about snow cave camping? How about boats? Can I do a shout out two people?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you should do a shout out.
Speaker 2: A shout out to my dad and we go.
Speaker 3: And ever, I love you.
Speaker 2: I love you, Bud. We're proud of you.
Speaker 3: I love that. Well.
Speaker 1: I think that's I think it's pretty cool that you're on a road trip with your dad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and if my mom was.
Speaker 1: Here too, Yeah, that would be pretty'd be pretty awesome. You guys could all do it together.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you. He when he was born in Argentina, he got dual citizenship, right, so he has a tie to there. And he was on the front of a motorbike one of the first times with me, just buzzing around and about he says, keep going, keep going, very end of it. He'd already planned out a fourteen day motorbike trip with mom and dad Roe Argentina and where we're going to go. Well, anyway, you don't think so I did not plan did you plan out? Okay, never mind, I guess it was my imagination, idiot.
Speaker 3: Okay, good job, buddy, Yeah, nice work.
Speaker 2: But thanks for saying hi, and you can say ay longer. He was asking some I don't know if you know about some of the trip's dad's been on the see photos you always want to go to art adventures and there were also adventures I did before you came along. You believe that? Can you believe that Scott was asking about one of them? If you slow go faster?
Speaker 3: There you go. That's good advice.
Speaker 2: We've now watched Teldega Nights I bet fifteen times.
Speaker 3: There's some evidence to that. Does that sound pretty good?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Are you the first kid on the Journal podcast?
Speaker 1: He's one of the first. We've only we've only had a couple a couple of kids on. We need to have more, for sure, because kids know a lot more than imagination what we forgetting, you know, Yeah, I mean, like what a what a great reminder of Like to him, the trip that he's on is the best trip he's ever done, and that how many times have I screwed that up? Where either I'm thinking about a trip that I did years ago or I'm already imagining the next trip that I'm going to go on and not be in present. Yep, in the one that I'm currently enjoying, it should be enjoying. So good good reminder there, for sure, it really is.
Speaker 2: And I'm excited to see it continue rolling on. I'm curious what direction you'll send us out of here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's lots of places.
Speaker 2: Again, we've already done kind of the trains, planes, automobiles. Getting here right out of Seattle onto the plane. It was literally a forty four dollars ticket straight into here, right, so amazing, kind of red eyed night time. And I forgot our gaz a teer books of course, hit those up, grab what I can, and then we're we will just see right, it's it's whatever you're led to. You got a number of friends and places, and those places we don't know yet, and that's the element that I guess we're going for.
Speaker 1: Well, and it seems like it's about time together, so it really doesn't matter where you end up, so just having having a little adventure together. But well, let's dig let's dig in a little bit into you know what, what kicked you off on that kind of seven continents, seven summits idea, because that was I mean, that was I remember that being so inspiring to me of like, wow, you're right, you should dream big, you should dream as big as you can. And how far did you get into that project and what did you experience along the way.
Speaker 2: It was around the time I met you that I was a year out from conceiving the idea yeah. It was originally when i'd resigned from AG edwards and was eighty hour week into ibanking. Had a transition in life going in terms of you know, partner from Europe who'd gone back home, and I was thinking, well, what is it I want to do? And I strapped an old low backpack I'd got when I was about thirteen years old. It was already starting to get krusty on a number of different bikes, and ended up through the America's Africa, you know everything from kl rs to XR six hundred was an amazing bike that needed some valve work toward the end because of some foolish decisions on oil changes in Bolivia and then you know again like the tried and true in Africa, things like that. And along the way on that XR I ended up around the base of Acancagua. I had a killer feathered friends bag that I had gotten on a pro deal years before running this outdoor program at university. I went to and I said, hey, with a good bag, you can kind of do what you need. Right, Let's just see here, we'll make the gamble and I bet all figure this out. Because I didn't have the best tent and anyway, I make it to where I purchased half a mule of food, right like medio mula, and I'm roll into base camp first night. There's a Taiwanese guy. He's going to climb the Seven Summits for a company called Autunas that he called the Coleman of Taiwan. Okay, and he's on that journey. He starts scoffing at me, look at your equipment. How do you think you're gonna make it to the top of this mountain with good sleeping bag but three season tent and no summit jacket.
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And I looked at him, and I'm not a big guy, but he's well, actually, now I think about it, he's probably the best tall as I am. But I gave him this kind of like, okay, skinny guy, how you're getting all that gear up the mountain?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And we teamed up and I helped him get stuff up to some of the higher camps, shared resources. I found a jacket and made it to the summit of that mountain with him, and he made a really cool article in the Taiwanese climbing magazine that I met this American. He says he's going to climb this, but how's he going to make it? And I guess my response was because I'm cute, and he made that the theme of the beginning and end of his article. They came together really nice, right, Taiwanese people. Later we went when Si was nearly a year old, his the family. We went and spent the winter in Hawaiian City, Taiwan, I call it Hawaii, New Zealand, China and Japan gate birth to a baby island. Right, Wow, when you had the revolution, all these people who had there that have a very interesting philosophy on how life can be lived. I think there's a really interesting respect for autonomy for certain things that I value. And anyway, so we climbed that mountain and he told me, well, what you would come up with something fun? You love this stuff? And I said, was anybody tried to ride all dirt between the highest point of every continent and an inter year adventure? And that's where I suppose it was conceived, And you were honestly a very large inspiration and keeping it going right that you know, the budget was huge, the push to continue, but also so huge that you got to have the right sponsors and different things. So at the time, I was jumping on a lot of five twenty fives and I had gone to look into pit crewing and spending some time with friends that were rally Pan America, the only American team that was doing the car when it was what I viewed as to right like real Africa. And I built that bike out where it had more sustainability for long term travel.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I remember you up the oil volume and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that actually was the five to seventy. So I stepped then next to this five seventy motor that of course now we know it's legendary in terms of one thousand hours. Don't even check the valves. And with the oil capacity thing you mentioned, it doubled the oil capacity I believe nearly through the frame rails. And I consulted with a lubrication SPA consultant who did things for Honda and KTM out of California, and I was curious about some of the how the loop of oil was actually circulating appropriately, but it did help. And it also it's one of those things with any vehicle, why not tap an area that you could dump three four leaders of oil in if something goes down and you could always drain it late. It gives you options. But yeah, so I started building that bike out and had access to a pretty good machine shop at a friend's Telemart binding company, C and CE machine and leads, and I modified some things, integrated it, and a lot of it came into that article that I'd love to make accessible again. One day that I thought to get came together really well.
Speaker 3: It was a great one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was wonderful. And I had gone up to alask actually on four wheels and kind of a combo of four wheels and two wheels, an over built seven to three powerstroke van that like fifteen fourteen thousand, A lot of them do Oh my god, it's burn and rubber. But that thing was fun. It had the front and rear wenches front. She was great, and I anyway ended up trying to integrate that part of the trip is like the beginning of then heading south and back to South America. And around that time, it was the fall after I met you. I also had a head on collision with a I won't name the company, but a major carrier, their big vehicle on the highway. They weren't watching, and I tore some rhomboids in my back and it took me about a year to get back on board with certain adventures and later guided a friend up awk in Cogwa. We got stuck in a storm for a number of days and so I was doing different sections of that trip, one of which I took the Husaberg five seventies. Safari had hooked me up with some big tank systems was at like eight point one gallons on four separate tanks. Wow, the integrated oil system. You know, some some really cool things. And I went south that trip only into the center of Central America and had a very interesting trip back up in that My timing was that okay, go home on this trip come back and I wasn't permitted to leave what became international space for five days with Mike as I had some very interesting extortion occurring with abugados, the attorneys, the order that wanted some payouts and anyway, Yeah, that trip over time, it fizzled, but the ambition was there. Yeah, and it's not to say it couldn't be completed.
Speaker 1: But the one of the one of the most incredible mountains in the world. I did not climb at Concogwa, but I do remember driving over the Andes and there's that one road that you can take between Argentina and Chile where you can see the summit if the if the conditions are right, and I just remember seeing that, and I'm like, that has got to be one of the most beautiful mountains on the planet. And it is known to be one of the most beautiful of the seven Summits.
Speaker 3: Just you know, it's like that perfectly shaped peak.
Speaker 2: It is. And imagine being up even spending days acclimatizing at say eighteen thousand feet roughly where Summits roughly right under twenty three, right, and you're looking down at the globe at the level, and those sunsets are something that's such magic. Yeah, And I've never witnessed something like what is up there at the right day, the right time. They're just in the biggest puffiest jacket yea. And yeah, those mountains are magical and just that combination of things. And I don't know if you had seen it was actually around the time I had gone for the second trip on Auchencogua, they did take the Husaberg five seventy, the highest point that a motorcycle was made on a little expedition. I've spoken with a number of them, and we were talking about trying to get some fuel injected bikes higher than the.
Speaker 3: Current world right of course, and they did.
Speaker 1: They go high on there's those volcanoes in somewhere in South America that they used to do those high altitude they.
Speaker 2: Did actually one of the peaks very close to auc and Cogua. But those volcanoes you're talking about. When I came through on the XR six hundred, I definitely had some vinegar in me. I was twenty six, twenty seven, overworked, passionate about you know, transition in life and where you are right and I took that XR as far as that jet would permit the higher altitude get and my guess is it was close to eighteen and a half.
Speaker 3: I don't know, that's very high.
Speaker 2: And that became a really painful experience in the sense that I ate alpaca meat in the nearby village. They it was off season and they permitted me to go with a radio and actually rent the hard boots I needed in the crampons alone, but there was one check in with the radio and at the time my Spanish had not advanced as it has in recent years, and I didn't want to make them worried, but I that brought now pack of me gave me some serious squirts.
Speaker 3: Oh no, I was leaving what.
Speaker 2: Looked like there was some sort of calev.
Speaker 3: They would have found you, They would have.
Speaker 2: Found me exactly. I never thought of it that way. Yeah, they would have. And that summit was right at twenty two. And I remember hitting twenty one and I was getting a mix of cerebral and pulmon area demon which I'd had minor versions of at different times, and ones helped off of the Grand Teeton because I was a little too ambitious leaving sea level. Yeah, I had friends that weren't. You know. The most painful of the two is cerebral, of course, because your skull is expanding and you can hear crackling. Anyway, I got down lower and it felt like did you ever see the movie Touching the Void?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, it was a little like that in the tent. Because I got back, energy was low, somehow loaded the motorbike and got down and out of there. And yeah the village, though returning there still wasn't good meat. Yeah, they're good food in general, and I had to load up again. And yeah, Bolivia at that time was one of the more chaotic countries I'd spent time in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's still fairly chaotic. Difficult to get fuel and all kinds of stuff. Maybe not so bad on a bike. They probably take some you know, some care of motorcyclists that come through, but people that are driving through in a truck, you can it could be hard to get fuel in that country, yes.
Speaker 2: And good quality products. Like I said, that's where the oil change. I thought, change oil. And remember, you know you're putting you could be putting in something that doesn't have the right tolerances and additives, and who knows, you know, if it's what led to in southern Argentinea. I mean I had to sell it for close to nothing. Yeah, but got something out of it, and we had a rental car and jetted back north again. And you know you start out in Africa next on something new amazing.
Speaker 1: Well, let we'll take a little pause on that story because we're going to continue with Africa in a minute. But one of the things I think is that people would find interesting and can learn from is, you know, talk a little bit about how you set yourself up professionally because you did M and A work mergers and acquisitions, you were helping family offices with acquisitions, you were working in banking. I mean, I'm probably got some of that wrong, but let's talk through a little bit about how did you set things up? Like how did you first realize like, oh, that could work for me? And then how did you set things up to be able to work for a couple of years and then literally go travel.
Speaker 3: The world for a few more years.
Speaker 2: How did you set that up at some level, I'd say spreadsheets, Yeah, as a geek, right, you can make great projections on many things. Numbers don't lie, right, And I'd say, though, one of the bigger takeaways from being someone who studied economics is the key term marginal propensity to consume. I always looked at it like, I'm not in this to break even. How am I going to create time and freedom? And I've experimented very broadly with it in terms of in recent years, I was able to find a very interesting, inaccessible piece of land that taxation is almost nothing. Those sorts of things sell for pennies on the dollar, and I just look at everything in terms of the arbitrage opportunity and getting positioned. Though I'd say for what my life ultimately has been able to become took keeping that low marginal propensity to consume and to have the diligence to see through your opportunity cost of is it by this burger when you know I can very easily And I mean in recent years I got a little tired of it, but hey, roadkilled deer.
Speaker 3: Even yeah, sure.
Speaker 2: Learn you learn what's there That often is even better. Right. It's about letting things find you as opposed to finding them yourself. And I find that in the chaos of the modern world, with as much as we make things really rapid fire, you don't have the ability, like most people are inefficiently entering spaces where they're not allowing for the WU way let's just call it, where those opportunities are sitting there in front of you. And every day you can almost reset your life if you allow yourself to take one browniean motion move, one random move that leads to that day having that intersection. And I'd say intersectionality except for it almost becomes politically using the term now, but like where you're going to have that intersection, it's going to lead to new things every day, and I'd say that, really, yeah, it just comes down to having the diligence to be around you. You look around yourself and say, what do I care about? And how can I allocate every ounce of resource into something that's going to bring me the greatest joy. I suppose, right, is the geeky economist element and.
Speaker 1: Again, and I watched you do that. I mean, I you know, I remember you know to your point. You know, I'm not going to spend money at this restaurant because that could be two days of travel. Yeah, legit, I'm going to ride a motorcycle that I bought, used and I did minimal modifications. Maybe I got some sponsorship because by not spending eighty grand on a full drive, I can travel for two years. And I watched you you do that time and time again where you're you were. So maybe purity is a part of it. And I think that that human beings can do that. They can stay they can stay very pure to a value or to a goal if they just get over the ego a little bit where it's like I don't have to have that fancy thing, or I don't have to spend that extra money on something that might signal something to the world, but it actually stands directly in the way of me achieving what I really want to experience in life. You know, you talked about that intersection of values that you experienced when you were in Taiwan. Why don't we dig into that a little bit. What are you finding after so many years of I wouldn't call you an ascetic, but you're definitely you're willing to be minimalist. You're willing to dig into some roadkill deer in order to provide the protein that you need to save yourself a ton of money. So talk a little bit about those intersections of values, how your experience has reinforced those values, and how you implement them in your life today.
Speaker 2: Sure the adventure that has come from I think that in answering your question, i'd bring up that in the middle of many travels, I started having some very interesting phenomena in terms of autoimmunity that resulted in, you know, at times being fully on cripple crutches where don't want to move. Inflammation from the insides like a little nuclear bomb. Right. That slowed me down to a level that I could appreciate things even at the next level that at times, I mean, I don't know. I keep my cripple crutches pretty handy. Sometimes I'm great, sometimes I'm not. And I'd say that there has been an interesting walk into being someone who, you know, I had an interesting upbringing in Jackson Hole, where my mother came from a good family but was orphaned called good family and met my dad in the early twenties to buy one thing that was meaningful, which was a place to raise children in a beautiful place where they had a little farm. And I witnessed my mother's health drop off. And I was always very motivated to hustle and you know, work hard. And I sort of witnessed my dad that guy who did whatever he had to do, and I saw the trade off. One of the harder things was being a thirteen fourteen year old kid who'd been working for years for his black belt in taekwondo night that the testing was coming through with one hundred bucks for the testing, you know you're going to get it, or a hundred bucks is actually going to lead to some cool things our family can use. Yeah, And I made that decision, and I think it's if you fast forward into life I've at times I try never to have any regret. The worst thing you can do is carry regret. But I try to end up in a position that if I can look forward, what's going to give me the most utility? Like I mentioned, So, yeah, those trade offs like what do you value and what is your greatest dream? So if in the case of two ill seven summits, it was a huge dream, or was it simply that I allowed myself by the time that I'd been working hard for a while to say a year, twenty grand whatever comes first. And I wasn't that efficient at the time, But I mean I was certainly so damn cheap that I remember being in Mendoza, Argentina, and I you shaving cream and I was shaving my face without cream and turning it, you know, because I'm I'm just trying to cut every corner that I stink and can and in retrospect, you know, like what are you doing? But I've had a really fun process of having a chunk of land that I had to cut my way into that has gravity feed springs, and that you're having all of your adventures and your experiences, but you're removing yourself from let's say, even though there's a big power line in some proximity, how about a minor solar system. And let's see the way we can integrate an old arb fridge with no battery, a ton of old sleeping bags around it, and you're going to have it oscillaid up and down slightly but stay right on frozen all the time with no battery, just tinkering it. Yeah, And you find that really it's nearly an illusion that we need certain things. And this is, of course my take, but the story always is that we need big Brother to do something for us. And I personally sort of see this world where the more we have agency, which is a word that you added earlier that I love that really describes what I think is going to keep humanity on a plane that will have a better outcome in the long term.
Speaker 3: And it seems like it's done that for you.
Speaker 1: It seems like the agency that you've employed in your life, the fact that you're like, all right, I'm going to dig in. I remember one of the times you and I were catching up. You were on a private jet probably what you were You were on a private jet and you were going off to do some big deal, and you were crushing it. You were in full consultant mode and you were working for someone on a big deal, and then the next time I talked to you, you were heading off to someplace crazy in the world on a four thousand dollars motorcycle. To me was it's been very evident that you've chosen to have agency over the experiences that you have in life and how they change you. And that's to me, I found it very inspiring, Absolutely found it inspiring to see that, Like to watch you operate at really are two extremes, but your heart was really only in one of them, which is experiences. But you're willing to be like, all right, I'm gonna go I'm gonna dig really deep into the professional space to make enough money to.
Speaker 3: Go screw off.
Speaker 1: For two years, not a week goes by that someone doesn't reach out to ask how they can help support the podcast. We are supported entirely by Overland Journal the magazine. So when you become a subscriber to the Overland Journal print magazine, you get this beautiful book that comes in five times a year. It also gives you access to our digital archive, and it's well over one hundred pages of gorgeous images and detailed testing and adventures from around the globe. So if you go to Overland Journal dot com and you subscribe to the magazine, use the code overland Podcast and that'll get you twenty percent off. It's only available to our podcast listeners. We don't advertising anywhere else, and then you help us to maintain that independent, employee owned journalism that we have been famous for, so it allows us to conduct those tests without any advertorial Another way you can help out too. I produced a book last year with Simon and Schuster called Overlanding one oh one. You could find it on Amazon or Barnes and Noble or even your local bookstore, and that encompasses my decades of travel around the world, all my mistakes and failures and the lessons that I've learned in traveling around the globe. Many of those that you hear on the podcast have been distilled down into print form with great lists and beautiful imagery. So you can find that at your local bookstore. Overlanding one on one And thank you all for listening and for supporting us so much throughout these years.
Speaker 2: It's been one of the greatest liberties. Yeah to have that and at times, you know, you wish that you dove deeper. You know, we just had a wonderful experience with for a couple of nights, they had us over by Arizona and or by Phoenix, And at times you want those creature comforts more, right, And it's that sacrifice, though, that wakes you up, makes you appreciate what you do have around you. In contrast, I think contrast is such a beautiful element. And I'm glad I've been able to do what I've been able to. And you know, in whatever way even the next generation chooses, is that or not, we'll see. God. We just are sitting where the paradigm is changing so rapidly ai and degrades its way in our face for our lives.
Speaker 3: People, Yeah, you are.
Speaker 1: You are the next generation buddies, you are, which is a good thing we need, we need that. I think about my nephews and I'm like, these kids are awesome. Like they're way more awesome than I was. They're way more kind of aware of life and thoughtful of others. And there's like it, there's a depth to them, maybe because they've been able to learn so rapidly, because the availability of information and probably the versity of the people that they exchange time with. But the kids are just awesome, like, way more cool than I ever was.
Speaker 2: I'll take it all day long being around a kid. I keep reminding my dad, who will hear this, you know, let the kids be loud, to let them knock around, have their fun. And like, I think there's some sort of quote that may have religious context as just the closer you can be to a child at the end of your life, the closer you will be to some sort of a heaven or bliss. Sure, and I strive for that. I Thineah, it's a very important element.
Speaker 1: Well, we talked earlier today an interesting confluence of both of our lives that we only just found out this morning when we were catching up. But you know, your dad is struggling with some health concerns and my dad is. In fact, they both had sounds like strokes about the same time, about a year and.
Speaker 3: A half ago. How do you process that.
Speaker 1: Change the fact the reality that you know, you have your son that's coming into life, and we have our parents. You know, I lost my mom years ago, and how has that informed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that's it really hard of your one thing I'm very happy that I did. In twenty fifteen, I was doing a lot of Asia six months of the year whatever it was, Himalaya is Southeast Asia, islands wherever. And I was notified that two friends passed in the year. A man who was a very inspirational element and mentor in my life, who had been the CEO of Columbia Star Pictures and Fox in the seventies. Very I worked at a restaurant he had in Jackson Hole when I was a teenager, and he opened amazing doors for me and I the respect I hold for that man, it's immense, just the perspective and a friend and a paraglider the same week. My only reaction was call Dad, Dad, getting I'm meeting you in North Vietnam. The man had never left the country in his life.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: And for him to show up on the plane and just be jazzed ready to go, and he was still healthy enough. It was that one moment that he had to get him on something big like that, for never knowing where life went. And of course he shows up with a city and knives and he's like, check out what I snuff. So proud of him. He went hard for about three four days with me. We've got great photos. We were out having you know, how was it. He was seventy two, maybe seventy and we're in there he's eighty two now and you know, having their local drinks and foods, and he almost biffs it so hard, a silly move, but his athleticism as if he's kind of a pioneer of freestyle skiing, and he did this perfect move on the bike.
Speaker 3: I witnessed that.
Speaker 2: I was like, no way would anyone else pulled that off. Riding for forty years, right, he just jumps on. And now to have the end of that and him tell me that was about my favorite experience I've ever had. Even though I got to revisit with him after his stroke, I think he's rewired some thoughts a little, but he didn't lose his memories and he didn't lose his awareness. He's just now slow and struggles to speak at times. And I'm just really happy that we were able to do that, that that experience happened. And now in the midst of this energy, that's a child in his imagination and his lust for life that reinvigorates in myself through his proximity and vice versa. I'm sure that is what life is about. I look at it. I say, we have our relationships and our memories, and there are so many things that simply are not worth our energy to not partake in that have a darkness about them, and there are things that possess a light that is so bright and lovely. I'd rather take that path.
Speaker 3: Why do you think people keep taking the other path? Why do you think people keep doing the things that they're not that they shouldn't. They know even they know they shouldn't.
Speaker 2: There's a little bit around that hurt people, hurt people. You just can't help yourself because you're caught in the thought that somehow them having fun will restrict your ability to enjoy. And man, the more I can I mean, I know, being me, I've at times been a very bold element and it doesn't help me, and it times it does. But I would say that over time, most of the most of those people that are choosing that path of like I go as far back to being a sixth grader and the kid that would go tattletale on all the fun you were having when it's a subteacher, right, like, why were they doing that? And usually I think there's something that is in themselves that they're I think there's probably jealousy at times when you act in a way that you want to harm others, And I thought that's what SI was actually brings up. There was something I said that I don't know how it resonated with him, but it was being people in the fast lane going slow, and I said, I don't like being held up. And the last thing in this world I would ever want to do is hold another person up for like achieving their ambitions and finding the joy and growth that is in their life. And one thing that I think I can say about those people who choose that is that I can almost thank them for creating a tangent which led to my own growth that maybe I never would have experienced in the path of life that I'm in, because we're all on a different page here, and we all have different obstacles that we either create for ourselves, others create for us, or it's something bigger than we could ever explain.
Speaker 1: But yeah, we learn a lot from each one of those things if we allow ourselves. I mean, recently, I've been thinking a lot about that, you know, because so much has changed in my life in the last couple of years. And you know, I was just thinking about the other day. You know, it's like, we got to have we got to have some purpose. We really do need to have something to chase a little bit. We got to have something that that gets us up in the morning, gives little puts a little fire in the belly. So I do realize like that I know that I need that. I'm not saying that everybody needs that, but I know that I need that.
Speaker 3: I need that that I need to.
Speaker 1: Do hard things that gives me a lot of joy. And then I think the one thing that I've really screwed up on in my life is I just haven't had enough play. From the outside it would I've traveled so much and I've done I've had so many experiences, but they've always been like in the pursuit of the purpose, goal, the goal. Like I'm very driven, but I did not stop and smell the roses much or at all in my life. You know, when I think about talking with others that are maybe starting off on the journey similar to what I started off on twenty thirty years ago, you know, there's that it's such a cliche cliche to say, you know, like stop and smell the roses, but holy cow, there's some truth to that, like you know, finding like you talked about earlier about being at you know, at the top of at Congagua and actually remembering that sunset that was happening, and that's because you were intentional in that moment to stop and watch that unfold. So I don't I know that I haven't had enough play and I haven't had enough of those that kind of joy in my life. And then I absolutely agree with you about connection. It's about the people that we know. And it's so funny when you look back at that, like purpose and doing hard things and play and having fun and joy and connecting with others. None of that requires a lot of money. And that's why you can see, you know, someone in a village in Malawi that's just got limitless joy. They're super happy because they're you know, they're challenged, and they're they're purpose in their life and their family, and they're connected with others and you know, they're having fun. They're playing in the lake and throwing a playing soccer or whatever. It's like it's really not that difficult, but boy, do we make it difficult sometimes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's nine reaction. I was reminded of what you just said the flowers about two and a half months ago by very lovely woman in my life I love so much, and she actually was the one ironically in thinking this that she said, are you ever stopping to smell the flowers? And that end goal thing is actually a large component if I'll ever get online for you. A couple of those episodes of the Why did You come to Japan Japanese show, one of their more bigger things, that's a theme. It's a very well thought out show has to do with why did you say? For example, I was peddling a bicycle through Japan that I picked up hitchhiking. I called it a mom bike. This thing had three years of basket on. I had the economist in the front and a big jacket sleeping bag. The jacket I got at some used store. Bicycle was given to me by a Peruvian Japanese.
Speaker 3: Guy, which is great, race, amazing, and.
Speaker 2: They're like, you didn't achieve your goal? Was the whole thing because I was just going home. I was tired of at the time. It was the rain and communicate and I just kind of wanted to go home and they're at the airport and they're like, why are you doing this? And it was that same like, because I want to enjoy the journey right now, it may not be that like I guess you got to know. It's almost it's similar to climbing a mountain. At what point do you actually stop and see what the crystal ball says and is it worth continuing? And it depends upon what your goals are at that juncture. Michael was I kind of want to go back home to Jackson Hole and see some friends jump into hot spring even though it's hot springs there. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you wanted to change change the scenery. Yeah, absolutely so, Yeah, I know that's such an important one.
Speaker 1: Well, let's talk a little bit about travel ethos and kind of how you prep for trips. You've done a lot most of your trips have been on lightweight motorcycles. Why do you choose lightweight motorcycles and kind of how do you tend to set them up?
Speaker 2: Yes, so I'm a horsepower junkie. I like power to wait, KTM, who's the burg, Who's Kavarna? Just they nothing really competes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they dominate.
Speaker 2: They dominate, and I got on that train at a point in time, and there's this motor that you know, the article I wrote for you guys later. You know, people see pretty clearly thousand hours don't even check the valves. So going with something first that I look for what makes a sexy bike first power and maybe equally longevity. But you know, KLR is that that sexy? I don't think so, So you need the balance. It's that that hybrid component of both. And I like something that I feel I could slide under a barbed wire fence. I could probably push it through a river after I throw a plastic bag around the intake and have some help somewhere pushing it. You know, even nearby here the ver Day River multiple times right where you're gonna have to turn back one hundred miles or you could continue and hit some insane desert from here. Something that feels agile, like it's a rat dape under you and it is terran. That is something to me that it keeps your limp flowing. Yeah, so yeah, I'd say that that kind of bike is huge in my world to have.
Speaker 1: Well, maybe we'll just wrap it up with like, how do you normally pack your gear on the bike.
Speaker 2: Okay, these days, I'm still using bags that Pate always was offering me bags with his Moscow motos that I think he's done great bags. Yeah, the best thing, and talk about nine fifties before he can as he was conceiving the ideas for the company. I met him at a gas station randomly in Mexico and we camp for a night. Started telling me all about what he's gonna do. Yeah, Like, this guy seems like he's on.
Speaker 1: It and he has been. Man, he's a good had a good run. I just got a bunch of his Uh, I'm going to go test the new Prillia rally Okay, Toreg Rally in Utah and next week.
Speaker 3: Awesome.
Speaker 1: So he sent me all of his Moscow his new Adventure motorcycle gear. So I've got one of his little Peico tank bags and I got all of his jacket and pants and stuff like that. Man, it's really great to see you. I'm glad to see that you're doing well. And we got to stay in touch more than texting each other every three.
Speaker 3: Years or so.
Speaker 1: We're always in some random cool spot in the world, usually at the same time. You know, different parts of the world, but we're always doing something fun together and I've always wanted to have you on the podcast, and when you reached out that you were coming through Prescott, I'm like, I got to make that work because I'm around for one day and we were able to pull it off. So, man, thank you so much for being on the podcast. Yeah, we'll do it again. We thank you all for listening. We'll talk to you next time.
Speaker 2: Awesome, great,