Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 3: This is Mick Shot streaming live on dallascowboys dot Com and the official Dallas Cowboys apt Now Here are Bill Jones, Everson Wolves, and Mickey Spagnola.
Speaker 4: And here it is a Tuesday, a beautiful Tuesday morning. You're at the Star in Frisco, and we are inside the s WBC podcast studio and another edition of mix Shots. And wow, what a great day. There needs to be football players on the football field today.
Speaker 5: We have rules, Bill, I think I think they deserve a day off, but they do.
Speaker 4: But it's such a nice day, I say, finally got rid of the.
Speaker 5: Can you guys hear me?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 4: I can hear you.
Speaker 5: Can you not hear us?
Speaker 4: Okay, well we'll work on that.
Speaker 5: Problem right here.
Speaker 2: We'll just speak up.
Speaker 5: Why not try?
Speaker 4: You won't be able to hear the phone calls today?
Speaker 5: The phone calls?
Speaker 4: Yeah, all right? So basking in the glory of a Sunday night wind still Mickey Spagnola, did you get a good night's sleep? I did, okay, very good.
Speaker 7: Cat napped all the way through the Monday night football game.
Speaker 2: But I made it to the end, yes.
Speaker 5: But didn't make it to the end.
Speaker 4: He did the breaking I had the moment that was a good moment to breaking news this morning, and so they won't be talking about the Cowboys. Of course, the Cowboys won, so they aren't talking about the Cowboys.
Speaker 5: Can't guess. I can't find any of my friends out there now.
Speaker 4: Nobody wants to talk about the Cowboys when they win, but they're talking about the Jets. You're going to get your fill of New York Jets football, j e ts, Jets, Jets, Jets all day to day. Because he made a decision to uh fire what he I mean? Woody Johnson made a decision to fire Robert Saleh and Jeff Obrich is the new interim head coach for the rest of the season. Two and three record. They just played in London. I thought, well, maybe they have the bye week this week having just played in London, and if you're going to make a change, sometimes that'll be the case. But actually they played Monday night they play the Bills, so.
Speaker 2: They got an extra day for the new coach.
Speaker 7: That's right, Yeah, boy, we're firing coaches at two and three.
Speaker 5: MM hmmm, So is it too early to give up on your coach?
Speaker 2: Well, if the quarterback doesn't like them, he's in his fourth season.
Speaker 4: And then the red flag on It was last week when there was I don't remember the circumstances, but the head coach said something about the penalties and uh and the thoughts you talked something like that, and the quarterback said, well, maybe we just need to start keep getting keeping these players accountable. We're talking about the head coach.
Speaker 5: That's crazy. Yeah, I mean, and so when.
Speaker 4: That relationship sours, then when the Aaron Rodgers is your quarterback, then.
Speaker 8: You know, I remember him just flipping backwards trying not to criticize him for Rogers, for not showing up, you know, for the camp off season camp deals, you know, I mean, tripping over himself, just trying to not to say anything. Oh no, he's fine, No, no, he can go do acid in the desert or whatever. You know, it's okay. I mean, is that loose leagen Nicks. I don't know what the hell he was doing. I mean, he went back to the sixties on this stuff, man, and you know he's able.
Speaker 5: To do that. Oh yeah, welcome back, Aaron. You're good.
Speaker 8: Well, you know, we just we just need your receivers to be on the same page with you.
Speaker 5: Behave you good? And now here we are I tell.
Speaker 2: You, boy, being on the same page might mean something.
Speaker 5: Huh. Well, yeah, if you can find him, you have to find.
Speaker 2: That finds.
Speaker 4: So I guess you know this occurred to me.
Speaker 7: So when Salo went from San Francisco, right yes, to the Jets because they lost an assistant coach to head coaching, they got draft picks. So when he gets fired, you got to give the draft picks back.
Speaker 4: That's an idea.
Speaker 5: Both are my draft picks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's good. You how long did he last?
Speaker 2: Two years? Three?
Speaker 4: And he was in his fourth year, fourth, five year, fourth season?
Speaker 2: Time fly?
Speaker 8: Like I said, they put so much into last year, you know, and when the Achilles thing happened, it just I'm still curious as to how good they would have been if he would have.
Speaker 4: So really he was. He lost his job for plays into last season when.
Speaker 5: The quarterbacks didn't just didn't know it.
Speaker 8: Nate said it started with the coach saying the cadence may be an issue.
Speaker 4: That's what it was in this Yeah, that's what it was.
Speaker 5: Yes, for the false starts.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, and that's when the quarterback said, well, maybe we just need to start keep keeping the players.
Speaker 5: So he just he's sensitive. He's just a little sensitive you get.
Speaker 8: You know, you say something to somebody who was, as the young folks say, in his feelings, and you know, now you know, I'm out of here because I said I slipped and said the wrong thing. Crazy man, you know that kind of stuff. That that that, you know, old school stuff was. Let me meet you outside after that when I pack up all my stuff. You know, when I pack up all my stuff, me and you just go in the quiet room somewhere nobody needs to watch.
Speaker 5: And let's just talk about this. Hash it out, hash it out.
Speaker 2: No, we got we got.
Speaker 5: Text message with civilized now Yeah.
Speaker 2: Facebook, Yeah, that's good, we can get it out there.
Speaker 5: We got X, thank god, Yeah we got X.
Speaker 4: So the Jets lost to the Vikings in London on Sunday twenty three seventeen.
Speaker 2: At least let him ride back.
Speaker 4: I think he was ride back.
Speaker 2: Leave him behind.
Speaker 7: Who was the coach that got a college coach got fired on the tarmac or something?
Speaker 2: Edwards Arizona.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was hilarious, man. They fired him.
Speaker 8: Hey, man, we don't need you to go into the locker room. Your stuff is outside already packed up.
Speaker 5: You're good. You got to ride home. We got we got an uber. You know.
Speaker 8: They wouldn't even live go in the locker room to say goodbye to the guys. They caught him in the end zone. Oh my goodness, at home. At least he was at home. Yeah, he could drive right crazy.
Speaker 4: So they've got twelve games to salvage their season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's two and three.
Speaker 5: That's what.
Speaker 4: That's what, that's what. Whatdy Johnson's thinking is that we got twelve games. Now we can see and I can, I can. Jeff Ouldbrook seems like a guy who has head coach traits about him, and I can give him a test drive here for the next twelve games and we'll see what happens.
Speaker 8: Well, what's going to happen is I mean, this is what's going on. They're putting everything in Aaron Rodgers hands. Right, He's trusting Aaron over the head coach, and let's see how that goes.
Speaker 5: Maybe Rogers the head he's the head coach. That's just all it is.
Speaker 8: Don't say anything to piss me off right now, because you know, I am the head coach.
Speaker 5: Basically, what he's what's happening right now?
Speaker 2: You think somewhere Mike McCarthy's smiling.
Speaker 7: Why do you say that, Well, we heard the rumors at the end in Green Bay that they weren't see an eye to eye.
Speaker 5: Now Aaron Rodgers running this whole thing, you can.
Speaker 4: And there were issues with Matt Lafleur too. Yeah, between Rogers and Lafloor.
Speaker 5: We know, we know what's going on.
Speaker 4: Jeff Olbrook is the defensive coordinator.
Speaker 2: So so the bottom line is when you.
Speaker 4: He's still the defensive course, well that's been his position and so yeah, he was still exactly he's a defense So truthfully we get to the bottom of this. As we get to the bottom of this, jeff Oldbrook is still the defensive Lathaniel Hacket is on the offensive, and name the offensive coordinator. Aaron Rodgers now is the offensive coordinator.
Speaker 5: And the head coach.
Speaker 8: There you go, that's just the way it is, just the way it is, and you know what, it may be more comfortable around there now that we got this whole.
Speaker 5: Out of the way.
Speaker 8: You know, let we all know that I'm the guy, so you know it may it may be better.
Speaker 5: It may be better.
Speaker 7: And the good thing here is that the quarterback goes to the head coaches hometown and goes visit the old family bar.
Speaker 5: That's right, the house, the house. Yeah, that's even better, that's even better.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 8: But when you look at this this whole week, I'm just so happy that the players are getting their flowers today and they're not concentrating on all the negativity in the game and the interceptions, the fumbles of all of that, I think, and to me, when you have a good defense like that, a defense that plays well, it can cover up a lot of problems. And that's the way the NFL usually is. Your offense is never perfect. Your defense gives them chances, and your offense needs to know how to finish a game, whether it's situational or otherwise.
Speaker 4: You know what, though, with the twenty four hour rulers up, yes, and now they start they put in that Lions tape. Yeah, you're not playing the Pittsburgh Steelers this week. The defense is not playing the Pittsburgh Steelers this week.
Speaker 7: They're playing the number three ranked offense and they have one hundred and fifty one yards.
Speaker 4: Of game rushing and By the way, it's a Detroit Lions team coming off of bye week two.
Speaker 8: And they're still pissed off about that. Yeah, still pissed off.
Speaker 4: And one they've been working on that tackle eligible for two weeks. Now, I know that that's all they do.
Speaker 5: This is what we're gonna Did.
Speaker 7: You see him the report in their last time they playing Dan Skipper? Skipper reports it and the official Uh, for those of you that aren't watching, he both hands, he pointed at him and said.
Speaker 2: Reported in hilarious.
Speaker 7: Hilarious, he reported in the Other thing that I noticed is that the NFL's leading sacker right now is Adon Hutchinson. Far four he had four against Tampa No, uh, it was four and a half against Tampa Bay.
Speaker 2: But he leads the league with six and.
Speaker 4: And if you looked up his quarterback pressures twenty five, it's like far and away he's doubled. He's lapped the field on quarterback pressures.
Speaker 2: Well under the Cowboys have a soft spot.
Speaker 5: Not anymore.
Speaker 2: Well we'll see Guyon nicked up his knee, but they're.
Speaker 4: Saying, yeah, so what's up with that?
Speaker 2: He's day to day. I saw where.
Speaker 7: He said he wanted to get back in the game, and they were like, no, we're good. I don't know, you better let this thing rest or whatever. But if he's not, you probably go the same way, right, Yeah, Tyler Smith that left tackle, TJ Bass at guard, this.
Speaker 5: Pick up where we left off. Now you have no choice.
Speaker 7: But if he's healthy, then you go back to where you were. And I think that the siding point on all that would be. And I'm sure someone well that's the way you need to go. Is Tyler Geiton better at left tackle then TG Bass is at guards?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I mean TJ Bass I thought played.
Speaker 4: Liked I like TJ Bass every time he's played.
Speaker 7: And they run the ball or they ran the ball pretty well, uh, even though they had to make that change. And again, I mean this was off the top of my head yesterday, but I don't remember Tyler Smith playing tackle since his rookie year. So I think you got a judge now you don't want to stop progress, or maybe you sit a game or two.
Speaker 4: Okay, what about this who says that you have to have a offensive lineman play every snap in a game. Nathan Frisco chime in, that's what the commanders are doing, right, now they've got a second round draft pick, left tackle, Brandon Coleman out of TCU. He was either a late second round early third round pick, and he's getting some decent reviews. He's not playing a full game at left tackle. They he's been coming in for series. They're not alternating on plays or anything. They're alternating maybe every other series or every third series series where he's getting about the half the snaps of all the other offensive linemen because he's a rookie. He's just learning, you know. And there are some other teams that have that have done that with their rookies, and the Ravens did it with their rookie right tackle Rosengarden where they're playing mckerry, who's normally a guard out at tackle at right tackle, and Rosengarten would get twenty to twenty five snaps a game just as he gets acclimated to the NFL. There's nothing that says you can't do something like that, but you don't want to.
Speaker 5: You don't.
Speaker 4: You don't want Tyler Smith to play left guard. And then you know, okay, you're giving guyton a series off, so you you switch it out. You can't do that. It's you said they are doing it at other places, they're doing it not with a guard during the game where he's playing guard and tackle. It's it's strictly a tackle for tackle.
Speaker 7: Do you remember And if I get this wrong, I'm sure needle chime in.
Speaker 2: So it would have been.
Speaker 7: Late eighties, somewhere in there where the Cowboys had Gogan and Dave Whye Dell. They were alternating, and they were alternate one was the running plays and one was one was the past.
Speaker 5: It had to be in eighty nine, eighty eight, eighty nine.
Speaker 2: I'm thinking it was eighty eight, maybe.
Speaker 8: Because that's when we were in dire straits. We were, we were really depleted in talent. Yeah, I think that.
Speaker 2: May have might have been eighty seven.
Speaker 5: I don't know. I think it was eighty seven.
Speaker 2: I think one of them, one of them was a rookie. I'm sure there was common.
Speaker 5: You think it's eighty seven they have been doing strike, doing the strike. Maybe you think it was doing the strike.
Speaker 2: About or after the strike.
Speaker 4: Okay, I think it was fairly common. They would send them where they would guards in right, alternate on every play and bring the play in for the sideline right.
Speaker 5: That's what Tom would do.
Speaker 4: Right, and then one game they did it with the quarterbacks, cho.
Speaker 5: Bringing that stuff up because you know, there's not good.
Speaker 4: You know what, it ended up good? You know why because it got me. No, No, I'm talking night that nineteen seventy one when it happened against Chicago twenty three.
Speaker 8: You're talking then, yeah, quarterback shuffle right, that made that that that.
Speaker 4: That it was a twenty three nineteen lost to Chicago. And then this is Monday, he announced that star Box a quarterback and the Cowboys won ten straight games, and you go, so, yeah, that did end up Yeah, Okay, Mickey's looking at his legal pad.
Speaker 2: I was just trying to.
Speaker 4: Tease something for the next segment here.
Speaker 2: Since we solved the offensive line issues, Yes.
Speaker 5: How do we solve it?
Speaker 4: You're going with guy and if he's healthy, If he's healthy, Okay.
Speaker 5: They want to stick with the same same line.
Speaker 4: To work pretty well for the last.
Speaker 7: And I guess recorder got everybody's attention to the Cowboys are going to work out the wide receiver mimes is that.
Speaker 4: It it's not Marvin Memes.
Speaker 2: It's from he's from here.
Speaker 4: I just saw it. Okay, Jerry, Well, we'll get that name and We'll be back with more mixed shots brought to you by Miller Lyte in.
Speaker 5: Just a moment next time.
Speaker 8: Star Sports Tours is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders and Cowboy legends.
Speaker 5: You want to stay at the.
Speaker 8: Team hotel, attend the best tail gay party in Texas, tour the Star and talk ex'es and o's with me Everson Walls. With Star Sports Tours, you can visit Cowboys Travel dot com to book your travel package today.
Speaker 6: Hey Cowboy fans, I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, but lately I've been learning a new game. Crypto sound confusing, don't worry. Even US pros were rookies and crypto once. That's why I trust blockchain dot Com. They make crypto easy, no confusing jargon, just the tools to help you win.
Speaker 4: Scott slides for the first down.
Speaker 6: Investigate your icons where everyone is a rookie and crypt with blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 4: Perfect Grow My goodness, wow, did he ever read the needle?
Speaker 6: Visit blockchain dot com slash Cowboys to get started.
Speaker 9: Hey y'all, Matt Pittman of Meat Church here with football season kicking off, I'm already gear enough to bring the smoker back to AT and T Stadium for some epic tailgates. But with that Texas heat, it's crucial to keep my beer handcramping cold. That's where Yeti's insulated colster can cooler comes in clutch this year. You can even get them with the iconic star engraved on the side. Licensed Yettie Cowboys gear is now available at stadium pro shops, concessions and on yetti dot com. Check it out today. YETI official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 1: Miller Lite is brewed with great taste and only great tape.
Speaker 2: The Miller Brewing Company would like to issue a correction.
Speaker 4: Miller Light is brewed to be less feeling.
Speaker 10: What are you doing here?
Speaker 5: Miller Lite tastes great.
Speaker 1: Look, I'm just reading the script.
Speaker 2: It says less filling.
Speaker 5: That's not what my script says.
Speaker 4: Hell mindset. We'd like to apologize for the previous announcers. Middle Light is in fact less filling, taste great.
Speaker 1: I'm rashine legal guy, celebrate Responsiblelyla Walky Wisconsin Beer ninety six thousands three point two grams carvers for twelve bounces fewer Colson cars than premium regular beer.
Speaker 2: To mixed shots.
Speaker 8: The most action packed motorsports experience in the world returns to Arlington. Head to AT and T Stadium on Saturday, October twenty six for Monster Jam and watch four Marvel Monster Jam trucks make their Arlington debut. Tickets are on sale now at SeatGeek dot com, the official ticketing partner of AT and T Stadium.
Speaker 4: When is that?
Speaker 5: That is is Octoba twenty sixth.
Speaker 4: October twenty sixth. My grandsons would love that for real. Wow.
Speaker 5: You know what if we can get discount man.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we could get a sweet That would be really really nice.
Speaker 5: Wow. Actually they want to be close. They don't want to be in a sweet, No.
Speaker 4: But I want to be in it.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: To the windows shut you don't like, No, they're open open.
Speaker 8: Dirt well, if you can reach it up there, jeez. A lot of dirt, all right?
Speaker 4: You got any dirt on anybody?
Speaker 2: No dirt?
Speaker 4: It is Denzel Mems is the wide receiver Baylor who is working out for the Cowboys today. Former second round pick who was with Carolina in training camp. By the way, Jerry Jones on the fan this morning, did you have to take a listen to Jerry?
Speaker 2: I did?
Speaker 4: Okay, he highlights. He says Tyler Guiton has a good chance, yes for this week.
Speaker 2: So it's sounds like he's day to day. We'll see.
Speaker 4: How about Michael Uh.
Speaker 7: He wasn't as sure if he If he's got a high ankle spring, it's going to be two weeks.
Speaker 2: And then you got the buy. I just can't imagine he's.
Speaker 5: Gonna okay, so hold.
Speaker 2: On, we'll see come running out on the field.
Speaker 5: Hold on with Nate from Frisco.
Speaker 8: Okay, he started with the coach saying the cadence may be an issue, and then they said it failed because why they all was trash.
Speaker 2: But that's not related to that's two different.
Speaker 8: That's okaya regard god substitution. That's it failed because why they was trash. So Logan was the man, as we know obviously why they wasn't.
Speaker 5: Thank you Frisco.
Speaker 4: Now he's learning that whatever he text, just to understand that it's going to get broadcast.
Speaker 5: Oh he knows, all right.
Speaker 7: So and Jerry's answer to the workout was, we just continue to look for depth and don't ever pay attention to the players that come through here working out that particularly.
Speaker 2: Uh they are particularly he's saying, we're in a good spot. Uh here.
Speaker 7: Uh, they like floor noy.
Speaker 4: Emphasis on the the thing you have to be ready for annoy. Just think of annoy.
Speaker 2: Annoying me.
Speaker 5: And that. Uh.
Speaker 7: What they have to consider is what if one of the guys now gets hurt, who's your who's your next wide receiver to help out? And that's what this guy's Yeah, and I don't know that there's well there's another wide receiver on the practice squad, Cropper who had a good training.
Speaker 4: Camp, Jalen Cropper. We need another Jalen in the taking over.
Speaker 7: So yeah, that's one of the things they always try to do, just to see what kind of condition these guys are in, just in case that. I don't think he's been with a team this summer. So anyway, that's what he had to say.
Speaker 8: I'm gonna give a quick shout out to coach Zimmer. You know, the last couple of games been pretty impressive. I know the teams were not all that good, even though the Giants came up and upset everyone's thought process. I like how we are working with these backups and yet we're still coordinated. Uh, And we stayed coordinated during the entire game in an extremely hostile environment.
Speaker 5: Justin fields all of his problems aside. We played the run two weeks in a row very well.
Speaker 8: And I'm not gonna sit up here and dump on the Steelers because they'll come back next week and show you just what kind of team they are, Just like the Giants have done and really have been doing trying to hang in there with the problems that they're having. Cowboys have been beating a couple of really good teams. They can say what they want. Cowboys beat a couple of really good teams, and their defense led the way.
Speaker 2: So it already started Monday on talk radio.
Speaker 7: Okay, it's like, well, yeah, okay, that was the Steelers.
Speaker 2: Now we're going to see what they can do against Detroit. It's never good. It minimizes because going in.
Speaker 7: Everybody was all fired up about the Steelers and how they were going to run the ball right down.
Speaker 5: Their big coming a big stud.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, and then that didn't happen, No, it did not. And it's and also started you know with the Giants two times.
Speaker 7: Yeah, what you got to go on the road, you got to play the Giants, you know there, I don't know, and then.
Speaker 2: They stopped them in a It's like, wow, that was the Giants. So just watch. Don't keep trying to make.
Speaker 7: Conclusions on one game or five games.
Speaker 5: Matchups are important SPACs.
Speaker 8: I don't think people realize that you can go into especially if you're talking a divisional game.
Speaker 5: You're talking about being on the road. That was important.
Speaker 8: And then you look and see what they did to the Seahawks just a couple of days ago. It translated into a really good win for us, and that led to the momentum that we have right now. Defensively, of course, challenges every week, so yes, we don't want to rest on our laws challenges every week. Yes I get that, But don't degrade us for not playing well when we don't win, and then you ignore when we play well when we do win.
Speaker 5: So that's all. That's just the narrative I'm talking about.
Speaker 8: As far as coaches are concerned, yes, they are always looking to get better.
Speaker 5: They're never going to.
Speaker 8: Try and rest on what they did the previous game, try to build on it not rest on it. So I'm sure that's where the Cowboys are. But the narrative itself, it can be annoying as hell.
Speaker 7: So San Francisco, by the way, has to play Kansas City before that Seattle and then Kansas City.
Speaker 4: They're playing Seattle on Thursday. Oh they are at Seattle on Thursday. Okay, what are theyre? Two and three right now?
Speaker 2: Two and three?
Speaker 4: So they okay, short week at Seattle, Seattle smarting after losing to the Giants. That's a toss up game, right, it is all right?
Speaker 2: And then but let's say they lose City.
Speaker 4: Let's say they lose, then they get Kansas City at home, I think right? Or is it home? Let's say they could be two and five with the Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Coming there, or three and four.
Speaker 4: So do you want them to be do you want them to be two and five or do you prefer them to be three and four?
Speaker 8: I don't care when we come in. You know, when we come in, they don't care what the record is. It doesn't matter what the narrative is before that. When we come in, it's everything the slate, ist.
Speaker 2: White, whatever their record is.
Speaker 7: I don't want everybody building them up, right, right, San Francisco, and then if you happen to win.
Speaker 5: What they've been having problems all year? Yeah, yeah, the same thing. They they need to fix that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, right, well, how much are they trying to get Christian McCaffrey back as soon as possible? And nothing against George Mason, who has done well, but he's not Christian McCaffery. Yeah. By the way, one more, one final note on the Steelers. But you're talking about the Cowboys defense and how they performed and quarterback situation in Pittsburgh. Mike Tomlin as his press conference on Tuesday, and Tomlin said today Russell Wilson is scheduled to be a full participant in practice on Wednesday, he'll get he'll get reps with the second team as not to disrupt Justin's preparation. And another Beat reporter says Tomlin speaks quite different diferently about his quarterbacks this week. Last couple of weeks, came in basically said Justin Fields is starting. Didn't say that this week, said he will see how Russell Wilson gets through the week of practice. First, sure sounds like there is a good chance Wilson starts if he proves he's healthy during the week.
Speaker 7: Well, last week someone asked him what does Justin Fields have to do to keep the job, and he was pretty plain and well.
Speaker 5: And win, just win.
Speaker 8: That's what I like about reading between the lines. I'm telling you what I said. Yeah, and that's it. Yeah, Yeah, that's what I like about.
Speaker 2: That was good, just Whin.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you know we count wins, so yeah, we'll see what happens there. But your good point about u zim uh And you know what they had to piece together in that game, you without your top four defensive ends.
Speaker 4: And how about what it says to all of the starters whenever they get back, whether it's Mike Good or on Bland, d Law whatever, what you can do when everybody does their job. Yes, in a discipline way, that's right.
Speaker 7: And young guys probably aggressively, Yeah, young guys probably aren't freelancing.
Speaker 8: They were aggressive. I mean they weren't sitting back catching blows. They were aggressive moving the line of scrimmage, especially on the defensive line. They were moving the line of scrimmage backwards. And every time now he tried to run the ball, he was not comfortable. And I know that he was looking forward to being comfortable because he saw the film.
Speaker 5: Not this time.
Speaker 7: That was impressive because I'm I'm guessing Chauncey Golston probably had the best.
Speaker 5: Game of his career five tackles.
Speaker 7: He had five tackles, a half a sack, and a quarterback hitting. And he's used to just kind of rotating in. But again, sometimes and I would have to look this up, when you get fifty ninety percent of the snack apps fifty two snaps, you're playing right, You get into some rhythm, you kind of start seeing things, and you play well. Jerry had a good answer to that. By the way he said he.
Speaker 2: Was talking about young guys.
Speaker 7: He goes, I like any opportunity we have to play young players, And of course I don't like the fact that we have to do that because of injuries, but I do like to see these young players play because you have to handicap a team. Your season is one and a half college seasons long. I used to say two college seasons. So take a player that's at one level of maturation or one level of capability. When we start a training camp and you take it all the way through January or the next year, if you will, you've got a guy that has now evolved. And if you think back to training camp, he kept talking about guys that he thought should have played more. The young guy should have played more last year, didn't get snaps. Well, they're getting snaps now. Think about where Overshown would be if he had played last year and now what he's doing right now. But he's getting snaps, right, So you get snaps, maybe you improve if you're capable of improving.
Speaker 8: I've told you I got into it, got into it with Clarence and Jacques and Taylor. Yeah, you know these guys that the media, you know, some of you guys are just very cynical about things. That's just the way it is. And you guys rightfully, so right rightfully. So the Cowboys have warranted that because of the failures that they've had in recent years and for about twenty damn years.
Speaker 5: But anyway, so I understand that.
Speaker 8: But I'm talking to them as what a player thinks. You can believe what you want as a player, I can't believe what you write about me.
Speaker 5: I know me better than you know me. You see what I'm saying.
Speaker 8: So if you're talking about what my potential is, then you don't know what the hell you're talking about. Only I know what my potential is. And that's the way all of those practice team players need to think. Just because I'm practice team player, I'm only that now. If I don't do well, then I may remain that or maybe less than that. But if I do well, then that's me writing my own narrative. That's not me saying I am a practice player, so I don't deserve to be out there.
Speaker 5: I don't understand the mentality.
Speaker 8: Of anyone letting someone else determine what your wealth is or what your greatness is. That's my problem, and so mine is from an optimistic view. I believe that they can do better until they show me they can't.
Speaker 7: That's what you know what, And that happens. I think it happens in all walks of life.
Speaker 5: It does.
Speaker 4: Think it does.
Speaker 7: If you have a coach, that's the quality control coach, right, and you might have to go somewhere else to become the wide receiver coach because here you're still the quality control coach, even though they promoted you.
Speaker 2: I can remember newspaper business.
Speaker 7: We had a guy and uh he was the high school writer and his nickname was high school, right, and he was never going to get a.
Speaker 2: Chance to move up.
Speaker 7: The high school there, right, Yeah, and he would have to go somewhere else to get a job. That's like, oh, you can cover college football, you're not just high school. And sometimes that's.
Speaker 8: And they might even bring an entirely fresh new look into whatever they do, right.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So it happens with players, it happens Gegon.
Speaker 8: And once again, I get I get the you know, with jaded, with jaded around here. I get that, but I'm not gonna I'm not just gonna force that thought process on somebody else who hadn't been here. If you're a practice player, man, show me you're not a practice player.
Speaker 5: First. You showed me that, then that you are not that guy anymore.
Speaker 7: I remember at one point I showed up to do something with baseball and somebody goes, well, I thought you were a football writer.
Speaker 2: It's like, seriously, it's like it's sports.
Speaker 5: I'm right, I'm a writer.
Speaker 2: I'm a writer. Are the people playing?
Speaker 4: I think I could try.
Speaker 2: This, right?
Speaker 5: Yeah, jeez, except you don't do well.
Speaker 7: Hey, I spent my time in jack right, I knew about Jackson State Elmore, Mississippi.
Speaker 5: Valley that you'll have.
Speaker 4: An opportunity to cover the Grand Prix of Arlington. I did the ad car come into Arlington in twenty twenty press conference happening here in the last hour.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's it's all through.
Speaker 5: The entertainment district.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they had that nice.
Speaker 7: Nice There was some sort of was it NASCAR or what the road race out like at the airport in Addison around Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was what was it? It was a that wasn't it was a Grand Prix. Yeah, it's like twenty twenty years ago, bro eighteen fifteen years.
Speaker 2: Ago and out at the Cotton Bowl too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they had it there too. That was Formula one.
Speaker 8: I guess what No, they had they had Indy Andy was in Addie, wasn't in Addison?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so that was.
Speaker 2: That was It was small smaller smaller.
Speaker 5: No, the first time was a long time ago.
Speaker 4: I've tried to remember it because.
Speaker 7: Uh I actually, of course this guy is speaks, drove the car over there, speaks to your point.
Speaker 2: But I covered it.
Speaker 4: No, okay, you said that you could cover it. I can't cover cars. In fact, it was a Sunday afternoon at the Addison Grand Prix and were I was. I can't remember. I guess I was working for Channel eleven, or maybe I was working for Channel five, which would have been then. That would have been thirty years ago.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think it was. There was thirty years ago.
Speaker 4: I was Channel five.
Speaker 5: Yeah it was.
Speaker 4: It was nineteen ninety five, ninety six, Yes, And a guy named irv Hair won the race, and like we had a five thirty newscast and the top of the newscast, I'm supposed to go on live.
Speaker 11: I got no information on this race. I know nothing about auto racing. All I know is that a guy named irv Hair won the race. And I got so much crap from people about this life. God would I said, and herv Hair won the race? Uh yeah, irv Hair won the right. We didn't have internet back. I couldn't even look up where irv Hair was from. I had nothing.
Speaker 5: Why if they throw you on there with no info?
Speaker 4: Man, nobody else. I was the sports guy. I'm supposed to know about this stuff, and you know, you're in a position you can't even see what's going on in the race.
Speaker 11: You know nothing about anything. There's no TV monitors, nothing. All I knew was that irv Hair won the race. So I spent two minutes talking about IRV hair.
Speaker 8: Won the race, and your dad is like, boy, yeah, you need You'll never make it.
Speaker 4: You need to stick to them traditional sports.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: The first first auto race I ever covered, well.
Speaker 4: He knew I knew nothing about cars. As he tried to get and teach me how to change change the oil and I'm not My mom was going still how to do that.
Speaker 5: He thought I was gonna be a mechanical, like, you do not know, your son.
Speaker 7: I was in South Carolina and they sent me to cover this dirt track race. I show up with remember back in the day we had white painter pants or whatever. Well it's red dirt there by the way. And they told me that this guy had some winning streak going uh, and that there was a bounty at them that if you beat him, you get all this money. Right, So I don't know nothing about car racing, and I go out there and I'm covering it and dirt's flying all over the place and all I see is on the finish line the guy that had the bouty autum his break lights come on. He slowed down on purpose so the guy could be and they were going to split.
Speaker 4: Right and do it. So it was like wrestling.
Speaker 2: It was sixed, and I asked the question right, and.
Speaker 5: It was.
Speaker 4: They were going to run my ass right out of the.
Speaker 2: That's no more racing.
Speaker 4: Wow. All right, Well, more stories from Mickey's journalistic past coming up here on Murda.
Speaker 10: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at Mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 9: Hey y'all, Matt Pittman of Meat Church here. With football season kicking off, I'm already gear enough to bring the smoker back to AT and T Stadium for some epic tailgates. But with that Texas heat, it's crucial to keep my beer handcramping cold. That's where Yeti's insulated colster canholer comes in clutch.
Speaker 2: This year.
Speaker 9: You can even get them with the iconic star engraved on the side. Licensed Yeti Cowboys gear is now available at stadium pro shops, concessions and on yetie dot Com. Check it out today. Yeti official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 6: Hey Cowboy fans, I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys. But lately I've been learning a new game. Crypto sound confusing, Don't worry. Even US pros were rookies and crypto once. That's why I trust blockchain dot Com. They make crypto easy, no confusing jargon, just the tools to help you win.
Speaker 4: Pruscott keeps it slides with a first.
Speaker 6: Down invest like your icons where everyone is a rookie crypto with blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 11: Perfect throw My goodness, wow did he ever thread the needle?
Speaker 6: Visit blockchain dot Com Slash Cowboys to get started.
Speaker 8: Star Sports Tours is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders and Cowboy legends.
Speaker 5: Want to stay at the.
Speaker 8: Team hotel, attend the best tail gay party in Texas tour the.
Speaker 5: Star and talk x's and o's with me Everson Walls.
Speaker 8: With Star Sports Tours, you can visit Cowboystravel dot com to book your travel package Today.
Speaker 1: Tom Shuts.
Speaker 8: Celebrate the best of the autumn season with Wrangler Fallfest at the Star in Frisco. Join us on Saturday, October nineteenth for a day full of fall.
Speaker 5: Fund for the entire family.
Speaker 8: Enjoy live country music, hang out in the beer garden, and compete in Western inspired games, plus capture fall photo ops.
Speaker 5: Savor seasonal bites, and enjoy Wrangler. Shopping admission and parking is free. Visit the Star District dot com for more info.
Speaker 2: Now what day is that?
Speaker 8: That is the nineteenth October October nineteenth?
Speaker 2: All right? Bill Jones had to depart early to, thank God, take part in an interview. I don't have to hear anymore about air, right?
Speaker 5: What was herv hair?
Speaker 2: Okay? I got one for you.
Speaker 5: What's again?
Speaker 8: Okay?
Speaker 7: Other than I want to point this out that everybody keeps asking about Doron Bland returning from his fractured fifth metatarsan. Well, we don't know, okay, but I'm guessing it's not this week. My observation of how Cowboys trait guys that have been out that long is they bring them back. They practice him one week, then they practice him the next week and figure, okay, you're released to play if it all goes well.
Speaker 5: And then he's got to ramp up.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 7: Yeah, So we're talking a guy that's going to be out what he's already missed five five games, right, and a week before that, so he's been out six weeks.
Speaker 2: It's gonna take two weeks.
Speaker 7: So even if they started practicing this week and then he gets the buy and don't think you practice during the bye. You can work out, ramp up conditioning, but they don't practice, So then would he practice.
Speaker 8: Well, that's an individual. Yeah, he doesn't need practice as much as he needs conditioning conditions.
Speaker 7: And we're seeing him on the resistance cords recently, so maybe by San Francisco or Atlanta, I would think he's back.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 7: The other issue here, and you're a defensive guy, there's this deal going on that Ceedee Lamb gets a bunch of receptions in the first half and doesn't get him in the second half, and you can take this game because there's a there was A. He had five catches for sixty two yards. And now he's recorded at least four receptions in thirty eight consecutive games, tying Julio Jones for the second longest streak in NFL. His of consecutive games with four receptions, the longest is Michael Thomas Saints Michael Thomas, He's forty three straight with four plus. So in this last game, Lamb got his four receptions in the first half fifty two yards, in the second half one catch for nine yards. So to me, my logical answer is teams are just defenses.
Speaker 5: True, true, true, and our offenses are just as well.
Speaker 8: You know, we force it into and force it in to and force it into him in the first half, second half, you're looking for us to come back to him. Now, we've got other targets that we can use. So sometimes the tail does wag the dog. In that situation, they might force us to go away from Stephen from Stephen A. What the hell am I tired to go away from CD Lamb? But you could also bait them into changing their coverage and then we go away from him. You understand what I'm saying, right, So, yeah, we could force it to happen, or we can be ready for it to happen when it happens organically. So I could take it either way. I think what I'm looking at right now is any game that I go into, I want to keep them frustrated. If I'm in the secondary, if I'm playing against cdee Lamb, I want to keep he and Deck.
Speaker 5: In this this zone of.
Speaker 8: Unknown right right, I want them to continue to have the little problems. I would I would hope that that would work to our advantage. What Pittsburgh didn't realize was our backups are ready to play because we didn't have to go to him in the second half.
Speaker 5: In the second half, we went to Ferguson.
Speaker 8: In the second half, we went more, kept going to Jayden, and they kept thinking, oh, they're going to have to force it to see the one of these these plays, which we did. But we were able to come away from that and still be productive with three hundred and fifty yards passing.
Speaker 2: So Tobert had two catches in the first half, ended up with seven.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and by it was we were forced to So you want to away, Lamb got we got somebody I can go somewhere, and which is what the way it was with cook That's the way it was with Cooks. Right now, Cooks not here told this our guy.
Speaker 7: And if you think about it last year with Cooks, the first seven games he didn't have that many catches. They weren't going to him, and then the second half it picked up.
Speaker 5: Well, it's kind of hard to go to him when you got ceed Lamb working on him.
Speaker 7: And that's what I asked Dak that question in training camp and he goes, well, we got CD Lamb.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so.
Speaker 7: But by the second half of the season, now people are like, okay, this guy can't beat us. Well, now things opened up for Cooks. And that's what happened in training camp without CD there Lamb. I mean, Cooks was he was the star of training camp.
Speaker 8: Would you ever as a as a I'll put it like this, you will never take away the attention of Ceede Lamb for Ferguson, right, Okay, That's why Ferguson's always going to be open. That's why Whitten was always going to be open. The tight end, to me is a quarterback's best friend. He is his best friend, especially if you're in a dire situation.
Speaker 7: Because you got to figure out how to cover the tight end. Right, if you're giving up something to cover the receiver, Now do you have a safety or a's.
Speaker 8: Going to do that unless you're Kelsey or somebody you saw last night.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 5: So that's what I'm saying, Wide open the whole game.
Speaker 7: And I'm sitting there going, well, how do they miscoverages? Well, no, that's what they.
Speaker 5: We are able to stretch. Thank god they have mahomes. We have that.
Speaker 8: We're able to stretch the defense to open it up underneath for your tight end. And you know if you have that running back, for a running back to also damage you right in the passing.
Speaker 7: Game because a lot of times what they do with wide receivers is they want to take away that slant. Yes, so the linebacker can drop into that open area, right, and then the dB knows he's got help. But if the linebacker's got to take care of something else, yes, then or doesn't then some albums.
Speaker 8: I love it when they take care of every They take care of the wide receiver and throughout the entire game because it's doing those drives like we just had the other night. That's when you need Ferguson And that's when he showed up. That's when Dak looked for him, those important situations to where you can look at the speed and be dazzled by the catches all you want on the outside, Ferguson is the guy that's going to be that. He's going to be the guy that makes the difference for you.
Speaker 7: And so the natural reaction is, well, what happens to CD and Dak in the second half? They don't think about the other team.
Speaker 8: It'd be great if we could force it to him, and he did try. Yeah, and that's why you got to turnover this. And as I looked at that play, I don't know what happened, but I kind of see where it could be a back shoulder fade, right, But I don't think Ceede was expecting the ball at.
Speaker 2: All, Like he didn't think.
Speaker 8: He didn't think no because us there on point with that, I mean, a backshow of the fate will have been.
Speaker 5: A good pass.
Speaker 2: I think that's what Dak was thrown.
Speaker 8: Yes, running, Well, why would you keep running if there's a defender there already?
Speaker 5: It's like you ran into the ran into the coverage.
Speaker 8: But it doesn't seem as if he thought he was being looked at and regardless of what that is going on. I think the fact that we won that game that puts a nice little band aid on that for now, and that gives them a week to work on whatever issues.
Speaker 4: They have it.
Speaker 2: And god forbid, if we didn't have the sideline.
Speaker 5: Camera man tell me about it.
Speaker 7: We got to see everything and then interpret, even though you don't know what they're saying.
Speaker 2: It's like, oh yeah, yeah, I know, chewing dak out right. All right, Well that's goot. Well we used up our extra five minutes.
Speaker 5: We don't need Bill.
Speaker 2: We did okay without Bill, didn't we. All Right?
Speaker 7: That's Mick shots here on Dallas Cowboys dot Com and we'll be back tomorrow on Dallas Cowboys dot com.
Speaker 5: Go Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.