Speaker 1: Misspelling with Tori Spelling and iHeartRadio Podcast. Okay, it's officially you guys, it's back to school week. Oh I just got a pin of excitement. Well that's the first in the weeks. It's back to school week, and I couldn't be more excited. And we're in public school, so public schools always start in August.
Speaker 2: Private schools start.
Speaker 1: In September, and I'm always like, gosh, you know, they're really cutting the summer short, you know, because our district goes back in August. But now I'm like, thank you so much public school district for cutting our summer short. I am super excited. And this is going to be a whole new ballgame this year because Stella has her license. So technically, my kids they always do this. They go back midweek like break them in, slowly, break us parents, and slowly. They always go back on a Wednesday, and the first Wednesday is like a half day kind of thing, and just to get them slowly back into the routine. But this is going to be my first year where I have Stella driving, So she says, and I wonder how this will She said, Oh, I can take Bow to school. I can help take Katy and Finn I can help pick up drop off. Sorry I'm weaking quietly because they're all still here two more days. But uh, I'm curious how long that will continue. Of just kidding, she's outside sunbathing I just saw. Uh, so I wonder how long that will continue because I feel like she just got her license recently, she's super excited, and then I have a feeling she might you know, drop bow off once or twice and then be like, oh, I can't do it. I have much weigh on me and all my hopes and dreams would be dashed just like that. But yeah, so it just me thinking though not doing like a pickup or drop off actually made me sad for a second, because then that would be Here's the thing as a mom, or just as a parent in general, you want to do or is it a female thing? I just don't know, but you want to do everything, but then you don't want to do everything. But then if you didn't have to do everything, you'd be mad not doing everything because everything is what you did and you were so used to it and you just got it done and you like complained.
Speaker 2: Through it all.
Speaker 1: But you're like us women, Yeah, we can multitask and we can do everything take it on. But yeah, I'd be really sad if like it's like my write of passage as a parent drop off some pickups and if that was taken from me, I'd be really I don't know'd be bummed out.
Speaker 2: It's like it's like lunch making.
Speaker 1: Like I'd be like, oh, I used to hate it, like and I'm not a planner.
Speaker 2: You guys know that.
Speaker 1: So I wasn't the type of mom I tried on occasion that would like sort up the lunches the night before and like everything'd be ready to go in the morning. Nope, Uh, it would mean me at like you know, six point thirty and like screaming running through the house like ah, you know, trying to get everything in place.
Speaker 2: But now most of their schools and all of their schools they have lunch that they provide for the.
Speaker 1: Kids and it's free and you know, it's just like one hot lunch choice. So if your kid doesn't like that, you have to like back one. But bo was like my last one that really held out and last year, at the end very end of the year, he's like, Mom, I tried a hot lunch and I was like, oh, and he's like, I think I really like it. So now I'm this year, I'm like, wait, am I never making lunches again? Now? Like slowly things are being stripped of me that were my rite of passage even though I complained about them. Yeah, so there's that. And for us, our school starts in two days, and have I done back to school shopping?
Speaker 2: Hello?
Speaker 1: It's me, of course, not no, nothing, because this is just like me with Christmas, Like do I go Christmas shopping like most parents?
Speaker 2: My friend used to tell me like, oh my gosh, I got the cutest thing for my kid, and it was like August. And I'd always make fun of her and I'd be like, what is wrong with you?
Speaker 1: But do you know what I look at that, I'm like, she's always so calm near the holidays because she has everything done. Me I'm shopping their Christmas list on Christmas Eve. In fact, just the other night, I just had a dream. I forgot about this till I'm speaking about it right now. I had a dream that it was Christmas morning and I woke up and I was like, they haven't given me their Christmas list yet?
Speaker 2: How am I going to go out? What's open right now? What can I get? And I was like panic.
Speaker 1: It was it's like that first day of school and you walk in naked dream but it was Christmas. And it's like, no, that's just me, my lack of planning. I would make my life easier if I would plan. So I just got off on a tangent. But what I was talking about is the fact that back to school is in two days and we have not done back to school shopping. But in my brain, in the Tory brain, in the Tory universe, that complicates everything, a little bit of self sabotage there. I have tomorrow, the day before school starts. So this is me every year. So typically with five in tow, I will head out the morning of the day before school and we'll be buying everything.
Speaker 2: That's a lie.
Speaker 1: It is not the morning, it's like late afternoon the day before school starts, and we will get back like right around dinner time, and there's new sneakers thrown everywhere, and there's socks and there's piles we're pulling it off tab from Target bags and it's like, oh my god, Oh at least I won't have lunches to.
Speaker 2: Make this year. So there's a plus.
Speaker 1: So I'm gonna go back to school shopping tomorrow, which is just ridiculous. It's too late to even like order something on Amazon, Like I can't even get Amazon Prime this fast. Anyway, tomorrow it'll be interesting. So when I was a kid, back to school shopping, at least for me, wasn't a thing because I went to private school. My parents had me in private school my whole life, like from kindergarten.
Speaker 2: Through twelfth grade.
Speaker 1: So it was like uniform shopping like that was something. Actually that was really fun. I have good memories of that because my mom and I would go to uniform shopping and it was Sioux Mills, know if that's still a thing. It was like the uniform place, and they would do it for all schools and we would go and they'd have piles and you'd get to pick your thing and do all that and that was always fun. And then as the years went by, my skirts got shorter and shorter and shorter. I remember that that was fun. I went to an all girls school for high school. It was like middle school, high school all together, and yeah, that was a big thing. And seventh grade, I remember we started in seventh grade and seventh grade, all the girls would wear boxers, like boys boxers. Now they're like boxer shorts they make and you know, and there's so many options now because they finally caught on that girls like wearing boxers. But back then, back in the day, you didn't have that. So you'd just buy like a pack of boys boxers and you'd wear them over your under obviously, and then you would take your skirt and.
Speaker 2: You would roll it because you weren't supposed to hemmicks.
Speaker 1: You get in big trouble if you had a hems because if you got a uniform check at school, they would literally have a tape measure and they would measure the length.
Speaker 2: Of your skirt.
Speaker 1: So you had to be really tricky about it, and you would just go and you'd.
Speaker 2: Roll it, like roll it up, and then.
Speaker 1: If you'd see like a teacher passing by, you'd be like drop the skirt, drop the skirt.
Speaker 2: And like unroll it fast. And we got really good at it.
Speaker 1: But yeah, and then and then there'd always be the girls and you always felt bad. But they didn't get the memo about the short skirt. And not only do they not have like a normal length skirt, but they would like have the skirt all like blow their knees. I don't even know how that's possible unless we did get the skirt heames, but they had to be a certain length and then we just rolled them more. Maybe it was that, Maybe it was that. But I got to say, uniforms rocked. And I know that's not as relatable or accessible for everybody, but it really especially going through your formative years being a girl going to an all girls school, there was none of the pressure of like looking cool or like, you know, brand names. I feel like my kids and I guess I just assumed, because they don't go to this lateist like private school, that public schools wouldn't be as focused on what designers you're wearing. But it's not true, and so it's like you're trying to constantly keep up with something you can't keep up. It's like, well, I have five kids, Like they're not all going to go to school and designer clothes, like it's just not a practical thing for what I can provide for them. So it's challenging because all of their friends are like even my twelve year old Finn like son, you know, you always think like girls are into designer stuff. Like he went through his phase. I think I've talked about it before, where like Colone was the big thing, and any money he would make or gift cards he would get or any you know, can I do this around the house and get like sort of allowance which isn't really a thing.
Speaker 2: Here, but he would get he would spend it.
Speaker 1: On clones and that was the big thing because I think that they saw it on like TikTok and whatever. So he's kind of out of the clone phase, which I'm not mad about. But except we have like a gazillion bottles like lining the walls in his room, but that he never goes. But I actually never buy a Perfumer Clone anymore because I can just go in there and it's like Finn has this giant like wall of them, and I just go and like spray myself.
Speaker 2: I'm like, oh, a smell designer, ready to go.
Speaker 1: Oh god. But yeah, even he was like naming all these designers and these are the t shirts that are in and these are the jeans, like the three hundred dollars jeans, and I'm like, oh my god.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it's ever, never ending.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I wish they had uniforms because I feel like we weren't judged back then on what we wore, and now they're just all judged on what.
Speaker 2: They drive, what they wear, what shoes they have.
Speaker 1: It's just a whole another level of bullying that they don't need.
Speaker 2: I forgot.
Speaker 1: I also have to get them all their pencil cases and notebooks and oh.
Speaker 2: My god, new Stanley cup.
Speaker 1: Just kidding, like if I heard word Stanley cup one more time, because they get these expensive.
Speaker 2: The sounds so archaic now dream holders. You know, it's just people that drink water, so I know nothing about it. But then they lose them. This is how I know bo is becoming.
Speaker 1: Mature is every year he has a vision about like his backpack. Like last year it was Dinosaur, the year before it was Spider Man. And this year he said, Mom, this year I just want all black. I was like, oh, buddy, another rite of passage there. It goes picking out the kiddos stuff. Yeah, he was so into dinosaurs last year and now and with his T shirts, so everything had to be like, you know, a fun logo on it, and it had so first. You know, they grew up so fast so first it went from all like you know, Marvel and like Spider Man and Superman and all that stuff, and then it's like, you know, Mario and Luigi and all Nintendo game and stuff was back in, and then it was like Dinosaur Dinosaur.
Speaker 2: He was all into that.
Speaker 1: And now he tells me I just want plain T shirts like when you meet and he's like, nothing on it. But he actually grew up really fast mid midyear last year and he was like, I only will wear T shirts that say Nike. I'm like, oh fuck me, sorry. I'm like, oh my god, what do you mean? And he's like, mom, I only wear Nike. I was like, okay, Well he's still like Adidas, right, and he's like or Adidas or Puma. Fine, He's like, but T shirt's only Nike. I'm like, oh, I'm great Amazon. But now he's like, I only want plain T shirts, like so it can be any color, but it has to be playing. And he's like and I really like the plain white teas and I really like black teas. And I'm like okay, but he's still into those sports pants.
Speaker 2: Yeah what do they call that sports where?
Speaker 1: I don't know? And his shoes to be Nike, and he's gonna have an all black backpack that I'm going to get tomorrow afternoon, that morning, the.
Speaker 2: Eve before back to school. Yep, that's my life. Oh my god. Well, happy back to school. It's okay, guys. You know what we did it. We survived summer and now back to the grinds. Have fun,