Speaker 1: Hey, that folks. It is Sunday, June fourteenth, Dan, we won, so let's tear shit up. And with that, welcome to this episode of Amy and DJ. It's oh U four Sunday. The Knicks with the championship for the first time in fifty plus years. But Robes, why is it every time we it's only after a win. It seems that those fans just start tearing stuff up in the town.
Speaker 2: And it's the reason why I never want to be out there in the crowds. I look, both of my daughters were last night. We are thousands of miles away. You set your alarm to watch the game. I woke up just in time to see them win. But we both were getting updates from our daughters there in New York City, and it's always unnerving to know, at least yours was safe up in her apartment, but to know that they're out there. And yes, everyone should be happy, everyone is celebrating. So why does it turn violence?
Speaker 3: I don't unders We.
Speaker 1: Say we don't understand. But when I tell you what the scientists and the professors and the researchers who study fan violence, what they say this is about, you go, Okay, that makes very good sense, but we do want to give your heads up. We wanted to hop on here. Yes, give you a little history about why people do this and some of the worst ones we've seen in history, and some of the worst sports fans. Riots are not fans pissed because they lost, it's them happy because.
Speaker 3: They wont That's what I don't understand.
Speaker 1: It'll all make sense, But yes, we want to give an update at least of what we're seeing in New York and Robes. The police are still piecing together New York NYPD just how many arrests and even how many people might have been injured and even matter had to make their way to the hospital. But right now we just want to give you the latest as we know it as of this recording. It was a bit of an ugly knight tech.
Speaker 3: Yes, we just know multiple arrests. We don't have a number yet.
Speaker 2: New York City officials say, honestly, they're so overwhelmed they can't give us numbers until later today, so we'll be waiting for that. But we do know that, and we certainly have seen the video. We were watching it live. Actually hear this more in Amsterdam. It was about two three o'clock in the morning. They're in New York. But yeah, we saw fans already clashing with police. We saw folks smashing windows, getting up on light poles and statues and school buses either.
Speaker 1: You see the one of the guy hanging literally hanging like it was on the monkey bars, but we it was hanging from a streets lightvel.
Speaker 2: It's unbelievable what people are suddenly willing to do when they're happy. Yes, trying to get on a moving fire truck. One of the buses ended up engulfed in flames. But you could see people were rocking school buses in Times Square. That's how just the adrenaline that was surging through these fans. But then gunshots were fired around forty second Street and Broadway in the heart of Times Square.
Speaker 1: Wait they hurt, We don't know if I haven't seen them, tell me if you saw a different reporting gunshots were heard. No idea of any injuries or actually if anybody was actually targeted.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we don't think.
Speaker 2: It's probably someone shooting up in the air like we have seen plenty of other times.
Speaker 3: So thank god, it looks like no one was injured.
Speaker 2: But there are videos of the sound, and they say there were at least seven gunshots, and it showed people cowering and like you know, falling to the ground or running for cover. Because yeah, if someone is drunk shooting bullets in the air out of excitement, God knows where those bullets are going, and how well equipped that person is to be shooting bullets in the middle of Times Square.
Speaker 3: That's insane.
Speaker 2: So thankfully police have said no one was injured in that incident.
Speaker 1: But again, this is happening in the city where the game was not played right and by fans who are actually happy. Ropes. How many times everybody can roapes after help call some college football. Yes, he'll pick up the goal posts and go carry it down the street, wreck stuff along the way. We have seen this time after time after time. Why is it after a win? And sometimes robes? If I tell you, or if I ask and ask anybody listening, like you remember some violent riots in the past, and you'll start naming cities. Okay, Boston, Philadelphia, Chicago.
Speaker 3: Detroit, rabid sports fans.
Speaker 1: Raised sports fans, So let's start there. Rose. The researchers will tell you they study this and it makes sense to you. You said, I don't know why they do this. Here are your factors, men, mob mentality, testosterone, alcohol, anonymity. You put all those things together and they start. They make the perfect blend and roads. The reason they say that it's worse after a win than a loss. Men's testosterone levels go through the roof. Wow, after a win, I.
Speaker 2: Was thinking adrenaline. But I guess testosterone is to blame, and so we're not. Women aren't perpetrating any of these violent acts or moments of mayhem.
Speaker 1: Look, a woman is just as capable of anything that a man is capable.
Speaker 2: Of, But we aren't fueled by testosterone. Do not do this, and that's Look. I would have loved to have been out on the streets, but even if we were in New York City, Hell no would I have been.
Speaker 1: There's no way for safety reasons. No matter how much you want to party and play, you just know better to get involved in a mess like this. But robes, they do say men are going out there, and particularly you have young men, young men out there. Another factor here is you get into a mob mentality. You get into a mentality where you think, oh, I can do anything I want to do under a relative anonymity. They can't do anything to me because the guy over there is doing it and those ten over there doing it. How am I going to get arrested?
Speaker 3: There's too many of us to know who's doing what to him.
Speaker 1: So it's coming together now. All these guys who've been what drinking for the past several hours, who are excited about the game that's been going back and forth, they've been on the edge of their seat robes. All that energy is pent up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we were down sixteen at one point.
Speaker 1: It's well, you're ready, you're on the edge of your seat, and all of a sudden there's a victory, and it's eleven thirty and you've had seven beers, and you go outside and you see somebody else who's had seven beers who's just excited as you. What happens You get caught up in that euphilia and you start acting a damn fool. Now I said, you just run into one person boyfriend to ten more, twenty more. There is a thousand more out here in the same mindset that you have, and all of a sudden you start misbehaving. That part made.
Speaker 2: Sense, But is it just a few people who are subject to this, or I guess just are likely I don't want to say victims, but likely the victims of their own undoing. Basically, my point is, when you were in your twenties, could you see yourself having done this or some of your friends doing this. Obviously, when you get older, you get a little wiser and maybe just have zero time for any of this craziness, but when you're young, when you were younger, could you see yourself being in that mob. That's what I'm that's my point. I didn't think I thought that was the answer.
Speaker 1: No, But robes. These aren't all just hoodlums and thugs and hooligans out there in the street. They are a rabbit sports fans. They are young men that you put alcohol in them, you put sports in there, and you put them around each other. Robes.
Speaker 3: This is pent up powder keg robes.
Speaker 1: Okay, thank you. I could have just started with that, but you add all those things. But we also talk about and this is something you always are about. I'm not as much on it, but when there is a big event, you're.
Speaker 3: Like, it's fun to be out I do like to be out there.
Speaker 1: It's fun to be with a crowd. It's fun to be communal, Robes. Don't you want to experience the first championship of the Nicks in fifty three years with people? So this is the same way you wanted to be communal for them, they wanted to be communal as well. Their blood alcohol levels is just a little higher, right, and he's twenty two, he's going to behave a little differently. He wants the same thing you want, but he's fueled by something different than You're fueled by alcohol and testosterone is coursing through his veins. Roobes. This is how the guys that study this crap look at it. Now, does that make more sense? You said, hey, that why do people I don't have any idea why?
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, why they start breaking things and stealing things and looting and breaking windows? And then I start thinking, you know, are these just assholes looking for the opportunity when everyone else is celebrating they can just go and break shit because that's all they ever really wanted to do.
Speaker 1: Anyway, There is some element of that, but not overwhelmingly according to these scientists. The other thing that will make sense, Ropes is that you're trying to show you're in a group of people who are huge fans, right, We're all out here two in the morning, celebrating, and we must always must be big fans. But then what do you try to do when you get around a group of friends. You're trying to one ofp each other who's the bigger fan, who can do the most damage, who can do the biggest display. Oh he's on top of a car. I can go on top of a bus. Oh you're on top of a bus. I can go get on top of that light pole. Oh you're on top of a regular car. I'm get on the top of a police car. So you just have a constantin one upmanship of testosterone fueled alcohol injected. Dude.
Speaker 2: Let me go ahead now and light this bus on fire. Let me shoot bullets into the air. I mean that just to me there. Yeah, some folks take it to a whole other level, but this is a total dude thing.
Speaker 3: You're right.
Speaker 2: No women were hanging off of like Honestly, even imagine imagine a woman hanging off of a lightful, or like jumping up.
Speaker 1: And down on a police cruiser right there.
Speaker 2: I cannot imagine that, or taking a lighter and going, hey, let me set this bus on fire. I just cannot envision a woman doing any of those things.
Speaker 1: Yah, you say you can't envision a woman, But can you also envision a forty year old man or a thirty five year old man? This is a young man's game.
Speaker 3: Is it's a young man's game.
Speaker 1: It's what happens, and you get them in that environment and it's not all hooligant. Yes, throwing a bottle in the direction a police officer, you are qualified as a criminal. Yeah, generally speaking, robes, those folks are fueled by alcohol, adrenaline, testosterone, and euphoria. Team just won.
Speaker 2: Those poor cops because you know, they're celebrating the knicks wins when they're huge Knicks fans, most of them. But now they got to sit there and police all this craziness. Like, I wonder how many of them were, Like, on one.
Speaker 3: Hand, I want the Knicks to win.
Speaker 2: On the other hand, it'd make for a much better night if they didn't. Hey, how about this, What if they had won at home game six? God, thank god they were out of town. Literally how much worse would it have been had the victory happened in New York?
Speaker 3: Would that have made a difference?
Speaker 1: Yes, they would have had to shut down all a Manhattan, just close all streets, everybody stay home, maybe even had to do a curfew. I mean, you want to celebrate and you want it to be what it is, but robes they had to bring out the mounted police, right, they have their own horses trying to escort slowly push people out of the street.
Speaker 2: I mean, they know how to do this with two year's even certain other big party nights. But and that is the good news that NYPD is probably the most well trained, most experienced in crowd control in you know, big celebratory events. We know how to do things in New York that way because we have experience doing it. But my god, think about the fact that it did happen. The wind was in San Antonio, but the celebrations were on a Saturday night. That's pretty cool in terms of just giving people the opportunity to enjoy this victory in this wind without worrying about getting up the next morning for work.
Speaker 1: You got to help me with a band name is it five seconds a Summer?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, five seconds of Summer? I saw that.
Speaker 1: Okay, So here's the thing also in New York. Yeah, what a night Saturday. It wasn't the weather nice?
Speaker 3: The weather was night.
Speaker 2: You've got a nice You've got a concert amount of Square garden five.
Speaker 1: Seconds a summer sold out, massive Square go yes, folks, the garden is always in business. So there were concerts sold out. People were watching freaking the knicks outside on the big screen.
Speaker 3: That's crazy. You've had what World Cup matches?
Speaker 2: It was Brazil and Morocco, and Morocco playing their first game in New Jersey.
Speaker 3: So you've got Moroccans the top ten billions.
Speaker 1: All this is going on in New York last night. So it could have been worse, like it could have been. We're waiting to hear the numbers and whatnot, but it could have been worse. The last two factors, I'll give you robes that matter that'll make sense to you. The time of the game matters. And the venue. Is it in a downtown in an urban area or is it out in a rural area? Is it a smaller market kind of thing. That will make a difference as well. Those other two factors. The time of the game. You we've been to games now where you hear the announcement sometimes or even go up to the bar in the fourth quarter. Yeah, we stopped serving in the third quarter. And that's why they.
Speaker 2: Do it, yeah, to keep the routiness to a minimum, because the more alcohol, yes, the rout of your crowds become. And yet when did they win? Because let's see, I woke up. I woke up around four something in the morning here in Amsterdam. You set your alarm for when games.
Speaker 3: So I heard the.
Speaker 2: Alarm when I was like thinking about getting up, and I was like, now, save it for the end. But that means the game was over? What around midnight? Eleven thirty midnight? Yeah, because woke up atour thirty to watch the last few minutes. That's the perfect timing, right around midnight. You got a victory fifty three years in the making. Not since nineteen seventy three have the New York Knicks won an NBA finals And so yeah, most of us, including me, have never seen or know of a Knixt victory until now. This is this was historic and it was so cool. Our kids were sending us videos. I got fireworks and the crowd and the excitement and the hell yeahs.
Speaker 3: And Sabine was sending you videos as well.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: That was the one I have never I text all game long with a thirteen year old girl watch say the game. That is how crazy Nicks Mania has gotten, and it is just a fun time there. But Robes, it could We were waiting for a full report from an NYPD about how tough things were, how many arrests and all this stuff. It rode overwhelmingly. Yes, there were some knuckleheads and there were some problems. It didn't seem like it was the big disaster or mayhem it could have been. But there have been some major disasters and mayhem after yes championships and in particular NBA Finals. Stay here give you a reminder of how things have gone in some other championship nights. We continue here on Amy and TJ on this Sunday, June fourteenth, the day after the Knicks won the first championship in fifty three years, Knicks fans went a little crazy. He has few incidents, multiple arrests. As they say, there was some damage done around town, not as bad as it could have been. Ropes. We just went through some of the factors they say are the reasons for people rioting doing damage after their team actually wins. Does it make more sense now because I would say the same thing I why do people do this? And then I started reading what the researchers put together, like.
Speaker 2: Okay, testosterone, eh, okay, I get I don't understand it, but I guess I get it.
Speaker 1: You don't understand testosterone, No, I don't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it drives up, just like you don't understand estrogen. No, and progesterone and all of our hormones.
Speaker 1: That i've I don't even know what that second was for, but yes it is when you break it down, it really is some simple stuff and a mob mentality, alcohol fueled and testosterone, babe, and it's just a powder keg, as you say. Nineteen ninety though, baby NBA Finals Detroit Pistons versus the Portland Trailblazers, one hundred and twenty people ended up in the hospital and eight people died. Wow, after a team wins a title.
Speaker 2: That is disgusting. I don't even remember that, honestly, that's so long ago, but I did not. I don't have a memory of that. Eight people died after that, and.
Speaker 1: One hundred and twenty people in the hospital is a lot and countless arrests there. But robes go back to everybody remembers the bulls championships, the two to three piece with Michael Jordan Robes. There were riots after every single one of those. And in the second, the nineteen ninety two that was the second championship year, they had one thousand people injured. What a thousand people injured in that Yes, it got rowdy often. There was a team that was stomped to death in nineteen ninety seven after that championship, and after they won several. The governor there actually brought in the National Guard nineteen ninety seven to protect the streets. It got really ugly there.
Speaker 3: I have chills now.
Speaker 2: I'm if I had known any of those statistics, I would have tried to tell my daughters they weren't allowed to go out. Wouldn't have worked, but I would have tried to. I would have been more vocal. You know, I don't think I realized how deadly specifically NBA finals have been in years past. Have we learned from those mistakes in terms of crowd control and policing, and so now they enter anticipated and they make sure they create certain I guess what boundaries, and they get better. They pen people in certain ways.
Speaker 1: You saw this happen in New Yeah, even them canceling the watch party out or not wanting to have the party when well President Trump was there.
Speaker 2: But even after a game four was it they did the same thing, but.
Speaker 1: They just it is or the it's yes, they've gotten better, but rob you get, really, how many thousands of drunk, euphoric people in a mob? It is a mob mindset?
Speaker 3: Wow, you have a lot.
Speaker 2: So you did the research and I'm looking at what you've written here all the different championships that have resulted in significant injury and or death.
Speaker 1: You'll remember the back to back World Series for the Dodgers. It got ugly out there for both of those. Twenty twenty three Yukon when its first championship ropes, it got ugly on their campus. Again. The game wasn't in stores Connecticut where they are, but they had thirty nine arrests there. Vehicles woul vandalize. They actually tore down a light pole and ram the student union after they won. Again, this is not even the town where they won. There were but robes get the use of that last line. They actually kicked kids out of school after this. One of them was supposed to graduate in a month and got expelled and got expelled.
Speaker 3: I mean that to me, that's just it's the I know.
Speaker 2: I understand there is a sociological psychological phenomenon known as groupthink, mob mentality, all of that, but I still have a hard.
Speaker 3: Time getting my head.
Speaker 2: Look, I obviously you and I are immersed in college football, and we have seen the passion that is in each campus, and certainly I've had We've had fantastic losses and amazing victories.
Speaker 3: But never, in my wildest dreams have I ever wanted to smash something, break something, swing from something, destroy something, be violent in any way. I would just prefer to raise a glass of champagne and jump up and down.
Speaker 1: Because you don't have a starchrone coursing through your faints, I don't understand. Well, how about this. Do you understand? You have watched me watch countless Arkansas games now, and you have watched me sometimes stand I will stand for the entire game. Yes, And you've seen me be on edge and it's pinned up, and it's a little this and that, and then they pull off a win and you see a release from me.
Speaker 3: You aren't breaking things in the apartment.
Speaker 1: But if I had a little more alcohol than me and you put me around several more guys with the same amount of alcohol who are just as excited about watching that razorback win as I am. Put me with two hundred guys like that, four hundred guys, two thousand guys out in the middle of the street. Yeah, I would probably leave, but.
Speaker 3: I still can't see you doing anything.
Speaker 1: Probably wouldn't.
Speaker 3: You're a bad example.
Speaker 1: And the last point I'll make Robes is Game three of the NBA Finals. The Knicks one every game in the NBA Finals except for the one President Trump attendant. Yeah, even that played a role in a factor and some things being pent up. They couldn't release because they weren't allowed to get close to the arena. We couldn't do our watch party. You moved us a little farther uptown. This was the first time they just got to cut loose. A championship won.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: As of now, as of this recording, we don't have any reports of injuries and certainly not any debts, and we'll take that as a victory. We'll hope those numbers hold. And yes, some people may have been arrested, but this is exciting and we've got a parade coming on Thursday, so they'll be more policing and more security in place, but hopefully it does give everybody a chance, maybe with a little less alcohol in their systems, to celebrate the.
Speaker 1: Next it'll be in the daytime early. They're our neighborhood. We'll miss it. They're going to we are missing I know, the Knicks parade coming through our neighbors.
Speaker 2: The funny thing is, we were absolutely excited about going to see World Cup watch parties in the nation in that they're being played, and that's why we decided.
Speaker 3: But I don't think we ever Obviously, when we made this trip, we had.
Speaker 2: No idea the Knicks were going to the finals, and we had no idea that the Knicks would actually win for the first time.
Speaker 3: In fifty three years. So it is what it is.
Speaker 1: They went to Game seven. We would have made it back in time for the parade.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, well.
Speaker 1: Here we are well folks. Always appreciate you spending a little time with us. Congrats once again to the Knicks and all of New York City. With that, we'll talk to you soon on TJ olds on behalf of my dear Amy Roboch. We will talk to y'lsoon.