Speaker 1: I leave in I you wanna way back home? Either way, we want to be there. Doesn't matter how much baggage you claim and give us time and a terminol and gay aid.
Speaker 2: We want to send you off in start.
Speaker 1: We want to welcome you back home. Tell us all about it. We scared her? Was it fine?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 1: Porn? Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride?
Speaker 4: Do you need to ride?
Speaker 1: Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride? Do your need to ride?
Speaker 4: Ride? Do you need.
Speaker 2: With Karen and Chris welcome to Do you need to ride? This is Chris Fairbanks.
Speaker 1: And this is Karen Kilgaroff.
Speaker 2: Hello, my friend.
Speaker 1: Hi.
Speaker 2: I mean anything to report in your neighborhood, not to hijack the theme of Christian Duguet's podcast, which everyone should listen to, Valley Heat, But do you have any I want to talk about some things that happened in my neighborhood. And I didn't want a steamroll, like I clearly already am.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're just you're just announcing that you're steamrolling.
Speaker 2: God damn it.
Speaker 1: Yes, here's what today was garbage day in my neighborhood. I am very resentful that I have to take out my own garbage cans. They're heavy, they're unwieldy. I'm always in a weird morning outfit that I wouldn't want to get caught in outside.
Speaker 2: By saying by wieldy, do you mean your garbage cans don't have wheels?
Speaker 1: No, that would be unweely. Okay, it's they're unwieldy. They're always heavy, like the Yeah, the one for gardening is always like so heavy.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It just is like get up in the morning and do a chore, which I it just brings out the twelve year old in me of like eh, and there's I'm doing it to no one.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then garbage day all day, there's just like garbage cans everywhere all day. It's just a is that kind of day?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah. And I have a frustrating situation where in my five units there are between all of us fifteen trash cans and one, I repeat one recycling bin. So oh, I know this is a federal offense, but I did shimmy on down the alley and I decided that this this neighbor had enough recycling bins, and I actually did steal it, and I stole a second one for my neighbor so.
Speaker 1: Now, can I just warn you they do have long numbers on the front that can be referenced by the city.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I considered that, still did it.
Speaker 1: And you don't care?
Speaker 4: Oh I see?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well you know my neighborhood is it has an edge to it. It was featured in training day and I'm sorry, but I I do things a little differently on the east side.
Speaker 1: Okay, fine, I mean you got to the.
Speaker 2: Main thing I want. I almost met our Lord yesterday. I was walking, okay, I was just walking pedestrian style on the sidewalk, and for some reason, I decided to go into a light jog even though I had, I guess because I had groceries in each hand. It felt like I was doing lunge shouldered things. So I started running with the groceries, and as I was crossing a street, this car that was turning left. Someone behind them was frustrated that they were stopped because I was crossing the street That's why they were stopped, and they rushed around them, slammed into them right as I was crossing the street, and the car just replaced where I was as I jumped under the curb like I pulled a muscle on my leg. I jumped like fifteen feet. Their tire popped like that car almost very close to hit me. I've not been running. I really think I would have been hit. Then I ran. The guy took off and I ran in the street behind him just to let him know, yes, smiling, let him know I had eyes on his license plate. And then he pulled over and the people got out of their flat tire car and joined me, and then I left the scene so I might wait, I foiled a crime. I foiled a hit.
Speaker 1: And quick quick cue. Okay, the car that almost hit you was the car that got hit? Is that correct?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: They so?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: What was that second car doing?
Speaker 3: Like it.
Speaker 2: Was like an angry speed up turn into them, scrape the whole side left side of their car and took a right turn around them. He was he went from the turn lane to the middle lane and took his right turn and crashed right into them, pushing them to where I was. And I was like, Oh, this guy's unhinged. He's going And then it was sad because it was just kind of a confused older guy. Oh no, And then I was like, oh man, he's done driving, but he should be, you know, anyway, clean the streets in two different ways.
Speaker 1: We love when you share your stories. It's not steamrolling, but they often end in tragedy. Right right, that is a piece that we need to take a look at it.
Speaker 2: I gotta work on my punch lines.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's punchdowns. Can we go into a gully and then we have to introduce the guest.
Speaker 2: I know, I know, I should have gone with the kid that's been doing bird calls with a dog with him hiding in the bushes, who I confronted the other day, But that's for another time. I'm sorry, Carrot. If he has a dog with him, if he's doing bird calls, he's pretending to hunt, and I think that he might be a weirdo.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm sure of it. But we only got a slice of the store exactly. You just did a perfect teaser for our next.
Speaker 2: Dip, right exactly to come on this kid doing bird calls with a dog hiding in tall grass, who I have also confronted. More on that later.
Speaker 1: When you confronted him, did he have an old man's face? No, he started night chamelion.
Speaker 2: He was a young kid, mid teens, and he started singing, and not in a in a Hey, I have talent and I'm singing. It was more in a hey, this is the John Wayne Boubey Show, and I'm going to be a serial killer and I'm going to sing to you right now, and and I was. I complimented his voice and got the hell out of there. But yeah, I've really.
Speaker 1: It's a very training day neighborhood. Now that you tell us all those stories, I feel like there is intensity and crime going on over.
Speaker 2: There, that we are a city of unrest right now. People were walking and now they're expressing themselves and it's not in the best ways. I've gone too long, and I really want to introduce today's.
Speaker 1: Guest or yeah, we got it. We got to bring her in on this for.
Speaker 2: Sure, Karen. Will you do the honors please, I've talked too much.
Speaker 1: She plays at clubs in colleges all over this Great Nations, Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome Silea Sharp.
Speaker 3: Hello, everyone, Hi, Shala, Okay, let's get into it.
Speaker 4: Okay, thank you.
Speaker 3: First with the recycling U Herbie Kirby's do you call them Herbie Kirby's.
Speaker 2: I've never heard of Herbie.
Speaker 4: I'm okay, that is maybe it is an East Coast thing.
Speaker 3: That's what I had always heard them called in Atlanta, right.
Speaker 4: So, which, by the.
Speaker 3: Way, I moved from Atlanta about ten years ago, and they literally were just getting recycling booms.
Speaker 4: We don't care about the environment down there.
Speaker 1: Twenty ten.
Speaker 3: Yeah, twenty thirteen is when I finally got one of those, and then there was just like.
Speaker 4: Uh, paper, only they were unseeing.
Speaker 3: So, like Karen said, they do have numbers across the front that correspond to like whatever house it's assigned to, But the pickup dudes are very lazy, right, and.
Speaker 4: So they can easily.
Speaker 3: I have found my trash can in front of houses like a couple of doors down right, So you're absolutely in the right to take them because no one's gonna think anything because it's a neighbor's house.
Speaker 4: It's like, ah, this is the general cosinity.
Speaker 2: My motivation for doing it was because when I moved in, we did have three and they, like you said, they were displaced. So I'm just doing right vigilanti street justice.
Speaker 4: That's what.
Speaker 3: Yes, we just call that village living right, takes a village to get things, you know, recycled. Yes, now, okay, Uh, there's so much I don't even know.
Speaker 2: I was almost hit by a car. And then I.
Speaker 4: Mentioned almost hit by a car.
Speaker 2: The boy that's about to hunt joggers.
Speaker 3: Yeah you think. I mean the dog is alive, that's with them, right, So that's a wine keeping him from being a complete weirdo.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's not a taxidermy or stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I would I would, uh before really alerting the rest of the neighborhood, which definitely they also have eyes on this kid. Keep an eye on the dog, right, because the kid could just be a birding weirdo, which is its own situation, right. But I'm really trying to be accept I'm trying to be accepting of other.
Speaker 4: People's you know, bring me to your desires and stuff.
Speaker 2: So okay, yeah, I did come up behind it because I was on the running trail and he was totally hiding, and I heard these noises and they were annoying squeaks, like it sounded like grass in between the thumb that awful high oh yeah yeah yeah, So I'm like, that's annoying. And then I was like is that but I thought it was a bird. I'm like, is that a bird up there? And I heard his voice like no, I'm it's a person. And then but he didn't reveal himself. I'm like, so you're just hiding in the bushes. So I went behind him and talked to him. I went up on the street on my way back, and I was like, what are you doing? And he didn't have much to say, and that's when he started singing, that's oh.
Speaker 3: That's what Okay, yeah, no, no, sure, okay, yeah, but still keep an eye on the dog, okay, just because I feel like that dog is going to be the one that really.
Speaker 4: Is going to tell the tale. Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Because one day there's just going to be a dog and like a and one blade of grass in its mouth, and it's just gonna be like leash with no owner on it, and it's gonna be like emergency, something.
Speaker 4: Something has happened.
Speaker 2: Or do you think he's training the dog to go hunt people?
Speaker 4: Does it look like a hunting type of dog? It?
Speaker 2: Does it straight out a duck hunt the video game?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: Yeah, the giggling dog.
Speaker 4: Did it look like it? Oh? Wow? Real?
Speaker 3: Okay, so like a hound? Okay, it ain't nothing. But did it look like it was having fun? I?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was engaged. Like I'm doing this with my friend.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it didn't seem like a cat captive dog. And I have seen him walking the dog. Okay, so they have dancing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, keep I would say the dog is really your point of contact here. Yes, I don't think Okay, he's gonna have much to say, but I feel like that dog for sure.
Speaker 1: The next of ken for any phone calls that will have to get made or any something happened, and yes there's a next level emergency contact that needs to be made. It's like we have to get a hold of the dog. The dog will know right.
Speaker 2: Yes, hopefully the phone numbers right on his collar.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I hope. So. Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: By the way, you're in New York. Now, have you ever almost gotten hit by a car in New York City?
Speaker 4: Oh? Certainly?
Speaker 3: Actually no, not really, only because I'm definitely just looking out for cars. I think the one time I came close, I was crossing a street, no car was around, and so I go ahead and step, and then some car came out of nowhere and whipped around the corner, and the person driving and I happened to lock eyes right when it happened, and so we both had like a real mean mug, just like.
Speaker 4: A you dirty rat kind of yeah.
Speaker 3: And then the second they passed in our eyes unlocked, we each realized we knew each other.
Speaker 2: So then you're kidding.
Speaker 3: He stopped short and hopped out and was like, so I was Drennan And then we hadn't seen each other. He had recently moved to New York and he's someone I knew from Atlanta and he had lived in Chicago, but he had recently moved. So this was how I was seeing that he was there, but seconds before we were two New Yorkers ready to kill each other. And then we realized that we were old friends from the mid nineties.
Speaker 1: So it was that's like a lifetime movie.
Speaker 4: That's yeah, it was. It was.
Speaker 3: It was a lot, and it was like that all was forgiven. You didn't even address it. We didn't even address Hey, how you doing trying to kill folks?
Speaker 4: Noth Yeah, yeah, I said nothing. I just let it go.
Speaker 2: But that's great. That's a lesson. And because the time I once had a commercial audition and some guy was a lunatic in traffic and we yelled at each other, and then he was the guy operating the camera during my audition. We were both rushing to the same place, and I did address it and.
Speaker 4: Show of course, yeah, no, sorry about out there, Yeah I did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I I've had that conversation with someone's like a comic. We started around the same time, and you know, we were booked on a show and some woman driving next to me was in a turn lane and didn't realize it and tried to cut me off to get into the lane to go straight, and I wouldn't let him because I know that that you got to turn and make it, do what you gotta do. And it turned out to be the mother of this comic, and so this comic of course, was just like very excited for me to meet her mother and she's like, this is my mom. And then her mom was just like, oh yeah, you something about you wouldn't let me on driving over something like that, because she's kind of a sassy person. But this woman was also closer I'm closer in age to the mother than I was to the comic, and so I'm like, oh, no, I'm not going to give you respect because you're her mother. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So I was like, oh, you mean a street where you were in the turn lane?
Speaker 3: And you didn't know where you were going, so you tried to cut over and cut me off, and I wouldn't let you.
Speaker 4: And they just sit there and stared at each other for a while. Oh No, I love it.
Speaker 3: And I still encounter the woman because I'm still friends with that comic, and I.
Speaker 4: Know that she still has that in the back of her head.
Speaker 2: Yea.
Speaker 4: And I know that if there's ever.
Speaker 3: A falling out between me and the comic, that the mom's going to be like, you know, I never liked her.
Speaker 4: She tried to run me off.
Speaker 3: But you know, I mean, I guess if that comic has a falling out with her mom, I'll be like, you know, I never liked your mom.
Speaker 4: She tried to let Yeah.
Speaker 1: If I may just give you my opinion, I love the way those the cutoff people though, Like this always happens on Laurel Canyon. You've probably driven in Los Angeles, so you know that there's a crazy thing that happens if you're coming over Laurel Canyon from the valley where if you're in the right hand lane, they force you to turn onto Mulholland, But if you're in the left hand lane, it gets really trafficky because it's just one lane to go over Laurel Canyon, So people try to pass everybody in the right hand lane and then cut over at the last second, and then so the left hand lane becomes literally people driving in perfect bumper to bumper like so that no car can get in, and the cars that try to get in are literally like try to threaten your life at the very last second to get in. And it is the craziest like good versus evil, Like it is so overtly you guys are trying to cheat and we're not going to let you cheat things. And my thing is those people like how do you do this? And like feel fine, how do you do that where you just skipped thirty people knowing that everybody's waiting to go to the same place, and you're just like like that mother of the comic is like you were in the wrong and you actually think you're gonna like sass me down about how you were in the wrong, Like in no way.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know that's how I feel when I am.
Speaker 3: If I was that were me and I was in the wrong and I had to turn, I'd be like, oh, I guess I got a turn, you know, I don't know where I'm going.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I always a time to go around the block. I'm not going to be forcedful. And these people are always in BMW's right.
Speaker 1: White BMW's there, always white car.
Speaker 4: Interesting. Interesting, Yeah, I definitely.
Speaker 3: I mean I when when I had a car, it was always something that was purchased off of Craigslist. So like, I will drive and try to make sure I'm in the right lanes, but if you are trying to cut over, I will do the bumper to bumper thing to keep you from getting over. And I do not care if you hit my car. I also don't care. I'm like, hey, it's completely paid for, I.
Speaker 4: Have full coverage. Do your best.
Speaker 3: I've set it up so that you will.
Speaker 4: You will suffer, not me.
Speaker 2: Yes, In New York you have to be more assertive, right, Like I anytime I've been in a cab there, I'm like on edge because all the cars are moving and they're close together, but it's pretty controlled. It just makes me nervous because I'm used to Iree California, right, but it did it. It's just intimidating and screw riding a bike there like in the quick.
Speaker 3: Yes, right, I have only driven in New York once since moving here. Oh, because I'm like, y'all are nuts.
Speaker 4: I don't understand. Like I'm I'm used to Atlanta traffic, which is on par with LA traffic. There's a lot of it, totally, yeah.
Speaker 3: And at some point you just kind of get real zen about it. You just surrender to the expressway. You know, you're just you float above it. You don't even pay attention anymore. But here it felt like everyone was. All the movements were very furtive. Everybody's just looking over their shoulders at all times, and I'm like, what's wrong. And then I rented a car and I did drive through the city and I realized, Oh, everybody's trying to move much faster than they're allowed to.
Speaker 4: Like, if you are like, oh, the speed.
Speaker 3: Limits twenty five, then I guess I'll do like twenty seven. Right, Fine, everybody is around you just like going nuts, trying to move fast and they can't because the speed limit. Like I'm doing twenty seven, yeah, while I'm able to coast at that speed because I'm like, well, I guess I'm not in a hurry or it's not that important to me for everyone to hear me coming or.
Speaker 4: Any of these things. Yeah. Yeah, it's just a different It is just a different mindset.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: I haven't been on the expressways here in New York because I don't like whatever it is they consider merging.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what is it?
Speaker 1: Like? Really? Is it too fast? Too short?
Speaker 4: It's too short.
Speaker 3: It's very it's very short, and I mean, I don't I know there's time. There's spaces at a premium here, so they don't have the space to do those long leisure.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But you know sometimes they have like a stoplight at the end and then it just goes from red to green, so you're at the edge and then it's just green.
Speaker 4: Go go get in there. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's so scary. Yeah, Like on the Bay Bridge in San Francisco, there's one light to get on and I'm like, you have to peel out. You have to have like a powerful car to not be in danger if.
Speaker 1: You don't have pick up, like when that light goes and you can't like take off and go. If you have any kind of guard that goes like you or builds it up, you're screwed. Everyone hates you.
Speaker 3: There.
Speaker 1: I had a getting on the one oh one, which was one of those. It was purely for the traffic on the one on one, but there was one of those lights and it was red and I got honked and I was just like that. So it's so la. It's like we all know the rule here one car per light and and it's like literally like call any way, break the law because I insist.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's a well you guys are making me miss driving.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, we we.
Speaker 2: Talk about just because you know, this used to be a podcast in the car and we'll be again soon, but we do talk about car stuff. And that is my least favorite, specifically where it's a red light and it literally says no right on red, And even then people will honk. They're like, come on, break the law. It's a honk that says, don't be a woosp why are you following the rules. I'm like, I always maniacally point try and point at it. But from behind you can't tell what I'm doing. It just looks like I'm doing a stay alive dance.
Speaker 1: It looks like you're doing the turning on the inside light to look for something. It's dating.
Speaker 4: Guy's not even paying attention. She's looking at him like fu okay, great.
Speaker 3: So then this is the perfect place for me to bring this up because I haven't found anyone.
Speaker 4: To talk to about this yet.
Speaker 3: So when I do drive, it's usually when I go back to Atlanta, So like three four times a year, I go rent a car, drive around, get it out of my system so I can come back here and be amongst the rats and the money makers. But I so, Atlanta has changed so much that their street lights have changed. So we used to be a big like you know, you got your red light and then you got your two you know, you have your left turn lane, and then you have an arrow for that side and then just you know, yellow and green for the right side or whatever.
Speaker 4: Now instead of.
Speaker 3: Having the arrow that to let you know, okay, you're all clear, left turn, okay, slow it up because we're gonna let the other people go now, okay, don't go anywhere, they just have a flashing yellow, which means do what you want.
Speaker 4: I don't know, Like, what is this freedom I need? What do you mean I can?
Speaker 3: Like, I was gonna do this anyway, but this flashing yellow makes me feel like I'm not doing it the right way, and so I'm like, why would you give me a flashing yellow.
Speaker 2: It's basically saying yield. And what yield is telling both parties is hey, it's up to you whether this other person leaves or dies. Yeah, and I just met this stranger.
Speaker 3: It feels so strange because I'm like, I mean, I guess what I've been doing is yielding, But now that you've put a name on it, I don't know if I understand it anymore.
Speaker 1: Well, that's because I think yield is an old fashioned concept from a time when we had decorum and decency in this nation, and now that people are like post quarantine, psycho, I gotta get mine, I will absolutely kill you. The energy is so bad lately that we cannot just allow people to yield and work it out amongst themselves. We need actually more directions and more specificity because these days, like my favorite thing lately that I see is when people and this is a very la thing, but there's a lot of people who are looking for the address they're looking they don't know where they're going, and they just got here. And there's a lot of people trying to take a left when there is a left turn lane they could merge into to go over them and do their business. They just stay in that inner Oh what is actually the real left lane? They use it as the turn light.
Speaker 4: That's where people are speeding right.
Speaker 1: Yes, and it's kind of like then they slow down that fast lane and then they're kind of like, hey, look this is about me right now. And it's like, this is what makes people gives people road rage and makes people kill each other? Is that kind of like your way or the highway? No content?
Speaker 3: I will pull off off no matter what. I won't pull onto his shoulder, even if I'm supposed to.
Speaker 4: Be turning left.
Speaker 3: I'm like, oh, the Lord will get me over there, But first I got to see where I'm going.
Speaker 4: I do that when I'm walking.
Speaker 3: I'm walking and I need to answer something on my phone. I will make my way over so I'm standing up against a building, and then I'll take care.
Speaker 4: Of it, of course, and then I and then I'll merge back in.
Speaker 3: I definitely walk through New York like like.
Speaker 4: The way that I drive.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I moved through like a small car.
Speaker 4: I moved through the like.
Speaker 3: A Corolla, an old Corolla though, because the new ones are too big. But yes, I'm definitely a hatch back, just kind of zipping.
Speaker 2: Through the corollas are way too fancy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's too much. This is supposed to be a sensible car.
Speaker 4: And now yeah the nerve.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when you were talking about just driving in that city, that's how I feel on the sidewalk when people are walking and like everyone has somewhere to go right in the way, because I'm just trying to find some of these buildings I've seen in movies looking up like oh and yeah. Everyone is so motivated and working so hard in a way that I can't relate to it. It's like being in traffic. It is when you're at the airport and someone just stopped their walking and they just stop because they have to look at their ticket and they don't do the side wall hug. I'm like, how are you? How have you made it this far?
Speaker 1: And entire families that's it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I just recently traveled and it was like an entire family standing in the center where it's I was like, you guys are making it seem like there's a different area to go to, like and I think I went like clear it or something as I walk by, because I was just like, no, this is the through way, you guys. Have to figure out your like German tourist, shit to the left of.
Speaker 3: Here, please, I absolutely walk out of walk up from subway steps, and if people have just stopped there, I will walk through them and go keep moving, keep moving, like the street sign. Keep moving because my office is uh my day job. My office is like right where a lot of people go to start shopping in the Soho area, so it is it is the stop, so it's a There are a lot of tourists, lots of families all decked out in Levi's five but one jeans looking for deals, and they're just right there on the corner. And I'm just like, keep it moving, keep it because they can't play. They don't know who's saying it. No one can get mad too many people, So I'm just like, keep moving, keep to the side on your left, Let all of it move out of the way.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: That reminds me. I was in because I really love New York City, like I would love, love love to live there, and I got to work there for like I think it ended up being like roughly a year, and I was in the beginning. I would do I would basically because I had a job in Chelsea, so and I got an apartment in health's kitchen, so I was like, okay. At first, I was too scared to take the subway because I didn't want to do it wrong, and I was positive I was going to get caught in the human turnstile. I was positive that was going to happen. So at first I was taking cabs everywhere and then but then I would go I would get one hundred bucks out of the ATM and then three days later have zero dollars and I'd be like shit, I dropped money again. And finally someone goes, no, you're taking cabs. Stop stop taking get on the subway. You're fine, You'll will be fine. And then then of course I felt like such an idiot. But one time my friend and I took a cab to Soho and we were getting like we were getting out, but the guy didn't pull over into like a parking space or there was no space, so he just double did a double park stop or tried to start to and then didn't realize that the van next to us wasn't parked, and so my friend opened her door and the van drove into it, like shoved the door into the doorframe, and then the van kept going yeah, and the cab driver started screaming and this lady on the street because we were kind of like what and my friend was already out of the cab, and this lady on the street saw the entire thing and looked at both of us and goes, go go, go, go, don't just don't don't stay here, and was sally like this died in the wool. New Yorker saw the two of our big eyes like are we suppose because the cab driver was like, you have to stay here, like as if we were going to pay for his door, and this lady's like, just go, just go run up the street. And it was one of it's like, that is why I love New York, that there's some real shit like that going on where people will help you when you are like caught in the cityness of that city.
Speaker 4: Yeah. That's oh my gosh, that's that's true. That reminds me.
Speaker 3: I once had to yell at it Cabby, who is driving my sister from the airport to my apartment, and he pretended, you know, she had the information I gave her. You were going to this address between this street and that street. I've given you main address cross street. He should be able to figure it out. If anything, he can put it in his phone. Now, that's that's what they're doing. Yeah, So she gave him that information. So he's driving and he's already most of the way there before he's like, do you want to take this or the that?
Speaker 4: And she's like, I don't know. He's already cho.
Speaker 3: Made that choice though, Yeah, but he's like, oh, she don't know where she going. So then he's just kind of driving around and then he's like, uh, I'm texting my friend because he maybe knows this area.
Speaker 4: He's just pulling a lot of shit so that he can run up that meter, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So yeah, so she calls me and she's just just.
Speaker 4: Frantic and I'm like, what do you see out your window?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 4: What are you seeing?
Speaker 3: And she is actually in the neighborhood and she gives me a couple of streets that they passed, and I'm like, great, okay, he is moving in the correct direction. Tell him when you see this to make a left or whatever, and then tell him to drop him off at whatever corner I told her, which was a block from my house. And I said, I will meet you there, and she said okay. So I go up and I see it. She gets out. He doesn't even he just opens the trunk or whatever. I get her bags out of the trunk, I close it, and then I give him what I think it should cost, and he's like, that's not what it says. And I said, well, no, you were trying to take her for a ride. Yeah, but this is how much it costs on average to get her where you were going to hear, and he's like, you gotta pay me more.
Speaker 4: And I was very calm, and then he just kept going and.
Speaker 3: Then I just screamed and I'm like, you don't know how to do your goddamn job. Man, You're not taking my fuck. It's this blah blah blah. This is all you fucking get now. My neighborhood, I don't know if they even noticed me. They're probably like, here's this woman who's just walking around randomly, but they all stopped. I felt them stop and turn around and watch this happen. And no one was trying to do anything. Everyone was just like, let's see how this plays out. And I screamed at him, and then I slammed the door and then I'm like, come on, let's go. And we walked to the apartment and he it's further down the block, so he follows us and then he rolls down his window and he starts to yell something at us, and my sister yells back, oh, now you know where you're going. I'm like, oh wow, okay, here we go, here we go.
Speaker 4: And so I was just like, all right, well here we are, you know.
Speaker 3: And then later that night we were in Williamsburg and a cabby drives A cab drives by, and I recognize it's the same driver, and I'm like, is he just haunting the streets now looking for us? So we just kind of duck.
Speaker 4: Later, were you high you thought he was after you had no idea? But I'm like, yo, yo, yo, that's.
Speaker 3: The same dude, right, She's like it is you just kind of like lower ourselves because what are the chances?
Speaker 4: And chances yeah for real?
Speaker 2: Oh you're my hero? For okay? Did everyone stop and watch how it played out as if they would intervene if or.
Speaker 3: Were they just I never I know, I'm just such a I feel like I'm such a quiet figure on these streets, Like you know, I'm not really saying hi to people.
Speaker 4: I'm just in and out of stores. You know, I do a thing.
Speaker 3: But I ran like a comedy show a couple of blocks from my house, like for three years, so I don't think anyone's really paying attention. But it turns out there are people in the neighborho are like oh yeah, yeah, yeah, you're the comedy girl. So I have no idea who's paying attention to me at all. So I just thought the streets were gonna continue to be the streets while I'm oh, here's someone yelling at a cabby, but they all like stop and they're like, oh, here's old girl yelling at a cabby.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let's see how this goes.
Speaker 1: Let's track this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sure, yea, yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't know how many people like slowly brought up phones, but it was yeah yeah, quietly. Yeah, So it just would have been yeah, I'm yelling at this cabby.
Speaker 4: But then to see him later that night.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's fucking scaryt shit.
Speaker 4: I was like, are you the only cab working this weekend? How is this possible? Yeah?
Speaker 2: The last Oh, now you know how to drive that that aid at him to wear? Oh for sure, keep it on some fingerless gloves.
Speaker 1: And shave his heads his apartment. Yeah, Travis pickled it.
Speaker 2: Up driving around looking every but the not in service light is on. Oh shit, every time.
Speaker 1: When I was in New York and I was just there for like a week or a weekend or something, every time I would get a cab to go, you know, pre uber nineties or whatever, I would get a cab to go back to the airport. If they took any way that wasn't because I'm from I'm you know, have lived in LA so long that I'm just like, get on the freeway. That's what you do. If you're going to take me on side streets. I'm scared or something's gonna happen, or you're trying to run up the meter. But you don't always take There's not it doesn't work like that there. It's like it's not La. It's not one to one thing. So like so many times because at certain times in the morning, the cab driver knows if you go around these side streets, you'll get their way faster, and it's the way better option. And I just sit in the back of that cab like I have to trust the New York cab system in this way where it's like I think he knows and I'm and even if, like, even if it's a scam, what the fuck am I supposed to do? Because now I don't know where we are at all. And the one of the most beautiful times, and I have should say every single time. We got there, and we got there fast, and we beat the traffic, and it's that thing where you kind of go over on the side and then I think you're I don't know the neighborhood. But one time it was really early in the morning and I remember looking up a street that we passed and a pack of no joke, thirty stray dogs. Well it turned and came running down the street. It was the most cinematic, amazing thing I've ever seen. I was like, where are we right now? Like wow, fuck is going on? And then boop were at JFK. Everything.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was gonna say, you must have been on your way to JFK.
Speaker 3: Is Now what I'm learning is I'm kind of deep in Brooklyn, So it takes about the same amount of time to get to LaGuardia as it does the JFK.
Speaker 4: But JFK there are more streets involved.
Speaker 3: Before they get at the very last minute, get on whatever part of the expressway.
Speaker 4: We'll take them to a terminal.
Speaker 3: But in the meantime, I'm like, should there be this many Windy's like on.
Speaker 4: The way to the.
Speaker 3: I feel like it should be, but I mean and we get there in no time flat. So after that, and you know, after yelling at that Cabby, I think I had only lived here like maybe five years by then. But then I'm like, Okay, next time you tell him, do this, take the the Jackie Robinson Parkway.
Speaker 4: And then blah blah blah blah blah.
Speaker 3: You know, if they're not going to do that, they take this, And she's just like writing this down, like okay, wait, what's But yeah, there have been times I'm definitely, especially from the airport, where I remember one guy who was just kind of driving in circles once he left, and I'm like, dude, I don't know where I'm going, but where are you going? Like none of this looks familiar? And he's like, you got excuse me, I really have to pee. Oh so he just couldn't think straight. I guess, yeah, and I.
Speaker 2: Was with a very confusing truth bump.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I went well, pull over and pee, and.
Speaker 4: So he did, and he's like, oh, thank you so much.
Speaker 3: I really feel And I'm like, okay, so now do you know where you're going? He's like no, not really, and I'm like, give me your fuck phone. Like I'm like, I can't believe I got to be your mom. You wasted all this time. I'm like, first off, turn off that meter. Yeah good, I'm not paying. I'm not paying for your pee adventures. And then blah blah blah, but wow, just insane.
Speaker 4: I am.
Speaker 2: You're my You're my hero. For speaking up. I would I can see myself in New York, know that someone. I'm like, oh, maybe it's normal to be in Pennsylvania for a second, Like I would never say anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, those beautiful horses.
Speaker 2: He's just showing his country house.
Speaker 3: You. I mean, you really just have to catch me at the right time, because I for sure will just be like I mean, they say the Tri state area and I'm not entirely sure which states they mean, so I guess Vermont could be one of them. I don't know anything, but you know, if if I've done it a few times and I'm like this doesn't feel right, you know, like I feel like you were supposed to do something a long time before, and I don't know where we are now, So then I and if I'm using one of the apps, I will follow along on the map.
Speaker 4: And I don't think they're expecting people to do that.
Speaker 3: Yes, I definitely surprised the driver by like, hey man, why are you going this way when you easily could? And they're like, oh, I thought you were just someone who didn't know the streets.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: I maybe don't know where I am, but I know what a fucking figure eight is, yes, right, yeah.
Speaker 1: And I don't like it. No, Actually I want I wanted to tell you that you are one of the few people I have not muted on Twitter. You are you were You don't know it, but you're one of my Twitter friends and we have a lot of real life mutual friends. But it's a it's a funny thing, like knowing that you were going to be on today where this I saw this yesterday and it made me laugh so hard, the video of the guy that could fold jeans super fast. Yes, And so you know how the way Twitter works now, like I have to watch people I follow talk to other people I don't follow, and don't know right, So oftentimes these things come into my feet. I'm like, what the fuck am I watching this? Jean's folding thing for it, I'm like, okay, Shelly was talking to something. Okay, then okay, then that's fine with me. And you did. You said the funniest thing that then also I want to talk about. But it was somebody saying, if you've ever known anybody that's worked retail, you've seen them do like this is the stuff that sticks with you or whatever, being able to fold clothes like that. And then your response was something and you talked about doing it a two year bid at the Gap.
Speaker 4: It made me.
Speaker 1: Laugh so hard, But I worked. I worked at the Gap for a year. Yeah, I did a stretch. I did a year stretch myself, and that is exactly how it felt. And I still can quick fold anything like when I shop at the Gap now as a lead person, I refold anything I look at.
Speaker 3: I have to anytime that I'm in a gap or an old Navy and I'm looking for my size and I pick up part of the thing to either put a shirt back or someone's like, oh you've done this before. No one tries to put it back in size order, Yeah, this thing, and you just kind of quickly fold the thing and then just put it and people are like, oh you, where are the immediately? Where can I find the I don't work here, but did you try over there?
Speaker 1: But it's stuck in my mind. I know what's probably it's like you pull the lip forward so it has the size sticker on the fold.
Speaker 4: You know, the whole weight has to.
Speaker 2: Be Yeah, you did two years at the gap. Then I treat it like a sentence.
Speaker 4: Yes I did, and I left.
Speaker 3: I quit because that particular gap decided to put a gap kids in the middle of the store instead of have a separate gap kids. They put in the middle of the store, and I don't work with children.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was like, no, if y'all get a gap kids, I'm leaving. And my managers truly thought I was kidding. And I helped them, like the night before they were going to open as a gap. I'm like, this is literally my last day, and they're like okay, And I helped them set it up and we hung a bunch of little shirts and everything, and I said, okay, this is it. And then two days later they're like, wait, you were serious, and I said, yeah, do what you gotta do, so you make it look like you knew that was my last day because I'm not coming back.
Speaker 4: I don't let kids.
Speaker 2: Wow where they putting in a ballpit or something.
Speaker 4: You just know.
Speaker 3: I just I already didn't like how the shoppers would come in with their kids and just leave their kids right, And I'm like, look, I'm paid to like take care of the clothing, but I will not take care of your kid. So there are many times where are kids like pulling on a mannequin and I'm just like, uh, watch out there now, and they can't do anything. And then they pulled a you know, they pulled a mannequin over and parent comes running out from the fitting room and I'm just like, yeah, that's a mess.
Speaker 2: Yeah they know. They're all kind of running around like, uh not yet lit sticks of dynamite. Yeah, never know.
Speaker 4: So now, and that's with just adult clothing.
Speaker 3: So now imagine there's children clothing and little knickknacks or stuffed animals or whatever, and then they're gonna go around and knock over all the perfume that's in there, gap earth and airror and water grass, all those all those fucking smells.
Speaker 4: I'm like, it's too much. Y'all are asking too much of me.
Speaker 2: And I feel like I'd be a bad influence because I'd go up Tanny Kidd and be like, do you want to hide in that rack of clothes from your mother?
Speaker 4: Like I used to have.
Speaker 2: Fun doing that. I would be I'd be a bad influence.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh my gosh. So yeah, that's definitely how I view it.
Speaker 3: It's just like I felt like it was one of those jobs that you kind of had to like do.
Speaker 4: Time a little time.
Speaker 1: Yes, I have friends to this day and that for the last thirty years. And we met working at the Gap in San Francisco, where I work, Like it's a very trauma bonding experience where you're just you, depending on the kind of boss you have and depending on the you know, the assistant manager and the way that it's such a strange hierarchical and you're supposed to be trying to get into management, where I was like, I don't even want to be in sales. I don't want to be here at all, Like, what are you guys doing? There's like kind of a competitive like everybody doing great. Meanwhile, I'm always like four minutes late walking in eating like a piece of licorice, and my boss is like, here's been on the floor at two o'clock, not walking.
Speaker 4: In to a four.
Speaker 1: Like yeah, a lot of that, that kind of stuff, But it was also it was like the worst and the best, yeah, because then it was just like funny, crazy shit would happen all the time exactly.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was a I was a stock supervisor, which just I was of the people who work stock. I just hung around the longest. So they're like, all right, you're in charge of the back room. I went, great, I don't want to be out there with you in the trenches with you guys. That's a shame.
Speaker 4: But then they were they they.
Speaker 3: Were trying to like, you know, you should think about like the road to management, and I'm like, every time those tiny blonde women come in here from various regions, y'all freak the fuck out, and I'm not, I can't do that, you know. But it's always I'm like, I see who the managers are, and they're never anyone who looks like me.
Speaker 4: They're all very petite.
Speaker 3: Blonde, very short, bobbed women, Like I can't do that. And then I was working at a record store at the same time, like an independent record store, and I'm like, look, this is just to subsidize the coolness factor, Like that's where my heart, you.
Speaker 4: Know what I mean? This is this is the pay bills, but my heart is with the vinyl.
Speaker 2: When was it after the gap you worked in in the sex shop?
Speaker 4: It was after the gap?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, like a couple of a couple of months, I think after I left and then I got the job.
Speaker 4: At the adult video store.
Speaker 1: Son was the pay better?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was, it was better, much more interesting stuff.
Speaker 3: I didn't but I will say weirdly because I remember a customer asking, like, there are a lot of women who worked at the store, And I remember a customer asking like, how do you feel about working here when you're seeing all of you know, all this stuff, and you know, doesn't it feel like degrading?
Speaker 4: And I'm like, well, first you're a customer here, like what are you doing?
Speaker 3: And I'm and then I was like, look, I used to pick up after people's fitting rooms, like at the gap, and that felt far worse, you know.
Speaker 4: I was like just side like size was just picking.
Speaker 3: Up tiny little clothes for people. My age was that I could never fit into that hurt me a lot more.
Speaker 4: At least, I know.
Speaker 3: There's a row of movies for dudes who want chubby black girls, Like I know, if you want that, they're that's there.
Speaker 4: I'm here, you know, right.
Speaker 2: Just knowing that exists is far less intimate than picking up someone's tiny shorts that they just put on.
Speaker 3: Just like, no, I don't want this, it's too big, And I'm like, oh boy.
Speaker 1: You know the rolling folding table that we would always park out in front of the fitting rooms, and then when people would come out of the fitting rooms, they would just dump their shit onto the table, no matter what you were doing on that table, and they would look at you. They wouldn't acknowledge you. I went through so many kind of like psychological kind of like who am I? What am I doing? Yes, you know, with like Enya playing in the background, because it was like the same mixtape that played for six hours a day, and just sitting there going is this what I want for myself? I need to do better than this? Yeah, I just can't.
Speaker 3: It was it was much or so by the time I got to the porn store, I was like, ugh, first off, I don't have to worry about what to wear, Like, whatever I have on is fine. It it doesn't need to be gap appropriate. You know, they're not giving me a T shirt that says, you know, gap swings.
Speaker 4: Or gap right.
Speaker 1: Yes, no forced chinos.
Speaker 3: No forced chinos, no forced chinos. And yeah, it was just uh weirdly an easier atmosphere to be in. And then I was so hell bent on showing that I was cool, and I'm like, what's cooler? I mean, I'm already in an indie record store. What's the next level? Yeah? And the level is a porn store. That's that's the only place, and that you know, you're a nineties woman.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's the only way to show to show that exactly, to show that you're cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a talking about talking to someone about their music tastes is pretty personal. It's like the next logical step is just ask about their junk.
Speaker 3: Right exactly, or showing that you're too cool, too cool to even hear about their junk. But I mean, I guess keep talking. You know what's yours? Your solo show is don't don't reach in the bag. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, my first rule. Yeah, it's it's the first rule. Of working in an adult video It was like video rental. Okay, so people were returning and it was it's just like the first thing you should know. It took people a while to realize, Oh, we should tell new hires this so they don't mess up just because things get slippery.
Speaker 4: Oh right, So it's just best to just dumb it all out, I.
Speaker 2: Thought, because of the you don't want to shame someone by pulling out oh yeah about bangers volume whatever.
Speaker 4: No, you know, Oh well that's.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just dump it out and just kind of move it around with a pencil or something.
Speaker 2: But that's not what I expected at all.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 2: It's a germ issue. Yes, that's so great.
Speaker 1: Are you still doing that show? It's a one woman show.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I am still doing it.
Speaker 3: I I am now just kind of doing it in little like just like here here here. It'll pop up in New York, but I'm going to do it in Austin as part of like the Moontower Festival.
Speaker 4: I'm doing it in Portland at the end of May. That's great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, And so you gradually keep adding on to it then over the last years.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a whole thing.
Speaker 3: I take a it's a there's a Q and A at the end of the show because I'm like, I know, I didn't I know in listening to the five stories that you've heard me tell, I'm not telling you there's.
Speaker 4: More that you want to know.
Speaker 3: So just because I can talk about it for hours, but we only have an hour and ten minutes here, So just what are your questions?
Speaker 4: So yeah, it's it's a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: Can you think of like the best question an audience member has asked you at the end, or like the most interesting?
Speaker 3: Okay, I did it in LA like last year, maybe last fall, just the very quickly, and someone in the audience asked me about what I thought the bridge was between spirituality and sexuality, and I was like, that is the most LA question. Yeah, are you serious right now? But it was an older woman, you know, short gray hair, you know, and she's just like, what do you think?
Speaker 4: And I'm like, well, first of all, thanks for coming.
Speaker 1: Your support means the board, thank you.
Speaker 4: Now what I spiritual?
Speaker 3: I never think about spirituality, I guess except when people say, oh God when they're getting ready to climax.
Speaker 4: I don't many people do think about that.
Speaker 3: I was like, I can tell you, I think that sex is a is more of a need or like a necessary thing than like a It shouldn't just be lumped in with love. It's you know, you got to clean out your pipes. And so I was literally I'm absolutely.
Speaker 4: Happy with helping people.
Speaker 3: Like once I was there, I could see, oh we are we are curtailing a lot of crime. I can see by being here, oh twenty four hours for people to get their their love and go, like, we are really helping the people out in a way that it's hard to like fully quantify, but I see how it's happening. Wow really yeah yeah, yeah, wow.
Speaker 1: Well that's a that's a connection that makes perfect sense because that's very true.
Speaker 2: I really want to see your show. And also yea many questions.
Speaker 4: Clean I know I am.
Speaker 3: I am trying to schedule to come back out there in LA like late summer. So I am total good to get to get it back out there and do a run because my producer is Dulce Sloan and so yeah yeah, and so she's yeah, she's helping. She'll be out in Atlanta or she'll be based in LA again soon and so we're just gonna put it up as much as we can.
Speaker 1: Great, great, yeah, perfect, Yeah, that's very cool.
Speaker 2: I was around for when I lived in Austin. Uh my girlfriend at the time was doing a documentary called Lady porn at Ut and we were interviewing a lot of women that worked in sex shops just to ask what about their yeah, all this stuff. Yeah, I've I've talked about this before and it was really interesting to me.
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, it's it was kind of a not like a wild time. But when I worked there was the late nineties into the aughts, so I watched, like I watched it move from VHS to DVD, you know, But then I also watched like the mindset of the world change from like Clinton to Bush, you know what I mean, Like I thought all these things happened, and I'm like wow, because I was there for like six seven years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you don't see a connection with spirituality, but politically.
Speaker 3: But politically yeah, I see, Yeah, I definitely see. You know, we had to pull some of the sex toys off the shelves because the people in charge in the city didn't care for him, But then once someone else was elected, we could put them back on to get you know what I mean, Like politically.
Speaker 4: We had to make a lot of.
Speaker 2: Moves because the Accommodator looks like a Lincoln beard.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a little bit.
Speaker 2: I'm just I'm just letting you know, I know about some of the Yeah. Yeah, I've been a proud owner of an accommodator. And you don't it's karen if you don't know. It's a penis you wear on your chin and it comes into three different colors. I know, a big black one, and I can't bring myself. It's still in the box. I've never once I brought it home and put it on. I'm like, I can't pull this off. And it has everything to do with abrinking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like a specific kind of hat where you're like, I don't have a hat face.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it's different.
Speaker 2: It's my sexual fedora. It seemed like a good idea at the time.
Speaker 3: I once in my car at that time, I kept a dildo. I think it was called demand Rammer, and it was just a very large dildo. But at the end it had like a like a sword kind of handle, like a hilt.
Speaker 4: Okay okay, and it was huge.
Speaker 3: It was, you know, just a handle and then just this thing and I would leave that in the passenger front seat.
Speaker 4: Just leave it in there to keep people.
Speaker 3: From like breaking in and stealing like my silver change or whatever. Which is I lived in areas where that normally would happen, and it definitely worked.
Speaker 4: And also I was.
Speaker 3: Like, if I it's you know, it wasn't like a firm. It was you know, kind of floppy silotone, kind of floppy. So I would like if anyone.
Speaker 4: Were to I could like, yeah, I was myself and like smack them if I need to.
Speaker 2: Probably heavy and you know heavy it was.
Speaker 3: It was pretty heavy and embarrassing, very embarrassing. And it also had it also came in three colors. Yeah, you gotta you gotta cover everyone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and my my dick gin when I say, but it was jet black in a bondage way. That's it looks scary. I look like a villain with it. That's the man. It looks very intimidating, Like there's.
Speaker 4: I think that's the way to go a color that is not a natural I.
Speaker 1: Did to recreate.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I think too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, absolutely, it seems easier to deal with that way.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I always think about the fact that this stuff like it would have been you're so right that it is like that super cool girl nineties move to be like I'm so chill that I can work here and handle things and like check me out, which I adore. But then these days it's like the mentality of almost the entire culture, at least the youth culture is like things are so open, chill everything, but it's like so accepting now. I would be fascinated to know the difference of like any kind of store like that compared to what it was like in the even in the two thousands or the twenty times.
Speaker 3: I think the big difference right now is now that everyone's open about this, and now that a lot of the you know, movies are whatever, the flicks, however you call them, are available online. Now it's more about the toys, which means it's probably it's kind of more geared towards women. So that is kind of where the cool factor is, is that I'm helping women finally reach orgasms that they've never been able to reach before. And I think that is probably where the turn is because the story that I worked at still is still up and running, but they've made a few pivots and so they have they now have a viewing boots where you actually go in to watch clips of movies, which were around when I worked there, but we were like, no, we're a classy joint.
Speaker 4: You just rent the movies and take them away and do what you want with them.
Speaker 3: But now yeah, now it's uh, you know, you can go in here, pay for however much time, go and watch a watch a movie or two pick a movie, and then the rest of the store is mostly like costumes and toys and aids and games and things of that nature. And that's kind of yes, bachelor, yes, bachelor at party, but also like even that has changed. It used to be like this stuff is, yeah, bachelorette party. We're just gonna put a bunch of penises on stuff.
Speaker 4: We're so silly.
Speaker 3: Now it's like this one has been medically found to. The toys are like, you know, they're all like these wild organic shapes where you're like half circles and curves and and I'm like, I don't know where to I'm I think maybe I'm just an up and down kind of person, so.
Speaker 4: I don't know if I'm mis curvy with it, So you know.
Speaker 3: That I feel like that must be how it's happening in order to still kind of seem to have that kind of cachet that it did before. Was I think that must be the That must be how it looks now, because when I was in the store actually over the holiday and was just like, okay, this is this is what we're doing now.
Speaker 4: Interesting.
Speaker 3: But you think of those stores that are they look like Apple stores, but it's all sex toys.
Speaker 2: Oh right, Yeah, I am surprised to hear they have the viewing booths. I thought that was a bygone era thing. And I do what must be worse than emptying a bag or putting is did you have to clean those little rooms?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 4: We don't.
Speaker 3: I have to know I didn't. We didn't have the rooms when I worked there. They recently got the rooms, but they You know, you can find someone who will do that. You pay them handsomely. Yeah, make sure that there are always gloves and yeah, I don't know, plastic for your you know what I mean, the gorgeous yes, yeah, face whatever.
Speaker 1: The FBI is coming in to go over the crimes, just.
Speaker 3: Straight up have the disposable has mats on tap and then you just if you pay them handsomely, someone will do that.
Speaker 2: Just yea, somewhere's your oiled tongs. I yeah, I racked up some credit. There's a comedy show here at the Pleasure Chess that I used to do, and I racked up credit. And that's when I felt like a square is I was. I had, you know, like almost one hundred dollars credit and all I all I could find was the accommodator. That was the only toy I'm like, And I felt like I went, wait, I'm taboo, come on right, yeah, I'm yeah, I'm an up and down guy. Yeah.
Speaker 3: The thing is that I feel like, because of youth culture, maybe I'm supposed to you know, you're trying to keep up with them, maybe, and you're like, oh, I guess I should be whackier with it.
Speaker 4: But it's such a personal thing.
Speaker 3: And I also kind of feel like I just want to say, like, maybe to the youth who were, uh, you know, putting big oversized honey nut cheerios and themselves are doing whatever, and I'm like, you may it may you may be doing too much.
Speaker 4: This may not be your thing, you know what I mean? Because it takes years.
Speaker 3: I know, I know, we're a lot more open to things, and so I feel like we're a lot more open to concepts. Yeah, but like, honestly, though, what does your body like?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 3: Can you truly answer that question? And that's that's gonna take some time. I'm like, if you know that, you don't know that, and then that can also shift. So I just hope that everyone, while being very adamant that they are open minded and stuff, are still able to carry that with them as they get older, because I'm now at a point where I'm just watching young people be very hardcore about stuff, and I've gotten past the point where I'm like, but what about me? You guys used to listen to me five years ago. Now I'm like, all right, you'll see I'm not gonna I'm not gonna.
Speaker 4: Press it, but you will.
Speaker 3: I will check back in with you in twelve years and see how you feel about suddenly being ignored, you know, and seeing how you'll adjust to that.
Speaker 2: And I have to can we elaborate on the cheerio that's just been hanging above?
Speaker 3: Everything's just so curvy, It's all so curvy, so round, And I'm like, I I this could be where maybe I'm not reading the write magazines.
Speaker 4: I don't know, maybe there.
Speaker 3: Are sites, maybe there are videos I'm not clicking on that will show me how if this is like a floaty or am I supposed to sit on it?
Speaker 4: I don't know what to do with that.
Speaker 1: Is actually just a thing that helps you love swimming.
Speaker 4: It turns out.
Speaker 1: That you can also it's just floating, right, you.
Speaker 3: Know, I don't want to make that mistake that I'm trying to now sex.
Speaker 2: We all know sex that's getting very aquatic.
Speaker 1: These days. I did a show at the Pleasure Chest one time, and I was standing, you know, like when it's so funny because they have like a curtained off area for the performing area, but then the comics are just waiting in the aisles of the store, right, and I just I'm just so Irish Catholic and like just raised in a culture that's so repressive and so like, not only does sex not exist, but if it comes up on like on TV or in a movie, people get mad about it. Like it's it's very inverse to what is happening these days. And I just was standing there waiting to waiting to go on, and I went to like lean against something and I looked and it was a package of penis pasta and I started laughing so hard, and then I was just like, it's like, I'm such a twelve year old when it comes to all this shit, Like I understand there's people that are like I want to explore it and I do this and it's to do that or whatever, and it's like, I think this is hilarious and I like want to buy this for all of my friends. That's the stage I'm at r with all of these things. We all get to do it the way we want.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 3: When I started, I told my sister I got the job there, and she was like, but you don't like watching people kiss on television Because when I was a kid and we watched like The Love Boat and people kiss, I would cover my eyes. And so even now when I'm watching a show and people start kissing, I'm like, oh, I shouldn't be seeing this, but this is like hown work, and I'm like, I don't know. So it's a weird thing where I still am uncomfortable at the emotion around kissing. But I absolutely can like sell these toys or do well. I'm just like, oh, yeah, no, that's that's absolutely what you would do with this little egg.
Speaker 4: You know, I just don't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you just don't want to watch?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I don't. I don't need to see it. But I am the mechanics.
Speaker 2: I can watch people kiss. If I hear a suld smack, I am out in the door.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, thank you.
Speaker 1: Well is there anything? This went by so fast?
Speaker 4: I can't believe.
Speaker 1: I just looked down and was like, are you fucking kidding me?
Speaker 4: That insane? Yeah? Sually.
Speaker 1: Was there anything you want to plug or like talk about before you go?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Well, uh, I don't know. I'm so bad at plugging things. Oh okay. I I co host a podcast we all do and everybody you know does, and it's called The War Report, and I do it with a comedian named Gastor Almonte who's very funny, and it's usually him coming up with really terrible business ideas and me reminding him that he is a husband and a father and legally he shouldn't be able to do any of that. But you know that's We do that like a couple of times a week, and it's a good time. So it's just us talking about the news and me yelling about something is usually how that shakes out. So you know, look it up The War Report. You'll find it. We've been doing it a couple of years.
Speaker 1: War Report. I always love when I see your posts on that because the picture you guys took, you're both wearing camo and you're scanning. It's like, it definitely looks like you guys are gonna invade the Middle East somehow. What is this podcast about?
Speaker 4: It?
Speaker 3: Because the artwork is based on an album called The War Report by two rappers named Capone and Noriega. Now, Gastor is a big hip hop person, and I dance around the edges of hip hop for sure. So he came to me with this idea and he's like, we got to do it, and we got to make the art look just like the album cover.
Speaker 4: And I'm like, I mean, okay.
Speaker 2: Is that nineties hip hop?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, it's ringing a bell yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: So it's so the cover, I guess is iconic. I had to go buy fatigues and then we took we took the picture and then uh, you know, our guy, he put together the artwork and it looked very much like the cover, the original album cover, so much so that when we posted the first episode on Spotify, someone said, hey, copyright infringe and it got pulled because it.
Speaker 4: Looked too much like the album cover.
Speaker 2: I've experienced that with a graphic or Yeah.
Speaker 3: So it was the graphic and they were like, well, I don't know what this is. We're going to pull the whole episode. So we had to repost it. We had to change the graphic for Spotify, so that artwork that I post on Twitter is just on Twitter.
Speaker 4: We can't use it on anything. Well.
Speaker 2: I was from what I know not to be a nerd, but I think you only have to change a ten percent. I don't know how that's dictated, but with with graphic design stuff, when i'm that.
Speaker 4: I believe that.
Speaker 3: I was just like, yo, just put our initials, man, don't it's too close. And then someone uh so Gastor then got on Twitter and was just like ah, the man trying to keep us down, and he I think managed to get the attention of one of the like Noriega, who saw the cover well like hah, that's funny. So I'm like, wow, my god. That was our first day of the podcast, and I was like, this is I don't know if this is a good sign or not, but next time let's do a little more of a homage instead of a straight rip give you the rights or.
Speaker 4: No, not really.
Speaker 3: He just said online like this is cool, this is funny. But by then I was just like, let's just post the picture on Twitter, where it's much more lawless.
Speaker 4: Especially the Yeah, but it really is.
Speaker 3: If you look at the cover of the of the War Report album and then our podcast artwork, it is very close.
Speaker 2: Oh, I can't wait to look at up. I haven't seen it. That's so cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, So, but that's that's what I got going on.
Speaker 3: And then all my social media is at silky jumbo all one word traditional spelling, and and I usually I usually will say whatever it is I'm doing on you know, your your Twitter, your your Instagram.
Speaker 4: Not so much on TikTok. I don't understand it. It's and I'm fine with that. I'm fine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, on TikTok, can I just tell you really quick if you're interested or you see tiktoks that you like, because here's how I got on TikTok. For three years, my sister would just send me tiktoks in a text and then I would open it and I would watch what she wanted me to watch. I would laugh really hard, and then it would go to the next video and it would be like a teenage girl crying and I'd be like, I don't want to see that. I would get really mad, and finally my sister was like, just make an account and then you can control all of this and when you when you do it, and you and tell me if you do, because then I'll send you videos and then you just teach the algorithm what to give you and you don't get any of that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've started to I've had accounts and so I'm still on them and I will uh and that one I'm at Silky Jumbo, but the last o is a zero because I'm also at normal Silki Jumbo, but I forgot that password.
Speaker 4: So I've got it's the cross reference.
Speaker 3: But I'm like, who even goes to the library anymore? And I am, and so I now, will you know for a day if I'm looking at it, They're like, you know what, today, We're going to give you cats And I'm like, I mean, all right.
Speaker 4: That's fine.
Speaker 3: And now they're like, you know what, today, We're going to give you black people complaining about white folks and I'm like, I mean, I ain't mad, and then today it'll be dancing and I'm like, all right, this is fine. But then when I go to post something of mine, they're like, nah, you've violated our community standards.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, well, yeah, yeah, they have a lot of rules that you can't say certain words.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Crazy. It's like it's crazy, but for me, and I'm just telling someone this. I'm like, in these very dark times that we live in now, when I get up in the morning and I have the immediate like dread for no reason or whatever, and I open up my TikTok and they're these dances. There's like a it's four bars of music. People make up a dance and then they do it like at the airport, and then people start joining them in the dance.
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 1: It makes me go like, oh, we're okay, it's going to be okay, it's fine. Like this is what we love to do. People love to do it with each other. It's like this kind of universal language that is so like nineteen seventy five and suddenly we're all going.
Speaker 4: Like and we're all just doing the hustle.
Speaker 1: And coming together in spite of it all there's some Yeah, there's some good shit like that on there. It's like it's good to tap into the youth and the people who are like, oh, we're going to like those I got into TikTok when all the people on TikTok organized and went and reserved the free tickets at that last Trump rally where they thought it was going to bed and then it was like eighty people went and it is one of the most genius things. I was like, this is like I need this kind of comfort because just Twitter, it's like you might as you're like, oh, we're all the world ending tomorrow, Yeah, but you get on there and you're like, it's not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is the ultimate. The ultimate flash mob is doing that.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's not showing up on mass Yeah that's great.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Leeba, it's so great.
Speaker 2: You were so great today, and it's so I know you so long ago, I think kind of the first couple of years of your career absolutely laughing school and yeah, it's been fun to watch your career.
Speaker 4: Chris.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thanks for having me on the show. Course, absolutely excited to do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, great to have you, Thanks for doing it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you've been listening to do you need a ride, d y n a are This has been an exactly right.
Speaker 1: Production produced by Analise Nelson, mixed by Edson Choy. Our talent booker is Patrick Cotner.
Speaker 2: Themes sung by Karen Kilgarrett.
Speaker 1: Artwork by Chris Fairbanks. Follow the show on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook at dinar podcast That's d y nar Podcast.
Speaker 2: For more information, go to exactly rightmedia dot com.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Oh You're welcome