Speaker 1: First of all, you don't know me.
Speaker 2: We all about that high school drama, Girl drama, girl, all about them.
Speaker 3: High school queens. We'll take you for a ride, and our comic girl sharing for the right teams.
Speaker 2: Drama, Queens, girl girl Fashion, but your tough girl, you could sit with us. Girl Drama, Queens Drama, Queens Drama, Queens Drama, Drama, Queens Drama, Queens. You guys.
Speaker 4: Oh man, the mysteries are being you know, figured out. Untangled is the right word. That's what I said. I fell asleep right after I watched the episode. It was so emotionally intense. I had to take a nap, and now I'm like up ready to chat.
Speaker 2: I loved this episode. Though loved I've really loved it. We got so much. They packed a lot into this episode, and it was pretty seamless. I have to say, yes, right.
Speaker 5: It wasn't rushed like sometimes when they give you one sentence and you go arah. They just had to. It felt like everyone had time, yeah to do things and breathe and say things, and yet so much happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm going to actually do a rundown on the list of what happened. Here we go. But we have our synopsis.
Speaker 5: Let's see if the synopsis is accurate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, exactly. Okay. Skills signs Jamie up for the soapbox Derby Race so fun. Haley has her first day as a teacher. It's harder than she thought. She also hires a nanny to get some much needed help at home as Nathan's still struggling. Brooke tries to convince Peyton to start her own record label while also deciding she wants to open a close over bro store in tree Hill. And it was directed by Paul Johansson. This is sort of some of the stuff that happened, but I actually have I have a list of how much we packed into this episode. It's quick. I'm just going to read it. Lindsey, Quinton, Lucas and Skills are basketball coaches, Brooke and Jamie Mouth in the real world. Intro Nanny Carey, Peyton and the label, Peyton and Lucas, drama, Nathan coping, Haley teaching, and then the three girls seen by the pool with all of us like reuniting for the first time. That's a lot of storyline and all of those actual storylines.
Speaker 4: And I love that everyone's doing miserably, like no one is lurishing, but we all look good, Like everyone looks really good and we are just failing upwards. Fan fantastic. This was the first episode my husband has ever seen anything of by the way, oh my gosh. Normally, you guys we watched the episodes together, and because of scheduling, we couldn't, so we all watched it separately today. And I'm sitting on my couch watching the episode, and halfway through, Jeffrey comes through and just sees all of us in trick and is like, I would like to know more about what's going on here, and just sits down and watches the last half of the episode and like was it was like, oh, it was sweet to have someone who's never seen anything stand up at the end of the episode and be like, I get it. That makes sense right on.
Speaker 5: Oh, Dad loves us.
Speaker 4: Dad loves us, and he acknowledged that we look like babies. It's like, you guys, who were you like twelve?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Really, okay, guys, Well, Dad loves Season five, Episode two, Racing like a Pro originally aired January eighth, two thousand and eight, And what an episode like, Paul did such a good job directing this episode.
Speaker 4: It all.
Speaker 5: I know we're going to talk about it for the next hour, but it really did all feel so real, so rooted, and I love that with our time jump. You said it, Hillary, everyone is having a hard time and it's being named. When Lucas meets you at trick, he tells you everything that's going wrong for everyone else. Yeah, he reminds you that you're not alone. It reminds the audience that if you're having a hard time in these major times of transition, you're not alone. And Paul as our director, managed to give such a packed episode that finally starts to give us answers on where everyone's been in these invisible four years.
Speaker 2: And with great performances. He is so good at drawing out good performances from everybody.
Speaker 5: And every single scene had room to breathe, you got to react to things before it cut to the next thing. I just I think he hit such a home run.
Speaker 2: With this one.
Speaker 4: Do you guys notice the lighting was different too, Like it's lit so much moodier, and like, especially the intimate scenes between just two people, it had that Peter Kowalski layer to it, where there's a little bit of nore to it where the shadows are as important as like what's lit up. And it just stood out because Peter originally was a camera operator on our show, and as we moved through a different DP, he moved up and had to match what the other guy did. But I feel like this, because we had a blank slate, Peter just got fancy pe.
Speaker 2: Yeah he did, No, I miss Pete.
Speaker 5: I love that he brought it down. Pete's sort of signature thing, which was also so nice for us, was he would light a room, as you said, with a mood, and then he'd put these sort of glowballs, these beautiful soft lantern lights around and everything just felt a little.
Speaker 2: Sparkly, Yeah, little magical, dreamy. Yeah.
Speaker 5: And these people coming home to each other is supposed to feel a little sparkly, and the light communicates that in a really really cool way.
Speaker 2: I remember the scene out by the pool when you guys came out. I think that was our first I don't I feel like I didn't even see you when we shot the first episode back.
Speaker 4: No, we don't see each other.
Speaker 2: We didn't. We weren't scenes together. That was the first time, remember, But I even even on on set, I feel like that was the first time I remember seeing you after we came back. And I don't know if we shot these kind of intertwined these two episodes or something, but it's the first thing I remember filming anyway from season four is that moment, Sophia, when you and I realized they had been they were using the same red coloring in our hair.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, they were trying to get mine out because I'd done a movie that summer and I'd been a redhead. I'd played this like, oh that's why you're so red, so red, and they couldn't. We just couldn't color corrected enough. And yeah, the oh my god, it's not working.
Speaker 2: It's very renee Russo it's good. Good look on you. Oh I loved it.
Speaker 5: God, I love her. Good God. The Thomas Crown affair will never get hold to me. But what struck me in the scene I do remember to your point, like getting in that day and being like, ah, are all bad? Oh my god? What struck me in the scene that i'd forgotten because I you know, I have that same sort of sense memory when we all got to be together for the first time.
Speaker 4: It's crazy, I physically remember that day as well, like it's like like it was yesterday.
Speaker 5: Yes, it's so in there. And what I forgot that made me audibly gasp when I watched this was, oh my god, Brooke has not seen her godson since he was a baby. Yeah, and it was so like, wait, what you know he doesn't know her? Oh my god. The little cues the writing gave us on how much we all had to catch up on that Brooke and Peyton have been apart for so long, but you see their phone calls and that, and that Brooke doesn't know Jamie outside of pictures.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like, oh my god.
Speaker 5: It's such a small moment, but it communicates so much.
Speaker 2: That's Paul too, by the way, because if you it's easy to in the script to just have shot like here comes Jamie, run around the corner. Everybody goes, oh my gosh, Jamie, pick him up, give him a hug, twirl them around. But the fact that he had him kind of step out slowly and you took a second looking at him on the stairs then got everyone's reaction. That's those kinds of things create those moments. And I love that Brooke and Jamie really developed such a special relationship over the course of this season, in spite of the fact that she wasn't around for the beginning. I mean, that's her whole journey, right, is like she built up this whole empire and then it's not enough and she needs to get back to what is really meaningful.
Speaker 4: I remember thinking that was crazy when we shot it, like what do you mean you've never seen this kid, or you haven't seen this kid in years? And now that we're grown ups with jobs and we're just like all over the place, you know, it's so normal just to be like, whoa, you have a mustache? Now. You know, kids grow up really really fast, especially in those first years.
Speaker 5: And especially when you are at this sort of you know, personal relative empire of success. It's what we experienced doing our show. You move Away, you're gone for ten months, and then if you do a movie, you're gone for the whole year, and you want to chase your dreams and you want to do things, but years go by, and I mean I experienced it with family, like literal years, and then I realized I just knew a kid from photos. Yeah, while we did a show, we did this for nine years. You know.
Speaker 2: Social media has made it worse because you know, we think we're in touch, we think we're like all up to date.
Speaker 5: We feel like we know.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Well I love how this episode opens because brook sneaking in Lucas's room is such an iconic thing from the high school years, and it feels nice to revisit an old habit that ends up being you know, a little spicy, a little.
Speaker 5: God.
Speaker 4: It's so hard to hate Mikayla, But what I'm gonna say is that watching the episode like being Peyton Sawyer deep down inside. You guys, I still feel jealous that all my friends like her so much and that I like her so much like I felt Peyton's feelings of like, God, she's so pretty and she's really cool, and like she really seems to have it together and everybody likes her so much.
Speaker 2: Yes, she's so great.
Speaker 5: Because she is undeniable.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, she's a real deal for sure. But you guys were cute.
Speaker 5: It was so fun.
Speaker 4: I like that everyone is just kind of meeting her organically, because that's what happens in a small town, as much as Peyton wants to avoid it. Ah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, and I remember that day with Mikaylax that was the first day I met her, and I remember sitting in the cash chairs in the living room of Karen's house and getting to chat and learning about what she was up to, and she had all these questions for me about, you know, Wilmington and the whole thing, and it was so much fun. And I remember thinking like, Wow, it can be so nerve wracking to get new people, you know, inserted into your work family and you seem really fun.
Speaker 2: She's so solid, so well spoken, intelligent and asks really good questions and insightful, totally totally born to be an artist. She actually she is an incredible fine artist as well. For anyone who doesn't know much about Mikayla McManus, she'd go find out. She's really really talented girl.
Speaker 4: Let's make sure we have her on in the next couple episodes. Yeah, yeah, yeah, Mikayla and we went to college together.
Speaker 5: Wait we know each other?
Speaker 4: No, yes, we went to college together. Super in passing, like because I was also working at MTV, so it was a little checked out of everything. But we're Fordham Lincoln Center girls.
Speaker 2: Oh that's right.
Speaker 4: It's like it's weird when it feels like the whole world is a small town. You know, we do a TV show about a small town, but honestly, to come from New York and then be down in Wilmington and have it be like you remember this chick from the dorm and it's like, oh, she's really pretty a canissler. She was great wow, and she matches Lucas's kind of like serious energy in a way that Peyton never did. Peyton's goofy man, She's like awkward.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I felt that pang when I was when Peyton was watching Lucas and Lindsay at the Grace Car thing when they arrived and he was holding her hand and they were just walking through the crowd, I was like, oh, I've totally been in Peyton's shoes where you look at the couple and you're like, You're like, I don't want her to be right for him, but I think she is es sucks.
Speaker 4: I love shooting that flashback stuff because I got to wear those dumb little bangs. I love those No listen. I got a call like from my mother when the episode aired and she was like, don't chew ever cut bangs. Don't you do it? It looked terrible and so I'm still traumatized. By the Peyton book signing bangs, which is I've never had the confidence to go do it.
Speaker 2: I hope he saved them. At least you could clip him in now.
Speaker 4: And then Sophia, don't you have fake bangs?
Speaker 5: I was gonna say, as a person who made that mistake and cut real banks not once but twice, I then learned to not make the same mistake a third time. And it might have been Jojo was like, I'm just gonna get you a clip in said please stop this. I was like, okay. She was like, when you really want them, you just wear them for a night, and she's not wrong.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's true.
Speaker 5: You know what I will say to the contrast, like, something I love so much is that the episode opens, that's sweetness and that being so enamored for Lindsay with someone she knows but not personally, and for Brooke with someone she doesn't know at all but who seems great and they're sort of like, wow, Wow, you're fun, No, you're fun. It's this fun energy. And to go from this sort of excitement to the nerves which are exciting of Haley's first day of like, oh what was it going to be like? And and it almost feels like the fun stuff on the front end was a misdirect, Yes, and we expected the fun to keep going, especially for Haley James Scott, especially right.
Speaker 4: I was just like they teed us up for success and then it like hurt really bad.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, it was such a betrayal.
Speaker 2: That was awful.
Speaker 5: I was upset. Yeah, how was that for you to watch?
Speaker 2: Sad? It was funny? I forgot, I really, I mean that is like one oh one. You cannot let the class take over and bully like bully you and get you pushed down to the point where you're you cry, you leave. I mean, I think just as a teacher, you.
Speaker 4: Know you.
Speaker 2: Lose so much power in the classroom if you ever let that happen to you. So the fact that it happened on day one, sojers are so scary.
Speaker 5: They are.
Speaker 2: But I don't know that I would have acted very much different. I mean, I don't know what I would have done at twenty What was Haley like twenty three teaching a high school class? Come on, maybe younger?
Speaker 4: That's so weird. Yeah, I had a really young teacher who had to be really mean, like the first year, and then lighten up as we you know, got older, just to like prove point, because you know they're our age, you know, And I I was I think we brought this up a few episodes ago. I was recently with my best friend and we were listening to my son and his friends talk about one teacher in particular, and my friend turned to me and he's, like, kids bully adults just as much as they bully each other. And I can't imagine like going home at the end of the day after being a teacher and being like, those little shits really got to me, Like is my outfit flame? Is my hair? Is my reading voice laying? You know, like whatever it is that the kids zero in on, they can make you feel just as awful as your peers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well yeah, I liked that Haley had this duel. I had this dual approach that she went in on the first day trying to be very amiable and giving them all the benefit of the doubt and like I'm going to be really sweet and like the sort of jumping around the blackboard and like it was all And I don't even know that this was intentionally a choice that I made so much as just I guess what was feeling in the moment, like, oh, let's make this fun for everyone, Like almost the instinct would be like you'd behave that way with maybe an elementary school class.
Speaker 4: Huh.
Speaker 5: I felt that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it felt very condescending, but not intentionally.
Speaker 4: You have a little child, and so in your brain you're like, I talk to children like.
Speaker 2: Children exactly exactly. So then to get the root awakening, and I love the way she comes back later and just okay, tough mom. Now it's tough love time.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I thought that was really fun.
Speaker 4: Are they setting you and Quintin up for something inappropriate? I can't remember.
Speaker 2: No, but god, we had good chemistry and we Yeah, Sobby is so great.
Speaker 6: He's great.
Speaker 5: But but I love that because we again it's it's just it's tracking so well. We've seen Haley as a mom now to a four year old, and you do the smile and you even enjoy I mean you use like your big, pretty cursive like you were having a whole moment. Yeah, and and the the shock of like, oh, these feudal little fuckers are trying to create a hierarchy. I gotta completely change my game. Yeah, Like, as an audience, member. We see you go from Jamie's mom to like that don't fuck with me teacher, and it's so fun.
Speaker 4: Well that those kids have no idea that you tamed Nathan Scott who was the bad of the bad, Like Nathan Scott was awful, stealing school buses like your nightmare, and you tamed him at you know, sixteen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's done, especially after that deal with him in the kitchen. It was like she went back to school the next day like I'm done. I'm done trying to make everybody happy and trying to please everybody and trying to hold everything together and pretend like everything's fine.
Speaker 4: I'm done.
Speaker 2: Here's what we're gonna do. It's this way or you're out. I just don't have time, I don't have the energy. Yeah, but everybody needs a turn like that in life. I've hit those moments. I know you guys have, and I hit them. You know, it's not just once. It happens in life as you Oh yeah, go on and on. So yeah, if that felt necessary and rewarding for her, oh yeah.
Speaker 5: And it feels nice when you do it and you go I'm different. Now you're learning in this moment, you're picking up what I'm putting down, but I've put it down already and I dare you, and everyone.
Speaker 1: Is like, oh, they feel the dynamic shift, and that is it's so fun.
Speaker 5: And I like that you didn't have to make the connection that Quentin is a version of Nathan. I like that they that they placed the a version of the man that Haley tamed, they place a new one in front of her. It causes a struggle and as she's figuring out how to deal with it in this way, in this version, it's actually Lucas and Skills that are like, who does he remind you of? And they don't even have to say it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Lucas, Yeah, it's really good.
Speaker 4: Well there's yeah, you'll do it once. Y'all gotta do its.
Speaker 2: Skills and Lucas as coaches stepping in for Whitey genius move and so fun, so fun to see, and they're good at it too.
Speaker 4: I want to know what happened at Tree Hill High School in the four years that we've been gone, that the kids have gone dark, they've gone feral. It's like we still have the same principle, you know, like nothing necessarily traumatic happened on a national scale but now you've got a rebellious basketball team and you've got these nasty kids in the classroom causing trouble.
Speaker 2: What happened is it felt much more modern. It felt much less like the One Tree Hill fairy tale that we had created that were still connected to the late nineties, even though we've started filming in the early odds that this crowd felt much more forward, forward moving in the progression of like social society, I guess, and just the way that they were all interacting with each other in the banter and it just was like, whoa, this is a live This is so different than fairy taling.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it felt messier and more authentic. Yeah, do you guys feel like it was partially one of those things that like all the criticisms we got of everything being too fantastical, to fairy tale, too squeaky clean, blah blah blah, that they were like, all right, watch this, Like now that we've had a time jump, we can we can kind of address the message boards and the articles.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 4: Well, I think when we were the mad kids in the class, like there was an episode where like Nathan and Lucas got in a fight in the classroom, or like there was a time where Lucas got in trouble because he and Peyton were passing notes and kissing and stuff like you were sleeping with a teacher, Brooke. I mean, we got right in trouble. We got in trouble. But when you're the adult and the kids look at you like you loser, it just feels different. Like they're not doing anything that we didn't do. It's just different main character energy. These kids are assuming the main character energy and treating us like we don't matter.
Speaker 5: But what's also so interesting about that? And like you just ding a light bulb in my head? This is human right. When you know someone, you can see the motivations for their actions. You can forgive their transgressions. You can say you have a really screwed up home life and that's why you look for validation. And older men, young lady, you have a fill in the blank. Fill in the blank. When you don't know anything about someone's life or background and they behave in a way that feels disrespectful or unruly, you go, who are these little shit heads think they are? You don't forgive or humanize their messiness. You just think, wow, that was really bold. And out of line, and that is kind of fascinating.
Speaker 4: I can't wait to find out what Quentin's damage is because he is so handsome and so TALENTEDO. It makes it really easy to hate him because he's got so much going for him and he's still being like, you know, confrontational.
Speaker 2: But you're rooting for him because you know there's so much room to change, there's so much room for growth, and he's just posturing. He's just a high school kid who's posturing.
Speaker 4: Oh that laugh he does when he's leaving the gym. Yeah, when he's like leaving your classroom and he's just laughing. It's just it's like you can feel his hurt. Yeah, Like you can feel that he's a kid totally masking.
Speaker 2: That's one of the things too, that I think I loved about the way this was put together and the way Paul directed my performance in that that he was it's not a power struggle. You're not trying to dominate the room. You're just you're fed up in every area of your life, and you're just coming in and being honest. And there's no sense in not just being honest. So just tell these kids exactly how you feel. And you don't have to be mean to be honest. You can just be honest. And so I remember doing that and it changed everything for me because instead of me trying to be tough and dominate, I just was able to, like I felt a lot more compassion, and that I think made me connect more with Quenton and hopefully like started to draw them together a little bit more, Hele and Quentin, because when you stop trying to dominate and you're just real, just totally authentic, like you said, Sophia, and in the moment and there, it's so much easier to I guess read other people have compassion or just see things from their perspective.
Speaker 4: When he has no idea what you're dealing with at home. And this is something that I really struggled with in the episode because when we shot this, like when we were kids, four months of Nathan being dark seemed like, oh my god, it's crazy. And as a grown up lady watching this, I'm like, he's only been down for four months, Like why is Haley flipping the fuck out? Like it made Haley seem crazy that she was so angry with him four months out, when meanwhile, the audience is getting to see him in private, try to stand up, and so it's just like, oh god, this is going so bad.
Speaker 2: Like just missing each other.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they need a therapist so bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but man, four months can feel like a really long time when you're juggling everything and doing everything.
Speaker 5: And four months with a four year.
Speaker 2: Old, that's what I mean. Yeah, it's just so Now.
Speaker 5: When you think about four months being thirty percent of a year, and this kid's probably had memory for two years.
Speaker 4: They remember everything.
Speaker 7: Two years, Like, it's amazing.
Speaker 5: It's three years, let's call it. But it's amazing because you get everyone's perspective. Yeah, that's when it works, is when everybody is understandable and everybody is frustrating. Yeah, and you just go, ah, I just want better for these people because I love them, Nathan.
Speaker 2: I love that you just brought him up because he this this is a real mental health struggle for him, and I love that they really did a deep dive on it in this episode and in this season. That's got to be so incredibly tough to have made a huge success out of your life that young and be have so much ahead of you and then get get disabled in some way.
Speaker 4: Well, I guess that's it felt like character assassination to me. Joy, it felt like they were making you this like shrill bitch, because we've already seen Nathan and try to kill himself multiple times. We know that he has a history of self loathing and suicidal behavior and never had to deal with anything quite this traumatic. You know, he crashed the car into the wall and was playing basketball like three weeks later this he's in a wheelchair, and it's so so serious, and so to have Haley, who has historically been really supportive and like, you know what, I'm gonna take a different approach. I'm going to try something different. To just have her throwing, you know, throwing the beer bottles and smashing plates and stuff. I was like, why are they making her.
Speaker 2: So Yeah, shrill is a good word.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just to feel aligned with the person that we've always known.
Speaker 5: I liked it, you did. I liked oh. I liked every bit of it. And here's what I'm gonna say, I I hear you on all of Nathan's mental health stuff, and You're not wrong. We've spent four years worth of this TV show talking about it, and I do think there is a tendency to align your idea of someone with the way they're described. And Nathan Scott is our hero and our sweetheart. He is a bad boy done good because of this woman he like, he is such a champion, and yes, he's had these horrible things, and we as adults in the last year have gone, oh my god, this is a boy with like serious mental health fatures. But they've never been willing to really address it on camera until this and throughout all of it. Haley's been with him throughout all of it. She's reminded him, yes, if this were the real world, he would have gone to therapy. And if this were the real world, four months into a catastrophic accident, as adults, I think we would be different. But it's TV drama and I love that from the way she behaves, you can see that whenever she's mad, she takes a deep breath and keeps going. And whenever he fucks up with their son, she takes a deep breath and just says, sweetie, daddy doesn't feel good. I'm so sorry, and we jump in. All your friends are coming, We're coming. It's gonna be amazing. It's been a lot of jumping in to cover for him and I like that when no one is just telling the truth, eventually everybody loses it.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I like it for her because she's always been good, and I like it because she's always cleaned up everybody's messes. And when you yelled and then walked in the kitchen and the argument was over and then you threw all the bottles, I was like, God, I'm not waiting for this from her. I loved it.
Speaker 4: I was thinking as I was like, I was like, who bought the bear? There was no uberat who bought the goddamn bear?
Speaker 5: Because yes, I didn't even think about that part.
Speaker 2: Maybe even Haley was doing it. That beer bottle thing was totally improvised. Paul said, what do you I just was so uncomfortable. I was like, he said, what do you want to do? I was like, I mean, I want to throw these beer bottles across the room, but obviously I can't. He's like, why not because they're props. He goes, WHOA, we'll get in one take, do it. And we didn't tell James, so his reaction on the couch was real. He had no idea what was going on behind him.
Speaker 5: That was amazing.
Speaker 2: But you know what you said just made me think the one thing that flipped the switch. I think Hillary, because I totally I do hear what you're saying. Nathan historically has even through all of his struggles. I correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think he's ever been someone who was a complainer or like was felt really sorry for himself. He never really did the pity party thing.
Speaker 5: Am I wrong?
Speaker 4: I guess to me, it was like four months. Haley was on tour for four months. You know, like a four month periodod of time doesn't feel so fatalistic, I guess.
Speaker 2: But when you're with living, living with somebody who just is refusing to like they just keep feeling sorry for themselves over and for so long, and there's like you have a grace period. We're like, oh my gosh, you've just been in a horrible accent. Of course, anybody would feel sorry for themselves. Yes, yes, And then it's like, okay, we are we kind of coming out of that. And then the next phase is like okay, but like life has to go on. I actually have to do you care? Can you at least empathize? Could you like be emotional and like talk with me about it at least we can. So it feels like maybe they just sped that progression up because that's the flip that got switched.
Speaker 5: I also think the four months, Yeah, not the best writing we've ever had, Yeah, in an episode that is filled with very good writing. But what I think is important to remember, and I wish they would have repeated it with you, Joy and not just with you and your scene as Peyton taking Nathan to the hospital Hill. I wish they would have repeated the thing from episode one, which is, but your doctors said you can walk. Remember that fight you guys have.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Yeah, that's what we're missing because the whole reason she's so upset it's not my husband's never gonna walk again, and I understand that maybe forever he'll be sad.
Speaker 5: It's they're telling you you can and you're refusing because you can't. You think you can't play basketball. Yeah, So because you can't play basketball, you don't want to play with our son.
Speaker 6: You don't want to crawl around on the floor with your kid.
Speaker 5: That gives it everything, And that's a miss. That's a miss in the episode because if we had been reminded that he was choosing this in some.
Speaker 4: Way, y'all, I'm just thinking about postpartum depression. I'm like, four months. Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 2: No, they could have made it a year or two. They could have made it like it had been in a while for sure. Yeah, I think you're right. Happy meeting.
Speaker 4: I loved seeing him secretly try, like because a number of times he's like by himself trying to stand up, and then that last time where you think he's finally just gonna commit suicide and he jumps up out of the water like free Willie. Yes, Jeff was like, what kind of show is this?
Speaker 5: It's the best baby. It reminded me of the season four shot when you know the episode where we all took our class pictures with the partners. Oh yeah, and I did the not enough, not enough, not enough and Nathan was in front of the wings holding the basketballs. It gave me that same like it mirrored that in some way totally, And it's like, Nathan Scott is back.
Speaker 2: He's always going to be a hero. That's who he is. Deep down. He's got that really cool. I'm gonna jump in the car and go take Maria to tennis, but I'm gonna try and jump back into the zoom from my car, so at least I can pop in my every once in a while. But I'll be back in a minute.
Speaker 4: By the way, I love I love this. She's doing tennis.
Speaker 5: I have to say something speaking of scenes by that pool, because we talked about this last week or maybe it was the week before, but I went, oh, that you and I got assigned the well well right as shared dialogue. And then what was the next thing? I said, Oh, Nathan, you look so harrow in chic.
Speaker 4: He say it, Oh, there are only so many lines that our boss had in his repertoire. And like, if he knew you were mad at him or didn't want to engage, he would make you say these things to kind of like remind you of him. And yeah, I felt his dirty, little, grubby, no fingernail hands all over this one.
Speaker 5: It was always a this. It was always a like, I'm going to put you in your place. I'm gonna remind you. If it's on the page, you have to say it. And it was like and I just was like, right, right, right, Brooke and Peyton are having this beautiful moment where they've come home to each other and now we're gonna go out into our world and start seeing all of our friends again. Yeah, and you're gonna make us do it with the creepiest things that you say to us. Ill. Gross gross, Ill.
Speaker 4: Dude, where are Peyton and Brooks staying right now? I can't figure it out.
Speaker 8: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I mean, I love that you spent the night at Mouth's house. That was my favorite, because that's what we do in real life. I like it. I went out with my girlfriends this past week and woke up and was like, who put me to bed?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the best.
Speaker 5: It's so fun as an adult to be like, I'm going to sleep here. And now. The cool thing is is at our age, everyone's like hold on and they open a drawer and there's just a bunch of new toothbrushes and you're like, ma'am, really, we're really doing it right.
Speaker 4: We're prepared for debauchery now.
Speaker 5: I loved that wake up so much and like, oh, oh my god, I have to go and I've got to get Jamie and running around collecting the things, talking to him and then having this moment of oh, you're here. It was such a fun scene. That's one that's one that I remember, Like in my bones.
Speaker 4: You're so good with him, like it was your babysitting skills were on full display here, because I mean, you just take to it so naturally, and he's so drawn to you. And you guys were doing in real life what you're doing on the show. You know, like, we didn't know this kid, and you're making a relationship with him the same way Brooke is making a relationship with Jake.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, he became my little best friend. It was so fun. We had so much fun at work together. And I remember everything from you know, his little suit and helping him zip it up and talking about how I would have made it for him. And he loved the story, and you know, swinging him in and out of his Derby car and like we God, we just had so much fun. It's such a sweet moment in time.
Speaker 4: Jeff saw the Peyton Sawyer unemployed patch and one so bad. He's like, where do they Where do they sell those? And I was like, I don't know they do. He's like, no, I want that, I need that.
Speaker 8: We should make one.
Speaker 4: Here's what I remember from this episode. I didn't realize it happened this early in the season, but this this Derby car episode is the one where my childhood friend Scott Krapatrick died in Iraq, And you can see it on my face when Peyton and Brooke have to walk from the river where you've thrown your phone and I got to just hide in you and we're you know, we walk back up, we see Lucas and Lindsay. We have to walk past them and you're having band with Jamie from like the Crowd, and you can see like my face is all red, like I'm clearly super upset. But that was such a surreal day because everyone was there. We were down by the river. We had a ton of work to do that day, and I'll just never ever forget it. It was like I got the message in my trailer. I went straight to JoJo's door in the hair and makeup trailer and you were there, and it was just like, I don't know, I got to hide in you and you didn't leave me alone on set, like we hit out at our chairs. Antwine's son was there during the whole box car race, and it just felt really safe after we'd already dealt with all this chaos at work, Like I see it in the episode, I see Peyton and Brooke, but I see you and me behind it, being like we're dealing with some really, really horrible dark shit and we're just gonna team up. I don't let anyone else get in the way. And it's weird to watch it all these years later because I can feel it. I remember what, I literally remember every single step of that day. But yeah, to see it just like kind of mixed into an episode, sprinkled in thanks for taking care of me. We've told that story at conventions and stuff before, but I will never I will never forget that that was. That was like my first really big grown up loss, and then to have to go film it's like cool story, kids, Sorry, your friend's dead. Anyway, we got to break for lunch in thirty minutes, we got to get this shot. Let's roll, And yeah, I guess I don't. I don't know how other businesses are because we've only ever worked in this one. But it can feel really, you can feel really cut off from the real world and your real life because you have to do this imaginary thing.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I also think there's a little bit of a disturb that happens because, like all that's ever on TV are these perfectly edited episodes, right, and all that's ever on TV for our industry, that's like quote unquote behind the scenes are award shows which are insane and not real. And so everything that people who don't work in our industry get to see is gorgeous, musical, lyrical and glamorous, furiated. Yeah, And like we work in the circus in the mud Man, it's so tricky and it's beautiful and it's strange and it's profane and it's hard. It's really hard. And if you ever express honesty about why it's hard, people go because like they've only ever seen the golden.
Speaker 1: Globes, right, And and I I don't know, I just want to I really want to be a little clear and like take pause.
Speaker 5: To be honest about how hard it is to have your world blow up and have someone look at you and mean it when they say, I'm really sorry, but we.
Speaker 6: Don't have time for this, right, right.
Speaker 5: And then you are expected to split into and wait for your real life so you can go do the on camera life. And it's what we do, and it's hard.
Speaker 4: It makes you a psycho. Like when you have to compartmentalize your life like that, it makes you a total nutcase, because then you can't stop doing that, like everything becomes over here and then over there.
Speaker 5: Well, you become a professional at disassociating.
Speaker 4: Oh is that what I'm doing on my phone? Just like scrolling doom scrolling disassociating.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And so when people say, well, for example from last week, why didn't you talk about this sooner? Because I'm a fucking professional at putting my feelings in a box over there so I can come to work and not bother other people.
Speaker 6: That's it.
Speaker 4: I'll deal with it in twenty years.
Speaker 5: Yeah, when the box explodes in my face, then I'll have to deal with it. But what I will say, morbid humor aside, is.
Speaker 8: That was big.
Speaker 5: And I felt really lucky about the ways that you shared Scott with me and with us, and that you have continued to do that, and that you've helped make his memory advocacy that people get to participate in, and that affected the trajectory of our show. Like You've done a lot of really big things with how much you loved that friend. And I feel really lucky key to have been close to it and to you for all of that. And I also want to remind you that just like six months before you did it for me, because in season four, when my grandpa died and we were filming, you picked me up off the ground in the quad because somebody said to me, I'm so sorry, but we don't have time for this, and there aren't many people who know how that feels. And I I feel, really maybe this is like a weird thing to say. I feel really lucky that you did that for me once and I got to do it back. This is all iss all.
Speaker 4: It feels so met like, it feels really nice.
Speaker 5: You know, it's really weird, isn't it.
Speaker 4: I You know, you and I were separated a lot in the first few years, and then you know, our characters are fighting, and then as we are scripted together, we're having to deal with like grown up stuff and really like confusing subject matter. And when we were coming home in this season, you and I were also starting to like go home in real life and have to answer for who we'd become, you know, having to answer to the people, you know, having to go to Scott's funeral, you having to go home and see your friends or see your family at your grandfather's service, you know, and answer for what we had been living publicly. It isn't necessarily what my friends or family thought was appropriate for me. You know, I wasn't even allowed to watch teen dramas growing up, and here I am neck deep in that shit.
Speaker 5: That's so interesting that idea of it being appropriate. What was hard for me was that people were like, isn't it fabulous? And I was like, it's really f fucked.
Speaker 2: Up and hard.
Speaker 4: It's hard.
Speaker 5: And then I learned, Oh, nobody wants to hear a person who they look at as the on screen success story say they're struggling. Oh I better keep this to myself.
Speaker 4: Well, what I'll say is that I'm really glad Paul was directing, because to hear that message Joy, Joy's back. We've got joy back. She's in the car, right.
Speaker 2: I can try not to talk too much's annoying through the car microphone, but I'm here.
Speaker 4: No, it's okay. It just there's a little bit of lag. But you guys, we do have joy back. Joy. We were talking about how back?
Speaker 6: How wait?
Speaker 4: What? Oh wait?
Speaker 1: That's echo at a lagger and oh I'm gonna fix it.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna fix it. Can you hear me out?
Speaker 4: Yeah, we can hear you bet but then we share ourselves.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna mute it, go ahead and talk.
Speaker 4: That's okay.
Speaker 5: We try sometimes with the car.
Speaker 2: The car always gets us joy.
Speaker 4: You just wave your hand when you want to talk.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm here, I'm here.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 4: Now we were talking about, you know, my good friend Scott died in Iraq while we were filming this episode. And while it sucks that when you work in film there's no going home for the day, it's just like, all right, suck it up. We still have eight hours. You know, there's five hundred people here to make this day happen. I was really glad that Paul was directing because I had to shoot that scene with Lucas in Trick like the day after Scott died. And so Scott was the person that I did theater with growing up. He was absolutely my partner and all of that. And while he'd been in Iraq, we traded all of these messages about starting a production company when he got out, because he was planning to get out and we were going to do an adaptation of Dostoyevski's The Idiot, which is the play we did together in high school, and update it and like so many big plans like Peyton and Brooke with this record label. You know, we're going to start a business. And I could not get through that scene where Peyton says your art matters. It's what got me here, because it was like I was talking to my friend and it was killing me, and I'm just like and they're like, you're not supposed to cry in this scene, Hillary, and I'm like, right, right, right, right right. But for all the times that you guys wanted me to cry and I was really having trouble, it's the opposite this time. And all I want to do is sob and Paul was so good about being like, I want you to say these lines like it is the happiest thing that you can say to Lucas, and he really coached me to say it with a smile. And I think you can still feel Peyton wanting to cry and putting on this brave face. But I was absolutely talking to my friend in that scene, and I don't know anyone who could have gotten me through it other than Paul. He was so he was such a chepherd in that moment. Of course.
Speaker 2: So that was my favorite scene in the episode actually, because you were so dropped into your body, your voice sounded different, and I understand the context.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 6: There was just.
Speaker 2: Something so so grounded and real about that, And I hate that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I hate that.
Speaker 2: It's like those things, this weird thing about our art where pain sometimes equal you don't want it, and also it can make such a huge difference in the lives of the people who are experiencing that, And it's just one of.
Speaker 6: The weird things that we do as artists.
Speaker 2: Live in whatever state we're in and then go to work just somehow try and put it all together.
Speaker 6: And whatever happened that day really was magical. And I felt.
Speaker 2: Really moved by that scene. Yeah, I mean, I guess I don't have like a conclusion, but it was a beautiful performance.
Speaker 4: M Thanks. It made me feel bad like Chad was the third wheel in the room, like, hey, we're sorting through some real heavy stuff. Chad, I just need you to stand there and look handsome if you could, that would be great. But he he also is great because I think he knew that I was moving through some dark territory and knew just to just to stand there and be steady and like good and that was that was the right move, you know, because I think then we had to do all the trick stuff that night too. When we would go into trick, we like lived in Trick. Yeah, it was fun to see all the girls out party and Haley not being a mom for the night.
Speaker 5: I loved it. I loved all of us being out and and weirdly that they wrote that bit about the girl who was wearing my clothes who wound up being the girl you'd been talking about at the label and we had this overlap we didn't know about, and then we got to bring Haley into it, and we all were like what it was. It was such a like a genuine silly thing that happens with friends when you're like did you read about that? You know, and everybody's seen it because like for whatever reason, it's the top of Twitter that day. Like it felt real and and light.
Speaker 4: And funny, gossipy, just like dish. You know, who do we think that actress was? We need to we need to like figure out who the actress was.
Speaker 5: Probably somebody who didn't deserve it.
Speaker 4: I mean, that's it. That's it. We labeled all the poor girls in the early aughts. Is like she's a drunk because she like goes out at night. Yeah, it was probably soone perfectly lovely.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm sure she was fine.
Speaker 4: She's fine, top ten head on Tierra.
Speaker 2: Guys, what I'm sorry, Well, I was saying you were saying she's so perfectly lovely, which also made me think of Tory Tobato and I don't know if you guys have talked about Nanny Carey yet, but.
Speaker 4: No, we want you to talk about Nanny Carey.
Speaker 5: Wait. Did you guys remember that she came in this early?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 5: Oh, I couldn't believe it. Episode two.
Speaker 4: It's like I don't know where to look. We've got hot Mikayla and hot Tory. I don't know where to look, just surrounding us with beauty.
Speaker 5: They were great.
Speaker 6: I love working with Toy.
Speaker 2: She was genuinely so sweet, Like who you see in Trick that night, that's Toy. And for any of you, if we haven't gone back and listened to our episode with Tory from the live shows that we did, you should go back and listen to those because she's so great and has some funny stories. But she was just lovely and couldn't have been more. Again, we always say it, but it's hard to come into a show that's so well established and then try and make a mark, especially with a character that makes that big of a stamp on the show. And she was so lovely and sweet and kind and fun and just it was an absolute dream scenario. It couldn't have asked for anybody better. It's such a non competitive, like open person.
Speaker 6: It's great.
Speaker 4: She knows who she is. Did you know she was gonna end up being a bad guy? Like, did you know where it was going?
Speaker 6: I don't think so.
Speaker 2: No, not at all.
Speaker 5: I don't think any of us did.
Speaker 4: I mean, when you hire a nanny that is that beautiful, you know it's gonna go sideways, right, It's gonna go bad.
Speaker 5: What I thought was interesting though, is that again they gave us a misdirect with it. Where Haley doesn't have a problem with it, the girls are going hello mouth because he's being judged on his looks by this rude woman at his office, is like, don't do that. Also, I'd love to see that girl in a bathing suit. And we're like, eh, so you're there, they're playing with us, will they or won't they? Will they or won't we? Innocent or bad? And because Tory is so lovely and her energy comes through her like it did in that scene at the bar. You think like, well, maybe it won't because that would be so stereotypical, right, like the dad having the affair with the hot nanny. We've seen it a million times. So in a weird way, they make you debate what you already know so that you don't see crazy nanny Carey coming.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah. It's so weird knowing what's going to happen and seeing how just sweet and gentle she comes in. She's so likable. Man. It was really kind of hard to view Robbie Jones, who played Quentin as a high schooler, because he wasn't the same way we weren't. You know, he was our age and he's playing like in a lower bracket, you know, and we're like, but he's not a kid, he's our age, and so that kind of stuff does get kind of It's confusing because I'm like, oh, no, he's a potential love interest. The boys got Mikayla and Tori to show up and had new friends to play with, and we had someone playing a high schooler and we're like, that's not there. Come on, man, it's a really small fishing hole here in Wilmington, and I just want to kiss somebody that's new. No, I can't.
Speaker 5: It's like you said it in season one, Hillary, like it was either college students or retired golf guys. Like we didn't have anybody to kiss but each other, So like, what do you want?
Speaker 4: What do you want from us?
Speaker 5: And it is weird when the optics, you know, when we're all twenty five and we're now playing twenty five year olds, and then they bring in a twenty five year old to play a seventeen year old. You're like, what I would have I don't know. I would have loved to have seen if Nanny Carey didn't go crazy. I think I think her in mouth could have been very sweet, like this lovely woman and the news cast her. I don't know. But then like obviously I think that's really just because Mellicent's not in Tree Hill yet. But I don't know. She could have had a she could have had a lovely thing. Maybe she would have married a teacher. Maybe we would have just been these lovely people.
Speaker 4: Her and skills could have been real spicy.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, like what.
Speaker 4: If she fell for junk? You know, yes, yeah, she could have been like I just I like how down to earth he is. I like, what a child at heart junk is playing with work on. My favorite line of the episode was little Jamie saying I'm taking a stand, to be echoed later by Brooke. Like that as someone who felt like she was taking a stand and some stuff, and you know the six months that surrounded this episode, I'm seeing a child be like not doing it ahead, Yeah it was great. Well, Jeff was on a chair behind me. I was on the couch and he's like seated behind me. And when or when Skills says, yeah, my man's taking a stand, he laughed out loud hard and I was like, oh, oh, we're invested. Okay, fantastic. He loves Skills. I love it. But that sense of not forcing your kid to do stuff they don't want to do, I'm that mom all day. I remember taking Gus to a rock wall. All the other kids were climbing the rocks and Gus got two of those little handholds up and was like, we're good, and you have to explain to them like, hey man, I'm so proud of you for not caving to peer pressure. Do it in your own time. You'll figure it out.
Speaker 5: That is such a.
Speaker 2: Hard thing to do as a parent, because you also know, look, my kid would never have learned to ride a bike if I didn't make her. She sat there and was like kicking the bike. She was so mad, she was so never seen her throw fit in my life except oh that bike. And it was like, I'm really not I really don't want to enter into a power struggle with her, but her future will be sincerely less exciting. If she doesn't know how to ride a bike. She can't go on vacation with friends. She can't just like run up the corner to see your friend, you know, want to, Like, you've got to know how to ride a bike.
Speaker 4: I don't know. I got gravel at my house. You can't really ride a bike here. I don't know if my son knows how to ride a bike. I didn't learn to ride a bike till I was eighteen years old.
Speaker 6: Did you really has been so much so hard to learn back then.
Speaker 2: But anyway, I mean, I think there's there's things like that for everything. I mean, it could it could be like a safety issue or something that you actually have to do, or you know, something that you're just like no, this is important, but we're getting right, Like, if you fall off the horse, the ideas you have to get back up. If you don't get back up, you will be paralyzed with fear for the rest of your life and you will never get back up on a horse. So as soon as you fall down, you have to get right back up on that horse. So I was watching that and thinking how great this is that Haley is giving Jamie that autonomy to make that decision for himself. But it did also make me think of all the time. So I was like, when it's hard to tell, like when is the moment when you're like, I'm so sorry, but you actually do have to do this.
Speaker 4: Because I had Gus before any of my friends had kids, I like I was on an island, like I didn't know who to ask about stuff like that. And I remember making the decision that I wasn't going to potty train him, and I was like, no, all these women are like being super competitive about like their kid potty training or like learning how to do stuff super fast. I'm just gonna let him figure it out. And sure enough, he just woke up one day and was like, I'm potty trained now. And so that's totally been my method for everything. Like they just wake up one day and they're like, it's time. Today's the day, whether it's bike shit or or you know, go carts or whatever he wants to do. He's the personality like Jamie where it's like, I don't want to do it today, and then you wait and a couple months later they're like, right now, this is the time. And then they feel so empowered because they're like, I knew this was the right time. You didn't know, mom, because you're a dumbass, but I knew. I knew. Wow, George, she just refuses to do it. She's just like, no, you'll do it for me. You'll do it for me. We'll push the cart for me.
Speaker 5: Isn't But isn't that also interesting to realize that you got to know a little bit about where people live? Yea, because there's no kid who's gonna bike around where's gus kinna go? It's not only taking a bike anywhere hundreds of acres of your farm, Like it's gonna take him an hour to bike to somebody's house and on gravel. Who's biking? But Joy, we grew up in neighborhoods where you would literally bike two blocks away to see your friends, and yeah, if you couldn't, you wouldn't be able to have a social life. And it's funny to get outside your own arena of experience and go what is that for you? And somebody who I think tells the story so well, Glenn and Doyle, who I still can't believe, I call a friend, what a weird things, one of my favorite authors, and she we just happened to be friends and I'll never get over it. And she's like, can you calm down about it? And I'm like, no, Today's not the day to use Hilary's point. Not today, maybe tomorrow. But she wrote, uh, there's a chapter in her book and untamed about taking her daughters and maybe some of their friends. I don't really remember what the group was to get their ears pierced. And one of the girls was really game, and one of them was like, nopem and somebody said just be brave and she said no, no, they're both being brave because one wants to do this and one does not, and they're both brave enough to listen to how they feel and know that they are making the right choices for themselves, and I was like, who, you should teach classes to everyone else because we could all use them. Like it was such an interesting way to put it in perspective and to really bring my tangential story back. What a funny, wild, cool thing that a four year old saying this is where my boundary is helped Brook Davis, an adult who runs a huge global company, say you know what, I'm setting a boundary today. I loved it. I loved it so good.
Speaker 4: Ha. The reveal of Brooke and Jamie pulling off the brown paper from the door and seeing that it's Karen's cafe, that was like goosebumpy. That was so sweet, full, sob for me. God, how could Karen just leave the cafe? It just makes me think, like what happened?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, where is she? We don't even know adults.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I think she's in Australia or something. Weird.
Speaker 5: Yeah, isn't she.
Speaker 4: They didn't want to pay anybody.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they got stingy. Yeah, our bosses wanted to buy very expensive sports cars, so actors were not getting paid, which feels crazy when you have Moira Kelly. But here we are. We'll just talk about her until she comes back.
Speaker 4: What else did we miss? There's so much stuff.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I love a love triangle, so I'm super into. I'm super into the Lucas Peyton Lindsay thing. I'm really into what feels like it's gonna be the Nathan Haley Nanny Carey thing. Oh god, it feels so dangerous. But I want to know who Brooke is gonna kiss like it feels Brooke Davis, you know, the pied Piper of boys, is not making eyes in anybody right now, and it feels very weird.
Speaker 5: She needs that.
Speaker 2: Brooke has been constantly all about the boys, and this is so good for her, and I love that she can also just set up a storyline for us that isn't all about boy drama, because everybody loves a little boy drama. But we also need to see women just like figuring out how to start a company, I mean, or keep it people out and do it.
Speaker 6: I mean, I just love that. I think that's so awesome.
Speaker 4: When she says on the phone, yes, there's a boy here, and we knew a little boy.
Speaker 5: It's my godson. You're just not letting me finish. Yeah, it's really nice, some little I'm sorry. Maria's here, she's getting in the car. I'm taking bye, honey.
Speaker 6: She's like, bane it was locked.
Speaker 2: Okay, mom, we have to go. Okay, guys, Okay, sorry, I won't all right, I'm gonna let you finish up.
Speaker 5: Okay, okay, bye.
Speaker 4: See. That's how we do for the kids.
Speaker 5: That's what we do. I do love that Brooks world is expanding as she comes home, that she knows what's important. It's sort of what we were talking about earlier when we were talking about loss, that a big work life that consumes all of your time without a life life is not enough. Yeah, and we were all really struggling with that at.
Speaker 4: This Oh my god, well because at this age too, like where I come from, everybody gets married at twenty one, twenty two, and I was catching a huge ration of shit from everyone, like you didn't come to my college graduation, and you didn't come to my bachelorette party, and you didn't come to this, and you didn't come to.
Speaker 5: This, tell me about it.
Speaker 4: My time didn't belong to me and it didn't belong to you, And so I felt awful and was just constantly apologizing for being a bad person because I hadn't gotten this job.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, you're always on the receiving end of shit. And then someone will say, well, you know you went to that event and it's like, well, yeah, because they scheduled around it because they want us to do press that looks fancy from the outside, but that's they look at that as strategic. That's still then a commercial to go, yea commercial advertising guys, Come on, you know the the reality that you just you just don't get to go to things, you just don't and yes you love it, but it's hard and the struggle that it's both is something that I was really I just felt so connected to in this moment, and I think I loved the storyline so much because Brooke got to change it. I didn't get to go home, but she did. She got to form a relationship with her godson, and she got to be back with her best friend, and you and I had those moments that were so beautiful together and I was like, this is everything I want. Yeah, And I really really loved it.
Speaker 4: It felt good, It felt really real, and I know that we're eventually going to end up like in Brooks apartment somewhere all I can think is are they staying in a hotel in their own hometown right now? Because there is nothing that feels worse as someone that has to do that when I go home to Virginia, like staying in a hotel, really at the Riverview Suites or Brook and Peyton are at the Wilmingtonian.
Speaker 5: They're at the Wilmingtonian in the Marilyn Monroe room with the famed room. Does Peyton go home? I don't remember. Do you still have the house? The Sawyer House?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: No, no, they haven't shown where we are because I thought about that after last week's episode. I'm like, Peyton goes to pick Brook up at the airport, but then where does she take her?
Speaker 5: Where do we go? I'm very curious. I think this is probably why they make brook by a house so fast.
Speaker 4: Let's just settle down, girls, we're just gonna We're just gonna buy a house. What did we miss? Because I love getting messages from people that are like, I can't believe they talked for an hour. They didn't bring up this, So why don't I get yelled at anymore?
Speaker 5: I don't want to get yelled at either. I watched I'm gonna confess something. I watched this episode on my lunch break at play rehearsal in London. Yeah, and I only made it forty two minutes or in or whatever I had. I think, hold on, I've still got it pulled up. I can tell you exactly where I had this stung.
Speaker 4: Oh, you have to see the end. The end is magic.
Speaker 5: No, because I remember, oh wait, oh, yeah, I have I have seven minutes and forty.
Speaker 6: Eight seconds left.
Speaker 5: God, so I knew once I realized what this episode was, I knew what was coming. I knew that I'm taking a stand was coming. I felt it in my bones. But guys, there's eight minutes. I have no idea. Holy tell me, what did I miss?
Speaker 4: Oh my god? I mean the reveal of Karen's cafe is so good, like that was a winner. Nathan rolls that wheelchair into the pool.
Speaker 5: Right, oh, in the pool that I remember too. It was weird to't be watching and go, oh, I remember how this? Oh, I remember how this? And then I thought, I know the cafe happens. I know Nathan in the pool happens.
Speaker 4: But then he gets out of the pool and he's perfectly dry, and he goes to Jamie's room.
Speaker 2: No, he's not dry, girl, he's dry.
Speaker 4: He takes Jamie out to the racetrack and they race each other in the wheelchair in.
Speaker 5: The wrong car. Oh that's right. Oh god, So they do their own soapbox rally.
Speaker 4: Haley doesn't witness that, you know, And I guess I don't know. I just feel really sympathetic for Nathan because I've gone through dark patches that have certainly lasted longer than four months. And I'm like, see, he's connecting with his kid. They probably have these little like quiet moments that Haley doesn't witness, and he doesn't have to like be performative about it, like, hey, buddy, great, come talk to me. Oh that's so they were very cute.
Speaker 5: Sweet, I forgot about that.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: It's interesting because I, you know, in all, in all the journeys we've done, I identify with his experience and deep sadness and rage and all of that. And I know how long I waited to throw. I wish I'd done it sooner. Yeah, So I also really I also really want to cheer.
Speaker 4: Right now, we know the four months, what is the appropriate amount of time We're going to figure out what that is it's like, listen, I don't know, four months too soon, six months now you're dead to me.
Speaker 5: It also depends on it depends on what the issue is that's making you want to throw things.
Speaker 4: I think I mean Peyton leaving Nathan in the children's cancer ward of the hospital was so extreme and weird.
Speaker 5: That was unacceptable.
Speaker 4: Hi, I haven't seen you in four years. Just gonna drop you off with all these immune compromised children real quick.
Speaker 5: What bothers me about those sorts of liberties is that it's just implausible you would not be on the pediatric oncology floor taking someone to physical therapy. You know what I would have loved if you guys were having that conversation walking into the hospital and getting on an elevator. You turned him around and you and you smacked on college like you know, pediatrics or whatever in the elevator and shoved him out and said, look at how ungrateful you are. I'm out, And you left him there and he had to wheel back and go to physical therapy, like do something more interesting. Then they're just happening to walk through here and there's not a single nurse saying you are not allowed on this floor. You could be bringing in a passage in I could kill a kid.
Speaker 4: We didn't think things through. Come on, that hospital set was ours. We were going to use it however we want well.
Speaker 5: And it was only one floor. There was an elevator, but it went to nowhere.
Speaker 4: Hey, okay. Other favorite scene of the show though, is you me and Lucas on the river court like I love we went back to that space together.
Speaker 5: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 4: It's like a magnet.
Speaker 5: And that was part of the place where when we were talking about our lives and you said, well you have this, I wrote it down. You said, uh, now I want to tell you what I wrote down and I can't see.
Speaker 6: It there it is.
Speaker 5: You said, you have a very busy, very great life in Brooko's Nope.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm that's what.
Speaker 5: It looks like. Nope, this is what I care about. We get into this thing about your dreams and investing in them and like we're going to do it together.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I just I loved how honest but like alive and joyous and oh messy it was. And then this boy shows up and it's like, hey, go talk to her about this. Oh it just felt so fun.
Speaker 4: Brook is such a good wing Man.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 4: No, but that sense of like I did the work thing. You and I do this in real life. You're doing it in Tulsa, you know, and you've done it in other small towns where you have kind of built chapters of your life. I'm doing it here in Rhinebeck. It's like we go out and we work.
Speaker 6: Work, work, work, work, work, work, work work.
Speaker 4: I feel like the last five years I've just been like working constantly, and then you hit this point where you're like, Okay, I'm gonna do a home chapter and I'm just gonna be home for a while. And now I'm doing PTA and it takes precedent over literally everything else, Like I'm scheduling everything around PTA.
Speaker 5: PTA.
Speaker 4: It's the thing that restores us. Like we're cancers, we're homebodies, we're nest I like the Brook is able to embody that, and it doesn't look like failure. It looks like a different color success.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, Well, and everybody's always got opinions about what you're doing. Hey, not everybody knows what you're doing.
Speaker 4: And b.
Speaker 5: We all we all need that. You know. I had all these people this year being like, well, what do you mean You're not going to go do a pilot. What's your next show? And I was like, no, I need a minute. I need a minute. I want to be I want to be home for the holidays. I want to I want to look around and just figure out what I want to do in this moment. And I was like, I want to go do a play. That's what I want to do. TV's there. I want to go do this other thing. And it feels exciting. And I think it can remind you of what you love and why when you give yourself a moment to breathe, reset, and then decide what excites you. And I love that these two friends are coming home to breathe and.
Speaker 8: Figuring out what excites them.
Speaker 4: Okay, we have a question from Haley not spelled like our Haley. This is a l E. I G. H Haley, if you had any scenes with Jamie, how would you go about rehearsing your lines with him? Would he have an acting coach on set to help him through every scene or did he rehearse ahead of time? I mean you worked with them more than I did.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean we worked together a lot. You know, time with kids is limited, but yeah, he I think his mom really really worked with him a lot. You know, his mom and siblings uprooted moved to Wilmington so that he could do this job and his his I can't remember it. I feel like he had two siblings.
Speaker 4: Got it to me he had an older sister and a younger brother. Because I took the older sister with mike Lewonne's daughter to go see Mama Mia, I had a two nine year olds with me and jaming.
Speaker 5: Oh my god. I was thinking for some reason that they were both older. But that's probably why I'm thinking of I'm thinking there was a running around set together. Yeah, but you know, his mom would really help him memorize things, and because he was not working every day like we were, he he had less to remember. And then we would work, so we would rehearse, and then we would kind.
Speaker 8: Of gamify it.
Speaker 5: You know. I could be like, well, when you say this to me, what do you think you're really saying? And he, you know, he could ask me what do you mean, and it's like, well, you know, somebody's have a really good day and you say to them, how are you and they say I'm good. Or if someone's having a bad day and you say to them how are you and they say, I'm good. Yeah, you know the difference, right, like what's really underneath it? And so we would play these games together that were really they were really fun and blocking with kids, you know, figuring out the action that happens through the scene, when you pick him up, when you high five, when you run around that really I think can ground them too. So he definitely had to do work at home and then we would just work together. And then I mean the lassitter said it last week. Sometimes she'd be hiding next to the kitchen cabinets going this is this is your line. We just made sure we always made sure he had the support he needed because he was only four.
Speaker 4: Gus just got offered a movie and I'm I'm like no, I like, we haven't even read the script. But I'm like also horrified because he wants to do it. And I'm like, oh my god, am I going to be a stage mom? Like is that what's gonna happen? Yep, I don't know. I can't. Like George is the age that Jackson was, and there's she's so feral, there's no way she would stand on a mark, Like she won't let people brush her hair. She's like, you know, I can't imagine my baby baby working. But Gus's got a mustache now, so he thinks he's a grown man and it's like, mother, I must man. Yeah, it's so stressful. Well, I'm glad Jackson had you to mother hen him on set. Just take him under your wing. What's our most likely to what.
Speaker 5: Do we got? Let's spin a wheel. Be curious too to ban it'spanon. I'd be so curious to hear Joy and James answer that question as well, obviously as the people who played his parents, like how yeah, how that was? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Could he read at that point? Or did someone have to read the line to him? Ooh? Who is most likely to.
Speaker 5: Become a detective?
Speaker 4: You don't du duh? Yeah, I mean it's kind of I.
Speaker 5: Mean, you literally do a documentary series about solving crimes. But also if something's going on, you're always the person to go, Guess what I found out, Guess what I dug up, Guess where blah blah blah went, Like you always know it's you A thousand go I'm nosy, Oh, don't deflect, You're you're good at it.
Speaker 4: No. I loved like on set learning things from the crew and being able to like trickle information down and be like, you know, you don't know about that. Oh my god. We're going through case files right now for the next season of our show, and it's just fuckery everywhere. And you know you want to when you're dealing with morbid subject matter, it messes with you, but you want to show up and do a good job for these people because no one else is. So I totally understand the private investigator mindset of like, all right, well, no one else is doing the job, I'll do it. You know, let's just roll up our sleeves. Who on our show would be a PI always kind of like Fergie. He's always around, but just.
Speaker 5: But he's mysterious. Nobody knows what he does. Maybe he's in the CIA, Yeah, come into that.
Speaker 4: Who else like doesn't have a job but is always around. I like those people you just never really know. What do you do? How do you afford your mortgage? How do you pay for gas?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 5: How'd you buy that apartment?
Speaker 4: Like his skills is his only job? The basketball coach? Does he not have like another hustle?
Speaker 5: It seems that way.
Speaker 4: I just remember when we were kids, those like one eight hundred commercials where you could do mail order degrees and it was like at home nursing, private investigator. And I remember thinking like, why would I go to college? I could just stay home and be a private investigation.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I could stay home and play the Inspector Gadget theme song to myself all day, dunderd Dirt, Dirt, Dirt, dar.
Speaker 4: Like, come on, I'm here for it. Sign me up, folks. We got an honorable mention.
Speaker 5: God, I feel like this whole episode is an honorable mention. Isn't that silly?
Speaker 4: I just love Nathan coming up out of the water because it was slow motion. It really was like free Willy, Like it was like a different movie, and it because there was so much heavy for me personally, and also in the episode. I just loved that moment of like, da, it was fun.
Speaker 5: I love feeling like our heroes are back. Yeah, and you know, I know the journey's not over for him, but what he's saying is he's gonna fight for it. Yeah, and that like that's that's it, that's everything.
Speaker 4: And that we got to see him make that decision by himself, not with Haley, not with his son, not with anybody else like to see him do it by himself. Now we get the added reward of him eventually revealing it to people. So I'm excited about our future episodes. What do we got next week? Baby?
Speaker 5: Next week, Season five, episode three, My way home is through you. Well, that's sweet.
Speaker 4: I love you. We'll have so much fun in London.
Speaker 5: Love it, Thank you, my angel, Love you all. See you next week.
Speaker 2: See you hey, thanks for listening.
Speaker 5: Don't forget to leave us a review. You can also follow us on Instagram at Drama Queen's Oth.
Speaker 4: Or email us at Drama Queens at iHeartRadio dot com. See you next time.
Speaker 5: We all about that.
Speaker 3: High school drama Girl, Drama Girl, all about them high school queens. We'll take you for a ride and our comic girl shared for the right teams
Speaker 2: Drama Queens, tough Girl Fashion with your tough girl, you could sit with us Girl Drama Queens, Drama Queens, Drama Queens, Drama Drama Queens, Drama Queens