Speaker 1: Kubbooms.
Speaker 2: If you thought four hours a day, twelve hundred minutes a week was enough, think again. He's the last remnants of the old republic, a sole fashion of fairness. He treats crackheads in the ghetto cutter the same as the rich pill poppers in the penthouse.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: The Clearinghouse of Hot takes break free for something special. The Fifth Hour with Ben Maller starts right now.
Speaker 1: In the air everywhere. The Fifth Hour with me, Ben Maller and Danny g Radio. We're hanging out with you on an NFL Saturday. A couple of games later today as we are doing this here early in the morning, but the NFL will be back the final weekend of the NFL for the regular season, and so the last chance to watch terrible teams play football today though we've got the Brownies and the Ravens. That is a massive point spread. The Ravens huge favorites in that game against Cleveland, and then later on at Bailey Zappi Zappie Mania for the Browns. Great, great for them, unless it's not. And then the Bengals and the Steelers, and that game is the late game, and I am planning a malor friend hangout to watch the games.
Speaker 3: Oh, the Ravens. That point spread has moved up to twenty one and a half points.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which is good because when we did the show and everything stops, when we did the Betty versus the Penny, it was like seventeen and a half was the point spread. So and I took I actually laid the points with the Ravens. This is one of those games the Ravens should win, like forty one to ten or something like that. Right, the only question is, well, you know, somebody gets hurt that obviously screws things up or something. This is the Browns. They're three and thirteen for obvious reasons. And some of the key guys are going to be playing I don't know. And then the Bengals and Stuards, as we mentioned now on this podcast, and we will celebrate National Trivia Day, and I still do trivia on the show. And I found some fun facts about National Trivia Day that the first book of Trivia is only about one hundred years old, little over one hundred years old, nineteen twenty. The book Trivialities Bits of Information of Little Consequence. What. Yeah, it was a one hundred and five years ago. That was the first one, and the ones that we remember probably damn we were little those bathroom reader remember the bathroom readers.
Speaker 4: Oh, of course, all our grandparents had those.
Speaker 1: You sit on there. And I remember when when I was, you know, dating myself, but when Trivial Pursuit came out, I was like, oh my god, this is mind boy. But that was back when people actually played board games and it became really really popular.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we have this tradition at the g House where every holiday, my wife he takes out a whole bunch of board games and none of them get used.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that's about right, that's about right. I do recall because we didn't have no on TV, so Hollis we would play. We would play board games, and some of them, my memories of them are romantic and great. But I also I know there are memories that I have buried of playing Monopoly.
Speaker 4: In the game.
Speaker 1: You know, it was just a shit show. I know that.
Speaker 4: I know that.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, there's certain board games where there was always a family member screaming and crying and running out of the room.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we are planning this week and this is a podcast exclusive, a Fifth Hour.
Speaker 4: Exclusive, but watch out now.
Speaker 1: I was going to just a couple weeks ago, and it was actually the recommendation of an emailer to this podcast, so I was like, ah, you know what, I think we'll do it. And so this is supposed to be the week. We're still working out some of the kinks here, but the plan is Tommy, since he Tommy, and we're gonna play the game, are you smarter than the FSR Tech Queen? And we will we will ask These are not sports questions, Danny, but there'll be questions much like the TV show Basic first, second, third, fourth, fifth grade questions, And who do you think is smarter the random callers to overnight talk radio or Lorraine Uh. Now, we're not gonna give her the answers. She's gonna have to come up with the answers on her own. But who will do better? That's the question we'll find out. I'm not sure what night we'll play at one of these nights, so this is gonna be good, probably early.
Speaker 4: In the week.
Speaker 1: I'm thinking early in the week. So I saved some things yesterday we're here. I was here barking away and you were you were on assignment, So there were some things I didn't get to I was away for a few days. I think I took a total like five days over the two, you know, three weeks I think I was. I was here for most of the most of the shows. I'm not a numbers guy, but that doesn't seem to add up. We got family business, the Pink Eye, pal Anti Yankees, and Late Night Munchies with a surprise Late Night MUNCHI is a surprise that we'll get a lot of lots of stuff to get you. We'll start with this though. So where did I go on my time away? I was debating, do I go out of town? Do I stay in town? Had I couldn't really go that far because we're still doing the TV shows, so I only had a couple of days to play with. But we ended up making the drive from LA. We left LA at six point thirty at night on I think it was a Thursday, and drove to San Francisco from from LA and we got there. We stopped a few times. I think we got three in the more on day driving through it was raining, it was raining in central California. But we went to San Francisco.
Speaker 4: Washed away all the homeless that's there.
Speaker 1: Oh, no, no, they were still of course I did not stand the Tenderloin district, but it wasn't much better over in Fisherman's Wharf where we were staying. I told my wife, so listen, and I actually like San Francisco. It's cool city to visit. Beautiful city, the skyline, the bridges, I mean, it's really beautiful, but it's it's also a shithole. And so like I'm like, why don't we stay outside the city, And then it's probably cheaper, it's safer, we don't have to worry much about as much about our car getting broken into, and then we can drive into the city and take our chances and all that. And but my father in law actually drove up separately and he wanted to stay in the Fisherman's Wharf area. Uh so that's where we stayed. And the reason we went there is my brother in law bought a new house, makes a lot of money, works for the big internet company, one of the big internet companies up there, and he's, you know, he's obviously doing very well because, as you know, Danny, real estate in the Bay Area very very cheap, right, very.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And if you work for one of those big tech companies similar to radio money.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, very.
Speaker 1: Similar and unless it's not. And yeah, he's telling me, I don't know if I should say which internet company works for it's not you know, I don't know if he wants that out there. You don't know who he is, but it doesn't really matter. But he's like, oh, yeah, they like provide us free food.
Speaker 4: What is it rhyme with?
Speaker 1: Oh, it rhymes with Google is what it rhymes with. But yeah, so and those those Waymo things all over the Bay Area that that took a little getting used to. They have the those are creepy, right, yeah, yeah, yeah, those things were all over the place. Those self driving cars, the automated cars, the way Mos. I think they're Google. I think that's a Google product.
Speaker 4: I believe, I think so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they were all over the place, and so we spent a couple of days there. I did have an opportunity in Nanny to go somewhere I had wanted to go. I watch a lot of these YouTube travel vlogs because I'm a loser and that's what I do. And I think we talked about it on this podcast a while back. There's a taco bell on the beach. I think we talked about this. I feel like we did. Maybe we didn't. Maybe I'm just imagining that we talked about this.
Speaker 3: And no, no, we've referenced it on the podcast before in Pacifica.
Speaker 1: Yes, all right, So now my brother in law lives in He just bought a house, not in Pacifica. However, I had this serendipitous moment. So we were at his house and we went out like a little diner. More on that in a minute. And we went out to the diner and for some reason, I said, I think this is within a few miles of that taco bell that looked very similar to the videos that I had seen, and so I brought it up in first day. Immediately, Yes, right down the road theready come on. Everyone knows where that taco bell is. So we we went there. I went to the taco bell on the beach in Pacifica and walked around.
Speaker 4: And uh, it was.
Speaker 1: It was really awesome. It was cool. I mean as cool as a taco bell can beat.
Speaker 4: Andy. I don't want to get to taco bell with a view.
Speaker 1: But I did look at the prices. I was like, well, this is on the beach and they must be charging like, you know, eight dollars a taco or something as the same prices as every other taco. Bell just happened to be that you walk outside, they have like a little deck, and then there's the Pacific Ocean.
Speaker 4: Diarrhea on the sand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just go, you just go in the ocean and uh, you know, God God's toilet right there in the ocean, and knock yourself out. So I was only in San Francisco for a couple of days. We then we I think it was Saturday afternoon. We had you know, we'll get together Saturday afternoon and then hit the road and traveled well. We stopped in Los Gato's briefly because my mother in law wanted to stop at a bakery of all things. And then we drove down to San Louis Obispo, which is a three hour drive three and a half whatever. So we drove to San Luis Obispo to meet some other family that were driving up from La or like, spend the day with them. So we hung out. Now this whole trip, Danny, there was one thing. I can say this because none of these people listen to this podcast. So I feel like I'm safe. I'm in the Safe Harbor. My brother in law and my father in law both took their dogs with themf earf So that meant every restaurant we went to we had to sit outside. It's late December in the Bay Area. It was kind of rainy.
Speaker 3: I was like, what they got some bone chilling and cold too.
Speaker 4: People don't realize it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's it's not so col It gets chili. And so we're sitting outside. I'm like, oh, what are we doing?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, Danny, I think we both look at restaurants. We like them, but when we look at the prices, we get a little a little crazy, right, So and my whole thing is that we're going to spend that money on food. I want a good experience and I want I want to not freeze my ass off while I'm eating my potatoes. And anyway, it was, it was interesting. So we had to find restaurants, and a lot of restaurants didn't have outdoor seating or you know, is this that and the other thing? The restaurants we wanted to go to, So it was a bit of a yeah.
Speaker 3: And then I had this other yeah at that price point, A waitress should come out, sit on your lap to keep you warm.
Speaker 1: Lap dance. So and at that point we're in San Luis Obispo and this gets very awkward. So my niece and nephew kids say the darness things. So my niece and nephew drove up from LA to me. All right, this is my sister in law. So everyone's together, right, everyone's together. We're in the hotel, we're sitting there. They come in to say hello. I say hello to uncle Benny. And the TV was on and we're trying to find something to watch and couldn't really find it on TV. And then my niece, God bless her, she did something that made me very uncomfortable. Danny, very very uncomfortable. She's reading, She's like eight years old. She's reading the screen, right, and she's like, hey, uncle Benny, that's your TV show. Let's watch it. Danny. The last thing I want to do, okay, the last thing I want to do is sit in a room with my in laws and watch the TV show. Hey. I love them. They don't know anything about sports. They're not sports people, right, that's number one. Number two. You know they're going to watch that and it's going to be very awkward. We're uncomfortable because they're going to ask more questions. And that's exactly what happened.
Speaker 4: Oh no turned into a Q and a oh yeah, so.
Speaker 1: Are you beating the penny? No, I'm not beating the pen? How are you not beating the penny? It's do you wear that same hat every week? Exactly?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 1: Why why are you wearing a pull over? You don't usually wear that? What's up with that one?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 3: Do you?
Speaker 4: How's a professional? Do your makeup?
Speaker 1: How much? Exactly? How much do you get paid for that show?
Speaker 4: Really?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 4: You feel me?
Speaker 1: Universal? Can I go with you? You know that whole? So that was and I love my niece and nephew. Really, my nephew had pink eye and was barfing five years old. He's so sick, but he had a great attitude. You know, puke can get up and just start start rolling along there and doing his thing. But I took my niece to the famous you've been there, I know, Danny Bubblegum Alley in San Luis Obispo. People it's a landmark. You just put their used bubblegum all over the place. And I think I must spend more time in Saint Louibiths, but it's cool. I've been there many times. We stop by the Madonna in the famous hotel there, very Gautti Hotel and all that. And I didn't see too many giants hats when I was in northern California. I don't blame them. I don't blame them. Although there are some people that I think are anti Yankees in the Bay, which is good, right, because we're anti Yankees because we're Dodger peak.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I might want to call this anti Dodgers.
Speaker 4: I'll explain.
Speaker 3: So Covino and Rich were filling in for the Colin Cowherd Show this past Friday. I say, morning, it's noon to three pm on the East Coast, so our time it's nine to noon. But to get in front of the traffic, I'm like, well, I got to get on the road early, right, So I got on the road at seven am and it was okay. Get to the studios in Sherman Oaks, California early, hop on the computer, and I got all excited because the day before I had sent an email to the PR director of the Yankees. Hey, I introduced myself and I said, I produce Covino and Rich and we are filling in for the Great Colin Cowherd on Friday. We would love to have Aaron Judge on the show for ten minutes. And yeah, Ben, I send these emails out. As you know, I chased down Mike Tyson and the President. As you know from the Tyson story, sometimes it takes many, many, many, many emails a billion.
Speaker 1: It's deep sea fishing. You're fishing. You're going on a fishing condition hoping that you catch the white whale. Right, you want to catch the white whale, That's what you're trying to.
Speaker 4: Do for sure.
Speaker 3: But the Herd, which is heard on so many affiliates and obviously has the TV show and all of that. I see this email back early in the morning, and I'm excited because before I open it, I'm thinking to myself, Aaron Judge on the show. So I open up the email and it says, Hi, Danny, Happy New Year.
Speaker 1: Let me guess the off season. We're not doing interne interviews or something like that.
Speaker 3: Close it says happy new Year. Thanks for reaching out, but we are going to respectfully decline for Friday. Maybe we can set something up on one of your future programs. By the way, nice profile picture. Oh and then in the what is that called underneath the name where they have the signature, the digital signature.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know what you're talking about.
Speaker 3: I don't Yeah, I know that's called either because I don't even have that on my email. I'm so old school. But their Twitter handle is there. So that made me think, oh, well, this person looked me up on Twitter and ben, what has been my long standing picture on my Twitter?
Speaker 1: Oh? Of course you haven't changed your your avatar and like, how long Danny it?
Speaker 3: Well, I've had it up since the Dodgers had cutouts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that's.
Speaker 4: My Dodger cutout that was at the stadium.
Speaker 3: You think, oh, is this anti Dodger because why the smart ass comment about my Dodger profile picture?
Speaker 1: Uhhh I looked you up the investigation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so hey, I'm not going to change my profile picture for anybody.
Speaker 1: Last question, good question. Are you going to try to get Trump on again? You got him on as you mentioned with Clay Travis. I see that's on your you have that pin to the top of your You're yeah, are you going to try to get Trump on again? Now he's back as the president.
Speaker 4: In Uh, what is it?
Speaker 1: The sixteen days right, the sixteen days away from that? Unless they put him in jail, he'll be back.
Speaker 3: I mean, he obviously fit on Clay Travis's show, And I think anybody on our network would like to have a sitting president on the air. But I'm not exactly sure. Covino and Rich would have fun talking to him, but they don't talk any politics on their show. Yeah, it would definitely be out of left field on their program.
Speaker 1: I got you, Yeah, I would. I would love to have a have a president. Yeah, I even put Biden on. I don't care. I mean, he wouldn't know he was on, but I'd put him on.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: Oh man, that poor guy, that speech he recently gave.
Speaker 1: What a mess.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So I look, I'm.
Speaker 3: Gonna play the long game here like I did with the Tyson team. But I'm not sure what to say back to this lady. I didn't say anything back yet, So any advice on the reply?
Speaker 1: Uh? Yes, well, why don't we Why don't we get back when he gets back to spring training? You know, why don't we? Yeah, well, well the next month in spring training, will we'll pursue this? You know, how about.
Speaker 4: That and ps, sorry my Dodgers kicked your sorry ass Uh.
Speaker 1: Well, here's the thing too, like like a lot of those pr people heate doing in the heat, requesting players in the off season doing any interviews. So that's just like a no non starter. But then I've learned also in spring training, well it was very busy in the spring training, which is by the way, Bullshoy Danny. I. I've been to spring training with baseball teams over the years. Normally what happens in the morning, Yeah, they're a little busy and all that for a few hours they work out, but even when the spring training games are going on, they get one or two at batch and they're out of there by an hour into the game and they're on the golf course. So it's not the most grueling life. But yeah, I'm not sure by that, but you will if you This is the next one I met on this show. Remember we wanted Brian Billick and we finally our standard was Brian Billick and we got Blick on. You know this, this reminds me the story of I worked with the great Chris Meyer. So I need to get on this podcast. And Chris, because he hosted that show. Was it called up Close or something like that?
Speaker 4: Yes, I remember that show.
Speaker 1: Chris had the most ridiculous we call it roll the decks of anyone. Like I did a show with him. I was like with him for a few months, and we had like Coach k on, he has his number, Charles Barkley, IDT Barkley on, like all these amazing and they all knew Chris and they love Chris and they were like buddy buddy with him. And he's like, something would happen with some big name in sports and he'd be like, Hey, let's get that guy on. I have his number, give him a call, tell him so and so, and more times than not those people would come on so. But yeah, I don't have that kind of roll the decks I do. I don't unfortunately, But you were aggressive. It reminds me of the story out of Buddy of Mine and Radio that really his dream job was to work at canby R back in the day, right, and he wanted to work in the Bay area, big sports station, not as popular as the one we're on now, but he wanted to work at CANBYR. So he sent the program director every single month, he would send him an air check of his work, and eventually he got hired to work on what used to be called I think it was like sports phone sixty eight at night. Got a job there just by perseverance. They finally broke down the door and they hired. They were annoyed by by that, but.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you got it.
Speaker 3: You gotta push man, because I love the people in our business where they just talk about what they wish things could be.
Speaker 4: Like you got to get off your ass and make it happen.
Speaker 1: No, you do?
Speaker 4: You do?
Speaker 1: Now? I had another brief story I wanted to share with the class. So the other night we didn't go out. My wife had to work on New Year's Eve and I had to get ready for the TV show. So the day before New Year's Eve, my wife wanted to go dance, so we went dancing in La. Now this is her thing, not my thing, but you know, by marriage, I have to do these things. So I went dancing at this place I've been too many times in downtown LA. But we I got on the wrong at the La East LA interchange. I got on the wrong freeway, so I had to get off and drive through skid row to get there. And it was Sodom and Gomorrah Danny. There were people shooting up as we were driving by fires in the trash cans in the street to stay warm.
Speaker 4: It was wild.
Speaker 1: It was like a dystopian type horrible, like everyone's just out there in another dimension type situation. It was nut So so then after we went dancing, we're like, I don't really eat late because I'm on this fasting thing, but it's rare and appropriate, so let's go out have a nice meal. So when in la if you want a late night meal, there are two places you go, and we were trying to decide which of the two to go to. We decided to go to the famous Canter's Deli in La Ice School Stave. I used to live right near Canters. Love it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a veteran move and.
Speaker 1: Been many movies that have been filmed there. So we go down to Canters. I'm just dreaming a Pastrne and Matza ball soup. So we get over to Cannor's Deli and we go in there and we're so excited. It's like eleven thirty or something like that, and we go in there and the very old lady who looks like she has worked there since the nineteen tens. She says, we're no longer open twenty four hours, only takeout after like eleven, so she wouldn't let us. They were not seating anyone in the restaurant. Come on, yeah, So I was like, what the f you know? I mean, this is a staple of Los Angeles, It's been in a bunch of movies. It's a famous deli twenty four hour joint, and they weren't open. So I got pised. So I said, well, all right, we'll go to the other option, Fat sALS. That's where we're gonna go get a nice sandwich. So we get in the car, we leave Canter's Delhi. We drive a few miles away, also in Hollywood, to Fats El and I turn the corner on a Highland. I turn right on the street Fat Seals is, and, much to my amazement, the entire shopping center where Fat Seals was burned down, the whole frickin thing.
Speaker 4: This is like a family vacation movie.
Speaker 1: Now, yeah, this is National Lampoon's family victage. And so I somehow missed this. No one in the mal Or militia told me, I'm shocked by that. Normally they know how much we love this restaurant. Somebody would say this, but around Thanksgiving, I believe it was Thanksgiving the AutoZone in that shopping center. There was a fire that broke out in the AutoZone, so I guess some of the chemicals. I don't know what happened, but it spread to the entire shopping center and Fat sALS is in there. Whole thing burned down. But here's the thing. So Fat Seals relocated like a block away, so they're in a new location. But there's no parking so that's a problem. So there's no parking lot. So we did end up getting to Fat Cells, but that was in the the span of half an hour. We went to the iconic canters w in La no longer opened twenty four hours, only take out after a certain hour, and then we went to Fat Sales and you're all excited, you pull up your think of that Texas sandwich and then then boom, the whole building burned out. It was wild. I was like, what the f and that was That was my time away. I think I'll post some photos probably later today of my by the way the travel stuff, just to prove I was at the Taco on the beach there in the bay and some other photos random photo that they took there of my trip. Let's get to the.
Speaker 3: Phrase of the week, the phrase of the week.
Speaker 1: Phrase of the week. I was thinking about this because I've used it on social media to pathetically promote the fledgling TV show of Benny Versus the Penny, and it's as scene on TV as scene on TV, the phrase of the week. It was obviously an advertising catch and it's still used very much today, although it's odd because of TikTok and Instagram and social media youtubeses as seen on YouTube is not a thing as seen on TikTok, nothing but products advertised once to goes back many many years. Obviously, as seen on TV. As seen on TV was used in advertising. At least nineteen point fifty they started using it, and that was when camera shops advertised the Polaroid Land camera. And there are several trademarks for as seen on TV. At the words sometimes shaped as if inside a television set. There's a whole line of products, whole line of products with that infomercial products. A guy named Philip Hives I believe is his name. He founded the Ktail Company, and they advertised a ton on television and used as seen as TV, as seen on TV as a catchphrase. But it was an infomercial product, an infomocial product. Vege Omadic. Vege Omadic was the product, and it was advertised as seen on TV in nineteen sixty three. And they did not coin the phrase, but they used the phrase and they became known for the phrase. So you can thank the vege Omadic. And let me point out, I've studied, I've read books on infomercials, and the vege Omadic not the only omadic. There was a whole line of products back in the eighties and the seventies that were all I mean, it was all about it man. They were all about that action boss. But anyway, there it is the phrase of the day or the week or whatever, as seen on TV. We'll get out on that, Danny, Annie, you would like to promote here it's a day of rest here on Saturday.
Speaker 3: Some NFL action as you talked about to start the show, and one little favor to ask to start twenty twenty five, Send this podcast to at least one friend or family member this weekend and we'll love you forever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean we got to get keep those numbers high and get you know, we want you to be part of this, and then we'll come up with our own product, like not the chop omatic or the dialogue listen omadic. Can we get the listen omadic where you listen automatically, That would be pretty cool. I we'll get out of here. We'll have a new fresh email Bag podcast, the mail Bag Podcast.
Speaker 3: We keep changing the name of all our features right now, well, you know it's.
Speaker 4: It's a new year. You're freshening up all the imaging.
Speaker 1: Yeah, why not? All right, we'll get out there, have a wonderful arrest your Saturday here and we'll talk to you next time.
Speaker 4: Austa Pasta my relation