Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This is Mick Shot, streaming live on Dallascowboys dot Com and the official Dallas Cowboys apt now. Here are Bill Jones, Everson Wolves, and Mickey Spagnola.
Speaker 3: Micky Spagnola putting on his headset for another edition of Mixed Shots. Here inside the SWBC podcast studio. It's me Bill Jones. It's Mickey Spagnola, who normally is the star of the show, but really today filling in for the vacationing Everson Walls. Nate Newton. Hello, oh nothing, Hell Newton.
Speaker 2: I'm excited to be here. I'm overjoyed. Man. We are the original posse. Y'all know that, right, That's right, we are the original. We started at.
Speaker 3: All, the original talking Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then somebody stole the name and stole all our viewers to it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because they thought that's what they were going to get, right.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, Well welcome Nate.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you. I'm glad to be here. Notice, yes, sir, yeah, you know, make hit me, you know with his phone and I tried to call him back and tried to ring him back. This time he didn't let the ring of kid.
Speaker 4: It didn't ring.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you didn't buy Chantz did not catch yesterday's show. There was a segment where Mickey's phone was ringing incessantly and it was Nate and Frisco who was trying to call him.
Speaker 4: No, he wasn't.
Speaker 2: He was trying to irritated, irritate.
Speaker 4: Me because one person called it was all.
Speaker 2: That's right, and I'm a non important that's right.
Speaker 3: That's right. So who knows what Everson's doing today? But ever since? Not here today? So we get the perspective of Nate Newton.
Speaker 2: From a fat lineman.
Speaker 4: Well, speaking of lineman, since you brought it up, how do you figure that Cowboys offensive line has been performing in the run game?
Speaker 2: It is?
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 2: It has not been effective. I don't know if it's lack of a coach wanted to call it or a quick panic. But the guys, it's certain parts of a game that you have to run in the game. You have to run certain things in a game to get good at and running is now a part of you have to make a concerted, conservative effort to run in the games. Practice will not be good enough. Practices are not physical enough to give you any type true look of what's going down. We have to make a concerted effort offensively to give these guys opportunity. That's the only way they're gonna get better. That's the only way our rookies are gonna jail with our veteran guys. Still is an excellent run blocker. But if you don't get Still going early with run where he can get his hands on people so he can bid his confidence, he normally don't have a good passing game. So we have to make a concerted effort to get guys going. Zeke is an ending between the tackles guy. He will excel there if you give him the opportunity to excel there. So but that trying to get outside that is not Zeke anymore, and that is not who our offensive line is. Our offensive line is in between the tackles guy. We don't know what Guidon is because we haven't given him a chance in the run game to see what type runs he likes the best, or what Cooper Bebie likes the best of what this unit like as a group to best. Because we haven't made a concerted effort, Coach has to. I know Mike Clari, I don't know how he is with his fellow coaches, but I know what his offensive line is saying, coach, give us a chance. They haven't had a chance, and you know, and so that's just how I feel about that.
Speaker 4: Well, the reason I asked because it seems like always the criticism it goes to the running backs, and watching what I've seen, I haven't seen big holes for running backs to fire through.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree with you one hundred percent. Uh, when you when you don't have an elite back who can make things happen regardless of a misblock here or not being full of you have to have an exceptional offense line. And right now, these guys have not worked together long enough to be exceptional. It's only two games. And y'all know how I've always said this once they once coach McCartin said, no preseason for these guys. I am serious when I say you won't know this team and for four or five games you want, and that's any team that don't play their players at least a half during the regular season. You don't know what these guys can do. You've never seen these guys work together and you got two rookies starting, you maybe five six, seven games in before these guys start to have the confidence that they need. You look at the offensive line and all right guard is not who he used to be. He's not. He's he's still an exceptional player, but dominant taking over. No, he's not. That guy still needs a certain style of play to get his confidence up. And so now the only main dog we have is the left guard. He's the most consistent guy at this point. So in going into this game here in the film, I've watched of the Ravens not going to run the ball. Well, you ain't gonna run the ball. They give it up forty nine point five yards a game, and I'm watching them, and they have a solid enough defense where they can gain tackle you, or they can make one on one plays on your offensive line. So I've watched what they did to the Raiders. To the Raiders, they not only ran to the ball when it rushed outside with the reckless abandoned, they were able to defeat one on one players. Number ninety eight was making plays. Number ninety nine was making plays. Big Michael appears, number fifty eight. He just eating blocks. Man. He like a big old fat spunt. Excuse me, sir, I don't want to call you fat. A big old healthy sponge and they're just soaking up blocks. I mean, we can learn something from the Raiders defense. And I'm and I'm quite Back in the day, we would watch people during the offseason, other teams, like, Hey, look at this is how you do this. You you have to find guys, somebody should show number fifty eight for us? What the fifty eight for the Ravens to do? Hey, this is what you're supposed to look like, you know, And but I don't know if it hurt his feelings of getting mad.
Speaker 4: But that'll be okay.
Speaker 2: But help him, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Well, the Raiders only ran the ball seventeen times. They gained twenty seven yards rushing, yes, and so that doesn't bode well.
Speaker 3: By the way, what number fifty eight for the Ravens looks like? He's listed as six foot, three hundred and fifty.
Speaker 2: Five pounds, a pure rocking.
Speaker 3: Gu gut he wears fifty eight because his weight is three fifty eight.
Speaker 2: Jack, get out there. I'm telling you. I'm telling you. He wears a big white T shirt and puts on a jersey that's too small. And then first after the first play, he never tucks his his jersey back down.
Speaker 3: He's just gotten and just six foot tall. Yeah yeah, low man wins.
Speaker 4: So they've only faced twenty runs against Kansas City and so thirty seven runs in two games. So do people just give up? And that's why they're lasting past defense because everybody just throws the ball against them.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The thing about it, their secondary is and as strong as it used to be. They had five sacks against the Raiders.
Speaker 3: Right, five doesn't play there anything?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you know. So the thing about this Ravens team, and y'all know how I am. You lose, you lose, but you can see where the Ravens have had great opportunities to win games. You know, the toe tap against Kansas City. I haven't watched much of the offense of the Ravens. They say even that they had a drive going and yeah, I saw the highlight where the quarterback you know, couldn't get the ball. He just ran it and time ran out. Coaches say, played through the whistle and play through the clock. These guys have done that. They you know, you can look up and say, wow, they pretty they're pretty good. They're a wounded team that has played well. We're a wounded team that played well and have not played well. So you got two desperate teams. I don't know where they end up at after this game. You know, I hate to call it this early in the week, but who's the most desperate team willing to make the right enough of the good plays, you know, and limit the bad plays.
Speaker 4: Well, I'll tell you what. Baltimore doesn't want to start a season zero to three.
Speaker 2: Nah, because they already at the eleven percent. Fact, I'm not making the playoffs.
Speaker 4: Tell you what the.
Speaker 3: Cowboys don't want to start the season one and two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but tell me this.
Speaker 3: Look at the Cowboys schedule card.
Speaker 4: I know, but look at this. How many people that you know, how they do the schedule comes out. It's w l How many people had them one and two after the first three.
Speaker 3: But they didn't have the one of the lsby in New Orleans at home.
Speaker 4: No, they just got it it flipped right. They didn't have them beating Cleveland, they didn't have them beating Baltimore. They had them beating the Saints.
Speaker 2: But this is what makes you laugh. You You the people all twenty two. That is the catch thing now, right, I have all you know, you get called I have all twenty two and what I've seen. Okay, you got all twenty two if you would if you watch New Orleans the week before, you couldn't judge them because of who they played, amount of path and now to insult to injury, they even put the kid on the bench. Bryce is gone. I mean he may not ever play again for the for the Panthers. But the Panthers were missing two of their defensive studs that could have made a difference. And uh so we would have got a better idea if them studs was in there, and New Orleans would have still did what they did. Well, what New Orleans did for us is they secured that we know that our first round pick it's just average. This kid is just average, and that we have two older gentlemen that is on their last leg.
Speaker 4: So my question is, well, now one, what happened Phillips.
Speaker 3: No, he's you're talking about the offensive line.
Speaker 2: No, I'm not talking about.
Speaker 3: About your first round pick. When you said first round, you're back on.
Speaker 2: Guy, No, no, no, Guiding is holding on. Guiding is a thousand miles ahead. Of way, Mazzy was right. Guydon got bulletdog in him. He'll fight Mozzi don't.
Speaker 3: Have any Okay. And so now to the news of this day and.
Speaker 4: Mickey Jordan Phillips has been placed on injured reserve with a wrist injury.
Speaker 3: And the Cowboys have signed Carlos Watt.
Speaker 4: Why do I remember because he was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's why. In fact, he scored a touchdown against the New Orleans Saints at New Orleans. It was like on an interception return or a fumble return in New Orleans. I think, Yeah, he was originally with the Texans, but so they got him a week late because he's had success against New Orleans.
Speaker 2: Good.
Speaker 4: So he's got a wrist injury.
Speaker 3: And I did see the play that you were talking about about. It was the first touchdown of the game where he got blocked in just turned away. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I saw a lot of backpedaling myself.
Speaker 2: You know. I text you guys the other day, I said, was the Detexas two step? This? This this Cowboy team has put I think two good coaches on the hot seat. And I wouldn't have said this a month ago or two weeks ago, and I wouldn't even I wasn't even thinking it. But our defense is automatically put Zim on the hot seat and automatically put coach McCarthy on the hot seat. Because I don't want to say the lack of effort, because I've been in games like that where we wasn't very good early in our career before you know, when coach and Andrew, we wasn't very good. But I don't want to say two games in that this team is not very good defensive. I just refuse to believe that coach Zim cannot turn this around for these guys if they just give the right effort, the right intensity. It's hard for me to knock a team in this new NFL two weeks in. But this is a desperation situation, I believe for both teams, not just for our team, for both teams.
Speaker 3: And one of the reasons I think it's a desperation situation for the Cowboys is when you look at the schedule coming up, Okay, can I run down it? Can I rebrief this?
Speaker 2: I've heard it. You only got one cupcake.
Speaker 3: And that's on a short week on the road. On the road, right, which is next week, which, by the way, the Cowboys are about to play two games in five days. By a week from tomorrow, this team's gonna have four games under their belt, yes, sir, okay, and sitting there one in one right now, you would love to be three and one, but it's okay. After that, okay. So you got the Ravens, and then you got a Thursday game against the Giants. Then you are at the Steelers night game, which is a two and zero team right now, and with their defense the way they're playing home against Detroit, which was in the conference championship game last year, by week at San Francisco, which was in the Super Bowl at Atlanta, which just won on the road at Philadelphia, home against Philadelphia, and then home against Houston.
Speaker 4: So you're saying they can breathe the next week against.
Speaker 3: It and then and then after that, you got two division games within five days of each other, a Sunday Thursday, Thanksgiving week, well at Washington home against the Giants.
Speaker 4: Well, you know what they're saying, this team needs to rack up some wins. But you know what they're saying in Baltimore, what's that? Well, they better win this one because next week they gotta play Buffalo, and the week after that they gotta go to Cincinnati and they're already writing they could be zero to five.
Speaker 2: The thing about it, the thing about it is it's always and I say this until about the tenth game or the eleventh game, there's always next week around about the tenth, eleventh or twelfth game, that you either fighting for something. Are you fighting for for the top ten pick in the draft? So we can say that up unto about the tenth eleven maybe the twelfth week after that your faith is about sealed. So these guys have to find fellas. I'm gonna say this, and I ain't gonna never back up off of this. We have winning coaches. The question is are the play listen other players gonna believe or is it a player over there with enough get up and go, you know, to make the other players respond. I've been around guys that can get guys to respond to what is right. Nothing is wrong with coach McCarthy's system, Nothing is wrong with Mike Zimmer's system. I'm asking the players, what are you gonna do? What are you gonna do? As a player, because I've been on sorry teams. I've been on sorry teams one in one and whatever three and whatever I've fit in thirteen. But somehow, some way, a coach came in Wi. She was Coach Johnson and basically took a lot of those same guys and made the record a little better, made the record a little better. As he started to bring in fresher talent. We are stuck rat where we are. It's not about fresh of talent. This is about the talent that's here, embracing the moment. They have to embrace the moment. Come Sunday, they have to embrace the moment.
Speaker 4: So did you look up Carlos Watkins when you were checking out him?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 4: No, not No, I was just wondering has he been playing?
Speaker 3: Yes, he was with the team. I can't remember who he.
Speaker 4: Was somewhere right, So I look that up. He should be able to play.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he ready to play. He was just he was just let go by someone I can't remember which. I'll look it up and we'll have it. When mix Shots continues in a moment and we go through Mickey's legal pad in just a moment on mix Shots, that's exciting stuff.
Speaker 5: Hey, Cowboy fans, I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, but lately I've been learning a new game. Crypto sound confusing, don't worry. Even US pros were rookies and crypto once. That's why I trust blockchain dot Com. They make crypto easy, no confusing jargon, just the tools to help you.
Speaker 2: Wincot slide for the first down.
Speaker 5: Invest like your icons where everyone is a rookiancrypto with blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 3: Pick throw my goodness, wow did he ever thread the needle?
Speaker 5: Visit blockchain dot Com slash Cowboys to get started.
Speaker 1: Miller Lite is brewed with great taste and only great tape.
Speaker 4: The Miller Brewing Company would like to issue a correction. Miller Lite is brewed to be less feeling.
Speaker 3: What are you doing here?
Speaker 2: Miller Lite tastes great.
Speaker 6: Look, I'm just reading the script.
Speaker 4: It says less filling.
Speaker 3: That's not what my script says.
Speaker 4: Hell mindset.
Speaker 7: We'd like to apologize for the previous announcers Middle Lighters in fact less filling and taste great.
Speaker 8: I'm vishine legal guy, celebrate responsibly. Milwaukee, Wisconsin Beer ninety six thousands peopointd grams covers for twelve bounces, fewer Cowson cars than premium regular beer.
Speaker 9: Star Sports Tools is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders and Cowboy legends. Want to stay at the Team Hotel, attend the best tail gay party in Texas, tour the Star and Top X's and ods with me Everson Walls with Star Sports Tours, You can visit cowboystravel dot com to book your travel package today.
Speaker 6: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 3: Demitt shuts.
Speaker 4: Hey, Nate Newton, are you the twenty twenty four Dallas Cowboys Fan of the Year. The Dallas Cowboys and Captain Morgan are celebrating extraordinary inspiring an original fans, nominate yourself or the biggest Cowboy fan you know for a chance to be named the twenty twenty four Fan of the Year and win prizes including a trip to Super Bowl fifty nine, Visit Dallascowboys dot com slash Fan of the Year, and go Cowboys all right.
Speaker 3: Carlos Watkins was with the Washington Commanders. Okay, he was on their practice squad and I don't know if he was released from the practice squad. I got to look that up. But the Cowboys have signed Carlos Watkins.
Speaker 10: And he was with the Cowboys twenty to twenty. He was twenty twenty one and twenty twenty two. Last year he was with Arizona two games, one start at an injury, and so he was coming off of that and that was why I was not an early signing during the off season as well. So that's stay Jordan Phillips spot. As Jordan Phillips goes on IR with what the Cowboys are saying is a wrist injury.
Speaker 4: So on the practice squad they have two defensive tackles. Denzel Dackson, the rookie free agent that they've got a free spot because he's an international player. And then the other guy is Phil Hoskins, who's in his fourth year six ' five three fifteen. I ran across him. He's pretty big. So if you're looking for big, they had big. I don't know how productive he can be, but it's a body if they have to elevate somebody. And now, when it sounded like when he said they added they added him to the fifty three man roster.
Speaker 3: They did sign him off the practice squad. They poached him off Washington's practice squad. So he's got three games for three games, yep, right, yep. So and the thing with Watkins, and I've got to research him, but he only played the two games last year for Arizona, so we was presuming that he was coming off an injury, which is why he didn't have a market in free He was a late signing by the Commanders petting and training camp.
Speaker 4: So at least they know something about him, oh sure, having been here.
Speaker 3: Right exactly, So that helps. And he was a he's out of Clemson and he was a fourth round pick of the Texans back in twenty seventeen, so he's thirty year old. He fits right in with the thirty something interior defensive lineman that the Cowboys are going with right now or have to go with necessity right now.
Speaker 4: And they realized training camp they didn't have enough defensive tackles.
Speaker 3: Which is why they why they traded for Jordan Phillips, why Lynville Joseph came in, and why Albert Huggins was here for a while.
Speaker 4: Well, and if you think about what they were trying to do is play uh Fijoko inside. They were trying to play.
Speaker 3: Uh and Justin Rodgers the seventh round draft picks now in the Cincinnati practice squad. Y, let me tell y'all that's in the past, tell me what we're gonna do to day.
Speaker 4: I'm saying, why then, shots, that's why they got.
Speaker 3: In this situation. That's why they drafted one in the first round, a defensive tackle on the first round last year. Yes, so they wouldn't be in this position this year.
Speaker 2: This year they went. They did not get anybody in the first three rounds because they was trying to hope that Mazie say see that you are a guy, we're depending.
Speaker 3: You, and they had a huge need at left tackle and the center to film. They took the first round pick and a third round pick this year on them.
Speaker 2: And that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: They got. And they got a defensive lineman in the second round in Marshaw Kneeland, which was a definite need to because of when you look where DeMarcus Lawrence is in his career. Uh, they but he's not an interior defensive.
Speaker 4: A playing them inside.
Speaker 2: So this was to me a soft rebuild. The Cowboys just didn't blow it up because they still have Dak, they still have cd lamb Uh they you know, Martin still you know, guys, they still had a core of players where they don't have to blow it up at this point. But you you had enough young guys that key positions that hurt, you know, the tackle spot, the center spot, out the middle of our defense. And then I we don't know what Sam Williams was gonna do, but that was a big loss. That was a big because we know that he could make plays on both ends, smart and dumb. But especially since yeah, here we sit, what are we going to do today? What are the what is our effort gonna be come Sunday? What is our We know that this team likes to run. We know that they want to get back to their winning ways. And that's them dominating a run game. And I'm talking about the Ravens. What are we going to do defensively? What can coach zim Er cook up for these guys to help these guys be better run stoppers?
Speaker 4: You know well? And they're gonna get you know tested obviously with Lamar Jackson. So what do you guys think you would like to do to stop him from I think he's already run for one hundred and seventy yards.
Speaker 3: Let me say this before we go into that. It was a bicep injury that Watkins had last year. Week two of last year. He was lost for the season with the torn biceps. Now what do you do about Lamar Jackson?
Speaker 4: Yeah, how do you want to stop them?
Speaker 2: Got it?
Speaker 4: Because they're gonna.
Speaker 2: Call Yes, I would not. I was stacked offinsive line. I will make him throw to beat me when we when they when teams get into the playoffs, get into the latter part of the season, don't ever team don't employ this. But the teams that uh late in the season need wins, they make Lamar beat them passing. They beat us passing. Maybe that's the Cowboys answer. If you're gonna beat us, You're gonna have to throw the two hundred and ninety plus yards no interceptions and touchdowns. You know.
Speaker 3: Uh, that's what the Chiefs gave the model for how you defend Lamar Jackson in the playoffs last year. And I mean, you can look at their first game of the year this year, but I look at that playoff game last year, and the way they defended him and kept him in the pocket and kept him from getting out was Steve's your cousin. Steve uh huh was the one who came up with the master plan for that. There was a lot of smart players on that Kansas City defense.
Speaker 4: Too, because you know, they it's not that he scrambles and beats you. They call running plays for him. They're pulling two offensive linemen to be lead blockers for him. Right yeah, And that's what I was going to say, Nate, because now you got ten guys could block for this, not you know, not the quarterback out of the play. So you stack the line and stop the run and make them throw the ball.
Speaker 2: Yes, you got to because and you have to be disciplined because that run pass option, I mean, he got three ways to go again, handed to Henry. He can keep it hisself, but he canna look out there and see if that corner uncheated hit the outside receiver. I hit a tight end fading out with the scene.
Speaker 4: So can you afford to have one linebacker? And I'm guessing Overshown spy on him, just on Jackson if he's if he's just.
Speaker 2: A different dude throwing the ball, just a different dude. If Overshown can't miss see that when when you're elite at what you do, you can't miss. So my thing is, let everybody do their job. And you're talking about spying on.
Speaker 3: It in the past or yeah, yeah, well here's the other thing. It gets back to stop him from.
Speaker 2: What you're saying. Yes, you have to have a spy, but I would like even faster guy than him. I mean, do we have a.
Speaker 3: dB Michael Parsons.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, I'm serious.
Speaker 3: For a faster guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a couple Overshown can go. He can bolder and in this guy will make him look slow. But he Overshown cannot do what I see most spies do. Don't get in the wash. Well, they'll ease up there, they'll see a gap and the first thing a linebacker thinks is fill that gap. Well you're not. You don't fill that gap. Stay back and keep your eyes on this dude, because when he break out of one of these scenes, you gotta be there. And if you come into a hole and commit and something over to the right, he gone. So the spy gotta be real patient.
Speaker 3: Well, and the thing with Overshown, he's played two NFL games. I mean, he doesn't have.
Speaker 4: The experience, but but who's got the size here in speed?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Okay, here's the other thing which we talked about yesterday. People were asking how come overshow wasn't on the field against New Orleans. Well, you're gonna run into the same thing against Baltimore, which has a three hundred pound full back named Patrick Ricard who will be on the field for as much as uh Taysom Taysom Hill lined up at fullback, and they like they like two tight ends with Mark Andrews and Isaiah likely to go along with them. And so that will dictate if the Cowboys are going to keep the same UH personnel on defense that they had in the New Orleans game, which is Overshown's on the field in the nickel. He's a sub linebacker in the nickel package. Then Lea Foul and Damon Clark are on the field with three linebackers. When they go two tight ends in a fullback to overshow's not even on the field in that package?
Speaker 4: And oh, by the way, just so we don't miss this part, can I throw my hands up?
Speaker 3: Can I throw my hands up and surrender?
Speaker 2: I'd say what you got to say?
Speaker 4: I'm you're talking about after two weeks?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 2: No, now the more. How many times did New Orleans run on us?
Speaker 3: Was it thirty or forty times?
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm throwing my hands up, y'all listen to me.
Speaker 4: Thirty nine?
Speaker 2: No, listen to me. This is the God heaven truth. Listen to me. It would not have mattered if Overshown was in the game. You could have went and got Jack Lambert. You could have win and got Dick Busks. You could have win and got Joe Schmidt, and you could have went and got Lawrence Taylor. Those are one of them. Those are three great linebackers. If your defensive line does not do their job, I don't care who your linebackers. I keep asking people what is overshown gonna do when a tackle is sitting in your lap. What is he gonna do?
Speaker 3: Exactly?
Speaker 2: The coaches know what they're doing. We just need for our front defenders to do their job.
Speaker 3: Which gets back to that screen pass to Camara. What's Kendrick's gonna do when you've got an offensive guard who's between him and Kamara? Yes, when when Lawrence makes a swim move inside and it leaves a lane wide open for the screen pass for Kamara because you're lea foul rushed to the outside, it's just wide open. It's now one on one. You got an offensive guard against Kendricks. The whole idea is to keep the offensive lineman off the linebackers. Right.
Speaker 2: It's amazing, And it gets.
Speaker 3: Back to Lamar Jackson at the spy business. What Kansas City did against him in the in the conference championship game last year. Was they contained him. Yes, they're not pinning their ears back and going after him.
Speaker 4: Well, my point was going to be, yes, we're talking about running passing. After two games, they've got the number one offense in the league, Baltimore.
Speaker 2: Yes, they do.
Speaker 4: They've scored, They've gained more yards than any other team.
Speaker 2: It's just they eight. Number one is scory that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the number thirty two in defense. Yeah, mass defense.
Speaker 2: You said it's so perfect. All you have to do when he get ready to pass is go three steps up the field a defensive lineman, defense man, y'all go four steps. You form the umbrella overshown whoever you want standing back there. He drops back four or five yards, give itself a cushion between this defensive line. So when he takes off, you always have an angle on him. But if you go up into that offensive line, you lose all angles with this guy's speed. Excuse me for stepping back, Chris, I know you're gonna get on me. I know you're gonna get on it. Yeah, yeah, So but you get what I'm saying. You can't lose the angle on this kid. This kid is. This kid is what almost twenty eight, twenty nine is still he can run a four three four two forty. So we gotta be disciplined. We gotta make this kid throw and beat us. Don't let that big old mountain of a man, Henry get involved.
Speaker 4: See this, this looks misleading. They got him listened as six two two oh five.
Speaker 2: Who is that?
Speaker 4: Lamar Jackson?
Speaker 2: What do you about? One ninety he's.
Speaker 4: Bigger than that you think when he starts running, he looks bigger.
Speaker 2: Uh uh. He a little something. He a little thing man. He's just long and lean and wiry. Yeah, there's no answers when you get fourteen or more points behind.
Speaker 3: He at the combine, Mickey, he measured six two and a quarter two hundred and sixteen pounds.
Speaker 4: Slim down so he don't looks when he's got the ball in his hands running full speed. Can tell you that.
Speaker 3: And he is twenty seven years old. Still very young, young, yes.
Speaker 2: Very young. All right.
Speaker 3: We continue with more mix shots in just a moment.
Speaker 9: Star Sports Tours is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders, and Cowboy legends. You want to stay at a team hotel, attend the best tail gay party in Texas, tour the Star and talk ex'es and o's with me Everson Wallas. With Star Sports Tours, you can visit cowboystravel dot com to book your travel package today.
Speaker 5: Hey Cowboy fans, I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys. But lately I've been learning a new game. Crypto sound confusing, don't worry. Even US pros were rookies and crypto once. That's why I trust blockchain dot Com. They make crypto easy, no confusing jar and just the tools to help.
Speaker 2: You wins it slides for the first down.
Speaker 5: Invest like your icons where everyone is a Rican crypto with blockchain dot Com perfect throw.
Speaker 3: My goodness, wow did he ever thread the needle?
Speaker 5: Visit blockchain dot Com slash Cowboys to get started.
Speaker 2: Miller Lite is brewed with great taste and only great tape.
Speaker 3: The Miller Brewing Company would like to issue a correction.
Speaker 4: Miller Light is brewed to be less feeling.
Speaker 3: What are you doing here?
Speaker 1: Miller Lite tastes great.
Speaker 4: Look, I'm just reading the script. It says less fillings.
Speaker 3: That's not what my script says. Hell mindset.
Speaker 7: We'd like to apologize for the previous announcers. Miller Lights in fact less filling and taste great. I'm vishine legal guy, Celebrate responsibly.
Speaker 8: Milwaukee, Wisconsin Beer Amty six thousands people into Graham's Carvers for twelve ounces, fewer cowsand cars than premium regular beer.
Speaker 6: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 4: Tom Shots, step up your game day look with the twenty twenty four Dallas Cowboys Nike zoom Pegas's running shoes. Discover the ultimate comfort with its responsive cushioning and breatheable mesh. Visit pro Shop near you, or log on to Shot dot Dallascowboys dot com, a fanatics experience to score yours today.
Speaker 3: All right, very good? Okay, final five or ten minutes here of mixed shots and we barely have dived into Mickey's legal pad. What do you got interesting on there?
Speaker 4: So I ran across this some Ravens site on the line that they the online Okay, you remember Stratamatical when we were growing up, They were still in business.
Speaker 3: Now, did you have a strata matic, Nate?
Speaker 4: What is that? It was a football game?
Speaker 2: Oh, okay, I remember, I remember that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So they did Stratamatic did a stimulation.
Speaker 3: On I guess simulation, simulation.
Speaker 4: What did I say, stimulation?
Speaker 2: Wow, you've been hanging on our show.
Speaker 4: They stimulated a simulation on every game. Uh, the Ravens would play before they played it, right, Okay, And the simulations for the first two games Baltimore was going to be oh and two.
Speaker 3: Wow about the third game one and two?
Speaker 4: But they had they had them losing to the Chiefs twenty four, twenty seven to twenty four. They lost twenty seven to twenty and then they had them losing to the Raiders and I think they even got the score right twenty six twenty three. Just one of the things I ran across.
Speaker 3: So does anybody ever go back and check how they do on those how the oddsmakers do on those picks? You have a running record of, oh like from a just wins and losses, whether those whether the bet was one or not, but wins and losses, whether they got it right or not.
Speaker 2: I've never wanted to do the bet and things, especially coming into the league. You know they had it big on the wall. If you get caught Gamba, you out of the league. So and now we have to do all this stuff. So I don't even think of it.
Speaker 3: I don't either. I never never have anything.
Speaker 2: It would be nice to know just that for entertainment purposes, but they ain't worth losing a job.
Speaker 4: I've seen. I've seen media people adding on games and then covering it's the most miserable day of their lives.
Speaker 3: That's when they when you're not there's not supposed to be any cheering in the press box, that's when you get yelling in the press box.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 3: The thing fellas away anyway.
Speaker 4: That was one of the things I had.
Speaker 2: Do you find anything about desperation in online? Because I've never since I played when we were desperate almost every game, when when we was going through a bad season. Uh, when going over there talking to the guys, have y'all how the guys taking this are they locked.
Speaker 4: In, don't want to talk to nobody or they will find out today?
Speaker 3: Because what do you anticipate.
Speaker 2: I ain't saying gloom and doom, but intense intensity. It should be a feeling locker room like man, we ain't got time to play.
Speaker 3: Okay, tell us what it was would have been, like, well, what it was like when you started old Let's say.
Speaker 2: Oh, you're talking about with being out? It was a man. First of all, thank you for mister Jones for not firing all of us for talking about you. But we like we knew we were good, and we knew that if we had Emmitt at least one of those games would have been different. And so we we we we was blaming upper management, and we was open about it. You know, like, what are what not calling mister Jones name but saying, wow, what are they gonna do? You know? These other guys that these other running backs are just guys?
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: So but each week we we went in probably much like these Ravens, saying we're a better team than this. We are a much better team than this. We approven it year after year, and I'm saying that cowboys can congrat they've been whether they've lost the second game before and run off eight or nine good victories. So, you know, do we have enough of guys in here to remember that last year we were in the same predicament? So how do you feel? I mean, so when you go over there and you can answer to Everson tomorrow tomorrow, maybe what what is it like over there? I don't go over there messing with players because they don't need. They got enough bunch of old heads walking around there trying to stick their chests out about what they've done. I believe let every every generation build their own hopes. But man, we gotta we gotta have that fitter. Do you go over there, Bill?
Speaker 3: I I don't go to the locker room very often.
Speaker 2: Mick, you go every day, right I do? Man, give them, give them tomorrow, Give the fans write it down or something. Give the fans of what you feel is happening over there, you know, not gloom and doom. I know it's not gonna be that. They know they got fifteen more games. I saw them as to Stephen Jones, and I, hey, hey, sir, hey come here, you know you have fifteen more games. Let these guys know they have fifteen more games. You know, don't matter how if it was a baseball season, we'll be just throwing against the wall and winning care one hundred and sixty two games.
Speaker 3: Is a career sixty two?
Speaker 2: Okay? We got to be fifted in that who cares.
Speaker 3: So basically what the football equivalent is, if you wanted to put it in baseball terms of intity, that I mean, you got a seventeen game season, So through two games in a baseball season, you've played twenty games. Now yeah, okay, yeah, basically that's right. So and if you're ten and ten, the stat you got a five hunter record through twenty games baseball.
Speaker 4: The stat that the Ravens are facing. Since twenty twenty thirty two teams has started the season oh to two. Only two of them made it to the playoffs, right, the twenty twenty three Texans and the twenty twenty two Bengals.
Speaker 2: Right, So that Beingles had who at quarterback?
Speaker 4: Joe Burrow, somebody named Joe Burrow.
Speaker 2: That's a beast. That's a beast.
Speaker 3: And Cincinnati's been They've been starting zero two every year. It seems like they're rowing to again this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And the Cowboys in forty two games if we count too this year, which I don't think we should count, they've only once lost back to back games and they did it last one more time. So twenty twenty two season, twenty twenty three season, and six games in twenty twenty one, so forty games counting the two this year. They've only lost back to back games once and it was last year Buffalo Miami. Right, okay, Buffalo Miami. So they've recovered from losses with Mike McCarthy being here.
Speaker 3: And that was in December, so that was late in the season and then.
Speaker 4: The time before would have been twenty twenty one.
Speaker 3: So to answer your question, they're not panicked over there and they feel like that they haven't they Here's what I anticipate. That's what I anticipated. All's good, we got this, we got this. It would be the attitude. We got this.
Speaker 4: In twenty twenty one, they lost back to back games to Kansas City and then Vegas in overtime. So they've responded. Now, this is a different team and so somewhat younger team, right, you got a lot of young guys that you're trying to integrate into this system.
Speaker 3: All right, let me ask you this how Troy's leadership Okay, and you knew how Troy was, Okay, how did that affect the rest of it? Like, what was Troy like after an oh and to start that season, and how does that trickle down to the rest.
Speaker 2: Troy did not have to say a word. He showed it by he came to work very professional. Troy has always been direct focused. When he hit those stores. He had enough guys on defense. Our defense was very very vocal, you know, starting with Charles Hayley.
Speaker 3: Right, so they Yes, but Troy got his message across, notup by having to say anything, but just just put his nose to the grindstone. And yeah, and you saw his attitude. Yes that okay, Yeah, get to work.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he just stared you down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what.
Speaker 4: You know what twice in ninety three you lost back to back games. Yeah, if you remember, after the first two, you ended up losing at Atlanta and then Miami. And that's when Jimmy kind of got out the strapped and said we got to win. It was hurt in Atlanta, right, Yes, or Emmett was one of the two, and Jimmy said, you got to win five straight to finish the season, to get home filled advantage and to win the division. And he didn't win the division until overtime against the Giants.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The thing is, and that's what I'm saying, what are the when the coach when you know the coach has put you in position to win. Like Parson said, it wasn't the coach. He said this, it was us as players. Eleven guys even included himself. Now I'm asking the question, I know who Zim is and what his defense is. I've seen Mike McCarthy dial it up right. He dialed it up right a few more than a few times. What are the players going to see?
Speaker 3: That's a great example of coming back off of back to back losses and waiting. It's legend. Now let me just think of Emmett in that Giants get and the rest of the team too. It's legend what that team did in overcoming adversity. And now we're gonna find out what this team is like.
Speaker 4: You know, I had a former player once tell me, as hard as Jimmy had to coach you those last five games and then to win three more in the playoffs, that he would have had trouble coming back the next year coaching you even harder. Yeah, because he probably got as much out of you as he.
Speaker 2: He He got it all, man. But I'm gonna tell you what, man. Thank you, Michael Irvy, Troy Egman, thank you, Charles Haley, Tony Tobert. Thank you, Darren Woodson, thank you. Our linebackers. At that time, we had some dogs that you you was not gonna walk out on that field after they done gave us that ball over across the fifty. I'm gonna walk off the field with less than seven points because if we walked out, we didn't have to look at Jimmy. It was our defense gonna be like, you mean to tell me we gave y'all the ball on the fifty. Y'all can't go forty nine yards, you know. So it's players now, and that's who I'm going with. Players gonna have to hold themselves accountable. The coaches ain't gonna always coaches, ain't they gonna dial it up?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: Executed?
Speaker 3: Executed the linebacker Kenny Norton, Yes, sir, you're talking.
Speaker 2: About somebody was smart and underrated. I mean, Ken Norton, what no matter. I'm talking about our offense. You don't study your own offense. We were being practiced inside run. We were being practiced regular offense. Power power, right, powerpower, left, look out for the draw.
Speaker 3: Look.
Speaker 2: I'm like, Ken hold On, bro be your own team. Yeah, y'all, I'm studying y'all and I'm gonna know who y'all are. Look at Georgie, look at you, how he's doing this. I look out for this. Lookout Mike Irving and tight looking at here, gonna run the slant, I'm like.
Speaker 3: And then the next year he's playing for San Francisco.
Speaker 4: You remember he finished that season playing with a torn bice up.
Speaker 2: Yes, I remember, man.
Speaker 4: They would tape roll it down and tape it up. Yeah, stretch it out. They stretch it out and wrap it.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you, these guys were unique. They were unique, and I'm wondering, do they have any unique guys over there?
Speaker 4: We're about to find about to find out.
Speaker 3: All right, Nate, Thanks joining ever since. We'll be back tomorrow, I think, and we'll chat at you again tomorrow on Mix Shots Old Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.