Speaker 1: Of the Law and Order franchises. SVU is considered especially watchable.
Speaker 2: We are the amateur detectives who kind of investigate the vicious felonies.
Speaker 3: These episodes are based.
Speaker 4: On these are our stories done done.
Speaker 3: Yay, that's messed up. An sv podcast.
Speaker 1: I'm Liza Traeger and I'm Kara Klink and it's sv recaps, true crime, deep dives, interviews, chats, the whole thing, and.
Speaker 2: We're the time machine. And yesterday the NIXT won the first game, so oh that's where we're damn yeah. And it was I had spots and stuff and I was running around, so I only caught bits and pieces, but I got to watch like the last like ten minutes of the fourth quarter, and there's nothing better than fourth quarter basketball, like anything can happen. And it was such a close game and it was electric. And then I think it was the spurs and experience in young age that led to them falling apart by the end.
Speaker 3: They couldn't keep it together. But that's just my you know, is.
Speaker 1: This like they play and each other, they do home and away, right, yeah.
Speaker 2: Then will be spurs and then so this is what I keep thinking about because Mauricia we'll see.
Speaker 3: Well by this you'll know.
Speaker 2: But like Marishka, you know, she's big Nicks and Jalen Brunson hugs her every game she's there, and Ben Stiller and all the other fans are very jealous. But she's on Broadway. What's gonna happen? But the next game is Monday, so that means she's off of Broadway. So I do wonder if Marishka on her night off is going to go to the.
Speaker 3: Next game or not.
Speaker 1: I think for I know, I know, I know, but well, I don't know. She can't scream, That's what I mean. Well, she's not singing, but yeah, like that's what I mean. Like it's like such a tough schedule, but she's when I you see, I bet he was actually equal to Broadway. When I went to see Kumail and Jinks on Oh Mary, they were both wearing buttons that said I'm on vocal rest because just I think even doing that much if I don't know, I don't know the play, I don't know if she yells at all, or I think Jinks.
Speaker 2: Didn't want to talk to everyone in the line waiting to see her. I think that's the button. I think that's why. Well, I think that's why she was wearing the button.
Speaker 1: Kumail was truly losing his voice and was like, Jinx is the one that told me about the button.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because when I got you know, I saw Jinks and the Pirates of Peasants and she had the button.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I mean, but the amount of people meet Jinx was insane.
Speaker 2: I would say, like at least fifty people waited at stage door and we hung out in her green room for like a good twenty minutes before she even went to I mean, people would wait that long. But I'm just saying tons of people were there. Yeah, yeah, yeah, ready for her. She's the best.
Speaker 1: I'm getting the reviews from some of our listeners about every brilliant thing. Okay, most of them are saying that she's great and it's great. I mean one person was like I loved seeing her, but like they didn't.
Speaker 3: I know, I think a lot. I don't know. I think some people have a hard time seeing her outside of like Benson, I am gonna go.
Speaker 2: You know, I jumped the gun and bought the Mateo Chicago tickets, but I got a schedule of Benson.
Speaker 3: Are you going to see Matteo like.
Speaker 1: Opening night, you're like a little bit in oh, well, opening night, but I'll go again because like people started texting me immediately being like we gotta go, we gotta go, and it's like, honey, I bought tickets before it was announced, obviously, but I will probably go a few times. And I learned that because I saw Bette Midler previews for Hello Dolly, and then I went towards the end and it was like fully different performances, really one hundred percent. Yeah, so I I would, you know, it's a four week run, so I would definitely go at least twice.
Speaker 3: But I gotta get my Maurshia in for sure. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: But the city was like electric. Everyone had cool outfits everyone's and knick scares. Even places like Union Hall had the projector down like places that don't aren't sports places. My coffee shop I saw this morning the TV was covered and I go, did you guys watch the next last night? And like every yeah, it's like every you know, and everyone at the counter started chatting.
Speaker 3: It's just such a fun moment to be a part of.
Speaker 1: That because yeah, they because they don't get in that often, like when it's the Yankees. I feel like people care, but it's like it happens all the time, right, Like the Knicks.
Speaker 3: Well, Casey, we're talking about this. I saw ven before you hopped on.
Speaker 2: I saw vendiagram online and it was like, you know, Giants, Jets, Yankees sets, all of those teams of the hockey teams, all of them come together for the Knicks. So it's like you get all the fandom's hardcore psychotic energy for this team that are usually splintered off between the others.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I would say Marishka is the most MVP star fan there that they like that that they pay attend. I see the Marishka Jalen coverage a lot. Well it might be your algorithm as well, but it's it's bent. But this happens to you all the time. I'm like, wow, everyone's talking about it. I'm like I follow this.
Speaker 3: No one is.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 2: I would say like Spike Lee is probably the most like long time right, like he's she's like forty to be a big one. Now he's la Oh, he's la.
Speaker 1: He's the like stories the part of me I just think of basketball people. But yeah, still but still her at an interview where like they're all jealous of Marishka because they they want to hug, like the players love Marishka. Yeah, so she gets there, she has a night off.
Speaker 3: I think she's got to be there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's because I do think she has eighty grand I think they love Tracy Moore, but she's the only one that gets the hugs.
Speaker 3: Yeah. But there's an old.
Speaker 2: Interview where, like with Shack, they were like, have you ever been like starting he said halle Berry. He was trying to impress halle Berry, like he was like, give me the ball, you know, like they're trying.
Speaker 3: To pick people up. They're fucking athletes.
Speaker 2: But I had I did something I've never done before yesterday on stage. So I'm at New York Comedy Cup and I've done I've been doing this since two thousand and nine, like whatever. But about halfway through my set, I went, you know what, guys, this isn't worth my time and I don't want to make any of you laugh. I'm leaving. And I was like, can you grab the host. I'm not finishing my time. I don't have to get paid. I'm like, I don't like any of.
Speaker 3: You, bye, And so I just left.
Speaker 2: I left and then the host all the young comedians were stressed, but it was one big group. And then they left on the way out there like I've never seen such weak comedia. Like they were like one guy touched me. I was like, get the fuck off me, Like I.
Speaker 1: This is this New York comedy club still the one that's like on twenty third and second, but it's on twenty fourth.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah yeah, so what was up? What was up?
Speaker 2: They just said no respect, like, and I knew they weren't going to be good. I'm also like, I don't care if there's four people because then my next show is nine people. They think like I nothing, I've been threatening out to people numbers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like I can have fun. I could figure it out.
Speaker 2: But it's like they just they didn't like the bits, they didn't like the crowd or I couldn't get things going. And then they also were rude. So one girl goes, why don't you just start singing Pink Pony Club? That might help, Like that's psychotic to me. And then one person said they're from Phoenix, and someone's like, I'm from Phoenix, and then they started talking about Phoenix and then one young guy was like, is that a bitcoin tattoo and start talking about bitcoin in the day, and.
Speaker 3: I go, you know what, fuck all of you.
Speaker 2: I'm like more talented than any of this, and I don't need this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just like left, my God.
Speaker 2: So this big drunk group left that everyone hated, and then they kept whispering and talking, and then I told one woman, I'm like, you're a fucking horrible person, and someone's like, why would you say that. I'm like, well, there's clearly a woman bombing on stage, and you guys keep interrupting me and telling me to carry Okay, I don't know. Again, not the worst because when everyone's like what happened? What happened? I go, truly not nothing that much crazy, Like I just it wasn't worth my energy.
Speaker 3: I couldn't do it. I didn't want to do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So then everyone leaves, But then I felt bad, so I obviously overtipped the server, like I don't want to fuck everyone else over than the other comics, like people weren't there. But then that big group left and the vibes changed and the next person was having a great set. So then they're like, well, you just go back up. So I did go back up and I had fun.
Speaker 3: I had time.
Speaker 2: So then I had like a great time and it was fine that they were dry, like the vibes were better. And then I had another set at the other New York comedy club location on East fourth Street and had like the time of my life, and so then it was a great comedy night. But yeah, I just left and I apologize to the manager. I was like, you guys don't have to pay me, give it to the servers, like whatever. And then I'm like, never mind.
Speaker 3: I went back up now, I'll take my money now.
Speaker 2: But wow, I wasn't having it. And then when they were interrupting being crazy, I was like fine. And then the fourth Street location, the vibes were just so good and it was less than nine people.
Speaker 1: It was three this couple, this couple. Yeah, like eight people. Yeah, it doesn't matter. It's like it's totally yeah. Sometimes at my show the huge crowds are sucking the small crowds of the bus.
Speaker 2: But like, but there's always that, because this happened in Sacramento once, where this guy's energy in front was so menacing. He was kind of like the classic husband who didn't want to be there, but I did I don't want to perform for you, so I said, you need to leave. I'm like, you're in the front, like I don't need your energy ruining my vibes. And then everyone was like, what did you do?
Speaker 3: What did you do?
Speaker 2: I go, nothing, this is what I do for fun, so like you're going to ruin it, Like I don't need this. I truly don't need this. But the younger like it did cause a commotion. I would say, but I didn't regret it in my soul. I'm like, I don't regret it. I don't know what to tell you, but I have never done it. So kind of wild.
Speaker 3: There's still first in comedy after all these years.
Speaker 2: But then there's like a cutie couple. They seemed so young. I couldn't believe they were together for five years. But I think they were sauced because then one of the girls went, I put a finger in his butt and he likes it. And then I was like, okay, I reveal nabe and then he turned red. It was like really cute.
Speaker 3: It was fun gee Jesus, oh my god.
Speaker 2: And then at the second show I had three I did Kurt Broneler's show. You know, I saw him and Lauren, but one girl had all these orange sower patch kids left.
Speaker 3: I go, you don't like orange, She goes no, I go, I'll take them.
Speaker 2: So then I also got orange shower patch kids.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: What a night, What a night, What a night? Oh my gosh. Wait.
Speaker 1: So I know you're not like watching a ton of TV, but I have simultaneously been making my way through the last season of Hacks.
Speaker 3: But also I finished the Comeback.
Speaker 1: Oh nice, the comeback was really disappointed in the third season. I was really really bummed because I fucking love the first two seasons, but this the third season is just like, it's just not that funny. And they're also tackling AI, which I think is awesome, like because I'm what I'm gonna say, Like I was gonna say, they're Then Hacks did an episode about AI that I think they nailed, and so they did this whole season about AI with Valerie, and I was like, this is great, what a great idea. And then it's just like, wasn't funny at all And you're arguing in this episode. I mean, in this season, your argument is that TV has to be written by humans or it won't be good and then this season of TV is not good. That's like that sucks, Like, you know, I was talking about it with our friend Allison and she was like, yeah, like I feel like it's like their legacy is that if that's the final season, like they don't ever do another one.
Speaker 3: That's it just was they.
Speaker 1: Had They had John Early, I had like all these funny people, and they just like weren't putting them to work.
Speaker 3: It was crazy.
Speaker 1: But Hacks had a great fucking episode about it that was like more specific also to stand up and you know, like you do you watch Hacks, right, so.
Speaker 3: You're gonna do I have it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm gonna definitely watch this last season. You know, I'm in an in between moment with my relationship with television. But I watched one clip of like Hannah's character going off about AI where it's like, you don't even give us a choice because you know we would say no. So stop saying it's inevitable when you're making money and forcing it and we can't even say no to it.
Speaker 3: That's what that was. I love that.
Speaker 2: Oh well, when I fought the men at the coffee shop, that's what I said to them. I'm like, but you're there's no choice, yeah, because they know we don't want it.
Speaker 3: She calls it forced inevitability.
Speaker 1: Yes, And I think that's exactly what, like the way that they're like, it's here, get on the train, fuck off, Like nobody wants to get on the goddamn train. I mean maybe a few people do, but like not everybody.
Speaker 2: And keep I mean, I call the men, but it's like, yes, losers, losers, that's who wants it.
Speaker 3: Losers, losers, nerds. People who don't like that is rude.
Speaker 2: Like I did talk to one person who's like but for Adam, and it's like, okay, but it's not worth all of the It's not worth like people having brown water. Yeah, Like it's just I don't and like it's just not worth yeah, and like getting sick.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: They basically, you know, like the episode is called quick Scribble, which is the name of the app that wants Debra, and like they want her to basically use her comedy to make people's like bridesmaid speeches and eulogies and stuff like funnier with Ai or whatever. And she's kind of like down for it, and even Hannah like can't convince her and it's not until she like has a meeting with the guy and it's Alex Moffatt from the guy who used to play the guy who just bought a boat on SNL. Like he just plays that douchey vibe. He like is doing the final like moments of the sale with her, and he basically is just like telling her, yeah, like everyone's going to be on this, like your art is She she basically has to convince him like this is art and like the part of the process of making art is the journey to making it. The point of art is not to make it easily, you know. And that's when she realizes and so it's like, really good. I recommend I recommend the whole series. But I loved this episode. Our friend Joe Mandy wrote on it. I texted him and was like, this was a really good episode.
Speaker 2: I ran into someone who's like in a room right now with Joe Mandy and someone else.
Speaker 3: Cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's he's really worked on like every funny show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's a great, great writer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's really it's it's like I don't even know how to describe his vibe because he's not a twerp, but like it's just like it's this like Nana Nana, you know, like he is he a Bucks fan?
Speaker 3: I think he's a Bucks or Timberwolves.
Speaker 1: I don't remember Timberwolves Minnesota, and I remember he's a big NBA Midwest person, but I forgot the team. But Casey, have you listened to his albums because he did one album from me that he makes like a bunch of jokes about Minnesota and he and Minneapolis and stuff.
Speaker 5: I think.
Speaker 3: And he's I think his stand up is really really funny too. Oh yeah, No, I love Joe Mandy. He's fantastic.
Speaker 2: We were just talking about what would you describe him? What's the better word than twerp?
Speaker 1: He is?
Speaker 3: I would say he is Well, he's like one of the original, true original troll real.
Speaker 1: On Twitter, he had like he was like he did this whole thing where he was really obsessed with Lacroix and he'd be like Lacroix boys, like and this was before everybody was drinking Lacroix, and he would like constantly he got he bought a million followers too. He was like the first person to buy a million followers, and he would like proudly be like I bought a million followers, and yeah, he's just but he's like a He's not like a shitty trolls.
Speaker 2: He loves his pets. He's like, I'm obsessed.
Speaker 6: He's like an Internet professor because he'll post from the Internet where I'm like, where are you finding these things?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Because truly am like disturbed by the things he like does discovers in his research on the Internet.
Speaker 3: Like I feel that way about John Hill too.
Speaker 1: Sometimes John Hill will post a carousel and I'll just write him and go, what the fuck is this stuff?
Speaker 3: Like where do you find this? Like, oh my god?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but but Joe is Yeah, we were just talking. I was just talking about one of his bits last night at my show because I was talking about Sue Plantation with someone because there's used to be a place in LA called.
Speaker 2: Soup, which in the Midwest where I'm from is called sweet Tomato. So there are ways to have a better name. Yes, But have I been to the soup plantation that recently closed in La.
Speaker 3: I've been there. I saw weird out there. Dude.
Speaker 1: I have to say, I like this is my subway take bring back restaurants that just offer ten kinds of soup. I love soup places, and they're going away, and I understand that the overhead is probably not worth the sales.
Speaker 2: If you're just sup Plantation at everything, I thought you were gonna take it, like, give.
Speaker 3: Me a buffet of every I want. Salad.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, no, no, that's soup. Plantation had salad, pizza, They had a lot of stuff. I just liked any place that offered more than just like we have our two soups of the day.
Speaker 2: I just like a lot of varieties of soups. You got to know that Little Poland next timmer in town. I can go to Little Poland. Okay, I don't know about what their ve veg.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 3: I will say.
Speaker 1: One of my meal kid services has been I've been getting this parogi soup that I've been making.
Speaker 3: I'm into Parogi's now. I really love.
Speaker 2: It's actually like a food made for you. I mean, like a potato filled noodle.
Speaker 1: I think I had a bad parogi like the first time once and was like I don't like this, And now I'm like, I think I just got a bad one, so I gotta get back. I gotta get back at a potato ravioli. I mean, come on, I love it some grilled onions.
Speaker 2: I mean, because I know The Good Place was obviously a huge success and like lasted forever. But I was on the ground floor, like I watched from episode like I loved it, and I remember that's when I met Joe Mandy and I think, and you know, everyone likes to be compl and I just was asking such specific crazy questions like knew everything, and I just.
Speaker 3: It was I was performing.
Speaker 2: This was twenty six or January twenty seventeen, because Trump had just taken office night a weekend in DC. I remember that, Yeah, because then my opener, who was an old friend of mine, started saying the most crazy racist stuff ever. And that's when our friendship ended. Oh shit, yeah, we like shared a hotel. He was like being insane, and yeah, it's like a weekend, I remember, Damn. So I was talking to a friend whose younger sister like came to visit and was like, oh my god, I want to go to my favorite restaurant I was there last time, Like could we please go to my favorite restaurant in New York And he was like yeah, of course. You know he's always planning, and he's like, Okay, we'll go wherever, and it was in Chelsea Market and he's like, you don't remember the name. She goes, I don't remember the name. He's like, but if I take you to Chelsea Market, you'll find it. She goes, yeah, I'll be able to find it. And it was like Hurth and Harty. Oh my god, you wanted to kill her. I used to go to Heurth and Hardy. Sure, but you would never visit Hardy yeah, and be like, this is my favorite restaurant.
Speaker 3: Never.
Speaker 1: But it was a place that was like multiple soups, you know, I think, honestly, we've talked about it on the podcast already. Cozy. I miss Cozy's tomato soup. I loved Cozy.
Speaker 3: I like the bread.
Speaker 2: I like the bread to be salty, gorgeous, bread, so good. I would get the Hummus veggie at Cozy. I would bring it into the movies because it was by that the Regal or AMC and Union Square. Oh, because I remember I took Megan to see Tusk and she was really upset, but we had Cozy sandwiches with us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you gotta follow up Tusk with a cozy sand No, we brought it in. We were like eating her. Oh you brought it in.
Speaker 1: I mean, I just hearing about Tusk, I'm like terrified, just like when people describe it. I'm like, oh, like, oh my god, you know, I can't believe you brought that friend for us.
Speaker 3: She was so mad. Jesus, she's so mad. You're gonna love it. I'm just the Justin Long. I don't know why. I don't know, but it was like we went at like ten o'clock, we.
Speaker 2: Got with our cozy sandwiches, and when we left and she was livid.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Justin Long like doesn't have the like for some reason.
Speaker 1: Like when he first came on the scene, I wouldn't have like assumed he was the kind of guy that has made the choices that he's made in his career. Like I think he's made cool choices. Oh, but I was always like, he's just like a guy that's gonna do like little rom coms and whatever. You know.
Speaker 3: Now he's always been horror, just long creepers.
Speaker 1: Yeah he's like, oh, well, I guess I don't watch those, So all I've seen him in is like but then he's like, now in the what's the guy's name, Zach, the guy made Zach.
Speaker 3: Yeah, now he's in all those and you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, okay, let's get started, right, that's your favorite slop.
Speaker 5: I mean.
Speaker 3: That'll be a postwart.
Speaker 2: Okay, listen listening to this, this horrific episode and at the end.
Speaker 1: Yeah about stay tuned if you want to hear Kara's favorite soup. Okay, uh. But as always, you guys, that's messed up. Live dot com has all of our links, to our merch to our promo codes, to Lisa's tour schedule, to our Patreon which is patreon dot com slash that's messed up. If you want to hear our recent review of Yesteryear, that's on there, and we have cool interviews past and present, so head over there and then yeah, let's get started.
Speaker 3: Okay, we are doing devastating story. I want to be like, yay.
Speaker 1: Another Yeah, this is gonna be devastating.
Speaker 2: God, I hate waring lights. Sometimes devastating story. April First Wow, April Fool's Day twenty fifteen, Season sixteen, episode eighteen, and it's like an America's Most Wanted style show called America's Worst Crimes. This guy seems a little cheesy, but I like the real guy from the real life what's his name Walsh? Yeah, so because his kid was murdered or disappeared out and I feel like that show did a lot of good work. Yeah, I don't know if there were errors like in this. Sorry to get ahead of myself. I am curious. Oh do you talk about the show?
Speaker 3: No, this is I don't. I don't actually John Walsh, John Walsh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm curious because to me, that show did like incredible work.
Speaker 3: But I wonder if I'm mistaken.
Speaker 2: Like I wonder if they al I wonder if it's like cops and it's like wait what But I remember like giant people getting captured because of him. So I liked the real show. But this this guy's a little cheesy. There's an American flag, there's an eagle. He's talking about college rape. We're at Hudson University obviously, Okay, so Sanctuary of the Mind they call Hudson. Now they're like, Sanctuary of the Mind is what they call themselves, but it's more of a sanctuary for rapists. Or did I say that? I honestly don't know if this was me or that the host of The America's I'm not sure who said what but whatever, there's a recreation, which you hate, right, I don't love recreations.
Speaker 1: They could be done well, like I'd like when we talked to Nancy Schwartzman, I thought the recreations in hers were done well, and in some of them they're just like really cheesy and they kind of take me.
Speaker 3: Out of it.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I do know, I don't I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know what I need anymore.
Speaker 2: I haven't watched like Forensic Files, and I haven't watched, but I liked this because the recreation is incredible. They're like, she's from the Midwest and so she's like in an ugly scarf and smile and what that means to them, you know, first time leaving her hometown. And then her dream turned into a nightmare. We go to old school interview vibes where it's like darkened on top of a person so you can't see who's talking. Hit an identity interview. She started chatting to a popular, you know guy boyfriend. Material thought he was one of the good guys. The host says, but you were wrong, and she and then she says yeah about everything, so you know, he was like a popular frack guy. The romantic moment turned terrifying. She suddenly there was four men. It was it's a gang rape. She was gang raped for hours. She said she could tell she wasn't even human to them. And we discussed this a lot, like it's not even it's not always even the action. It's like the core of how women are viewed by so many people, just like not human.
Speaker 3: So wildly.
Speaker 2: Benson is watching this programming as she's feeding baby Noah, which is insane.
Speaker 3: It's like your day off. It's your day off, babe, why are you watching this?
Speaker 2: Yes, but she's funny, and she turns to Know and goes, you're not going to Hudson University.
Speaker 1: And then I don't remember that joke from before, Like I don't remember that. It felt like the first time hearing that joke, and I was like, I like that the show can laugh about Hudson University being like an absolute hot bed of rape, Like it's it was good.
Speaker 3: I like that.
Speaker 1: That really gave me a nice giggle. Yeah, And then she uh so, then we go back. She would they you know, she went to the school she went and to report it. They of course are like, were you drinking?
Speaker 2: Are their witnesses So then back to Benson and Chief Dodds calls her and she she goes, I'm actually watching that right now. What are the chances? What are the chances? And guess who else is watching the program? The mayor's wife, and she wants something done about this, so Benson says, we're on it.
Speaker 3: She's also in like.
Speaker 2: A half up, half down hair situation, big swoop bangs. She looks very amazing. So we're back to the show and she's like, the nightmare just began. And then Benson breathes deep because she knows this is about to be like a hell of a case. And we go into the credits. So now we're watching the episode again, but at work, Rollin's Fen and Careasey are in there, and Creasey judges her and like, hasn't he been in this squad for a while, Like isn't he a lawyer already?
Speaker 3: Like what the fuck is his problem? But now this is funny.
Speaker 2: He goes, this is what you do on your Sundays off, and Benson goes, well, me and Gracie mansion. Apparently he's not annoying right now, I got ahead of myself again. But he's very annoying, and his hair looks like shit this episode too, like I wonder if something happened, Yeah, like it's gelled back like a vampire. He truly looks like really crazy. There's a newspaper boy hat later. It's a weird part, like I wonder if he went to a beauty school for a cheap haircut and something happened, Like it is such weird combing and gelling in this episode.
Speaker 3: And they're usually very good.
Speaker 2: And one PP is pissed because they got caught looking bad on national television. But how nothing was reported? So caris he already looked into it happened in December, and NYPD got no record of a complaint from the VIC or Hudson University. So I don't know why one Pp is even like ty you know panties on a twist.
Speaker 3: Oh they always do.
Speaker 1: They're like, how did you not like like into it that this was happening, Like why didn't you see into the crystal ball?
Speaker 3: They're always mad.
Speaker 2: So Benson goes, well, she said Hudson ignored her, which obviously we've been down this road before, and then Rollins goes, of course, and this show, but the show is for ratings, like, we don't even know if any of this happened, and Cariese's like and we're too busy, okay, And Benson has to remind them this isn't lm Z okay, it's a legit national news magazine. They interviewed her, she disclosed, and she and then she got a call from Dodds, who got called from the mayor. So like, we actually don't even have a choice, and we have to investigate. But they also don't even know who this girl is. But the show does. So Finn goes, great, you're gonna make me talk to reporters. So they're with the hosts of the show, and again he seems like a passion good guy and happy to be amplifying what's going on. Rollins goes, great, so you amplify and we investigate, so give us the information, and I gey, this is where I noticed Carisey's here, I wrote, weird, It's like, I don't get it, so but obviously this reporter can't give the name up and Rollins goes get over it, like no one cares, and stop leaning on the First Amendment. Isn't that what it's for to lean on it? Like I don't understand. He's like, no, no, I'm not falling on my journalistic sword. Like, the only way she agreed to talk to me is that I promised her anonymity, and so that's what I'm gonna do. She's scared to fucking death and Cariasey threatens to get a judge to force him to do it, and he folds immediately, well not fully. He goes, I'll kick the footage request upstairs, but that's not my call, and I'll connect you to the woman who shopped the story and maybe she can convince Jane to come talk to the NYPD. So we're at Hudson, Rollins and crease He are there to meet Professor Dylan and this actress we figured out from Breaking bats while episodes, so that's exciting.
Speaker 3: And she she wants to help.
Speaker 2: They bring up American Crime Show and she's like, yeah, it's important what they did to get the story out. But when Rollin's asked to get in touch with Jane, she's like, listen, she already tried this.
Speaker 3: She went to the school, it turned out terrible. She can't do it.
Speaker 2: Krees calls Jane a victim, and the professor interrupts him and goes survivor and he's like, I'll kill you in his eyes, like he hates her, but he goes, okay, the survivor and the university that's got nothing to do with us, and she goes listen, she's very fragile. I don't know if she can like even handle the legal system right now, and Rollins goes, lady, with all due respects, if you don't want to help, that's fine, but we'll go around you, so figure out what the fuck you want. It rubs her the wrong way and she says something about fellow centric language. I didn't want to rewind, I don't care, so Rollin's so Rollins then like plays good girl. Now she's like, listen, something terrible happen and we don't want these guys to get away with it. And she does hear that, but she just doesn't think Jane wants to hear, like deal with any of this.
Speaker 3: So we're back at the office.
Speaker 2: Rollinds things up and goes like, fuck, Jane is not going to cooperate and that she will come forward when and where she wants to, and Cristy is like, what the fuck does that mean? And Rollins goes, well, she's scared to make an official complaint, and cares again. I wrote hair insane in this episode all caps. So then you know, Carees confronts Rollins and they're at the coffee area, and you know, I love when they do normal office things. So they're at the coffee station and he's like, what the fuck you threw me under the bus with that professor, And Rollins goes, come on, bro, she's a rape advocate. She has a chip on her shoulder about mail detectives. I was just working my angles and he goes, rape advocate.
Speaker 3: I don't even get what that is.
Speaker 1: There's no burglary at burglary advocate or carjacking advocate.
Speaker 3: What the fuck? Like we know her? I don't. Is this that new? Am? I like mistaken that Cares is like too young.
Speaker 2: I guess this is pre law school, but like, how are you in SVU and the Good Guy and doing this?
Speaker 3: What season is this again? Sixteen?
Speaker 2: He's new, season new. I guess he's new. You're right, he's new. He's new. He's new.
Speaker 3: Fuck.
Speaker 2: So then Rolinds goes, well, when's the last time a carjacking victim got asked? Are you sure you didn't want to get your car to get stolen. So he says, okay, fine, I get it, but she's getting in our way. And then Ronalds has to be like, yeah, welcome to SVU, you fucking idiot, get used to it.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry I was so rude to Creasy. It is his.
Speaker 2: First season and they do have to make sure there's character growth. He grabs his jacket, pissed, and he's heading back to campus. He doesn't want to tell Benson that there's nothing there, like he's new and he wants to impress the sergeant. So Benson and Barbara are walking with cute little blue NYC coffee cups love them, and she is speaking a different language, Italian. Hello, she's in a beanie. She's like grat say.
Speaker 1: She's like, the investigation is just starting now, Okay, thank you bye, Like out of the conversation feels like it's like an opportunity to showcase Marishka's Italian and not necessarily super important to the plot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's always trying to squeeze that in. So they're they're chatting the case. You know, no one trusts cops. Barbara says, al subpoena everyone. Benson goes, there has to be an easier way. So she's like, listen, she talks to someone at the university, let's figure it out. Of course it's the president, President Roberts, and Benson goes, oh, we have history. So they're in the office and she and the old lady from what are definitely best friends, like they know each other. They're at the gallas. This is an old, mean woman. She's like under her eye eyeliner on, she's a mess. So basically her name, the actress is Kathleen Schalfant, and she's in the movie Old and she's in four episodes of SVU So to non She's in season two of an episode called non Compliance in the season eight Haystack, and then also from this season port and Stars Requiem as the same character.
Speaker 3: She is like always what.
Speaker 1: I think of when I think of the dean character at Hudson, Like we've met many different college deans of different ages and genders, and this woman, to me is like the quintessential SVU Hudson University dean, like just pointy features and like, you know, this is who I think of.
Speaker 3: Kathleen Chlfont.
Speaker 2: Yes, and then Benson sits sound slow and says that Jane said she was shut down by the new university.
Speaker 3: Who did she talk to?
Speaker 2: She goes, yeah, me, so she goes, I followed all protocols, and Benson goes, uh huh, Well, we're talking about a gang rape, so that's weird that it was never officially reported, and the press is like, hmm, first I heard of any gang was on that show. When she came to me, she only mentioned one person and she will not say who, and the President calls it regrettable drunken sex. And then Benson goes, oh, okay, four men holding her down sounds like that right, and the President goes again, she only mentioned one student.
Speaker 3: She was drunk.
Speaker 2: She went willingly there with her date, and when I asked her if it was consensual, she became defensive, which duh. But also I don't understand how entering a frat hoouse on a date is saying yes to rape like or to fucking like the things that people use as consent or yes is so strange to me. Yeah, it's like, yeah, you did want to go on a date, but you didn't want to fuck, Like, why is that not an option?
Speaker 3: It's just like so strange.
Speaker 2: So she said she talked to the date too, and he seemed credible and he's well regarded. Why is he more credible than the girl? Because she wants to fuck him? Like that's what it is, Like, why is he more credible? Yeah, we meet him later, he doesn't look more trustworthy than her.
Speaker 3: She gives me snow white.
Speaker 2: He gives me lacrosse rape, you know what I mean, Like he actually looks rape. Like when they and this show in particular, when they're like upstanding, Oh, they trustworthy, trustworthy, it's like we have such different ideas of what trustworthy is because like all these guys look so shady to me when we meet them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like basically they mistake like self assuredness for being in confidence for like trustworthiness.
Speaker 3: Like a guy probably goes in there.
Speaker 1: And goes, ma'am, here's what happened, And the girl probably comes in and goes and then like because she's traumatized.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean, And so.
Speaker 1: They're like, I don't know, he just seemed more critical credible because he was more articulate and direct about what happened. It's like, yeah, because it wasn't a life ruining event for him. You know, did you consider that that is such a good point because I just know how guys that. I mean, this guy has the most punched the fucking face.
Speaker 2: And then with like this is one of our earlier like one of our first few episodes. But the colleens stamcase of like, you know, if you're too traumatized and slow, you're not trusted. But if you keep it all together, then you're not sad enough.
Speaker 3: And did it actually and you made it all up? Yeah, So it's.
Speaker 2: Like even so if she went in there and was direct and like clear, that also wouldn't have flown right. You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, women can't get it right, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: So and then the president goes like, oh I was blind sided on national television, and Benson's over it and she's like I need to know the names.
Speaker 3: And that's when it hits.
Speaker 2: The president like, oh, she didn't even come to the police, so I'm not helping you.
Speaker 3: There's no criminal complaint. Fuck off.
Speaker 2: And then we hear like a protest happening outside and they're all chanting, we are all Jane, and she goes, excuse me, I have a firestorm on my hands. So then Careesy runs up to Benson in the freezing New York cold. He's wearing a newspaper boy hat that I mentioned earlier.
Speaker 3: It is they're trying to figure him out, and it's fine, and.
Speaker 2: I think, like eight more times I comment on it, I wrote rough episode for his head, like it is just a mess.
Speaker 3: So he's had no luck on campus.
Speaker 2: They walk to the protests and people are talking onto the mic explaining their journeys with sexual assault and how the school just said they would transfer her out of class to not be with her rapists, and then he graduated with honors, and the professor gets back on the mic and then she introduces Jane blue Eyes beanie full winterwear. The girl says, my name is Heather Manning and I'm the real Jane gasps depercussion music and she wants to tell her story. So now Jane and the professor Dylan, they show up at the precincts. Benson and Rollins are there to greet them, and the professor goes, we're not ready to press charges, and they respond we what. Benson goes, no, we want to talk to her without you, and then Benson and the professor of a side chin, she goes listen a ton of people in the community said that she that, like, you're the best, and if anyone's going to help, it's going to be you. But like Heather trusts me, and so I need to be there. So now the four of them are at the Circle would room Blind's table, and on December twelfth, she went on a date with an Alpha Zeta pie hockey player. Now we did not do this on purpose, but it is crazy that we are doing another hockey episode, considering you're constantly both trying to silence my heated Bible and then picking more and more hockey themed episodes.
Speaker 1: Hockey gets really big in the latter half of the catalog. I don't know what to say, we can't avoid it.
Speaker 2: And she's in a sky blue, very pretty sweater that matches her eyeshadow perfectly. So she says the date was with Brian Mackie. He's the team captain, and we meet him and it's like, there's no way that dork plays hockey. There's just no fucking way. Like they picked the least athletic looking people, like.
Speaker 3: I don't know, I guess I have a lot of issues. So that a great day.
Speaker 2: They went back to the house, and then he pulled her into his room and three guys were waiting in there.
Speaker 3: They jumped on her like a pack.
Speaker 2: She says that Brian was in charge the whole time, and that two people held her legs and two held her arms, and she doesn't know the other guy's names, but she's sure there was four men. And Benson's like, okay because the president said, you only mentioned one, and the professor is like, well, Roberts try to blame her for it. She didn't feel safe, and Benson goes, well, you're safe here and everyone needs to relax. So they took her and s raping her, sadomizing her. She starts to cry. They used an object, the handle of the hockey stick, and then they all high fived each other and left her there then and then cud it keeps going and then and then like with Porn Stars Requiem, it's very similar.
Speaker 3: That was a gang rape as well. Yeah, same season a few episodes ago, like.
Speaker 2: But okay, So she tries to leave and there's like she's running down the stairs of the frat house and there's guys all over throwing beer cans and cups at her and like telling her to go to church and apologize to her father for ruining his life, and her parents still don't know. They're fighting malaria in the Central African Republic.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I think they would fly home. I think they'd fly home.
Speaker 1: Yeah, your daughter is not to blame her, but I think she'd I think they'd fly home. For her appearance on America's Worst Crimes. Yeah, do you think probably who's watching her?
Speaker 3: No one text to them, No one text. Yeah.
Speaker 1: That is one of those things where they're like, we were over budget because of all the protest scenes, and we couldn't afford another like co star to be the the mom.
Speaker 2: She didn't go to the doctor either, And they but they need someone to corroborate. They keep saying that, and the professor tells how, But why don't the men have some Oh they all corroborate for each other.
Speaker 3: Duh.
Speaker 2: So anyways, the professor tells how, they're to show them the text. So then Brian did text her in an attempt to apologize, and it says, sorry about last night. My boys are out of control, but you deserve better than what they did. Benson goes great, any other physical evidence She goes, yeah, there's a guy that came up to me in class on Monday in front of everyone and gave me back my panties and I kept them, so that's good as well. And she wants to do this like after the rally. She wants to make sure like women know that they can do this too, So she names the other guys. They're all on the hockey team, and the detectives are on the scene. They have warrants full search. The guys are douches, obviously so confident. They're not taking any of this seriously. Like even if let's say you're innocent as fuck rich, everything's on your side, I don't know how they're like none of them are a little shaky that ten officers are searching, and like, I don't I don't get being this chill as there's a raid in your home.
Speaker 3: But if your.
Speaker 1: Daddy is like a lawyer, you're like whatever, whatever they find, it's fine, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think they're like those kind of guys.
Speaker 2: Brian is okay, Brian's not hot, sorry to the actor, but like, I don't get it, but he and then he does call it sex to creasy. Then there's a blonde guy, and he telling Rollins that she wanted Brian since freshman year and he threw her a bone. And Blondie was actually the big brother in the episode Savant from season nine and he's also in season twenty four Debatable. So then we hear someone going eight inches of it Brah and then Brian said she wanted to stay and snuggle but he did not, and then he calls it a walk and then there's like a walk of shame discussion, but even calling it that, it's like, why is it shameful to fuck you? And if you know what I mean, like why are you punishing the people that want to fuck you? I mean, she was attacked, but like let's like, let's say she just wanted Like why are you? Like it doesn't make sense. And we talked about this where it's like hard to get. It's like why do you want people that don't want to fuck you?
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The only time I.
Speaker 1: Really kind of feel like it's a walk of shame is when you're walking home in your Halloween costume. But I think it's because them like, wow, you really like you look crazy? But you're right, why is it ever called the walk of shame? It's like you're walking home from having sex.
Speaker 3: Like you want someone to fuck you?
Speaker 2: This is an assault, but like, let's you want someone to fuck you because it seems like they do it to all the women in their front house. Yeah, and it's like then you punish them, and then more women do it, and then your mean to that, like why not being I don't understand. I don't understand this kind of culture. It's really confusing to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they have a name, they call it the Gauntlet.
Speaker 2: Like they're constantly just like throwing shit at women. They called her a whore and I okay, And as they're explaining it to the cops, it's like not one of them goes, wait should.
Speaker 3: We not do that?
Speaker 1: They're like this is years and years of tradition, like we have to keep doing it.
Speaker 3: You don't get it.
Speaker 2: And then they're the ones that are credible to the president. It's so confusing, and then it's like do you want people not to fuck you?
Speaker 3: Then? Like should they not? Because then they are whores?
Speaker 2: And it's just like none of it fucking makes sense then, because then I mean I hate Amber Rose obviously, like anyone that's like votes for Trump is not a friend of mine, but I saw her on one podcast and she goes, all these dudes are like, they all have this idea of who they want to marry and it's this virginal mother type figure. And then she's like, they all cheat on these people. So it's like, what do you actually want because it's not the person you married.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yep, yeah, it's the Madonna and the horror complex, all of them for sure.
Speaker 2: And she's just like, you all want, like why are you marrying? It's like again to the top of this episode, it's like she wasn't even human, and it's like so much of the discussions of this is just like women are this like full afterthought to any of this. I'm gonna fuck this and then we're gonna wait and shame them. It's like fucking insane.
Speaker 7: Ugh.
Speaker 2: Then another guy in a backwards hack goes, can't take the heat, don't be a thought, and he is hot and his name is Connor. Connor's hot, and he does deny everything, and he said he would not take Mackie's scraps, which is true because Mackie's not hot. So I see everything now. So then the boys think they're the ones being fucked over. They're the victims, but no one cares. The search war includes DNA, so they're getting it. The guy that plays Connor is like a Broadway guy.
Speaker 3: Stop.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was recently in the Mulin Rouge and like he replaced Aaron dwit Or. I don't know how you say his same vite, like who's an SPU guy, but I just think he has so I was so shocked because I think he has such like lacrosse rapee face, like for these kind of episodes of TV. But then he's like was in the Alanis Morissett musical and like Anastasia on Broadway and stuff, and he played Fierro in Wicked, which actually tracks one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so now Finn and Rollins come report updates to Benson in her office, but the fourth guy wasn't there whereas he he's on a culture tour of Cuba.
Speaker 3: I can't convenient Kreesy pops in.
Speaker 2: So Taru just found a video that Connor made the night of the assault, and it was like deep in the hard drive and it's when she's running down the stairs and it is horrific, just like dozens of guys throwing shit at her, and then it goes to the haughty Connor and he's like, hey, it's me.
Speaker 3: This is another slut shaming video.
Speaker 2: So Barbara goes, listen, this sucks and it is harassment, but it is not assault. And then Benson goes, but hello, we have this semen match on the underwear, so like I forgot that we even got the but the semen's matching.
Speaker 3: So there's semen on the underwear.
Speaker 2: And then he's like, what about the hockey sticks, and it's like, it's been three months. There's not going to be fucking, you know, DNA on a hockey stick, idiot.
Speaker 3: So then.
Speaker 2: Barba says, no rape kit, no initial disclosure, nothing matches. It's been three months, Like what do you want and Benson is like, please, we have to do this. So Barbara goes, fine, bring in the hockey team. So then Brian denies the gang rape and says he texted the apology because of the throwing of the cups and the screaming, and he did feel badly about it, but you still are friends with all these people and I want you in jail. So then Finn is not having it, and now it cuts to Rollin's with the hattie and he says fuck that.
Speaker 3: I am not going to be an Eskimo brother with that guy.
Speaker 2: And they're like, well, your DNA is on the panties and he goes, I don't know, I fucking live there whatever, and the lawyer goes, is there a chain of custody here?
Speaker 3: And Rollins goes, well, I don't know.
Speaker 2: He's the one who handed it back to her, and he goes exactly, and that's the DNA and Rollin goes, well, that doesn't explain the semen now, does it, you fucking idiot. So then Careese is with the blonde guy in the center office and he's playing a game too. He's like, listen, you're not in cement room.
Speaker 3: Bars.
Speaker 2: We know you're a good guy, you know, like maybe if you tell the truth, like well, things will work out, and Carisee goes, you know, you just want It's like again, what the fuck? But he says I wasn't in the room. Creasey goes, great, so tell me who was in the room and then you could walk and the whole case is done and he's thinking. And then Barba and Benson are in the spy window and she's like, hey, can you call Cuba? And he's like, I don't have like pole in Cuba and he will be arrested when he comes on American soil, and Benson goes if he ever returns, like what the fuck?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 2: So then Careesy now walks in and then whispers something into Rollin's ear in front of the backwards hat hot guy and then they laugh, and then so haw guy gets nervous, and then Carisey goes, oh, we actually don't need you to actually talk at all, because between the DNA and your buddy's testimonies, we and like statements or whatever we got you. And so then the lawyer finally starts like whispering with Connor, and then Connor starts to talk. He's like, listen, it just seemed bad. But after she was done with Brian, she moved on to me and he snaps his fingers like that, and then the lawyer jumps in and goes, see it was consensual, and he goes, I didn't you know? The goes I didn't rape her, ask Brian. So then Rollins goes, oh, so Brian was there, and that's when it's like, you shouldn't talk, like let your lawyer talk. It must be like so hard not to talk like you just implicated Brian, like it's so you also said you didn't and now you're saying it you are, And why did the lawyer stop him?
Speaker 3: And I know it's television, but.
Speaker 2: It's like they all just they all break, but it means he saw him. So then back to Brian, and Finn's like, oh, your boy, Connor admitted that he did have sex with Heather after you and that you knew about it, and that means you lied, So what else did you lie about? And the lawyer goes shut up and Brian again another one goes, no, I want to explain. He goes, I did see Connor with her, but she was and the lawyer caught him off, and the detectors are like, let him finish, and he leans in with his dumb looking glasses and he goes for her to be acting all prim and proper. Now she wants to act like a whore on Saturday and like a virgin on Sunday. And the lawyer wants to end this conversation and Rollins is trying to get him to keep talking, and you know, like what's gonna happen?
Speaker 3: I can't wait.
Speaker 2: So now it's like all hands on deck. It's full meeting. They don't really have anything. None of them signed waivers, like none of them did anything. Barbara doesn't care, though, and he's like, I don't care. Let's just try to arrang them. You know, the deeper they get in the system, the harder will be to pull them out. And Benson goes, well, let's just wait a half hour because Connor's hot and smug, so let's get him on the eleven PM news. So they do a whole handcuff purp walk like media circus. There's already posters, like how do people already make posters? Like they're just getting arranged, like they're not even at Rikers.
Speaker 1: And Sbu are ready with glustics and paint markers and they're ready to go.
Speaker 2: It's so crazy. People are screaming, snapping. They close the door on an arresting Van Skip Peterson. He is the American crime host. He's on AM Buzz.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: This reminds me of like the VH one programming and the School Morning Big Morning Buzz with Michelle Butte. Yeah, you know it.
Speaker 2: The school has suspended the rapists, so that's COOLPD like, yeah, arrested arranged their photos are on TV.
Speaker 5: Woo.
Speaker 3: Heather's also made.
Speaker 2: Some statements on television and how they dehumanized her and called her a vat and the team is watching, like our team, not the hockey team, is watching on the precinct television and carise He goes, wait, wait did she just say six men raped her? She told us four, and Finn goes, maybe she's counting the men in the hall, and Chrisey goes, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Something's off, and it's like, Crease, shut up and go brush your hair.
Speaker 2: We also hear that the TV, like the guy on the television say that the hockey sticks came back with a positive DNA match, So what's going on? And then Benson and Barba are watching this in the office and He's like, wait, wasn't there nothing on the sticks?
Speaker 3: What's happening?
Speaker 2: It's really confusing, it's not reliable, like what like this isn't good, And she's doing all these media rounds which makes no sense, and Benson goes, well, you know, it does kind of make sense one time.
Speaker 3: Once you tell your story, it's empowering.
Speaker 2: So she feels empowered and it's like so empowered that two more vics just came to light, and Benson goes, you, no, victims have issues with memory and details and like things come back in pieces.
Speaker 3: But she's gonna go talk to her.
Speaker 2: So they meet up in the office and Rollins leans behind Benson as like the professor and Heather are on the leather couch and Benson's like, hey, babe, all these stories are really different. It's going to hurt you in the end. And the professor goes, whatever, people need to know what these boys did to her, and Roland goes, no, we understand that, but the like it needs to be clear who and what and all of that, and Heather and the professor get defensive and annoyed immediately and like this is why we didn't want to come forward in.
Speaker 3: The first place.
Speaker 2: And Benson goes, well, you said six, so if there are more, like we need to know who they are. And she's like, well, there's this guy Zach because they kept calling him Stinky his nickname, and he's like, no, call me Zach, like I remember him there and but like you know, the Cuba stuff. And Professor's like, okay, why don't we pick apart their stories not hers? And Benson goes for sure, but we need you to stop going to the press, and she goes, ooh, I don't know if I can do that because I'm going on Anderson Cooper and Rachel Mattout tonight. So then Benson goes, you need to cancel, and the goes, it's too late, and we're finally you know. The professor goes, We're finally getting the attention we need on these issues and the country is going to wake up, and Benson interrupts AND's like, wait, wait, wait, attention. I thought your goal was to bring her assailants to justice, and she goes, I do, but this is so much bigger than that. Now I'm the face of a movement dramatic music. They go to the Center precinct and Finn is like, so, what's up, and Rollin says she said that she wants to get her story out there, and Careesy chimes in which one he's pissed, he's pissed, and she's like, she's gonna go torpedo this whole fucking case. And Finn says, Zach is back and he's about to be on LMZ. So buchanans iss lawyer, that's not good news, and then like, let's see what this evidence he has to prove that he's innocent. On LMZ so, on December twelfth, the assault day, he was nine hours away in West Vista, in West Virginia, on the soccer field in a championship game. So, I guess one guy plays soccer. They're in a frack and they all play different shit. I guess, I don't know, am I schooled. The hockey guys were all in one frat, but then in some other frauds there were guys that didn't bloy sports and you know. Yeah, So he played soccer championship game and Hudson won three zero, and Barba is watching, calling Benson and he's mad as fuck, like why didn't you have this? And she's like, they said he was in cube, I didn't have the information. And Barbara, you know, pours some pills out. He's stressed and more even more dramatic loud music. What are they gonna do? So they play the video for Heather and the professor and the full squad and Barbara everyone's there, and she's like, I could have sworn he was there. Mom goes, yeah, you said you heard him respond and that they said stinky and like what the fuck? And the professor keeps like trying to talk and they're like, shut up, we need Heather to talk, and she says I'm her advocate, and they're like, we need to know exactly what happened, and we need to know exactly what was told to you. And she said we told everything to Skip Peterson and Barba goes, yeah, great, we're talking to him now too, don't worry, and Skip is annoyed as fuck because what else did skip? Skip is trending? The case is collapsing. What are we gonna do? That's such a long hashtag too? Like remember when wedding hashtags like nothing was more important.
Speaker 1: Truly, it was so like we go, you gotta find a something that's like a pun on your name's.
Speaker 3: And now no one have.
Speaker 2: A phone, not only you, no one cares. Now it's like do not have phones. We have like cameras for you. There will be a like like do not post anything.
Speaker 1: I mean we had one because I wanted to see people's pictures of it. So like if you just click on the hashtag, I could see all the pictures. But we hijacked it from a high school couple. I didn't realize until we went on and I was like, Oh, all the pictures before our wedding are like this cute high school couple being like prom.
Speaker 2: Oh, gosh, yeah, I am going to a wedding this year.
Speaker 3: I'm excited. So what are we gonna do? What are we gonna do?
Speaker 2: Like give us something to corroborate her story, he like, or prove something like there needs to be something. And he talked to the professor first, and then Heather is what we find out from Skip. So it's like, wait, the professor, like why wouldn't it be Heather. So then the detectives kind of realize what's going on. So they're also mad at him for not interviewing the men, and he's like, Heather was terrified of them, like she wouldn't have wanted that. He found Heather credible, and he has a daughter, you know her age, and he was proud to start the dialogue of campus rape, and Creasey goes, well, we wish you picked a true story, Like it's his fucking fault.
Speaker 3: Crisey. Just I hate you right right now, just for this episode. And I'm team.
Speaker 2: Skip, Like I don't think Skip did anything wrong, do you Skip was just stink. Yeah, I feel like Skip, like, yeah, these two people come tell him the story he wanted it, like I don't feel maybe there should have been more journalism.
Speaker 1: But well you'll see when I talk about the real story. Okay, So he has to go tape a retraction. So now we're back to Heather. She's retelling her stories. She went on a date with Brian. They made their way back to the She thought he liked her, but it went wrong.
Speaker 3: It was horrible.
Speaker 2: Barbara goes, stop with feelings and horrible and descriptors like facts, facts, facts.
Speaker 3: So they're practicing for court.
Speaker 2: She said the room was dark but empty at first, and so those other men were not waiting for her, so like I thought you said everyone was waiting And she's like, no, Connor came in later, but I don't even know about the other boys. It was dark, drunk, confused, Barbara Goo's confused about what and she swallows. And now it's back to the professor with Rollins, and she goes she could barely talk when she came to me, and Rollin's like, well, what exactly did she say? And she said that she was assaulted, and Rollins goes okay, But did she mention the gang rape? And she says no, but you can tell that she has gone through hell. And then it's back to Heather, and the professor told her it would take a while to process everything, and Barbara just asked, did he rape you? And she said, I was drunk and he started to have sex with me, and he moved really fast, and I did go along with it at the start, but I'm not sure if it was consensual or not.
Speaker 3: Then I passed out.
Speaker 2: When I woke up, Connor was on top of me, raping me, and I did not want that. So now Brian then came back into the room and the rest is a blur. Then the harassing with everybody else started. And the professor is the one that said that they probably all took a piece of her.
Speaker 3: So the professor told her that.
Speaker 2: So then Barbara says, give me a second, goes into Rollins and Professor's the boardroom and goes, what the fuck did you tell Heather? And she goes, I told her what she already knew. It was barbaric. They taunted her and assaulted her. Did she tell you she was raped? And by how many men? Rollins asked, and the woman goes, what difference does that make? And they have to go A huge difference girl, and Barba says, all of this matter, specifics matter. She goes, it didn't matter what happened to her. What matters is it happens every day. These frap boys walk around like their bulletproof. It's bigger than any of us, and it's we need to eliminate rape culture once and for all.
Speaker 3: Louder dramatic music roars.
Speaker 2: Were watching Skip on TV, Finn, Benson, Rollins, increase you're watching.
Speaker 3: He says, I believed Heather.
Speaker 2: That was a mistake and sucks and they start debating and Finn goes like, she lied to us.
Speaker 3: She fucking lied to us. And Heather standing behind them listening.
Speaker 2: To all of it, so they shush Finn and Rollins goes up to her and she's like, Rollins is being extra nice. They're on the couch now with Benson, and she's like, once the story was out for everybody and all the support, I couldn't take it back.
Speaker 3: People needed me.
Speaker 2: And Benson's like, well, not if it's a lie, and she goes, no, what Brian did was wrong, Like you know, we were drunk and Dylan, and Professor Dlon said that we like I was not able to consent because of how fucked up I was.
Speaker 3: And then Brian left. She was passed out naked.
Speaker 2: Connor did rape her hard and violent, and Benson looks very conflicted and upset, and Brian came in. He saw everything. And Heather says, but like, why won't Brian turn on Connor like fuck off? Because of hockey? Yeah, so Heather says, he turned around and walked away. So Benson says, I believe you had there, but a jury is gonna have a lot of doubts with this story. And Heather goes, well, fuck, like I have to go to school every day and see my rapist, and Benson goes, I'm sorry. I wish there was something I can do to change that, but there's nothing at this point. So we're at Motions Court March nineteenth, Buchanan full dismissal. And it's like looking at all these frap boys and suits is so scary. It's true, like a flock of men should just be called a gang grape, you know, like little animals have names, Like the collective noun is gang grape. Well, I usually say barrel guys. But that's like a very specific restor to season five of Dexter. You know, not everyone knows that. Yes, so the blonde guy from the earlier episode meant menacing Grin and then Connor. Yeah, he's hot and evil. He's gonna rape for years to come. And the judge frees them all. They all hug and he smiles at Barba, and Barba's stone cold. He's so fucking pissed. He doesn't want to let rapists go free. So now back to Ambuzz. They're interviewing a girl that in IMDb is goth girl and her makeup is a problem, and she says, I believe this season it's like they fired all the hair and up and got new people or something like that, like what happened this episode. She says, I believed Heather. I believe Heather. Something terrible happened to her. Rape culture sucks and nobody is safe. The students are going to file a law suit against the university and the NYPD. Of course, this is hard and it sucks. So Benson is up to Hudson. You she has apologized to the president, which sucks, but they have a good conversation. They say like we were both used and played and we both had our blinders on. Benson goes, listen, it was all a perfect story, and you know, it proved all my preconceived notions. And then the president has regrets as well and is like, well, if I had just listened to her instead of badgering her with questions, like, maybe she would have come forward and that's a good start, like why come up?
Speaker 3: Like why not be supportive?
Speaker 2: Then question it's like questioning immediately why would someone feel safe to open up when you're questioning everything? So then maybe uh yeah, And Benson has the same sentiment like maybe she would have told you the truth and that con and you know, she goes, Connor did rape her. And you do have a predator on campus who's pretty emboldened. And the press goes, he wants me that you want me to discipline him since you can't prosecute him. Benson goes, I'm just asking you to do what you can, like you know, she keep.
Speaker 3: An eye out. He doesn't seem like a good guy, right, And she.
Speaker 2: Goes, I could have done a lot more last week, honestly, And she says, we had an incident last night, and the response was she's lying, just like Heather Manning, And she says, I don't blame Heather, you know, like fuck Dylan, it's the it's the fucking the rape advocate and Skip. You know, they all pushed her to come forward to like change rape culture, but it's set rape culture back thirty years.
Speaker 1: Benson says, And that's dick wolf Baby. Oh boy, damn. It is crazy. It's a wild episode that ends so badly, like there is kind of no justice at.
Speaker 3: The end, right.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's like maybe a dean that's gonna help a little bit change her way a little bit, but that's it.
Speaker 2: And now I'm looking at your crime notes right now, and it's like I remember all this, and people that don't believe rape love to focus on these rolling stats pieces.
Speaker 3: It is like it is like.
Speaker 2: This one thing they continuously love to bring up.
Speaker 3: So first I'm going to talk about this.
Speaker 1: Case that happened in two thousand and seven, which was the Deonza rape case. This incident took place at DeAnza College in Cooper, Tino, California, a place you might remember as where your iPhone automatically sets its time to. And this happened on March fourth, two thousand and seven, three women from the Dayanza College women's soccer team were at a party off campus at the home of a baseball player. This is kind of I feel like where the sports of it all comes in that these guys were all on the baseball team and they reported these and with sports, like if you're good enough to play at colleges, like I don't know how good this college is or whatnot, Like you've been being treated special this whole time. Mm hmmm, you know you're great like they want, like if you're good at sports, you get a lot of fucking leeway.
Speaker 3: Yeah. True.
Speaker 1: I will say, like at my school when if you go to D three, you don't really cause like if you're not getting any you know, like you got to keep your grades up or you're gonna get kicked out, you know.
Speaker 2: But like wait, you mean for college for college, sure, but I mean the attitude like even in high school, Like sure, even if you're playing D three, you were good at you were.
Speaker 1: Really good and you've probably gotten away with a lot. I'm just saying, like the guys that are like D one, that are like the face of the school, that like bring money into the school like that they imagine them, you know. But this, so this took place at day Alan's. These three women from the soccer team are at this party at a bait at the baseball house, right, and they report seeing a drunk seventeen year old girl, a high school student, being sexually assaulted by two or more men, surrounded by other men who were watching and cheering it on. And the guys like told them to go away, blocked the door, but they eventually got in.
Speaker 3: They got the girl out of there.
Speaker 1: They took her to the hospital and she was covered in someone else's vomit.
Speaker 3: So that's harrowing.
Speaker 1: The soccer players reported the incident to the Santa Clara Sheriff's Office, who launched an investigation, and the victim accused nine players on the day on Za baseball team of assaulting her. But she says she doesn't remember anything, and even when she was later shown photos of her attackers, she doesn't recognize them, Like nothing jogs her memory.
Speaker 2: And it's like we know about the Giselle Pellico case, so like we're not and we've been doing this podcast a while, but it's like that not one guy is like swaye, this doesn't seem right. Yee, dude is like wait, guys, like are we puking on her? Like this doesn't look good, Like I don't know, like that not one. It's like so crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like the mob mentality shit, that's like really And she went to the party planning to drink, you know, and she remembers drinking a few beers, having some vodka shots, and then like the last thing she remembers is sitting down in the living room of the party, and that's her last memory before she woke.
Speaker 3: Up in the hospital.
Speaker 1: Now, the guys say it was consensual, that she wasn't as drunk as she says she was, and she like went into the back room and demanded sex and was like giving lap dances and like making them was like, have sex with me. Now, the investigation yielded basically nothing, no arrests, even after another woman came forward to say she'd been assaulted by baseball players from Danza.
Speaker 3: Also. But also, and I do a bit about this.
Speaker 2: I don't I think it's in my uh Netflix, it's in something, but it is this thing of like if men are so scared of false acus. Yeah, it's in the especial if men are like so scared about false accusations and everything that can happen, and men are the victims of all this, Like, why aren't they more careful? Like if a drunk pilled out lune tune, blackout drunk girl is running going fuck me, fuck me, fuck like it's your like you should be careful, right, Why are you so? Why am Why aren't you more concerned with your future? You seem to say you care about right right right? Like why are you why is that not a red flag to you?
Speaker 1: Fucking yeah, if women are so diabolical that they're trying to ruin your lives with these charges, you better have you better have your head on a swivel at those prop parties.
Speaker 2: And I don't mean to try and I wasn't trying to like promote my special during a rape case.
Speaker 3: Nobody nobody thought that.
Speaker 1: You're like night owl streaming now No, but uh so, essentially this investigation is bullshit.
Speaker 3: There's no arrest. Another woman comes forward.
Speaker 1: The cops didn't even check the crime scene until twenty three hours after the victim was take into the hospital, so plenty of cleanup time for these guys. A few months later, District Attorney Delores Carr said she wouldn't charge anyone due to the lack of evidence, and that to reveal the details of the case that led her to this decision would have a chilling effect on other rape claims. And she said, quote she told the San Francisco Chronicle quote, the bottom line is, it's not about what we believe happened or think happened. It's about what we can prove happened. And the decision not to prosecute was wild widely questioned, people publicly protested. The da CAR invited Jerry Brown, who was the California Attorney General, to conduct an independent assessment of the evidence. He did and his offices report determined that there was evidence that a crime had occurred, but there was also insufficient evidence to identify those responsible.
Speaker 2: Like thesation, should there be a charge that's like sitting in a room while someone's getting raped.
Speaker 1: How about everyone gets charged? Miss that reccessory? I mean, yeah, at the very least, why is that not a crime? So oh so so someone got raped and all of you were in the room. That should be a sentence.
Speaker 3: Why not? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Well, the investigation noted that the physical descriptions of the attackers varied so widely and so they could not be accurately identified. The victim had no memory of the incident after her arrival at the party, so the independent report from the California Attorney General also said that everyone at the party being very drunk really hurt the accuracy and reliability of their memories. In June of twenty and nine, a twenty twenty episode about this case aired, and the three soccer players were interviewed. April GroEL, Lauren chief Elk and Lauren Brian's sorry if I'm butchering that last name, and they were basically like, if three witnesses aren't enough, Like why is rape even a crime? Like we saw it, Like maybe they got these girls separately and they all kind of identified these guys differently, but they saw it happening, and just nothing happened, like no one was punished at all. The victim filed a civil suit against her nine alleged attackers. A judge throughout the allegations against two of them. During the trial, her attorneys got dismissed allegations against two others because I don't know why, and they reached settlements with three of the most serious accusations of rape. So hopefully she got some, you know, financial compensation, even though she even said in an interview later she was like, people are like, well, at least you got some money, and she's like, yeah, but I know where the money came from, Like I know what I endured to get the money, and that's terrible. Like so, but there were two left that went to trial, and the two guys claimed that the sex was consensual, and their names were not and Chadwick their last names, and they claimed that the sex was consentual, and then.
Speaker 3: They obviously got off.
Speaker 1: There were two left who went to trial, and those two guys claimed obviously that the sex was consensual. And during the civil trial, another woman who was identified as Jane Doe two, indicated that she wanted to testify about her own rape by one of the defendants in Jane Doe's case, which took place ten weeks before the two thousand and seven party, which is clearly like a pattern of behavior. But later Jane do two settled her case, but a witness came forward placing one of the guys in the room during her rape. So but unfortunately Jane Do two's case was excluded from trial from the civil trial of Jane Doe so and the court found that there was not enough evidence and that there was no evidence that these guys had.
Speaker 3: Planned the attack.
Speaker 1: And guess who the judge was in the civil trial. Take a fucking guess. Does the judge Aaron Persky ring any dumb fuck bells? The guy who sentenced Brock Turner to five minutes in jail, So that he is the judge who presided over the civil trial in the Dianza rape case. And he he is the yeah, the first judge to ever get recalled in California in the last eighty years.
Speaker 3: That is Persky.
Speaker 1: So the guy we talked about, and what he did in the Danza trial was he allowed photos of Jane do the victim, to be take that were taken a year after the attack, to be entered into evidence as to refute the defense that she was suffering from PTSD. They showed photos of her like partying and having fun a year after the attack.
Speaker 2: And it's weird because it's like they care so much about men's futures and act like rape doesn't affect you know, those effects don't matter. But yet if you're not sad after the rape, I guess, but it was consensual, so why would she have pts? I can't even believe, Like, why would those even be let in? And basically the guy Zampenski or P Persky, p E.
Speaker 1: R Sky, Aaron Persky, And when he was getting all of his shit for the Stanford trial, her lawyers were like, oh, and by the way, he was really fucked up in the Dayanza case as well, letting in these photos and doing other stuff that fucked up their case and undermined the victim's case. So, of course, on April seventh of twenty eleven, the jury in the civil case found the two guys not liable for the allegations against them, so no damages were awarded.
Speaker 3: So nobody pays.
Speaker 1: I mean, I guess there were three of them had to pay out of court settlements, but no actual legal ramifications came to any of these guys. So that's a nightmare thing that happens in two thousand and seven. And I love god. I googled the guy and I love when it says former judge. Yes, yeah, former judge, motherfucker. I want to write him a letter. We got to get his address. I'm going to get his address. We'll keep you guys posted. So obviously this case, this case is pretty well known Daon's I guess I hadn't heard of it, but it was at this point in time, like there are movies about gang rapes. There is like all kinds of college stuff that's happened. This show has done many episodes about things like this. And then obviously this episode is based on this famous Rolling Stone article. And what Lisa mentioned earlier was that it's interesting that porn Star's Requiem, which is episode five of this season, also stemmed from a Rolling Stone article about like a porn star going to duke. So it's just it's interesting that in the same season two big episodes, like two episodes are from.
Speaker 3: Rolling Stone articles basically based on them.
Speaker 1: But there is this massive article that comes out in November, November nineteenth of twenty fourteen that's called a Rape on Campus and it's written by Sabrina Early and it's about an alleged gang rape of a student who's called Jackie in the article, who was a student at UVA.
Speaker 3: And that's a pseudonym, of course.
Speaker 1: And what you were just pointing out before is that there earlier in this season there it was the episode porn Star's Requiem, same kind of deal because it's the same dean. We were talking about, the same mean dean lady, and it's the same it's episode five. And basically earlier that year, Belle Knox, the porn star who came forward, you know, about being assaulted. She gave her story to Rolling Stone, and I can only assume that Rolling Stone was kind of like, Yeah, it's our job to sort of take on this kind of investigative reporting and try to like end rape culture, try to you know, call it out at least, and that's why this kind of story got greenlit. Right, So, but a lot of problems with this, A lot of problems with this story.
Speaker 3: Okay, So similar to the Danza case.
Speaker 1: She was at a party Jackie in twenty twelve, and this time it was at a frat house Phi Kapa PSI, and she said her date, a guy named Drew, not a real name, led her to a bedroom where at her at the frat, where she was gang raped for three hours by several members of his fraternity.
Speaker 3: As part of their initiation ritual.
Speaker 1: She said seven guys sexually assaulted her while her date and another guy shouted instructions and they dehumanized her by calling her it like grab its leg and stuff like that. So that's where the episode got this kind of that whole language.
Speaker 3: And the final guy.
Speaker 1: In the article, she says that the final guy who like got on top of her looked like he was going to throw up, Like he looked nervous, like he didn't want to do it, and she recognized him from like anthropology class, and like in the article, she says, she was like staring in his eyes to like silently be like, please, don't do this. Then the guys were all hazing him and calling him a pussy and and he eventually one of them handed him a bottle, and so he assaulted her with a bottle. And I'm wondering if that's where I got my confusion in the brock Turner case, because I always remember I said that on that episode, I had this like memory that he had assaulted her with a bottle, And I think it comes from this case because this happened. I was living in New York when this article came out. I didn't like subscribe to Rolling Stone, but I read every second of this article, like I remember reading it and being like horrified. So Jackie leaves the party at three am, blood on her bruised. She tells her three best friends, who the article calls Andy, Randall, and Cindy. According to the article, these friends convinced her not to go to the hospital because Andy and Randall wanted to join the frat and they were like, it's going to look bad because you're our friend for us to get if you go.
Speaker 3: And they were I kind.
Speaker 1: Of like like shrugging it off, being like, why didn't you just have fun with it a bunch of hot guys from this frat, Like come on. But then the article reports on the usual aftermath of an attack like this Jeff Jackie suffered academically, she withdrew socially, she was traumatized, depressed.
Speaker 3: It further alleges that when she.
Speaker 1: Reported the attack in May of twenty thirteen, so that's about six or seven months later, the dean and head of UVa's sexual misconduct board, whose name was Nicole Eramo, she was she offered three options. She said, you can file a complain with the police, you can file a complain with the school, or you can face your attackers the in my presence, like I would be there to mediate and tell them how you feel.
Speaker 3: So these are the three options they give her.
Speaker 1: UVA would not take any action unless Jackie gave up the names of the attackers or the name of the frat, And later that year, the dean connected Jackie with m Only Renda, who was a UVA a lum and a recent graduate and a staff member now and leader of the college's sexual assault support group called One Less and Renda is probably who they were basing the character on in the SVU episode, although she did not have the same coercive according to this my research, like she did not have the same kind of like coercive behavior towards the victim. She basically is just the one who suggested Jackie to the Rolling Stone reporter. Like when the Rolling Stone reporter came to her, she was like, Oh, let me see if I can connect you with Jackie. So after the article was published, the UVA president Teresa Sullivan is shocked. She sat with the reporter for a forty four minute interview, during which time the reporter never brought up Jackie or any of the allegations that she wrote about in the article. Phi Kapa Si the frat voluntarily suspended their chapter activities at UVA for the duration of the investigation. Their frat was graffitied with phrases like suspend us UVA Center for Rape Studies and stop raping people, and UVa's student newspaper, The Cavalier Daily, wrote, quote, For some, the piece is an unfounded attack on our school. For others, it is a recognition of a harsh reality. And for what I suspect is a large majority of us, it falls somewhere in between. But people marched, people protested, And then the criticisms of the article started to emerge, and they kind of started with other journalists who argued that Early seemed to be selectively presenting information, like using confirmation bias.
Speaker 3: To write the article.
Speaker 1: She didn't speak to any of the alleged assailants, nor did she speak to any of the three friends who Jackie disclosed to following the attack. It was also discovered that there was no party on the night that Jackie says this happened. Nobody in the frat matched the description of the guy who orchestrated the whole thing. This guy drew Jackie's accounts of the layout of the house were incorrect, the fraternity officials disputed. The authors claim in the article that this was like an initiation ritual for the pledges because this happened in the fall, and pledges at UVA. Pledging at Uva happens in the spring, so that doesn't make sense. The Washington Posts did a report later where they interviewed Jackie and two of the friends that she met that night, and Jackie told the Posts that she felt manipulated by the author of the article Early, and that she claimed she asked early not to quote her in the article, and that her assailants not be contacted. The second thing, obviously she abided by, but not the first. She's like the whole point of the article. The two friends confirmed to the Posts that they remembered meeting Jackie on the night of the incident, but that she was distraught, but not visibly injured or bloody, like not bruised and bloodied the way that the article describes. They also said the story she told them didn't match what was in the Rolling Stone article, Like I guess, I mean, they're.
Speaker 3: Still bad people. Those friends are terrible people.
Speaker 2: And I was thinking, like that's the number one lesson you parents should be teaching their kids. Like you don't know these people you're meeting all these new people, you don't know them.
Speaker 3: You don't know where they've come from, like who raised them?
Speaker 2: Nothing, Like they want to be in a frat with people that just fucking raped you, Yeah and telling you not to go to the cops.
Speaker 3: Those are the worst friends ever.
Speaker 1: Like I can't well, the other thing is okay, but basically what they were.
Speaker 2: Told because even if nothing, even if she just looks kind of described be like let's go tell the ta, like let's go do something.
Speaker 1: Yes, their friend's reaction was not good at all, but they all.
Speaker 3: Get an a detest, like no encouragement. Yeah she said, they said.
Speaker 1: Oh, she told us that she was forced to give blowjobs to a bunch of guys, not like what was described in the article. Like not that that's better, but like it's it's also still assault. But Ryan Duffin is the guy who was described as Randall in the article. So his real name is Ryan Duffin, and he told the Washington Posts that he never spoken to any reporter from Rolling Stone, even though Erdaly had claimed him as a source. Allegedly, other students who spoke with Early said they were uncomfortable talking to her because it was clear she had an agenda. And then there's Drew, who was this UVA junior who took Jackie to the fraternity and basically orchestrated this entire rape. Jackie's friends in the story provided evidence that they were introduced electronically to Drew, like over email and texts as a student named Haven Monahan, and Jackie forwarded messages from this guy Monahan, and he exchanged messages with Jackie's friends, including sending a picture of himself directly to Ryan Duffin. But then it was revealed that there was no student by the name Haven Monahan at UVA, and that the picture that he sent was actually a picture of someone Jackie went to high school with, and that the different phone numbers that Monahan, I'm using air quotes now used to contact Jackie and her friends were Internet numbers, like they can be easily, you know, anyone can use them to make it seem like they're coming from a phone. And then there were love letters that Jackie had written to Haven Monahan, and then Haven Monahan had forwarded them to Ryan Duffin, and they're plagiarized from scripts from Dawson's Creek and scrubs.
Speaker 3: So what the fuck? That's like a whole piece of this.
Speaker 1: I feel like I never and SVU doesn't do get into all of this, and I think for good reason.
Speaker 3: And so.
Speaker 1: The reporting from the Washington Post uncovered that Haven Monahan was basically an amalgamation of people that Jackie had gone to high school with who were completely unconnected to UVA. So allegedly she made up this guy, Haven Monahan in an attempt to catfish Ryan duff It, who had not reciprocated Jackie's romantic feelings towards him.
Speaker 3: So then I don't know what, Like it's hard.
Speaker 1: To say, like if an assault happened at all, because she made up this whole person, and then did she sort of make up this assault to garner sympathy. And then she spoke to Rolling Stone thinking that it was going to be totally anonymous and that it was just a story about advocacy and support of rape survivors. She had no idea this was going to be like telling her story or like anything like that.
Speaker 3: She really didn't think that was what was going to happen.
Speaker 1: So it is possible, but it's also completely possible that something happened and that her you know, she has PTSD and fucked up all the details. But the guy who she said brought her to this party doesn't exist.
Speaker 3: So yeah.
Speaker 1: So a few weeks after the story was published, Rolling Stone publish an apology admitting to discrepancies in the article. The deputy managing editor tried to resign, but Rolling Stone's owner Jan Wenner would not accept it. Whenner later went on to describe Jackie as quote a really expert, fabulous storyteller, the media was not into any of Rolling Stone's apologies. They were really not taking responsibility for like how damaging the article could potentially be to several people in the article, mostly Nicole Aramo the dean, because she's the only one that's like, you know, the frat is I don't, I can't remember if the frat is named. They are the frat is named, so it damages the frat. But the only person specifically is the dean who it looks in the article like has completely mishandled this. So the article was completely retracted in April of twenty fifteen, so it's been published published for about five months, and then in May of twenty fifteen, Nicole Aramo, the Dean, filed a seven point five million dollar defamations lost in Charlottesville Circuit Court against Rolling Stone and Early and the company that owns Rolling Stone, claiming damage to her reputation and emotional distress. She was awarded three million dollars, one million from rolling Stone and two million from the author. I don't know how a random Rolling Stone author has two million dollars to even give, but sometimes these civil suits are like symbolic.
Speaker 3: In November of twenty.
Speaker 1: Fifteen, Phi Kapa PSI filed a twenty five million dollar lawsuit against Rolling Stone, and that was settled for one point sixty five million, okay. So, in the course of the civil suit, Jackie sat for a three hour taped deposition, and while she told Early in twenty fourteen, quote I was sexually assaulted by a lot of guys at that frat, and that afterwards she said, quote I remember I felt so sick all the time end quote, And then in the twenty sixteen deposition she said so two years later, she says in this deposition, even the so she has told the magazine.
Speaker 3: I was actually assaulted. I felt so sick about it.
Speaker 1: Now in this deposition, she's saying, oh, my memory was quote unquote foggy, and I'm suffering from PTSD. So she testified to this these like in this lawyer deposition, quote, I stand by the account I gave Rolling Stone.
Speaker 3: I believed it to be true at the time.
Speaker 1: And then when she was asked about Eramo the Dean, she said, quote, she did everything right.
Speaker 3: She did what an advocate was supposed to do. And then she you.
Speaker 1: Know, basically reiterated I thought the article was going to be about survivor's advocacy and support. But when I found out that I was the focus of the article, I remember feeling upset, she says, quote, I remember feeling upset. I remember feeling scared and overwhelmed and unsure of what to do. And she told them that she was feeling a lot of pressure from different angles, so like it could be something happened and she made it into a bigger thing, or could be nothing happened, and that once she said it, the story got away from her. And I don't know, but she said about the author of the article, she said, quote, my interpretation was different than what was written. But she also said her intention was good. She did her best to reflect what I told.
Speaker 5: Her, So.
Speaker 3: It's really listed, it's twisted. Yeah, so this is like crazy, yeah, And it's like.
Speaker 1: We've seen that like infographic right where there's like a hundred bodies and then there's like half of one body that's colored that like these that are colored white, and there's like half of one that's colored black. And it's like this represents the number of people who falsely report rape allegations, you know, Like of course everyone likes to bring up this article, and the author of the article did not do her due diligence, like she did not check, Like you didn't check there was a party that night, Like you didn't check for some of this shit like Rolling Stone, drop the Ball, Like you guys have fact checkers.
Speaker 3: You guys didn't check.
Speaker 1: On this stuff, like this was a big thing to publish when you didn't have the fact straight.
Speaker 2: And but it's kind of like the episode for me where it's like something bad happened and I don't you know, yeah, I don't know, but that the guy didn't exist.
Speaker 1: It's like that the guy didn't exist. But I know, people lie all the time, like an SVU. It happens all the time.
Speaker 2: Like you don't want to say who it was, Like, I just feel like through the show, we see so many people lie that have been victimized. Yeah, and totally Amanda ceiphered. Remember that episode she lied the whole time, but at the end of the day she was raped. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I hope she wasn't raped. I hope, you know, I hope it was a I don't know, a PCP thing, like I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I hope it wasn't just like, yeah, something she made up to.
Speaker 3: Get sympathy from some friends.
Speaker 1: I mean, the story was different, and then when she got connected to a Rolling Stone reporter, she changed the details to make it more.
Speaker 3: Didn't think that she I don't know. This is also a person who's.
Speaker 1: Making up a person to get the attention of someone she's romantically interested in, and that's going to a lot of lengths like copying scripts and setting up Internet numbers and posing as someone like a full catfish operation. Something is going on psychologically with her where she needs attention, and so I don't but I totally am open to the fact that something could have absolutely happened to her.
Speaker 3: But you're thinking more she this isn't mentally a woman.
Speaker 1: I'm thinking that she was having some issues and that yeah, and that she possibly fabricated this. And then when she spoke to a reporter, she thought, oh, this is just gonna be about rape survivors and advocates and I'll just talk about I mean, the number of women that have been sexually assaulted in some form is so massive, Like, definitely, I believe that Jackie, at some point in her life, maybe she was assaulted and it caused this crazy catfishing psychosis thing to develop where she was like, I'm not worthy of love if I don't. You know who knows, Like I'm not a psychiatrist, but yes, or a psychologist, stop lying, but like.
Speaker 3: Tell them the truth.
Speaker 2: I absolutely believe you've been moonlighting all this time.
Speaker 1: Something could fully have happened to her years before, and maybe when she wasn't even a uva that like she's repressed.
Speaker 3: I mean, who knows, but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but she definitely yeah.
Speaker 2: Set it back thirty years. It's like crazy, one false accusation. All women are liars. Every guy can rape, and it's like, well not not all of us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, double standards are wild to witness.
Speaker 3: You know, yeah, totally in the world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's just as long as there's one little exception they can point to of, you know something, they're like, you know, so, yeah, a obviously disturbing episode, disturbing, real true life crime, the article all that, all of it is. Grape culture is real, and I do hope things are changing somewhat on college campuses. But let's move on because we have a great guest who's going to cleanse the palette right now. Our guest today is an actor who is best known for her roles on shows like Parenthood and Into the Badlands, but today you know her as victim Heather Manning. Please enjoy our conbo with the talented Ali Ayanitez. So you were like a child actor and how old were you when you got this SVU? Were you like seventeen or eighteen?
Speaker 7: You guys, I was sixteen? Whoa, which is crazy? Like I went back and watched the episode and like the way that I love compared to all the guys in the episode, like it's so stark to.
Speaker 5: Me, I look so young.
Speaker 3: I wonder if they did that on.
Speaker 7: Her playing an eighteen year old maybe yeah, yeah, yeah, maybe, I.
Speaker 1: Mean, well, because normally it's like a normally it's like a twenty five year old playing a seventeen.
Speaker 3: Year old or in eighteen right exactly what for?
Speaker 2: Yeah, for the Ryan Murphy Monica Lewinsky, I heard they cast her really young to make it like obvious how much younger she really was than all of these people. She was twenty two, So I wonder if they did it on purpose or not or yeah, but the guys like standing in court, it's menacing. It's like just six sprat guys in a row. It is like, obviously danger is afoot. So wait, you're sixteen years old?
Speaker 3: Would you get this? Have you been like have did you watch jes Be You?
Speaker 7: Or like I was you? Guys, I was obsessed with svuh yes as as a kid, I watched it. I watched every episode like I would just I watch it for like twelve hours a day.
Speaker 5: It's it's it's probably.
Speaker 7: Like the number one thing that I've done where I was starstruck wow, because it was especially like at the time, and I'd auditioned for it before I sent in a tape because it's obviously in New York and.
Speaker 5: I didn't get that episode, and I.
Speaker 7: Was really bummed, And then I got another audition for this episode and I booked it. I booked it off of a tape.
Speaker 1: To and like, when you saw the script was Hudson University, were you like, oh.
Speaker 2: No, I can't yeah as a fan.
Speaker 3: To be at Hudson University.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, like nothing good as ever, They're never like we're going to We're actually going to a talk at Hudson University. It's always bad. It's always bad at Hudson University. Where did you film all the exterior shots? And it looked cool?
Speaker 5: It was fucking freezing. Sorry I shouldn't be.
Speaker 7: Okay, great, amazing, Yeah, it was really really cool. Is that Columbia?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was wondering because you know, I think this episode is more based on sort of like the Rolling Stone article that came out that was youater, like sort of debunked and then like but at the same time, that huge thing was happening at Columbia with this girl that made her senior thesis project, like carrying her mattress. So it's interesting that in the light in the wake of all that, SBU would be like, hey, Columbia, can we shoot there?
Speaker 3: And Columbia would be like, no problem.
Speaker 5: True, I guess money. I mean yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because they they go around to a lot of different colleges.
Speaker 3: When we've talked to people, like and.
Speaker 1: That's interesting because I actually went to a college that was in the midst of a rape scandal.
Speaker 3: I know that is really interesting, you know, But so okay, cold? And how was it shooting on the streets of New York?
Speaker 7: It was, I mean, it was amazing. It was like everything that you want from that.
Speaker 5: I love.
Speaker 7: I love shooting in New York because you're so raw, like you're just out there, You're just on the street and anyone can just walk up.
Speaker 1: Did you have a parent with on set with You're sick?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Which one?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 3: My mom?
Speaker 5: Okay, mom my mom came with me, Yeah, and was chill.
Speaker 3: What's her behavior? Did she watch us VI with you?
Speaker 7: She?
Speaker 5: I don't remember. I think it was mostly me and my sister.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: But she was always great.
Speaker 7: She was always really supportive and like gave me my space.
Speaker 5: I was such like a hard word.
Speaker 7: I mean, I still am, just like I always really want to do a really good job. It's definitely like the child actor and me being like I need to do a good job.
Speaker 5: But I remember I woke up at like four.
Speaker 7: Am in the hotel and I went downstairs and I'm journaling for my character. And she was always just really supportive in Chill. She wasn't like a crazy stage mom, which is a blessing.
Speaker 2: For Yeah, and it seems like you were self motivated.
Speaker 3: I was.
Speaker 5: I was extremely self motivated.
Speaker 2: It was extremely self journaling as a mere character is like so theater kid.
Speaker 5: I know, no, I know, I know, I mean I was. I was a theater kid.
Speaker 7: I did so many musicals when I was younger, and then like moved into film and TV.
Speaker 5: But yeah, I was so like I just really wanted to do a good.
Speaker 7: Job because it was like I was like, this is my favorite show, Like I'm working with all these actors.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's such a hard storyline, especially when you watches the show, because then it's like you never want it, you never you know, false accusations are so rare, and the perception of so any there.
Speaker 3: Those episodes definitely stand out.
Speaker 2: And then you were victimized and then this woman was supposed to help you and didn't you know it's.
Speaker 1: Very woman like used you as like the political tough episode.
Speaker 5: You know, it's a super tough episode. They wouldn't.
Speaker 7: I don't think they would make an episode like that now, Like maybe I'm wrong.
Speaker 1: With all the with like the recanting and stuff like that, with like changing your story and this and that.
Speaker 5: I mean it's an I mean it is interesting.
Speaker 7: It makes you think, but it's heavy, Like the end is the the end is heavy.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: When she's like I couldn't believe how it ended.
Speaker 1: When she's just like, there's kind of nothing we can do, I was like, that's never how sbu ends.
Speaker 3: There's always something she can do.
Speaker 5: And I'm like, don't they have the DNA? Yeah, what do you mean? I don't know, but yeah, I was so.
Speaker 7: I was so excited also to work with Laura Frasier because who played like my professor.
Speaker 5: Because I love Breaking Bad. I mean I love Breaking Bad.
Speaker 3: Why did I not recognize her?
Speaker 7: She plays the okay, she plays like the really art tight girl who's like yeah, yeah, who's always like tweaking out, and then I think he kills her with Splenda is the Breaking Bad spoiler, But I feel like I can spoil it.
Speaker 5: It's better.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's been a long time.
Speaker 5: But yeah, she was she's amazing.
Speaker 7: And then Michael Slavis, who directed the episode like a bunch of breaking bad. I think she directed some of it too, So I was like, just really excited to work with all these people.
Speaker 2: Is this is she the one where she's like rich and they come in like Mike, Mike comes into her house like she works within the chemicals.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: I did not really did not know who you were talking about until I saw that her name is Lydia Rodarte Quail and I was like, yes, I know exactly who this is.
Speaker 2: And then I don't think you had scenes with her, but I loved the woman who played the dean or like, it's like such a classic type of woman.
Speaker 1: She's a classic dean. That's like I actually am not going to help the police with this. It will look bad.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Wait, So tell us how you went from starstruck to like having to do your job.
Speaker 3: I guess.
Speaker 7: I mean, I I think I just really locked it.
Speaker 5: And that's like not a good answer.
Speaker 7: I think, I you know, I just I I so even when I was young, I really cared about being truthful as an actor, and I just I just love it, like I love playing off someone and like getting into someone else's head and I love the psychology of all of it. So I think I was really into that as well, and that was almost like equally as important to me as like as like the starstruckness, you know. I think I was really focused on her and like creating the character and just acting.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I also, I mean everyone was really really nice, Like Marishka was wonderful. I remember even thinking like I was like, girl, you've been doing this for sixteen seasons and you are locked in with me. Like I remember I was doing a scene with her and she was so she was so locked into me, and I remember her being like thank you for like giving me so much, on giving me so much on my coverage, like like she she was not going through the motions, which I like, how are you not doing that? After doing this for sixteen.
Speaker 1: Years and like it's honestly been another ten And everybody says like she's kind of the same, like she's still really like good and so like dialed into her care like the scene and like yeah, everybody just says that she's so I think that's like why.
Speaker 7: So yeah, I remember. Also I have this memory of like when I went in for my fitting. They were like, oh, like for the scenes where you're talking about the assault, will give you like a big sweater.
Speaker 5: We call them victim sweaters. I don't know if anyone else.
Speaker 3: Wow, like so happy.
Speaker 2: We've actually intel modeled one of our merch sweatshirts over a victim sweatshirt, but they didn't know there was.
Speaker 3: An official name to them. I like that it's victim sweater.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's victim sweater.
Speaker 7: I thought that was really like kind of like fucked up and funny.
Speaker 2: I was like, well, I have a question about it. I Oh, I love your baby blue sweater. I haven't written. I also loved your eyeshadow and lips.
Speaker 1: It like your wardrobe and makeup were really great for this character.
Speaker 3: I did love it. I noticed.
Speaker 5: I agree. They they definitely, I mean I had no saying that.
Speaker 7: They definitely made her really like to me, she's very like midwestern.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I mean it makes sense that I guess like after someone's gone through something very traumatic that they would sort of like want to hide themselves a little bit, or like hide their body, and that's why you're wearing this like like just with your sleeves or something.
Speaker 7: Yes, yes, they said that. They were like, so so you can, so you can do this.
Speaker 1: It's like John really has a joke about Sweater acting right, It's like, yeah, you know.
Speaker 5: I love Yeah, it's amazing.
Speaker 3: We need we need him and Kate on SVU immediately.
Speaker 5: Yes we do, we do, we really do.
Speaker 2: What else do you remember or like, did anything bring you back while watching it as well?
Speaker 7: I remember, hmmm, I remember in that in that last scene I had with Marishka, I remember I was having a hard time and I remember the director of Michael Slavis pulled me aside and he was like, this happens to people, Like this is real, this happens to girls.
Speaker 5: And then I was just like I lost it. I was so emotional.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that was a really intense moment. That was such such good direction. It's it's a moment that I'll always remember because I don't think directors always have to do this. But he was feeling with me, like he was in there with me, and that's what I needed, Like I needed someone to let me know how important.
Speaker 5: It was, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that like someone could see this sound like really resonate with your characters.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, I'm looking through the IMDb cast right now, and there is one girl in her is goth girl.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 5: See okay, yes she is actually the director's daughter.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, I just yeah, Oh my god.
Speaker 5: That's something that I remembered when I was watching it back. I was like, oh, yeah, that was his that was his daughter.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, that's so fun fun.
Speaker 2: What is this show? Into the bad Lands? Action packed?
Speaker 5: Yes, martial art show?
Speaker 3: Cool?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, it was that.
Speaker 7: I mean that was like a huge part of my life because I was on that show for four years.
Speaker 5: It was amazing. It was Yeah.
Speaker 7: We literally did before the first season a six week training camp and then the next like three we did a three week training camp, and I would train in between with people from like stuntings from Beijing. There are people that worked on the Matrix and like Crouching Tiger, Hit and Dragon like.
Speaker 5: Oh, it was an incredible experience.
Speaker 2: Now, did you have any background in that? What was the auditioning for that?
Speaker 7: No, they wanted a dance sir, and I did dance when I was a kid, like, but I didn't compete and I wasn't good. But I think my agents told them that I was a dancer. Which is which is true. And then they just trained us. I mean they, I mean you know, we had like the best people in the world to train you, and we all worked really hard and just learned a lot.
Speaker 5: And now when I do stunts, like, if I ever have to do stunts, I'm.
Speaker 7: Amazed by how I hand at them, just because I did it for so many years and I'm so comfortable with it, like and I and I loved it.
Speaker 5: I actually really really loved doing stunts.
Speaker 2: It's yeah, really in my dream and you were fighting. And then where was the training camps?
Speaker 5: The first time was in New Orleans because we shot the first season in New Orleans, and then the rest were in Ireland because we shot in Ireland. We shot in Dublin School.
Speaker 3: Same.
Speaker 5: I loved it there so much.
Speaker 3: I really enjoyed it there.
Speaker 5: It's the best, the people, the it's.
Speaker 1: The And then you just did this like short that's part of like the Jason universe.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah? I did Is that Friday the thirteenth? Yes? Yes, yeah.
Speaker 1: My husband recently told my four year old son the entire story of Jason.
Speaker 5: So yeah, I was like, wow, that's amazing.
Speaker 1: It's like I'm scared and I was like, can I talk to you in the other room please?
Speaker 5: But that's so funny?
Speaker 1: Is this like so are you like, are you like into being like a scream queen or like what kind of was this?
Speaker 3: Like yeah, freaky, like.
Speaker 5: This kind of thing I do.
Speaker 1: I do.
Speaker 5: I like it a lot.
Speaker 7: I find it, like, I find it really cathartic actually to be in a really uncomfortable, like life threatening, horrible position, but like know that you're obviously fine, like you know, like you're going through the worst possible thing, like imagining it, and then you go home and you're just on the couch and you're cozy and you're fine. I mean, it's sort of like the experience of watching a horror film, where like you go and you watch it and you're horrified, but you're fine.
Speaker 2: It's famous, some ruined my life forever.
Speaker 5: That's true.
Speaker 7: That's true.
Speaker 3: Truly. I don't know about that. And it doesn't need to be horror.
Speaker 2: My one of my best friends always says that like HOLOCAUSTUS movies should be considered horror, and like advertise the way because she's like those haunt me, like the Pianist haunts me all the time.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I get seen from that.
Speaker 2: There's one in particular scene I think about all the time and I wish I don't not that I wish I hadn't seen it, but it fucked me up a lot.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's so true.
Speaker 3: And it follows fucked me up.
Speaker 2: I mean it follows like I can't even rewatch it all the way.
Speaker 3: I really scares me.
Speaker 2: Wait, what stunts have you done since Into the bad Lands? Are people like, whoa are the others stunt people? Like they could tell?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think I think they can probably tell. And I also will just tell them.
Speaker 7: Like I think a big thing with actors is some people will be like, hey, like we have to do this, and the actor is like a kind of like that sounds great, like let's do it.
Speaker 5: Yeah I did.
Speaker 3: I did.
Speaker 7: I did some stunts for that Friday thirteenth thing I I get like like pulls me into the water. I mean I literally had to be in that lake at night. Where did you shoot it in Wisconsin?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 5: That was very cold.
Speaker 7: And a lot of there was there was a lot of fighting in that. There was like, yeah, I don't remember like specific stunts that I did, but.
Speaker 5: Yeah, what else did I do? Stunts in I mean really like every.
Speaker 7: Horror I've done, and I've done, and I've done like quite a bit of horror since then. There's definitely stunts with that. There's always stuns with horror. But I love a horror stump. It's so fun. And I love like a blood gag like I had to cough up my lungs for one movie.
Speaker 5: I love doing that.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so fun.
Speaker 3: You wrote in direct Saco Bhones, I did, Yes, I am.
Speaker 5: I'm very excited about this. It's a short.
Speaker 7: It's my first short that I've directed and written, and I'm also in it and I'm just finishing it up now, so we'll be submitting it.
Speaker 5: To festivals and tell me more.
Speaker 7: It's about this girl who gets obsessed with a crow, and I have liked this could be about.
Speaker 5: Every time I tell people about it, they're like, yep, my aunt.
Speaker 1: My friends have been leaving presents for the crows to try to get them to become friends with that and it's working.
Speaker 3: So is that as this the Saca Bones character, she's.
Speaker 7: Kind of Yeah, she's like a weird girl who gets obsessed with a crow, and she lives with her mom, and her mom just does not understand and then there's like some conflicts that sparks out of that damning. Yeah. Yeah, I'm I'm getting more into writing and directing, which has been awesome.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that is awesome. That's great.
Speaker 2: If you were to come back to SVU as a full on adult, what would you like to?
Speaker 5: I love to.
Speaker 7: I would love I You know what I I'm so mad that I didn't get to do, actually is be in court.
Speaker 3: You weren't on the stand.
Speaker 7: That's right, that that actually I actually do remember reading the episode and being like, damn, yeah, and I think I would want to be a lawyer one hundred, like.
Speaker 1: A DA or a defensive like like are you are you a cutthroat?
Speaker 5: I feel like it'd be fun to be a prosecutor. I feel like it'd be fun to do that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, prose, but you can can you unless you play the same.
Speaker 1: Unless they like they'll get like sometimes somebody is like a prosecutor in New Jersey or like you know, a queen's prosecutor or something like that.
Speaker 3: You can't worry. Coraesi is on family vacation. Yeah totally, man.
Speaker 5: So how how long have you guys been watching? Like when did you first start.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't want to say, well, you you watched the premiere because on your birthday, premiered on my birthday. I've been watching it since it came out, but I wouldn't say like it came out when I was in college, like my college years, like I wasn't like home watching appointment television. So I caught like through having USA Network through the two thousands, is like how I when I was living in New York, is like how I became more of like a dialed in fan and I was watching it like every week plus marathons, but also like being a comedian on the road for like the past, I would say, like full time over a decade, it's like the best hotel watch.
Speaker 3: It's just always there for you.
Speaker 2: And that that was and then when when Kara had this idea, But yeah, I guess. And now we've been doing this podcast for close to three hundred episodes, what it's like been six years.
Speaker 5: That's amazing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it doesn't. It's amazing, and we're always inspired.
Speaker 2: I mean, we get to talk to such cool people. It's really it started out as like we're going to research crime and that interview people, and then the interviews have become like, well, you know, a joyful.
Speaker 5: Part of this for us, oh, because.
Speaker 2: We're inspired and then everyone loves Marishka unprompted, and that's been a cool journey. One day we'll have to like splice all of this together and send it to her as a gift, because the way people gush about her without even us asking a question is really cool.
Speaker 5: I mean I agree, like I felt the same way. I was blown away, Yeah.
Speaker 7: Because like I mean, when you do, I mean, I guess it was kind of the first like procedural I did, but then I went on to do more of them, and then you do realize like, oh, it's a really hard job to do the same character for so long, and it's natural to get a little like you know, distracted or just you know, it's like it's hard to be in the moment.
Speaker 3: All the time.
Speaker 5: I don't know, how has it.
Speaker 1: I think also because she just like knows that her character and the show is also like helping people in a way. It's like what the directors said to you, It's like, yeah, she's actually like started all this advocacy that's changed legislation, Like she really you know, and like kids are getting kidnapped and going, well, I actually knew to do this because I watch SPU with my mom, Like, you know, so I think that she's probably and I think.
Speaker 2: When we've talked to other cast members, like they know that the guest stars on the show are doing the heavy emotional lifting, and they're also they know that it's like a big deal for actors to book like these parts. But yeah, it's victims, it's flip out, it's really emotional, and I think they want people to have good experiences and do a good job.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I definitely, I totally agree with that.
Speaker 7: I actually, now that you're saying this, I feel like I learned so much from her because then when I've been serior with regular on my show I on bad Lands, I was like, I need to treat these guest stars like I've been treated so many times.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because it is.
Speaker 7: It's like it's not your set and you do usually have like.
Speaker 5: Something more emotional.
Speaker 7: Or and you're not in your environment and you're meeting all the people and the crew, and it's like it goes a long way. If someone is like I'm here for you, I see you, like I got you. If you need anything, you know, yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I can't wait to watch this bad lunch show.
Speaker 5: I hope you like it.
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 5: It's a fun show.
Speaker 2: I mean, well because, yeah, Kara's been surprised at my descent into Mortal Kombat.
Speaker 3: But I need this.
Speaker 5: I actually combat like what in what form? Where you consume it?
Speaker 2: So the new movie came out, and I was like doing a gig in Vegas and I was just like alone in a strip mall, and I was like, I'll go see it?
Speaker 3: Why not? And then I was like this was fucking fun.
Speaker 2: And so then I came home and watched the other Mortal Kombat movies, started listening to the soundtrack, and now I didn't know what my.
Speaker 3: Next step was, but now I found it.
Speaker 7: Okay, So actually something that is really good for you to know. The movie that came up before this one came out a few years ago. The lead of it, Lewis tan Is in bad Lands.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, fantastic, Okay.
Speaker 7: He's in the I think he's only in the Maybe he's in the third and fourth.
Speaker 5: Maybe he's only in the fourth season.
Speaker 3: I see him now, I see him, Okay, I see him now.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I had to scroll a little bit okay, fuck yeah, fuck yeah.
Speaker 2: And then now I have a fantasy of wanting to do that, like I want to do Mortal Kombat.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean.
Speaker 5: It seems so I want that for you.
Speaker 7: You should honestly take like you should like go do some martial arts.
Speaker 2: I would rather do boxing, like I have the gloves. Yeah, I feel like I but I'm about to start.
Speaker 1: That again because I do really having a good time. I'm just addicted to Soul Cycle in a way I can't.
Speaker 5: I love Soul Cycle too. Soul Cycle's great.
Speaker 1: Do you have stuff coming up ally that you want us to like promote or anything or not.
Speaker 7: At the moment, I think I just like the stuff that I'm directing and writing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, my shorts. Yea sacaphone when it comes out, Yeah, sacophone.
Speaker 3: And then you got to put it into like all the fests. Such a good name. Thank you, it's a good name.
Speaker 5: Second, thanks guys.
Speaker 2: She was really cool, and you know, she might be in my new favorite show, Into the bad Lands.
Speaker 3: We never know. We never know.
Speaker 1: You're gonna like learn fight choreography from her. But I want to be able to see her horror movie.
Speaker 2: I hope it's like a fast or something that I find actually Nico Carney. I mean again, we're in the time machine, but he's in a movie that I just bought a ticket to. I've been taking some random weekend nights off and the events reveal themselves to me.
Speaker 1: Okay, So like lasten the door and a window open. Yeah, like last week, I took the night off, not knowing what's gonna happen.
Speaker 2: I got invited to a fun dinner like by a chef, so then I got you know, special, and then karaoke all night. And then this Friday, I took off and some Nico posted that his movie's premiering at IFC, so I'm gonna go see it.
Speaker 3: Amazing. Yeah, it's called Oh my God, I have C needs.
Speaker 2: You also cannot buy uh movie ticket for a IFC center without like registering like I, and the password has to be twelve characters, like I f C, what are we running here? Like I can't just buy a ticket and now I can't.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: So it's called She's the He and Misha Ashvich is in it, and they were in Survival of the Thickest so I had met them, so I'm kind of excited.
Speaker 3: Whatever. So I'm gonna go to a movie and there's a Q and A and every single person in this cast looks so young and hot. Yeah, I'm going to a young car is in it? Oh my god. Cool.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I'm gonna see that in the time machine. And maybe when we're back, i'll let you know. I'm excited. She's the heat. Now that I've been in the independent movie world, I'm gonna go see you've got a support Yeah what a nightmare? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah. Making movies is insane.
Speaker 2: It's just so many Like that's why I stand ups the best, Like you really don't need anything, I guess an audience, but like you don't need nothing with a movie.
Speaker 3: It's just like I can't. It's so many fucking people. It's a lot of miss it's a lot of moving parts. It really is. Yeah, but I'm gonna see She's the heat. Amazing. That's fun.
Speaker 2: The soups, this noup, and I want your favorite soaps as well.
Speaker 1: My favorite soap okay, my favorite soup okay. So I will say, first thing that comes to mind is like a tomato, but it had it's like specific, like it has to be like a specific, sort of like creamy tomato and that's why I loved the one at Cozy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a place I love in the city. But their tomato soup is chunky, and I'm like, I don't actually need a vegetable in here.
Speaker 1: A chunky tomato soup that kind of tastes like I'm eating hot marinera.
Speaker 3: That's not for me.
Speaker 1: Like I like a creamy I guess maybe a bisk is. Like I don't really know what makes a bisk a bisk. But speaking of bisks, I love a fucking lobster bisk. I love a corn bisk. I mean, I love a corn chowder. I love a broccoli cheddar. So you mostly like a cream yeah, creamy anything with cream so corn. Also, I also like a French onions. I mean French onion is one of those soups where I'm like, don't tell me that you made it with a beef broth, you know what I mean? Like, if if you can, if I can find one with like a vegetable broth, amazing, But I love it so much I can kind of look past.
Speaker 3: But I do like a brothy soup.
Speaker 1: It's just so few of them are made with like a vegetable broth, you know what I mean, Like I like a.
Speaker 2: Vegetable soup the issue, yeah, because I like overall my mom makes the best chicken noodle, like chicken like yeah, like she gets those bones and she's making these soups and like I love a chicken noodle a matza boat like that for sure is culturally inside of me. But like, no, I want a fucking creamy clam chowder or a baby like I can't.
Speaker 1: Believe I forgot New England clam chowder. I was waiting for you to finish about your mom, and I was like, I actually am.
Speaker 3: I love that clam child.
Speaker 2: The texture of a clam I like in this chowder, but I didn't know about okay, Like I worked at Chicago Joe's in Chicago obviously so yes for a long time and that's where I learned a lot about soups and like Fridays I think was clam chowder and it changed my life.
Speaker 3: Did they have clemchowder in a bread bowl at Chicago Joe's.
Speaker 2: No, it was like a real restaurant, but we did have always on our specials.
Speaker 3: That feels so shady. Well, I used to go to this place called Joe's American Bar and Grill, and there was still one. Oh, I've been there.
Speaker 1: I went with you, Yeah, on Newberry Street, and there was one in the town, the mall near my college, and we would like splurge and go have clam chowder in a bread bowl C C and a BB we would call it.
Speaker 3: And I but that was a real.
Speaker 2: Restaurant, so it was, and I went and I loved it. To me, it's just so Panera. I've never seen it outside of Panera except you're right, that makes sense, that makes sense. But I think bread bulls should be everywhere at all times, and if it was an option, I would be getting them. But no, we just had little, tiny bowls and like I just loved I loved it so fucking much.
Speaker 3: But yeah, and a bread ball.
Speaker 1: It feels like the most sustainable thing you can do. Just eat your whole bowl, Like just get rid of the whole thing, you know, Like it feels like you're lowering your carbon footprint every time.
Speaker 3: You eat clym ches.
Speaker 2: Well, I think I've mentioned this at least twenty times on this podcast. But my niece when she was younger, but not that young, because.
Speaker 3: It's not that old of a thing.
Speaker 2: But she would put the Panera mac and cheese in the bread bowl. Oh, really taking it, taking it to the max, taking it to the extra, taking it.
Speaker 3: To the extreme.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I love a creamy soup so much, tomato soup. I need a girl cheese like I don't think I would ever. And then I love the little mandols. I love these soup croutons. I would drink them as a child.
Speaker 3: Ooh, I actually have a tomato soup and girl cheese recipe to make tonight for dinner.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm gonna have. You just reminded me that was in my fridge. It feels weird now to get into like a post mortem. No, but I also hate campus rape. But I we're talking about soup.
Speaker 2: But when people like and we just made this long soup discussion, but I hate when people are like, soups are my favorite food and all any actually it's Julia's fair food. Like people that are always making soups for the week and eating little soups with lentils in it. I don't trust them, and I don't like it kidney beans, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Like, I don't like that pre batching soup Nah, you're not down for them.
Speaker 2: No, I don't like. I don't like I don't like beans in a soup. I think that's my It took me a second.
Speaker 3: To get there. I don't like bees.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I don't like that. Whereas I like that, I'm down.
Speaker 2: But yeah, if you ever order like a tortilla soup and then it's just like hunks of black beans and it's disgusting.
Speaker 1: I don't think I've ever had tortilla soup though, to be honest, maybe.
Speaker 3: I should try.
Speaker 2: Oh you have you been? Have you had the soup at Olive Garden with those little they have little puffy things in it, Like I've never been to an Olive Garden.
Speaker 3: Really? No, Oh, I think you would love it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it would be your favorite restaurant.
Speaker 3: I mean I think like when I was growing up, there.
Speaker 1: Was a place called tu Cheese that was kind of like Connecticut and Massachusetts that's very similar to Olive Garden, and I loved Bertue Cheese, So I probably would love Olive Garden.
Speaker 2: It's the zupa toscano and it just has little pillows, but it's not like chunks of bread. Honestly, I can't believe how hard. No, it's not chunks of bread, it's little Ravioli's. I can't believe this is so hard for me. Oh like, where is the fuck like for me? I think Google punishes me because I do minus ai wow, because I'm trying to look at a restaurant menu.
Speaker 3: I have to put in a zip code for what? For what? Oh wow?
Speaker 1: If you actually, if you look this up, A lot of places have ways to make it. The recipe is like all over different kick like websites of how to make zupa Tuscana.
Speaker 2: That's not what I thought. Maybe it's the yeah, Italian dumplings. Dumplings is the word. I was like, okay, yeah, so it's the chicken and theoki. So you can't have it a creamy soup with roasted chicken, Italian dumplings and spinach.
Speaker 3: I love it, but like, I.
Speaker 1: Don't know, maybe your your palate has grown because it's so much nostalgia.
Speaker 2: I don't think I would even like Olivar. But it's like I just loved Trimp Scamp. I liked, I loved it, I loved I loved being there. And then when I opened for Nikki on the Road, like a long long time ago, we would go for lunch and she would just we would get the like soup, salad, breadstick lunch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I just and then like when I lived in New York for eleven years, like it was in Times Square, you know, like I wasn't really like going to Times Square to eat, and then now I live here, I don't even know where you know where one is, so it's just been like not around me.
Speaker 2: I don't have anything against it. It feels weird to try to encourage you to go. It's just like funny because I do think like you would love it.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm about to drive cross country and maybe I'll take my kids to Olive Garden because Rosie does fucking love pasta, so I'm sure. And she loves breadsticks like any place.
Speaker 3: That has big breadsticks. She goes bread sticks like she'll eat like.
Speaker 2: They come in a bag and then they kind of souv them in the bag and boiling water.
Speaker 3: Like it's not real food.
Speaker 2: But like that's what I wrote a request for my birthday for years until I realized I can get more expensive things, but i'llive go like the raspberry swirl cheese. Hey, like I requested Alive Garden every year for my birthday for at least like six years. Damn, I loved it. And the red lobster was in the same parking lot, like and I met that wasn't he didn't even cross my mind to go, yeah, I loved.
Speaker 3: I loved Bertucci.
Speaker 1: I wonder if I don't know if Bertuccies is still around, but okay, I guess. Basically though, to wrap up this episode, it's it's don't go to We had a big we kind of had a big talk about it at the end of the recap, like it is just frustrating because people don't false report a lot, and then if there is any story that is not like perfect, it's like see you know, and I think that.
Speaker 2: Well, it's just like if that's fine, do the sea, but then admit that you're all rapists, Like it's not fair, Like we like a false accusation represents everyone, but a rapist doesn't represent everyone. Yeah, so it's like if you think we're all lying bitches, then at least admit you're all rapists. Like I'm fine to play that game if you want, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: And then why are we even why is anybody even messing with any on the other side, if everybody's rapist and everybody's lying.
Speaker 3: Like just leave each other alone. Yeah, they just can't.
Speaker 2: It's like it's really Oh wait, did I tell you about the strip club thing? So I was hanging out with someone from Canada, and I've been thinking about this a long time because they're loonies into like they're one.
Speaker 3: And two dollars or coins.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, So I've just been thinking, how does strip clubs work with the coins? So I finally was like, wait, dude, you're in Canada. How do people go to strip clubs with the coins? So he says, you slide them, and it's kind of a thing, and so like people just slide the coins, but I go even picking them up as hard, like how do you pick up the coin?
Speaker 3: Like do you have like a crumber? Like it's just like just kind of a thing.
Speaker 2: And then he was saying that like sometimes the girls will grab posters of themselves and then make it into a funnel and then put it in their pussy and then everyone's throw like throws coins. But then he says some people will heat the coin up with a lighter to try to burn the girls.
Speaker 3: Okay, well that person should be on a list.
Speaker 2: No they get I go, do they get kicked out? He goes, no, of course, and I go, but who would even do that? He goes, yeah, men just can't have nice things. And it's just like what the fuck? But this is what I'm talking about. It's just like you're at a strip club. You get to throw it like in a funnel, in a pussy, and you then have to burn her.
Speaker 3: Like I don't understand.
Speaker 2: It's like it's never a no, crazy, it's never so ugh yeah, because this happens in like porn too, where like you'll read like the girls like these are my limits, and then everyone knows the limits, and then someone will try to break the limits and it's like, but there's all these things you could do, like why are you trying to do the thing that's a no? Like it just doesn't make sense to me. But I was like, it's horrified by the bird because that hurt, Like what the fuck?
Speaker 3: It's crazy to me. There shouldn't be coins like Canada so can.
Speaker 1: I mean, Like it's like we just read Yesteryear where they're like when she comes to the realization, she's like this country hates women and it's like, but Canada. I didn't think Canadians, but you know, it's all It's everywhere. Jaselle Pellicot was in France. I mean, come on, it's everywhere.
Speaker 2: Also, listen to rape Advisor, like try to tell the truth, yeah, and it's the matter, details don't matter, and it's like and you're the rape out of it, like you should be fired.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I think also this like a big, a big takeaway for me from this episode, from my research too, is like we really need good journalism is important, and like journalism that is like fully vetted and like everyone's asking the right questions and doing the right and when there's like takeovers at CBS and there's agendas and stuff like that, I just feel like we're gonna get even more and more like weird reporting and misreporting and slanted reporting.
Speaker 3: So it sucks.
Speaker 2: But I Fuckberry Wise, like fuck that bit witch, Fuck that bitch, and fuck anyone that like allowed it to get this far with her, you know, like I mean with all of them, but it's like, at least with the rest of them, they like they know that they're bad. But like I felt with her, it was like she's cool, she's small, you know, like there was just this defense in like something about her.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean the fact of the matter is, like, thinking about this bitch that did such a bad job at her article, it's like we do we we do more due diligence than her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I at least make sure a few different sources say the same thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, or if it's a bad source, I go listen. This is the New York Persons from a blog. This is from something weird.
Speaker 2: I don't know, Like I don't like us as a podcast should not have more integrity and research than like full journalists.
Speaker 3: Like we're not.
Speaker 1: Gonna be just like it's just like the way the cops will go into something going, I know this is the truth, and I'm gonna make my whole investigation slant towards this truth.
Speaker 3: That's kind of what she did with this article.
Speaker 1: Even though absolutely there are probably rapes happening on that campus, and there's absolutely victims and something probably did maybe happen to this girl, But like, you can't build an entire story based on a witness that you like did not vet and like you did not check out her story, and there were some easy easy mistakes that you could have grabbed, you know.
Speaker 3: But whatever.
Speaker 2: But like I remember taking journalism in high school, and I would say, all those lessons are no longer relevant. Really, Yeah, we talked about it like it used to be like the inverted pyramid, right, Like you would do the most important. You would get all the details out as soon as possible because you're reading the news and you want to give people the info. And then it'd go tinier and tinier details all because they have like click economy and stuff.
Speaker 3: It's like bah bah bah and you're like what and then you're like trying to find.
Speaker 2: A fact, and it's like where is the true where is the news? Why are you not giving me the details of the fire?
Speaker 3: Like why? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Like there you're It's like the article will start out it was a cold day in September.
Speaker 3: You're like no, no, no, no, no, this is a news article, not.
Speaker 1: Like a Vanity Fair profile, Like I just tell me where the fire happened.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I guess when I say everything is irrelevant, it's just this one thing.
Speaker 3: I remember.
Speaker 1: I was like, what's wrong? Like the lead like writing a good headline, subheads?
Speaker 3: What do you mean? Well, just neverted pyramid.
Speaker 1: I took journalism all through high school because if you wanted to work on the student newspaper, you had to take news publication every every quarter a semester. Yeah, so I was like always taking it. But you know, and I worked on my college newspaper too. God, I really thought I was going to be a journalist at some point. Maybe I am. I'm a podcaster now.
Speaker 2: I mean investigative journalism is fucking cool, Like it's an admira, Like I love reading these long ass pieces that take so much time. I like watching movies about newspaper stuff. I still haven't seen Spotlight. I gotta do that.
Speaker 3: But Spotlight's so good. But like I I admire it.
Speaker 2: I don't know, it's like cool, and it's patients, which is something I don't really have, and so that's like and like secrets, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, totally, I would love it.
Speaker 1: Okay, so let's get into our what would Sister Peg do? This is our weekly segment where we direct you to an organization, an article, a documentary, something to give you more information about what we talked about in today's episode. And we recommended this organization after we did porn Star's Requiem, but that was like episode eleven of the podcast, so we're bringing it back. It's called end Rape on Campus, as the name clearly indicates. They're working to end campus sexual violence through direct support for survivors and their communities, prevention through education, and policy reform at the campus, local, state, and federal levels. Trona Burke is on their board of directors, who is one of the founders of the Me Too movement.
Speaker 3: So I think this is a great organization.
Speaker 1: So for more information about that or to donate, you can head over to end Rape on Campus dot org. And we to that in our show notes as usual, and we post it in a story the day this episode comes out, and all of our stories are on our Instagram, which is that's messed Up pod, and we save all of our dot what would Sister PEG's peg? We save all of our what would Sister peg dos in our WWSPD highlights.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for that, and next week we'll be doing Murdered at a Bad Address, Season twenty one, episode six. Thank you so much, Tommy's and we'll see you next week.
Speaker 3: Bye.
Speaker 2: That's messed Up as an exactly right production.
Speaker 1: If you have compliments you'd like to give us or episodes you'd like us to cover, Shoot us an email it That's Messed uppod at gmail dot com. Listen to That's Messed Up on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Follow the podcast on Instagram at That's Messed Up Pod, and follow us personally at Kara Klank and glitter Cheese.
Speaker 1: As always, please see our show notes for sources and more information.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much to our senior producer Casey O'Brien and our associate producer Christina Chamberlain, and to.
Speaker 1: Our mixer John Bradley and our guest booker Patrick Cottner, and to Henry Kaperski for our theme song, and Carly Geen Andrews for our artwork. Thank you to our executive producers Georgia Hardstart, Karen Kilgarriff, Daniel Kramer, and everybody at Exactly Right Media.
Speaker 3: Dun Dun