Speaker 1: Hey, doll fans, what's up?
Speaker 2: Not gonna do the intro here on these podcasts where the epic intro seems just a little bit to come up short for a team that's playoff life is kind of on life support.
Speaker 1: At the moment.
Speaker 2: We're gonna break down the film today for you guys offense, defense, Who stood out, who did not, All of that and more from the Baptist Hill Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex. This is the drive time podcast. We kick it off as we do on these normally Tuesday episodes. This we'll run on either Friday night or Saturday morning, doesn't matter. But we're gonna kick it off with the offense here in some general points to begin everything.
Speaker 1: I am glad I saw this tape.
Speaker 2: I mean I see them all, so it's not like I wasn't gonna see it, but I'm glad I saw it because I haven't answer that explains to me. The offensive issues. It's the same thing that it always is, because this game wasn't sloppy beyond like the first quarter. From an operations standpoint for the Dolphins offense, it goes back to practice time last year. It was key parts not practicing really every single week down the stretch, whether it was Reek or Waddle, Reek and Waddle, most Aret eight Cham. They just had a lot of missing parts down the stretch that I think produced some offensive incontinuity, especially across the offensive line, and they sputtered at times because of that. We didn't have a single practice this week. Most teams don't on short weeks. It's usually just walked throughs. And think about that. We have three TNF games under Mike McDaniel. Do you know what the record is of those games, zero and three. Do you know what the cumulative score of those games is? It's eighty eight to forty nine. And you could argue that Tua was trying to create plays in the Bengals game that caused him to get that injury that really sent that season off the rails for a little while. The Buffalo game, the same exact thing happened, and then in this one a little bit more of the same, but more from an operation standpoint and two it took some big shots. Luckily he's still healthy going into next week. The first two run plays they ran looked like nobody knew the play. Liam had this very strange technique and set then the draw that no one seems to understand what was going on there. This team needs time on the grass to rep this stuff and not just walk throughs at full speed. And that's why I believe that they got things going after a little bit of a ramp up period in the first quarter of the game. The only time we played well on a short week, I mean, I guess technically the Buffalo game a couple of years ago that was a really good contest, was a short week, But it was Black Fria last year, and you played Tim Boyle in that game, So I don't really put a lot of stock into that, despite what I thought looked like some early game confusion that led to some of the penalties and negatives and simple stuff right like the exchange on that draw, for instance. But what was also pretty simple was the well they kept going back to, and that was that little fake toss sweep throw to the backside glance.
Speaker 1: What is the glance?
Speaker 2: There are variations of inbreaking routes. Right, the dig is the hard cut inside ninety degree cut. A post is where you take it up field and go towards the goalpost. A slant is a hard press upfield and then slant across the linebacker's face. A glance is like a mini skinny post. If that works for you, Like get behind the second level and just kind of like run a little bit down the seam and the quarterback pops the football right in your chest pad and they wrinkled off of that or showed wrinkles off of that off the fake glands and then came back to the front side dig to waddle. That's just a good job of creating an exploiting space in the middle of the football field and it was by far our most effective play of the entire night. We hit it with variations or that exact play five times in the game. Alec Ingold's long catch and run was a cool drop action by Tua, who tied to the run fake. He took his drop like a right handed quarterback, and then Alex collisioned the force defender that's the furthest outside edge defender, which got him to turn flat. He turned alec Ingole as a receiver into the flat naked, which means wide open. Nobody on him, and Tua found him at the numbers and the nearest defender to him on that play when he caught the football was the line who was at the hash mark. He catches at the line of scrimmage and rumbles for seventeen yards. And what's cool about that fake action is you see the linebacker who could have covered him turn and sprint vertical to the hook zone. He thinks that Alex is staying in protection. Really well designed play to get that wide open seventeen yard completion. And what do you know, after a couple of bonkers run plays, the first normal looking run scheme outside zone left goes for thirteen yards.
Speaker 1: You can go figure. They had a really.
Speaker 2: Cool concept on the big Wattle completion when it was fourteen zero. Tyreek runs a Cover two buster right between the two safeties. That's how you attack splitfield safeties, right. But when the defense runs the middle linebacker on a straight vertical drop, that is your classic Tampa two defense. Split the safeties run the backer down the pipe. That's what Derek Brooks used to do. That's what Brian Urlacker used to do, It's what Zach Thomas used to do. Then Wattle runs a dig right off of that eighteen yard indcut off that seam buster, who lifts the pipelinebacker who lifts the two high safeties and Tua has work. That first progression to the front side comes back to this longer developing secondary progression, because you want your original progression to open up quick your secondary progression to take longer. It's kind of how you build the timing of the passing game to make sure the quarterback can scan through his protections and play on time and on rhythm. And that works in this instance because of really good pass protection. Then he rips it right over the linebacker's head and right on the money. So there was plenty of like really cohesive, good looking plays in this game. After a big play to waddle, Hn gets hit for the six yard loss on jet sweep and I feel like that will garner the old they got too cute in that situation, and maybe you could say some of that, but they also scored a long touchdown to Malik Washington doing something similar against the Rams a few weeks back, a few weeks back. But the truth is is the packer's edge just played it really well. Sometimes other guys make plays where he's playing that backside contained. He doesn't take the cheese and follow the inside action because we ran a fake handoff to I think it was Moster on the inside. I'm not sure entirely. I'd have to go back and look, I'm not gonna do it live right now. But on that play, he just hangs out in his like five technique position, unblocked and just waits for a Chan to run right to him. I think the only option there for eight Chan is to try to angle upfield, but it's like two steps away from him at a full speed sprint, and he has to make that decision before you can blink. And if he stops, I do believe that edge which was Mosby, blows him up.
Speaker 1: So it's a tough spot there. He loses six yards.
Speaker 2: And I hated the next two plays because they essentially folded the tent or put up the tent, I should say, and fold it up shot because it was a screen to ma League Washington and then a check down to Raheem Moster. And on the Raheem Moster play they dropped eight and got pressure, So I'm not really sure what else you can do there. But the play design in general was basically saying, like this is a field goal drive. It looked like we ran more gap scheme and a couple of times I thought the Packers had us beat with their pre snap alignment, like running to the left side a gap, which is the gap between Brewer and Rob Jones. There's a one technique in there that's between those two players right off the outside shoulder of the center is the one technique, and Brewer climbs up to the linebacker, but Rob is out leverage and he can't turn him and he runs right downhill. The defensive tackle does unencumbered to the running back for a tackle for loss. And this run game has just been terrible the last three weeks, and I don't blame McDaniel for not calling on it because we can't execute it in a variety of ways. The vision I thought was bad. We'll talk about devon a Chan's night here in a second. I thought the blocking techniques were not great, and I think some of the calls stunk, like this one. It's a la carte bad and I want to get to this on the podcast later this week. But I think I have the solve for this offseason and teaser. It includes moving Tyreek and pivoting your offense to more of the traits that Tua has developed with his short game. Stay tuned for that later next week here on the podcast random Note, we had some slipping issues and it stood out to me on offense and defense, But the offensive one that really popped off to me was an end around to Raheem Moster when Aran Brewer tried to change directions and just went flying. I thought they'd created some pretty good intermediate throw options, and Tua hit a bunch of them, slam and glances and digs, but he also missed on three big ones we'll get to that here in one second that were pretty impactful in this game. And I keep getting asked about, like what happened to this base offense of yesteryear, and where are these deep shots and intermediate shots to Reagan Waddle? And you know, I kind of explained to on the show last week. I did the HQ breakdown showing you that these guys had open opportunities, but the balls going short to higher percentage throws. And this is why I think that you can make a philosophical change in the very near future next year, because we don't ask Reek and Waddle to win with their shake and suddenness in the quick game. They don't run quick game routes. That's not how this offense operates. We run them on wraps. Do you guys know what that means. It's where you basically take vertical releases vertical stems and you try to stretch that hook zone and then wrap your route around those guys. And most of the time their routes are coming off of like long stems where they can be on the move at full speed. So the possession and spot stuff is reserved for the other guys. Because Reakan Waddle's game is conducive to to lifting coverage and the way defenses play into that, we just keep taking the other stuff and so they get open sometimes on underneath throws, but we are not asking them to run those relief routes. That's reserved for John new Smith, for Devon a Cham, for the running backs, for you know, even a River Craycraft or a DRMS Like, it's for everybody else besides those two guys. So I guess that's how you change the offense if you want to get them more touches for the sake of getting them more touches. But there's just not like some secret code to opening routes fifteen plus yards down the field when teams are playing eighteen yard hook drops into you know, three high looks behind that. It is what it is. They can take away that part of the field. And those are the routes that Wreak and Waddle run Again, do you want to run hitch and flat and these routes to Waddle and Tyreek where those guys aren't tackle breakers? I mean, when was the last time you saw those guys like put a stiff farm on a guy and break a tackle. They run around people, and the best way to maximize that is to run ten plus yard routes and hit them on the move where they can then exploit safe he's in space and run past those guys. So you know, at that point, I think you can then say, all right, well where is the option to find one of those guys, because I think that's that's probably what Eric Azukama was supposed to be in some ways. I would say Malik Washington is probably supposed to be some of that as well. I won't put Obj in that category. He was more of a replacement I think on the perimeter for Reek or Wattle should they have gone down. But I look at someone like Jayden Reed, who was a mid round draft pick with speed and some skill to develop and some toughness to him, it would accomplish almost the exact same thing where he can help lift coverage and run those deeper routes and you don't have to pay you know, twenty eight million, thirty million dollars a year for it. And to continue that line of thinking, you know, I've you got to take your l sometimes, and I think one l that I can kind of hang I can take in this situation is I didn't really worry about rounding out your receiver call like a basketball team. I just thought, get the best players, and for someone like me, who's an absolute speed queen, I thought, get me more Reeks and Wattles. But I think I might concede that point at this point because the Packers have Dobbs and Wicks, who are both bigger players or you know, not super fast players. I should say the Niners have Juwan Jennings, who is is that how you say? Yeah, Jawan Jennings, who is an absolute demon blocking and being a possession guy off the perimeter for them. Deebo Samuel is not a super fast guy. He does a lot of the under these stuff as well. The rams, I mean one of their best guys is not a speed merchant in Cooper Cup. So not all of these teams off the Shanahan Tree have just speed guys. In fact, it's kind of just us. So I can see the argument for that, especially in a post Tyreek Hill world where you try to use you know him as a massive resource to help rebuild multiple other positions, because right now it's just not the juice ain't worth the squeeze in terms of what you're paying and the type of resources you could probably get back from that with how this offense operates and how I mean, the biggest complment you can play to a quarterback is the way teams defend us, or the Bills or the Chiefs. They're not gonna let us beat them deep. And so if they're not gonna do that like the Chiefs did, this is my whole point. I'm gonna put in the pods later. You don't need it then, not at that rate. You do need it, but you can do it for cheaper like Xavier Worthy does that. Hollywood Brown could have done that for them, like you can do it in cheaper ways. All right, put a pin in that we'll do on a show later. On this week or next week.
Speaker 1: So the goal to go.
Speaker 2: Plays that didn't work were both kind of doomed from the start, Guys falling down routes running directly into leverage.
Speaker 1: The third and fourth down.
Speaker 2: You know that everyone kind of got upset by down by sixteen points, a tough sequence. After the first down play got to the one yard bind and damn near scored. And on the second downplay Kendall Lamb just lost his block and got smoked. I wasn't a touchdown there, But you know, I think our true weakness as an offense the must throw a situation pass protection plays that kind of reared its head late, as as tends to happen in these blowout games. It happened in the Buffalo game, it happened in this one. It happened last year. Like it happens, you get bad communication, bad technique and lost blocks to a stack. Number starts to pile up and the game gets wonky. That's usually what happens when the Dolphins get behind late in these games. Let's talk about the quarterback. Let's go macro first. I'm gonna talk about two from a macro perspective. We'll take a break and then do his game breakdown and comb through all the micro Nothing about this game moved the needle one way or the other for me. On the quarterback, the argument is big moments, you know, the one drive where they had to have it. He missed two throws and I thought he was late on a third miss to OBJ, so that's three misses and they were chunk plays.
Speaker 1: So that's not good.
Speaker 2: And that's why I agree he wasn't as good as his statlane would tell you. And I put a post up on Blue Sky the kind of graded each of his games this year, and I had this game. I think I had it as a seven along with Arizona. That's where this game kind of ranked for me in terms of his overall production. I had two games of the perfect ten, the game at Buffalo and the game home for New England. The Raiders game was a nine, the Rams game was a six, and then I think Jacksonville was a four, and I believe Buffalo was a two. So I kind of showed you how I felt each game went for Tua, and this one was, you know, on the upper side of his It wasn't the best performance, but it was like kind of middle of the pack for him, which which is above average if you ask me. But it's still this. The tape is still this. He's the adult in the room. He's a professional. He's prepared, he's got great knowledge of the way defenses react and how they want to attack, and he has total command of his system and what his system does.
Speaker 1: None of that change in this tape.
Speaker 2: He played that way for I don't know eighty percent of the game, but the other twenty percent were those misses, and then a trait that is not uncharacteristic to him because those misses were came up in some big spots. So he was I thought elite, stepping through pressure, attacking the line of scrimmage and layering those intermediate throws right on the money.
Speaker 1: Naw Chef's kiss. It was beautiful.
Speaker 2: But when he has to break contain on an edge that has the angle, that has the contain that hasn't gotten sunk too far inside, crossing face to the tackle, and contains their outside post, he's not doing that. That's not in his repertoire. I can live with that, but I can't live with it when you peel back and retreat further away and give yourself nine eleven yard sacks. That's the type of stuff that made me disavow Zach Wilson as a prospect and said, why do you guys care about this proday stuff?
Speaker 1: Go watch this BYU tape. It's terrible.
Speaker 2: And why I don't buy the hype on Caleb Williams. Neither of those guys knew how to play the position from a quarterback standpoint, and Williams I think still can develop that, but that's a different discussion. We cannot have these seven, eight, nine, ten yard sacks. It's going to kill a drive step up and if it muddies, then we lose three yards when you get sacked, right because you're attacking the lane of scrimmage.
Speaker 1: Whatever.
Speaker 2: I'll take that trade off for the explosives that we're getting as a result to when he does find space when he steps up to operate from because he's ripping some of those shots for eighteen twenty yard games down the field. But that's the root of Tua's primary issue that still remains in his game and really the only one that I think that he still holds control over that he can write. And that's like kind of the last step for me. The final boss if you will. He's never going to be a top RPM guy. He's not going to rip the ball of revolutions more than anybody else. He's not going to be a running quarter and that is totally fine. Most of the greats were not those things. But if we can mitigate the lack of willingness to give up on a play both for the yardage sake and the sake of our health of our quarterback, then I think we can say that he's fully developed and will help nudge him into that category that exists right behind Mahomes, Alan, Lamar, and Burrow, which to me are the top four quarterbacks. And actually I'll put Stafford in there as well, so those the top five quarterbacks. And he might be falling back into this category more, but I'm not going to take him out just because of a few games this year. But either way, that next category is GoF Love, Purty Murray, Herbert Stroud, and Hurtz, and that's sort of my non to ranking, and if I slot him in based on that, I mean it's the goth Love and Murray category or part of the territory top part of that second tier and the too long didn't read on why that is. You guys know the common threat in those quarterbacks, right, It's the ability to play the position. It's the one trait they all excel at a high, high level with. And if he had better physical traits, he would be in that elite category. It's the one thing that keeps him out of that category. For me, I have never once put him in that position because I don't think he does have elite physical traits. And you have to knock that at some point, even if you're like me and you think it's a very very deep secondary trait to have as a quarterback. And the last thing I'll say is, I don't think the results define Tua in terms of wins and losses, isolate his play, and he is not regressing in these spots. He has a collection of games in cold weather, on the road, primetime, YadA, YadA, yad check him off the blot whatever. Some of them are very good, right, the Buffalo games that we've talked about twenty two in this year. Some are good, some are just decent like the Rams game. Some are not so good, like every single quarterback has those different levels of games. Again, Buffalo was the same, and he was he was absolute nails the same game in the twenty two season, now the twenty one Titans game or the rookie year twenty twenty Buffalo game, abject disasters right last night, somewhere in between all of that, closer to a better version, but not his best. We good, all right, cool, Let's go ahead and take a break right there, come back and talk more to a to a talk tie. We'll also do the rest of the offense and the defensive film review here on the Draft Time podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by Auto Nation. I just felt like it was a good spot there to have a bit of a tua dialogue as more of a big picture thought on his game. I didn't want to do on the show on Friday night or Friday morning because I felt the tape had to be watched, had to be grinded to a pulp to get that take for you guys. Let's go ahead and continue to go and talk about the micro this game itself. So the first sack that he ran into was was rough, terrible. Actually, I don't know what he was thinking on that play. He had a great pocket and he ran himself right into the sack. Nothing was really open, but I think if he gave it another beat, he would have had wabble for a tough layered throw behind the hook at like twenty five yards and that sack will go to Toront Armstead, but it's totally one's fault. Or actually no it won't because it was negated by off sides, but still it's on the tape. Watching Tua go through his progressions is the best treat you can ask for as a quarterback evaluator. And like this concept that the quick game system is the only way that he could excel. Like, dude, put this guy in Detroit and he would at minimum give you exactly what Jared Goff has given the lines right now. The way he plays from a clean pocket is untouchable. It's the best the entire National Football League. The way the vision is tied to pump fakes and the body action that sells the idea the ball is going to go to where he's gonna pump or try to influence you.
Speaker 1: You can see these.
Speaker 2: Zone defenders reacting to him very very dramatically, both pre and post snap. With all the stuff that he does, he's so good at clearing windows and why I think he is the pre eminent player in the league from a clean pocket, and it fits so well with what Mike McDaniel wants to do right. Deception designed to create overplay and then play against the flow of that overplay. All those mechanics being hardwired together makes him so difficult to play because if you jump something, chances are you've taken the cheese he wants you to and done exactly, and move exactly because he wants you to, and the ball is going to go right to that spot that you've just vacated, and even if you don't move more than a step, he's throwing it right when you move, so that you cannot get momentum back in the direction to react and get a hand on the football and then just to hone in on the micro he's reading the defense. But then you have to be able to understand where the timing of the play and how it's broken down when you move off the spot, for instance, where it's put receivers in relationship to their route with your footwork, and the way you see his helmet stripe move from the defender to his target, and then how quick the succession is on that throw bang bang bang, It's so quick.
Speaker 1: It's such a treat to watch.
Speaker 2: Man. I really do enjoy watching this quarterback on tape. He's pretty special. Delay of game that hasn't happened in a while, but I will always go back to the quarterback for that. So I'm kind of like, what the hell was that? To a I reference the Tampa two beater in the general column and the offense. Another example of Tua's progression play is he pumps to one side and a linebacker reacts and vacates space, and then all in one motion, Tua's head comes back to the backside to locate Wattle while he's throwing while the motion to throw the football begins, so he's so in tuned to how it moves and how you know, like how it looks. He walks in the putt, meaning you know, before the ball falls in the cup, he's walking it down the field, meaning that he threw the ball and started walking towards the first down marker before Wattle caught the football, because he already knows that's where the next huddle is going to occur. I like it when he gets to the last progression, it's covered and he climbs to the lion scrimmage, and that's when he's seeing it the best. We saw that a few times in this game. I also get so tired of the arm strength argument because go watch the Raheem Mostert fourteen yard play up the sideline. It's classic cover to the cornerback bumps Raheem and turns him free and the safety and it's the boundary so it's the short side, so he's closer to that side. Reacts as to is throwing the football, which is anticipatory because he cuts it loose before the underneath zone corner has even turned hem from So if you want to bait Tua, you could try it. It's the only way you're gonna get him. But he's so quick at seeing the stuff that if you don't bait him, you have no chance. And the ball splits both he and the half field safety. It's this tiny, tiny window that he drills, and he does it so frequently. I think the Tyreek miss at the end of the first half was an example of when you're just one step off in this offense, it can make misses look really bad. What I see is the packer rotation into cover three and Tua throws the ball with Tyreek three yards away from even clearing the curl flat defender, and it looks like Tyreek takes one hard step inside and maybe to a thought he was going to just kind of keep it skinny up the post. And you know, Tyreek has told me so many times in press conferences, I ran the wrong route.
Speaker 1: I didn't know the play. I forgot the play.
Speaker 2: So like when I know that inherently going in, my initial reaction is to blame Tyreek, even if I don't know the result. That's my inclination. And that's kind of the place to attack on this look. When they're in deep third, you want to split those two safeties and you can throw it, you know, horizontally, which is not an issue either, but splitting those guys puts Tyreek on a path to split them for a touchdown, not just a twenty yard play, just different pages on that one step and the ball is on the back shoulder. And it's a shame because it was a chunk play for the offense. I did think two was high on the next one to Devon e Chan, I felt he might have had a chance to you know, hold it for a chan to clear the second window, which didn't have the underneath backer, which I thought forced the throw to go high. But that's so easy for me to say, and I'll say it, well, I'm sitting here eating chips. I'm not eating chips. Another deal. This is a third and third and three to open the second half. You worked so hard to put yourself in a third and short situation, and because you can't get the snap off, it turns right back into a tee off pass situation for the Packers. And then that led to the last miss. I thought he had to Odell Beckham Junior, who was open on that eighteen yard bread and butter dig rap, but we were a bit behind, a symptom of being just one hitch late with the football. In my opinion, I feel like these you know, the bad these last few plays has way down the earlier good. But it turned around beginning on the very next drive. The fourth down completion of Johnny Smith was a thing of beauty. Hits the top of his drop, eyes down the field, senses pressure and delivers a strike to keep us alive in the game at that point. Then the rip to waddle on our coolest design where he faked the toss, faked the screen and then threw that dig to seventeen that rhymes. Those throws and a collection of other plays really tell me that this cold weather thing is more perception for him, for him, not the Dolphins, but for him than anything else. The elements did not affect the way the ball came off of his hand. That's what you're looking for and talking about, like, is he affected by this now? It did in Kansas City in that game last year negative twenty five degrees. It did not against the Packers at you know, twenty degrees whatever it was. I mean, look at the throw in the two point conversion play. That's an insane throw from your quarterback. The biggest game on those fake toss digs we were running was when Tua got pressures and drove up off of his spot with urgency and threw the ball to Tyreek on the move, an absolute dot, not to the connected to the ground. Big time throw there. I just thought the concept really illustrated a lot of twish traits his ball handling, his accuracy, his timing, and anticipation with a little bit of creativity mixed in there. And then the third and sixth conversion to Obj the slant against the cover zero when he was hot, he knows he's gonna get drilled. He reads that cover zero look and throws it before Obj's out of the break, balls right there, takes a huge hit, moves the sticks. So yeah, I thought TWOA played a seven out of ten in this game. Some really three throws took it from a ten because he was playing really well outside of those plays and then the one kind of couple bonehead sacks, but some of those late sacks that the game was already over and we're in true dropback situations and the coverage is good. So it's basically the chan tyreek and OBJ throws that I'm harping on that knock him because those were big misses in the game, and that's why he gets a seven for me out of ten in the grading department Individual standouts Offensively, I thought alec Ingold had a three play sequence and he didn't play many snaps, so this is why he gets in here. He makes two catches for twenty yards and then just obliterates contained defender the forced defender on a thirteen yard devon eight chan run. John new Smith sort of exemplifies so many things about the way this offense has evolved. The Shanahan offense has always top players to catch you, and then you get north and south and you remove the ability of the pursuit defenders to find you. When you do that, you just split defenders and get upfield. And he gets upfield in a hurry and guys just bounce off of him. He's so dependable. Him and Tua are on the same page on those quick hookup throws that look so easy when they can sometimes lead to tips and mistakes if you're not linked up. I do have to acknowledge the personal foul though, and the false start on the opening drive, like come on, big dog, But another big day for him forty nine catches in five hundred and seventy yards in his last seven games. I love the way he paces himself into soft spots and zone coverage where he kind of can throttle down and speed up at the right times. He's the true definition of a guy that understands zone coverage. As a pass catcher. I thought Rob Jones had the best game on the offensive line. Some of his losses I thought were alignment and leverage based, which I can't really fault him for that. He has a great block on the eight Chan touchdown catch and run. I thought he had good passpro for the most part and got the most surge in the running game throughout the course of the night.
Speaker 1: And then waddle.
Speaker 2: I thought he made some really tough catches, especially that two point conversion.
Speaker 1: What a great play that was.
Speaker 2: He continues to just bust his button block well and again, I really hope he's the receiver one next year. That's kind of where I'm leaning towards this this entire thing. I like the way that he is competing through this dip and production as well. It shows you kind of what he's all about right now. The misses, there were plenty of these Devon eight Chan, and he makes me feel like I'm a bad evaluator sometimes because I mostly wanted to give him a million touches because he's special. But then he has some of these bad vision plays where he takes the wrong track, and that compounds the lack of forward lean that makes me think we just need to have a little more from a secondary running back. And that was Raheem until the fumbles change that and the last thing on Devon, or maybe not the last thing, but I think the lack of patience or rather practice time hurts him as much as anybody else. I know, he's a young guy that is, you know, enjoying you know, South Florida. But then he does things like catching a checkdown and cutting it against the grain for fourteen yards. So it's hard for me to get too mad. Just give him a one B and that's to me to solve. And the more I got through this tape, the more I just hated his decisions. I thought his vision was, you know, bad decision on the on the big loss and the jet sweep, a bad decision on the first play of the next drive. He had a possible touchdown on a screen that was down in the red zone as well. Just not his best vision game in this one. I thought Kendall Lamb has been getting his butt handed to him the last few weeks. Bordering on disaster. He's getting no movement in the running game whatsoever, and his true passts have been bad also, Like I mean Aaron Moseby getting a pressure on you on a three man rush, dropping eight and the coverage and he dog walks you on third and long, a third and long goal, I should say like come on, dude, And then that's you know, that's that play. Shut down immediately stuff because you ate and coverage, you can't lose that block. To me, it's time for Patrick Paul. If we're going to sacrifice pass protection, we might as well get someone who can, you know, displace the line of scrimmage running game in a lot of ways. That game was lost when he couldn't hold his block on the second and goal run that got stuffed at twenty seven to eleven. That's a walk in touchdown if he does not slip off of that block. I thought Aaron Brewer had like his second bad game of the year. I think a lot of the help that Liam had to peel off and give Kendall put Aaron in some one on one spots versus bigger defensive tackles like Kenny Clark and DeVante Wyatt. On third and one, Raheem has a negative run where Brewer got walked back and it allowed the linebacker to shoot through and make that tackle.
Speaker 1: So not his best night.
Speaker 2: Tea Stead, you know, I can't even say it was injury aid because they made some bad reason a couple of plays, and some of those probably weren't his fault. Maybe they were, I'm not sure. But there's a third and eight with four to play in the first half. It's a fourteen to three game. If we convert that, maybe it's different, you know. And it's a huge, huge mist assignment. T Stead signals to Raheem like I thought you were gonna chip help never got there. He releases into the route. It's a walk in the park sec for Inogbray. I can't say that guy's name. And then the league obviously the punt the dropped the end of the first half. He just look a little bit slower on some screens rough night for him. Snap counts, your left tackle through right guard played the distance, so did the quarterback. Kendall Lamb played three quarters, Patrick Paul played one quarter. Waddle played ninety two percent, Reek eighty percent, moleak. This drop off is consistent every week now thirty eight percent, Obj played twenty percent and great Craft thirteen percent, John New seventy two percent. And this is where I thought maybe you'd see a little bit more because Durham played, or rather Julian Hill played thirty four, Durham played twenty percent, Ingle played twenty five. You think in these games, with the more running game opportunities you might get more tight ends and backs, but didn't go that way. And then run eight chan sixty nine percent nice most are thirty five percent, and then both Right and Wilson got one carry a piece, So those guys are that backfield split seems to be pretty set and stone at this point with how it's going to go the rest of the way. All right, let's go ahead and take our last break right there. Come back on the other side and to the Defense Set's next Draft Time podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by Auto Nation. Okay, Defense, First off, want to go ahead and shout out Chris Kaufman on I think it was Blue Sky, maybe Twitter as well, but he talked about the Dolphins having tired legs. I just wanted to agree with that entire thread, and I thought it was really well put out or thought out and written out there on those social media sites to go check him out. I feel like we played pretty damn good football on the first two series of the game. The game plan, you know, early was pretty clearly to me to run games up front with slants and twists and stunts and all that fun stuff, which tracks with what I covered on the preview show. Given their many offensive line combinations, now they have settled into this one, going with Sean Ryan at right guard over Jordan Morgan, and we attacked him successfully on three of the first six plays of the game, quite frankly, a Campbell run stuff and a Zach pressure on the first drive you know, the would be sack fum that was overturned. Then Benito had a stack and shed on him at the goal line right before the touchdown play. The first two were games and the third was Benito just winning out and out. But we got negative plays, we got pressure, we held up against the run, and the only really positive play that Packers had through the first six plays of the game. They did have a Jacob's run on the first and goal play that was nice, but we stack up the second down play, and really the most effective play they had was just an insanely good throw by Jordan Love to read on the outside. If that ball is a foot further inside, it's a ninety nine yard pick six by Storm Duck, who I honestly thought covered it as well as he could. Because they got Jaden Reid, who has a really good burst out of his brakes, they were able to isolate him in a one on one situation where he's able to square up Storm Duck and have a two way go from there. And he ran right with re on that play, but it was a perfect throw just out of his reach for a touchdown. They had some really well timed calls, man like, Lafleur is pretty damn good at this right he's one of the best coaches in the league. They had a Tucker Craft chip release screen called on a play where Chopp was going to peel back into coverage on his sim pressure look, and all that did was allow the offensive line to climb further downhill on him, and just really well timed and kind of lucky for you know, to be honest with you. They ran some two man flat rubs at the right time against pressure looks and short yards to create some easy completions for Jordan Love. They went after our areas of substitution, be it with injuries or just you know, rotating guys up front in and out of the lineup for Campbell and Seedler. I still love our ability to get to unique coverages from different looks, Like there was a play that was quarter quarter half, which is a variation of cover six, or it can be where you know your deep coverage is a quarter of the field, a quarter of the field, and then another player has half of the field and deep and three deep with Ramsey, Cater and Holland, and I think you can withstand the loss of one of our three very versatile cornerbacks speaking of Ramsey, Coho and Fuller. But suddenly, you know, those veteran, multifaceted players go from three down to one when Cohu gets hurt. And no knock on the young guys, but there's no way they have the same knowledge and experience as a two nine year Vets and a third year player. In general, I thought our pass rush just looked tired, like, which is pretty pretty common symptom of playing on the road on a short week, especially when the fourth quarter of the game on Sunday played out the way it did against the Patriots. On some reps with four rushers, you would see our initial move just kind of like like kind of you know, lean into the block and then not really have any type of secondary move or really even you know, leg drive to try to push the block backwards, just kind of like give up and hope if the quarterback scrambled.
Speaker 1: I can get off this block and make the play.
Speaker 2: But there's a reason when the schedule came out that this was a game you pointed out and said, that's probably the toughest game on the entire twenty four Dolphins schedule.
Speaker 1: I bet you know, as most fans do.
Speaker 2: You go, you get the schedule, you go win, win, lost, law, that's a win four wins right there. I would venture to guess this game was the most frequently picked l by Dolphins fans doing that exercise back in April or May or whenever the hell of schedule comes out. And to this point, the Packers run game clicked when we made our line changes. You know, ninety two and ninety three got breathers. They blocked Neil Ferrell to Sheboygan, Wisconsin on the first rep of the game at twelve yard Jacob's run. So that's been consistent all year long. You have to have at least one of Sealer or Campbell on the field otherwise things get dicey pretty quick. And I still believe that af Seiler had played both the Arizona and Buffalo games, we would have won both of those games. Contrasting, I think it's It's like a yard at one point eight yards per carry better when one of those guys is off the field for the opposing offense. And I think we would have those two extra wins had seeler and not got poked in the freaking eye man this season, I tell you what I think the way they blocked us on the perimeter, tracked with the missed tackles like they would they hit this end around to Jaden Reid. I think in the second quarter where both Christian Watson and Tucker Craft drove Javon Holland and Cam Smith ten yards off the football and they never got off the blocks even after the whistles echoed, and then we missed two tackles to afford him ten more yards. It's a tough, tough way to make a living, you know. I feel like these allegations of cold and checked out kind of starts with twenty one, and you know, maybe eight and twenty four a couple of guys that fit that mold as well.
Speaker 1: That's what this tape showed me.
Speaker 2: Anyways, sometimes really good players make really good plays too, like the deep ball from Love to Watson on Storm Duck.
Speaker 1: It's such a tough assignment.
Speaker 2: Man, They're like, he gets single coverage, and I thought he was in pretty good shape. But Watson is a pretty damn good player for a reason. He had a last second acceleration to kind of run through the football and get that second gear and Jordan Love through it in a really good spot to allow him to separate.
Speaker 1: At the catch point. Tip of the cap to those guys for that play.
Speaker 2: So some bad alignments, some well time plays against our calls, some really bad tackling, some high level plays by a damn good offense and a good quarterback, and that's how they were able to control the game on that side of the football. If you ask me individually, I thought Ramsey stood out in a big way. I've got I've got five guys this week on the standouts list. It's pretty short defensively, who goes there? Sorry, I'm doing this podcast from home. Ramsey is here every single week for good reason.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: I mentioned the coverage versatility that we have through our multi skilled cornerbacks, but you watch the way that he can cover routes with vertical stems that can threat to break in either direction or work back down the stem or go vertical for the long ball. His ability to cover all those different break opportunities and flip his hips without losing acceleration allows him to get in position to funnel the route to where he wants to go and then jump where that route goes. It's like so impressive the way he moves, you know, nine years into his career, shows no signs of slowing down. In my opinion, Zach Seeler, It's funny to watch him because I saw a bad rep on the second drive where he got washed out, and it stands out because you never see it. I saw him lose his feet when he tried to put him in the ground for the anchor on that second drive, and like, whoa, Zach got displaced.
Speaker 1: That never happens.
Speaker 2: But then like the next ten reps or him, you know, splitting a double team, holding the point against double team in the running game, getting knocked back, hitting the corner back to the ground. What a special player he shows up every single week. Quintin Bell continues to really impress me with his work in these small sample sizes. I think he's showing you more as a good edge run defender, and I think he's playing that curl flat drop that he gets like three or four times a game each week, really really well. We've seen him get home on a few pass rushers over the last month or so as well, so Quinton Bell might be something there to develop further in the future. Jordan Brooks I thought played downhill with control and beat blocks and was anticipatory had TFLs was hitting the quarterback a couple of times. He was by far the most in tune back seven player I thought we had in this game. A lot of those run stops we did have were led by by him in the middle. Barito Jones had a really solid couple of weeks here more run game penetration and pass rush, but the misses were a vast Emmanuel ogbaugh Man, those legs were tired, brother. I mean the rush opportunities where he's basically just you know, engaging and then being like, all right, where you gonna go, Jordan, I'm gonna stay right here and hang out and wait for you. He also had a tackle opportunity three minutes to go in the half second and two behind the line of scrimmage where it's fourteen to three and Jacobs breaks that tackle and goes for twenty yards. You got to make these plays in these games, Javon Holland, he just came off of two really good games. I thought, so I don't want to go too far in terms of, like, you know what's going on there, but what is going on there? Because I remember him like coming downhill and laying out Devin Duvernet in that Baltimore game in twenty twenty one, or like his first rep against the Patriots when he up ended the John hus Smith for a forced fumble, flashing hoog zones and forcing quarterbacks a double clutch and then rushing the quarterback and making sex Like everything that's not at the line of scrimmage to me looks a beat slower, the hesitation to make a hit, to jump into a passing lane.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: It looks like a different player to me in that regard, But I do like the way he's playing down the box at this point of his career. Tyrrel Dotson. He tried to sink and stack a few times as a linebacker and scrape off of those plays and just kept getting glued to blocks. The way he got him down on the third and four from the high red zone on a Josh Jacob's fourteen yard run was really really bad. He got picked off by his own man. Plus he got shook to the shadow realm on that big Jacob's catch and run. It's a tough ask for your first start in this game in a short week. But one thing I was looking for was, you know how certain guys played into contact situations or the way that they would approach the pile when things got stacked up, Like Elijah Campbell came flying in and jumped on top of the pile, like, Okay, that's the guy that wants it.
Speaker 1: He was kind of patty Cake in it.
Speaker 2: Dotson was which I thought would be the opposite of what we get, given how pissed off he was that these Hawks cut him free. That to me was like David Long gets the Cardinals bag. I just don't get Neil Ferrell believe it that Jordan Poyer, I mean wide receivers drive this guy to Sheboygan like their mulling guards, mauling guards, mulling guards. On the Packers second touchdown drive back to back plays, he got displaced a combined five gaps. I kind of laughed about that, and then Cam Smith, I am rapidly moving towards this ain't gonna work territory. I mean, besides his rookie camp. It's it hasn't been good. Like there's never one thing to point back to him, like, oh, that was pretty good. He's grabby down the field. He's not playing fast and with confidence. His tackling is a liability on the completion he allowed where he got hit for DPI. Everything else on that play was sharp, and it shows you that all it takes is one missed to Simon or one filled coverage to make things happen the way they did. All right snap counts, the safeties, Ramsey and Dotson all went the distance. Elijah Campbell did play nine snaps at safety, Jordan Brooks miss I think it was three snaps in the game, and Duke Riley played those those extra snaps that he missed Storm Duck ninety two percent, a career high for him. So ran Neil played one third of the snaps. I played a fifth in snaps. Cater Coo who played just like two snaps less than cam So right in that same ballpark after getting hurt, Ogbag gave you eighty percent, Chop sixty six percent, Quentin Bell forty two So Quentin Bell's rep count keeps going up here. Seeler played eighty percent, Bonito played sixty four percent. His has been going up a lot. Kalay is fifty eight percent, Deshan Han thirty eight percent, and then Neil Farrell gave you four snaps in the game. My top five tapes, I thought Jordan Brooks was the best player on the field for the Dolphins.
Speaker 1: I liked alec Ingold number two.
Speaker 2: I had Zach Steeler coming in at third, John hus Smith at number four, and Tua Tongue I Loa was my fifth top tape for the Dolphins in this game. Subscribe, rate review, follow me on social, fish Tank podcast, YouTube for Dolphins, HQ, Miami Dolphins dot com.
Speaker 1: Caroline Cameron Daddy's Coming Home