Speaker 1: Are you leaving?
Speaker 2: I you wanna way back home? Either way, we want to be there.
Speaker 1: Doesn't matter how much baggage you claim and give us time and a termino and gay.
Speaker 2: We want to send you off in style. We wanna welcome you back home. Tell us all about it.
Speaker 1: We scared her? Was it fine? Malborn?
Speaker 2: Do you need to ride?
Speaker 1: Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride?
Speaker 2: Do you need to ride?
Speaker 1: Do your need do you ride?
Speaker 2: Ride with Karen and Chris? Welcome to Do you need to ride? This is Chris Fairbanks and this is Karen Kilgareff.
Speaker 3: We, contrary to what you might think, because there have been episodes, have not seen each other since November.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 3: Oh shit, this is the longest we've we've not seen each other. Well, I guess there's COVID, but at least there was zoom correspondence, which back then was normal. It's very abnormal for us to have not seen each other this long. We have to we get to know each other.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true. We should, definitely, we should get curious about each other's personalities. How was your holiday break?
Speaker 3: It was great. I went to Montana to New York I came back and the.
Speaker 2: City was on fire. So that was the Yeah, it was.
Speaker 1: It was did you get to see them from the plane? The fires?
Speaker 2: I did not know to even look for them. But no, it was like the next day it's oh good, got it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, those but those winds. Did you have to land in those winds?
Speaker 3: And it was terrifying, Yeah, a lot of I saw a flight attendant.
Speaker 1: Hover oh up in the air and not come back down.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it very much looked like a magic trick and there was, but it was weightlessness for a.
Speaker 2: Minute, Jesus for a second.
Speaker 1: Christ.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she did not have a poker face about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was like what in the.
Speaker 3: Her eyes went a ruga and uh and yeah we we were not. Everyone kind of panicked. But it was right before landing. It's always like right before you land. But it was a wind based I don't think it's even turbulence when it's just clearly wind.
Speaker 2: That is just Yeah, it was scary.
Speaker 1: It is. It was scary on the ground. It was got up to like eighty miles an hour. It was crazy. Shit blew down. It was just kind of like unbelievable. But then of course, like the fires somebody because somebody I was talking to somebody and they're like, I'm not sure if I'm gonna come into the office today because the wind. And I didn't know anything out. I didn't know about any of the fires had started. I didn't know anything else. So I was just like, Oh, yeah, you're gonna not come in because of the wind. That's interesting. And I just kind of didn't say anything because I was like, well, and then of course it was like, Oh, what's happening. What are you talking about? And then it was like, oh, we're just basically getting served up for a massive disaster everyone can see coming. Yeah.
Speaker 3: There's always these times where I'm where, especially after a trip, I'm like, I don't want to look at my phone for just a day. What's the harm in that? But you just can't do that anymore. No, And I did the same thing. I was not looking at my phone, and then all of a sudden, I'm getting messages are you okay?
Speaker 2: And I'm like, huh.
Speaker 3: And the only thing that was updating us is a independently run app.
Speaker 2: Called watch Duty, a nonprofit.
Speaker 3: A nonprofit and that should be monitored by some government agency, you would think, but it's just some guy.
Speaker 1: Well, I think women are definitely involved. And I know for a fact that the creators lived in Santa Rosa, which is a town above Penaluma that like about four years ago there was really horrible wildfires that swept through at three am and killed all these people in their beds, and basically the people that created.
Speaker 2: Watch Duty were in the community.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure if they were directly affected, but basically it was because they're like, people need to know when these fires are there, when they are coming, like, needs to be a warning system that is not your neighbor's wildly pounding on your door at three am, which is the only thing that saved people in those Santa as a wildfire.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the nineteen eighties knock on the door.
Speaker 1: And I have to say this, my sister and I talked about it because so my sister during that time they heard about all that. Then the fires were coming down from the north and over from the east, So my sister was in this position at one point where she was waiting for She's literally watching the hill to see if the fire was going to make it over to basically her neighborhood. So there was one that way and then there they knew that there was the one that had just gone out from the north from the north, so it was like stress beyond belief. And she got in my ear like the day that I evacuated, because she was like, you got to make sure your car's charge, get your go back. She was like getting me ready even before she knew where any of the fires were because she was so traumatized by what they went through simply by trying to be prepared. So she was trying to prepare me. And then around five but I went into a full like doesn't matter, nothing's going to happen. And then my assistant Jay called and he had already evacuated because he was on the west side near the Palisades fire. He texted me and goes, you need to get out now. There's because there was at one point four fires around me and so it's like a little horn around my home. And he was like, get out now, get out before everybody else tries to get out. And that is the recommendation for something like that, because I think people stay to either fight for their material possessions or because they're embarrassed. They don't want to like panic and run, and it's like, why not just get out before there's insane traffic and people are like, you know, before you're stuck.
Speaker 3: In the saddest thing is old people that maybe aren't looking at their phones right and they're getting last minute notices and it's too late.
Speaker 2: The fires were going so quickly. It was just so scary. So you did leave town?
Speaker 1: I did?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yep, I did twice.
Speaker 3: I still have belongings in my car, and it's hilarious when given twenty minutes, what I will grab that I think is important. I grabbed art from college bin of old art.
Speaker 2: I'm like, well, I spent a long time on this.
Speaker 3: I left like my mom's ashes because the damage that's done there and we've already done things with the ashes. I'm not making light of ash spreading, but there's just leftovers and I but I did stare at it for a second, like shure, I bring that right.
Speaker 2: My passport in case I want to go on a vacation.
Speaker 3: You could and a snowboard that I got for free, but it's worth my I brought a snowboard and put it in my car. I'm terrible at compartmentalizing what is important.
Speaker 1: Well, we literally should have like a file folder so that it's it's one grab for that kind of stuff. That's literally one of the things my sister told me that I completely ignored.
Speaker 2: I was.
Speaker 1: I sadly found myself grabbing a lot of power chords and chargers, as if I was going to go somewhere that wouldn't have power or something like I was going to a hotel and it's like, you'll be fine, just plug in the one and you'll be fine. But I brought like options of chords and it was weird. It was a very odd. I think it was just things in front of me that I was like, could this help me later? And then like one thing off of like a shelf that was from my childhood.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, replaceable photos I think you're supposed to bring, but I don't have those. They were lost long ago when someone moved into my mom's house as a rental. Long story, but.
Speaker 1: Long story that I bet it is kind of sad. At the end, it was nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, everything I start talking about, I'm like, ah, this one has another.
Speaker 1: Sad one's a real twist down.
Speaker 2: This one has an animal in it. No, yeah, I can't. I can't. So many stories. I have to stop.
Speaker 1: That's well, that's where we send people over to your blog. Read Chris's tragic animal story today. Yes, he has it all written out for you.
Speaker 2: Yes, I am, I'm I'm such a blogger.
Speaker 3: I love sharing bad news and this is not the place for it.
Speaker 2: People come here to get cheered up.
Speaker 1: Yes, we have to provide that or maybe sometimes your feel I need stories actually give them perspective of Right, Hey, we're all on a clock here, let's really make the most of it. Let's be good to each other.
Speaker 2: And cats.
Speaker 1: You never know what a cat is dealing with.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's why I've told that story fifteen times, is because each every other time it's uplifting.
Speaker 1: I just realized something. I wonder if you'll relate to this. I've started to use a new lip balm because I need to use lip balm with SPF in it.
Speaker 2: Mm hm.
Speaker 1: So I will get a cold store in the sun and you can yep, and you can't. I can't use just anyone because they sometimes have a terrible SPF taste. Some of them don't. This one really does. This one I put on right before we.
Speaker 3: Left the office, and it's and it's it. Yeah, my lip bomb has deet in it.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't want these chemicals.
Speaker 2: I know it's near me.
Speaker 3: No, you're just sometimes you just gotta be like our grandmas and put a little vasse lain on your lips. Just cup your hand, grab a nice heap in amount and just slather it over your face.
Speaker 1: Get a scoop.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: It's from petroleum. Don't worry about it.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's probably flammable.
Speaker 1: Is it could be?
Speaker 3: Is petroleum jelly flammable? Could I put a wick in it?
Speaker 1: I'm gonna we're gonna have to throw this back to analis.
Speaker 2: Who does little science experiments, who knows all these things as we demand it.
Speaker 1: If you put can you look that up? Do you mind? Onalise? If you put a wick into a handscoop of vassili, yes, it has to be hand scooped handscoop.
Speaker 2: If you did that before the holidays.
Speaker 3: I went to a birthday party my girlfriend partner.
Speaker 2: It is not flammable.
Speaker 4: Jelly is not flammable, but if heated to extremely high temperatures of more than four hundred degrees, it may give off flammable vapors.
Speaker 1: At that point, when isn't everything?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was gonna say right, Yeah, I think that could be a piece of glass at some point becomes quite flammable. But I'm not gonna experiment with it at home. I'm trying to think of what. I always get these Instagram videos. They're like, hey, are you a survivalist, Here's how you make a candle? And I don't absorb the information. I find it interesting. I sometimes like it to later review it and then I forget what it was. Yeah, but I haven't been camping in oh a decade.
Speaker 1: Well get on it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know I want to.
Speaker 3: I bought a tent, I have a sleeping pad. I have a solar flashlight.
Speaker 1: I have a brink radio.
Speaker 3: All things I didn't put in my car when I abandoned my place. Why would you? Why would I? They were right there next to the car in the garage. Here are actually survivalist items. Yeah, let me leave it behind.
Speaker 1: Because it's not that's not the way your brain is moving.
Speaker 2: Like.
Speaker 1: And also I was like, I have to I need to get out of here, and I need to, like I think I already I've put most comics already, like Live kind of Light. I don't know a lot of comics that are like right, because you were always gone. It makes you kind of come home and look at your stuff and be like, why is all this shit on the counter?
Speaker 3: Well, I've become good at packing, have you, but for a.
Speaker 2: Comedy out of town?
Speaker 3: So when it's like take what's only necessary, I did bring four pairs of socks, four pairs of underwear, two pairs of pants. It's like, I'm not going to go do stand up somewhere, right, what am I doing?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 1: And also did you leave? And then you were just like I don't know how long I'm gonna be gone?
Speaker 2: Right? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Was that what fire was near you? Altadnik was coming towards it.
Speaker 3: It was just and I nothing compared to That's why I feel even embarrassed.
Speaker 2: That I was that worried.
Speaker 3: But there was a warning of this undulating it was there, and then it wasn't there. This warning line that was like the stage one, which was just.
Speaker 2: Be aware, yes, and that was enough for me.
Speaker 3: The reason I got out of town is houses when they melt, it's plastic, it's asbestos, it is lead in the paint. Everything is just vaporized and in the air. And I had a headache. This is a curious move.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So close, so close that she could have handed us in and out order.
Speaker 1: That was.
Speaker 2: The craziest thing I've seen on this show.
Speaker 3: That was a roller skating waitress distance from the window.
Speaker 1: Guys. A woman went to turn left in a very uh neighborhoody kind of street, then decided she wasn't going to go ahead and finish the left, and then just started driving straight toward the front of this car in.
Speaker 3: A hey you ain't from around here, are you, type of almost aggressive.
Speaker 2: Well, had the sweetest look on her face.
Speaker 1: She was it was slow, you could have interpreted that way as they were kind of scoping us out. Then when they got closer, you realized this woman was barely over the steering wheel and she was just trying to kind of make the best of what she was doing on the road. She's about fifteen minutes away from getting her license pulled. Yeah, I think, yes, probably ninety two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think. I think that. She just gave us a look like, does it look.
Speaker 3: Like I'm in control of how far I am from you? How close I this is just my body.
Speaker 1: She did a wave that's a very old person wave where she cupped her whole hand and waved downward right.
Speaker 2: The old my knuckles hurt wave.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the old rheumatis return right this wave. It was just kind of like she could have been saying down boy to a dog. Oh, that male man thought I was waving at him by my example.
Speaker 2: Thank you for your service, sir.
Speaker 1: We love you Mary Christmas.
Speaker 2: That's why we're giving you the claw.
Speaker 1: The old Grandma pancake hand down.
Speaker 2: We're just driving around the area to find our the neighborhood security.
Speaker 1: Hello. Hello, it's you again your New Year's sir.
Speaker 3: We're just we're questioning what you're doing in the neighborhood, partner.
Speaker 1: Let's see within five hundred feet of a school. We'll make sure we didn't like the cut of his jib. Wait, you're going to say something else.
Speaker 2: My I said my partner for the first time.
Speaker 3: I don't you know I work at Jacobine and Myers.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: She went to LaGuardia High School with her childhood chums, where Sarah Paulson and.
Speaker 2: Pedro Piscal and a number of people that went on.
Speaker 1: Was that like an arts high school?
Speaker 3: It was, yeah, yeah, And we got invited to Sarah Paulson's birthday party, which was I've never been to the chateau.
Speaker 2: It is right, and it was like a shared.
Speaker 3: Like you know, three rooms with an outdoor patio, and it was I was not prepared. I did not know I would freak out seeing certain faces, like what faces I Glenn Close was there, Demi Moore was there? Wow, Sandra Bullock was there, Amy Adams, and then also.
Speaker 2: Just current young actors that I don't know.
Speaker 3: Their names, but I'm like, wow, you're sure and wicked, but we're just dancing and no one knows. It's everyone being normal and sweet. I needed to see it because it's a room full of people that also feel uncomfortable. And you can tell that celebrities are not at all riddled with confidence that we don't possess. Maybe obviously in an audition room they are. But Pedro Pascal I have to report as the sweetest, kindest, oh most engaging. It's every everyone knows that already, but I'm just confirming it.
Speaker 1: So you got to actually hang out with Pedro.
Speaker 2: Yes, he wanted to loan me some Uh well, Buttrin.
Speaker 1: Chris, you you have an ability to bury the lead in a way that is mind boggling.
Speaker 2: I tell stories like Christopher Nolan yeah, but love.
Speaker 3: And also the goofiest, funnest person. His name he is in Sugar. He's in Ozark. His name is Something Butler.
Speaker 2: Aaron Butler, the guy that played Elvis. No, no, Austin Butler. Aaron, No, No, I should know his name.
Speaker 3: He's he's in Sugar at the end when when I don't know what you mean. Sugar is a great show with with mister eyebrows himself, Colin Ferrell's who's like an it's great, you got.
Speaker 1: Oh he's an investigator.
Speaker 2: Yes, I've seen it's so I loved it. I loved it.
Speaker 3: But his best friend in it is this actor who is very funny, and we were dancing. It's not no, it's Something Butler. I will look right now.
Speaker 2: I liked him so much and and.
Speaker 1: I will. Do you think any of them are going to listen to our podcast?
Speaker 2: No, certainly not.
Speaker 1: Wait, you didn't pass for Sarah.
Speaker 2: Paulson's mom Will. She's a big fan.
Speaker 3: I love her. She's wacky and I love meaning moms. Oh, don't do that to me, missus Paulson.
Speaker 1: Marien Paulson.
Speaker 2: Ever, she was on Mushrooms and she was hilarious and.
Speaker 1: I loved her that's her name is not Doris, because Doris does not do much room.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, there's never been a Doris that.
Speaker 1: She's more of a Janet Paulson, the mate Paulson.
Speaker 3: Yes, Kathy, it was, Yes, the actor that is so funny and fun to dance with and kind. And it was just I think it's Answerah invited all these people she went to LaGuardia with.
Speaker 2: So it was all these It was like a.
Speaker 3: Reunion, high school reunion for people that some have moved on to do entirely different things.
Speaker 2: Other people teach acting.
Speaker 3: But they hadn't seen each other in years, and so I was watching what I hope to have one day, which is a friend's only high school reunion. But it's they all flew and went to this thing. So it was Jason Butler Harner.
Speaker 2: Is his name?
Speaker 1: Can we see a picture?
Speaker 3: That guy is the funnest dude. Oh he's British right, No he if so he was hiding it.
Speaker 1: Let me see. But that guy, okay, is the fun he's he's like a long time working actor.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, it's just one of those those guys. But he plays a lot of bad guys. That's why it's it's funny to meet someone and see that they're a full on, hilarious goofball.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you can get that from anyone.
Speaker 3: When you see them dance to nineties, you know it was all music from everyone.
Speaker 2: There was my age, and it was it was amazing fun.
Speaker 1: That was So the headline of that would have been like, hey, I went to a big time celebrity party.
Speaker 3: Yes I did, but I don't like those words coming out of my mouth. So I had to Nolan my way through it. So it was revealed because I don't.
Speaker 1: Want to think that means what's the problem with those words coming out of your mouth? Is that like a leftover nineties thing for you?
Speaker 3: I that I don't want to name drop it stuff.
Speaker 2: I think we all avoid that, don't we. I just do it in a confusing way.
Speaker 1: Right, But yeah, you're still doing it. So it's like, at least tell us what got to happen.
Speaker 2: But people want to hear these people were great.
Speaker 3: If I went to a thing and everyone was a jerk, I probably wouldn't tell this.
Speaker 1: Jory no, completely Well, I think that's like you're no, You're completely right to tell it. I love that you're telling it. I'm saying you shouldn't even hesitate. It's the reason we all moved here. Like, I'm here for exactly that moment where Pedro Pascal is somehow standing next to me at the coffee bean and tea leaf and I get to have some sort of short personal exchange. You got to have like a true night long hang. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I really was off in the distance most because I was like, I don't want anyone for a second to be like, who is that guy?
Speaker 2: I didn't, so.
Speaker 1: So you're shaking hands or doing anything eventually because people like who are you hi?
Speaker 2: Asking me questions.
Speaker 3: I noticed a thing about New York people is they will ask you about your day, what you're up to, what you're all about, in a way where I'm used to, I think, and I'm not. I love this city and I love it all the black sheep of their families, artists moved here.
Speaker 2: It's great. I love that I have that in common with everyone.
Speaker 3: But people do have a tendency here to talk about themselves, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeahs don't change the narcissism.
Speaker 2: In New York.
Speaker 3: I don't see that as much. I was like talking to strangers and connecting. I'm like, oh, New York is it the friendliest city? What is happening this? Hey I'm walking here about a being thing was not occurring, No, it was.
Speaker 1: I was like, that's New Jersey.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah it's yeah. I didn't. I need to look at a map before I judge areas. But yeah, it was just great.
Speaker 1: And I don't tell my friend Albertina.
Speaker 2: Right, No, I love that name though.
Speaker 1: Oh well she's You've been at parties with her several times. She is. She is a like a New York City native and she the reason she and I've been friends for so long is because I find that kind of friendship. It's like what my family is like where it's just like she'll be like, no, come on. I'll be like, sorry, I can't come. We made it a dinner plan. Now I can't come. I'm exhausted. And she'll be like, well, I'm here, and then I'm like, oh, you're right, I'll be there. Like it's like a person that's like more like a sister than a friend. They're like they're pushy, they're gonna tell you what they really think. They're gonna not, they're not gonna lie, they're not gonna whatever, and that's like so much better than the like I'll tell you whatever you want to hear so I can get something right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I think this group of people, I could tell it was very important for them to be around each other and stay in contact. And I just noticed, and I think it's me a little bit, and I'm trying to change that.
Speaker 2: I don't really have that.
Speaker 3: I've become a weird hermit guy and I'm fighting it and I'm getting out of it.
Speaker 2: I'm trying my best.
Speaker 1: You're not a hermit.
Speaker 3: No, No, I go outside, I do think, but they are so lowly things we do sports where you're by yourself and and talk much to others, you know.
Speaker 2: And I want to be more social. And I know we've been saying that for years, both of us, but it's true. I'm really doing it this time.
Speaker 1: I'm really doing it this time as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is Is it too early to say what kind of summer we're going to have?
Speaker 1: No? Is it in New York? Pedro Pascal summer.
Speaker 2: He doesn't even know he's a movie star. He's Demi Moore said hi to him, and he said, Demi Moore just said hi to me, Like, do you not know that you are currently in Gladiator two.
Speaker 1: And the one of the most beloved.
Speaker 2: Stars and but has zero ego.
Speaker 1: Did you see the Nicholas Cage movie he was in.
Speaker 3: I saw it two nights ago and I it's my third time watching it.
Speaker 2: I love us so much.
Speaker 1: I watch it like four times.
Speaker 2: It kind of flew under the radar.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is called the Massive Weight of Incredible Talent, of staggering Talent or something like that.
Speaker 2: Well, Pedro Pascal is so good in it.
Speaker 3: I think it's the best uh he's ever because he's you see how funny he is and in person, I saw how funny and Boofbali he can be, which is great. But it also there's moments where he has to be scary.
Speaker 2: It's got everything. Yeah, if you want the full dose of Pedro.
Speaker 1: Did you tell Pedro about that? You just saw that movie?
Speaker 2: And no, but I did see Oh what's Regina King? And I had just watched The Watchman.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, I watched that season that talks about the Tulsamasca and everything. And I had just watched it, and I said, because we're waiting in line at the bar so I could get my fake drink and I just watched that Watchman thing, which is from twenty nineteen, so it was and you were so good in it, and she was like, oh my god, thank you. Oh I really like as if no one has said that, it's just it was really cool.
Speaker 1: I love Gina King so fucking much. And if you've ever seen Southland, she plays she's there's a really good cop show about LAPD called Southland and Sean HATTI see, isn't it? Who is my Twitter boyfriend? No more because no one's on Twitter anymore, but he was like my celebrity that I actually talked to on Twitter. That was so exciting.
Speaker 3: After that celebrity, it was Seawan Cassidy.
Speaker 1: Kind of fleeted through there. But that was so surreal that I was like, I don't think that's real. I couldn't believe it was really Shawn Cassidy because that was such a full circle moment. But the Shan Hat to see thing was like, Oh, that's just the guy that I personally picked as my my the guy I like from movies when I see him show up or TV shows, So I started watching because of him. But Regina King in that show is kind of like the boss, but she has her own whole storyline so good. Then I got to see her restaurant and I literally was trying to take pictures just because I was in the same room as her. And I was like, this is someone needs to know this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know I and trust me.
Speaker 3: At this party, I wanted to take so many pictures and be in the picture.
Speaker 2: There's pictures being taken. There was a photo booth, but I was not. I'm like, I'm not going to be grabbing Pedro yeah, and like.
Speaker 3: Hey, arm around him. But then after the photo, I was I just didn't want to.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I don't give it.
Speaker 1: After the photo you're saying, arm you did take the side hugged, But what do you mean after the photo you just said you didn't take any photos.
Speaker 3: I didn't want to side hug in the photo. But then after the photo was taken.
Speaker 1: You said I want photos.
Speaker 3: There were other people. I'm just not in them, so there's no evidence.
Speaker 2: I can't prove that I was at this party. I didn't want to be in the photos.
Speaker 1: This the side hug portion puts you in the photo. So what do you mean by that?
Speaker 3: After the photo side huk after it was take in a different room ten ft away.
Speaker 2: Minutes later.
Speaker 1: Wrap up of that was a great hang.
Speaker 3: I had the post photo discussion. I was around four.
Speaker 2: Got you, but not in any photos because.
Speaker 1: That wouldn't make sense. You didn't go to that school.
Speaker 2: Exactly, it's high school, ruin, it's it's a birthday party.
Speaker 1: Get you, okay?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: So Regina King five stars, five out of five. She's the greatest.
Speaker 2: Everyone was great. There was no one that was not great.
Speaker 1: God, yeah, no assholes at that high school.
Speaker 2: I didn't. Yeah, I wish.
Speaker 3: I am so jealous of high schools that had like you could major in the arts in a high school that was public in New York City.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, the coolest.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then you had to really be talented to get into that high school because because you were up against other chldren in New York City, right, yeah, serious.
Speaker 2: Ship, Yeah I would.
Speaker 3: I would have had to have gotten in for art.
Speaker 2: Poor dance. Yeah, you don't know my aggressive street style dance that I kind of.
Speaker 1: Intented that you won Olympic bronze for.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yeah, but yeah, very fun, very fun to be around those people and have it be the most comfortable, fun, sweet time.
Speaker 1: So we've got a Pedro Pescal. We've got Regina King, which is like, hands down, that's my favorite. But any can you just run through any other names that were you actually interacted with her?
Speaker 3: No, No, I just saw there and then you know there was other people that Jennifer Aniston, but these are all I'm like.
Speaker 2: It was so crowded in what it was the equivalent.
Speaker 3: Of three hotel rooms with a hallway and then an outdoor area that I still it was just too many bodies, and so I think a lot of people came and then they were like this is too crowded and left. But in that moment of seeing everyone, I was kind of on the outside looking and I was like, oh, this is like being at the Oscars or something as close as all be.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: Unless I start scoring or key gripping, oh or acting, I might.
Speaker 2: It's not too late. It might be one of these late bloomer Robert Duvall type.
Speaker 1: You could be a total Brian krantzt.
Speaker 2: One yep. Yeah. So it was. It was very very cool, and that was a pre and then I flew to my dad's and we had the best time. Amazing Christmas in a shell, made fair nuts in a what a nutshell. My Christmas in a nutshell?
Speaker 1: I gotcha, still nolling it to the very end. Yes, yeah, Nolan it.
Speaker 2: Yes, Yes? And did you go home?
Speaker 1: I did? I went home. I had a lovely month long hang with my dad. Essentially, he watched football. I sat in silence because it goes into his ears directly. So then I just got to watch TikTok freely and it seemed like we were watching TV together, but we kind of weren't. So then I didn't have to just like get pummeled by literally twelve hours of football every day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, does your dad have a hearing aids? Yes?
Speaker 3: My dad just got them, and it seems like they've somehow been tuned in to the TV. So he's just can hear that like it's down low, but he's only hearing that.
Speaker 2: So yeah, still like.
Speaker 3: Same situation. I'm looking at my phone, but then something will happen. He'll pause it and it's story time for twenty minutes.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So I'm just hanging.
Speaker 3: Out in the TV room because I know we're going to have these conversation breaks exactly what I'm there for.
Speaker 1: Or every once in a while a mong dad will hit pause and then go, you got to watch this, you got to watch this, and then I have to watch some incredible catch yeah or some amazing thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I'm there for it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's uh in.
Speaker 3: Your dad's doing well, healths getting around.
Speaker 1: Real, he's very strong, he's very loud.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in my mind, your dad is still six four something, right, he is.
Speaker 2: I mean big.
Speaker 1: He's probably two inches shorter than he used to be, but he's very tall. He was six four as I grew up. Wow, yeah, big man.
Speaker 3: It's so funny how everyone in my family was six two to six four, both Grandpa's, all my cousins, and then my dad and I are these little five nine guys. But I feel like those inches, those fewer inches with that's why we developed a sense of humor, because I don't recall my grandparents having.
Speaker 2: That, right, what's very funny.
Speaker 1: I feel like I feel like the hype thing. I feel like it's superficial kind of requirements thing that is very nineties two thousands, where it's like a man has to be six feet tall or whatever, a woman has to be this. Then it's just like no one believes that anymore. It's like it feels old.
Speaker 2: To me, right.
Speaker 1: I mean not to say that people aren't absolutely being tortured by the societal restrictions. Right, of course we all are, but it just isn't the way it feels like it used to be. And I feel like the people that really love to sing that song, like if a guy is an over six feet tall, it's like, okay, great, that's just you needing people to know your preference, right. It has nothing to do with if you walked into a place and had a spark with a man who is five feet tall. That that's you don't know what the fuck's going to happen to. Yeah, Like, don't set out all the reasons why you have to like disqualify people.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And when I say tall, I also mean like, you know, you don't expect some of my favorite comics like Lachland Patterson or Gary Goleman, who look like they are linebackers, like or something better. I say linebacker because I don't follow a lot of sports.
Speaker 1: Maybe a tight end, a wide receiver, tight ends. I do ask me.
Speaker 2: Anything, then you'll just say something to your Dad's.
Speaker 1: The point. The whole objective is to move the ball down the field. Yeah, that's my favorite thing is when those when the announcers are talking, then I just repeat the dumbest thing they say, and my dad laughs really hard, right, because it sounds normal when they're saying it.
Speaker 3: But I'm even more impressed when someone has traditional good looks and then on top of that they became very funny. To me, it's even more impressive, yes for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well but you know what it says to me that they had to glow up when they were like twenty three. That is not evident, right, So it's like you were a gangly weirdo, looked like a whatever, an ostrich or something. Yeah, yeah, and then it all came together and you're just newly attractive.
Speaker 2: Right right. I do demand to see childhood photos.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, with your your teeth that sticks straightforward, right.
Speaker 2: There's yes, which was certainly the case with me. I assume I was given porcelain braces which, upon the first lipped and cup of soup or dyed bright yellow to start high school yellow brackets. From a distance, they just look like tartar.
Speaker 1: But it was my braces, it was, And no one told you do not like, do not pour any any food coloring on these braces.
Speaker 2: Me and a girl named Aaron England.
Speaker 3: Were the only kids in high school who that freshman year had this new experimental braces that were porcelain, and I think they hadn't quite figured them out, and later versions of them did not absorb yellow number five or other food dice Jesus. But the first version I had bright yellow brackets on my teeth. That is the year I honed my comedic skills.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how do I get friends?
Speaker 3: These all the kids I went to high school with a lot of them more from another school, and it was I had to try harder. Yeah, and the braces didn't help, no, but then afterwards, So that's not glow up. That's just me being lucky that my parents paid for that.
Speaker 1: Well, but it's a challenge either way. I mean, all the things that like you go through in high school end up serving you in some way, I think.
Speaker 3: Yeah, although the x ray that that Orthodonis did give me in the beginning, because they x ray your hand to see how much you're gonna grow, and he promised me I was gonna be over six feet tall.
Speaker 2: I took him to that. I'm still waiting.
Speaker 1: I mean, you never know.
Speaker 3: I do now though, because I'm five nine, going on five eight am. I'm already in the shrinking phase.
Speaker 2: That spurt.
Speaker 1: It's like, this spurt is never gonna happen. It's never gonna happen. I wonder if, first of all, you can get shin extensions. I think that's available, an available choice to you. But I wonder if, like, because somebody said one time that it's like sometimes that doesn't happen, or people's growth is stunted if they like get a head injury. Have you ever heard that?
Speaker 3: Oh wow, yes, I feel like if there's something to blame. It was my infant convulsions. I thought I wasn't gonna talk because I you know, I kept having these fevers and have to put me on ice.
Speaker 2: Apparently my eyes rolled back. I didn't know about that. That was a detail I got during football this year.
Speaker 1: We're in a pretty serious medical area right now that you're gonna have to climb your way out of.
Speaker 2: Yep, yep.
Speaker 3: It ends great, okay, because I one day just started talking and they're like, they thank the Lord.
Speaker 2: They said, although they weren't religious, how old were you when this happened, these fevers?
Speaker 1: When you started talking? Well, I prefer.
Speaker 2: To tell their story backwards.
Speaker 1: I know your prep. It's not that your instincts are wrong.
Speaker 2: Your dad no socks.
Speaker 3: That was the first thing I said about a man wearing sandals, and they said, oh, I guess he talks.
Speaker 2: And it was a full.
Speaker 1: Sentence, how old were you?
Speaker 2: Thank you?
Speaker 3: That's where I was getting you do you like Christopher Nolan's films?
Speaker 2: And then I looked down I read it.
Speaker 3: There was a tattoo on my arm, reminding me that I was two and a half.
Speaker 2: I think, oh, so that's kind of lat Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's maybe a little, but it's.
Speaker 3: They were sweating it though, because the doctor said he might have brain damage from these convulsions. But maybe I ended up flying cognitively, but it stunted my growth.
Speaker 1: Maybe that's what That's what I was saying.
Speaker 3: I should do a re edit of all my stories, like a more leanear version for those that prefer I don't know the memento that is told in order, which is.
Speaker 1: Available to and your absolute inability to answer direct questions.
Speaker 3: It's yeah, it's it's something different. I think it's how I'm punk rock. You want you want an answer?
Speaker 2: Fuck you? No, I do.
Speaker 3: I do think I have that problem.
Speaker 2: I don't answer directly. I was never in the military.
Speaker 1: Oh yasi legal, sir, in eighteen thousand different ways.
Speaker 2: Not If you're in a fun, fun purple jeep, you can do all you can.
Speaker 1: Pretend to take a left, make it a U turn in the middle of an intersection.
Speaker 3: People try to get angry, but they're like, what a fun color?
Speaker 1: Was that? The grimace? What's that?
Speaker 2: Aftermarket? How are the fry guys? What do you think so far? Boy? The last few days.
Speaker 3: At first I almost thought it wasn't a Nazi salute. I thought, well, maybe he just socially is so awkward. But you've already told me and I didn't read up on like the family history stuff.
Speaker 2: Right, But he did the one. I'm like, well it could have been. And they turned around and did one to the audience, and I was like, oh, that we're fucked. That was it was.
Speaker 1: I have to get rid of this car. I mean, like, it's now, it's now. One of the few things I can do about fucking anything is at least not drive this car.
Speaker 3: I think there's so many of these cars in this city that it is not it's people don't assume you bought it because you're a fan.
Speaker 1: No one is doing that right, and there's it's the old Prius. It's remember when Prius first came out, there was like, literally that's every car.
Speaker 2: I think you should get that out of your head.
Speaker 3: I do not think anyone is judging you, especially you know, if you got that sticker.
Speaker 2: Yeah, people don't read it and go, oh that's fun.
Speaker 1: They'll be like neat. Yeah. The problem though, is, well, it's just whatever. I just would like a different car for many many reasons. Sure, and also it's weird because now we're in the twenties of January, when it truly felt like it was just New Year. It just everything is going so fast.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, it is, it is.
Speaker 3: I didn't I did go to a fun New Year's Eve party, which I haven't.
Speaker 2: I have been going to Montana.
Speaker 3: To just sit with my dad, and that's been great. I have not tried to celebrate at a party in decades. I used to go back to Montana and we'd you know, have a gas powered heater in a frozen garage and we'd all wonder why we were dizzy and dance. But I finally went to like a fun New York City, very diverse fun party. It was so great with a band, and there was the actual countdown. It's so funny that I just convinced myself I don't care about that, but it's so fun with a group of people to actually do the countdown, and you know, and of course celebrated by cool in the game.
Speaker 2: And you were there in New York doing sets. No, it was just a fun.
Speaker 3: Visit with my girlfriend and seeing her family and all the just bringing in the new year.
Speaker 2: I've always wanted to go to New York. I had an idea this.
Speaker 1: Sorry, can I just do a quick hookup? We're hooking up right now. The fact that your girlfriend went to high school with Sarah Paulson, and so you were in New York City for that.
Speaker 2: Party, the party with all the celebs. Yeah, no, that was at the Chateau here before. That's right. I'm so sorry. No, I keep dropping. It's confusing. I've been going to all these parties, you know.
Speaker 3: The New York one was in Queens, which was a lot you know, taking this the subway, which I'm not, but if you're with a local, it's the easiest thing ever. Yeah, and just experiencing that city. I wanted it to be the miracle on three fourth Street, snowy I wanted a New Year's with snow and it was actually very warm and then it.
Speaker 2: Got really cold. But it's a great place to have Christmas.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I just really like that city nice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, especially if you end up being surrounded by fun.
Speaker 2: Locals that that love each other and all that stuff. I mean, really great.
Speaker 1: It is like in terms of partying and enjoyment, there's just no place like it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 1: Really Like the last time I was there, I think it was for my birthday and it was with my friend and we went to like it was just that thing of like, oh, we're going to go to that museum, so I guess we'll go to this like French bistro beforehand, and like being there, I was just like, this is the best experience of all time. It's just like you keep on because of things that have been there for so long. Things are time tested, Like you can't really be in business in New York City and not be relatively good or right.
Speaker 2: People want to especially food.
Speaker 3: I ate every everything I ate there was the best thing I'd ever had a peta sandwich from a bodega.
Speaker 2: I'm like, why is this so good? Why is it so inexpensive? It was? It was just the best and and yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Kind of want to live there in a in a way, but I mean my interests would I would have to forfeit most of the things I like to do, I think, other than comedy. I did do one sat there. I did Whiplash and it was very fun with Uela Sharp was I will take that w and throw it in front of an owl with so many words, but it started with her name is the best and gave me a sweet, kind intro.
Speaker 2: And that audience was great.
Speaker 3: And I feel like whenever I'm in New York, they like all the jokes that I'm most proud of that I avoid telling here. Sometimes I don't know what that is. Maybe it's in my head, but I had so much fun. Great Josh Gondleman was on it. I haven't seen that guy in forever. There's a lot of fun fun people.
Speaker 2: Is so great.
Speaker 3: But then what I'm leaving out is most of the time in New York we both had the flu. It was like, oh so that yeah, being sick and then sick a little bit here.
Speaker 2: That was I forgot about that. That was it was going around. Everyone had the flu.
Speaker 1: Everyone has it, everyone's getting it. It's just a fact of life. Oh, another fact of Like that's what it was. The TikTok ban my addiction, oh right, my true full brain addiction. They're like, okay, well there's today's the day they're banning it, and I went.
Speaker 2: Didn't it also say unless Donald Trump does something about it? Wasn't that?
Speaker 1: So let me tell you this story?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 1: Sorry, So so they say that it's coming, they warn you. People are literally saying goodbye. All their posts are like I'm just really love what is going on here? So special? Oh yeah, for days, for days and days, and then finally it's a day of and every video is really slow, like they won't load, and it's like there's a real pain. And so finally I was like, well, if today's last day, then I'm deleting this off my phone because if I open it and it's just sitting there, I will just try to open it all the time, like a weird like a parrot that's knocking its beak on a mirror, Like I just it's gonna make me feel crazy. So I just deleted it off my phone. Well then literally twelve hours later, Bridger. I was like, oh, the TikTok band, and Bridger goes, oh no, it's back, and I was like, what it is? So I go back and try to redownload it. I can't. So all the people like me that were reactionary, that were like, yep, I can't just stare at this thing. We don't have it anymore. But like people like my sister who just didn't do anything, she's like, oh yeah, everyone's back.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, everyone, you are unable.
Speaker 1: I'm unable to re download it because the Byte Dance Company is what's like banned from the app store. So yeah, until he didn't really reintroduce it entirely, of course, and it's different. My sister's like, it definitely feels different. It's weird. So I've literally been I started watching YouTube shorts. That's how bad it was.
Speaker 2: Oh no, and.
Speaker 1: Their YouTube shorts is the Walmart version of if TikTok is Bloomingdale's, which it's.
Speaker 2: Not, but all the swear words are bleeped.
Speaker 1: It's just like it's just it's just a bunch of reading with music behind it. And it's like, here's five ways to improve your psychological manipulation tactics. Or whatever. What am I looking at? And I'm just and I can't tell it my preferences because that means I've sign in and of course don't know my password. So I'm just like, all right, well, just let's see if there's anything good on here.
Speaker 4: Blue Sky is creating an alternative to TikTok right now. Blue Sky is yeah, called the Skylight.
Speaker 1: Blue Sky is so wildly middle aged, Like I've never had more people treat me just trying to post a joke and it's obvious. It's not only obviously a joke, it's a fucking sloppy, hacky joke. It's not a good joke. And there's so many people of like I so agree with you, and like people coming to treat It's like they're trying to treat it like Facebook, like interact with you over a post where it's like, hey, this is a one way deal, but of course it's not because it's not Twitter.
Speaker 2: It's so frustrating there a little facebookie, yes.
Speaker 1: But like in this way where people are like somebody already can't went on there and was like, hey, Karen love you, and Chris you're you know. Dinah means the world to me.
Speaker 2: But you got to.
Speaker 1: Get rid of that car, and it took everything in my power to not right back. You gotta go fuck yourself because it's like, yeah, who the fuck are you? Of course it's a man, get off my fucking get off this app like I'm not here, like I know that.
Speaker 2: The reason you know it is kuy I told you, so.
Speaker 1: Shut the fuck up.
Speaker 2: Oh man.
Speaker 1: But that's it's that kind of like there's a real mom has forty five minutes of free time, so she's gonna go over to blue Sky. So I don't have all the faith in the world because there's no young people on there seemingly at all. So I don't have a lot of faith that they're gonna be able to recreate what the children built over on TikTok. We'll see. I don't want to be I won't be too negative, but it is a bit you it's kind of corny over there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've got to go where the kids are.
Speaker 3: Okay, let's we're gonna follow them and see what's going on.
Speaker 1: You're gonna flip a uwie.
Speaker 3: My friend that I skate with, he's a fire captain in town.
Speaker 2: Nate and he worked twelve days oh shit in a row and yeah, this first day off, but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how did he do with all that?
Speaker 2: Ten like it?
Speaker 3: I was like, how how has it been? He's like, we saved the Girl Scout camp. Like he only had positive things to say.
Speaker 2: He was like, just that's what you have to do, is just this is a good thing. This is a good thing. I know he's seen nothing but heartbreak. Yeah, but he only enlisted the good things and that was the Girl Scout Camp, he said him in his department, we're really excited about that, which is sweet, that's lovely. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, and also there was somebody that said with the winds that we had, they were like and a lot of people, a lot of Southlanders heard this already, but the fire cap you know, whoever was talking to the press was like, when you have winds, you know, around twenty degrees, you're fighting fires a firefighter. When it's up in the over fifty miles an hour, you're an observer.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, there's.
Speaker 1: Nothing they can do after a certain level of wind.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was hard for me to understand when you're watching live footage of all the burning and it's.
Speaker 2: Like where are helicopter?
Speaker 3: Why is because I'm so used to Montana wildfires where they're just so prepared and they have three rivers to pull water from in town, there's water everywhere. But it was the winds they couldn't how frustrating that would be if you're like a helicopter pilot ready to go and it was just too windy and smoky.
Speaker 2: They couldn't see right.
Speaker 3: So it's just so it's horrible, terrible, And on my way out of town to just wade out and wade it out and breathe that air, I saw I'm pretty sure a arsonist being arrested.
Speaker 2: Oh shit, but it was just a guy. It was just a mentally ill person freaking out and they.
Speaker 3: But I saw the thing that we always see on TV. They're like yelling at him and being rough, but they were so careful to make sure he didn't hit his head. That whole notion of like watch your head, now, watch your head. You'll get a nasty bump. And then once he's in the car, they're like, get this animal out of here. It's just my favorite thing. I saw them all true cops put their put their hands on his head, make sure, be careful.
Speaker 2: It's it's a sharp edge.
Speaker 1: Get this asshole out of here. Oh was it because he was handcuffed?
Speaker 2: Well, there was.
Speaker 3: They were putting out a fire right there, so it was someone that just had lit some papers just on the side of the freeway.
Speaker 2: Like there was so many.
Speaker 3: It's such a weird thing when the news is saying when the winds were picking up, now would be a terrible time for a fire, and then there is a bunch of fires.
Speaker 2: It's hard to not think.
Speaker 3: I'm I'm sure it's been proven otherwise that those me fires were I think a power structure.
Speaker 1: No, they think the Palisades was arsenal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so too.
Speaker 3: And I mean, and then there's more people like I want if you're someone that just wants to burn the world down and you're angry every day, that the news kind of let you know it was time to do.
Speaker 1: It, it was time to do well. And also I think they do have copycats, right, that does happen, and a lot of the major fires that have been down here, because I covered one that was like that. Anytime there's like four or five things go up, it's always an arsonist because it's like either the one person is trying to burn mass amounts of area or it's the copycat yeah kind of thing. But I also do think there's that anti California vibe that it was like, oh, try to burn down all of Los Angeles and then California will be blah.
Speaker 2: I don't know, that's I know.
Speaker 3: I don't want it sound like nine to eleven was an inside job type person, but.
Speaker 2: Does go there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it was hard not to think that though. I mean there could have been a million answers. We were just all sitting here staring at our phones watching everything catch on fire. Yeah, so it's hard not to think that way.
Speaker 3: And now it's a matter of I think would have been trying to do is just post gofundmeans of families, especially in Alta Dina, that were, you know, really affected and have nowhere to go. Like I keep thinking about someone with like a four year old kid. How do you explain to a kid that young that, like, oh everything, we had a kid that you haven't talked to about.
Speaker 2: Life or death.
Speaker 3: And then it's you have to explain that the house that they know is not there anymore.
Speaker 2: That would be the hardest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well you wouldn't. You would basically just be like, we're going to go to spend the night at Grandma's and then yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: You have you would have to do a life is beautiful thing where like let's try and make this an adventure.
Speaker 2: It would be so hard.
Speaker 3: And there's so many like parents with young kids, and and.
Speaker 1: There's there's also I think you can look if like people that are listening are trying to find a place to donate. There's like a lot of people doing individual gofundmes. But then there's also just like the Red Cross as a central service for the people who truly are just like standing there with whatever they grabbed as they ran out, you know. And I think we my favorite murder did put out a newsletter where we linked and it's on our social media. My favorite murder for like, okay, five really good charities to donate to that are like direct aid.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm going to consult that list.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I get in there.
Speaker 2: Yeah I will. Let's do what we can.
Speaker 1: We we do what we can, we take care of those nearby. We hope that Pedro Pascal is one of those people. If not, treat everybody as if they are Pedro Pascal. Yes, until twenty twenty six, you're right.
Speaker 3: Let us that will be that's our summer. Treat everyone like their pedro.
Speaker 1: Yeap Be as excited to see them as you would if it was him, laugh as hard at their jokes as you would at his. Yes, give them the benefit of the doubt and.
Speaker 2: Vote for him. That's a T shirt from Napoleon Dynamo.
Speaker 1: Yeh, you're going to recycle that?
Speaker 2: D God, why did I say that? You've been listening to Do you Need a Ride? D y n ar aar I said R. This has been an exactly right production.
Speaker 1: Our senior producer is Annalise Nelson.
Speaker 2: Mixed by Edson Choy.
Speaker 1: Our talent booker is Patrick Cotner.
Speaker 2: Theme song by Karen Kilgareth.
Speaker 1: Artwork by Chris Fairbanks. Follow the show on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook at dinar podcast That's d y nar Podcast.
Speaker 3: For more information, go to exactly rightmedia dot com.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Oh You're welcome