Speaker 1: Hey guys, welcome to I've never said this before with me Tommy de Dario. So this is an episode that has been highly anticipated because today's guest is someone who has been making quite a lot of news lately. The talented actor Oliver Stark stars in the smash hit drama series nine nine one one is one of the most watch shows on primetime television. It airs on ABC, and it's one of the most popular shows for good reason. It is thrilling and suspenseful, and you've become so invested in these characters' lives, both professionally as they work and navigate through these high stake situations, but also personally. It's really gratifying to see what life is like for them beyond the firefighter gear. Oliver plays the confident and compassionate firefighter Evan Buckley aka Buck, and he quickly became a fan favorite on the show since day one, and now seasons is currently airing. And just when you thought you couldn't love the character of Buck Moore, let me tell you you can. We have a lot to cover today and I have a feeling you're going to really enjoy this fun but also personal and deep conversation where you really get to see another side to Oliver. So let's see if today we can get Oliver to say something that he has never said before. Oliver, my man, how you doing. It's good to see you.
Speaker 2: I'm doing very well. I'm excited to be here.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm happy to have you. We're going to dive in because, first of all, you recently pretty much broke the internet, and I think you know what I'm talking about, and that is, of course that your character Buck recently came to the realization that he is bisexual. And it's pretty cool because there have been breadcrumbs, I feel like throughout the entire series. But I do think this is a newer thing for him, Like to me, it doesn't. I feel like this was particularly planned over all the years, and I know for you it was something you very much welcomed and you wanted to dive into this. So why is that? Why were you excited to take on this new part of who he is?
Speaker 3: I think for a number of reasons, right, So, first of all, I do think, and not in any kind of like intentional way, but I do think if you, you know, look back through the years of the show, that there are breadcrumbs that have been leading to something, right, to some kind of I'm not happy with myself or there's a side of myself that I am not quite in tune with yet. So I was excited from that perspective, like purely a kind of storytelling perspective.
Speaker 2: But then I also think this is a really uniquely positioned character.
Speaker 3: To do this with right where Listen, we're on a network television show. This is a character who from what I've found and I tread carefully, want to sound too self congratulatory here, but he's like a lot of people have connected with him, and a lot of people of different demographics have connected with him.
Speaker 2: So I think then to show.
Speaker 3: To all these different groups of people that hey, he can be all these things and he can be bisexual, I think is a really cool message to send. And Yeah, I just I think it's a really interesting character to have taken this step with.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I imagine when you've played a character for so many years that this is something that is exciting, it's new, it's different, it kind of reinvigorates the role that you're playing.
Speaker 3: Right absolutely, And to be honest with you, like this this season as a whole you know, we've moved networks so that there is a feeling of being reinvigorated.
Speaker 2: As a whole show.
Speaker 3: And then absolutely yeah, you know, as purely speaking as the actor, to have this to dive into and to get to explore and just to see what comes up, you know, while playing this part has been really fun.
Speaker 1: And what I like about you and what I appreciate because I am an Italian from New Jersey and I say what's on my mind for letter or for worse, and I read the Instagram story you put up basically saying, this is a show that's always been built on inclusion and love and we already profile an amazing couple in the community, so why should this be any different? And if you're having a problem with this, well see yourself out. So what went through your mind when you put that up? Was that kind of like an instant reaction? Did you really think about it, because you know, a lot of people wouldn't say something like that if they're seeing negative comments out there.
Speaker 3: You know, the main thought process that I had with whether or not I should speak to those comments is do I even want to give them the time of day? You know, because on one hand, it's like, I don't even want to say anything to you. If that's the kind of energy and that's the kind of viewpoint that you have on this, then I don't need to concern myself with that.
Speaker 2: So that was my main kind of concern of should I even bother? Are they worth it?
Speaker 3: But then the reason that I did want to proceed and say something is because I didn't want anybody who is of that community and who is supportive of this plot to think that I might have any side of me that has the same concerns that these people are having, you know. So I wanted to kind of just say something as a show of solidarity and be like, no, there's nothing about this plot, about this story, about this character, about this community that I have any shame in portraying. And I think it's a beautiful thing that the show is doing. And listen, I get comments where people will go to the extreme of saying things like well, I don't want to see any relationships straight gay any I just want the emergencies. And it's like, well, that's not a TV show. That's a documentary, Like you want to go watch cops, you know, there's no narrative TV show where there is no story, no personal story in relationships. So yeah, those people can say what they want. And you know, and I see it sometimes on my Instagram posts. People will get into arguments and I wish sometimes I'm like, you're never really going to change anybody's mind on the internet. You know, everybody's just kind of screaming into the void and nobody's ever really listening. So to the people that are super against it, I'm like, all right, good, you know, go do whatever you want with your life.
Speaker 2: That's fine. You don't have to watch our show.
Speaker 3: The show is always, as you quite rightly say, been a show that is about inclusivity and has always had queer characters and will continue to have.
Speaker 1: So well, good on you for saying something, because, like I said, a lot of people want to have and it was really eloquently put and you know, it wasn't over the top. It was just like a nice little you're either on board with this or you're not if you're not all the best, right, And I really appreciate being someone that is in the community that you did put that out there, because it's like who cares? Who cares? It's real life. So if you have a problem with that. Maybe I don't know, move somewhere.
Speaker 3: Else exactly that I was Actually I was in a car driving to we were competing on a celebrity family feud, and it just hit me and I just said, you know, I do want to say something to these people, and I do want to make my stance clear. So yeah, it was in the back of a car as we were going to play family feud.
Speaker 1: Rock. Well, that's awesome. So do you think you know, I know we have a little love story right now with the character Tommy, But do you think we'll take some time to see bucks wild dating adventures as he's discovering himself this season and in seasons to come, Do you want to see that?
Speaker 2: I do? You know? I think the character of Tommy, who's.
Speaker 3: Played by lou Is has been really, really great, and you know, I really enjoy lou And I don't know. Right so we're obviously we're still making season seven. We're not even close to finishing that yet, so there's still a lot of this story left to be told. But I would think that there's a world where maybe he has opened this door for Buck and now Buck needs to, you know, walk through it and see what there can be and and and.
Speaker 2: Explore and see what more there is to discover.
Speaker 3: So I mean, that's certainly one route that I could envision, or maybe not, you know, maybe maybe this sticks around for a while and and and Tommy really helps him, you know, understand more about himself and his feelings.
Speaker 2: But yeah, if I think maybe there's also an.
Speaker 3: An in between almost right where where Tommy is still in his life but also understands that this is new for Buck and that there are some things that he has to go and figure out and and maybe he can help guide him through that a little bit.
Speaker 1: That will be a really interesting journey to watch unfold. And something else. In one of the last episodes, when your character came out to your sister played by the brilliant Jennifer la Few and of course that was I think a very relatable scene for so many people. For you, what was it like filming that knowing that that is a scene so many people really do go through on their everyday life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I thought it was a really lovely way to show that moment where it wasn't this like big, overly dramatic, you know, I'm being so brave moment. It kind of it was it was a little bit more on the casual side, right where that for me is maybe in fact an even brave way to show that moment where where we didn't need to put all this weight and depth on it. And he kind of just said, like, yes, I was on a date with the guy. Okay, that's not the point I'm making here. There's not that much of a difference, and that's fine. I was on a date with a guy. Can we actually get back to the problem I was talking about. I thought it was a nice, kind of lighthearted way to kind of show that moment, and the scene that he has later in the episode with Eddie is.
Speaker 2: A little bit deeper and a little bit heavier.
Speaker 3: So I think to kind of have the contrast of the two and to show that, you know, those conversations can feel different with different people in your life, right so that they're I'm you know, ask some people where it is going to be more casual and lighthearted and an easier conversation, and in others where maybe it does feel a little heavier and there's some more processing to go through.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it very much reminded me of the conversation I had with my sister where she came over and I'm like, I have something to tell you. You have three guesses here, there are multiple choice I got a girl pregnant, I have an STD or engaged because you got a girl pregnant. I'm like, really, really, no, no, I love that. So I appreciate the lighter, you know, versions of the coming out scenes, but like you said, there are heavier scenes as well. Do you think we'll see more Buck coming out to different people throughout the season?
Speaker 3: The rest of the coming out so far anyway, and we're only on episode eight.
Speaker 2: The moment that it's in a much more subtle way.
Speaker 3: It's not leaned too heavily on because the other thing is, you know, this is a big old cast and it's an ensemble show and there are a lot of different storylines going on at the same time.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I actually really enjoy ways.
Speaker 3: It's in the next episode where he really kind of announces it doesn't really announce it, but but where everybody kind of becomes aware of what's going on.
Speaker 2: And it's a small moment, but it's a really lovely moment.
Speaker 1: And that's coming out beginning of May, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, May second, I believe is our next episode.
Speaker 1: Okay, May second. So if Buck had a theme song for where he is in his life right now, Oh, I think it would be what what would he be jamming out to saying, yeah, this is this is me.
Speaker 3: I so love when I ask questions like that, because you know, suddenly I can't think of any song that's ever been written by anyone.
Speaker 2: Suddenly I'm like, wait, what is music? I don't know, so I guess it would be.
Speaker 3: So so I'm gonna I'm gonna skirt around it and give a general answer of I don't.
Speaker 2: Know, but I think it would be something very upbeat, right.
Speaker 3: I think he's coming into his own and it's this like it's it's jubilation, right, It's it's this is this thing that I've been looking for.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I don't know what the song is.
Speaker 3: Maybe it's some kind of dance track, even though I don't really want to be dancing to it, but it's something where it's like I'm ready to walk into rooms and own them. So whatever song that is, And as I say, I couldn't tell you the name of the song that's ever been written, but that one is.
Speaker 1: Like, you know, what's gonna happen. You're gonna go to bed tonight and at like two am you'll wake up and be like, damn, man, I should have said, yeah, yeah, can.
Speaker 2: We can we jump back on that? Can I can? I reanswer?
Speaker 1: If you think of Buck now and you think of Buck from season one, what do you think he would tell that guy?
Speaker 3: I think that he doesn't need to try so hard, you know. So Buck kind of in these early seasons was always trying to prove himself to everybody. He always wanted to be the first guy to run into the fire. He always wanted to be the loudest. He always wanted to be the one that was right, And it was coming from a place of wanting to prove his self worth right and because he wasn't feeling worthy of, you know, accolades and of professional advancement and personal stuff. So yeah, I think I would just tell him that it's okay, you know, you don't have to try so hard. You're you're you're still young, and you're still figuring things out and you're on the right path. Just lean on those people around you and you'll find your way eventually.
Speaker 1: Man, don't you feel like that's something so many of us could have heard at a younger.
Speaker 3: Age, absolutely, which is like, honestly, one of the things I really like about playing this part is, you know, I feel like my journey very much has mirrored his. You know, even if you go back to season one on the show, he was the new one to the firehouse. He was the youngest, and that was me coming into this cast as well. I was, by father least experience, that was the youngest, and so me and Buck kind of found our feet together. So so yeah, I do think that's what a lot of people in their twenties, you know, would have needed to hear.
Speaker 2: I know I certainly did, and it.
Speaker 3: Was playing this part and going through these things in real life as well as they've you know, the lines have often been very blurred.
Speaker 1: So what that being said, is there a storyline or a moment throughout the last you know, seven seasons or a character even that you feel like has made you reflect on your life in a certain way.
Speaker 3: So Buck has a very strained or had anyway, we've kind of moved past it a little bit, but he had a very strange relationship with his parents, and I don't parents are a wonderful, wonderful people. And they've been great parents to me, and I think, if anything, you know, but they do.
Speaker 2: They live in England and I live here in California.
Speaker 3: So Dee, who plays my mom on the show, really reminds me of my mom, and so to have as in not in the show that the actress reminds me of my mum. So the kind of juxtaposition of the way that Buck's parents treated him, I think just shined a bit more of a light on how lucky I was to have the kind of upbringing that I had and made me a little bit more thankful but aware of how grateful I am to them. So it certainly I think maybe made me want to be even closer to my parents and you know, even though we live five thousand miles apart, reach out a little bit more and make sure that I am being a good son to them, because it just highlighted not everybody has that relationship.
Speaker 1: M Yeah, that's so true, and it's so powerful when art or a person or whatever you're involved in a given moment of your life can have that effect where you open your eyes to something like that and you're allowing yourself to be open to something like that to having that realization. So that's pretty cool. Man, What for you is one of the greatest things you've learned about yourself through doing the show? I imagine it's a I don't imagine. I know it's a lot of hard work, it's a lot of hours, it's it's taxing, it can be draining among all the other beautiful, powerful, wonderful things. It's a job. And you've been pushing yourself for years in this role. Is there something that you're like, Man, I've learned this about me.
Speaker 3: I think the first thing that kind of comes to mind. There is like one one thing I'm really proud of myself for is like I've really tried to commit to life outside of it as well, because it can be kind of all consuming, you know, very early mornings and late nights, and finding a way to make people around you still feel included in your life.
Speaker 2: And cared for, whether that's people or dogs or whatever.
Speaker 3: It is, like, you know, still showing up in ways that I can, and still finding ways to like focus on health and fitness.
Speaker 2: And finding you know, enough hours in the day.
Speaker 3: And I'm kind of proud of my self for yet kind of committing to life outside of the job at the same time as committing to.
Speaker 1: The job, and I imagine that only in riches your work as an artist, because if you don't live a real life, I mean, how can you bring your true self to the work that you do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you know it can be draining and exhausting to try and do that, But I think you're right, and I think it's important.
Speaker 2: I never like it when and I've certainly fallen.
Speaker 3: Into this trap before and where you make your job your whole identity. I think that's a very dangerous road to go down because what happens then when you're not working, you know, so to kind of try and keep the person who isn't on nine one one still flourishing well.
Speaker 1: Going back to nine one one for a minute, when I announced you as my guest, got lots of fan questions, and the number one question that kept coming up, I feel like you're smiling.
Speaker 2: And yeah, yeah, you know where I'm I ask it.
Speaker 1: I feel like you know where I'm going. But it might be a slightly different spin off, okay, okay with it. So obviously people are wondering if there's anything brewing between you and Eddie, and that's something that a lot of people want to see. But I thought this was interesting when you first met that character and you seemed a little stand offish and maybe threatened and not a big fan. Do you think it's because deep down you had these something there brilliant but you don't know what it was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, very possibly. I yet, Okay, that is an interesting spin on it, I give you that. Yeah, yeah, I think I think.
Speaker 2: That's probably quite a wise way to.
Speaker 3: Look at it, right and to have you know, obviously, Eddie and Ryan plays him, is obviously an attractive man, so I can see that that is something that you know, the introduction of his character is literally Buck turning in slow motion and what a man is?
Speaker 2: The soundtrack is playing, you.
Speaker 3: Know, so, so I think if we look back at that moment, yes, there's definitely an element of that which then, you know, not knowing how to deal and process those feelings, he kind of sectioned off into some kind of jealousy and insecurity about himself. But yeah, I think I think look, Buck was the like young Gung ho action hero, he kind of guy of the one eighteen, and then suddenly there was Eddie who could do everything he could do and was also a single father and an army vet and was all these really cool things. So yeah, I could absolutely see that some of those early moments where they were kind of butting heads, there was some kind of feeling there that Buck didn't quite understand what it was. And obviously they've grown so much closer now, but yeah, that kind of first episode it was fun to play as well, because obviously I was having those feelings. I was like, there is this new guy on the show, So yeah, I can get on board with that.
Speaker 1: And what I think I also heard you say is possibly by season ten there might be a wedding. I mean, you know, between me and Eddie, you just said it, not.
Speaker 3: Me headline created, who knows, you know, Listen, I have like supreme trust in these writers. And you know, so Tim Mineer's come back to the show and he's writing it and he's really fantastic, and as was Kristen Rydell who used to write it, and it's still in our writers' room. But you know, Tim was here from the very beginning, and wherever he went, like when he called me with this storyline, wherever he wants to take it, I'm following him because he's really excellent.
Speaker 2: What he does, and you know, it shows the show.
Speaker 3: Is doing as well as it is because of the writing and the world that has been created here. So hey, if they write me at a wedding by season ten, then I'm all for it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I know. The writing is incredible and there's so many reasons why the show has been killing it, especially with the move to ABC. I mean, shout out to ABC. We love you, ABC, but we're just super psyched that they picked up the show. Were you ever worried that the show wasn't going to get picked up and how was that transition for you over to ABC?
Speaker 3: I mean, we kind of knew that it was not going away going away, you know, we were pretty aware. We weren't officially aware until the day that it happened, in the morning of the announcement, but we kind of heard lots of rumblings that, you know, it's probably going to move over to ABC next year, and I guess there was some kind of apprehension of Okay, what does that mean? Are things going to feel different? And day to day they don't feel any different. But the way that it does feel different is that it's a season one for ABC. So there's all this excitement and kind of freshness to it that has just kind of infused.
Speaker 2: Everything in the show.
Speaker 3: So yeah, So I think at first there was we were just wondering what that would feel like, but actually it's been a really smooth transition, and ABC seemed really excited to have it, and that's just such a nice feeling for us to get to continue to make the show that we know so well and truly like we have so much fun making and now we're on a network who feel like, oh we've got this brand new, shiny thing. It's a really nice balance and collaboration. So yeah, it's really cool, and you know, we've been renewed to season eight, so long may it continue.
Speaker 1: It's pretty impressive all the numbers that have been coming out of people watching it and acquiring new audiences, and it really is one of the most popular shows on primetime. So it's an important piece of television that needs to be out there. Oliver, the name of this show is I've never said this before, so I'm wondering, is there anything that comes to mind that you can think of that maybe you haven't shared before in one of your eight thousand interviews.
Speaker 3: You've got it Okay, so kind of I guess on the same path of what we were talking about earlier about in your twenties and finding yourself. And I guess maybe in some ways I'm going to contradict myself because I said one of the things I'm proud of myself for is committing to kind of life outside of the job.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: I was thinking about this recently, and you know, one thing I wish that I had been better at in my life, and I think this is a thing that's maybe important for certainly young men in their twenties, is I wish that I had committed more to.
Speaker 2: Like nurturing friendships. Like I know a lot of people in my life, but I.
Speaker 3: Don't know how many like friends I have because I kind of just explain, Yeah, I don't know if I put myself out there enough to keep friendships alive and thriving. And so I know a lot of people, but I don't know how many people, you know, maybe not more than I could count on.
Speaker 2: My fingers, could I like really go to with stuff.
Speaker 3: So I think there was one thing that I could do differently about the last I don't know, ten years of my life. It would be to focus more on like building friendships, and I think anybody that's kind of in the early to mid twenties, I think, yeah, focus in on that because those are the people that you're really.
Speaker 2: Going to want to have around you and be able to lean on.
Speaker 1: Really important point, is that something that is challenging to do now with the job you have or you're kind of working on that now.
Speaker 3: It is challenging. I'm trying to do more of it. But it's also it's like when you're in your late twenties or thirties, so where do you meet new people unless you work with them? You know, like I'm not out going to bars every weekend and yeah, it's like, so where do you meet friends?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's interesting.
Speaker 3: So I hope to have the possibility to continue to work on it, but yeah, I do.
Speaker 2: It's something that I struggle with.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you for sharing that. I think that's a really important point, especially in this day and age with social media and screens and tablets and people living on their phones and devices and you know, these replacing human interactions. I think that's a really good reminder to continue making those quality connections, right, Quality.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly, That quality over quantity.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, cool rock on man. I've so enjoyed hanging out with you. I you know, it's funny. I talk to a lot of people, and the people who I most enjoy speaking with always have this grounding sense of gratitude and appreciation for the job they're doing and where they are in their life. And I see that with you, and I know that's only going to continue serving you for the rest of your career. So it's it's really been a blasketting to hang out.
Speaker 2: I'm really on it. I was able to come on here, so thank you everyone.
Speaker 1: Continue watching nine one one where.
Speaker 2: On ABC, come much on Hulu. I think that's it.
Speaker 1: And if you think of that song at two am.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh you get a message, I'll let you know.
Speaker 3: You can get slid in all right, man, be well, thank you, Thank you having good work.
Speaker 1: I've never said this before. Is hosted by me Tommy Diderio. This podcast is executive produced by Andrew Puglisi at iHeartRadio and by Me Tommy, with editing by Joshua Colaudney I've never said this before. It's part of the Elvis Duran podcast network on iHeart Podcast Guests for more rate review and subscribe to our show. And if you liked this episode, tell your friends. Until next time, I'm Tommy Didario.