Speaker 1: Every day a week ago. Clicks up the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 2: Y'all done morning.
Speaker 3: Everybody is the j n V Jess Hilarryous, Charlamagne the guy we are the Breakfast Club. Law Rous is here as well. We got some special guests in the bountain. Come on now we have one.
Speaker 1: Twelve you, we have total and we have Case. Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, welcome, welcome.
Speaker 4: Man, how are you doing?
Speaker 5: And this is not a random link up y'all going on tour together?
Speaker 6: M this is the one.
Speaker 7: Twelve Room one twelve thirtieth anniversary tour. We're so excited about our brother Case and our sister's total with us.
Speaker 2: So you know, have a good time. Man. First first shows win.
Speaker 7: November health Yeah, November twelve. Staff for Connecticut Brooklyn is November thirteenth.
Speaker 3: So there's a members missing. So are the members going to be on tour or this is the tour?
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, this is okay, okay, yeah, nice my other members by yourself, we're made.
Speaker 5: Now the right time for all of y'all to come together for this tour.
Speaker 2: Oh that's a great question, bro. Honestly managed it.
Speaker 7: It just felt right it being thirty years, you know, us being in the game, so it just it just made sense for us to just get out there and just show the fans that we really appreciate what they've been doing, you know, been rocking out with us for the last thirty years man, So you know, we're really excited about it. Man, Like we're managed totally and one twelve managed by the same you know crew. So of course that was an easy, you know decision to make with that. And then in case you know, being you know bro, Yeah, that's the bro, you know what I mean, and all of us having that catalog is definitely we wanted to bring back that ninety nostalgia you feel and all.
Speaker 8: Y'all still sing thank you. That's you know, not everybody doing it, but y'all can still sing.
Speaker 2: That's important. Good, yes, man.
Speaker 3: So were you guys on the road already on tour before or you you had to break from family obligations and be like, I'm gonna need to take some time out and get on tour.
Speaker 9: We Keisha and I were on. We just started back a year ago.
Speaker 4: We came back out.
Speaker 9: We did the R and B tour part of that. Yeah, we were home. We came my family and.
Speaker 3: How difficult was that getting back on the road, getting back on dancing, getting back on How difficult was that?
Speaker 2: It?
Speaker 10: Really it wasn't.
Speaker 9: It really wasn't difficult. It's like, you know, like riding bike. Once you did it done, so it's just you know, my kids are older, Keisha still has a high school child. But so it wasn't hard at all. They're very supportive, you know. They actually was like, go do it.
Speaker 11: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 6: Rehearsals was dope. We had to you know, work it out a little bit. But like Keema said, it's like riding a bike once you get started.
Speaker 4: My vibe is very authentic.
Speaker 11: So it's you know.
Speaker 3: But people went through dances from the old videos. If you ain't hitting them them.
Speaker 9: Dances, we danced and we got our box.
Speaker 5: How did y'all find that balance back in the day between being like sexy was strong, was still street with it, Like, how did y'all find that balance?
Speaker 9: It was just natural, like that's just who we are growing up Jersey, Like how we.
Speaker 6: Were, Yeah, and that's what made us. To me, that's what made us who we were. Total the name started out as total opposites because we were all individuals in our own way, you know, So it was it wasn't like you had to buy the brand.
Speaker 11: We came as we were.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, How was the bad Boy ever back then? Growing up?
Speaker 10: Right?
Speaker 3: Because there was a time nineties two thousand it was nothing but bad Boy in the radio, nothing but bad Boy on the streets, mixtapes to clubs. How was that era where it just it felt like anything y'all did hit.
Speaker 11: It was some beautiful things.
Speaker 9: It was fun, it was. That's what we learned a lot of our grind from that whole era.
Speaker 4: Grinding just out there.
Speaker 11: It was going the time like it was just fun. It was just like a big.
Speaker 10: Yep.
Speaker 7: Yeah that's crazy us coming from Atlanta, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 12: It like it was a different it was like a different culture. So you know, you know, you can imagine how that felt.
Speaker 2: He's coming.
Speaker 12: I know, he's from the you know what I'm saying. So you're coming to New York culture culture, you know, so you know, but but it was so much fun because it was just like, okay, clubs smaller, but you know what i mean. But it was like in your face, so you know what I'm saying. So, but we learned a lot musically here m hmm. What about you for you case now, you weren't on Bad Boy, you were on Death Jam Jam. You a songwriter, you had you have the I always say, you have that one wedding song that you will get paid for for the rest of your life.
Speaker 2: Happily after.
Speaker 3: That was that was coming up for you in that and during that time because at that time you were death Jam. Death Jam was heavy pop and you was probably one of the only R and B singers at the time.
Speaker 10: I mean it was.
Speaker 13: It was cool for me, except for the only problem that they was learning on the fly how to do R and B and so I get caught up in that sometime. But yeah, I mean, you know how big they was then, so that part was cool. It was just a lot of times they had a lot of hip hop sensibilities because it's hip hop label. But one of the things that helped me was that I was the last artist that Russell personally signed to Death Jail, So I'd always call him and be like, yo, I can snitch.
Speaker 5: The record was gonna be so timeless, like touch me, tease me happily.
Speaker 13: I didn't know, but that's what I always wanted to do. Like, I never wanted to make like trendy stuff. I always wanted to make music like my parents would listen to stuff from like twenty thirty years earlier, and it would have me doing it. And so my thing was like, if I could do that, then I'd be happy and then everything else will fall in line.
Speaker 5: You worked with a Mary Jay beyond Foxy Brown, who else?
Speaker 3: There's a bunch of people ll ghost Face, ghost Face, Genuine, Tyrie, Genuine.
Speaker 10: Terry jam and Lewis.
Speaker 5: What's a session that changed the way you saw yourself as an artist?
Speaker 13: M probably Jam and Lewis because I was a huge fan and I'm like, I'm sitting in room with Jimmy, Jame and Terry Lewis and I'm like and they was like, well, yeah, Janet, we're gonna have Janet comes.
Speaker 10: She loves you, and I'm like wait.
Speaker 13: Wait wait, wait, like wait wait wait, got a call that yeah, yeah, we don't need to do that. I was just saying, I love I don't have don't have a walk in here, because that had have been different, but it was really that one because I'm like sitting there, I've been listening to him forever and I'm like dag, I'm sitting here. Another one was the first time I worked with Charlie Wilson. I had wrote a song for him and I was a huge fan. And I'm sitting in the booth behind him on the floor while he's doing his vocals and I'm tripping out like this is really happening.
Speaker 10: So it was a lot of different moments.
Speaker 3: I felt like, def Jim didn't treat you like a regular artist, right with total.
Speaker 1: In one twelve.
Speaker 3: I would see them out in the club like bad Boy would have him Mountain Death Jim artists, Deaf Gim would have them mount I didn't see you Deaf Jim put you out as much like that?
Speaker 1: Was it because you didn't want to.
Speaker 5: Go out or I probably didn't know what to do it because he was R and B.
Speaker 10: I think a lot of it.
Speaker 13: Yeah, First of all, I hate going out, okay, So if I didn't have to be there, listen, that's why you always be like yo, you had a lot of stuff about you because I know how to.
Speaker 10: Over here.
Speaker 13: So yeah, I mean I wasn't really big on going out, or when I did, it'd be I'd be somewhere else unless I had to be somewhere with them.
Speaker 9: Gotcha, did you guys? Well, Mike, I saw you say that. You feel like, you know, you guys, first album without that, you don't think that R and B would be as prevalent or as worldwide as it is right.
Speaker 7: Now, Okay, okay, So yeah, because we felt like we contributed a lot more than one twelve. You know, we walk around with modesty on our shoulders and stuff, and I know that that's you know, Huberts to say that while you're talking about modesty, right, But yeah, we we always walked around with this this mindset that, man, we'll.
Speaker 2: Let our actions speak for themselves.
Speaker 7: But we would always challenge people like find us because our niche in the industry was hip hop and R and B. We weren't just hip hop artists, I mean R and B artists, We were hip pop and R and B artists. So yeah, the mind frame was we started that whole trend. It's like the way music sounds now. One twelve had a lot to do with that because no one can really give us a group that did it the way that we did it before one twelve, Like as far as singing over hip hop beats and stuff like that, like you, I challenged in but find me a group that did it. Because back in the day, what you had the A side and you had the B side right, and then on the B side, so the records, right, they had the records, you had the uptempot records where they were singing, but they were always all that singing over uptempo beats and stuff. It was like it was confusing.
Speaker 2: Puff. One one thing that Puff told us.
Speaker 7: Was like when you're in the club, when you when you're recording a record, right, sing the song as if you're in the club drinking and you're trying to holler at the girl.
Speaker 2: You ain't gonna be in this girl talking about.
Speaker 4: Yeah you gonna go.
Speaker 2: I want to be with you, you know what I mean, It's gonna be something smoothing.
Speaker 7: So when we wrote records, when we wrote the uptimbo records and then Slim having the voice being able to just lay on the tracks the way that we did, like that started an hole ever where people now like when you hear R and B it has a hip hop element.
Speaker 2: To it as well. It's not just R and B. It's a hip hop element.
Speaker 5: Isn't that a bad boy formula or wasn't that Diddy, Like I feel like Diddy did that like with Jodysie. I feel like he did that with Mary j Blige like he did that with Total.
Speaker 2: I'll give you that.
Speaker 7: I'll give you Mary j Blige because yeah, she she helped, uh because we always say that Mary is between Mary and one twelve, but one twelve really and then yeah, puff did you know he did contribute because we came in with just we are and B we aren't b bro, like forget all that stuff man like hip hop that's gonna cheapen our sound and all this sudden stuff. And he's had the vision was like, Yo, this is what's gonna separate y'all from the drew Hills, from the Jaggets, from the you know, the Ajets and all these other groups that were coming out at the same time.
Speaker 8: And you know what that that didn't make perfect sense, right instead of all I would love a nigga to come up to me and class, let.
Speaker 1: Me tell you what exactly.
Speaker 7: That's exactly what it was because tis out of ten ain't gonna be able to sing. So he's like, bro, all of that in my ear, like I don't want to hear all that you know, so that.
Speaker 5: You agree with Mike's assessment. Not to start any arguments here, but case do you agree with that?
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean it was, it was part of it.
Speaker 13: I mean that during that era, but that's when hip hop and R and B was Yeah, yeah, pretty much, and.
Speaker 5: I feel like bad Boy was at the forefront of.
Speaker 6: Yeah, definitely, yeah, because Total was hip hop with that touch of R and B. R and B group, but I think we were more base hip hop with the touch of R and B. And Mary definitely was the pioneer of that sound.
Speaker 9: And Total, you guys are some of the I'm sorry, go ahead shout.
Speaker 11: Out to No No No.
Speaker 6: I was just gonna say when he when Puppe did the remixes with Jodasy, because Jodasy was just the R and B and then he brought the hip hop elementary.
Speaker 5: Ghost facing Ray Kuon on the Freaking You remix, you know, like I can't even I don't want to hear can't you see without Biggie part? Like I hate hated when some of the urban AC stations back in the day didn't play Raptors, just played the R and B.
Speaker 1: I hated.
Speaker 10: I mean, yeah, I would go before record.
Speaker 5: Yes, because they didn't want you didn't play played.
Speaker 3: So how did y'all sign to Puff? When did y'all meet Puffing? Puff is like, this is the group that I want. How did that start?
Speaker 9: Because the first time we met Puffy through we met these guys that introduced us to Kathy. Kathy was from Mount Vernon, Kathy, Kathy Duke, She's how we met Puff. Puff is. What's her son's what is her son's godfather? He's the little baby, the little first baby baby put closer.
Speaker 11: So that's how we met him. Can I can I bring? Can I bring them in?
Speaker 6: So Kathy one day when when we were introduced to Kathy, Kathy was like, I would love to represent y'all manage all. So we ride and ride and Kathy was like, y'all gotta always be ready, always be ready.
Speaker 11: So she pulls up, she goes upstairs. She was like, I'll be right back.
Speaker 6: She comes downstairs and she was like, Okay, I need y'all to make up a song and put Puffy's name in it. At the time, Puffy's Puffy, He's actually in the studio with Josy doing the remix. So he comes downstairs. He introduces himself and then we just start singing, but we're performing.
Speaker 11: We had him all backed up against the wall and ye had his mouth open.
Speaker 6: He was like, how do you He asked our ages came upstairs. We watched him, you know, direct Jo Tosy, and then he asked us how well did we get along in the studio, like if we had an argument, did we get back in the studio?
Speaker 11: And we were like yeah. So he was like okay. So he was like, yo, y'all, y'all, y'all sound really good. He was like, yo, I just.
Speaker 6: Encourage y'all to keep doing what y'all doing, you know, don't let nobody break y'all up. Two o'clock that morning he called Kathy. He was like, don't take them nowhere on the signum.
Speaker 1: What was the first song that y'all did? What was the first one y'all recorded?
Speaker 6: Well, we recorded songs that never went anywhere because we were just trying to find our sound. But can't you no Juicy Juicy.
Speaker 3: Juicy was the first record I did and I was working with Biggie Amazing. You gotta break it down both songs Juicy and the can't you see.
Speaker 9: The story behind how we wind up recording. Juicy is like Big was like our little big brother. Like we were close with Big, so we would frequently be in New York hanging out in the studio with him. So he called this one day. He was like, come to the city we was in. He was in the studio. So we went to the studio and he was playing Juicy. Keisha started humming something. Big he was like, y'all should go in there and put that down. So he, you know, just gave us some words or whatever, and we went in there and we put it down, and Puff had us come back the next day and do the one More Chance songs. So that's how it started. Juicy original one More Chance, the one on the album is different from the.
Speaker 1: With the voicemail in the front.
Speaker 11: Need to work on that.
Speaker 9: Juicy, It says it now when you google it. But I assume that it wasn't necessarily supposed to been a feature for me because it was his first single and stuff like that. So yeah, and I think, you know, we were new. I don't think it was something that just happened. Like we were in the studio and we got in trouble. It was our maners like, don't do that no more. But I just think they didn't plan for it to be Biggie's first album to have a feature on it.
Speaker 1: Did y'all get writing cres for it? No?
Speaker 11: No, because Big wrote it right.
Speaker 5: I didn't know y'all was on Juicy al and we know those records more chance. Dirty Version is like one of my favorite records.
Speaker 1: Wow, can't you see why can't you see it come together?
Speaker 6: We just came to the studio and the track was playing and we were like, oh snap, and then Terry Robinson Terry what was the group that Terry?
Speaker 4: The Girls?
Speaker 6: Terry Robinson's so incredible as far as songwriting, and she came.
Speaker 11: She was like, this is this is what it is? Okay verse I like that verse. She liked that verse, like that verse. We went recorded it and it was what it was. It No, No, Big wasn't on it.
Speaker 1: He was a studio.
Speaker 11: He was in the studio and then he came in and laid it down. It's crazy.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's crazy.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 9: I was gonna ask when you said we got to work on it, you can go back and make sure that you guys are credited on the song now, even though like it's been listed certain how that works.
Speaker 6: Because I think I think Pam was able to do that with hypnotized So and.
Speaker 9: Then we get our sounded we get we get performance royalties for it, like our Sound Exchange and.
Speaker 11: Stuff like that.
Speaker 9: And it has gotten updated. We had it updated on the internet. So now if you look it up, it does say feature in total. But it just didn't go out like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, crazy a lot.
Speaker 11: Of y'all, can't, you know.
Speaker 8: I just I just never like realized that it didn't say featuring your voice is definitely y'all, know ya, everybody.
Speaker 5: Know the question did y'all enjoy the moment of the nineties, Because when I look at y'all, it's like y'all are like mythical figures to me, right, Like you know what I'm saying, because y'all defined not just the genre, but like y'all would have soundtrackted our lives. Did y'all enjoy the moment?
Speaker 10: Yes?
Speaker 7: Yeah, when they said was in the building road, it.
Speaker 11: Was when we were on a high.
Speaker 6: I mean, you couldn't ask for a better label, you know, and a place to be, and especially like aspiring artists, when this is something that you dream of doing. To land on Bad Boy and I do. We remember the time clearly when bad Boy was everywhere. It was nothing to just walk in the club or walk anywhere and just get.
Speaker 11: That love, admiration and respect.
Speaker 7: Like it was whether they world wearing black leather, you know, we wearing you know, the head bands that everybody's doing like we were.
Speaker 2: It was. It was deepen than the music, Yeah, it was. It was. It was a It was a.
Speaker 6: Movement and we loved each other, yeah, and each other.
Speaker 2: A lot of ways.
Speaker 7: How the record got together, Like like we tell the story of how we we were on Big. Like if you look at listen to Life After Death, right one, twelve is all like Big he shouts us out throughout the whole album.
Speaker 2: That's because we were in the studio with him.
Speaker 7: Like so Daddy's house had the Neve, the S s L and the in the pre production room, right, so twelve is in the pre production room, Junior Mafia, Big is all in the neve room. Seeds come out and says yo, big one child. So we go in there. From here up we smoked, right, so we can't see where nobody's interest.
Speaker 2: So we filled around.
Speaker 7: So Big is just sitting there right, and and we use this all that we use the word genius. We throw the word genius out a lot, but this is true definition of genius.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 2: So we're walking in Big CS. He said, Yo, what up? And that's it?
Speaker 7: He says, nothing else, right, So everybody else, Junior Mafia, they moving around, everybody's laughing, everybody's smoking, having a good time, everybody's drinking. You know, twelve we baked out our minds because we don't smoke.
Speaker 2: We baked right.
Speaker 7: So around two three hours later, Big it's like, yo, I'm ready and the engineers like ready for what? So dude gets up, going to the booth and does I got a story to tell? One twelve CD blast Because we were in the room with us, he's listening to everybody's story. He's listening to Junior Mafia tell that story. One twelve tell that story. And then he goes in that doesn't write anything down, Now that's what a genius. Like We saw that firsthand. Like this dude never wrote anything him and faith, faith, like faith doesn't write anything down either, Like so faith don't Faith don't write down there, Jesus, Yeah, Faith don't write anything down. We watched her, Dude, you abandoned me love don't live where we was at a what's.
Speaker 2: The other studio?
Speaker 10: Bro?
Speaker 7: I forget what it's uh hit factory. She was a hit factory well doing that record with Mary J. Blige and she she just went in there and just did the whole thing without.
Speaker 2: Like, Yo, what the paper? She don't need no paper or market and nothing like.
Speaker 9: It.
Speaker 2: From life, Speak and Faith to the only two I've ever seen.
Speaker 8: I got a story to tell just straight came him, and he went at the hearing story.
Speaker 7: He's watching everybody tell their story like and heated.
Speaker 5: Perfect.
Speaker 9: Bro.
Speaker 2: He kind of say the hell out of that record.
Speaker 5: Him and j Z the only people that do that.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, right down there.
Speaker 4: That is a gift for sure.
Speaker 5: But back in the day, it's like R and B used to celebrate like love and heartbreak, but now like it feels transactional. What do you'all think made vulnerability cool back then?
Speaker 12: Well, you know, I just think that it was a time. It was just a time period where you know, where everything was going in the world. We used music as our getaway. It was our medicine, you know what I'm saying. Anybody remember the nineties when we came to the club and we came anywhere. Everybody came to party, to dance.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 12: You know, now you're going you go into places. I don't know how it is too much here in New York as much, but I know in Atlanta everybody's staring at each other everywhere there on the phone, you know, and it's like it's a different type of a feel. So you know, so it's his homecoming, if it's homecoming, and.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's true, but regular clubs.
Speaker 12: But even when you say that, you know, the alumni us cranking it up, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: So you know, yeah, back then R and B was kind of it was more hyperbolic, you know what I mean. It was.
Speaker 7: It was, you know, good damn will. We're not climbing, no highest mountain, swimming, no deeper sea, but we gave you we're not doing all of that, but we gave you the impression we sung it and maybe believe that that that was possible. Anything was possible in there. And nowadays, man, it's just it's different.
Speaker 11: The music is too, and we came from good music from my parents.
Speaker 13: That I was about to say, I think the other thing that did it was hip hop became more hyperbolic, definitely a good word for that. But when it merged with R and B so much, it became not cool to have feelings. But I guess that's how people felt. And then the strip cup club culture got involved. When it's everything is that And I always say that, like with everything that's going on in the world and people's lives, you got to be able to sing about something more than threesomes in the strip clubs, something else going on, what I'm saying, And nobody really does that. Well, I won't say nobody, but a lot of the music doesn't have that no more. They don't have the feelings, that don't have the vulnerability. Like you said, it's all trying to.
Speaker 2: Be rappers, basically, all the things trying to and a lot of that.
Speaker 5: Technology so crazy because even the rappers back then, most of the rappers back then, we loved him because they were vulnerable. You love pot because he was vulnerable. You love Big he was vulnerab Kanye.
Speaker 10: Because he was because vulnerable.
Speaker 2: You can't be vulnerable.
Speaker 4: You were so vulnerable.
Speaker 8: At the end of I think it's missing you. You said, I can't sing no more.
Speaker 10: I was fighting for my life, for my life singing that song.
Speaker 8: And I was all day listen. So when you said I can't sing the more you really couldn't or you was.
Speaker 10: No, I was sick. You were yeah.
Speaker 13: And when I got there, what happened was I went to LA on Monday to do Missing You. We're supposed to do it on Tuesday. I don't know what happened. My voice went out, so I spent all day Tuesday Wednesday trying to get it back. And Thursday it came back. So what did I do? I went hanging out with Jah and so I went to the club and then that night we did living it up. Then it left again the next day because I was out all night. So it got to Friday. It was like, we don't do it today, we can't do it. So I went in there. I was drinking stuff all day, wouldn't come back. Got to his studios like he can't sing or talk, so he's like, can you try right, I'm like all right, So I went there once he said keep you do it one more time and I got to the end and I felt it going. I'm like and then I said I can't sing. Nobody want to say it so I sang it. That'm like, I'm knocking on the glass and I.
Speaker 10: Know that that was it. That was it years and I'm knocking the mind. That's why they sing nothing else. I came out and tapped him on the shoulder. I'm like, and that was I just.
Speaker 4: Literally thought you missed her so much that you can't now.
Speaker 10: I was fighting for my life and then what crazy thing about that?
Speaker 13: I got nominated for Grammy.
Speaker 10: But that's the craziest part. They nominated for Grammys for both them.
Speaker 4: Songs Amazing, which was crazy.
Speaker 10: Man, I was fighting that night.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: How do how do y'all balance egos? You know, you know, when you're dealing with three legendary acts who all had their individual moments, you know, gratitude.
Speaker 7: It's it's a respect level, you know what I mean. It's like because I'm I'm actually fans. Yeah, actually I love that, and I know it sounds cliche with it, but it's the truth. And you know, we we so often we don't tell the truth. You know, we're getting this type or form or whatever, but we are genuinely like total was our first pick to be on this Room one twelve tour case was our first pick to be on this because in case his catalog, we just spoke about his catalog ridiculous, total, ridiculous, one twelve ridiculous, and we wanted to bring back that nineties nostalgia, you know, and just bring back that whole era of I knew where I was when I heard only You for the first time, you know, I knew where I was when I heard Cupid, when I heard I'm Missing You, and when I heard can't you See for the first time, Like I remember where I was when I heard these It was to be where I was.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 13: I think that ego is healthy on a tour, especially like this, because you have to if you use it the right way. Like for me, it's like, Okay, I'm gonna try to kill everybody. They're gonna feel the same. And then the fans the one that win, as opposed to people who just go up there and don't care, like I just got.
Speaker 11: To We come from that, you got you got to come from that, right, We come from that.
Speaker 6: Came tour and be like, well, totally when twelve just killed, y'all got Okay, that's how you.
Speaker 10: Gotta do it.
Speaker 13: Common and that's that's the because the only people that win is the fans.
Speaker 1: Was there ever a low time for y'all?
Speaker 3: Because I feel like my daughter's twenty four and she loves nineties music more than anything. R It's probably because dad plays it in the house. Mom and Dad played in the house.
Speaker 1: But I just I feel like, was there a low time?
Speaker 3: And then I feel like nineties just came back and is stronger than even this year, is like.
Speaker 1: This decade's music. Was it ever a low time for y'all?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it definitely was.
Speaker 7: I think for us, the resurgence of the nineties, you know, was was something that was what we appreciated more than anything, and that happened about what maybe almost like six seven years ago.
Speaker 12: It was like where the pandemic around that you didn't know when you didn't know what the state of music and how the industry and how we were going to perform was going to be. Remember, everybody started experimenting with the whole you know, taping, you know, and then the video. It was just, yeah, I thought we were going to just it's going to be that, you know, so so much gratitude now to you know what I mean, see it for where it is, and and we feel like it's a blessing that of all the errors they chose.
Speaker 5: To pick, they picked the nineties.
Speaker 12: You know what I'm saying, So thank you.
Speaker 5: I would want to go back, just I really want to experience it in New.
Speaker 11: York, like left at Me.
Speaker 9: I think at that one time you left at Me time. I just feel like the time that you guys were like like the top, it was such a good time here. It doesn't seem real, like when we hear the stories or like I this y'all talk about just walking in the studio, Big Biggie's just there and like, you know, I can't imagine I'm young and just being like on top. Yeah, like in that time, but.
Speaker 7: You're working so hard that you don't even realize it, you know what I mean, Like you don't even realize what it took us to step away from it, you know. And and okay, we can use it as our downtime, you know, and say that that was the time for us to go back and look at it and say, man, we we did more than just seeing you know, we contributed to a culture like we we are part of.
Speaker 2: History, you know. Culture. Yeah, so that was amazing.
Speaker 7: It's looking at it now being older, like you're looking at it now because my kids now they're they're going back and they googling like dad, y'all, y'all did pieces of green in the video? My kid, no, because I don't go around I don't. I don't go around here looking, you.
Speaker 2: Know, I don't. I don't do that.
Speaker 7: You know, like they just they they grew up as normal as I I hoped I could, because I could teach them to be because it's such a mental strain that the industry takes.
Speaker 2: Like it gives, but.
Speaker 7: It also takes. One of the things is, you know, the lack of you know, the mental health that comes along. You know what I'm saying with that, because you're you're inundated with all of this. You know, you have to be perfect every time you see you're out, you all, your face has always got to be right, your clothes got to always be right or man, they don't fell off, bro, Like I just came from the jail, you know.
Speaker 3: But I think the camera messed up. The camera messed it up because when like the reason I.
Speaker 1: Asked if he was out is I would see everybody out right.
Speaker 3: I was a kid growing up, so I would go to grands toom and see y'all one hundred twenty fifth stri I would go to the tunnel and see y'all in the tunnel and different things, And there was no VIP area. That's what it was, and it gave you a connection with an artist, but there was no phone, so it was no I'm taking a picture.
Speaker 1: It was no The only thing that you would possibly.
Speaker 3: Do if you want, and nobody want to look corny, but you might ask for a order, but nobody wanted to come to club and do that.
Speaker 1: So it gave you you joined the moment, and I feel like people are not enjoying the moment.
Speaker 13: To the micro and everybody had I hate when you come out on stage and everybody got a phone.
Speaker 10: I'm like, it's happening right here in front of you.
Speaker 13: And then for me anyway, I don't think that because I think part of when you perform is the it's how it sounds, is how it looks, but it's the energy in the room, and you can never if you go back and watch that, you're not going to get that energy. The energy is right there in front of you. Like for me, I would maybe take a picture, quick video, then I would put my phone down.
Speaker 10: I went to see Stevie wonder. I ain't even take a picture.
Speaker 13: I sat there because there's an energy that goes with it, and I think a lot of people miss that because you're like this and I'm like, yo, it's right in front of you.
Speaker 10: If you put the phone down, it's happening right.
Speaker 8: There exactly because you got to watch the phone to see if you got the singing off key.
Speaker 13: And so I'm like, am I'm messing up? When I see the videos, I'm like that's I'm like, hold on, did I just ain't?
Speaker 11: No way, I just did that.
Speaker 10: I did that.
Speaker 6: I'm like, man, I'm like, I've never went live ever went live on Instagram, and I wasn't expecting this.
Speaker 11: Beyonce came out and she just started speaking. I'm all live.
Speaker 6: I'm like, I'm on live, y'all dos b and she started speaking and I started crying. I was not expecting. I was like, okay, guys, I gotta go. Literally, I might have been filming for like ten seconds. You gotta be in a moment because it's an experience, you know what I mean?
Speaker 5: Watching it back is no, it's not I wanted to ask you, Kim what was your household like growing up? Because I got four daughters, and you know, a couple of them express wanting to be in the arts. You and your sister Vita, y'all actually made it happen with that, your parents pushing y'all to both be in the industry of.
Speaker 10: What was no.
Speaker 9: God's plan. Vita was always a lot more outgoing than me, so it wasn't surprising for me that she got into it. No, like my mama had us in church. You know, my mom was what's a struggle for her? So like I know, for me, all I wanted to do was just be successful. I wind up singing. We sung in the choir and stuff like that. But I wind up being in a group and entertaining the industry through Keisha. When we became friends, she heard me sing, but it was just something that we just always did. My mom sung back up for Ritha. Franklin grew up in that era, but it was pretty normal at home. Like I really honestly didn't have time to dream because I was so busy trying to figure out, Okay, how I'm gonna help my mom. Like I needed to work, So you know, that was my plan as soon as I was old enough. So Nope, she didn't push us. She supported us like she was our number one fan, but she didn't push us to be into it.
Speaker 11: Being an.
Speaker 9: Missy Elliott. Oh, Missy tove that she had a rap voice and be don't stop rapping.
Speaker 5: So this is this when y'all did What About Us? So I was it around this time?
Speaker 9: Well, yeah, like Missy, we had met Missy before she started writing What About Us and stuff like cause, like you said, everybody kind of hung around each other.
Speaker 11: So Missy we became a while too.
Speaker 9: We became Missy and I was really close at one time and she was out my house at Jersey and her Vita talking and she told Vito you should rap. Beta started rapping.
Speaker 7: Wow, got a story for that too. So Missy used to hang out at Daddy's house all the time. Yeah, and so she was like, yo, puff, I want to get on this record. So we wrote a record for Geena Thompson. We wrote that right Missy came in. She was like, yo, I need to get on this jone. I need to get on it. And then that's the first time you heard her do the.
Speaker 2: The record.
Speaker 7: That was the first time that you know, she was in Sister, She was in the Girl Sister at that point, but she had came up and she was like, Yo, I need to get on one of these records, this record, one twelve them I'm writing there.
Speaker 2: So she was just all the time.
Speaker 7: She was just in Daddy's house, man, And that was the energy that was around bad boys, Like we were just all in each other's studio, like he might come in here and seeing this real quick Faith, you know, come in and seeing this record, Like a lot of times it wasn't, you know, just it was by design. It was really just being in the room at the right place at the right time, you know, and just and that's making them have his.
Speaker 13: Faith wrote the song that got me signed to Shit Wow Wow, Crazy Wow. It was a song called Don't Be Afraid and Misai, who was managing me at the time, got Faith to write it. Which there's a hilarious story for that though. We had to me and my homeboy KB shout out to Murray. We went to you know, you had to get the actual CD. So we had a rental car. We drive to Brooklyn to meet Faith to at that crib. She plays it for me. I take the CD, big comes in. He don't know us. It's ninety four, so he like, She's like, yeah, this case, he's an artist, blah blah blah.
Speaker 10: He's looking.
Speaker 13: So we leave, We go outside the round. The car won't start. They leave and come back. We're still sitting there because we're trying to call somebody to come. Were sitting outside the crib for like maybe three and a half hours. I'm like, we look suspect as hell.
Speaker 2: It's up.
Speaker 13: Were sitting there. I'm like, yo, if I was there, I start shooting. I hope they don't. So we sitting there. Finally we leave, and then when they had it was a radio station that I was. I was hosting. They was I was coming out, Big was coming in and we laughed about it, but he remembered that. I'm like, yo, this looks crazy to call with. And I'm like, yeah, we're sitting across from his crib. Now it's dark. He two strangers that was just in the crib. I'm like, yeah, this is crazy.
Speaker 10: Then it was cell phone.
Speaker 13: We were going to the cell phones.
Speaker 10: This was in ninety four.
Speaker 1: That's write a lot for Total. I heard he used to write a lot for Total. No, that's not true, that's not true.
Speaker 11: That's no.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 6: I just posted the other day and I wrote, tell me what you want? Really, I mean, I said, tell me what you want?
Speaker 11: Tell me.
Speaker 6: So that's when Omar and I were just friends and he would drive out to Jersey and we would just listen to music, free style, out of music.
Speaker 11: I played him. I was like, this is a song that they attracted. They just gave us. We just started freestyling, took the puff.
Speaker 4: He was like, Yo, this is crazy.
Speaker 11: We played it, Faith came in, Faith pinned some more. That's made that album.
Speaker 3: Most people don't know Omar was a rapper, adult rapper from course, a dancer and then dancing, A rapper, yeah, a singer.
Speaker 1: I didn't know the singer part.
Speaker 14: Oh yeah, I can't sing vision.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 6: They were I think I want to say death Jam. Really yeah, they were like signed to death Jam.
Speaker 7: And really sing yeah, thank you.
Speaker 10: Yeah. But I remember, I remember he was in it before they signed.
Speaker 5: I want to asked she and Keeme it back in the day. What made y'all decide to go up to the radio station and press. Wendy Williams like, what did she say to y'all that that caused y'all said, you know, we got to go see her there. No, hell no, wait, before my time. How was the nineties right?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 11: I think yeah.
Speaker 6: The window when it was in the window, you know, and she was playing with our money.
Speaker 11: She just was disrespectful.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and we had already sent the warning and then she just kept saying like first Wendy was just like, oh, we got something.
Speaker 11: And then we came up. We came up to the radio station. We sang.
Speaker 6: She was like, oh we sang a cappella. She was like, oh, y'all can sing. And it was that it was just like, oh, that's your jersey, and I hear that they can't pay rent and they can't pay their rent and stuff. And we were like, you know what, enough is enough because at that time, that's all she was doing. It's like, listen, you know, when we get these optunities as black artists, we gotta uplift them and talk about your opportivity that they do right. Instead of you give a moment a blitz of something that they did positive and then something that happened negative, you're playing that all day.
Speaker 11: So we were just like enough is enough. K was like, can we go up there?
Speaker 9: Because I didn't, you know, I know, politically we would have been in trouble for but he just went up there. So we asked permission and he didn't say.
Speaker 6: He was like, go ahead with what is that that you had to say? And she was like no, no, no, talk that stuff right now. And then her her husband at the time security, he had said something to our security like come on, man, come on, and she ran to the car.
Speaker 11: She got in the.
Speaker 6: Car, and then we never heard no more from her.
Speaker 5: No, she just tells the story. You say, y'all sent her a warner. Was you all the want to sit the fish?
Speaker 13: No, I don't really want you to. Boss said that dead fish in the male Yeah, somebody said that he sleeps with the fishes.
Speaker 10: Yet he said that.
Speaker 13: She said that I was Boston messing piece of boss around that time. It happened around the time when I just signed and I just met her shout out there too. She passed a few years ago. But yeah, I didn't even know about that Wendy you used to. I can't say nothing about Wendy because she would find out stuff about me, but she never she would call me and be like, look this was I'm hearing and she would send me the faxes. I don't know why she looked out for me. I'm glad she did because, uh some of it. Some of it was dead on No, not a crush.
Speaker 5: On me, right, But the reason I missed that was because y'all was able to pull up on people. Now, people just be in the basement behind the computers talking.
Speaker 2: That's the worst.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I gotta go, guys, I don't know why they said.
Speaker 8: Damn all right, real quick, all right, I went two more questions. Did y'all like Tianna Taylor?
Speaker 9: Uh?
Speaker 4: How you want it?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 4: Because she's sampled? Tell me y'all like that?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 8: I love that? Okay, perfect? And k King Holmes is on it as well. But yeah, I thought that was that was about that took back you know what I'm saying Like, I thought.
Speaker 11: That was dope, stay tuned saying something with that.
Speaker 8: Okay, a little case, yo, the best man I can be. Now with all those egos you got, jim tyres r o in yourself, how did that studio session go?
Speaker 4: I felt like it.
Speaker 13: Was cool, but I'm gonna tell you it probably would have not been as cool. But it's Jimmy, Jimmy Terry Lewis, so yeah, you're gonna kind of act right even if you don't want to.
Speaker 1: Okay, So it's them, did y'all record at once?
Speaker 10: Like we all flew in him card at the same time. Yo, I was the last one.
Speaker 13: I got there because my flight got delayed. But yeah, we was all there. Actually, I was having a party at Jimmy's a platinum party at night that I missed because I had to go up there and do that. But it was cool because it's Jam and Lewis, like, you ain't gonna get in there, and I asked with them.
Speaker 4: That was the funniest music video I've ever seen.
Speaker 1: I'll be seeing the memes now.
Speaker 8: Y'all was going in soho who did the most?
Speaker 10: I don't know. I was worried about me at.
Speaker 1: Talking about in the video.
Speaker 4: Shoot who do you feel did the most?
Speaker 5: Always back then?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, but who do you think did the most? Is definitely did the most?
Speaker 13: I think be probably out of r l in Terre's okay, because I seen the mean reason he was like, Yo, Terry's threw the hat and face. I'm like, I never noticed that. I think that was a I think he was throwing it and he walked I don't know. I was high. I was high, and I'm looking at them. I'm like, yeah, I'm not doing all that. Hit the blood again, I'm like, I'm not.
Speaker 10: Yes, We're my glasses.
Speaker 4: That's one of my favorite songs.
Speaker 8: But I just always wanted to ask one of y'all who did the most, because the most was done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was fun.
Speaker 13: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, now that it wasn't no Jamie Lewis there, so I already knew that was gonna be different from the session.
Speaker 10: Yeah, that was gonna be a thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so that's what I wanted to Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, when the talk kicks off, what do you want fans to feel when they see all of y'all on stage?
Speaker 2: That nostalgia?
Speaker 7: Man, we want, we want, we want how we're talking about the nineties and and just bringing back that area we won't we want with so much BS that's going on in the world, that we want to be what we set out to be, which is a refuge for all that BS.
Speaker 2: You know that's going on in the in the real world.
Speaker 7: So if we can give you an hour, an hour and a half, three hours of just being able to separate yourself from Bills and these bad ass kids hours just for a little while, Like that's that's what we're you know, that's our mission. You know, we want we want to feel the nostalgia. I want to go back and listen to all the records that because we're in the you know, rehearsal now and in total show is amazing, tough.
Speaker 6: So it was one twelve, crazy, high energy when everybody have a good time to have, you.
Speaker 2: Know, just good just reminisce.
Speaker 7: Yeah, November thirteenth, we will be in Brooklyn was the King Stairs. Yeah, we'll Stafford, Connecticut on.
Speaker 2: The twelve twelve.
Speaker 1: That's so many questions. You got to know, we appreciate it. I just gotta ask one. Mo'm sorry, no one else.
Speaker 9: Beat.
Speaker 3: Were y'all confused when you first heard that beat? No no, because there was snares all over that place.
Speaker 11: We did not know what was going to be put over it?
Speaker 6: Okay, because that was Terry once again Terry Robinson.
Speaker 11: It's like, how are you going to write over there?
Speaker 10: What I said?
Speaker 3: I heard?
Speaker 6: It went crazy. It's one of my favorites. Hard if we could just get all of those acts on on the stage one day, We're gonna stay hopeful.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah wow brand Its crazy alright, Well, thank you guys for joining us.
Speaker 1: One twelve to one, get them, take it, and it's The Breakfast Club. Good morning every.
Speaker 5: Day a week ago, click your ass up The Breakfast Club.
Speaker 10: Finish for y'all.
Speaker 1: Dump