Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys Let's go. Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 3: Absolutely?
Speaker 2: Ready for a break? Yeah, And so much for that. It's time for the Break on.
Speaker 4: Dallas Cowboys dot Com.
Speaker 5: Were on right.
Speaker 6: With Ambar Garcia Bryan brought us, Nick Harris and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 7: It is Wednesday, April sixteenth, twenty twenty five, Season twenty one, Episode number six. Welcome to the latest edition of the Break for Life. S WBC Mortgage Studios at the Star, presented by LGLG is the world's number one OLED TV brand for eleven years and counting. See why at LG dot Com. Forward slash O led Evo. Welcome to the show. We've got forty five minutes of Cowboys talk for you guys. We're going to continue our position series today. I'll talk a little bit about the running back position and if we get time, and then if we have enough time, we'll also get to the linebacker position.
Speaker 2: We'll see how that goes.
Speaker 7: But before we get to those things, there were a couple of little news and notes that I wanted to hit with the crew. I think the first thing I wanted to talk about is not the Cowboys, but another player on another team who has been the team has said they are going to let him and they will be looking for a deal to possibly trade him. One Jalen rams cornerback of the Miami Dolphins. My question for you guys is, and I'll read first Chris Cryer, who is the GM of the Miami Dolphins. This was this quote in a press conference. At the end of the day, Jalen did not ask for a trade. We went through the process and I just felt after numerous conversations and talking last week to week with Jalen and his agent, that it was best to move forward. It was in the best interest to Miami Dolphins and Jalen Ramsey. It is clear that they are looking to trade him. What I've read according to one Mo Moten on bleacher Report, he said it could cost the team that would acquire him as much as twenty one point one million in twenty twenty five, and in his words, the final three years is set up to be a pay as you go, So essentially, what I think he's getting at is you could maneuver in the last three years to kind of either keep him or not keep him, or pay him or or a justice contents. There are some flexibility in the final three years. That all being said, would you be willing to go out and trade for Jalen Ramsey and what would you be willing to give up for?
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's a good question.
Speaker 9: I'm sitting here pulling up his contract and what that would look like from a financial perspective. So you mentioned the twenty one point one correct that.
Speaker 2: Would be impossible this year.
Speaker 9: I've Cowboys currently have right around thirty seven million dollars in cap space, So you know, let's let's say that they do make this type of addition, they would be kind of limited to making cheap editions the rest of the way at different spots and depth units on.
Speaker 8: Both sides of the ball. Is that a bad thing?
Speaker 9: Not necessarily, I mean it's I can't imagine that they're going to be paying more than a couple million to a player anyway over the course of the next year, so as it counts towards this cap. But it is something that you have to manage because cap space is also determined by practice squad elevations. It's determined by guys you have to sign here in the season if injuries come about. I mean, you have to be able to plan for those types of things. It would just make the financials a little bit tighter. But you talk about the talent for Jalen Ramsey, what he could bring to the field. Granted he's not what he was when he first started his career, but I still think he plays at a Pro Bowl level. This is a really talented corner that has made plays for Miami. He'd be thirty going into next season, so he would still have some time left on his deal and both as well as his age. But what I'd be willing to give up considering the financials, considering everything around it, probably one of those compensatory fifths that would be probably the max of what I would be willing to give up for that.
Speaker 4: You're in a situation right now where we've had some corners that got extended here recently, and Jalen Ramsey has always seen himself as one of those guys, and so what you're gonna have to deal with. I would not make this deal unless I had assurance that Jalen Ramsey was not going to hold out on me and ask for more money this year or just in general. And if you look at what he did when he left the Rams to go to the Dolphins, what do he do? He signed an extension. He is one of these guys that is very He's got a lot of pride. He wants to be one of the top paid corners in the league, and he consistently has been that guy. But we've seen some contracts that have become pretty significant. You look at with Stingley down there with the Texans, you look at with Cirtan in Denver. There's been some contracts that have gone up remarkably. And so to me, I'm not gonna make this deal if that's the case. I'm just not I'm just saying.
Speaker 7: If he is actively asking to be to renegotiate, negotiate the contract and be up there at the top.
Speaker 4: If he immediately wants to be paid one of the top three corners in this league, I'm not interested in this trade. But if he's going to come in and play under the current contract, and as you mentioned, Derek pay as we go kind of thing, I'd be interested. And I think Nick has got the compensation right. I know I've reached out to several might call my gang of seven around the league that and they have they kind of feel like that, Well, hey, you know you don't. It's not as steep as you might think. I think the fifth round compensation is very fair there, and so to me, I'm I'm only interested if I get assurance from him and his agent that he's not going to come in here and say I demand that I become one of the top three paid corners like he's been in the past. And if we can agree on that, then I'm going to continue to explore. If not, I'm probably going to play with him somewhere else or play against him somewhere else.
Speaker 10: Yeah, Tylan, wise, I would absolutely love to have him here. His the guy that we've looked at since he was drafted, you know, when we were talking about the draft of his career. He's the guy that the Cowboys are we in podcasts, in the media, we're talking and looking at a whole lot.
Speaker 5: Obviously didn't end up.
Speaker 10: Here with the team, but I think talent wise, yes, but right now it just doesn't really make a whole lot of sense. I think financially, yes, they could potentially do it, but I think it does put you in a tight spot, just like Nick mentioned, and when it comes to what that also would bring, just like Brian said, I don't think the Cowboys are in a position where they're willing to deal with something like that. They already have things that they're still trying to figure out. We have Micah Parson's deal coming up, and you mentioned the contract extension that they just did with Trevon Diggs. Also, that's something that Bland is coming up as well. So I think it doesn't make a whole lot of sense financially in that sense. But and also the time that this is happening, I think, and I truly believe right now, the Cowboys are one hundred percent focused on the draft. We're eight days away from the start of the draft, and this is a time where they just center in and they're just let's developed, let's bringing talent, new talent developed, developed.
Speaker 8: So yeah, I would like.
Speaker 5: It, but I don't see it happening.
Speaker 8: Yeah that, Brian, eight days, eight days?
Speaker 4: How about that?
Speaker 2: How much does the deron Bland into that?
Speaker 4: A lot? Yeah?
Speaker 8: A lot?
Speaker 4: You know, they they they feel like they feel like that they have a young talent with Bland, and you know, is it going to cost them. You know, maybe it will cost them the money that that Ramsey's currently making, maybe you know more. I mean, you know, Bland is Bland did a great job of coming back from the injury, had a little bit of a slow start, but you know, picked up things. They think the world to him. But they're their corner situation. And Nick will tell you this as well. They're looking at corners in this draft. I mean they're and there's several of them, and you know, they've got they've got a couple of these guys that they could look at, whether it's it's at twelve, or they could look at a guy at forty four, you know, or they could look at a guy there in the third round. So there are plenty of corners. You know that they have the talent of Jalen Ramsey. Some of them do, absolutely some of them do, and some of them will be a lot less expensive. But I think the Bland thing, I think that plays in their mind a little bit here when they're when they're talking about this too. Jalen Ramsey as an addition would be outstanding, but they have to think about other other things as far as players they currently have and maybe players they want to extend.
Speaker 9: Jalen Ramsey's making twenty four point one million per year right now, that's the third highest clip in the NFL. Trayvon Diggs is at the ninth highest clip in the NFL. So if you were to add Jalen Ramsey to these books, you'd basically be telling de Ron Bland, hey, you got one year, here, go shine and get you a big contractbel I'll make go around.
Speaker 10: And I know, no, he he's the ideal player.
Speaker 8: No.
Speaker 5: I mean you look at Darron Blank.
Speaker 10: I just cannot imagine where a situation where you don't give him the contract that he deserves. He has been such a good player for you. He's so problematic, he doesn't causes an issue. He's so not a flashy player, doesn't have that extravagant personality. He just comes in, does what he does, does what he needs to do, focuses on what he needs to achieve. He came back from that injury. I thought he did a great job. Obviously it takes him a little while, but I thought he did an excellent job. And he's so dedicated to the game, and we've seen the impact that he brings when he's playing on the field.
Speaker 5: So it's just a hard situation.
Speaker 4: There can ask a real quick question, and Nick Ill asked this of you. Would you consider playing him at safety like Charles Woodson did late in his career.
Speaker 8: Talking about Ramsey or Ramsey Ramsey.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean play him is a free I mean the guy has got toughness, he's got range. Yeah, I mean he's going to get in on tackles.
Speaker 2: You could.
Speaker 4: You know, he plays with his eyes eyes, he gambles a little bit. I mean, he's The question was when he was coming out, if we all remember, we were all talking about and really Rod Marinelli, the administration didn't really know is he a safety or is he a corner? And you know, Rod and that group signed off on Zeke because they felt like that Zeke would help him, you know, in the game with yards and stuff and keep the defense off the field. So you know, but they had questions like we playing at corner? Do we play at safety? Well, he's become an All Pro safety, was gonna be a corner. But would you consider it late in the career shift like we saw with the Charles.
Speaker 8: Woodson, Yeah, that would I think it could certainly work.
Speaker 9: You talk about his range, you mentioned that he's played majority of ly in zone schemes in the past, and he's been a ballhawk. I think he could be able to track really well. He's got good tackling too. I wouldn't have any issues with that.
Speaker 4: But the money, right, I was to say that money, we have great ideas until they say we'll pay.
Speaker 8: The bills, still be counting on the books.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think there was an assumption that you just made that if they were to do this, that would mean that they'd be telling Bland you only have one more year. Are we sure that Bland would be the person that they might opt to let go versus maybe moving on at some point from Trayvon Diggs.
Speaker 8: Well, yeah, and that's certainly part of it.
Speaker 4: I think fastball Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, but know and Igat, I think here's the thing. Here's the thing when you think about roster management.
Speaker 4: Oh no, you're you're not rong half three.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't think you're not. Three cornerbacks are high they paid. So if you're going to.
Speaker 7: Go the route of going out and getting a Jayler Malliams, which quite frankly, I just don't think the Cowboys are going to do. I think they're happy with the two they have. But if they were going to do it, I think they would have to have a conversation of who are the two we want long term? That would and that's where you have to make this and I don't so I don't think it's necessarily a foegun conclusion if they go that route, that Bland is the one that they say goodbye to.
Speaker 9: Yeah, let's uh, let's say that they give Deron Bland a twenty three million dollars per year to deal. Maybe that's a little high, but let's just let's just say that considering how the market could change over the course.
Speaker 4: In between I'm sorry, in between somebody, did you have somebody mind? Do you have something?
Speaker 7: Not?
Speaker 6: Really?
Speaker 9: I have him right above Jay R Alexander, right above aj Trell. I just think that's probably the money you could earn next offseason. You know, talk about Derek Stingley getting thirty j C hornetting twenty five. Yeah, if you're paying him twenty three per year over the course of let's say four years, the dead money slash cap savings that you would have by letting go of Trayvon Digs next off season with a post June one cut you'd have to be squeezing some pennies in twenty twenty six, but it would almost be a direct compensation going from twenty seven to twenty eight. The savings you would have in twenty seven for letting go of Trayvon digs twenty and a half million, twenty twenty eight, twenty one million. So then you would be trying to come up with two or three million to to, you know, make it even for Adron Bland situation going forward. But I yeah, that's that's where things get a little bit tough. But all three of these guys would still be counting towards the books in twenty five. Granted Bland still on his rookie deal. But I truly believe that they have to figure out how to Paydron Bland before anything. And that includes, Hey, if Jalen Ramsey makes this too tight or we're gonna have to do some gymnastic to make it happen, then I wouldn't make it happen. I think Deron Blands that important towards the future of this defense.
Speaker 7: Here's the other thing I would wonder, and I don't know if this is possible, but is there a way to basically rent Jalen Ramsey, so you can take on the salary for this year and then after this year move on. I would love that because it gives me an opportunity to be able to protect myself in the event Trayvon Diggs's injury lasts deeper into the season. And if it doesn't and Trayvon's ready to play, great. I got three corners, and by the way, you need three, you got three corners.
Speaker 2: You can roll up there. You just slide blam right in there into the slot.
Speaker 7: And I love those three cornerbacks together at least for a year. And then going into next year, you move on from Ramsey. You let him go out and get his big deal from someone else. So, Brian, when you said I.
Speaker 5: Will cope full of creativity today.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm just saying.
Speaker 7: When Brian was like, I wouldn't do it if he was gonna want the bigger contract, I agree with you, But I would only do it if he was gonna hold out next year. If he agreed to come and play this year at this amount of money, and then after that, if you want to go out and search the market and try to get a better deal, we'll let you do it.
Speaker 4: I'm actually I have to get that assurance though, that when excuse me, when I trade for you, that you're not going to immediately watch this year and say this year, wait a minute, I need I need closer to the thirty million dollars is the top salary. I need closer. I need twenty seven, you know. And I'm like, wait a minute, No, you're this and this is what we see if you're if you immediately want to come in here, and I just a gut feeling I think he would. I think he would come in here and he would want to be paid like one of the top corners. This guy's a very prideful guy. He always has believed that he is one of the top corners in this league.
Speaker 2: And he is and he is he is he is.
Speaker 4: But at a certain level, you know, you have to think about, okay, what's best because you, like we said, you've already got a young guy on the on the roster that you want to get done. And I applaud you for bringing up digs. That was one of those times where I'm like, going, okay, we're going to talk about digs here, you know, And we did, and I think that's something that that needs to be discussed when you talk about team building and going forward.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think at the end of the day, if it were all like, if it all could work out perfectly for the Cowboys, they could have Jalen Ramsey here for a year and protect themselves with regards to the injury to Digs, and then moving forward, your two cornerbacks are Digs and Bland. I think they're younger. I think they're both on the com I think they're all they're growing, and I think they're growing together. And I think if I could just get to a point where I could see both of them on the field for seventeen games.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hell give me fifteen games. If I could see both of them on the field together, you know, Like, I think that could be really great for the Cowboys.
Speaker 4: If Carson would have played better, we wouldn't have this discussion. Fair probably wouldn't be having this discussion if Carson was a guy that like when Bland was rookie and then played and we're all of a sudden, we're like going, Wow, this guy's really getting it. This guy's a good player, and then you know, but Carson didn't do that, So now we have to have discussions about corners at twelve, corners at forty four. You know, we have to have these discussions, because you're absolutely right they don't right now. They're pretty spot with corner, they really really are, so to me, yeah, a lot of question mark, a lot of question marks there. And you know they probably feel better about other positions than they do corner. And that's why at twelve I wouldn't I wouldn't say that corner's out out not in the picture there.
Speaker 7: And I will say this to Bryant from that standpoint, if the Dallas Cowboys go out and invest the first round pick in cornerback, I still think the same conversation comes up because about about Diggs or Bland, like you're gonna do you if you are? Yeah, are really going to great around because if you got a first round pick, your expectation you want him on the field.
Speaker 2: Put him on the field all the time, right, I agree?
Speaker 7: And then that questions like who is the other starter and who's the person that's left out. It may not be a problem early on if Diggs is nursing the injury and coming back from injury, but when he's one hundred percent healthy, how does that all play out, and I think that becomes really really interesting.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 7: You know, you can never have too many corners, don't get me wrong, but you certainly want that first round pick out there.
Speaker 4: He hasn't. The problem with Diggs is he hasn't really been healthy the last couple of years. I mean, that's that's the real issue here right now. So to me, you know, you have to you have to consider all things.
Speaker 7: All right, we are going to take our first break. When we come back, we'll dive into our position analysis. We'll go into the running back position. Man, there's so many questions, but also a lot of new pieces. We'll talk about how those pieces fit when we come back. This is Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 11: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and T five g. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G Fast, reliable, Secure five D.
Speaker 2: Requires compatable plan and device five G may not be available in your areas. See add dot com slash five G for you fifty deals.
Speaker 1: It's the official min's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right now Cowboys fans could get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five East skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 12: Don't put off getting your oil change Dallas. Take five oil Change, a proud partner of the Cowboys is faster than you think. They're so fast you don't even have to get out of your car. You can take advantage of take fives, stay in your car ten minute oil change at any of their locations across the Dallas area, and remember at take five you stay in.
Speaker 4: Your car because they're faster than you think.
Speaker 12: That means you won't even have time to show off your best touchdown celebration Take five, the official oil change of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 8: From the field to the festivities.
Speaker 13: Lu Casey embodies the essence of luxury and tradition. Handcrafted with meticulous precision, each pair offers unmatched comfort and style. Stand tall while you're tailgating or cheering in the stands with the Dallas Cowboys Collection by Lucasey. Shop the collection today at the Lucasey store at the starn Frisco or online at lucasey dot Com. Lucasey the official boot of the Dallas Cowboys and Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders.
Speaker 7: How do you tell the world about all the great gifts in the Yetti Store letter Rip Troy All right.
Speaker 14: Folks, Dot's get started with the Eddy French Press and Joe Calvin Thistay's Hot Frivers and French Press thirty four, as for U sixty four with the Cruise Yetty French Press. What mix waterproof bags, bags and waterproofs and where's wall waterproof? Devil's Waterprove bag bags for as most of the watersh to get a waterprove, Yetti bag gonta smell something, cooking pot, new cast iron skillets made to be passed down like Mama's recipes. Take a steak, cornback, commagce pot pie and matatoes. Next over with three sizes of the yetty cast iron skillets.
Speaker 7: Gear gifts and product experts visit the Yetti store on McKinney Street and at South Lake Town Square.
Speaker 2: Today back to the.
Speaker 10: Break lg O led evoy is the best TV in the game, but don't take our word for it. Digital Trends said that l LGLG four has the best picture quality they've ever seen. See for yourself at LG dot com. Slashed Evo Welcome Back.
Speaker 7: It is the second segment of the Breakway Live from s WBC Mortgage Studios.
Speaker 2: At the star Let's talk position analysis.
Speaker 7: Also the segment brought to you by blockchain dot Com. All right, so let's talk running back position. This year, the Cowboys acquired Javonte Williams and Miles Sanders, allow ric o'dowdell to leave in pre agency. My question for you guys is, as you look at those two guys, particularly, which do you think is better if the Cowboys had to start the season right now and they had what they had in order to start the season, who do you think is the starting running back? And then talk to me about roles and what kind of roles each one could play.
Speaker 8: Talking about Williams and Sanders.
Speaker 7: Williams because I assume those are who you would have as at the top of the deaf it's Davis.
Speaker 8: I'm Davis here.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna guess, Joe, I know who it is.
Speaker 4: I about to say, it's going to be that Malik Davis is about to get a start in week one.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's start a Hunter Lipkey runing in early. Would I would start him with Javonte Williams on third. Yeah, But looking at it from a realistic standpoint in a modern day offense, Javonte Williams he probably exactly exactly or Peyton hillis he makes the most sense Javonte Williams as as the starter with this group right now. But uh, it's it's no doubt that this is going to be these guys are going to be competing with a rookie. But in the spirit of the conversation right now, Javonte Williams just based on what he did in Denver and the role that he played there. Uh, and you also pair that with what Miles Sanders did or did not do in Carolina. I mean you saw the they basically they brought in Jonathan Brooks to play over him. And obviously Brooks hasn't been healthy. But when you start seeing high premium draft picks around veterans, that's that doesn't speak a lot of confidence into those veterans. So Javonte Williams I think would be the starter today and you would have Miles Sanders kind of rotate in as Javonte needed to come off the field. I'd be giving him the majority of the carries. If this was the group that I needed right now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is where I have a little problem right now. I feel like with the coaching staff at the position, with your coordinator, you got a guy that knows how to run the football. You got a line coach that is very familiar with the physical style of running the football from Kansas State as well. So that's an upgrade right there for you to kind of get things going the right way. But you let Rico daddle walk, and to me that that's not good because where I would have and Nick maybe can help me here on this one. You have Rico daddele here, you can have some flexibility to picking a fifth round running back and pair him with rico' daddle and you would be fine. Now you forced yourself, I believe, to have to take a running back within the first three picks, because you really don't.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 4: The thing with Williams is he catches the ball very well, and he blocks very well, and he's coming. You know, Sean Payton knows how to use running backs and he just didn't have you know, but Sewan's going to look for running back. Watch at twenty at Denver, they're going to get a running back because Sean knows he needs one. But they moved on. And and you know, nothing against Smiles Sanders either, but I think his time is done too. If you had Rico daddle and this is I'm sorry, I'm just gonna bring it up. If you had rico' daddle, you could make you could pick one of a running back in the fifth round and pair it with him and you'd be just fine.
Speaker 2: So you'd think you'd think ric o'daddle is better at this point.
Speaker 4: Yes, Williams, Yes, I do it. Yeah, I do and if you had to start it, and we've seen it with their own eyes, you know, once they once they started handing him the ball and they made the change at right guard, they were healthier there at right guard. Steele started playing better, BB was getting better at second level blocks. The right guard situation was that they did some combination stuff, got some things going there. But rico' daddell here, he if if he was here, you could wait to the fifth round and grab a running back. But now I think you have to have to grab one of these running backs in the first three rounds. I don't think you can wait to the fifth round and say, Okay, let's get a fifth round back and let's pair him with Williams and Sanderson, see how it goes.
Speaker 7: Let me ask you this because I was I was actually having this conversation with Isaiah stand back yesterday and we were talking about the running back position. I think we all, everybody at this table, and a lot of people I have talked to in the media all agree that the Cowboys got made themselves better by the coaches a Brant. I think you look at the Arizona Cardinals and what they've been able to do the last couple of years in the running game, and I look at that and I'm like, they didn't have an all pro caliber running back. In my opinion, James Connor was hurt for part of the tign But James Connor to me as a solid running back, I don't put him as one of the best running backs in the league. They were able to create and manufacture a top one of the top one of the better running games in the NFL with solid running backs, solid offensive line. But the scheme had a lot to do with It reminds me a lot of and you'll appreciate this Brian, those old school Brian Broncos with Mike Shanahan where they ran in Reuben Drones whoever they ran in every year, that guy was gonna put up a bunch of yards on the ground because the scheme was just so good and they had they had the ability to be able to put the offensive line in the right positions to make the blocks, and the all they need is a back that could hit the hole where it needed to hit it and go downhill. And so my question is, from that standpoint, do you really need to get a running back early in order to get some or do you need to just get someone that has the right traits or that runs the ball the right way for this scheme and they can be just as effective here as you know a top running back would be in another system.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and I think that's a fascinating question when you look at this draft class, right because you you could theoretically wait until day three and.
Speaker 8: You'd be taking some chances. Don't get me wrong.
Speaker 9: Yeah, but you could find a guy with the right trades to pair with Javonte Williams that I think could work for this offense. You just see a guy that can get you yards on early downs. That's it's really as simple as that. You would love to have a guy that has a little bit more and could be very and can be that guy whenever you move on from Javonte Williams. But if you're talking about twenty twenty five specifically the immediate urgent need, you just need a guy that can get you yards on early downs that when the game starts, when that first drive comes out, you can rely on him to get five six yards and start drives with some momentum. I just feel like they haven't had that at times. And Rico Daudle Yes, he played well down the stretch last year, but it felt like every time he was given the ball to start a drive when everyone in the building knows that they're handing it off, he couldn't get those four or five yards. I need a guy when everybody in the stadium knows, hey, they're gonna haven the ball off right here, that he can go get four or five. And I think you can get that guy in the third round. I think you can get that guy in the fifth. You'd be taking some chances, like I said, but I don't think it's necessarily a need to go get the number one back in the class if he's not there for.
Speaker 4: You, Nick, I'm gonna ask you this question. I don't mean to turn it into a draft show, but the thing about it is, do you have fourth round running backs that you think are going to fall to the fifth?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 9: I look at a Kyle mcnung gai out of Rutgers. That's a guy who could play on early downs, zero fumbles and six hundred sixty nine carries too.
Speaker 8: Look that Ollie Gordon.
Speaker 9: I wonder how many people factor in his off the field things and if he slips to the fifth talked about my guy Land Larson at UC Davis. I think he could probably be there in the fifth.
Speaker 7: Those are st quick on Oli Gordon. Yeah, you said all the field stuff. Is it more mental stuff or is it like trouble you don't have to get.
Speaker 9: To DJ Yeah, yeah, yeah. He had a DUI in twenty four. That was that was a public knowledge. The leg he had a legac thank you. He had a leg injury mid season last year. And granted he was a Doke Walker Award winner in twenty twenty three for the nation's top running back in college.
Speaker 8: I mean there was a point when.
Speaker 7: He had got there that guy was gonna be the next coming from standpoint of guys coming into the NFL.
Speaker 9: If he came into the draft class last year, he would have been the number one back. Take and no questions asked. But this guy this year, this past year, really bad offensive line in Oklahoma State. He couldn't really maneuver around it, didn't show a lot of contact balance even though he's six foot two two twenty five. So I wonder how many how much teams will value this twenty four season compared to the twenty three year. But you could get a guy if he channels what he had in twenty three. Shoot, you're gonna have a pretty good product on your hands. So Jarquois Hunter is another guy that I have a fourth round grade on that maybe could slip to the fifth.
Speaker 8: It's just it just based on so you're really you.
Speaker 4: Are gambling a little bit there though right on undred percent.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean you know it goes yeah, but if you wait till anything, That's.
Speaker 4: What I'm saying. I'm just worried though, that we're gonna sit there in the fourth round and we're do in the draft show and we're covering it, and then we'll talk about all of a sudden in day three, those backs just start, and I think there's gonna be a run on backs and potentially in the third round as well. So we can see the run and then we'll maybe see another run. And I wonder if if there's some guys, if you if you told me with certainty and you do a great job with the draft, Nick, if you told me, hey, there's gonna be some fourth round guys that are gonna be there in the fifth, then I then I then I'll I'll go with you. But I'm trying to I've kind of broke this thing down just for simplicity, is the very good and the good. You know what I'm saying, if you give me a chance to draft DF very good, I'm going to draft very good because I know good is good is good, but very good might be the difference. You know, some of these lines you talk about, you know, with the with the Cardinals, their quarterback was a part of some of the stuff, I mean, the threat of him running, and you don't have that here. So people will be able to say, Okay, can the offensive line in its current configuration be good enough to be like with Arizona?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Possibly? Can the tiight ends block? Sure? You know that's all possibly to the coaching, because we know the coaching and stuff will be better. But the thing, like I said, if you gave me an opportunity to draft very good as opposed to good, I think that makes a difference. I think backs do make a difference. That's why to me, Ashton Genty when people are talking about why would you take Ashton Genty? Because Ashton Genty makes your offensive line better. His ability to make people miss make your offensive line better. That's why if you have a guy that has that kind of ability you know Harvey from Central floor. You get a guy a draft like that, and all of a sudden, he's making people miss your offensive lines better because they don't always have to hold their blocks for an extra count. They got backs that can make people miss and get yards. Give me that. That's what I wanted to back.
Speaker 2: All Right, we're gonna go ahead to break, Go ahead, I'm gonna wake.
Speaker 10: No.
Speaker 2: I would prefer here with you.
Speaker 5: Take it to break.
Speaker 7: All right, We're gonna take a break and come back to the break. We're gonna go to Amber Garcia and she's gonna have this great point for us, and with our conversation, got time about the running back position. We've back Dallas Cowboys dot com radio.
Speaker 6: If you can't be at the stadium, there's no better way to watch your Cowboys than on an lg.
Speaker 2: O lead Evo TV.
Speaker 6: That's because everything you see is more lifelike, every play.
Speaker 2: Every hit.
Speaker 6: I mean, you might just will be on the sidelines, that's how clear it is. It's all thanks to LG's legendary technology, perfect black over eight point three million self lit pixels.
Speaker 8: No one comes close.
Speaker 2: Lg oh lad Evo is the best TV in the game. For a reason.
Speaker 6: See for yourself at LG dot com slash oh led Evil.
Speaker 15: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors, combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, Gator utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official Agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Agonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 9: If you shout how about them Cowboys, you have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors. Together, you're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't be beat better. Yet, gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack a been a delicious ice cold Doctor pepper for everyone.
Speaker 8: The winds will be even taste here. It's a pepper thing, and.
Speaker 2: We're going to overtide Erica. How much have I spent on concessions?
Speaker 3: For questions about their money, Dallas Cowboys fans can turn to Erica, the virtual financial assistant in the Bank of America mobile banking app. Learn more at Bankofamerica dot com, slash Erica by your Side. Bank of America Official Bank of the Dallas Cowboys. Erica responses may very digital tools feature required downloading the mobile banking app and may only be available on select mobile devices. Erica is a mobile feature only available in the Englis language. Your chap may be recorded and monitored for quality assurance. Message dat rates and additional terms may apply. Bank of America and a number FDIC.
Speaker 11: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and T five G Fast reliable, Secure.
Speaker 4: Five D requires can Apple Planning device.
Speaker 2: Five G may not be available.
Speaker 4: In your areas.
Speaker 6: Add dot Com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 2: Back to the break.
Speaker 5: At and T connecting changes everything.
Speaker 7: Welcome back, final segment of the break lap, and that's wal.
Speaker 2: We had a little prophete talk this girl Amberger seeing terrible.
Speaker 10: Why I always gave blame for things because we're bringing it, we're not. But you said something. Nick looked at me, We locked eyes and I just laughed. Okay, So that was that, all right?
Speaker 2: Before we went to break Amber had a point she wanted to make.
Speaker 4: That was your point?
Speaker 2: Now, she mo, right, what did you make your point?
Speaker 5: Hey, Hey, I'm gonna take my time.
Speaker 2: All right? Yeah, we got what good a minutes?
Speaker 9: So for it?
Speaker 10: Good good, good, because I'm gonna try to verbalize what was going through my head so as you.
Speaker 5: Insight.
Speaker 8: Sorry inside joke.
Speaker 10: Okay, while you guys were talking, I just kept going back and forth on Okay, how big of a necessity is it really for the cowboys to go get a very dynamic running back, and I'm going back and forth in what I've seen in history with the Dallas Cowboys, and I'm thinking, okay.
Speaker 5: And I started running around when Zeke was drafted.
Speaker 10: At the time I did. I wasn't like crazy. I know some people were choosing Zeke and they were looking at him.
Speaker 5: At the time. I was more focused on the defense and a corner.
Speaker 10: So then Zeke comes in and then you see the fact that he had and the explosiveness and how everything.
Speaker 5: Was just crazy and magical.
Speaker 10: But you have to take into account how the offensive line looked at the time, how great that line was. And then I started going back, Okay, how did those other guys that weren't like Zeke caliber look like with such a good offensive line? And I went back to think about Alfred Morris, you had Rod Smith, and I remember, I don't have a clear memory, but I remember at the time they were very efficient, not to the Zeke level, but they were still productive and taking care of business. Even when Darren McFadden he went in, when Romo went in for that last series of his career here with the Cowboys and in the NFL, and he was very effective. They went down, they drove that thing down so easy, got into the end zone. So again that leads me back to thinking, Okay, necessity and priority number one solidifying the offensive line, making sure we all know that's where it all starts, and focus and number one problem here is making sure you have that you won't give the protection to Dak, but also it just makes the running backs job easier. Now, with that being said, I feel like you solidify that and you can still be productive with the guys. Back to your original question, Derek, you can still I feel like, be productive with the guys you currently have. But back to Brian's point, how much of that next level are you willing to take it? And how much are you willing to invest that? And we saw even last year when you don't have a running game, and the running game took a while to get going with.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, well they took a while to get him going.
Speaker 10: Yes, with the scheme and everything, but taken into account everything that you guys said, the new coaching staff and everything that they're trying to change up here, and really they've been very vocal about putting an effort and being intentional with the running game. So I think that's going to be a main focus point for this offense and a big priority there. So I think taking all of that into account, it just I just keep going back and forth of Okay, what's the right at.
Speaker 4: What point plan of attack?
Speaker 10: Yeah, but for the draft specifically, at what point do you really want to invest into.
Speaker 5: A running back?
Speaker 10: And I mean I hate hearing what Nick says because then I feel like, Okay, you're making me think we can wait till day three.
Speaker 5: But then that does make me nervous.
Speaker 8: It makes everyone nervous.
Speaker 10: But it's good to know that there is depth options, so many options out there. But I think again, priority number one offensive line.
Speaker 7: Yeah, the way I look at that, and I agree with a lot of what you say there, Abro. I will say this though, if let's say, for example, in the first round, Dallas gets wide receiver.
Speaker 2: Let's say they get Teed or Golden, either one.
Speaker 7: Let's say they pick up in the second or third round, they pick up an offensive lineman in a cornerback. All right, if they come away from days one and two with those things, I feel a lot better about the idea of getting even though you're taking a gamble getting a running back.
Speaker 2: Let's say in the fifth round.
Speaker 7: The reason why is because I think at that point you will have an offense that has hopefully, hopefully or at least what you hope, what you're thinking, your offensive line will be somewhat solidified. You feel good about where you're going with your offensive line. You have the new offensive coaches who are going to focus on that offensive of that run game. You have now a second wide receiver, which they've been really needing here for quite a while, and you've sewn up what you what you needed to take care of a cornerback. Those, in my opinion, are your three biggest areas of need. And I think running back you can manage those other positions. I don't know that you can manage those positions if you don't come away from the draft with people that can come in and immediately contribute. I think running back you it won't be optimal. I get your point, Bright, it won't be optimal, But I think you can manage with those other things you've done. I think you can manage to have your running back be take a little more chance on your running back than you can on those other positions.
Speaker 2: What do you guys think?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think that's fair.
Speaker 9: It's if I could sounds like you want to pick offensive line at twelve.
Speaker 8: Mbar im Okay, all right.
Speaker 2: That's all about value though. My question for you guys, y'all study the players.
Speaker 7: Is there somebody projected to be there at twelve that's worth that pick and is better, by the way, better than the receivers that everybody's talking about, because quite frankly, I look at that and I say, if I can get that caliber receiver at twelve, unless you're gonna tell me this offensive lineman to somebody that immediately walks in, he is a Zach Zach Martin.
Speaker 2: He's walking in.
Speaker 7: He's going to be your starter at guard or tackle for the next I don't know, eight to ten years.
Speaker 2: They're great. Let's let's let's have that conversation.
Speaker 10: Has been great when drafting offensive lineman in that first round. So I know that they know how to evaluate evaluate these players when it comes to the line on offense.
Speaker 4: And I think that.
Speaker 10: Again, I know Nick has said before that he thinks is gonna get back into being more mobile.
Speaker 8: Potentially, that's just his intention. That's just his intention.
Speaker 5: Okay, ye, his.
Speaker 10: Intention is to be back more to be mobile. Again, I don't know how much I believe in that until I see it. So I think there is even not just the running game, but also Dak's game in general. I think there is just a bigger necessity in making sure you have someone that's very, very solid. Now, I don't do the draft show like you guys do, so you know better where that level of talent fits best.
Speaker 5: Depending on the rounds, I.
Speaker 9: Only have Teed McMillan is the only receiver that I have above the first line or first round offensive lineman, and those first round offensive linemen armand Membu out of Missouri, will camp Out Lsu Kevin Banks out of Texas. So those three guys, I.
Speaker 2: Mean you would you stretch and do either one of them pick out of one of them? At twelve?
Speaker 9: It worth different Millin is there no no, But based on my if I'm sticking to my board, I would be going with an offensive lineman because Membo I think he would have some right guard flexibility.
Speaker 8: Will Campbell.
Speaker 9: It would be Will Campbell and Ketwen Banks. They played on the left side, but you would have to kind of maneuver them and make them a little bit more comfortable on the right side at guard. But I don't know, it's you would definitely have to move some things around and it would be a little difficult. You just drafted a left tackle in the first round last year, so are you giving up on that if you draft a first round offensive lineman and it's just there'd be a lot of questions you'd have to ask about it. But I mean they have put in resources with thirty visits and formal meetings of the combine in evaluating these first round offensive linemen armand Membu is one of those guys, so you have to factor that in as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's if it's I have Josh Simmons from Ohio State is one of my best offensive linemen and and he is the only guy that I have above McMillan on my stack. So to me, that's where Campbell's right there for me. Membu's right there for me as well. I have Banks a little bit later, you know, twenty one on my stack. So I'm kind of I would be committed to the first three names of Simmons, Campbell or Mimbo, you know, over McMillan. I I'll tell you what. The thing with Golden, The thing with Golden at wide receiver just makes so much sense for me right now. It really really does. But you know, but if if you told me that, hey, one of those, don't I said this, I don't think you can wipe me out at twelve, right, Well don't. And somebody tried to wipe me out the other day by taking the backs and taking the wide receivers out of it in a mock draft. And then I just picked Memboo and I just and I moved on, and I'm like, you know, you can't. You cannot wipe this team out at twelve. I don't believe so to me. And to Amber's point, that to me would be the one he said if you said a kind of a surprise position to take, I think offensive line tight end would be the most surprising to me in the first but then offensive tackle would probably be the next most surprising group to me. Oor safety, Uh, I think safety is you know, I don't know if they would take somebody at twelve. That's That's what I'm saying. Yea, yeah, at twelve. I but tight end, Yeah, you could throw safety in there. But I kind of feel like, though to me, the fact that they visited one, I think they visited us more of a second round one of the names that we had. But you can't wipe this team out with the draft because or with an order of guys going off the board ahead of them, they they'll have somebody that they can fall back on, and like I say, a guy like Membo, I'd have absolutely no problem with that one.
Speaker 7: All right, that's a wrap for us. We will be back next week. Actually next next Wednesday will be on and on Thursday the draft begins. So next week we'll talk a little bit more about draft, talk about who you guys really want to see or expect the Cowboys to select with that number one overall pick.
Speaker 4: Brian, Can I give you a homework assignment for next week? Sure? Question. I want to ask you guys, could the receiver you draft potentially at twelve be better than ce d Lamb? You're trying to get messy, No, I'm not, just could the receiver you drafted well eventually be better than all Right, we'll think about we'll.
Speaker 2: Talk about that. We'll talk about that when we come back.
Speaker 7: We'll be back next week on Wednesday, same time till then for Nick Harris, Brian brod Us to Namagarci. I'm Derek Eagleton. This has been The Break live on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.