Speaker 1: To all remove Dland Deep Speedways peas.
Speaker 2: From the Baptist Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex.
Speaker 1: This is Drivetime with Travis Wingfield.
Speaker 2: He's got my Havan's in the playoffs. What is up Dolphins and welcome to the Drive Time Podcast. I am your host, Travis wing Phild on today's show, bit.
Speaker 1: Win win, win win, Yeah, everything goes win win, win.
Speaker 2: Win, And what a fitting time to play that jam after a fifteen to ten Dolphins win over the New England Patriots. It might not have been pretty the entire day, but I'll tell you what, it's a W in the win column, and right now it's all I care about. We'll do the stats, we'll do the game script and the takeaways, and we'll also hear from head coach Mike McDaniel from the Baptist Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex.
Speaker 1: This is the Draft Time Podcast.
Speaker 2: I'd like to begin with this before I jump into the stats as we always do, and maybe this belongs in the takeaways whatever, but I want to do it right now because you've heard me on the show on these recap postgame shows sounding let's be honest about it. The most dejected I've been in my tenure covering this team with the Miami Dolphins. Now you can go back before that with lockdown days and even with the perfect vill days and say, Travis, you've been down bad, worse than this before.
Speaker 1: You're probably right.
Speaker 2: But I've also been searching for answers that I'm not sure I was able to conjure up with how to message this for a Dolphins fan because we had enjoyed a certain level of success for half a decade. Now that wasn't the case prior to that, and it's tough to accept kind of going back in the other direction, which you saw the last few weeks. But I can tell you this man, winning sure can cure a lot of woes and it can open your eyes to what might be possible. Was this some sort of statement victory, No, of course not. The Patriots have struggled immensely this year. There's plenty of work to do. But can a win like this change the complexion of your season? To the Jets and Bills and the Pats for that matter, lose each of the last two weeks, are we now just a game behind Buffalo and tied with the Jets at two and three. All of these things are true, and both of those teams have been very healthy. We've dealt with about as much adversity as one team can stomach in an entire season, and we've done it inside of let's call it four weeks, because this week was actually pretty clean. Well I guess not because Jelen Phillips also went down last week as well. So who the hell knows what Week eighteen looks like in January? Who he knows what even week six looks like for that matter. But here's what I do know. And as someone who went and the record starts to get lopsided, I become a little bit more interested in college football and seeing what's going on with the prospects. I know this that the football season is so long, and you can go back over every single Dolphins season back to when I first started doing podcasts in twenty sixteen. One of the first podcasts I did was me and Kevin Dern, my former co host on the Finalysis podcast, was we would go down the list after the Dolphins are one and four and just find out who we thought were keepers for the following season and look at where that year ended up. Not only did you make the playoffs, the quarterback towards ACL and missed the next year as well. So like so much can change in a small snapshot of time in this league, no one expected us to be where we are today, right. We all thought three and two, maybe four and one at this time of year. Worst case would be probably be two and three. Are the hopes of a record breaking offense gone?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Sure? But also who the hell cares at this point?
Speaker 2: Now you get to go to the bye week, and for your boy, that's a trip to Disney World with a four year old little angel who has asked me every single day for the last month, Daddy, can we go to the Princess Castle today?
Speaker 1: Not yet, sweetheart, twenty four more sleeps.
Speaker 2: But for the football, it means we get to go into a game against the Colts in two weeks, hopefully with even more progression in the offense for Tyler Huntley, maybe a chance to reposition your I guess, for lack of a better word, your position as an offense. I'm not saying you wholesale change it, but they kind of did wholesale change at least some elements of it today. Right, And when you're game planning in a week. That's all you have time to do. You don't have time to you know, self evaluate and reformulate everything you've done to that point in the season. You now have a week to prepare for the Colts and to self scout and see what kind of adjustments you can make in the you know, post to a tongue by Lowe injury type of offense you want to run and hopefully for one more week right and realistically implement them since there is no opponent this Sunday, you're off the Sunday, and sometimes early bye weeks you're like that, I don't love it, but this year kind of need it. And real quick, I had my own thoughts written out on this next part here, but let's go to the pro here real quick and just hear from coach McDaniel on what the bye week does look like for him, for Tyler Huntley and for his team, but most importantly the growth of the quarterback who's still just been here for three weeks.
Speaker 1: It's huge.
Speaker 3: You know, there's the you're playing ketchup the whole time that you're playing football, and you're knowing your responsibilities, you're knowing what the past concepts are and now you have a chance to study, you know, really the strengths and weaknesses of certain things. For him to play convicted. I think it's gonna be huge for him just to just to have things settle down, because you don't really of time for much when you're just jumping in an NFL workweek. You have to orchestraight, you know, a lot of moving parts. And I thought he did a good job handling all that. He's done a phenomenal job really since it's been here. But it was a step forward today for sure.
Speaker 2: So as someone that does this job and tries to uphold a certain level of journalistic integrity despite living and dying with this football team that every single person listening to this podcast does the exact same thing. That's why you're here, right and everything this team does in the win column. As the fan that I am like, hey, sue me, but I'm excited to go into Indie with the thought the concept of this being an approach that works with the current makeup of the roster and thinking ahead that if that is the case and it produces a win and you get to three and three and you get to five hundred and you weather the storm well then all of a sudden, quarterback one is eligible to return from the ir list for the Cardinals, and after that, who knows, but that that alone is enough to at least, at the very least get me back to the point to where Seth and Og and the post game were show. Today we're saying we got Travis Beck. He's back in the saddle. So for now, yeah, I definitely am. So that's my die tribe. Let's go play by play and break this game down, because as much as it was kind of a slog, it was pretty fun to watch as well. Dolphins kicked off the game with a fifty four yard field goal, a seven play thirty eight yard drive, and it began the way the last two games have begun, with a dig a rip to Tyreek Hill after some play action success on first down that sucked up the two linebackers and created that window in behind that second level of the defense. And I thought we saw that today like at a level that was maybe near or closer to to a tongue of Iloa and this offense than what you saw, for instance, back in the Week three game where that element just did not exist. I'm talking about that eighteen to twenty one yard curl like deep hook range, and we saw several passes in this game go in that zone. We also saw several passes on the catch rock throw concept to John Husmith for first downs. Catch the snap, fire the ball to your tight end off the line scrimmage.
Speaker 1: Hopefully he can put his.
Speaker 2: Head down and go bury forward for two or three more yards and move the chains. It looked like a professional offense at times in this game. Now, there are still plenty of things you have to correct. In fact, coach McDaniel after the game said there were several.
Speaker 1: Issues they need to get corrected. But one of those things was early drive.
Speaker 2: And I expect this with a quarterback that's so new, And this is something that I wanted to explain to fans because I think it requires an element of football knowledge to be able to get to this point. And I think I can't say for certain because I'm not in the huddle, I'm not in those meeting rooms, but I think what we saw on that first sack on the opening drive, when Liam kind of got beat across his face and that forced him to open that b gap up because he chased the defensive tackle inside and then Austin was put in a situation where he had two rushers on either shoulder and he had to make a choice. And last week he made the choice to squeeze inside and let the outside rusher go, which is what you should do because the immediate threat is going to get to the quarterback quicker. And this week he went to the outside lane and he probably assumed he had more help inside than he did, but it created a free run in the B gap, and you can't play successful offense from that position on the field.
Speaker 1: So that was one gaff that it's going to happen.
Speaker 2: I think your protection issues happen with quarterbacks that have been in the league for fifteen years. It's going to happen to a quarterback who's been here for fifteen days, you know, give or take. I thought the third and sevent team play on that drive goes back to something we talked about earlier, just two seconds ago with the catch rock throw like catch the football. You see the tight ends not covered up in the slot. He's gonna have easy access into the second level and then this guy can break tackles. Throw it to him, and he got you back into range for a field goal and it led to a fifty four yard field goal because of that catch and run. So that was good to see Dolphins take their first lead of a game where the game was not over of the entire year right there. And they come back out on defense a three play negative five yard drive for the Patriots where they go back to back sacks. There was a green dog blitz from Jordan Brooks with a running back staying in protection. His job is to cover that back and then if he stays in protection, go blitz because there's no one to cover in the field. Right and then Benito Jones and Emmanuel Ogbaugh and Zach Seeler all deent to the line, pushed him back and they converge for the sack on Brissett, and then a third down play Sealer wins again. He slides right before the snap, a quick rotation pre snap from the one technique on the outside shoulder of the nose tackle or of the center, rather over to the inside shoulder of the guard, which is your two eye technique, and he dips and rips and makes quick work of that new Patriot center filling in for David Andrews, and it becomes a sack. Dolphins get off the field and push the Patriots back. But then Miami throws a pick on the ensuing drive after they had been gifted a rather a nice situation because first of all, the way the Dolphins ran the football saying we'll get to this it was more conviction. And this is something that OJ harps on all the time with when we're watching the games, is like he wants to see guys get more north, north and south. And I know that's how it's taught in this system, particularly to kind of split defenders and get upfield. And there's been a lot of kind of you know, running parallel to the line of scrimmage in this offense. And what I thought you saw it to say with Raheem and Jalen Wright was if it's not blocked up for the big game, they found a way to get extra yards. And the first play of this drive, which is a five to play fourteen yard drive, was Jaalen Wright getting stacked up at the point of attack.
Speaker 1: And then here comes Austin Jackson to kind.
Speaker 2: Of play a bully ball that's his game, to push the pile for a four yard run. We get a screen blown up, and then third and seven Tyreek runs a speed out and he catches this ball off the turf, which I thought was a bad throw from Tyler. It was on time, which is great because that's my number one thing. I'm looking forth to the quarterback that's so brand new in the offense. But the target was low. Reek does dig it out. It creates a fourth and one situation, and the Dolphins punted, which I was so glad to see because normally I might go for it fourth and one, you should convert all of those, but in a game that was going to take on the shape of this game, great decision to punt the football, and you get reward for it because they have twelve guys in the field, But then we get the ball back. And I thought Huntley's mistake in this game, the one big mistake he made, was he double clutched throwing a slant across face on Christian Gonzalez, and that guy is never going to let you have that pass because he's so damn good. And he jumped it on the first clutch and it created a situation where he could run under the route and catch it and make the pick. And then that's where you're thinking, I don't know how's this game going to go? Because the Patriots get a five play forty no sorry, forty seven yard drive that results in a Ramondre Stevenson touchdown run. I noted in this thing that we had Marcus May playing really all over the field and I thought was probably one of the best Dolphins safety performances of the season so far this year, where he kind of played that Rashad Jones weak side seed gap would close it down and flatten back to the line of scrimmage and make a stop and created a third down situation. But then this was gonna be a takeaway if a game continued this way. We just started missing tackles like Carico who had a chance out in space to make a tackle on a little swing route and he didn't make that tackle, which normally he does, and he did later in the game, but he missed this one and it turns into a first down. Then they seal the edge on that Stevenson run Marcus May miss as a tackle, Javon Holland overruns it big time, and it just was kind of a sloppy looking player for the Dolphins defense who got hemmed in you had a bad fit from the linebacker two miss tackles in the defensive backfield, and that is the ingredients for a thirty three yard touchdown run. But it would be the only touchdown the Patriot to score on the entire day. To take a seven to three lead, Dolphins come back and miss a forty one yard field goal, which we can't miss field goals from that range. Right, there's guys making sixty sixty five yards here in this league, and the fifty yard field goals have become like pretty routine for guys. At this point, we've had two now forty yard or forty one and forty two yard field goals missed. This one came after a nine play forty seven yard drive where a chan got on the end around for an explosive play where Aaron Brewer peels back and bubbles the line of scrimmage and then goes and hooks the slot cornerback and pins him with a really impressive block on a run that goes for twelve yards and gets knocked out of the game right there, and pursuing with a concussion protocol, he does not return, so hopefully he'll be okay. There is a key that I thought showed up in this drive. It was the rush land integrity where Huntley had a drop back where the Patriots rush fanned out and there was nobody in the B gap, and then the edge rusher took off upfield and Austin just obliged him and ran him around the entire formation, and Huntley was able to attack the line of scrimmage and throw a ball downfield into this massive vacancy for a wide open.
Speaker 1: Wattle for twenty yards.
Speaker 2: We get more great run blocking, Rob Jones kicks out, by the way, best game Rob Jones had all year. I can say that very confidently without watching the film yet alec Ingold, my god, what a game he had. Where heem Moster goes for twelve yards, our second twelve yard run of the drive after not having explosive runs for most of the season. Then we drop a pass though it would have been good for a first down. Then we get sacked on a scramble and that leads to the missfield goals. So that's what I'm talking about her this offense, and kind of where I took from this game was there was a lot of progress and of signs in this game that this Dolphins offense can maybe find out what it looks like without two a tongue.
Speaker 1: I low up.
Speaker 2: But you can't drop that second and eight throw right on the outside of the ten yard line, and you can't take a sack on third down there to create a longer field goal, although maybe you can, because forty one yards right should be makeable. We didn't make it this time around. Ball goes back to the Patriots three play negative one yard punt drive. Sealer draws one of his two holds. So Seiler had a sack, three quarterback hits and drew two holds. This guy is one of the best players in the National Football League. The Patriots do get back on schedule for a third and six play, but we get a Chop Robinson looping twist inside to put a hit on Brissett. And you have Jalen Ramsey, who was awesome in this game, playing the point man on trips. So he's gonna take the first release to the perimeter, and he takes that route and he goes right in the hip pocket and creates this minuskill window that Brissett has to hit while he's being hit by Chop. Can't do it. Punt the ball back to the Dolphins. Miami gets it back. We'll go ahead and continue of the podcast after this, because we're.
Speaker 1: Going long already. I'm excited talk about a win today.
Speaker 2: We'll come back into the rest of the game script and the five takeaways on the Draft Time podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by Auto Nation. I left off the previous part of the podcast. I probably should start logging when these drives occur, because I'm not sure what part of the game I'm in here. I think on early second quarter when that Dolphins punt was blocked, it was another good looking drive that was seemingly gonna shape up well for the Dolphins with a couple of good runs. But then we get a four play sequence where Aaron Brewer gets hit for a hold. You have an illegal shift that gets declined, an illegal blindside block on Leak Washington that maybe I don't understand the rule well enough. I thought it was pretty cool football, but he was going back towards his own line of scrimmage, so I get the letter of the law there.
Speaker 1: He went against that.
Speaker 2: There and then a block punt where Duke Riley gets ran right by in the formation. And you know last week had the illegal touching player, not illegal touching, but he thought that. The coach Crossman explained when he thought the Titans long snapper swattered the ball and he went to advance it because of the consequence free nature of that when the kicking team touches the ball, but he didn't and it almost costs us a possession there. And the week before that there was a thirty seven yard net yard penalty that was on duke and special teams. So he's had a rough run here and on this one it causes a block punt that put the Patriots back in position to score points.
Speaker 1: So just bad football on the entire drive.
Speaker 2: Of course, the Patriots would miss a thirty three yard field goal on a five play seven yard drive where the Dolphins, again Zach Seeler causes another holding call. Benito has a free run on the A gap and can't quite get Brissette to the ground, but it does cause an eight yard completion, and then cater Kohu bounces back after the mistackle and makes a tackle for loss on a loss of three to create a third and fifteen play, and they just go give up with the draw call and then they missed the field goals that was great to see. Miami gets it back and continues to pick up more yards on the offense with a John wu Smith catch and run on a glance, a play action rip to waddle off of the face fake toss action which I thought was again more in corporation of what's working, and then wrinkling off of that off the overplay with the play action game. So I thought for coach McDaniel, his best game was a designer and play caller in this one. And they're also getting pushed off the line of scrimmage, moving.
Speaker 1: Guys off the football.
Speaker 2: You get Jillen right for a five yard run after the Wallle completion, and then Huntley extends and finds John news Smith wide open on that corner route. It looked like Huntley thought he was going to keep running up the sideline and John who's settled into the route where he was. It would have been at least twenty yards if not more, but they miss and then we get I think the best throw from Tyler Huntley is a Miami dolphin when they send a pressure package and Raheem runs an angle route, a Texas route, and that's where he starts in the backfield and runs towards the perimeter and then angles back inside. It's called an arrow route. There's different different for a beach for different offenses. And he runs across the face of the linebacker and Huntley under this pressure kind of falls off the throw and buys extra time. Every tenth of a second matters when you're hot against the blitz like that. And he throws a ball with anticipation right on the upfield shoulder for a completion and we get that first down and then we end up not converting after that, so we end up stapping the ball of the quarterback's head and coach said that Aaron Brewer had heard a cadence that he thought was Tyler, it was not, and he snaps the ball over his head. We blow that drive as well, So it's like Miami could have blown this game out. And I think that's the encouraging part is you got the win with the mistakes, because now hopefully with the bye week, some more familiarity for the quarterback in the offense, maybe guys kind of set it out a little bit and realize where we are and kind of go forward from here. Maybe you can start to patch together some of those issues and the way the defense is playing, maybe you can go on a run and win some football games. It's kind of how I view this whole thing. The Patriots get the ball back and they go three and out right away. Again, defense is playing awesome. Right There was perfect coverage by cater Coh who I thought had his best game of the year, where he pins the man to the sideline and we get good coverage and the rush shuts that play down for an incompletion.
Speaker 1: And then Barrios caught that.
Speaker 2: Wobbly line drive kick on the sideline and returns it for positive yards for a twelve yard run back on a ball that probably goes out of balance, but it could bounced backwards and gone even more further. So it's at least a twelve yard play there from Barrios. Great work there, but then Miami turns it over on down six play two yard. John new Smith another big play with a raheem block off the edge. He catches that out route and I don't know what the heck gulyant Tovao was doing there because he jumped inside like a pick and roll on basketball and just let John new Smith go up the sideline. It puts us down the twenty eight yard line, and John who's catching passes, he's chip releasing, he's running after the catch, looks like the guy that we were all fired up to sign back.
Speaker 1: In the off season.
Speaker 2: And then Huntley has a scramble that goes in complete in the end zone. Then a forty six yard field goal doesn't count because we false start, and then we roll the snap back to Jake Bailey on a fifty one yard kick and he gets tackled right there.
Speaker 1: So it's just this constant like two.
Speaker 2: Three Today was like four or five plays a positive and then one big mistake that cost you. So that's better than what it has been where it was like one play than two negative in the past couple of games. And that's why I'm encouraged about what we're going from this point into the bye week. Patriots then go three and out Dolphins kind of end of half it there, we go to halftime seven to three game, Patriots get a field goal to open up the second half of ten play fifty yard drive and it was on the ground too. Like sometimes coming out of the locker room break can be tough on either side of the ball. Sometimes it just as who makes the better adjustments or maybe who's more ready to play in those moments. I don't really know how to track that, but Stevenson had a twenty yard run, and then they had a third and five conversion right on the edge of field goal range with a pass from Brissett to Pop Duck because I think it was. And that was after you know, Ramsey had drawn a holding call. Who played really good by the way he was playing off the edge and kind of reset the blocker on the perimeter and they held him. And then he ran by Brissette on the next play and like reached out and kind of like slapped him across the face and it got flagged for fifteen yards and that creates a Patriots field goal on that drive to go ten three up, and you're thinking, like, ah, gosh, offense has been so hard to come by. Can we recover from this? And that's a legit question when you're only scoring ten points per game, right, But Miami would still find twelve more points in the game, including three on the next drive and eight play fifty six yard field goal drive for a thirty two yard kick, and.
Speaker 1: It went right back to the well.
Speaker 2: Raheem finds the perimeter of the seven yard run and gets horse collar tackled. Then he makes something out of a run that looked like it had nothing where he gets five behind a good block from Toront Armstead, but the interior pressure made it look like he was gonna go nowhere on the play, it is really good to have Raheem Moster back in the field, and then we tossed out to john Us Smith and it's like I kind of felt like it was working there with Raheem and even Geelan Wright, and then he tossed the tight end and he goes for a loss. It's just like, go back to that and they would later on. So that was good to learn from that mistake. I thought in that moment it was a mistake. Third and six, roughing the quarterback extends to drive, so we had a twelve yard drive that had thirty extra yards of penalties, which was nice to see. But then we get back to third and nine and Huntley scrambles and throws for Tyreek probably should have been picked off in the end zone by Christian Gonzalez, it was not. They kick a field goal after Tyreek almost catches the fade route up the sideline.
Speaker 1: Just really goes out of bounds, but he does not get inbound kick the field goal. Ten to six.
Speaker 2: Game reads three and out again, just more good gap control and the Dolphins, I thought, had a great rally up and tackle on the third down checkdown. That kind of became the theme the second half. Miami gets it back another forty seven yard field goal. Nine plays fifty seven yards, Huntley scrambled for a first down and then it kind of became the Jayal and Wright show.
Speaker 1: I thought, this is where Rob Jones got going.
Speaker 2: He had a nice gap between Teestead and Rob Jones, and Rob was kicking out edges. He was ceiling on the interior, getting the second level and linebackers. Looked like a really good player in this game. Right also found a backside laying again another Rob Jones blocked for a seventeen yard run. Then we get a soft second level and open up those comeback routes I talked about earlier. A fifteen yard rip to Tyreek Hill, then a sack, and I thought Huntley bailed on a good pocket on that play and rolled right into pressure. You heard the broadcast talk about like you have a trust your offensive lineman sometimes and again that's communication and time with guys that I think will get better as time goes along. Here, then third and thirteen, twelve yard passed to Waddle on the comeback.
Speaker 1: I kind of wanted to go for it there.
Speaker 2: But I also understood the decision making because let's get points.
Speaker 1: We see how this game is going.
Speaker 2: But fourth in just one shot of the sticks, luckily the field goal goes up. In good ten to nine football game, the Patriots get it back and go seven plays thirty eight yards. They get a checkdown on or a third and four play rather after a checkdown where he blitz and cannot get in and he steps up and makes a big time conversion jump throw, and the Dolphins really had to find a way to settle in and get that ball back for good field position. They rip a big run, and really the big runs they had were on the perimeter where they would steal the edge.
Speaker 1: And we're so.
Speaker 2: Green on the edge right now because of all the injuries. And then the linebackers would try to shoot the gap and play under the route or under the run play, and that's usually the way the big runs happen. Seal the edge, try to back door it and if you can't do it. Then it gets out the gate. That happened a couple of times. Luckily they dropped a slant that creates a third and eight that would have been like a third and one. And then on third and eight, Ramsey's all over the receiver. We Blitze heated up make it incomplete. And that's how the rest of the game kind of went for the Dolphins defense. They get it back to the offense down by one and they go fifteen plays eighty yards, seven and a half minutes to the football, capped off by a two y yard alec Ingle touchdown run. And this is after a leam Meikenberg hold makes it first and twenty. But then we rip that comeback route. It's that you can run the nine from there, you can run the post, you can convert it to a curl on the deep hook, and that's exactly what Tyreek Hill does for twenty yards. A big conversion there to move the chains, and then we get more Jalen Wright Pyle pushing. He creates a third and five on a second down run that was not there, and then Huntley moves a little bit and rips this pass to john Us Smith for a first down on that little like check chip release route that he ran after Huntley had created a little bit with his legs, So that was great to see catch and run for a first down.
Speaker 1: And then Jalen Wright hits the home run right he finally.
Speaker 2: Finds a crease, that quick jump cut that we talked about all training camp long, but Julian Hill has a penalty and it brings it back into you know, behind the chains once again, would have been first in town at the fifteen yard line instead second and thirteen at the minus forty three. We missed the speed out to John WUIs Smith on the next play, so it's third and thirteen and then the third and thirteen play is a quick hitter, but they're not lined up right and the linebacker was a slot receiver for a fresh set of downs of defensive pass interference well shore of the sticks, and I just wrote down, you have to go capitalize here. That's a massive mistake. You have to make them pay for it. And sure enough, Jalen Wright hits another big run behind an alec ingole block gets out the gate. Then Raheem hits one then back to right for a ten yard run down to the two yard line and from there, Ingold takes it in for the touchdown. So they've had this mix of writing and most hurt. That was really cranking all day long, and the common theme there was behind alec Ingold, who had the touchdown, almost got the two point conversion, but just could not get free of that edge rusher.
Speaker 1: And so it's fifteen to ten.
Speaker 2: The Patriots get the ball back and you're thinking they go win it or we get the ballack win the game. Ten plays, fifty three yards turnover on downs in the back of the end zone. The Patriots kind of got rolling there, and I just want to talk about the third and fourth down plays because those were really critical to get Miami, you know, to get him over the winners the finish line here for the win. The first and ten play incomplete that was covered up really well. Locked up the Jalen Polk touchdown. I knew that rule in the moment, and then I kind of forgot about it there as it happened, and then they quickly overturned it, so that was obviously an out of bounds play.
Speaker 1: Great to see that.
Speaker 2: Then the Dolphins get that third down play, they put pressure on Brissett. He has to throw one high out of the back of the end zone and kind of the same deal on fourth down after the fall start too, So really good job by Weaver recognizing if we heat up Brissett and they have to throw a ball in the field of play, it's going to be really tough for them to find, you know, success in this drive. And they went to that that well twice there and got after them.
Speaker 1: So that's it. The Dolphins win fifteen ten.
Speaker 2: Let's go ahead and take our last break rate there, come back on the other side and do the five takeaways Drive Time podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by Auto'nation. Just like that, the Dolphins are two and three and back in the mix of things.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: It's funny how quickly that can happen. My first takeaway here from the dolphins fifteen to ten victory over the Patriots is I think you found something with Jalen Wright and that run game in general was cooking. In fact, coming into the day, some folks categorize explosive runs as fifteen plus yards. Some other publications do it on ten plus yard runs. I kind of like ten plus because that's how much this for a first down, which in the running game. If you're getting ten yards on a run, it's pretty good, right. The Dolphins had no runs of plus fifteen coming into the game.
Speaker 1: They had five of those today.
Speaker 2: Five of those they had eight total plays if you go, ten plus yards and three of those fifteen plus yard runs were on the game winning drive. So they kind of when they had to have it, they found their identity. I love that coach McDaniel after the game. So the running back room was ready to put the team on their back, and that's exactly what they did. One hundred and ninety three rushing yards in this one. In fact, we haven't even done statute. Let's go ahead and rectified that real quick, live here and get you the Dolphins stats.
Speaker 1: For this game.
Speaker 2: So Miami out gains the Patriots. I mean, it was kind of a dominant performance, three seventy two to two ninety nine. Miami had twenty four first downs. New England's fifteen third down still an issue, two for eleven, the Patriots just four for thirteen. Both teams were zero for one on a fourth down. Miami had a buck ninety three on the ground and one seventy nine through the air. Miami had seventy five plays to New England's fifty five plays. We also gave it away twice and got no takeaways. We were sacked three times and only had two sacks, and the Patriots had twelve penalties for one oh five compared to our six for fifty four.
Speaker 1: So Miami kind of dominated most of the game.
Speaker 2: Just those critical mistakes, the giveaways, the inopportune timed penalties were what really killed you in this game. But back to the pot the takeaway here, because I kind of got off track there. Man alec ingold power run game inside where he would like short motion into the backfield then play like a b gap like lead dive block. He was killing guys doing that. He was peeling out out wide on the outside zone runs, killing guys out there as well.
Speaker 1: And then you saw him get that touchdown.
Speaker 2: Man, the conditioning he had to do what he did today because he ran all over the field. I don't know the numbers yet, but I'm betting he played his most snaps of the season. He ran the touchdown in and had like no juice left to celebrate. That's how he left everything on the field for the Dolphins and tip of the cap to him a captain came up big in a big spot there. Just loved the game that he had, leading both Right and Moster. Right had thirteen for eighty six, Moster had nineteen for eighty. The team had forty one runs for a buck nine three. I think you can build upon that going forward. In fact, let's go ahead and hear from this from coach on this, because the general takeaway is the run game and something to build on here. I think that this commentary from coach about to me everything looking sharper.
Speaker 1: We talked.
Speaker 2: I talked about with Seth on the postgame show about how they were breaking the huddle with like twenty seconds and having plenty of time to get up the lane scrimmage and make all these checks and decisions. Like that's a road game, right, tough environment, and they're playing these quick hook throws to stay on schedule. I just think there's something there to build on offensively, especially with respect to the biby coming up here in week number six. Let's go ahead and hear from McDaniel on something alec Ingold said about command Tyler Huntley has in the huddle. Here's coach following up one that sentiment after the game.
Speaker 3: Oh, absolutely I can tell by the conviction with the other ten people coming out the huddle. You know, when there's when you're in a huddle and people have conviction and ownership in command of the huddle, you see people leave certainty from the huddle. And then on on top of that that, you know, every single play his technique and fundamentals, you know, I think you know I'm connected with So when after the ball is snapped, whatever coverage is presented, you know you have an idea where the ball should go, and you're watching his technique through to the defensive structure, and you know, I you I can tell. I could tell all week that he was going to operate in a high fashion, but I could feel during the game simply through his teammates and how they're approaching each play even if it was run, and it was with conviction to the line of scrimmage on almost every snap. I think we did have one pre snap motion penalty, but beyond that, it was that was much proof from the week before.
Speaker 2: That's one takeaway. Takeaway Number two is the defense continues to play really good football. Came into this one the best third down defense in the NFL. Bunch of pressures bunch of hits on the quarterback. Zach Seeler had three QB hits and two holding calls drawn and a sack. I thought Marcus may played the run and the pass really well. He seemed to have a good relationship for knowing how the rush was going to get in and where the top of the route could be for a possible completion, and then running that thing off. I thought Jordan Brooks made some have all big plays. I thought Jaylen Ramsey was fantastic, Kendall Fuller as well. I thought Cater had his best game of the season. And I just thought the defense was really really good, especially with how they mix their coverages and their pressures up front. That third and fourth down call on the penultimate drive just Chef's kiss baby, keep it going. Number three is the operation can still be better? Right, clean some things up the sequences. I talked about illegal shift, illegal blindside block, block punt after a hold, we had a first down and plus territory, then got hit with a hole that resets the entire drive. That big Jalen Right run of the fourth quarter comes back on a holding call that I didn't agree with. But man, I just think there's so much talent that shows up every single which I think kind of adds to the frustration of kind of getting stuck behind the eight ball because this team has shot themselves in the foot too frequently this year, and I think that the upshot is, man, they can clean that stuff up. There's a lot of talent here and a lot of wins to be had if they can do that. Number four special teams have been have just been a problem. Man.
Speaker 1: Let's just call it what it is.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's kind of been that way all year, but in particular today forty one yard field goal missed. You get a blocked punt that looked like it was gonna be blocked the entire way that snap went where you missed a free rusher who cames free miss You make a forty six yard field goal, but you false start to negate that and then you roll the snap back to the holder and they blow up the fifty one yard attempt. There was a tweet by Marcel Luis Jock from ESPN that had some stats since twenty twenty two on Dolphins special teams twenty fifth and yards per punt twenty sixth and yards per kick return sixteenth and yards per punt return, twenty eighth in field goal percentage, and tied for second on field goals blocked, and at the time of the tweet, the Dolphins had forty four penalties on the year, and twelve of those came from special teams. So that just has to get cleaned up. Because if we're gonna play these games with good defense and a good running game and a quarterback that man the game, you have to win on special teams. And we did not do that today, and this game could have been a much more comfortable win had you done that on special teams. My fifth takeaway is it has looked a certain way. I get trepidation, but just look at where you.
Speaker 1: Are right now.
Speaker 2: This is why it's called a long season, and that's why this probably was the opening part of the podcast. Could have been done here, but I'm just going to reiterate that point. It's a long season, it's a bye week. You uncovered a style in the run game. I think I'm excited to watch tape and give you guys more on that on the podcast tomorrow. This is about when you know a chan became a thing last year, So can jeal And Wright follow those footsteps. I think alec Ingle was more downhill. I thought Raheem Moster brought back a certain attitude to your running game.
Speaker 1: Again.
Speaker 2: I'll check the tape later on. I'll tell you guys about this on the Monday podcast. But I think this run game found itself today. I think it's been there. I think they found it and kind of kept going back to it. So kind of a repeat of the open That's what I'm going with here. Take one number five, but all the AFC East is owing to the last two weeks. Dolphins are one and one, so they have it all in front of them. If they can build on what they did late in the game offense and keep being what they've been doing on defense all year long, and get special teams going in the right direction as well.
Speaker 1: That's the podcast. That's my time. I'm gonna go have dinner with the family.
Speaker 2: You all please be sure subscribe to the podcast on Apples, Spotify, remedia podcasts.
Speaker 1: From Go Ahead and Lewis and Ready and Lewis a Review.
Speaker 2: Follow me on social at WINGFL NFL the team at Miami Dolphins. Check out the Fish Tank podcast with Seth and Juice. Check out the YouTube channel for Dolphins HQ, media availabilities and so much more, and last but not least, to Miami Dolphins dot Com. Until next time, Finns up, call On and Cameron, Daddy, He's coming home.