Speaker 1: It's podcast.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Meet Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins. I'm your host, Spencer new Arth, and today we're joined by Steve Yanni Brody, Samantha Randall, Garrett Carin, and our special guest, Rich Throwning. Rich is the Fittest Man on Earth. That's a real title. Rich, Tell folks what it means to be the fittest man on Earth.
Speaker 3: Just means you're really good at working out. And that was a long time ago. Okay, Yeah, I competed for shoot fourteen years. Last year was the first year I didn't compete, So, yeah, tell folks.
Speaker 2: You gotta win though, to be the fittest man on Earth.
Speaker 3: Uh, basically there's a hell it's changed over the last couple of years. But four or five day competition where basically they just give you a bunch of workouts and you don't know what you're showing up for. So I did that for five years, and then I competed on a team for seven years.
Speaker 1: I won four times as an individual and six times on a team.
Speaker 2: So but you said you're part of the old Guard old years, You're like, what thirty five?
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're like dog years. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: And then we actually have our own unit of measurement uh in Tennessee. It's CrossFit Mayhem years, and they're actually even harder than than actual CrossFit years. So yeah, I'm probably about sixty four. But it takes like joints and joint space.
Speaker 1: And all that type of stuff.
Speaker 2: That's where I'm at sure, And you're a hunter. Just being the fittest man on earth help you with hunting?
Speaker 3: Oh, absolutely, you know the mental side of it, the physical side of it. Yeah, it's been, uh, the ultimate competition. That's that's kind of the draw for me in the last couple of years.
Speaker 2: But you were saying before the show that some of your competitors would really struggle on a mountain.
Speaker 3: I would say some of the newest struggling oat rush, oak brush, oak brush is oak brushing blowdown is the the some of the worst mental grind stuff ever. We we uh, we've run into a lot of that the last couple of years.
Speaker 2: And how would your competitors doing meat eater trivia?
Speaker 3: You think probably better than me, you know, We'll see.
Speaker 1: I've I have read Long.
Speaker 3: Hunters, and I have read American Buffalo so and he has the board game, so he's been studying.
Speaker 2: He said, you seem like get my kids.
Speaker 3: You know, trying to get the kids to where they you know, know what's going on now.
Speaker 2: This is a ten round quiz show with questions for meat Eaters for verticals which are hunting, fishing, conservation, and cooking, and there is a prize. Meat Eater will donate five hundred dollars to the conservation organization of the winners choosing and for the stat of the week. This week, we're looking at the average score for all players in the first forty five games versus the last forty five games. This will tell us if rounds of Meat Eater Trivia have gotten harder or easier over time.
Speaker 1: Or if everybody got older maybe or smarter.
Speaker 2: Or smarter we had better players, more forgetful. What's okay? What's your prediction? Do you think trivia has gotten harder or easier since we've started?
Speaker 1: I bet it's I bet it's not. It's the I bet it's notistically significant.
Speaker 2: Any other guesses harder or easier? Yanna, you've been playing since the beginning, bro You've been playing since the beginning harder or easier?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: I would have also tried to say statistically significant.
Speaker 1: Well, I didn't say that. I said statistically insignificant or not significant? All right.
Speaker 2: The average score for players in the first forty five games is four point four to eight. The average score for players in the last forty five games is four point nine to five. That means overtime, our player scores have improved by half a point. Would you call it significant or not insignificant? Insignificant? Okay, all right, now, Steve, you may not be familiar, but we have a new segment here on Trivia. At the beginning, it's I FAQ's This is our Infrequently Asked Question segment. If you have a trivia related question for our crew, send it to Trivia at the mediator dot com with the subject line I FAQ. This first one is from Rowdy Duelard. This is Steve, he says, Steve Rowdy duler rowdy. Maybe that's just how he signs his emails. Yeah, rowdy do alert. This is for Steve.
Speaker 1: His drinking name. What's your drinking They're like, oh no, here goes a rowdy.
Speaker 2: What's your what's your drinking name?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I've never had when I quit drinking too.
Speaker 2: But what was your rock rock band, Steve Verno?
Speaker 1: Have you that? No you remember when?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 1: No, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Okay, No, maybe you'll think.
Speaker 1: I've just always been. Yeah, I've just always been.
Speaker 2: He gives nick names, he doesn't receive them.
Speaker 1: Well, no, I have an alien killer.
Speaker 4: An alias isn't a nickname.
Speaker 1: No, you're right, and I came up with it.
Speaker 2: You get to shared or wouldn't it be.
Speaker 1: To share it? Dude? It's like if you're sitting on a plane and you like you'll and you go to air drop, You're not gonna find my ass the air dropping, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: There's some big movie that came out right now, where the the what does it film? Maybe you know this? The writer, the producers, and alias, nobody knows who it is. No tongue idea.
Speaker 5: I know that the the Coen Brothers will often like they'll they'll edit their own movies and then they'll put they'll make up a fake name as the editor. Steven Soderberg does the same thing and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Here's our question.
Speaker 1: Uh my buddy Ben Wallace, he wrote Billionaires Vinegar and he's been on the show before because he wrote about the he wrote about the fend cash. Uh. He's doing a book. He's well into it now, and he didn't he didn't want released. They only just now announced the book. But he's been working on it a long time and he didn't want anyone to know he was working on it because he didn't want to screw up what he was trying to find.
Speaker 2: M hm.
Speaker 1: But he's doing a book about who invented crypto?
Speaker 2: Mmm.
Speaker 1: No one knows who the individual is, does Ben, He's got ideas, but it's more like what he does is I haven't talked about it in a long time. At the time I spoke with him about it. The last time I met with him, he was spending a lot of time on explaining who it's. Not of the many people who've come forward to say it's a Japanese name, which certainly it's an alias, it's like, yeah, just look it up, Yakamo, Like do we even know what crypto is? No? In this book up top, you should probably explain what is that? What is it? All right? Steve?
Speaker 2: This question is what from rowdy Steve seems like he couldn't have cared less about organized sports growing up. Why then, is he so competitive at trivia? Why does he fight tooth and nail when he thinks an answer is correct?
Speaker 1: So what the hell's one have to do with the other.
Speaker 2: I know, maybe it's a lack of competitive sports in your life make you so competitive. Here I learned on the live.
Speaker 1: Toteve I was not interested in organized I'm not interested in organized team sports, particularly watching other people play a game. You know what I mean? Like, I'm just rather to play the game. Do you think you're a competitive That's I told my daughter you to day. She forbade her from You're leading. I just like you want to watch boys play a game and yell about it.
Speaker 2: No, do you think you're a competitive person?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Is that a question?
Speaker 1: Steve is? So, I don't see what the overlap is. We're watching me and my older boy right now are watching Masters of the Air, Masters of the Sky, Masters of the Air. There's a pilot in there. There are is teasing because he doesn't like organized sports, but he's a highly competitive B seventeen pilot.
Speaker 2: Well, Steve is competitive everything and live to where he would get competitive about who made the best order at dinner.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I get stressed about that. I want to make I want to place the order that winds up having like thought through everything and like why everybody ordered the wrong thing and I got the right thing and they're all like, dude, you got the right thing.
Speaker 4: So the.
Speaker 2: Other night we all shared plates that must have been stressful.
Speaker 1: And Y picked that. So I don't want to tease it. I don't want to hear fields watch like lumberjack games.
Speaker 6: Uh huh, I feel it that'd be something you get into because it's just.
Speaker 1: No, because if I'm wat I like to kind of watch. No, I'm no, I don't watch stuff. I mean I watched a lot of stuff, but I wouldn't watch that.
Speaker 6: But it's like a competition where folks are actually like doing something you would deem as useful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I wouldn't even watch like a squirrel hunting contest.
Speaker 2: Probably probably probably Richie just being a CrossFit World champion. Is it safe to assume that you're a competitive person? You could say that, Okay, can you analyze why Steve doesn't care for competitive sports?
Speaker 3: But he's a competitive I mean, hunting is the ultimate competition, right, you know when you think about it's you versus the animal that's he's draw draw to me, I'm not kiss an ass. I'm just like literally, that's what I always equate it to. Ultimate competition.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how did so you think that just in your little mind there, you think that competition in humans didn't emerge until organized sports.
Speaker 2: No rowdy does though, And I just wanted to because if.
Speaker 1: You're looking at like a seventy five thousand year gap of no competitive spirits and humans, yet somehow the species survived.
Speaker 2: Honestly, Steve, I wanted to tell a story about you getting competitive over dinner orders. So I picked this question, and here we are now fifteen minutes later. Now we have some housekeeping again to In a previous game of trivia where Steve hosted, he had a question about states with manatee sightings. About a dozen listeners wrote in saying Steve's phrasing was wrong. Here's an email from Logan Patterson with context. While the text of the question in the video correctly uses incident.
Speaker 5: That's because I changed it.
Speaker 1: Oh, okay, we address.
Speaker 2: We can't address that after let me can we hear it question. While the text of the question in the video correctly uses incidents, Steve does not. An incident with a T refers to any event or occurrence, while incidents with a C refers to the frequency or rate of an occurrence. Rarely does someone use incidents in its plural form correctly or purposefully, So if one is ever unsure of which to use, the answer is almost always incident.
Speaker 1: With a T. I gotta look this up.
Speaker 2: While Steve's first incident of misuse did not initially spur me to write in as he continues to repeat the question, his incidents of misuse caused me to compose this email, And as we just learned, Phil correctly did it in the question.
Speaker 1: So you fixed me up, Phil, but partially Yeah, you've been doing a great job. Did you see that dude that just tattooed that logo on himself?
Speaker 4: We did.
Speaker 2: It's great. Now there's two of us dummies in the world who have the game on sucking.
Speaker 1: Log Can you forward me that feedback?
Speaker 3: Read?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you do some factors?
Speaker 1: Well, no, I'm not a fact check it. I just need to understand. I want to I want to correct it, and I need to understand better what he's saying.
Speaker 5: Did you use the reply when we asked how it saved the fellow's life that tattooed that onto his body.
Speaker 1: A minute ago. I read the whole I didn't know I read the whole thing a minute ago. That's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: You just but you were just gonna gloss over that part of it.
Speaker 1: I don't want to get into the guy's personal information. I just was observing.
Speaker 2: I don't feel like it's worth talking about Corinth.
Speaker 1: Don't you feel like.
Speaker 2: That's too personal?
Speaker 1: To be kind of personal? Okay? I mean I really appreciated it, but I didn't want to. I didn't want to, you know. I mean the guy, I feel like he was kind of writing a personal email and I see right, Yeah, that's your cue. Oh yeah, I recently shared about having a sonogram done on I scrolled him. That's personal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that was your choice, shared it on the air. The Shelby Index for today's round is a three, so our winner should get six correct answers, and with that we're onto the game of trivia. Play the drop, Phil, Look, I need to know what I stand to win everything?
Speaker 1: How's it just tend to win everything?
Speaker 2: Gamon Suckers. Question one. The topic is hunting. In This is multiple choice. Which of these states harvested the most elk between twenty eighteen and twenty twenty. Is it Wyoming, Colorado, Utah or Organs The topic is hunting. Which of these states harvested the most elk between twenty eighteen and twenty twenty, Wyoming, Colorado, Utah, organ Our players were quick to answer. They seem confident. It's everybody ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Rich saying Colorado, Sam saying Wyoming, Karen saying Wyoming. The rest of the room says Colorado. They got it. The correct answer is Colorado. Colorado leads the nation in el carvest, averaging nearly forty thousand filled tags per year between twenty eighteen and twenty twenty. That's followed by Idaho with thirty thousand, Montana with twenty seven thousand, Wyoming with twenty five thousand, Oregon with sixteen thousand, and Utah with fifteen.
Speaker 1: Can you hit me with the top two again?
Speaker 2: Colorado Colorado forty thousand, followed by Idaho with thirty thousand, Montana with twenty seven thousand.
Speaker 1: I would have thought the spread to be even wider, because I mean, I mean Colorado quarter million. Yeah, like twice as many ol.
Speaker 2: Because the don't they harvest the most mule deer as well. In Colorado Biggins Question two, the topic is cooking.
Speaker 1: I don't. I don't think most. I think they harvest more.
Speaker 2: Most boot and crockett. I know that way, but I would assume there's a correlation.
Speaker 1: I bet I bet you. I bet you this state. I bet you this state. I'd be curious. No, I bet you this state numbers dress that in a future and all the dough tag allocations, which Colorado doesn't do. Right.
Speaker 2: Question to the topic is cooking. According to Eater, the key difference between these deli meats is that one comes from brisket and is boiled, while the other comes from a shoulder and is smoked. So you'll have two answers here. According to Eater, the key difference between these deli meats is that one comes from brisket and is boiled, while the other comes from a shoulder and is smoked. Two answers.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, I thought, do it again.
Speaker 2: According to Eater, the key difference between these deli meats is that one comes from brisket and is boiled, while the other comes from a shoulder and is smoked. Yanni, do you have this one right?
Speaker 1: Good?
Speaker 2: Guess, got a good guess. Karen is shrugging her shoulders. You don't think you have this one?
Speaker 4: K Man.
Speaker 1: I don't want to chit chat about it, but I got a couple. All right.
Speaker 2: You're gonna have to argue with Eater if you don't like how they defined these was that?
Speaker 1: Was that? What happened to that jump trap? There was an incident.
Speaker 2: I was gathering up the whiteboards and bumped into it. And now it lays on the ground below and Steve there, there's there's no shortage of one hundred things on the wall in here, and Steve noticed one of them.
Speaker 1: There's one there that I noticed is Phil lost my favorite quote of all time. You can't find it. I've been trying very hard to win. I know chat GPT can't find it.
Speaker 5: Steve just dreamt this quote up?
Speaker 2: Which one?
Speaker 1: It's a quote? Okay? I was in the New Yorker. I was reading a review of an of like It was like a It was like a right up of a bunch of Irish and of one of these obscure Irish novelists. The author said, of seeing his children born, he blank and he had said how they emerge? Streamlined by time like ancient pharaohs and then in an instant they become young. But it was a lot better than that, and Phil lost.
Speaker 2: It is everybody having it framed. Everybody already start a fire with it. Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Rich saying corned beef and roast beef. Say I'm saying pastrami, roast beef. Krinn saying corned beef, pastrami, Randall sang pastrami, corned beef, Steve saying pastrami, corn beef. Garrett sang pastrami, roast beef, Yanni saying corned beef, pastrami, Brody saying pastrami, corned beef. The two answers are pastrami and corned meat. Corned beef is good in off.
Speaker 1: You know what I think. According to who's a guy that did Sharkoutrie, he's been on the podcast, Michael Ruhman, he points out that it's like doesn't have to do with when you put all that coriander on the outside like. He points that out as a defining difference.
Speaker 2: Eater says that pastrami and corn meat use a similar brine, but really start to differ after that. Pastrami often uses shoulder meat, has a heavy spice coating and is smoked, while corn meat often uses brisket, has no applied spice mix and is boiled. If you want to learn how to make these, then go to the mediator dot com and check out our recipe for elk pastrami or corned goose breast.
Speaker 1: Really quick, Rich, did you get that one over here?
Speaker 2: Sorry, roast beef, said roast beef. We're not accepting that pastrami born meat. Question three, the topic is fishing. This next great question comes to us via Jack Grinblat, sometimes referred to as quote double a double handed fly rod. This piece of gear is named after a river in Scotland. Brody and Yanni and Steve are confident, Randall, do you have this one right?
Speaker 4: I do? Guys to use these things, don't use bobbers.
Speaker 2: Sometimes sometimes referred to as a double handed fly rod. This piece of gear is named after a river in Scotland. I've never heard that double flyer out of you throw that name.
Speaker 4: You've heard.
Speaker 1: Someone says I know what he's talking about, but I never heard someone say a double handed.
Speaker 2: Fly It's everybody ready, Garrett, are you gonna get this one right.
Speaker 1: Looks rough, dude.
Speaker 2: That's when competitive people I don't know, you know, slam on the table. That kind of thing happens.
Speaker 1: They have tantrums.
Speaker 2: Is everybody go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Rich saying gravehearts, Sam saying our gyle, Karen saying shinkaku.
Speaker 1: Oh no, you're thinking of uh.
Speaker 2: The rest of the room says spey rod. They got it. The correct answer is spae rod. Spae rods are often eleven to fifteen feet long, and casting them is very reliant on line weight and water resistance. Spare rods can cast great distances, making them a popular choice for salmon and steelhead anglers. To learn about this technique, go to the mediator dot com and read Kooby Brown's article called how to Get started spade casting. If anyone used a spay rod in this room.
Speaker 1: What were you doing with that brotted?
Speaker 2: What were you doing with that spe rod? Okay being all pretentious fishing, No, I'm not like, okay, not in the spae crowd.
Speaker 1: I've done it.
Speaker 2: But those guys, those guys don't like nim fishermen who use bobbers.
Speaker 1: You know what I want to get a new one. Someone's tenkara is a year. I had one, but it was like a ten eleven footer. Yeah, but for where you know, they're practical. No, I want I want a seven.
Speaker 4: Cut the bottom three feet off.
Speaker 1: Well, it wasn't mine, so I was borrowing. I was borrowing it, and I'm like, I see the idea, but this isn't the one. I'm sure they make, Shorty, I'm shorty.
Speaker 2: Question for the topic is public lands? What state is home to Cherokee National Forest, Trail of Tiers National Historic Trail and David Crockett Birthplace State Park?
Speaker 1: What states?
Speaker 2: What state is home to Cherokee National Forest, Trail of Tiers National Historic Trail and David Crockett Birthplace State Park?
Speaker 4: David not Davy.
Speaker 2: They call it David Crockett Birthplace state guy. Respect what this state refers to.
Speaker 1: Name mind reminds me Davy Crockett.
Speaker 2: Just a coincidence. We have a very confident Steve. Steve, you have this one, right, Uh yeah, okay.
Speaker 1: Well no, I don't you know. I honestly don't know. I was going to put something down and then I thought better and put something different down.
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, is everybody ready.
Speaker 1: So no, I'm not there. Not like the other questions.
Speaker 2: This is question for We're waiting on Karen to finish her answers. Brody is rethinking.
Speaker 6: Steve speaking of things on the wall, is that one of our coyotes up there?
Speaker 4: Can you read the three things again?
Speaker 2: Cherokee National Forest, Trail of Tears, National Historic Trail, Davy Crockett Birthplace, State Park.
Speaker 1: No, those are all last year. Those are all tanned up. I haven't said anything in yet.
Speaker 2: Rich is doing a quick change of answer over here, and then we're gonna flip over your quick internet search.
Speaker 3: That's gonna be really embarrassing if I missed it.
Speaker 2: So I just need to go go ahead and reveal your answers. We have written saying Tennessee, Tennessee, Arkansas.
Speaker 4: Karin sang.
Speaker 2: Saying George Revery Tree, Steve sang Tennessee, Garrett sang Tennessee. Yanni sang Oklahoma, Brody sang Oklahoma.
Speaker 1: Born on a mountaintop in Oklahoma.
Speaker 2: We have a correct answer in the room. It's Tennessee. Steve and Rich got that right. I'm from there, Arrett and Garrett, Garrett.
Speaker 4: How'd you get that one?
Speaker 2: Born Tennessee is home to David Crockett Birthplace State Park in the northeast part of the state and David Crockett State Park in the southern part of the state. David Crockett State Park was home to a powder mill, grain mill, and distillery that Crockett owned, but all three were washed away in a flood in eighteen twenty one. The financial hardship of that event caused him to move to West Tennessee, which is where he was elected to Congress. Now our guest, Rich is from Tennessee. Rich, that was the bone I was throwing. Have you spent much time in Cherokee National Forest or David Crockett State Park?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 1: But Daniel Boone National Forest.
Speaker 2: Okay, just a little bit north of me. What what did you change your answer from when.
Speaker 4: Your North Carolina?
Speaker 3: Because it's right there in the close like I was going to start. And then the Davy Crockett Birthplace, you know it was tough.
Speaker 1: Now North caro I got a tribute question for you. What do you got Why wouldn't Crockett eat potatoes? I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't know because he.
Speaker 1: Once had to eat potatoes boiled in human fat. Whoa cured him of it.
Speaker 2: How did that come up?
Speaker 1: Because we had a guy on the show that was a Davy krocketty.
Speaker 2: Why did he Why was he like served potatoes.
Speaker 1: During the during one of the I can't remember. It was during the Seminal Wars. What war was it? They burned a huge building full of captives and all that, and there there was a root cellar below the building, and all those cooking bodies, all that rendered fat dripped down through the burning structure. And later they were starving to death and return to that site and had to go down there and eat those taters.
Speaker 2: Huh you think you could eat taters cooked in human fat?
Speaker 1: No, okay, not even if you were starving. Oh yeah, all starving. I need you cooked starving? Uh.
Speaker 2: Now, North Carolina would be a logical answer because Cherokee National Forest bleeds into there and the Trail of Tears National Historic Trail goes through there. But only David Crockett birth Place State Park. What war was in Tennessee.
Speaker 1: Not the Seminal Wars? I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: Question five the topic is conservation. This is our listener Question of the Week, which was won by Nick Sikowski for sending this great question, Nick is going to get a board game signed by the crew. If you want a chance to win our listener Question of the Week and send your question to Trivia at the medeater dot com. What animal is featured in the US Department of the Interior logo? The topic is conservation. Steve and Randall are so confident they already have their whiteboards down. What animal is featured in the US Department of the Interior logo?
Speaker 1: Man, I'm second guessing. What do you got there? Randall?
Speaker 2: Oh no, no, no, Steve declared. He's in the power corner next to Randall at the end of the table, the foot of the cough, the cough. What animal is featured in the US Department of the Interior logo? Brody looks stumped over here, Steve, we had a different question recently. That's like, okay, we had a different infrequently asked question from a listener who wanted to know who you most enjoy beating at trivia. We assumed your answer would be Brody. Is that correct?
Speaker 1: I was getting old?
Speaker 2: Now just beating him was getting old.
Speaker 1: Okay, bring me a thrill. But like everything you know, where is all?
Speaker 2: Just beating Randa will give you more satisfaction.
Speaker 1: More than I feel like I've been beating Brody longer.
Speaker 3: Kid?
Speaker 2: Does everyone have an answer for the.
Speaker 1: That brings me a thrill? If he really wants to know is when you screw something up and I catch him, that brings me lights up?
Speaker 5: Hey, see how many incidents of Spencer's do you think you've cut?
Speaker 1: Two? Or three?
Speaker 2: Little twinkle in his eye? It is everybody ready, Hold on waiting on Brody. The animal featured in the US Department of the Interior logo. Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Rich saying bison, Sam saying eagle, Krinn bringing Board saying eagle, Randall saying bison, Steve saying buffalo, Garrett saying bear, Yanni saying Canada goose, Brody saying bald eagle. The correct answer is bison, Rich, Steve, Randall, Get that one right. The Bison seal was created in nineteen seventeen, which replaced the eagle seal. The eagle logo was temporarily reinstated in the nineteen twenties and nineteen sixties, but only for a couple of years. The current bison logo, which shows a bull standing in front of snow capped Mountains is nearly identical to the one that was created over one hundred years ago. It's on the TV there next to philomen Fell. We're halfway through the game of trivia. Give us a scoreboard update.
Speaker 5: Yeah, sure thing. We've got Sam w zero points, Krinn has one. We've got Brody, Garrett, Giannis and Rich All with three points apiece, Randall has four, and Hey with a perfect game five points. In first place is Stephen Ranella.
Speaker 2: Everyone's happy for him.
Speaker 4: Tremendous.
Speaker 2: Question six, the topic is gear.
Speaker 1: Oh can I interrupt real quick? What do he got? Uh? Phil, are you aware that there was a bunch of wood paneling left over from the.
Speaker 5: No, from what you talked to Chili about that like to put up and on the walls in this room.
Speaker 1: I guess there was a whole bunch of wood paneling somewhere. That'd be fun. Yeah, I'll go on.
Speaker 2: Question six. Definitely worth bringing that up. In the middle of an episode, Steve said he's getting so forgetful that he forgets what he forgot earlier, So he just had to get that off his chest right now. Question six, the topic is gear. What sporting goods store made national headlines after it destroyed five million dollars worth of Semiado rifles in twenty eighteen. What Sporting good Store made national headlines after it destroyed five million dollars worth of Semiato rifles in twenty eighteen. Confident Brody Steve.
Speaker 1: Well, not really, I didn't know like the verb there.
Speaker 2: Destroyed.
Speaker 1: Really, I just thought they removed him. They didn't do like a steep discounts two for one?
Speaker 2: Garrett? Do you have this one right? Randall? Do you have this one right?
Speaker 1: Fairly certain?
Speaker 2: Is everybody ready? Go ahead? I'm sorry Yanni hasn't even come up with an go ahead and speak up, Yanni, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Rich saying Dix, Sam saying Bob Wards, Karen saying Bob Wards, Randall Bobby Wards, Steve saying Dix, Garrett saying Dick, Yanni saying Kabeli's Brody saying Dix. The correct answer is Dick's Sporting Goods or Feel the Stream. Dick stops selling Semiato rifles in their stores in twenty twelve, and stop selling them at their Field and Stream stores in twenty eighteen. The company CEO said they had the option of selling the guns back to manufactures for an eighty percent refund, but decided to destroy them instead. A twenty nineteen book on the subject said that the guns were sawed into pieces and turned into scrap metal. So yes, that guys.
Speaker 4: Destroyed.
Speaker 1: You never heard that detail. I know they got out of the biz, but I know they like really went and chopped them.
Speaker 2: Up aggressively got out to come into scrap metal. Question seven. The topic is biology, and then it's sell them to the hooties. This next great question comes to us via Josh Ringsmooth. Encyclopedia Britannica defines this nine letter word as quote a relationship between two organisms of two different species in which each benefits. The topic is biology. Encyclopedia Britannica defines this nine letter word as a relationship between organisms of two different species in which each benefits. Players are quick to come up with answers. Garrett has drawn out his Hangman check marks to make sure he hits nine letters, and.
Speaker 6: I got eleven letters.
Speaker 1: Fingers just take.
Speaker 2: Random wor like.
Speaker 6: Everybody wrote it so fast, he's just wrong with two extra letters.
Speaker 2: Nine letter word a relationship between two organisms of different species. In which each benefits. Is everybody ready?
Speaker 7: I want to make soon everybody like, just look, Kate, I got it, but no, I just want to hit me, hit me again.
Speaker 1: With the question.
Speaker 2: Encyclopedia Britannica defines this nine letter word as quote a relationship between organisms of two different species in which each benefits. Sam, are we ready?
Speaker 1: You know what I'm thinking?
Speaker 2: Okay, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Rich saying symbiotic, Sam saying mutualistic?
Speaker 1: Amould still be nine right?
Speaker 2: Symbiotic? Steve saying symbiotic saying co habitats Yeah, symbiotic.
Speaker 1: What do you got, bro? He doesn't get it.
Speaker 2: What's his answer?
Speaker 1: Symbiosis?
Speaker 2: Symbiosis not right.
Speaker 1: Because that's it. That's like a that's like, it's just different.
Speaker 2: It's just different. Mutualism is also not the correct answer. So what's your answer for the correct answer is mutualism? Sam Bates got it right.
Speaker 1: You're not accepting symbiotic.
Speaker 2: The key difference between a mutualistic relationship and symbiotic relationship is that mutualistic relationships are always beneficial for both parties. Well, symbiotic relationships can be beneficial for one party or unfavorable for the other.
Speaker 1: No, that's not true.
Speaker 2: Symbia, like parasite, can be a symbiotic relationship.
Speaker 1: Parasitic relationship.
Speaker 2: That's a symbiotic relationship.
Speaker 1: Though it's parasitic.
Speaker 2: The parasitic relationship is a symbiotic I looked this up in studying for this question. I'm telling you, guys, it's wrong. I just saw.
Speaker 1: Negative mutualistic answer is the circle one?
Speaker 2: Because I just read recently that symbiosis is a form of mutualism.
Speaker 1: You're wrong, dude.
Speaker 4: I wrote down mutualistic, but there are too many letters.
Speaker 2: Writing about some mutualism mutualistic.
Speaker 1: They wouldn't have the word parasitic relationship if they if it was.
Speaker 2: Okay, here's here's hold on. A parasitic relationship is a type of symbiotic relationship. It's where one benefits and the other one does not. There's another difference about how close they have to like be to each other like a a pollinator. Is not a symbiotic relation. Excuse me, what is it? That's a direct mutual indirect mutualistic relationship. I look this up. Both parties benefiting, that's only mutualism.
Speaker 1: The internet will tell us too.
Speaker 2: So now some famous examples of mutualism are the oxpecker birds that eat ticks off the backs of zebras, bees that flowers nettar while also spreading their pollen, and cnemon's who provide shelter for clownfish and in return, the clownfish will clean the anenemies tentacles. So mutualistic sam bits got that one right. Question eight, the topic is cooking.
Speaker 1: I got a real problem.
Speaker 2: But bone appetite refers to this dish as cooked eggs swaddled in sausage meat, then breaded and fried. Bone appetite refers to this dish as cooked eggs swaddled in sausage meat, then breaded and fried. Mutualistic relationships again, are an example of symbiotic relationships, just like parasitic relationships are an example of.
Speaker 6: So how can symbiois is not be an example of a mutual relationship.
Speaker 2: Because I said that both parties benefit, some of us are trying to say, this is how eggs.
Speaker 4: Breaded and fried.
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, again we're on question eight. The topic is cooking. Bone appetite refers to this dish as cooked eggs swaddled in sausage meat.
Speaker 1: I have made one a long time, though.
Speaker 2: Brody, do you have this one right? Randall? Do you have this one right?
Speaker 1: I've been known to down a few of these.
Speaker 2: Okay, every now and then. Yanni, do you have this one?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: I've never made him though, I need to do that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you probably have dude with me. No, I know what you're well, what happened that that might be?
Speaker 2: But I personally haven't made him at home.
Speaker 5: I want some fan art of Randal just downing a glass of these like a Rocky.
Speaker 1: Please, no one create that image.
Speaker 2: Is everybody ready?
Speaker 8: Next t shirt?
Speaker 2: Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Rich saying notre dame, Sam saying toad in the hole, but not that. Karen sang scotch egg, Randall sang scotch egg, Steve sang scotch egg. Garrett sang Dutch egg.
Speaker 1: Yanni said there's a there's a breakfast called a Dutch baby.
Speaker 2: Yanni and Brody said scotch egg.
Speaker 1: They got it.
Speaker 2: The correct answer is Scotch eggs. Scotch eggs were invented in the early seventeen hundreds. They were conceived as a convenient traveling snack for London's wealthy class. If you want to learn how to make them, then go to the meadeater dot com and check out our video called wild Bore Scotch Eggs.
Speaker 1: It's in the We put it in a book. April Bloomfield from UH Hunting guidebook? Right, Yeah, from a Spotted Pig. Was a spotted pig? What was her restaurant in New York? That I can't remember? She did? She contributed to the book.
Speaker 2: She could also learn how to make scotch eggs? And which book?
Speaker 4: Big Game Hunting Guidebook?
Speaker 1: I think No, I think it was in. I think we put it in the you know, we put in the Wild Game Book. Phil.
Speaker 2: We have two questions left. Give us a scoreboard.
Speaker 5: Update, Sam Krin for sure, Rich, Jannis, and Garrett are no longer in the running for the victory. Got Brody with five points, Randall has six, Stephen Ronella has seven.
Speaker 2: Question nine, the topic is wildlife. This next great question comes to us via Dan Patterson. What Night, teen eighty eight comedy starring John Candy and Dan Aykroyd ends with an Alaskan brown bear breaking into a Wisconsin cabin.
Speaker 4: Oh God, come on?
Speaker 2: What nineteen eighty eight comedy starring John Candy and dan Aykroyd, ends with an Alaskan brown bear breaking into a Wisconsin cabin. Garrett, do you have this one?
Speaker 6: I would like you to feed us more of these type of questions.
Speaker 8: Okayay, is this like a movie or a TV show? Okay?
Speaker 1: Is a movie?
Speaker 8: This is not the right answer.
Speaker 1: I feel like I think you've asked questions based off this before, not this, but other details, you know, like.
Speaker 6: Some when we're hiring around here. I think this should be a question that we asked to like decide if they should work.
Speaker 1: They come work. Yeah'd be like, what'd be like? Is uh is mutualism? I'd ask that if.
Speaker 2: Here is everybody ready, we have a confident room, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Rich saying wild outdoors, Sam saying cocaine bear. Karnas had an answer random.
Speaker 1: White steak. They got to eat in the Great Outdoors the old night.
Speaker 4: I'd like to point out I didn't like this answer.
Speaker 2: Steve's saying great outdoors, Garrett saying great outdoors, Yohanny's saying great outdoors, Brody's saying great outdoors.
Speaker 1: They got it.
Speaker 2: The correct answer is the Great Outdoors.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like it's a look the plots look. Uh. John Candy takes his family up. Dan Ackroyd's kind of a blow hard. He's rich, No, he's not. He pretends to be rich. He's low on jingle okay, and like comes up there and he's over.
Speaker 6: Looking the bear is the headed killer bear Claire County.
Speaker 2: That he shot with a shotgun and then they make him the bald ass bear.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the Andy shoots him with a lamp shotgun.
Speaker 1: One of the funniest parts is that dude to get struck by lightning all the time.
Speaker 2: Sixty six times and they head. Besides Candy and Ackroyd, the movie stars Bart, the bear who played the Grizzly that destroys the family's cabin. Bart was known as the John Wayne of Bears, appearing in films with movie stars such as Robert Redford, Morgan Freeman, Ethan Hawke, Steven Seagal, Brad Pitt, and Anthony Hopkins. Bart died in two thousand at the age of twenty three.
Speaker 1: Did he do Grizzly Adams?
Speaker 2: I don't know. He was in everything. He was the bear for Hollywood.
Speaker 1: The John Wayne of Bears.
Speaker 2: Phil, we have one question left who remains.
Speaker 1: In the game out and get a penny.
Speaker 5: That money sad, you know what I mean, hate to see it. Steve has eight points and is two points ahead of Birdiyan Randall, but oh wait wait they can't come back. Steve Winznry already he already wins.
Speaker 2: We will do question ten anyway.
Speaker 1: Question ten nothing sucks the air out of the room like early win Man.
Speaker 2: Question ten. The topic is conservation. According to a twenty twenty three Wall Street Journal article, this new type of mining used five hundred and ninety one billion gallons of water last year's see if maybe Steve can win by three instead of just two. Run up the score a little. Maybe he'll just win by one. According to a twenty twenty three Wall Street Journal article, this new type of mining use five hundred and ninety one billion gallons of water last year. Brody, you have this one right? Does it really matter? Just trying to fill the airwaves with something besides that ticking clock? Brody, it was.
Speaker 6: Explaining symbios to some mutualism a little more.
Speaker 2: Would you like that?
Speaker 1: Well? You know what, I think it wouldn't have done anything for you, man, because like had too.
Speaker 2: If we gave you that point, Well, maybe you'd get a perfect game here, Steve. Maybe you could argue, well, that's what I'm gonna chack because it's like a legacy.
Speaker 1: It's a legacy thing at this point.
Speaker 2: Okay, is everybody ready?
Speaker 1: And aren't you short by doing that? Aren't you short change in the conservation group? We are that this is about everybody right on game show where conservation gets short changed?
Speaker 2: Go ahead into revel. We have Rich saying fracking, Sam saying crypto, bitcoin, whatever it's called. Koran sang fracking, Randall sang hydraulic fracture, Steve saying hydraulic fracking, Garrett sang hydro mining stuff, Yanni saying fracking, Brody saying fracking. The correct answer is bitcoin or crypto curtains. Steve doesn't get his imperfect game either. But we had Rich and Sam get that was good.
Speaker 1: I was like, why are you calling fracking?
Speaker 2: New Bitcoin miners use water directly to computle their computer servers and indirectly by drawing power from gasing fire power plants. Bit environmental have been especially concerned that the US bitcoin capital is in Texas, a state already faced with water shortages. It's estimated that bitcoin mining in a Maria uses enough water for three hundred thousand households each year.
Speaker 1: Man, I wish that that was a good one. That redeemed you off that other one. That was a good question, and I thought to myself, fracking has been around a long time.
Speaker 2: A couple hints it's new mining, and the Wall Street Journal.
Speaker 1: That was a great question. Man, that's that's where he that's what butters his bread?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 1: Thank you questions like that.
Speaker 2: As the winner with eight correct answers, you get to choose where the five hundred dollars donation from meat eater goes. What's it going to be?
Speaker 1: I would like my five hundred dollars donation to go to the National Wild Turkey Federation, only because this morning I was eyeballing my turkey calls in the butter tray of my fridge, wondering how they were doing in there, okay, and I meant to grab them out, but like I said, I keep forgetting ship and never grabbed him out.
Speaker 2: Does the butter tray also house butter? Or is it just turkey turkey calls and butter? Okay?
Speaker 1: Good by keeping this isn't its only a private container? In there, and if not, I got to hit Phelps up for some new ones. But I'm hoping those are good.
Speaker 6: Will you explain that?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 1: Why you put him in there? Yeah, because you know't when I'm going, you know what I'm getting all hot. Just gives him a stable, dark environment.
Speaker 2: Steve puts him in there in case there's a house fire, he won't lose his.
Speaker 1: Did they get too dried out or that they get too hot which leads to that, So just a stable generally dark. I mean, my kids leave the fridge door open for like twenty minutes at a time, but generally, you know, I don't know. Even Phelps says to do.
Speaker 2: That, Richie. Well thanks, Richie. How did you get right five or six? Well, you got the crypto one right that. I'm sorry the odds and you had multiple questions where you were the only one to get it right.
Speaker 8: I have weird information in my brain.
Speaker 6: Sam is also the biggest CrossFit for in in here too.
Speaker 8: I'm the only one that crossed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, Krin used to be big time.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, I.
Speaker 6: Don't.
Speaker 1: Locally.
Speaker 8: That's why I am the one in here. That's why I'm even in here, because I'm the only one in the office that doesn't.
Speaker 1: Which gym do you go to?
Speaker 8: It's called True Spirit Crosspit. It's a small gym.
Speaker 3: We went to CrossFit Bowsman this morning and then Highly Oh yeah.
Speaker 4: We went to both of these Highlight.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So yeah, you guys went to both of them, which dropped in.
Speaker 3: They use our programming and so both those gyms are Mayhem affiliates. Is what our gym is Crosspit Mayhem and we do programming for people, so they follow our programming. So said, hey, stop in super nice people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well done, Rich the fittest man on Earth, and you can play formally formally.
Speaker 8: I thought we'd get some Crosspit questions.
Speaker 2: Now you got a question about I've got to buy some farm.
Speaker 1: So that was a bone farm. Yeah, there you go. So two bone, two bone, double two bones.
Speaker 2: Join us next time for more meat Eater trivia. The only game show Conservation always wins.