Speaker 1: Hey, guys, ready or not, twenty twenty four is here, and we here at breaking points, are already thinking of ways we can up our game for this critical election.
Speaker 2: We rely on our premium subs to expand coverage, upgrade the studio ad staff, give you, guys, the best independent.
Speaker 3: Coverage that is possible.
Speaker 2: If you like what we're all about, it just means the absolute world to have your support.
Speaker 3: But enough with that, let's get to the show.
Speaker 2: Joining us now is presidential candidate Vivek Ramaswami, fresh off of his debate appearance in Miami. Viveke, we wanted to get started with something that's been dominating the news cycle. There was a moment there between you and presidential candidate Nikki Haley. You called out her daughter using TikTok despite her criticizing you. There led to a moment where she called you scum. The moderators actually didn't give you a chance to respond. We're going to play that and we're going to give you the a chance to respond. Let's take a listen and we'll get your reaction.
Speaker 4: Well, I want to laugh at why Nicki Haley didn't answer your question, which is about looking at families in the eye. In the last debate, she made fun of me for actually joining TikTok while her own daughter was actually using the app for a long time.
Speaker 3: So you might want to take care of your family first.
Speaker 4: The next generation of Americans are using it, and that's actually the point.
Speaker 3: You have her supporters.
Speaker 5: You're crapping her up. That's fine, here's the truth. You're an easy answer.
Speaker 3: So what was your reaction to that moment?
Speaker 2: Vi vague into the kind of a broader ideological disagreement that erupted between the two of you all throughout last night.
Speaker 6: Look, I think that there's the ideological disagreement, which I think is more important. There's a personal dimension to this, at least to her. She's used four letter words to name call me in each of the last two debates. And you know what, for a Republican party that is for a long time talked about Hunter, Biden or otherwise.
Speaker 5: I think it's fair game for us.
Speaker 6: To talk about the issues of anybody running for US president. In this case, my criticism wasn't of her family or her daughter, though. It was a criticism of nicky out of touch as a generation to say, this is where young people are, and her utter obliviousness or lack of awareness of it was astounding to say that she's going to be sanctimonious lecturing families across this country about TikTok.
Speaker 5: It would be a gaping.
Speaker 6: Black hole not to observe that, even in your own community, in your own family, like so many young people across this country, being on TikTok is not a sin, but it's worth calling that out. And that's a symptom of a deeper ideological disagreement. You're right that I do have with her. I'm the only free speech absolutist on that stage. People like Nikki Haley Rona Santus as well advocate for censorship of views that they disagree with. If they disagree with the platform they think the right answers for Republicans to virtue signal not show up on that platform. I view things differently, and I think that this is a symptom of a deeper generational divide in the GOP. Same thing with respect to going to foreign wars that don't advance the American interest. Nikki Haley is on the other side of that generational divide, and the irony is that Visa v.
Speaker 5: Trump, she talks the need for generational change.
Speaker 6: The way I see it is that she's on the wrong side of the generational change that the Republican Party actually needs. She might have been an appropriate candidate back in two thousand and two or two thousand and four, not today. Out with the Nikki Halees of the past and onto the future.
Speaker 3: I want to pick up on that about the censorship.
Speaker 2: We really want to give you a chance to actually elucidate some of your thoughts, genuinely very standing out in terms of the rest of the stage. You know, we've had Chris Christie and others saying, you know, this crosses the line from free speech and the hate speech you mentioned Governor Ron de Santis there banning the students for Palestine moment, Why do you think it's important to speak up on this issue even though you ideologically believe that some of the statements made have been abhorrent.
Speaker 6: Oh, I definitely believe that many of those statements are abhorrent. And my first message to the rest of the GOP field is, you know, back when I was writing Woke in a few years ago, it wasn't popular to call out the hypocrisies of BLM or otherwise they were chanting death to America, death to white people, death to Christians.
Speaker 5: Now the chanting death Israel. It's wrong then, it's wrong now.
Speaker 6: But it is interesting where the people who are on their high horses today where they were three years ago or four years ago. The deeper point is this, though, We're a country where all opinions get to be expressed, no matter how heinous.
Speaker 5: That's what makes America itself.
Speaker 6: I mean, the thing that makes America the United States is our First Amendment that says that all opinions go, no matter how heinous. So we're not going to fix anti Semitism by telling people they can't express those opinions. I worry we would make the problem worse, actually creating a worse underbelly of toxic attitudes.
Speaker 5: Young people are lost.
Speaker 6: We need to lead them with actual leadership through example, not through censorship. And the American way is you know what, We're the country that said the Nazis could march in Skokie.
Speaker 5: That's the United States of America.
Speaker 6: That's different than European countries, it's different than other countries.
Speaker 5: Around the world. That's what makes America great.
Speaker 6: Though, And you mark my words for a conservative audience to really make the point if you, then, few years from now, want to go the direction of Ron de Santis or Nikki Haley and sensor views you don't disagree with. What do you think the other side is going to be doing? When it comes to somebody who questions the side effects of vaccines, you'll be able to bioterrorist. Somebody who says jasics peaceful protesters should be released from prison, where you're an insurrectionist terrorist. Somebody who says that you're a concerned parent showing up at a school board meeting, We've already seen it labeled domestic terrorists. So I don't think that censorship should be a partisan issue. The free speech crusade that conservatives have been on, we undermine our own case if we say that it depends on whether you agree with the underlying views. And so are those statements of college campus students and otherwise or students on college campuses heinous?
Speaker 5: In many cases, yes, they are.
Speaker 6: They're lost, and they're clueless about the Israel Hamas conflict. They don't have the first idea about it. But the right answer is to tell them they can't express themselves. That's anti American and I think it's unconstitutional when the likes of Ronda Says That are even calling for using government power to ban student groups on campus.
Speaker 1: Vivig, I want to say, obviously, you and I have a lot of differences. I've really appreciated your consistency that on this issue in particular, and I think it's been very rare, and it was nice to hear at least one person up on the stage last night articulating a clear vision of why free speech is important. I want to dig in a little bit more to you know, you said the statements of some college students are heinous, You've said they're abhorrent. Do you think that it's anti semitic to criticize the Israeli government? Do you think it's anti Semitics to criticize Zionism? Do you think it's anti semitic to call for a ceasefire?
Speaker 6: So I think that we have to be very careful, and I'm not one of these people that just slop willy throws around terms. We have enough anti Semitism that actually exists in the world that we don't need to manufacture more of it. I think more healthy debate on the merriage is good Frankly, look at talk to your friends in Israel as I have. Many of them are critical of the Israeli government. Many of them are appropriately critical of Bebe. If only the American press and the Republican Party here were as critical of the Israeli administration as many Israelis are in Israel, we could actually be having an open and honest debate, as we should.
Speaker 5: So here's my view.
Speaker 6: Israel has a right and responsibility to defend itself, and I think it's wrong. Forget the individual labels that you would use, but I would call it wrong, a defensive to try to create a false moral equivalence between Israel's right to defend itself and Israel's actual defense of its homeland with the Hamas attacks on Israel, which were subhuman, medieval and targeted civilians drawing any kind of force, false equivalents, as you see in the subtext of even some of the comments from Secretary General Guteras and others.
Speaker 5: That's dent wrong.
Speaker 6: So our role is the US, I think should be a diplomatic one at the UN or internationally or otherwise saying that Israel absolutely has the right and responsibility to defend itself, that was the founding vision of Israel. That's what David Ben Gurham that George Washington Israel would have said. That's what I think George Washington would have said if you were in the United States today, but without intervening militarily into somebody else's conflict, let Israel get their own job done.
Speaker 5: Yeah. So, just to want to answer your question a little bit more directly, sure.
Speaker 6: I'll talk about you know, you hear this discussion now coming about Palestinian genocide, right, and I think that's let's just get to the facts, right. I'm not going to use anti Semitic labels or anything else. Let's just get to the facts. I find that laughable because genocide refers to the elimination of a race of people. And so you have to contend with the fact that twenty percent of Israel's population is Palestinian. That's a greater percentage of Israel's population than Hispanics.
Speaker 5: Are blacks of the US population.
Speaker 6: And probably the place on Earth where Palestinians live the best life in terms of a quality of life perspective and as civic participant.
Speaker 5: Citizens is in Israel.
Speaker 6: So when the facts alone speak for themselves, that yes, a lot of these anti Israeli used on college campuses or elsewhere in Europe or elsewhere are deeply misguided.
Speaker 5: But we have to do it.
Speaker 6: If I may say this myself, the way I'm approaching this is win on the facts, win on the arguments, don't silence the expression of the views.
Speaker 1: So, Vivik, I'm sure you know there are international legal scholars who say what Israel's doing right now is a textbook case of genocide. But I want to ask you a different question, though, Do you believe that Israel is following the Geneva Conventions in there? I don't think any very few people will dispute they have a right to defend themselves. But do you think they are and do you think they should be following the Geneva Conventions and international rules of war as they are quote unquote defending themselves.
Speaker 6: I do think the nations should follow the rules of international war. I have not seen evidence that they're not following the rules.
Speaker 1: Let me offer let me offer some evidence. So one of the Geneva Conventions very clearly prohibits collective punishment. Right now, you have all of Gaza, all two point two million sum residents. You know, some hmas many innocent civilians, including women and children, who are under a collective siege. So barring you know, water, food, fuel, et cetera, medical supplies does not not amount to the violation of Geneva conventions.
Speaker 5: I don't think so.
Speaker 6: Those are broad standards, broad they define and Christal, I'm going to answer your question, but I want to be very clear what hat I'm wearing. I'm running for president of the United States, not Secretary General of the UN, not president of Israel or otherwise. And I've been very clear that the US should stay out of this militarily or otherwise. I think we have our isshes to worry about here at home. And so I'm not going to be one of these Republicans or Democrats that say, hey, write a small check to Israel, but then armchair quarterback what they do or don't do, or Monday morning quarterback the decision afterwards or backseat driver from here for what Israel should do. I'm not in that camp, and I'm at least consistent about it because I say we stay out in both directions. That being said, you're asking for my opinion, so I'm not speaking my capacity about what I would do a commander in chief. You're asking for my opinion. Those are broad standards, and as an observer, here's what I will say. I believe Israel is very clear about moving. First of all, where they're going to go, ask civilians, bea give a clear telegraph signal for civilians to protect themselves. I think that it is also telling that other Arab nations, I mean Egypt initially reluctant. I think that there's a lot lot of responsibility to go around. And so when I think about this from the standpoint of a leader who would defend the United States, what would we do. We would have to have a clearly deterrent effect. My rule of thumb is if you hit us, we will hit you back ten times harder.
Speaker 3: Let's let's follow up on that.
Speaker 6: And this is obviously it's fair to allow another country, and it's not even our job to allow or not allow, right, But I'm giving you my opinion.
Speaker 5: I'm an Antieter.
Speaker 1: Well, when we I mean when we fund them with the amount of aid dollars that we do. So, for example, right now on the table is an additional fourteen billion dollars in military aid. You're against it completely.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, articularly against it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and so this is where I want to give you a sense I'm not in the standard axis here. I'm principled and consistent, you know, if I may say so myself on this. I think which is which is the fact that Israel has a right to defend itself, and I diplomatically stand for that, but this is not our war to fight, and I don't think it's good for Israel, and I don't think it's good for the United States for us to mudy those waters.
Speaker 5: So I viewed I said on the stage.
Speaker 6: I think last night there was a lot that went on, but I think I said this on stage, which is.
Speaker 5: I would tell BB you torch.
Speaker 6: The terrorists, smoke the terrorists on your southern border, and then I'm going to worry about our southern border in this country, in the United States of America. And you have our diplomatic support to do it over there, and I expect yours as we do it over here diplomatically. And I'm not going to ask for Israel's military resources to do it, and I'm not going to use ours to do it over there either. And my ultimatum to Iran, which I think will be successful, is you stay the hell out as long as we stay out as well. Let the IDF get its own job done. And that's how we prevent this from spreading to a broader war in the Middle East, and dare I say even a broader war globally, which I don't want to see.
Speaker 5: We're not going.
Speaker 6: To be interventionist, but that means in a couple of different directions, we can't just be also armchair quarterbacking what Israel does or.
Speaker 5: Does not do.
Speaker 6: Yes, it's the job of international bodies to look after whether international laws are followed. I'm not running for President of the ICJ, I'm not running for Secondary General of the UN. But as President of the United States, I think it's appropriate to provide them a diplomatic iron dome to prevent the UENT or the EU from unfairly getting in the way of responding the way we would respond if our own country were hiding.
Speaker 2: Well to get into that, Thovi bak As you said, you're talking about Iran. However, we're already seeing indications that Iranian proxies are escalating not just against Israel, but against the United States. So in this case, we've had IRGC elements or at least reportedly, who've attacked US troops on multiple bases in Iraq and in Syria. We have seen threats from Hezbolah and others to enter the war. In those scenarios and the one that's real world where US troops are being attacked, how would you respond to those attacks? And then secondary it has Bulah enters the war against Israel?
Speaker 3: What would your policy be as commander in chief?
Speaker 5: So a lot there.
Speaker 6: Let me address the first piece of debt first, good questions. So, so my view is if you hit us, you as a group, okay, like the group that hits us. If you hit us, we will hit you back ten times harder. If you're hitting US troops on you US bass, that is not okay, and we will have you pay hell as the consequence of it the group that actually hits us. This is against a broader backdrop saga of my view that we should not be in Syria or Iraq in the first place. We were told that we left or quietly suggested in the American popular understanding of it, that we left these places. Now we find out that our sons and daughters are still sitting targets in places that do not strategically advance the US interests. So I'm not going to say, you know, that's not a decision I would have made, and I would change that in the medium to long run. But in the meantime, if you hit us and you're that group, we will hit you.
Speaker 5: Back ten times harder.
Speaker 3: Okay, Now you.
Speaker 6: Got to be careful about the rules of proxy warfare because then you'll have Republican hawks saying that, oh that means you go preemptively strike Iran.
Speaker 5: Well, on that theory.
Speaker 6: Of proxy warfare, just because Iran is funding some group and then that group does a thing against Israel, then that gives the right to hit Iran. Just think about that logic, say in Ukraine, on that logic, that would give Russia right to hit the United States.
Speaker 5: That would be nonsense.
Speaker 6: And on those broken theories of proxy war engagement, that's what provides a path to World War three, which I want to keep us out of.
Speaker 5: And I believe that staying out.
Speaker 6: Of World War three right now is a vital US national interest, especially when our homeland is as vulnerable as it's ever been. And so I would redirect a lot more of our national defense spending, not to random presences in places like Syrian Rock, but to protecting our own homeland from everything from cyber attacks to super emp attacks, which yes, Iran could mount on the United States taking out electric grid, to nuclear missile defenses, to more basic missile defenses, to basic defenses of our border, to space based defenses. Nobody's talking about this. This is where the priorities actually need to be. And that's where my worldview would be as commander achieve focus on defence of the homeland stat of World War three, and let Israel get its own job done given the diplomatic iron dome, they need.
Speaker 3: To do it so Vivak.
Speaker 1: Of course, the reality is that you know, the bombs that are being dropped oftentimes on Palestinian civilians at this point are stamp made in America. And I wonder if you were that this fuels a security concern for our population, and if we're not breeding by allowing us to continue this indiscriminate response from Israel, if we're not breeding extremism and hatred toward our country that could both fuel you know, attacks on our troops, but also the type of terror that we experience from al Qaeda and ISIS and the like.
Speaker 6: That extremism exists, whether or not we're breeding it. I do worry about the threats to the United States, though seventy thousand special interest aliens crossing our southern border that were just the ones that were apprehended last year. I mean the day I visited the southern border about a month ago, the night before, there were two eleveniest men that had just been apprehended crossing. And for everyone who's apprehended, we don't know how many more, but we know there's a lot.
Speaker 5: More that weren't.
Speaker 6: And so yes, I think there are serious concerns, but the way we address that foremost is through actual border security, which we're missing both on our.
Speaker 5: Southern border and our northern border too.
Speaker 6: And so I don't think that we're going to convert people who are in of a jihadist mindset out of it. But I also think that we have to be we don't need to be going out of our way to increase those risks to ourselves as well. So again my view, I don't mean to be repetitive here. Let Israel defend itself, we stay out militarily. I think, even from a financial standpoint, my general rule of thumb is we're thirty four trillion.
Speaker 5: In national debt. We shouldn't be giving four and aid.
Speaker 6: It's certainly new elective for an aid to any country whose national debt per capita is less than ours.
Speaker 2: Last question to you, and this is on the electability front. The last time we spoke to you were the number two candidate in the race. We've seen a pretty major poll movement to Nikki Haley and with Ron DeSantis, you've kind of fallen out of that. What is your plan to close that up and to actually perform in Iowa and in New Hampshire?
Speaker 6: Yeah, bounced around. If you're number two and number four nationally. That the reality of UK politics. Horse race stuff. The other candidates, they're super PACs, have been flooding the airwaves with advertisements.
Speaker 5: We haven't done that until this week.
Speaker 6: My own campaign is going to be the one that's actually putting up ads in Iowa, New Hampshire. So we're competing to win. I think we're going to be successful. Nikki Haley hasn't faced the scrutiny. I'm going to just speak a hard truth, but I just think it's true. The mainstream media believes, I think for identitarian and for identity politic reasons, and even the Republican establishment, though they criticized identity politics, practices it all the time. I think that she has been shielded from a form of criticism and the things she's for letter names. She's been using the whole debate stage. But then you throw a criticism in reverse and suddenly she can't handle it. My view is, just because you have two X chromosomes doesn't mean you're immune from criticism for the corruption of selling off our foreign policy in your time in the un to become a military contractor, to become on the board of Boeing, who used back you scratched for years as a governor of South Carolina, collecting stock options in the middle of running a presidential campaign. Unprecedented as far as I know. You have Hillary Clinton's style, secretive speeches to foreign actors, making millions of dollars, going from being bankrupt in debt as a family becoming a multimillionaire. Republicans criticize Biden for this, but have been careful delicate about touching this around Nikki Haley and her family's issues. Well, if you're running for president of the United States, I think she's going to get that scrutiny. The media is not giving it to her. I gave it to her on that debate stage, and I'm just getting warmed up. And so I think when people see through that corruption, we're going to have a result here that puts us right back in that number two position. I think by you know, between the period between Io Caucus and Super Tuesday, and I expect to be the nominated.
Speaker 1: All right, I got I got a one last one for you. You made a quip about Dick Cheney and three inch heels last night. Are you a Ron De Santis heel truther?
Speaker 3: Yes or no?
Speaker 5: I said, there's two of them on stage. That's what I said.
Speaker 3: All right, all right, how tall are you to bank?
Speaker 5: For the record, I'm just short of six.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, just short of six. There we go.
Speaker 2: So he's right in line with the with the average. All Right, we appreciate you joining us, sir, Thank you very much.
Speaker 5: Appreciate it.